LittleDragon & friends: 2 months in – going strong!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Welcome to The Fast Diet and Exercise forums
LittleDragon & friends: 2 months in – going strong!

This topic contains 1,641 replies, has 48 voices, and was last updated by  Jenki2 8 years ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1,401 through 1,450 (of 1,646 total)

• I seem to have lost the plot at the moment. Yesterday I ate what I thought was reasonably healthy food throughout the day, then when I totted up my calories last night was gobsmacked to find I had gone over my calorie limit by 350 cals. Looking back over my calorie counter I found that Fresh squeezed orange juice, Sugar free Muesli and Stewed plums bumped up breakfast cals. Ate lunch out, bowl of soup and Cheese & Ham toasty on Wholemeal, could have ditched the toasty but was hungry at the time. Half way through I was stuffed, but I hate wasting food so forced it down! Then at night Japanese chicken and noodle salad with fresh fruit and yogurt totted up to over 700 cals. then mug of Ovaltine with skimmed milk. I am still amazed that even though I am eating healthily, the calories just mount up. I am now at the point where I hardly ever eat potatoes (even though I love them – once I start I can’t stop) Home baked bread is a treat. The jam has gone, not to be replaced, among other things, and pastry of any kind is verboten!!! The occasional treat of cake lies heavy on my stomach, so don’t bother with that any more. I was hoping that when I started 5:2 that I would still be able to eat these things, but in fact my body is telling me that it just doesn’t want them. Weird! Oh well, Fast day tomorrow, and I shall be getting in the swimming pool for the first time in years (thanks all for the encouragement) so hopefully I will have some success at losing the weight gained last week. Watch the cals. on eating days everyone – they have a habit of sneaking up on you when you least expect it!!!

Afternoon Thirdtimelucky – maybe you shouldn’t total your calories on a non fast day, you ate healthily and isn’t that what we’re all aiming to do. If you hadn’t totted up your calories you would have been perfectly happy. Of course we’re all different and have to adapt 5:2 so it works for us.

I have just eaten what I wanted on non fast days and been meticulous at recording what I have on Fast Days – it seems to work and is very liberating. For the first time since my early 20s I feel like a normal person and not someone either on a diet, just failed a diet or thinking about a diet. Maybe give it a try xxx

Enjoy the swimming tomorrow – once you’re in am sure you’ll enjoy it.

Had a lovely night yesterday went to Pizza Express with my parents and children. Was very naughty had starter, main course and pudding, plus two large glasses of wine (which made me a little merry!!). So today am doing an extra fast just to get back on track! Haven’t weighed this week as have been celebrating my birthday but can feel a little bit may have crept on!

On a date tomorrow night too, so thought I had better not fast or I might pass out on him!! So will be fasting Tuesday and Friday this week I think!!

Hope you’re all having a wonderful weekend, it’s a beautiful day down here in the South East.

xxx

Thanks Hilly, I guess I do obsess a bit about this. I still get staggered by how many calories I used to eat in a day (volume of food, albeit healthy) I am still trying to get a handle on how much I should be eating to help weight loss on non FD, but maybe I am trying too hard. Have it in my head I would like to be 10 st by May for holidays. It’s a goal that’s doable but it’s not the end of the world if I don’t get there. Can’t decide if I’m looking forward to swimming tomorrow, but will def do it. The flab requires it!
    Have a great date tomorrow night.

Afternoon/Evening all.

Today was a struggle for me. Very little sleep combined with a fast day will bring the monsters out but we are almost there. Thank goodness.

Had a weekend of non-stop eating really – didn’t really monitor calories at all which was liberating. Had chips for lunch on Saturday and felt awful after, I really think my stomach isn’t used to taking all this greasy rich food anymore.

Sunday I went to my gym class, had a banana for breakfast and combined lunch and dinner with rice, chicken, lamb, a bit of cheese. Overall not a great weekend, but not the worst. Ran on Friday morning too to try and offset the damage.

Realised that if my weight hasn’t shifted at the end of this week, that will make it a 4 week plateau, really frustrating.

Got a chili con carne slow cooking for tonight for dinner, so can’t wait for that.

Good morning all from snow covered Angus. Had a bad night after fasting yesterday. Can’t say that I was hungry, but very unsettled. Made it to swimming yesterday only to be told that the class was full, it was a first come, first served basis. No-one told me that when I made enquiries last week. Grrr Will try again tomorrow as I don’t fancy going out in this weather today. Managed to lose 1lb from Friday weigh in. Back to where I was before. OH stayed the same for the first time, and he is not impressed. We are both committed to this WOL now, so it will come off. Important to us both is the prospect of better health in old age. 4am this morning I was reading Michaels book, yet again. I seem to see something new every time I pick it up. Have noticed my rings and watch are much looser than before, who would think you would lose weight on your hands! Warming beef stew with lots of vegetables in the crockpot for dinner tonight, minus the potatoes! Happy fasting everyone.

Poor you Third Time Lucky struggling to sleep, can be a problem sometimes, with me it’s because I’m cold and can’t seem to get warm!!

Little Dragon move away from the scales – am sure they’re not helping you, ask your OH to hide them from you. It’s making you fret and you know if you keep doing it you will be successful.

Fasted yesterday all day but not sure how many calories i had in the evening because i was on a date and had a club sandwich. Date turned out to be a fail, thought we’d got on well but he has just cancelled our Saturday date because there wasn’t enough passion(translate that as I wanted to get to know him before anything happened!!) – what a creep! Lucky escape for me 🙂 I think destination old lady surrounded by cats and books is approaching!!

Hope the rest of you are doing well.

x

Weigh in yesterday – I put on 1lb! I suppose a gain of just 1lb over the course of a month is not something to kick myself about, but I’d much rather have lost some weight!

I am fully aware that I’ve not been particularly disciplined lately. It all seemed to go downhill after my trip to London….. eating whatever the hell I wanted that weekend messed with my mind, and I’ve been struggling to get back into a proper sensible eating routine ever since.

Oh well, today is a new day! I think I need to start holding back a few extra calories for the evenings, as that is still my weakest time.

Upping my exercise would also be a good plan, but swimming/ walking will have to be put on the back burner for the time being. I went on an 11 mile ramble with a local walking group on Sunday. I wore a pair of walking boots that I’ve worn many times before with no issues…. on Sunday they decided to rip my heels to shreds!

I’ve got a huge patch of red raw skin on the back of each heel, and all the skin that’s been scraped off is bunched up in tight ridges! Sounds delightful, doesn’t it? They’re so painful, so walking any distance is not doable. I also don’t want to risk getting an infection, so visiting my local pool is probably not a very good idea.

I’ve booked an appointment to see the nurse (they’re that bad!), but she can’t see me until Friday afternoon.

Normal eating day for me, but I’m holding off on having my breakfast at the moment. I’m not particularly hungry, and I’m hoping that by shifting all my meals to a couple of hours later than normal, I might be able to avoid the evening ‘crave-fest’!

Morning all

Anyone else fasting today?

Thanks for your words of encouragement Hilly. The scales seem to be shifting in the right direction, weighed on Tuesday morning and have apparently lost 2 pounds on last week – makes no sense given that I was eating and drinking all kinds of nonsense over the weekend (although did exercise Friday and Sunday) but not arguing with that – I’m just glad to be seeing some shift again. So I’m now back at the weight that I was at in September last year and only 5 more pounds to go before I am at the lowest I was at in 2014. Then to keep going!

My OH has decided to intervene with my scales obsession and he’s going to be hiding them from me so that I can only weigh once a month from now on. Let’s see how this lasts – to be honest it’s probably a good thing for me.

Hilly sorry to hear that the date turned out to be a dud – can’t believe what a creep he is – and definitely for the best that you dodged that one. There will be others out there and you certainly won’t be the cat and book lady – not with that fabulous bod! To be honest I think I sensed something was a bit off when he asked you to wear a skirt on your date! Weird!

Had a very rich dinner last night – very greasy and felt absolutely horrible afterwards, awful tummy, bloating, I think after Saturday when I felt really uncomfortable after lunch from the chippy and a burger, my body has definitely given such bad food the thumbs down. Noticed lots of people say the same for when they fast and eat greasy food. I suppose it can only be a good thing in that it’ll help steer me away from making bad choices from now!

Hi ClickBeetle.

I’m sorry to hear you are disappointed – but like you said, 1lb gain is nothing to be upset about. I know it’s very easy to be disheartened and discouraged but you had a great first month, let that spur you on. Last year I came off the 5.2 completely and regretted it so much so you mustn’t let this deter you from pressing on. Sounds very like your feet are really sore, how horrible for you, I hope they heal (or heel!) soon!

Did you manage to dodge breakfast?

I think something people forget when they’re losing weight is that their overall calorie intake should be lowered if the weight is to keep coming off. I think you mentioned you’re 11 pounds lighter than you were at the beginning so keep that in mind – your body will need less calories at a resting rate to maintain your weight so worth considering lowering on fast and eating days.

I think I am going to try not to weigh myself til the end of March/beginning of April. I know the feeling though, of knowing that you’ve been a bit bad and feeling like you ‘deserve’ to have gained weight but you must not guilt yourself. This is why this WOL is good – you can have what you want within reason – imagine if you’d not been fasting and eaten what you wanted, how big the gain might have been! 1lb is nothing in comparison so do not fret 🙂

Are you fasting tomorrow, good luck if so!

Evening everyone,

Clickbeetle how annoying that a sneaky pound has crept on! Don’t be dis-heartened, if you haven’t already measure yourself too and check that periodically too. Sometimes nothing moves for weeks on the scales but your measurements reduce.

Woo hoo Little D the scales have finally budged and am glad OH is hiding the scales from you am sure that will help.

I fasted today, seemed to go well, but I fell a bit bigger at the mo. Due to weigh tomorrow but may chicken out! Have had a weird experience a few times; woke up in the small hours to discover cramp (think that’s what it was) in my big toe, it was sticking up in the air and I had to rub it before I was able to move it back!! Think it’s happened a couple of other times too but was too sleepy to register properly!! What’s that all about?! Cold again as usual?!!

Night everyone and good luck any fabulous fasters tomorrow.

x

LittleDragon – congrats on the 2lb drop! We all knew it was clinging on just to be awkward – glad you managed to kick it’s little butt!
    Well done to your OH for grappling the scales off you! I’m pretty sure I would have quit a long time ago if I was weighing myself every week…

I’m confident that I can get back on track. I know exactly how many calories I SHOULD be eating… but I also know full well that I’ve been cheating.
    Yesterday I stuck rigidly to 1700 calories (my current TDEE is about 1800), and today is a fasting day, so I’m hoping that I can get myself back into a proper rhythm again.

(BTW – I didn’t dodge breakfast completely, but I did hold off until 11am!)

Hilly – I don’t measure myself, but my clothes are definitely looser and people have started to make pleasant comments! That can only be a good thing!

I know what you mean about sometimes feeling a little bigger. If you don’t feel happy about weighing yourself, don’t do it! Leave it a week, or even just a few days.
    The cramp in the toe – ouch! Um… sodium or potassium issues? I have no idea! It’s horrible when you get woken up by a cramp.

Good luck to everybody today, whatever it is you’re doing. x

Morning all – I certainly feel like spring is on its way – was a lovely on my run this morning – fresh but sunny, which was nice. Makes getting up a lot easier. I can’t wait for warmer weather.

Managed to make it through yesterday’s fast day – I really feel like the idea of fasting is much worse than the day itself. I always dread them, but I wasn’t really that hungry yesterday – obviously the usual rumbles come and go but it’s nothing unmanageable. It’s quite empowering knowing that you can do without food the whole day and the benefits it’s giving you.

CB85 – sounds like you are taking the right approach to this – don’t let it derail you! You must keep going – think about all those lovely compliments you’ve got – so something must be working even if the scales aren’t in your favour at the moment, it’s really rewarding when people start noticing, eh.

Hilly, what do you think has been contributing to you feeling bigger recently? I do know the feeling but normally it’s when I haven’t been fasting or I’ve been eating excessively. If you’ve been fasting (I think you did 3 fasts this week) then you should be fine. A good indicator would be your clothes and how they are fitting.

Good luck to any fasters today. xx

Evening everyone!

I weighed + 2lbs eek!!! That’s birthdays and a bit less running for you!! My head is in a good place so am not too worried. It will go away again!!

Cramp in my big toe isn’t dehydration or lack of salt (always have a salty drink on a fast day!) so may be a lack of another mineral like pottasium, magnesuium or calcium – will buy some bananas (not my fav fruit), brazil nuts and have porridge a few more times for breakfast and see if that makes a difference.

Click beetle you sound so positive and motivated I have no doubt you can do this. You’re so organised. xxx

Little D such good news to hear how well you’re doing, totally back on track.

xxx

Hello everyone, hope everyone ailments and disappointments are past and we’re all back on track again. Hilly, sounds as if you had a good miss with that t–t you had a date with, What on earth do some people expect on a first date!
    My philosophy is, there is always something better waiting up ahead.

Finally made it to Aqua fit on Wednesday. a really good work out, was even sweating in the water!!! but because of the water resistance, I didn’t get any aches and pains afterwards. Thoroughly enjoyed it and will def continue with it. Certainly needn’t have worried about my shape in a swimsuit. All the ladies were my age or older, and all shapes and sizes. Yesterday was my Pilates day and got really cold in the hall. Haven’t warmed up yet and am sitting here with four layers on and still cold. Hope I’m not coming down with yet another cold!

FD yesterday and delighted to have lost another 1lb. That’s two for the week and three for OH. So after 7 weeks he has lost a total of 9 lbs, and his pants are much looser. I have lost 6.5lbs and a massive 4″ off my waist! We got the Fast Exercise and Mimis Recipe books this week. Tried one of them for salmon last night, it was delicious, and I could barely finish my plate, more than enough for me. My stomach has definitely shrunk. Filled in my tracker today and my calorie allowance for eating days is now 1558. I think I can still cut down on volume rather than what I am eating. At least we are heading in the right direction.

Little D. Well done for hiding the scales! Don’t think I could put off a weigh in for a whole month. We weigh the day after both FDs which is good for me, as I was weighing every day at one time!
    Have a great and skinny weekend everyone, Spring is on the way!

Wow 3rd Time Luck you’re doing so well. Aqua fit sounded good – the thought of something is often worse than actually doing it, sounds like it was fun.

Had a mad weekend this weekend ferrying my daughter to trampoline things, have spent far too much time on the M25!! Lol had a severe case of diarrhoea on way back from first venue in Berkshire – omg nearly killed me driving home and keeping everything together!!!! Lost Friday night and Saturday morning!! Feel much better today 🙂

Am fasting tomorrow, who’s joining me?

x

Yup, I’m with you today Hilly66. Hope your stomach has settled now. Had a dreadful night and didn’t get to sleep till about 4am, so feel shattered before I start. After buying the Fast Exercise book, today was the first day to try it. So out of bed and straight on the mini trampoline jogging. Wow, the 20 seconds intense running sure gets the blood pumping! It will be interesting to see what the difference is later. Had a breakfast out of Mimis cook book. Again for 125 cals, my plate was full and I could hardly finish it. I bummed out over the weekend without really trying, finishing with a coconut macaroon. (It was gluten free so didn’t feel bloated after it) Determined to stay within calories today although we will be out and about and OH insists on going for coffee (to a well known coffee shop) where all the goodies are under your nose! Oh well, the scales will tell the story tomorrow! Have a great day all.

Afternoon all. Hope everyone had a lovely weekend. I am fasting today, I definitely think Monday is a great day to fast after a weekend of sheer indulgence.

Did my usual gym class yesterday which went well and also did a run on Saturday to combat some of the eating. Friday night went for a heavy dinner with chips and a very rich dessert. Saturday had a big lunch and burger and chips for dinner then Sunday lots of Spanish food. Loads of food out this weekend which was delicious but I certainly can’t eat as much as I used to be able to.

Trying to resist the scales til beginning of April now!

Fasting today and Wednesday this week. Small non-scale victory – a coat that I bought at the end of Dec before I started fasting this year was previously quite tight on me and was strained when I did the buttons up – it now does up with ease and quite roomy when I wear it buttoned up. Hooray!

Evening peeps,

came home after a long long day (work + a further 1 1/2’s tutoring) absolutely shattered!! Heaven my Mum had popped in and had left dinner for us all – haven’t worked out the calories yet but can’t be too terrible, home made curry and rice. Feeling very contented now!

Glad your coat is fitting better Little D it’s such a good feeling when that happens isn’t it.

How has the fast gone girls? I like Monday fasts too; this will be my day should I ever get to target and move over to 6:1.

xxx

Well, both OH and me increased by 1.5lbs today! Yikes! Feel we had done reasonably well except for that bloody macaroon! It was covered in Chocolate with a jammy filling. Oh well, onwards and downwards. Trying not to feel too fed up as I notice that I do put weight on at Tuesday weigh ins, then lose it after Friday weigh ins. Guess that’s after a bit of ‘letting go’ over the weekend. I can def tell a difference in my trousers. They don’t cling around the legs as before, and the waist is much looser. Am putting off buying trousers for my holidays as I want to get the right size. The rebounding is going well, gruelling for the 20 seconds then OK. It’s amazing how we all want instant gratification and expect things to happen overnight. Just looked at my old weight loss chart from my other regime, and it took me 7 months to lose the same amount of weight I have lost doing the 5:2 in 7 weeks! Lovely day here after the gales through the night – will hopefully get a long walk in today. Happy days all you losers!

Morning all

Hilly my fast yesterday went really well thanks, I actually didn’t feel hungry at all all day – had the usual odd rumble but I think as a result of my over indulgent weekend, I set myself up for an easy Monday fast. I was very glad to be detoxing after how I felt when I went to bed on Sunday night – very very very full!

Not fasting today – but going out for dinner tonight, so will make a healthy choice for lunch to make up for it. I really like that you can fast and still maintain a normal social life when dining out. It’s great.

Went for a run this morning, my pace is increasing so I’m pleased with that. I am trying to abstain from weighing til first week of April – wish me luck!

Third Time Lucky – don’t be disheartened by your small increase, I always fluctuate loads – I can be up 2 pounds or down 2 pounds in the same week – as long as the overall picture shows a downward curve then you’re on track. Sounds like you are doing a great job!

How is everyone doing?

Great sunny day here in Bonnie Scotland. Managed a three mile walk (with intermittent exercise along the way) down by the riverside. Exhilarating! Then OH took me for lunch , lovely bowl of Ham & Lentil soup followed by, wait for it, a delicious fruit scone lathered with homemade raspberry jam. (didn’t have the butter tho) Can’t seem to keep away from the sweet stuff at the moment. Aqua fit tomorrow morning, so hopefully the cals will burn away. Enjoy your dinner tonight Little Dragon, it’s great to know we can all eat a nice meal without the guilt.

Third Time Lucky sounds like you’ve had a lovely day, it’s a sunny day where I am too. I also had soup for lunch, how funny, also a Ham and Lentil! I had a small bread roll with it and some 97 calorie pop chips, which I am a big fan of these days. Also had a nakd cocoa bar which I love and it’s a sweet treat without the guilt.

Good morning everybody!

Feels like I haven’t been on this forum for ages! Looks like everybody has been busy and active lately.
    Third Time Lucky – I have a bit of an obsession with scones at the minute! Yum!

***WARNING – RANT APPROACHING!!***

Does anybody else come across people who are, shall we say, less than supportive of this WOE? I nearly lost my temper at work the other day!

My colleague doesn’t ‘do diets’ of any sort. Although she tolerates me following this plan, she’s the first to jump down my neck if I have a bad day.
    For example, I came in to work the other morning feeling totally drained and very sleepy! I put this down to having caffeine at the weekend, which severely interrupted my sleep for two nights.
    My colleague immediately blamed 5:2. But, (I protested), I can do a 4 mile walk or swim for 50 minutes when I’m fasting. NO, you’re obviously starving yourself! It’s no good for you!

Later in the afternoon a selection of cheesecake samples were brought into the office for us to try.
    I said I would have a mouthful just before going home (I like to stretch my fasting period out as long as possible). The response I got was “Don’t be so stupid, have it now and eat the whole slice. You clearly need to eat something today. It’s only one piece of cheesecake.”
    Then the manager chipped in ‘jokingly’ – “You don’t need to lose any weight! Are you sure you’ve not got an eating disorder? Or have you got that body dysmorphia? Just eat it now, you need to try it.”

I will try a mouthful, later, when I decide I want it.

“Oh for goodness sake, just have some now! You’re making yourself poorly. You’re not eating enough to keep you going!”

They were both ganging up on me now, trying to force me to eat something, refusing to listen to me when I said no.

ARGH!!!!! This is the point when I lost it! I’m eating plenty, thank you very much. I’m feeling healthier than I have done in a long time. I am at the top end of the healthy BMI for my weight, and I would like to be somewhere near the middle. I’m not starving myself, and I do not want to look like a skeleton.

Both of these two colleagues regularly try to get me to eat during my fasting days, no matter how many times I say no. “Just have one, don’t be so silly. One’s not going to hurt you.”

I’m sure their reactions are based on the fact that they don’t really understand what this WOE entails. I’ve tried to explain it as best I can, but I still get met with the same comments over and over again, the same negativity. It’s very frustrating!!

Sorry, I just had to get that off my chest!

I’ve had a few good days and a few bad days recently. I’ve discovered that I’m consistently eating around 1900-2000 calories on my normal days, so about 200 over my TDEE based on a sedentary lifestyle.
    I am walking a lot more than I used to, and doing sessions of light exercise most days – selecting ‘light activity’ on the calculator gives me a TDEE of 2068, so perhaps this is my body saying “this is how much I would like please”.

I’m mixing things up and doing 4:3 instead of 5:2 for the next couple of weeks, but I’m not actually going to reduce my overall weekly calorie intake. This means that I will be eating extra calories on my ‘normal’ days, without feeling like I’m failing. I hope that makes sense!

I really can’t wait to get back into swimming so that I can burn off calories and start to tone up. My heels are slowly improving, but I don’t want to undo the repair by soaking them in pool water just yet!
    Sunnier days are (hopefully!) just around the corner, which means I can think about starting the Couch to 5K running plan once again.

Best of luck to all of you today and the rest of the week. Thank you all again for your continued support. You’re a lovely bunch! 🙂

Grrr!!!

As if on cue, my manager has just made another negative comment!

Our office corridor is like a freezer even on the warmest days. This is a universally agreed fact among the whole team, not just my personal opinion. I walked past my manager and made a “brrrrr” sound. His comment – “That’s because you haven’t got any meat on your bones. You need to start eating properly, stop all this dieting nonsense. Hahahaha!”

Starting to get very boring……

I sympathise, same happens here at work – I now don’t tell people I am on a FD…..seems to be much simpler!!

Evening everyone,

Click Beetle that is so disheartening, bet you feel like picking up one of those cakes and shoving it … Answer them by gradually disappearing, then they’ll be asking you heaps of questions!! Two teachers at my school have now started doing it, having seen me vanish over the course of last year!! I’ve done Couch to 5K a few times, most recently Feb last year, was thinking only last night, wow I have been out running 2 -3 times a week most weeks for more than a year now, does that make me a runner?!!!!

Have a good fast today but am feeling a bit cold and hungry as I toddle off to bed in a mo!

3rd Time Lucky and Little D lol didn’t join you on the lentil soup!! Just had bovril for lunch and tonight had an omelette made with two eggs, 23g feta, 1/2 a red pepper and half a red onion, plus 1/2 tsp olive oil. Yum yum yum. Also had the most delicious pudding, 50g Greek Yoghurt + strawberries, blackberries and raspberries and the sheer decadence!! 1tsp of sugar!! Mwah!! It was heaven.

Right bed for me, two more days til the weekend. Have a wonderful day tomorrow everyone.

xxx

Gosh where was everyone today?

Weighed myself today down 1.5lbs, so now back on my original target with just seven to go to my final one! Hope I might get there by about June/July time.

Went to work in my new Size 10 Boden trousers (an absolute steal in the sale at only £17.25), it felt wonderful 🙂

Look forward to finding out everyone’s news tomorrow.

x

Love your “rant” Clickbeetle. I can imagine every word. The thing is, people don’t like change. They have you / all of us, labelled “the fat one” and as we begin to change it upsets their applecart. They don’t know who we are anymore. Not your problem, they will eventually learn to look at you in a new light, but it will take time.

Hilly, size 10 trousers!! wow!

Little Dragon, what are pop chips? never heard of them. I don’t know how you can resist the scales. I weigh myself most mornings.

Third time lucky, I admire your exercise regime. I do 10 minutes running on the spot every morning, intermittent slow and very fast. I know it is doing me good. I am slowly increasing the exercise, plus I do a lot of walking.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Good morning fellow fasters: Clickbeetle – I’m with Applepie on this one, when they see the changes for the good they will want on board. Applepie – if someone told me a year ago I would be doing all this exercise I would have said CRAZY. The thing is now I actually want to do it because I know it’s better for my health than sitting on the couch watching TV! It didn’t come overnight though, so just do what you can and add a little more to it as you go. It’s surprising how it builds up. Choose something you enjoy doing and it will be easier for you. Well done with making a start! Size 10 Hilly – don’t think I’ve been size 10 since I was 10!
    Did a successful FD yesterday along with Pilates session – lost 1/2 lb. Was hoping to lose all I put on last week but didn’t happen. Still it was equivalent of 1/2lb butter off somewhere. OH lost just 1/4lb and was disheartened, but still its downwards.
    Having friends for dinner tonight so that will pile the cals on. Have made Bakewell Tart and Pannacotta with roast plums to give them a choice for dessert. Who am I kidding, just making sure there is something left for dinner tomorrow night too! Oh well, I feel a third FD coming on to try and balance things out. We’ll see how we get on. Have a great weekend everyone.

Janey, Hilly, Applepie and TDL – thank you for your supportive comments! And I must apologise for the rant…. I just had to get it off my chest!

I’m ok now, it’s all water under the bridge… until they make another comment of course.

Hilly/ Applepie – That’s the thing, they have already noticed that I’m disappearing! I think the problem may also be that I’m not technically “overweight”, so they can’t see such an obvious need for me to lose weight. But I know where my trouble spots are, and I would feel much happier at my goal weight.
    I’m tall and quite broad-shouldered, big boned etc., so any extra weight only serves to make me look blocky and stocky, not curvaceous and sexy!
    P.S. – Yes Hilly, I think that officially makes you ‘a runner’! Well done for keeping it up and incorporating it into your normal routine!

Janey – I work in such a small, nosey parker office, I can’t possibly hide my fasting days! Plus, they’re all a bunch of feeders… you turn down the offer of a biscuit or cake and they demand to know why!

Enjoying my first week of 4:3. I’ve had a couple of very successful fast days so far this week, and I’m on my third today. Working late tonight, helping out in the onsite pub for a private function – folk music, so I’m quite happy about that! 🙂
    I’ve prepared a veritable feast of treats to keep me going, including my favourite Innocent Noodle Pot, strawberries and proper cream (yum), a big bunch of grapes, options hot chocolate, and a Ryveta break. I’ll show them just how much you can really eat, even when on a fasting day! (FYI, I am currently consuming between 400-600 calories on a fast day.)

I braved the pool again last night… it was round about the 20 lap mark that I started to feel the skin on my damaged heels flapping about in the water! (Yuck!)
    I did my best to ignore it, and managed 62 lengths of the deep end in about 40 minutes. Left me feeling very invigorated. 🙂

TDL – Bakewell Tart… send some over this way! Well done on the 1/2lb loss! That means you’re on your way back down! It would’ve been so easy to stay the same or put more weight back on, but you didn’t. That’s something to be proud of. 🙂

Oh well, I always knew last nights dinner with friends was going to be a hard one. Too much wine, too much food! didn’t even make it to the Pannacotta after the Bakewell, but the cheeseboard was my downfall. Sent the rest of the Bakewell home with out guests. Too much temptation, but we still have the other pud to eat tonight. Such martyrs we are!!!
    Think I ended up for the night about 500 cals over. 4am – wide awake, headache, raging thirst – haven’t had wine for weeks and this is what it does to me. I am still amazed how the body reacts to the food we eat. I am actually looking forward to Monday FD, and maybe even try a FD Sunday as well when the leftovers are gone.
    Clickbeetle – gosh your heels must be really sore. Have you tried putting Vaseline on them before swimming. It will help keep them waterproof. You can also buy little rubber socks to use in the pool. Well done on all those lengths. Have a great weekend everyone

Greetings everyone.

Clickbeetle hope your heels are feeling a bit better by now!!

Mother’s day!! So have over indulged a little, looking forward to fasting tomorrow. Though Mondays are hard now, tutoring three different children after my day at work is a tough one, last Monday I just sat in a stupor on the sofa!!!

Have now decided to do the 30 day plank challenge – am near the end of my weight loss journey and am way smaller than I was but I have a bit of a “joey” pouch on my belly, so thought I’d give it a go to see if it makes any difference!! Will report back on progress!!

Hope the rest of you have had a fantastic weekend and good luck for the week ahead everyone.

xxx

Morning all

Another Monday has rolled around – how has everyone been?

CB85 – so sorry to hear you’ve been getting so much stick at work for your choices – I hope that over time they will respect your decision and not make you feel bad for it. Quite often I find that when people show disapproving for what you’re doing, it’s only because they’re jealous and wish they could have the willpower to stick to it. I have one friend in particular who is the same – every time she asks what I’ve been doing and I say “oh i’ve just come out of the gym” – she’ll respond with “why would you do that, yuck, I would much rather spend Sunday morning in bed” it’s just because she knows that what I’m doing compared to what she’s doing requires motivation and she speaks ill of it to make her feel better in her own choices. It’s never easy though, especially when you have other people’s negativity weighing on you. I have no helpful tips I’m afraid except just to stick with it, and try and ignore whatever they say.

Apple Pie – Pop chips are these – http://www.popchips.co.uk/ I am a huge crisp addict so I stick to these when I fancy some, and it feels like a treat without being too calorific and greasy. I like the BBQ flavour the most.

Hilly hope you had a great mother’s day – I also indulged a lot over the weekend, steak and cocktails, lots of cheese, Mexican food, and cake and chocolates for Mother’s Day. All delicious and spurring me on for today’s fast.

Have not weighed myself for almost 2 weeks now, which is a record for me. I will be weighing probably on Thurs/Fri just to keep an eye on things – I feel like I’m just ambling along in ignorance which I don’t like. I can see changes in my body, everything feels tighter, less bloated and the gym sessions are definitely paying off. I am challenging myself more and my confidence is growing. Onwards and downwards everyone!

Thanks for the link Little Dragon, they do look nice, never seen anything like them here in Spain ….. yet. Most things make their way here eventually. I will stick to plain popcorn when I get the munchies.

Scales stayed the same for me this week. My OH who was trying to actually gain a bit, lost another 2 and a half pounds! Aren’t men annoying?

Normal fast today for me, then a liquid only day tomorrow, I want to see those scales moving next Monday!

I do love popcorn as well. I am a sucker for all kinds of popcorn but recently I’ve purchased some plain popping corn so I can make it myself for lower calories, rather than getting trapped by the high sugar/salt/fat ones of the ready made!

Hilly – what’s the 30 day plank challenge?? never heard of it?
    I think I need a plank round the head for letting my body get to this stage!
    I’ve just been to Debenhams to try on cotton trousers for hols. OMG! I was so upset with what I saw in the mirror in the changing room! You know the all around ones where you cannot hide! Loose fat, Cellulite, Varicose Veins. Not a pretty sight. Couldn’t wait to get the trousers on and cover it all up. Size 14 fitted perfectly. Can’t see me reaching size 12 before we go away, but will leave it for another couple of weeks before buying them. Am on a FD today and get on better if we go out and about. If I sit at home I just keep thinking about food. Even managed to do a food shop without wanting anything. Bypassed all the carb shelves and straight to the fruit and veg. Having a bean stew for dinner tonight. Beans usually bloat me up, so it will be interesting to find out my reaction. Having a warming and delicious Oxo cube drink just now. No headaches, no coldness today so think I may have turned the corner. This is week 8 for us, not looking forward to my weigh in tomorrow as I know I blew it over the weekend. Still, something positive is happening, just need to ignore the mirrors! Happy days all

3TL, that’s the trouble with coming on this site when it’s your fast day. Every post in every thread is mainly about what people have overeaten with or what they are looking forward to at tea time etc. So annoying when I’m starting to feel a bit peckish.

Hi everyone,

welcome newcomer FatGraham,

tell us all more about yourself.

You never know 3rd time lucky sometimes are body just decides to rearrange itself!! But a well fitting 14 is pretty fab in any event.

Mother’s day was ok but my daughter was stressed out over a GCSE Statistics project that needed to be in and my son was overtired and grumpy!! Lol, still we went down to my parents and saw my brother too which was lovely.

The plank – is an intensive exercise, you position yourself so that you are horizontal to the floor, with just your toes and arms supporting all your body weight and you have to hold your body completely straight – this “forces” you to use your bum, tum, back and arm muscles. It starts of gently with having to hold the position for just 20 seconds and you do it just once and then the next day and so on. Today was my third day so had to hold it for 30 seconds. Ok so far – have even taken pictures of my stomach and measured!! Yuk not a pretty sight!! Will let you all know if there are any changes!

Have been fasting today, after my long day am tired and cold so don’t think I’ll be up for very much longer.

If any of you are Tuesday fasting, hope it goes splendidly.

x

Aghhhh! Apologies should read our body!!

Hi everybody. I’m 53 years of age, 5′ 9″ tall and weigh just short of 21 stones. I recently retired from my job as a car dealership driver and moved to the lake district so I could ‘do the Wainwrights’, though I have been here eight months and not done one yet.

I retired early because I was getting hip and knee pain, which I thought was caused by the driving, though the doctor says it is the early onset of arthritis due to my weight which my hips and knees can’t cope with.

Around Christmas I was looking round BBC iPlayer and came upon the Horizon Fast Diet programme, which I watched and then bought the books. I also bought the ADF book too.

I decided to do the 5:2 starting in January but after 2 weeks gave it up because not only had I not lost any weight, I had actually gained 2 pounds. Two weeks ago I decided to have another go, but this time to also do some calorie counting to see if that would shed any light on the 2lbs gain. It turned out that on my fast day I was eating about 1000 calories with a full English and an average non fast day was getting through over 3000 calories, mainly with a tube of Pringles every day.

So I have therefore started the ADF properly today (though Wednesday and Friday will be the test to see how long I last before going onto 5:2) and so far I am not having any problems. I was going to have the 600 calories broken up into three meals (intended to have a nice bit of salmon steak for tea) but then decided I wanted to see if I could go all day without eating anything at all, so far okay (drinking loads of decaff) but am really looking forward to breakfast tomorrow morning.

Even though on the ADF I can apparently eat whatever I want on a ‘feast day’, I’m still going to calorie count for the first few weeks to make sure I don’t eat too much and I’ll probably choose that day to go for a walk to build up the muscles and get fit again.

Good luck everybody.

Woke up this morning not feeling hungry so am still on my fast. May leave it until lunchtime and have the salmon I was going to have for tea yesterday.

FatGraham, sorry that you had to read people’s messages about what they ate when you were hungry – it’s quite a common thing on this forum! No surprise that people like talking about food!

Hilly – I also attempted the 30 day plank challenge, back in January. It got to about 2 minutes and I couldn’t go on anymore… let me know how you get on, I found it really really tough!

Weigh in today and managed to stay the same as last time which is a bonus given how we over indulged over the weekend. OH has gained 1/2lb again, but he doesn’t calorie count and loves his home made bread. I think he’s beginning to understand how this works now. We are both conscious of what we are eating on non FD and whilst we maybe share a treat occasionally, we both feel that we are happy to pass them by. Strange how your tastes (and body)change given time. The Bean stew we had last night didn’t affect me at all. So will def have that again. Very filling.

Good morning Graham, welcome to the Little Dragons thread. I have to wonder why you are punishing yourself by doing the ADF from the start. I haven’t tried it myself, but it must be hard. Given that with 5:2 you only have to cut back for two days, I would have thought as you are starting off it would be more doable for you. When I started I chose one food high in calories I was regularly eating and eliminated it from my diet completely. Don’t even go to the supermarket shelf where it is so no temptation. Try getting rid of the Pringles to start, there is a massive 516 cals in just 100 grams, that’s well on the way to your FD allowance. There is no nutrition in them and they are not good for your health. Refuse to have them in the house. When you have given them up choose another high cal food that’s not doing you any good and cut it from your diet. If you must nibble, try measuring out some raw nuts, or grapes and take it slowly eating them. Really taste and enjoy them. If you have Dr M’s books then you have all the information you need to make this a way of life and shed the pounds, with the bonus you get fitter too. I log all my calories every day using myfitnesspal app. It’s quick and easy and keeps me on track. Note that their TDEE is much lower than the Fast Diet tracker, but I aim for the lower figure, and if I go over I don’t worry. Sorry Graham, don’t mean to lecture, but this is a way of life to keep fit and well for the rest of it. Don’t give yourself goals that you will struggle to maintain. That’s when you give up. Been there, done that. Good luck, and we are all rooting for you.

3TL well done on staying the same even after a week, that’s very good going.

I haven’t weighed in a few weeks and the suspense is killing me. It’s quite liberating but also I want to know how I’m getting on.

Fasting again today as I have an event on tomorrow so had to do Monday and Tuesday – whilst I prefer Monday and Wednesday, I also quite like getting it out of the way early.

Ugh Click Beetle, I have the same problem as you today – I simply LOOKED at a colleague while she was getting a biscuit and she shouted at me across the floor “don’t stare at ME because you can’t eat! That’s not MY fault, you’ve done this to yourself!”

I’m absolutely effing fuming.

3TL, I had 6 tubes of Pringles in the cupboard when I started on Sunday and to make sure that I didn’t weaken I opened them all and poured them into the bin. I have also thrown away two tubs of Tesco ice cream because I wouldn’t be able to limit myself to a couple of scoops, I would have to eat the whole tub!

I wasn’t hungry this morning and decided not to have breakfast but to leave it till lunchtime, then I started building some furniture and forgot about lunch. I’ve only remembered now because I’m starting to feel a bit peckish. I’ve therefore done a 44 hour fast. I’ll finish off the furniture (‘cos all the rest of the furniture is in the kitchen) and then I’ll have some tea.

FG we have thrown and given away so much, it’s amazing how much rubbish we used to get through. Bread, crisps, fruit juice, tonic water (but the gin is still in the cupboard) vimto etc etc. I am sure we will never go back to that way of life now we have seen the light as they say.
    I am sure you will savour every last mouthful of your meal, food never tastes so good as that first meal after a fast.
    Enjoy!!

Well done Graham, that’s a good start to your new way of life. Don’t forget it took a long time for the weight to go on, it won’t come off overnight. Try getting the calorie count of your meal before you eat, it gives you a good idea for portion size. Enjoy your meal tonight, as Applepie says, you will savour every bite.
    Although I haven’t lost anything from the scales this week, decided to measure. Great boost! Lost 1″ from hips (finally) and 1/2″ from each thigh. I knew my trousers were looser but numbers have given me even more faith in 5:2. Many thanks Michael & Mimi (and OH and all you lovely people for supporting me)

Gosh, where is everyone, feeling lonely! Hope all is we’ll with you all.

Viewing 50 posts - 1,401 through 1,450 (of 1,646 total)

You must be logged in to reply.