Keep Fasting with JoJo(continued from Lose 2 lb per week)

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Keep Fasting with JoJo(continued from Lose 2 lb per week)

This topic contains 7,125 replies, has 64 voices, and was last updated by  Barata 8 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 4,751 through 4,800 (of 7,277 total)

• Raise a glass of wine to sex at 68! Pretty good at 67, too. And what’s this with being ‘elderly’ at 68?

What a marathon, Wi. All power to you, and great that it’s alleviating your pains πŸ™‚

It’s been tough all week to believe that summer starts tomorrow, but a bit of belief has been restored today. More lettuce and spring onion seedings have found their way into the veggie garden this morning.

Happy Friday, all!

Hi All,

Well it’s probably been a month since I was here last, so a tad too many posts to read through I’m afraid, but from a skim I think most (hopefully all!) of you are OK so that’s good πŸ˜€

I’ve started a new job and been away for three weeks very intensive training. That was hard enough…and now the actual work begins!

On the weight/ fasting front, I think I’ve only done one fast in the last four weeks. My weight is still under my target weight, but I think I’ll need a couple of fasts before Christmas to get some wriggle room.

I haven’t even begun to think about Xmas, too much else to be worrying about this year. Perhaps I’ll just double up Christmas 2019 instead πŸ˜€

Apart from that, we’re in the short dark wet or cold days of winter… Sunshine desperately needed to lift the spirits (gin, in my case 😊)

Morning/evening all,

Hi Happy,

Glad to hear your absence has been due to work and nothing else πŸ™‚

You have another 25 days to sort out Christmas 2018 and I’ve written you a list to help you out:

Present for him indoors
    Something for myself because I deserve it
    Gin
    Gin
    Gin
    Tonic
    A couple of lemons/limes
    Have I forgotten something………
    Oh yes, Christmas dinner!

PS don’t forget the ice πŸΈπŸ˜€

Most of that can be bought on-line so it’ll take a matter of minutes πŸ˜‰

A dry day today and a balmy 11C. I’m going out for the day with my best friend who’s been away for a month so there’s lots to catch up on. It’ll be great to see her and I’m really looking forward to a day out after my DIY marathon. A visit to Tate Britain, a walk along the South Bank and a nice dinner.

Have a good weekend everybody 😜

An excellent Xmas list, Amazon, but Happy needs to buy for all the animals, too!
    Keep warm over there. I’m happy in my tropical heatwave. Very easy to avoid eating when you are busy swimming. P

Thanks RT for the funnies.
    Where is Murph?

I always loved Gin and Tonic, except that I realised it was the tonic I liked.
    I am as much out of practice at drinking as eating, and I will need to depend on you. Barata, to get me back into drinking practice.
    BTW I will not have OH in Aotearoa this summer. ImmigrationNZ have not yet got their As into G.
    Today, we drive 3 hours in rain to the airport( we go over a pass at 1400m so hope there is no snow), fly to Luton, pick up a car and drive to Bournemouth. My fast ends in 22 hours. It’s the countdown. I am still not hungry, but of course it’s the morning here.
    I am pleased to have just about accomplished this fast, and am planning another from 10 to 16 December if social events do not intervene.
    Bye from wet Occitania.
    Wiwi

Barata and Mr B are excellent drinking buddies. πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰

Morning All,
    Yesterday was all bad news, mince pies(mini version) at last choir rehearsal, scones and mini cream cakes with finger sandwiches at friends high tea birthday party. No other food but far too much sugar yesterday. Scales not happy this morning but hopefully temporary glitch. Three hours DIY after dance class and swim today should burn some of it off. Weekend looks like all DIY but hopefully moving on to woodwork soon.

Happy 3 week Course, Wow! Does that mean a hotel during that time? I have never been on a work Course that exceeded 5 days. Sounds intense! But so long as you are enjoying it. New jobs can be a fresh start.

Rain here yesterday caused lots of local road flooding. My partner was in Folkestone and cut off by detours, he near ran out of power in his all electric car, first time it has been an issue, no where to charge it up that was open early hours. He was much relieved to get home 2 hours after leaving on what should have been a 45 minute run.

It’s ridiculous, the same roads cause problems every time, you would think there would be a solution even if just a pumping out vehicle or bigger drains to compensate for excess rainfall. I am sure all that rainwater could be used somewhere if collected.

My drinking days are definitely gone, two G&T’s once per week would be a maximum now. Don’t need expense and or interest in losing control. Seeing my best friends reliance on wine and spirits provides me with an example of addiction. I have stopped taking muscle relaxants at night now(post throat injury) I will find other ways to ensure a good nights sleep and avoid addiction to these pills. So it’s it’s plenty of fresh air daily, lots of exercise and hot baths for me now. If that doesn’t work I will use a hot water bottle and read until sleep descends.

Not sure if I have been selected to sing at the Edinburgh Fringe yet find out mid December, but fingers crossed, accommodation reserved just in case. Meantime I will be performing this Sunday at a local Christmas Market which is always fun.

Now to dig out my wellingtons for the dog walk, might be very, very muddy out there today. An old friend is joining me for the walk so we can have a good old catch up.

Have a good weekend everyone, the season for being merry fast approaches.

My shopping list will be very short this year, veg, veg and more veg plus some pulses and nuts. Fruit and yogurt as treats.

Happy Days, healthy ways.

Purple,

I thought about Happy’s cats and chickens and decided she would ALWAYS find time to cater for them πŸ˜ƒ

It’s a lovely morning here, clear blue sky and sunshine. I hope it’s still clear by the time we get to the river as the views will be fabulous.

After losing 9lbs in a short period of time, I’ve only lost one more so another FD beckons tomorrow and a strict week ahead to try to get things moving again. I’m not surprised as we don’t always lose weight at a steady pace but it is irritating and seeing success on the scales really helps with motivation.

Having said that when I look in the mirror I can see that I’ve lost some weight and
    I’m wearing a blouse that was a bit too snug a few weeks ago.

Wiwi,

Well done, you’re almost there. Enjoy your brunch tomorrow.

It’s interesting, Amazon. I’m more and more using clothes to guage my weight. My recent “heavy on veg” binge resulted in a significant loss around the waistline, allowing comfortable fit of tight skirts again. πŸ˜ŠπŸ˜‰

I’m sorry we won’t see your OH this summer, Wi, unless Immigration does something in a hurry. I imagine they are pretty overworked, and the latest scandal won’t be helping.

I’ve experienced the reverse of the clothes-as-guide, Amazon, when one of my pairs of trousers was almost uncomfortably snug a couple of weeks ago. Still working to get down to my ‘rapt’ level.

Thanks for the vote of confidence in our drinking, P. I have just put another two dozen Aussie reds on the wine rack – that will see us well into next year. I am sure the love of the amber liquid is a major stumbling block to continued success of 5:2 for Mr B! πŸ™

I’m helping out with two Christmas activities today – a fundraiser with decorated displays for my Inner Wheel group (the women’s branch of Rotary), then assisting with Mr B’s Lions’ Christmas Parade. Just pleased the weather is looking good for the latter.

Stay well and warm, dear fellow fasters. πŸ™‚

Morning/evening all,

Jo,

I thought you were a vegan, what are you doing eating mince pies and cream cakes, and did the sandwiches contain butter?
    If you are going to indulge occasionally then do so, enjoy it and move on, don’t feel guilty or beat yourself up as it doesn’t do you any good at all.

I had a lovely day out yesterday. The sun shone all day so we skipped Tate Britain and spent the daylight hours in the fresh air. There are an incredible number of tourists in London at the moment and it was very busy everywhere.
    There was a busker by Southwark Bridge playing bagpipes and dressed accordingly including a kilt. He was really good and a crowd had stopped to listen. I explained to some of the tourists that it was St Andrews Day. We listened to him for a few minutes before thanking him and continuing.

We had a long and leisurely stroll along the South Bank heading east and might have ended up at Greenwich had we not been thwarted by a closed section of Thames path, so we headed for the nearest hostelry and refreshed ourselves with a small glass of local ale πŸ˜‰ before heading back to Tower Bridge and crossing the river. Once again we were unable to continue due to a closed footpath and as the light was fading we took a bus to a nice pub nearer to home for something to eat.

The place was packed at 5pm, the restaurant area was full but we were lucky enough to nab the last remaining table in the bar. We had a good dinner and both really enjoyed the atmosphere which was a mixture of thank god it’s Friday letting down of hair and early Christmas celebrations. Everyone looked to be having a great time.

Have a good one everybody 😜

Morning Amazon,
    I am about 90% Vegan these days, I stick to Vegan diet at home because I prefer it and think it is healthier (from a splash of cows milk in tea first thing)
    Rest of day mostly green tea and a rare treat latte(about monthly).
    I have butter in preference to spreads on the rare occasions I have bread or crackers..
    Mainly I avoid meat and even fish these days but have the occasional egg or chicken dish if I feel the need. But as we know eating out is very limited choice so I choose what sounds best and don’t beat myself up if it isn’t vegan or even vegetarian. I am attending three Christmas meals this year and I have selected Fish in preference to vegetarian options as I can’t face another mushroom risotto or unspeakably tasteless cheese and leak pasty. Salmon is a β€˜go to’ choice usually and not too filling followed by fresh fruit.
    The sandwiches I ate were cucumber, egg, and salmon and cream cheese. Option avoided was beef. As it was a special occasion I tried the mini(mouthful only) cakes – a profiterole, some sort of cheesecake, fruit tart(all forgettable). I have definitely lost my sweet tooth. I am not beating myself I have accepted that eating out unless at a Vegan Restaurant will always be a compromise.
    I am happy that I made the decision to avoid bowls meals but I am missing the weekend games. When my sons house is done I can get some practise sessions done at weekends instead of competitive matches. Saving Β£36 per week too, can’t be bad!
    I am not losing either so need to record calories again, it’s the only thing that works for me. Well done on the loss, is goal in sight?

Jo, we spotted a vegan choice at a Hungry Jacks (a burger chain here). I can’t imagine it’s healthy, but just saying… πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰

Jo,

If you aren’t beating yourself up why say “yesterday was all bad news” That sounds to me like viewing the occasion as a failure on your part because you indulged and my intention is to try to get you to look at things from a different angle which just might make it easier for you to reach your goal whatever that might be.

I’ve worked really hard over the past couple of months to change the way I think about my eating habits and it has helped me immensely.

Goal is always in sight although occasionally one needs binoculars to view it….

Yes! It’s all about mindset and perspective. Sometimes we make decisions which prove to be unwise later, but they are not failures, just single poor choices. We all learn from experience, move forward and try to avoid that pitfall again. It’s the repetition of bad habits that is problematic πŸ˜‰

Morning all,
    Another long night, loud and hours of heavy rainfall kept me awake plus pain in knee and hip.
    Probably caused by lots of ladderwork yesterday at my sons.
    Rested during evening with legs supported but it was no help.
    At least I should sleep tonight.

Plasterer’s have finally done two ceilings upstairs and will do Kitchen next so that flooring can go in, then Kitchen installation. Progress at last…hurrah.

I bought my son a joke Christmas present of a real size, weight newborn baby yesterday, thought he could practise nappy changing. Come to think of it Grandad could probably do with a reminder. He certainly didn’t do too many when our children were babies. Strange how he lost his sense of smell when in charge of babies. Luckily they survived his care avoiding nappy rash as I would slather them in Vaseline before his shift. Actually the doll might come in useful to practise use of new fangled car seats and body carriers.

Performing with Choir today, really looking forward to it. I just love singing, really lifts the spirits. Be great to nose around the Christmas fair too. Back to DIY this evening, no rest for the wicked.

My God it’s stopped raining so I am getting those dogs our now. Hope it keeps fine this afternoon.

Have a good week everyone, Fasting Tuesday and Thursday this week.

I will work on mindfulness and food attitude. My eating is definitely linked to boredom or depression. I don’t really understand how I have time for either!

Give me a clue to your mantra Amazon!
    I am what I eat!
    If it’s not good for me I won’t eat it?

Morning/evening all,

Jo,

First of all I remind myself that on the whole I eat a healthy diet and that eating something on the less healthy list is OK if I don’t do so every day.

Secondly, if I have a day where I make unwise food choices and/or eat more than I need, it’s simply a poor choice day and possibly something to learn from.

Thirdly, no-one gives a fig about how much I weigh except me so I’ve stopped concerning myself with what others might think or comparing myself to them.

I think you are setting yourself up to fail by trying to follow a vegan diet whilst attempting to lose weight. You’ve given yourself not one but two mountains to climb.
    If you were a home body who spends a lot of time in the kitchen and rarely eats out it would work but you’re not. IMHO you would be better off following a pescatarian diet until you reach goal and then think about how you can make veganism work with your particular lifestyle.

One more thing which is controversial in nature on this site. I think you would agree that you are by nature an impatient person. I am incredibly impatient which is something I am constantly working on and I’ve come to the conclusion that jumping on the scales every day simply doesn’t work for me as I become disappointed and occasionally fretful if the scales don’t move for a couple of days. That has the effect of dampening my enthusiasm and weakening my resolve ie for me it is self destructive.

You really need to find something that works for you in the long term and fits into the way you live your life so if you do make some changes you then need to give it at least 3 months before declaring it does or does not work.

Amazon,

Yes you’re right re the animals! The cats get the same thing each year – catnip! And the hens…well, a turkey dinner minus the turkey would go down a treat!

Jo,

I’m sorry, but you did make me laugh, and I hope there aren’t any strict vegans reading this thread! Fish, butter, cream, cheese, eggs, chicken, pastry…. I’m really not sure you can call yourself a vegan, more someone who eats very little animal products πŸ˜€

Re: the new job. Yes, it was very intensive training! I was staying in a hotel, and eating out every night. Some of the others on the course went a bit mad, full English every morning and as much food as they could stuff down (on expenses) in the evening, but I stayed fairly true to my normal eating so didn’t put on weight πŸ˜€ The job is very challenging, I’m hoping I can rise to it! I’m certainly exercising my aging brain with a career change in mid life. And It’s interesting that you mention a new start too, I must admit I think OH is feeling quite threatened by it all at the moment ☹️

It’s rained most of the weekend here too. I forced myself out for an hour this afternoon and got soaked, but beggars can’t be choosers! Week days are so short at this time of year that I’m just not getting enough exercise.

Hi Happy,

I made a sideways career move at the age of 50 and went to university for the first time, 4 days per week at work undertaking unfamiliar examinations and procedures and one day at university every week wondering why I had made such a foolhardy decision!
    We were expected to spend 15 hours per week studying ie every evening or all weekend.
    It proved to be the best career move I ever made. Yes it was a very hard 18 months and there were many occasions when I was sitting at home in the evening trying to study after a hard day learning new techniques or in the office at work on a Sunday so I could concentrate on completing an assignment wishing I hadn’t made such a career move at my age but I got there and a couple of years after finishing my studies I was running the department.

I’m sure you’ll get your head round it and do a wonderful job, but most of all I hope you find it enjoyable and satisfying.

I’ve not been getting to the gym often enough and now that the DIY is 95% done I’m looking forward to getting back into my routine and if it ever stops raining for long enough, getting out into the fresh air on a regular basis.

I have to say that a full English breakfast is no longer on my list of things I want to eat and that mass produced versions are rarely very good.

I’ve eaten too much bread this weekend and know that I’ll be ravenous all day tomorrow.
    I have no-one to blame but myself…..

Hi Happy,

Yes it’s true I am a very poor example of a Vegan but I have made choices to the best of my ability. Most Vegans I have met followtheir way of life due to animal protection. My diet is for health reasons. I do think dairy free is preferable but very difficult to follow outside the home. Occasionally I use Vegan spreads and cheeses and they are good. My daily meal (at home) is always vegan. Eating out is not very easy so I am a Fexitarian to make life more simple and less stressful.

I know that bowls and Retirement Holidays are full of people eating everything on offer, it’s crazy. I don’t think I have ever done this, I have always tried to be a bit sensible.

I cannot remember the last time I ate three meals in a day even if one was a light snack.

After our choir performance today in the very chilly high street we had freshly cooked fish and chips. I ate fish without batter and a small serving of chips. It was very good.
    I did ask them if they had a vegan option, sadly no.

Amazon,

I did a PhD part-time, so I’m all too familiar with that 15 hours a week! Luckily the new job is just full-time, no additional study required, although I suspect I will end up working longer hours for the first few months while I get up to speed. It’s early days, but I’m not regretting it yet! The culture at my last place was not good, too many years of cuts, redundancies and pay β€˜restraint’, with the result that most people in middle age were hanging on hoping for a redundancy round coinciding with them hitting 55 when they could start drawing down their pensions! The new place appears to be full of people actually enjoying what they do!

And yes, the full English was mass produced, not cooked fresh to order, and I doubt that high welfare standards for the pigs or the hens is a priority when the hotel sources produce ☹️

Jo,

I don’t think you’re a poor example of a vegan! You’re a good example of someone who keeps striving to make healthy food choices (frequently vegan!) when they can but sometimes has to be flexible and compromise….or go without!

I have discovered, on my new higher veg regime, that I can have a ‘full’ breakfast if I feel like eating one, but it comprises of about 6 silverbeet leaves (homegrown), shallots, tomato, sometimes mushroom and a small egg, nestled in the centre, all steamed with the lid on and ground pepper on top. Incredibly filling, tasty and healthy. Unlike other breakfasts, it satiates. I don’t feel hungry a couple of hours later, which is what happens if I eat simple carb based breakfasts.
    On a non fast day, if I feel like it, I can easily eat this leafy breakfast, plus 2 other meals of masses of leaves and a little lean protein (fish, prawns or egg) with herbs, nuts and seeds. No need to snack in between as this sort of low simple carb food satisfies.
    I agree with Amazon, Jo. Find an eating system that works for you. Don’t feel you are depriving yourself, there is plenty of wonderful, satisfying food available, both at home and when eating out. Just learn to choose wisely. P

Morning/evening all,

A mild morning here with blue sky and sunshine which is a good start.

FD today and now that I’ve got more time, a day to catch up on a few things.

I’m going to make a start on decorating the cakes I’m giving as Christmas gifts which is something I really enjoy.

Have a good one everybody😜

Hello Fasters,
    It’s quiet on this thread at present.
    Bournemouth last weekend was great. We had a most enjoyable weekend beside the sea.
    I was amazed by how much Spanish I heard being spoken.
    I kept my fast to the end (141 hours), and breaking it did not give me too many problems.
    I probably won’t do it again as I planned as it worried my OH. So back to ADF, with almost no food on down days. This is a more difficult alternative for me.

I am adding a French humour joke (translated of course)
    TEST OF LOVE
    Go to the car and open the boot.
    Put your partner and your dog into the boot and close it.
    Wait for half an hour.
    Open the boot and see which of the two is happy to see you.

We are off to Avignon for the night.
    xx Wiwi

Thanks for the joke, Wi! 😊
    I’m amazed by your long fast. 24 hours is always my limit. I hope it helped. P

Morning/evening all,

It’s another beautiful morning here. After a heavy frost last night we have a clear blue sky and sunshine.

My FD went well yesterday despite eating the leftover toasted nuts after decorating my cake and I’m fasting again today.

The other two cakes are now covered in marzipan and I’ll leave them for another couple of days before adding the icing.

Well done Wiwi πŸ˜€

Time to get busy,

This is shocking,

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-46439892

I cannot believe that such a huge number of the population are ignorant of the risks from the way they live so apart from those who struggle to afford decent food every day I guess the remainder simply don’t care.

Amazon,
    As a person who spends most of her time with retirees I can honestly say that amongst my friends 99% eat too much sugar, too much food. Some remain slim regardless whilst others are obese with no thought of controlling their eating habits.
    These areGranparents and Great Granparents – not exactly setting good examples.
    I eat healthily and lead a healthy active life style but remain obese with risk factors associated.

I was at a lunch on Monday. Everyone on my table had a roll plus big starter, Main Turkey Course and Xmas pudding and cream plus copious wine or beer. One lady ate half of her starter baked camembert and main course but that was to allow room for her entire bottle of wine.

I had alternative plaice(not in batter thank god), some boiled and roast veg and lemon posset. I was still very full so it was my only meal. Had a G &T too, it is Christmas!

Wiwi- We’ll done! Incredible self control, hope weight lost stays off. Long fasts are not for me, I can do them but no long term benefit in weight loss for me.

Unless you live with a thin, older person and witness their food choices over a period of time, it is hard to make assumptions from a single meal. Many thin people plan carefully for a “special” meal so they can eat that meal. It is the total consumption over a longer period that counts.
    It looks as if they eat this way all the time, and, yes, some chose their genes well and can ‘get away with it’, but most are surprisingly careful most of the time.
    Choose thin friends and socialise with them…I try to. P

Hi Purple,
    I knew the people on my table very well, I socialise with them weekly through Bridge or Gym. I assure you that the thinnest ones at our table are comfort food junkies that luckily have good genes. Their daily dose of coffee and biscuits exceeds my daily calorie allowance. I took some grapes to share at Bridge last night but I was the only one who had some most preferring chocolate biscuits which are always available in a large biscuit tin. Restrict myself to six grapes these days as they are getting huge size now.

I have one thin girlfriend friend who eats very carefully but her husband could not get any worse. For him life Is β€˜fry ups’ , pork pie and anything with chips or roasties but he remains very slim. He has bad knees so exercise is very painful.

All the girls at dance class tend to be slim but when socialising it’s all about the wine and sugar dishes. They are probably eating healthily at home.

I would like to find some friends who have healthy eating habits but we know they don’t abide in Slimming clubs. Luckily there are lots on here.

Have a good Wed/Thursday Folks. Wet windy here but getting my Fasting head on for next two days.

It’s not easy, Jo, is it? I really do avoid social situations with big eaters. It is so hard to avoid their excesses. I’m meeting with one of my thin friends tomorrow. She is great fun, never expects us to eat together and understands when it is a fast day for me. We drink coffee together, and choose active, educational pursuits. Life can be plenty of fun without eating excessively and inappropriately. P

Hi Purple,
    We are certainly paying the price for a lifetime of little restrain.
    I get fed up with defending my way of eating and leading an active life.
    Friends say β€˜just eat and enjoy it’ you are healthy and fit but they do not appreciate that excess weight does stop you from enjoying life both in terms of pain caused by carrying too much weight and restrictions of movement due to fat.
    One day at a time.

Meanwhile I am looking at a new car today (new to me anyway) a convertible, hope it is sound. Really fancy a change.

Go the convertible…I LOVE mine! πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰

Morning/evening all,

Jo, maybe you should stop defending your way of eating/living and remind some of your friends that you are in fact not fit and healthy as you suffer from chronic back, hip and knee pain and you know that losing weight and following an anti inflammatory diet will help alleviate some of the pain you endure.

Most of my friends have always been slimmer than me until a couple of years ago and now there are a few that aren’t as they’ve gained weight, and a couple of them are having difficulty coping with it. In fact one of them didn’t say a word about my weight the first time she saw me after I had lost 68lbs……..

I’m with Purple, what slim people eat when they are out isn’t indicative of what they eat at home but I agree that many of the older generation are sugar addicts which doesn’t surprised me as sugar rationing didn’t end until September 1954 so as soon as it became readily available it was added to everything!

I am always amazed at the fact there are so many people who cannot have a tea or coffee without a handful of biscuits.

The other thing is that many people have spent their whole lives being told (wrongly as we all know) that they should eat something every couple of hours or their blood sugar will drop too low….so they have cake or biscuits and when they feel unwell due to sugar withdrawal they think it’s hunger and eat more.

Once when I was in hospital a nurse came out with the keeping the blood sugar level up myth when I refused food as I wasn’t hungry. I told her it was time she got her physiology book out and did some revision as she had her facts wrong.

It’s grey and damp here today but a mild 12C.

I’ve been out this morning to my local supermarket. I wanted some angelica but no they didn’t stock it. Barberries, za’atar, sumac, kecup manis, seaweed, miso yes, but good old angelica, dream on 🀬

Purple,
    Yes I loved my convertible BMW Mini, it will be good to get back to some fresh air.
    Need to switch back to manual drive though and 2 doors, might be a hardship. Tiny back seats. Not really a Granny Mobil. Not an ideal time of year to buy either Ha Ha!

Amazon- most of my friends slim or fat have arthritic issues associated with age, former job repetitive strain and sports injuries. Par for the course, we all accept it.
    At least I am trying to ease it.

Yes I have noticed that old fashioned ingredients are getting rare, couldn’t get Worcestshire sauce recently, love a tiny splash in scrambled egg.

I find it increasingly difficult every year to buy ingredients for baking, and usually order most things on line. I forgot the angelica but I’m sure I’ll find some elsewhere.

Accepting arthritic issues and not doing one’s best to minimise them is crazy IMO. I am amazed at how much better my knee is 99% of the time now that it has less to carry around and I make an effort at the gym, although I’ve not been very often lately something that will be remedied very soon.

Why does no-one (apart from us πŸ˜‰ ) want to help themselves any more…….

Amazon,

Good question! I don’t understand why more people don’t take personal responsibility for their health…although I guess all of us here have been there! If you look at the money though, considerably more is spent encouraging unhealthy choices over healthy ones! And I don’t know whether they teach anything useful about health in schools these days?

Re: thin people’s eating habits. I know a very slim woman who will always have a cake when she’s in town, but doesn’t then eat in the evening. Talk about unhealthy habits too…she’s probably thin through malnourishment!

Morning/evening all,

It’s all about balance isn’t it? I’ve occasionally had a slice of cake on a FD and nothing else but it doesn’t happen very often.

In the UK there is no incentive to take care of oneself healthwise. There needs to be a huge amount of investment into preventitive care and treating the causes rather than the symptoms but that means paying more tax something successive governments are allergic to implementing.

It also means overhauling the way physical education is implemented in schools and it should be mandatory for all children to learn form an early age how their bodies work, the importance of looking after themselves and why they should do so.

Then there’s the small matter of the power and influence of both food and pharmaceutical industries on the way we eat and how many medical issue are dealt with. We are too reliant on medicating symptoms when we should be treating the cause.

Thursday already where did the week go…….

I think we should look at parental education. Everything a child eats is controlled by parents from even before birth.
    For any of us who are parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles and family friends, we need to ensure children develop a healthy relationship with food and the ability to grow, shop and prepare their own healthy, balanced meals.
    We teach a lot of this within the NSW school curriculum, but, like a love of reading and learning, it has to start in the home.
    Legislating and blaming teachers is simply a political distraction. Using excuses that ‘people are just too busy these days’ is an excuse. We all have much more leisure time than our grandparents had, and they were able to eat home cooked food.
    Personal responsibility is everything. If you want to be healthy, and you want your family to be healthy, it is up to you.
    Friday tomorrow. I hope RT has some goodies this week.
    Cheers P

Hi Purple,

I agree regarding parental education but it’s hard to teach those who don’t want to learn.

In fact, you can’t teach someone until they experience a shift to need to learn something new. Basic educational physiology. It takes a realisation, a crisis, an awakening, a change of mindset, before people are ready to accept new knowledge. That’s why so many people can continue destructive behaviours, despite the knowledge of the dangers being freely available and often right in front of them. Humans are very tricky creatures. 🀨

Hi Fast Trackers and Hello World (You All know Who You ARE) πŸ˜‰

Bookseller conducting a market survey asked a woman, “Which book has
    helped you most in your life?”
    The woman replied, “My husband’s check book!!”

Someone asked an old man: “Even after 70 years, you still call your
    wife – darling, honey, luv. What’s the secret?”
    Old man: “I forgot her name and I’m scared to ask her.”

Pharmacist to customer: “Sir, please understand, to buy an
    anti-depression pill you need a proper prescription ….
    Simply showing your marriage certificate and wife’s picture is not
    enough !

For MEN…..and WOMEN with a bit of humour
    A man was granted two wishes by God. He asked for the best drink
    & the best woman ever. Next moment he got mineral water & Mother Teresa.

There are 3 kinds of men in this world. Some remain single and make
    wonders happen. Some have girlfriends and see wonders happen.
    Rest get married and wonder what happened!

Wives are magicians. They can change anything into an argument.

Why do women live a Better, Longer & Peaceful Life, compared to men?
    A very INTELLIGENT student replied: “Because Women don’t have a
    wife!”

COOL MESSAGE BY A WIFE: Dear Mother-in-law, Don’t teach me how to
    handle my children. I am living with one of yours and he needs a lot
    of improvement!?

When a married man says, I WILL THINK ABOUT IT – what he really
    means is that he doesn’t know his wife’s opinion yet.

A lady says to her doctor: “My husband has a habit of talking in his
    sleep! What should I give him to cure it?”
    The doctor replies: “Give him an opportunity to speak when he’s
    awake! ”
    Have A Happy Weekend All You beautiful Losers πŸ˜†

Peace RT

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ Love the mil one!!!
    BTW, 70 isn’t old! πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰
    Have a good one RT. P

Thanks, RT, and ‘morning, all. Glorious day here in the capital after a return to winter during the week – gale southerlies and rain. I don’t think we run a risk of a drought this year. Yay, I didn’t wake up until after 8 this morning – love my Fridays. πŸ™‚ Have had such a bad week sleeping that I came home early on Wednesday with what I am sure were the effects of sleep deprivation. And sent my apologies for a dinner I was to attend – a few calories saved there, no doubt, just a couple of eggs for the meal instead. I worked yesterday, as there was a client meeting, and at least the headache has gone today.

I agree entirely about personal responsibility, ladies (and gent, shouldn’t forget RT!). And free healthcare, as equalising socially as it is, does have the effects of shovelling responsibility for individual’s wellbeing onto the medical profession – the easy way.

Enjoy your weekend, fellow fasters. πŸ™‚

Hi Barata,

Interesting thought on the contribution of free health to poor health!

Are lifestyle choices across a population significantly different under different healthcare funding models? Is there evidence of a correlation between free healthcare and unhealthy lifestyle choices?

Re: weather. Wet and windy here again today, but apparently turning colder next week. One benefit of getting older, and the new job keeping me busy, is that time is flying! It will soon be spring πŸ˜€

Morning/evening all,

Thanks RT,
    I like the MiL one the best πŸ˜†

The NHS isn’t free, we pay for it through taxation.
    The USA doesn’t have “free” healthcare but obesity/ill health due to poor lifestyle is a major issue as in many other countries that have to pay in a similar way to the USA.

It’s about education and funding and as previously mentioned the power and influence of the food and pharmaceutical industries.

Pouring with rain here and very windy, not a nice day to be going anywhere.

Have a good weekend everybody 😜

Hi Amazon,

Yes, ‘free at the point of use’ isn’t free! I do think people would think more carefully though about, e.g. missing appointments, if there was a charge at point of use (perhaps refundable provided you do bother to show!). But people who make unhealthy lifestyle choices aren’t sitting around thinking it doesn’t matter, the NHS will fix me, they’re just not expecting their poor choices to affect their health.

Hi Happy,

I agree regarding the NHS.
    As for those making unhealthy choices, many younger adults are eating the way they did as children and don’t even think about whether their diet is healthy or not.

The guidelines for a healthy diet are as useful as a chocolate teapot and dieticians, medics et al need to get into the 21st century and update them.

I want a mandatory change to food labelling that prevents manufacturers from displaying content of sugar/sweetener by listing sugar, maltose, dextrose. sorbirol, stevia etc. Make it obligatory to add the whole lot together as a total percentage which would be a real eye opener to many.

I’m very pleased to see the NHS is to offer an 800 calorie diet to reverse T2 diabetes. It is a food replacement program followed up with dietary advice and support which is probably the best way forward for those who have little knowledge of nutrition. They should also get someone like Jack Monroe on board who has personal experience of trying to feed herself and her child with very little money and has written a couple of cookery books.

It’s such a miserable day β˜”β˜”β˜” Fasting is going to be tricky so I guess I’ll need to find something absorbing to do. I’ve cleaned out and organised all the cupboards and shelves including the bookshelves so I’m not sure what to do now πŸ€”

You could come over here, Amazon.I could keep you occupied πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰

Hello International fasters
    It’s all quiet on the thread.
    I am back on an extended fast again after two social sauerkraut meals in two days.
    I’m about 40 hours in and about 40 to go.It’s opened ended so I am not sure.
    I am drinking a lot of hot water to keep warm. I did not put back the weight loss after the 140 hour fast and hope this one can help anticipate Christmas.

NZ seems to be in mourning, Barata, after the murder of the British backpacker. I just watched the PM apologizing and she was on the verge of crying.
    Our movements are still difficult in France because of road blockages. The petrol deliverers are supposed to go on strike this week. Blockages of supermarkets are already leading to redundancies. I am glad to be out of here as from next week.

Monday fasts are just about over for you Antipodeans.

xx Wiwi

Viewing 50 posts - 4,751 through 4,800 (of 7,277 total)

You must be logged in to reply.