Keep Fasting with JoJo(continued from Lose 2 lb per week)

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Keep Fasting with JoJo(continued from Lose 2 lb per week)

This topic contains 7,125 replies, has 64 voices, and was last updated by  Barata 8 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 351 through 400 (of 7,277 total)

• Thanks Purple! How can I be ever away from you guys and Fasting.
    Check this medicine noble prize winner. It’s the WOL we are trying to embrace.
    ❀️
    http://www.asianscientist.com/2016/10/topnews/2016-nobel-prize-medicine-awarded-yoshinori-ohsumi/

Thanks for the link HBC. I’d missed that.
    Yes. Autophagy….the reason we do IF!!
    I did laugh that they are trying to develop pills to do it. What could be simpler than just not eating? Ah! No money in it! !! P

I haven’t decided to cut anything out really but after loosing 84 pounds and feeling like I do there is no way I am going back there . When we were sitting by Dads beside last week I wasn’t eating so my Granddaughter brought me a sandwich from the M&S shop . It looked lovely but I only ate half of it as I wasn’t enjoying it . In the past I would have finished it whether I enjoyed it or not . last week I took Ross out for a fish and chip tea . Smell was amazing and I had a bit of the white of the fish ( no batter) was gorgeous . I then had one chip and I didn’t enjoy that much either . I haven’t ruled out anything because that WOULD be a diet . I really think of this as AWOL now .This you will not believe … NO ice cream for 2 weeks . I have discovered Quark with frozen raspberries or a Cadburys highlights and they are brilliant . I am more selective rather than just eating for the sake of eating now . I will have my steak pie on sat but watch this space as the idea of it might again be more appealing than the taste . NOW!! you can polish my halo lol . Just goes to show we are never to old to learn πŸ™‚

Wee xx

Sorry 56 pounds off on 5.2 …84 pounds in total xxxx

Thanks, HCB. Good luck with getting back on the horse. 🌺🌺

Amazon, go you wicked woman, you. I love reading your recipes. I’m fasting today as my home made mince pies leapt at me yesterday and demanded a taste. πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜³πŸ˜³βš‘οΈβš‘οΈπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Cheers, Bay πŸŒΊπŸŒΊπŸŒΊβ˜€οΈβ˜€οΈβ˜€οΈ

Hi Bay,

My mince pies are frozen raw but I still hear their siren call whenever I enter the kitchen. I’m ignoring them until nearer to Christmas. They’ll be OK as they have some (very small)home made sausage rolls for company πŸ˜…πŸ˜…πŸ˜…

I’m in full domestic goddess mode at the moment and am trying to ensure my one meal per day is interesting and different from what I’ve been eating for the past few months. I love this time of year as I’m very fond of winter veggies and British apples and pears are fabulous at the moment.

I’m also doing ADF and only eating once per day at the moment so in order to stick to the plan my meal has to be really good.

Purple

Let’s agree to disagree regarding spuds and talk about things we agree on such as πŸ·πŸ˜‰

Oooo…now you’re talking. Sadly I only ever have one glass of wine at a sitting these days. 58kg can’t cope with any more without getting silly! πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰

Goodness! You guys on this thread sure have lost large amounts and kept it off! So well done to you and great for me to hear it can be maintained.

Hi HCB, Refocus. You won’t be content unless you do.

Just on potatoes (sorry) once upon a time i loved potatoes in all forms and a large baked potato was a favourite and easy supper. Now I wouldn’t. Don’t really miss potatoes, pasta or rice. Bread and crackers I do still have a couple of times a week and do miss often. Wine consumption decreased but will not even try to give that up.

Thanks for the inspiration all x

Hello all,
    Barata I am so sorry about your aunt, no matter how old they are it is still sad when their journey ends.

Weemam, also thinking of you. It is a surreal time between a death and the funeral isn’t it? I am glad you have plenty of support and are surrounded by loved ones, but the grief still has to be worked through.

Great to hear from you Sarah, glad you haven’t given up. If I can keep 50lb off for over a year, after a lifetime of yoyo dieting, thats is absolute proof that fasting works!

Health Coach, sorry things are not happening for you at present. Be patient, you will get back to it when you are ready. Don’t forget your achievements already and dont give up.

I can take or leave wine, I enjoy a glass but like spuds, just not worth the calories for me! I think that is my biggest lesson in this weight loss challenge – I can be in control but I have to make some hard choices and my body just does not need as much fuel as I would like to feed it!! But the beauty of 5:2 is that we can ‘customise’ it to suit our individual preferences. Like everything in life, its not black and white!!

More great words of wisdom on Dr Jason Fung’s blog today.

https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/the-x-factor-t2d-21/

Have a top weekend everyone. P 😊

Morning Sarah,
    I think it’s very difficult to cut out so many food groups and eat at restaurants. This is one of the reasons I keep potato in my food plan. As a vegetarian ( Pescatarian) plus no pasta, rice or alcohol( mostly) life is pretty tough anyway so cutting potato out is a step too far. If I could get zero noodles in a restaurant I would choose these as an altenative. So a small helping of potato(egg sized) is my limit. I occasionally have them at home but not often. I eat out a lot though. PVE – you drink wine, I eat potato- we all make our choices to make life more interesting but try to stay in control of these high calorie items.
    PVE- I agree it’s stressful making a stand about vegetarian menu at bowls club but it’s also stressful every game being presented with food I don’t want at games I attend. I am making the most of the newly acquired time and enjoying more variety in my life, more dance classes and swimming. May even try spin class! Bowls is very time consuming sport, usually three hours plus per game(if it’s an away game up to 8 hours including coach trip). There is another club but it’s further to drive there, I may check it out. Sometimes I wish I wasn’t the type of person takes on unfair rules head on but I guess we can’t all sit on the fence.
    Nama- I would love to report that one day I will have beaten yoyo dieting but I am winning at the moment. However unlike you I have the ‘crutch’ that is a slimming club to keep me on the straight and narrow. HCB – try one if you need support, nothing ventured?
    Dr Jason Fung is definitely the intelligent voice of reason and good health.
    My Rock Choir is performing outside at a local Christmas Fayre tomorrow so I hope it isn’t freezing ( no coats allowed, just uniform and a black fleece) may need to wear thermals underneath. Practising non stop at the moment, even singing in my sleep apparently Ha Ha!
    The other day at my gym we were offered fresh fruit health drinks in exchange for riding a bike for 30 seconds. The liquidiser was actually attached to the bike so as you pedalled you mixed up your drink. Promoting healthy drinks- great idea. I earned one on arrival ( fresh berries and mangos – great taste) and when leaving ( banana, mango and kale- kale gets stuck on teeth but not that nice anyway) sadly bith would result in an insulin spike.

Sarah, well done on 19lbs lost! You’ll just about half way there, fantastic!

Jo, you’ve kept your recent weightloss very quiet! 66lbs! I knew you’d lost that in total, but then regained some. So you must be back at your lowest again then and have repaired the damage you did in New Zealand a year ago? Fantastic news. Well done you! You can’t be very far off your revised goal weight now then?

No fasting for me today, just hoping to practice mindful eating. My two recent day after fast days have been challenging to say the least…

Morning Jojo

In my view we have to do and eat what we can cope with and we all have our own non negotiables. For me it happens to be wine and bread/crackers and I will eat potato from time to time, and CAKE. While you may have yoyod a bit you are 66lbs (!!!) down and when I drop by this thread from time to time your physical activity is stunning. I intend to retire early soon from a very stressful and time consuming job and I will certainly be doing a lot more activity in the week then. If i manage a third of what you do I will be doing well!

Nama, thank you and you are quite right 50lbs in total would take me a bit under my target and under what I have weighed through my adult life. It is great to really understand that this is doable. Maintaining it is the real goal for us all.

I frequently (probably a bit too frequently) tell my very, very overweight lovely sister (believe it or not I am the ‘slim’ one of the family) about these kind of experiences and have tried to get her to look at the forums. She has tried every diet and has lost substantial amounts but never maintained and has put it all back on and then some to the point where she is dangerously overweight, despite losing 3 stone recently on the Cambridge diet, with their enforced artificially sweetened milk shakes which everyone needs for their ‘nutrional value’.

Have a good weekend everyone. I am sure yours is action packed Jojo.

Ps Thanks Happy. I am pleased and will be very pleased when I can be a ‘maintainer’!

Morning/evening all,

HCB, you’ve just had a holiday with your family and arrived home for Thanksgiving to be followed shortly by Christmas. No wonder you are having trouble focussing on what needs to be done.
    Why don’t you try not eating until lunchtime for a couple of days and choosing healthy options for a light lunch and small dinner and then slowly ease yourself back into fasting. You’ve done it before so you know you can, and we are all here to give you support and encouragement.

What a lot of chat to catch up on since yesterday evening πŸ™‚

I am fasting again today and I’ve got some of my lovely comforting and filling veggie chilli out of the freezer. Only one more left which is perfect timing as I need the space to accomodate Christmas treats and whatever I turn the leftovers into.

Jo, you and I seem to be back on track after both taking a major detour. I think we need to keep a special eye on each other and ensure that neither of us make any more but head straight for goal.

Wee and Barata, thinking of you both at what is a sad and emotional time for you and your families. You are each saying goodbye to a much loved family member who lived a full, long and happy life and I hope that gives you some consolation.

It is cold, grey and dull this morning so I’m going into the kitchen to make almond paste for two cakes. It will be a challenge not to nibble any as I’m fasting.
    Wish me luck πŸ˜‰

Have a good one everybody 😜

Good Morning,
    It’s zero degrees Celsius here this morning and won’t be warm through the rest of the day.

Amazon thanks for the encouragement and reminder of events. I just had my coffee and for lunch a small cup of soup. I have a party to attend tonight and I am driving alone. That keep my drinking under control.
    Also for the last 10 days I was taking anti inflammatory for that pain that never went away. At least now I am okay and I hope stays that way.

I love to hear the good stories! Keeps me motivated ❀️

Have a good day folks πŸŽ…

Morning/evening all

Three FDs this week and the scales have decided they are not going to move,
    typical πŸ˜†

I covered both cakes in almond paste and they are now drying out. I’ll ice them next week. I have some almond paste left which will be used for stollen as I have a couple of friends who love it and would give one a good home πŸ˜‰

It’s another dull morning and warmer than it has been all week.
    I have a heavy dose of lazyitis today and have no intention of doing anything more strenuous than reading the newspaper.

Have a good weekend everybody 😜

Hi All,
    Yes I have been doing well and 1/2 lb off lowest. It has been helpful joining a club. I have been too busy to post much. Its getting really tough at the moment with Christmas meals, hence doing 23/1 to cope with events but I am trying to be sensible, ordering fish where available but the odd treat is sneaking in, especially mince pies, love them. Vowed I am not eating another one until Christmas Day. I am doing a lot more physically at the moment which is helping. Swim, dance and nordic walk most days. I am singing in our Rock Choir Christmas Concert this afternoon, that should burn a few more calories. For me it’s all about keeping busy. I want to lose weight this Christmas, that will be a first. My holiday is prompting me to work harder to get to goal.
    I haven’t cracked this way of life yet, guess I am a slow learner. Still focus on one day at a time. Still a long way to go and it doesn’t get easier as I really can’t exceed very small portion sizes without a gain. Good Luck Amazon- at least we are not gaining anymore!

Hi all,
    Firstly Amazon, I don’t know how you manage all that scrumptious baking without sampling it continuously! You obviously have more willpower than you realise! It all sounds so yummy!
    Congratulations Jo on getting back virtually to your lowest weight, even despite all your partying! I can only just maintain with all the extra social stuff at present. You say you have not ‘cracked’ this WOL yet, but compare this to previous Christmases… you have certainly made some big changes. I think my biggest realisation, as I have mentioned before, is the incredibly small amount of food my bod needs to maintain. I think accepting this reality is the secret. You say you cant exceed a very small portion size without a gain. Well, this seems to be your reality if you want to get slim and stay there. All of us on here have been chronic overeaters, not realising how much we were overeating constantly. Add that to (sorry but its true) being older, eating much less food is simply our ‘new reality’!
    Personally its vanity that keeps me motivated, but looking after my health comes a close second!
    Thinking of you Wee and hoping the funeral was not too hard, sending a hug x

Hi Nama,
    I’ve made most of what I bake at Christmas so many times I can tell by how they look and smell if they are OK so I don’t need to taste them, but I have sampled the mince pies πŸ™‚

It isn’t really an incredibly small amount of food, it is the amount that naturally slim people always eat. The hardest thing is coming to terms with the fact we were over eating for so long that we thought it was normal!
    It is definitely our “new reality” if we want to succeed in losing weight and keeping it off

You are right Amazon, it just seems a small amount when you love food as much as we do!
    Oh I would love one of your hoe made mince pies right now with my morning cuppa!!

Thoughts are with Wee and Barata and cyber hugs at this tough time.

The Song of Memory
    When someone we love passes on beyond life in the world that we know and is gone,
    A beautiful sense of their presence, like music remembered by heart, lingers on….
    When someone we love finds a wonderful home in a world only faith can reveal,
    Our memories can be like a song in the heart, with the power to comfort and heal.

Peace RT

RT,
    Very touching, you are a special guy.
    Wee and Barata, your cyber friends are here for you, big hugs.

Nama, actually I have several ‘slim’ friends who eat large portions and lots of goodies, they seem to burn off everything. I do observe all my friends and their appetites. The bigger ones definitely choose more fattening options for puddings and eat sandwiches as snacks rather than a meal replacements. Both of these things I would never consider anymore. I haven’t got to the stage of finding 3 Oz of salmon with salad (filling), also ‘one egg’ doesn’t really do the job for a meal. Hopefully one day I may turn that corner. I don’t think I will ever ‘accept’ not having bread as part of my daily life, it’s torture, but I keep working on it, it’s an addiction, no doubt, I crave it. I have not cured myself of the ‘food deprecation’ mind set but I can honestly say I eat healthily 90% of the time. It’s progress.

I am satisfied with my activity levels during the day but still watch too much telly in the evenings instead of going out for a walk. It’s not easy when it’s freezing and dark to motivate yourself. But Ii do have a cross trainer and trampet gathering dust which I could use, even a skipping rope. I also have a table tennis table. My New Years resolution is to use one of these things for 30 minutes a day.

The physical activity rules don’t seem to apply as you would think either. My gym and in particular the pool are full of large ladies and men, especially the length swimmers, I would say that they are in the majority. I guess these people are still over eating in the cafe afterwards.

I am going to do a three day fast before Christmas Day starting on 18 th, I have a window of three days with no engagements. I am going to spruce up my kitchen in this time. Clear out every cupboard and scrub the kitchen floor ‘ old style’ hands and knees version. Wish me luck? Believe ne it’s no small job, it’s a real mess, cluttered and crammed. Clear surfaces are the objective.

Ps
    Final 1/2 gone, in fact 1/2 under lowest Yippee!
    Size 14 trousers still tight though, no room for eating in them, Ha Ha

Excellent Jo. Keep it up 😊😊P

Hi Jo, well done – thats a reason to celebrate if you are at your lowest weight! You are obviously doing lots of things right! Re the thin friends who eat a lot, I think they are in the minority. And I am certain the large folk you see exercising do then overindulge, thinking they have earnt it with their exercise.

I never said I would find 3oz salmon and a salad satisfying, it would need to be a huge salad. And one egg certainly would not be a meal for me! I fear you are still thinking of food as ‘forbidden fruit’ and feel some resentment that you cant indulge as much if you want to lose weight. If you love bread so much, incorporate it into 5:2, I certainly do. I personally dont miss rice, pasta or potatoes and happy to never have them again, BUT I love a slice of nice sourdough or pane de casa for a treat. Probably 3-4 times a week. I think if you believe you are addicted to it and try to avoid it totally, you will just crave it more. I think Amazon follows this philosophy too. It is one of the reasons 5:2 has worked for me.

I also wonder about the amount of activity you do and if it makes you extra hungry? For me, the calories burnt with any exercise dont get factored in, they are just a bonus.
    Great idea to spring clean your kitchen, clean cupboards are good for the soul!!

We are off to Lorne on the Great Ocean Road for a few days tomorrow. The place we stay at has the best buffet breakfasts, so there won’t be lunch on those days! Actually I cant eat a big breakfast these days, but am looking forward to their fantastic bircher meusli! Ahh retirement is hard…

Nama,
    I am green with envy, I remember the views from the Great Ocean Road, spectacular. Was it the Apostles or am I confusing it?

Retirement is bliss! I love it! 43 years of full time work was enough for me.
    My SW Councillor asked to to train to become a councillor last Saturday. He thought I had a great attitude to food. Ha Ha. I had to tell him I couldn’t possibly ‘hard sell’ their meals or chocolate ‘slim’ bars as I don’t believe in their philosophy. I could push daily exercise and healthy food but that might fall on deaf ears in my group. They live for high fat and sugar treats. I said I am purely here for support, weigh in, not dietary advice. Hopefully one day I will cope without external support. Judging by my last year that was not too successful so I have accepted that I need help even if it isn’t ideal.

As you say I probably need to avoid bread entirely. Sad but not really an option. Happy to avoid rice and don’t like pasta. Limit potatoes is doable. I love sourdough bread but can’t have it in the house. Just cat resist it, even in the freezer, it can be toasted pretty damn quick.

My exercise doesn’t really make me hungrier, thirstier for sure. It makes me fit and toned,, I love it. I don’t go for extreme workouts just light aerobic in dance class. In swim session I average 40-50 lengths in 30 mins depending on busyness of pool. Usually do 30 mins, mixing up strokes for better all round exercise, average speed, not bombing up and down but not stopping or going slowly either. I think exercising ‘outside’ keeps me from getting down about my weight problems.

My daughter also has weight control issues. She is a real gym bunny, doing all the high intensive classes and minimum of 5 sessions a week. She is one stone overweight for her height and can’t lose it. She is a vegetarian too, lives on low fat cheese, Halloumi, and eggs plus lots of healthy salads. She loves carbs though but limits them. No bread in her house either. She is on her feet all day at work and walks daily for one hour. She likes chocolate, unlike me, so she limits that to a very small weekly treat. We try to support each other. At least she stays within size 12 size but she would be happier with size 10 at 5′ 4″ height. I would be happy with a comfortable size 14 at 5′ 5″ and shrinking.

Oh Jo I didnt say to avoid bread entirely – I think you ‘speed read’ sometimes! I said the opposite: if you love it so much, have a limited amount. Then it does not have that hold over you, as forbidden fruit. Thats what works for me anyway! Obviously one has to be strict with limiting it though.

I am glad slimmers world seems to be helping you – thats so funny re you becoming a counsellor for them. You would be sacked for spreading ‘lies’!! But if you need the support and they can provide it, great!

Yes, the 12 Apostles are down that way (G. Ocean Rd). Lorne is not as far, before the really dramatic scenery, but its a still a pretty seaside town with lots of lovely shops, a good beach (its in a bay) and the bush surrounding. I have seen kangaroos and wallabies there, in the streets just a few up from the main road and there are some great walks – beach and waterfalls. We have had a very long winter, so I am hoping for a few days of sunshine to make the most of it!

I think cake is for me what bread must be for you Jo. I cant have it in the house either! But I still allow myself some as an occasional treat. I think if I didn’t, I would crave it even more.

Morning/evening all,

Cold, frosty and sunshine this morning 🌞

I had drinks with a friend yesterday which led to overeating so it is a half TDEE day today to compensate.
    I’ve woken up with a head cold which is really annoying but hopefully that is all it is and I don’t end up with a chest infection.

I have an old friend who is five years older than me and we worked together for 30 odd years. She has always been slim and done regular exercise. She has also led a very busy social life, eating out several times a week. She always ate and drank plenty and people would say she was lucky to stay so slim, it must be her metabolism, blah blah blah, but if you paid attention as I did, she never ate breakfast and would either eat something during her coffee break or have lunch. Often lunch would be cottage cheese and an apple or a small salad and sometimes she played squash during her lunch break. If she wasn’t going out to eat she would have a light dinner.
    If there were cakes or biscuits around she might have a small piece or one biscuit and she liked a chocolate bar occasionally but she was in control of what she ate and had a “normal” relationship with food, something that those of us who have yo-yo dieted or overeaten for so long don’t have and need to remedy.
    If I compare that to what I did, which was eat everything I could lay my hands on every day, it is easy to see how she stayed slim, she did what we are learning to do, moderate our eating so that over the course of a week we eat no more than 7 x TDEE.

I have missed the gym this week and am looking forward to going back next week now that my knee is OK.

Jo, I don’t know why you think you need to go out for a walk in the evenings when you’ve been active all day, your mind and body need time to unwind and relax at the end of the day.

Nama,

You posted while I was writing my epic. I have two cakes on display in the kitchen as the almond paste is drying out, and my own cake is decorated and ready to go. It is in a plastic cake box on top of the fridge and I can see it every time I go to the kitchen.
    I love cake but I’m much better at not eating too much at a time than I’ve ever been.
    Bread consumption is a work in progress, but getting much better due to trying to limit myself to one meal per day at the moment, something which went awry yesterday πŸ˜†

Oh Amazon, I am going to dream about your cakes tonight!! The one on the fridge would be safe as long as no one cut it!! Once cut, one slice would never be enough and it would beckon continuously!

My husband loves bread with his evening meal so we have worked out a way to manage it. We cut the loaf into ‘chunks’ before freezing it and only thaw out one chunk at a time. That way he can slice it as he likes and I just have a small slice if it works on a particular day. If there was a whole loaf on view it would be too hard for me to resist. And I certainly dont have it more than 3-4 times a week. If I have been over socializing (read: overindulging), I skip the bread for a week or so. Needless to say, husband has a ‘normal’ relationship with food and nothing is banned! He enjoys food but knows when he has had enough!

” a work in progress” – thats so true!!

As we so often say 5:2 is a WOL and as with anything else there are ups and downs that have to be negotiated. It does get easier and I no longer feel guilty if I’ve overdone it I just remind myself I’m human and move on. It’s my journey and I’ll get there at my own pace, making my own choices and the only person who it really matters to is me.

Nama,
    No I didn’t misread your comment. I simply can’t have bread because I can’t control it. I recognise my ‘red light foods’. With this in mind ‘a little of what you fancy’ doesn’t help me because it leads to me wanting more, having more than one slice. Also I get a stomach ache the next morning if I eat bread. If I was slim I would be prepared to ignore my pain to have bread( idiot that I am).

My current success is down to being competitive at SW. I won’t be the biggest loser each week but I will be a consistent loser. 5lb the first week got me off to a good start, hit 1 stone by week 6 and now planning to hit 1 st 8 lbs by week 12 next week. I have done this mainly by fasting 2/3 days and TDEE on other days. They have a low fat plan which I ignore along with syn points for treats. Treats are virtually non existent over last three months, an occasional gin and tonic or apple crumble with custard.( another red light food). I live mainly of fish/ eggs and salad or hot veg. Even fruit is limited theses days to occasional apple/ berries and natural yogurt.

I think sitting around in the evening can be restful but mostly boring. I am trying to adopt a more positive and healthy WOL. My husband also needs to ‘get moving’ as he is office bound jobwise and now has fitness issues. Might do him good to get out for a walk after work. Dogs wouldn’t complain about an extra walk either.

Check out this excellent link posted on the Southern Hemisphere thread:
    https://sa.fightdementia.org.au/sa/about-us/news/intermittent-fasting-may-improve-brain-function

Hi Fast Trackers & Welcome New Fasters And Hello World (You All know Who You ARE)
    What a beautiful wrap up Weemam β€œI haven’t ruled out anything because that WOULD be a diet . I really think of this as AWOL now.” Absolutely a way of life.
    Bay…….Amazon, go you wicked woman, you. I love reading your recipes. πŸ˜† to much goodness
    1. JOJO As a vegetarian ( Pescatarian) a person who does not eat meat but does eat fish.
    “no red meat, my family are pescatarians” as I live I learn
    Re-reading the orginal Fast Diet book on page 65 the great man Dr M also suggests he sneaks in some treats on his 5 days of not restricting calories .Fish n Chips roast potatoes biscuts and cake not counter intuitive at all just positive re enforcement I think re reading the book with fresh eyes is a very powerful thing and an absolute must have for any new fast trackers to make your own study of one.
    https://www.dietdoctor.com/power-7-day-fast
    I will be doing a 7 day fast this week myself (not a recommendation however but I am giving it a go) it is the final of my planned 4 day fasts for the year but I am very keen to follow this for the extra 3 days just because I can maybe πŸ˜‰

β€œIt’s is easier to avoid eating than to stop eating once started”
    Peace RT

Hi All,

I’ve had a busy weekend with the mother-in-law staying, but little damage on the scales despite some large meals plus cake because I’ve eaten very lightly around that to mitigate/ compensate.

I think it’s easy (or suits us?) to think slim friends eat massive amounts… Oh the injustice! But unless you live with them 24/7 you’re really only seeing a snapshot and then extrapolating to form a narrative that’s more about your own baggage than the truth. As Amazon’s story confirms…

And Jo ‘The physical activity rules don’t seem to apply as you would think either’. Nope. The physical activity rules apply EXACTLY as we would think, i.e. weight loss is 95% calories and 5% exercise. We’ve talked this over so many many times, I don’t understand why you still think exercise plays a bigger role.

So, I’ve risen to Thinatlasts challenge to come through Christmas unscathed. Good to have a challenge, even as a maintainer! On that basis, I’m fasting tomorrow πŸ˜€

Hello Beaitiful Cyber Friends,
    Jo I am so happy with your good news. The best part is that I am following your ups and downs for for almost 2 years I believe is whenever I joined the group and like Amazon said before “we are humans”, and we are!
    Here’s a good testimony of your persistence. It serves as a example for this one here.
    Today I had the last family turkey πŸ¦ƒ dinner and I had enough of it.
    My mind is set to Fast tomorrow and come right back to WOL. There’s no reason why I shouldn’t. 5:2 it isn’t complicated and honestly try to plan my meals better for the other days.
    RT you are amazing! 7 days Fasting must a very powerful experience.
    To everyone else have a good week. Downunders are sure enjoying better weather now.
    πŸ˜»πŸŽ…β€οΈ

Morning/evening all

Another sunny, frosty morning with a clear blue sky 🌞

The half TDEE went well yesterday despite feeling ravenous all day which is what always happens when I get a cold. I took paracetemol and a hot toddy and had an early night, slept for 10 hours and feel much better this morning, still full of cold but no aches, pains or shivers. The power of whisky πŸ˜‰

I am fasting today and determined it is going to be an easy one. I have some chores to do and a pile of Christmas cards waiting to be written which should keep me occupied for most of the day and I’m planning to fight this cold with a mind blowingly hot Thai style veg curry for my FD dinner.
    Social plans for the week mean I’m thinking about B2B FDs which seem very easy compared to what RT is up to this week. Good luck mate, I’m sure you’ll do it πŸ™‚

Jo, I have to agree with Happy regarding exercise. The increased fitness and muscle tone make it worthwhile and I know you enjoy it as I do. It keeps you busy, it may even keep you out of the kitchen, but it won’t make you lose weight any quicker.

Happy, I saw thin’s challenge, it’s an excellent idea for maintainers and those still trying to lose. I would like to get through without gaining and am considering joining in…..

HCB, go girl you can do it!

Time to get moving,

Good Mornig All,
    I decided to have a long lay in today, it was luxurious not to rush about, just reading my book, The Tale of Murasaki by LizDalby, a story of 11 th century Japanese story writer who was an Emperors consort and lady in waiting to his daughter. It records how poetry was an everyday feature of communication and very highly regarded. Not an easy read but interesting.

RT- Good Luck to you, it will certainly be a test to your ‘fasting skill’. As you remember I fasted for 5 days last year. I seem to remember it not being that hard, keep drinking, green tea helps.

HCB- it is testament that we keep going regardless of ‘up’s’ and ‘downs’. At the end of the day we are our own worst enemies. We need to find alternatives to food being an emotional crutch, it’s key.

Happy- not in denial about the importance of food restriction over exercise for weightloss( 95%) but I think health and vitality, especially ‘well being’ are improved by being physically active. All these things should make eating control easier. It’s not just about the maths of 5 % it’s about ‘quality’ of life. Fat people who are physically active are usually healthier than non active people and often healthier than thin non active people. I too am planning to get through Christmas without a gain, good luck to you too.
    PVE- thanks for the link, I will read it tonight, very important now dementia has over taken heart disease in the highest ranking health problem.
    Christmas meal out today but it will be the only meal otherwise just water and tea.
    Have a good week Fasters

Yes Amazon…join the challenge. A good enthusiastic mixed crew 😊
    Jo?

Well that was a meal I could easily forget. Vegetable soup- no taste, mushroom Wellington – soggy and tasteless so left it. All veg over cooked, gross. Avoided pudding and mince pie but finished with a nice cuppa. But the company was great so not a total disaster. Luckily I didn’t let the dissapointment of the meal drive me to drink, well only water. If all my christmas meals are like this my challenge will be easy this year.

Well I hope you didn’t have to pay too much for that Christmas meal Jo!

How many more Christmas meals have you got? I’m only doing one, under sufferance, before the day itself and you’ll approve! I’ve ordered the fish!

Sounds dreadful Jo, nothing worse than soggy pastry, yuck!
    Good that you didn’t overeat but an absolute waste of money.

I’ve had a good FD as I had lots to keep me occupied and my Thai green curry was very tasty. I had enough calories to add some prawns and have another portion to look forward to tomorrow πŸ™‚

I’m aiming to stick to one meal per day again as it worked well last week.

Amazon,
    Thai Green Curry-Yummy, yummy-I love spicy food.

Sadly I had to pay Β£25 for the meal in advance. I complained by email because I don’t want to dampen the christmas atmosphere but I won’t return to that restaurant. There were 150 of us so choices of restaurants are limited with those numbers. Surly gum chewing waitress too and very slow service. The christmas meat dish was good apparently. I should have ordered the fish pie, it was also good. I just thought a change would be good, it wasn’t.

I have three meals this week and one next week plus several drinks parties( usually worse due to buffet food). Next year I am going to avoid them all. I will pretend to have other engagements.

Unfortunately Jo, it is sometimes better to just think of the cost of the meal on those occassions as the cost of the seat and water. Enjoy the festive atmosphere and the conversations. The food doesn’t have to be the focus.
    Next year, choose which groups you really want to celebrate with. If the food happens to be good, it is simply an added bonus. 😊😊P

PVE,
    Something you said the other day struck a chord with me, it was concerning ‘stress’ and vegetarian food choices. I realised that being a vegetarian and eating out is causing me more stress than pleasure. Firstly I worry what will be on offer, then whether I really like what options there are? Finally what impact it will have to company if meal is unsuitable. On top of this I am paying for unsatisfactory food. As you know I socialise a great deal but ‘meals out’ are no longer enjoyable. I have decided that I need to do more research into restaurants and select good ones only, ones with proven track records for vegetarian food. At the same time I can check out low calorie options and not be tempted by comfort food like apple crumble with custard. In the past I have chosen that because the meal was unsatisfactory, especially at the bowls club.

Time to start thinking about New Year Resolutions, I always find this help me, it’s just formal goal setting. This year I am going for ‘positive’ message, starting rather than stopping something. Much more likely to suceed.

I am going to add ‘weekly’ table tennis and cycling instead of swimming at the weekends. If it’s dry I will cycle for an hour and if wet I will play table tennis. My skin and hair need a rest from chlorinated water.

I also plan to start jogging in April and will use the cross trainer and treadmill from Jan to March to prepare properly for this as last time I was unprepared and got knee strain. I will get the gym instructor to write me a programme. I hope to join a group rather than go out on my own.

Planning and setting goals is a great idea Jo. What are your plans re eating? Remember the exercise is for toning, feeling good and distracting. You need to include fasting and food choice goals.
    My goal is to continue 2 fasts a week and keep in the 58kg range. I know I can do it and enjoy a full social life.
    Cheers P

Morning/evening all,

It is proper foggy here, couldn’t see the river when the bus went over Kew Bridge 😯

I’ve been out to exchange a gift as I discovered the recipient has read it and did a few other errands. After seeing our fb page I took advantage of a special offer on cashew nuts πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜†

I only ever make one NY resolution and stick to it rather than trying to change too many things at once.
    Next year my aim is to fit into everything that is hanging in my wardrobe but that is a way off yet and I’ve got things to achieve before then.
    I seem to be on a plateau, but a combination of inactivity and medication might be contributing so once I get back to the gym (hopefully tomorrow) and get back into my routine I’m sure that all will be well.
    I’ve only got one social engagement over the next 10 days so there won’t be any interruptions to my FDs.

I’m struggling today as I didn’t sleep well and have a sore back so feeling a bit sorry for myself but I’m determined to complete my FD aided by plenty of hot coffee. I found it really difficult not to buy something to eat from the Whole Foods Store. They sell lots of lunches and the smell coming from the kitchen was divine. I reminded myself that I have another portion of the lovely Thai green curry I made yesterday and got outside as fast as I could.
    I also talked myself out of opening the box of cashew nuts on the bus πŸ˜†

Only one more gift to be bought now 😎

You CAN do it Amazon 😊😊

Viewing 50 posts - 351 through 400 (of 7,277 total)

You must be logged in to reply.