Keep Fasting with JoJo(continued from Lose 2 lb per week)

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Keep Fasting with JoJo(continued from Lose 2 lb per week)

This topic contains 7,125 replies, has 64 voices, and was last updated by  Barata 8 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 2,401 through 2,450 (of 7,277 total)

• Evening All,
    Perfect fast day which was difficult after a bad night, too hot to sleep. Playing bowls this afternoon was unpleasant, it was far too hot but I got through the challenges.

Just watering the garden now it is finally in the shade and getting an early night.

Looking forward to a controlled day tomorrow.

Be Happy

My FD went well today which was a surprise as I thought I might struggle.

I went out at lunchtime and bought some large bottles of carbonated water. I stopped buying it quite some time ago but decided it was just what was needed on a day like today, perfect with ice and a slice of lemon or lime ๐Ÿ™‚

Nothing ventured nothing gained so tomorrow will be another FD.

I am sorry to read that Jo and Amazon are just struggling a wee bit to re harness their awesomeness fear not cyber fast friends

Believe in yourself! Have faith in your abilities! Without a humble but reasonable confidence in your own powers you cannot be successful or happy.
    RT

Morning/evening all,

Another hot sunny morning ๐Ÿ™‚

Hi RT and thanks. I’m working on restoring my faith right now as this is the second day of B2B 500 calorie FDs.
    Back to what worked when I first started 5:2 and as the saying goes, why fix it if it’s not broken!

Have a good one everybody ๐Ÿ˜œ

Good Morning All,

Amazon-I am back into clear mind and purpose too. I think my problem has been too much going on to focus on fasting.

What with competitive bowls and ‘terrorist’ attacks my mind and emotions have been all over the shop. Having close relatives in Central London (not to mention our own Amazon) I do worry about their safety. Irrational though it may be it’s ever present. The Polital situation in this country is very unsettled too and life seems very uncertain.

I can ‘do this’ and really need to get on with it or I will be writing this thread for another 3 years without having progressed to goal. My focus has changed since we started fasting though, originally it was just for ‘weight loss’ now it is mainly for good health of mind and body. On this front progress has been dramatic so I take comfort from that success.

I have yet another funeral to attend next week of a fellow bowler, he suffered very badly in his last 5 years. He had to care for a very deranged wife( alziemers), she tried to stab him on more than one occasion. He refused to report her. They tried putting her in a home but she shouted non stop for a month so they brought her home. Her daughters called in daily to help but both needed to work for a living to support their children as both single parents. Caring for her 24/7 destroyed my friends health, his lungs gave up, he was forced to wear a cylinder for the past year, he still bowled when he was able. He was a sporting man his whole life, orinally a keen footballer, cyclist, golfer then bowler. He was a very kind and generous man. Not sure how his family will cope without him. I will miss him very much.

Another very hot day, I slept with my windows and doors open last night, noisy but cool. I have a Juliet Balcony and double doors so very airy. However those birds wake up very early in summer, gulls are particularly loud but thousands of sparrows make quite a cacophony too.

Light lunch of scrambled egg and salad dinner, octopus tonight.

Have a great day everyone

I had a good morning at the gym. The pool is usually far too crowded on a Tuesday for me to even contemplate going anywhere near but it was deserted this morning so I ended my workout with a lovely relaxing swim.

It is now 29C with a nice cooling breeze.

I’ve been sleeping well even in the heat and I’ve realised that most of my discomfort was due to being obese rather than the temperature.
    I love hot weather but there are limits. It was 42C courtside at Queens yesterday and I’m relieved that I didn’t buy any tickets this year as there isn’t much shade.

Jo, after living through the years of the IRA bombings I don’t worry about the risk of terrorism. Life must go on as normal or those who would commit such attacks will be encouraged. I am far more distressed by the Grenfell Tower fire and the incompetence that has followed. The council have failed completely and the government have done no better.

I’m looking forward to seeing Andy Murray play today and he’ll be getting an extra cheer from me as he has said that he will donate all of his winnings this week to the Grenfell disaster fund.

I’m planning on a mozzarella and avocado salad for dinner today as the kitchen has been designated a cooking free zone ๐Ÿ˜‰

The difference in temperature regulation in a thinner body is fascinating, isn’t it Amazon?

We were only discussing yesterday how many coats we own now. When we had extra fat layers we never needed one.
    Similarly, in summer I usually wear short sleeved cardigans over summer frocks now. Previously I would always have gone sleeveless.

I listened to an overweight radio announcer yesterday commenting how mild this winter has been and that she has not put a heater on. We have had the fire going every day. We are freezing.

Good decision to go back to basics. When in doubt, always return to the tried and proven. It should be easy in the hot weather. P โ˜บ

Hi Purple,

I wanted to go back to what I had been doing originally but was having problems getting through a FD AND eating too much on non FDs which is why I thought BSD might be a good idea but I forgot that I have a life and I’m not staying home for 8 weeks!

As for being hot/cold, I suffered dreadfully last winter and it wasn’t a severe one. I now have bedsocks, hot water bottle and heat pack for cold nights and I was wearing thick clothes that hadn’t seen the light of day for years and not just because they were previously tight.

The gym has A/C and I was tempted to stay longer as it was so nice in there ๐Ÿ˜† and when I came outside into the cool breeze it was a nice surprise ๐Ÿ˜Ž

I’m curled up in bed in my Xmas woolen socks I bought in Scotland ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š
    The huge benefit of 5:2 is the intermittent nature of it. That is why it has been so phenomenally successful all over the world. Every day restriction is not flexible enough for most of us.
    All the best. P

Hi All,
    Just back from bowls, bit cooler today so much more pleasant. Now planning g on taking the dogs to the woods.

I only suffered with cold when I first started fasting, first three months. I only usually wear a coat when it’s very cold. I am on the go most of the time and rarely feel cold but I still have plenty of blubber (still size 16) to protect me. My feet are always very hot, day and Night which is quite unpleasant. They never go under a quilt and I am always barefoot at home. I suggested barefoot bowls at my club but they won’t even try it. Health and safety concerns.

Just had lunch and already looking forward to dinner, no breakfast even on non fast days. The earlier I start eating the hungrier I get( at least mentally).

Lots of housework to tackle this afternoon. Boring! May check out the tennis though

Oh dear!
    John Thompson Australia is playing Murray and playing very well.
    Come on Andy!
    I think I may be missing my Ukelele Class tonight, can’t leave this game.

Dinner was really good, no more delights until dinner tomorrow night as fast day tomorrow. Luckily busy all day until 6 pm.

His name is Jordan Thompson and he’s only playing well because Andy isn’t. And it’s not a game, it’s a match!

Well done Jordan Thompson, apologies for spelling error and tennis terms, no offense intended.

I know that Jo and I can’t imagine you would deliberately try to cause offence to anyone.
    I was just letting off steam because I think I could have played better than Andy did today and I can’t play tennis. He needs a good slap!

I’m now watching my favourite women player Vika Azarenka. It is her first match back since maternity leave and she’s already 3-0 up with 2 breaks of serve ๐Ÿ˜Ž

Vent away Amazon.
    I thought Jordan was a sweetie though. He was in the right place at the right time. Andy is still recovering his form, he will get there.
    Glad you are still enjoying other tennis players

Morning/evening all,

Getting up in the morning to a clear blue sky and sunshine is getting to be a habit ๐Ÿ˜Ž
    Another hot one forecast today.

Have a good one everybody ๐Ÿ˜œ

At 4.24pm we passed the winter solstice, so now the days are getting longer (and colder, and windier!) Lucky you, being in bed at that hour, P! 6am the alarm goes, four days a week (Fridays OH and I both get to sleep in.)

He’s got a doctor’s appointment on Friday to which I have been invited to argue the position that he does not need assistance to lower cholesterol. His blood sugar and HbA1c are within the normal range, and although his cholesterol was 6.2 at the last test, the ratio is 4.1, only a smidgen over the recommended level. And at our age I understand the risk is too low, rather than too high, cholesterol readings.

My new fitbit is telling me fibs – that I have achieved 10,000 steps today. How can it know, dangling as it does at the end of my arm? It tried to tell me that, once again, I had 0 minutes getting to sleep last night, when in fact it was more like half an hour. Once again, how can it know? I’m beginning to agree with OH that it was a waste of money.

Enjoy your warm weather, NH folks. Winter is Coming (now where have I heard that before??)

Carry On, Britain!

I’m celebrating the Winter Solstice right now Barara! Lamb slow cooked and crepe Suzette for dessert!! Come on Spring! !! ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š

We have to get thru July and August yet Purple! But I love your enthusiasm, mmm slow cooked lamb sounds amazing – fast day for me and cauliflower soup only!

The camellias have all started flowering though, plus the first of all those bulbs that followed me home from Jamieson! First of the Jonquils opened yesterday, just love the perfume! Next job is to start pruning the roses. Jack the four-legged grandie is coming tomorrow, maybe he can help me in the garden. Then Friday with my grandaughter, another week will be gone!

I am jealous of all that heat you have in the North at present, fasting definitely harder in the cold. Though today was ok as I met two old nursing friends for ‘lunch’ and the chatting was a great distraction. I had coffee, one friend had fruit and the other dined alone!!

The new ‘Bridge over troubled waters’ in aid of Grenfell Towers London is truely incredible. Finally Simon Cowell does something in a good cause.
    Those poor families will be haunted for life by this tragedy, it is still giving me nightmares.

We may hit 34 degrees this afternoon and I am bowling. I am taking a brolly, no point suffering.

Sick of politics, never ending turmoil.

It’s my pagan roots Nama ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š
    Anyway, we are off to warmer weather for part of winter.
    The camelias have been stunning here this year. It rained at the right time. P

Meanwhile in the NH it is set to be the hottest summer solstice in history and the hottest June since the summer of 1976 when we had a drought.

The A/C in the gym is fab ๐Ÿ˜

I’m so tempted to have a glass of chilled wine but being strong as I’m trying not to drink alcohol at home unless it is the weekend.

Is it just the Brits who want a chilled alcoholic beverage when it’s hot and sunny? We get good weather so rarely we just slip into holiday mode?!

Hot in Cumbria too, but thankfully not 30+!

Some new research has made the news recently, highlighting that it isn’t just obesity associated with poor health outcomes, being merely overweight is also associated with an increased risk of death and disease.

It’s been picked up by the BBC and NHS, and also here
    https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/jun/12/being-overweight-not-just-obese-kills-millions-a-year-say-experts

So, another nail in the coffin of ‘fat and fit’ I’m afraid. No room for complacency girls and boys….

Hi Happy,

I read that article last week and it made me even more determined to rid myself of the remainder of my excess baggage.

I made do with a glass of tonic water with ice and lemon ๐Ÿ˜‡

White wine is always drunk chilled… summer or winter. Red is always room temp, except if mulled.
    My Aussie aunt, who lived in England for 60 years, served white white from the cupboard. Urgghhhh! Was she unusual or is that an English norm? I know, when I was young, people used to always laugh about the English drinking beer warm. Fact or fiction?
    Well done for resisting Amazon. On a 44deg fast day last summer, we experimented with making Frozรฉ….a slushie from rosรฉ…not a good idea on an empty stomach! !! ๐Ÿ˜ž P

Thanks Happy that article is disturbing and further demonstrates the need for vigilance,to ask do I really need that food or do I just want it?
    Fasting for health benifets
    “Motivation gets you going and habit gets you there”
    at 1pm 2 hours away I will come off a 42 hour fast with farm fresh eggs 3 scramble with cheese and fresh chives today and a dollop of full fat sour cream.
    Eat Fast & Live Longer
    Peace RT

Morning/Evening,

Wednesday is scale day. The record says -3.2-2.8=6.0 lbs. Hard to believe isn’t it?
    I do believe on the benefits of Fasting but all the hard ward is good for nothing when the other days sounds like vacation.
    At this moment intermittent, control portion and light on alcohol. Nothing new there.
    Nama and Purple … that talking about lamb stew again.
    Barata I always wondered how those little gadgets can monitor our steps and else. I am tempted to buy a fitbit. You make me think now.
    Today I tried to make that steamed cod fish. It was a Martha Stewart recipe. I loved it but hubby said it had too much ginger. My kind of taste.
    Will read that article from Happy and night night.
    Talk to you tomorrow.

Morning/evening all,

Purple,

The general population in the UK only started drinking wine 30 years ago and before that for most people there was some very poor wine and no idea what to do with it!

I have a wine rack in my fridge so a glass of chilled white or rosรฉ is always available ๐Ÿ˜‰

As for proper beer ie ale, I doubt that they had the sophisticated equipment that is now available to chill draught beer. It is served at a cooler temperature these days, but too chilled and it diminishes the flavour rather like chilling red wine.
    Most countries in the world don’t make ale, what they call beer is actually lager which tastes much better chilled.

Another beautifulmorning although isolated thunderstorms are predicted,

Have a good onne everybody ๐Ÿ˜œ

I had the beer, ale, lager lesson from one of my sons recently. ๐Ÿ˜Š I don’t touch the stuff, but dad always drank it (them) cold all my childhood.๐Ÿบ
    My aunt drank expensive French and Italian wines from the early’50s. Her husband was a businessman who travelled abroad often. Not sure why they drank it at room temp. She was still offering me tepid white wine 5 years ago. ๐Ÿ˜‘ I had to put a bottle in the fridge when I arrived.
    4pm on a fast day…all this talk of drinking gives me ideas…best have a coffee ๐Ÿฎ P

Well done HCB ๐Ÿ™‚

Hi Fast Trackers and Hello World (You All know Who You ARE) ๐Ÿ˜‰
    BELIEVE it or not , These are REAL 911 Calls!
    Dispatcher: 9-1-1 What is your emergency? Caller: I heard what sounded like gunshots coming from the brown house on the corner. Dispatcher: Do you have an address? Caller: No, I have on a blouse and slacks, why?
    Dispatcher: 9-1-1 What is your emergency? Caller: Someone broke into my house and took a bite out of my ham and cheese sandwich . Dispatcher: Excuse me? Caller: I made a ham and cheese sandwich and left it on the kitchen table and when I came back from the bathroom, someone had taken a bite out of it. Dispatcher: Was anything else taken? Caller: No, but this has happened to me before and Iโ€™m sick and tired of it!
    Dispatcher: 9-1-1 What is the nature of your emergency? Caller: Iโ€™m trying to reach nine eleven but my phone doesnโ€™t have an eleven on it. Dispatcher: This is nine eleven. Caller: I thought you just said it was nine-one-one Dispatcher: Yes, maโ€™am nine-one-one and nine-eleven are the same thing. Caller: Honey, I may be old, but Iโ€™m not stupid.
    My Personal Favorite!!! Dispatcher: 9-1-1 Whatโ€™s the nature of your emergency? Caller: My wife is pregnant and her contractions are only two minutes apart Dispatcher: Is this her first child? Caller: No, you idiot! This is her husband!
    And the winner isโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ.
    Dispatcher: 9-1-1 Caller: Yeah, Iโ€™m having trouble breathing. Iโ€™m all out of breath. Darnโ€ฆ.I think Iโ€™m going to pass out. Dispatcher: Sir, where are you calling from? Caller: Iโ€™m at a pay phone. North and Foster. Dispatcher: ! Sir, an ambulance is on the way. Are you an asthmatic? Caller: No Dispatcher: What were you doing before you started having trouble breathing? Caller: Running from the Police.
    Have A Happy Weekend All You beautiful Losers ๐Ÿ˜†
    Peace RT

Have a good one RT.๐Ÿ˜Š
    Well done on your long fast too.P

RT those funnies were the best from all.
    ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ
    Thanks

Morning/evening all

Another sunny day in Paradise ๐Ÿ˜‰

Friday already, where did the week go?

Third FD of a week that has gone very well so far, two good fasts and two well controlled non FDs. I hope I can keep it up.
    I’ve also been to the gym 3 times this week for the first time in months. The great outdoors is beckoning this morning and I’m going for a walk while the sun is shining as it is going to cloud over later.

I’ve used a new (to me) recipe for mushroom and spinach curry and added some borlotti beans to make it more substantial.
    I’m looking forward to tasting it now it’s had 24 hours for the ingredients to get to know each other ๐Ÿ™‚

Have a good weekend everybody ๐Ÿ˜œ

Winter solstice, and winter has arrived in this corner of the SH. Chilly and breezy, although not too much liquid tipped from the rain gauge attached to the pole that holds (now) my brand new clothes line. Just need a nice day to test it out.

HCB, don’t rush out to buy a fitbit. I found that I had taken ten steps before I had got out of bed this morning. And the application on my computer refuses to recognise that I have either slept or stepped today.

My milk kefir has matured, and is now providing a more tasty product. If I am keeping it for muesli next day it sits out and continues to ferment. And tonight I drank it as I separate it from the grains as it’s bacon and eggs on Saturday morning. I shared it with step-grandson who is with us again prior to sentencing on Wednesday, and he was able to identify yeast and fizziness – I’m impressed with that, as my palate is not so sensitive.

Ale is good on a hot day, needs to be chilled though. I hate to be unpatriotic, but nothing beats an Aussie shiraz (or a Kiwi syrah – a nod to the original). A visit to your fridge next time we are in London, Amazon?

While we are being unpatriotic Barata, one of my favourite wineries is Monkey Bay, NZ. Best Monkey Juice is their Pinot Grigio. And Marlborough region produces some good drops too!

I try to stick to locally produced wines wherever I am. Support local growers, I say. โ˜บโ˜บP

Yep I agree Purple, the Yarra Valley produces some great stuff. But I don’t drink enough for anyone to notice!! Am a very cheap drunk…

I could help…๐Ÿ˜‰ Nama
    Actually, these days one glass is enough for me now that I’m smaller. One glass at lunch. One at dinner. Hic! P

I’ve made a small investment in an English vineyard not too far from London and will be taking delivery of 6 bottles of fizz in the autumn ๐Ÿพ

I like to drink local wine wherever I am, and I’ve not been to many places that don’t produce any. I was pleasantly surprised by Tunisian wine back in the 1980s and there are 2 vineyards in Myanmar which produce some very good wines.

My Adelaide friends have a place in the Clare valley and I love staying there as we often visit the local vineyards and sample some of their latest products ๐Ÿ˜Ž

I also enjoy local ales and have sampled excellent brews in LA, Bruges, Clare and of course Hull ๐Ÿ˜‰

No alcohol today, only kefir, coffee and lots of water.

I’ve just been to Kew Gardens and was very disappointed to find that they’ve installed self serve coffee machines in the Orangery restaurant. I’m yet to have a decent hot drink from such a device so waited until I got home as I didn’t want to walk back to one of their other cafรฉs.
    It is a much sunnier day than the forecast suggests ๐ŸŒž

It’s our role as travellers, isn’t it Amazon? ๐Ÿ˜‰ I’ll be interested in your local fizz.
    We had elderberry “wine” in Scotland from the farm my ancestors had worked on.

Shame about the Orangery coffee. Nothing beats a good barrista. P

A trip through a brewery in Bruges is a trip down memory lane, Amazon. I enjoyed it so much during our sojourn in the UK that we took a return trip. No to be confused with our weekend in Luxembourg, when we had the distinction of being thrown out of a restaurant!!!

Hello,
    No! You can’t replace a good barista Purple! I am a coffee lover. There one place in Town I pretty much try to treat myself with a good cappuccino or a single espresso. Otherwise I bring my own from Brazil.
    In Switzerland a glass of water cost as much as a glass of water. That’s when a sample their beers. Here in the US the fastest growing business in the past 5 years are local small breweries. Not my type of program … I prefer wine and that’s when I get carried away. I am trying to behave lately.
    Yesterday I pick up two cook books from Yotam Ottolenghi. Beautiful recipes there.
    Beautiful day here! I am almost done with all outside windows, sky lights and sidings of the house. There goes my steps believe me.
    Be well wherever you are ๐ŸŒบ

Busy girl HBC! Enjoy your beautiful weather ๐Ÿ˜Š

When I was in LA in 1995 the first day we were there we found a “sports bar” so went in out of curiosity and the need for a cold beer. When we got to the bar there was an array of taps with beers named Strawberry Blonde etc and on talking to the barman found out they owned a micro brewery and the beers couldn’t be found anywhere else. We dropped in every afternoon for a beer and a chat. I think they were astounded at 2 English ladies drinking beer!
    It also made a nice change to the completely over the top service that the locals obviously expected.

We went for dinner one evening and I asked for a Martini

Waiter “Gin or vodka?”

Me “Gin please”

W “Straight up or on the rocks?”

M “Straight up please”

W “Olive or a cherry?”

M “Olive please”

W “Green or black?”

At this point I wanted to say FFS just give me the drink but I said “Green please”

He turned to my friend and asked her what she would like to drink and she said

“I don’t know, I haven’t looked at the menu yet”…………..

๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿธ

๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿน

Amazon ๐Ÿ˜‰ ๐Ÿ˜† just beautiful wordsmanship
    RT

Evening All,

Very busy couple of days, bad back AGAIN but soldering on.
    Glad everyone sounds on fine form

Chat tomorrow

Be good!

Hi Fast Trackers
    Hello World (You All know Who You ARE) ๐Ÿ˜‰
    Fasting continues to gather almost weekly better health outcomes better research and clinical trials for all the health markers this article I found is yet another example
    http://www.healthy-holistic-living.com/scientists-discover-fasting-triggers-stem-cell-regeneration-fights-cancer.html?t=DM
    10200 steps in the bank this morning the MWF routine is working well and fitting into my doable way of life just the discipline and not the motivation is really all that I need.
    โ€œSuccess is nothing more than a few simple disciplines practiced everydayโ€
    Peace RT

Hi all,
    Freezing and fasting here in Melbourne, very chilly getting oout of the pool this morning! Not sure how many ‘equivalent steps’ 40 laps equals RT!

I hope your back improves soon Jo, must have overdone the bowling!!!

Thanks for the link RT, I have read that one before. In fact, it was one of the articles that decided Mr Nama to start fasting once a week for health benefits. His weight has never been an issue and he is pretty healthy (apart from familial hypertension, well controlled with low dose of meds), however when his PSA kept rising a couple of years ago, further investigations (incl biopsy) revealed a non agressive prostate cancer. Fortunately the latest research on this level of cancer shows a ‘careful surveillance’ method is preferable to jumping in with a knife and doing all sorts of collateral damage. So, he is having 3 monthly checkups,plus specialized MRIs yearly. What I am getting to is the fact that for the last 2 lots of bloods, ie over 6 months, his PSA readings have actually fallen significantly – after slowly climbing over 5 years. His specialist (being an Indian gentleman, and perhaps more open to non-western methods) asked him what he was doing differently! All he could think of was 12 months of daily Kefir, plus 6 months of weekly fasting… The specialist just said to keep doing both! Obviously this is a long bow to draw, but who knows???

Viewing 50 posts - 2,401 through 2,450 (of 7,277 total)

You must be logged in to reply.