Just started!!

This topic contains 13 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  HIPPYHAYLES 7 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

• Hi people,

Well ive just started the 5:2, however im doing mine with a slight twist. I’m using exante shakes as well as slimming world and calorie counting. I have done MANY diets before and I have finally realised these all fail as I get hungry. I did SW a few years ago and managed to loose over 4 stone, that has now all come back of course!

So, my diet at the moment is, shakes for breakfast and lunch at 200kcal each, then SW meal in the evening at maybe around 600-700kcal. I then have 2 fasting days which consists of 3 shakes which totals 600kcal for the day.

Im getting married in April so this is the push that I need to stick to it.

Has anybody else tried this combination, does it or will it work???

🙂

Hello,
    Ditch the shakes and eat real food. Reduce the amount of refined carbs-bread/rice/pasta/potatoes and sugar, avoid anything low fat or diet(stuffed full of sugar) and have 2 days when you eat 500 calories of real food, nothing fake.

I have just had a look at exante shakes but cannot find what is in them. What do they contain?

Hey,

thanks for your reply! The contain lots of vitamins, a banana shake has 201kcal, 6.4g fat, 20g carbs, 11g sugar and 14g protein. The others are pretty similar too.

I was going for this approach to help me keep count of what im actually putting in my body and I thought the shakes would be good on the fasting days so I know exactly what calorie content im having on those days.

Im with Annette on ditching the shakes and protein bars. Eat real food!! My wife was having protein bars from a very well known brand of diet supplements starting with O and ending in fast. Their protein bars were 32.2% sugar!! Absolute crap. Read the label. Have many carbs and how much sugar content? Just ditch them.

Hi,

Really??? Wow that’s a lot, mine have a low sugar compared to the bars your wife had. I managed to loose 6lbs on my first week so thought this would be a good idea?

I am eating one meal a day, I just use a slimming world meal and make sure I count the calories too. I use my fitness pal to log these to keep track.

Maybe not then from what these replies say???

Im confused now 🙁

@hh. If its working for you stay with the bars but Im still of the opinion that real food HAS to be better for you. May be try and transition slowly and see how you cope. The 20g of carbs will be highly processed and will be turned into glucose very shortly after entering your stomach. In reality its 20g + 11 g = 31g glucose. Whats the total grams in a serve? 50grams? If that’s the case youre actually having 62% glucose in that serve.

I usually just have a raw veggie salad with some low sugar dressing and a splash of apple cider vinegar (make sure the vinegar is zero sugar. The worst one I came across was a vinegar with 55% sugar content!!!!!!! Insane!!!!). You get lots of micro nutrients and fibre. Cant beat it. Pick what you like and throw it into the salad. I have mushrooms, lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes, asparagus, zucchini, eggplant, some tofu or chopped up cheese. Sometimes some tuna. Whatever takes your fancy. Your gut bacteria need real food with fibre in it to survive. Feed them processed crap and they slowly die. A good gut flora will have over 6000 different species. Eat processed crap and that number drops to below 3000.

I would start tomorrow 6th

so would follow some of the 8 week blood sugar diet.

Thanks

Hi @hippyhayles 🙂 have you calculated your daily calorie allowance (TDEE) using the BMI calculator under resources on this site?

It looks as though you’re getting around 1100 cals on a normal day and 600 on a fast day which may not be enough to sustain you properly over the week. Fast days are meant to be 25% of your TDEE, while normal days are meant to be closer to 100% of your TDEE. For example, my TDEE is 1600 so I eat 400 cals on a fast day and 1600 on a normal day, roughly.

With your food choices I would echo what most others have said, however I completely understand the desire to know exactly the number of calories you’re eating. I personally make portions of my fast day meals in advance (I have lentil soup and vegetable curry), measure them out into exact portions so they’re ready like freezer meals. Take it slowly, maybe work on losing one of the shakes and replacing with a real foods meal. A big part of any diet is how long term you can make it, will you really want to be drinking shakes this often for the rest of your life? If not, it’s not sustainable and unfortunately probably wont lead to long term success. Transition into something you can do forever.

Myself and a group of friends from this forum are taking part in a January challenge if you’d like to join us, we’ve still got a few spaces and would love to support you through your journey :), you can find us here:
    https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/januarys-small-group-accountability-challenge/

If anything I’ve said doesn’t make sense or you want to have a chat just let me know 🙂

hI @xamos

Thank you so much for your reply! Right, my TDEE is 2340 (yes im a large girl lol) and my BMR is 1950. So my fast days need to be around 585 if I’ve worked it out right.

I was under the impression that as long as I reduced my calorie intake my weight would start to come off. I understand about the shakes but I really do struggle with portion control and eating in general, oops lol.

I have no intention of being on the shakes forever its just something to help me start my weight loss journey.

As I said before my evening meals are slimming world based so I am eating a nice large meal to stop me from having those binges at night and it curbs any hunger.

I’m getting married in April so I need something that I can stick to, my plan was after stopping the shakes do slimming world on the 5 days and then low cal food for the fasting.

Does this still sound a bad idea?

@hippyhayles no problem 🙂 I feel as though I’m about to write an essay so I apologise in advance!

Yep that’s exactly right, so actually your 3 shakes at 600 calories for your fast day is about right. (Which activity level did you put? I saw someone on the forums posting that you should go for the one under the one you think you are – just to be sure. I have to go for sedentary)

Again you’re right that if you reduce your calories the weight will come off but in the interest of sustainability it’s important to not reduce them too much – this will eventually lead to binges, generally feeling rubbish or your body refusing to let go of weight because it thinks you’re in a famine.

Portion control is a tricky one for me too – I don’t know what your cooking situation is like but I only have to cook for myself at the moment and I’ve put together 7 or 8 recipes that I love and I just rotate them. I’ve estimated calories for each of them so I know I’ll never go over my TDEE and I don’t have to obsessively weigh everything. For example, say chicken and rice would be 1 chicken breast (300), 1 spoon mayo (100), 1 portion veg (50) and 3/4 cup rice (150) (I love my set of American cup measures (I’m in the UK) I hardly weigh anything anymore!) which totals to 600, so I’ll have 2 meals at a similar calorie count and a breakfast of around 200 cals which allows me one or two treats to make up the other 200, I love a biscuit or two 🙂

Okay, considering there are 3500 calories in one pound of fat, if you were to do 5:2 with 5 days of 2340 cals and 2 days of 585 cals you would produce a weekly deficit of 3510 cals and expect to lose around 1 pound per week (standard for 5:2) – I’m unsure how much weight you have to lose, you’ve probably heard that it’s not recommended to lose more than 2 pounds per week however it is okay if you have a fair bit to lose but it will slow up eventually.

If you were to do an alternate day fasting regime, fasting 7 days out of 14 you would create a two-weekly calorie deficit of 12285 and expect to lose 3.51 pounds every two-weeks (nearly 2 pounds per week).

To make up your calories on a non-fast day you could eat 3 x 700 calorie slimming world meals and still have 240 calories for treats!

Personally, I would recommend an Alternate Day Fasting approach with nearly 100% of your TDEE 7 days out of 14 and 25% the other 7. I will be returning to ADF on the 7th January after a break for the holidays and I would be more than happy to pair up and speak regularly if you wanted to? We can be fasting buddies 🙂

@hh. Its not so much about the calories. This is a common mistake. Its more about where those calories come from rather than the amount of calories as such. Do you think you would get the same results by eating 2000 calories of sugar per day compared to 2000 calories of broccoli? I can guarantee that one of those foods will put you into an early grave and one will probably be quite healthy for you. Want to guess which one is which?

By all means take baby steps but ween yourself off fake foods. As xamos has said, do you really think shakes are do-able for the rest of your life? I know eating veggies is do-able for the rest of my life.

In the two years Ive been on this site Ive yet to read one post that has said I really struggle with portion control when eating broccoli. I just cant stop. I binge on the stuff all the time. Usually the binging is sugar and processed carbs. Now there is a clue right away. ween yourself off those cheap carbs. Personally I avoid all grain based carbs. So no bread, pasta, pizza, cake, biscuits etc. No SUGAR! No fruit juice! No potatoes.

If you can do that your well on your way. Remember you want to develop an eating pattern that is do-able for the rest of your like. If not then it will be just like any other diet. You’ll reach your goal weight revert back to your old eating habits and then guess what will happen.

I think that there are a number of issues here. Robert Lustig would suggest that you ate real food, so that is eggs, cheese, full fat milk, full fat yoghurt, whole fruit and vegetables and unprocessed meat/fish, nuts, seeds and beans, wholegrain pasta and wholegrain bread and brown rice. The issue is not the calories but rather the quality of the food and what that is doing to your body.

Jason Fung ‘The Obesity Code’ argues that refined carbohydrates were always know to be fattening but that in 1977 due to poor science it was declared that dietary fat was responsible for causing heart disease simply because fat is calorifically dense. So without any discovery or scientific debate a politician changed what we are all recommended to eat!The foods that had been avoided in order to stay slim-pasta, rice, potatoes..were now the ones that we were urged to eat.

As a carbohydrate couldn’t be both good-low fat and bad-fattening, it was calories that become the problem and the fattening carbohydrate became a healthy wholegrain. Therefore we were at fault for consuming too many calories.

It’s a really interesting book(downloaded mine onto a kindle)but his premise is that obesity is due to a hormonal imbalance of too much Insulin. By reducing sugar and refined carbohydrates in the diet he suggests that is half the solution, the other half is to fast to reduce the Insulin.

What I would suggest is that you do some meal planning and come up with 3 meals a day, that are only real food. No snacking at all between meals.Are you hungry in the morning or could you do without breakfast? I am happy to help with ideas if you are stuck.

My very dear friend who has been very obese all of her life despite several mad diets(she always put the weight back on and more) has lost 4.5 stone over last year simply by avoiding bread/pasta/potatoes/rice. She eats real food, whatever she likes but in avoiding those 4 items eats tasty food that she enjoys. Give it a try for a week and see how you feel.

It’s not about calories, it’s about ditching sugar and refined carbs. Change your focus and aim to eat meals that are either meat or fish with salad or vegetables for a week and see how your clothes fit/how you feel etc.

Ditch any snacking too, however healthy, to allow Insulin levels to fall between meal. It isn’t normal not to feel hungry but it is something that you are unused to and seem to be worried about..so start small. Stop snacking completely.

wow thank you so much for your replies! This is a great help, for now I think im going to stick with my original idea and see how it goes until the end of this month.

As I said, the shakes are just for an initial boost to get me going and once my weight has started to come off I shall stop them and eat low cal meals.

I find that calorie counting is the way forward me as it makes me think before I put it in my mouth!

im just thankful for your help and advice x

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply.