June 2018 Monthly Challenge – Hello Summer!!!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
June 2018 Monthly Challenge – Hello Summer!!!

This topic contains 933 replies, has 68 voices, and was last updated by  Anna6 5 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 601 through 650 (of 938 total)

• Day 18, London, UK, NFD.

Late post due to an early start for an all day training course today, even though I don’t work on Mondays!!!! It was catered, so it fit in with my usual NFD, although bread hasn’t been on the menu for a looooong time…………. suffering from the loudly gurgling tummy now!!!!

Happy Retirement Day @annemarilyn I couldn’t be more envious!!!!

B2B2B starts tomorrow …………..Phew!!!!

Fd ended cd. I ate the last of the fish cakes there was in the fridge. They were delicious 😋 but they were also extra calories. Good night 💤🌙 everyone.

Day 18, Germany, NFD

Hello all,
    Thanks for the encouragement @stichincarol. I feel better today. I’m less busy on Sundays, so I had time for those little trips to the kitchen, but I don’t do that any more. Plus it was Father’s day and I’ve lost my dad recently so my emotions were all over the place yesterday.

I don’t have scales here, so I don’t know how much I weigh, but I’ve definitely lost weight last week. I can see it and I can feel it too. But my most incredible improvement is health related. I have ulnar tube syndrome in both of my elbows. The pain and the numbness in my hands are almost completely gone. (It got noticeably better after 2 weeks of 16:8 a month ago). I don’t know the reason, it’s not the weight because this started a few years ago when I was underweight for a long time. My only explanation is that my body needs rest to heal itself and with this WOE i don’t eat all the time.

I made a little modification after the first week. I decided to keep the 16:8 and 5:2, but increase my food intake a little, so I can get up from the table satisfied. That might slow down the weight loss, but it’s more sustainable in the long run than feeling deprived all the time. Having only two meals/day and no snacks in between starts to become easier now. If i want a little snack, i save it for meal time and that works.

I’m actually looking forward to tomorrow’s FD.

@annemarilyn Happy retirement!

2nd post

@stitchincarol a pocket list is a group of people fasting the same day and we list the names as added support to see us through the day. One of our members needed the support and use to print the list and keep them in her pocket (hence pocket list) throughout the day for the times when she felt her resolve was dwindling. Its amazing how it helps one get over a bump just by thinking of the others on the list who are also doing a fast day.

@annemarilyn — I KNOW you will enjoy retirement! Public school teaching has so many wonderful joys, but there are tons of joys after teaching ahead for you. YEAH! (hope you can do all the things you put off — we did the Fall Junket to Vermont and NH right after I retired because we never could!)

Day 18-USA-FD

Day 18, Guildford UK, CFD

Oh dear. Last two days have involved alcohol, pizza and even prossecco.

@annemarilyn may I add my congrats too.

@flourbaby joining you on the B2B2B tomorrow.

Mari

Day 19 – Japan – NFD 77.8kg

Finally was able to weight myself. 43 water fasts done in 2018 so far.

I’m not maintaining because I can’t easily see my abs yet. At best I can only see hints of the abs. I don’t know what my maintenance weight will be. A few years ago I had an evaluation done at a sports clinic in the USA that was based off of a DEXA scan. I was told my goal of 175lbs was unrealistic, but 77.8kg is around 171lbs. So I guess my goal should have been lower.

Hello! I have done 5:2 fasting once 2 years ago and lost 8LB but them got pregnant and after 3 years I have decided to get back on track! I have borderline high cholesterol and am over weight. I need to go back to healthy normal BMI and planning to loss 20 lb in 3 months before my trip to Portugal.
    I need your support as I do not have much will power to stick to it! Today was my first FD and so far so good! As I am joining in middle of June , just hopping for 3-4 lb this month.
    Q:”Are you planning on to 800 cal or previous 500/600 calories?”

Lets hope all of us are LOSERS this month!!!!

Day 19, Finland, NFD

Good morning everyone. Made it through a difficult FD yesterday, got a good 8 hours sleep, but feeling a little flat today. I am already worried about how to get through the weekend…it is midsummer, a big food and drink fest with friends. I am working on the weekend, which means will have to keep alcohol to a minimum. As we are hosting a party it means I have control over food options, just have to trust myself that I can keep portions to a decent size.

My aim for the day is to try and drink enough water, this is something I always struggle with. Taking the kids to the movies today.

Have a great day everyone.

Day 19, Finland, NFD

Good morning everyone. Made it through a difficult FD yesterday, got a good 8 hours sleep, but feeling a little flat today. I am already worried about how to get through the weekend…it is midsummer, a big food and drink fest with friends. I am working on the weekend, which means will have to keep alcohol to a minimum. As we are hosting a party it means I have control over food options, just have to trust myself that I can keep portions to a decent size.

My aim for the day is to try and drink enough water, this is something I always struggle with. Taking the kids to the movies today.

Have a great day everyone.

Day 19 – Ireland 🇮🇪 – FD
    2nd B2B

My food in transit issues are still lurking around so, having looked at my food intake recently, I must heftily increase my fruit and veg to try to get things moving. I do t eat a lot of fruit, hangover from my Dukan Diet days when the good Dr. steered us away from sugary fruit in the early stages to keep blood sugars low or whatever….

Anyway, I am lucky if I eat an apple a day, but I have lots of frozen raspberries and blueberries (my DH likes them) so I will do something with them today. Vegetable and lentil soup for lunch.

My mojo is flagging a bit this month. It’s a busy month socially, I always knew it would be difficult, and there is a weekend away coming up, then the month finishes with DH’s birthday…..so must keep the head down. Stay on that wagon 😄

@kerryn73 I know how you feel about midsummer festivities. I always like to mark the occasion, staying up until darkness falls usually with wine in hand (it’s not really dark until 11.30 or so – I imagine where you are it’s not really dark at this time of year?)……

Pocket list day 19
    @daffodil2010 2nd B2B

2nd post – Lately I’ve notice that have a higher heartrate after my fast than before. For example I can get my heartrate up to 125bpm just walking! I feel fine but my heart is just beating more. This effect fads away after about a day or so. While it burns more calories, I’m not so sure it is a good thing.

I also have less appetite but I’m still eating well. Just a bit less and a lot less snacking. Pretty sure that is a good thing.

Day 19, UK, NFD

Yesterday’s FD turned into a CD but that’s ok.

Great article @songbirdme – clear & concise. Thanks for sharing.
    @nono76 – welcome and hello. Working on the basic 5:2 principle of 500 cals for women is a good starting point. Knowing that you can go up to 800 if necessary can be helpful. Everyone is different – you just need to find out what works best for you. If you haven’t already, read @basyjames post on page one for lots of good information and guidance.
    @dykask – maybe you’re a bit dehydrated after your FD that causes your higher heart rate the next day. Worth looking into that.

I noticed how my mood was pretty subdued yesterday as it was dull and windy. But then the sun came out and I immediately felt more upbeat. The sun is trying to break through today – I hope it makes it. Another day of gardening beckons – anything to put off the housework lol!

Day 19 UK CD

Yesterday FD was good enough at c750 calories. Strange to have chocolate mug cake with fresh cherries and apricots at teatime, and needed a baked sweet potato for late supper. Hard work to have a busy Monday as it’s usually a rest day for me. It took a fair bit of self control not to listen to the snack dragon later on!

Feeling like an overfull week with deadlines, pressure and several projects to juggle. Already extra issues have appeared, and after the first few it’s easy to respond with frustration or judgement.

Important not to let my boundaries get overridden, and keep some balance and self-care in there. I don’t want to be taking refuge in sugar or wine, or staying up late to wind down with junk TV. Stretches, crispy salads and sleep will keep me going far longer, and keep me on track to my personal goals.

Now I’ve worked that out, and written it here for accountability, maybe more chance I’ll remember!

Start where you are, use what you have and do what you can: the rest will take care of itself

Day 19, Guildford UK, MFD 800

Getting high on green veg today.

Mari

Day 19 North Canton Oh FD
    Here is varady’s new study

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/06/180618113038.htm

Day 19, London, UK, FD (1st of B2B2B)

@rainbowsmile, we’re off and running with the B2B2B!!!

Just over 2 weeks ‘til my holiday, I really need to continue toning and tightening and if possible eradicating some fat!!! I need to be religious in my MSM consumption & moisturizing regime as I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror yesterday, from the WRONG angle my neck looks kind of crêpe-y …………… not good, not good at all!!!!!!!

Onward & downwards folks!!!!

Day 19…….Florida…..FD

I posted yesterday but I’m am not seeing it this morning, not sure what happened. Today is a straight up FD, I must regain control. I figured today is a good day seeing my plans are to be on the road the majority of the day. So, hopefully, I can refrain from stopping at any junk stores.
    Then for dinner, I have Caesar salad and chicken quesadillas planned.
    I want to welcome all the newbies to this WOL!

@flourbaby……thank you, I found my seat on the wagon, it feels comfy!

Japanese legend says that if you are not sleeping at night it is because you are awake!

Day 19, Germany FD

Hello all,

Adding myself to the pocket list for today:

Pocket list day 19
    @daffodil2010 2nd B2B
    @lorky35
    @basyjames
    @flourbaby
    @bert1802
    @annamariav

We can do this just for today, we can worry about the rest tomorrow. Happy fasting!

Second post, I forgot to add me

Pocket list day 19
    @daffodil2010 2nd B2B
    @lorky35
    @basyjames
    @flourbaby
    @bert1802
    @annamariav
    @rainbowsmile day 1 b2b2b

Day 19. Belfast NFD
    Thank you @basyjames and @songbirdme for those interesting articles

I didn’t come this far to only come this far

Day 19 USA (Illinois) NFD

Today is my every-8-week blood donation, so no fasting for me today or tomorrow. Maybe will on Thursday? Still maintaining, and that is great.

Onward and downward.

Day 19, Rocky Mountains, US, FD

My FD yesterday ended being a CD as well @anna6 and @strawberriesandcream, going for a FD again today. Slept somewhat better @stichincarol. I am applying Magnesium oil to me feet and hope it will help me to get to 8 hours of sleep. It is so hard fasting when I am tired all the time.
    @songbirdme and @basyjames: Thanks for the links to these interesting articles. Finally some scientists wake up and see what we already know for quite some time. 😊😊😊
    @annemarilyn: Happy retirement! 💐

Have a good Tuesday everyone! 😊🦋🌻🐞🌼

Day 19 – UK – NFD

An excellent LFD yesterday but did not manage a pure water fast as did have 2 cups of tea with a bit of skimmed milk so a total of around 30cals for the day and around 3L of water.

Went for my usual Tuesday morning group walk and have just broken my fast with a skinny flat white and a cheese scone 😋 Another birthday dinner out tonight with my Pilates group – hoping to stay around TDEE…….

Need to catch up with some housework but the tennis might distract me……

Hope everyone is doing OK and enjoying life

Day 19 – SW WA USA – FD

Yes,school is officially done but I still have to finish cleaning out my room at the primary building. I got the middle school one done yesterday. I did not set the alarm though today; looking forward to more of that. Thank you for more well wishes @flourbaby, @rainbowsmile, @redrockgirl302 and others. @songbirdme, yes I’m looking forward to additional travel as well. Fall colors back east would be nice.

@kerryn73 – your mentioning the midsummer celebrations reminded me of our summer in Norway. I remember the bonfires on the beaches and the ships along the fjord I could see from where we were staying. My husband was videoing at midnight; it was so bright.

@Strawberriesandcream – it is interesting how our mood and energy is affected by the sun; at least mine is too. That’s one of the things I’m looking forward to is moving to the sunny side of the state later this summer.

My usual Monday FD went by the wayside with celebratory cake at both buildings… So on to a good one today along with all of you on the list for today.

Pocket list day 19
    @daffodil2010 2nd B2B
    @lorky35
    @basyjames
    @flourbaby
    @bert1802
    @annamariav
    @rainbowsmile day 1 b2b2b
    @annemarilyn

NFD today. Messing around in the house today. Met with a personal trainer yesterday and feeling more confident that I can build my strength up. The key is to keep going and working out. I did get one of those “cool” shirts and they do seem to work. It’s a bit tight, which I thought they were supposed to be, but going back and try on a larger size.
    Everyone who is fasting today, have a great one.

Day 19 – USA – NFD

USA DAY 19 NFD

Just checking in! Day going well!

Day 19, Gozo, Malta, fd

Fast day went well today. I ate plenty of fruit though I nibbled a little too.

Ten days from today on the 29 June we’re going for a week in Sicily. We’re traveling north and staying three nights in Taormina. The other days in Giarratana visiting nearby villages and cites.

I’d like to lose some weight before we go on holiday. I seem to regain what I loose or most of it over the weekend.

Today I cooked chicken and sweet corn soup for lunch for my pregnant daughter and then a mixture of fried onions, tomatoes, eggs and grated cheese for dinner which she ate with fresh bread. For my husband and son I cooked fried Florentine steaks with eggs for lunch and angus burgers for my son for dinner. For my husband he ate some baked fish with potatoes for dinner. I nibbled on leftover dinner of my daughter

Good night 😴💤🌙 everyone. Tomorrow it’s another fast day for me. Keep on keeping on.

USA Day 19 NFD
    Second Post

Successful NFD coming in at 950 calories, well below my TDEE. Just started my 24 hour water fast, ending tomorrow at 6 pm. Last week I lost two lbs. on my water fast, so am hopeful for another loss. I just have to make sure I don’t lose control of myself. When I do, it is really hard for me to reigning it back in and I end up regaining what I lost. I hope my determination will keep me under control! Good luck, everyone!

Day 20 – Japan – NFD 79.7kg

Today my heartrate is normal. As StrawberriesAndCream suggested, dehydration likely is a factor. There are likely elevated hormone levels at play too. Anyway the dehydration from a water fast is very deep because the body uses up a lot of the stored glycogen which is about 75% water. Just drinking water doesn’t replace it. In my case there are often two workouts over the fast so even a lot of glycogen stored in the muscles gets used up. That is why I sometimes see ~3kg drop over a 36 hour fast. Most of that drop is just water lost. It is also why people often see their muscles shrink while water fasting. Less water looks like smaller muscles.

Day 20, Finland, NFD

I will never understand the way our bodies, and scales work. Yesterday I ended up eating 300g of oreo chocolate for my dinner, and while the scales were of course up today, not by a whole heap. Regardless of this I have come to the realisation if this is ever going to result in decent weight loss, I need to be much more sensible on NFD. I haven’t ever found out what my TDEE is, and I certainly never wanted to count calories, very tedious. But yesterday after my chocolate dinner, I have opened the MyFitnessPal and MapMyFitness apps to my phone. Who knew you could now just scan barcodes with your phone camera instead of manually putting in all the data for Finnish foods that didn’t exist in UK/US memory banks!? Genius! So today I have ditched the toast and jam for porridge and organic 100% fruit juice for a total of 247kcal! Similar cal count but definite fuller feeling. And my TDEE is 1800kcal! Now to revisit the website to figure out the difference between CD and NFD 😉 Onwards and downwards!!

@daffodil2010, @annemarilyn yes it doesn’t really get dark here on midsummer, we have twilight for a couple of hours before the sun rises again. Traditionally we try to stay awake all night, and lots of alcohol is consumed, but this year I have to work on Saturday, so early to bed and sober for me!
    @@strawberriesandcream very much mood is affected by the sunlight, every year I find the winter darkness getting harder, all I want to do is crawl under the blankets until spring arrives. Even lazy people like me feel energized when the sun comes out!
    @anna6 you seem like an amazing one woman gourmet kitchen. I feel very shameful with what I serve to my family, and everyone certainly eats the same thing!

Have a wonderful day everyone! Sun is shining again!

Day 20 – Ireland 🇮🇪 – FD
    3rd of B2B2B

Decided to have a three in a row FD extravaganza as things slooooowly moving along and I am mindful of busy weekend ahead. I had a simple evening meal last night of oat bran porridge with my own rhubarb, loads of raspberries and blueberries, a smudge of nutmeg, ginger and turmeric, and sweetened with organic agave syrup. YUM!

Still slow food in transit so will take a Dr Stuart’s Senna tea at bedtime tonight.

Tomorrow is midsummer and DH is off, so we are going to enjoy a rare midweek dinner together with perhaps some wine. I won’t be staying up until darkness as have to work Friday but it’s good to toast the turning of the year again ☺️

DH tells me that there is still light in the sky when he is driving home from work after midnight. I love the very long twilight at this time of the year. Luckily I don’t suffer from SAD during long dark winters but I feel for those who do.

@Kerry73 your post re midsummer reminded me of a trip we had planned and all but paid for back in 2015 when I had left the big corporate world with a nice redundancy package ☺️ We had planned 3 to 4 weeks travelling on the motorcycle up through Denmark, Finland (visiting Santa in his grotto), spending Midsummer at Nordkaap, then back South through Sweden and Norway. Other issues came along which meant the trip was cancelled BUT once we have that Merceðes van converted into a camper I think that will be the first trip we do.

@anna6. Your recipes make me hungry, they sound so delicious. Hope you have a lovely holiday soon, we spent 5 night in Taormina in 2016 and loved it.

Pocket list day 20 – Let do this
    @daffodil2010

Day 20 – Reading – UK – FD

Hello – I’m back with my tail between my legs. It’s been a few days of comfort eating. My exam was yesterday, and went out to celebrate a pass last night (yeah!) but the scales didn’t think the whole thing was funny. So back to it today (with slightly sore head).

Adding myself to the pocket list. Onwards and downwards.

@daffodil2010
    @ktcaroline

Day 20 Belfast FD

Just quickly checking in. Dogs walked, just off to a new yoga class. I’ve decided to fast today because YS is home from holidays tomorrow and he is taking us out for doggysitting his little pug.

Adding myself to the pocket list. Onwards and downwards.

@daffodil2010
    @ktcaroline
    @debster251

Have a good day my fellow Fasters

Day 20 UK CD

Weird day yesterday. Woke up feeling hungover despite no alcohol and 3 lites water on Monday’s FD. V tired, achy, out of sorts, couldn’t reset head.

Had lunch at long meeting – egg salad, plus fresh fruit and a couple of gf biscuits. My first biscuits in months, and more BC I was captive and tired, the salad had been v small for breaking my fast, and not enough water – just juice. Came home and had some bread and salad and made chocolate rice pudding, all well inside TDEE.

Again woken up feeling hungover and achy, and seriously wondering about water consumption. My old normal was to drink about 2l/day. Over the 7 months of this WOL it’s increased to around 3.5, and still going up. If I don’t drink this I feel dehydrated, irritable, more pain and other symptoms, and I don’t always notice or remember the cause.

Today my skin is doing that slow to elastic thing that it does when dehydrated, despite c. 3 litre water yesterday.

I’ve read lots about water consumption and health, and I’ll put it on the list of things to talk to GP about next month. But I’m also really interested to know others experience. How much water do you drink, has it changed on this WOL and what effect has it had?

Day 20, London, UK, FD (2nd of B2B2B)

I’m on a roll and I don’t want to jinx it by getting too overconfident, but ……………………… my clothes are FALLING off of me even though the scales are still lying!!!!! I must remember this feeling for those times when I want to curl up on the sofa with a bottle of wine and a family sized bar of chocolate!!!!

@ktcaroline, that’s the beauty of this WOL, being able to celebrate, feel minor guilt, then hop straight back onto the wagon without a second thought or chucking the whole thing in after one single not so perfect day!!! Congrats on the pass!!!!

Stay strong everyone, I can’t believe we’re approaching the final week of June already!!!!!

Day 20 – Iceland – NFD

This has been a good week so far, FD on Monday at 300cal, yesterday was a CD and I hope to stay under TDEE today and tomorrow before B2B2B Friday to Sunday. Then holiday! Haven’t figured out my holiday-fasting strategy yet, on the one hand I would really like a vacation from fasting, just relaxing and enjoying pizza and ice cream…😋 on the other hand I keep hearing about potential health benefits of a zero-carb diet, especially with regards to inflammation, so maybe it is time to try it?

@kerryn73 – I too was surprised to see how easy MFP is to use and count calories also when cooking… I have been using almost daily for the past three months and find it very helpful!

Day 20, London UK FD

@flourbaby, how wonderful too be on a roll. Feeling the difference in the way clothes fit is the best! Does B2B2B mean you are doing three fast days in a row? I am in awe!

Weighed myself this morning and was surprised to see I have lost 1kg since starting 5:2 a week ago! That is remarkable, especially as yesterday was a NFD and I had steak frites and rather a lot of Pimms!

We went to the Rolling Stones concert last night and it was incredible. An experience I will never forget! The energy those guys have…phenomenal.

What made it even better is the confidence I felt having lost this 1kg. I wore a dress that I bough a couple of weeks ago which was a bit tight around my chest but it now fits! I had four compliments throughout the day! This WOL has made such a difference to my confidence in such a short space of time. I love being in control on the FDs and feeling the difference in my clothes and in my mindset . And the fact that on NFD I can forget about it (to an extent)!

I previously did the Dukan diet (about 6 years ago) and had great results with it, however I found that I couldn’t sustain it long term. I love carbs, pulses and fruit too much!

Hope everyone is having a good week. Adding myself to the pocket list for today:

Pocket list day 20 – Let’s do this
    @daffodil2010
    @ktcaroline
    @debster251
    @beedoo

Keep going fellow fasters. We can do this, one Fast Day at a time!

Day 20 (already)North Canton FD
    This month is flying by. I head to Jamaica in 3 weeks for our annual vacation and can’t wait. This has been a busyweek so far and it’s not slowing down. Thank God it’s hump day.
    @flourbaby hats off to you. Keep up the good work
    @beedoo I totally understand that self confident feeling, you’ve earned it
    @ktcaroline congrats on acting your exam
    I am posting from my phone which limits the number of posts I can respond to, but keep on keeping on; you’re worth it

Pocket list day 20 – Let’s do this
    @daffodil2010
    @ktcaroline
    @debster251
    @beedoo
    @basyjames

Day 20 – USA – FD

Day 20, UK, FD

Day 20…NSW Australia…NFD

Day 20 UK NFD

Day 19 FD

Sorry I didn’t get chance to check in yesterday I had a really busy day. I hope everyone is well.

Day 20, UK, NFD

Its been hectic last few days, and I didn’t have time to cook, which is never good thing as I end up eating the things I don’t really want to. I have a funny tummy as well. I just need some rest I think, which I will try and get today 🙂

@dykask I’m glad you mentioned it, I too feel higher heartrate while/after FD , I haven’t mesured it but I just feel my heart beating faster, which unnerves me a bit 😓 . I was going to drink more water during my FD and see if that helps but you said that just drinking water doesn’t replace it? I’m not liking this fast heartbeat.

@annemarilyn congrats on your retirement 🎈 , may enjoy it in health 😀

Welcome @nono76 :), its never late to join. Good luck!

@anna6 I’m amazed to read how you cook, and how you cook different dishes for various members of your family, thats really amazing 😍

@ktcaroline congrats on passing your exam! Great news 🎉

@michelinme I haven’t changed my water intake since starting this WOL but I’m thinking maybe I should look into it. I did read in some study that too much water is as bad for us as too little, not sure where I read it now but maybe worth investigating? Hope you feel better 🤗

Have a great day everyone and stay the course 🙂

Day 20 USA (Illinois) CD

Went way over TDEE yesterday with our community theater cast going out for post-rehearsal pizza – treats provided by the director. Oh well, sure tasted terrific. That was more calories in that one day than I have had in ages. Will get it all back on track in the next couple days.

Our show opens Friday night with family coming into town for the show. Excited to have them here!

Onward and downward.

Day 20 London UK FD – second post

HELP! I am really struggling this afternoon. My last couple of fast days have been pretty straightforward but last night was a very late one by the time we got home and to bed. Fasting while sleep deprived and slightly hungover isn’t much fun. I have had a couple of miso soups (totalling 40 cals), other than that it’ been water and herbal teas. Really want to save the rest of my cals for dinner tonight.

@songbirdme the thought of pizza right now is very tempting!

Day 20 – NC, USA – NFD

Trying to get back in the rhythm of things and checking in 🙂

Viewing 50 posts - 601 through 650 (of 938 total)

You must be logged in to reply.