July 2019 – Monthly Challenge

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
July 2019 – Monthly Challenge

This topic contains 617 replies, has 56 voices, and was last updated by  metatauta 4 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 501 through 550 (of 619 total)

• Day 24 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – FD

@lilymartin – I must admit it wasn’t too bad at the tax place yesterday; only a couple of hours. But then I have to go back on Friday. The lady I have to deal with is only there Tuesdays and Fridays. Home Affairs is the worst. I had to renew my passport last year. Horrendous. I was there the whole day. The people behind me in the line had to return the next day to finish up with the cashier.

Yes, interesting times re our world leaders. I’d love to be a fly on the wall when Boris goes to meet the Queen later today.

Here we go with another fast day. Let’s make it a good one! 🍏

Pocket List – Day 24
    @lilymartin
    @funshipfreddie

Day 24 – Ireland 🇮🇪 – NFD

Good FD, finished off with some kefir and cashews and slept right through despite it being one of the warmest humid nights around (no air conditioning, in fact I would say most private homes in Ireland don’t have a/c….certainly would only be used a couple of times a year 😆)

@lilymartin, do you know that a 9C winter morning would be rather pleasant here. I have often seen the young ones walking around in just t-shirts when we hit 14C. Hee hee, it’s really all relative. But the humidity is something else here – damp winter and damp summer – urge

@ciren2 I hope you get through today ok. The a/c in our office packed it in as people had opened windows (see, not used to a/c here!!!) and then with the south facing floor to ceiling Windows and all the computers…..we were melting

@rabbette I am still on a stall despite successful egg fasts earlier in the month. I am on this plateau of + or – 7lbs since last November. Will just jeep on keeping on. I do HIIT at least 4 days a week and am toning but waist size remains rigid.
    Oh and SUPER thanks for the handy storage hints. I will follow that up. Already decided that boxes and bags are needed to keep everything in its place and a place for everything 👍

@funshipfreddie Yes, interesting political times ahead. And the big question is BREXIT for us Irish, is there or is there not going to be a hard border again and the return to troubled times? We all wait in trepidation, as no matter what, a hard Brexit will not be good for Ireland despite support from the EU.

It’s almost my two year anniversary since I started on this forum. I am glad I am still posting, I hope to ignore that “Don’t bother” voice because if I succumb too often I will be back where I was at 78 kilos and an obese BMI. Now I am 60 kilos and normal BMI (but want to lose another 4kilos or so……)

Let’s do it folks. Happy Hump Day

Day 24 UK CD

Avoided late night snacking yesterday and got to bed early – yay! I have DACDS today 😀

Full day & in town for meetings this afternoon but hoping to be more chilled. Despite temp hitting 32C again – & tomorrow is due to be 38C! Definitely the weather for drinking lots of water and not for eating much… We’ve not had the thunderstorms yet – due on Friday

Pleased to hear from my 80 yo mother that she is coping ok. Not trying to get anything much done & turned herself nocturnal – getting up at first light and going to bed before it’s warm again, sleeping/resting thru the heat of the day. Whatever gets you thru….

@lilymartin how lovely to read your long chatty post first thing 🙂 I guess everyone is away or busy over the summer again – it went quiet last year but not quite this quiet! Thanks for asking – foot settling down & hip still acting up, GP ringing with x-ray results Thurs pm.
    @ccco lovely to hear from you. How’s life as grandma? I’ve been veggie since 1990 and mostly vegan since March – and I’m living proof it is quite possible to put on weight as a veggie!
    @daffodil2010 we seem to be in a similar place – I’ve come down from 81kg to 63kg and aiming for 60kg… Tho I know I’ve been a bit too relaxed over the last few months and only had a few good solid 500 FDs. Strangely I was better on holiday despite plenty of treats, possibly bc staying with v healthy friend and external accountability 🙂 How’s your shred going?
    @gretta thinking of you as you travel to spend precious time with your Gran xx

Time is slipping fast… hope you have good days lovely people x

Day 24 – Stratford Upon Avon, UK – FD

B2B2B

Feeling considerably less grumpy today (there’s time yet!!!) although after a muggy, restless night, complete with thunder storms – I might need a power nap at some point today!

Thinking of taking up swimming again, I have been very restricted exercise wise following an injury last year and I need an exercise that is gentle on my neck, arms and shoulders. May help my sleeping and perfect weather for a cool dip too!

@stardustdream – many congratulations! you must be soooo proud of your daughter’s achievement. What a clever girl! Chip off the old block I bet!

@daffodil2010 – I am finding accountability is everything. It help keeps the focus. I don’t have a load of spare time but I find just dipping in and out and posting as often as I can helps enormously.

The hot weather is actually helping me on my FDs – it is just too hot for me and I am finding my appetite for food has dropped (not cider though! I still have an appetite for cider! haha!) Finding it easy to stick to OMD on FDs, usually black coffee and water during the day followed by a salad of some type in the evening. Determined to lose weight this summer, I usually struggle so much with the change of routine, holidays, spontaneous BBQs, lazy hazy summer evenings BUT I am finally learning to enjoy ALL of these things and STILL lose weight – it is such a great feeling!

Happy FD Fasters! Stay cool – it’s HOT out there!

Pocket List – Day 24
    @lilymartin
    @funshipfreddie
    @yo-yo

Day 24 – Reading, UK – CD

Checking in to try to remind myself what I’m supposed to be doing. After a stressful weekend I got a cold, and havent had the energy for fasting. Also, very warm. The fan is making a bit of a difference, but not a lot … Sending strength to all the fasters today. Hopefully I’ll be joining you next week!

The HEAT!
    We are not used to temperatures in the 30s here in the UK. Our sorting office was exactly as I predicted earlier…..sweaty as hell, two inadequate fans and puddles where the skylights had been left open during the massive thunderstorms last night! Outside, delivering the mail was a challenge, to say the least…..four and a half hours in the blazing sun with no respite, terrible humidity…..phew. Air-con in the office and the van is just a mere dream!! I was as prepared as I could be, three bottles of water (all drunk by the end) and a wet cloth…..all kept in the fridge until the last possible moment. What is it they say about not going out between 11am and 3pm?…HA, try telling that to Royal Mail! The mail MUST get through. They say it will be even hotter tomorrow, records will be broken….

Day 24- USA (NE TN)- FD

Firstly, I am so sorry for all who are experiencing such excruciating heat! We’ve actually been a lot cooler here than usual.

Thanks for the congratulations, everyone. It was all HER, I just suggested how she go about studying. And she buckled down and did it. I’m proud of her. I did fairly well, but the resources, especially online, that they have now was not available when I was in high school. Namely, the internet basically barely existed. I don’t think she’ll get enough of a scholarship to go to her school of choice, it’s $30k a year. It’s a good score but not $30,000 good. She’ll probably still end up taking the 2-free-years at the Community college and then transferring but it does look fabulous on the resume for when she does do well in college and applies for transfer and possible merit scholarships there. Though the 4-year state university might offer her something substantial. We’ll see when she applies in a couple months. She took a Digital Media camp at that expensive private college this summer and has contact info from the dept director so she may be able to get help with a Graphic Design scholarship later.

FD today. And being a female is a real pill. Hormones make it so hard to not just eat until you explode. I really want to make a dent in the food pantry. I’ll just sip beverages instead but goodness, my body is insistent on making an effort to make me gain 100lb.

@rabette What a great idea on the boxes. I have a master list I print out and check off for every trip so I never forget anything, as some places are quite out of the way so you can’t just run to the store. But I usually just chuck things in multiple plastic grocery bags and lug them into the camper, but I end up having to search for things. Boxes would certainly tidy things up. Fabulous!

@yo-yo-fletch I hope you do get to swim. Exercise is so helpful for making you feel better. Personally it takes my appetite away. That’s a mercy on FDs.

@ciren2 So sorry about having to deliver in heat. My mother-in-law delivered mail, she just retired. Some days were just MISERY. I hope you get relief soon.

@daffodil2010 Here’s to that 4kg making themselves scarce VERY soon! I’ve been trying to lose 7kg for months and months. I’m finally down to about where you are, needing to lose just over 4.It goes so slow for me. I think snails are going to lap me a couple times before I get there. Boo.

Trying hard to make it today. Whew!
    Pocket List – Day 24
    @lilymartin
    @funshipfreddie
    @yo-yo
    @stardustdream

Day 24, VA, USA, FD B2B2B

Yesterday cooled off to 70s – wow a break from the heat, not to fret tho bc the heat is retiring its getting back up to about 83 today and then hopefully stay just below the 90s the rest of the week.

@lilymartin – cheers! Welcome back and I love the long post – yay! I also LOATH counting calories, but it is helpful and eye opening. The good part on FDs is, ONCE you know how many calories something is, if you make it again, you know that it “fits” your WOL. On NFDs – I’ve developed a little trick (I love to OVER eat my portion!) I have been way more diligent about checking calories and serving size for things like chips/ice cream (stuff I don’t need to eat, but want to eat it) I figure if I’m too lazy to look at the calories and possibly make a BETTER decision about how much to have, then I probably should not have it b/c thats what got me here in the first place dang it!

@ciren2 – oh I hope your office wasn’t sweaty… ugh.

@daffodil2010 – Ah I almost forgot another great storage thing. You know soft over the door shoe organizer things with clear pockets! GET a set or two of those. The pockets are great to put things like Head Lamps in or spray hand sanitizer or extra set of keys… or really anything that you don’t need to keep in your pockets in the van, but need it when you get ready to leave. I actually hang one on our door (obviously you will just need to string it up as the “hooks” that come with it won’t fit a van door. AND Since they are usually too long to just hang up in a van… There are 2 ways you could approach it. 1st you could just cut off the excess row or two that hangs down too far… OR you could do what I did to the last set, I cut them in half, then added my own grommets to the *top of the bottom half I cut off*) so that I had 4 sets (so to speak… b/c of cutting them in 1/2) bc they are too long and the way our van is set up there are not really any spaces to hang these handy things otherwise. (((You could say I am obsessed with pockets))) I have 5 sets of these shoe organizer things up in our van – and when I first did it my SO was like do we really need that many! I was like, mmmmm you’ll see. Needless to say, they also found them SUPER useful Oh hang one up near where you need your kitchen tools, such as forks spoons/any shelf stable condiments salt pepper, catchup, mustard – heck even the jar of Salt & pepper will fit) napkins/hand sanitizer *** I keep 3 hand sanitizes in different places b/c we always need it.

Gonna Make it yes we are!

Pocket List – Day 24
    @lilymartin
    @funshipfreddie
    @yo-yo
    @stardustdream
    @rabbette

Day 25, Aus, FD

Urgh I feel for you @ciren2. It was -5 here over night. On balance, I prefer the sweltering heat.

FD today – I always find the second FD of the week harder. But I went out to dinner last night with some friends and shared a bottle of wine. Just enough to ensure I fell asleep quickly, and not too much that I had disturbed sleep. I feel really refreshed this morning, so cross fingers this keeps my in a positive active mood for the day.

Day 25 pocket list:
    @penz

Day 24 Ohio, US — NFD (62 bites)
    Day 21 — NFD (62 bites)
    Day 22 — MFD
    Day 23 — NFD (61 bites)

Left Sunday to go house hunting and got back last night. I did find a nice townhouse to rent and my application was accepted this evening. It looks as though I’ll be able to start moving in this Saturday. Now I can finalize the moving date with the movers. Fortunately things are falling into place in just the right ways, so it looks as though the move will be accomplished within the next two weeks.

The MFD went amazingly well. I just used protein bars, something that was a little experiment. I think that my regular routine for MFD’s is a little more filling, but the protein did see me through the day. The amazing thing is that I was able to hold to the fasting routine even with the stress of driving around looking at apartments and also with some added stress from the buyers. They finally got around to giving a list of things they want done to the property before closing date, so within 16 days of closing. Some of the items are not in the nature of repairs, but are home improvements. So in addition to apartment hunting I had to make calls and texts negotiating the “repairs” and lining up people to come in and do the repairs. Fortunately things will work out.

Even with eating on the run for the last few days I’ve been able to keep to the eating plan, in contrast with last week. Maybe being able to take some concrete action, other than what seems like interminable packing, helps to offset the stress. I’ll have to catch up reading the posts tomorrow. Right now time to wind up the day. Have a great Thusday all!

Day 25 pocket list:
    @penz
    @matpi

Day 25 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD

A new ATL! 69.1kgs this morning, so just 100g to my goal. I’ll do another FD tomorrow, and then hopefully not blow it over the weekend.

I was just reading about a new sweetener that’s sugar/chemical-free. It’s called ‘Swoon’. Anyone tried it? It’s liquid, and made from monk fruit. I use Splenda/sucralose in tea & coffee. But there seems to be a neverending debate on whether or not artificial sweeteners are safe.

Good luck if you’re fasting today ⚖

Day 25 – Ireland 🇮🇪 – FD

2nd one of the week and going to up my protein today. I had an apple yesterday and could not believe how dang hungry I was after it. Fruit and my blood sugar don’t seem to mix too well sometimes.

Thank you @rabbette for the super hint re shoe bags. We have plenty of height in our van, so a few shoe bags would be a great idea over the cab seats etc. I have been looking also at the IKEA website for their nifty storage boxes and bins, I have taken measurements of all the shelves and drawers we have and plan to go to a Home Store &More tonight to start pickin up things ☺️

@matpi well done on successful MFD whilst going through what is universally known as stressful times…selling a house and moving..great that you have somewhere to stay.

@penz joining you on the wagon today, Thursday is usually a busy pre-weekend wagon ride.

@gretta, I hope you will be joining us on the fasting wagon next week…are you still OK to host August?

I was reading Michael Moseleys Fast 800 last night. While I wont be doing F800 again (felt like a diet to me) it was interesting to read back on some of the research and results for health from this way of eating….so I am buoyed up again.

Onwards we go.

Day 25 Pocket List
    @penz
    @matpi
    @daffodil2010

Day 25 – Adelaide Aus – NFD

Managed a decent FD yesterday surprisingly. Also got out for a walk today along the beach, and so far have managed zero sugar – my aunty has a shocking diet, so it’s been pretty tiresome almost having to justify my healthy choices. Oh well, two days to go, and my health and weight is completely in my control – so I’m going to just try and not get worn down.

@stardustdream a huge congrats to your daughter! You must be so proud of her. Not to mention your hard work home schooling!

@michelinme seconded! I love frozen raspberries with a little plain Greek yoghurt – it has singlehandedly help me not have sugar after dinner, seems to satisfy the sweet/creamy craving.

@ccco good to hear from you! Glad you’ve found your groove with the diet 😊

@lilymartin yes my grandma and I were very close, she’s only 76 so I’m thankful to have had many years to enjoy her company. And glad to have you back! I have no doubt you’ll get back into the rhythm of things in no time.

@ciren2 always battling the elements! Here in aus temperatures often get about 30, sometimes even into the 40’s – but if you’re not used to it it can be very tough (especially if there isn’t adequate cooling!!! Stay well hydrated.

@funshipfreddie congrats on the ATL!! I use stevia sweetener, it’s the only one that is both FODMAP friendly, and seems to be given the ok from nutritionists. I’ve heard monkfruit is ok too, though I’m not sure it’s low FODMAP.

@daffodil2010 I’ve noticed since starting 5:2 that fruit eaten on their own cases massive blood sugar spikes (and crashes, followed by hunger) for me.

Day 25 – Reading, UK – CD

Warm here in Reading, but thinking of @ciren2 out in this heat. Drink lots, and go slower. By all accounts it’s going to be pretty warm today. Salad for lunch today methings. Onwards and downwards fasters!

Day 25 – Stratford Upon Avon, UK – FD
    Day 26 – CD
    Day 27 – NFD
    Day 28 – NFD

B2B2B2B

Last FD of the week! Feeling pretty happy that I’ve managed to stick to my plan for the month – although long term I’m not sure I could sustain it. I’ll go with it for now and see how I do. It has certainly helped me take a step back and think about when, what and how much I eat. My desire for sweet things has lessened also – which is good! Although I will always be a Carb Fiend, need to learn to control that beast too.

Won’t be checking in again now till Mon so have a good weekend folks! Enjoy this glorious weather while it lasts!
    And…
    Happy FD Fasters!

Day 25 Pocket List
    @penz
    @matpi
    @daffodil2010
    @yo-yo

Day 25 Wales 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 FD

Loving this summer weather….lots of water and salad today 😎

Day 25 Pocket List
    @penz
    @matpi
    @daffodil2010
    @yo-yo
    @missybear

Onwards 😊

Day 25 Melb Aust NFD

The last few days have NOT been FDs, despite my best intentions – hope you continue to do better, @yo-yo Fletch, but I didn’t make it. However, yesterday and today, for the first time in nearly a month, I felt “normal”, so I think I’m finally over flu and the post-viral exhaustion. Even the asthma is settling down, whew!

@yo-yo fletch, I think it’s actually easier to have FDs when it’s hot, as you’re more thirsty and not as hungry. Here it’s mid-winter, and I feel like I’m in a holding pattern until the weather warms up again.

@rabbette, agree with you – I see the doc tomorrow, and definitely will try to be avoiding Lipitor. Met someone on Tuesday who had to take it for a while, and his descriptions of his joint pains, etc., did not inspire me, as I already have problems there.

@daffodil2010, yeah, not as many posters, but definitely better to post, for accountability. I’ve been posting less often as I’ve been ill, but it hasn’t been as good for my discipline in eating. I will try to be more diligent from now on. As @lilymartin also stresses, the factor of accountability is so important!

@stardustdream, congrats on your daughter’s wonderful exam results. I hope she’s able to receive a good scholarship.

@ccco, great that the ovo-lacto-vegetarian diet is working so well for you.

@penz, yes, exercise accountability is also a good thing, which is why I have my Fitbit HR3 – I make sure I meet my goals every day.

@ciren2, @michelinme & @daffodil2010, my sympathies re the heat. It’s horrible when it’s both hot AND humid. Very uncomfortable.

@ciren2, one handy hint as you have to be out and about in it – try soaking a men’s handkerchief in cool or cold water and tie it around your neck like a bandanna, refreshing the water as it dries out. I used to do that when I played tennis (years ago) in 35-40 degree days, and it really helped in keeping me cooler, as it keeps the head cooler. It may be something that helps.

@gretta, hope you have some wonderful quality time with your grandmother while you’re in Adelaide.

@matpi, great that you’ve found a suitable apartment. I was surprised that you have to do the renovations for the buyers on the place you’ve sold. Here, once buyers sign the contract, anything needing to be done is their business, not the seller’s, unless something is specified in the sales contract – i.e., subject to sale if X is done. Otherwise, it’s the buyers’ problem.

@FUNSHIP FREDDIE, I think government departments are the same the world over!

Okay, now I’m better, reset!

Day 25 USA (Illinois) FD

Doing well, but certain if I don’t watch it, I’ll start to gain. Not good.

@stardustdream – so happy for your daughter and you! I know you’re doubly proud due to her being home-schooled. I teach piano to H/S children in our area, and they are wonderfully accountable to duties of studies and piano. (I love it as they can have lessons during the day rather than late afternoon or evenings! Makes this retired music teacher happy.) I know you will pursue all the avenues for scholarships, grants, and assistance. Yeah for you all!

Going to join the pocket list today:
    Day 25 Pocket List
    @penz
    @matpi
    @daffodil2010
    @yo-yo
    @missybear
    @songbirdme

Onward and downward.

Day 25: Gloucestershire, UK, NFD:

Phew….SO HOT…I just don’t know what to do with myself. The two fans we’ve got at home don’t make a lot of difference, just blow the stiflingly hot air around!
    At work…it was a real challenge…truly AWFUL. Well into the 30s (pretty rare in this country) the office with it’s flat roof heats up like a storage heater. We have just two inadequate fans, and no windows to speak of…just skylights….all wide open, to little effect.
    @rabbette…SWEATY doesn’t begin to describe it!
    The vans reached 39C with the windows open, out on delivery!
    But, @betsylee: what a great tip…..I shall try the wet cloth round the neck, for sure. Thanks.
    People did offer water, and I asked if I could run my head under their tap (more than once, I did this today)….the customers were great about it!
    Meanwhile, who said that hot weather dulled their appetite?….if only..

Day 25, VA, USA, CD

Today WAS going to be a FD, but I opted to make a homemade pasta salad for my sweetheart to take to work the next day, and well I made the thing so good that I had some too. Its all I had for lunch and I was glad to have only ate a reasonable portion. (Portions are something I am VERY much working on.) So in a way I consider it a successful day even if it did not end up an FD. I’ll eat my borscht soup tonight and that will round out the day nicely. Even if Mr. Particular (my scale) isn’t feeling up to ticking the numbers down.

I can’t believe I am excited over the weather dropping below 90f (32c) after being 100f (37.7c) last week I’ll take it! Give me the 80s and I won’t complain. Whew.

@daffodil2010 – That is a heck of a plateau. I get a little antsy if I’ve plateaued for 3-4 weeks. Which I’m in one right now… I find for me it is MOST likely the cocktails on the weekend. I think my body just doesn’t know what to do with the extra sugar from drinks. And I have even paused my stouts! (I barely know who I am without my stouts haha) I usually drink a seltzer and vodka. So I may have to buckle down my FDs and make them WFD to get things moving in the direction that I want on the scale.

@michelinme – I’d be nocturnal in this heat if I could be… oh my gosh! Good for you hitting the hay before snacking.

@yo-yo_Fletch – Good for you! I Love the OMAD on FDs even on NFDs, if there is a dinner to attend I will wait. Its been a good reminder that I am actually NOT always as hungry as I think I am.

@ciren2 – My friend from across the pond told me it was hitting up in the 30s and I thought wow that is hot there, since it may be a bit like upstate NY here, where folks don’t have AC, b/c it usually doesn’t stay hot.

@stardustdream – Oh my if you love my boxes suggestion look for the post I did yesterday to @daffodil2010 with the shoe organizer things you usually put over the door. You will wonder how you lived life without them. My sweetheart is 6’ tall and if the smalllllll van gets disorganized they feel so cramped they just can’t think, let alone get ready. We go to festivals so there is always a Day Time clothes and Night Time clothes. Because you adventure out AWAY from your camp, being organized has saved many frustrations and/or (hangry) moments. B/c trying to find all your cooking things and then pull that out and the stuff to cook can be one heck of a challenge *you will know if you were meant to be together if you can make it thought that!*

@penz – oh my gosh I will share some heat, if you share some cool! -5 ay… I’m guessing that means about 23f. I hate to say I’d love some 23f here although if it did it right now I think my body would go into shock considering yesterday we had 1 day it dropped to 70f (21c) and I felt like I had to have the heated seat on in my car!

Got to go teach!
    Stay strong fasters!

Day 26, Aus, NFD

Good FD yesterday. My OH asked “are you eating today?” which I think puts a better spin on things rather than asking “are you fasting today?”

I heard on the radio this morning that if the rest of July continues as it has, this will be the warmest Canberra winter on record with an average temperature of 13.4 degrees C. I certainly remember one week years ago when it literally did not get above 0. Compared to that, this season has been positively balmy.

Stay cool – and kewl – to all those in the northern hemisphere.

Have a great weekend everyone.

@penz – loved “My OH asked ‘are you eating today?’ which I think puts a better spin on things rather than asking “are you fasting today?'” When I would be with young granddaughters, they said the same thing. In other words, “Grandma, are you eating what you’re cooking for us?”

Day 26 country West Australia CD
    yesterday’s FD was somewhat ho hum… as in a NFD BUT eating SOOOO much better.
    Not overeating, more salad and water.
    Drinking water is SO important for me. Fills me up BUT in this cold weather ( 3C) it does lead to very efficient kidneys!!
    @penz brrr -5C sounds freezing ( well below freezing actually! ) I can’t cope with that sort of cold although it wasn’t too bad when we were skiing in Austria many years ago. It IS all relative.
    I really feel for those of you suffering in the heat. It is hard to imagine being hot when I am huddled over the heater ( no AC in our house ) and shivering.
    @Rabette I am intrigued by your shoe pocket organising suggestions. We are off camping up north where it will be considerably hotter than here and just in a utility so those pockets sound just the thing.
    @matpi so pleased that you have found somewhere to move to – good luck with the move.
    @funshipfreddie congratulations on your new ATL – well done!
    @yo Yo Fletch have you tried Pilates for your neck/ shoulders? The exercises can be very gentle and are usually fairly simple BUT not easy.
    @kt Caroline, many years ago when I lived in England I stayed in a lovely little village called Wraysbury and we used to go shopping in Reading. I seem to remember there was some historic monument thereabouts ?? the place they signed the Magna Carta??
    Many fond memories of that area.
    Another day, another dollar.
    Hey ho hey ho it’s off to work I go. ( any news on where @bert1802 has gone?)
    Have a fab Friday.☃️☁️🆒

Day 25 Ohio, US — MFD

The MFD has gone well, even with all the busy activity. Most of the day was spent with repair people and the telephone making arrangements with utilities, etc. As an upshot, very little packing got done. Fortunately only 30 more boxes to go!

@lilymartin and @penz Thanks for mentioning the cooler weather. I felt cooler just reading about your posts!

@rabbette Pasta salad is definitely a perennial summertime favorite. I once went to a picnic-potluck about this time of the year and everyone brought different pasta salads. So we had a tasting party of 26 pasta salads and that was it. Not even a single dessert!

Enjoy the day, everyone!

Day 26 – South Australia -FD
    I’ve never attempted an FD on a Friday. I’ll see how I go. Post-holiday I am trying to get back on track for my July goal so I am alternating NFDs and FDs but I will give myself a break for the weekend. Only five more days to go until the end of July.
    BTW, I am not actually a Winsome Waif. If I was, I wouldn’t be here. Winsome is my DD’s name and I liked the alliteration with Waif. Plus, the Waifs are an Australian band I heard live for the first, and only, time at the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival many years ago: fond memories of a warm and sunny day to sustain me through a dreary winter FD.

@matpi – was your pasta potluck planned that way or happenstance? I absolutely love potlucks, salad suppers, etc.

Day 26: Gloucestershire, UK, NFD:

Well, as I woke up I could feel a welcome change in the temperature….it’s about 10 degrees lower!! What a relief.
    Yesterday, delivering the post was horrendous, not only the heat, but the humidity. The dustmen had it even harder, it was the bin-emptying day in the town….running around (as they do) fully clad from head to foot in hi-viz plastic and GLOVES! How it didn’t kill them, I’ll never know….
    Anyway, must go. We just need to cool down the sorting office now….which will take a few days.
    See you all later xx

Day 26 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – FD

Drat; I was doing so well on my NFD; until a neighbour brought me treats again. Chicken vetkoek and an amazing chocolate & vanilla dessert. At least she didn’t bring it on a FD. Vetkoek is a traditional Afrikaner fried dough bread, and literally means ‘fat cake’. You can use it with a savoury or sweet filling. I’m sure you’ll gain weight just by looking at it 🤨

@gretta – I did try Stevia ages ago & didn’t like it. Maybe I should give it another shot. I’d have to buy that Swoon on-line & it’s very expensive.

Big re-set today. Good to hear it’s finally getting cooler in the UK! ☔

Pocket List – Day 26
    @winsome
    @funshipfreddie

Day 26 – Ireland 🇮🇪 – NFD

Whew, those of you in the UK and Europe really got it hard yesterday with that heat, breaking records. At times like this I am so glad I live in a little island at the very edge of the Atlantic as it kept us relatively cool yesterday (25c) but the humidity was awful.

Heat and cold is relative though. A -5c day in Ireland would be brutal precisely because of the damp air from the Atlantic…its bone chilling. I spent a year working in the Bavarian Alps when I left college and it would often get to -18c, but, the air was so dry that it was actually lovely to be out, wrapped up, sun bouncing off the snow.

Hope everyone gets through the various troubled weather they are having.

@ciren2 great to hear the temp has dropped for you. Those poor bin men though 😨
    @betsylee….wow, you actually played tennis in 35-40c heat. Just WOW…..I can barely stand in those temps 😆
    @rabbette I will certainly be using your storage tips. We are off to Spain for three weeks in September so first proper trip abroad to try things out. And there is also talk, between myself and DH, to head off for a year and do proper VanLife travel…the dream may well come true…….🤔
    @funshipfreddie you have rocked the July Challenge with reaching first goal then ATL. Well done.
    @songbirdme you teach piano too? You are also rocking your retirement! My granny was a piano teacher, all the kids around my area went to her for lessons when I was growing up. She also taught us too, however although I can play a little now I kind of lost it. We still have the piano in Dads house ☺️

By the way, this is my 2nd Anniversary of 5:2. And this day two years ago I was 165lbs s and a waist of 42 inches 😱😱😱😱. Today I am 137lbs (battling a 10lb gain from last year) with a 30 inch waist (Apple shape body)……so. It’s good to look back at those statistics and realise the health benefits that surely must have taken place. 👍

Great to see a busy forum as we head for the last weekend of August. Let’s make it a good one (says I looking forward to my wine tonight ….oooops 🍷😄). You guys are a great bunch, it’s great to know you all.

Have a good Friday.

Day 26 Wales 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 NFD

Weight this morning a little below goal so maintenance going well 🙂

I began my 5:2 journey with participation in these monthly challenges in July 2017 weighing 159 pounds. I have been maintaining at goal +/- a few pounds since May 2018. There are times when life’s stresses or celebrations have resulted in the need to sit down firmly on the Reset button, but mostly 5:2 WOE is natural for me now….and honestly I no longer feel it is a challenge. Advice for anyone struggling is to be patient, don’t expect quick results, don’t be too extreme you won’t be able to maintain it and you need to make 5:2 easy, sustainable and enjoyable.

I’ve been a good girl this week with 2 good FDs and 2 careful NFDs so I am looking forward to planned treats 🍷🥂over the weekend.

Happy Friday everyone 😎

Day 26 Melb Aust CD

Hi all, glad to hear the heat is settling somewhat in the Europe/ U.S. area. Hope you have all successfully survived, and not been derailed from your FDs, etc.

@daffodil2010, I played district tennis in my late teens to early twenties, and we played on Saturday afternoons whatever the weather. The only time we didn’t play was if we were rained out. So, whether the temperature was 25 degrees, 30, 35 or 40 we played, and yes, we played many times when the temperature was in the high 30s. That was usual. Of course, that was back in the 60s and early 70s, so a consequence of the lack of sunscreen available in those days has been several skin cancers removed over the years. But, we all survived the heat itself. Oh to be young again! 🙂

Saw the doctor today and managed to brush off my slightly elevated cholesterol – to be tested again in 3 months, and I’d better eat better until then. He was actually far more concerned about my right knee MRI – I’d told him my knee was a problem but I don’t think he really realised how much of a problem it really was. Result – immediately referred to an orthopaedic specialist. However, not necessarily to have surgery, first to get an opinion.

From today, will be eating more mindfully. I have a few treats around, but will space them out so there are no excessive NFDs, and let’s hope I will maintain the slight loss shown so far this month.

Onward and downwards everyone, and try to keep to your TDEEs over the weekend!

Day 26 USA (Illinois) NFD

Yesterday’s FD went well – I’m loving 6:1 in maintenance. But still have to be very judicious with how I treat myself on NFD’s. Today might be one of those DAFD’s where I must watch it.

@daffodil2010 — congratulations on your 2 years! ♫♪♫♪ (singing a happy song!) Yes, I actually started teaching piano while still in high school to young neighbor children. It’s a terrific vocation while the kids are still at home. Now, it is just because I can help young parents.

@missybear — you have 2 years too! What great progress you have made! Congrats!

Onward and downward.

Day 26- CD- Atlanta, ga -USA

@daffodil2010: Two years and successfully maintaining (more or less)…that’s brilliant!
    @missybear: Same for you….as you say it has to be sustainable in the long-term and not too drastic. Well done to you.
    I SO admire everyone who’s managed to reach goal AND MAINTAIN in the long-term.
    Me? I reached goal but only maintained in the short-term and have never managed to get back to 5:2……sigh!
    @songbirdme: I had piano lessons from the age of 8 until I gave up at 14. My teacher was not patient and quite negative, sadly. I got to Grade 5 (confounding her expectations that I would fail that one) and she didn’t want to teach me any more. I continued to play without further lessons for many years, but can no longer do so because of arthritis in my wrists. I also have no piano!

Day 26, VA, USA, FD

I’m very proud of my choices yesterday, for my CD almost went out the window when my SO suggested Chinese Take out! however, it was decided *thank goodness* we didn’t feel like calling/waiting/going to get it and instead we had my leftover borscht (which I deep down wanted to suggest from the beginning) I dressed it up a bit for my SO and added a spicy sausage to theirs and to mine, I cut up a jalapeño and put that in mine. OH the spice was delightful!

Friday FDs are always a challenge b/c of well the start of the weekend and fabulous cocktails. I love making a good stiff drink * my other life I’m sure I’m a bartender *
    None the less I’ll be happy if I just end up a CD for today. I must accept that I tend to botch my Fridays FDs a little.

@ciren2 – hoping the drop in temps are still happening. (Theres no such thing as global warming right?)

@daffodil2010 – oh my gosh a year road trip! Oh yes you are going to need all the storage hacks and tricks! A Master list is also helpful as @stardustdream mentioned. We also make a master list. And when we take our van, we take it to the dessert, so there are no hook-ups that means no fridge. So I have food/camping ideas for that too. But if you have hook-ups you won’t need to fret with best way to package things for a cooler.

@matpi – whaaaaat! 26 different pasta salads! Where to begin, I guess 1 bite of each. I love it, thats a GREAT idea for a garden party get together.

@lilymartin – I LOVE the shoe organizer bags. They are essential now (as if they were their own shelves) They are also great b/c stuff won’t slide/fall while the van is moving. So you can store it and know it will be in there.

@penz – I love that my SO works with me with eating and fasting days. It is so helpful to be supported. They usually ask the same way… “are you eating today? Or eating this meal?”

@funshipfreddie – can I just say WOW! I’ve lived in my neighborhood about 3 years now and don’t really know our neighbors, both my SO and myself are a bit shy. Maybe I should have one of those pasta salad pot lucks (oh the calories from all the pasta!) AND then I’ll get to know someone with amazing chocolate vanilla desserts. Hummmm come to think of it, I might be that person. I make amazing VEGAN Lavender Ganache, and Chocolate Orange Ganache, and Mint Ganache (and all the colors are made with a fruit or veggie that is finely grated) such as the Orange Ganache actually has a cup of finely grated carrot in it. So you get your veggies too. Thats not to say that if you ate the whole thing in one go that you won’t see those numbers on the scale move. But you can have a reasonable piece and not pay the piper too much. Haha

@missybear – thank you for the reminder that it takes time to get to goal and not to be too unreasonable or it will be less sustainable.

@betsylee – yay good job at the Dr and eating habits. Hopefully the knee gets some much kneed-ed attention. Hope that little play on words was ok. I’m just so full of them.

@songbirdme – 6:1 maintenance! That is soooo awesome! You keep me inspired – hugs!

Pocket List – Day 26
    @Winsome Waif
    @funshipfreddie
    @rabbette

Fingers crossed and lips sealed! Till tonight and enjoy my meal!

Day 26 Ohio, US — NFD (62 bites)

The NFD has gone well. Most of the day was spent on the phone making arrangements associated with the move. My system is feeling poorly today, probably caused by something I ate while on the road. So only got a little packing done.

@betsylee Around here the contracts for sale of houses are contingent for the most part. The buyers pay for a home inspection and then often present a list of minor repairs to be completed before closing.

@songbirdme No one coordinated with anyone else beforehand about what dishes to bring to the affair. Usually this turns out well with a nice variety of salads, main dishes, sides, and desserts. Not this time, though. We all had a good laugh when it became apparent that we all had inadvertently created a rather large pasta salad smorgasbord.

@rabbette One of the things I’m looking forward to when I move is real Chinese Take Out. There are only two Chinese restaurants with 20 miles and they both leave a lot to be desired.

Here’s a link to a recent article about time-restricted fasting:
    https://www.today.com/health/how-lose-weight-intermittent-fasting-eating-earlier-day-t159415

Have a great weekend!

Day 27 country West Australia FD is to become a NFD
    was going to have a Saturday FD as we are going away tomorrow for a few days but we have just been invited out to a friend’s ‘ Christmas in July’ so methinks 3 courses including ham, turkey, roast veggies AND plum pudding, brandy sauce and cream plus a wine or 3 will not come within a bull’s roar of under …..let’s say….. about 3000 calories!!!!!!
    Much walking to be done in the coming few days.
    @ BetsyLee, tennis in all kinds of weather is such an Aussie thing. We didn’t even seem to notice the heat – yes! oh to be young again
    @daffodil2010 and @missybear 😇😇 – alas my halo is somewhere around my ankles , but a work in progress…
    @WinsomeWaif – great name! – we love the Waifs. They have some great songs but ‘Bridal Train’ always makes me cry. To think of all those young women going off to America to see their husbands whom they often hadn’t seen for months/ years during the war and often with bubs their husbands hadn’t ever seen, to a new land and way of life and leaving their families and everything they’d known – whew! tugs my heart strings very time.
    @ciren2 – you are SUCH a trooper. Delivering the mail in all sorts of weather. Well done you. As to not doing 5:2 , well you are here posting and supporting others so I think you are doing 5:2 in your own way.
    The wagon is always here – and thank goodness for that wagon and fellow wagoneers. If not for all of you I would STILL be eating in a very undisciplined fashion. But thanks to this lovely group I am firmly back on the wagon, albeit that it may have a large list down on the corner I am currently occupying but I promise you all that the wagon will be more level sooner rather than later – Christmas dinners notwithstanding!
    @matpi I absolutely ADORE carbs, hence my doing 5:2 ( amongst other reasons).26 different Pasta salads sound divine.
    @daffodil2010, just re-read your post. A waist loss of 12 inches is HUGE!!!! Really well done. Guessing those ‘ big girls’ pants’ would well and truly be around your ankles if you were still wearing them!!😇
    Just heard that the Tour de France had to be stopped last night due to extremely hot weather followed by a freak hail storm.
    What IS the weather doing??
    Here I am still almost on top of the heater and not wanting to go hang out my washing because it is SO cold outside.
    Have a wonderful weekend all.
    Onward and downward.

Recently read a saying at a friend’s house which I really like ( nothing at all to do with 5:2 but hey…)
    Holding a grudge is like drinking poison – and expecting the other person to die.
    🧤

Day 26 – USA – FD

Third FD this month…..still hula hooping, working a lot, maintaining well under 140, daily reading all the posts for motivation.

Day 27: Gloucestershire, UK, NFD:

Quick call-in before work, as usual, I’ll catch up later.
    @metatauta: Just have to say, you’re doing great, maintaining….AND hula-hooping. I’d most likely do myself an injury…ha…ha!!

See you later xx

Day 27 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD

@missybear & @daffodil2010 – congratulations on your 5:2 anniversaries! It’s so inspirational to read stories like yours. Proof that this WOE works and is sustainable.

@rabbette – I must confess I’d never even heard that word ‘Ganache’ before. So I Googled it; and now I’m ravenous. 😳 Sounds divine.

Wishing everyone a good weekend!

Temperatures back to normal summer ones now, thank goodness!
    Finished work until Monday, we DO wish each other a “good weekend”….but it’s not really….more a day and a bit.
    Walked the dog in the parkland on the edge of town….they lock the gates at five, so a bit of time-pressure there! We did once get locked in (a different part of the park) together with our car….Luckily, we drove around and found a lodge-gate two miles out which we’d heard, is never locked. We escaped!
    DH is truly suffering with his knee, so (again) we can no longer walk together. He’s awaiting a doctors’ appointment and the results of an x-ray. However, a torn cartilage will most likely not show up. More time wasted going through the motions while he is in bad pain and can’t walk.
    I also still have my upper-hamstring/buttock/hip pain to contend with…..fortunately it doesn’t stop me walking, but sitting, stair-climbing and driving……ow..ow. So I too need a diagnosis, (even treatment!) having also been fobbed off in past weeks.

Hope you are all having a good weekend.

Day 27 USA (Illinois) NFD

Yesterday a bit over TDEE (it was that wine with lunch…) but scale still kind this morning.

All is well.
    Onward and downward.

Day 27 Ohio, US — NFD (62 bites)

The NFD went well. Started the transition to the new abode. Some friends helped me ferry items to the new apartment. The only surprise was something I should have anticipated. When I toured their model apartment, it was newly refurbished and never lived in. My apartment probably was refurbished 6 years ago, so does have a lived in feel. On the other hand there are so many pluses that I think I’ll be quite happy there. I returned to my house this evening, but was too tired to do any packing. Well, tomorrow is another day!

@ciren2 There are quite a few people walking dogs in my new neighborhood and I briefly day-dreamed about doing the same. But it still is too early for me to exit the grieving stage yet. Moving out of this house will probably help since there won’t be so many reminders.

@lilymartin Your “Christmas is July” celebration sounds like great fun! That plum pudding must be wonderful, but more wonderful still is being with friends. Have a great trip!

Day 28 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD

Happy S🌞nday to everyone 🌈

Day 28: Gloucestershire, UK, NFD:
    Bright and breezy morning….lovely and fresh.
    DH and I both in pain though….first thing is the worst, and contemplating the stairs! I’m hoping mine will walk off after a bit.
    @matpi: I feel for you. One day the time will be right, and you’ll be chosen by another little dog who needs you xx

Day 28 – Ireland 🇮🇪 – NFD

Extremely busy weekend, minding Grandaughter then helping DH install solar panels on the roof of the camper van. I have read all posts but no time to respond yet, I plan to pop back in this evening when DH has gone to work and I am relaxing on a sunny Sunday evening ☺️

Day 28 Melb Aust, NFD
    Day 27 NFD

Have had a relaxing weekend, no fasting but no real excesses, so back to usual FDs during the week.

@lilymartin, yes, we never seemed to care if the temperature was so high, just lots of water and other tricks to stay a bit cooler.

@rabbette, loved your play on words. Will find out on Tuesday what the knee verdict is.

@ciren2, I sympathise with your OH’s knee problem. I ended up paying $318AUD for the MRI I had (ordered by my GP), as that’s what best shows the knee structure. I could have waited and had the test ordered by the specialist, and then as a pensioner it would have been free. The government has made a silly rule now that there is no rebate of money for anyone over 50 (I think, might be 45) who has a knee MRI unless it is ordered by an authorised list of orthopaedic surgeons. As I was hoping the MRI would just be a baseline for possible later action, I did it via the GPs referral and paid for it myself. Normal XRays don’t show the knee structure very well.

@matpi, interesting re the house buying/ selling rules. Sounds safer than here in Australia where you don’t really know what you could be getting. Most people would not arrange for a house inspection before buying. On the other hand, we don’t have many really old houses either.

Yay and well done to the maintainers, and to those who have maybe reached partway and are “resting” for a while. I’ve been thinking that’s not a bad idea, as it may reduce problems with loose skin. I am getting a bit tired of being on this plateau, though, but really only have myself to blame. I’ve been enjoying being this weight – but it’s time to move on and down. It will be easier as the weather begins to warm up again.

Keep on keeping on everyone!

@betsylee: We too can get an MRI privately for a similar cost (not refundable) but we still have to go through the GPs first to get a referral. SO annoying, because the GPs are not very helpful, in our experience…..and that’s after waiting more than two weeks for an appointment! Even if we get the MRI, there’s no guarantee they’ll act on the results. So both DH and I feel depressed about being in pain all the time. Just living on painkillers.

Day 28
    Florida
    NFD
    Well, I must be on the gaining side. Another pound. However, my excuse is with the roller coaster ride these past few months with my health issues, it could have been worse. I had my last test done and will be seeing the doctor in a couple of weeks. My results are already posted and from the way I read it, looks like all is good. 🙂 Have a couple of questions for the doctor but I think I’m okay. Definitely feeling much better about things.
    Got a bike and been riding. Still building up confidence in riding but am enjoying it. So maybe with the extra exercise and continuing walking, I can get rid of some weight.
    Hope all have a great week.

Day 29 – Melbourne Aus – FD (maybe)

Sadly this morning I got the news that my grandma has passed, she was very ready for this ordeal is over, and I’m so grateful that we were able to grant her wishes to stay at home and not be in any pain.

Weighed in yesterday, and I’ve hit goal (weight was 68.9kg, so only just). I’m going to try for a FD today, but I’m just going to see how I go. Might just aim for a couple of CD’s this week.

I know my body, if I lax on the FD’s then my weight will jump back up, but all good.

Have a few posts to catch up on, will try come back a bit later on.
    Thanks for everyone’s kind words and support over the past few months, it’s been a real comfort x

Viewing 50 posts - 501 through 550 (of 619 total)

You must be logged in to reply.