July 2017 31 Day Challenge

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
July 2017 31 Day Challenge

This topic contains 1,994 replies, has 126 voices, and was last updated by  Chitown Gal 6 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1,401 through 1,450 (of 1,996 total)

• Day 21 – Woking, UK – NFD
    248.2lbs
    Good gym workout yesterday but the one thing I can guarantee the day after a lifting session is that I’ll be at least 2lbs heavier. Apparently it’s water which is helping in the muscle repair. Certainly feel like I need it, yesterday was a treadmill interval challenge upping the incline every 15 seconds for 4 minutes followed by Smith machine squats and bench press. I found out I can press 40kg (88lbs) so now need to work on improving that. That was my first time out on the bench press, normally do dumbbell presses with a pair of 10kgs. Feels like I’m not losing too much muscle which is good.

I hope everyone has a good day. Aiming for a bit of a more controlled NFD here today as I’d like to be back closer to cementing that 245lbs.

Day 21 | Sydney, Australia | FD

Today is my 3rd fasting day for the week.

I had brussels sprouts (which I love) and papaya (ditto) for an early lunch. I would choose that lunch over fish and chips or a burger even if I wasn’t trying to lose weight.

Hit the gym at lunch time, ran 9.2 km on the treadmill in 60 minutes then did a few sets of light weights.

A bowl of miso soup early afternoon.

Then a big serve of really good pumpkin soup later in the afternoon. It was from Aldi supermarket, almost as good as home made too.

I’m up to 450 very enjoyable calories for the day so far.

I might cook up some brussels sprouts when I get home, have a couple of glasses of water, and call it a night.

Day 1, UK, FD

Day 21 Belfast FD

Congrats Sirisan
    @Strawberriesand cream fingers crossed for your dad’s house purchase.  My YS is waiting for his funds to be released.  The money was due last week but he had a hiccup with the vendor signing.  Hence we are hanging around Co Wicklow.  However if it’s not sorted by this weekend we’ll have to go home and return when he gets the keys -not ideal but can’t be helped.
    Welcome back Rocy65
    @Saffron420 I’m a big fan of Bernard Cornwall too.   The series on TV was great. I’m a great lover of historical drama and reckon I was born a couple of hundred years too late although I would probably been born poor! Have a great cruise.
    Adding myself to the list. Will aim for 800 cals today and any less will be a bonus

Day 21 pocket list.
    @rahul1905
    @lynzm
    @dykask
    @debster251
    Cheerio for now

3rd post
    Thanks @steve toontaxidriver . English language variations are so interesting so please don’t take offence. i loved pease pudding and faggotts. Can you still buy them. I haven’t eaten them since the 1970’s.

English variation: what Onehealthyhigh calls a faggot is a duck to me. We can get them in Gloucestershire as long as I remember that here they are faggots.

Day 21 Australia NFD sorry but I have not had a chance to catch up with the overnight posts; I hope everyone is well. Weigh in day and I have lost between 500kgs and 1kg. My scales are useless!

@penguin wow that’s new to me. I’m talking about liver dumplings.

Day 21 UK NFD

Stressful few days and weight loss stalled but maintaining successfully so that is ok. Have been using the tracker for six months now, it has helped so much having that satisfying confirmation of my progress. I am tempted to print out a screen shot and frame it!

Onehealthyhigh. Yes, those. Mostly I’ve eaten them cold on bread. The name is, I guess, a regional thing – probably makes sense to Steve, Toon taxi driver.

Added Steve back into the list.

@Stevetoontaxidriver
    @rahul1905
    @lynzm
    @dykask
    @debster251

I’m hanging in there and will probably okay now. My workout clearly added some edginess to my fast. However as I type this my hunger is fading and generally so I should make it another 4 hours until bed time. Thankfully I no longer seem to have any issues sleeping while fasting.

I’m going to miss a couple of fasts in Aug. because of travel. However I may do a multi-day fast late in the month. Just thinking about it as I have to kind of prep myself to do it. After I’m past the second day I’ll probably be good, but I’ve had a rough time with the second days of fasts.

@penguin what I think of as faggots were not necessarily liver, but certainly offal, but my brother used to love them warm with gravy.

Day 21, Belfast, NFD

Where is this month going?!! I’m sure I’m way off my July target, but with holidays and family get-togethers a few fasting days get abandoned. However, as long as I am able to stick to 5:2 most of the time, it should be all good.

@Strawberriesandcream – no booze for me either last night.
    And very sorry to hear about your friend’s news too.

@coda – you’re doing an amazing job of lending support to everyone on this forum. I’ve only been signed up for a few months, but I can already see the encouragement that you and lots of others offer. I’m sure your sugar-hit is a temporary blip, as I’m defo sure we’ve all been there 😉

Good luck everyone today. Have a good one.

Day 21……Florida…..FD

I’m so glad today is Friday. It seems as if the week was never going to end!
    So, the other day, I got some rather good news, I will be getting another raise in pay; but I didn’t say anything until this morning because they are making me wait until today after work to find out. Not out of meanness but because we do have a few things to discuss.
    First being the owner wants to semi retire, so they are looking for someone to upgrade in their duties, and I need more help in my department. I work in a small mom and pop business, so being that we are so small, we all pick up and do what ever needs to be done. Confession, there is only 5 of us in total. 2 owner, 3 full times and one part timer. So, when it comes to little changes such in up grade of duties or hiring another person, it becomes a whole community affair.
    The way I look at it, in the over all picture is, tell me what you want done and I’ll do it.
    Okay, enough about that……

Another FD for me, the snack dragon did a number on me last night but stayed well within my TDEE, today, will be a solid FD as I’m having my broccoli for lunch and trout for dinner tonight! Weigh in tomorrow, hoping the mean ole’ scale will be nice.

Word of advice. I forgot to write the name down so please forgive me, it was either @stevetoon, @dykask or maybe someone else. Please be careful on your fruit intake, all though fruit is extermely healthy, if eaten in vast amounts it can have an adverse effect on weight loss. Just like everything else, I believe moderation is the key.

Okay, well I’m off

At any given time the urge to sing the lion sleeps tonight is just a whim away, a whim away, a whim away!

Day 21, South Wales, NFD
    Good luck fasters over the weekend!
    Here’s an inspiring article too about fasting, weight loss and health benefits (with apologies if you’ve seen it before)…
    http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/02/five-day-fasting-diet-could-fight-disease-slow-aging

Day 21, Hampshire, UK – NFD

Another crazy hectic week in the office, i’m filling in for 5 people on holiday so life is tough, I didnt even get a chance to post on here yesterday:

Day 20 – NFD

So I have decided to continue on a 5:2 this week as we have a special meal with the family tonight, I have been stable this week at 69.8kgs – not loosing/not gaining….I dont know what I need to do to get the kgs to shift again, will try and keep on eye on my eating on the NFD from next week, I wonder if I am over eating..probably!

Have a lovely weekend everyone, I’ll post back here on Monday 🙂

Day 21 UK NFD Have been relatively good all week so my challenge now is to not reverse all that effort over the weekend so aiming for control, must admit to looking forward to a drink down on the seafront when I meet my hubby after work .

Day 21 – NFD

Had FD yesterday, and unlike Monday’s it was hard! Someone had brought in donuts for the office but I looked up how many calories they contain (ouch!) and read the forum and those methods helped me resist. A successful day despite the hunger and temptations.

I therefore feel I “deserve” my homemade pizza and red wine night tonight – thinking of all you fellow booze-hounds out there!

I’m on holidays next week which I suspect will make having 2 FDs a challenge. Or an impossibility. Thus I think I’ll try for a week of restricted time eating and see if that helps.

I don’t think I’ll make my 5kg loss goal this month. 🙁

Thanks for all your posts – I enjoy reading them and I share in your successes and challenges.

Day 21 Massachusetts USA FD SO important to shop ahead of my FD for nutrient rich/calorie poor foods. It’s still working for me to eat nothing between breakfast and dinner. I’ve never been an evening snacker and that’s a blessing. Today is all about work around the house (and maybe a swim). I’m sure I’ll feel hungry fo awhile but we’ve all learned that we survive that. I had a (measured) 1/4 cup of granola heaped with chopped apples and 2 tbsps of yogurt to start the day. It’s a gorgeous day here in the mountains after prodigious rain! Carry on all.

Day 21 FD
    @Liathenail The inflammation/water retention the day after intense exercise is something my body does all the time, especially when it’s hot. I know it’s the way exercise works, I know it happens to me, and it still frustrates me! But I do use it as a marker for if I have pushed it too far, which is helpful. I find that turmeric helps as a natural way to less the inflammatory response.

I was entering my weight today and seeing the solid plateau that I am on, but also acknowledging that I feel really healthy right now. Thinking about the difference between setting a goal that is a number as compared to setting a goal that is an overall feeling of physical health. A thought I carry into this weekend …

Day 21 USA (Illinois) – NFD

Yesterday’s FD went very well. About 600 calories and scale says 157.8# this morning.

@at -you’re right that FD’s do give more energy. Also, it allows a little more latitude with calories on NFD’s. I really enjoy a big, hearty breakfast on the day following FD.

@penz – I will join you and other “pocket winos” with a glass of red tonight. My latest fave is an Aussie shiraz called “19 Crimes” that is just delicious. Penfolds is also very good, but a little more pricey.

Onward and downward!

Day 21 FD UK – OXFORD. My 3rd Fasting day this week. Doing ok.

I’m going to weigh myself tomorrow to see how I’m doing. Was 14.9 (205 pounds) at start of this month and I wanted to lose 2.

But I don’t know how great its been tbh, I’ve had my fasting days yes, but last weekend for eg I binge ate which was terrible, so …….

We’ll see, thats partly why I want to check in tomorrow to see where I’m at.

Tbh if I’m still at 14,9 I think I’ll have to take that. But 14,8 would be lovely.

Wish me luck if you can spare it. Peace out.

Day 21, Rocky Mountains, US, NFD

I am at the high end of my maintenance allowance. Better start to be a bit more mindful. No sweets yesterday but Mexican food after our hike. I think the combination of muscle repair and too salty food account for my weight gain today. Today we will hike to Dog Lake with the puppy. Not so many snakes there but we have to watch out for moose.

Have a good Friday everyone!😊😊😊

Day 21-22-23, Emden Germany, NFD

Day 21 NFD North Wales

What a wet, wet, wet day. It is pouring down here. 🌧🌧🌧🌧. Curry 🍛 and wine 🍷 night tonight. I am not going to eat as much as I did last Friday.

Few more days at home before going to my daughter’s again. She is hopefully moving 🏠 next week if all goes to plan. The moving date has changed several times so it is all very stressful.

Hope all of you have a fab weekend. X

Day 21 Chicago, Illinois USA – FD

Day 21, Wales UK, NFD

Good fast day yesterday. No idea if I’m losing weight as I pushed the scales under a chest of drawers over a week ago as I was getting disheartened by the ups and downs so I won’t retrieve them until 1st August for the official end of challenge weigh in.

The weekend starts tonight so my fellow booze hounds, cheers, looking forward to enjoying a glass of red to celebrate having been good all week.

Happy Friday x

@redrockgirl302 – our daughter said she was on a hike in your area with an out-of-town friend and saw moose!

Day 21 – USA – FD

@lynzm, great tip, thank you! @Big_Viking, 5.5kg per month is nothing to sneeze at! @Stevetoon, ever try low-carb/keto bread? I bet your wife would like it too, as she is on WW. @Brighton_Belle, hang in there! @Strawberriesandcream, way to go on your commitment! My father-in-law closed on the sale of his house the same day your dad did on his house purchase. @liathanail, was the Dexa expensive, if you don’t mind me asking? @rocy65, welcome back!

Day 21 – UAE – NFD (78kg, 1.2kg down from last week)
    Day 20 – UAE – FD
    Day 19 – UAE – NFD
    Day 16 – UAE – NFD
    Day 18 – UAE – NFD
    Day 17 – UAE – FD
    Day 16 – UAE – FD

it seems to be ages since I last posted.

Thank you my global friends for all the greetings about the birth of my daughter Jana. She is still tiny and doing well. Thanks @dykask for sharing the info about your daughter born at similar weight and that she picked up the weight and now soon to be taller than her father…

Weigh-in day today, 78kg, down 1.2kg from last week 🙂 and still under my maintenance weight.

A few pages of posting to catch up with…

2nd post
    @metatauta The one off scan with a consultation to go through the results was £143.10, normally £159 but I had a discount voucher. They are cheaper if you get it without a consultation (£125), or as a series.

I went to Bodyscan in London – http://www.bodyscanuk.com/ they do various discounts and giveaways a lot of the time so worth checking.

I can check if I can get you a discount referral code if anyone is interested.

Extra post – went to dinner with friends. Tried a little of everything at a new Greek restaurant so a very tasty dinner but not too many calories. Stuck to my alcohol-free beer and was ready to call it a night after the dinner. Unfortunately everyone else was drinking and wanted to go to the club for a “traveller”. I was very tired by the time we left at midnight but now that I am in bed and have had my chamomile tea I am wide awake!

Day 21 NFD St. Louis USA

@taraga Congratulations on the birth of your daughter. I didn’t see your original post. I hope you are both doing well.

@coda. I agree with others who posted here what a wonderful job you are doing to motivate and inspire us. Thank you.

Yesterday was my first day doing maintenance and well I stayed with in limits it felt weird not to be fasting. I still plan to fast two days a week as someone else said they are doing. I’m a little anxious about this and not sure when I’m going to pop back on the scale. I don’t want the scale to affect my mood or attitude. As others have mentioned, I also feel healthier and stronger and my clothes fit and look better on me. Interestingly enough I haven’t lost much in inches even though I’ve lost 2 pounds. I suspect I’m voicing something that others have experienced when they get to this place. It’s one of the reasons I plan to continue to monitor and to stay on this site.

I was a little shocked reading comments about faggots. Here in the US, that is a derogatory term for homosexuals. It sounds as if they were talking about ducks. It reminded me of how our language, even if speaking English, varies. When I was at a B&B in Ireland, I had just got off the plane and ask the lady at the B&B where I could toss a hard-boiled egg. I wanted to throw it away as I was concerned it might be spoiled. She looked at me rather strangely and someone told me later that that is a term that might be used for a sexual encounter. I wonder how many relationships go poorly because people don’t understand one another.

Have a great weekend everyone and, as always hats off to those weekend fasters.

All my best to all of you

Thought I’d put up a recipe for faggots
    110g (4 oz) fatty pork shoulder, roughly chopped
    110g (4 oz) pig’s liver, roughly chopped
    250g (8oz) fatty belly pork, roughly chopped
    110g (4 oz) bacon scraps
    110g (4 oz) bread crumbs
    1 medium onion, finely chopped
    1/2 teaspoon mace
    1 teaspoon allspice
    2 tablespoon chopped parsley
    2 sage leaves, finely chopped
    1 small red chilli, de-seeded and finely chopped
    Salt and Pepper
    Caul fat* or streaky bacon.

Just in case it offends anyone. Some local butchers still sell them.

2d post
    @stevetoontaxidriver. Oh my! That certainly is a recipe.

Day 21, Gozo Malta, nfd

Sirisan is right, I have a brother living in New York with his wife and American born children and he says faggots is another name for homosexuals.

I’m at the hospital again with my almost one year old grandson. He is better but still sick.

Next week is the start of our thirteen day cruise from Malta to Malta and my separating daughter and her one year old son move over to the island of Malta from our home in Gozo. She feels she’s ready to stay on her own.

Have a great Friday everyone, onwards and downwards.

@songbirdme, your post made me laugh! I’m a displaced Aussie in Florida and recently “found” the 19 Crimes plonk. I hadn’t come across it back home, but it’s a regular tipple in our household. Tonight I’ll raise my glass to you!

With all the talk about bread and its various incarnations, dare I raise the spectre of vanilla slice?

Day 21: Gloucestershire, UK: NFD.

Day 21 – USA – FD

@Stevetoon, your recipe sounds like a perfect ketogenic/low carb meal! Plenty of high fat/low carb/moderate protein in it!

Speaking of the word “faggot”, I agree that it’s a derogatory term in the US, but when I lived in Ireland in the 70s, the shortened term “fag” meant a cigarette!

Faggot has the derogatory meaning in parts of England and fag is also a cigarette or gasper in this country.

Steve, the faggots/ducks we can get here don’t taste quite right so I’m going to try making your recipe.

Hello day 21 FD Co Down NI

Still catching up lol looks like a page and half now but wanted to say to hello to Rocy65 – you have been added to the spread sheet so feel free to add anything you want, welcome back and there is always room here. @sirisan you have been highlighted!!! and have joined the highlighted members club for maintainers – Well done.

So far so good – love the quotes recently – meant for me.

@Lithanail – staying in a Travelodge Woking Central – thanks for the tips especially the food lol. Will be making our way to Putney, London maybe on Sunday or Monday to see where number 3 lives until he moves to Norwich at the end of August.

Take care all x

Day21 UK NFD

Had a nice couple of days in Winchester, the weathers been fine. The drive down was horrendous, took about 5 hours but then we went for a walk and ended up doing over 4 miles and actually ate less than 1000 calories. It wasn’t intentional, just the way the day panned out.

Probably no more posts from me till next weekend, we try to do no mobiles or wifi when on holidays.

Good luck to everyone for the rest of the month, how did we get to day 21 so soon.

Day 21 – Cumbria UK – FD

A lovely low level fell walk in the drizzly rain 🌧 this morning with my usual group – coffee and catch up with the runners afterwards!

Hair cut and colour this afternoon and the sun came out briefly ⛅️

Today will be a liquid FD (tea with a dash of skimmed milk, fruit tea and water) with some calories coming from a glass of homemade Kefir this evening before bed!

@steffieagle – enjoy those bright summer dresses 💃
    @awilson – very motivated to go for your B2B straight on return home, hope yesterday’s FD went well and will be holding on to your hand today for your 2nd FD whilst on my FD!
    @onahealthyhigh – hope all is good with the blood tests and that you enjoyed your breakfast
    @anna6 – good to hear that Alexander is improving although slowly
    @coda – you are doing it! slow but sure does it – keep the faith and stay positive 🤗 Enjoy your trip and the wedding celebrations and seeing son No. 3 x
    @xrox – hope your crazy work schedule eases off soon
    @penz – great job resisting the donuts yesterday – enjoy the pizza and red wine tonight 🍷🍕
    @songbirdme – I will have to look out for your Aussie shiraz called “19 Crimes” – I do love a good shiraz too!!!
    @taraga – 1.2kg disappeared in one week 👍 and good to hear that Jana is doing well
    @sirisan – don’t be anxious – I’m in my 8th month of maintenance and still fast 2 days each week, but no longer count calories strictly on NFD and I weigh myself after my 2nd FD of the week! OR you could use a pair of well fitting trousers as your measure instead of weighing – You have done all the hard work already but staying in maintenance does mean staying vigilant!!

I have enjoyed reading the posts this evening – it’s helped me stay away from the kitchen and temptation – I am strong enough to see this FD out with giving in to temptation 😇I am going to hold out having my Kefir drink until around 8pm and as there is not much on TV tonight it will be early to bed with my book I suspect!

Day 21 pocket list – I have added anyone who said they are doing a FD as TOGETHER WE ARE STRONGER
    @rahul1905
    @lynzm
    @dykask
    @steve-toon-taxi-driver
    @mogaman
    @coda
    @msraven
    @big_bill
    @bigviking
    @debster251
    @bert1802
    @krisnia
    @sal47
    @chitown-gal
    @metatauta
    @at

“SAY IT OUT LOUD:
    Today I will do my best!
    Today, I will try my best to make choices that are healthy and make me feel good.
    Today I’ll work on my goal!”

Day 22/NFD/Melbourne Australia

Enjoyed a glass or two of wine with a bowl of homemade pea and ham soup. @songbirdme Australian Shirazs are very good aren’t they. I’ll have a look but I don’t think I can buy ’19 Crimes’ here. They badge exports differently. Penfolds are very good though and very pricey here too. No more wine for me till next weekend. Sobs.

@steve toon taxi driver thanks for the recipe. I last ate them in Manchester with pease pudding. An interesting word with all its different meanings and connotations. Faggot is also a bunch of firewood. I used it once in front of a group of adolescent boys. It took a lot of convincing and a dictionary to convince them I wasn’t being derogatory.

@penz your reference to vanilla slices made me smile. I’ve been looking forward -craving really – to eating one all week. I’m not a sweet lover but vanilla slices … Happily my husband and I always share one. The annual vanilla slice judging competition is being held this month and I’ll be passed through a country town famous for it’s winning slices. I’ll also be having a meat pie. Another Aussie treat.

Back to 5:2ing. I’ve been having trouble shaking off a couple of kgs gained over the last couple of months. It’s suddenly dawned on me I’m on a plateau. A bit of a shock really as I’ve never been on one. My tracker shows a very steady downward progression until recent months. I’ve read everyones stories of plateauing. Now I’ll be re-reading them for inspiration. I’m not sure what has changed but I’m definitely on one and need to jump off. On a positive note. I’m still below goal and the upward trend has stopped.

Have a great and mindful weekend.

2nd post
    Thanks @at. The blood tests took ages. Another reminder to stay well hydrated when fasting. It took a long time and several trials to find a vein. Fortunately a very kindly and careful nurse so not too traumatic. Definitely need to up my fluids. May help to whoosh away the plateau!

@onahealthyhigh – my Aussie Words With Friends friend said he found 19 Crimes there. He’s up in QLD. At first he couldn’t find it either. You’ll join us next weekend.

I first was served it at a restaurant in Utah (Red Rock Brewing Company) as the only shiraz they serve. Then found it in the local liquor store, and even in my home grocery that has a pretty good selection of wines. When buying it there, I have recommended it to other tipplers.

@penz – the word “plonk” was new to me! I LOVE learning new words (and cultural interpretations of words) from this group!

Here’s to all Friday night pocket winos! 🍷

Day 20, Guildford UK, NFD

Struggling I confess

Piece of birthday cake today

Not my birthday someone elses

@taraga congratulations, much delight in your news

Day 21 – SW WA USA – NFD

Still on vacation. Making it a 16:8. Nice to get a compliment re looking like I’d lost more weight since last visit. Think I’ve been on a plateau in actuality. Trying to make wise choices.

Getting a little summer reading in along with many of you.

Together we are stronger, @strawberriesandcream no matter what our friends or loved ones are going through.

Day 21 UK FD

Tucked up in bed with a cup of tea safely away from the kitchen! A successful FD before a very sociable and I’m sure wine, and food filled weekend visiting family and friends! Heading for the final push before the end of this month’s challenge. Have to say I’ve been kept on track purely by keeping up with all the inspirational posts! So thanks to this amazing group!
    I think it was @strawberriesandcream who posted a link to a dress site?? Just to say I ordered a dress and am very happy with it, so thanks for that! And they have a sale on just now….

Viewing 50 posts - 1,401 through 1,450 (of 1,996 total)

You must be logged in to reply.