January: new year, new resolutions. Join this great group!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
January: new year, new resolutions. Join this great group!

This topic contains 708 replies, has 45 voices, and was last updated by  Flaquita 4 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 101 through 150 (of 709 total)

• Day 3 – Cumbria UK – FD

Good morning all,
    Well the scales dipped this morning, 1 lb, which after all the seasonal feasting and the last party on Sunday night puts me back to 4 lbs over my lightest!
    Weird way of saying I put a few pounds on after Christmas, but have managed to lose some of the gain in 4 days 🙂
    So as usual, enthusiasm and bloody mindedness, throwing in another FD, mainly because I’m feeling good, so rather than have my ‘day off’ (feast) day today, going to make the most of enthusiasm and momentum! That and the weather is good and dry, so there’s a new (long) walk I want to try.

My way of doing things is count/write down calories, even if its only an estimation (don’t underestimate though, you’re only kidding yourself) my Basic Metabolic Rate is 1921 calories, (I actually ignore my TDEE figure, it tempts me into eating a bit more) so always try to keep under my BMR.
    My usual ‘MOAM’ (Man on a mission) walks burn around 800 calories, so hoping today will be somewhere around 1200 calories burned.

I’m sort of joining those on a dry January inasmuch as I’m cutting right back on wine, despite having some beauties stashed away, I’m limiting myself to a maximum of one evening a week … or less, I know my weakness so keep my targets attainable!

@daffodil2010 … Nice to see a downward ‘bounce’ for you, weird how things happen with our bodies. Some weeks you thing you’ve done well and nothing happens or even a gain, then ‘bad week this week’ but drop a pound or two! Almost seems like no logic to it all.

@funshipfreddie … Hope you enjoyed your seasons festivities, won’t take you long to get back to this WOL, if you’re anything like me I was looking forward to getting back to FD’s.

Todays pocket list

@Ihatelettuce

Blimey, that was long winded for me 🙂
    Right, Off for a march
    Take care all

Day 3 Oxfordshire, UK NFD
    Good morning
    We’ll yesterday’s CFD turned into a proper FD as the shopping for a new TV crossed lunchtime and ran into late afternoon. DH took a sandwich but I decided to ’embrace the fast’.
    I’m so glad I did because the scales are my friend this morning. Don’t want to jinx things though.
    Not really sure how today will go as I’m off to visit my mum. She doesn’t understand how fasting works and is always trying to feed me biscuits 😞
    I’m also going to visit my niece and her new baby. So looking forward to that.
    Have a good day.

Day 3 – NFD – Ireland
    Janudry 🚫
    Have been struck down with a really sore throat and cold this week but hopefully it will pass… taking lots of paracetamol etc.
    NYE was quiet here but very sweet with my mum and dad and my man…. we decided not to bring them to the bigger family gathering as they are just not able for that mayhem but it was lovely and a few of our gang staggered calling in to them throughout the evening.💕
    I don’t know what this year will bring for me… I am prepared for a sad one just because of dad’s diagnosis and mums deteriorating state of mind… but…who knows… they are both with us (and together) and that’s the most important right now 💕2019 was rather a crappy year for me in many ways so am going to practice more self care/love/time out this year etc so that I’m In the best place possible to deal with anything that comes my way…. 💪

@basyjames you are on a roll with FDs!
    Well done to @daffodil2010, @ihatelettuce and @caroline esty-akporokah who have started a downward trend already and @brightonbelle for getting to the gym…
    great post @lilymartin 👍
    Onward and downward ⬇️
    We rise by lifting others 💕

Day 3 UK FD

Hello everyone

First time trying a fast day and been to the gym for the first time this year. So far so good! 🤞

Have a good Friday 😄

Day 3 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – FD

My first FD of the month/year/decade!

Welcome to all the newbies! I’m just one of many 5:2-ers that proves 5:2/IF – whatever you want to call it – works! Once you’ve done a few tweaks, and gotten into a routine, figured out what works for you, and accepted that it has to be a WOL rather than a temporary fix, there’s no looking back.

I briefly went through a rollercoaster of emotions after waking up this morning. Realizing I was back home, & then remembering I’d promised myself that I would fast, urgh! So then I decided to brave getting on the scales instead of waiting until tomorrow; half-hoping the battery would be dead. And I’m only two kilos above my upper limit! I was absolutely gobsmacked (that’s British for ‘utterly astounded’). While I was away I did plenty of walking, but also plenty of drinking. I kind of stuck to a TRE pattern of maybe 14/10; but only because I just can’t face food first thing in the morning. I never once had the ‘free breakfast’, much to the disgust of the guesthouse owner. I like to try different places, & usually had my first of two meals around 10 or 11am. I never once counted a calorie or ate a salad. But anyway, I plan on doing ADF for a few days, just until my fasting muscle has been flexed a little.

@i-hate-lettuce – yes, I enjoyed the festivities, too much! My liver, at least, is glad it’s over. Another reason I can’t believe I gained so little weight; I must have averaged at least a bottle of wine per day! I’m certainly not complaining; but it doesn’t make sense… 🤔

@binklebonk – (great name!) some people find exercising on FDs intensifies their hunger; but for me it doesn’t make any difference. Exercising on an empty stomach, what’s known as ‘fasted cardio’ is said to lead to higher levels of fat loss; the theory being that your body feeds on stored fat & carbs instead of food you’ve recently eaten. But you don’t have to run a marathon. Even a good long walk would be beneficial.

@at – I saw the new Cats movie recently too. Yes, ‘bizarre’ is the only way to describe it. It’s the CGI, ie computer-generated imagery. It’s just too distracting. You can’t help but spend most of the movie trying to figure out what’s ‘real’ and what isn’t. It’s an amazing cast, the choreography was good; but it would have been so much better if they’d just worn regular cat costumes as they do in the stage production.

Any other Friday fasters…?

Pocket List – Day 3 🍏
    @funshipfreddie

Day 3- Atlanta, Ga- USA -FD

Back at work today for me!! I enjoyed the time off with family and friends. Gotta get back into the routine again. It’s amazing how a little time off can totally throw off your sleeping pattern. Time for me to start turning in a bit earlier. Here’s to a fresh start!!

Day 3 Melb Aust TDEE

Hi everyone, I’ve put myself onto the spreadsheet in red now, thanks for setting it up @at, and @songbirdme for hosting us.

For me, it’s time for a new start. I’m a 70-yr-old female retiree, former med lab scientist then ESL teacher, single, in a household run by Wilbur, my ginger tabby, who still thinks he’s a tomcat and acts like it, too 🙂 I started 5:2 December 2018, went quite well for a while and lost 13 kgs. Have now regained about 8 of those in the past few months, due to a combination of personal stress and gross over-indulgence (partly as a stress response!), and am now reining in the sugar dragon and getting back on the wagon. Family are visiting from the States in June and I’d like to be considerably lighter by then. My dream is for a loss of 26 kg, but realistically, would settle for anything over 13 kg.

So, new year, new start, and on we go again.

Day 3 – UK – NFD

Hi there. I got through yesterday’s FD with not too much bother and didn’t eat anything today until after I got home from work at lunchtime. My NFD’s are always the worst for me as once I start eating I have trouble stopping! I’m going to allow myself a little of what I fancy today though and back to having a sensible day again tomorrow 🙂

I’m planning on my first day back at the gym for months tomorrow and will try to keep to 2 or 3 times a week if I can.

Hope everyone else is doing ok

Karen

Day 3 UK NFD

Well second post today to say on my first ever NFD I seem to have loads of energy from somewhere! 😄

Day 3 1200 calorie day

Great to see so many old friends, and looking forward to getting to know the ones im a bit unfamiliar with.

@funshipfreddie great news! Boggles the mind but who cares? Welcome back.

@binklebonk I exercise almost every morning and always in a fasted state, it was much more difficult for me when I started this wol, but my body’s used to it now and ijust can’t imagine exercising after eating.

I stepped on the scale this morning and the numbers were not in my favour, it appears that I’ve gained a pound after 2 fd in a row combined with 4 mile jogs and intense strength training regimens. I know that is not the case, stuff is happening on the inside that I’m not aware of and one day in the near future my hardwork and restraint will show up on the scale.

That is why mentally this has to be a WOL and not a quick fix. Even when the scales do not report it, fasting is good for you, above and beyond what the scale reports. Looking forward to my whoosh but in the meantime, I’ll keep the faith and stick to the plan.

To combat the effects of menopause and build some muscle, I signed up for a 6 week spartan workout program. It’s intense but doable.

Happy fasting y’all!

@caroline-esty-akporokah: Three pounds down in less than a week….great stuff. Your name is SOOO long, I had to keep checking I was spelling it right! How did you decide on it?
    @lilymartin: I love the “health professional who should know better” bit!

Pocket List – Day 3 🍏

@i-hate-lettuce
    @Christy-B
    @funshipfreddie
    @therealwil78

I’m going to try a new easier way to start back on 5:2 (after so many failings). Twice a week, on Mondays and Thursdays…..just go to work with no breakfast and see how long I can go without eating. No pressure, I can eat my “coming home from work meal as usual. It would be after 2pm and therefore getting on for twenty four hours with no food. I could graduate to a full, proper fast-day once I’ve mastered the twice-weekly OMAD. (One meal a day)
    I did that yesterday, so next one is Monday.

Day 3 – Cork, IE – FD

Well done @cristyb on the gym and on the FD!

@karen250463 I am the same once I start eating, it’s like revving up the cookie monster 🙂 Good luck with the gym tomorrow.

@funshipfreddie thanks for the motivation for sticking to IF, particularly re the TRE which is something that I feel will work for me.

I need to organise myself over the weekend for my lunches when I am back in the office next week. I was back for 2 days this week but as it was a fairly flexible schedule , I popped home instead however that’s not sustainable going forward.

Happy Friday everyone and hope you’re all looking forward to the weekend 😀

USA Day 3 FD

Adding myself to the pocket list today!

Pocket List – Day 3 🍏

@i-hate-lettuce
    @Christy-B
    @funshipfreddie
    @therealwil78
    @ccco

Welcome, Flaquita from Cork! Although I am in the US. now, my family is also from Cork. Most of my relatives are still there, although a few live in London!

Hope everyone is having a great day!

My CD of yesterday was just okay… but scale didn’t say so this morning, so managing a FD today.

Pocket List – Day 3 🍏

@i-hate-lettuce
    @christyb
    @funshipfreddie
    @therealwil78
    @songbirdme

@ciren2 – I am quite a linguaphile, and so appreciate what I have learned (learnt!) from this forum. We Americans also have some things we say that are unlike you Brits.
    @daffodil2010 – We all realize you know how to lost that 20 pounds. Like I have said, maintenance is very demanding too!
    @brightonbelle – your classes sound good but “the lurgy” does not! I also had Silver Sneakers and yoga this morning. Tired now doing that on a FD.
    @i-hate-lettuce – I have heard people say we ought to calculate our TDEE on our goal weight, but I’ve gone with what MFP has give me. Even still, you are wise to not go overboard on NFD’s.
    @funshipfreddie – how interesting that all your imbibing didn’t net you weight gain. Yeah for that – lucky you! 🙂
    @therealwil78 – yes, daily routines can often leave us settled and satisfied.
    @betsylee – good to see you back with us. You can do it, we know.
    @karen250463 – those of us who have been on this regimen for a while know very well that NFD’s are ever so difficult. We agree.
    @basyjames – exercise after eating too much is awful, but after just a little food, it isn’t too bad for me.

Onward and downward.

Day 3 Canada NFD

I tend to stay off the scales as they bounce around quite a lot but weigh myself today as my clothes all seemed to be fitting nicely. I am at my pre-Christmas weight which is unbelievable!!! There was lots of wine, and delicious food over the holidays but I tried to control portions and used 16:8 whenever I could.

Posting everyday in December and having a plan really helped, being part of this forum is the best!

Congrats on such a great start @caroline-esty-akporokah
    @karen250463 stopping eating is a skill I am trying to master.
    @binklebonk I also like to exercise and now I have been fasting for a while I find that I can go for a long ski or walk and feel fine. I do usually have an apple or banana within 20 minutes and that helps
    @basyjames your whoosh will come, those scales can be misleading

@bellyblast
    @ciren2
    @jaifaim
    @matpi
    @songbirdme
    Thank you for your warm welcome, kind words and support.
    Sorry my name is so long and complicated, it’s my real name nothing left out nor made up! Sorry but I was so eager to join i never thought about a simple user name and just wanted to get in… I have tried to change it but I can’t.

If anyone knows how to change my name please help!

I am so blessed to be here and grateful for this site.

Thank you all and looking forward to weigh in tomorrow and my FD!
    Have a good evening all x

Day 3 USA (Illinois) FD

My CD of yesterday was just okay… but scale didn’t say so this morning, so managing a FD today.

Pocket List – Day 3 🍏

@i-hate-lettuce
    @christyb
    @funshipfreddie
    @therealwil78
    @songbirdme

@ciren2 – I am quite a linguaphile, and so appreciate what I have learned (learnt!) from this forum. We Americans also have some things we say that are unlike you Brits.
    @daffodil2010 – We all realize you know how to lost that 20 pounds. Like I have said, maintenance is very demanding too!
    @brightonbelle – your classes sound good but “the lurgy” does not! I also had Silver Sneakers and yoga this morning. Tired now doing that on a FD.
    @i-hate-lettuce – I have heard people say we ought to calculate our TDEE on our goal weight, but I’ve gone with what MFP has give me. Even still, you are wise to not go overboard on NFD’s.
    @funshipfreddie – how interesting that all your imbibing didn’t net you weight gain. Yeah for that – lucky you! 🙂
    @therealwil78 – yes, daily routines can often leave us settled and satisfied.
    @betsylee – good to see you back with us. You can do it, we know.
    @karen250463 – those of us who have been on this regimen for a while know very well that NFD’s are ever so difficult. We agree.
    @basyjames – exercise after eating too much is awful, but after just a little food, it isn’t too bad for me.

Onward and downward.

Day 3, London, UK, NFD

Whoops, forgot to post this morning, so it’s a late one today.

DRY-JANUARIANS LIST
    @flourbaby
    @karen250463
    @basyjames
    @jaifaim
    @bellyblast
    @i-hate-lettuce (Honorary member)

Way to go @basyjames, you are NOT a bin!!! I hate throwing good food away, but in reality, should I force myself to eat it and gain an extra inch on my ar*e or simply throw it in the bin and just …..get …… OVER ……. it???? ……………………. The Bin it is!!! I’ve also chosen to simply avoid that minefield, I need to strengthen that willpower muscle so avoiding temptation is my January plan, keeping it simple!!!

Welcome @angrypony, no need to apologise, reading posts keeps me out of the kitchen, so the longer the better!!!

@caroline esty-akporokah congratulations!!! When you stick to it, it works ………………….. simple & such a revelation!!!!

@daffodil2010, I don’t know what’s going on, maybe that 5:2 3-year itch I mentioned before, but I’m 17lbs up on my ATL (which admittedly, I only saw fleetingly!!) and 10lbs up on this time last year. I’m not losing faith because it’s not rocket science ……………… I DID THIS TO MYSELF …………………. Complacency doesn’t mix with red wine, crisps, chocolate or bread!! I think we’re in a place best described by something I read elsewhere – “several years of 5:2 have persuaded me that losing weight is not difficult, so I got too casual. Time to start again!” All I can say is …………………. “Let’s DO This!!!”

@lilymartin, we’ve got you!! 5:2 success for 2020 it is!!

Aaahh, @shinything …………………….. the re-emergence of ‘Club Tortwah’ ………………….. unfortunately my tortoise has been shuffling backwards!!! …………………….. As if she wasn’t bloomin’ slow enough going forwards!!!!

@penz, are you out there lurking? I hope you and our other Aussie members are staying safe, thinking of you guys. xxx

Onward & downwards folks!!!

USA Day 3 FD

Good fast today! Glad it’s over! Haha! We seem to have multiple pocket lists today with different people on each!! LOL

For all the Australians on this site, I wish everyone the best. The national and international news over here has been following all those fires you are having Stay safe!

Day 3 Oregon NFD
    I did make 16/8 today. An emotional day there was a (nice)surprise visit from some out of town cousins, then I had to see my mom off for her hours long bus ride back to where she lives. She has MS and has had a tough year, so watching her struggle with ambulation is hard for me, but her positive attitude is inspiring. Working this afternoon so sadly no time for the gym. I did eat one left over holiday chocolate:/

@songbirdme: A bit embarrassingly, my nickname is the result of a red wine soaked weekend in the wine country of Walla Walla, Washington with a group of friends. We saw some ponies in a field and I mentioned that I had a pony growing up who was kind of cranky. He liked to try to scrape me out of the saddle on low tree branches, or by running into the barn. This group of friends also love the show Seinfeld and it also has pony references…and so my nickname was born:)

Second post

@angrypony love the story behind your name

@caroline esty-akporokah no need to fret, we will get used to it, just copy and paste

@flourbaby you are so right, we are not bins! Years ago, my youngest daughter (who was 7 at the time) said to me “mom you’re not a trash can, so stop eating junk” what a revelation. I also think you’re right about the mindset that sets in after a few years of this WOL, complacency sets in.

Successful nfd today because this has become a complacency-free zone. I have got to fit comfortably in my clothes and I’m going to win this fight!!

See y’all on day 4

Day 3 Ohio, US — MFD

The fasting has gone well, but this evening I feel really wiped out. Even though I didn’t have that much holiday fare, maybe this is a detox from what I did have. In any case it looks to be an early evening.

@angrypony I lived for a couple of decades in Oregon and I really love the region and the people. If it only it’s not become so expensive to live there now!

@basyjames and @flourbaby One thing I’ve started to do in recent times is to bin food that could cause me to go off track. (Maybe I picked that up from you, @flourbaby?) So yesterday I tossed the remainder of the holiday goodies. It’s hard for me to “waste” food like that, but it’s even harder to see it pile up on my waist. As they say “Bin there, dun that!”

Have a great weekend!

Day 3 – NZ – NFD
    I’m not sure how much to trust the scales – I expect I will just need to track my weight over time and see how all this is going.
    But I weighed myself this morning and I was 0.4kg down on yesterday. Then, after a cup of tea and a shower, I weighed myself again and was 1.2kg heavier!
    How did that happen? I didn’t drink a kilo of tea!
    I haven’t really done the 5:2 properly yet, so I will just give it another go next week – aiming to fast Monday and Thursday.
    Although my BF is due back from sea on Monday so that might all go to pot….

oh, and thanks for the tips re exercise! I didn’t see them earlier, because my puter decided to throw all my forum posts in the spam folder all of a sudden.
    Interesting re burning more fat while exercising before eating. I’ll see how that goes – I am not sure how exercise will work for me while fasting – from past experience, I’d guess cardio is fine, but weightlifting will need to wait until I’m eating – when I’ve done a weights session before food, especially lifting heavy, I get tired really fast, but I used to run every morning before eating and that was fine.

Day 1-3 VA NFD, FD, NFD – I did ok on the fast day (yesterday) until the late night call of a sweet treat (via my inconsistently supportive DH) got to me. Still dreamt of what I would eat today yet ate sensibly after all. I am better prepped for FD 2 now that I have experience and am out of the sweet treats.

My brief: Retired 68 year old married fem (5’6”, 189) with a DS and DD and one wonderful DGS. Have some other health issues (diabetes, hypertension, thyroid issues, arthritis, Lyme, yada, yada, yada), which I hope will disappear or be mitigated by this process. Id like to lose 45-50 pounds by year end.

I realised I didn’t say much about myself in my first post.
    I’m 55, 163cm, 94kg currently. Separated and in a sort of casual relationship with someone who works at sea (so he can be away for 2-3 months at a time). I live with my sister in a very big house – we realised a couple of years ago that if we pooled our resources, we could get a much nicer, bigger place than we could ever manage alone.
    I have a history of different health issues, some of which have contributed to my current weight. Over the last couple of years I have had several surgeries to treat breast cancer and to reconstruct my breasts. the last one was in June this year, so I am hoping to get fitter and less fat now. I’ve generally been quite active and well, despite my health issues.
    I did manage to lose weight two years ago on a very low calorie diet (pretty much just diet shakes every day plus leafy veg) because my BMI was too high to qualify for publicly-funded reconstruction. Even on the very low calorie diet (and I really stuck to it religiously) I still only lost 1kg a week.
    I had so many people tell me how they could lose 5kg a week by just doing xyz. But my body just isn’t keen and that didn’t happen.
    I managed also to gain it all back over the following two years, not helped by the several surgeries.
    So now I’m trying to see if the 5:2 will work for me…

Day 4: Gloucestershire, UK, NFD:

Just calling in very quickly as I have to get off to work. Yesterday’s deliveries turned out OK, weatherwise, as the early rain cleared just in time for us to go out! DD has reported arriving safely back home in 28 degree Melbourne and has put her shorts and T.shirt back on….to her relief!
    @binklebonk: one of my work colleagues set off to New Zealand yesterday for his daughter’s wedding. He was NOT looking forward to the long and arduous flight. Are you in North or South island?

Day 4 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD

First FD of the month done & dusted. Not so bad. I did get a bit ravenous around 4pm, but it was easy to ignore, and I stuck to my FD routine of eating only from 6pm. Half a kilo gone; I’m going to try ADF for a week, just to see how quickly I can shift my excess baggage.

Wishing everyone a good weekend 🌈

Day 4 – Cumbria UK – NFD

Good morning everyone,

Fabulous day yesterday, bright and sunny, no wind, big MOAM walk !
    Luckily there are loads of walks in our area, many within a two mile radius of home, so if the weather turns poor can head home fairly quickly.
    New walk yesterday, had my eye on it for a while, but it turns out not as far as I expected, so extended it on way home. The new part was from the water mill, up the hill through the deer park, there must have been a herd of almost 100 fallow deer near a stand of tall beech trees. I walked past them about 50 yards away, they never spooked, which is unusual.
    Bit disappointed though, did just under 7 miles, burned off 1050 calories, but put on a couple of pounds or so ! Well, the ground in deer park was soft, must have been carrying over a pound of mud on each boot LOL … Lost it on the road home though.

@flourbaby …… LOL putting me as Honorary member for the DRY-JANUARIANS LIST … have cut down significantly already.

@binklebonk … Don’t try or expect to lose too much too quickly, you’ll end up disappointed, give yourself a target that is achievable. If you lost 1 lb or .5 kg a month look where you’ll be this time next year! Slowly and surely and don’t worry if scales fluctuate, play the long game.

@funshipfreddie … quickly on, quickly off, well done buddy, think I’ll be throwing in 3 FD’s a week as well this month.

Off to the shops to top up the wardrobe today, smaller sizes required!

Take care all.

Day 4 – NFD – Ireland
    Hi all, first two days of work in 2020 done and it’s better for me to be back in the workplace…. I feel the heaviest I’ve been in years but I looked back at My Fitness Pal and there is a pattern…. every year on 4/1 I’ve been the same weight… which means I do exactly the same thing year in/year out…. my vow is that on 4/1/2021 I will be lighter….
    I’m rubbish for remembering these things … start dates, trends, etc so MFP is a godsend.
    @flourbaby and @matpi I think I’ll have to resort to binning stuff too… would love to be able to donate somewhere like you can with clothes but don’t think it’s so easy… my workmates are all as fed up with treats as I am…
    I feel I’m in the right frame of mind now for 2020 so will stay strong 💪
    Still have the lurgy but am trying to get some exercise in too… nice bright cold day here yesterday for the first time in weeks ☀️ So got out on my bike 💕 I got cold at the end but think it did more good than harm 🤞 @suki2 my mum is exactly the same… 🍪 🍪 😂 i couldn’t even explain fasting … I do wonder how they are so trim though… my theory is they generation just didn’t eat the sheer amounts of rubbish that we do, crisps , chocolate etc 🤔 hope you had a lovely day!
    @luce68 you and the other newbies are inspiring me with your great FDs thats why this forum
    Is so great…
    @binklebonk you have been through the mill – I hope that this WOL works really well for you! 💪
    @caroline-esty-akporokah If you’d like to change your nick name which is the name that displays on your posts just log in as yourself and go to the top right of any page, then go to Your Profile and Edit Your Profile in the left hand side. Change your nickname there and scroll down to click Update your profile… it’s a good idea to change it as it’s better to be relatively anonymous on these forums as you share quite a bit of personal information on a daily basis ….
    hope this helps if you need more help let me know…✅
    Onward and downward ⬇️
    We rise by lifting others 💕

Day 4 – Cork, IE – FD

Woke up early and planning a productive day of taking down the decorations, cleaning and recycling, such fun 😀 At least I will appreciate the clean house afterwards.

@ccco there seem to be a few people with Cork connections on this forum, always nice to have the connection. Have you ever been to Cork?

Ireland in winter has limited daylight hours so I do need to get outside more while it’s bright. I gave into the lure of the scale this morning and delighted to see a loss of 4lbs. This may be water but it’s still a downward trend which I haven’t seen for a while and which motivates me to keep going.

@jaifaim i started using MFP again recently. I am not particularly a fan of logging my food and calories but it is useful when getting used to the reduced intake on the FDs. As you say, it’s also very useful to keep track of patterns.

Off to do my recycling now.

Day 4 Pocket List
    @flaquita

Day 4 – NFD – Darlington UK

Confession to make. I broke my dry January last night after having a very stressful conversation with someone. I was extremely upset, hurt and just needed a glass of wine, which then turned into a bottle plus naughty things along side 🙁 After a good kick up the bum (from myself to myself) and a good night’s sleep I’m back on it today a lb heavier 🙂

Gym this afternoon and we no food till this evening when we are having a Chinese takeaway.

Next FD is Monday and I’m looking forward to it already

Hope everyone else is ok

Karen

Day 4 Oxfordshire, UK NFD
    Hoping to keep busy with dog walking and undressing the tree today.
    Visits with my mum are always inactive as she doesn’t walk far and the return journey means I’m in the car for 2.5-3 hours depending on traffic.
    Got to see my great nephew though and he is gorgeous.

Have a good day everyone

Day 4 – Second Post

@jaifaim, @caroline-esty-akporokah – I’m afraid your nickname can’t be changed. I tried to change ‘FUNSHIPFREDDIE’ to small casing a while back; but only your password & profile info can be updated. I guess the only way around it would be to create a new profile with a different email address..?

Day 4, London, UK, NFD,

Another NFD to contend with, I may have to attempt a FD tomorrow since I don’t go back to work until the 7th, FDs at home are tricky, but it’s something I have to learn to do unless I intend to work eternally!!!

@binklebonk, you have had a difficult time recently, there are so many benefits to IF, I truly hope 5:2 helps in all areas. For me, I’m focussed on weight loss, but as a side effect I’m hoping that it wards off Alzheimers (my mum has it) indefinitely!!!

Well done @flaquita, the scales can be so motivating, when they’re being nice!!!

I made a cauliflower soup yesterday, all portioned and frozen for the FDs to come; I find soup the most filling and satisfying on a FD. This time 3 years ago, I couldn’t imagine soup without thick crusty bread slathered in butter!! ……………. Apologies to those fasting today, just delete that image from your mind!!!

Stay strong folks!!!

Day 4 USA (Illinois) NFD

My FD yesterday was good, effective, but tiring. Both Silver Sneakers and yoga on a 500 calorie day left me drained. But good for me!

@luce68 – I have to watch it when DH wants sweet treats with me too. You’re starting out much as I was only at 67. Now at 71, I’m still 5’6″ but near 160# which proves to me that this works!
    @binklebonk – yes, you’ve been through a lot. I agree with @flourbaby that IF has many benefits.
    @funshipfreddie – yes, our FD’s were good.
    @i-hate-lettuce – hurrah for shopping for smaller sizes! I did a whole new wardrobe a few years back. That was fun!
    @jaifaim – yes, this forum is terrific. Sorry the name change idea doesn’t work… I know when emails first came out,we were told NOT to use our real name. Hence, I am songbirdme@aol.com for over 25 years now.
    @suki2 – most of us agree that keeping busy does help. Boredom often leads to crazy eating. Hope your trip to your mum went well.
    @flourbaby – I had a cauliflower soup with a restaurant lunch the other day that was not much more than a very salty white gravy. Tasty, but hardly healthy. I will have to check for your recipe. I know I enjoy cream of broccoli soup!

I’m off to work a shift at our Children’s Museum then shopping and dinner out with DH. My DAFD (Day After Fast Day) will have to be judicious!

Onward and downward.

Hi everyone.

@jaifaim @funshipfreddie thank you I will try that later and change my name. If not I tried..

I have realised I have put on a stone in extra weight since May after leaving slimming world in July!!

I was up and down for over a year and couldn’t see the point in wasting my money and only losing 4 pounds in a while year which was not worth the fiver spend every week!!

After having 6 children and aged 45, I have found the weight harder and harder to shift. I live in the Wolverhampton UK and work full time, whilst juggling church, kids, hubby and the gym! Phew..

Can you believe this is day 8 on this fast diet plan and I have lost 4 pounds in total..

I can’t tell you how happy I am.

I have even done a 45 min body combat class at the gym which I completed very early this morning before I became hungry. Well worth it…

I am having liquid only on Saturdays and keeping my calories close to 500 and in weds having food and liquid up to 600 and see how it goes!

So happy I found this site and lovely to see everyone motivating each other.

In my pocket today are:
    @funshipfreddie
    @flaquita

@flourbaby and @matpi We got this and can do this. I love the comment we aren’t bins and refuse to consume everyone’s left overs even though I hate wasting food.

Have a fab day and apologies for the long message!

So, Sorry Im a little late to the party…but here I am.
    My name is Pete, I live in Upstate NY. Married 30 years, together for 37. Im 55 years old and am 6 feet tall and weigh 335. I know, NOT GOOD. Just started AFD on January 2nd. Goal weight is 210lbs.

USA Day 4 NFD

Flaquita, I have been to Cork numerous times, as have my children. My last name is Crowley and as you probably know there are many of us there. My sister lived there and in Dublin. She did her post graduate work in Dublin at Trinity and she lived there with her husband, too. Her daughter lived in Dublin, also attending Trinity, and visited our relatives in Dublin many times. We have very few relatives in the U.S. Only my father and mother had children! LOL It’s always a pleasure to be acquainted with people from Cork. I knew that there is someone else posting here who is from Cork, as well.

Today is a controlled NFD. For some reason that I don’t understand, when I went into my profile, I saw that my TDEE has been changed to a higher number! Well, I guess I now eat more food and still lose weight but I don’t trust myself, so I carefully measure all my portions.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Day 4 Canada FD

@luce68 it sounds like you’re figuring out what works for a FD, we all need some practice to make it work in the beginning
    Congratulations on needing smaller size clothes @i-hate-lettuce must be all that walking. I was planning a long hike in the hills today but it’s another windy one and there are lots of trees falling at the moment. Will head to the gym instead💪
    @binklebonk you have gone through a lot, this WOL has so many benefits but I think the best is improved health. Glad you are here😊
    @flaquita and @suki2 I’m taking down Christmas today as well, feels like it was a month ago
    Welcome @gamebird joining this group is the best decision you have made

Pocket list⬇️
    @funshipfreddie
    @flaquita
    @bellyblast

@funshipfreddie: Ha! I love the way you just easily brushed aside feeling ravenous on your fast-day…..if ONLY I could do that too! But, hey….
    @caroline-esty-akporokah: Hey, I did it! Copied and pasted…..I think it has worked. So, if you can’t change it, no worries!
    @gamebird: Welcome. Join us any time…..we’re a great team.
    @karen250463: Ah, yes….comfort food and drink. Put it in the past. The beauty of 5:2 is the flexibility. You’ll be fine. xx

Pocket list⬇️

@funshipfreddie
    @flaquita
    @bellyblast

Hi everyone.
    @jaifaim @funshipfreddie I have not been able to change my name so after this challenge ends I will have to re register with a new name!

Thanks though x

Day 4 California FD

I’ve finally managed to post and I’m getting out of the holiday slacker mode I’ve been in for two weeks. I did continue to do a 16:8 eating regimen but that’s it and I haven’t weighed myself yet, eek! I’m doing a FD today but I think my son wants to meet for a meal so it may be another day of over 500 calories. Kept up my exercising including weight training so there’s that! No dry January for me because I don’t usually drink more than one a week anyway unless I have guests. I am starting a 7 day sugar challenge from the New York Times on Monday with a coworker. First day is no grains or sugar for breakfast so I’ve got that down okay! Second day is eliminate most sugar from packaged food.

@gamebird – welcome! We’re here to support and encourage you. You will find lots of ideas and benefits on the home page and with our members. Nice to see another USA’er — We have a sister/SIL who lives in Rochester. 🙂

5:2 basics – answers to many FAQs plus top tips:
    https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

Day 4 UK FD

Well I ran Parkrun for the first time since being injured in May. Nearly 17000 steps today and clocking my food on My Fitness Pal to keep me on track. All good so far!

Day 4 CD London

The thing I hate most when I’m not fasting is not my body, but my brain. I’m constantly berating myself for being overweight, comparing myself to other people, feeling like a failure. It’s such a waste of time. BUT I had a really good FD on Thursday. And for the first time for weeks I feel as if my gut isn’t stuffed, and for the first time for months I feel positive about myself. This isn’t meant to be a mea culpa but the best thing about fasting is you can FORGET about weight, food, etc and just get on with it. When you go to Weight Watchers etc you spend your whole life thinking about food, and those programmes don’t work! Right. I’ll shut up now. But I feel so much better, and largely due to this forum. H

Day 4 Oregon NFD
    Extended my fasting window to 18 hours today. I was able to get busy with laundry, then working. Did a short but fast (for me) run this morning as my running partner couldn’t meet up so I had to try to keep up with my husband.
    It sounds like many of you find a calorie tracker useful which makes sense. I need to dust off my neglected My Fitness Pal account for starting up proper fast days (Monday, gulp!) I have used it in the past, it was helpful albeit tedious:)
    Will catch up on posts shortly!

Day 4 – NZ – NFD
    Hi all – non-fasting day. But I went for a trip to Kapiti Island today with family which was awesome – walked uphill for 2 hours, ham and salad sarnie for lunch and an hour and a half walk down the hill. Saw lots of native trees and birds 😀
    @ciren2 – I’m North Island. Your friend will have a fab time – the flights are horrible – very long. But this is a very beautiful country – and this is a good time of year to come.
    @i hate lettuce, Flourbaby, Songbird, jalfaim and bellyblast – thanks for your comments. It has been a big deal – I’m kind of only coming to terms with it now it’s all over. And yes, from what I’m reading, this is a slow process, but that seems like the right thing to me – my fast pre-surgery weightloss was very temporary!

Day 4 Canton Ohio CD

I originally planned a FD but DD offered to make me a low carb breakfast and I decided to enjoy the moment. This is my birthday weekend, and I turn 45 in the morning.

Day 5 will be an OMAD, I’m really excited to keep this going and take charge of my health.

See you on day 5

Day 5 – USA – NFD

@basyjames, happy, happy birthday!

Viewing 50 posts - 101 through 150 (of 709 total)

You must be logged in to reply.