January 2021 Challenge – Rejuvenating January

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
January 2021 Challenge – Rejuvenating January

This topic contains 598 replies, has 36 voices, and was last updated by  I hate lettuce 2 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 251 through 300 (of 612 total)

• Day 11 second post.

@basyjames – can you tell me the name of your menopause book? I’d be interested to read it. I know you have mentioned it before.

Hi Nellen
    It just means today’s list of active fasters (rather than a non-fast day) 🙂

USA Day 11. FD800

My kitchen is closed with my meals coming in at 765 calories. Now all I have to do is make sure I stay dry to Friday!

Day 11, London, UK, NFD

It’s a late check-in from me today, not a great nights’ sleep followed by meeting the contractor regarding the new kitchen & bathroom, then home to prep a salad for dinner, although in the process I demolished an antipasti platter of lots and lots of tiny portions of fabulous things I love!! Prosciutto, artichoke hearts, olives, feta, Manchego (& membrillo, of course!), cucumber & tomatoes!!Low carb, high fat/calorie, but perfect for a NFD lunch!!! So, I’m calling the day at 20:4 and below TDEE!!

@snowflake56, I loved the choral accompaniment to Annie Lennox, just beautiful!

Welcome back @metatauta, we can forgive your absence since you were reigniting a 💜 flame 🔥 rather than keeping up with our 5:2 musings!!!

@daffodil2010, what can I say, the demon drink strikes again🍷, feel better soon. I certainly can’t claim to have this nailed, I just don’t have any booze in the house😂 and the 1:12 hill walk to the bottle shop is a no-no (or is it Hell No😂!!) for me!!!!

@at, I know, I can’t believe we’re 1/3 through the month already, but there’s lots of time left to get some FDs under our (suspiciously tighter?) belts!!!

@fivetwofan5252, funnily enough after watching Jason Fung, he said the earlier you eat the better when IF’ing, I’m working my way to closing the kitchen door a little earlier every day because I know as soon as I break my fast with just one single solitary morsel passed my lips, I’m like a vacuum cleaner with any food in sight. So, this earlier eating window business is going to take some willpower & mojo that’s been lacking in my life for a wee while now!!!!…………………. Gently does it Flourbaby💪!!!

@ccco, all you’ve got to do is, no sudden movements & ……………………………………… “Step away from the corkscrew”!!!!😜😂😝

Looking forward to tomorrow’s FD ………………………………. But will it be a LFD??????

“A river cuts through rock, not because of its power, but because of its persistence.” – unknown

USA. Day 11. FD800

I just had to jump in here to thank FlourBaby for the advice, which I shall take! LOL

Day 11 France FD second post

I think I got off to a good start today but now I’m up to 500 calories consumed and I’m ravenous. I’m drinking a mug of tea but wondering if I should eat something such as greek yoghurt and a banana? I did a Joe Wicks HITT workout this afternoon- only 25 minutes of exercise but quite intense so maybe that’s the reason.

Maybe 800 calories 3x a week would be better for me?

Is anyone else doing workouts on FDs and are they absolutely B***** starving at night?

Day 11 Minnesota, USA MFD

@snowflake56 Thank you for adding me to the pocket list today, and for the links. Quite moving.

@i-hate-lettuce I also enjoyed your descriptive narrative of your walk through your beautiful area.

@clemmi I find my appetite is increase from HIIT and swimming, and decreased with walking and cycling. If you go over the 500 calories, maybe just make it less than 800 and call that a fast day, and try again the next day or two for the 500. It’s really a matter of what works best for you!

@flourbaby I love the saying about the river……persistence really IS the key to success over time.

@brightonbelle I hope your FD went well, and gives you momentum.

@nellen Having our names together on a list for FDs or other mini-challenges started a couple years ago by @ciren2 as a way to motivate….back then, some even wrote the names of fellow fasters on a piece of paper, stuck it in their pocket, and pulled it out to look at it whenever they felt tempted to break their fast…..knowing the thought of others fasting would keep them strong.

@metatauta I’m afraid I am not the one to ask to put your name on the spreadsheet…..just no skills in that department. Possibly someone else could do that for you? Please, and thank you!

@emma-taylor Sending positive vibes and prayers your lungs are okay.!

As for the OMAD in the evening giving you reflux, I think it’s quite likely. I know if I don’t eat after 6:30 pm I will not have reflux..Usually.

Krista Varady, PhD wrote a book called “The Every Other Day Diet, 4 Weeks, 12 Pounds, 2 Sizes” in 2013 discussing her research regarding fasting. Dr. Michael Mosely cited and discussed some of her research in his first book about 5:2 Fasting.
    Her subjects usually ate their one meal a day at lunchtime. She says not to break it into several smaller meals, because it just gives more of a chance to go over the 500 calories, since we all underestimate our intake. So much of the early research on fasting came from her. And the successful weight loss of the fasters in her studies was mostly done with one meal at lunchtime. I just never thought I could achieve that, since after I eat lunch, I am always watching the clock until I can eat my meal at 5-6:00pm. I think it makes sense to eat while you are active and using calories……I just haven’t been able to do that.

Good luck everyone!

day 12, FD, Aus

hello everyone!! I’m back!!! I’ve caught up on all the posts but have so much of your news, and new and old names, crammed into my shot term memory that I won’t be able to comment on individual posts. But some lovely news from you all!

I put on 4kg in the 4 weeks I had off. The break was lovely – did nothing and went nowhere, but ate and drank far too much. I even ate breakfasts most days. What the??

I’ve really looked forward to today’s FD. My goal for the rest of the month is to shed those holiday kilos. I am firmly attached to the wagon!

Day 11 USA (Illinois) NFD

Yesterday’s OMAD turned into only 600 calories, so my thought of making today a FD went out the window. Especially after Silver Sneakers this morning, I needed an energy bar with my remaining coffee.

@metatauta – great to see your familiar name back again.

@nellen – “pocket list” goes way back like 4 years, when the thought that if you put your name on a list and the others put it in their pocket, you had a real camaraderie with fellow fasters. I believe it actually began for B2B fasting, but it has evolved into just fasting support.

Hope to do an honest FD tomorrow. Although just the thought of those ribs, @stitchincarol – make my mouth water. I usually just find them in a good BBQ restaurant, haven’t tried to do them myself. I envy you doing that! Enjoy your sons. Tonight will be chicken wings and crudites while we watch the NCAA final game. We are always GO BIG 10 when our Illini aren’t in it but others are – so, GO OSU!

Onward and downward.

Day 10 – NFD – Western Australia
    Day 11 – FD (OMAD)
    Day 12 – FD

Catching up on posts today as I slipped up a few days there and didn’t check in. Managed a FD yesterday with just a Caesar Salad for dinner and trying for another FD today. I didn’t hit the weekly scale-target of 76kg, but got down to 76.2kg… close!

I am telling myself that if I do back-to-back fasts, it’ll help the weight loss, but from reading the updates from Dr. M I’m not entirely sure that’s true. Will see, I guess.

@elektron and @nellen — I see you also enjoy Caesar salad like I do. I make my own dressing. It’s about the only salad dressing I like any more. 🙂

Anyone else here into Caesar? I’m partial to anchovies.

Day 12, Emden Germany, NFD

I forgot, how cold you can be on a FD. I had another bowl of chicken broth, took my book and went to bed at 6:00 pm.

@flourbaby “new kitchen & bathroom”, does this mean, you found a house?

@songbirdme When eating with friends, we often have Caesar salad as a starter. I normally don’t like anchovies but in the drssing my DH makes it’s fine.

Have a nice day everyone!

Day 12 NFD U.K.

I’m so pleased as I’ve woken up feeling ‘normal’ after my FD yesterday, thanks to the inclusion of salt whilst fasting! PHEW!

@flourbaby – thanks this is so interesting! I love Dr Fung too…

@metatauta – I’ll add your name to the list this morning so it should be on by the time you wake up….

@northerndawn – I love a book! Thanks so much, I didn’t know about Krista varady’s book – I’m ordering it now! 😊

SECOND post

@songbirdme – a piece of history right there in your description of the pocket list …. I had no idea this was specific to our 5:2 forum !

@snowflake56 – agreed, I too had forgotten how cold you can get! I was freezing by 6pm… I put the heating on full whilst at my desk and was still cold wearing 5 layers of clothing!

Day 12 – Ireland 🇮🇪 – NFD

I feel absolutely marvellous this morning, it’s amazing what a good FD, plenty of water, no coffee apart from my early morning wake up cup, peppermint tea, and an early night can do. Like @snowflake56 I was in bed early, but at 8pm, lights out at 9pm 😀

I think I will swerve the coffee in work today and stick to herbal. I love my coffee but it was getting to be 4 to 5 cups a day and sometimes I felt wired. ☕️

@songbirdme I often order a Caesar salad when eating out although anchovies are not my thing…I can’t bear to see them in anything.

Oh and another good thing, after a plateau of a few weeks I am seeing a shift downwards so hoping that things are moving. I have been eating a lot of foods to “cleanse” my poor old liver (OK, then I ruin it by drinking wine at the weekend), but it seems, hopefully, that the cleansing has begun.

Today I am avoiding the lunch delivery in work and bringing in my own avacado bean spinach salad and a lentil vegetable soup for evening meal. I am not calling it an FD as I have just had avacado, blueberries and kefir for breakfast, but it’s all healthy stuff 😇😇

My middle Step-daughter is a police officer, she has to self isolate as one of her close workmates has Covid, prayers that she does not show any symptoms herself and is ok.

Take care everyone.

THIRD POST – sorry!!

@clemmi

I used to do a big gym session (circuit training) at 630pm and then eat the last of my 500 calories at 8pm and then go to bed to ride out my hunger!

I personally never eat anything carbohydrate-y either the night before or during a fast…. it spikes my blood sugar too much and consequently makes me too hungry to bear!

As others have suggested, you may find HIIT is better placed on NFDs???

Day 12 – Lake district UK – NFD

Good morning everyone

@daffodil2010 – Like you this morning feel rather good especially after my first FD in a while, which was very easy! I’m another who has cut right back on the coffee, never been a lover of strong coffee as it is, so quite easy to cut back or I have some decent decaf’. But drink a lot of water these days, radiotherapy has left me with ‘dry mouth’ and I’m struggling to produce saliva, so always have water to hand, apparently it can take a long time for the glands to recover, which is a bit of a bind.

Looks like a good morning for a walk, sun crawling its way upwards, no wind or clouds, so make the most of it later this morning.

Take care all

Day 12 France NFD

Well, my FD yesterday closed at 768 calories- not great but at least under 800. Thank you to @Fivetwofivetwo5252 and others for your recommendations about not doing HITT on a FD.

I’m using MFP to track my food and was quite surprised that the small portion of porridge I’ve had this morning is so low in protein. I always thought oats were reasonably high.
    We’re going to get out in the garden this morning, cutting a natural hedge and piling up all the waste in the trailer to take to the dechetterie (tip) so that should keep my mind off food. Later on, I’ll do another HITT!

Tomorrow is going to be my next FD so I’ll not do any hard exercise and see if I feel less hungry.

I hope you all have a great day and good luck to the fasters.

Hello all. I realise it’s halfway through January but can I join in. I’ve not been on here for a while but the weight has been creeping on and I need some positive vibes.
    I’m on week 2 of low carb and fasting. I’m trying to do lunch and dinner + at least 16 hours fasting. I am also in the process of tying myself up in knots regarding LCHF or low carb and the calorie restriction of the Fast800 approach. Am I over thinking things? LCHF seems too good to be true in terms of calories but is more realistic if it means I’m not hungry.

Day 12. USA/DC NFD. Phew I am a little wiped out after a chaotic stressful FD yesterday. Never even made it to 500 cal., slept 4 hrs, ugh. But I’m here that’s what counts I think.
    @johnnyr – it’s never too late to join. Hop on in. Welcome
    Hope all have a great day. Sending light and good energy

Thank you @nellen. Enjoy your day too 🙂

Day 12 – USA/GA – FD

Weigh-in: 232 lbs. It’s cold outside, I’m working at home again (at least for this week) in the kitchen/dining area, and warm foods beckon. The weird thing is that I am doing fine on my FDs; it’s the NFDs that I suspected were the culprit. So, yesterday, at midday, I started writing down everything from snacks to meals and all in between. I was shocked what I was doing, and I think my little list will help me realize I don’t eat the same on a NFD at home as I do on a NFD at work! To give an example, in addition to a sandwich, I had five to six bowls of things yesterday (no, not fruit … fruit, cheese, crackers, bread, and nuts were extra LOL). I haven’t tallied everything up, but it’s easy for me to see how I could be going way above my TDEE in any given NFD. I suspected this, but now I have proof!

I’ll keep my list on my refrigerator while working at home to remind me to eat three satisfying meals and stop endless grazing on my NFDs. Am I alone today? I’m going back out there! Have a great day, all!

Pocket list Day 12
    @northgeorgia

ZBC
    @northgeorgia

Day 12 – Rural Nebraska, USA – FD500

Yesterday was delightful with our sons, and we played a game new to us called Code Names; have you all heard of it? I’m not sure if it’s both online and on a board of some sort, but we did the online version, where we were each on a device (laptop, tablet, phone) and one person gives a one-word clue and the other person on their team has to figure out what word it’s describing. We had great fun, and learned there’s a real difference between what DH and I think are reasonable clues and what our sons think are reasonable clues. For example, I said “steamer” to DS29 and he was stumped, but DH immediately understood I was giving a clue to “trunk.” That led to lots of laughter, and the next game, our boys insisted DH and I be a team, and they were a team, and it all went better, LOL!

And I’m so thankful today will be a FD; the ribs were spectacular, but I’ve a load of food floating around in my gut, and I’m so glad to be fasting today! And, I’m getting better and better at making just enough for the meal, so there’s almost nothing left over to tempt me away from my FD, LOL!

@clemmi When I do a FD, breakfast doesn’t even enter into the question, because I never eat breakfast anyway, so I’m simply skipping lunch. Starting somewhere around 2:30 or 3:00 I start getting hungry, but often lots of liquids (iced tea in summer, hot tea in winter) will tame that dragon. Supper then consists of plain fish with an entire dinner plate full of steamed veggies. It’s a lot of bulk even though the calories are below 500, and it works for me to satisfy that hungry dragon. Perhaps you could try that on your next FD.

@penz Welcome back, we’ve missed you!

@songbirdme DH and I love Caesar salad!

@i-hate-lettuce So delightful your first FD in awhile went well. Interesting side effect that you have dry mouth, but it makes sense, and so glad always keeping water with you is a reasonable solution until you’re able to produce saliva again.

@johnnyr Welcome! Whenever someone joins in is fine, and we’re glad to pull you onto the wagon with us all! Perhaps as you read all the comments about how each of us actually “do” 5:2, you’ll be able to work out what will work best for you. My personal opinion is that hunger is a good thing, and I work hard at believing that every FD, LOL!

Pocket list Day 12
    @northgeorgia
    @stitchincarol

ZBC
    @northgeorgia
    @stitchincarol

DTF
    @stitchincarol

Exercise 30×5
    @stitchincarol

“It’s going to be hard, but hard is not impossible.”

“You can find inspiration from others, but determination is solely your responsibility.”

“Tomorrow, you’ll be glad you did.” — @funshipfreddie

@ngeorgia. Just read your post. I have tried journaling my food intake on paper without success. MFP, the free version, is the only thing that works for me. It makes me focus and think. My weight comes back when I decide I can do it in my head. My head likes to have huge memory lapses. :))))

Day 12 Oxfordshire, UK – FD

Yesterday’s calories came in around 700 and todays will be similar.
    Skipped breakfast today as I had errands to run and no time before hand. When I got back it was almost lunchtime. Ended up eating ‘lunch’ around 2pm and dinner will be 7.30pm which is an unusually short eating window for me.

Adding myself to the lists, although not ZBC as today was a one off.
    Have a good day everyone.

Pocket list Day 12
    @northgeorgia
    @stitchincarol
    @suki2

ZBC
    @northgeorgia
    @stitchincarol

DTF
    @stitchincarol
    @suki2

Exercise 30×5
    @stitchincarol
    @suki2

USA. Day 12. FD800

My calorie intake of food was good, coming in under 800, but then I had wine in the evening. That is what I have to stop. I am now up one pound! Ugh! Adding myself to the pocket lists:

Pocket list Day 12
    @northgeorgia
    @stitchincarol
    @suki2
    @ccco

ZBC
    @northgeorgia
    @stitchincarol

DTF
    @stitchincarol
    @suki2
    @ccco

Exercise 30×5
    @stitchincarol
    @suki2

I wish everyone who is on this list a good fasting day and to everyone else a good NFD.

Day 12 USA (Illinois) FD

This group of fasters is marvelous. And so welcoming to newbies. Probably much of what I appreciate about coming on here, reading, supporting and being supported.

I have my annual physical tomorrow, so fasting today.

Pocket list Day 12
    @northgeorgia
    @stitchincarol
    @suki2
    @ccc
    @songbirdme

ZBC
    @northgeorgia
    @stitchincarol

DTF
    @stitchincarol
    @suki2
    @ccco

Exercise 30×5
    @stitchincarol
    @suki2

Onward and downward.

Day 12 North Canton OH NFD

Breaking News: No hot flashes for me yesterday, I did have a warm flash yesterday about 7pm, but it was so mild that I barely noticed it; and that my friends is what I call #winning!!!

@fivetwofan5252 I eat before 2pm every day no matter what. On fast days I either drink only water (or eat my 500 calories) before 2pm, on non-fast days, I eat breakfast and lunch only. This practice is new for me (past 2 ½ months); I started following this eating pattern after I read up about menopause and learned how working with circadian rhythms can promote wellbeing.

@EmmaTaylor the book I read is “The Menopause Diet Plan” by Hillary Wright. It was really good. There were two parts to the book; the first part explained the physiology of menopause and offered recommendations for alleviating symptoms; and the second part offered a diet plan. I was primarily interested in the first part and modified my diet based on the recommendations. It seems to be working.

@clemmi I work out intensely almost every day, even when water fasting. Yesterday I completed a 45 minute MBFA (muscle builds fat advanced) workout with 15 & 20 pound weights while water fasting. I had to build up to it, but I think it may be a mind over matter thing. Prior to the last few months, I used to think that intense workouts meant I had to eat to recover, but after watching one of Jason Fung’s videos, I switched my thinking to – “I have plenty of fat to power my workouts and my body will just have to work harder to find it”, and I was able to ignore any resulting hunger pangs. Our bodies can do hard things; our minds just have to keep up. However, as @northerndawn said you have to find what works for you.

@penz and @johnnyr it is good to see you both, welcome back!

@daffodil2010 prayers for your daughter

I watched Arnold Schwarzenegger’s remarks on the Capitol Hill riots yesterday and I was greatly moved by it. If we refuse to learn from history, we are destined to repeat our mistakes.

Blessings to you all

Pocket list Day 12
    @northgeorgia
    @stitchincarol
    @suki2
    @ccc
    @songbirdme

ZBC
    @northgeorgia
    @stitchincarol

DTF
    @stitchincarol
    @suki2
    @ccco

Exercise 30×5
    @stitchincarol
    @suki2

Onward and downward.

Day 12 Canada FD

Been MIA and not doing a great job of whittling away the newly added pounds. Logging everything into MFP has definitely helped get my head in the right place though. FD today and again on Thursday so back on the wagon. Will catch up on posts during the afternoon.

Pocket list Day 12
    @northgeorgia
    @stitchincarol
    @suki2
    @ccc
    @songbirdme
    @bellyblast

ZBC
    @northgeorgia
    @stitchincarol

DTF
    @stitchincarol
    @suki2
    @ccco
    @bellyblast

Exercise 30×5
    @stitchincarol
    @suki2

Onward and downward.

Day 13, NFD, Aus

Yesterday’s LFD was surprisingly easy; it’s as if my body was just waiting for me to finally get back into the 5:2 rhythm. However, unlike you @daffodil2010, I don’t feel marvellous this morning. I had a shocking night’s sleep and barely got a stretch of 30 mins uninterrupted snoozing. I just could not switch the brain off. Is it because I’ve returned to work? And I know from practice that if I’ve had a bad night’s sleep, I tend to want to eat more the next day partly to keep myself awake. Vigilance is the word for today!!! (If I mentally add anchovies to anything I am tempted to eat that will help me refrain – not a fan!)

Still catching up on all the happenings from the last month. I’m curious too @flourbaby – new kitchen and bathroom? I thought you had roof issues in your old place?

Welcome back @johnnyr – seems an age since we’ve seen you in these forums.

@stitchincarol – your CodeName game reminds me of one I’ve played called Articulate – good fun. I remember one excellent clue: (Articulate is not limited to one word clues) – dog, priest and shirt. The answer was collar.

@clemmi – I’ve never had any issues exercising on FDs – and I do liquid only FDs – but as @basyjames suggests, I think it helps to work up to it.

And very remiss of me yesterday not to thank @northerndawn for hosting this month. It’s soo good to see this huge support network continue in this forum.

Happy hump day everyone!! (Is @funshipfreddie still lurking in the back ground?)

Day 12 UK NFD

Wow I must be late posting if @penz is already posting for 13 -must remember to do it earlier tomorrow So nice to be feeling like normal again Enjoying exercising , started a new Adrienne 30 day yoga challenge 🧘‍♂️ Very interesting reading the various questions and answers- it’s great to get so many good ideas

Day 13 – NFD – Western Australia

@songbirdme I’ve never really thought about anchovies, but I don’t mind them on pizza. I’m using a store-bought sauce (Paul Newman brand) which I quite like. I keep it plain and usually just throw in lettuce, shaved parmesan and bacon/ham in place of anchovies.

I made a salad last night with spinach, a small handful of slivered almonds and dried cranberries, some sliced leftover steak and dressed it with vinaigrette. It was surprisingly tasty! Definitely going on the Fast Day Menu for me 🙂

Day 12- Minnesota, USA NFD

@stitchincarol What a lovely day you had with your sons! I remember great Holidays with my parents and Great Aunts and siblings playing Pinochle into the morning hours. Maybe it’s a German thing? But, anyway, those days and nights are some of the happiest memories I have of my youth and young adult-hood .

@penz Glad to see you back!
    @elekrton Keep on here…you will find your best way over time.

@snowflake56 I always get cold on my fast days. Now
    I did fill up the hot water bottle, and use it. But @songbirdme says…she uses rice bags…and I’m going to look into that.

@fivetwofan5252 I hope you get some info out of it, the Varady book, but it is 7 years old now. I haven’t looked her up on youTube, lately. Maybe she has new books or new research? Something to look into.

@daffodil2010 You are always such the bright spot….the optimist in this forum. Much needed in these trying times! Your lovely, positive voice is much appreciated by me, and I’m sure, by everyone here on the forums! 🥰

@johnnyr It doesn’t matter at all what day of the month you join in to the challenge!
    We are glad to have you here, and glad to have you back with us, after a couple of years of you being away.
    I have been the same….off and on over the years, coming back to the forum when my weight got higher than maintenance would allow. We all need support! Let me just say this again….

We all need support!!

Best to everyone. See you tomorrow!

Day 13, Emden Germany, NFD

@penz and @johnnyr Welcome back!

@fivetwofan5252, @daffodil2010, @songbirdme and @northerndawn I’m wondering why we get so cold, it seems to be an inner coldness, I had the heating full on. I’d like to know, if there is something we can do to prevent it, apart from eating more calories of course. Soup didn’t help at all.

@stitchincarol I don’t think “steamer” is one of the things that comes up in the mind of your son’s generation. We had an old wind-up record player on the table after playing some records, when the children from next door came over to play (Monopoly). They had no idea what it was for and found us slightly weird for using it. We couldn’t convince them of the beauty of the extra things (the whirring, the scratches) you hear when playing records.

@northerndawn I had to look up pinochle. It seems it’s played in the south of Germany, here they play something called skat.

Have a nice day everyone!

Day 13 U.K. FD

Ooh I’m starting the Day 13 pocket list 😊

But at the moment it’s just me, haha!

@basyjames this is so interesting! It’s the reverse of course of our conventional approach to fasting days (I wait til 1800 before starting on my 500 cals)

However I can really see the logic in this and I’m going to investigate further …. will also buy the book Menopause Diet Plan that you recommended to @emmataylor. Thanks 😊😊

Day 13 – Ireland 🇮🇪 – FD

Not my usual day for an FD but feeling up for it so may as well while enthusiasm is high. Zero until lunch and I will choose a vegan falafel salad. Chickpea salad for dinner.

I will pop over to my elderly friend at lunchtime – I know “popping” over to see anyone is not allowed these days but I am her support bubble and she only lives 5 minutes from my work place. We will have our lunch together then back to the grindstone for me. It’s a pity she smokes though as she thinks nothing of lighting up in her own home (something even my generation don’t do and I am 53 ☹️) so I have to face the fact I may stink of smoke on my return. Hopefully I can get out before she lights up. As for asking her not to……well, I KNOW that won’t go down too well..Hey ho!

@northerndawn Aww, thank you, that’s so kind of you. I try my best but there are days when optimism is hard to find. However, glass pretty full these days.

@penz so sorry you couldn’t sleep, hope you can have a better night tonight.

Oh, I was standing outside in the rain, in the dark, in the muddy grass this morning, doing my daily grounding with my cup of green tea…..and suddenly I felt so grateful to be able to stand outside and feel the rain on my face and feel the wet grass on my feet…..there are so very many people who currently don’t have that freedom and privilege through being sick or in hospital or whatever…

So enjoy each day. We cannot control what’s going on out there in the world but we can control what’s hoping on with ourselves.

Have a great hump day. It’s a two hump one today 🐫

Day 13 Oxfordshire, UK – CD

Day 13 pocket list 😊
    @fivetwofan5252
    @daffodil2010

DTF
    @suki2

Exercise 5×30
    @suki2

ZBC

Day 13 – USA/DC NFD
    Good morning all.
    First a logistical question – may I be on the FD and Exercise pocket lists? I don’t know how to put myself on the list. (That sounds rather existential doesn’t it.) I am Not Drinking till February – oh whoa – this may be the hardest part. Although after two weeks I seem to miss it far less except when I watch the news. Fortunately I have my cocker spaniel to get me through that. :)))
    Good luck with today all. Please think of us here in the US – it’s going to be a rocky ride the next week or so. I just read that if you are parked within large sections of DC after today we may not be able to retrieve our cars till after Inauguration Day. So much security in force. This just feels surreal.
    Thanks for being there all

Day 13 France FD

Good afternoon everyone,

It’s really helpful to read your posts so thank you @stitchincarol for your recommendation about the plate of veg with fish as an evening meal.

I’m on my second FD and so far, so good. No breakfast (except a mug of tea which I refuse to give up) and a lunch of 55g poached salmon and some cauliflower. I’m planning on some sort of egg and veg thing this evening (frittata?) with lots of veg. I think I’ll probably go for 800 calories again and the same tomorrow but if it’s less than that,it will also be good.
    I’m considering doing the fullblown 800 a day Monday to Friday and then TDEE (goal weight) Friday, Saturday and Sunday starting next week but I’m not putting too much pressure on myself. Do any of you do anything similar?

It’s quite a nice day here- about 10C and cloudy but with some sun so we’ve been gardening for a couple of hours. I’ve been cutting back brambles and digging out roots. I might do a HITT later or I might do a Fitsteps dance workout instead.

Day 13 pocket list 😊
    @fivetwofan5252
    @daffodil2010
    @clemmi

Day 13 – USA/GA – NFD

Weigh in: 230 lbs. Got a meeting in ten minutes to discuss whether or not we return to the office next week, so this post will be quick. Tried to dehydrate some bananas overnight — as suspected, less like chips and more like chewy banana flavored erasers or something LOL. But I mixed them into a small bowl of oatmeal and had an egg and small slice of fresh mozzarella. Then I brushed my teeth to signal “I’m done until lunch.”

Quick welcome to all the newcomers and glad you’re with us on the January journey! Nearly the middle of the month. I’ll be glad to just lose two or three pounds 🙂

Take care, and good luck to our pocket listers.

@clemmi – I think your plan sounds terrific. my suggestion is that you give yourself allowance if you go over the 800 by some. I might have a hard time doing that so many days in a row. I am doing 2 or 3 days of 500 a week and TDEE the remaining days with exercise each day (and not adding any additional calorie allowance for the exercise – so I guess that’s not really TDEE but in my head it is.). That has really been working for me. And the daily exercise (spin, yoga, strength and walking) is really helping with the nervous energy around what is going on in the US. Just my two bits.

Day 13 – UK – CD
    Day 12 – FD800

After a beautiful sunny day yesterday we are back to grey and drizzly weather……..

Keeping busy with zoom classes, walks and volunteering a couple of sessions a week to provide a hot meal to those vulnerable in our community. Trying to keep safe and healthy during these difficult times

@emma-taylor – hope the chest x-ray is OK and that the issues are something simple like reflux as the GP suggests 🤗
    @fivetwofan5252 – I don’t think it matters when you have your OMAD – best to go for the option that suits you – I tend to have mine as an evening meal as that is when I tend to struggle more but others have theirs mid way through their day
    @flourbaby – sounds like you are needing a lot of work on the old place – is this all as a result of the roof leaking?? and I think I need to remember your saying “Step away from the corkscrew” more often 🤣
    @clemmi – I do all my regular exercise sessions on FDs and I often do FD800 instead of FD500 on the more intense days so go for whatever suits you. Like @northerndawn says I too find that after intense exercise my hunger disappears e.g yesterday I had OMAD at lunch time as I did a 1hr High Intensity Pilates class at 5pm and after recovering and having a shower did not want to eat anymore so had come more water and a cup of tea and slept 😴 like a log last night! Also I’m one of those on the ZBC as I never eat breakfast, I go for 2 meals a day and will have a late brunch and an evening meal
    @metatauta – you are on the spreadsheet 🤗
    @penz – nice to see you back with us – back to 5:2 and you will soon shift those 4kg
    @songbirdme – I’m into Caesar salads too and a big yes to anchovies!
    @i-hate-lettuce – Hope you enjoyed your walk in the sunshine yesterday
    @johnnyr – it’s been a while – welcome back – I tidied the spreadsheet so you are on it in alphabetical order now ☺️ hope you work out a way of eating that helps you in your quest to lose weight and improve your health markers
    @ccco – I sympathise about the 😈🍷🥂
    @nellen – I have added you the lists as requested 🤗 and on the DTF list with a note of Dry January 🚫🍷🥂 and I’m sure all our American friends are in our thoughts during these troubling times in your country – take care and stay safe x

Day 13 pocket list 😊
    @fivetwofan5252
    @daffodil2010
    @nellen

DTF
    @suki2
    @nellen – Dry January!
    @at

Exercise 5×30
    @suki2
    @nellen
    @at

ZBC
    @at

“Success is failure turned inside out…
    And you can never tell how close you are
    It may be near when it seems so far.
    So stick to the fight when you’re hardest hit
    It’s when things seem worst that you must not quit”
    Last stanza from a poem by EDGAR A. GUEST

Day 13 USA (Illinois) NFD

Slept horribly following my FD. Just why that happens still puzzles me. Rested in bed til about 2 a.m. but then got up about 6:30. Oh well. Have a full day today, so hopefully can just muddle through.

@snowflake56 – The cold issue (like the sleep issue) seems to be another puzzlement. I rationalize it as lack of fuel in my body on a FD that keeps my body, extremities mostly, cold. Oh, and how I agree with you about the beauty of vinyl records. There’s something about all of the sounds that is beautiful.

@daffodil2010 – sorry you have to put up with going back to work smoky, but what a sweet thing for you to connect with your elderly buddy. Likely it means so much to have human interaction.

@nellen – to join lists, we copy and paste the lists adding yourself. The @ tag (right next to the name) gives he colored designation. If you’re working from a phone or something that’s difficult to copy/paste from, you can always ask one of us to add you to a list. Sure hope your car isn’t an issue for you and other D.C.’ers — ugh. Our country has got to figure things out.

Onward and downward.

USA. DaY 13. FD800

Day 13 pocket list 😊
    @fivetwofan5252
    @daffodil2010
    @nellen
    @ccco FD800

DTF
    @suki2
    @nellen – Dry January!
    @at
    @ccco-Dry January

Exercise 5×30
    @suki2
    @nellen
    @at

ZBC
    @at

I think I need to join @nellen in a dry January. I failed again last night! I made a nice container of sugar free ice tea, something I normally only drink in the Summer. If I don’t start, I don’t continue. Eliminating the food seems to be much easier, so here I go!

Hope everyone is having a lovely day!

@ccco – welcome. Fair warning – the first week of Dry January is the hardest. But boy do I feel better two weeks in. Not to mention, you save at least 150 calories each day you stay off. And for me, I lose willpower on the food front if I am drinking. So all in all a win win once you get there.

Day 13 – Rural Nebraska, USA – FD800

Yesterday’s FD went well. I nibbled on some cheese that wasn’t on the menu, but I was smoking it, so needed to know if it was time to stop smoking it, LOL! (It’s always something, huh?) Then, as long as I had the smoke tube going, I stuck the frozen fish on the rack with the tube and left it for an hour, then brought it in and cooked it. It worked well, but it turns out DH doesn’t like smoke flavor, LOL, so I won’t be doing that very often!

@penz, great clue! I’ll look up the game Articulate and perhaps we’ll be the proud owner of that game also! And I looked up @funshipfreddie, and if he’s lurking, he’s not posting because his last post was to us back at the end of August, more’s the pity.

@northerndawn, pinochle can’t be a particularly German thing because I haven’t a drop of German in me (I’m 75% Scandinavian by heritage); it’s probably just a thing of people who like cards and like skill to be a part of it! 😁

@snowflake56 I remember when CDs first came on the market and everyone was so thrilled, but I knew a man who insisted the sound from a record was “warmer.” That was his word. I love that you have an old player and still use it!

@clemmi I’ve been doing FD500 on M/Th, FD800 on T/W, and TDEE on F/Sa/Su for several months now. It would work spectacularly except that I’m so very bad about limiting to TDEE on those three weekend days. If you come up with a clever solution to control eating once you’re off the 500/800 days, do share, LOL! I’ve been doing boatloads of thinking and self-analyzing to figure out why it seems so undoable. Don’t know if I’ve made any progress, but I’ll keep struggling until I figure out a way to succeed.

I started a quilt several years ago that I’ve worked on and then set aside multiple times in those years, sewing other things and other quilts instead. Today is the day the large center part is all sewn together. Then I have borders I’ll design and cut and sew, so it’s still a long way before it’s finished, but it feels so good to be nearly done with the part I started so long ago! So off I go to the sewing room!

Day 13 North Canton NFD

@daffodil2010 thank you for the reminder

@songbirdme I am going to try again to give blood tomorrow, was thinking of you when I signed up

@nellen I can relate, I also lose willpower when I am drinking alcohol. A friend introduced me to Kombucha, and that is what I drink now when I feel like drinking; I know it’s not for everyone though 😁

Day 13 pocket list 😊
    @fivetwofan5252
    @daffodil2010
    @nellen
    @ccco FD800

DTF
    @suki2
    @nellen – Dry January!
    @at
    @ccco-Dry January

Exercise 5×30
    @suki2
    @nellen
    @at

ZBC
    @at

Day 13, UK (Raining & cold!) FD

So then. Thanks for the warm welcome. The tone of this forum is always brilliant. I’m not really one for forums (fora?) but when it comes to weight loss efforts you lot are THE support for me.

I’ve dropped my first Kg according to the scales (Yay!). Tomorrow is my official weigh-in day for the good old Excel spreadsheet I use to track my weight and health stats and I’m hoping for another Kg or two 😉

The past year has been very interesting for me. I thought I was controlling my weight with running. I was at a steady 83.5kg for a while. However, this is still way above my target weight of 74kg. Still, I was pretty fit and running about 18 miles a week until August, when I had my knee crunched into playing football. My diet has been crap though. Aside from the odd fast day and skipping breakfast, most days I’ve been chugging down carbs like a monster 🙁

So here I am, trying to get back on the wagon. I’d best describe my approach as: fasting windows – eat when hungry – low carb mediterranean & low carb high fat – natural foods – no snacking unless pre-meal low carb (olives, Parma ham, cheese, etc.). I allow myself 1 night off each week (Friday) where some nasty carbs are allowed. Let’s see how it goes.

Day 14, FD, Aus

What a good friend you are, @daffodil2010, for putting up with cigarette smoke to spend time with her. I can’t stand even walking into a lift (elevator) when a smoker has been in it previously!

I’d love to be able to follow @flourbaby’s missive to step away from the corkscrew but all the wine in my house are screw tops!! I’m with you, @cccc – fell into a bottle of Viognier last night. I was all set to be “good” but OH suggested a beer and my resolve disappeared. At least I didn’t have the beer too. Thanks, @nellen, the thought of saving 150 calories (plus) through abstinence is motivating.

You smoked cheese, @stitchincarol?? Sounds delish!

Day 13, London, UK, NFD,

Late late post from me, so late in fact, I’m encroaching on @penz’s Day 14!!!!

Welcome back @penz, I had the same “What the??” moment over Xmas regarding breakfast!! I started the ZBC in July just to guarantee putting a tick in that box because I never ate breakfast anyway …………………… then Xmas 2020 I suddenly acquired a completely new species of dragon🐉, a bloomin’ fire breathing breakfast needing one!!!!😤😜

@snowflake56, I’m still in the rental, the leaky roof has been repaired on my flat, now entire redecoration internally, hence the new kitchen and bathroom. I’m still looking for a house though as the stress and despair caused by the ‘impossible to locate’ leak😩😢 means I now know I’ll NEVER live there again!! Sell, sell, sell!!! Plus, I’m looking for a garden🌿 so I can put all of the advice I’ve had from this forum to good use!!!😎

Welcome back @johnnyr, I recall you were (like most of our male members!) a poster boy for 5:2😇, you might find rereading your old posts inspiring and informative!! What worked back then is bound to work again, I do this regularly just to remind myself how slow but steady the losses were and rid myself of unrealistic expectations of dropping 10lbs over a weekend!!!😜😂

I think that menopause book will get sold out!! To be fair, I found fasting, niacin and ACV really helped and actually stopped the nightly PJ or bed changing, dead in its tracks!!!

@northgeorgia, I suppose there’s only one word for food “like chewy banana flavoured erasers” ……………………..Yummy!!!!😜😂

Wow, we’re a real bunch of wine connoisseurs 🍷!!! …………………………………..ok, you know I meant wino’s🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷!!!!

“Food is the most widely abused anti-anxiety drug in America, and exercise is the most potent and underutilized antidepressant,” by Bill Phillips

(I think we can safely change ‘America’ to ‘World’!!!!)

Viewing 50 posts - 251 through 300 (of 612 total)

You must be logged in to reply.