January 2021 Challenge – Rejuvenating January

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
January 2021 Challenge – Rejuvenating January

This topic contains 598 replies, has 36 voices, and was last updated by  I hate lettuce 2 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 451 through 500 (of 612 total)

• Day 21 US/DC NFD
    @northgeorgia – bravo. That’s fabulous news. Congrats.
    Yesterday was my second FD of the week and I was beyond grouchy. I finally just went to bed as I was to crabby for even myself. But this morning I woke to the scales surprising me – am down to 134 lbs, the lowest I have been since I first did 5:2 in 2017!!! Wow. Now I just have to keep myself from celebrating (with food).
    Doing Dry January has, I am quite sure, aided in the weight loss (not to mention in my grouchiness). I am looking forward to the end of the month and a glass of wine (hopefully it will be just one glass.)
    Yesterday in the US was really quite lovely. Calm, peaceful, thoughtful. I think we are all breathing a sigh of relief with hopefulness that we will be able to talk to each other again, not necessarily agree but just talk.
    I am feeling ever hopeful.
    Thank you to all

USA. Day 21. FD800

The pocket list is so long that it is almost impossible to copy! LOL

Pocket List Day 21

@penz
    @lilymartin
    @daffodil2010
    @johnnyr FD800
    @clemmi FD800
    @at FD800
    @brightonbelle
    @northgeorgia
    @ccco

ZBC 🚫
    @northgeorgia
    @at
    @brightonbelle
    @stitchincarol
    @brightonbelle

Exercise 🏋️‍♀️ 30×5
    @suki2
    @brightonbelle
    @at
    @stitchincarol

DTF 🚫🍸🍷🍺🥂
    @suki2
    @brightonbelle
    @ccco (Dry January)
    @at (Dry until 29th)
    @stitchincarol (but perhaps only until Thursday)

Have a great day, everyone!

Day 21 USA (Illinois) NFD

I’m doing pretty well, still pretty happy in maintenance.

@daffodil2010 – you had me chuckling this morning thinking about your stray ginger walk! How delightful that she knows you will bring her breakfast, yet your own Missie will accept your sharing her food. Love it!

@fastingto58kgs – please accept my welcome to our little band. You will find great support and camaraderie here.

@clemmi – days like yours do happen for all of us. Sounds like you got a lot accomplished!

@i-hate-lettuce – so happy for you with the good oncologist report.

@penz – hope your doggie was fine following his surgery. And that you are too.

Onward and downward.

Day 21 – Rural Nebraska, USA – NFD

I hesitate to say my mojo is firmly back in place, because it sure was GONE for awhile, but it certainly seems to be, and I’m so thankful! There is a huge part of me that believes daily walking with Leslie (or any exercise, but Leslie is what I choose) is a huge part of even having mojo and also of maintaining mojo. Who knows. But I’ve walked daily, and I have mojo, so there you go.

This would have been FD500, but I did that yesterday instead of FD800 and tonight we go out to dinner and tomorrow I fast again. I’m trying the EOD approach. I believe it will really help break my mindset that Friday, Saturday and Sunday are for uninhibited eating and drinking. I’ve tried to break myself of that impulse/habit/belief, but haven’t succeeded, so perhaps an EOD approach will do the trick. The amazing news is that, while I was 154 on Monday morning, I am 148.4 this morning. I know a huge portion of that is simply no food lingering in my belly since I’ve had so little food to eat so far this week. But it’s sure encouraging to be below 150 again!

Okay, there’s been lots of talk about Club Tortwah, but no explanation of where the name came from, or what it means…But, oh! @daffodil2010, you just explained it; thanks!

Welcome, @fastingto58kgs! For the record, ALL of us know better, LOL, so you’re in good company. Stick to the program, stick to us, and together we’ll encourage you until you’ve reached 58kgs!

Aww, @daffodil2010, loved your ginger cat story!

@clemmi What a lovely day you had yesterday, both activity-wise and food-wise. Skipping the guilt, embracing the pleasure, and returning to plan today sounds like the perfect attitude.

Ummm… @i-hate-lettuce , it’s probably too late, but this IS Thursday, and you could still fast…LOL! Too funny that you thought it was Friday already!

@flourbaby Wine gums??? What in the world are those?? Will it work for you to promise someone (promise me?) to exercise tomorrow? And then promise again the next day? That has truly helped me; I almost didn’t pull it off yesterday, because I wanted to watch the inauguration, but I figured out I could do it from 4:15 to 5:00–and then managed to make myself do so simply because I couldn’t bear to lie to @penz whether I’d done it, and neither could I bear to admit I hadn’t kept my promise. And perhaps daily exercising really is a huge part of why my mojo has returned? Dunno, but it seems quite likely. AND–loved your quote about if you wouldn’t say it to a friend, don’t say it to yourself. Excellent!

@ccco Congratulations on that low weight of 134!! Well, well done!

Pocket List Day 21
    @penz
    @lilymartin
    @daffodil2010
    @johnnyr FD800
    @clemmi FD800
    @at FD800
    @brightonbelle
    @northgeorgia
    @ccco

ZBC 🚫
    @northgeorgia
    @at
    @brightonbelle
    @stitchincarol
    @brightonbelle

Exercise 🏋️‍♀️ 30×5
    @suki2
    @brightonbelle
    @at
    @stitchincarol

DTF 🚫🍸🍷🍺🥂
    @suki2
    @brightonbelle
    @ccco (Dry January)
    @at (Dry until 29th)

@penz Today, I again promise you that I’ll exercise; I have every day this week!

“A river cuts through rock, not because of its power, but because of its persistence.” – unknown

Have a grand day, everyone!

Day 21 North Canton OH FD
    I went over my TDEE by a lot; I just felt so peckish yesterday. Next week I will be in the office and I am planning to try for water fasts on my FD next week.
    @songbirdme we are all getting old and forgetful, LOL, sorry did not mean to put you on the spot
    @ccco thanks! I always thought club Tortwah was funny; I definitely did not qualify for it two years ago but look at me now. See how things change? and congratulations!
    @penz I had the same reaction to @johnnyr using the F word. I was like – Oh no he used the F word
    @lilymartin, I know that terrible feeling – sympathies; and I just love kombucha which I am seriously surprised about
    @fivetwofan5252 I hope you feel better soon
    @flourbaby eggs!!! Can you see my shocked face? I thought you and eggs were never gonna get together. See how things change?!!!! I think everyone became an emotional eater last year, I even baked bread – and ate it all. I think @dykask is taking a break, just like @funshipfreddie
    @nellen I have noticed that the scale usually rewards difficult fasts. Kudos to you

Pocket List Day 21
    @penz
    @lilymartin
    @daffodil2010
    @johnnyr FD800
    @clemmi FD800
    @at FD800
    @brightonbelle
    @northgeorgia
    @ccco
    @basyjames

ZBC 🚫
    @northgeorgia
    @at
    @brightonbelle
    @stitchincarol
    @brightonbelle

Exercise 🏋️‍♀️ 30×5
    @suki2
    @brightonbelle
    @at
    @stitchincarol
    @basyjames

DTF 🚫🍸🍷🍺🥂
    @suki2
    @brightonbelle
    @ccco (Dry January)
    @at (Dry until 29th)

Day 21 Minnesota, USA CD

@i-hate-lettuce I’m so happy to hear how well you are doing! Just brilliant news!
    @northgeorgia You’re getting there! How exciting to have been under 230 several times now.
    @nellen Congratulations on that lowest number since 2017. And even inspire of all the stress your environment has presented you with. Hopefully, things will stay calm there and everywhere in the US for the long term.
    @stitchincarol Your persistence will indeed reward you…….keep your eyes on the prize!
    @basyjames I hope your FD goes wonderfully today! So you can experience some PFDS tomorrow!
    @fastingto58kgs Welcome! It’s good to add you to our group!

FD for me tomorrow. Always ZBC so that really isn’t a list I need to be on, as it’s just a way of life for me. I’ve been exercising in 10 minute blocks of time once to three times a day: yoga, weights, or and/or HIIT. It suits me to break it up into time slots like that. DTS….either Saturday or Sunday…I haven’t really decided, yet. We are suppose to get a significant snowfall Saturday, into Sunday morning, so I may have to have a glass or two of vino while watching movies and snowflakes. Probably no patio time with DD and family this weekend, as the temps will be colder than we are use to, and it’s expected to be windy.

Stay strong, everyone!

USA. Day 21. FD800

My kitchen is closed and I seem to have succeeded today! Yay!

NorthernDawn, I exercise in increments throughout the day, too, since I can’t go to a gym anymore. It fills empty spaces and suits me just fine. It also guarantees I will do it, at least during these cold days.

Nellen, I agree with the problem of our stressful environment recently. I’ve been getting text alerts from the Secret Service for days now making that stress even worse. Today’s alerts have been telling me of everything that is opening up. Thank, God, at last!

Tomorrow’s another day and another chance excess. Have a great evening/night everyone!

Day 22 country West Australia CD
    Yesterday’s FD wasn’t…. but it WAS a CD so all good.
    The scales show no change but I am just happy not to have to shoe horn myself into my jeans anymore!
    @flourbaby, your replies often make me chuckle.
    I can just imagine 2 Leslies walking off into the sunset hand in hand.
    It did remind me of a joke. ” My grandma used to walk a mile a day – and now we don’t know where she is!!’
    Hot hot day forecast so off to do the chores before it gets too hot then off to Perth for a part-tay tomorrow.
    Have to dress up apparently – but do I have a dress that will fit?? Bit of searching in the wardrobe required methinks.
    I have to say that posting daily and reading everyone’s journey – successful or not so successful ; with or without mojo; struggling/ plateauing or whooshing along all help to keep me on track.
    So thank you one and all. I do really appreciate it.💐
    Onward and downward

Day 22, QLD (AUS) FD800

Brisbane is easing out of restrictions from this morning, so I am off to the gym! Exciting. (And I am so sorry to those of you in lockdown.)

A work trip to Tassie I thought was cancelled because of closed borders is suddenly on again, so running around re-organising myself at the last minute. I fly out tomorrow morning!

The late-night snacking demons have raised their heads the last few days, so am determined to knock that on the head so I don’t undo the last month’s hard work.

Day 22, NFD, Aus

My FD yesterday was a f*** (thinking of you @johnnyr!); started with work morning tea and ended in a bottle of wine. Back on the wagon next week.

Thanks @at, @songbirdme. We picked up our little guy at midday yesterday, super groggy and sleepy. Hated the cone of shame. But by 6pm he was back to his usual self and seemed not to hold any grudge against us at all. He did not want to comply with vet directions this morning for a short walk on the leash – he made it quite clear he expected to be able to do his usual long romp with his doggy mates and roam free. Ah, the powers of recovery in a young health dog!

So proud of you @stitchincarol!! I was about to promise YOU that I would successfully pull off two FDs next week but I’m away with work and visiting family so it won’t happen. However, I do promise that the first week of February I will definitely stick to my planned FDs.

Have a great weekend everyone.

Day 22 – Ireland 🇮🇪 – NFD

It’s actually bright outside, yay, it really perks me up. And it’s Friday too. And I am down a couple of pounds. So good times.

Tonight I visit my social bubble friend, it’s become our Friday Friends night. She told me she is cooking enchiladas so, yum, look forward to that and no counting of calories.

Tomorrow DH and I are having a “restaurant” night at home……we can’t go to our favourite restaurant as its closed due to sever lockdown…but we have decided to cook the food we love ourselves. It may not be as good but it will be fun having a chef Saturday with both of us having different starters and main courses……

Ya have to do something to break the day ☺️

Have a great weekend…..

Day 22 France NFD

I weighed in this morning and I’m exactly the same as last Friday so I’m not happy. I’ve worked out that over the week, I have deficit of about 4000 calories which equates as a loss of about 0.5kg so something is going wrong. I weigh all my food and track using MFP. I know I had a day off plan but actually, it wasn’t that bad and I was very active hauling trees about all morning.

The weird thing is, I’ve done this before very successfully (6kg loss in 6 weeks) so why isn’t it working now? I’m not just doing this for vanity- I’m doing it for my health else I would probably give up and go back to following the old style slimming world plan.

Any helpful ideas please.

Day 22 – Lake District UK – NFD

Good morning everyone

It’s a fine FRIDAY morning! Duh, posted yesterday with a lot of things going on.

@stitchincarol – didn’t miss my Thursday FD though, realised I had skipped a day when I was renewing some documents online first thing!
    So weigh in day today sees me very much on track, getting used to the new lower weight/smaller size, but once again find I need new clothes. New belts and trousers that I bought a few months ago were a bit snug, need replacing already, that’s another year being ‘the best dressed gardener in the village’.

@clemmi – I certainly wouldn’t worry about not losing despite the calorie deficit, it doesn’t seem to work that way. I found when I was doing a lot of long walks and days in the garden, it seems time to take time to ‘filter through’ into weight loss, but it works in the end. Surprisingly I’ve had it the other way, had a BBQ weekend, fed and watered the ‘Inner Warthog’ jumped on the scales and they’ve gone down, it just doesn’t make sense …. but over the long term, it works!

Take care all

Day 22, London, UK, FD

Just back from a 45 minute circuitous walk downhill, then up a 1:12 hill to finish😱, I may do the 1:12 hill first tomorrow (i.e. downhill!!)👍!!! It was penance, as yesterdays’ FD didn’t quite go to plan😟, my off switch is definitely broken!!! So, today WILL be a FD🙏!!

@stitchincarol, I’m not sure if the promising helps me, I think I just need to go grab a big, Big, BIG gun and go mojo hunting …………………. Again!!! I’m glad yours has returned & well done on the 6+lb loss this week, you should feel fantastic!!!

@basyjames, I know, I think I’m an egg snob, it has to be organic or at least free range. I think something in the processed feed for battery/caged birds makes me sick!! Newsflash …………………. Processed food is not good for you, even 2nd hand 😂!!

@ccco, well done on bolting that kitchen door!! Soooooooooo …..”I’ve been getting text alerts from the Secret Service” …………………Should I ask😲? Am I under surveillance for asking😱? Is this normal😳? ………………………. Or am I thinking CIA😉??

@lilymartin, I had a lovely walk in the crisp air this morning, ear-muffs, gloves and 4 layers had me sweating by the end!!! Of course I mean glowing, I’m not a horse!!! You can post me just a tiny bit of that heatwave anytime you like!!!

@litprof, that snack dragon 🐉 visited me last night too, hence the aborted FD!! The only thing that works is to empty the house, but I seem to be getting rid of the snacks by devouring them😤!!!

@clemmi, keep the faith!! Stick with it, maybe your energy expenditure has slowed the result on the scale, I bet there’s a few inches less of you!! The scales LIE all of the time😤!! Think of the science which doesn’t lie, perhaps your efforts next week will give you a 1kg loss, sometimes there’s just a little delay🙏!!

Well, I’m off for a cup of tea.
    Stay strong everyone, this only works if you actually DO IT ………………………….. Note to self ……………………. “Just Do IT!!!!”

“It’s going to be hard, but hard is not impossible.” Chuck Palahniuk

Sorry, my mind is not in the right state to be here anymore so I’m leaving the challenge. I wish you all the best.

@northerndawn Thank you for being such a lovely host.

Day 22 – Rural Nebraska, USA – FD500

It’s 4:15 am and I’ve been wide awake for over an hour and out of bed for a half hour. Not sure why my sleep was so interrupted, but oh well. That’s the beauty of my kids all being grown and gone, and not having a 9-5 job, is that if I’m awake in the middle of the night, I can simply go back to sleep when I want to, if I want to, and it’s all good. 😁

Dinner out last night was absolutely blissful. The food was lovely, the ambiance was lovely, the company was lovely (DH 💘), and we realized it was the first “fancy” meal out in well over a year. We’ve eaten out a handful of times in the past year, but all the kinds of meals/places where jeans and t-shirt would be acceptable clothing for the experience; there were people in very casual clothes last night, but being dressed to the nines was also in evidence. Now the interesting part will be to see how tough or easy a FD is today, not only following so much food/carbs, but also on a Friday, my usual day for celebrating the end of the week…you know, TGIF. If I can do this day okay, then I’ll know my mojo is back!

@lilymartin Have fun at your party today, and I hope you found a dress that fits and makes you feel lovely!

@litprof I have cabin fever so bad that even your work trip sounds absolutely thrilling, LOL! I hope it goes well for you!

@penz So glad your puppy is all recovered and fine! And thanks for the congratulations, but I have a sad confession. I tried. I truly tried. But I did not do a full exercise yesterday; the hours were simply too full of commitments (secretary job and piano lessons) and I didn’t pull off any but about 10 minutes. But that 10 minutes proves I tried, LOL! I’ll do it today and tomorrow, however, so I’ll still get five in this week. And I’ll hold you to that promise for the first week of February!

@daffodil2010 Have fun with your friend tonight; enchiladas sound lovely! And, as I was lying in bed, I was thinking of you standing in your grass in your bare feet, cup of tea in hand. What’s your typical temperature at that time? Right now for me it’s -6C and I can’t even imagine trying to do that. Is it warmer for you, or are you made of sterner stuff than I???

@clemmi The biggest mistake we make is thinking that weight loss simply behaves. We cut calories, the weight falls off. The weight DOES fall off…but not necessarily in the time frame we expect. Back in October, I kept stressing the importance of focusing on our actions and trusting the results will follow; when our one goal is how much weight we want to lose it’s far too easy to feel like a failure when it doesn’t come off even though we have indeed stuck to our plan. So keep your goal as doing exactly what you’ve been doing, because you have succeeded entirely, and the weight WILL come off. It will, I promise!

@i-hate-lettuce Loved “the best dressed gardener” comment, and laughed out loud–not something I should be doing at 4:40am when DH is asleep on the other side of the wall, LOL! Glad you figured out the day of the week!!! 😁🤣😂👍

@flourbaby You’re in my pocket today, and I’ve pulled you firmly onto the wagon (did you notice that strange tug just a moment ago??). You’ve got this, lady!!

Pocket List Day 21
    @litprof FD800
    @flourbaby
    @stitchincarol
    @northerndawn

Exercise 🏋️‍♀️ 30×5
    @stitchincarol

DTF 🚫🍸🍷🍺🥂
    @ccco (Dry January)
    @at (Dry until 29th)
    @stitchincarol (dry ON Friday!!!!)

Have a grand day, everyone; I imagine I’ll be back to chatter later, when this half of the world has woken up! 😁

@snowflake56 NO! We’ll miss you!! Are you okay???

Day 22 – USA/GA – NFD

Hope we all can hang in there a bit longer! Today’s weigh-in is 228.4 lbs, so I think I can declare the plateau has finally ended. Whew! Now not to go crazy over the weekend.

I haven’t talked about my obesity meter recently! (It’s a visual bar graph formula I put into Excel for each day’s weigh in). Although I didn’t have an obesity meter at the start of 2020, it was off the scales at 113%, so not just obese, but “morbidly obese.” When I reach 0%, I’ll be considered “overweight” instead of “obese” by health authorities. When I started 5:2, I was right at 100% obese. Today, I am a little over 37% obese, just three pounds away from the 1/3 mark. My hope/goal is by the end of summer to break the obesity meter and just be “overweight.” Then, of course, I’ll make an overweight meter haha

For those of you who are rechecking calories and doing the right thing, please keep on keeping on. It might take a few weeks, but things should start showing movement soon. Day by day is deceptive. Week by week is better. But I also added a month by month average tracker, and I really like how it simplifies my average monthly weight loss. Yeah, December and January were really slow for me, basically flat, but it is starting to show a slight trend downwards even in that period.

Good luck to all on the pocket lists today!

Day 22 US/DC NFD
    Good morning all. Happy to report I slept last night. YAY. But I woke to find that my pooch left a wee bit of dog vomit on my rug. Oh well. Can’t have perfection, can we. :))))
    @snowflake56 – I hope you are okay. Your post made me sad – I am feeling or reading sorrow in it. We are here for you whenever you decide to reach back out. And know we will be thinking of you while you are absent.
    @northgeorgia – you inspire me. Your spirit and clarity and openness are a gift to us all. Thank you

So wait – we’ve only (that’s one way of looking at it – only) got 9 more days. What happens then? I will miss this challenge terribly. Will it just end? Noooooo

Day 22 UK NFD.

Had a proper walk today – which with lockdown and weather has become a bit of a rarity

@nellen -Someone from the forum usually volunteers to host the next monthly challenge ( although I think @at has got lumbered with doing the spreadsheet) If no one wants to do I don’t mind doing it but I have a vague recollection that there were 2 volunteers for Jan ??? But I can’t trust my memory these days

@snowflake56 hope you are ok , and do rejoin whenever you feel like it x

Day 22 USA (Illinois) NFD

Cold sunny day here in northern Illinois. I cannot wait to get out in it to hear the snow crunch under my feet.

My part of Illinois is opening up some again, more restaurants and maybe even movie theaters? Wow. I’m anxious to get my vaccine, but we’re not on the docket yet.

@nellen – these challenges have gone on at least since 2016 when I joined @coda in May, but she said they were even around before. Fret ye not.

@snowflake56 – hope you read this and @nellen who agreed with me that your post made me sad and somewhat concerned. Check back with us, please?

Onward and downward.

Day 22 North Canton OH FD800

I was on a Zoom call yesterday with a close friend that I have not seen in a while and she texted me later to ask if I had lost weight, she said and I quote “You look amazing”. That completely made my day 😄😄😄 the scales are not budging but apparently all the fasting and strength training is paying off; and that my friends is what I call a solid win.

@daffodil2010 “restaurant” at home with OH is how my 20th year wedding anniversary is going to go. We are having fun planning a menu and figuring out what to wear. This upcoming anniversary is particularly sentimental because we separated last year and almost got a divorce. After some time apart, we decided to work things out and recommitted to each other. It has been wonderful ever since, we realized we were taking each other for granted, and allowing resentments to creep in- and stay. We learned a lot from that awful period and are doing things a little more differently. I am so thankful that we came through this test stronger.

@clemmi I understand the frustration, because the exact same thing could be said for my situation. The first time I did 5:2 (5 years ago) I lost 20 pounds in 8 weeks. The weight just fell off, and I was not even that strict. This time, I am allowing minimal room for error and I have been stuck at same weight for 4 weeks. So here is my tip: recalculate your TDEE based on your current age and goal weight, make sure you underestimate your activity level, then keep track of your inches. If you are doing this right, your inches will shrink even if the scale is not moving. You are burning fat but water weight may be clouding the picture. Also keep the big picture in mind, weight loss is not a linear progression, if you have a good system and you stick with it, you will see results over the long term.

@snowflake56 we will miss you and hope to see you again sometime in the future. Hugs from Ohio

@nellen never fear, @brightonbelle is right. And you are in for a treat because I will be hosting this lovely group in February. I am still trying to find a delightful and appropriate adjective that captures the spirit of the month-and the group. Suggestions are welcome!

Pocket List Day 22
    @litprof FD800
    @flourbaby
    @stitchincarol
    @northerndawn
    @basyjames FD800

Exercise 🏋️‍♀️ 30×5
    @stitchincarol
    @basyjames

DTF 🚫🍸🍷🍺🥂
    @ccco (Dry January)
    @at (Dry until 29th)

USA. Day 22. FD800

FlourBaby, you don’t have to worry about what we call in the states “big brother”. Big brother is not watching. We have something called MarylandReady, which also exists in D.C. and Virginia. You can sign on to get alerts from your states and nearby areas, so I signed on for these alerts. They have been coming from the Secret Service in preparation for the inauguration but now the alerts are letting me know that I can now go to D.C. and the surrounding areas, which have now been deemed safe. I am so glad all this is over. I feel so much less stress right now.

I did my weekly Friday weigh-in an have lost 3 lbs. I should celebrate but those are the same 3 lbs. I’ve lost before. I need to get off that roller coaster. Next week is already our last week of January. I can’t believe how fast time flies!! In any case, it is heartening that I had the loss and I will clamp down for the final week (push) and see where I go. I will be adding myself to the pocket list today!

Pocket List Day 22

@litprof FD800
    @flourbaby
    @stitchincarol
    @northerndawn
    @ccco

Exercise 🏋️‍♀️ 30×5
    @stitchincarol

DTF 🚫🍸🍷🍺🥂
    @ccco (Dry January)
    @at (Dry until 29th)

I hope this is the correct list because it was marked Day 21 amidst all those Day 22 posts. Nevertheless, good luck to all those both fasting and successfully completing a NFD. 🙂

USA. Day 22. FD800

Pocket List Day 22

@litprof FD800
    @flourbaby
    @stitchincarol
    @northerndawn
    @ccco
    @basyjames FD800

Exercise 🏋️‍♀️ 30×5
    @stitchincarol
    @basyjames

DTF 🚫🍸🍷🍺🥂
    @ccco (Dry January)
    @at (Dry until 29th)

I hope this time I got the pocket list right. I added back @basyjames.

Day 22 Wales 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 NFD

Friday already? Where has the week gone? Two successful FDs, back in my 5:2 rhythm of just doing FDs on Mondays and Thursdays without thinking too much about it. Clothes fitting comfortably again so I know I am slowly recovering from letting the greedy sugar dragon out of her cage for December. I just keep forgetting to log in here as I have been distracted by researching DIY haircuts. I haven’t had a haircut for almost a year and my ends are like fuzzy felt! I have got as far as making an online purchase of proper hair cutting scissors but now I am procrastinating about whether to do a safe little trim of just the very ends or be brave (or stupid?) and opt for the unicorn technique which results in a layered style. In the meantime I am spending hours watching online videos of people of varying skill cutting their own hair.

@snowflake56 hope you are OK, take care.

Friday, soon be sundown, 🍷 have a brilliant weekend everyone 🤗

thank you @ccco, our posts must have crossed 🤸‍♀️

Day 22 UK NFD

I am hoping to do a FD over the weekend as I have only done one this week.

Day 22 Minnesota, USA FD

Oh, lovely @snowflake56……I am so sad to see you leaving us at this time! I hope it wasn’t any type of failure on my part as a host! I do understand the need to step away, sometimes, in order to focus on things closer to home. Especially since you are still in maintenance. Nevertheless, you have been so supportive to everyone here and I thank you so much for your contributions, as does everyone else here on this forum! I hope you are well and stay well. I look forward to seeing you back here on the forum, sometime in the future…..when it feels right for you! Even if only to check in and say “Hello”. xxxx

Day 23, New Zealand, CD – 18:6
    Thanks to all those who welcomed me to the group! I’m gearing up to start my FD on Monday. It’s Saturday night here. Hope everyone is having a good weekend or Friday depending where you are.
    Off to finish my oolong tea ☕👋🏻

Day 23 – Lake district UK – NFD

Good morning everyone

What a fabulous day yesterday, mild, no wind, blue skies!

Skeins of geese flying North towards the mosses, must have been several hundred early on, tremendous sight. We headed out for a reasonable walk and found it was very mild, so in the afternoon I headed out onto the back rockery.
    Boots on and it wasn’t too wet or slippery, managed to do the last of the pruning that I hadn’t done before Christmas.
    Loads of bulbs coming through, Hellebores in full flower and snowdrops breaking bud!
    Felt very satisfied when I was finished. Sat later with a coffee and piece of fruit loaf, as it started towards dusk, was treated to a massive murmuration of starlings flying past, there were thousands of them, just above rooftop height of the bungalows opposite, fabulous!

This morning, cold, snow falling and still dark at 8.40am, winter weather eh!

@snowflake56 – Hope you’re OK, we’ll still be here if you feel like dropping in anytime, just take care.

Been keeping busy recently as Mrs I-H-L had surgery a couple of weeks ago and its my turn for the nurses outfit 🙂
    Luckily we’re as good as each other, she’s doing well and recovering fast, apart from putting a load through the washing machine on a bit higher heat than I should, all going really well.
    Not only am I domesticated, I’m quite a dab hand around the kitchen and meals are not a problem, so the medics have kept us both busy during lockdown one way or another.

Take care all

Day 23 – USA/GA – NFD

Weigh-in this morning: 229 lbs, and I feel really happy even though I gained a pound! I wondered why I was smirking, and when I checked my data I realized today’s the first post-NFD where I continued to weigh in the 220s! My mom’s birthday is Monday, and I think we’re celebrating this weekend; So there is a good chance I could see the 230s once more, but this is progress!

I’m probably ZBC today, but not going to hold myself to it. I’m so proud for trying to tame the hunger dragon yesterday by listening as to whether my body was really hungry or not. Lots of water and a reward at supper time for not mindlessly eating away a thousand calories late in the evening when I’m not hungry: a cup of hot chocolate with marshmallows (not as naughty as I thought, although I made it with milk instead of water: a little over 200 calories).

Have a good weekend! I’m off to the grocery store!

Day 23 – Rural Nebraska, USA – FD of some variety 😜

I am so thankful to be back to my controlled, decently disciplined self! And I really like what the scales have done: Thursday was 148.4, out to dinner that night; Friday was 150.8, FD500; this morning is again 148.4. Two days does not mean this EOD approach is going to work, but it’s certainly encouraging! I have lost and gained the same 3-5 pounds over the last six months and am ready to find an approach I can manage that will continue the downward movement!

So today is going to be a FD, but I’m still figuring out what the calories are in the soup I’m going to make so I can decide how much other stuff (bread, butter, beer) I get to have with the soup.

@fastingto58kgs Piece of trivia for you: FDs are much easier and less hunger-riddled if you haven’t had a crazy amount of carbs the day before–is this something you already know? So if you’re inclined to consider this, you may want to avoid an excess of carbs on Sunday to make Monday’s FD easier. 😉

@i-hate-lettuce Aren’t the extreme days so funny? Mild and gorgeous, then cold and snowy? Loved your descriptions! Hope Mrs IHL’s surgery wasn’t anything awful, and so glad she’s healing well.

@northgeorgia That truly is a milestone, to be 229 after an NFD! (“a NFD”??? LOL) You’re definitely making progress!

I’m going to walk with Leslie shortly, then it’s off to town to get groceries, over to church to be secretary and to practice the organ for tomorrow, then home again right as the new batch of snow arrives so I can get the pot of soup of and go back to my sewing room to work on that quilt. I actually started this quilt five or six years ago, and it feels like the project that never ends, but I truly am getting close to a finished top. Perhaps by the end of January, certainly in February! I promise that, when I actually finish the thing, my shout of joy and relief will be heard around the world! 🤣😂😁💪

Have a grand day/evening, everyone!

Day 24 NF. US/DC.
    @northgeorgia. WOW. Good for you. You should be really proud of yourself. Such happy news.
    It is windy and quite chilly here today. Think I will stay in ad read. That would be lovely. Yoga first thing this morning (I have already forgotten I even took the class :)))
    Happy weekend all.

Day 23 USA (Illinois) OMAD

Sun is shining, cold but nice to see sunshine. Doing pretty well.

Onward and downward.

Day 23 second post
    oh dear, I have been grazing all day. that’s my downfall and I had managed to avoid it all month. well – we shall see what the scales tell me tomorrow. honestly there are days when I would be best served with packing tape over my mouth. :)))

Day 24 – Lake District UK – NFD

Good morning everyone

@stichincarol – Yes, winter weather as you say can flip in an hour or two. I remember a few years ago I was on 2 -10 afternoon shift on a quick change over, shift partner and I went to the pub on the way home for a swift couple of pints. Wandered home, nice evening, not particularly cold. Got up just after 5am for the 6 – 2 morning shift, there was 18 inches of snow!
    Re Mrs I-H-L – she was in for repairs, which went very well indeed and she has recovered very quickly indeed, just still being careful not to undo the fix, so my turn to look after her!

Not as cold and icy as forecast, will give it a couple of hours and head out for a wander today.

Take care all.

Day 24 – Rural Nebraska, USA – NFD

Well, yesterday’s FD wasn’t. It wasn’t even decent. It was flat-out AWFUL. It was lots of junk, lots of nibbles, lots of out-of-control. I was shaking my head, thinking, “pride goeth before a fall!” (because I’d just celebrated that my mojo was back), but I think it wasn’t really a lack of mojo; I think it’s that I’m so conditioned to over-eating on Saturdays, that the temptation to do so was huge. Added to that was the snowstorm we were getting, which always makes me want to nibble (and why’s that??), and the end of the story was already in place.

Oh well. Today won’t be great, but it won’t be awful, and I’ll fast again tomorrow.

It’s 6:30am and I’ve been up since four, and awake even longer. This is the third–fourth??–night in a row I’ve slept so poorly. Surely the cycle will end soon! 🤞

@i-hate-lettuce That’s an amazing tale of a wild weather pattern! That had to be a jaw-dropping moment the next morning when you saw all that snow! Plus, I’ll bet you hadn’t allowed time to scoop, LOL!

Our snow ended up being really minimal, so no scooping here, but we’re supposedly getting somewhere between 4 and 9 inches on Monday. We’ll see!

A little more playing on my laptop and then I’ll get dressed and head to church; have a grand day, everyone!

Day 24 US/DC. FD
    Oh dear – yesterday was a bit of a disaster all around. @stitchincarol – you and me both. I grazed all day, right up until about 9 last night. And of course the scales told me so – up 1.2 lbs. But I knew that without a scale. So, today – an unanticipated FD. Gotta make up for it, right?
    It’s cold and chilly in DC this weekend. Surprisingly so, as we have had a really remarkable mild (weather wise at least) winter so far.
    Plan on yoga this morning, maybe a spin class this afternoon.
    Honestly, I feel pretty yuck from everything I ingested yesterday. Hey – maybe I will learn from that. I really was like a garbage disposal. Lovely image, huh?
    Have a good Sunday everyone.

Day 24 – USA/GA – NFD

I behaved OK yesterday; again eluded evening grazing because I just didn’t feel hungry but had a cup of cocoa instead LOL Just eluded the 230 mark by a few ounces and weighed in at 229 lbs this morning. Going to try to be mindful this morning and afternoon with my eating, as we’re celebrating my mother’s birthday tonight. Still expect to see the 230s tomorrow morning, but will try to keep steady until tomorrow’s FD.

One week left of the January challenge. I will hopefully meet my December goal; I doubt I’ll meet my January goal. However, it seems the stall-out is through for this round, which should give me a better picture next week about how to readjust my monthly goals in February and beyond. My next mini-milestone is 227 lbs, and my next major milestone is 225 lbs.

This 225 lb mark that I want to hit is important to me because it was when I first recognized I had a real weight issue. In 2012, I had attended a party and someone took a photo of me from the side. Now, I had seen photos in previous years where my clothes really looked like they didn’t fit, and when I visited friends in 2010, I saw how my midsection was ballooning outward in those pictures. Still, there was something different about this 2012 picture. When I think back to that party, in my mind I still had an image of a slimmer version of me standing around and enjoying myself. But the truth was there in full profile. I had to admit that I was now beyond overweight and needed to take action. I printed out the photo on a laser printer and in big letters wrote “225 LBS” to prompt me into action.

But you know, despite what people say, that doesn’t tend to motivate as much as it does demoralize. A few months ago, I did find that old printout that had become yellowed in the past ten years or so. I flipped it over and was surprised to find a chart with about ten or fifteen random dates written down. Apparently, I had a little bit of success, recording a low weight of 219 lbs about a year later in 2013. Then the weight went up and the documentation ceased. And the weight kept piling on, despite some small 5 – 15 lb. losses here and there. The 5:2 fast is the only thing that has really worked for me, so I don’t despair over plateaus and temporary setbacks.

I saved that photo from Facebook (I don’t believe in tossing out pictures) and threw the old chart into the trash. It’s hard to believe that I am only a few pounds away from that 225 lb mark. My suspicion is that in February I will dip below that weight for the first time in more than seven years. It will be more proof that I’m finally achieving what I wanted to do more than ten years ago.

Have a nice weekend, everyone, and good luck for the upcoming final January week!

@northgeorgia – you are really an inspiration on many levels. thank you

Day 24 USA (Illinois) NFD

We live awfully close to Wisconsin, and Green Bay Packers fans abound around us, so kind of rooting for them in today’s football. But our youngest daughter was at the University of Michigan when Brady played (met him once) so, does it really matter who we root for. No. Of course not.

I’m trying to do a lot of OMAD’s lately, but still keeping at maintenance and not losing. Hmm, my one meals aren’t necessarily the best. Oh well.

@northgeorgia – you ARE such an inspiration and positive person. Wonderful to read of your successes and goals.

@stitchincarol – you’ll find your way back to the wagon, I am sure. Hang in there.

Tomorrow is our 52nd anniversary, and very few restaurants are even open on Mondays, but we do have one place locally where we plan to go. IF the weather (storm approaching) isn’t too bad. I bought a brownie mix to make for DH that will make him happy no matter what.

Onward and downward.

Day 25, FD, Aus

FD!! I thought of you last night @stitchincarol, and decided I WILL do a FD today. And at least you tried, which is all one can really ask! My resolve was also strengthened when I looked in the mirror and thought I just look old and fat. A little voice said to me ‘yes, but you can do something about one of those.’ Too true. I can’t reverse time but I can reverse weight gain.

I echo everyone’s comments, @snowflake56 – stay well and come back when you’re ready. You’ll walk into open arms.

Feast Free February, perhaps, @basyjames? Or maybe that’s putting the emphasis on the wrong thing… Fabulous Fasters?

The unicorn technique, @missybear? I cut my OH’s hair on the weekend with clippers – scariest thing I’ve done in years but it turned out ok. At least he felt he could go to work without having to hide! You-tube was my friend too. Good luck!

Thinking of you across the ditch today @fastingto58kgs – you can do it!

Thanks @Ihatelettuce – not only is this forum supportive but it’s informative. I had to look it up as I did not know that geese in flight are called a skein. Thanks! Google tells me that the word applies to flying ducks too but when they are in the water, they are called a paddling. Isn’t that perfect!

Day 24 US/DC FD
    have succeeded so far making this a FD. now to just stay away from the food.
    Is it too early to just go to bed. :))))

Day 25, New Zealand. FD – 16:8
    Fasting today. Enjoying a coffee while colleagues eat their lunch 😂 half way there

Day 25 country west Australia FD
    @stitchincarol sadly I did NOT find a dress that fitted which did not make me look like an overstuffed round cushion. I also would have had to stand all day as they were so tight around my middle sitting would have been out of the question!! So pink slacks with a pretty top had to suffice.🙄
    As with @NorthGerogia, I thought I looked reasonable – oh how our eyes deceive us- until someone took a photo of our family in early December. I wondered who the fat ( yes, sadly FAT) lady on the end was. And it was ME!! 😳😲
    I couldn’t believe I was so overweight and had not really noticed it before.
    They say the camera doesn’t lie – gulp.
    That was really a catalyst for me to get serious again for doing 5:2 sensibly. Because it is not only the weight I am worried about but the health issues that come with being overweight.
    I really do NOT want to end up with diabetes ( family history of) , high blood pressure etc so am determined that I will shift the weight and keep it off. Which I vaguely recall is what I said way back in 2017.
    @i-hate-lettuce, had a bit of a chuckle imagining you in a nurse’s uniform with a fetching nurse’s cap.
    And I loved your description of Mrs I-H-L being ‘ in for repairs’!
    @northgeorgia you are doing so well being in the 220s. May it continue.
    @basyjames Congratulations! so glad to hear you are celebrating your 20th wedding anniversary . 💐Relationships are so tricky.
    Re celebrating at home, during strict Covid measures in June last year our family had a kind of ‘ Masterchef Challenge’ or ‘ My Kitchen Rules’. .
    We had 2 couples staying here so each couple had to prepare a course, decorate the dining room, choose the drinks etc.
    It was fabulous. Everyone went to a lot of trouble with meals , dressing up etc. At the end everyone had to judge and score the meals, decoration, theme etc.
    I didn’t think we deserved to come third !! but given that one couple were event stylists …..! It was such tremendous fun that we repeated it later in the year.
    @snowflake56, your post sounded so sad. AS others have said we are all here for you and for when you are ready to return. You can always lurk and just read a few posts when you feel up to it if that helps. Thoughts and prayers with you.
    Tomorrow is Australia Day here so will be off to breakfast in the park at 6am. Definitely a/an NFD then.🇦🇺

Day 25 – Ireland 🇮🇪 – FD

Quick check in. Have a great day everyone lets do this.

Day 25 France FD800

Quick check in, too. Busy day ahead in the garden. Sunshine! Yes, let’s do it.

Day 25 – Lake District UK – FD

Good morning everyone

More snow this morning, we rarely get any but this is third lot recently, someone somewhere is getting a lot if we’re getting some!

@penz – Its funny the things you pick up ie skein of geese, it depends where in the world you live sometimes. Great for quiz answers if they stick! We have a large Heronry in the woods by the estuary, the collective for Herons is a siege or a sedge, there can be a couple of dozen fishing the estuary when they’re nesting feeding young.

@lilymartin – Yes Mrs I-H-L had to have a patch to repair a previous Op hence ‘repairs’ remark. She’s doing incredibly well, we’re both quite strong both in character and constitution. We had quite a long walk yesterday knowing it was going to be cold/icy today. We’ve kept saying we’ll slouch on the settee and watch a film one afternoon when the weathers bad …. It’s never happened yet so become a standing joke!

Take care all

Pocket list for Day 25
    @penz
    @fastingto58kg
    @lilymartin
    @daffodil2010
    @clemmi
    @i-hate-lettuce

Day 25 – USA/GA – FD

Weigh-in this morning: 230 lbs. I expected it, as we celebrated my mother’s birthday last night (it’s actually today, but everyone has a busy Monday). Going to go back to a standard 5:2 this week, starting with today as a FD. The 230 is a great starting point, as it means a 220ish weight is most likely tomorrow!

I’m going to keep the 231 link on my paper Christmas chain, but I’m headed to my closet now to rip off the 233 and 232 links. Haven’t seen those numbers in more than a week, so I feel confident I’m in 220-land! Will I see 227 or lower this week? Maybe? Haha

We’re in the final stretch for January. Good luck to everyone on the pocket lists today, and happy NOT eating 🙂

Pocket list for Day 25
    @penz
    @fastingto58kg
    @lilymartin
    @daffodil2010
    @clemmi
    @i-hate-lettuce
    @northgeorgia

ZBC
    @northgeorgia

Day 19 CD
    Day 20 CD
    Day 21 FD
    Day 22 NFD
    Day 23 NFD
    Day 24 NFD
    Day 25 Oxfordshire, UK – CD
    Goodness, hadn’t realised it was nearly a week since I last posted.
    Anyway, MiL has been discharged from hospital and now resides in a care home about 20 miles away. This is meant to be a stepping stone before returning to her flat. DH still can’t visit due to Covid restrictions but has dropped off clothes, etc. and saw her through the window. Hospital managed to lose both her hearing aids during her stay so new ones are on order.
    I have been keeping up with my exercise regime and DTF, but I haven’t really been fasting too well, so I’m hoping for a push this last week.
    Had a lovely walk Saturday due to the sunshine and yesterday through the snow, it’s a bit more slippery today but still enjoyable.
    Will catch up with posts later.
    Have a good day.

Pocket list for Day 25
    @penz
    @fastingto58kg
    @lilymartin
    @daffodil2010
    @clemmi
    @i-hate-lettuce
    @northgeorgia

ZBC
    @northgeorgia

Viewing 50 posts - 451 through 500 (of 612 total)

You must be logged in to reply.