Is it Ok to miss breakfast and have lunch and dinner

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Welcome to The Fast Diet and Exercise forums
Is it Ok to miss breakfast and have lunch and dinner

This topic contains 9 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Pollypenny 5 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• Hi there,

I am just about to start the 5:2 diet and wanted to know whether it is OK to eat at lunchtime and then at dinner? This way I would be fasting for 16hours after dinner albeit 8hrs of this would be whilst asleep. Is this a good practise or not recommended? I have always found breakfast difficult to stomach despite being told it is the most important meal of the day on many occasion. In fact in my current lifestyle I almost never eat beeakfast and wait until lunch – is this a poor health choice? Any ideas/ advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

Pottersaurus

Hi,

I rarely eat breakfast as I’m not usually hungry first thing and like you, I find it difficult to stomach.
    I eat lunch and dinner on non FDs and dinner only on FDs.
    There are many who follow 16:8 and the majority eat lunch and dinner. Children need breakfast and those who do manual work probably do better if they’ve eaten something but breakfast isn’t essential and in my opinion it’s madness to force myself to eat when I’m not hungry and it makes me nauseous to do so.

We’ve been indoctrinated to believe that it is bad for us not to eat breakfast but that simply isn’t true. Some people find it difficult to function if they don’t eat first thing but it obviously works for you.

Thank you this is good to know.

Personally I believe it is far better to skip supper and have breakfast and lunch, but it tends to be anti-social. The reason is we generally produce more insulin when eating later in the day. If you want to eat more with out gaining fat a refined sugar free breakfast is one way to go. I’ve even got to the point where I can eat unsweetened oatmeal itself, although I normally don’t do that.

Many people do skip breakfast though and I haven’t heard of it killing anyone. It is just that supper is probably even less necessary than breakfast from a nutritional standpoint. It is just people like to sit down and eat together and that typically is harder to do in the morning.

Absolutely, I never have breakfast now, just two or three coffees. We realised that we were eating by the clock not hunger or need. We have ‘ breakfast’ around 1pm then main meal around 6.30.

We have continued to live this way, maintaining on 16:8.

Do what works for you! Good luck with Fasting.

It is fine to skip breakfast. It is good for your gut biome to reduce the time period in which you eat. Dykask’s thoughts on insulin may well be right, but breakfast is the easiest and most convenient meal to miss, so that is the one most of us chose. However you will find that the world is full of people who will tell you that “breakfast is the most important meal” and that skipping it is dangerous. Ignore them.

To add to penguin’s words, most of the surveys saying that breakfast is most important were sponsored by cereal manufacturers.

While skipping a meal later in the day might be somewhat better from a theoretical biochemical viewpoint for many people it is harder to stop eating than it is to not to eat at all. If I eat breakfast I am hungry all day and would find skipping later meals exceedingly difficult, whereas skipping breakfast is easy. In fact I don’t have lunch either, but generally eat as much as I want (but of the right foods) in the late afternoon and evening and have now been a healthy weight for over a year having lost over a hundred pounds so it certainly worked. And I feel twenty years younger and have far more energy so it is safe to say it had no ill effects.

That’s excellent, fatrabbit! So true, once I eat I seem to wake the hunger dragon. Two or three coffees does for me.

The science behind IF does depend on the pancreas having a rest and insulin control. It’s well worth reading michael’s original book.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply.