Introduction to me, please help me understand 5:2, still waiting for my books

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Different approaches to intermittent fasting
Introduction to me, please help me understand 5:2, still waiting for my books

This topic contains 1 reply, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  MrsGollum 6 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• Hello. I am MrsGollum, lol. Thought of this name, as even when very skinny and underweight, I would still have a fattish tummy and very skinny legs and arms. I am now 40, a mummy of twin toddlers, and I have more or less a stone overweight. I watched recently the documentary that kickstarted this book/forum, and for the first time in my life, I am excited to start intermittent fasting. I have ordered the book on an audio cd (as I have little time and energy to read), and also the recipe cookbook which I should receive on Friday. I have heard the word intermittent fasting a few times in the past 12 months, but never took any interest, as I always thought fasting was a bad idea, especially for me, as I get so grouchy and low when I don’t eat. I have evidence of inflammation in the body, and I think I’m rapidly approaching the age when I could easily get type 2 diabetes and high blood pressure, as most of my family have, but as a new mummy, I do want to have the best health possible. And I have had cholesterol now since my late twenties, not a lot, not sure of exact number now, but over what I should have. This was the same when underweight, so I am also hoping this diet will help me with this.

So my question is, after reading info on this page, I still don’t 100% understand the fasting bit. From what I can make out, there are 2 days a week, when the calories are restricted to 800 calories (I read that Michael Mosley has now said we can have this instead of the 500/600 calories he said initially), and also there are times when we are not eating anything at all, and our body goes into repair mode. So if Tuesday and Friday are my fasting days, on Monday night, I would try to eat supper early, say 7 pm. And then eat again on Tuesday at say 9 am, and have a maybe 400 calorie breakfast. And then I would fast until maybe 9 at night, where I would eat the remaining 400 calories. I would then wake up on Wednesday and eat “normally”. And then again the same on Friday, as on Tuesday. Is this right. I know there are many ways of doing it, but would this way be “Okay” ? Thank you for any help you can give me. I know it must be simple to understand, but I just find it hard to grasp.

HI Gollum :
    Sounds like you are doing it just right.
    I too got confused at first about ” how long is a fast day ”.
    If you stop eating on a Monday evening and start again on a Wednesday morning that is a 36 hour fast. During that period if you eat 600 to 800 calories that should be in line with the diet.

Thank you! I haven’t actually done anything yet, trying to understand it and plan before I start X

Hi Mrs and welcome:

This thread contains most of the information you need to get started and succeed on 5:2: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

Good Luck!

thank you simcoeluv, I’ll take a look!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply.