Introducing myself

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Pippa2 10 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

• Hi, I’m a 63 year old grandmother from Sydney, Australia, and I started this 5:2 diet just before Easter – not a good time to start, especially since we were going away for Easter. Then I got the flu and so I started again about 5-6 weeks ago.
    I’ve gone from about 70 kg to about 67 kg since starting.

Historically my highest weight was in the range of 84 kg when I was in my early 50s and going through menopause. Since menopause I have gradually lost weight – but very slowly. It’s been around 70-74 kg for almost 3 years now.

I started low carb about 2 years ago, and lost a little weight. I was very impressed by the fact that the amount of pain and swelling in my arthritic fingers decreased dramatically when I cut out bread, pasta, and other white starchy foods. And so I’m pretty sold on the low carb way of eating even though my weight loss with it hasn’t been great. I still believe there is a lot of value in eating low carb – not super low carb, like Atkins, but sensible low carb with some fruit and lots of vegetables, and low fat proteins including plenty of fish.

My biggest health problem is arthritis. I’ve had major back surgery, and have bad knees as well as hands and am not looking forward to being crippled with it like many of my relatives. So, I’m looking to a) lose weight and b) reduce the general inflammation in my body, especially my joints.

I’m also terrified of dementia and Alzheimers so am impressed by the research into fasting and the “repair” of brain cells. I’d hate to be a burden on my children as I go into old age.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply.