Ileostomists and the fast diet

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Mr Nostalgia 7 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• I have an ileostomy (stoma) which means that my food doesn’t go through my colon but exits via a stoma on my abdomen Is there any contra-indication about someone with this condition using the fast diet?

@ninaanne: my husband, daughter and I are following the diet. My husband has an ileostomy too. We had a talk with our doctor first and he said he didn’t have a problem with this diet. We are all on our second day now. On the fast day you only have less in your ileo pouch ; )
    It might be different for you, because no ileostomy is the same. I would ask my doctor if I were you.

I love it when people ‘find’ each other on this site – when question meets answer. All best wishes to you both, Monique and ninaanne, and I hope the 5:2 approach works really well for you both (and the other members of the Monique family).

@jeanius: Uptil now all goes well. We feel really good. Monday we had our second day and all went well ; ) Thank you very much !!

Thanks for your post Monique. I’ve only just come back on this site, having decided to have a go at the Fast Diet. I have now been doing it for a couple of months and have lost some weight. I’m finding it more difficult now than when I started but am continuing because I need to lose some weight. I was delighted to learn this week that my total cholesterol is much reduced (from nearly 6 to 4.92) so this has obviously had a benefit for me. You’re right about having less in the pouch. I do find I can’t manage on just water in the two twelve hour fasts that I do, so have started to have a low cal drink which seems to be better for me. I think you have to listen to your body and adapt to what you feel you need. I fast diet on Mondays and Thursdays.

I like this diet and am doing quite well. However, I have an ileostomy (almost 20 years now) and I am finding that I suffer loose stools on fast days and often leak from my pouch because of it. I would be grateful for any help from ileostomists also on the diet who have found ways to avoid this problem. Taking a few extra loperamide and using Absorbagel in my pouch isn’t working. Many thanks.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply.