If your clothes are looser but the scales are the same, read on

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Benefits and side effects
If your clothes are looser but the scales are the same, read on

This topic contains 3,750 replies, has 216 voices, and was last updated by  annette52 2 weeks, 1 day ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 2,901 through 2,950 (of 3,800 total)

• Cinderella-I did feel brave and then had a little panic with the number on the scales, but then I reminded myself that the chocolates, mince pies, crisps, cheese straws and Christmas pudding had all been demolished so that it was going to be easier in the coming weeks. I do struggle on a FD when it is winter though, but find it far easier when I am home and can occupy myself rather than negotiate a lunch that I have no control of. We only get half and hour and it is the one social part of the day, so I really don’t want to eat alone.

I am equally exasperated too with the advice being given. No one has a clue it seems and so called experts are still advising low fat/high carb with little thought to sugar. If I had the information from Lustig and Fung when my kids were young then I wouldn’t have fed them so much pasta/rice/bread/potatoes in an effort to fill them up. I would have made different choices for them.

I am certain that less of those 4 carbs and some fasting is the way to go. However, the sugar and diet industry are not going to want the population to become slimmer by avoiding their products. Does rather smack of the positive advertising that cigarettes used to have and the fight that the tobacco industry put up when health problems became known.

I have no doubt that sugar is something that I will have to try and avoid for the most part for the rest of my life. I know that it converts to fat, I can see it and feel it when I wear my jeans. I have no doubt that it drives the need for more and more. I am frightened to think how many mountains of sugar I have consumed so far.

My boy who has been avoiding those 4 carbs has lost, I would guess somewhere in the region of 3 stone and still shrinking. My friend of the 5 stone loss has also avoided them and has fasted too. We can’t all be wrong, but we aren’t going to make lots of money for anyone else buy not buying the sweet stuff.

I think that a lump of cheddar or some fruit as a snack would be the best option. I like raw carrots and peas in pods when they are in season, which of course are sweet, but don’t send me head first into anything sugary.

I have weighed myself every day to see if there was a difference. I could gain and lose 10 lb in a day, which is why I prefer to use that number in conjunction with my skinny jeans and the tape measure.

Onwards and downwards fast friends.

I have not started January with as much enthusiasm for fasting as I expected. The tape measure today shows a small increase around the widest part of my body, but only by quarter of an inch, I’m hoping by next weekend that will have gone. I am slowly getting rid of Christmas food, although a large amount of Christmas fruit cake is left, I have wrapped a large chunk in foil and put it in the back of the larder for a few months to avoid temptation!
    We went to see our team play in the FA Cup today, daughter took some snacks (chocolate) but I was craving a banana – I see this as a good sign, that I am ready to get back on the straight and narrow!!
    I have been grocery shopping (did not buy any biscuits!!) I have bought food for healthier meals than we have been eating of late. I made a big pan of vegetable soup this morning and have portioned it up ready for work, put a couple of days in the fridge, the rest into the freezer. Back to work tomorrow so I feel like the holidays really are over now.
    Wishing you all a happy and healthy 2018, good luck on the downwards journey!!

Hello Iona,
    In my own experience, the thought of fasting is far worse than actually doing it. I am cooking a roast this evening and then plan to ditch breakfast, aim for a light lunch at work and then light dinner. I am back to work tomorrow too. It is an inset day and I doubt that there will be any salad options either Monday or Tuesday until the cherubs are back on Wednesday. For my lunch today I have 2 salmon fillets that I will cook, 1 I will have with salad and the other will go into the fridge for my dinner tomorrow evening cold with salad. So that whatever I end up with for lunch, at least I know that dinner is a positive choice!

I dare not buy/make Christmas Cake or have it in the house. I learnt a few years ago when I just kept eating it, plus 2 of my chaps both like it and both need to shrink, so for all of us, I don’t have it. They never asked either and were quite happy with the mince pies, although next year I will not make them(I ate more than I should) and will buy less too.

I think that I might put the scales/tape measure into retirement for 4 weeks and just do 2 days a week FD and eating as best I can for the NFD and see what the results are in 4 weeks. My challenge is going to be no biscuits or puddings at work-I have done it before for quite a while and then caved in. This time I am giving myself the goal of half term. That seems rather more manageable than forever!

Annette52,
    I’m very well – sorted so much out recently – it’s like I’m brand new! But just, hopefully for not much longer, larger.

First Sunday fast successful.
    Fasting on Monday is not the best way to start a week and in all probability, for me, a Friday fast is going to fail – so Sun; Tue; Thu should work better.

Hi snedger,
    I find it quite cathartic to sort things out, it somehow make me feel lighter. Baby steps towards the not longer, larger.

I woke at 4.30 am and it was very chilly, skipped breakfast for the FD and then had the one option that was lunch-chicken with wild rice, which was lovely. One bite of a cardboard-like naan was all I needed to ditch that. Managed to ignore both biscuits and pudding-very pleased as I wean myself off the white stuff again. Such a ‘raw’ day, freezing cold, stopped into the supermarket to buy some fruit, looked at the chocolate-put it back on the shelf. Feeling proud.

I might try M/W/F this week. I haven’t ever managed that, but it might be worth a try.

Finally had a good eating day. From 7pm yesterday until 7pm today I consumed a bowl of greek yogurt for breakfast, raw vegetable bowl at lunch(no dressing) with banana for dessert. then at 7.30pm Dinner was stir fry chicken/veg and noodles. No dessert, no snacks or nibbles, no alcohol, 15,000+ steps on the Fitbit, feeling pretty pleased about that!!

Hi Iona,
    Well done! Day 3 of no biscuits or puddings at work and I am feeling powerful!
    Just 2 more days to go then it is a whole week, just 5 to go until half term which is my goal.

Well done on your successes everyone! Just keep visualising the sweet treats with red devil horns on, it’s just those big corporations trying to take our money!

I went to Drs today as on day 13 after flu and my chest feels so wheezy. It’s not infected so I’ve been given an inhaler to open my airways. I’ve strained the muscles in my ribs coughing and it’s agony. Going to find some frozen peas now.

I’m not worrying about food at the moment as just glad to still be (half) alive!! We take our health for granted and all that….

Hi Cinderella,

Hope that you found the frozen peas and you are feeling a little better today. Quite right how much we value health when we don’t feel on top form.

I have just completed another FD-more like 800 than 500, but my focus is on a period of fasting and avoiding the puddings and biscuits. Day 4 complete, just 1 more to go and that is a whole week.

It is my birthday on Monday and there will be cake, perhaps a meal out or a ready meal in-haven’t decided yet. I am planning a weigh/measure/clothes try on over the weekend first!

I have decided on a ready meal today and Monday as a treat. Just added up the calories and no wonder we are getting fatter as a nation!

I had my breakfast and was hungry when I was out and about this lunchtime, but I held off until I got home and had some chicken, avocado and tomatoes. The problem was that I also bought a packet of coconut macaroons for my birthday and then I ate them at 3pm and then I was hungry, managed to hold off until 6pm to eat the first of my ready meals. The coconut macaroons that I scoffed not only had 18g sugar each 18×6=108g sugar(so 4 .5 days of maximum sugar!!!) but also 141 calories each=846. My ready meal came in at 1114 calories!!! All in all I have probably consumed twice in terms of calories than I should have done. Lesson learned.

Birthday=cake out with a friend, then ready meal followed by ice cream. Tuesday will be a FD!! I think I will leave any measuring/weighing until next weekend.

My Birthday has been a complete nightmare in terms of wrecking my resolve on the avoiding sugar front. On the plus side, I have quite good for the rest of the week, but did cave in for pudding yesterday. I didn’t need it or particularly enjoy it.

I have completed several 24 hour fasts in the past and I think I need to fit a few more in soon to try and reduce the Birthday damage. My current plan is to skip breakfast and lunch and then eat dinner this evening.

My scales need a new battery, so I have no idea about the numbers, but my jeans are tight. Friends are putting together a Birthday dinner for me and another of our group soon, which is lovely but I have no idea of what we will be eating, and there will not be a choice either. So I think I will just enjoy it and get back into the groove afterwards.

I have given a colleague my copy of the 5:2, so I am hoping that he will read and then do it. Another colleague mentioned that she wanted to lose weight, so I told her about this WOL and about Lustig and Fung. It will be interesting to see what they decide to do.

Happy unbirthday Annette! Hard on the waistline having a birthday after Christmas. You have the tools Annette so don’t worry.

I have been eating sweet stuff lately too, nice multi coloured layer cake in M&S the other day, I did share with my sister though. My son has managed to catch another bad cold/flu, very hot and cold. My Mum brought treats round for him but he is refusing all sweet stuff. So husband and I had to eat them as they had expiry dates! I’m nearly better but ribs still hurt.

Interestingly, since I’ve not been fasting at work (owing to being ill) and over Christmas, I have noticed that I can easily hoover up a meal that’s a bit too big. Before I would have left it. So perhaps it does have an effect on stomach capacity. Also I’m sure I’m more snacky now, perhaps because of sugar or having got used to more food.

I’m cooking Tom Kerridge’s one layer lasagne tonight. Watched his Loose Weight for Good tv programme. Good but all about calories. There are also some Trust Me I’m a Doctor programmes on iPlayer. It concluded that coconut oil was a good cooking oil for health.

Hi Annette – belated birthday wishes to you, sorry to hear you had a nightmare! Have you got any of your colleagues on board with this WOL yet?
    Cinderella – hope you have recovered, the flu bug has been particularly nasty this year, luckily I have avoided it so far but hubby took weeks to recover.
    I had a really good week last week, no fast days but counted calories of every morsel I ate. It certainly makes you think twice. Had a bit of a blip at the weekend, as often happens, but feeling ready to get back on track.
    I’ve just watched the first Tom K weight loss programme but wasn’t very interested in the menus, just didn’t appeal to me, I always find he has a long list of ingredients and I hate cooking at the best of times so something simple works better for me. A big batch of spicy vegetable soup is planned which makes easy lunches from the freezer to take to work.
    Have a good week all, chat soon.

Hello Everyone,
    Thanks for the birthday wishes.
    My Birthday is my 5 year anniversary from when I started this WOL! Then there were just a couple of threads and you could keep up with all of them until it all took off.

I did succumb to pudding on Friday and although it was lovely, I really didn’t need it and felt stuffed afterwards. Today, back to the no biscuit/pudding rule which was tricky as it was sticky toffee pudding-one of my favourites. I had 2 plums instead and despite lunch being a disappointment I still didn’t dip into the biscuits. Feeling good about that. I regard my sugar addiction as one day at a time-I rarely drink.

I heard in an interview that when TK was asked if he ate these foods in his new programme to lose weight, he said that he didn’t-he gave up carbs and booze. I have a dear friend that is 10 stone overweight and loves him, so if he can encourage her to cook meals without those carbs then I am all for it. If it will help those folk to lose weight and feel in control when they have felt helpless about their weight gain, then perhaps that is a success and could give them the confidence to try this WOL.

Its early days yet for my colleagues. But I hope that they will look at Fung and Lustig and give this WOL a try, but they are adults. One of them was visibly shocked when I mentioned casually that I used to be 3 stone heavier and that I have kept it off/changed shape/changed what I eat and feel better.

Enjoy the soup Lori and I hope that you feel better soon Cinderella-step away from the sweet stuff!

Hi everyone, I’ve had a few hiccups over my birthday weekend but back on track on this gloomy Monday. Bit short on steps today but will take a stroll with the puppy before bed. I’ve only had myself to feed today so I’ve had a few small meals throughout the day and its worked well. But back to regular family meals tomorrow and hopefully a FD on Wednesday.
    Hope you are all doing ok???

Hi Lori,
    I hope that you had a lovely Birthday weekend.

I am not doing so well. I am back studying and essay deadlines are having a negative effect, there is fruit but also cheese straws and chocolate. Last time I studied, I was scoffing fresh homemade cake, so this is a definite improvement!

The essay deadline is looming, then half term next week. It will be great to have a week off and to get back to 2 FD. I can also get work done for the next essay which will help on the stress.

I have bought myself some light cotton trousers in the sale for the summer, but they would look better with a little less tummy, so that is my incentive.

Hello Everyone,
    I tried to buy a ready meal to celebrate the dispatch of the essay but I found that none of them appealed, so that was quiche, coleslaw and cherry tomatoes for tea. I have also found that some of the sweet treats consumed during the high stress, I didn’t enjoy and will not have them again. So, its not been a complete disaster by any means.

So, back to fasting again this week. The plan today is to skip breakfast, an omelette for lunch and homemade soup for dinner and then repeat later in the week.

How is everyone getting on?

Hi everyone. Just the words ‘light cotton trousers’ is food for thought! I quite like hiding in winter clothes. I’ve been eating more over my half term holiday. I’m over the flu although my son and I both look pale, the rib muscle problem lasted weeks. Need to firm up the tummy area but haven’t been able to do any exercises until now.

I’ve missed a few breakfasts, I seem more likely to seek out mid morning biscuits at work if I’ve had breakfast strangely. I had to do one long fast day as had a fasting blood test. The nurse said I’d never manage it until 4.30pm, so I told her about the FD. The optician noticed a ring at the top of my iris so I’m getting my cholesterol checked. Fingers crossed.

Need to get husband slimmed down for holiday in the summer so going to re-read some of my books. I think I ought to start fasting again a couple of days a week. I think it does reduce my appetite.

New job is going well, very nice colleagues. Kids have troubles though so there is plenty going on. I’m glad to be out of the stress of my last role, it will take a while for the adjustment to sink in. Looking forward to Spring and gardening.

Start visualising our summer wardrobes ladies!

Hi Cinderella,
    You have had a tough time, but glad to hear that you are on the mend. Good luck with the cholesterol results-fingers crossed. Glad to hear that the new job is going well, less stress will certainly help with trimming the body. I too can’t wait to get out into the garden. My SAD light isn’t on much now and I have no idea whether the Vitamin D3 spray is having any effect, but I haven’t been ill this winter and loads of work colleagues have(I work in a senior school) so is that a coincidence?

I did laugh at your comment about the trousers. For years I have made most of my clothes purchases in charity shops as my shape changed and I shrunk. However, My shape isn’t going to change very much in the future so I have been indulging in some on line shopping in the sales. It started in the summer when I admired a work colleagues trousers so I bought some very jolly trousers at a very good price in the sale and wore them all over the summer and then into the winter. Then I bought some more trousers that are cotton velvet and are warm for the chilly winter days. I was always a dress wearer for work with jeans at the weekend but due to planter fasciitis striking last summer, heels have not been an option but sturdy shoes/boots with a rigid insole have. Which means that trousers have been a good option, and no more holes in tights and pockets!

I have also been through my clothes with a gimlet eye and have discarded those things that I bought but never wear which will be off to the charity shop. I am also trying to make my clothes purchase ‘smart’ so that I have tops that go with all the bottoms that I will keep. The light cotton trousers were a huge bargain and lovely quality in rather muted shades that I would not normally buy but I will team them with stronger coloured tops that I already own and they should be fine for hot summer days and I could wear them to work too.

I am just not sure that I can trim much off the tummy, I think that it is the wreckage of having babies but I will fast 2 days a week and see what happens. I used to think that I was a good candidate for a tummy tuck but doing the 5:2 has certainly eliminated the droopy tummy which I thought was impossible. I am happy with the rest of my body but less tummy would be wonderful.

Went out with friends yesterday for a walk in the chilly sunshine and a pub lunch. I had fish and chips, ice cream and then promptly bought myself some chocolate when I was at the shops later for some milk. I have no doubt that eating the sweet stuff drives the desire for more just as Lustig explains. I just need to avoid it and for me, I might hang it all on Lent. After yesterday I am fasting until lunch and then might try just having lunch and skipping dinner too.

I have been making very very slow progress on the scale but the tape measure round my tummy has steadfastly refused to budge! I completely agree that a little bit of sweet stuff sets of the demons who demand more. Avoiding altogether is now my strategy too. Although I’m happy with the slow progress I would like to buy clothes in a smaller size this summer, almost got my belt in the next hole!
    Hope you are all staying warm and safe in this awful weather, we have loads of snow here.

I dare not go anywhere near a tape measure or scales Iona. I have gone slightly bonkers and both the odd pudding, lots of biscuits at work and chocolate sneaking into my handbag on the walk home from work have been happening. No idea why or what has happened but there it is. My current excuse is the menopause!

The weather has been foul and the snow is finally starting to melt-hurray. Perhaps boredom and the desire to treat myself? No idea. I do know that the sweet stuff makes me want more and I am finding that the thought of it is often rather better than the reality.

Thank goodness I eat good food the rest of the time and so I am y=trying not to be negative and gloomy about where I am now. It achieves very little apart from driving me towards the sweet stuff.

The plan next week is to skip breakfast on Monday and Thursday and to make the best choices that I can for lunch on those days, which either gives me an option for food later or it doesn’t. I think getting back to FD is the first step.

Hello everyone. It must be the season, I’ve gone slightly bonkers too! I did brave the tape measure and there’s half an inch on everywhere. Peri menopause could be my excuse for the flab below my bra area. It’s probably just too much sugar. An Easter goody appeared on my desk nearly every day last week, and end of term cakes. Agree with you Annette that sweet stuff doesn’t really deliver, but I still eat it.

I’ve just been watching a Netflix series about bariatric surgery in NZ. Very sad at lack of any knowledge of vegetables, 35 year olds who don’t know what a red cabbage is or a courgette. Interestingly the lady with the worst fatty liver when they looked inside her was the lady addicted to chocolate and cakes, sugar. She wasn’t the biggest on the outside.

We have a beach holiday in August so I’m hoping to get my husband to join me on the Michael Mosley 8 week blood sugar diet, 800 cals a day. I might try it for a week, then have a break but not go mad, then another week and so on. We will have to do some decorating again to distract us! He has loads to lose but he doesn’t realise quite how much which is probably for the best.

Happy Easter, don’t go too mad on the chocolate.

Hi cinderella,
    Lovely to hear from you.
    I do think that Lustig and Fung are right, sugar just makes you fat.
    When I started this I was 52 and have just had my 57th birthday. I have a waist which is one of my proudest achievements when my body shape was that of a Buddha! I look at women who are ‘of a certain age’ and there are an awful lot of them who are very overweight. Is that because of the ‘middle age spread’ that is an accepted thing that happens to bodies and it can’t be changed? Or is it because of too much sugar when fat has been vilified for years while we have all been scoffing pasta, rice, potatoes and bread?
    My body shape is one that I can maintain by eating the foods that I like and make me feel good, which happen to not include pasta, rice, bread or potatoes for the majority of the time. I also happen to think that they are part of the key to losing inches. My son, who was very overweight and has been shrinking steadily doesn’t eat rice/pasta or potatoes very often anymore.
    Perhaps it might be an idea to change what you eat and ditching those carbs as a starting point? If your husband has loads to lose that might be a way to change his carb consumption and also shrinking him so that he can see in quite a short time that it is having an impact on his body shape/size?
    My very overweight friend stopped eating breakfast and those carbs and has lost 4 stone. The scales didn’t move at first but her clothes were hanging off her in a short time.
    My tactic was to talk to my son about the goal of a waist that was no more than 37 inches for a man which at the time he was wearing XXL clothes seemed quite impossible. He has some inches to lose but they are now on his tummy, not anywhere else, so I am delighted.
    We had a roast dinner and chocolate eggs yesterday. I have one left that was given to me from work, which is lovely but is about 80g of sugar! I plan to share it out amongst the 4 of us!!
    I find that the tape measure with the clothes is a very accurate assessment of how things are going and reflects what I have been eating. Onwards and downwards fast friends!

Easter Egg Update-posh egg from work, just not enjoying it, something about the taste. Still managed to scoff a third of it so removed it from my presence and put it in my youngest sons room for him later(he has been eyeing it up). I think that next year, I will by myself a plant instead!

Hi there,

I’ve done the FD before, and lost weight, i.e 2016, but have recently piled it back on again. I’m having a tough menopause which makes me feel really tired 🙁 and for the first time in my life have a belly. I did the Run Every day sponsored event for January, which was great but think it wore me out! Need to lose 20 Ib! I’m a veggy and don’t eat fish, which I might have to re-think if the tiredness continues.

starting FD tomorrow, thanks for the inspirational stories

Tango xx

Hello Tango,
    Have you had your Thyroxine levels checked? Alarm bells went off(ex nurse) when you said that you had piled on the weight and was feeling very tired. Its just a blood test and if your levels are low its just medication to correct it.

Have a chat with your GP about the menopause, there may well be lots of things that you can try to see what works for you. I haven’t had a hot flush but sleep patterns have been affected which means that some times I wake early in the morning.

I have wondered if the linseed/sesame/pumpkin/sunflower seeds which are part of my breakfast have any impact on the lack of hot flushes(I mix about 100g of each with about 500g of Jumbo porridge oats and 200g chopped almonds-mix with some oil/honey and bake for half an hour). My diet has changed completely, partly through circumstances and partly as a result of the 5:2.

Let me know how you get on Tango.

Well ladies, on Monday evening I looked in the mirror at my body and was shocked at how chubby I looked. My waist had all but disappeared 😞. Those Easter eggs had definitely caught up with me. I was also eating constantly. I was so cross that I decided to fast next day and not eat until I got home from work, 5pm, and stick to savoury. It went okay so I’ve done the same on Tues, Weds, Thurs and will do today too.

Interestingly last night after an early dinner I had no desire to snack at all, the feeling just wasn’t there. So did the fasting do that or the no sugar or both? Fascinating. I’ll see if I feel that way tonight too.

Got out in the garden also which was great.

On the plus side Cinderella, you can re-gain your waist. You know that, you have the evidence.

There is no doubt in my mind that sugar consumption drives the desire for more sugar. Avoid the sugar and do some fasting and the waist returns.

I have just started running after a long time recovering form and injury caused by swerving around some pedestrians. I have never been fast or a natural runner, but it does make me happier when I have been. There is, however, the small issue of a tummy that doesn’t look as small as it did before I was injured-not because I think that running slims my tummy, but when I am happy I don’t reach for the sweet stuff.

I am finding the biscuits/puddings at work a struggle. I may have to adopt the ‘one day at a time’ mantra from AA! I am with you, Cinderella.

Garden is my happy place. I love to be outside.

Hello Fast Friends,
    I have well and truly fallen off the wagon. It has been a gradual change from the occasional treat to lots of biscuits every day.
    I have been wondering if there has been an increase, my light winter jacket has been a tad snug which I have ignored. I found a pair of white jeans-completely the wrong style but I used to be able to do them up. Not any more, the zip doesn’t come anywhere close to doing up.
    So today I was very brave and walked past all the cakes and chocolates that surrounded me when I was out and about today. I made some hummus and lunch was that with carrot sticks and cherry tomatoes, with some nuts. Dinner will be fish and salad.
    I am planning to skip a meal tomorrow.

How is everyone else getting on?

If you’re losing inches, but not weight, with your diet and exercise program, you’re … If you’re losing fat and gaining muscle at the same rate, your body size shrinks, … If your clothes are looser, something good is happening.

Hi everyone. I think my fasting and low sugar days has just about got rid of the Easter bulge. Husband and I are also on holiday countdown for August so we did four days at 800-900 cals. Husband very surprised about the cals in things. He lost about 4lbs. We plan another blitz soon (trying not to go mad inbetween).

I’m glad I started the measuring thing, I wouldn’t have realised it goes on my thighs first. Half an inch went on each and has come off again.

I’ve been struggling with a dramatic cough and cold for 3 weeks, very annoying in the warmer months! Oh the biscuits Annette. I ate a couple at school today even though they looked like cardboard! Why?? We are surrounded ladies, so it is not easy.

The weather and gardening are great which is cheering. I’ve been enjoying my Rhododendrons, it’s not normally so warm when they are out.

Hello Everyone!
    I can’t remember when I last fasted last. It has been a tricky time of late with food being a complete mixture of processed rubbish and cooking good food from scratch. I don’t know what has happened that has allowed the rubbish to seep back in, but I suspect that fasting will help get me back on track.

Scales are broken and I have been in denial about any impact the processed rubbish may have had until it got very warm and I tried on clothes that had been quite loose but were now rather tight. Very shocked to find that inches have crept on the waist/bust/hips/thighs/calves. I am a complete Muppet.

Today it is wet and cool, but I am going to get up and out walking, keeping busy and plan to miss out lunch completely and remind myself that I will be fine, I will not fall into a heap and starve-there is plenty of fat to live off!

Well done Cinderella, you have inspired me to both get the tape measure out and avoid the rubbish. Thank you.

How is everyone getting on?

I managed to go from 7am-7pm without any food and it was fine. Out and about in the garden and then a friend came round which was a great distraction in the sunshine.

All in all it was easy peasy, so I have no excuse to get back into the groove. I know that it works and fasting seems like a re-set button to me from the nonsense options and back to the ones that make me feel better too.

The plan is to do 2 FD in the coming week. I will shop with that in mind tomorrow. I have measured the usual body parts and I hope to see some improvement next weekend.

Hello Fast Friends,
    I have not only completed a 12 hour fast once but have also delayed lunch from 12 noon to 4pm. Half term has been busy catching up with friends and the inevitable meals/lunch out.

Tape measure out this morning and I seem to have lost half an inch on my thighs and perhaps an inch off my natural waist. Off out to lunch with my Birthday boy today and then out for a BBQ this evening.

I am really pleased with the shrinkage so far, but my aim is to dispatch the 2 biscuit inches that have crept on. So the question is how many weeks will it take with 2 FD to shed those biscuit inches?

Hello Everyone,
    Yesterday was lunch out with my boy and then an evening BBQ with several glasses of Prosecco. Breakfast this morning which I didn’t really need and then a short walk/run in the sun. Lunch will be some fruit and nuts and then dinner will be some meat and vegetables. The real challenge will be the biscuits that are work, which I will be tacking 1 day at a time with a view to losing those biscuit inches.

My boy(who used to be about 3 stone overweight) continues to shrink. He doesn’t fast as such, but doesn’t eat if he isn’t hungry and misses breakfast if he knows that he is having lunch out. He eats meat/vegetables and whole fruit, and looks great.

I re-read Jason Fung The Obesity Myth on the train to see my boy just to remind me what to eat/when to eat and I thought that I would share the points that he makes. He states that obesity is a hormonal disorder of fat regulation and that Insulin is the major hormone that drives weight gain. All foods cause an increase in Insulin but there are 2 factors that keep out Insulin levels high, what we eat and meal timing.

Fung argues that we should not snack because it helps keep insulin levels high, make breakfast optional, eat whole unprocessed foods and reduce the consumption of added sugars. Reduce consumption of refined grains(bread/potatoes/pasta/rice) as they stimulate insulin production more that any other food. Avoid bread/wraps/cakes/pasta/noodles. Avoid fake foods like replacement shakes and bars.

Instead aim to increase fibre by eating natural foods-fruit/berries/vegetables/flax seeds/chia seeds/ beans/nuts/oatmeal and pumpkin seeds. Eat more natural fats-full fat dairy, avocados, butter and olive oil.

He believes that stress and sleep deprivation also affect weight loss and insulin levels, so take steps to help those as well as fasting and eating whole/real foods.

In order to break insulin resistance-fasting is the second half of the puzzle after changing food choices. Even after 6 hours of fasting, insulin levels start to fall. He advocates fasting for 24-36 hours and alternate day fasting.

Inspired by Fung I tried several 24 hour fasts(last meal-evening meal of the day before and then skipped breakfast and lunch the next day). I found this far easier than eating 500cals on a FD and saw the tape measure show that I was shrinking.

@annette52 Thank you for sharing your insights, they’re very interesting. I usually do two 36 hr water fasts per week, but it’s nice to know that when I truly struggle to stay on track, I could scale back down to a 24 hr fast.

And thank you for reminding me to keep my stress and sleep in check. Getting to bed on time is very hard for me to do, but so important.

Thank you Emma. The most that I have managed is 24 hours and just a few times. Really interesting to hear that you usually do 36 hours. Do you notice a difference in your body shape?

36 hours sounds difficult, but I wouldn’t have believed I could ever have managed 24.

I smiled that I had inspired you Annette as I’d just tucked into a chocolate bar and other junk! Thanks for the summing up of Fung, I find it hard to fit in reading lately. Husband and I are doing five days at 800 – 900 cals again this week in an attempt to slim him down a bit. We don’t eat badly, I’ve cut our carbs down for quite a while now. I think snacking is his problem. He doesn’t keep getting bigger but is up and down the same half stone, at a level a few stones too heavy. Fung mentions a ‘set weight’ that is too high, I think that’s his problem. It doesn’t bother me as his big frame hides it quite well, but his Mum has diabetes so he needs to take care as he gets older.

Funny you mentioned diet shakes, I watched a programme about crash diets on BBC and they did just that. They were very successful. It is a form of fasting I suppose. I think that any low cal fasting that has a big effect works. It’s keeping on top of weight regularly that makes the difference perhaps.

We need to get rid of the old advice and get on with new advice. You don’t have to have breakfast and ditch sugary cereals, ditch low fat high sugar foods, a lot of your plate should be veggies/salads, better labelling, teach everyone 4g sugar = tsp and how to read this on labels, increase awareness of sugar in drinks including juice and energy drinks, fasting is good, losing weight quickly is okay, stop advertising junk food to kids…the list goes on. I’m so wise but still keep going wrong!!

Hello everyone, nice to hear from you again. I can identify with all you have discussed lately. My “set weight” is definitely too high but it’s a level I gravitate to regardless of eating well or stuffing myself with junk. I know what I should be doing but can’t seem to do it, which really irritates me when I consider I’m an intelligent, educated person who doesn’t make these kind of mistakes in other areas of life.
    It is amazing the number of people who tell me I shouldn’t be missing breakfast, or fasting is bad for you. When I ask them why they think that, they don’t really have an answer, so better awareness and education is essential.
    I have just got back from a holiday in Spain where I could just squeeze into my holiday dresses and shorts, I want them to be more comfy before a trip to Scotland in August, although it’s quite likely such a trip will be woolly jumpers and long trousers!!
    Onwards and downwards friends.

Hello Everyone!
    Sorry, I missed the brain sets the body weight part and fights hard to keep us that weight to stop our death. The simple fact Iona is that I believe that Fung is correct, so you either choose to ditch those carbs and fast, or accept that there is not going to be any changes. I say that having experienced it myself.
    I am working on no snacking or biscuits and avoiding those carbs. My challenge is that I work in a school and meals are provided which tend to be high carb, so often it is a case of simply making the best choice there and having more control in the evenings of what/when I eat.
    Today it was curry/rice/naan bread. I felt sleepy all afternoon and struggled not to buy anything sweet on the way home. I just kept thinking of my sky high insulin and what I was going to do about it. The plan is to eat as later-avocado/tomatoes/cole slaw and then skip breakfast tomorrow. I have never tried ADF before but why not? I can fast for longer at the weekend but need a way of combatting the carbs at lunch. The salad counter often has cold rice/pasta/potatoes so it can be very difficult to be able to choose protein and salad or veg.

Cinderella it might help your husband to cut out the snacking if you can tell him that a healthy waist(around the belly button) is 37 inches(not what his trousers say) with the ultimate aim of a waist that is less than half his height. He needs to make the change now to avoid the spectre of diabetes. One of the things I used to tell my very overweight son was that I wanted him to be a healthy weight for his height and that I was worried that he might become diabetic-as was my Dad. He has been shrinking steadily, refuses to stand on the scales/measure his waist but I was struck by the change in his shape from behind when I saw him at the weekend. He now has that male triangular shape from his shoulders to his waist. I would guess that he has 4 inches to lose off his waist to get to the magic 37 inches, but I would also guess that he has lost 8 inches to date.
    I think that changes with food advice are going to be slow to change, we have all been trained so well. Plus the food companies are not going to want us to stop snacking and eating sugary rubbish so they make the containers smaller to comply with new sugar regs!
    I tackled 24 hour fasting by eating an evening meal, then skipping breakfast and lunch but eating an evening meal. It was fine, I think that I felt less hungry without food than with. I also found that it was a really good way of trimming off the inches.
    I have the added incentive of getting back to running again after a long time not. Lycra is not very forgiving to my little pot belly and I would like to get rid of the Buddha belly as soon as possible. I know that exercise will have little impact on my weight but that fasting and avoiding those carbs will. I have tried it out and know that Fung is right.

I have had a better week, cutting carbs and avoiding sugar. My jeans feel better today. I will continue planning ahead and try for two FD next week.
    Just noticed this thread has been going for 5 years!! We don’t give up easily!! Enjoy the weekend but stay strong. 😃

Hello Everyone!
    Great news Iona. I was just 52 when I started this thread-seems a lifetime ago when I think how much I have changed in terms of what I eat now and how much. I used to celebrate each FD with an Almond Croissant! Quite bonkers.

I am fasting for 24 hours, so just over 2 hours to go before I dive into cherry tomatoes, Cole slaw and prawns. It has been a really good week, I have not had a biscuit at all and I am feeling very proud of my self. I was a bit disappointed that the tape measure hasn’t shifted in the right direction this morning but my trousers have felt looser this week.

I watched ‘The Truth about Carbs’ which was really interesting, seeing how much people shrunk/reversed their diabetes when they avoided beige carbs and ate a lot more vegetables as their carbs instead. Certainly confirms what Fung has been saying for ages.

This week I have fasted for 18 hours and 24 hours, which is completely fine when I can keep busy and drink tea. How is everyone getting on?

Sounds like you’re doing well ladies, well done on all that fasting and no biscuits Annette.

Yes, I have informed husband of his waist measurement expectations! He has a way to go. I left a photo album out of us years ago, and he said he’d forgotten he was triangular shaped, not block shaped. We did another four days at 800/900 cals last week and he lost almost half a stone, an inch off the waist. This week we tried a fast day at 500 cals which he found harder.

I watched the carb programme, very good. I’ve taken to watching shows like that on my own, then have it on in the background when husband is on the laptop as I know he listens! Slowly, slowly. Your son has done so well Annette. He’s really improved his future outlook.

I had to smile, the youngish IT guy at work was moaning that the sugar tax was affecting him at McDonald’s. Good, that’s the idea!

That all sounds very positive Cinderella. I am very pleased with the progress that boy 3 has made, he looks much more in proportion and I suspect that another year down the line he may be close to having a healthy waist measurement.

I managed 7 days at work that were biscuit free but fell on the 8th. The biscuits come in packs of 3 and it has never occurred to me to eat just 1! I had 1 pudding last week and it really wasn’t worth it.

I just feel very tired when I eat biscuits/pudding and I feel better when I don’t eat them…so why do I eat them? I suspect that boredom and some sense of a treat are part of the madness. But surely a treat is something that makes you feel good?

I have fasted twice this week, between 16-24 hours. My scales are broken and the tape measure hasn’t moved either…BUT my trousers are looser! That’ll do. Off out with friends, out to a gig and staying overnight so will eat/drink what is available.

Next week, 2 FDs and no biscuits/puddings.

It has been a mixed week. I am bored witless at work which means that there is lots of time to consider tea and biscuits plus lunch options have been challenging. There have been biscuits, but I have avoided the rest of the rubbish.

Huge row with boy last night and I have felt sad and low. But I didn’t have any of the sweet stuff on the way home from the shops, so rather pleased with that achievement. Trousers are feeling looser. Plan is to have a FD over the weekend and then 2 next week(looked to see what food is on offer).

Hoping for some movement on the tape measure at the weekend. The challenge is next week which is supposed to be very hot when I di love ice cream. Ho hum.

Good Morning Fast Friends,

I have been hitching the trousers up all week and have been delighted to see that my hips are an inch smaller! Very pleased even though I was hoping for less waist but I will take any shrinkage and be pleased.

I think that I am going to spend the next 2 weeks at work counting up to 25gms/6 teaspoons of sugar every day to help on the sugar consumption with a gimlet eye to ice cream consumption in the next 2 hot weeks ahead. The plan next week is 2 FD and I may have a stab at another tomorrow.

Hi everyone. I’ve been doing the 4 days at 800 cals with my husband this week. He’s lost 10 lbs this way, I think we’ve done it three times. He’s just moved down to a lower stones bracket so that is great. Like you Annette, he’s lost inches off his hips but not so much from the waist. We will keep going for our August holiday. I’ve not changed much, but perhaps my under bra pouch is a bit less! It’s not so bad in the heat as it cuts appetite I think. Also I don’t feel cold in bed, as I do when fasting usually. Unfortunately I was asked out the the pub last night so I broke the fast! I had a lovely pea and broad bean salad though, but then a lemon tart. I’ve bought Michael’s The Clever Guts Diet. Very interesting so far.

Well done Annette on the inch loss, keep strong on the ice cream front!

Hello again,

Good work going on here! Now I’m back from a lovely holiday in Scotland (no rain!!) I am having some success by cutting carbs, I’ve only measured the fattest bit around my middle and its down an inch, perhaps I should be measuring hips too? It has been easier than I expected to eat less carbs but I think the season helps as I’m having lots of salad, some even home grown! But there is the ice cream temptation of course.
    I saw The Blood Sugar book by Michael M in Tesco the other day, is it worth a read, our local library doesn’t have it? I’ve reserved the 8 week blood sugar recipe book but no idea how long it will be until I get it. Cinderella – what’s the principle of the Clever Guts book, not seen that one? I’ve been watching some Youtube videos about low carb and there seems to be some contradictions so I’m trying to work out what I think is actually correct info. It has made me think twice about snacking between meals, even with “healthy” stuff when you know how much it spikes insulin production.
    Keep up the good work guys, it really helps hearing how everyone is is getting on.

Hello Fast Friends,
    The last week has been a bit of a disaster as it has been very hot, food offers for lunch have been poor and I have been bored. The result has been lots of biscuits, ice cream every day and then gifts of cake and chocolate as it is the end of term. It has been eaten and/or shared out with the boys. Large box of chocolate as a thank you from my line manager has been put in the cupboard for Christmas.

Back to fasting today, just holding out a bit longer for lunch. Tape measure hasn’t moved which is a relief considering what I have scoffed. Clothes are, however, fitting better. Just cleared out everything from my wardrobe that I haven’t worn in at least the past year and had a small purchase of clothes that I know suit me and I wear every day.

I am planning to go sugar free from today. Which means eating fruit and vegetables, fish/meat, nuts, homemade hummus and avoiding anything that comes in a box or packet.
    I have felt rubbish this week and know that I will feel better without the white stuff. Will it have an impact on the waist line with longer fasting? Yes it will.

Have a look on I player for ‘The truth about carbs’ Iona. very interesting. Jane McDonald lost 4 stone by fiving up sugar apparently. She looks fabulous now and my waist could do with some shrinking. Cinderella, think about the less fat around the organs, sometimes, you just have to have faith that intermittent fasting works but you can’t always see what is no longer there!

Feeling very powerful with no ice cream in the house. Onwards and downwards Fast Friends!

Hi there. Yes Annette that’s true, perhaps I’m losing fat inside! Husband is a stone lighter now, great. He went for his older man check up and nearly all his stats are good. She didn’t measure his waist though. BMI is still an issue, but better than it was. He might try for another half stone before our holiday. I think the plan I put him on, 800-900 cals a day is the blood sugar diet. In the book it’s every day and is aimed at those with a problem who need to lose weight fast. I didn’t think we could stand that so we did four days at a time. There’s nothing in the book that’s not in the original FD book Iona.I

Clever Guts is interesting. It says those born by C section do not have the variety of gut bacteria than those born normally, they are fatter as adults. The book describes how your body works on food, veggies and fibre taking much longer to digest so fuller for longer. Carbs go straight through, hence the spike. Eat lots of different types of plants, dandelions! There are many different types of gut bacteria, some of which are proven to help keep people slim. Antibiotics are bad for guts, gardening is good. Your gut biome can determine how much energy you extract from food. Fasting leads to a rise in a gut thing which helps keep you slim but its effects wear off after 10 days so a good idea to do 6:1. Research is in its infancy.

I also notice my tiredness on days when I’ve scoffed all the wrong things.

Have a good week everyone.

Viewing 50 posts - 2,901 through 2,950 (of 3,800 total)

You must be logged in to reply.