I know we've all got goals but do you have a reward in mind?

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Soul Personal stories
I know we've all got goals but do you have a reward in mind?

This topic contains 30 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  HappyNow 7 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

• I’ve lost a good bit of weight but I still have a long way to go. Now, as I get closer, the weight comes off slower and harder. So I’m thinking about rewards as motivation.

I’m sitting at around 145 pounds right now. I’m thinking of an expensive pair of sneakers when I get to 135 pounds. And I’m thinking about some hot lingerie if I can get to 110. I haven’t had anything really slinky since I was in college more than 40 years ago. Hell’s bells! I haven’t had anything that didn’t come from Target in 40 years. 😂

What are your rewards? Have you made any goals and delivered on a promise you made yourself already?

Great idea for topic!

LOL! I need to build higher level of my rewards. I am more like – I can eat that bag of chips when I be 145 lb.

Hot lingerie….Now you got me thinking… 😀

I set a goal for myself at one point — to buy a certain item of cookware for myself (bluskilletironware.com). The trouble is that this item is hand made and in such demand that if I lose 100 pounds, I still won’t be able to get one…..

So I need a new gift.

Wow! That’s pretty damned fabulous!

Have you considered ordering one and having it sent to someone else when it’s made. That person could present it to you when you reach your goal and then you’d have your sensational pan and a bit of ceremony in the bargain? 😏

Wish I could be the one to do it for you. ’cause I’d understand how special it is.

Have you ever had the opportunity to cook with one?

I am making rewards for every 10 kilos I lose.

93 kilos (-10 kilos) a hair cut
    83 kilos (-20 kilos) a massage
    73 kilos (-30 kilos) new wardrobe!

I love the ideas above – especially the lingerie. Having the cookware ordered and shipped someplace is an excellent idea.

My rewards:
    10 pounds loss – tattoo, lux in tenebris (Latin for light in darkness)
    20 pounds loss – start training to RUN a 5k

Excellent goals and rewards!

Isn’t it fun to see how differently we all approach this?

I know we’re all different, but I must admit I’m struggling here.

I was overweight. I wasn’t happy or healthy in my skin.

I lost weight. I became happy and healthy in my skin.

It’s now been two years since I reached my goal weight.

I still wake up every morning and put my hand on my belly. My hip bones and rib cage are more prominent than my belly.

I get up and get dressed. It doesn’t matter what I choose, everything fits, I look slim in everything. No more trying to hide lumps and bumps. Shopping is easy: I like it, it’s available in my size, I buy it.

I go out for a run. I’m no longer wearing a fat suit that moves independently of me or putting excessive pressure on my joints. I enjoy feeling my body working as nature intended.

My ‘reward’ for losing weight is not being fat any more, and hopefully looking forward to a healthy long life.

If the goal is weight loss, then why is not losing weight reward enough in itself?

HappyNow, Great speech! Love it. You absolutely right. 😀

Great points, Happy Now. Still, when you’re in the fray and deferring a lot of immediate gratification and have a long slog to look forward to incentives don’t hurt a thing!

Inspiring words Happy but I’m with LA on this one. I like to set weight loss goals and have something to look forward to more than being skinny. Our weight loss journeys are all different as well as our souls. No weigh (see what I did there?:) ) is wrong or right for everyone. You definitely have reason to be proud and happy. I look forward to reaching my “everything fits” phase!

Happy fasting. 🙂

Hi Fast,

I’d never been on a ‘diet’ before 5:2, and to be honest I didn’t really believe it was going to work and had no idea what to expect! So although I had an idea of what I hoped to achieve, setting any time-limited (or even interim weight-related) goals might have been dooming me to failure?

Indeed, a lot of people do turn up here with completely unrealistic expectations, fail to meet them, blame the diet and bail out…

Also I knew that diets mostly don’t work for long-term weight loss (hence why I hadn’t dieted before, and was just helplessly watching myself get fatter!). Starting 5:2 wasn’t a ‘diet’ for me, it was committing to a lifestyle change for health and weight loss: intermittent fasting but also addressing bad eating habits on non-fast days (severely reducing bread, pasta and added sugar – turns out even homemade biscuits are fattening 🙂 ). I didn’t want to fast so I could carry on stuffing down ‘cr*p’, I wanted to address the root cause of the problem.

So I guess I just embraced intermittent fasting, and healthier eating, as a way of life and was just happy to see where it took me.

There were plenty of incidental rewards along the way though to motivate me! Like digging out an old pair of jeans which had been too tight only to find they were too loose! And breaking into a run and not having to hold my chest in place (yes, I’m happy to have gone from a bulging 36C to a 34A/B). And finding my balance improved in the absence of my fat suit (which had its own momentum and the stopping distance of a small family car 🙂 ). And PMT symptoms gone…etc

And yes, I have bought new clothes since I’ve lost weight! But to be honest, I was reluctant to buy smaller clothes (and get rid of the old ones) until I was really really sure I wasn’t going to put the weight back on (I don’t like spending money, and I really don’t like wasting it!).

Good luck on your journey!

Sometimes small goals are what get us to our big goal! Of course our final goal could/should be motivation enough, but often it seems too big to get us there. I like the idea of rewarding myself in manageable chunks. I’m still at my last 10 pounds and those are by far the hardest to get off. My goal is to reach my last 8, my last 6, and so on. 🙂 Good luck all!

@happynow I too hope to stick with this plan for life. I feel better on my fasting days, it is more than just about weight loss for me. I am really looking forward to getting to where you are at – I think your name says it all. 🙂

@mylast10 – agree with you too, small goals will help me personally achieve my bigger goals. I want to be fit. I want to enjoy life for a very long time. I’m 14 pounds from my overall goal weight. I like that you are setting smaller and achievable goals to lose your 10 – I think I should rethink mine. 🙂

HappyNow, I know that you are completely right about the intrinsic rewards of being a healthy weight. And I am amazed to hear that you were astute enough to wait for the right diet and stick to it to accomplish your goal in one fell swoop. Honestly, that is an amazing tale. And probably a pretty unique one.

I think many of us here — possibly *most* of us — have tried and failed at many diets before. Naturally, that will have a lot to do with age but, at 69 and having been seriously overweight since I started kindergarten, I have lost track of my failed attempts but not the little recording that runs through my brain that says “you know you’re going to give in at some point so you might as well have this _____ now and get it over with”. I suspect there are others who know that tape well too. So, for those of us, interim goals and rewards that substitute “there! if I’ve done that, I can go the whole way” can be very helpful.

This is, of course, unique in the annals of “diets”. It’s more do-able. It makes us feel more energetic and healthier right off the bat. It changes our metabolisms over time. I am soooo onboard with believing it will happen for all of us in time. …even if some of us may take 12 months or more to get there.

I will tell you one of the intrinsic rewards that I really look forward to. I am very short and very wide. When I have a healthy amount of body fat I will still have my sturdy peasant body. And yet, I may be able to buy something with long sleeves and not have to roll them up or have them altered. I will be THRILLED. I will probably always have to have pants hemmed but pants can *be* hemmed while knit tops not so much. It will be FANTASTIC if I can buy a top that *fits*!

…but first I’m getting myself the expensive sneakers and the hot lingerie while I still have tens of pounds to lose. 😏

Excuse me LA Chubster,

Hot lingerie is your reward for 110 lb. There are hardly “tens of pounds” left to lose. No cheating with rewards!!! 😛

Hi LA,

Thanks, I hadn’t considered it from the point of view of habitual dieters.
    As you say, intermittent fasting is unique, and flexible and forgiving, so hopefully no need for anyone to fall off this wagon!

I hear ya, coldpizza! You’ll note that I didn’t specify how *many* tens of pounds there are to go. 😏

LOL! 😀

Speaking of falling off the wagon – I tried and failed yesterday (which was supposed to be my FD).. when my hubby started cooking dinner, which doesn’t happen often. I gave in and ate way over my 500 cals. SO – today I’m back. Any encouragement out there?? I did SO well back in October/November/December and got nearly to my goal – and then one simple day, I chose to forego the FD and BAM – it was all over. It’s like I have to be so committed or forget it. Today, I want to be committed again! I definitely need encouragement. We all do.

The one piece of encouragement I do have is that you truly only need to fast twice a week, and the weight truly does come off! (Maybe I just need to repeat this to myself! ha)

What helps me after I “blow it” is another fast. It seems to wipe my slate clean and I can start over.

Saying that, I should explain that I do 2 FDs in a row and only have water on my FDs. When I’ve done that I feel great and ready for anything. And it becomes part of a weekly pattern that my body now understands and is ready for. I even take advantage of that by planning that if there’s going to be an indulgence — a special meal out or a favorite naughty food I have to have occasionally — I do it on the last meal before I begin a fast. Then by the time I’m back to food days, I’m fully ready to do them sensibly and responsibly.

Not saying that’s right for everyone. I do it because I think limiting myself to 500 calories would be much harder for me. But perhaps you’d like to try it just once to get rid of the feeling that “BAM — it was all over”.

I think you have a smart method. Back in October, I was limiting myself to 600 calories – and it was working, but now I find that if I eat something after a few hours (even within 500 cals) I immediately get hungrier. I will try drinking water only for a fast day so I don’t rev up my hunger. Thanks!!

I hope it works for you but I have found that even within the well-designed template for intermittent fasting we still need to evolve what works for us. I knew as soon as I started that eating but only 500 calories would demand more discipline than I’ve ever had. I do it my way because I find it easier.

I hope it will be helpful for you too but, if it isn’t, be open to some other possibility. And good luck with it.

I find that if I spread my calories throughout the day, I want to keep eating and seem to be hungry all day. Waiting until dinner time to eat 1 500 cal meal seems to work well with me.

What an amazing lifestyle change. I used to be the person that had to eat by a certain time or I’d turn into a hangry (hungry + angry) monster! I cannot believe how easy this transition was, I haven’t had blood work done in years so I cannot confirm but I feel like my blood sugar levels have stabilized whereas before they would drop if I didn’t eat – I would get clammy and have a terrible headache and would slightly “shake”.

The weight loss is why I started but feeling good is why I’m sticking with it!

Well, that’s very interesting.

Interesting article, thank you for sharing. Sounds like reverse psychology. So the 1st question is, are you risk-adverse or risk-tolerant? Hhmm…I’ll have to think about this. I never thought about taking something away if I don’t meet my goal. Interesting…

Interesting article…

Should we start a new thread “What will I lose if I don’t lose weight” instead of reward? 🙂

I realize that I kind of doing it. I still have all of my old skinny clothes, that I am going to give up if not losing weight this year. But it seems so far away still, so I don’t think it motivates me a lot.
    Maybe I should chose a specific piece of clothing for each month, and if I am not able to wear it to give it away… Still a very scary thought… :-O

New thread is a fun idea. Maybe I’ll get some ideas for myself.

Hi HappyNow,

WAY TO GO. Love your attitude. You should be the Nike poster girl. Just do it! I read lots of posts on here and get the feeling that some people are looking for a magic bullet solution. An unrealistic expectation that the 5:2 diet will either do it for them or the 5:2 diet is to blame. The diet works only if youre honest and give it a genuine try. It took me 52 weeks to lose 44 pounds, so a little under 1 pound per week. I suspect the diet industry has a lot to answer for. Follow this new fad diet and lose an amazing 20 pounds in one week…etc etc. Some simple physics will tell you that even if you eat nothing for the week you’ll be hard pressed to lose more than 3-4 (real fat loss) pounds per week.

My reward? I can get on my bike and ride as well as I could when I was in my early 20s and that was 30 plus years ago. As I tell my wife, I’ll eventually die a very healthy person.

Hi Bigbooty,

Well I’m happy to say I can ride better now than 30 years ago! Then a four mile ride to the pub constituted exercise (to be ‘rwwarded’ with a couple of pints 🙂 ).

But is it a reward, or a happy side effect of weight loss, that the hill climbs are easier now (and I no longer look like an overstuffed sausage in lycra)?!

I like your ‘eventually dying a very healthy person line’. Now a happy healthy old age, not beset by lifestyle-choice diseases, sounds like the ultimate reward to me!

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply.