i feel like I am slipping a little help

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
i feel like I am slipping a little help

This topic contains 32 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Ohlala 8 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

• Hi this is my 5th week, I have lost 3.2 kilo , so really pleased with that, I stick to the fast days really well, I do Tuesday Thursday, and the non fast days in the week, I am very careful and do not have anything naughty at all, its the dammed weekends I seem to have slipped, the last 2, last weekend I did have a cake, and 1 glass of wine, and Wednesday my weigh in day, I did loose but not quite 1 kilo, this weekend, I had
    1 cupcake, 1 mini magnum, 1 small glass of white wine, 1 Guinness, and now I am feeling really guilty, and feel like I should not have had those things.
    However I turned down a hotdog yesterday lunch, and I turned down a ice cream yesterday.
    But am i being to hard on myself, or am I slipping slowly back into my old ways.
    Dreading what the scales are going to read in the morning
    Any advice would help

Just my opinion, and how I am with this way of eating, I purposely don’t deny myself. I don’t allow myself to feel guilty when I eat something sweet or full of calories. Because I know that my fast day will control it.

I have been doing alternate day fasting, because I know myself and don’t want to feel deprived, but want to drop the weight. I am down 14 lbs in 6 weeks.

Like one post said, when I am good (fasting), I am really good, and when I am bad(eating), I am really bad! Well, not totally true, but I do have 1 feast day a week, and I take advantage! So don’t beat yourself up!

hi Ohlala

What a great start!!!! Brilliant.

Where can I send your hair shirt – when a mini magnum becomes something to worry about, its time for me to give up!!! Ive been doing this for five months, into sixth week of the Fast Beach Diet and Ive given up all treats for those six weeks, but there is a raspberry magnum waiting for me in the freezer for Monday when I am finished.

5:2 isn’t a diet, so nothing is forbidden, which makes it poosible to do for life.

So have yuour treats, but make sure they are counted within your TDEE, and try not to have them on fast days. You can have a mars bar on a fast day, but not much else, and the day will become long and you will be hungry.

So don’t be hard on yourself,even if you slip badly, it is only for one day. Sometimes its good to have a day or two without even thinking of 5:2.

We need treats, we need nice food. Ive managed without for weeks, and its been a good push, but Im looking forward to my wine.

Hi,thanks for replying, i dont eat naughties on my fast days, i suppose I associate the weekend with a nice thing, and the finish or work for 2 days, and I don’t want to deprive myself then, but i suppose i have been quite good really.
    Fitnfast, how do you manage every other day, it must be really hard doing that well done, that s stone in 6 weeks, i tried to add a 3rd day in but they were back to back, and I couldn’t do it, it was horrid, I was so hungry by the night of the 2nd day I would have eaten my dogs dinner.
    Milena, your doing great 6 weeks without anything nice, I just dont think I have that will power, I started slipping on week 3, but on non fast days.
    do you both do any exercise? i do 3 times a week 20 mins fast circuit training, at home, with weights as well, I dont like doing it but its 20mins, even I can manage that, I need t tone up my legs tummy and bingo wings, thanks for your both mailing much apprciated

Alternate days aren’t that bad once you get into the swing of it. But even just adding a 3rd day helps. Plus watching what you eat on most days.

Something that really helped me understand this whole thing was reading all the blogs at http://www.intensivedietarymanagement.com. He explains the calories, hormonal, obesity, fasting in a way that is SO easy to understand (and he is funny, too!) In a nutshell, he proves that obesity is not caused by eating too much and moving too little; it is a hormonal, insulin resistance problem. And the only way to control it is by fasting, and by what you eat and when you eat.

A few examples of how to reduce your insulin:
    1) No snacking between meals. The longer between meals the better.
    2) No eating after dinner. Again, the longer between dinner and “breakfast” the better. On fast days, I started eating my first meal around lunch time, like others were doing, and it jump-started my loss.
    3) Easy on the bad carbs: bread (yes, even whole grain), sugar, fruit, etc. I have almost completely given up breads, except for my 1 feast day a week. Lots of veggies. And trust me, I am NOT a veggie person!

That’s just a few things I learned, and that Mosley touched on in his book, and Mimi continued in Fast Beach Diet.

As for exercise, I do a bit LESS than you!

Re-examine what you are doing, and we can work through it together!

Arh thanks, that’s so nice, that you are helping me, thanks, well havent eaten a thing yet i push it to about 3pm and then dinner at 7.30 i do have a small apple but straight after dinner, so its part of the meal and not a snack.
    I am going to look at that blog for sure.
    Like you i have cut out bread on week days and have about 2 slices on a sunday, i have cut out potatoes except for sweet pots, love those, I have cut down alcohol nothing on weekdays, and some on the weekend.
    What do you eat on your feast day, do you mind telling me, as I might try that on a saturday, but as my husband gets back on the weekend, i sort of cook some nice food i have a lot less, and have a desert for both sat and sunday, I have just thought how i could add in a spare day but it runs over a friday could try that monday wed-friday, that would sure escalate my loss

Ho Ohlala

Frankly Im a couch potato. Do walk now, about 2.5 miles a day, t the post office in the village, have been doing some push ups, just bought a huka hoop, coveted in bruises from it, but keeping trying.

Im a planner, so June is the month to tone. I can fo anything fir a few weeks, and every month I extended my target weightloss, Im heading now for a five stone loss, or even a bit more. Madness, but by planning short periods Im halfway there in 5 months. Though I suspect the other half will be harder.

Keep the faith though, there is no failure, just the odd trip up!

Thats good that your walking, I have 3 dogs, and get out every day for 20 mins, and if hubby isnt hear then i do the early shift as well, i dont mind that, but to burn anything we have to raise the heart a bit, I do do that when I do my 3 days a week.
    But I have an office sit on the bum job, and have done for 13 years, i dont take any breaks or move around a lot, so there is my problem, but its my job not a lot i can do about that.
    So cutting down what I eat I have control over, i have just eaten my first meal, that went 19 hours this time, not bad but I was hungry, so I will eat again at 7, and nothing until about 10 tomorrow so another 15hrs, that it until thursday, weigh in tomorrow, fingers crossed

I have my last meal around 4:30 pm. The next day, I eat a hard boiled egg and a small salad. Around 4 pm, I have either soup or another small salad with a few pickles. The next day, I do the same, or have 1 egg for breakfast.

It sounds like you are doing good. The alcohol doesn’t help, but one or two wouldn’t be too bad. 19 hours is long time! I can barely make it 16 hours!

Your job shouldn’t be that much of a factor. When you read those blogs I mentioned, you will understand. Exercise is only 5% of your daily energy expenditure. 95% is what and when you eat.

Well I can say ladies, I am over the moon worry over, this morning I have lost another 1 kilo 2.2lbs, I was really worried that the naughty bits at the weekend would have stopped that but no, so far I have lost 9.25lb in 4 weeks, this is now into my 5 week, so I am feeling very pleased with myself today.
    My first goal is 10k to loos and I would like to loose that by the last weekend in June, i am on the right track.
    But I do need to watch it at the weekend.
    I have read 3 of those blogs now, and am reading more today they are very interesting
    The 16hours is made up of when I am asleep as well, I hope that counts, so I have my last meal at 7pm and my next meal around 3 or 4 the next day, and then another meal at 7, and then I eat around 11am the next morning, as not a fast day, so my fast starts from the last meal at 7pm, its hard to push it through to 4pm, but I have been doing that, yesterday I was very hungry, I have found a nice fruit tea, it is just fruit no added anything to it, and it tastes lovely, I drink a large mug of lemon water every morning hot, not sure if that does anything but my friend said its good for your body?
    Just wanted to sahre my weight loss with you both this morning, and how are you girls getting on

The blogs are interesting, aren’t they?! You are doing great then! And yes, sleeping counts! That is what is so cool about it! Burning fat while sleeping? Absolutely!

Keep on going, girl! You got this licked!

Hey Fitnfast, yes they are great, I am going to send my friend one of them as her hubby is diabetic.
    you are also doing great 14lbs in 6 weeks is an amazing thing to have achieved, have you drooped a dress size as well, my aim is to be a good size 14, by next month.
    i keep thinking about every other day, but am still not sure as mine would have to be monday wed Friday and sunday its the friday bit I dont like much, but we have to make sacrifices.
    Maybe if I am not at my goal in another 2 weeks i could give it a go.
    Do you weigh every week as well?

Yes, I weigh once a week only, on Saturday morning.

I am on a fast day today and finding it really hard, it 2 hear, and I havent eaten since 8pm, but I am trying to push it until I cant stand it anymore.
    I have made veg soup, thought it will make a change to bolied egg salad.
    I am alos finding it hard to think up recepies or food i cant eat for 200K and 300k, is there any ideas at all

Me, too. Last meal (snack, really…just an apple with some peanut butter) around 7 pm. 8 am now and hungry but drinking water and coffee like crazy! I think I will heat my lunch soup/broth up early.
    I’m gonna try to push it to 9 am.

Hi,
    Just eat my soup, actually it was lovely, I added half a tin of tomatoes a bit of balsamic salt and pepper, and a load of veg, I aet the lot, but all in on 200k and now feel warm and full, i get so cold on fast days my fingers the most its strange.
    tonight I have salmon, and boiled veg, i looked up Rice today but it is not good on calories, so wills tick to the veg, will look up melon, as i have to have somethign sweet after, if not will stick to the apple.
    Good luck

Oooh, that sounds good! Especially right now! I got busy at work, plus 2 structure fires nearby and all kinds of excitement so I am still not eating! Whew!

You get cold because of the low insulin. That is normal.

I have to eat more salmon. Got salad today with tuna. No time to make hard boiled eggs last night but will get by!

Enjoy your day, and nice going!

I feel as though my progress is glacial in pace. When I tried 5:2 last year I lost an average of 1lb. per week. I’ve been doing 5:2 for 3 weeks and only lost 1lb. I count my my calories every day, 1,200 non-fast, 500 fast, except Saturday and Sunday, however I’m mindful of my intake and don’t go crazy. I also am more active during the weekend so the extra calories are balanced out by more activity. But I’m not losing weight like I would prefer. I want to lose 10-15lbs and don’t have a time table. BUT, I’m not seeing the progress that I’ve had before and am disappointed and frustrated. Any suggestions would be helpful!!!

good job! keeping it …

Epic, what are you eating on non fast days? Breads, pasta, rice, sugary stuff? That will all pack the weight on, negating your fast.

When Mosley said to eat “normal” on our non fast days, I don’t think he knew what some of our diets were like!

I was eating a lot of bread and peanut butter, and other stuff with hidden sugar, so loss slowed considerably. Once I got a handle on that, it started up again.

Another hint: No snacking between meals, go as long as you can between dinner and the next days meals. I try for 16 hours. But even 12 is good. Also, eat protein for your first meal of the day.

We will help you figure it out!

Hi Epic,
    I have cut bread out all week, and I only have 2 slices on a Sunday morning, if i fancy it, I have also cut out potatoes, but not sweet pots, as they are good for you and lower.
    I limited my meat intake as well, and of course drinking is a killer, and the size of the portions, I used to over cook and eat, as I was brought up not to waste food, but I have had to learn to not cook so much.

i also now use a calorie counter on google, to see what calories are in food, on all my days, I was so shocked to see that things like sun dried tomatoes are very high, yet melon is very low, so really I think this is a change of life and not only on 2 days per week, we have to combine that we what we eat in the other days, but I do have a treat 1 day a week now, hope this has helped , I lost every week and then last week nothing, my weigh in is this wednesday and i hope I have lost

Well totally fed up this morning, got on the scales and only lost 0.01 of a kilo, hardly worth recording, I have realy tried hard this week and am certian that I have not over eaten at all, I am keeping to my 500 a day on FD, and thats split between lunch at 2.30 and dinner at 7.30, I do 2-3 lots of exercise a week, and walk my dogs with leg weights twice a day.
    what the hell am I doing wrong, is it time to add in another fast day?
    HELP

Hey Ohlala,

Don’t loose heart. I sometimes think the scales are out to get me!

It’s always galling after a particularly hard fasting day to see that weight loss hasn’t been as much as we’d hoped for, but then on other days when the fasting hasn’t seemed to be so hard the opposite happens and the weight has fallen off!

I am learning to balance out the peaks and troughs of joy and dissapointment of what the scales tell me… the inner workings of the body are a mystery and hopefully the hard work you put in this past week are having a deeper health benefit rather than purely shedding the kilos.

Keep on keeping on and fingers crossed for the next weigh-in. You’re doing great!

Thank you, I have just looked at my TDEE, as didnt have a clue apparently i have 1874, and as long as i eat under that a day i should loose, i dont have anywhere near that though, i have decided to do another fast day today and tomorrow, so 3 on the trot, god hope I can do,it so far so good not that hungry, will have a omelet for lunch and a small chop and aubergine for dinner, and nothing again until tomorrow, around 2ish, its along time i am going 16hours between food, but I can do it

Do you figure your tdee with your current weight or your goal weight? Also, it tends (in my opinion) to run high. How often do you weigh yourself? Only weigh once a week. And if you don’t like what you see, I immediately do another super good fast day, and weigh the next morning. It takes the body a day or sometimes 2 to reveal the results of the previous day. It isn’t immediate.

Read the labels on EVERYTHING you eat.! Carbs hide everywhere! Increase protein and good fats.

Excellent job on doing 19:5, or 16:8 or whatever you can manage.

No TDEE with current weight, I think its high as well,
    I weigh once a week, that’s what i am doing today another fast day and tomorrow another so 3 on the trot, as i was on one yesterday.
    But feeling really tired now, and I had my lunch but still feel hungry, going to get a cup of earl grey, and might finish work early today.

i might change my weigh in to a Friday am, as then i would have had 2 FD’s in in that week, and the weekend i do normally eat a little more, so that might help me a bit, but it will balance out.
    Just feel fed up today husband is away working and weather crap and I am just tiered feeling sorry for myself sounds like that to me, I will have a good talk to myself over a cuppa, thanks for listning

That is why I weigh myself on Saturday morning! I want to get in every last fasting minute I can…then , let the eating begin!

Try eating more protein. The plan I am just starting (see my post on high protein no carb plan) is 75% protein, 15% fats, 10% carbs. When you eat protein, it fills you up better (not more, like eating 5 cups of lettuce!). Plus you (supposedly) can eat more actual calories but it won’t be stored as fat. So I combining a lot of things! I figure throw as much as I can at it, and something is bound to stick…well, hopefully not the fat, lol!

Enjoy your cuppa (I think that is a coffee? ) I just made myself one also, though I am stuck at work!

Talk to you soon!

Oh, and I chew gum a lot…help with the tummy grumbles when I get them.

Hi Ohlala:

Here are some tips and explanations of what is going on with your 5:2: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

I generally sit back and watch people explore various ways to lose weight as they try to find what works for them, but every once in awhile I see ‘advice’ that could be dangerous or is simply wrong. Such is the high protein diet fitnfast has recommended to you.

It may work for fitnfast (apparently not started yet, so doesn’t know but is still recommending it) but it is long established that eating too much protein can cause illness and other damage to the body. The ‘recommended’ amounts of protein to eat in a diet are generally around 25%, not to exceed 35%. I highly recommend you adhere to those guidelines.

Good Luck!

Simco, why do you always assume, or read into my posts, that I am recommending something “dangerous”. I am simply recounting what I am doing because I am in the same situation.

Of course, you are the one who said exercise is “dangerous”. You are not the be-all, end-all of the weight loss world. I know you have a lot of experience, and I respect that, but you don’t have all the answers.

If one researches diet and obesity info, there are several if not thousands of research papers, opinions, etc for every point of view, all backed by science or others experiences. How long did the respected medical community tell Dr. Atkins that he was recommending something “dangerous” and “crazy”? Me simply telling someone that it may be beneficial to increase their protein isn’t dangerous. I think most people are intelligent enough to not go out and eat ALL protein and NO fats or carbs. It is almost, if not totally, impossible to do anyway.

I can’t stop you from posting, any more than you can me, but I would appreciate it if you would be less antagonistic towards me. I don’t think people want to read negative, derogatory comments. We are all here to help each other. It is up to each person what they decide to do, and what works for them.

Thank you

Hi fitnfast:

Of course, I have never said exercise is dangerous – perhaps you should read a bit more closely. If you had, you would have read that I said exercise is the best thing you can do for better health (except if you smoke, stop smoking).

That is what I observe you doing – going around, reading, maybe not accurately understanding what you read, taking bits and pieces of things you read, and immediately throwing them out there as ‘suggestions’. You said ‘try eating more protein’ and then said you were going to eat 75% protein, as an example of what you meant. Science is clear that that level of protein is not healthy for humans – sorry, even if you read some book or internet site that said otherwise.

A recent example of what I mean – there was a recent news story of a man that got into a car accident and while being treated at the hospital discovered his kidneys were failing. He had no idea. Let’s say that man did not have an accident, read your post, wanted to lose weight, and started eating high levels of protein. His kidneys would have failed much faster than they were, and he might have been in much worse shape much more quickly than he would have been had he not eaten all that protein to lose weight. You have to understand you have no idea who will read your posts, what their physical conditions will be and therefor will have no idea what might happen to them if they follow your advice.

I would suggest that you continue your reading, read more broadly, throw in some reading on biology and biochemistry, and do all of the experimenting you want on yourself to find what works for you.

But please don’t suggest dangerous paths of experimentation to others, even if you are suggesting them in good faith without knowing they are dangerous. Unfortunately, you get the same results either way.

Christ, i didnt expect all that on my post, Fitfin, I understand that you are only trying to assist, and only giving my your knowledge of what you are doing, and I am happy with that,SIM I am intelligent enough to know that If I hear something i will look it up first, and i am sure most people would research something before just going and doing it. fit is not a docter and is just a person letting others know what works for her as this is a fourem open for anyone to voice what they think, its a not a professional GP site.
    I appreciate what your saying, but can we stick to the problems we all are having, and not get bogged down in petty posts about who said what and why they shouldn’t have.
    My protein is over half of what I eat anyway so its about right, I do balance my meals very well, I am adding in another fast day a week now, so this is day 3 yesterday I did have about 600 and it was fine, today I thought I would steal the dogs food but have not had a thing as yet and am fine, I will change my weigh in to a friday so may have a sneak tomorrow, but the one that will count is next Friday, I have decided to keep my caleris to 1300 a day except on a Saturday and I am not even counting them, I have emailed a personnel trainer to see if he can fit me in once a week for punishment, I am fighting this and I am the one in control bring it on

Well, havent posted in a little while, and I must say if anyone is interested i am doing very well.
    I have now added in a 3rd FD, so I am doing Monday/tuesday and then thursday and this is the 2nd week of that, I have not weighed yet not until Friday, but for sure I know I must have lost, my tum has gone right down my arms and legs look smaller, and the best bit I notice my jeans are a little loose around the band and the bum, get in.
    so anyone reading keep going, i do also watch what I east the rest of the week except for Saturday like Fitfin I dont and I do have a desert, and a coupl of glases small of wine.
    Next Friday i am away for the weekend so wont be doing it then, but for sure will be getting right back on it, as I have a Italina holiday in September and I am so going to be a lot lower

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply.