I am a binger – any info on fasting and bingeing

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Science of intermittent fasting
I am a binger – any info on fasting and bingeing

This topic contains 3,042 replies, has 111 voices, and was last updated by  Delayedgratification 4 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 201 through 250 (of 3,046 total)

• Comspring, thanks very much for your good thoughts – they must have worked because I seem to have broken the plateau with a lost of nearly 5 pounds in 3 days. I’m not really taking it seriously and expect to see myself up again on Monday, but I hope that the trend continues and that I’ll be under 185 on my next official weigh-in, Monday. Today, however, I was all the way down to 182.9, from 187.1 on Monday. Crazy.

Today’s a fast day, too, so wish me luck, and best of luck to everyone else out there, fasting or not!

Hi everyone,
    Yesterday was a fast day for me and it was kind of tough. But I did it. And this group really helps me get through it. Also, just knowing that I can have whatever I want “tomorrow” helps a lot too. Next week’s fast days will be my challenge. Monday is Memorial Day, so I won’t have to work, and I will be with my sort of boyfriend all weekend and I haven’t told him about this. (He’ll just worry that I’m starving myself to death – as IF that were even possible!) – And then on Thursday the 28th, my niece is coming over from Ireland- so that will also be a challenge for me. It will be interesting to see how I handle it. I’m feeling pretty strong though. I will be sure to stay linked to you all for support!
    Enjoy yourselves!
    PeanutsFan XO

Hi everyone not been on thread for a bit – had a good week and lost 2lbs but since Wednesday of this week have been on some sort of non-stop eating frenzy – I feel so uncomfortable and wretched after bingeing and am torn up emotionally – its exhausting and depressing at the same time have been hugely stressed at work and it is on going – am trying to tell myself to stop the bingeing and continue with positivity on the 5:2 it is hard at the moment.

Hi there, I’ve just joined this site; I have done the 5:2 diet before for over a year, but because I am a (now recovered) compulsive eater it only helped for 6 months. I am back now because I have 18 months abstinence from my compulsive eating (I am a member of Overeaters Anonymous), and I hope that I can now manage better.

I see that many people are talking about bingeing; the problem as I see it is that a plan like this can (and did for me) obscure the problem under a veneer of doing well for 2 days a week.

There is a disclaimer too; it says you shouldn’t do this without medical help if you have an eating disorder.

If you are bingeing regularly, you almost certainly have a food disorder.

Sadly the medical community can be really slow to diagnose this, partly because we are so good at hiding it from everyone, even ourselves.

Please get eating disorder help from your GP or from Overeaters Anonymous (which is also also for bulimics and anorexics.) It is worth it, you are worth it, and it works.

My hope is that this plan will reinforce my abstinence and healthy eating, but it will never replace it.

Hi diananeriad and everyone here

I think you make some interesting points, diana. I think I have reached a similar conclusion, although by a slightly different route. My conclusion is, that I have to accept that I will always be a compulsive overeater, or at least will always have that tendency; and I need to find a way to change my behaviour, while accepting that I will never eradicate the addicted mindset.

I did attend Overeaters Anonymous for a year, about 5 years ago. I found it very helpful in many ways but eventually decided that, for various reasons, it wasn’t quite the place for me long-term. However, I wouldn’t dismiss trying it: it was a useful part of my ‘eating self-discovery journey’. I have also found the books and approach of Gillian Riley quite helpful. I have sort of evolved my own ‘programme’ now, of which 5:2 (and this forum) are major components.

I think that difficulties around food are part of a spectrum. I do agree that the further ‘extremes’ of that spectrum, such as anorexia and bulimia, will need more than 5:2 on its own.

Best wishes to everyone

Evening all, I’m coming to the end of another FD and doing okay, hungry but happy. Very pleased to hear of the plateau-busting loss sanguine!! Go you. Good to see you back peanuts and congrats on the FD success – the ‘I can eat that tomorrow’ trick has been so important for me too. fizzy – it seems the up and down can be part of the process sometimes so I propose a ban on beating yourself up and a fresh start tomorrow. I am convinced that the energy I wasted (and still waste at times) in feeling guilty and beating up on myself just make the whole thing worse. Wise words Bootsy and congratulations on your success too.
    Welcome diana, it’s good to have your thoughts on balancing an eating disorder with the desire for a healthier body and mind and I certainly take on board that the 5:2 site has a disclaimer about eating disorders. Of course, as you say, most of these disorders are self-diagnosed or diagnosed with the help of Dr Google and/or support groups because unfortunately so many of us do not disclose the issues we find shameful to our doctors.
    As someone with a binge-eating habit I have found both positives and negatives in doing 5:2 and on balance it has been very positive. I think part of the binge-eating mindset for me was a tendency to ‘all-or-nothing’ thinking and that then extended to 5:2. So, when I heard myself raving about how amazing the program was or despairing that ‘this will never work’ or ‘now I’ve blown it I’ll eat it all’ I recognised the same tendency. Then I could politely remind myself that there actually is a whole section on the dial that goes between 1 and 10 (that is, the 2-8 that I generally ignore!) and that I should not be looking for a miracle cure for anything that requires daily, dogged effort to work through. In other words 5:2 wasn’t going to be a solution but a tool.

For me 5:2 has (is) totally re-calibrating my attitude to food in ways that after 10 months of it I am only just beginning to appreciate and which I am hopeful do reflect some long-term neurological change and that’s very, very exciting. I’m also aware that like anyone with a particular ‘disposition’ I can respond to stress by reverting to type and then want to eat for Australia, although thankfully now I can usually pull myself out of that.

Even more important though is that I can now enjoy previously ‘forbidden’ or ‘trigger foods’ and actually just enjoy them for what they are: food stuff and not morally-laden time bombs about to go off in my hand (or mouth!) and tip me into a binge. It’s very liberating to not always worry that a taste will be the end of me (which of course became a self-fulfilling prophesy). Now I can say enough (okay 90% of the time 😉 ) and leave the rest for next time. That’s something I’ve gained from 5:2 with its focus on having to manage hunger and deprivation one day and not having to impose such deprivation the next day, unlike a conventional diet.

Anyway, enough raving on from me. I’m just very grateful that here is a community of people who come to share their very human experiences – sometimes this is to vent ‘post-binge’ or sometimes to look for strength and it’s all part of supporting one another. keep posting everyone 🙂

Hi peeps – back on wagon after falling off and putting on 8 lbs! Wish it was as easy to lose as it is to put back on. Am full of resolve and am aiming for 14b loss by august so can walk by a mirror without ducking down to avoid it – or am I the only one who does this? Answers on a postcard please….!

Good for you getting back on the wagon fizzy!! Yes, I have avoided mirrors and large shop windows for a long time, but funny thing recently was walking along past a large reflective shop window and seeing my reflection – I almost jumped when I realised and thought, is that ME??? It looked like a normal-sized person so I had to stop and check!!! Now I take a sneaky peek whenever I get the opportunity (but not too close as the wrinkles are still there!). The weird thing was I really didn’t think it was me. Good luck to those fasting tomorrow. I did great on Monday but then have been really hungry and eaten a lot the last 2 days, so tomorrow may be a little tough.

Morning come spring that must be a good feeling walking past Windows and mirrors without avoiding them – well done to you – how much weight have you lost and how long has it taken for you to lose it?

Hi Fizzy, well so far I’ve lost 24kg (about 52lbs) and I started 5:2 at the end of July last year, so slow and steady progress. I travel a fair bit for work (and recreation 🙂 ) and I haven’t fasted on those weeks so that accounts for about 10-12 weeks of no fasting in that time. Mostly I do good on a Monday and not so good on a Thursday but it still seems enough so I lose somewhere between 200gm and 500gm a week (1/2lb to 1lb per week). I still have a lot of weight to lose unfortunately, so it will probably be another 10 months to a year before I reach my goal. I am going away again shortly for about 4 weeks so I won’t fast when I’m traveling however I do find that traveling is a time when I tend to eat less for some reason. Are you fasting today??

Hi come spring yes am fasting today – so far so good…. – what an amazing weight loss you have achieved – and you still going strong! I am aiming to lose about 37lbs and that will put me in healthy weight range (just) think that would be enough for me as its pre having children weight! Never thought I would believe it to be possible to lose weight but I am encouraged daily by the people on this forum. Everyone is fab!

Good evening everyone! I hope you’re all well and being kind to yourselves. I haven’t been around for a bit and feel I’ve missed loads!

Fizzy & Spring, well done on your weight losses! I avoid windows too, and don’t get me started on changing room mirrors, these are enough to send me to the cupboards as soon as I get home from a shopping trip! Spring, you’re right to be pleased with slow and steady progress, it is better in the long term and for changing thought processes.

Penguin, I hope you feel you’re on top of your work, keep going as you’re doing great, and I think you inspire all of us here. (There’s some extra pressure for you!)

Queen, what happened with having only one meal on a non fast day? Did you try it? I think a calorie is a calorie is a calorie. Isn’t it just the energy produced when you burn a crisp or a bit of potato with a Bunsen Burner???

Jade…….A WEDGE OF LETTUCE????? ARE YOU MAD, WOMAN?????????????? I do like the sound of Chrissie’s kidney bean and tofu salad, it doesn’t sound like salad because it doesn’t have leaves in it.

Well, I’ve had a mixed couple of weeks. I only managed one diet day last week. I did Thursday ok, but woke up on Sunday and I didn’t want to do it. I just wanted a normal Sunday. So I didn’t.
    I managed one yesterday, and I have to admit that I’m finally finding the fast days easier in terms of craving food constantly. I can’t explain why, but at least the day is easier.

Today I tried on some tops I haven’t worn in ages, and they fit! I think it was mainly round my back and shoulders that I could see a difference. I need to get some new (ahem) underwear, which I always find really stressy, but maybe I can put up with trying on stuff now I know I have a choice of things to wear. I also managed to put on my newly washed jeans, whereas I usually have to squeeze in and wear them a couple of times for the fabric to soften. I’ve not lost any weight, though. I’m hovering between 12st 1 and 12st 2, and I need to push to get under 12 in the next couple of weeks.

Getting into clothes is usually the point in a diet where I would stop, and eventually (pfft! I mean immediately) fall back into old habits, as I suppose I would see this as an end point, so I need to power through and not get to excited as I’m still far away from my goal weight.

Keep going all!
    xxx

Just reading your post, and thought it would be helpful to point out that all calories are not created equal, so to speak. Different kinds of food affect your body in different ways. Carbs, protein, and fats are each metabolized differently, and affect insulin levels in different ways. That is the basis of Atkins and other low carb diets. Carbs, especially refined and heavily processed, spike insulin, which is almost sure to end up as fat.

Hi Helen.
    What a lovely feeling when your clothes fit again! I’ve got so many lovely clothes waiting for me when I get a little bit lower in weight.

Stress makes me eat so I’m going to have to be very careful as I’m playing at a concert tonight! I’ll be fine beforehand but when I get home I’ll have to go straight to bed or I’ll raid the fridge!
    I got my leccy bill yesterday and had eaten a unplanned bowl of my son’s high cal meusli before I realised it! It’s like something takes over (Mr Hyde strikes again!).
    Have a great day everyone!

Hi Chrissie, how was the concert? I hope you were ok when you got home.

I read this today:

http://thisislifeblood.com/the-only-thing-our-soul-wants-to-eat-is-love/

and it got me thinking about fear and binging as self sabotage. Why is it so easy to binge at the end of a good day? Why do I want to sabotage all my good efforts? What is it about being successful that makes me fearful? Actually achieving a slimmer, healthier body and being able to do all the things I imagine I could do if I was at my goal weight is quite worrying, yes?

Hi Helen! The concert went well thanks inspite of terrible nerves and freezing fingers! My other half is a guitarist and he was also having problems! He had a drip hanging off the end of his nose which threatened to land on the guitare at any second !! It’s not easy to harp with cold stiff fingers and whoever organised the event in the ‘Halles de Gouarec’ which is a beautiful old building consisting of a roof and lots of big, open arches was obviously hoping for warmer weather!
    I will read your link tonight.
    Have a lovely day!
    Chrissie.

Hi everyone! How are you all. I have been away from posting but have been reading everyone’s posts with interest. Welcome to the new posters!

Well not only do I like to be greedy, but predictable. Sure enough, I got closer to looking like a normal person rather than Toad of Toad Hall, and everyone started noticing I had lost weight, and telling me, and then I started going “oh now I can eat what I like”. And doing less fast days, and cheating, and eating butterscotch, and croissants, and baking cookies… cos that’s what thin people actually do, right? Wrong. Back to being Toad of Toad Hall.

Anyway done my first (nearly) proper fast day for a while (600 cals). Feeling very hungry now but also trying to be positive and think I am glad I caught myself early rather than 12 months later when I am suddenly 20 lbs heavier and only realize when I see a photo and think “oh who is that poor fat woman” and then realize it is me….

It’s so lovely to see you all on-line again Helen, Chrissy, fitnfast, fizzy and mcca – welcome back!. I enjoyed reading the link Helen and could certainly identify with the ideas there although the brain plasticity theory also has a few things to say about why we crave and the pathways that are ‘crossed’ in early experiences that link food and pleasure with ways of managing anxiety/bad feelings. A multifaceted approach is needed to battle this one, that’s for sure.

mcca – you are so right about the slow trip down denial (not just a river in Egypt 😉 ) and that self-talk is so easy for me to hook into – I have had exactly the same experience recently. I am officially back on the wagon after 4 days of assessing students during which the staff tea room was filled with food both healthy and treats alike… so much so that Monday’s fast was something of a relief!

Take care all and keep up the good fight x

Extraordinarily bad binge yesterday, started by a biscuit at work in the morning because I had to take a headache pill. It was all downhill from there and I was feeling sick by the time I went to bed (it’s a shame I wasn’t!). Anyway, I’m going for a fast day today. It shouldn’t be too hard as I’m so disgusted with myself that I want to slap my own face everytime I think of food!!! 🙂
    Have a lovely day. It’s a bit soggy here in Brittany.

LOL!! 🙂 I had to laugh at the “I want to slap my own face everytime I think of food!!!” Chrissy. So know the feeling although I sometimes think ‘Am I sabotaging my efforts just so I CAN punish myself??” Weirdly wired, that’s me.

I’m heading away for work (and holiday) shortly and so will be reliant on intermittent/possibly dodgy Wi-Fi and may not be checking in quite as often over the next 4-5 weeks. Traveling is always easier for me food-wise so I don’t anticipate any problems and won’t have the cash to binge while I’m on my traveling budget (once the work expense account is no longer available 😉 ). I’m heading up to the Northern hemisphere so the rain better ease off and the sunshine start 🙂

Good luck to all fasters out there.

Hi All! I discovered your forum and have spent a couple of days reading all the posts. I feel (as others have said) as if I could have written most of them myself.
    Last year I successfully used the 5:2 method to lose weight. Then came the vacation. Followed by Thanksgiving and Christmas. I have been overeating/binging ever since. It has been very hard to find the motivation to get myself under control again. This forum had been a godsend.
    Comespring: Safe travels and healthy eating
    Chrissie: Sorry to hear you had a bad day. Here’s wishing you strength and control for the day.
    Mcca: Congrats on getting back on course.

MichelIMB welcome!

Wonderful day yesterday. In control and not hungry.A great feeling.

Have a great day everyone.

Chrissie: So happy to hear you had a good day. It will show on the scales.

I also had a successful FD. Nothing to eat till dinner, then a little splurge with an avocado enchilada. I ate it very slowly with 2 glasses of water.

Now for the hard part, a non-FD. My plan is to wait till I’m “truly” hungry before eating. Hopefully that will be around lunch time. No treats in the office today so I may make it.

Be strong………you are in control!

Thanks comespring, I can’t tell you how much comfort your post has given me. I’m sitting after yet another binge feeling awful (physically and mentally). But something inside tells me That this 5:2 is the right thing for me and the more posts I read like yours the more I’m sure. I think I’m going to give it a go and do my first fast day tomorrow. Not eating feels like it’ll be easier than trying to eat ‘sensibly’ lol.

Hi all have read songbirds post and would like to add my acknowledgement that rethink most of us on this thread feel the same way – keep with it if you can – this is one of the few eating plans that I have actually managed to stick to (with a few bad days!) But I have come back to it – think am slowly coming to right head space with food – still come off the rails with odd binge but I don’t think on these occasions that am eating as much as I used to – physically I think I get that uncomfortable feeling more quickly and it stops me from eating – the forum really helps me too as I realise there are plenty of people like me! Fizzy

Hi between my bad typing and this kindle I make errors – it should have said Wendy Bird! Rethink should be I think!! Phew…..typos

I’m starting to obsess about having a piece of chocolate. The bowl is just sitting there calling to me every time I move around the office. I know 1 will never be enough. 1 always leads to 20! If I can just hold out for 30 more minutes………

Good morning all, so my first fast day, feeling a bit nervous but positive. Thanks for your post Fizzy, it’s nice to read that you’ve had the odd binge but still kept going. As Spring said I indulge in ‘all or nothing’ thinking and in the past have thought a plan is no good for me if I binge rather than just persevering.
    I love reading all your posts as I don’t really have anyone to talk to about all this xx

Hi Wendy! How is your fast day going?

When I started the biggie for me was that it is not ‘all or nothing’ and being able to eat normally tomorrow is a massive help and relief. Don’t expect perfection straight away, it’s better to get a handle and become confident with doing fast days before you tackle any other change to your lifestyle.

Lots of luck, I hope you find it helps you.

Hi All!
    Wendy: I’ve been sending you positive FD vibes. Hope it is going well. Keep drinking 0 cal beverages to help fill you up. I love water with fresh slices of orange & lemon.
    Stay strong & in control

Hi everyone. I’m checking back in as I’ve had a really hard week of kinda-bingeing and not taking the diet very seriously. I need to get back on track as, now that I’m out of school, it’s going to be VERY hard to fast. In fact today was supposed to be a fast day but that went out the window. I’d really love to hear from anyone who has plateaued and gone off the deep end and then recovered and kept losing weight. I felt/feel as though I’ve stalled and the diet doesn’t work anymore, but I know that’s not the diet, it’s me….

And who wants to fast with me tomorrow??? I’ve got to make it through one day!

HI all!

I hope you’re all well.

Penguin, it’s great to be out of school, yay summer! Can you set a routine for your fast days like a timetable, and make plans to be busy for them so your mind is occupied?

I’ve definitely plateaued. I haven’t weighed myself for a couple of weeks as my last fast day was May 27th. This is for a couple of reasons. It was just my birthday, so poop to dieting! Also I felt drawing a line under it at the end of May was best as I’m off to summer camp until September, and I feel I simply won’t be able to fast at all.
    I will be ludicrously busy though, and every summer I work there I lose a bit of weight because of this.

I hope to apply some of the lessons I’ve learnt here by having a couple of days a week of ‘semi-fasting’, where perhaps I eat really small meals, and just drink water. Or I might be able to have a weekend where I only eat dinner. We’ll see. I’ll still check in here though for inspiration, if that’s ok?

I was trying on some trousers in Dorothy Perkins today, and while they looked terrible for my shape (I still have really heavy legs) they were a size 14! I haven’t been able to get their 14s up past my knees for years!!! Yippee!

Hi All!
    Last week went so well. I was in control of both my FDs & the non-FDs. It felt so good.
    Then in came the obsessive thoughts of food. 3 days of overeating/binging and I feel awful. I have no energy and my weight is back up where it was 3 weeks ago. It just does not seem possible.
    I’m trying to fast today and I’m just not sure I will make it.

Helen: Congrats on the size 14s. I hope you are able to use what you have learned & lose weight over the summer.

Penguin: How did your FD go? I hope you made it. I feel as if we are in the same boat. Trying to get back on top and in control seems impossible when all I can think about is a box of donuts.

I just read an interesting fact from Gary Taubes: when you don’t eat enough protein or fat, you very soon after eating carbs, even good carbs, you are thinking about and craving food.

Try eating a steak or some meat. See if you have cravings afte that.

That is why you have cravings after eating sweets or carbs, and can overeat those, but you rarely if ever overeat pork chops or meat.

Ladies, I can’t tell you how glad I am to have found this forum. I am the binger who not only binges in the evening in front of the tele, but who actually gets up in the night, sneaks out of bed and chomps away on jars of Nutella. I always felt deep burning shame afterwards, but an odd sort of “Ha! No-one knows, I can eat anything and everything,” Until my husband got up for a glass of water at 3am the last night and found me face down in a tin of caramel! You know, the type you use to make banoffee pie? WTF!?! It’s not even actual food!

So I find myself here, reading all your posts and I realise I’m not alone in the world. I’d always thought that I was some kind of freak because I couldn’t deal with food like normal people do…. The one time I did confess to a friend she said “eat when you’re hungry and stop when you’re full, it’s easy”. Yeah, right, thanks for that, I would have never thought of that on my own! Sheesh.
    Anyway, I just wanted to say hi, and thank you to all of you for being brave enough to share your experiences here – your words bring comfort to others more than you can know.
    Oh yeah, I’ve started 5:2 also. 11lbs down since 5th May, hoping to lose another 40.
    Best wishes to all x

Kitty: Thanks for sharing your stories. I have yet to be caught in a binge and have no idea how I would explain the empty pizza box or ice cream tub. Your 11lb lose is an inspiration. Good luck on 5:2

Hi Everyone! No, my absence has not been because I have been off rollerblading in a bikini… it’s been a guilty skulk around a kitchen cupboard. Too ashamed to fess up and face up to what I have been doing. I’ve been reading everyone’s posts but haven’t posted was in massive denial and didn’t want to admit how low I have fallen.

Also been off the wagon. Penguin – are you back on yet? Yes I have fallen off and gotten back on again in the past. It works but ONLY IF YOU DO IT. I’m shouting at myself there. Cos I spent the week starting to do fast days and then pigging out by dinner time. Don’t give up love – it isn’t about how you fall, it’s about how you get up again. It’s unrealistic to think of being able to do this every week, forever… some weeks you just won’t want to. So just make sure you pick yourself up, dust yourself off and start again.

Kitty – welcome. Sounds like you fit in here! A tin of caramel, in the house? An elementary mistake. I have spent the day eating sugar icing figures that are older than my children because they were the only thing I could find that looked like it might be sweet enough. I’d have wrestled you over that tin of caramel. 🙂

I have posted on other areas of this site and then happened upon this link. Where have you been all my life? LOL. I am soooooo tired of feeling like some sort of freak by people saying EXACTLY what Kitty mentioned, ‘eat when your hungry…..stop whr
    En you are full.’ I have been Low Carb/ High Fat for 6 months and if one more person tells me that they can’t believe anyone can have an appetite while in ketosis. I maintained ketosis for over 2 months (eating less than 20 grams of carbs daily) and yes I ate the heck out of cheese and meats. My binging can be almost anything.

At any rate, I found some people that can relate and who won’t scold and correct me. I am afraid to eat wheat or grain products and decided since I am used to being without them, and I could eat truck loads, I’m not going to add them to my diet. I have been eating fruit and a lot more veggies. I love them and have really missed them.

I had a successful fast day last week but have not this week. I attempted Tuesday and yesterday but ended up eating over 500. Not a lot over, but over. I fast for, usually, 18 hours daily. I’d rather have a ‘binge’ then try to spread my calories through the day.

My boy friend and I bought a house, we settle on Monday and move on Tuesday. I’m super stressed with packing, wrapping my work responsibilities up to take a week off and, did I say packing?? Lol
    I live in the states, east coast. Fitnfast? We go way back!!! Lol.
    Thanks for listening, er, reading my vent.

Morning all!
    I managed a successful fd yesterday. Waited till dinner to eat and was just under 500 cal. I feel so much better today. Much more alert & energetic. It always amazes me how bad I feel after a binge day and yet I still over eat and make myself miserable. Why? why? why?

Well, today is not one of those days. My montra for the day: I’m in control of what I put in my mouth.

Here’s hoping everyone makes good choices today

I simply adore all of you here.

Mcca—eating sugar icing figures… I laughed out loud because I have SO been there. My latest has been eating chocolate baking chips out of the bag by the handful. Frozen. I wish I could understand it. Several days ago I polished off a wheel of brie in two days, along with two sleeves of saltines. Again, I wish I could understand it.

I had a pretty good fast day on Tuesday. It was spotty because I made cookies early in the day while telling myself that I wouldn’t eat the cookie dough because it was a fast day. Turns out I’m an exceptional liar, but only to myself. That said, I used some restraint and finished the day with a green salad. I would say I was closer to 600 cals but not much beyond that. I’m not sure if today is a fast day or not, but I haven’t eaten anything yet just in case. It’ll depend on what the hubs wants to do today when he gets home from a meeting. So it’ll be either today or tomorrow. Or Saturday. Whatever.

I’m so completely undone by having seen a very low weight and now being back to where I’ve been for weeks. I want so desperately to get out of this slump but it seems the harder I try the harder I fail. I’ve begun exercising again because I don’t want to be out of shape for a 5K I’m doing in August, but also because I feel as though I need the boost of calorie burning and sense of accomplishment that I’m not otherwise getting. And all of this after saying I wouldn’t use exercise to lose weight—that it HAD to be about the food.

It’s so lovely to be able to discuss behaviour so aberrant to ‘normals’ isn’t it, as Natmau said, without fear of judgement or ‘getting a row!’

Mcca – the tin of caramel was well worth a wrestle! Honestly, it’s like crack, so addictive! I have now given other such items to my MIL, you were spot on – it was a rookie mistake having such deliciousness in the house.

Well done to everyone for speaking up – we all have our private struggles with food, but perhaps making them public in this way with like minded souls will help us to break the binge/guilt/deepburningshame/Ihatemyselfimsofat/bingeforcomfort cycle. It doesn’t matter if we slip up, as long as we can find the strength to get back on the wagon.

I’m in control of what I put in my mouth……excellent inspiring words. I will be saying this over and over to myself tomorrow on FD.

Hi all you lovely people – have had a run of absolutely crumby days at work involving all sorts of stress and hassle and that’s before coming home to looking after my boys! All fasting seems to have fallen by the wayside (again) Tried to fast today got to about 4.30 after consuming approx. 250 calories and it all proceeded to go down hill from there – found myself stuffing in all sorts of things such as crackers with lashings of butter on, chunks of cheese, bread, etc felt really uncomfortable and disappointed with myself – am trying to keep in mind that after years of dieting and bingeing it will take more that 7 weeks to sort my bad habits emotionally and physically! Will try for another fast day next week,, maybe Monday. I am thinking I need to be kind to myself over the weekend so will not go mad stuffing my face but will not restrict myself to the 500 calories. Will see what next week brings….. a

Hi everyone – I’ve just now caught up a bit on the postings. Have been traveling and mostly without Internet OH THE HORROR. I may have missed a sex scandal or two.
    Every single one of you is an inspiration to me. I almost died reading about being face-down in a tin of caramel!! Have so done that, with marshmallow fluff. Welcome Kitty, and also Michell, and NatMau, and Wendy!

Traveling and fasting has not worked for me. No salads, Helen!! Aside from all the regular opportunities to eat, I confess to saying I was off for a walk, and I did indeed walk straight to the ice cream wagon!! Ugh, you silly cow, I thought. I am working hard to get to the day when I can overeat a bit without all the mental recriminations. It is a binge mentality. But I acknowledge that food itself is a trigger for me. I think I may just have to eliminate breakfast forever. I feel like I have a calculator in my head that goes “cha ching, if this were a fast day, you’d have only 100 calories left,” at which point my brain seems to go into pre-hurricane mode, wanting to stock up on bread lest I lose a pound or two waiting out the storm.

Another confession: is anyone else keeping the whole thing a secret? I haven’t even told my husband. He has no clue that there was no breakfast or lunch before the light supper on a FD, I know this must be about ego, shame, love, etc., and thank you for that link Helen. Also about control. I want to be the one who controls the right to eat too little or too much. I know that every time I have told people I am on a diet I immediately want to eat an entire bakery. And darn if I don’t then plot the crime and commit it forthwith.

Ha mcca, Toad of Toad Hall, I also thought I had this whole problem licked, when things were going great, but I can tell I have gained some weight on my travels, despite walking a LOT, and NOT just to the ice cream cart lol. But there are no scales around, save the ones for luggage at the airport. Think they would mind if I hopped up there for a weigh in?? I dont think getting arrested would be good for my figure, what with 3 meals a day and all.

I will be back in the groove next week. Sigh,,,it’s tough to do a fast day, i don’t care how many I’ve done, but it’s still not as tough as dieting all the time. And I refuse to give up, which would be the biggest sabotage of all right? I’m grateful to at least be at the point where I don’t consider a binge to be “giving up”!

Hugs to you all, onward and downward xx jade

Hello to everyone, hope you are all well today.
    It’s been a bit of a sobering day for me so far. I have just been diagnosed with stage 2 non alcoholic liver disease, most likely caused by years of yoyo dieting and bingeing. To say I’m in shock is an understatement…. Now I HAVE to cut out fat and eat healthily, as my Dr said to carry on the way I’ve been will cause further scarring to the liver, cirrhosis and ultimately death. I am only 37.

So I guess I have new motivation to stop bingeing, esp. fatty foods.
    You know, all these years I have abused my body by stuffing it with everything I’ve wanted and never really thought about what it’s done to me apart from the visual rolls of fat. It never crossed my mind that my poor organs are drowning in a sea of fat and may stop functioning properly.
    Of course, all I can think about now is cake and ice cream. Red velvet cake and vanilla ice cream….jeez wtf is wrong with my brain! Food is killing me, yet I’m somehow hardwired to abandon all sense and pig out.

I know I’m a newbie here, but I feel like I’ve joined a little gang that actually cares about each other and I’m sure that having that support will help me through this.
    Right, enough whining and moaning, la le la think happy thoughts!

Big hugs to you all, lovely strangers!

Hi kitty sorry to hear about your diagnosis – stick with us on the forum and on the diet too – you will make changes to your life and your relationship with food – we are all behind you and can understand each other’s difficulties in eating habits – I can honestly say that this is probably the longest period of time I have managed to stick (loosely) to any eating plan it is do-able am certain – I get impatient as want weight to drop off quickly and when it doesn’t I get cross and demoralised but so far I have managed to keep going – we owe it to ourselves to continue – we are worth it!
    Fizzy

Morning fasters!
    Let me just say how much strength I find while reading your posts. It helps to know I’m not alone in my struggle.

Penguin: I wish I could bake & still come in @ 600 cal. I would have made a secret batch for just me. I can be so greedy with sweets. I agree: it is about the food, but exercising is always a good idea. Keep fasting & the weight will come off.

Kitty: I have eaten a few jars of carmel sauce myself. It is no longer allowed in my house either.
    My heart goes out to you in this difficult time. I don’t have the words to express all the things I want to say, but know that you are in my thoughts & prayers.

Jade: I would not say my overeating is a secret. I freely admit to co-workers & friends that I have food issues. My binging, on the other hand, is a secret. No one has a clue just how much I can eat. I have always managed to keep my weight in a “normal” range, so most people just laugh & say “sure- you have a problem with overeating.” They have no idea that I ate a dozen donuts on the way to work.

Question for the long time fasters out there:
    Have you ever gotten to a point where the cravings went away. I hear people say, “it just doesn’t taste good to me anymore.” I successfully did 5:2 for 3 months last year. I lost weight, felt good and still craved/dreamed of sweets. Do you think it is possible for people like us to ever “be free”? Or are we like alcoholics and every day will be a struggle?

Thank you fizzy and michel for your kind words, it’s heartwarming to have you all to talk to.
    The diagnosis has certainly stopped me from bingeing today that’s for sure, I’ve been visualising my liver surrounded by thick solid lard every time I think about eating junk. And it’s worked! It actually makes me feel a bit sick, thinking about it. Hopefully I can continue in this way and stick to healthy eating.
    I have to say healthy eating, every time I use the word ‘diet’ I instantly feel that I need to binge, it’s bizarre.
    It’s hard to know if we will ever be free of these mad urges to feast, but I certainly hope that we will be. The thought of having a daily struggle forever is too harsh! Maybe some form of therapy is needed….or maybe being hit on the head with a frying pan every time we binge – aversion therapy! Lol, I’m away with the fairies…..

Hi, hope everyone is enjoying the weekend so far…..
    I had a successful FD yesterday and have made a giant pot of mental (lentil!) soup for next week to save me cooking.
    What do you guys tend to eat on your FD? I’m a fan of weetabix and almond milk.

I’ve been through the posts from the start, following everyone’s journey. Im inspired by you all…the strength and determination you’ve all shown while doing 5:2 is truly awesome. Being able to discipline yourself to start again after having a break is always where I’ve fallen down in the past, I just think Oh what’s the point… But seeing how well you’ve all done is giving me hope that I will be able to do the same if I slip.

Thanks guys, wishing you all a damn fine and healthy weekend xx

Kitty: It is hot here so soup is out for now. But I make what I call fast vegetable soup when it is cold and it really fills me up. I usually eat 1 scrambled egg topped with 1 tbl of grated pepperjack cheese and 1 tbs of Hormel crumbled bacon bits. I try to eat it very slowly w/ loss of water. I will top it off w/ a little yogurt or 1/2 a protein bar. Mr goal on fast days is too keep my stomach full of liquid and just enough food to sleep good. I save salads for non fast days because I load them up with flax, chia and almonds.

I like your idea of aversion therapy. Over the years, I have been to 2 therapist for my eating. What we discovered is: I have no “real” reason to overeat. I had a great childhood and live a very middle class life with no real hardship. So, instead of having some big “issue/trauma” to work on; we focused on trying to be comfortable around food. Not obsess the whole time. So while in therapy I improved. Food no longer controlled my thoughts. Each time it would last for about a year after I was done w/ therapy. But each time slowly over time the obsessive thoughts have come back. My husband, who does not understand, has supported me but thinks I should be cured. I am hopeful that this wol will allow me to have my sweets (smaller portions) and the need to eat it all will ease over time.

I really enjoy all the posts here. I have contimplated over eaters anonymous in the past. I have issues with social anxiety and know I’d never be able to walk into a meeting. I think that part of my personality is so ridiculous. Just walk into a place for heaven sake. So ridiculous. But I know me. Is there such a thing as online??? Lol

I have had a headache for 4 days now. I don’t know if it’s food related or stress. I’m moving Tuesday-stress. I gave up artificial sweeteners and drank a glass of diet iced tea with Splenda- food related???? I have no idea. Just tired of nausea and head pounding.

Happy Sunday everyone and again, thank you for your personal stories that help others more than you know.

Viewing 50 posts - 201 through 250 (of 3,046 total)

You must be logged in to reply.