I am a binger – any info on fasting and bingeing

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Science of intermittent fasting
I am a binger – any info on fasting and bingeing

This topic contains 3,042 replies, has 111 voices, and was last updated by  Delayedgratification 4 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 2,201 through 2,250 (of 3,046 total)

• Well the last pig out session took me up a pound…. Oh the dieting woes….. This is such a familiar feeling!!! I have my work out tomorrow and I will take my frustration out in there and ramp up the good ole heart rate….I really don’t know why I can’t live without ice cream…. My mother and grandmother had to eat it everyday and I seem to follow suit… I did not grow up with them (they are my birth family that I met as an adult) but the ice cream addiction must be in my DNA!! For those of you that have this flavor– Moosetracks– in your state (it’s not in CA that I’ve seen) that is my all time favorite flavor…. Had it on a road trip a few years back….glad it’s not here or I’d have a lot more weight to lose than I already do!!

I think I should change my name to MooseT– that feels way more appropriate to how I feel tonight!!!

OMG CaliBikini…..I love Moosetracks ice cream! I’m not even a huge ice cream eater, but I can’t resist Moosetracks. If I’m in one of my out-of-control binge modes, Moosetracks is what I will go to….right after chocolate chip cookies and the thin Cheezies. Today is a nonFD and it’s been good. Was up a pound on the scale today so trying to stay on track (not Moose track…). It’s amazing how fast weight piles on and how painfully slow it is to lose.

Hey FastC- next time you get the Miosetracks urge please think of me!!! I can’t get a decent version of it here… Glad you had a good nonFD day- those are so hard for me!!! I struggle with the choices. I’m guessing we all do or we wouldn’t be on this thread!! So nice to have people that really understand this issue!! Tomorrow is a FD so I know I will make good choices!!

Hi everyone!

Hope you had a restful weekend. Chubster, you’re a true inspiration, I read your thread on rewards and it got me thinking, have not thought of rewards. Maybe cos this is my ‘second time’ around, I’ve been doing this for a year now, and had success between, August-Nov 2015, but after the ‘holidays’ just couldn’t get back into the groove. I think your rewards sound awesome, will think about it. Was also reflecting that I lost all that weight, 10 Ibs, (have put over half back on) by doing 4:3 and I was running, tbh I think that is quite a stress on the body and not wholly sustainable. I might try again but am mindful that it’s only temporary. I’m aiming for 8-10 Ibs between now and beginning of June, seems a bit of a tall order but will reward myself. Have quite a lot of clothes that I need to get into, so that could be the reward, as on a tight budget..

Annette, so fab that you’ve got into the running with your son, I think the exercise is a balancing act, and I read somewhere that “the body doesn’t lie” so even when I think, “that’s strange I did all that exercise, and I’m still not losing’ there must be some way there is no calorie deficit, which is my case at the moment. Despite a lot of exercise, I burn about 800 in a Latinfit class, (2 times a week) and practice of choreo, plus walk everywhere, everyday, and strength training…but somewhere along the line there is too much going in ;-0, yes I relate to the biscuit saga, opening a cupboard at work, is like a trip to Sainsbury’s, groaning with biscuits, I’m constantly wrecking goals by eating say 5 biscuits, 350 cals approx, why do I do this? After the Latinfit class I’m surprisingly ‘unhungry’ (rare in my book) but last year remembered I had this protein shake, which I mixed with almond milk and blueberries, you can get these from Holland and Barrett, or online, they are pricey but last for ages, and you can be creative with the mix, total calories when mixed about 250. Avoid soya if you have thyroid issues, which I do.

Sending positive vibes to all!!speak soon..

Tango

Hi all, so great to read from you! Hope you all had a terrific weekend and are ready for a new week 🙂 (with or without ice-cream)
    For the second week in a row now I am having my FD today on a Monday. So far I did them on a Sunday, but it is simply too nice to have a family dinner on Sunday evening. We went out to an Italian restaurant and I had a pizza! Had saved almost all calories of my daily TDEE for this occasion and it was super delicious – not least because I knew that it was fine and that I could thoroughly enjoy it and not feel guilty about it at all. I even had some red wine later at home and a few pieces of chocolate.
    I had it all planned out in advance on my calorie app/fitness app that is my best friend for 4 weeks now. Before that I never bothered to actually count calories and plan my food. Since I started the counting/planning I never had a binge attack – and I think the main reason is that I am allowing myself a little controlled something special every once in a while within the limits I set for myself.
    Of course, that might not be the great idea behind 5:2. I guess, the ultimate objective is to change tastes and habits, so that one doesn’t have the craving for some bread or sweet or wine anymore.
    Not sure that I will ever get there. Before starting 5:2 I was 6 months sugar-free. I didn’t have the craving for chocolate anymore, true. But I am enjoying my limited and carefully portioned chocolate BIG time now.
    As mentioned before: there is quite a bit of control involved either way. So, it is not that there is an easy way. Will always be work. But I rather have my mini, super tiny, planned binges 🙂 For now, that is. Who knows what will happen over time.
    The scales were good, too. Lost 0,6 kg last week. Am still doing quite a bit of exercise to get in shape and to have more calories that I can eat that day.
    Take all good care of yourself. Cheers, Karen

Tango, our messages crossed. I admire your past success! Since you did it before, you will sure find a way to get back on track. There is a right time for everything, and if you cannot do it immediately, then it is not the right time just yet. Great that you are reflecting about what is going on in your life, what might stand in your way. I cannot remember where I read it here, but one of you very wisely said that fast days should also be cleanse days, so days of physical and emotional cleansing, where we reflect on our lives/patterns/behaviors. Such a good approach, I find. Only if we can make our bodies and minds connect with each other, can we make this work for the long-term.
    Ha ha, not sure why I am writing down all these wise words, which might not be wise at all. Must be the fasting today 🙂 Feel free to ignore me completely 😉

Oh yes Chubs, perfectly tortured 😂 – though it’s been quite some time since I’ve read a sentence that long that actually used proper grammar, not to mention punctuation. I finally told a few of my Faulknerian students, “look, you can’t seem to do this, so please just write shorter sentences and everyone wins.” Oh for the days (long gone, apparently) when someone would have tortured them in grade school and spared me the agony; most are so set in their ways by grad school age that they think I’m the wrong one. Because of course they’ve been told they’re brilliant for 22 yrs. DARN IT JADE, STOP THE RANTING.

OK. So, after a felonious weekend assault on my self-control, I am determined to do this right this week. FD today, looking much better since I fell back into bed at 5 after the dogs needed a potty break. Actually brewed coffee and was going to stay up, but felt really queasy, NOT the best prelude to a FD. It’s why I gained over 50# when pregnant because I was always queasy, didn’t throw up (see? I can behave), but was only un-queasy when eating saltines or bread and the occasional banana split (calcium, good for the baby! and b/f my lactose issues). Then I gave birth to a champ of a kid with a champ case of colic and lost every bit and more w/n 3 months.

Well goodness, I’m feeling chatty today. Promised hubs I’d stay home today, and by that I don’t mean in the kitchen! One can hope. Karen, congrats on the scale news! I’ll do my best to get that body-mind connection going – wise words indeed. Also those to Tango – sometime it is not the right time, but the right time will come, and we know what to do. We aren’t hopeless; we’re actually pretty darn great just to be here giving a s**t about our health and sharing info.

CaliB I have had my fling with MooseTracks and every other ice cream flavor made! I’m not sure what brought on the lactose intolerance, but now, a bit of heavy cream in coffee is all I can stand. I remember in my early days here, talking about how I didn’t want to lose my love of sugar and that electric feeling of joy the sugar jolt gave me. But now that I lost my love of ice cream, I find I have other loves. Fruit especially tastes so much sweeter, and I mean it IS sweet but I just pfffted it before. So I’ll compare sugar to a bad boyfriend, the kind you think you just can’t live without. The kind who leaves you heartbroken, or so it feels, and eventually you get over him and actually wonder what you saw in him. That’s how I feel about ice cream, and increasingly about sugar in general. Living without it isn’t bad at all – life is just great in a whole new way.

Good lord I must have swallowed a tai chi book in my sleep! Time to get after this day and make something of it. Hugs dear islanders, good luck to all on the fast train, you can do it! 🚂😍🌴🌴jade xx

Focusing with pleasure on what I can have beats focusing with regret on what I can’t.

I will always be a binger. But I don’t have to be a practicing one! With the right food choices (right for ME) there’s been no binging. Finding 5:2 has been a godsend. It’s given me the calmness to to figure out a path, and as Jade said so perfectly: life is just great in a whole new way.

Jade, you are a certified hoot! I’m sorry your students torture you.

I know you’re talking about a real issue. I know there are ways my kids speak (and, no doubt, write) that set my teeth on edge. “Me” and “I”, for example. Of course I corrected them and explained why “I” needed to be used as the subject of a sentence and “me” as an object. And they got a *great*, if less structured education. They went to the *very* progressive lab school at UCLA where they were supposed to read their *sses off and “discover” grammar. But, all that aside, they couldn’t overcome the power of the colloquial. They may *know* better but they speak like everyone of their generation.

Most of all, language is a fluid thing. It make make me nutz if no one even *knows* there such a thing as a subjunctive anymore much less *use* it . …even if it *does* clarify whether we are making a statement or expressing a wish. And commas really have gone out of style. And maybe good riddance to a lot of them ’cause sometimes they help clarify and sometimes they just chop the (explicative) out of the flow. But there you are on the battle lines having to hold the fort down! You’re a valiant warrior, babe!!!

What does the MLS have to say about these things? And who, BTW, are our Académie française???

I hope it isn’t an army of 20yos in their pajamas on the internet. 😖

Jade, thanks for putting many smiles on my face today 🙂 Please don’t be shy to be chatty with us. Good for you that you can detach yourself from the sugar more and more. I like the comparison to the bad boyfriend and will try to keep that in mind. Even though I am right now more inclined to flirt with my bad boyfriend from time to time, but seeing through him, knowing full well that I need to keep him at a same distance or otherwise he will hurt me again 😉

Here’s what you need to consider, Karen, when you dump the bad boyfriend everything else begins getting better. …and EASIER.

Lol girls, I know whereof I speak – I married the bad boy and when THAT was over never wanted to see another man much less marry one again. But hubs came along (a writer😍be still my heart) then baby came along and what do you know, here we are still crazy and happy after all these years.
    Oh Chubs, you should’ve seen my face when one of my students was explaining to a reporter what we were studying and said, “Her and her husband had been defrauded….” I practically had to cram both feet in my mouth to keep from correcting him while the camera rolled. Ay yi yi and he is one of my smarter ones. I blame the internet and whatever this new movement is that thinks courtesy is overrated. OMG RANTING AGAIN.

All right on the 5:2 front: one banana consumed because cardio today involved cleaning out the fridge AND some weight exercises, boy my arms should be toned if I keep this up 💪 That took 90 minutes so I’m good on my pledge! Might make it thru the FD with a light dinner now that hubs has abandoned plans to stop at a Mexican place while we run errands. Yay! Let’s laugh ourselves skinny, shall we? I mean, why not, good for the soul, good for the bod. 😍🌴xx

What a wonderful bunch of smart ladies you all are, you make the thread a delight 🙂 It’s so good to know you’re holding that slippery lard baton secure for the times when we all get a little shaky (like now for me) and with a good deal of laughter to boot. What with seductive bad-boy boyfriends, ice cream named after large wild animals (exactly what flavour is Moose tracks..?!?) and the ingestion of tomes of Eastern wisdom when sleeping. All seems to be well on the Island of bingers, ex-bingers and dare I say it, normal people.

Welcome FastCanadian, it’s lovely to have you on the Island and you certainly fit right in – it’s so true about the fast-on/slow-off of fat but we’ll get there, one gram or ounce at a time.

CaliB – good luck in your quest to defeat ice-cream. There does seem to be something in the theory that even when people are separated early from birth relatives, there are some mighty surprising similarities that are evident on reunion. I find that really fascinating.

Annette – how’s it going? I recall it’s been a hard time for you recently but I know you’ll get through it. While there’s no doubt that a pound of fat & a pound of muscle ‘weigh’ the same, they certainly don’t take up the same amount of space so the whole clothes versus scales thing has a lot going for it.

Karen, you have my sympathy with the dreaded biscuits at work: I can really relate to the horror of that and it’s weird how food at work can have a whole different set of rules attached for me – it would appear that I think of work food as not-quite-real and therefore not likely to do me any harm. Haha, you’re back on the crazy bus there girl.

Chubs you are such a source of inspiration and of a particularly pragmatic kind that I quite lack – I always take something very practical from your posts, so thanks for that and your exercise regime is so impressive.

Tango (I love that name!) I too had to laugh at the CAN CAN list but good for you for focusing on the positive. I’ve been having a particularly long pity-party myself so your words (and your wise words too Karen) have really helped.

Lolly – loved your comment about not having to be a ‘practicing’ binger… so very true! You’re doing so well.

Jade, I am so totally with you on the issue of grammar. Like Chubs, I had the benefit of learning the ins and outs of grammar alongside the horror of the saints and martyrs, so while it was something of a mixed blessing (pun unintended 😉 ) I do appreciate being able to use the language relatively well. I’m not so sure when I’m grading said papers though and I find myself having to resist an urge toward ex-fenestration of the computer. I feel like a grumpy old lady and I daresay there are worse things in the world, although if I have to hear/read again about all the things I can obtain ‘for free’ I may need sedating.

Okay, well you may be pleased to know that I’m swaying like a champion again at the moment, and have wrested control of my little vessel from the dastardly lizards and have set sail for calmer waters. Not sure what the trigger was (very possibly you lot!) but I woke from my pity-party with a massive hangover and a desire not to go to another one for quite some time (not to mention never to call the bad-boy boyfriend I had hooked up with on the night 😉 ). I now have a clean FD under my belt and I’m positively glowing with the righteousness of my eating today. Of course I could be shortly overwhelmed as I drift into the tsunami-infested Bay of Hubris, but what the hell: I’m putting it out there and I’m going to succeed today!! Much love and THANKS to you all, Spring xxx

Lol Bay of Hubris😂 — just lay out on the beach a while dear Spring — no need to swim in dangerous waters! Congrats on the FD and feeling righteous! 🌴💪😍xx

Cheers to you Jade!! I have another FD almost under my belt – wavered a bit on my late return home and very hungry due to last FD being Tuesday rather than Monday which was a public holiday. And of course my righteousness of yesterday means hunger today… Still, there isn’t long to go so I’ll white-knuckle it as they say on Misfit Island [insert palm tree and cocktail emojis here] xxx.

Whey hey! Come Spring, that’s great news! such a good feeling to get the FD done and dusted! (almost) I’m not on FD today as revising for exam on Saturday, and my tiny brain needs all the nutrients it can get! I think I mentioned on this forum that I’m doing a qualification in Anatomy and Physiology, in an attempt to change careers! I’m hoping can eventually offer massage, Pilates and also baby/kids Zumba (already have Zumba license call mine Latin). As you can imagine this will take time, and hoping to reduce hours on day job eventually, let’s see. I’m a bit all or nothing, and quite impatient, but with this one have to be :(, also not sure about anyone else but in my perimenopausal stage of life, feel the clock ticking as if I have to lay foundations now for when I reach my senior years. Maybe cos I’m divorced and single I feel the pressure (grass is always greener though) Karen thanks for your support! I forgot to thank you a couple of posts back.

So how’s everyone doing with the ‘bad boyfriend’? lol, great analogy!
    Chubs how do you feel after the water fast? I’m beginning to think it could be the way ahead, as would mean quite a deficit in calories? I think sadly I read somewhere it causes muscle wasting, which I’m I don’t think is true, but stuck in my head, one reads so much rubbish online. I’m thinking of trying 2 water fasts next week and see how I go…will report back. The thought of 4:3 just makes me tired, and life is just to short, I think 2 days is probably my limit 😉

Still forging ahead with the can can approach, and recently added mayonnaise (a teaspoon, shock horror) to tuna, all of these fats I had been denying myself! silly, in small amounts they are fine. Soured cream also great in a dollop on and omelette..

that’s all for now, brilliantly sunny, but cold day here in UK..:)
    Tango..

Hi Tango!! Those Bad-boys are a BIG worry, aren’t they?? So much promise and so little delivered in my experience, although admittedly the ride can be an awful lot of fun before the inevitable fall… 😉 Good luck with the up-coming exam though and yes, eating well is something I tell all my students to do in exam week. I’m with you too on adding in some good fats everyday, there’s no doubt the Mediterranean diet seems to have a lot going for it health-wise. I’m also very much at a maximum with 2 days fasting a week and at this stage I just couldn’t voluntarily do a water fast. I have enormous respect for those who can (and more that a little envy) but it would back-fire on me big time, I know. Maybe in time – who knows what I’ll be capable of then – but for now I know my limitations – let us know how it goes if you do it.

I’m just off to bed now, feeling pretty pleased with myself and not so fearful about the weigh-in tomorrow. Sending you super vibes for your peri-menopausal brain cells to retain what ligament and tendon and bone goes where… love Spring xxx

Hi Spring, great to read from you. Excellent that you are hanging in there – and well done on the FD. That’s really the beauty about 5:2, that the FD have an almost therapeutic effect (even though they might be a tough challenge on the day itself).
    Tango, fingers crossed for your exam on Saturday. Can totally relate to what you are saying about laying the foundation now / or making one more big career change for the last part of our professional careers. I will start a new job soon, not too different though from what I am doing now, but still a change to a new shop. And this is meant to last then. I am not keen to make yet another change in 5 years or so.
    Anyhow, after thinking more about my bad boyfriend I decided to give it a go and try to do super low carb on my two non-fasting days, so Tuesday and Wednesday. Lolly had inspired me to look at such a diet. (you guys are all really amazing, without this group I would never ever try so many new things and take up new challenges). What can I say? It was way easier than expected. Not least because I was quite generous on the protein and fat. It was VERY nice to eat cheese and creamy sauces (without any carbs!) until I was full. Really full. And happy. I even had some salmon, something I usually not have because I am more or less a veggie. Less in that case I guess 😉
    Today is FD on which I never have carbs anyhow. Will continue tomorrow with the very low carb, am excited to see where this might lead me. But it is so true what I read all over this forum: if you don’t eat any bread, you hardly have any craving for sweets.
    To stay in the bad boyfriend picture: what is the bread then? The mean girl friend that introduces you to the bad guy, encouraging you to date him?

Congrats Spring!! Nothing like a little success to breed more success. If “breed ” is the right word 🤔
    And Karen you too with the LCHF on NFDs. For me, bread isn’t the bad boy that sweets are, but yeah, probably the mean girl who loves seeing others suffer, even if they don’t all end up suffering. Perfect. I personally haven’t gone without carbs successfully – I end up feeling too deprived and it only takes a little bit of bread (or rice, potatoes, etc.) to make life seem normal. Kinda why I appreciate the adventure we’ve all been on together, figuring out just what upsets our applecarts and what doesn’t.
    Tango, good luck with the brain work! Totally agree, you need the energy, if you’re like me (haha you’re HERE aren’t you?) your brain works hard and burns mucho cals when it’s going full tilt.

Too much Sturm und Drang here for a FD, but pretty restrained so far. Lunch out, nice French place, and I opted for the chicken & rice (with broth, not cream) soup, one small baguette slice, with just water to drink 💪 – I’m patting myself on the back for any good behavior!

Good luck to all who are on the fast train – choo choo 🚇🌴 – and here’s that cocktail, Spring! 🍸🍸xx

Haha Karen – I’m now seeing bread-as-pimp today following your comment about carbs being ‘The mean girl friend that introduces you to the bad guy’ Poor old bread. I’m not sure if this is a good thing or not but bread is only a problem for me because I only eat it toasted so it can carry LASHINGS of butter or be smothered in melted cheese. I don’t eat a lot of carbs as a rule as they are merely my favourite vehicle for fat, my all time downfall. The number of calories that can be consumed in no time at all is frightening for someone with no off button for cheese – only recently I devoured a truly divine local Triple Cream Brie (all 180gm of it) and when I checked the label out of (morbid) curiosity I’d consumed 696 calories… Yikes, and I didn’t even feel full and could have eaten another one to boot. I did of course notice the ‘serving suggestion’ of 30gm on the label… [insert embarrassed emoji here].

Dear Jade, many thanks for the cocktail and far be in from me to introduce a note of rationalism but I do hope the day settled for you somewhat? Are you still being wined and dined like a Fresh(wo)man, albeit on a better budget? 😉 I’m only jealous really. I confess to that vice quite a bit don’t I?? No doubt I need to meditate on that as well as on the pitfalls of cheese addiction. Still, despite the dairy-laden temptation all around, I’ve managed to shed one thousand, one hundred tiny, little, weeny grams of adipose tissue this week and very pleased I am too. Good riddance I say and may many more be quickly dispatched on the out-breath.

Good luck if you’re fasting your way through today, may you be resolute in your purpose and steely in your determination. And a shout out to Annette, Queen, penguin, mcca, caliB, lolly, chubs, caspersmum and many others who are on the Island – please drop in and keep us up to date on your struggles and triumphs. Love Spring xxx

Sorry to hog the airwaves, but I wanted to say that I’m doing really well on the 90-day challenge of 30 minutes of moderate exercise a day. Only once have I not met the target and on many of the days I’ve exceeded that by a considerable margin. It’s amazing how motivating it is to have put it out there and to feel accountable to this group, so thanks for that 🙂 I’d love to know how others are going with their particular challenge?? xx

Hi, I have been doing this for about 7 weeks. I lost 1/2 stone in about 3 weeks then plateaued. I kind of changed to 2:3:2 and exercise. Been doing the couch to 5k and only drink alcohol ( lots) on the week end try to be good 3 of my non fasting days. Good equals healthy and no puddings. I have now lost 16lbs and can run 5k less than 30 minutes. On my fasting days I eat asparagus and a poached egg , slice of ham and a tin of soup and buttered bread. Maybe apple/ orange. This is about my 600 calories. Knowing what you can eat and sticking to it works. I fast Sunday’s and Wednesday’s. This seems to work for me but I do get the odd dodgy tummy if I overload after fasting.

Hi all and welcome Frank- happy to hear about your progress– Spring you are a hoot and I always love your posts! Great way to start my day. Congrats on 30 min of exercises every day- that’s amazing! Today is my FD and I’m hoping it goes smoothly. Thanks to Spring all I can think about is buttered toast and cheese!!!
    I am at 9 lbs weight loss so far and it’s funny to me that no one has really noticed. I think I have to lose a little more before it becomes very apparent. I have started to spout about my weight loss method and strangely finding no arguments or resistance- people seem to be very open to this new way of weight loss in my small world– it is Santa Cruz so I guess they are used to way stranger things here than fasting!!!

Happy day to all!!

Comespring, I have this mental image of 1100 grams jumping off a cliff like tiny lemmings, never to be seen again!

Checking in to report that my 90 day commitment is still getting me up and moving. My legs are now noticeably stronger and my balance is improving, so thank you for that! If it weren’t for other less cooperative bits I feel certain I could walk much further.

Karen, I am delighted to hear the results of your trial with LCHF. Sugar and wheat addicts (like me) are astounded by the disappearance of cravings. I applaud your open mind and willingness to explore options. Listening to your body will lead you to whatever is the right way for you.

Welcome Frankster64, and best wishes for continued success!

Hello Everyone!
    Just a quick post to update you with my very unscientific experiment which is simply trying to stay below my TDEE and also not too have any biscuits. Mixed success or failure depending on how you define it!Days that have been biscuit free I have kept to my TDEE and not been looking for food all the time. Biscuits seem to lead me down the path of scoffing anything and everything, which backs up Lustig and what I had suspected for some time. I am an addict.
    I have been bored at work and it has been a struggle to keep away from those dear little packets of biscuits that are left out freely for consumption.But I am going to have to learn to avoid them every day. It can’t be that difficult, I have given up puddings every day and sugar in my tea, just those little perishers to get out of my life.
    I will update you tomorrow with any improvements on weight/measurements/clothes tomorrow , which will give me time to catch up with all of your posts…and there have been loads!

Hurray, Spring! 1100g less of you is an amazing result. So don’t worry about the cheese. Enjoy it! Loved your post.
    Welcome Frank, good luck with your journey. Sounds like you are right on track!
    Lolly, so glad to hear that you are seeing your progress with the walking. Getting your body back under control in so many ways, no?
    Cali, so true that it can be frustrating when nobody seems to notice the weight loss. But actually I think that many do, but do not mention anything for whatever reason. Some might simply be jealous.
    Annette, what a pain to work in such a biscuit friendly environment. We would all be tempted big time, especially when work is boring. Maybe thinking of these little packages as a bunch of cheap and low quality carbs with a value of maybe 1€/$/£? Nothing valuable,nothing that makes you stronger. I know, way easier to say than to do.
    Got to run, but will catch up on Sunday. Will check in though in a read only mode so please stay as witty and charming as always 🙂 xx

Annette and Karen Meier, the woman next to me at the office has a large container of chocolate. On fast days, I can resist, but otherwise….ugh. I blame HER for my weight gain.

Best ice cream EVER…Purity Ice Cream Mocha Chip from Ithaca, NY

She wouldn’t have if I sat next to her!!!!

Oh HO, a new idea emerges….2:3:2 🤔 I like it! Thanks and welcome Frankster 🌴 I do tend to have a few social days each week involving a cocktail or three. I think I might as well accept that as a regular part of my schedule. Now to run a 5k in 30 minutes HA HA don’t anyone hold their breath for that.
    Congrats Spring, that’s a s**t-ton of grams gone! I jumped on the scales, and was pleased simply not to have found those grams here. It has been touch and go in my head lately, lots of family drama, nothing awful but the idea of passing up ANY momentary pleasure just doesn’t fly. I’m lucky to get so many chances at momentary pleasures, I guess! I feel like an eating robot – if there’s a party or company, I eat. If it’s just me, I don’t. I wonder what THAT way of eating could be called.
    Annette, wow so you’ve narrowed it to biscuits. Well done! Had to laugh at Karen’s “biscuit friendly environment” tag of your workplace – BINGO 🎯😂 Hope you get a good report from the scale/tape measure. And K-lo, I’m the person with the big basket of chocolate here, but it doesn’t really tempt me, just junk Hershey’s. If I filled it with Cadbury i would drain it like a sieve. Why, look at me being all snooty about my chocolate! 👑 I guess that’s an improvement over shoving it in my face with the door closed. Yes, I think it is.
    Sheesh I need to get out of the office but I can’t finish this one task because this man will NOT answer his phone. And he doesn’t have email, darn it. And that last “2” of the 2:3:2 plan needs to start 🍷🎉🍸 Well, soon enough I hope. Keep up the great work, it’s lovely to see all this activity on the Island ♥️🌴🌴🌴♥️xx

Fasting today and already ate all my calories- just made a dinner of roasted chicken, roasted yams and steamed broccoli for my family and it’s all I can do not to rip the chicken apart and eat it all!! Trying to picture my skinny self and my flat tummy– no wings hanging over my bra and that seems to squelch my appetite.- trying to stay strong!!!!! Yikes it’s hard!!

HI

I’m sorry of not checking in as late. I’ve fallen off the wagon again and a bit stuck. I’ve been working full time, pick up my son and have to confess turned to food. I’m really bingeing at the moment, if I’m honest it’s been a coping strategy with work/home life coping mechanism. I know it always sounds silly but the high I get from food seems to get higher when I’m stressed and tired. I’m wondering about getting up early and going for a job, but I already get up at 06.00 am.

Any way, you’ve heard it all before but I didn’t want you to think I have abandoned ship. I’ve received great advice on here and think I need to examine things again… let’s just say, blueberry wheats, raisin wheats, cashew date nut bars, chocolate (even really dark types) and popcorn should be banned. Sigh.

Bingingqueen.
    Been there done that. Had some difficult times bringing up my 3 girls. Alone most of the time. My family had emigrated to South Africa and I had the mother in-law from hell. I turned to food and when I was really stressed would scour the kitchen eating everything and anything. As much as I tried to stop there was this voice saying go on eat it. The guilt afterwards was even worse and it became a vicious circle. I even started to drink but luckily for me I didn’t have alcoholic tendencies. Having gained 3 stone just in the year after my third child was born, I had given up all hope of ever being slimmer. I ended up over 20 stone in weight. I’ve been up and down and have tried every diet. I’m now 61 yrs old and have started the 5:2 because its my last hope of ever losing any weight. When I started it last October I read some research about this diet and thought Id give it ago. It was hard at first and like you I kept failing but I told myself its only 2 days a week, I can do this. Now I’ve lost 2 st 4 lbs and feeling much better mentally. Believe me when I say If I can do it so can you. I’ve been trying to lose weight for 40 yrs. Just keep trying and don’t put yourself down if you do have a binge. Just tell yourself, I’ve had this binge but Ill just try again tomorrow. It will get easier, believe me I know. Good luck and keep posting as the people on this forum have vast amounts of wisdom and experience and I’ve found it a great help.

Good morning everyone. It is so good for me to read the posts here about binging. It is always one of those very secretive things for me — does anyone ever binge in front of other people? Not me! LOL The secretive part is probably the worst for changing anything. I do find that since I have cut out sugar and wheat (‘almost’ totally), I binge much less — those are certainly the triggers for me.

Anyone hear of EFT–Emotional Freedom Technique. It is this tapping technique that is used for eating disorders and all sorts of disorders — very successful for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. Anyway, you tap on different spots, mostly on your face, and say things like…..even though I ate too much chocolate, I deeply and completely love and accept myself. It’s amazing to me how I can feel it lower my stress levels. If I can force myself to do it when I feel like binging — or in the middle of the binge — I can stop. Even though I want to eat and I’m not hungry, I deeply and completely love and accept myself. Anyway, it’s a tool that has helped me some.

I’ve been eating pretty well this week but didn’t have a single successful Fast Day. Would last until about 6pm and then just ate more than planned. Might not have been a binge, but was definitely more than my 500 calories. Hope this week will be better.

Some of this is my lack of mobility with this hip. Most movement really hurts. But the good news is that I have a date for surgery in mid-June. Yea! Really look forward to getting back to things like walking and bike riding!!!

Happy day to you all.

FastCanadian, I’m not sure of the science behind Tapping but EFT certainly is a useful form of self-hypnosis, which is simply getting past your conscious brain via deep relaxation.

Hello everyone!! I was drawn to this thread like a moth to a flame!! I guess I’ve never really given the “binge eating” some thought, but as I’m reading these threads I kept telling myself “oh my goodness!!! all of these people are living MY LIFE!!” which just means this was quite the awakening I needed. I don’t even know how I stumbled onto this website, let alone how I registered and then even better how I managed to find such a wonderful thread!!! I am so happy that I have. I registered today and am planning on starting my first Fast day on Monday 05/02/2016 because it’s a very slow day at work and that’s when I can go an entire day eating everything in sight.

I am more of a cake, cookie, brownie, eater… just love them.. and pizza oh gosh I can down an entire pie (I’m from NYC can you tell???)

I’m excited to start… I have a vacation planned to Disney for the last week of July and I just want to feel comfortable even if it’s by wearing a simple tshirt while not trying to cover my huge arms.

Does anyone have any pointers on how to keep track of the 500 cals I will be eating and when to eat them?

Oh ladies…we are who we are, so Queen et al. no apologies. The island will always need a rehab cave 🌴 and I am in it a LOT but it’s big enough for all to share! 😍
    FastC that’s an excellent point. There is a point at which I turn the corner from enjoyment food to some kind of self-destruction mode. Often, illogically, it’s anger at the scale, a way of getting even for its lack of f***s given for our amazing efforts 😡 But being hard on ourselves never works for long, and it’s NO way to go through life. People love us, we love them, we do wonderful things, and a weight struggle can’t get in the way of any of that. It’s a very small part of who we are, so it should not control our enjoyment of life. Amen. (Sorry, I felt like a preacher for a moment.😇)

Wow caspersmum, how terrific! 🎉 Thank you for saying that if you can do it, anyone can. Magic words. I totally get the anything “from hell” as a trigger. As Queen said, food is an easy high, not to mention quick and cheap. And unlike most highs, even more available in bad weather! ⛈ But we can look at each day, even each PART of a day, as a fresh start. That’s what is beginning to work for me when I think, shoot I’ve had lunch out with friends, now my day is shot. Well no, it’s not, I can white knuckle it like you, CaliB (did you make it thru, cooking for your family and eating – ulp – nothing!?) OR I can behave like a sane rational being and aim for <tdee. I know sane and rational is not my natural resting state BUT I know how to mimic it 👍 And some smart psych-y genius said that’s how to form habits. Which is not my immediate goal either, oh hell no I’m just trying to get through the day! But you get thru one, then another, and eventually (I hope, not there yet) the good days outweigh the bad and a baby habit starts to grow 🌱😀

Not to sound like the broken record, Queen, but if I had that sweet stuff at 6a.m. I would be under the lizard bus for the rest of the day. Just picture a lizard driving a semi over your head. 🚚🤕 Or more to the point, picture him pouring maple syrup into your car’s gas tank. 😱 Now picture YOU throwing a spear right into his heart. 🐲🗡 Begone sugar-simple-carb lizard.

Lol Annette, re the co-worker with chocolate. I seriously think I would steal cabury’s from a child. The Cadbury heroes are just the right size too. Watch out kids!!

All right then, it’s no surprise to anyone that my biggest problem is nonFD control, especially on days Iike today when I’m cooking fried chicken for a dinner party. I do NOT have to throw caution to the winds- ha, but I had better not say “fried chicken” too loudly. Or too often! So…here’s the menu – I can have a glass of wine, one piece of f**** c****** (oops that looks worse than what it stands for!), small baked potato, generous sautéed spinach, and small square of angel food cake w decaf coffee. MFFP says that’s easily under 1000 cals. I could have a second glass of wine even and a bite of appetizers and hit the mark even with my banana peanut butter lunch! So that is what I will do. I need to get off this insane roller coaster that either pouts or explodes. Gee, I guess i want a NORMAL roller coaster, hmmm? What a concept.

And now I need to arrange a little exercise to keep to my challenge! I’m a day behind so an hour will get me caught up. Maybe I can exceed my own expectations! Cheers and hugs islanders. Let’s go kick ass for whatever part of the day is left for you. We are worth it! 👍💪🌴🌴🌴 jade xxx

Oh hey there Pizza, we crossed. Welcome to the island! You named a few of my heartthrobs aka bad boyfriends right there. I’m in rehab at the moment but I’ve been known to sneak out the back door when one of them comes calling😞

Most people like the My Fitness Pal app to track daily calories. It has tons of foods in its index so I find it pretty easy. I don’t always track mine, but one plus is that it also has a step counter, so if you download MFP onto your phone, you don’t need a Fitbit or anything, if counting steps is your thing. I kind of like to see how many I’ve done when I’ve gone for long walks or jogs.

Good luck! Do stick around, we have some good laughs and I’ve learned a lot over the course of the last year. We’re all works in progress but we have made progress! The secret is learning not to be afraid of hunger on FDs and the learning how to behave on non-FDs, which is why I’m in rehab 😕 But as you can see from my previous post, rehab on the island isn’t too painful! All right off I go to burn some lizards. 🔥🐲🔥💪😍🌴🌴

Welcome back queen- we can all relate on some level the stress-binge cycle and the resulting guilt– glad you are back to this site- the support here is sometimes the only thing that gets me through my FD.

Jade– fried chicken is my all time favorite food (moose tracks is 2nd) and I can only imagine my difficulty in resisting over eating it- good luck tonight!!

FastC- thanks for the tapping tip- already used it once this morning and it did really help with relaxation– that is what helps break the cycle of over eating- helps stop the anxiety that leads to more eating. Awesome tip!

Casper– congrats on your huge weight loss and wisdom of experience- love to hear about what has been working for others.

Pizza – welcome!! Wishing you great success for your first
    Week. I always eat a bean and cheese burrito with salsa over 4 cups of mixed greens and I eat around midday 2:00-4:00 or so and then do hot herbal tea the rest of the day. You can use the calculator on this site to figure out your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) and then calculate what 25% of that is to know your calories for your fasting day. I started at 500 cal in FD but it turned out to be too many for me so once I switched it 400 cal the weight loss has been better.

I also LOVE pizza being from Chicago originally but now where I live the pizza is a very sorry representation of what a real pizza is like so I can resistant more.

Good luck today everyone!!

To answer your question jade about resisting the meal I cooked for family– I only managed to not eat because I went on the site and wrote how much I wanted to eat it. Just putting it out there helped me to control my urges more. Love the site!

CALI – Bean and cheese burrito with salsa??? let me just adjust my belt (oh who am I kidding I stopped using a belt a very long time ago…. I like my cow flamed and thrown on a plate)!!! YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!! I love veggies so eating healthy isn’t a problem..it’s the eating veggies plus a side of “EFF it I don’t care… bring it on!!!” that’s the problem. Well that and then there’s the preggers eating for three sitting next to me. she smells like a fabulous Willie Wonka scene!! the one with the chocolate river for sure!!!

Jade – I actually have MFP so I will open it back up, dust it off, apologize to the app Gods and start my journey!!! [[[side note]]] I DREAM of Chicago pizza. I hear it’s a full bottle of awesomesauce.

You guys have me feeling very VERY excited!!!

Yes pizza — Chicago pizza is all that and then some!! My favorite is Lou Malnati’s deep dish corn meal crust spinach and garlic– if you ever go to Chi town you have to get it!!

I am noticing that since I started this diet, my desire for meat has decreased– in the book it also talks about this happening. Don’t know if everyone experiences that but I know I did.

I read many fasting diet books- my 2 favorite by far were The Every Other Day Diet by Krista Varady and the Fastdiet by Michael Mosley– he also has a documentary about this process called Eat, Fast, Live Longer- just google him and you can find it all.

Best of luck!!

Oh dear, cheesy burritos, cornmeal crust pizza…thank heavens none of that is in my house right now. But guess what, I acted like a normal human being last night, enjoyed the meal w/friends and felt fantastic, not stuffed, after – add in 15,000 steps from my afternoon jog and guess what happened at the scale? HA, no no I’m not getting on that thing. It’s enough to know I can kick lizards to the curb even at a fried chicken dinner party.

Here’s a new strategy, at least for me – advance planning. Easier, I’ll admit, if I’m doing the party cooking. Anyway, I tallied up my meal on MFP before the party started. Something south of 1000 calories even showing restraint (chicken, potato, veg, 2 glasses of wine – yes that is restraint for me!, small slice cake). OK then, lunch was banana with a T of peanut butter, and I still have a bit of wiggle room for the odd pat of butter that flies into my mouth. Voila, tdee NAILED on a Saturday – will wonders never cease. And today, I feel fine too, no rebound effect that I usually get from overdoing the night before – that feeling that I desperately need [insert trigger food] just to get through the morning.

Cali wow, you really did it – congrats! I haven’t read the Varady book but of course have heard of EOD around here. Have you tried it? It sounds intriguing, esp if it helps the control on a nFD.

Best go get some grading done…carry on islanders! Loving all the helpful suggestions. jade xxxx

Welcome Frankster, and you’re doing so well! How does 2:3:2 work by the way? Are you fasting 2 days back-to-back then three days off then another 2 B2B fasts? And are they the same days each week? I suspect they must be if you’re more relaxed on the weekends.

Nice to meet you too K-Lo, I’m not sure I could do a FD next to a colleague with a container of chocolate, so well done you.

Pizza, welcome and I hope the first FD goes well (you’ll still be asleep as I write this). Drinking lots of water and keeping busy on FD’s are my two main weapons. As for when to eat, everyone is different and I have changed a lot over the time I’ve been doing 5:2 and now I eat the same few things on FD which is boring but predictable and a cinch to plan. Then I hold out for as long as possible before I eat. Would love to do water only but not my gig. Good luck.

Calib – I know it’s a few threads back, but that’s an interesting question about when people start to notice weight loss. Over the years I’ve learnt that I need to lose at least 10kg (about 25lbs) before anyone notices (or will comment) but that’s because I’ve always had a lot to lose. I know there are also all sorts of ‘formula’ for the loss needed to change clothes sizes but I also find that after 10kg I need to get a new size but that I can generally make-do till then. Unfortunately, it works the other way too, so that I can gain 10kg before I have to get bigger clothes. I am determined NEVER to buy bigger clothes again, but it is a daily struggle right now. I’m also glad there is support among your friends – in my little town/workplace I was stunned to find out how many other people were doing 5:2 as well.

lolly – let me just say : HATS OFF TO YOU!! I was procrastinating the other day and read your thread and wow, you are doing an amazing job girl!! I’m glad the exercise is making you feel stronger but I can relate to not being a natural mover, in fact I’m sure I was a sea lion or similar in my last life as love nothing better than to eat, lie in a sunny spot before the next meal and swim every now and then. I literally have to force myself to move although I always feel better for it.

Annette – good to hear from you and it sounds like you have really narrowed the battle down to those biscuits – do they have to be there? I worked in one place where someone asked for them to be removed, or replaced with a healthier option and no one objected to them being removed all together? Just a thought if you have a regular team meeting or similar. Look forward to the update on measurements.

Jade I’m happy to hear that there were no nasty surprises on the scale for you. I am plagued with too much out to dinner/party activity here at the moment too and I do find it tricky. It’s weird though how some days I can sail through it like I’m encased in Perspex and other days/nights the food is literally screaming out to me to be consumed. now. I LOVE your rehab cave idea – the perfect place to chill and as you say, plenty of room for all ☺ Also, preach away sister, I couldn’t agree more about the ‘what really matters in life’ in comparison to the struggle. My darling husband loves me through thick and thin, which is mostly me thick and him thin. You’re food diary from the weekend is making me drool… get thee behind me lizard!!

Queen – lovely to hear from you. Sounds like it is really tough at the moment but the insight you have is so essential and sometimes just being able to know what’s going on is half the battle. The sheer pleasure of eating will always be an issue for me too – nothing else calms me as instantly as a mouth full of comfort food but I’m glad you’re not beating yourself up about what’s going on.

caspersmum – wow, another amazing story. I do find these stories inspirational, especially today when I feel tired and grumpy and hungry and I’m only 3 hours into a FD… I will have to come back and re-read when my resolve is more dissolve (in about 20 minutes…).

FastC, you made me laugh thinking about binging in front of other people. The shame factor around food is so high isn’t it, and so laden with moral judgment? We were talking on here the other day about what other people have in their shopping trolleys and I have to confess to feeling smug when doing the ‘good’ shop and embarrassed if I’m shopping for a party and the trolley is filled with the usual suspects. And yet what does the food in a shopping trolley really say about anyone? About who they are as a person, what they care about/worry about/what their values are? I have a sister who uses EFT and she finds it really helpful and I think anything that makes you mindful in the moment and recognise what’s ‘going on’ has got to be helpful. Glad to hear the hip surgery is that much closer too.

Okay, well, I’m sitting here still in my PJ’s and I really need to do something other than write on the forum, especially as there is way too much food talk for a FD 😉 I’m going to go and make myself some soda water and the first coffee of the day and hop aboard the White Knuckle Express to the end of the day. Strength to all of you fasting today. Spring xxx

Well, it’s now 5:30pm and I’m still on the Express. Some FD’s are just plain, damned hard yakka and this is one of them. I still have a ham salad and veges to look forward to (hoping to push it out till 7pm) and then I’ll go to bed ridiculously early to try and distract myself. I know I’ll be such a happy Vegemite in the morning if I can just hang in there a little longer – as I like to tell myself, I’ve never woken up after a FD and regretted it. Yours in desperate solidarity, Spring xx

Rats lost a post but suffice to say GO SPRING WELL DONE — the white knuckle express is quite the appropriate name. I really laughed out loud when I saw that, but no ifs and buts about it most of the times I have been on it 🚄🚄🚄 white knuckles all the way. Unless I mistakenly take the local instead of the express, and the local unfortunately makes 15,000 stops, all in my kitchen. Weird huh?

Ok off I go to do battle with the Chinese (faculty lunch, that is) and I’m hoping to get out of there with my dignity and control intact. But let’s just say it’s going to be nip and tuck. Check in with you all later. Happy new workweek on the island! 🌴🌴🌴💕xx

GOOD MORNING EVERYONE! It’s 9 am in good Ol Pennsylvania… Today is my very first FD and one of my coworkers has already left a big ol’ Blueberry muffin at my desk. “there homemade!!” she says. Ugh!!! It’s also a rainy day here which usually means I want to eat everything in sight. Here goes nothing. Be strong…be strong….be stro…be st….beeeeeeeeee………. 🙂

Hi and welcome, Pizza. Now is the chance that you have waited for all along: you knew it would be tricky, no? So go ahead and RESIST the temptation. You are holding it in your hands. In the one hand you have the muffin. Empty, shallow calories, giving you about a 2 minute joy and afterwards you wish you had never had it. On the other hand you are holding something very precious, your first FD!! Such a triumph that you started with it, really want to make it work. Treat your 1st FD really careful, make sure it gets home alright and tug it in nicely tonight. Tomorrow it will have grown a bit and gotten stronger.

Karen

Hi Pizza.
    Karen’s right its hard in the beginning but it gets much easier and quite satisfying.
    When you see the pounds drop off, it will spur you on. I hate that feeling when you give in to temptation but all is not lost. Just carry on and don’t get upset or feel a failure. We have all done it, we are only human. Good luck.

Hi all, I am totally absorbed in this LCHF thing – am doing it since last Tuesday now and feel very good about it. Had one more FD since then, that was last Thursday, but no FD since. Am really keen to get used to it, so I will not interrupt until this Thursday. Then I will weigh in and see whether this is something worthwhile.
    It took me a while and lots of reading to work my head around the concept. Tricky to figure out how one should apply it. I didn’t want to give up control over the calories, so I had to find out how much protein, carbs, fat I need based on a calorie count that is low enough that I would lose weight in any case. Pretty amazing experience to eat all this delicious cream again! Full fat everything. hmmmmm. And totally reduced on carbs. No bread, pasta, rice, beans, sweets etc etc. It is so much easier than expected. And no cravings, well one exception: last night I added Stevia to my 10% fat yogurt. That was a mistake, the sweet taste immediately started a craving for more food. So I had a small slice of cheese and went to bed immediately to prevent any more eating 🙂
    Only downside so far has been a certain lack of energy when exercising. I guess I might need to increase the carbs slightly, but that is for another week, I first want to see some good results weight loss wise.
    Happy fasting, Spring. And bon appetit or whatever they say in China, Jade!
    Take care, all, & have a good start into the new week.
    Karen

Comespring, the candy jar does not call my name on Fast days….but it screams to me all other days

Viewing 50 posts - 2,201 through 2,250 (of 3,046 total)

You must be logged in to reply.