I am a binger – any info on fasting and bingeing

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Science of intermittent fasting
I am a binger – any info on fasting and bingeing

This topic contains 3,042 replies, has 111 voices, and was last updated by  Delayedgratification 4 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 2,001 through 2,050 (of 3,046 total)

• Oh Chubs, good for you! It’s important to acknowledge progress wherever we can, and I agree about the positive reinforcement. Though I’ve benefitted from a good smattering of “I don’t do that anymore” which is something of a mixture I guess. But visualizing unwanted behavior as “in the past” seems to help me in my current quest to unsweetened myself. πŸ˜› Which is going well so far – no true sweets this week, maybe a bit of white flour but then I never signed up for the Perfect Bus. Just not having “sweet” is becoming a new habit I hope.

🐧 I love the cell phone analogy! I do feel like stomping on it after I drop it 😈 but no, I don’t, I just pick it up and keep going. Best thing there is about 5:2 is the different goals on different days. It’s hard to ever say I flat out failed with a new day on the horizon. But it’s also good to remind myself that it’s a lifetime effort. And if it becomes a true habit, then there won’t be much “effort” at all.

Yffan I’m glad our words have helped you 😍 It’s surprising how much wisdom and comfort can be found here and also how much it helps to be part of a communal effort. Oops there’s that word again. Don’t mean to sound as though it’s such hard work. πŸ‹ But it’s worth doing, for good health and fitting into whatever may be your version of the pink shorts! πŸ‘™

It’s time for us to get ready to meet up with students for a party. I am so happy to be done with the work this week and now can relax 🌴if only it weren’t rather gloomy out. No worries, I will have hubs and my friend Jose Cuervo along for the ride 😎 Stay strong all you lovely islanders — jade xxx

Does anyone else struggle with holidays too?

Ah the loving yourself analogy is an interesting one, the “do not beat yourself up” it’s so hard isn’t it, because if I say have whatever, I will just eat and eat. A compulsive eater. At the same time, if I completely beat myself up I have no desire to eat healthily at all.

The only ways things have worked for me before have been having a goal, a positive goal, i.e. a wedding (mine!), a holiday….

Recently, again I’m digressing into detail onto my own situation, I have been trying 100% in other areas of my life, but pretty much 5% with myself and my own health. I have people close to me who are doing their own thing a lot of the time and I realised I just feel anxiety at the thought of conflict so don’t voice it- and then, there is the answer, instantly as I’m making food for others (sorry I’ll moan now, I have a lovely life, but I have told others my food struggles yet I still have to make food for them and then insist on carry foods, and I feel embarrassed that I can’t be normal, have croissants, bread and cereals around. But this will be my life for the next 10 years at least at weekends).

I reflect on how amazing I feel when I feel well and healthy. Then wonder where on earth that drive to just eat everything in sight came from. Today I had a pack of croissants and ten slices of toast with an avocado. Oh the shame… I know the triggers, lack of sleep, criticism from someone else (I woke this note to self build resilience) and a lack of things to look forward to. As selfish as that sounds, but we need to create rewards- non food ones.

Annette, you have managed to maintain weightless haven’t you? it can be done and Jade you too? Apologies for anyone else who has shared their long term weight loss with us and if I have rudely brushed you aside forgive me.

Now, Jade you mentioned a while ago sticking to foods that aren’t trigger, that leaves me with chicken, fish and vegetables. I wonder what my life would be ,like if I gave up my vices (vices to me aren’t necessarily unhealthy foods (seeded bread and avocado) but knowing I turn to these for a dopamine rush when I feel low or anxious which has been very morning as of late is perhaps something I meed to face up to. I am not programmed like 90% of the population, and I keep trying to be.

Rant, rant. Thank you all of your kind words and listening to my repetitive struggles. I think I might try a month of detox part of me feels fear, and another half feels excitement. I think it will also take real planning. I binge at any opportunity at the moment so that’s 6-9am and 3pm or 6pm when i wake up and when I come in from work. The hardest thing too islanders don’t you find, and I know I have said this before but everything with everyone is about food, meet a friend for coffee, go shopping, hubby gets home from work, everyone wants breakfast as soon as we wake. I’m not a victim but every little neutron in my brain picks up when there is even the thought of food. Easter has actually become sadly, totally lost in the meaning, as we are surrounded by chocolate and part of me has the gluttony vice switched on completely but I am also, if I’m honest afraid as ridiculous as it sounds. I can always justify food in the moment, I can 100% know I will regret it later or it may make me feel ill but I continue.

Then there is how I used to feel when I looked forward to things, would wake up and walk and not binge, life is short and maybe I have an impulsive personality but I used to be a size ten but i have to admit I had to be very careful with myself as I have said before I will always have this yay party time food is here feeling. I see lots of people at the end of their lives and it feels ridiculous that I spend so much of mine bingeing.

Let’s escape from this and have some goals folks, goals that won’t fall if someone says something unkind, if their is too much work, or whatever it may be. Annette you have the pink shorts… what else to we have?

Another random post by me, but I wish all the best group, thanks for listening/reading again. x

Sorry I meant to say I woke this mooning happy, and then a harsh word that felt unfair sent me over the edge

oh bingeingqueen I really feel for you
    I just totally despise myself so much – even more so when I binge
    and I also get that ‘complete rational justification’ of what I am eating, UNTIL AFTERWARDS!!

I tend to binge on sweet foods mostly, but I admit I am scared of imagining a world without them at all

I certainly turn to food the instant my emotions wobble, and if I don’t eat then I will punish myself in some other way

there was a programme I saw last week – I think this is the link

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=why+are+thin+people+not+fat+documentary&view=detail&mid=899E9160D89B70CACB8F899E9160D89B70CACB8F&FORM=VIRE4

where they do find that some people are biologically more able to stay thin

πŸ™ πŸ™ πŸ™ πŸ™

one of my aims is to get back some of the true pleasure I used to have in eating ‘treats’ – as a child they were strictly limited and hence savoured

although I do think some of that parental control has contributed to my difficulties as I find it very hard to know when I am really hungry, or judge how much of something I actually ‘need’

I had problems with food as a child – couldn’t chew some meat – preferred puddings! – watched closely by rest of family to see if I would waste anything – don’t talk, sit up, manners …….. meals were not exactly relaxing

people laugh when I say food frightens me – but it does – it is an endless nightmare of decisions, shoulds, shouldn’ts, trying not to, punishing, and as you say – always a social pressure – wherever you go

but you are doing the very best you can
    xx

Hi Queen,
    I think that many of us ‘eat our emotions’. No one’s life is lovely, there are parts that are good, balanced with those elements that are much harder to cope with. When I am tired, bored, lonely, stressed or hungry then I am vulnerable.

I have spent the week eating good wholefoods and apart from a meal out, I have been making good choices. Yesterday,I went out for a tough and long 5 mile run/walk/stagger-dressed in kit that was too warm and no water. I spent the day alone, my boys all at work, friends away for Easter and felt very lonely.I came back from the shops with a Pain Chocolat and a packet of 6 ice creams-ate 2 yesterday. So with those 3 items I had scoffed around 1000 calories!!!!

I have made a series of changes over the years to what we have in the fridge/cupboards. You can choose not to have those foods in the house and the step children will adapt to having healthier options at your house. But you will have to make that change because it is to no ones advantage except yours to make that change. Are you important? Does your health matter?

On the plus side an avocado is very good for you. Try it with salad and tuna, but leave out the bread. Very tasty with a dressing of 1 tablespoon olive oil/1 teaspoon white wine vinegar/half teaspoon Dijon mustard-all together in a small jam jar with lid on-give it a good shake-scrumptious!

Going out for coffee/shopping doesn’t have to be with cake, I know because I no longer have cake and have found that my friends have stopped having cake too. How much of what we do is out of habit? I have stopped sugar in my tea after 40+ years-well I moaned for a week and then got used to it, now several months in and I don’t even think about it.

You don’t need pink shorts, you can make your own goal. What could yours be? It could be a day sticking to your TDEE where you at what you like as long as you stick to that number? I found that making smarter choices meant that I could eat much more that was a lot more healthier.

My changes have all been small, but add up to a huge change in what I like to eat and how much. I am maintaining but would like to be smaller, so need to review what I eat and how much after this weekend. I have bought eggs for the boys and on more than 1 occasion I have been tempted to scoff a chocolate bunny when I have had a tough day. The calorie content has been enough for me to put them back in the cupboard!

Nothing you describe in terms of explaining what you do and why is alien to us, we have all been there.If you want to be different, then changes will have to be made. I never thought that the 5:2 would work, but here I am slimmer/lighter and with a normal blood pressure, eating smaller portions of better quality food. My knees don’t hurt all the time, I am 3 bra sizes smaller and 3 dress sizes smaller.

I live with 4 young men that I feed every day.Food is a big part of my day too.

Hi Queen,
    I think that many of us ‘eat our emotions’. No one’s life is lovely, there are parts that are good, balanced with those elements that are much harder to cope with. When I am tired, bored, lonely, stressed or hungry then I am vulnerable.

I have spent the week eating good wholefoods and apart from a meal out, I have been making good choices. Yesterday,I went out for a tough and long 5 mile run/walk/stagger-dressed in kit that was too warm and no water. I spent the day alone, my boys all at work, friends away for Easter and felt very lonely.I came back from the shops with a Pain Chocolat and a packet of 6 ice creams-ate 2 yesterday. So with those 3 items I had scoffed around 1000 calories!!!!

I have made a series of changes over the years to what we have in the fridge/cupboards. You can choose not to have those foods in the house and the step children will adapt to having healthier options at your house. But you will have to make that change because it is to no ones advantage except yours to make that change. Are you important? Does your health matter?

On the plus side an avocado is very good for you. Try it with salad and tuna, but leave out the bread. Very tasty with a dressing of 1 tablespoon olive oil/1 teaspoon white wine vinegar/half teaspoon Dijon mustard-all together in a small jam jar with lid on-give it a good shake-scrumptious!

Going out for coffee/shopping doesn’t have to be with cake, I know because I no longer have cake and have found that my friends have stopped having cake too. How much of what we do is out of habit? I have stopped sugar in my tea after 40+ years-well I moaned for a week and then got used to it, now several months in and I don’t even think about it.

You don’t need pink shorts, you can make your own goal. What could yours be? It could be a day sticking to your TDEE where you at what you like as long as you stick to that number? I found that making smarter choices meant that I could eat much more that was a lot more healthier.

My changes have all been small, but add up to a huge change in what I like to eat and how much. I am maintaining but would like to be smaller, so need to review what I eat and how much after this weekend. I have bought eggs for the boys and on more than 1 occasion I have been tempted to scoff a chocolate bunny when I have had a tough day. The calorie content has been enough for me to put them back in the cupboard!

Nothing you describe in terms of explaining what you do and why is alien to us, we have all been there.If you want to be different, then changes will have to be made. I never thought that the 5:2 would work, but here I am slimmer/lighter and with a normal blood pressure, eating smaller portions of better quality food. My knees don’t hurt all the time, I am 3 bra sizes smaller and 3 dress sizes smaller.

I live with 4 young men that I feed every day.Food is a big part of my day too.

Hi peeps,

I’m new to this thread, and feel kindred spirits abound :)I hope you don’t mind me barging it in. ‘On paper” it could seem from the outside, like I’m in control of what I eat, and since having started the 5:2 have lost about 1 stone and 1/2, which I’m really pleased with about, but my sugar monster often lurks and lures me to biscuits and chocolate, and as above ‘I eat my emotions’, I’m a truly emotional eater. Since I started this WOL I have become more mindful about my eating habits, am scoffing less and a good FD is a huge accomplishment. When I analyse NFD’s I’m often just not hungry until way after midday, but I miss the signals, or greedily ignore them. I don’t have trigger food in the house, e.g bread, butter, almond butter, biscuits etc, and I don’t ‘do” pizza, potatoes, and am a veggie. This doesn’t stop me looking for sugar like a heat seeking missile, lol.
    Recently, I have become more inclined to base my NFD on avocado, kidney beans, cottage cheese, eggs, nuts, feta cheese, salmon etc…food I feel keep me on the straight and narrow. When I lost my first stone I thought I was like people who act normally around food, I was wrong!, have since gained 6 Ibs, but am becoming more mindful, says she eating the 2nd hot cross bun. I love Latin dance, and over the past few years have started giving classes, which has been the best experience, and a big incentive for me to lose weight, if I could give up my dreary day job (also teaching) I’d be very happy, but don’t think it would pay the rent.

A couple of weeks ago I was so down that I was considering the Michael Mosely BSD, 800 cals a day, but the sensible voice in me called out ‘800 is way too low” so gave that up, but have the book, and the recipes are really good, low carb, and quick, It has changed NFD’s for me.

My greatest incentive would be to wear summer clothes, like dresses and sleeveless tops. We put weight on in different places, mine more on my back, and thighs, I’d love to get rid of this, it is the slowest to go though. I also have a pair of shorts I put on and am saving them for ‘that’ sunny day. Have 1 1/2 more stone to go, I’m saying May, but it’s a moveable feast.

I totally empathize with the post binge feelings πŸ™ but try to square them up with the best feeling after a successful FD or NFD, speak soon..

Hey you lovely misfit islanders! Queen dear you aren’t alone, as you can easily see. Annette, Keep, and welcome Tango — thanks all for weighing in (ha ha) and reminding me that we’re actually pretty normal. EVERYONE if they’re honest has triggers and cravings. The sugar one is a beast, revved by all the added sugar in processed food nowadays, which just perpetuates the craving. But it can be tamed, though it requires some gritty abstention. I don’t like feeling deprived, but if there is a goal at the end, I can usually get there. So that’s my goal, to be free of the sugar chains.

After just a week+ of “no sweets”…the cravings are less. I’ve had whole foods of all kinds – carbs too – and not worried much about whether I was truly hungry or just fighting off a sugar craving. One goal at a time for me πŸ˜‹ Then I had dessert last night at a dinner party, and I’d like to say “meh” but no, it was good. And that’s good, I like the idea of dessert being a real treat. I’m thinking of you here, Keep! And the sugar lizard woke up, but he was groggy, just barely conscious. I had the choice then, whether to wake him up real good 😏 like playing with a hedgehog – cute as they are. When we got home, I did think “well why not have a few more sweets, you can be good again tomorrow” but hey why not jump off a cliff while I’m at it. I mean, does that sound familiar, the old I’ve blown it so let’s blow this mother sky high and get our money’s worth. I do not want to go back to feeling controlled in sugar hell. Even feeling a little less controlled is better than that.

For me, there is no other way. I suspect for you too, Queen. I guess I’m lucky that my trigger is sweets. Maybe it’s a psychological trigger, because I love bread, but it isn’t the same. Maybe if you could just eliminate one trigger at a time, you could figure out which are worse and gradually ease them out of your life? So many other things working on you I know – fatigue, kids, job stress….I really do advise trying one eating goal at a time. The psych benefit of achieving that is contagious and will lead to more good changes. You too Keep, I hate to read of any of us feeling that way, so down on ourselves when we are all quite lovable β™₯️β™₯️β™₯️

Must run now to get Sat chores done. Will check in later, love these thinking sessions and the mutual support here. jade xxxxxxxxx

Annette and Jade such supportive posts thank you. Annette, on a side note would you have a whole avocado with a tablespoon of olive oil?!

Tango welcome, as you can see there is a big group of us, everyone is really supportive.I really relate to feeling like you are normal around food then regaining. Can you identify what made you regain, was it just being complacent?

I am so with you Jade when you think Oh well blown it I will try again tomorrow. I have had that mentality for years, and I am sure I have mentioned many times, although it may be a habit, even as a child I was really skinny and my mum said I just wouldn’t stop with milk chocolate and sweets. Fortunately, I don’t like sweets anymore but I also find when I think “oh just this extra one”, or “I haven’t binged or had the urge to binge for a week”, I’m cured now I can keep all that in my house…. guess wha happens, I honestly think I am going to have to be mindful of the rest of my life.

When everything else seems like an uphill struggle food can be so instantly gratifying and calming… in fact does anyone recognise the feeling of having been really stressed then thinking “what’s in the cupboards at home… ” my mind goes to cereals, popcorn, cake, biscuits, chocolate, even date and nut bars!

It’s also hard for family as they don’t understand and Annette, your post really helped my mainframe when I read it. That looking after your own health. It becomes at the bottom of my list when stressed and feeling resentful… kids to school, pick up, make dinners, today, get to work, a long list if duties at work, not enough time to complete all jobs well- so half to have half measures with some jobs, and as soon as I get in from work and child pick up, get child ready for bed I am frantic. I am also noticing when I am left alone, even for seconds…the little lizard comes into my head like it would a three year olds,,, no one is here, have six. I say that honesty. I don’t one one of anything when in that mode… If someone said let’s go and have a small slice of cake together and eat it slowly that wouldn’t suffice.

This time it’s something bigger though, one night I went to bed and my stomach really, really hurt and I thought whether I like it or not, I have to face this now. Someone said to me recently how proud they are that I have done so well at work, I smiled and felt a fraud… if anyone knew!

Part of me would love to look nice again. but vanity lasts five minutes, I think so I look nice but actually I have a million things to do. Maybe I should just book a holiday!! In all seriousness, this may be a habit but the draw of food sometimes is much worse than smoking ever was to me. I have to admit I have been tempted to drink more (fortunately I don’t think I have the alcoholic gene, I really believe there is one) recently but keep away from that especially as the urge is before 3pm!!

I thought maybe eliminating sugar, as I have to admit I used to avoid that and since reintroducing it I am a lot worse, but interestingly, since being very stressed I have cravings. That urge when I have finished work to just go mad….I brought some date bars and let’s just say the whole pack went.

Annette yes I am like you, in that bored, lonely, upset I turn to food. Actually the only times I haven’t is when my life is going well, sleeping well, something to look forward to, feeling well, not being so responsible for others and being more independent i.e just going for a walk if I felt like it, or a jog, or keeping only what I wanted. A biggy was I was so much better when eating out, I would meet a friend for porridge in Starbucks (this is pre children), I didn’t keep any junk at home, and soup for lunch and would often eat out for dinner – days I was very spoilt and had money! I didn’t eliminate anything apart from sugar but all my food was eaten in the company of others, my stress levels were much lower, I could just go to the gym or for a walk if I felt like it. I am not very assertive, and I can be disorganised and I think I am going to have to go back to planning.

Also like you point out Annette sacrifice is required. I have started to eat badly before work and I could feel a huge internal sulk with myself when I said no to chocolate and it’s only 7am – but it is easter.

A while ago I went to a boot cam, I would hate going but always felt great afterwards but could never convince myself before hand that it would make me feel great. Now I have bad hips and knees but I wonder what’s worse, this mad bingeing or exercise with ailments.

Something I also struggle with, I am not sure if you are all the same and maybe it’s why some people would say fasting is bad for bingers, but when I consider the amount of kcal in a binge (I just keep going until everything is gone) I think there is no way I could limit myself for say 7 days, which is what I would have to do to get some kind of balance for the overeating. However, that mentality hasn’t helped recently as everyday just ends up being an overeating day.

For me, and I don’t know about you, I need discipline but reflecting on here, I am a spoilt impulsive person I want clear light at the end of the tunnel, a really defined goal. That goal has to be positive too – I apologise which poster posted but that article about reinforcing positive habits is true, I need to get excited about something other than food. I feel terribly guilty about saying that as the most important things in my life, I have, they are my family and I am so thankful for them but something isn’t working right now and it is becoming unhealthy.

Tango it’s so lovely you love dance though… I’m sorry the day job is dreary- can you work on creating new goals at work, chat to your manager?

Thanks again all

Hi Queen,
    The measures for the dressing are for a whole plate of salad, most of it goes over the lettuce/tomatoes/cucumber although a drizzle over the avocado is delicious to me. Yes avocados are high in fat-but good fat and high in calories(160calories/100g) but very filling-a complete meal. I can have a larger avocado with a plate of salad, or a small one mashed on 2 slices of wholemeal toast-very good post run if you have a ripe avocado.

I was a skinny kid who became a slim young woman(who was without curves and miserable). I married young and couldn’t cook, my husband could cook but had no idea of portion sizes so we both put on a bit of weight. Our first baby died from SIDS and we both put on weight-no surprise there. We had 4 boys under 6 and I worried all the time whether they would survive, my husband worked long hours and I was on my own with the boys from when they woke until after they went to bed. I had gone from a UK 10(US 14)to struggling to fit into a UK 16(US 20). Then at 40 I found myself as a single parent of 4 boys of 5,7,9, and 11. I had to move house with distraught boys and make a new life, learn to manage my own finances entirely, do all the after school stuff alone and learn to cook. I remember my youngest son trying to put is arms around my waist and being sad that he couldn’t-I signed up for weight watchers the very next week.

Looking good is not about vanity alone, it is also about developing self esteem and good health. Think about the hip to waist ratio-a good indicator of health-less visceral fat. How we look is important. What is worse for your hips and knees is not boot camp or binge eating, it is your weight.Simple. My knees and hips have stopped aching now that I am 3 stone lighter, I am no longer breathless going upstairs and I am much faster walking too.

I suspect that you are the centre of your family, but by putting yourself at the bottom of the pile, your health is suffering.By putting your needs first you will be helping your family to thrive and you will be healthier too.

The clear light at the end of the tunnel is surely a healthier, slimmer and fitter you? What changes do you need to make so that can happen? As Nike say ‘Just do it’.

If I can do it, then anyone can.

As Dr Robert Lustig said, we are all victims of our biochemistry, ditch the sugar and lose the urge to binge.I know, like you and Jade that less sugar means losing that urge to binge. Menu plan for the week, get rid of the rubbish and then snack on fruit or nuts when you are hungry. Remember HALT? Are you hungry?Angry?Lonely?Tired?

I had a dress try on last night. I have half a dozen simple summer dresses that will need altering before I can wear them, as they are too big now on the bit between the shoulder and the bust, where there was fat there is a gap! Thrilling to ‘see’ a difference. Skirts that were too tight, now fit, even though the scales stay the same. A bit closer with those pink shorts.I do a lot of shopping in charity shops-I love them since my shape and size has changed, I can have new clothes to celebrate that don’t cost much and experiment with new shapes/styles/colours.

Off for a very short run as I am trying to get faster or in 3 weeks I will be the very last one to finish. Everyone out at work, so alone for the day.

Welcome Tango,
    I loved the bit about a heat seeking missile looking for the next sugar fix. That is me with ice cream now, it used to be with everything but got it down to one now. I love hot cross buns, but safer not to buy them.I have been bought a large egg and although i had planned to share it with my chaps later when they all got home, I have eaten half of it…which is around 800 calories! I wish that I could change jobs too, sadly nothing that I could do that would pay the same.
    Hi Jade, Well done on less sugar. I am back to making my own hummus and dipping carrots/cucumber and sometimes crackers into the gorgeous mixture. I just feel better with more unprocessed food in my life and once the chocolate is gone today I shall have a good hard look at the amounts that I am scoffing.The portion sizes that we have now are much smaller than what we used to have and now enjoy a meal without feeling sore, but maybe I need less…
    The scales are the same, but clothes are fitting better, but best of all I can run a bit faster!!!

Ah that’s right, if Annette can do it, I can too. And believe me if *I* can do it, i.e. beat the sugar, then truly anyone can. Queen, I think you have to do this for your sanity as well as your physical health. You aren’t such a hopeless case, you know. You’re the same heat-seeking missile we all are when it comes to cravings (and thank you Tango for that perfect analogy!). When there is a root cause of those cravings, as I know there is with me, then resisting the cravings is way harder than attacking the cause.

I think I am much like you internally, because I can go for days without cravings and then boom, I am a sugar furnace. And yes, the dopamine reaction you describe, too – all of that. It’s exactly the way Dr Lustig described it, so I am a convert. Not that it’s easy, I fell under the bus pretending to be normal during the holidays and it’s been HELL getting back on the bus this year. In fact, I didn’t even understand that I was under the bus, not on it — I was just finding it harder and harder to 5:2 until I finally realized the sugar on nFDs kept dumping me into the cravings trap. Literally – my blood sugar had to be swinging like a trapeze. And FDs seemed to last 80 hours, and I kept caving.

Seriously, I know we all love treats and hate the thought of food being boring, but listen – try the no-sugar approach, you will LOVE not being controlled by sugar, by junk, by the food industry, damn their hides. If you don’t love it, here’s an iron-clad guarantee: you can always go back to eating sugar and it will quickly trap you again. You will have sugar highs again, no question.

And by sugar, of course I mean junk carbs too – white flour, anything where the fiber has been processed out, and all the other sugars (honey etc.). You will not have to give them all up forever. For me, the biggest, baddest lizards are in sweet sugar, so most any kind of dessert. When they are off limits to me, I behave around other food.

Queen, please take Annette’s advice to heart about putting yourself first. Tell your family what you need to do to feel healthy and fit again, and that is to get the sugar and simple carbs out of the house. Out out out. No one in the family will starve or die without them. Or they can have them somewhere else if thy absolutely have to. I hear your cry for help but no one there will hear it if you keep putting your health last, behind the unhealthy food choices that your family is used to having available. Please do this for yourself, because I see such a happier life for you with these small changes. And as I wrote above, it’s not easy to do, but it’s impossible if you see these off-limit foods every time you go into your own pantry. You say you can binge on whole grains, and you may at first, but maybe after a few days, a week, you will find that you are less and less nutty around them when you have cut out the sugar. Buy natural peanut butter to spread on whole grain toast, with some sliced grapes on top. No, it’s not low calorie, but that’s not the most urgent goal at this point. One thing at a time is the only way to build a normal body chemistry that will help you feel better. Then you can move to the next goal of dropping some weight, and you’ll find FDs actually doable when you aren’t nagged to death by cravings. Hunger is still a hurdle for weight loss, but it is not the mile-high hurdle that it is when you’re in sugar hell.

There, my rant/advice is done. And believe me, I have to give myself this lecture every day, because I’ve spent many years in sugar hell without even knowing it. Now that I do, I can love the taste of sweets but resent what they do to me when they become a habit, and I hate it enough to keep fighting it.

Cheers all, I’m going to do a little gardening on the island now in the hopes of someday harvesting some lovely veggies and herbs in a month or so πŸŒ΄πŸŒ±πŸ’•jade xxx

I have been lurking for a while reading the posts. I have been trying the BSD which I can do for about two weeks then descend into binge mode. I have tried 5:2 a few years ago but again could not control my eating on the five days. I know why I binge which is a good half of the battle and is emotional eating. I have recently read sweet poison and watched Dr Lustig ( sorry if I have spelt that wrong) lecture. It made complete sense. My aim just now is to get rid of sugar or at least a large part of it. I am vegetarian which makes it hard. I also live in France where many things are not available. I have a fledgling smallholding and try to produce at least half of our food. I have been working at eating clean food only for some years and have mostly removed factory made food from our diet. I make my own seeded bread. I make my own jams and chutneys that do contain sugar but no chemicals. I have found it very hard doing low carbohydrate which is why I have come back here.
    My head is spinning with all I have read and I am in shock over the lie about low fat foods.
    Tomorrow I will aim to fast and hope I can stay with it.

This discussion of sugar and its effects on binging was exactly what I needed to read right now, so thank you all for your frank sharing and excellent suggestions.

Two weeks without sugar and I feel sane again! Why is it so hard to remember that I’m not “cured” just because I’m feeling so well today? Eating sweet stuff sends me off into a food rampage — I’m better off without the sugar and that’s how I want to stay.

Lolly_ Here are a couple of books that you might find interesting ‘That sugar book’ by Damon Gameau-this is has photos of what happened when a very healthy man ate a high sugar diet by eating only those foods regarded as healthy and managed to consume 40 teaspoons a day and then had to give up after 60 days for what it was doing to his body. The other one is by Dr Robert Lustig ‘Fat chance, the hidden truth about sugar, obesity and disease.Here he explains that not all calories are equal, why conventional weight loss advice won’t work and provides a list of foods to aim for every day and those that should be avoided in varying degrees. I found it really helpful to guide my shopping and felt much better even after a week.

alysans- as I learned from Lustig, if it has ‘low fat’ or ‘diet’ then avoid it like the plague as it will be stuffed with sugar. I had a happy time reading every label and that alone changed what I buy. One of the biggest offenders was jar tomato sauce and plain yoghurt, so now I make my own rather cheaper tomato sauce for chilli and bolognaise and meatballs….and only buy full fat yoghurt(I have made my own which is very easy too).

Jade-you are so eloquent. I am that heat seeking missile but much much less now and I too enjoy having more balanced blood sugar levels. I didn’t know that I was hooked on the white stuff until I reduced my consumption and discovered that I felt much better with less of it in my life and that I became a lunatic looking for my next fix. I thought that I was addicted to tea…but I think it was the sugar in the tea.Less tea meant less sugar and I felt calmer…then gave up sugar in my tea and feel better. Not scientific, I grant you, but has made a huge difference to what I eat and how I feel.

I make my own yogurt too! It is not easy to ditch all sugar! I now make the majority of things myself which is a big step in the right direction. I no longer use artificial sweeteners either. Basically if it has chemicals I do go there. I discovered recently there is now a fake cheese product that is used on cheap pizzas! Where does it end? I spent years and a great deal of money on weight watchers and lost loads of weight but I virtually lived on chemical laden ww foods! There are worse things than being fat it seems. Hopefully I can address the stone and a half I need to lose but have to say my heart is not in it now! I am happy with my clean food and hope to reduce further the sugar!

I did WW too and did lose a stone, but that was more down to seeing how big my portions were of their frozen meals!I never thought that the 5:2 would work but liked the fact that it was ordinary food and that I was going to choose what I ate.
    I bake and make bread but less often now and I do use sugar. The difference is now that I am very aware when I do and I use much less of both the hidden and the visible. There was a stand up row here when I stopped buying jar tomato sauces, but I stood my ground and tried new recipes and we became used to less sweet foods.
    Giving up a spoonful of sugar in my tea after 40 + years I thought would be impossible, but after a week of face pulling and moaning, I got used to it and now 3/4 months down the line, I don’t even think about it. Extraordinary.
    My mantra is that I ‘merely avoid’ sugar and some days I am better than others, but to have removed 56 teaspoons of sugar a week just in tea, is one of best achievements.Try more unprocessed foods so aim for a diet a la Lustig which comprises of wholemeal bread, brown rice/pasta, cheese, eggs, nuts, fruit and vegetables and focus on eating good food rather than worrying about the weight the moment if your heart isn’t in it now. I found that by eating less food that had a label, I felt better and that gave me more energy to make other changes. My supermarket shop is now far less and much cheaper as I avoid many of the aisles leaving with tins of chopped tomatoes, chick peas and kidney beans!

Thanks for the reading list, annette — I think I’ll find that enlightening. It’s very exciting to see so many of you ahead on a successful path when I’m just discovering mine.

I simply can’t use sugar any more, that much is clear. When I do, there’s not enough food in the world. When I don’t, meals start AND stop.

Hi Lolly and Alysa! Welcome to the island, do stick around and keep sharing your stories. It’s like a science lab around here, and every new insight helps us all.
    That’s sage advice, Annette – to simply “avoid” sugar – such a manageable goal. Let’s face it, we can set goals like none other, but too often (especially after days like Easter lol) mine are some version of I’ll never do X again. Of course I’m going to do X again. But I can avoid X most of the time, no sweat. Why, look at me now, sitting here having coffee, avoiding the bejesus out of X. Take that, X.

Ah, and a timely bit of advice that was, too. Because yesterday was rather X-tastic, thanks to a surprise Easter basket from a friend, discovered on my porch after a day of fairly restrained (if not completely sugar-avoidy) feasting. So for all my strong talk of not waking Godzilla….πŸ™„ yes, eggs were consumed, dopamine was rushed… You know, it helps to simply refer to it as X, so X it is. But it’s a new day now, all fresh and shiny. My choice to hammer that habit home or kick it out the door. I’ve made good progress the past few weeks, so I know what to do. And thank goodness there is no more Easter candy around. I mean…X!!! And also that it’s time for a FD. My system needs a serious internal scrubbing. πŸ’¨πŸŒŠ

Penguin, Spring, mcca…how are you getting on? Queen, hope I didn’t offend with my lecture. I know I am old enough to be your mother, if not grandmother, and omg I’m also a teacher, so just take me with a grain of salt. πŸ€“πŸ˜

Onward and downward then, all you lovely fast-misfit-islander-club friends 🌴🌴 jade xxxx

No chocolate as they don’t do chocolate eggs here…lots of bunnies though but I avoided them. Also lots of posh chocolate. So no to chocolate which is a major achievement for me. I made a Victoria sponge this week and have eaten some. I also cannot pass the pantry without grabbing a handful of dried fruit which is very bad as it is another thing not available here and I stock up on rare visits to the UK. Hubby loves his fruit cake! Am working on stopping baking but it is something I enjoy. Also I always have an egg mountain due to having chickens, ducks and geese. I give loads away too. I like a bit of honey in my morning porridge but porridge is another thing that comes from the UK so maybe I can give that up.
    In May our first nucleus of bees arrive and next year I hope we will have our own honey. I am hoping honey is not considered bad!
    I have done weeks without bingeing but at some point it always returns! The quantities are much less now but I still have a need to do it! I keep a stock of plain nuts and have fresh fruit every day. This sugar thing is so strong.
    I know too that when I am on the sugar I feel low! Off it I feel better. One day I hope I easily avoid it!
    By the way I use no convenience foods which is a big step forward.

I should never make lists…dear Chubs how are you doing? Cracking the whip at the gym? Hope the knee is feeling ok.

Aly great job ditching the processed convenience foods! Man, honey fresh from the hive, I’m not gong to say that’s bad! It’s sugar, but perhaps something you can savor as a real treat. Especially with some whole grains, yum. As I said, it’s a science lab here, we look for our own individual triggers, and it’s different for all. Sugar is mine, as I’ve discovered through VERY careful trial and error… I mean, you don’t want to brand anything with the “AVOID” label without being really sure 😏 ☒ right?

Hi everyone!,

Thanks for the warm welcome! Been an ok couple days, apart from silly collisions with Easter eggs, I almost hate them, if I didn’t like them so much! I got one for a present with some sweet bunnies, I looked at the sell by date, and thought “I’ll save that for October and a nice treat’, half an hour later there were only ‘crumbs’ really no surprise, and not going to beat myself up! I was amazed at just how many eggs were around in the shops, shelves heaving with them, when where I live plenty of homeless people, a silly irony.
    Queen, you asked why I’d put the weight back on, and tbh, it’s that I’m not being honest with myself, it’s like avoiding the issue, ‘yes I can handle sugar’ etc…but deep down that dishonesty means not thinking it matters (and it does) but at the same time, making FD accomplishments less important, by saying “Oh it doesn’t matter, a little cake here and there”. So I think I undermine my own efforts by not honestly acknowledging what I want to achieve!, so no more, I can see many of us are off the sugar fast lane, or trying and as Jade said (sorry if it wasn’t πŸ˜‰ having small goals makes the difference, otherwise not do-able. I not only worry about the impact on my health, choice of clothes but also my teeth!

Annette, that was must have been incredibly painful, your account of your baby, am so sorry. Congratulations on the running, fab! I ran too over a period of time, but have had to stop because of a painful knee. The Latin dance classes don’t seem to affect my knee, luckily, cos I’d cease to exist without my classes, they are an absolute passion, and saw me through a very rough period of bereavement and marriage breakdown. Didn’t set out consciously to start my classes, it did just kind of happen, a friend recently said to me ‘have you got a business plan? I’d never even considered it one, now I’m a bit more savvy. The great part for me is seeing people come to the class who have goals, and achieve them πŸ˜‰
    Last year when I managed to lose all the weight, I had all the FD’s written down above my fridge, and each one I did I gave myself a star! it sounds a bit corny, but it’s a huge accomplishment, and on those dodgy days, I have sayings such as ‘you’re giving your body a rest’ ‘not today, but tomorrow who knows’ (if you really want a biscuit) or if I’m really “hangry’ I go and brush my teeth or have a cup of tea. I’m going to start having the FD’s as a commitment to myself,and also as the days are getting longer, apart from the wild storm Katie today, just take a walk if I’m overwhelmed.

Hi alysans and lolly, welcome! xxxx bye for now

Welcome to you Yffan, coldpizza, Tango, alysans & Lolly – lovely to have you join us on Misfit island πŸ™‚ and great to read about your journey to here.

If I have read the amazingly comprehensive volume of posts right, the take home messages for me are:

1)Take good care of myself and value my own health as highly as those I love.
    2) Know the trigger foods or trigger moments after which you reach for food (that’s me πŸ™ ).
    3) Remove said trigger foods from the house and always have on hand something healthy for when genuine hunger hits.
    4) Chose strategies to remind myself that food is never going to be the answer unless the question concerns eminent starvation.
    5) Avoid travelling on the Perfect Bus (thanks Jade!)
    6) Share my struggles here but also with the people in my life I trust to understand.
    7) Don’t take myself or my struggles too seriously.
    8) Accept that it is always going to be an issue for me but that is not necessarily a life sentence (okay, it still feels like one atm!)

Given that I’ve been working on all this stuff for many years it’s probably number 8 that I’m finally coming to see is the key. I’ve lost lots of weight on many occasions but always gained it back (and the pattern is sadly repeating itself with a big hand from Easter over-indulgence) so I need to really get No. 8 firmly into my head. Maybe if I just get that straight, some of the other stuff will be easier, a bit like accepting one needs medication for something long-term, despite not wanting to take it.

I’m so impressed with, and humbled by the amazing life stories you all have, so much strength and resilience and so much determination to keep going on working out the way ahead. I’m so grateful to you all and inspired to keep working on it. Spring xx

Oh dear! About a week’s posts on several threads I read and I’m overwhelmed so forgive me for bursting in mid-stream. πŸ˜—

Welcome to everyone who’s new! You’ve found the right place and I hope we can all help one another along the road!

I’ve got good news and bad news. The bad news is I. Was. A. Pig. I engaged in every possible form of gluttony. The only thing I didn’t devour is candy. It didn’t even tempt me. 😲 Can’t understand that! But I did compensate by chowing down on everything else including strawberry shortcake. πŸ˜‹

And I didn’t even feel guilty. I just took 3 days off and made the most of them.

The good news is by not fasting over the weekend I put myself on a more convenient Mon & Tues schedule. And the even better news is I slipped right back into the pattern of fasting like chubby seal into water. Lunchtime is usually the hardest part for me but I looked up from what I was doing to notice it was already 1:30 and I hadn’t even had a twinge of hunger. Now it’s approaching dinnertime and my only problem has been the stoopid stomach acids again. 😑 But I’m sure I’ll get through that.

I may try for 3 FDs to atone for busting out of the size 12s almost as soon as I shoehorned myself into them last Thurs. We’ll see if I can manage it.

Other news is that some friends are coming up to visit next week. Happily, Mrs. has been IFing for about a month now. She’s already trim and fit but she wanted to take off a few pounds so she thought she’d try it. She is one of my foodie friends so, since she’s also IFing, she won’t be dismayed or put out when I’m not eating. And Mr. who’s skinny as a rail is already accustomed to Mrs. fasting.

Hope you all enjoyed the holiday! And I hope you managed it much better than I did. 😝

Pardon me, coldpizza, for my late greeting but welcome to the island. I’m not the sharpest tack in the box, so thank you Spring for the shout outs. And good to see you again, you lizard slayer you. πŸŠβ›

Well we are singing the same song – yes, it was an Easter egg deluge on the island! πŸŒ΄β›ˆ good heavens I tucked into the sugar. OK then, THAT’S over, let’s put it behind us – you’re so right, Chubs, no reason to feel guilty, and Tango ha ha save it for the sell-by date, riigghht πŸ˜‚. And Spring, you nailed that list, especially No. 8. It’s just the way it is especially as I get ever older! I’m still hoping that at some point, if I keep hacking away at these whole foods, my system will eventually throw in the towel and agree. Two FDs and 5 free-whole-food days…oh please please be enough without mfp, please please. πŸ˜πŸ€”πŸ˜πŸ™ƒ
    Great job getting back to business with the new schedule Chubs. I had too many social outings this weekend for a FD so I joined you today. It wasn’t too hideous thanks to Costco’s yummy chicken tortilla soup, 130 cals per cup. I added some sautΓ©ed zucchini and cabbage and it was quite filling. Somehow my brain is not screaming for sugar. So…if nothing else at least IF is clearing out the lizards every few days. That No. 8 is looking more doable that way. Stay strong islanders, you know we can do it, it’s our choice so let’s keep going. πŸ’ͺπŸ’ͺ xx

I just watched β€˜That sugar film’ by Damon Gameau, and what an eye-opener! All the lectures in the world could not have done more for me than watching that healthy young man droop into lethargy by replacing his usual food with the same number of calories using off-the-shelf manufactured products containing sugar. He gained weight on the SAME calorie count despite doing the same exercise — light bulb moment.

Thank you so much, annette, for suggesting it. This forum is chockablock with useful stuff to help us pick what works for each. Loved your checklist, comespring! It’s good sense, and that’s what I want to use.

Sugar’s a massive trigger for me. Can it really be that simple to change my life? (Note — didn’t say EASY!!) I owe it to myself to continue on with this sugar “avoidance” (love that!) and to value the peace over the sweet.

I read a story this morning about a coming world-wide sugar shortage. http://www.thekitchn.com/get-ready-for-a-sugar-shortage-229881

Won’t we be smug. …and slim! 😜

The gym was closed yesterday for “Easter Monday” (never heard of it before but it’s big up here). So today will be the first day back and my first day exercising on a FD. I feel ready for it and it’s just the stationery bike anyway.

Hello group,

Firstly I apologise that usually my posts are rather frantic, perhaps an insight into my personality… and life! I also try to type whilst I am free from prying eyes, or little people that make regular food demands, and often that means clicking send before reading through my posts. Please don’t see this as a lack of respect for you all but it’s a case of “better send this off before I loose my written brain dump”.

Jade please don’t apologise, I wasn’t offended at all, your post was really motivating. You offered some structured good advice with clear messages and who better to offer them than fellow, er, lizards. I don’t want to label you as a binger anymore Jade, nor Annette or anyone else in the group, as you guys have moved towards something much healthier.

I had a stressful day at work today but no one has been at home, so maybe the change in routine has allowed for it, but not preparing food for anyone else and just doing my own thing after work has been lovely.

My onwards and upwards philosophy has been reinforced by “cutting the sugar” yes, I hear the group cheer, and at the moment this is my only goal. I am also trying to avoid opportunity for binge, i.e identifying peak times and making sure I can’t!

Also a good TOM and although I am never “safe” as it were from the hunger monster… there are certain weeks it’s much easier. So watch this space.

Good luck all!

Annette

Your story is a hard one to read, I have heard snippets before of course but really reminds me of the hardships some people suffer. You sound so resilient (I apologise, I appreciate a message in a forum can’t portray your true emotions, but the fact that you can sort things out, still look after your boys and get round all this- wows).

Thank you of being kind enough to share and to also offer really great advice. I must seem very shallow in contrast.

How is the running going?

My hips and knees are painful but hopefully will recover, once I have lost a few lbs.

Thank you again x

Queen- Thank you for such kind comments.I also studied for a degree at the same time. Very very stubborn, but I like resilient!

I would never think that you were shallow, we all have our own struggles. I thought long and hard about sharing the sudden death of my baby daughter, but it is part of my history and part of why I became overweight. I ate my emotions and that is never healthy.

I wanted to encourage you to make the changes, to see that it was possible and to urge you to put yourself first.No one will help you make a change if it is inconvenient or doesn’t benefit them-remember that. You are central to how your family works, so take care of you and put your health first.No one else will do it for you. I stopped buying fruit yoghurts an chocolate mousses for the boys and after a lot of fridge door opening and comments, I explained that there was too much sugar in them and that I wasn’t buying them anymore, they complained, I suggested that they bought them themselves….and no one did or mention it again.No one looks in the fridge after a meal anymore…they go via the fruit bowl instead.

Running all started because I wanted to be able to get round a Half Marathon to raise money for research into SIDS and support for bereaved families…and with my son, we have raised money several times now. The running is going very slowly.

We are all here queen, standing behind you, urging you on. If i can so it…then anyone can.

Group Cheer Queen!!!

annette, it was kind of you to share that painful story. We all — no matter how long we’ve lived and what we’ve experienced to the contrary — keep that illusion that everyone else’s lives are “normal” and operate smoothly.

The downside of that is then we hold ourselves responsible for all the hiccups and heartaches in our own.

Better, like you, to focus on recovery, pick a goal at a time, and let ourselves move forward. Thanks for trusting us with your story and your victory.

It’s beautiful here today. I’m in my second FD and it’s going swimmingly. Can’t believe I slipped right back into my IF pattern without the typical many, many months and lots of self-loathing before making the correction!

I went to the gym this morning and congratulated myself on 40 minutes on the bike when I’m fasting. Then I realized I never have breakfast so I’m *always* in a fast of sorts when I do my biking so I scared myself over it for nothing. 😜 If I knew how to spell dummkopf I’d call myself one. 😝

On the way back I took this pic of my drive home: https://www.flickr.com/photos/75667634@N00/25517821803/in/dateposted-public/ Don’t look too closely or you’ll see the clumsy job I did of smooshing out the utility lines and light poles. But this is heaven on earth so I feel a responsibility to share as much of it as I can.

Chubs, we’ll only be smug if we avoid the other 40+ names that the food industry try to sneak in. The sugar shortage might be my fault, I have realized that I was having 56 teaspoons of sugar in my tea alone!!!

Lolly_ Yes, it really is that simple. I am very much a work in progress, but feel so much better with less of the white stuff in my life. I had no idea I was an addict on the binge/crave cycle. Miss Sticky Toffee Pudding is no more…and I feel brilliant.

spring-great list and so very true.

Tango-thank you.

Jade-How far we have come?

Sorry if I have missed anyone out, but dashing out the door.

Wow, I already was feeling emotional today, but you all have finished me off. Try listening to Beethoven’s 7th Symphony, the allegretto, when it crescendos…we will all be in a collective puddle. Annette, I knew your story, the parts you have shared before at least, and we can call it “resilience” but whatever it is, it is legendary. I see some of it in everyone here – we are resilient. I love not giving up. I love us.

So I went for a jog today, first time in at least a month! The weather was nice and I took the path by the river, Ludwig started playing and boom, that 7th Symph crescendo, I just sat down and blubbered right on the path, and I’m not typically a sad person. But of course I have known sadness, and it all just hammered me at that moment. Whew. Is that what sugar does to me, I wonder….well, then again Beethoven was a pretty talented fellow…..

Queen, super group cheer for you!! Keep up the fight v. sugar, girl, it will be worth it. Glad my rant wasn’t too over the top. And Chubs, great job of getting back into IF and hitting the gym. Those endorphins are wonderful little things. Annette I am with you on the running again – 4 miles today, though I had to walk a few times. My lungs right now are not happy with me, a bit of exercise asthma, but gosh it felt good. Tears and all.

Lolly, thanks for the review of That Sugar Film! I tried to download it but my iPad rebelled.😑 I will keep trying, though I’m pretty sold already on the whole idea (ha, get it? “whole” foods? πŸ˜‚) I do wonder if my moodiness the last couple of days was from the Easter sugar. No doubt it was a shock to my poor system after a good week or so of being virtuous. But I’m back on the path (literally) and more determined than ever. Night all, thanks for all the inspiration πŸ’•πŸ’ͺ xxx

Jade, try looking under ‘The Sugar Film’ on YouTube. ‘The’, not that. The whole film is there for the moment. I sent off for my own DVD today as I have a few people I care about who need to see this, too.

Gosh — I hope I haven’t spoiled the plot for you! πŸ˜€

Lolly_ I doubt that you have spoiled the plot. I have been going on about ‘that sugar book’ which lead me onto Robert Lustig since spring last year when I started to realize how much sugar was controlling what I ate and how often when I used myself as a very unscientific experiment.The light bulb moment for me was when Lustig referred to us as ‘victims of our biochemistry’ and that we were designed to seek out sugar and binge in it as it was originally such a rare treat. Now that we are surrounded by food 24/7 without the need to actually catch what we eat and so much of our food is full of sugar, we have become fat and sick. I found that by looking at what folk had in their shopping trolley and then looking at the size/shape of them spoke volumes.

Jade-I love the endorphins from running too. I generally feel taller as well, such a treat for a short person! I have only walked/run to 4 ish miles which is worrying as i have to get to 6 in 2 and a bit weeks. The 10K will have club runners who are very fast…but I will be in the handful at the very back, trying not to be last. I have never run to anything classical, it simply never occurred to me. Clever chap Beethoven. I am sure that sugar affects my mood too, I certainly feel more stable with less of it in my life. I might need hypnosis to cure my love of ice cream though!

We all have sadness in our lives, but as chubs said, this view that we have that everyone leads such perfect lives and so we then feel failures..is spot on. Together we can support, guide, advise and share our experiences and what we find works for us on this mission to have a healthier relationship with better quality food and our bodies. It is up to us what we decide to do at every step.

Queen? How are you doing?

Jade, I will have to search down that piece of music. It’s the one with the Ode to Joy, yes? But I’m not sure I can remember what movement you’re referring too. The whole piece, of course, is big and moving but I’ll have to come up to speed with what you experienced. Meanwhile, great job on the run!

annette, a man who was formerly Surgeon General of the US, David Kessler, wrote something similar. He said his biggest regret is that be began his research into commercial food preparation after he was out of office and had the platform he might have had. He was dogged in his research, tho. He hunted down people who were willing to be candid and even dumpster dove to get samples for analysis. And his conclusion was that American food producers — both industrial and restaurant chains — deliberately ADD the trifecta, sugar, salt and fat, in order to make food MORE addictive so that they can use that biochemistry against us. His book was called “The End of Overeating; Taking Control of the Insatiable American Appetite” if you’re interested.

Both you and Jade are doing a tremendous job of cutting out the sugar. I’m impressed! And I’m glad you’re managing to skip the little spoonful in your tea. πŸ‘ Are you able to taste the lovely notes in the actual tea better? I just hate when tea gets spoiled by things like flowers (except Jasmine), herbs, sugar and milk. And here I am in Vancouver where they won’t even *make* iced tea without sugar! 😑 I have to carry my own around with me.

Queen, do come back when you can and report on how you’re doing. I hope you’re carving out tiny goals and adaptations to give yourself some success to build on.

GREAT day for me. I’m in the 3rd day of water fasting and it’s going great. My husband has a business dinner so I won’t need to be around food later. I’m making a fabulous loaf of bread for company that’s coming this weekend. I’m back in the size 12s and it took me less than a minute to get the zipper all the way up. (Where’s the emoticon for sucking in your breath????) And I did an hour of intervals on the bike at the gym.

I think I’ve finally gotten the hang of HIT. I didn’t realize the program was customizable but I’ve now got it at a point that whips my *ss and breaks out a sweat for 4 minutes then I do 4 more at the lowest possible resistance. I managed an hour and I’m looking forward to when I get fit enough to get back down to my resting heart rate at my cruising intervals. The best I could do today was +40 at cruising speed and +70 at kick-butt speed.

And speaking of fitness, I KNOW you’re going to do great, annette! When you’re at the event and the adrenalin starts pumping and that’s what the whole universe is about you’ll come through. And that’s what’s important: finishing and mastering yourself not where you place. I KNOW you’ll do it! πŸ’ͺ

Chubs, I’d hum a few bars πŸ™‚ but if I did photobucket right the music ought to show up here (my iTunes calls it Symphony No. 7 in A Major, Op. 92: II. Allegretto):
     photo image_zps76wb4spl.png

Such a wonderful mix of emotions in that piece….

Congrats on mastering HIIT! And fitting back into the jeans – wheee! Great feeling. I used to go all-out when I jogged/ran, but find that intervals are easier especially for my aging lungs. So I guess I’m doing some HIIT too. Annette, you will be just fine on race day! You will not be the slowest, surely there are some who do quite a bit more walking. And you are out there – that’s the most important thing. We turtles need company too πŸ™‚ Interesting that running makes you feel tall, lol – it does make me feel better, stronger, not lazy, but…not tall. And I would love to feel tall! I actually wish I could go out again today, but I know better than to do two days in a row – 20 years ago my knees told me to leave a day in between. Lol not a whole month the way I just did.

Lolly thank you for the tip, I’ll look for THE Sugar Film. And MAN, just one more day of no-sugar and getting over the Easter business, and I feel TONS less weird, seriously I was not fun to be around the last couple of days, poor hubs….

Off to grade a few papers – keep up the great work islanders! jade xx

Hi there!

Managed a FD yesterday, so feeling quite good, and today was a fairly good day. The marketing ‘men’ have done a good job on me, lol, so when I read the BSD 800 cal plan I thought Michael was kidding with his suggestions of dollops of creme fraiche etc, but I’ve realized I’m that person who was getting bigger through the low fat diet, not only that but I don’t think twice about chowing down on a Freddo chocolate, but had drawn the line with good FAT. So apart from dropping the usual suspects, my triggers, which are endless, I’m adding some of the Fats I wouldn’t go near, e.g Feta cheese/halloumi/cottage cheese (difficult to buy full fat) and sour creme. Am only having these as a side, and Micheal did suggest, ‘match box’ size bits of cheese, and tbsps of sour creme or what have you. It is amazing how these small changes can work wonders πŸ™‚

Last year when I finally quit bread as we know it, I found a low GI version, so thought it worth a try, WRONG, kept eating more and more rounds of toast, to get a ‘hit’ as it were, so that has gone, and I don’t do butter, because toast is a major trigger. As Jade mentioned FD’s are so much harder with the dreaded sugarlurking. Yesterday was hard bc the day before had a Portuguese ‘tarta de nata’ a beautiful thing, but by 6pm I had such a sugar crash, and it added to my ‘gnawings’ yesterday, πŸ™ serves me right)

Am Fasting tomorrow, and really trying to work on colour themes on FD’s a plate of orange, red and green veg, with a bit of olive oil (to get the vitamins kicking in) and a couple of boiled eggs or tuna/salmon, maybe have a few cals for raspberries and a bit of greek yoghurt. I like the thought of FD’s really being a day off for your body/ and really turbo charge the amount of water I drink, I got ghastly headaches last year, so literally drink on the hour.
    and add orange slices to fizzy water if I’m at home. Am also big on the herbs, Thyme for roasted veg, paprika too, and a huge chili fan. To add ‘sweet’ I put cinnamon and nutmeg on greek yoghurt, both I hated to begin with, but cinnamon is said to lower blood sugar and other benefits.

Recently I got scared reading BSD bc there’s a quiz you can do to find out if your addicted to carbs, I got ‘moderately addicted’ and ‘probably at risk of diabetes’, sobering news. The book is great, (although I did shout at Michael a bit) for the recipes, all low carb, you can find them online. Why did I shout at him? because he says in the book, the original 5:2 is based on 500 cals, but now he says ‘going up to 800 cals is unlikely to make much difference’ I was so annoyed (that’s when the shouting started) not much difference? why the hell didn’t I do 800 from the beginning? the loss would have been slower for sure…anyway, once I had calmed, I did see his point, and I’m glad I stick to 500-600ish, always got the safety net of 800..I’ve got a few goals coming up, so am hoping to do 8 pure and classic FD’s and see what it does, also will be keeping off the carbs. Queen you have support here! If I can do it, anyone can…don’t always have successful days, on my report it might say, ‘good progress, keep at it’. Comespring did love your list, especially number 7, life can be too short.

Annette and Jade, hope to join you on the running quest, it’s a beautiful thing, this ‘man’ is down though, due to injury, will have to start from the beginning, as have not ran since Jan 18 (when I did my knee in) this weekend am planning a trot on the grass, run/walk/run/walk back to basics..

See you soon
    hi la chubster, lolly and anyone else I’ve forgotten..xxx :):)

Tango, well done on the FD under temptation. I shall now picture you weaving colourful place mats out of veggies to sustain yourself through tomorrow. Keeps the hands busy AND it’s edible, too… hmm. I may have to steal this for my own FD tomorrow!

Go, all you Speed Racers! What an impressive lot with all this jumping and running. I love it.

Yes, Lolly. Jade and annette were definitely inspirations to me.

I started by setting a timer and getting up once an hour to walk on my inclined treadmill for 5 minutes at a time. Actually, before I got to that point I just got up and walked around my house. But the spirit of their activity and their accomplishments drew me in and got me taking my movement seriously.

We all have to start somewhere. 😏

Hi, Tango. Nice to meecha!

A lot of the first stage is just the kind of experimentation and learning you’re doing. Eventually I think we all discover that we only make things harder and slower for ourselves if we don’t give up the sugar and the refined starchy stuff. I had to go much farther because I discovered there are no grains that don’t make me behave like a food addict. But I’m so glad I figured that out because it’s been pretty smooth sailing since then. …hiccups like Easter notwithstanding. 😳

But, seriously, this is the easiest and most reliable diet I’ve ever been on. I think I can do this forever. I don’t even miss the stuff I’ve given up when I do the fasts that keep me on track.

Look at this, bingers! http://www.takepart.com/article/2016/03/30/toxic-bpa-found-in-most-canned-food-packaging?cmpid=tp-ptnr-huffpost&utm_source=huffpost&utm_medium=partner&utm_campaign=tp-traffic We may be being sabotaged by canned foods that leach BPA into their contents.

I try to really limit the prepared foods I buy and consume but I have been buying canned products like tomatoes and a number of other things. Fortunately it says things packaged in glass and tetra packs are less problematical. Some food processors are now packaging tomatoes in tetra packs.

It’s so frustrating to be at the mercy of sources and information that are so far beyond our control! But the same advice we’ve been getting since about the 60s seems to apply: stick to what grows on a tree, comes out of the ground or walks, swims or flies and eat it closest to it’s original form.

Thanks again Lolly, I was able to watch “the” sugar film in its entirety on YouTube. Yay! πŸŽ‰ Funny, I started not to, felt it a waste of time as I KNOW sugar is bad for me. But it’s another thing to watch – seeing the change in him, and seeing him pour pure sugar on his food or eat a sugar cube sandwich was just sickening. I need to visualize the same in all the sugar-added food, and really stick to it this time!! I’m pleased to say we had lunch out yesterday and I did NOT have ketchup with my fries. πŸ‘πŸŽ–Right!? Seriously, I know fries aren’t the healthiest, but they’re worse (esp for me) covered with sugar.

Chubs keep singing, sister – your pep talks always cheer me up! I don’t think I’m grain sensitive though I do need to look for no-sugar-added. I hope that is the key for permanent control. After lunch yesterday I was barely hungry at dinner, had some hummus and snap peas plus a few Triscuits. Then a massive glass of water with my old friend, the lemon slice 😍 Worked like a charm. And feeling almost normal today. So far.
    ps: just saw your post, *sigh* yet another poison in our food, and one that the mfrs know is bad. Phase out by 2017 I mean don’t rush into it or anything. Luckily I don’t ever use canned soups or veg, though do the canned tomatoes and beans. Easy enough to use dried beans. Thanks for the link!

Tango, thanks also for sharing your experience, yes it is hard to buy full fat! The plain yogurt they sell at Costco for instance is fat free, but no sugar added so good choice for me. I use butter much more liberally now and yum esp on seafood πŸ˜‹ Your FD colors sound like a gorgeous feast! Lol, weaving an edible placemat, Lolly πŸ˜‚ I saw an article about edible spoons, can’t say I haven’t wanted to eat a few wooden spoons in my day. And I do love to walk and jog, but for anyone who can’t, the endorphins are the thing, just get them by swinging a cat or bench pressing a dog. In fact, I need to do more strength exercises but I seem to find any other way to use my spare energy πŸ’ͺ Youngest daughter is into cross-fit as are many of my students, but at my age I think I’ll stick with what I know. πŸ‘

Annette I had a wild thought to try a 10k or half coming up, but am seriously behind in training. I’m such a copycat, I know I want to do it because you are having all the fun. Probably best I sit in the bleachers and just cheer you on πŸŽ‰ for now. 😊

Must go clean the house before the cleaner gets here and sees how messy we really are! 😧 jade xx

Oh, Jade! What a moving piece of music. I listened to a Leonard Bernstein version. And what an inspired thing to choose it for running! That would NEVER have occurred to me. I’d put on something with a pumping rock beat or maybe even an audiobook. I’d NEVER think of Beethoven. But you go, girl!

As for whole milk yogurt, have you considered making you own? It’s VERY easy and despite the fact that there are actual appliances available it requires nothing more than a pan and a thermometer. I make mine with whole milk, some non-fat milk powder, vanilla and a bit of condensed milk (yes, annette, I realize that’s FULL of sugar but I don’t use much and it makes my yogurt yummy). There’s nothing in it that I haven’t added because I *want* it in there.

There’s a yogurt up here in Canada which is THE MOST DELICIOUS stuff on earth. It has 9% milk fat — which must mean they add some cream — and it has a sort of lemon curd at the bottom which is killer! I eat it VERY sparingly because there’s sugar in that lemon curd but, god!, is it good!

IF you decide to do yogurt let me know. I can give you a very easy method. I’ve also got a recipe for some very delicious and easy lemon curd too. Whole milk yogurt, lemon curd and blueberries! Heaven in a bowl for breakfast! But I don’t do that anymore. 😝

I did my 3-day water fast. I feel great — tho i have been woken up the last 2 nights with horrible leg cramps. If it weren’t for the leg cramps I might go for 4 days. Can’t figure out what those cramps come from but they always accompany fasts. I mean going back years and years. One cramp actually snapped the tendon (is it a tendon or a ligament?) between one of my big toes and the next one! OUCH! When I get them only standing in a bath of really hot water will stop them. Now I have one foot with chimpanzee toes. https://boneclones.com/images/store-product/product-1469-main-main-big-1418758157.jpg

Wow, LA — you made me sit up and take notice. I’ve relied more than I’d like on tins for some things in my larder. This is going to change.

So glad you were able to see the film, Jade. It struck me so forcefully, watching him eat that sugar, how I was doing the same — and so much worse. I’ve taken a mental screen capture for my brain wall!

You people are insatiable — now I have to go out and buy a cat to swing, apparently.

Just read the article about canned food. Somehow I am not surprised given all I have discovered recently. I do not use many cans but will get rid of what I have. My diet is now almost clean, cooking from scratch with real food.
    I have yet to address the sugar addiction but am working towards it! How can our governments allow this to happen?

Oh Aly I agree, how could they…in the sense of why do they. Money talks though, and so many secrets just get swept under the rug – while often those in the know avoid the dangers. Until finally we’re all sick enough that it must be acknowledged, and then studied, and etc. before the problem is actually addressed. Makes me nuts. 😑

Chubs, glad you felt the power! I often go classical for exercise, it makes me feel timeless. And especially when outside for a jog, nature all around seems magnified by the great classics. It’s just a punch to the heart sometimes πŸ‘Š in a good way of course! LOL the chimp toes!!!!

Lolly yes you must have at least 2 cats! And two dogs. Bonus is that they provide daily opportunities for bending, stretching, and cardio floor scrubbing! It’s a win-win πŸ˜‚

So much for a FD here, we are going out with friends tonight. But yesterday was so restrained, I feel pretty good about the week. The sugar cycle is rough going for a few days but when the cloud lifts, it’s really noticeable. I think, like Gameau, it’s far worse if your system is fairly clean before the onslaught, which for me was Easter. But that’s even greater incentive for me to keep it up. Catch you all later! jade xx

Jade- I ran/walked a 10K this am in a chill wind on a bright sunny day…in the sun and sheltered it was warm, in the shade or the teeth of a gale in was chilly. A thin long sleeved top and running tights were too warm…most of the time. I am going to be the very last person getting round unless I can pick up the pace. Perhaps shorts and a vest top will make me run faster?!! I wanted to see how long it was going to take me..and it is 11 minutes slower than my fittest, which doesn’t sound much but is the same time as the people last people finished.

I need to catch up with all the posts for today and will join in later/tomorrow.

OY, I knew I should not have done that. Could not resist seeing if I was in shape to run a 10k. I am not! But do one I did, in the blistering time of 88 minutes. And now with runner’s nausea, despite carrying water to sip along the way. What a hard head I have…..however, I am 16,000 steps on the good side for the day. And can promise you all I do not want any sugar.

Annette surely there are wackos like me in your race. You will not be the last. But even if you are, you should be proud for getting out there. In my marathon of years ago, I was passed by people who looked at least 90 and I finished 4 minutes before the course closed!! And I did train for it, not being entirely insane. Just enjoy it and don’t fret, que sera sera and all that. And at least you know you are faster than I am! xx

Viewing 50 posts - 2,001 through 2,050 (of 3,046 total)

You must be logged in to reply.