I am a binger – any info on fasting and bingeing

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Science of intermittent fasting
I am a binger – any info on fasting and bingeing

This topic contains 3,042 replies, has 111 voices, and was last updated by  Delayedgratification 4 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1,501 through 1,550 (of 3,046 total)

• Hello Everyone,
    After 3 weeks on not weighing/fasting/measuring/puddings, but eating more wholefoods and avoiding sugar….I am 2 lb lighter, but the really exciting part is that my actual waist(around the belly button) is half an inch smaller, my thighs are half an inch smaller and so are my hips!!!!
    I am sure that less sugar in my diet has a lot to do with this, as my actual waist size has not budged in many months. Just 5 days of no sugar in my tea, but I have had the odd piece of cake and some chocolate and yet there is less of me. I have also reached a 2 year goal of both my weight and my waist measurement, but my waist is much more important.
    The pink shorts are still snug and sadly I don’t look anything like Ursula Andress! I am thrilled and will continue for the next 2 weeks until the end of term(still got 2 Christmas dinners in the last week) and then see where I am.
    Don’t worry about over eating whole foods, just ask yourself whether you are hungry before you do, it’s what i do all the time now. Glad the little one is getting better.

Oh that’s fantastic Annette – go you! I have found the 2# you lost πŸ™‚ because I am loving my wholegrains and fruits a bit too much.

Are you limiting fruits or grains at all? If not, maybe you’re just naturally a better omnivore than I am. I’d love to follow your lead, but must be careful not to confuse hunger with simply craving the sweetness of fruit or texture of bread.

How do you find (psychologically) skipping the scale? I believe I do behave better without it. But I’ll probably keep counting the cals because I can’t trust my appetite just yet. I’m totally sold on the whole foods idea, and loving how much better I feel, but of course I can overdo a good thing.

Rainy Saturday here, time to go cook a wonderful soup I think. Stay warm (or cool, Spring!) all my lovely fast friends. We can’t fail if we never give up. xxx

Thanks Jade. I eat my main meal at work and just make my choice on what I like to eat, those portions are not under my control. If there is nothing much that I like then I will have salad and eat in the evening with the boys. I weigh pasta and rice to the recommended portion size and eat brown of both. I like fruit so eat it when ever I like. I have a 2 slices of wholemeal bread a day with peanut butter or an avocado as my evening meal, when I have had a main meal at work.

I haven’t logged what I have eaten at all or counted calories in those 3 weeks. I just thought that I would try Lustigs comment that by eating wholefood, there was no need to diet…and see what happened. I have been on a plateau for the last 3 months although my clothes were showing that I was getting smaller.

I became convinced after 6 months of the 5:2 that the scales were not reflecting the change in my body shape or were an accurate measure of health, and as the tape measure only works on that bit of body that is measured wasn’t very accurate either. Not using the scales for 3 weeks has been liberating, they are going away for the next 2 weeks and then I will see what the damage is from 2 Christmas Dinners and a meal out with girlfriends.

Clothes try-on last night and my wardrobe is shrinking again. But dresses that were straining across the bust in the summer….are not anymore which is lovely. I have been leaving a bit later for work, so that I have to walk faster, which is helping to trim those inches along with less sugar in my diet, I think.

There are storms here of high wind and driving rain this weekend, so i am not running this weekend either. I have been relying on a brisk 45 minute walk each way for 5 days which works out to be 10,000 steps plus whatever I do at work.

Glad that you are enjoying the wholefoods. They make me feel better too. My shopping is much quicker as I only shop at the edges of the shops now too.

Hello fasters/misfits,

Annette your diet sounds great. I think you just describe a lifestyle choice. I can’t remember if you binged much before adopting the fasting/wholefood diet?

I am loving your 10 000 steps idea, I like a goal, and blimey it’s five miles! I really love walking and I’m hoping it’s something I/we can sustain. My real goal is to find stuff I/we can keep up with (I loved running but really hurt my knees years ago).

Sticking to the outside of the supermarkets sounds ideal! Jade, I’m so grateful you were honest about the bread, as I kept “testing” myself, i.e, a sandwich if sustaining, wholegrain/seeded but I just, on some days want a loads… despite it being wholegrain, despite my stomach being full, in fact I can ignore the ice cream, the sweets… yet bread and cereal…. so this morning, feeling assertive I just thought, why keep testing myself, making it tough, don’t have it. Have it at the weekends and accept I’ll probably not do so well with moderation but during the week make stews and soups (which everyone else in the family is happy with). I don’t know why I keep testing my character flaws… i.e keep five loaves of bread and see how long I can hold off!

I really feel like you have “cracked it” Annette – well done!

I looked at my past weights and every month, in that last two weeks of the month my BE occurs most frequently and each month I gain a range between 5-7lbs then lose i again in the next two weeks! Mostly…. some months I don’t, if I’m tired or someone has been ill they weight stays over those next two weeks.

Always good to come on here and share my own views with you! so thank you for being patient.

Sorry about the grammar above!

Hi Queen,
    I read about the 10,000 steps idea and it is always my goal on days off and holidays from work. It is easy for me as 45 minutes=5,000 steps.That is just a baseline for the amount of walking each day just to be healthy. My son had severe depression 5 years ago and I would get him out walking for a couple of ours in the summer after my day at work, which meant that I was losing weight and getting trimmer too.

I was a secret eater as well as someone who would just scoff whatever was around, despite my efforts to restrain myself. I would buy family packs of various chocolates with the intention of sharing them when I got home, but I would eat them all myself and then wonder why I was not getting any smaller. Bonkers!

I have noticed since my sugar reduction in January, which was an incidental bonus, when my focus was purely on how much caffeine I was consuming in all that tea, that sugary food was making me feel rubbish after I had eaten it. I then experimented to see how much of the sweet stuff I could eat and still feel fine, I found that reducing my sugar intake has also reduced my desire for sugary foods. I never thought that I could reduce my sugar intake or feel so much better with less of it.

Just try eating wholefoods. I will not say that I am giving up sugar(except in tea) but merely avoiding it, so perhaps that will help you Queen. Nothing is bad or banned in my world, I would just become obsessed with that item, merely avoiding takes all that pressure off and any feeling of guilt or failure. For me, that is the secret. It is after all, just food. It doesn’t have the power to make us miserable or to feel guilty/demoralized or a compete failure….no we do that ourselves and we have to stop.

I am a recovering addict, thinking that food will make me feel better when I am sad or lonely, tired or bored. The best thing for me to do when I fell like this is to get out for a brisk walk out of the house. I always feel much better afterwards.

Thanks Annette – very helpful! Walking does so much good for the mood as well as the bod πŸ™‚ And clever you, leaving later and walking faster. You almost make it sound like fun.

I have trouble even figuring out how to “avoid” food. Well sugar is easy enough, but wholegrains and such I don’t want to eat with guilt. So thanks also for the two slices of bread idea — sounds like a nice doable portion. I think I’ll aim to postpone until the evening, so as not to awaken Breadzilla during the day.

Right, Queen – why do I buy things and then expect them not to heckle me until they are consumed. Lately I’ve frozen excess bread/rolls and just kept out a reasonable 1-2 days’ portion. Like you I have bounced this same weight around for a while. I’m gradually coming to terms with the fact that I do have a TDEE and it is not as high as I’d like.

So, embracing the wholefoods thing, I made “spanish brown rice” from Fat Chance cookbook last night. Not spectacular, but hubs loved it, so maybe my experiments will help deflate his spare tire. I did feel full – of course had well over the 1/2 cup (~250 cal) serving but as a main. My problem is then wanting a snack before bed. I’m starting to think I have breakfast after all, just at 9 p.m. πŸ™‚ Maybe that’s my next mini goal – stop the bedtime snack.

I am off the scales for a bit, too – I’m always curious, but right now I feel great. I know how quickly that can change just seeing a number. I need to invent a scale that says “nice going, Slim!” or “it’s just the rice – water weight” or even “maybe lighten it up today, but don’t worry, you’re still the same size.” Instead, all I see is “Wow, hungry??” or “You are a cow.”

All right, it’s off to work with me – grading papers in hopes of being done well before Christmas. xx jade

Hi Jade,
    I was inspired by a programme that showed that even walking faster for short periods could help reduce visceral fat, so I thought that I would try it and see for myself. It is fun to see where I am and what time, I have probably forgot to tell you that i live in a city that is surrounded by hills and that i work on one of those hills. My walk starts fairly level but the last 20 minutes are up a steep hill. It is a workout!
    I can take or leave wholemeal bread, it is the white stuff that I can scoff all day. I have no idea why but i bought 2 loaves yesterday and there is little left now…lesson learned, it cannot be in this house.
    I dealt with evening snacking by only having fruit, that was my only option and it works too. I didn’t give myself another choice and over time I have found that I often don’t bother anymore.
    Youngest son who has lost a stone and wants to be fit, has given up alcohol. I was talking to him about sugar and that rather than avoid fat or carbohydrates, he should just focus on reducing sugar. He was out for the afternoon and told me that when he was looking for a drink, he thought that flavoured water would be fine and that he couldn’t believe how much sugar there was in the drinks at the shops. He says that he chose the lowest amount and was still shocked when I told him how many teaspoons it was. I hope that if he just looks at this figure when he is out and about that will help him.
    I wish scales did say that Jade! Put them away and focus on quality food. Have a try on of your clothes to ‘see’ the difference.

Hello Dear Island friends,

Good to see so many posts and lots of great ideas sloshing around. I’ve had the worst possible couple of days over the weekend with over eating galore – seems this is one of the ‘not so good’ weeks in my so called winning streak!

1.5lbs to go mcca!!! That is an awesome achievement!!! Let us know when you get there and we’ll have a good old Misfit Island celebration!! There is some stuff below about the link/s between the gut and the brain (as in, neural pathways) but just exactly how it all works is still under investigation. However, there are some scientists hopeful it may help with obesity and eating disorders, as it is also implicated in anorexia.

Queen, I’ve been doing a bit of reading around work done by John Cryan and Ted Dinan in particular who are researching gut-brain communication and mental health and find it a really interesting hypothesis. It would of course be lovely to think that prebiotics & probiotics could help (or solve!) the problem but a further issue for me is the lack of specificity in the probiotic profile as probiotic preparations often give little indication beyond Lactobacillus or Bifidobacterium and certainly no information at strain-level. As the strain of bacteria used in various studies differ and the effects are believed to be not only species-specific but even strain-specific, they obviously can’t be generalised. For now I’ll stick with the prebiotics and all those yummy foods you mentioned!

Jade, my lovely normal friend. Sugar is part of the issue I’m sure but is perhaps unlikely to be the whole story? This is a long slow struggle so be kind to yourself (she says, telling herself off for such terrible weekend behaviour… πŸ˜‰ )

Annette, well done to the incredible shrinking woman!! So glad for your success in this venture and I know your boys will also be benefiting.

Okay, well time to get back to work. Happy fasting/healthy-feasting everyone! Spring xx

… Do you ever throw food out? For me, that feels so wasteful… test obviously if I eat it and don’t need it, it’s wasteful.

We have lots of dark chocolate (nice quality) bars of chocolate in the house…I would give them to homeless people/food bank but they are already opened.. and I keep going back to them, even though they are 70% cocoa ++. I can’t resist them (I was given them so feel guilty to throw them out), that and the bread… I’m considering throwing them all out. Just for a bit, have you ever done that? I wish I could have willpower! I am at home all day at the moment as the little one is still ill! I could never have a stay at home job and stay within a healthy BMI… how do people cope?

The odd thing with me, and I suppose I want solidarity or empathy..as I feel odd, but the more I eat, the more I want, does that make sense to anyone?

Comespring. Always so interesting to read you posts! I am doing the same, just eating lots of probiotic stuff, it can’t do any harm, as they are known to be nutritious foods anyway. I am having probiotic yogurts but again, I would eat yogurt anyway so I might as well choose a live yogurt.

good luck fasters sorry for my repetitive posts…

I got sent this link today which is rather interesting. http://time.com/4125083/why-losing-weight-is-hard/?xid=newsletter-brief

Queen, put the chocolate in a freezer bag and pop it into the freezer. Then have a look at what you are actually eating. I suspect that dark chocolate is just keeping you on the treadmill of wanting more, so remove it and eat fruit. See what happens for 7 little days and see how you feel.

I am on day 8 of no sugar in my tea, which after 40+ years is rather remarkable. I have also realized that the shakes that I used to get when I was hungry have been gone for months. I suspect that was my blood sugar ping ponging all over the place, but not any more.

Oh indeed Spring, sugar is only part of my problem, but such a big problem for me and my sweet tooth. I don’t mind the process being long and slow, as I like pondering things. It probably would help if I pondered less, but I’m in the legal field so we ponder a lot :). So of course I looked up Cryan and Dinan and their research IS fascinating. I could barely follow what you wrote above, though – you must be a science genius. Good reading for the rainy day here – do you recommend specific links? Hm, now I’m hungry for yogurt, wonder why….

Yes Queen, I too have terrible problems tossing food. Lucky I can take almost any sweets (open or not) to school and they’ll vanish. Maybe you could chop and freeze that chocolate to use later in some bake and take thing (oops, just saw Annette posted similar). OR just grit your teeth (NOT on the chocolate bars!) and toss them. I did feel pretty awesome doing that with the marshmallow fluff jar. And yes, when I “tip the balance” to the point of overeating, it’s like the appetite floodgates open. Another good reason for me to stop when I’m full. Whenever that is πŸ™‚ – sometimes I don’t know until it’s too late.

Annette, thank you for your patient advice to all my questions. (Note to Queen – YOU repetitive? I’ll fight you for that title lol – please never worry, I always enjoy all your posts). Well done on the tea! I so appreciate your description of cause and effect.

Mcca, can’t wait to celebrate you at your goal! We’ll roast a pig on the Island and toast you with mai tais. I will open a grass skirt shop here in the cave.

Where is the lovely Michel?

Happy workweek all – stay strong and enjoy! xxx

If anyone’s interested, Lustig’s Fat Chance Spanish rice has grown on me. It made a huge batch so I just threw some into chicken broth and it’s a fantastic low-cal soup:
    2 T olive oil
    1 cup each chopped onion & red bell pepper
    1 T chopped garlic
    2 cups uncooked brown rice
    3.5 cups water
    1 cup crushed tomatoes
    1 T each chili powder and cumin
    1 t salt
    Saute onion, pepper, garlic med heat till tender. Add rice, brown ~2 min. Add water, tomatoes, spices, bring to boil then simmer uncovered till rice is done. Says 45 min, mine took longer AND I had to add water. It says it makes 4 cups, 230 cals per 1/2 cup serving. My batch turned out way larger than 4 cups so one serving might be <230 cals. I added chicken and some turkey sausage, so that brought it back up πŸ™‚ But overall just chock full of good nutrition. Cheers xx

GRRGUREHATLHH – this is the sound of me unhinging my jaw from a bar of caramel.

Yes, Island Friends, that’s right. After my good weigh in I lasted all of about an hour before my ‘celebratory eating’ began… and hasn’t stopped for about four days. Or is it five? Repetitive posts, Queen? It’s like blooming Groundhog Day in my house. WHY DO I NEVER LEARN?

So, you know, back to lurking, overeating and avoiding the scales. HMPH. Good news is it has only been four (or possibly five?) days, so I am going to say it’s good I caught it early.

Thank you Spring and Jade for the encouragement and celebrations but we will have to keep the party poppers in their wrappers for now at least…. hopefully we can all let them loose when we finally reach the mainland.

Queen – your dark chocolate in the house – I’d make brownies and then give them away. Then people think I am being nice but I am actually just trying to get them away from myself. Win, win. And YES definitely the more I eat the more I want. Particularly if I eat a big heavy meal one evening my husband wakes up and says ‘urgh I am so stuffed I can’t eat anything’ but me, I think my stomach stretches inside and it is this big empty balloon saying “fill me, fill me”. So that’s why the no-breakfast (or ‘later breakfast’) is a good thing for me because I just keep eating from whenever I start.

Annette/Queen – I’m down with the 10,000 steps. I’ve borrowed a FitBit which is just a gimmick really but it did show me that if I walk the kids to school and back (30 mins AM and PM) I get up to 8,000 without thinking about it, and I feel better for it too. And having worn it to the gym one day (no, I am not a regular gym-goer, it was just once) on a day when it was too rainy to walk to school, I can see that the 1 hour walk was clocking up more steps than the gym visit, so it really is a good (and painless!) thing to add in to your day if possible.

Gut microbes – hmmm, I think I might try them! Worth a go. That said I have been eating a lot of full-fat bio Greek yoghurt because on another one of Dr Mosley’s programs I remember him saying that soup and yoghurt helped you loose weight, and I love Greek yoghurt and it keeps me full and sated.

Jade you asked me what I did to get down to my happy weigh in weight – I’ve been thinking about this because I can’t say it is any one thing, or that I really feel that I have made enormous changes to my life.
    So I think what it must be is that I have made lots of little adjustments and that they are starting to add up… so firstly the thing I did a year ago is give up milk in my coffee ‘cos I worked out if I saved 100 cals a day by doing this it would equate to 10 lbs over the course of a year. Then of course I joined the ‘no breakfast/later breakfast’ club (LOVE THAT, THANK YOU JADE), then I started eating more of stuff I like that has lots of fat in it but keeps me feeling happy and sated like peanut butter, avocados, greek yoghurt. I also always have a bowl of salad as a side to my dinner. I try to drink more water because I am rubbish at doing that, so I force myself to glug it down, not as often as I should but more than I would otherwise. I started walking the kids to school about a month ago and I love that. It keeps my head clear and my mood more stable. I also have been eating a lot of dates (sorry Annette!) – I know they are full of sugar but they make me less sugar crazy than processed sugar I think. Also the other thing I do is keep a small bag of those gourmet jelly beans in the house, so if I can go and grab 5 or so just to get a little hit if necessary.

Reading that all back it sounds like I am all super healthy now which is just not the case at all. I’m constantly cheating and failing and stuff like that, but most importantly I am still plugging away at it – every other ‘diet’ I have ever been on has lasted a month or two at most. Here I am in Year 2 of 5:2!

Love to all the islanders!! xx

Ooh that Spanish Rice looks good πŸ™‚

Ditch the dates and the jelly beans! They are pure sugar and the reason why you are on this cycle. Eat almonds, so much better for you and will fill you up.

You have to change what you are eating.

If I can give up sugar in my tea after 40+ years then I am quite sure that you can substitute the jelly beans and dates for nuts.

Well done on the walking the kids to school and eating the other good food. You are being controlled by the sugar fix, as you say for the hit, so free yourself. They may be gourmet but they are still pure sugar……..
    I ran a half in September and used 1500 calories during 13.1 miles, but I consumed 3000 calories just to get round, mostly in jelly babies. Food for thought?

Ah, dear Annette, I had to laugh as I imagined a new reality TV show “What Not To Eat” with you clearing out cupboards of illicit sugar. My daughter and I loved watching “What Not To Wear” — she actually submitted photos from my closet, sure that I was a worthy contestant. No doubt I’m a good subject for what not to do in a lot of situations πŸ™‚

And speaking of which, I’m just flunking the hell out of NFDs. I’ve tried various approaches:
    1. Eat what I like. HA.
    2. Log everything on MFP. Feels like prison, hate it.
    3. Eat only whole foods. Still overeating, though not craving.
    4. Ditch the scales, eat mindfully. (Still overeating.)
    5. ?? (I’m thinking I’m thinking!!)

Well I’m no genius, but I guess #2 MFP is the winner. Still, I hate it; every bite feels monitored and not in an enjoyable way. I’m going to go back in the cave and ponder this over a bowl of air (trying a FD today). xxx

Ha Ha! Jade

I had a stressful morning at work and then found that I had eaten 5 biscuits in rapid succession…and then found I was looking for the sweet stuff for the rest of the day, which is interesting. I suppose that habits are going to take some time to change.

Home and back to real food I just feel better, less tired for one thing.

Sorry to disappoint Jade but I have honey, granulated, soft brown, dark brown, demerara and caster sugar all on my baking shelf. Nothing is banned, merely avoided unless I am making cakes….

My approach has been for the past 3 ish weeks, to ditch the scales and tape measure, just eat more wholefoods and snack on fruit etc, not logging anything at all….and having faith in the change in habit/feeling that the overeating would settle down, which it has. Try it and see. To not crave is a remarkable achievement from where you were, when you seemed to believe that it was not possible not to crave. My challenge for you to join me and try it has proved successful so why not join me again for a small experiment? If you feel that you are overeating,then put more red lentils in it, that will slow you down!

I don’t mind trying stuff out but getting other folks to give it a go when you have found it great….is very hard. Never mind, onwards and downwards. Day 9 of no sugar in my tea and I think that it is nearer 45 years…

It’s true, I’m grateful to have (almost) conquered my sugar habit. But I’ve picked up 3 lbs now, doing the whole foods thing. That’s OK, I’m not giving up on them. But I’ve figured out that I need to go back to the 5:2 basics that worked in the beginning.

For one, I’ve been anxious about hunger instead of treating it like the the no-big-deal thing it used to be. So FDs creep well over 500, and on NFDs, I convince myself I’m starving or soon will be, so I overeat. So I’ll stick to whole foods (MORE lentils? we’ll see) and try not to scream when hunger strikes. Ever hopeful! xx

Sounds good Jade.

Oh Jade, I could so have written your last post, but added to it:

6 Do WW for a few weeks, lose weight, gain it back, feel sad
    7 Eat for Australia and feel sadder
    8 Beat myself up and feel even sadder still
    9 Throw a pity-party festooned with “It’s just to hard” and “Whaa, whaa, whaa” banners & balloons
    10 Try to engage smart brain but only succeed in sabotaging the latest effort.
    11 ???????

Still, I am NOT giving up and today is a new day. I had a good day yesterday and I’m going to have another good day today (gulp :-0 don’t want to jinx it)

I find the variations in my response to hunger can also derail me. For many, many months I was amazed at just how zen I was about hunger and no longer afraid of it. Now it scares the bejewels out of me again. I think one of my mistakes is to see ‘myself’ (psyche) as somehow static, rather than dynamic. It’s like I’m living on a boat but refusing to learn to sway and wondering why I fall over all the time. I’ve gotta learn to SWAY, people!! Spring xx

Ha mcca, I forgot to say you made me laugh out loud. Did you ever get your teeth out of that caramel? I believe I’ve made that sound. Recently.

Annette, right, bags of sugar aren’t our problem are they πŸ™‚ NO, I’m a quick-fix hoover; if it’s not already made I am not going to all that bother. And really, biscuits at work? I have a hard time picturing you scoffing them. One of my lizards must have escaped and flown across the ocean to you. Please keep him. Torture him if you want to.

Spring, absolutely – why do I never remember to sway?! I’m never the same two days in a row. You’d think I’d have figured that out by now, but my Smart Brain has been a quart low lately. I wasn’t craving sugar but was definitely eating for Australia and several other continents, I mean mowing down those whole grains like a brushhog. Seriously I was running from hunger like it was going to kill me.

Sooo. I had a strict FD today, in fact I didn’t finish my 350-cal salad. I’m feeling the hunger that isn’t unpleasant, sort of disconnected from ME, if that makes sense. It’s like feeling hunger without anxiety, maybe. Well, I’m sure it will pass! No, I mean tomorrow could be different, so let the journey proceed, I guess.
    Sway on, gentle Islanders!! I like our language πŸ™‚ jade xx

Well that worked nicely.
    I managed the brain/hunger separation thing for a full day. Maybe reconnecting with real hunger did the trick? Seriously, last night I was thinking about hunger, which I pictured starting in my stomach (hear me out), so then I was thinking how far removed my brain was from my stomach, and how much more complex. So why did I think my stomach could control my brain?

Somehow that showed me how powerful the brain is. My conscious decision to fast was separate, in my head, and far more powerful than my whiny stomach. I wish I could explain it better, but it’s similar to what the BOB author talked about – my hunger just seemed far away, and I could ignore it if I wanted to. I don’t mean I didn’t feel hungry, it just didn’t have the power to bother me.

Now to resolve – whole foods, no snacking, go about my life in peace. Is it possible?
    Serving black coffee w/ cream till ~ 1 p.m. in the cave. xx

You go girl!

Good work Jade!!! If I push the analogy, you’re having a ‘calmly looking at the horizon on a still day at sea’. So not a lot of swaying needed. Conserve your energy for the right-in-your-face-storm-wind-and-tempest when you’ll need to not only sway but do the demented dance (kind of like Capt. Dan from the Forrest Gump movie, but possibly minus the cussing).

I’m enjoying a calm day too after some tempest but my approach now is to let go all thoughts (read: obsessing) around weight loss/food/healthiness and think of something else instead. I need to stop obsessing, it is doing my head in. Oh, and not talking about it so much so I may be here a little less often for a while – I’m off to the cave you so recently vacated jade, but definitely not leaving the Island! Spring xx

Welcome to the cave, Spring! I’ve been one foot in, one foot out for a while, but it’s time for me to stop all my yammering. So off I go on my mission of avoidance, featuring:
    1. Sugar, simple carbs, processed foods
    2. Snacking
    3. Breakfast (any hour lol)
    4. Anxiety about hunger, when it’s just a thing that happens far away from my brain.

I shall report back when my mission is accomplished and/or I drop these last few lbs. jade xxx

Good Luck Jade and Spring…and everyone else.

I was ill in bed with a nasty virus for 2 days last week and that led to me scoffing some of the Christmas stash in my misery! It was silly but there we are….and no, it didn’t make me feel better either.

Back to work and this is the week that I have to eat 2 Christmas Dinners(there is no alternative) and a meal out with my friends, so I am aiming for being mindful of what I am eating and enjoying it. I am a bit worried that I will go mad.

I’ll let you know how it went next weekend.

Annette, I’m sorry to hear you haven’t been well. there are always so many bugs around this time of year. I am currently having raw garlic each day…. I have noticed most people are giving me a wide berth (I’ll blame it on the garlic) but totally understand that fed up with feeling ill feeling. I do hope you manage to have a nice time with your friends. Just remember you are at a restaurant, you don’t have limitless supplies, so why not have the opportunity to have what you fancy? would that work for you? then back on your whole food plan afterwards. Or you could compromise, I actually find there is usually a healthy choice on the menus these days.

Slightly contradicting myself, I went out with my husband for a meal/lunch (we had a weekend of partying and more alcohol than I would usually have – four glasses of wine… nice wine, but that’s a lot for me) with my hubby yesterday and I thought I would enjoy myself, had a vegetarian main, very nice, lots of bread with it, which I had, and thought I would enjoy. Then hubby insisted on dessert – which actually I wasn’t fussed about but then thought, why not? I won’t binge, I should enjoy small amounts. They brought out a huge Creme Bulee and it was lovely but the most bizarre thing was, despite feeling stuffed, but the time we got home I wanted more food and awoke this morning, not being hungry but just wanting food, sweet stuff, so had chocolate protein bars x2 (!!) and anything else I could get my hands on. It’s odd isn’t it? I thought I would have felt satisfied, I almost made myself have dessert and hubby was insistent too, I don’t know if some deeper level it was psychological (i.e I’ve blown it now…) but it didn’t feel that way. I think I I feel too full, then it stretches my stomach, affects my blood glucose and I just want more….or maybe it just comes back too it was too early in the day… there were lots of hours left (it was lunch). This again brings me back to fasting diet… you genuinely feel hungry, that rumbling sensation that is satiated by wholesome foods and it also, for me allows me to feel really satisfied, i.e, hungry, eat lovely meal, feel hunger dissipate, blood glucose stable.

Anyway, onwards and upwards, it’s only 08.10 here and I have had 900 kcal! This might be why breakfast doesn’t work for me… I just eat too much! I know if a few hours time I will just want more so trying to plan ahead.

Annette you don’t have to go mad, you do have to have a lovely time, remember part of that is enjoying your food and enjoying being with your friends. Don’t feel deprived… you can’t go “too mad” for a binger in a restaurant… Choose foods that you really fancy (If you read my previous paragraphs i think I chose foods, that I didn’t really fancy, I chose something that was indulgent and I thought I ought to have it.. My advice to myself would be, choose something you really want, then eat it slowly, savour every bite and think how wonderful it is to be with friends/work colleagues in a nice environment, don’t let the dinner be all about the food if that makes sense!!!). You have decided on a way of eating for life, a way of eating for life includes the odd day being ill and having too much, going to a party and not eating virtuously, but Annette you have discovered something that works for you most of the time… you can just go straight back on it afterwards – by afterwards I mean the next meal!

I hope you feel better… Good luck to all. Jade you will drop those pounds, just keep trying..never give up (I am full of the corny but effective cliches this morning!). Come spring you were so right to identify that we see yourself as states… me too! I crave rules, and I have heard this is a common theme with bingers, although preplanning is good accepting that not every day is the same. I don’t know about you but when I have that “I can’t do this Ilove food and want to eat loads, having a rubbish day and premenstrual want cake, bread in vast quantities” i forget that’s a moment in time, I don’t feel like that every day, in that moment feelings are overwhelming, but they do go. They don’t go if I try and fight them… sometimes we will get it wrong but it’s always right to go back to treating ourselves with respect as soon as possible. I have said before, I have read that it isn’t that slim people don’t overeat sometimes, the difference is, they sometimes go straight back on to a healthier way of eating afterwards! Good luck all x

Hi Queen,
    Meal out now changed to a meal at one of the girls(restaurant overbooked), so my task is to take bread, someone else is doing starter, another main and another dessert. There will be a limitless supply of food on a table to pick at, but we’ll see how it goes.

I debated about a FD this morning and decided that this wasn’t the week to do it. Walked into a room with a tray of chocolate biscuits and Stollen ‘help yourself’, so I had a piece of Stollen, enjoyed it and had absolutely no desire for another…weird. I just left with a plum and a satsuma. Lunch was salad and a little quiche…and then I was given a chocolate orange and some cake….They know that I like chocolate and as a little thank you, they give me some, which is lovely. The plan is to share with the boys before the week is out and get rid of it!

Evening meal was avocado on toast along with some almonds. Meal at work and then one out tomorrow, Christmas Dinners on Wednesday and Friday….

I am very worried about what will happen over the festive season, which is the key. Goal number 1 is not to put on 10 lb this year like last year and the year before. On the positive, I am in a much better place this time and do feel much more in control especially with the sugar addiction no longer taking the starring role.

I bought a skirt a couple of years ago(huge bargain for great quality in a charity shop) and have never been able to wear it as I couldn’t do it up and had a muffin top when I tried it on…until this weekend.It fits! No muffin top either and I might just wear it tomorrow to celebrate. I am certain that less sugar in my diet has made this possible.

Onwards and downwards fast friends.

Hi all, just stopping by for a quick cup of tea πŸ™‚ Things are OK here, though the US news lately is appalling.

Annette, so glad you’re feeling better. Big congrats on the skirt – wear it with pride πŸ™‚ You are stronger than the holidays this year. Your control seems almost philosophical lately – it is amusing (if that’s the right word) to me, to catch myself behaving normally without really planning it all out mentally first.

So Queen, that happened to you, too, right – you didn’t really want the creme brulee. It was your HEAD this time that said go ahead and have it, not your instinct. Your instincts are changing, just keep at it and trust yourself.

Here’s to healthy holidays, focus on love not food. xx

Hi Jade,
    The news is very sad in the US. Not great in the UK either.

I have a wardrobe now of either skirts or tops that don’t ‘go’with each other, as the correct other half no longer fits and has been dispatched to charity. I had a big ‘try on’ and came to the conclusion that I shall have to make a list of what I need in order to wear the other half!

I had taken to wearing more dresses as it solves the needing a top and bottom half that work together, but there is a small growing pile of that which is becoming ‘a bit loose/too big) but I like and don’t want to part with. So that is a task for next week, to get it out the house an off to the charity shop.

I hope that I am stronger this year. My thoughts are certainly very different , with a feeling of control and choice, rather than hopeless/no control. I shall have to eat all that soup next week as I need the space in the freezer!

Habits do take time to change, but I think that they key to that is to start with attitude. How wonderful, Jade, for you to behave in way that you haven’t had to plan to make good choices. It is liberating though, isn’t it?

For me, the sugar avoidance(no puddings and the occasional biscuit or cake) and none in my tea, plus more wholefoods, have made the world of difference to how I feel. There is a feeling that sugary stuff is a treat that we deserve which will make us feel better, but I have come to the conclusion that the opposite is true.

I no longer eat until I am stuffed because I hate feeling so full that I want to lie down and rub my tummy, so i don’t. I had to think about whether I was hungry/angry/lonely/tired all the time in the presence of food, which has been helpful to change not only what I eat, but how much.

Christmas is just one day. I think that the pressures to have the house stuffed to the rafters with all this food, that then all must be eaten rather obscene. With that in mind I am shopping differently this year and trying hard to avoid the hype.

Youngest son has announced that he has given up alcohol and would like to have ‘healthy’ drinks, which seems to mean low sugar. It is rather challenging to find that combination, so I shall be trying things out next week too. But he does look great a stone less, so I will do my best to support and encourage him.

Annette, I had to drop in to say I’ve been thinking about you this week, hoping your holiday celebrations went well and that you enjoyed them thoroughly!

I’ve had to find a way to stop obsessing, so in addition to the whole-foods focus (kicking sugar, with the occasional lapse), I’ve tossed the scales and MFP. Pretty soon it’ll just be me, the dogs, and my new 10-lb (!!) sack of lentils here in the house. But eating for a number is exhausting and joyless. I feel that I’m eating less, and best of all I’m not absorbed by food choices and planning. I’m still 5:2ing, just trying not to be a lunatic about it.

Back to my sojourn – I hope all my lovely wonderful fast friends are healthy and happy, wherever you are in this journey. jade xx

Hi Jade,
    I wondered how you were getting on. I agree with you about the scales/MFP and eating for a number is joyless. Although, I was just pondering whether I would stand on them to see what the damage was for this week so far………..

Weird things have happened this week. One day went into find a table groaning with chocolates and Stollen, so I decided to try a piece of Stollen(has marzipan in the middle) which was lovely but I didn’t want anymore(!!!!) and I left with a satsuma.
    Meal at a friends was Salmon(I love fish) and the various accompaniments, which was lovely and a dessert that was served for each of us. I enjoyed it along with the 3 glasses of wine. The first Christmas dinner was lovely but I found that the Christmas pudding was very disappointing(I used to love it) and thought that I might not bother in the future(!!!). I had a mince pie yesterday(another favourite) which was completely underwhelming too and I might not bother again(!!!).

I am baffled that sweet things are just not tasting sweet and scrumptious to me anymore. I think that this is week 3 of no sugar in my tea and I haven’t cheated at all. I wish that I had done this years ago, it would have stopped my craving/sugar addiction a long time ago and meant that I was slimmer for longer too. Ho hum.

One more Christmas Dinner today until the big day.

I left work yesterday with x2 boxes of chocolates(80g sugar/pack and 110g sugar/pack) and 1 box of marshmallows(69.4g sugar per 100g – pack is 180g). I have just remembered another 2 boxes of chocolates that add up to 500g/sugar as well! That works out to be 207 teaspoons of sugar in total!!!As the daily amount is supposed to be 6 tsp each per day..

I doubt there is damage, depending on your definition πŸ™‚ I’m much happier going by how I feel. I know when I’ve had a bit too much. The scale will tell me either I got away with it or I didn’t. Well, pfft, neither message is helpful. Better that I aim for mindfulness, perhaps “extra mindful” after a splurge. What I wanted all along, I’m feeling now – a detachment from the lunacy while I’m still having a fine time.

Case in point, I was out on the town last night. Several cocktails and yummy hors d’oeuvres later, I’m a bit woozy this morning. An urge for carbs (thank you, alcohol) was quieted by coffee, cream, and a little reflection on just what was going on with that. I’m back in the cave now, concocting a magic brew with my lifetime supply of lentils πŸ™‚

I wonder why I didn’t do this ages ago, too – it’s not as though I hadn’t heard sugar was bad. But no one ever explained it, by example, who seemed so much like me in this weird, outwardly-trivial struggle. I do need fairly constant advice because I am very stubborn πŸ™‚

Time for a bit of Christmas shopping. Good tidings and hugs to all my fast friends. jade xx

I am stubborn too Jade, which is why it has taken me so long to stop sugar in my tea. I only did it because Lustig told me it was making me binge…and he’s right. Last Christmas Dinner of the week and I enjoyed it, but looking forward to cooking lots of new meals with plenty of wholefoods next week, now that i am on holiday until January.

I think that alcohol is a trigger for the sweet stuff as well. Not that I drink much or very often, but it certainly seems to make me want sugar. Some of those chocolates are going to be re-gifted as well.

I will be batch cooking lots of good things and freezing them, to make life a bit easier in January. I will have a weigh/measure over the weekend to see what the damage is and give me starting point for the next fortnight until the big day.

Oh cocktails are a definite trigger for me, but I’m a social drinker, so usually just one night a week, except December! πŸ˜‰ At least I know what’s going on with my appetite, which helps keep a lid on things. I had to throw an apple, peanut butter, eggs, and turkey chili at it so far today! And lots of lemon water. Except…about to go out again. HAHA, I’ll try to behave.

Good luck at the scale!

Good morning fast clubbers – haven’t looked at the forum for a couple of months and just whizzed through couple of pages -wow lots of new info! will digest this info carefully (along with a side order of nuts and a glass of prossecco)

Well the ‘damage’ wasn’t as bad as I feared, just 2 lbs on, BUT a smidgen more off the waist-whoop whoop!

Off out to lunch and then on to a gig.

…and I’ll bet those “2 lbs” are not actually added fat! A smidge off the waist is fabulous – go you. Enjoy your new-found freedom! I’m right behind you πŸ™‚

And HEY THERE Fizzy!! Cheers to you with your prosecco (delicious stuff) please send a bottle round to the cave. How’ve you been? If we could get a party started here I might dress up and bring out the crudites. xx

Hi jade I have well and truly crashed and flung myself off the wagon – hey ho never mind there’s always next week….ha ha! I have this compulsion to look at this forum now and again and maybe will return – it’s all gone rather serious so thought would lighten the mood with the nuts and vino adage…

Lovely to see you back Fizzy, even if just for a short visit! Sometimes the problem is that the wagon is just too damned small – prosecco & nuts sound perfect right now, even though it’s 10:15 in the morning and I’m at my desk working… πŸ™‚

Jade and Annette you’re both going great guns, I’m sure you’ll blitz the holidays. I’m not really dwelling in the cave Jade, as life is fully crazy silly season and there are FAR too many opportunities for piggery. Dinner out 4 nights in a row and 2 work lunches this week. Still, there’s no one shoving food in my mouth but me and no one is forcing me to drink an extra glass of vino or two, so I guess the responsibility lies with…me??! I tried a FD yesterday but had forgotten the lunch so didn’t do so well so I think I’ll just aim for a level or 2 down from ‘complete loss of control’ and call it a win. Power to all you lovely ladies, Spring xx

Aw Spring, the cave, or wagon, or wherever we are is rather one-size-fits-all. I am counting anything short of ass up in the tequila a victory. I’ve skipped a few breakfasts, but otherwise …I’ll join you at the “not quite complete loss of control” table.

Fizzy I do believe I got run over by your wagon over the weekend – mercy, the tequila, the chocolate…. damn that stuff is good. Phew I do love a party, but lately there’s no time to “atone” for one before another begins. Ah well! Great guns indeed – and getting greater πŸ™‚

I did finally make a home-cooked meal tonight, some actual veggies, no alcohol, right pin a medal on me now. Maybe I can get to bed before those Cadbury bars in the cupboard (meant for gifts HA) ambush me. Hugs to all! jade xx

Well done Jade and Annette. I am trying too with the whole foods thing but I’m the only person I have ever come across and probably in the world who can overeat on plain porridge! I just like food. Too much.

Fizzy Nice to see you back. remember this is a lifestyle so it’s long term figuring this out. Overeating must be an issue formats of the country… and considering every magazine and newspaper has a diet on the front of it makes me think lots of people are looking for resolution!

Comespring, remember there is always me here struggling too πŸ™‚

Question for all, I get so hungry in the evening…

It takes more willpower to avoid overeating during the day, and in the evening I am always fine wit whatever I have and rarely overeat, but my body seems to go against my brain. I get so hungry at night (apparently my nan was the same and used to have crackers before bed and would get up and have weetabix in the night (she was slim and not a binger!!).

last night I had achieved my TDEE for the day, but was starving before bed so came down stair and had a small seeded baguette as I couldn’t sleep- so went over my tdee! I get so hungry at night it’s frustrating. I need about 800 kcal before bed or I am starving. Last night I had had butternut squash (300kcals worth approx, so a lot!!!) with onion, red cabbage, an avocado, kale and a full fat greek yogurt with an apple for dessert- and was still hungry!! I had also had lunch and dark chocolate (quite a lot of dark chocolate!) in the afternoon!

So I wasn’t even starving but my hunger at night was/ is frustrating. I have asked before, but what are your most filling foods? I have been trying to have lots of whoegrains, complex carbs, but I’m still hungry. I appreciate I probably need to eat less during the day and more at night… I had thought of introducing more protein in the evening, but used to find more carbs helped me sleep… but that seems to have changed recently. I am nervous about allowing myself to just be hungry at night because tiredness increases my propensity to binge. It’s just annoying as yesterday I had no urge to binge, and had been quite sensible (probably had too much chocolate but it was within my TDEE).

Why can’t the body be consistent!

Comespring, I think they key to all of this (note to self, listen!) is just get back on it as soon as you can. I know what also works for me is to try and get into the zone, focus on being selfish with diet (perhaps it’s the narcissistic part of me) but I just imagine myself as Gisele πŸ˜‰ and focus on how great I will look (which is a lie but I like to con myself) and then actually I start feeling great and it’s that feeling great feeling, that isn’t about denying anything it’s about wanting to feel the best I can – energetic, HAPPY!, enthusiastic and confident. I also feel it’s my decision when I eat… not the lizard brain.. I choose if I want to eat a great big slice of cheese cake and enjoy it… I don’t just stuff it because it’s a carb, it’s there and I want to cheer up. It’s a wonderful feeling. I can have what I want, but it doesn’t overwhelm me when I’m feeling great. I can also say no when I have had enough, despite enjoying it. That’s a good day and wonderful place to be.

However, for me, no matter what there will always be hose times when I feel really flat and food tastes nicer than other times, and all that bread, cake, dark chocolate chocolate, I have allowed myself in normal portions like a normal person, for weeks, suddenly I just want quantity and there is a huge dopamine/euphoric feeling from food that I don’t get or need at other times. At those times I want it all and there is no stop button. That’s something I think I have to be prepared for for the rest of my life because I remember being like that as a child… even when I haven’t been so fussed by food, and my natural taste preferences are for nutritious foods..

Digressing again, Comespring, I am so with you… my husband said we shall have pizza for tea, I’m not banning anything… but now can I get pizza off my brain???!! nope, it’s only still the am here.

An interesting side line, I am always researching, but I noticed there was recent information about a binge eating SNP – gene (I don’t really understand it but I’ll talk about it anyway). I checked my DNA results and I have that gene mutation (I’ll call it a mutation)… so maybe it’s more than just a mental thing. I don’t think this absolves responsibility but it’s about working with what you have got and finding what works for you… I’m stating the obvious and being very repetitive… but I think not feeling guilty about it is key to helping ourselves don’t you think?

Also what is key for me and hence me being on this board, the reason I have ever maintained my weight by was having fasting days- that worked for me. i have come to hate the insomnia though and lack the discipline at the moment. There is hope though!
    Good luck to all. Sorry for the vent. Fantastic results

Hi Queen – ah I love your vents. Very interesting re the “binge gene” – I saw something about testing people see what spiked their insulin, and it seems everyone is different. And probably different on different days, to boot. It truly is science, nothing to feel guilty about.

And lest I get exiled to Normal Island, please all, I still have days when I can’t get enough, whether whole grain orgy or whatever. I need to sway, lol Spring — to be smart enough to know when I should just have the effing chocolate instead of shoving in a mountain of grapes, nuts, etc. But other days I feel in control.

I think that’s the key, to milk control for all it’s worth when it’s there. Then when I’m ass up in the tequila or Cadbury’s, I hope it evens out. Because ass-up days happen, and when I have the wisdom to recognize one as it’s coming, THEN I think I’ll have reached my pinnacle of success. I mean, I hear it said that [insert fave dessert] will lose its appeal, but I cozied up to a Cadbury Fruit & Nut bar Sunday (first one in many months) and it was every bit the religious experience it has always been.

But choosing whole-food options when possible is helping, i.e. I don’t have a raging sugar tear every night. Hey, you know lentils really are sneaky little bastards, I snuck them into shepherd’s pie last night and hubs (who claims to dislike them) never knew. That was a kick-ass pie, very filling.

All right, enough jabber from me, off I go to bake something, which I hope to immediately post off to family. xxx

Hello Everyone!
    I am struggling to get back into the groove and think that chocolate is my personal gateway drug to just about anything. The siren call is very much there in the background and if I allow it to be heard, will lead me off into madness. Sugar is my drug of choice and there have been some serious lapses fast friends.

I met a friend for lunch which was lovely but ended up as a main/pudding and a beer. We ate a light meal later, not because we were hungry, but were off out to a gig and couldn’t eat later. Breakfast was paid for and I ate more than I should have and then more that I shouldn’t have one my way home. Somehow a bag of chocolate leaped into my hand and within a few moments they were gone(61.8g sugar!!!!)They were not worth it either. Ho hum.

On the basis that my biochemistry has lead me astray, I am back on the wholewheat pasta and home cooked meals, avoiding sugar where I can. I am a happier/calmer person with less of the white stuff in my diet. Having stopped sugar completely in my tea, has saved me another 21 tsp of the white stuff a week.

The plan is to stay on the path of sanity up to the big day, eat what I like on those 2 days and then get pack on the path again. I am not making dozens of mince pies this year and I might just buy a box instead, on the basis of when they are gone they are gone. But I can’t get past the 22g(5.5 tsp) sugar per pie!!!

Hi lovely islanders, I saw this link on another thread, it’s science but very readable re how the GI system handles various foods: http://nautil.us/issue/31/stress/what-your-microbiome-wants-for-dinner?utm_source=pocket&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=pockethits . Thought maybe others like me have a bit of time on their hands – school is out and I’m happier than my students if that’s possible.

LOL Annette, chocolate – yes – gateway drug for sure. But have to say it’s lovely to enjoy so many outings with friends. I’m having “now you see it, now you don’t” control lately. Tuesday I baked all afternoon, didn’t eat a thing, another “WTF I’m cured” moment. HA. Wednesday I baked again and ended up scarfing all the “mishaps” (very broadly defined) and almost ate the mixing bowls as well. I did feel a bit unwell afterward! Thank goodness the holiday baking is done. Show of hands: who has eaten a frozen blondie? [Dear freezer, please lock yourself.] But still, I see some progress in that it doesn’t happen every day. Full credit to the whole foods on that score.

So, another evening out tonight, and tomorrow…searching for control, I know I left it here somewhere! I wish I could attach some electronic thing to it, like those new tiles for phones and keys. I’ll shoot for the best food-wise. Drink-wise, well I’ll be having a bit of wine (hey, it’s grapes)! I am not going near a scale. E for effort will have to do.

Good luck all, hope you’re enjoying the season and holding your own – remember any damage done can be quickly undone. jade xxx

Hello Everyone,
    I have eaten out, been to parties, consumed x2 Christmas Dinners already and stood on the scales, which was my mistake. The scales claim that I have put on 4 lb, which was depressing until I tried on some clothes and got the tape measure out. I have a much loved summer shift dress that at the start of the year I couldn’t zip up at all, but have been able to do up for some weeks now…and still looks great. The famous pink shorts can be done up but are still a bit tight at the top(not yet fabulous), so a goal in progress for the new year.

I measure both my natural waist which is an inch and a half less and my real(around the belly button) waist which is 2 inches less from this time last year. What I can’t quantify are all those jumpers and tops that I have had for years that are simply too big all over(that were snug) and are off to charity.

Although I had hoped for a special number on the scales and I am disappointed not to have reached that goal, I should be pleased with my progress. Then I put on my old jeans, which are much too big and keep falling down…and remember the joy of fitting into them. I have come a long way.

I am making some sweets as Christmas gifts and I haven’t eaten them either. Result!

Lol I just wrote a brilliant πŸ™‚ post, hit the wrong key, and sent it into space. Maybe to the space station – I wonder what they would think.

Suffice to say, my victory at present is enjoying the holidays without the usual guilt. I’m not eating everything in sight, just trying to be mindful. Not exactly 5:2ing (and forget minding TDEE), but I’m skipping the so-so stuff I’d have scarfed before. Savoring the rest is way more fun, and at least breakfast can be skipped to help toe the line.

Annette, glad you’re enjoying the holidays! I love your attitude – the scale does not dictate how we look. And it shouldn’t dictate how we feel, though it does me (so I’m not getting on!). But your perspective is so helpful – thank you. We should always think kindly towards ourselves, whatever is going on. I’ve probably found a lb or two, but it doesn’t feel like a big problem – you know the feeling, might as well jump in the ocean because this baby is going DOWN.

Let’s all remember how far we’ve come even if we have a ways to go. Hope everyone on the Island is having a great day. xxx

Thanks Jade. Like you I am trying to be mindful of what I am eating, rather than scoffing the lot! I did miss breakfast this morning, but then was hungry all afternoon and ended up eating more than if I had eaten breakfast. Ho hum.

I have made a small pile of the food/snacks bought and have to stop myself from bowing to the pressure to get more…and more. I can see how and why I have managed to put on 10 lb every Christmas by looking at the sugar content in both sweet and savoury foods. It is going to be a challenge, but interesting to see how I cope.

I am going to get back to the 5:2 after the big day and combine that with more wholefoods and all cooking from scratch(batch cooking is the secret). I started the 5:2 in January 2013 with a weight of 11 stone 11 lb/BMI 30.5/struggling to fit into size 14 jeans..and was miserable. Before the festive onslaught I was 10 stone 2 lb/BMI 26/size 10 jeans. I know that 23lb less of me is great, but I am really thrilled that I have shrunk 4 inches off my waist(all that visceral fat gone), 4 inches off each thigh and 4 inches off my hips too.

I am going to try and find goods that weigh 23lb just to see how much less weight I am not lugging around on these short legs.

Annette, indeed that 23-lb loss is a fantastic achievement, along with the shrinking waist. It really helps to remember how strong we’ve been. We are stronger than the sugar that wants to hop in the tea, or (my big temptation lately) the ideas to bake wonderful things that may or may not (most likely the latter) leave the house. And in any event all will get tasted and sampled while cooking. Sometimes I feel as though I place myself right on the edge of a cliff just to test my balance πŸ™‚ Your idea to buy boxed pies instead of making them is genius – saves time, too!

We’re having a roast for Christmas dinner so it should stay relatively sane around the cave. The usual sides and desserts, of course, all of which is heaven for a sampler like me. I think I eat less, the more there is to sample. I found a lovely recipe for a gingerbread house, actually made of gingerbread that tastes good if the reviews are to be believed – thought I could bake the building materials then take to put together with the grandkids. Ha, we’ll see how that goes! They are all full of energy and thin as reeds so I hope they will help me eat it after we build it πŸ™‚ I tend to think that baked wreckage is calorie-free.

In the meantime, I’m readying the house for a little company, so I’d best get back to that. And it’s good exercise running up and down these stairs! Stay strong and we’ll have a nice start to the new year. xx

Viewing 50 posts - 1,501 through 1,550 (of 3,046 total)

You must be logged in to reply.