Hypothyroidism, thyrox intake time.

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Medical conditions and fasting
Hypothyroidism, thyrox intake time.

This topic contains 9 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  elizabethhelen 8 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• Hey all, I’ve recently been diagnosed with hypothyroidism, TSH 8.9 (MALE, 23). I’ve been advised by the doctor to start with 50mg, before breakfast. The only problem is, I work in the night and sleep in the day. Since my biological clock is reversed, I am not sure when would be the right time to take it. Any suggestions?

Take when your stomach will be empty for at least an hour. I take no e around 2 am, just because that is when I wake up, and if I don’t take it then, I will forget! So working nights, if you wake, say, around 5 pm, take it then, and don’t eat til 6. If you are fasting, it’s even easier.

Hi

I have has thyroid problems for years. I looked in the British National Formular

This is what it says – ADULT over 18 years, initially 50–100 micrograms once daily, preferably taken at least 30 minutes before breakfast, caffeine-containing liquids (e.g. coffee, tea), or other medication, adjusted in steps of 25–50 micrograms every 3–4 weeks according to response (usual maintenance dose 100–200 micrograms once daily); in cardiac disease, severe hypothyroidism, and patients over 50 years, initially 25 micrograms once daily, adjusted in steps of 25 micrograms every 4 weeks according to response (usual maintenance dose 50–200 micrograms once daily); CHILD under 18 years see BNF for Children (section 6.2.1)
    Congenital hypothyroidism and juvenile myxoedema, see BNF for Children (section 6.2.1)
    Hope this helps

I’ve changed my thyroid medication over the last year. ( Was diagnosed late 1980 /early 1990). Used to take all in the morning with my coffe 🙂 , but was recommended to try all at night. I experimented a bit, and found for me 40 % at night and 60 % in the morning works the best. Imporant to be taken on an empty stomack, one hour before food or caffeine, or two hours after….

Each body is unique, so I hope you will found what suits your body the best.
    Good luck !!

Why does it matter when you take the levothroxine, or if it is with food or coffee? I take mine with breakfast, though I often forget and then take it later in the day. I’ve been doing this for 16 years with no ill effects. No doctor has ever advised me otherwise.

I’ve been taking levothyrox for about 7 years now and the endocrinologist has told me that it stays in your system for about 10 days so forgetting a day or two isn’t a big deal. However, he’s always advised taking it begore breakfast and at least 30 minutes before any vitamin supplements

Hi. I am 48 female. I have had history of Thyroid malfunction from childhood, running in my mother side family, used to take Levothroxine for many years and then I had surgery to remove two third of the gland. I have been fine for the last 15 years without the medicine as my blood test shows every year.

My concern is that I can not lose weight with my fast 5:2 which I have started since June 2015. I have lost a little bit of size around my waist line but I was hoping to drop a size in total.

My Height is 164cm
    My current Weight is 60.5kg

Does anyone have any experience and give me any idea?

Thanks

Hi Ellitta
    I’m curious, as 60kg is a pretty normal healthy weight for 164cm. If you are concerned about waist size, perhaps you now need to add tummy muscle exercises to tone up that part? Cheers PVE

Hi MAN. The key word is EMPTY STOMACH and without any calcium products or supplements. It doesn’t have to be before breakfast and if you do forget a dose just make sure you take it even if it’s the next day with the next dose. Good idea to put them in a daily pill dispenser as its so easy to forget a day and some people do notice a difference if they do. I’ve had hypothyroidism for 19 years and I’m a pharmacist.

Morning all. New to this so bear with me if I’ve chosen the wrong subject. Been using 5:2 diet for 5 weeks now. I have N under active thyroid, 150 thyroxin per day. I have lost just under 2 pounds in this time is this to be expected ? Trying not to feel disheartened weight loss on every other diet has been incredibly slow. Not thinking of giving up but just wondered if this was what I should be expecting. Thanks

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply.