How do you motivate yourself?

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
How do you motivate yourself?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Minka 7 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Hello! I am really new to fasting (started a week and a half ago), and was wondering how other people keep motivated. Do you keep a picture of yourself at your heaviest? Look at celebrities? Imagine yourself being happy, fit, and healthy?
    I don’t think I’ve found real motivation yet, but that hasn’t stopped me from losing 10 lbs in recent months (140-130). WELLLL, on the rare occasion when I go out for a 3- mile jog, I think back at all those fandom shirts that say “run like you’re late for tea with Tom Hiddleston” and then I turn into Olympic gold material hehehe.

Hi Vulcan,
    My strategy has been to make 5:2 an easy and sustainable part of life, rather than something that needs continual motivation.
    When I began I could accept it was good for my general health, and good for weight loss. It is much easier and more sustainable than other fating regimes: two light eating days a week. No need to motivate myself except, if I am very hungry on a fast day, I comfort myself with what delicious breakfast I will eat in the morning.

Starting to get the results that you are looking for will help. My husband is fasting with me and that certainly helps with motivation.

Vulcan Commander,

What is your goal? If you want to lose weight quickly, you will have to be smart with your TDEE on non fast days (NFD). Start with your TDEE for your goal weight, not current weight. You have to make staying under that a habit. Then, you have to only ingest a fourth of your TDEE on your two FDs.

If you are fine about losing the weight over a long period of time, then start by fasting at/or under 500 cals, 2 days a week. It is easier than 1/4 calories of your TDEE. Your weight loss will take longer. It will be way more comfortable as you learn about the foods that will be beneficial to you in your journey.

Try to read the threads for newbies, especially by simcoeluv. He has great links to resources and a pragmatic focus for weight loss. Exercise doesn’t really help. Maybe a little. It takes a lot of exercise to make a difference. I have found it does reduce appetite if done moderately. Walking.

In the end, it really is about calories in and calories out. The thing is, those numbers are different for each of us and no calculator will be able to tell us what *is* the number for each of us, as individuals.

High carb, processed carb foods seem to increase appetite for most people. So avoid processed carbs, white starches such as bread, rice, potatoes, as often as you can. As for the rest, it’s just your motivation to stay on the plan. 5:2 works for everyone who does it. You just have to do it.

But, again, in the end, it just depends on your goals. If you don’t have much to lose and you are pretty active, you will be able to adjust from 2 days a week to 1 day a week (for maintaining) pretty quickly.

The beauty of this diet, or way of eating/life, or life plan, is that it is extremely flexible and you can mold it to suit your needs.

Love your name, btw. Live long and prosper! \\//

Hello 🙂

I agree with Northern Dawn – nothing new there, haha. I do alternate fasting, so day 1 fast – day 2 non fast – day 3 fast and so on. I just have taken it that this is the way it is. You will find after awhile that you will get fuller easier when eating and that your hunger on fast days will start later. Well, that’s what I have found, lol.

I visualise the scales going down a kilo. So this week I am visualising seeing 73 something on the scale. It may not happen, as a kilo is a lot, but that’s what I do. And I think about how exciting it will be to see it. I also visualise if I can get to 73 how excited I will be to see 72 something next week. I also visualise how exciting it will be in October if I can get under 70 by my birthday (I’ve had this goal for awhile) and how exciting it will be at Christmas if I can get under 65. Although am aiming for 63 my healthy weight range 🙂 I have my goals as hopefully achievable, as fasting is a mental game and if you make your goals unobtainable then you will begin to feel defeated.

I also come on here a lot and read 🙂 It helps to see others who are successful and keep the mantra up that you can do it!

I’m thinking about what Ifast2 wrote, and wondering if I really would stay motivated if it wasn’t that I am losing weight steadily. Success is a great motivator, and all those new clothes in smaller sizes are just great fun!

I think back to what got me started on a diet (other than my doctor telling me to lose weight). The zipper on my motorcycle pants broke so I tried to use an old pair of winter pants I had in the closet. I couldn’t get the zipper up or even get the top button anywhere near closed. That started my diet about 3 years ago. I’m doing 5:2 as maintenance now because I never want to be in that position again.

Another thing I did was throw away and donate all my “Fat” clothes. I can’t gain weight now because I’m too cheap to buy new ones.

Best of luck with finding your motivation and fasting goals.

Bronx

Hi Vulcan,

What originally motivated me to start 5:2 is that there are three people I know personally who have been practicing 5:2 for a few years now and every time I see these over 50s friends (I’m over 50 too!) they look younger and healthier. Because I witnessed these long term transformations, I started out with great faith in the program. Reading the success of others in these threads continues to strengthen that faith further.

Like Bronx, Cinque and ifast, I am also motivated by trying on clothes in my closet that were previously too small. For me, standing in front of the mirror wearing any of these outfits is far more motivating than looking any celebrity or past photos of me when I was bigger. This is because I see myself as looking quite good, which always is a surprise since I haven’t seen myself in this light for years!

Lastly, how I feel is a big motivator, since I feel really good when in ‘the zone’ as it’s called! This ‘zone’ is a wonderful feeling that makes some of the more difficult fasts, worth sticking with them, worth following through on my commitment!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply.