Holding Fast – the December 2018 Monthly Challenge

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Holding Fast – the December 2018 Monthly Challenge

This topic contains 697 replies, has 50 voices, and was last updated by  Borealis 5 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 301 through 350 (of 698 total)

• Day 11, Emden Germany, NFD

Day 10 NFD
    Day 9 unplanned FD

@dingping you get used to not being in sync with others, we had it, when we both were working in hospital.

@dingping and @debster251 I never heard of Mog the Cat, he’s not very famous in Germany or the Netherlands. I read other books by Judith Kerr though, but they were in English.

@annemarilyn for me it’s better to have someone to think of when fasting, glad to have @dingping around on Saturday’s, can’t let her down!

@basyjames glad your DH is back home again, is he able to walk around? Go for the first prize, you know how to do it!

@metatauta nice to hear from you, you’re doing really well!

@anna6 congratulations on the safe arrival of Eve Marie Ann!

@kaywesterman hope your mother recovers from the UTI, they can be so painful.

@daffodil2010 will be your DH be home in time for Christmas?

Have a nice day everyone!

Day 11 – Iceland – FD (2nd of B2B2B)

It felt good to fast yesterday after an EFS-weekend and I hope to manage another good fast today. Just bought a new holiday dress for the first time in … 5 years, so yes @betsylee I had the same strategy, have been refusing to buy clothes for a long time in the hope that they would quickly become too large 😊 Now I really enjoy buying new clothes as it is easier to find something that fits, but I am trying to control myself and wait until I have reached my goal.
    @anna6 – congratulations on your new granddaughter💐

Pocket list day 11 – Together we are STRONGER
    @gretta
    @daffodil2010
    @borealis

Day 11 – Ireland – FD (second day of B2B)

Yesterday’s fast day went well and I woke up to a new low so I’m feeling inspired to try my first ever B2B so today will be a FD. I’m so happy that my choices are now making a difference.. I think this might be a new low since I started way back in 2017 but I don’t really keep track…
    I have two big 🎄 meals tomorrow so preparing myself for the scales to tip back up in the wrong direction…
    Generally feeling much better in terms of tiredness too (thanks to a new multivitamin and maybe, just maybe, eating the right foods) and am looking forward to the sleep study😴 scheduled for next year…
    @daffodil2010 don’t stress too much – I’m in the big corporate world too – and mistakes happen … we are all human. I’m sure things will be fine 👍

Wishing everyone all the best for today
    Pocket list for tiday:
    @gretta
    @daffodil2010
    @borealis
    @jaifaim

Onward and downward ⏬

Day 11, London, UK, FD,

Yesterdays’ CD went well, even though I forgot to check-in!!! However ……………………………

I’m feeling a bit down on myself at the moment, because as a fully grown adult woman, I seem to be unable to control myself around certain foods. Yes, the floodgates open once refined carbs make an appearance, but I MUST have some self-control??? Mustn’t I?????

@michelinme, @borealis, @daffodil2010 & @debster251 we’re sharing the same naughty step at the moment!!! I would normally say I’m not going to be too harsh on myself, practice a bit of self-love and get back to it, but in all honesty, enough is enough, this is a WOL and binging EFS weekends will NOT form part of this WOL for me!!!! So I AM beating myself up about the poor weekend choices, this weeks’ food is planned, NOTHING will derail me and my successes will NOT be rewarded with the refined carbs that have given me 10mins pleasure followed by 3 days’ bloating, sleeplessness, headaches and anxiety, not to mention guilt & self-disgust …………. Enough!!!! Sorry for the rant, I’ll be nicer to myself once I’ve got a blooming grip!!!!!

Many congratulations @anna6, fantastic news, it’s cheered me up no end!!!!!

Good to hear from you @metatauta, our journeys are very similar although I started 3lbs heavier at 194 in Nov ’16, after dispatching 40lbs I’ve still got another 7-10lbs to go, maybe, the wrinkles will determine the STOP point!!!!

I’m still dreading Xmas and the pitfalls it will bring. I’ll aim for control, but it’s not something I have a lot of!!!! I think I’ll print a holiday calendar of the 2 weeks I’m away from work, I’ll stick it to the fridge and mark the 3 days I’m allowing as Anything-Goes rather than EFS days, the remainder will be as ‘usual’ a combination of FDs, NFDs, OMADs and CDs ……………………simple!!! I’ll be stealing this mantra from @at too, I won’t go so far as to tattoo it on my forehead, but a printed card in my pocket might help…………………………

“If I quit now, I will soon be back to where I started. And when I started, I was desperately wishing to be where I am now”

Stay strong everyone!!!

Day 11, Melb. Aust, NFD

Day started well, but hasn’t finished that way. Well, kind-of. I’ve had a hankering for some pork crackling, so bought some cooked roast pork at the supermarket this afternoon. Yum, yum! Two slices of pork with crackling enjoyed. Not really so good. But…. then I phoned a friend and took the rest of the roast over to her and her husband. She’ll freeze the rest, and they’ll gradually enjoy it, but even better, it’s out of my house and my hankering has been satisfied, hopefully without too much damage. Followed it with a tub of Magnum ice-cream though, so not so good. However, FD tomorrow, so all will be well.

I’m still trying to get my head around some of the abbreviations people use. @borealis and @flourbaby both mentioned an EFS-weekend. Could someone explain to me what it is???? As an ESL teacher, EFS means English for Further Studies, but that has to be wrong :). Also, @beedoo, please explain what an OMAD is, I’m confused. The last one – I understand CD is controlled day(?), but about how many calories is that usually considered to be?

@flourbaby, I understand the frustrations. As well as being kind to yourself, try distraction – reward yourself with something you really like to do (that isn’t eating!), preferably something you have to really concentrate on.

@borealis, after saying no buying new clothes, I weakened and bought myself 2 new tops. They fit now, and I’ll wear them for summer. I hope by next summer they will be way too big, but I can enjoy them for a few months at least. They weren’t expensive. Won’t be buying new underwear, though.

@michelinme, noted your comment re pencil and paper. I’ve been wondering how people remember all the comments so they can respond, and I’ve been resorting to pen and post-it notes, but had wondered if there was another easier way. Guess not (?).

Day 11 USA (Illinois) NFD

Enjoyed our Holiday Party last night with plenty of lovely red wine and appetizer buffet. Giving my pint blood donation today – I think they said last time that today would make my 15th gallon with this blood bank.Yeah for me! They usually have some prize at each gallon. (nothing big, t-shirt, tote bag, etc.)

@betsylee — I also wondered about EFS, but I do know OMAD is “One Meal A Day” as a form of IF (Intermittent Fasting, what we do).

Onward and downward.

Hi. EFS is ‘epic face stuffing’ ! Which we have all been a bit prone to from time to time. H

Day 11 Melb Aust, NFD second post

Thanks @emma Taylor – Whoa! EFS I would never have guessed as “epic face stuffing”. Very descriptive, but not very kind to one’s self for those who use it!

And @songbirdme, thanks also for explaining OMAD. I have been doing that on FDs, but is it used if you go well over the calorie amount but still only have the one meal? I can imagine that ketosis might start to come into play in that case???

Day 11 UK FD (2nd day of B2B)

Yesterday’s FD was good enough at OMAD 800 calories plus an apple. Most importantly, I stayed well away from carbs & sugar and had lots of vegetables, weighed food & made mindful choices. Lovely supper of leftover baked sweet potato with sprouts, cauliflower, vegan mince and a little cheese followed by yogurt with banana and cacao. It’s 1.30pm and I’ve not even thought of food so I’m delighted to join @boreailis @jaifaim @daffodil2010 – stronger together :)I’d forgotten how much easier B2Bs are bc the first FD has set up the second

I’ve enjoyed better quality of sleep this last two nights after taking 500mg niacinamin with supper – thank you @dingping! I couldn’t have imagined magnesium oil could be bettered, but they work wonderfully well together… I can feel a good sense of wellness building up underneath current health issues.

I forgot I’d be tired after being out 2 days running so yesterday was spent thinking i;d get stuff done in a bit and simply not doing it, whjile not understanding why & not really resting. I need to remember my energy is still down post-pneumonia & I’m breathless with current virus. While my body’s working hard for the basics (eg breathing) I’m going to get more tired & have less capacity than usual! Planning, pacing and resting are key, as are making sure I get good balance of home, health, projects, and things that feed me. SO instead of carrying a constant sense of what’s not yet done, I can move to happier, better paced and more healthily productive days 🙂

@dykask thank you so much for your exercise tips, wonderfully encouraging
    @gretta it’s great to prepare for FDs, and wonderful to say goodbye to bloat 🙂
    @matpi 11pm finish is pretty late! Great to hear about your wall push-ups
    @daffodil2010 hope today’s meetings/feedback have gone well, great job in mindful learning 🙂
    @snowflake yes, having company on FD is just wonderful
    @borealis yay for your new dress!
    @jaifaim good luck with your first b2b today
    @flourbaby thanks for helpful recap on post-carb feelings…. i’m going to print it out and put it on my fridge! 40lbs lost is an epic achievement, well done. It’s so easy to lose sight of where we’ve come from and focus on the bit that lies ahead, thanks for that reminder. Writing out Christmas days and planning is a great idea which I will also copy – thanks!
    @betsylee congratulations on finding an effective way to enjoy your pork! EFS is Epic Face Stuffing! OMAD – One Meal a Day, CD is mindful eating to somethign that’s comfortably under our TDEE, eg 1000 or 1200 calories, depending on individual requirements… The wonderful @rainbowsmile put together a wonderful list, which I’ll post separately below

Pocket list Day 11
    @gretta
    @daffodil2010
    @borealis
    @jaifaim
    @flourbaby
    @michelinme

“Hold fast to that which is good…support the weak, help the afflicted…”

Here’s @rainbowsmile wonderful list – hope you are OK M xx

Memory Jogger

IF Intermittent Fasting
    WOL Way of Life

FD Fast Day (500 cals)
    MFD Modified Fast Day (800 cals)
    WFD Water Fast Day (Water only)
    CFD Controlled Fast Day (1200 cals)
    NFD Non Fast Day

5:2 5 days NFD:2 days IF
    ADF Alternate Day Fast, FD, NFD
    16:8 16 hours fast 8 hours non fast
    B2B Back 2 Back (days of FD or WFD)

DD, DS Darling Daughter,Son
    OH, Other Half
    LOL Laughing Out Loud

Keto, way of eating that generates Ketones
    LC, Low Carb way of eating
    LCHF, Low Carb High Fat way of eating
    TDEE: Total Daily Energy Expenditure

Day 11 Minnesota, USA FD
    Day 10 NFD

Quick check in to add myself to the pocket list and wish everyone good luck today.
    Hopefully, I’ll catch up on posts when I get back home later.
    Stay strong whether fasting or having a NFD…..Two weeks until Christmas and all those treats!

Pocket list Day 11
    @gretta
    @daffodil2010
    @borealis
    @jaifaim
    @flourbaby
    @michelinme
    @northerndawn

Day 11, Florida, FD

I also had a EFS weekend…

My cunning plan to deal with my work colleagues’ practice of bringining in baked goodies on Mondays failed. I had a normal eating day yesterday and planned to do a FD today. And FOUR people have brought in cakes and breads. But thanks to reading all the posts this morning I WILL be strong and stick to my FD. Adding myself to the pocket list:
    @gretta
    @daffodil2010
    @borealis
    @jaifaim
    @flourbaby
    @michelinme
    @northerndawn
    @penz

Day 11 Canada NFD
    Trying to curtail the indulgening where possible it’s a challenge but so far I am holding fast.
    Enjoying catching up on posts, that really keeps me close to the wagon at least!!

USA Day 11 FD

Joining the pocket list!

@gretta
    @daffodil2010
    @borealis
    @jaifaim
    @flourbaby
    @michelinme
    @northerndawn
    @penz
    @ccco

Have a great day, everyone!

Day 11 Wales NFD

FD yesterday came in at 720 calories, happy with that. Christmas cards done and posted today. Trying to stay sane with the purchase of festive food, keep reminding myself that we just need a few treats for around 3 days, not a months worth. Following today’s shopping trip the wine rack is stocked with the Christmas supply so thats another challenge…….ignore the wine!!! Haven’t put the tree up yet as I fear that will trigger Christmas madness and release the dragons….once the tree is decorated and fairy lights are twinkling it must be time to open the Baileys?????

Day !!: Gloucestershire. UK: NFD
    @emma Taylor: Thanks for the EFS explanation….I was about to ask the same question.
    Cold, grey day. Strangely light on mail….making us all uneasy, for tomorrow we will surely suffer!
    Feeling depressed about the massive mess our politicians are making of our potentially great country.
    Maybe DD is right to emigrate to Australia!
    @kaywesterman: sorry to hear about your mother, I hope she can be made comfortable.

Day 11. Just arrived in Paris. It’s beautiful.
    NFS.
    Re eating lots of stuff you wouldn’t normally eat in the run up to Christmas, I used to work in a school where cakes and biscuits used to appear as if by magic, ALL the time. I used to go ‘oooh that looks lovely,’ take a big piece, then jettison it in a bin far, far away. Then I’d say how lovely it was. Seemed to work. Everybody felt comfortable cos they thought you were EFS, and you feel good coz you swerved all the sugar. Win: win!

Day 11, Rocky Mountains, US, NFD

Yesterday’s CD stayed at about 1200 cals. Maintaining.😊😊😊

Meeting a friend at the University of Utah Fine Arts Museum 🎨 to check out the latest exhibit and then have lunch together on Campus in a nice cafe with very good and unusual sandwiches 🥪 and the best coffee.☕

Have a good Tuesday everyone! 🌲❄🎄

Day 11 A very gloomy Belfast NFD

I’m loving the jokes and the Christmas ads. Here’s my contribution.

Question: What goes, “Oh, oh, oh”?
    Answer: Santa walking backwards!

Question: Why was the snowman looking through a pile of carrots?
    Answer: He was picking his nose!

@Ciren2- a bitter sweet time for you. Your only consolation must be that you’ve done such a good job bringing her up. She’s grown into a wonderful independent young woman and you’ve given her the wings to spread. Don’t let the countdown to her departure spoil your Christmas time with her. Sending you a big ((hug)).
    As far as EFS is concerned, @flourbaby, @michelinme and others, I’m working hard not to adopt the attitude, ‘Ah well, a new year is just around the corner.’ As it’s often documented, it’s not the FDs that are the problem! But the naughty step is the right place for me!
    @EmmaTaylor I like your mindset, ‘I’ve worked out that it’s not a criminal offence to put on a bit of weight from time to time. ‘
    @basyjames – glad OH is back home and well on the mend.
    @anna 6 – congratulations on your new grandchild
    An interesting comment about family @ccco. When my boys lived around the corner I never saw them. Now they live in Dublin I see plenty of them, for which I’m grateful.
    Good to see you. @metatauta and to hear of your success
    @kaywesterman – it’s so hard to care for ageing parents. Hope your mum’s treatment works out for her.
    @dykask – awesome!
    @betsylee – I write my post in ‘notes’ then cut and paste.

Battling a sort throat and an impending chest infection ☹️ a problem for me this time of year during those dank days.

Stay strong everyone!

Day 11 – Eastern WA USA – NFD

Actually going strong with a 48 hour fast that will end at 6:00 PM. Yesterday I navigated the birthday party as I was fasting. I sipped on herbal tea and took a piece of cake for “later”. Might enjoy a bit for dessert this evening. @flourbaby, yes planning ahead does give us a greater chance of success.

@betsylee – I too do the paper and pencil note taking. I think there are others who do it differently. @at I believe has mentioned using 2 screens.

@EmmaTaylor – you noted that today is an “NFS”; is that a typo? Don’t know what NFS would be.

@borealis – congrats on a new dress! You’re probably right to wait to by more when at your goal. I’ve been buying too many clothes as it is more fun now to try them on and have them look better. I still have quite a few pounds to go.

@jaifaim – hooray for reaching a new low; and in December even!

@debster251 – TY for the shorter jokes. I may even be able to remember one 🙂

Let’s enjoy December even as we endeavor to find the balance of feasting and fasting!

DAY 11 – UK – NFD

Nice & steady day. Ate under TDEE. Tomorrow is an enforced FD in prep for Thursdays ‘scopies. Oh the joys. I will feel like a spit roast hog as I’m having scopies both ends 😂

Cracker Joke

Question – Where does the Captain keep his Armies?
    Answer – Up his Sleevies.

… and it’s a good night from me.

@annemarilyn – thanks for the typo note. It could mean Non Face Stuffing, but that would be a lie. I’m in Paris! Moules et frites … so NFD, And a bit of FS. Sadly.

Day 12 – Japan – NFD

Very little exercise today. I have a lot of DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness) down the center of my upper back. It is all good, I have a weak back and it is limiting what I can do. The Planche style pushups (just leaning way forward) seem to have a lot of impact forcing different muscles to work.

@emma Taylor – Thanks for explaining what EFS is. Hmmm … was yesterday a NFD or EFS day for me? Wow that it a tough call … I probably eat 3000 to 3500 calories worth of food. Much less today.

Day 11 Ohio, US — NFD

Well another high stress day and off the charts with the snacks. But perhaps not . . . I weighed myself today and I weigh the same as I did in September. So no overall improvement. On the other hand, in most years my mid-December weight is 5 pounds (~2.25 kg) over the September weight. So that is definite progress.

@debster251 Tomorrow I have a department lunch (at 2 pm!), so think I’ll use your jokes as ice breakers. Hope you shake that infection!

Day 11 Second note

@dykask Thanks for the pointers on the push-ups. Yeah, I’ve had extensive operations on both wrists to solve the carpal tunnel problems. The surgeries worked, but left the wrists and back of the hands quite weak. I’ve used the Chinese balls to build up the hand muscles, but have let that slide, so maybe it’ll be a good idea to pick that practice up again.

Have a great “Hump Day” everyone!

Day 12 – Ireland 🇮🇪 – FD

Bah that naughty step has me on it all the time. Yesterday’s FD went well, nothing to eat until I got home and DH had the fire lit, the Christmas Tree sparkling, and a hottie of white wine chilling. Did I say no? NO!

Only saving grace is that I made my own supper of konjac rice, chicken breast and broccoli so did not descend into carb hell. I am also successfully avoiding the staggering amount of chocolate, biscuits, cakes, jellies, sweets, that are everywhere in the office. As long as I delay breaking the fast until late lunch (circa 2.15) then I won’t be prone. But just ONE biscuit, and then no control whatsoever. So @flourbaby I hear ya!!!

Going to make this an FD for sure. I have my dress to wear to the Christmas party on Friday and I must fit into it.

Re the work situation….we (the team) are being hauled in today by managers but I am ok about it today. I know that management have to take the flack from higher up (been there, done that) so I will just take it today and move on. Thanks @jaifaim for your encouragement ☺️

Anyone joining me today for day 12 FD?
    Pocket List day 12
    @daffodil2010

Day 12, London, UK, NFD (CD),

Feeling better today & looking forward to getting a CD under my belt before tomorrows’ FD. I’ve launched myself off of the naughty step (dragging you with me @daffodil2010) and onto the wagon, strapping myself in and making a dash for the December finish line!!! The chocolates at work are tempting, but I’ll take a couple (so I don’t feel I’ve missed out(!!)) and leave them in the desk draw. This, I can do no problem; waft a wine gum, biscuit, slice of cake or a thick slice of warm buttered bread in front of me and I’m a goner!!!!!

@kaywesterman, your mum is in my thoughts.

@missybear, I love your ability to prioritise ……………….. the wine rack is stocked with the Christmas supply ……………….. Haven’t put the tree up yet……………….. LOL, If I did it that way around, I’m sure I would be saying, “The wine rack is stocked; forget the tree!!!!!”

@debster251, those jokes are awful enough to make the final cut for ‘cracker jokes’ …………………….. love it!!!!!

Keep the faith people, it’s soooooo hard at the moment (for me anyway!!) but it’s worth putting that extra little bit of effort into swerving the December pitfalls that jinx January. I’m aiming to see January for what it is, a lovely start to a new year filled with hope!!! So, a good mindful December will mean a positive start to 2019, I can do that!!!

Day 12, Emden Germany, NFD

@daffodil2010 totally forgot to response to your situation at work, good luck today!

@betsylee I’m also a paper and pencil person, I just can’t work with the split screen, too clumsy.

@emma-taylor I also thought it meant Non Face Stuffing and thought, well done! Have a great time in Paris!

@missybear is that Bailey’s bottle still closed?

@borealis how lovely you bought a new dress in a smaller size, it’s so encouraging, isn’t it.

@debster251 hope you feel better!

Day 12, Melb Aust FD

Not sure I can call today a proper FD, though I have probably been under 800 cals – very hot today, so bought, froze and later ate 2 McDonald’s large coke McSpiders, basically coke with soft-serve ice-cream. Plus 2 spearmint leaves, which would be less than 50 cals. Very poor eating!!! Maybe call it a low-cal NFD????

Actually, @michelinme, thanks very much for all the acronym explanations. Helps me understand some of the posts. Hope you recover fully from your pneumonia quickly (it WAS you who mentioned pneumonia, wasn’t it?). Oh, by the way, I thought OH was “old husband” – “other half” is much nicer!!!

@debster251, good to read the 2 Santa jokes, and hope you’re better soon.

@judyjudes, had a good chuckle over your joke – keep them coming! 🙂

Day 12, Surrey (UK), NFD

DERAILLER ALERT, DERAILLER ALERT!!

HOW did I do this? I have scheduled not one but TWO Asian meals on consecutive nights! What WILL that do to my hard-won weight loss? 6 months to lose it and 2 nights to put it all back on??? NNNNNOOOOOOOO!!

So…some hard-core tactics are called for. Friday will definitely be a FD. All days will be alcohol-free for the rest of this week – I’m the designated driver, so that part is straightforward. I’ll be avoiding carbs where possible, and drinking lots of water. It’s a bit frustrating when what should be a joyful and fun occasion turns into a damage-limitation exercise, but I’m trying not to be too bah-humbug about it. So, I resolve to enjoy the dinners and (more importantly) the company of my friends, and just exercise mindful control on the other days.

Sometimes it’s hard, but we just have to keep on keeping on. What other option is there? Sorry for the rant about what is essentially a 1st world problem!

Take care everyone, and keep up the good work…you know you are worth it!

Day 12 UK CD

Yesterday’s extra OMAD FD was so much easier than Monday, proving again the importance of helpful prep the day before a FD. I finished comfortably under 800 calories with supper of wild rice, peas, eggs, cheese, apple, nuts and clementine – and remembered to drink plenty of water! Weight today is back to previous plateau of 144lb.

Also did some gentle yoga stretches yesterday for the first time in a week or so – really crunchy muscles but felt much better afterwards, and breathing better too. Got to bed a bit earlier – another Dec goal – and wonderful quality of sleep; thanks @dingping for sharing niacinamin!

Today has been another slow start as my body really struggled to get going and brain easily distracted. Lots to fit in/plan/tackle, and I’m feeling really challenged to find a balance. Yoga & meditation, sleep, food and planning are key to managing and not getting swamped by so much happening in December -not least the huge political stuff! I think I’m going to switch off from news now and go inwards again, looking at what I need to do for myself and for the world around me, rather than trying to keep up and getting blown off course. Small things done well and consistently can move mountains.

@judyjudes hope your FD prep for tomorrow’s scopies goes well – and good luck!!!
    @emma-taylor hope all is well with you in Paris
    @dykask really interesting exercise notes – do keep sharing 🙂
    @matpi yay for sustaining weight and for being lower than last December!
    @debster251 get well soon x
    @daffodil2010 well done with sticking to supper, and good luck with today
    @flourbaby i love your posts and always find resonance… every day i think “me too”
    @betsylee under 800 is fine for a FD, tho food choices are important!…not all calories are created equal and some will puff up, add weight or size while others seem to disappear. Thanks for your good wishes 🙂 I had pneumonia in July and have been slow to recover, still v low energy and breathless – not helped by series of viruses and cold weather 🙁
    @fatfingers hope you have fun with friends and feasting

Good luck to all who are fasting, have fun to all who are feasting… Celebration is an important part of life – and this is a Way Of Life! Mindfulness and moderation are great tools to have in the box – or the handbag 🙂

Day 12 Wales NFD

This month is going so quickly I have to keep checking what day we are on. Aiming to have good mindful healthy eating NFDs in the lead up to the festive feasting and so far so good 😇 @snowflake56 the Baileys and cognac bottles are unopened and ‘hidden’ at the back of the understairs cupboard so to reach them I will have to remove loads of stuff we store in there which should give pause for thought in any weak moments of desire!

Keep on keeping on everyone 🙂

Day 12, UK, FD

Back home and back on wagon 🙂 . I exercised today (I do a bit of youga and pilates at home) after a long time and I’m shock to see how unfit I’ve become 😱
    I really must do my best to get back into my healthy eating and exercising. Being in the middle of holiday season doesn’t help though 🌲, lots of dues and temptations.

@daffodil2010 you have company now 😉

Pocket list for today:
    @daffodil2010
    @betsylee
    @shinything

Day 12 Belfast NFD

Who mentioned Bailies? I just had to go and get a bottle! Yet another weakness of mine ☹️

The scales are settled comfortably a pound below my top of range, or should I say ‘stuck’? Must have a strong mindset to reduce that by a pound or two before the big day. I’m determined to weigh the same at the end of December.

Stay strong everyone

Day 12 – Eastern WA USA – FD

Pocket list for today:
    @daffodil2010
    @betsylee
    @shinything
    @annemarilyn

Yes, hopping on the fasting list for today rather than tomorrow as there are festivities on the calendar for Thursday and Friday. One thing I’m relearning, is that I have control of my behavior and the scale may or may not reflect my good choices. I’m choosing to use fasting, and to generally keep carbs & especially sugars low. Then I will enjoy the food and the company as I go through the season.

@daffodil2010 – your hubby is usually supportive of you on FDs, right? Maybe he didn’t know you were fasting and thus had the wine out? It sounds like you’re making plans for navigating the feasting. May it go well at work today.

@fatfingers – yes, preplanning a great idea. It helps me to think of what I am choosing to eat and drink rather than focusing on what I “can’t” have. You’re right, we want to be enjoying the company.

@michelinme – you are so right, Celebration is an important part of life. This way of life can be as flexible as we need it to be.

I appreciate people sharing their way of making a plan for success through the holidays. Yes, together we are stronger!

Day 12: Gloucestershire, UK: NFD
    Running alongside, but not even attempting to get onto the wagon….why?….I don’t know, my mind is not in the right place, I suppose. I hope you don’t mind me just being here!
    Work busy, Christmas Pressure, maybe halfway through. We’re a man down, someone’s about to be dismissed for gross misconduct (talk of the office)…but a bad time of year. Maybe we’ll be asked to work our days’ off to cover the rounds.
    @debster251: Thanks for your kind words re: DD off to Australia. I’m so proud of her, and I just want her to stay safe and be happy. I do worry, especially with the news of the poor young girl who went on her travels and got murdered in New Zealand. Of course you can’t stop them from flying the nest.
    Hope you get well soon. xx

Day 11 FD Newcastle Australia
    @ciren2 I feel the same way, crazy work & pressure everywhere!

But even though I haven’t posted much it really is helping to read how you are all going and keep my FDs top of mind. I’m trying to have lighter NFDs and was doing so well yesterday. Then the work Christmas food thing tripped me over & I ate my body weight in gingerbread! Well, it felt like it!
    I am working from home today & trying to decide if I can fast. I’m not great at home, near my kitchen. But thank the Lord I start three weeks holidays tomorrow so I will have to find that will power somewhere! It normally comes with the scales on Boxing Day.
    My hubby is still in hospital after his back surgery and not doing well so I’m preparing to shuttle between home & him for the next week. Hoping he is home for Christmas.
    @debster251 Ballies is my weakness too. It’s like Aldi Dark Chocolate Hazelnut, can NOT have it in the house 😊
    @shinything I am struggling with exercise too. After hearing someone on the radio talking about a half hour walk a day is more powerful in its effects than medicine I’m trying to think of my walk AS medicine, rather than something to squeeze in. It works some days & not others but here’s hoping holiday time helps.
    Good luck to you all!

Day 12
    Florida
    NFD. Doing pretty good. Finished a watercolor of a blue heron for my living room.
    Looking at air fares. Due to Christmas holidays the fares are high. My brother texted me and said my mom is refusing her meds which means her antibiotics. He will be talking with Hospice this Saturday. We were hoping to get through the holidays before getting hospice. I’ll wait till Hospice gets involved before I fly up there. Trying to focus on my art instead of food during this time. Will be busy tomorrow so that will help.
    Have a great day.

@ciren2: My eldest son messed up his A levels and decided to go to Australia for a year. It was the making of him. When he came home, he was a different boy. He’d grown up! His brother followed a couple of years later. Five years ago, they both decided to go to Canada and had a two year visa. (They wouldn’t let me run them to the airport and when they left they had laid a bet as to when I would cry!)As they were both in their mid 20s I worried of course that they would meet a Canadian girl and decide to settle down there. As it was, they met their Dublin girls the first week they were there and conducted long distance relationships till they came home. They both now have great jobs and are very happy (and of course they are 2hours drive down the road). You can’t help but worry. My YS isn’t great at communication but we played ‘Words with Friends’ so I knew he was OK. I have to add that we didn’t sponsor their travels. They were self funding and it’s been great for their budgeting skills. And of course FaceTime or Skype means that you’ll be able to see where she is living and meet her friends (and maybe get a holiday to visit her?). My heart goes out to you, especially with the girl in NZ so recently in the news. But your DD is going to work if I remember correctly and will be in a totally different set of circumstances. Stay strong my friend and make the most of the time you’ve left.

Day 12 second post

Unplanned FD! Got stuck in at laptop and the time flew past, forgot to drink too. Delighted with this as I’ve had exactly the same OMAD supper as yesterday bc cooked enough for 2 days. Yay! And I’d already defrosted tomorrow’s FD stew… might make that a CD bc i couldn’t possibly do B2B2B2B – or could I?! Must now keep on and get to sleep by 1030pm – early start tomorrow.

@ciren2 lovely to have you with us; you’ll be back on the waggon in your own good time 🙂
    @kaywesterman so sorry to hear about your Mum. not suprised it’s hard to concentrate… i’ll remember you both in my prayers
    @sunn_beam Good luck with today’s FD … or CD! Sorry your DH is still in hospital, hope he gets home soon.

Here you go @daffodil2010 – loads of company

Pocket list for today:
    @daffodil2010
    @betsylee
    @shinything
    @annemarilyn
    @borealis (3rd day of B2B2B)
    @judyjudes
    @michelinme (3rd day of B2B2B)

USA Day 12 NFD

I think I came in under my TDEE today but feel stuffed! The stress of the Christmas season is getting to me, so I will have to try harder. Tomorrow I am in great need of a FD. Onwards and downwards!

Starting Now! Already too excited.

Day 13 – Japan – NFD

@matpi – your wrist pain must be off the charts. Just build slowly being careful not to hurt yourself. While hand related pain is a common problem, the range of how hard people can push past it varies a lot. I was lucky, just keeping my wrist still for a couple months was enough to greatly reduce the carpal tunnel related pain I had. (A pretty common problem for programmers who generally tend to be pretty unhealthy when they are buried in the code.)

It is really cold in Japan. I trying to mentally work myself up for a run. Maybe with a little bit of bar work. My back is still sore, but that is going to happen for a few weeks.

Day 12 USA (Illinois) NFD

Been a busy day – got to yoga, Silver Sneakers, and a movie today (yes, buttered popcorn is my downfall) and off to Praise Team rehearsal shortly.

I hope to get back to reading and responding to posts tomorrow, making it a FD.

Onward and downward.

Day 11 Newcastle Australia FD
    @michelinme an accidental FD, don’t you just love when that happens! Some FD days are such hard work and others fly by.
    I’m celebrating reaching midday and only having pinched a bit of cut up fruit from my children’s morning tea 😁

Might try a dinner at 4pm and see if I can hold the line til bed after that. Planning sardines on toast.

Day 12, Rocky Mountains, US, NFD

Very snowy day.❄ Ate too many nuts 🌰but I am right at my TDEE. Also walked 6.4 miles.

Hope everyone had a good Wednesday! 😊😊😊

Day 13 – Melbourne AUS – FD

Just checking in, not feeling 100% (think the meal I had out at the pub last night has made me feel unwell), so going to head home soon to rest.

Lovely hearing everyones stories about the Christmas challenges. My weight is up again, but I’m not going to stress about it too much now, and just enjoy this time socialising with friends and family (and food and wine!)

Pocket List Day 13
    @gretta

Day 13, Cornwall UK, NFD

Weekly update from the Tortoise Club. I squeezed my 2nd fast day in early this week as we are going away for a few days, and weighed this morning and up 0.2kg to 71.7kg. I had a good week so I’m really mad about it!

Will have to start calorie counting on non fast days for a while, as I think I’m doing OK but I’m clearly deluding myself! At least I’m fasting as the weight would be piling on.

Thanks for asking about the eye ulcer @snowflake56. Its responding to treatment – hourly drops through the night for the first 2 days! I was a bit shocked about how serious it is. Our only big hospital in Cornwall – Treliske – is so overworked and underfunded – yet been really careful and helpful. So looking good for a full recovery.

Looking forward to hearing about what happened at work @daffodil2010. I admire your honesty. Lots of people would try to pass on the blame. I tell my son to try total honesty when things go wrong – take the heat – then people trust you going forward. Hard to do but very effective in a lot of situations.

Well – off for an indulgent weekend. And must remember how far i have come. 34kgs down and just 7kgs to go. Must stay controlled and keep going.

Day 13, Emden Germany, NFD

@alvin121 welcome!

@daffodil2010 I hope you’re fine?

@debster251 what alovely post you wrote to @ciren2!

@cornish-jane glad your ulcer is healing, always scary when eyes are involved in infections.

@kaywesterman would it be possible to give the antibiotics in the fluid form with yogurt?

@michelinme try to go for another FD if you’re feeling well, done is done!

Day 13, London, UK, FD

The soup is in the fridge, ready for 2pm ‘breakfast’ and bone broth waiting at home to satisfy me before bed. I’m planning an early night, since physically or mentally closing the kitchen door is making not the slightest bit of difference to the roaring dragon!!!

Wow @debster251, ……………….. Baileys mentioned by @snowflake56 at 10:12am, you cracked & had bought a bottle by 7:11 pm …………………………you’re even better than me!!!…………………….& I’m a pure & unapologetic lush!!!! Just so you know, the ‘recommended’ serving of Baileys is 50ml!!! Another candidate for that imaginary box of recommended serving sizes containing 1 biscuit, ½ bagel, a matchbox size piece of cheese, 4 wine gums(!) or a teaspoon of Nutella!!!!! ………………….. These recommendations do not reflect my reality………………………………. Surely 50ml of Baileys is just what’s stuck to the side of the glass once you’ve finished!!!!!!!!

Welcome @alvin121, you’ll find nothing but advice & support here, I’m pleased to add you to my list of supporters (I can’t have too many!!) who’ll get me through Deadly December!!!!!!!

The dreaded weekend starts for me tomorrow, I need to get a grip and make it 4 VERY controlled NFDs, I know it’s not that difficult, I just need to have lots of delicious healthy things to eat rather than suddenly feeling hungry & resorting to the Xmas bits!!! I can’t remember who said it the week before Halloween ……………………… “I bought the Halloween candy yesterday, today it’s all gone!!” …………………………….. I need to make sure that isn’t me on Xmas morning!!!!

If you’re going through hell…………………….keep going!!!

Viewing 50 posts - 301 through 350 (of 698 total)

You must be logged in to reply.