Holding Fast – the December 2018 Monthly Challenge

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Holding Fast – the December 2018 Monthly Challenge

This topic contains 697 replies, has 50 voices, and was last updated by  Borealis 5 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 48 posts - 651 through 698 (of 698 total)

• Day 29, Gozo, Malta, nfd

Michelinme I like your phrase: Iโ€™m not a bin.

There are so many goodies in the kitchen and Iโ€™m loving eating them. Iโ€™m going to weigh 2nd January and start fasting then.

Today was beautiful weather as the last few days and my second daughter and I went to a nearby red sandy beach with my two granddaughters and grandson. The children enjoyed themselves playing with the sand and water. My daughter went to bring them the typical gozitan sheep cheese pizza and they ate there together with my daughter and myself.

I just took my son to meet up with his friends and go to the cinema.

Keep on keeping on. Have a great weekend everyone.

USA Day 29 NFD

Anna6, it’s nice to read what you write. You seem to have an exceptionally close knit family.

I begin my new 24 hour water fast day at 2 p.m. today and will eat again at 2 pm tomorrow. I feel so bloated from all the Christmas eating, so it’s time to immediately beginning to remedy that! I want to start the new year on a high note!

Have a wonderful weekend, everyone!

Day 29, Rocky Mountains, US, NFD

Walking and still eating Christmas goodies. But fasting 20 hours, 4 hours food window. That helps with the weight. I am back in middle maintenance weight.

Have a good Saturday everyone! I am off into the very cold outside world! ๐Ÿ˜Šโ„โ˜ƒ๏ธ

Day 29 UK NFD

Been more of an EFS day today, again. Despite not needing to be at all. Dunno what’s wrong with me – I keep eating crackers. Woke up this morning and felt my fat suit inflated for the first time in ages – that puffy post carb feeling in abundance. Then did it all over again…for why?! Feeling utterly inflated and exhausted, and no idea why I did it. At least they’re all gone now!

I can manage cheese, I can manage chocolate, I can stay away from sugar, I can stay away from alcohol – in fact I rarely drink these days, except lakes of fizzy water! But carbs in the house – esp white carbs – just don’t work for me. I don’t even LIKE white carbs ๐Ÿ™ ๐Ÿ™ ๐Ÿ™

OK. Put it behind me. Easy on, easy off. I have community lunch project tomorrow so not easy to make it a FD. But I’m going to be really mindful of what I eat, stay away from carbs and just have veggie lunch, salad, fruit and plenty of water. And think about making 31st or 1st a chance to clean out my system. So much easier on a busy day, and so much harder when mostly at home, tired and the food starts calling me…

Well done everyone with FD or CD under your belt this week- that’s an epic achievement at this time of year! I’m off to prep for tomorrow, colour my hair (way overdue!) and get to bed early – good sleep is the foundation to build better habits ๐Ÿ™‚

We’re nearly at the end of this month’s challenge – as i write there are only 53 hours left of this year. My hosting duties are nearly done – thank you for being a lovely bunch of motivated, encouraging, wise and funny companions who make it a pleasure to be here each day….

Don’t forget to sign up for the January challenge, hosted by the wisest of wise women @at over at https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/new-year-new-start-january-2019-challenge/#post-275414

Day 29 – UK – FD

First FD today since Day 18……That is the longest I have gone without fasting except when on holidays. So a big thank you to @borealis for adding me to the pocket list earlier today – it certainly has helped to keep me focused.

Started the day with a strong Broga class this morning (with OH) and apart from a semi skimmed flat white mid afternoon all I have consumed is plenty of water and some black Earl Grey tea…….I have logged on here now to ensure that I just keep sipping water until an early bed time keeping that kitchen door firmly closed……

@rosy-posy – welcome to the group and hope to see you on our January one too
    @fatteacher – great to have you back with us – I remember you from previous challenges – join us for the January one????
    @redrockgirl302 – your 20:4 seems to be working really well for you – well done for staying in the middle of your maintenance range – I have not dared to weigh yet – will do so on Monday morning after my B2B FDs over the weekend ๐Ÿคž
    @michelinme – thank you for your kind words – not sure about being that wise!!! But really looking forward to seeing many of you on the January Challenge – here is the link again
    https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/new-year-new-start-january-2019-challenge/#post-275414

โ€œYour strongest muscle and your worst enemy is your mind โ€“ TRAIN IT WELLโ€

kia ora everyone from Auckland New Zealand, day 30 I believe?

This is the first challenge I have not actively taken part in for 3 years. Although saying that, this way of life is so much part of my life while I may not have logged in, you have all still been part of my thinking and support in the background.
    It is so nice to have blue skies and sunshine, sorry to those residents still in winter weather but it is so good for my soul after the bleakness of late and I don’t mean just the weather.

I hope you all had a good Christmas and I wish you all a good, healthy 2019. As we reflect on the year almost gone be kind to yourself. Look ahead and just be the best you can. Don’t look for perfection, look to your heart and love others, most importantly love yourself. Don’t dwell on on the things you don’t like but love and admire those beautiful parts. Face and bodies wrinkle and may not be the shape we desire but a loyal and loving heart lasts a lifetime.

We have a few days in Auckland to recover from our long flights b4 heading down to Queenstown to meet our son and bring in the New year with him.

Take care all, much love Liz x

Day 29 USA (Utah visiting) NFD

Last night with DD and friends we had dinner at an Indian restaurant. I have never eaten Indian before, so it was interesting! I did well, not too much rice or naan, and the main dishes we all shared seemed pretty good. I know… made it to 70 years old, and never been to an Indian restaurant. Chinese, Japanese, Thai, Vietnamese, but never a place called Bombay House… and I would love to see the Taj Mahal someday! Guess I had better learn!

Onward and downward.

Day 29, UK, NFD

Even though its a NFD for me, I’m really pleased with my food choices and quantities today ๐Ÿ™‚ . I feel I’m getting back to normal ๐Ÿ˜€

@daffodil2010 “@shinything and @debster251 denial and damage limitation will get us through the next few days then we hit the ground running” – Amen to that ๐Ÿ˜€ . @michelinme maybe join us? ๐Ÿ˜€
    You’ve been a wonderful, attentive hostess @michelinme, thank you so much ๐Ÿค— ๐Ÿ’

The month is almost over, lets stay strong and cross the finish line ๐Ÿ’ช

Day 29 Minnesota, USA NFD

I’ve tried to do FDs for the last 3 days, but unable, due to my weakness for carbs, the leftover treats at my house, and now a new stressor, with DDs in-laws coming, unexpectedly, to my home tomorrow or Monday.
    I think I will end the month at 2 lbs up on my starting weight. That’s about 1 Kg. Not the worst thing in the world. It does not feel great, body-wise, which is something to encourage me to get back on track.
    i stayed under TDEE yesterday. I might stay under or slightly over 1460 today. I mean to make my roasted vegetable soups tomorrow: cauliflower, carrot, onion, butternut squash; and have them ready for a week of low calorie, high fiber soups, and zucchini noodles sautรฉed in olive oil, garlic, and sprinkled with parmesan. I love all of that, and I think it’ll get me back on track. Also lentil and split pea soup, with vegetables. If I feel the need for more protein I will scramble some eggs or make an omelet.

I hope to read all posts from 2 weeks ago on. I’m desperately behind.
    Best of luck and best wishes to everyone.

2nd post – in case I forget these are for you @michelineme https://kenyastockholm.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/flowers.jpg
    With thanks x

Day 30: Gloucestershire, UK: NFD
    Good to see you @coda; enjoy your time in New Zealand xx

Day 30 – Ireland ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ช – NFD

@michelinme I had a mound of crackers in my house yesterday begging for cheese and charcuterie and relish……I brought said crackers out the back garden, broke them up, spread them on the ground, and within a few hours every crumb had been eaten by the local birds. Yup, desperate measures to combat later carb attacks but also helping our feathered friends. ๐Ÿ˜†

So it’s Sunday, another day of lolling around beckons. Have a good one

Hi FF, I notice you are posting from Surrey, UK. I am a born and bred Aussie from Perth Western Australia but my dad was born in Thames Ditton, Surrey. He came down under on a great adventure, met my Aussie mum, got married, had 3 daughters and the rest is history !

Thanks for the welcome! I have just done 3 consecutive days of fasting, praying that Iโ€™ll be at my pre Xmas weight or lower tomorrow. Stay tuned ! I am looking fwd to eating some left over Glazed Xmas ham tomorrow . I have been stoically resisting it for days. Will throw it out after my post scales weigh in feast.

We are taking family to the aurport tomorrow morning so will post midday with some hopefully, good news !

Day 31 Melb Aust FD
    Day 30 NFD
    Day 29 NFD

It’s just after midnight on the 31st, so it is officially the last day of the month. My two NFDs were the worst I’ve had since starting this WOL at the end of November. Not sure why. Just didn’t feel well; finished the antibiotics tonight, hurrah! Ear and hearing okay now.

@missybear, hope you’re feeling better now the swelling in the hand is going down, and that you’ll soon be off antibiotics too.

@fatfingers, glad the 6lb damage turned into only 2lb after your FD, well done!

@michelinme, good the damage was only 1 lb, though those crackers may have been a problem. Liked @daffodil2010‘s solution of feeding the birds, to dispose of unwanted goodies.

@ciren2, re your DD in Melbourne, one thing she will quickly find – Melbourne has some of the most changeable weather in the world. After 41 two days ago, today was only 24 degrees. It will gradually warm up to 39 by Friday, then back down to 24 again. Typical Melbourne!!! She’ll learn to wear layers, and always always check the weather forecast in the morning, as the weather from the morning could be completely different by the end of the day.

@michelinme, have really enjoyed being past of the December challenge, and your encouragement. Will be continuing on into January 2019.

USA Day 30 FD

Another FD in progress but not a water fast! I have been too busy to exercise but I am walking.

I am up for the January challenge and can’t wait to see what the new year will bring! ๐Ÿ™‚

Day 30 USA (Utah visiting) NFD

Did eat well yesterday, and happy for that. Going to brunch today after church with local friends, so will try for a FD tomorrow. No champagne on NYE for me. Thatโ€™s okay.

@coda – glad you have gotten to NZ and sun! Enjoy time with your sun. So good to see you posting.

@northerndawn – unexpected house guests always puts me in a tizzy to straighten and clean. Hope your time is fun!โ€™

@michelinme – thank you so much for taking the reins this month. Youโ€™ve been so encouraging!

Onward and downward.

@betsylee: Thanks for the advice regarding the weather in Melbourne. I’ve been checking the weather since DD left us and, yes, the temperatures seem to vary enormously! Haven’t heard much from her as yet, she needs to get her life sorted out and WiFi etc before we can communicate effectively.
    @ccco: You are starting to inspire me with your water fasts. I note that you begin them during the afternoon and then finish the following afternoon…..could be a plan?

Day 30, London, UK, FD,

I’m throwing in a FD ……….. 1) because I CAN!!! & 2) because I have to!!! I enjoy fasting, I feel great having completed a FD, I sleep deeply & anxiety free after a FD, the tummy bloat is instantly deflated after a FD. An entire week without a FD ………… Not good!! I couldn’t even consider them NFDs; I’m not sure why I consider wine, chocolate, crackers, and cake a treat because they actually make me feel pretty crap!!! If it’s habit, I suppose 40+ years is going to require more effort for a permanent brain re-train ……… 2019 resolution number 25!!!

I’m still going sideways, but I actually feel toxic, does that make sense???

Anyway, I’m off to guzzle some more water to flush whatever boozy, refined carbs remain in my system!!!

Lovely to hear from you @coda, I hope you have a fantastic time in NZ with your son!!

Onward & sideways folks!!

USA Day 30 FD

Ciren2, yes, I start and finish in the afternoons. I am not hungry in the morning, so that helps. Also, many of those hours are spent sleeping at night. I don’t like to eat in the evening because when I am tired I get carried away and can’t stop, plus eating in the evening makes it seem like my next meal the following evening is so very far away! LOL It’s a psychological thing with me! Mid-afternoon meals make the next day’s meal seem closer (I know, strange!)! Also, I get the opportunity to burn off some of those calories before I go to bed at night. Well, that’s how I talk myself into doing this!

I wish everyone a great 5:2 day! ๐Ÿ™‚

Day 30 U.K. NFD
    Not keeping up with posts or this WOL, family gathering yesterday and tomorrrow, thankfully not at our house so can walk away from left overs!
    Going to hit 2019 with new resolve and determination, no more faffing about or tinkering pure 5:2 from then on, it will be a relief!

Thank you @michelinme for taking control during โ€˜Dangerous Decemberโ€™ Iโ€™m sure many of us would have fallen off the wagon completely during this festive food rich month if it wasnโ€™t for the accountability here. Many thanks for your guardianship.
    Thank you all for letting me dip in and out, run along and join in this past year. 2019 comes with fresh starts and positive changes so fully engaged for embracing healthy living, eating and fasting with all you lovely people.
    Happy New Year celebrations to everyone and wishing 2019 to be a positive and rewarding year for all.
    Ta xxx

Day 30 Canada NFD
    I managed a FD yesterday and am slowly getting back on track after an eating filled few weeks. Itโ€™s been a fun time filled with family and friends so no regrets
    Thanks @michelinme for hosting and letting me drift in and out.
    @at I canโ€™t wait for the next challenge, please count me in.

Day 30 – UK – FD

Struggling with today’s FD but managing to hold firm thinking of you @borealis

Drinking lots of water with some cups of tea with skimmed milk and have planned vegetable soup with chicken for tonight

@coda – wonderful to hear from you and that you arrived safely in NZ and are starting to enjoy your holiday – hope to hear from you in our January challenge – Happy Kiwi New Year to you xx
    @songbirdme – can’t believe that you had your first Indian meal recently………there so many forms of Indian cooking varying so much by region so lots for you to explore ๐Ÿ˜‹
    @daffodil2010 – what a wonderful way to remove temptation from your house and I bet the birds loved it
    @rosy-posy – I’m in awe of your 3 consecutive FDs – how many calories do you consume per day?
    @betsylee and others fasting on NY Eve – great will power – After my B2B FDs I’m looking forward to enjoying a few glasses of bubbly with dinner at home with some friends tomorrow night!
    @flourbaby – great to have you joining us on a FD today
    @bellyblast – It will be lovely to have you on board in January

I am putting together a Pocket List for Day 30 to keep me focused……..only around 5 hrs before bedtime!
    @borealis – 2nd of B2B
    @at – 2nd of B2B
    @flourbaby
    @ccco

Today I have been reminding myself that “The Struggle I Am In Today Is Developing The Strength I Need for Tomorrow”

Day 30, Rocky Mountains, US, NFD

More walking today, walking the dog and later walking to a coffee shop where I will consume only a large Americano, then home for my 4 hour food window.

Have a good Sunday everyone! ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š

Day 30 UK NFD

Today has been better at least partly because i’m so puffy and feeling yuck after Crackergate. Swerved past biscuits at post-church coffee, and only consumed a couple of crisps pre-community lunch of chickpeas and veg in tomato sauce with a little rice and salad, sweet potato with quorn mince & peas for supper. Not drunk enough water but at least i’ve not eaten any crackers, so reasonable prep for some home-based fasting. My mantra is going to be “it could have been worse” ๐Ÿ™‚

I’ve now got 3 days hibernating at home while I pretend to be away – no emails, phone calls, family or friends but a complete break from Everything. Resting, reading and writing are on the menu along with a little knitting, yoga, meditation and sleep. Possibly even a bit of a mooch along the common if the weather goes in for crispy sun. My gift to myself.

@coda thank you for wise reflection – and flowers! hope you have a lovely time in NZ x
    @songbirdme wonderful that you are experiencing new things and enjoying them, so much variety in Indian cuisine ๐Ÿ™‚
    O @daffodil2010 what an excellent idea to feed the birds with crackers-and how I wish I’d read it 48 hrs ago!
    @shinything it’s hard to deny when I feel so… toxic is perfect description @flourbaby. No idea how i used to cope with feeling like this when I ate white carbs – clearly i’ve got used to feeling cleaner and leaner!
    @northerndawn empathy – and yay for soup! Thanks for the inspiration ๐Ÿ™‚
    @rosyposy how brilliant to have done 3FDs – well done! Amazing achievement to weigh same as or less than before Christmas. See you in January challenge
    @betsylee hope you feel better and your ear infection has cleared up. Sadly the crackers have had their revenge but hopefully easy on/easy off weight ๐Ÿ™‚
    @ccco you are on a roll with your FDs – well done!
    @flourbaby hope you had a good FD – and thanks for the FD pitch full of wonderful reminders ๐Ÿ™‚
    @bellyblast yay for a FD and also for enjoying family & friends – balance is key to making this WOL sustainable

Now for bath and an early night – self-care is taking over the driving for the next few days. Here’s to learning lessons, letting go and loving the skin I’m in ๐Ÿ™‚ Onwards!

Day 30, UK, NFD (FD almost happened)

I went on a day trip today, to RSPB Ham Wall in hope to see a big starling murmuration, and OMG! There was around at least 30 000 starlings! They performed for a while and than chattered for a long time once settled down. The most amazing experience, simply breath taking ๐Ÿ˜ญ ๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ’ƒ โค โค ๐Ÿ˜€
    Because I left early to drive and get there in the early afternoon, and than got busy exploring that wonderful site, and watch the performance โค, and than it was time to drive back ….. I almost ended up having a FD, but than I got home and ruined it ๐Ÿ˜‘ . Ah well, we carry on ….

Have a great day everyone ๐ŸŒน

Day 31 – Japan – NFD

Skipping this last fast day because it won’t work well with family. I’ll start fasting next year, probably on Friday.

Happy New Year!

Day 30 – Eastern WA USA – NFD

Travel day after a couple of days with family in BC, Canada. Kept today to about a 16:8. Not too bad with the choices. Still have one more feasting event to plan with my children and grandchildren sometime this week. Then should be back to more fasting.
    I think one of the highlights of the family visit, was seeing my mom, who struggles with dementia, sing along on the carols we sang as I led from a small keyboard at my brother and SIL. We kept singing one more & Mom kept singing along.

Thank you @michelinme for your gracious leadership this month.

Day 30 Ohio, US FD(#42)
    Days 28 and 29 NFD’s

Sorry for not being more active the last few days — still recovering from that infection. A friend says that it’s better to sick during work time and not on vacation time — and this time off certainly is proving them right. This FD has been right on target, even though I slept most of the day

@michelinme Thanks for the link to the recipe! It looks really good! With any luck it will be a New Year’s dessert.

@annemarilyn It sounds like you had a terrific visit with your family. There’s a good deal of research indicating that singing is really beneficial for people with dementia, so the carol sing sounds like it was not only great fun, but quite healing for you mom too.

@shinything The starling murmuration sounds like it was spectacular. When I first moved to this rural area 16 years ago, in the fall big flocks of geese, ducks, and other birds would pass over head on their southward flights. For about 4 or 5 years now there haven’t been any at all. It has made me wonder how drastic the effects changes in the weather already have been.

Day 31 – Ireland ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ช – NFD

My body craves an FD but I can’t really do one on New Years Eve. So instead I will fast in work today and then try to take it easy tonight. We have planned a homemade turkey and chickpea curry for supper so how bad can that be? There is champagne for midnight but right now I am fed up of wine and all things alcoholic…….bah humbug.

However, from tomorrow it’s back to Dry till Fri, and there will be B2B FD’s Wed and Thursday.

@shinything oh goodness that murmuration must have been wonderful. The starlings that were in my area in summer are no longer around, probably flown south, and the ones that are here are not in the great numbers of a few years ago so no murmuration โ˜น๏ธ Darn the local tidy town guys for cutting down those trees where the starlings used to roost ๐Ÿ˜ก Anyway, delighted you got to see one.

@annemarilyn so happy for you that your mother was singing along with the carols. Great memories made.

@michelinme thank you for your great hosting during this crazy month. Enjoy your ME time.

To all of you, have a great end to 2018, and see you all in 2019.

Day 31, Emden Germany, FD

had a lovely weekend with my husband’s family again, apart from 8 large scoops of ice cream, I didn’t go overboard too much.

@michelinme thanks for being such a great host!

Hope everyone has a great evening!

Final day of 2018 Belfast CD
    My weight has been all over the place since Christmas. Iโ€™m ready to get back to normality on that wagon and look forward to a fresh start tomorrow.

Iโ€™ll take the liberty of repeating last yearโ€™s poem. The sentiments are the same.

The festive seasonโ€™s behind us at last
    The Christmas indulgences consigned to the past.
    The reset button firmly to press
    The excess baggage to promptly redress.

Dragons come in different guises
    Dormant dinosaurs in different sizes
    Awakened by sugar, cheese and wine
    So sharpen those swords and despatch down the line.

This forumโ€™s a place where our souls we bare,
    A safe haven in which our grievances to air,
    Of fellowship, friendship, loving and fun
    Thereโ€™s no shame, no failure just honest concern

Thereโ€™s this diet, that diet, diets galore
    But the Fast Diet is a way of life for sure
    Convinced now? Why not give it a hit?
    That will make you healthy, fabulous and fit

So gird your loins, padlock that fridge,
    Cork that bottle and pull up that drawbridge.
    Ditch the Emmental, the Brie, the hors dโ€™oeuvres,
    Get the brilliant body that you deserve.

So…Mince pies and pudding consigned to the bin
    Those healthy options are heralded in,
    The Fitbit is charged, MFP is primed
    All ready to roll with those midnight chimes.

Letโ€™s raise a glass to the great and the good,
    To a wonderful community from around the world,
    My Fellow Fasters I love you all….

And a Happy New Year to every single one of you. May 2019 bring you all you wish for.

And @shinything Iโ€™m so glad youโ€™ve finally seen your murmuration. Isnโ€™t it so cool?!

A big thank you to @michelinme for hosting over the festive period.

Happy new year everyone.

Day 31, London, UK, NFD

I’m out to lunch today, maybe Thai, maybe Italian, whichever, it’ll be a NFD to end the year.

@michelinme, thanks for hosting us this month …………. Deadly December is always the ultimate challenge for me!!! I haven’t quite nailed it yet, I’m still learning!!!

Final results will be posted tomorrow …………. I can’t wait for the January challenge, like you @daffodil2010, I’m craving the simplicity of FDs!!! I NEED routine!!!

@debster251, thank-you, the poem was apt & very beautiful……… I’m ready!!

See you all next year!!!!

Last day of 2018, NSW, Australia
    ~ 9pm Monday

๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽถ๐ŸŽ†Wishing each and every one of you a wonderful New Year’s Eve celebration and hope 2019 will be everything you wish for. Enjoy your tomorrow, then every day after. Love to all you special people & thank you for all your support and understanding in 2018.๐Ÿ’–๐ŸŽถ xx

Make that 10 pm xx

Day 31 – UK – NFD

Happy New Year’s Eve!

Managed to hold out last night and complete my B2B FDs to finish this December Challenge on a high note and my weight this morning is 54kg – right bang in the middle of my acceptable range of 53-55kg. So despite no fasting since 18/12 until this weekend and much feasting and ๐Ÿท๐Ÿฅ‚ consumed – a strong 2 day fast sees me ending the year in my happy place and starting my 3rd year in maintenance – YAY for this WOL! ๐Ÿ’ƒ Broke my fast with a walk into the village and had brunch with OH

@michelinme – Enjoy your gift to yourself of 3 days of self care – no emails, phone calls, family or friends but a complete break from everything. THANK YOU ๐Ÿ’for hosting the challenging December month and wishing you a very Happy New Year and hope to see you in the January Challenge xx
    @shinything – what a wonderful treat of nature – to see a starling murmuration of that scale and even though it was not a FD I’m pretty sure it was a CD so ๐Ÿ‘
    @annemarilyn – A lovely festive memory for you of your Mum singing along – Family โค๏ธ
    @matpi – good to hear that you are starting to recover from that infection and managing to complete your Day 30 FD ๐Ÿค—
    @daffodil2010 – OH and I are having homemade curry tonight too (fish and prawns for us) and there will definitely be bubbly for me – I will try to have a CD ๐Ÿคž
    @debster251 – Thank you for sharing that poem again as a great reminder ๐Ÿฅ‚to you for a wonderful 2019!

It’s been a wonderful year sharing with everyone over this past year on the monthly challenges – having a global family that offers support, guidance and makes us laugh and enjoy the small victories with no judgement – Thank you all for sharing in 2018 ๐Ÿค—๐Ÿค—๐Ÿค—

This evening whether you are at home with your loved ones, at a party or having an evening on your own enjoying the peace and quiet; enjoy your celebrations tonight seeing out the old year and ushering in the new one. Let the old year end and the New Year begin with the warmest of aspirations. Happy New Year!

Day 31 USA (Utah visiting) FD or CD

Enjoy your New Year’s Eve celebrations, everyone! Mine will be quite simple but that’s okay.

@debster251 – I didn’t remember that poem from last year. How brilliant! You’re quite a word crafter.

@shinything – oh my! What a starling fest! Generally I dislike the starlings eating up all my bird seed and suet, scaring off the littler songbirds, but a sight like that one would be amazing to see. I had to look up RSPB (I guessed the “R” was Royal something, but Society for the Protection of Birds is wonderful.) Thank you so much for enlightening me!

Here’s to the end of another great year in our WOL. Hugs to you all, and Happy New Year!

Onward and downward. Gwynne

Day 31 Wales ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ท๓ ฌ๓ ณ๓ ฟ NFD

End of month weigh in this morning and only 2 pounds up and still within my maintenance weight range so Iโ€™m delighted with my first Christmas of 5:2 maintenance ๐Ÿ˜Š. Thank you everyone for being here as your company kept me mindful……I enjoyed some festive treats but didnโ€™t go daft like previous years.

@michelinme thank you for herding us so excellently through the silly season ๐Ÿ’

Happy New Year, see you all in January โค๏ธ

Day 31, Rocky Mountains, US, NFD

Bringing elderly friends some pizza and cookies this afternoon. We are celebrating New Year’s in Austria as one of my elderly friends is Viennese just like me. Pizza at 2pm, Austrian New Year toast at 4pm here. Before pizza DH and I will walk to get to our 10.000 steps or more.
    Tomorrow back on the wagon!๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š

@michelinme: Thank you for hosting dangerous December! ๐Ÿ’

Wishing you all a Happy and Healthy New Year 2019! ๐ŸŽ‰๐Ÿพ๐ŸŽˆ

USA Day 31 FD

Again, I want to thank michelinme for hosting the very difficult to diet in month of December! ๐Ÿ™‚
    I also want to wish everyone a very happy new year and may all your wishes for the year come true!

In the meantime, although I will be toasting in the New Year, I am on a FD again (but not a water FD). I will be eating only a salad on a 16:8 regimen, leaving room for that toast. Then I will join Daffodil2010 with a dry to Friday regimen! I seem to lose more weight by not drinking. I think I am very carb sensitive!

Have a wonderful New Year’s evening, everyone!

Day 31 UK NFD

Feverish last night after lovely hot bath and earlier night, slept fitfully &woke dopey sore throat and headache. T’was ever thus with days off!

Finished the festive food today, so will be starting New Year with narry a carb in the house -phew! After my carbtastic Christmastide I’m almost 5lbs up & hoping it’s easy on/easy off!

Looking back to 1 January 2018 I’m reminded I was 30lb heavier, hadn’t had restorative sleep in 20years – except under general anaesthetic!- &knew so little about nutritional needs/ my body’s responses to foods.

Hugely thankful for all your encouragement, wit & wisdom on the journey this year, and looking forward to learning alongside you in 2019.

“For all that has been, thanks; for all that shall be, yes”

Day 31: Gloucestershire, UK: NFD
    @michelinme: Hope you’re feeling better by now. Thanks for being a great host xx

Happy New Year everybody. See you the January Challenge and 2019…

Day 31 Minnesota, USA NFD
    Happy New Year’s Eve and New Years to everyone!

@michelinme…Thank you for hosting during this difficult holiday season. You have been encouraging, sympathetic, inspiring and gracious throughout!

OMG!! I have just lost three paragraphs!

Long story short……Company is gone. Big sigh of relief.

The last couple weeks were wonderfully fun. But, I’m feeling physically awful because of the way I’ve eaten for two weeks. I hope that’s it, anyway. Relieved to get back to basic 5:2, at the very least. Must set example for DH who is now diabetic. Up about 1.4 lbs (half Kg?) from starting weight of 154….now 155.4. At mid December I was at 152, so kind of sad that I couldn’t hold on.

@debster251….Thank you for the poem, it really says it all. I love this forum and all of the wonderful, caring people that participate!
    @songbird….I felt ill yesterday, and watching your Bears slaughter my Vikings was something I shouldn’t have stayed out of bed for, but I did. I’ll be cheering for the Bears going forward. They are great to watch, and I remember how wonderful they were in my youth. I hope they can go all the way!!

@shinything…..on Nov. 6, 1971 I went on a school trip to a place in midwest USA called De Soto Bend. It’s a park closed at that time of year but open to school field trips. It’s a place where thousands and thousands of migratory birds stop to eat and rest before going on south.
    It remains one of the most wondrous things I’ve ever seen, though I was 14 at the time. The sky was filled with swooping, flying birds, so many of every kind, sometimes even blocking the light. This, in an area around the Missouri river, and so, a lot of open sky. Sadly, I’ve been there again in the last 10 years. The numbers of birds are not at all the same. They say it can vary year by year. But it was less by thousands. The skies were not full like they had been back in the early ’70’s. Sad for my grandkids.

Have a great New Year’s celebration, and see you in January!

Day 31 Newcastle Australia NFD 66.5kg
    I have dropped off the face of the earth through illness & managing my family after my husbands surgery.
    However I just wanted to say a HUGE thank you for letting me lurk in this forum and read your ever encouraging posts. Deadly December (love that phrase!) has see me end less than I started and while I didnโ€™t shed anything amazing, the fact that I am not the usual 2kg heavier is some kind of minor miracle. I was sick a few days and did what you guys have been calling a water fast. This seemed so effective for me iโ€™m Going to try to continue 5:2 with at least one water fast a week. Eek, Working on how I can keep motivated through a whole 24 hours! But itโ€™s that or alternate day fasting so Iโ€™ll give it a go.
    So thank you, Happy New Year and if this turns into a January journey Iโ€™d love to hang around.

Day 31 second post

Thank you all so much for the lovely thanks ๐Ÿ™‚ It’s a pleasure to host, and definitely helps accountability if not self-control!

NB If you’ve been around a few months and got the hang of 5:2 basics do have a go at hosting. You don’t have to know everything, or answer everything on your own; and if spreadsheets aren’t your thing, there’s always someone happy to help by setting that up. I did it for the first time in May and learnt so much – maybe think about hosting?

@shinything love love love the sound of your murmuration expedition. I’m going to see if I can find a way to do likewise

@sunn_beam great to hear from you – and yay for ending December without a gain! WFD are wonderful – I’m definitely going to be aiming to have one a week in 2019. @at will be hosting the January challenge which you can find at this link – see you there! https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/new-year-new-start-january-2019-challenge/#post-275414

January 1st

Happy New Year everyone!

Starting weight December 1st: 56.9 kg/125.4lbs, final weight 57.8 kg/127.4lbs, not too bad after all the feasting I did last month.

@michelinme thanks again for being such a lovely host!

January 1st
    Happy New Year! Started the 5:2 WOL at the end of November, and by the end of December, have lost 2.5 kg (5.5lb) – not as much as I’d hoped, but a lot better than losing nothing at this very “dietarily” fraught time of year.

@michelinme, hope the infection clears enough that you can enjoy at least part of your holiday healthy!!! Wow! A loss of 30 lbs over the past 12 months – hope that’s my story for 2019!!!

In fact, my hope for everyone in 2019 is weight loss and healthy maintenance!!! See you in the next challenge.

Day 31 – USA – NFD

Final weigh in 152.2, 1.4 lbs. over where I started in the beginning of the month. Lost 1 inch in measurements also and I’m still at a comfy US size 12 in everything. Been working a lot at my new p/t job, but I make time to read every post because of the solidarity I’ve come to expect and enjoy from being part of this forum for almost 2 yrs now.

Know that my heart reacts to every post, but alas, my fingers do not! I’ll try to begin anew in 2019 with solid FDs per week, even if it’s just 1 day. Happy New Year to all, and see you in 2019! Thank you, @michelinme for your deep and thoughtful posts, and for overseeing December, a very trick month for 5:2ers!

Jan 1st
    Happy New Year everyone! Thank you for your wonderful company in 2018.
    December end weight is exactly the same as the start weight, 77.3kg. Now hope to get quickly into routine again and make January a great month! Last year it was a week into January before I managed a good FD, so this time I will be extra careful โ€ฆ ๐Ÿšซ๐Ÿ‰

@michelinme โ€“ thank you for being a wonderful host for the holiday season๐ŸŒผ Enjoy your time off and get well soon!

Viewing 48 posts - 651 through 698 (of 698 total)

You must be logged in to reply.