HELP! All ladies of a 'certain age'-please respond

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
HELP! All ladies of a 'certain age'-please respond

This topic contains 7,289 replies, has 660 voices, and was last updated by  Opal Shine 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 4,201 through 4,250 (of 7,330 total)

• This thread is such an inspiration to a jaded old ex-piggy (well, I’m still a piggy, but I’m hoping to be an ex- by this time next year)! Hello all you France-based Fasters. I am one of your number, contending not only with menopause, a life time of weight problems, but French bureaucracy too!

I had a few false starts with intermittent fasting but finally accepted the fact that unless I make this a way of life, my weight is headed in only one direction – up! While I’m a veteran fatty from birth (I think I was ‘thin’ for about 3 days after a starvation diet when I was a teenager), I have put on 18kg (that’s nearly 3 stone in old money) over the past 14 years.

I’m into my third week of IF, and have plateau’d already but at this stage I’m not losing heart because I know that I only have two choices – IF or end up as one of those people who have to be craned out of my house because I no longer fit through the door!

2.5kg down and 20 to go!

Hello Ex-piggy
    Welcome.
    You have a combination of realism and humour. Both very important for IF.
    Patience you learn from French bureaucracy.
    So you can’t not lose (=can lose)
    I started the IF in July with about 30kg to lose. I have lost about 16kg.
    We all plateau on this, but the benefit of feeling so well even though we are not losing all we want keeps us focused.
    I am on ADF and I eat no carbs on FD. In fact very little sugar at all ever and few carbs even on non-fast days.
    There are veterans on this forum who will help.
    I am not in France at present, but in NZ where I came from originally.
    Talk very soon.
    Wiwi

Hi Ex Piggy

You sound like great fun!

As you will have read then, I have an up and down experience on ADF but have lost an average of a pound a week. I’m not as good as Wiwi I’m afraid and am still struggling with sugar cravings on non-fast days and I unfailingly give in to them! My permanent mantra is ‘to be better tomorrow’, and I do try.

I’m off on Monday (from France) to Belgium, then to the UK for Christmas and then to Sri Lanka (to do some volunteer work) in January for three months. So I’ll be back in France at the end of April.

Good luck and stick with it – as I’ve said before, it’s bound to work eventually!

Happy Christmas and a slimmer New Year for all of us! (If I don’t manage to get on here again before then).

Best wishes
    Slimmersylv

Thank you, tagatawiwi and Slimmersylv for your encouragement. Wow, Tangatawiwi – 16kg? That’s wonderful. You must be be feeling fantastic and I’m really jealous!

I was pondering the things that we ex-pat ladies of a certain age with a few extra lumps and bumps might have in common. How about, in addition to a tolerant loathing of French bureaucracy: a wardrobe of clothes ranging in size from 10 – 22; a house in France that was, or still is, part building-site (because we thought it would be nice to buy a wreck and transform it into something beautiful – ha, what fools we were!).

Then, I thought, how about actually running a little fun survey to find out how much we have in common! I’ve set up a survey. It’s entirely anonymous and meant only for a bit of fun. It’s not only for France-based expats, it is for all us ladies of a certain age. If enough people play, I’ll post the results in around a month. So, paste this link into your browsers, my fellow menopausal madams (or peri/post-menopausal madams), and let’s see how much we have in common!! https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/PXQHB2L

Good morning! I am not from France, but definitely of a “certain age” at 64! I just ran across your thread and am enjoying it! I started 5:2 on December 8. I weighed in this morning and am down 3 pounds! Sorry… I am from the U.S. and still think in terms of “pounds”! I never thought I could fast! I tried several years ago and failed. After watching “Eat Fast and Live Longer” I became excited about, not just weight loss, but ALL the benefits of this way of life! I read Michael & Mimi’s book and jumped right in! Last week I fasted on Mon. and Wed. This week, I decided to “jump start” my weight loss and fasted both Sun. and Mon. I feel so proud of myself for having the control to succeed! I don’t have much weight to lose. I have already lost about 20 pounds on Weight Watchers, but have been stalled for several months. I would like to lose another 8 pounds. More important are the other health benefits! I have been lucky enough to be healthy all my life and other than being on meds for slightly high cholesterol and an underactive thyroid, I am in pretty good shape! I want to maximize my health so I will be around for a long time to enjoy my life and my grandkids! Enough about me! I will definitely take your survey! Have an amazing day!!

Good for you! I can never do two days one after the other. I do alternate days usually. Although at the moment I am with friends in Belgium, so it will be hard for a few days to curb the eating!
    I tend to be an ‘all or nothing’ type of person and so fasting is OK, but if I can’t fast, then I tend to completely OTT the other way! I must try harder this time.
    Good luck with your goals.
    Slimmersylv.
    XxX

Hi Brenda. You’re brave and strong willed to do two days back to back! I tell myself I’m going to give it a try, but as we all know the spirit is willing…etc. etc.!

Thank you to those who have completed the little survey so far, including our American partners.

I’m surprised by some of the results; inspired by some of them; and comforted to know that I have so many fellow warriors, each doing solo battle with the menopausal bulge. Any more want to do the survey, here it is: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/PXQHB2L

In the meantime, have a lovely Christmas break, ladies – or happy holidays, if you prefer. Hope you’re all with family and have a great time.

Bonjour and apologies for neglecting everyone for so long! Been a busy and partly a difficult few weeks. I’ve been to-ing and fro-ing from Burgundy to the UK to help care for my ex who had heart bypass surgery in mid-November. All going well now.

At the moment I am in France preparing to go back to the UK on Tuesday, where we shall all be together for the first time in years which I am so looking forward to. And it will be the first time that my two petites filles and petit fils will be all together – it will be interesting!

I’m also looking forward to seeing one of England’s great Christmas traditions – a pantomime – Cinderella at Wimbledon, and we are taking Chloe who is 4; the last time I went was with my two when they were young, I think it was Babes In The Wood and starred the late, great comedian Les Dawson, and the handsome John Nettles (Bergerac and Midsomer Murders).

I shall not comment on how the FD has been going, but let’s say I will be back in 2015 with great enthusiasm.

I wish you all a lovely Christmas wherever you are in the world, and wish for greater peace for us all in 2015.

A bientot
    Femme x

Hope you have a lovely time Femme! I’m in the uk now too.

I’ll be with you in 2015 – just GOTTA lose 30 pounds for my daughter’s wedding in August!

Happy Christmas all!

love, Slimmersylv
    XxX

Just returned from the UK; and I can confirm that the London underground is a hotbed of lurgy and disease. I’ve returned to la belle France with an honest to goodness bout of flu. However, being a sharing sort of person, I passed some off to the light of my life, my other half. He is singularly ungrateful, mind you but I just felt I couldn’t keep it all to myself.

Going through some of the answers to the little survey I posted up (thank you to all who have responded so far), a couple of the free text answers touched a nerve, and I thought I’d just share one with you in the run up to Christmas. In response to the question, what diets have you tried in your life, you will be unsurprised to hear that nearly 70% of us have been on Weight Watchers, Slimming World or similar ‘community based’ diets. Just over 40% have done low/no carbs. But the answers which brought a tear to the eye were the couple of ladies who mentioned that they had been on the ‘heartbreak diet’ (and one of them still is). I’m sure many of us have been there. A loved partner has betrayed our trust; or a loved one is lost to some disabling disease or even death and we’re so paralysed with grief, the weight somehow just pours off us, regardless of how much we eat. Personally, I would rather be elephantine than go through the heartbreak regime again but to the lady who is going through it now, so close to Christmas, I don’t know the circumstances causing your heart break, love, but my heart goes out to you. I hope that you find some comfort and I’m sure the rest of the ladies on this forum will join me in thinking lots of pink thoughts on your behalf. At the risk of sounding platitudinous, all I can say is, be strong. It will pass.

My sympathies as well, to the poor lady who has lost her job and is struggling financially. A horrible thing to happen at this time of the year. I hope your circumstances change really soon.

Hello fellow fasters
    Did my first fast yesterday. It was ok had 3 coffees with sugar, 1 main meal low calorie, and a couple of dry biscuits. Found myself looking at the clock a lot. Started to feel quite hungry about 4 pm. I kept myself occupied and actually got more accomplished on my day off than usual. It’s interesting how my day is oriented around food and much of my pleasure is derived from eating. Even though I kept myself busy the day dragged and I was very time oriented.
    Physically today however I felt rather good I didn’t have any indigestion or bloating. I think my body thanked me for fasting. I will do it again on Thursday

I feel if I get any bigger I will get diabetes. I dont want that to happen

Hello ExPiggy, I like your posts. I am just piggy atm, it’s the time of year when a good red wine is far stronger than me and takes me by the neck ( and head and heart ) and forces itself upon me. Devil get behind me I keep saying, but I’m bl..dy useless. So, I am going to enjoy, enjoy and start with gusto on the 2nd of January. I’ve done the 5:2 before with great results albeit slow and steady, so I’m heartened by the fact that it is doable and successful when one is fully committed. I’m going through the menop. and constantly feel as though I’ll die without a sniff of carb. I’m a bit of an apple and know this isn’t a good shape both in look or health. I’d like to wish you luck and that I’ll be on the wagon soon with you all. It’s a great forum, thank you.

I,m a new member of the ‘ladies of a certain age’ club and plan to start my 1st fast tomorrow. I,ve also struggled with hormones, menlpause symtoms and weight gain in the last 2 years. Although i,m not too overweight i feel terrible and hardly eat much and stay the same weight. So frustrating my body does not feel the same. I,m impressed how all the ladies have managed to lose weight. I was fit as fiddle , no high blood pressure or too over weight and 2 years ago i had a stroke for no apparent reason. So my motivation is too now be the fittest i can be and new year new start!! Fingers crossed and give it a go. I,m excited to start and really hope it helps. Here goes….

Hi Fatstar and Lorriloo – as two newbies to the fasting WOL I wish you both luck and hope you get rewards from this WOL which will keep you motivated to continue.
    Personally I’m struggling at the moment, being with friends and family for the festive season! But yesterday I took over the kitchen and made two big saucepans of veg soup – so I’m going to do my best just to eat that today (which will be my first fast day since leaving France on 15th December). But I don’t appear to have gained weight – which is fab, considering what I’ve eaten (and drunk – Finjane – I get you!). Once I get to Sri Lanka (13th January) and am in charge of my own kitchen again, I can get back at it. In the meantime, I’ll do my best and hopefully won’t gain before I can get back to regularly fasting every other day.
    Take care everyone – be KIND to yourselves.
    Slimmersylv

Hi, I’ve just started IF today. After having gained 7 kilos in the past year, I thought it was time to do something about it, otherwise I’m going to end up HUGE (and probably diabetic). It’s 4pm now in Sydney, Australia and so far so good. Did have some hunger late morning, but all okay now. Not sure how I’ll feel at bedtime! This isn’t too much of a problem while I’m on holidays from work, but not sure how I’ll go when I’m back at the office. Hopefully I’ll be used to it by then and things will be fine. I’m 51 and peri/menopausal and I’m sure this is the reason for the weight gain. It’s nice to know this is a common problem!
    Lizziemarg

Hi lizziemarg
    Just wondering if you are doing a whole day fast without eating anything. I’ve done 2 fasts this week. I missed breakfast and lunch but had a small dinner. Nothing has happened on the scales though I think my body has thanked me for not eating. I do feel a bit better.

Hi Fatstar, by the end of the day I will have eaten food equivalent to 500 calories. Didn’t eat breakfast, just had a coffee at morning tea. 1 egg for lunch with some cheese and tomato and same for dinner with some salad. Drank lots of water and peppermint tea! I’m feeling really good at the moment. I’ll have some blueberries with a couple of spoonfuls of yoghurt later on tonight. It will be interesting to see if anything happens with my weight this week. I’ll do a fast day again on Monday. Hopefully you will see the scales moving down soon! Did you get hungry on your fast days?

Hello Finjan, Lizziemarg and all the regulars. For no real reason, I’m a really happy piggy today. Thanks to the lurgy over Christmas, OH and I had a sumptuous Christmas lunch comprised of a small hunk of cheese. My energy levels put cooking beyond me and our appetite put eating more than that beyond us both. Anyway, my weigh-in this morning showed me a weight that I haven’t seen in around 4 years; I hopped onto the strider and did 30 mins exercise; I had a lovely shower and now I feel ready to take on the world. The ache in my knees seems to be subsiding and I feel ‘lumpy’ rather than ‘lumpen’ (a vast improvement).

Just a little note of comfort for all you ‘apples’ out there. Be really grateful, apple ladies, for your wonderful slim legs. I’m speaking to you as the classic pear shape (no matter how ‘thin’ I’ve been, my short dumpy legs ensure that I always look stocky). No matter how plump you apples get, you can always draw the beholder’s eye away from the lumpy bits to those gorgeous legs. And as we journey through menopause, our waists thicken, regardless of who we are (greater balance of testosterone), so even pears start looking a little blocky…but YOU, beautiful apples, will always have those enviable legs!

Bonjour from Burgundy – I’m back on the FD, which I have neglected for some time; lots of valid excuses but now is the time to launch back in.

My first FD was on Jan 1 (conveniently a Thursday) and I managed it well. I weighed myself yesterday and was delighted to see I had dropped 3 lbs – I realise that having gained some weight recently this was to be expected, but nevertheless it was a boost.

It’s amazing how a simple comment or quip (this time from my son) can cut to the ‘quick’, especially if it rings true. We were enjoying our traditional Christmas lunch and generally chatting when he came out with the comment that ‘I look more like Gran Green than ever these days’ (Gran Green being my late mum). I just laughed the comment off secretly agreeing with him. What with the weight gain (around 3 stones since moving to France), and I have to say not taking as much care with my appearance since living in the heart of the countryside, he is right. When I got back I found a photograph of mum at my age and apart from her permed hair (so fashionable at one time for ladies of a certain age) yes that could be me! I had already vowed to get back onto the 5:2 but his comment certainly spurred me on.

I have a busy week ahead looking after my ‘grandgirls’ but will try and catch up with all the posts and get back into the swing of regularly posting.

All the best to all LOACA and let’s do it together.

A bientot
    Femme

Hi Femme Anglaise and all the other femmes “of a certain age” I am 56 yrs old and Femme Australia. It is 3.30 am here in Aus and I am on night shift (a midwife). I have just completed my first day and I am so excited to have my motivation up and after reading the Fast Diet book I am so glad to finally be embarking on this plan that really does make sense. I am hoping that my short stature, plumpish menopausal body does respond well. It is great to have this blog available for support too and I look forward to sharing some good news with weight loss and improvement in health as time goes on. We are going to Byron Bay beach in 3 weeks for holidays so that is my immediate goal. My son has also commented on how I could look after myself better. It’s amazing what impact that has on us! Good luck everyone!!

Dear Ex-Piggy,
    As I am a classic apple shape I thank you from the bottom of my heart. I have always envied your pears for looking so slim from the waist up. My once fabulously skinny legs are deteriorating however! So lets hope the 5:2 and a bit more exercise can whip them into shape again! None of us are perfect so we must emphasise our best bits. Well done and keep up the good work!

Dear Ex-Piggy,
    As I am a classic apple shape I thank you from the bottom of my heart. I have always envied you pears for looking so slim from the waist up. My once fabulously skinny legs are deteriorating however! So lets hope the 5:2 and a bit more exercise can whip them into shape again! None of us are perfect so we must emphasise our best bits. Well done and keep up the good work!

Hello, selfhealth (and regulars) – wow a midwife…such a worthy way to earn a living! Moi? I’m a veteran (electronic) paper shuffler.

Somebody once said to me: If you were told that for every 5lbs you gained, you would have one finger cut off, I can guarantee you, you wouldn’t lose a single finger. The moral of the story is finding the right incentive or motivation (and I guess the threat of having a finger amputated every time one gains weight is quite an incentive!) is the key to any successful venture. On a less drastic level, if that incentive is the well-meaning albeit hurtful remarks of a loved one, which drives one to achieving a healthy weight, so be it!

On a slightly different tack, I’d be curious to hear from fellow fasters on the subject of insulin resistance. Over the past couple of years, since peri and menopause, I’ve had a nasty sense that I had become increasingly insulin resistant. My weight was headed one way (up) despite the fact that I was averaging a quite respectable 1400 – 1600 cals a day, and I found maintaining any loss profoundly difficult.

Around 3 weeks into fasting, I had the distinct sense that my insulin sensitivity was improving. I don’t have the empirical stats to prove it but there seems to be a definite shift in the way my metabolism is working. I’ve lost 6kgs (13lbs) (with about 15kg [34lbs] more to go); I don’t stint on non-fast days but I seem to be able to maintain my weight loss without any trouble (very unusual phenomenon compared to the last 3 years). Did you more experienced menop IF’ers experience this? I presume one can expect it to become harder as one gets closer to goal?

Yes thats exactly right piggy. I speak as a post menopausal 53 year old who couldnt loose weight to save my life (literally) before I tried the 5;2. Now after 10 months of the 5;2 my metabolic rate is in tip top condition. In fact, I admit that I pig out regularly on non fast days and I still loose a bit of weight. I suspect that like you I was somewhat insulin resistant previously. I have now lost over 2 stone and I am now more or less at maintenance. About 6 weeks ago I did hit a long plateau but I cured it by going on the 4;3 for a while. I love this system!!!

H all
    I am a newbie and started the 5:2 yesterday.Have had a couple of false starts before but as I am a “lady of a certain age” it was time. Have the common age issue of High BP and being overweight its not helping. So losing weight is something that I can change .
    These posts are a great “read” I was wondering how the diet goes for those over 50.
    I am a 52 year old Aussie.I am combining the fast diet with HIIT (really trying to did first session today) and work mates doing the 10000 step challenge. So really no reason not to get moving .
    Just one question in the fast exercise book there is a section on Glucose tolerance test . Did mine yesterday and not sure that the results are OK can anyone give me some indication good or bad or wait and see. Not asking for a diagnosis as I know that cant be given but any information or possibly advise would be great. Not overly concerned just curious.

Hope someone can help

Base line 5.2 mmol/L
    1 hour 5.1 mmol/L
    2 hours 4.3 mmol/L
    carbohydrate came from 240 gms of potato.

I have been doing the fast diet since September – mind you a few weeks over Christmas i didn’t do it and feel terrible so back fasting today. I have lost 13kg and changed shape -so am very happy. I am peri menopausal and was wondering if anybody else has experienced not having hot flushes anymore – it took me awhile to work out they had gone – unsure if its the fast diet but disappeared when I started it ??I do have a fitbit and walk 20 000 steps each day so I do think the exercise helps

Hi Kindle, Rancidveg (oooo! Were you having an offday when you named yourself?) and Broomstick,

Kindle, you’re a gem – just the kind of success story to keep an old ex-piggy like me on track.

Rancidveg: On a completely different track…remember when we sent our sun down your way in June? It’s cold up here in the northern hemisphere…so time to send it back our way. Hope you took care of it while it was in your half of the world! Maybe a medical person (Selfhealth?) can confirm, but over the years of editing med papers, I believe the normal range is 4 – 8, with readings at either end meaning you have to start paying attention, so you’re doing fine.

Broomstick, I’m 57 this year. My periods stopped two years ago and I can’t be sure whether I had hot flushes or not, i.e. if I did, they were so mild I couldn’t be sure whether I was having them or not. I guess everybody is different. Oh…and by the way, that sun you’ve been keeping for us…see my appeal to Rancidveg.

Have a lovely day, ladies. Finished a fast yesterday, so today is PIGGY day (oh rapture! When it’s cold, fasting can be a trial!)

Morning all
    Hope everyone is fine.Day Three for me and feel a little off, like some rancidveg or a 95 year old woman !I am sure that this will pass as my body gets use to the program.
    Ex-piggy you can have the sun ,its been over 35 degrees C for the last few days and we are in for a few more days of the same. I love the cold .No really,I Love the Aussie winter.I do believe that I was born in the wrong hemisphere.
    Broomstick thanks for your post ..there is hope for peri menopausal women!
    This is a non fast day using MFP to track my food and water in take.

Have a great day all

Morning all,
    On the subject of hot flushes and other delights around menopause, I would be interested to hear if anybody else experienced what I did. I didn’t have hot flushes (I think), but I would take them any day, over what I DID experience.

I developed what I can only call nocturnal hives. The doctor said it was an allergy, but I know for sure it wasn’t. The itches would begin at night – in my armpits and around my groin. The palms of my hands and soles of my feet burned as if they were on fire (they weren’t red or rashed, but the pain was harsh). Eventually, the problem worsened into the hives rash on my legs. In the morning, all the symptoms would disappear as if they had never been (except the palm/sole pain), only to start up again in the evening.

Eventually, after many months of being so distressed I was contemplating something ‘tragic’, I discovered Ceterizine anti-histamines and managed to control the symptoms just enough to get a good night’s sleep by taking one every evening. I still occasionally get the beginnings of the itches at night, but this is now under control with 1 – 2 ceterizines per week. I just dread the return of the palm and sole burn but I’m hoping that in my post-menop state, it won’t.

Anybody else with unusual things happening during the peri and menop?

Hi everyone. I am also a newbie to this diet, started Monday. I am also of a certain age and am blaming the menopause for weighing the most I have ever done. I have the usual holiday incentive and hope this will hope me lose weight. Today is my first fast day and so leaving breakfast for as late in the morning as possible. My main problem with the menopause symptoms is the lack of sleep which isn’t helped by an empty tummy. The comments on this forum are incouraging and I hope this will help me stick to ‘The Plan’ .
    Thank you for reading my story.

Oh I so know what you’re talking about. It’s so hard for us because the fat is so much more difficult to move and it’s so disheartening, this will be my 2nd attempt at this diet, last time I just gave up after only losing 2lbs in 8 weeks, I still don’t know what went wrong but I’m going to try again, we can do this!

I must say menopause is rather disgusting. I’m still getting the odd period- I think I’m finished won’t have one for months and then I get one. I’m quite irritable at times. I get tired . Im also more hungry than ever before – which is just wonderful. My thyroid is on the low end of normal and I look in the mirror and I don’t like what I see. However at 50 I’m not that concerned with it either. If being fat didn’t have any health issues to go with it I’d be pretty happy with it. I’m getting a bit of stiffness in my joints as well and the extra weight is not helping.
    I’m doing my 2 days tomorrow and hopefully the next day. See how i go this week

Hi Fatstar, I am exactly the same as you in every way, 50, menopausal, achy joints, odd periods etc. Started fasting this week, lost couple of pounds so far so feeling good. Tomorrow next fast day. Let me know how you get on?

Hi all
    This is day 4 fast day ,so I am trying to keep busy.Feelin good today.
    This year has turned out to be a year of firsts.First for fast diet and for quite a while I have been reflecting on my hair colour …do I colour or do I let it go. Unfortunately I am one who started going grey very early so after 20 yrs of keeping up the colour I have decided to let it GO.
    Hairdresser friend came over yesterday and my mousey brown is no more! All colour gone and replaced with well grey.
    Still GASPING ( add expletive here ) at the change ! Kind of nice but still having difficulty recognizing myself in the mirror.
    Not sure how the work mates will go I suspect that I will get some ribbing at first then it should die down.( better get on Facebook and warn them I think !)
    Has anyone else made the transition …if so how did you manage it ?
    Anyway that’s what has been happening in my world small as it may be BUT change is good.
    Have a great day everyone

Hi rancidveg,
    So funny I have had all my hair cut off and stopped colour but it has only been 1 week and haven’t been working or seeing many people as its too hot to do a thing. So can’t really tell you how I am going to cope but am sick of colouring it – Im on an eat day as have a friends coming for lunch but will be fasting tomorrow – I fast till 5pm now – never thought I could do that but I do then have a coffee and fruit about 7.30pm and its working for me well has done for the last 3 fasts. Keep busy and don’t think about the fast and drink plenty of water – I probably drink about 31/2 litres on my fast days good luck

Hi Broomstick
    Damn you’re brave .I thought of doing that but decided against it just too chicken I guess.I now believe that there can never be too much grey in the world !
    Day four and I am a little dizzy . I have had porridge for breakfast and a small milk coffee mid morning then dinner around 6.30pm. Does that sound OK any advice would be welcome.
    Good tip about the water …has always been an issue for me .
    Off to guzzle a couple of glass.

Hi rancidveg,
    oh my only advice for fasting days is stick to small amount of protein and lots of vegetables. I don’t eat breakfast as I look for food all day then and I am trying to drop my fruit on fast days. I walk about 90 minutes active walking each day too which I think is a key element as well. I am fasting today all I have had this morning is water and a black coffee – I drink latte normally but on fast days I drink it black – better black than none thats for sure. Hope your fast day went ok

Hi everyone
    Broomstick thanks for the advice.Wow 90 mins walk that takes some effort
    My fast day went fairly well,I will try the protein in small amounts . I am finding on the fast days I am really “foggy” functioning BUT “foggy”. Its early days yet so I am sure that its my body just getting use to the “deprivation”
    Non fast day today, sitting here with my egg white omelet ( ohh yumm) surrounded by pets looking for tid bits.
    Haven’t broken the news to them that those days are over,nothing is going to fall off this plate.
    Doing around 7000 steps which for me is real good …its a start and I am sure that I’ll get to the consistent 10000. Have few issues with my back ,moving is good,as my weight goes down I am sure that it will get easier.

Wish you all a great day the weekend is near!

Hi rancidveg, Katser12 and May1st and everyone else,
    Was wondering how your fast days went ? I did mine yesterday and did really well. I had 2 black coffee in the morning and went to the movies at lunchtime and had a diet coke – then ate my meal at 6.30pm and had a latte full fat milk. Haven’t walked this morning as very hungry and its raining so had a coffee and then will walk which is a shame not to have exercised in the fasting state but you can’t win them all. I am finding I think because of Christmas that I am picking on my non fast days and I have been very strict with myself to only eat 3 times a day so going to try today and not pick in-between meals as I think its a killer for weight. Anyway good luck to you all – let me know how your days have gone

Morning
    Glad the fast day is over . Just getting use to the “dizzy” effect. Have to say I look towards my non fast day BUT not eating as much. Tracking with MFP and I thought I would blow the 2000 cals ,not the case .I am at the mark or a little below .
    Not going to weigh yet just measure at this stage . Looking forward to second week ,I’ll be back at work so it should be easier keeping away from food.
    No wait I work with a lot of women who are “feeders”! They are all great cooks but it gets out of hand.I’ll have to think on a strategy for the “feeders” so as not to offend !
    The weather has gone cold YEAH so should get the 10000 steps today ,puppies will love the walk I am sure .
    Monday is my next fast !

Hi all
    The fast day was hard ….got to 900 cal instead of the 500 which I find a ghard grind .The following day isnt too bad i feel lesss hungry so not getting too upset

Hi,
    well if you read the book he says to do just what you did – and 900 Cal is far less than a normal day so don’t worry. I love his attitude in the book – if you had way through a fast day and you can’t do it eat you own this way of life not here diet – so well done and keep going. I fasted yesterday so eating today and finding it hard to squeeze another fast day this week as still on holidays so no routine – but who cares. Have a good day everyone what ever day you on

Hi all, I am 52 yr old newbie. I have just started, (last Monday) and to kick off have turned it around so am ‘fasting’ (sticking to approx 500 cals) for 4 weekdays mon-thurs and eating normally at the weekend. Yes I feel hungry during the week, but I eat a lot of fruit and that keeps the grumbling tummy quiet.

I have been really strict with myself, and have been surprised how easy it has been so far. I haven’t really been craving all the naughtiest that had become habits, (wine, cheese, chocolate…) but so far no weight loss at all – very disappointing. I’ve been a bit encouraged by some of the comments in this thread saying how for some of us it has taken longer for the weight loss to kick in, so will definitely persevere. I don’t do much exercise except for walking my dog, which I do twice a day, so I guess that will have to come next.

Good luck all, please wish me luck!

Hi Chubby-chops,
    Wow 4 days of fasting in a row – you are a legend. I have only ever done 2 days a week and non consecutive. So all I can say is go girl and well done and good luck with it all

Thanks broom stick! I wonder if I’m not doing it right, because it doesn’t really feel like fasting. I haven’t got the book so am only going by the general principles I see on here. On ‘hungry’ days I have coffee and a small bowl of branflakes with skimmed milk for breakfast, an apple chopped up with a low fat yoghurt for lunch, and either same again or salad, soup etc for tea. I drink a lot of (fizzy) water, and that’s about it, other than fruit like a banana, some grapes, another apple for snacks. On the weekend I stuck to the same during the day but had a proper tea (pasta) and some lovely red wine!

Frustrating that still no weight loss despite this strictness. Am I doing anything wrong? Be very grateful for advice from you more experienced fasters!
    CC x

Hi Chubby chops, well done with that but I think you are trying too hard!! Are you really doing 4 fasts back to back?? Well its not necessary, and might be even dangerous, never mind ineffective!! I have read that no fast should be longer than 36 hours, but some books say 48 hours max, in order to get max benefit. Can you not try doing alternate days, if you dont want to do the 5;2? By fasting every second day you keep your body guessing, and this is what works for 99% of people. Please dont give up, just adjust to the proper schedule!! GOOD LUCK!!

My only advice would be to read the book as I find it very useful and I don’t feel I can give advice. I am doing 5:2 and have lost weight around my middle and has given me a much better shape. I do do Paleo type diet on the other days and fast days. I only eat once a day on the fast day and I find that works for me. I do exercise as I think that is also a key t it all

Hi Chubby and welcome:

Perhaps I am wrong, but reading between the lines, it sounds like you are eating ‘additional’ fruit on your diet days. This is not like WW where certain foods are not counted – calories from everything you eat must be counted on your diet days. Otherwise, it appears you are eating quite a few carbs, which cause water retention.

Here are some tips for those just starting 5:2 – they include everything you need to know to be successful on 5:2: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

Good Luck!

Morning everyone
    Started my fast day in a rush thanks to my husband turing off the alarm …GRRRR
    Still managed to do an egg white omlete and a Beetroot,strawberry,cinamon,apple and almond milk smoothie. Both were YUM and I hope they sustain me until tonight.
    Chubby Chops all the best with the 4 day fast …I dont think I would have the will power to do it! Youll have to let us know how you get on.
    Going to have a re read of the boook today just to keep on track
    Have a wonderful day everyone

Helloo I’m new. Just been watching the Horizon which is right for you. Interestingly they said as you lose weight your metabolic rate slows down so you need to eat even less in order to continue to lose weight.

Viewing 50 posts - 4,201 through 4,250 (of 7,330 total)

You must be logged in to reply.