HELP! All ladies of a 'certain age'-please respond

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
HELP! All ladies of a 'certain age'-please respond

This topic contains 7,289 replies, has 660 voices, and was last updated by  Opal Shine 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 6,551 through 6,600 (of 7,330 total)

• audreyg, … but I couldn’t resist a gin cocktail with dinner. Straight gin with fresh lemon juice. Oh well. Nevertheless, I am down a bit more today. A solid 4+ pounds in three weeks. I am thrilled. I feel so much lighter and my clothes actually fit.

Do any of you get Dr. Praeger’s veggie burgers? I had a lovely NF breakfast of a Thai veggie burger, topped with a fried egg. About 250 calories of tasty goodness.

Hi K Lo , Never heard of these burgers. Begining to look like a chicken. I am loosing but am told we loose water the first week. So maybe the 1.5 pounds less is not my fat. Will keep on plodding . Great to have others doing this too.

Audrey , what sort of step counter do have have ? I tried a couple of cheap ones but theyt were useless. I have a dog to walk too. I guess only about 30mins , sadly my husband insists on the 2 mile walk with her. No i do not go wo=ith him , glad of the peace.

Dr. Praeger is a US brand. http://www.drpraeger.com

Hi irenc

I have a fitbit pulse hr…. Ian got it me for a very early birthday present. …

Audrey

ok audrey will look at that.

Woot Audrey, what a powerhouse you are! Congratulations!

K-Lo, if you can’t give up the cocktails, you are just going to have to cut down somewhere else!
    Not that you don’t seem to be doing fine just as you are!

Hi Irenc!
    Hello everyone!

It is early here and I am making savoury corn muffins to use some of the beautiful sweet corn my sister bought from the farmers market.
    The birds are just waking up.

Hello ladies! Lots of posts to catch up on. Good to read about all of the success going on! Well done!

Rachel, a few years ago I had ballooned to 234lbs and had to have my wedding ring cut off my finger. πŸ™ I think I can now have it repaired and put back on. When I got married I was worried that it would fall off because it was so loose. Our rings were handmade by a college roommate of mine who was an art major. Dennis gave her some rings he had and she melted them down to made our wedding bands. Her own design. It’s been way too long to be without it on my finger.

You’ve all got me interested in doing some research on hrt. I’ve never been on it. When I went through menopause my symptoms were not troublesome. I’ve known other people who said their experience with menopause was almost unbearable with hot flashes, moodiness, weight gain, etc. I had hot flashes now and then and that was it. My weight gain happened in my late 30s and early 40s before menopause. I’ve read that the hormones given to cows causes some problems in women. I didn’t drink much milk at all when my kids were growing up so maybe that helped with the symptoms for me. Now the milk I drink is locally produced and raw. I buy it directly from a friend. I also read that processed soy products cause hormonal changes in children and adults. I never used any of those either.

I’ve had my 6 year old granddaughter, Lauren, with me all week. We spend a lot of time outside even though it’s been freezing (snowed a little on Monday). We went for a short bike ride twice. We’ve spent lots of time with my other granddaughters when they’re not in school. It’s too bad they don’t all have spring break at the same time. I’m getting tired out but having a blast.

I’ve been doing a 22 day challenge where we do 22 pushups each day for 22 days to raise awareness of the 22 veterans and service men and women who commit suicide every day here in the US. Pretty sad statistic. My son and daughter-in-law are active duty in the USAF and my hubby is a veteran so this sort of statistic hits close to home. Yesterday Lauren also did 22 pushups with me. She’s quite the tough little girl. Like her granny. People participating in this challenge post videos on facebook of themselves doing the pushups along with an explanation of the reason. I hope that as people become more aware of this they’ll be able to help any veterans or service folks in they know.

Today’s a fast day for me. It’s a tad more difficult with a little kid around. But I’m determined to succeed. Have a great day everyone.

Patty

hi Kris. So i need to do exercise too. Have lost 2lb my first week. Managed to give up the evening nibbles ! Off to Centre Parks tomorrow . Too expensive to eat there so daughter, a skinny minnie is bringing our food. Will get plenty exercise with one 8 year old boy and an 11 year old girl.

Hi Everyone,
    I’m also in the gang of getting plenty of exercise with my grandchild!
    Patty that 22 push up challenge is a wonderful idea, and you have certainly raised our awareness. So many things in this world need changing to look after people better!
    I hope you managed your fast day ok!

I am still super busy with life. I have started having sleep ins which have made a difference, but they fill up the time I used to write my posts in! I love this part of the day, so hopefully I will manage it most days.

Best wishes and all good things.

Hi ladies,

I am still here too, been busy in the garden, spring is definitely on its way now, there is a lot of tidying and pruning of old wood to do. …

I am still keeping yo 52 willostrich my weight on Wednesday next week. We always weigh on Ians 1st day off!

Audrey

Morning All

Weigh in day and I have lost another 2 pounds πŸ˜€

Two months in and just over a stone lost means I am half way to my goal weight Whoo Hoo πŸ’ƒπŸ»
    Lost another inch off my waist so that’s 2 in total, still need to lose another 4 though before my waist is less than half my height.

Shirley

Well done Shirley

Keep in up you are inspiring me…..

Audrey

Hi Adrey

You snuck in while I was typing. You make me feel guilty talking off gardening I can here our lawn screaming at us begging to be cut. 😱

Shirley

Hi Adrey
    Thanks πŸ˜€

I have spent the last couple of days finally getting round to reading the 5.2 book. I downloaded it before I started but found so much info on this site I never got round to reading it before.

Shirley

Shirley

Don’t think you need the book you are doing great

Skirts are zipping up easily BEFORE I even get to control top hose. Does anyone else blip UP after a fast day?

Holding steady at 4 pounds lost. You will hear screaming when I crack the 125 floor into 124 territory. Then I will know this is all real.

Hi K-Lo

My weight drops 2 pounds after a fast day and then goes back up after my feed day, sometimes it goes up 2 other times it goes up 1. I fast Monday and Wednesday and only take note of my weight on Friday after my Thursday normal eat day.

Hope we hear you screaming soon.

Shirley

The biggest change for me in this way of eating on non fasting days is that, while I still recognize hunger, I no longer feel the need to address it immediately.

Just FYI for other women who may be struggling with weight loss on the fast diet. I’ve been doing a lot of research, and it does seem that hormone changes can have an enormous effect on the body’s reaction to fasting (or to food, for that matter). The most useful book I’ve found so far on the topic is The Hormone Secret, by Tami Meraglia. It’s not just estrogen that we need to pay attention to but progesterone, testosterone, and several other precursors to these main three. I had no idea how key hormone balance would be to staying fit in my fifties, but it certainly is!

Note that the book I mention above advocates nutritional and some OTC supplements for hormone stimulation and replacement, rather than synthetic, prescribed hormones. (No testosterone shots that give us a moustache! And no cancer-causing HRT.)

I’m relived to find out about this because the fasting was aggravating my adrenal fatigue — I would crash after the second fast of the week — and I didn’t realize it. I’m building back up now and losing weight without fasting, though I will go back to it for the health benefits once I’m feeling strong again.

Just wanting to share my experience. Thanks for listening.

Hi all. Looks like a lot of great discussions going on here. Welcome to any newcomers again.

PT65, thanks for all the good information about hormones. I’m going to look into the book you mentioned. I think I’m finished with menopause but I still like new info on health and nutrition as I get older.

I’ve noticed, like others, that since starting this way of eating I generally am able to resist sweets and over eating. But there are times when I fall in the ditch and have to climb out. As I’ve said before, my husband is the junk food king so we always have sweets in the house. I’m finding that I’m not even tempted by them most of the time. What I really should do is keep better records of what I eat and when. And what the triggers might be.

Cinque, I like your idea of cutting out fruit. I’ve decided to cut back on it as well to see if that helps with the occasional cravings.

Had a great week with my granddaughter here. She kept me busy. I took her back this weekend. I took another granddaughter along with me for company on the way home. Imagine 2 very lively 6 year olds in a car for 8 hours! Having two of them cut down on the “are we there yet? How much longer??” questions. They kept each other amused. Coming back home was a different story but I chose the right girl to have with me. Sylvie is very good at amusing herself with reading and coloring. And what a crazy weekend it was. I thought we were having a blizzard. Snow, winds of up to 40mph, freezing cold. We’re expected to get more snow this week! I’m so ready for warm weather! β˜€οΈ β˜€οΈ β˜€οΈ

Have a good week! Tomorrow’s a fast day for me. Yippee!

Patty

Morning all

Today should be a FD but it’s been cancelled.

Yesterday unintentionally became a fast day when I decided it was time get round trying the quorn burgers I had bought. Just over an hour later I felt woozy and sick, I spent most of the afternoon with my head hanging over the toilet and then fell asleep in a chair till midnight.

Guess I won’t be eating quorn again 😱

Had porridge oats for breakfast as I thought it might help, my stomach still feels delicate. 😟

Good morning.

Shirley, hope you’re feeling better! I’d never heard of quorn before this so I looked it up. It is sold here in the USA, but I’ve never seen it anywhere. However, your reaction and what I’ve read have convinced me that I don’t want to try it! It sounds like it should be a very good source of protein and the fact that it’s fermented is a plus. But the allergic reactions some people have seem to be quite serious. Tomorrow night is my nutrition class and the presenters are vegetarians so I’ll ask them if they’ve tried it and find out more about it. Thanks for posting your reaction.

We had more snow overnight! Grrrr. I had some flowers coming up before all this cold weather and snow. Now I don’t know if the poor things will survive.

Off to do my push-ups and walk the dog. Snow or no snow, she needs her exercise! As do I. Have a good’n.

Patty

Patty the weather sounds horrendous I hope it thaws soon… it does appear as if spring is coming here….

Shirley. I once tried quorn and had a similar reaction…. hope you are feeling better very soon… big hugs your way….

I am on a fast day here. It’s going ok but early days yet….

Have a great day everybody…

Audrey

Never heard of quorn, but reading this site, I think I won’t look for it.

http://www.cspinet.org/quorn/

And…CAN YOU HEAR ME SCREAMING??? 124.6 today.

K-Lo I can hear your scream all the way to Cheshire….

Well done congratulations. …

Finally broke through 125 yeah….

audreyg, next stop 120!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oooooooo……

Well done K-Lo 🎈🎈🎈🎈🎈🎈

Could you please stop screaming now ” my ears hurt” 😁

<slinking off to corner, hands over mouth>

I ended up fasting inadvertantly yesterday, rather than today Monday. I had a small breakfast before heading off to the gym -an egg and vegetables. Then I was rushing around running errands before I ran into NYC to see a play. I grabbed an apple and ate it just before the play — and then I was held captive for close to three (wonderful) hours.

So by the time I got home, it was dinner time and I had barely eaten anything.

Now your really in trouble 😁

I laughed so much my stomach reminded me it’s not recovered yet πŸ‘€

Congrats to K-Lo! πŸŽ‡πŸŽ‡πŸŽ‡ Well done. I’m hoping to break 170 soon. I’ll be screaming a little bit, too, when that happens.

When I was reading about quorn I found out that its latin name is Fusarium venenatum and that venenatum actually means poisoned. Strange name to give a food. It sounds as if there are quite a few cases of adverse side effects associated with it. I didn’t find it in our local store but I did find the Dr. Praeger veggie burgers K-Lo mentioned a few posts back. Didn’t buy them today but might give them a try in the near future.

Had a great FD today. I worked in a Kindergarten classroom and was extremely tired at the end of the day. Do kids that age EVER stop moving? But I was too busy to think about eating. On the way home I did get a little hungry and was ready with a pickle. That kept the strong hunger feelings at bay. Later I had some soup and am now thinking about hitting the hay. Too cold to stay up any longer. It snowed again today.

Good night all.

Patty

Wow that quorn info is interesting. There is a town called Quorn in Australia. I just looked it up and it was named after Quorn village in the UK. I wonder how it got its name?

Note I was vegetarian from the age 14 until nearly 50, and still cook mostly vegetarian, and yet I have never tried quorn.

K-Lo, woot! woot! It is lovely to see results!

I hope everyone is over their regressive cold weather. We had a Summer day yesterday, but now it is gone, cold and rain have set in. But that is what it is meant to be here in Autumn! And my garden is drinking it up!

Patty lovely to hear about your grandchildren, and your classes. I loved working with children, and I am so enjoying little 19 months old! She is working out new words and concepts every day, and is such fun.

I’m fasting today. It is a lovely thing!

Morning All

FD today and a busy one as we are packing for our second trip away in the van. Traveling north this time to the seaside town of Southport and more walking on the beach for us and the dogs.

I will miss my weekly weigh in on Friday so next official weigh in will be the week after, I weighed myself this morning and I have lost another pound so now weigh 8stone 9. I will be happy if I still weigh that next week.

Finally there have even some real visual signs of shrinkage as I noticed my jeans were so loose around my legs they were blowing in the wind and I looked like a bag lady, so yesterday I made a trip to town for a new pair of jeans and I have now have LEGS πŸ‘–
    Looks like a lot of my weight loss has been leg shrinkage, I have also lost another inch of my waist so now only 3 more to go till my waist is less than my height. πŸ’ƒπŸ»

Shirley

Morning all,

I have weighed in 1.5 lb down. ….

I am away to mums on Saturday until Thursday. ..

Hope you are all ok

Audrey

Lovely legs Shirley! Have fun showing your new jeans off while you are away! Will you still have fast days?

Hooray Audrey! Have a good time with your mum! Please send her best wishes from Melbourne!

I’m getting to the end of Wednesday fast day! Baby sitting while they are off to find out whether the new one will be a boy or a girl πŸ™‚

Cinque

Glad you have had a good day, let us know that the scan is ok please and if it’s pink or blue…..

Will definitely give mum your best she is still struggling with that bad leg. …it’s very worrying. …

Audrey

Hi cinque
    I will do what worked for me last time. I kept to my Monday fast day but instead of fasting on Wednesday I changed it to the Friday as this was the day we were traveling home. So this time I will fast Monday as usual and then fast Thursday as that the day we travel back.

Hi Audry
    well done,way to go. 🎈🎈

Scan was all ok, and aren’t you lucky, because my daughter isn’t telling others for a while yet, but she said I can tell you! It is another girl! Sisters.
    lovely. She came back with a 3D video!

So sorry to hear your mum is still having trouble with her leg. I’m sending a bit of leg magic to help! Circulation magic might be needed too? There is a bit of that added on!

Stepping Out, that is sensible! Enjoy those two fasts with your lovely holiday on and in between!

Good morning from Pennsylvania USA. Looks like everyone is having happy and successful days! Great job on the smaller jeans, Shirley! It feels so great when that happens!

I keep track of my inches and weight monthly on this site. I’m happy to say I’ve lost an inch or more in all areas and am down 2 lbs since the last check. That definitely inspires me. Also my good old pals, fellow retirees who I have brunch with the first Tuesday of each month, remarked on how I’m “wasting away!” when I saw them yesterday. hahaha.

Yesterday I watched a show called the Great British Baking Show. I loved it. I made me want to pack my bags right now and head across the pond to have some cake! All the talk about caravanning and gardens has put UK on my bucket list along with Australia. The granddaughters and I were talking about the horrid spring we’re having and I told them about how Australia is now having autumn and that when we have summer, they’ll have winter. They’re very interested in all of that. Maybe someday they can travel with me…..

I asked the presenters about quorn last night and they said they’d heard of it but had never tried it. They also thought that the number of people who have allergic reactions is most likely overstated. I have no idea why they would think that. I think I’ll just try making my own veggie burgers from scratch. Probably better nutritionally and better tasting as well.

Today is Dennis’ 65th birthday. I’ll watch another episode of the Great British Baking show and make a gorgeous cake for him. πŸŽ‚ Have a great day everyone.

Patty

Lol cinque

So now you have a secret that is not a secret but those of us who know the secret don’t know who it is they know the secret about πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚πŸŽˆπŸŽ‰πŸŽ€

Hi PatriPer317

God t hear your loosing inches too.

Are you planning on sharing the cake?

Hope Dennis enjoys his birthday treat.

πŸŽˆπŸŽ‰πŸ°πŸΎπŸŽ‰πŸŽˆ

Ha, Stepping Out, very true. That’s why she didn’t mind me telling you! πŸ˜‰ Thanks for the emojis!

Happy Birthday Dennis!

Patty There is good info in the wikipedia entry on Quorn. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quorn
    a) it explains that it is named after Quorn village (that Quorn in Australia is named after!).
    b) it also shows that it got popular in Europe but in the US has been lots of controversy. It does sound as if less people are allergic to it than are allergic to soy protein (my sister is allergic to soy!), but that the publicity critical of it has taken root.

Luckily none of us need to eat it anyway.

Shirley, I’m not sure I’ll have any of the cake. It’s chocolate with peanut butter frosting-his favorite, not mine. I’m not a huge fan of chocolate. I’ll wait to see how I feel after supper. My granddaughters will be here to help celebrate and I’m sure they’ll eat enough of it! And take some home. I’ll wait til they get here before making the frosting so they can help. But the cake’s made.

Cinque, so glad to hear Josie’s going to have a sister. They’re so close in age they’ll most likely be pals for life. That’s how it’s working out with Caroline and Sylvie anyway. BFF

I read the wiki link about quorn. Interesting. I’m surprised it’s considered vegetarian since it has egg in it. But you’re right, we don’t have to eat it. I’m intrigued but not enough to spend money on something I don’t need. Plus I’m allergic to penicillin and that might be an issue according to some articles I’ve read.

Patty

PatriPer, have you tried Dr. Prager veggie burgers?

Hi patty

I wondered if my reaction might have links with penicillin allergy as I too am allergic to it.

Shirley

K-Lo, I haven’t tried Dr. Praeger’s burgers but I did see them at the store when I was looking to see if quorn was available. I typically don’t buy anything pre-made and ready to cook but I considered trying them. It might be good to have something on hand like that.

We had a very nice birthday dinner for Dennis. Pork chops with acorn squash. I simmered them both together in a mixture of fresh squeezed orange juice, minced ginger, and allspice. Quite tasty. We also had broccoli with it. Then of course the cake and ice cream. I did have a little of that but now am wishing I hadn’t. My head and stomach are not feeling very well. Should have known.

Now the guests are gone and it’s time for bed. Maybe a good night’s sleep will make me feel better. Tomorrow’s a fast day. So glad for that. Good night all.

Patty

OlΓ‘ a todas! Sou do Brasil, 56 anos e a vida inteira lutando contra o peso, jΓ‘ emagreci 15 quilos com LOW CARB e agora vou tentar jejum.
    Faz muitos dias que estou lendo todos os posts do site, o Google traduz para mim.
    tem informaçáes muito importantes que vai fazer a diferença, JÑ faço jejum de 16:8 e 24, agora vou tentar esse método, meu peso é 110 kg, quero chegar a no minimo 90 Kg.
    Um abraço a todas!!!

Anaide: “Hello to all! I’m from Brazil, 56 years and a lifetime fighting weight already lost weight 15 kilos with LOW CARB and now I will try fasting.
    For many days I’m reading all the posts of the site, Google translates for me.
    has very important information that will make a difference, I have fasted 16: 8:24, now I will try this method, my weight is 110 kg, I get at least 90 kg.
    A hug to all !!!”

Hi Anaide! Google translated for me too! πŸ™‚ Welcome here! 5:2 is such a lovely way to lightly fast, I hope you find it good!

I love making my own veggie burgers, I’ve never had a bought one that I enjoyed!
    Patty, when I was vegetarian I had dairy and eggs, (still do πŸ˜‰ ) it is vegan who have no animal products.
    And I must say, making your own veggie burgers is a lot easier if you can add cheese and egg to bind them together!

Your birthday dinner for Dennis sounds so delicious!

I did my first aid course on Thursday and found out that penicillin is the most common allergy of all!

The extended family is moving out next week, to a lovely roomy house in the next suburb. It will be a hectic week, but then everything will get back to normal, with the added pleasure of having them near by!

Fast day for me tomorrow. Really looking forward to it as I may have had just a bit too much fish and chips last night, and overate peanuts the night before (unwinding after the big day at the First Aid course).

I hope you are all having a good day! πŸ™‚

Viewing 50 posts - 6,551 through 6,600 (of 7,330 total)

You must be logged in to reply.