HELP! All ladies of a 'certain age'-please respond

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
HELP! All ladies of a 'certain age'-please respond

This topic contains 7,289 replies, has 660 voices, and was last updated by  Opal Shine 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 5,851 through 5,900 (of 7,330 total)

• Hi LmL! ( if you don’t mind getting your name shortened)
    Here are some welcome flowers since I am on my iPad, and have them to hand!
    ???????
    I do wish you luck! First fast day is a special day!

I’m having about my 26th, and my revelation is…. Coffee in the afternoon! It is giving me such a lift!
    Hope it lasts for the meeting in a couple of hours time!

My miso soup today ( about 2pm) had three spinach leaves, three sorrel leaves and three chives ( all from the garden) chopped fine, and the meat from a chicken drumstick ( no skin). It was very nice.

Sweet dreams all you Brits, and cheers to all the other time zones!

Hello LmL! Remember to drink plenty today. On leave this week so won’t be fasting, but will still make sensible eating choice.

So sad about the state of the world…..

Hello fellow fast-dieters from a wet and wild N of Scotland. Gosh I am getting very tired of these constant storms!!

Cinque – “Your kitchen sounds wonderful! Just because I am not eating much, only means that what I do eat should be the best, most delicious, freshly made food: preferably cooked in a lovely kitchen!”

I love my kitchen – it’s the first time I’ve had a big kitchen with room to put a Rayburn and room to spare. And I love winter cooking on it – lots of stews and casseroles, cooked all day in the slow oven – delicious!! – and fairly healthy if I don’t add flour or too many tatties.

Didn’t do too well yesterday – but I think it’s just my state of mind. I will get back to doing this properly. I made a new appointment at the Health Center this morning – I had to cancel the Oct. one because I got the call to go down to mum. That is a step in the right direction and even if I have put on a pound or two, I think in the circumstances she won’t be too annoyed with me.

I see more new ladies around – welcome to you all. 🙂

Hi ladies

Just a quick post to let you know I am back at my mums. She has had a very nasty fall today, I am going to be here for a while. ….

I will not be posting much for the forsee able future….

Be good and keep losing

Audrey

Good morning everyone,

Hi Blaise, it has been awful times for our poor dear world. It is good here on this forum where what is happening is caring, and support, and understanding, and people working together to make better and healthier lives. Who would have thought we are the anti terrorist army? But we are! ?

Hi Elf, ooh what a lovely thing kitchens are! Mine is very small, but easy to work in.
    I am glad you are just taking the time to orient yourself to the direction you want to go, I hope it is a good appt at the Health Centre.

Audrey I am so sorry to hear your mum has had a bad fall. I hope it isn’t too bad. She must be so frustrated! sending good wishes.

How did you go LmL?

I’ve just woken up and looking forward to breakfast after a good Fast Day yesterday.

Hello ladies… This is my fast day and I plan to get through it fine. I know that I must go back to my resolve and not assume it will be easy, peasy. I don’t plug in often.

So all of us are the army against terrorism. It makes sense as terrorism is targeting civilians of all ages. I think that our battle getting food into proper perspective is enough of a challenge but life isn’t that easy to be able to focus on one thing all the time.

As I have been on 5:2 starting my 3rd year in August I do think I am smarter about my eating on the Five days. I have heard some of you say the same thing over the weeks. You know the choices are all out there and some foods are a pit to choose and others don’t consistently make you want to eat more and more. On the other hand it is not in me to change enough that I can go on 6:1. I am at peace doing 5:2.

Those of you in France…we grieve along side you.

Audrey, hope your Mum heals nicely.

Pea Jay

Hi again everyone. My husband has had super bad bronchitis for weeks and I’m suffering from a nasty head cold. so not needed…..
    thanks for the welcome Cinque.
    I went to the Dr yesterday to get a prescription and mentioned the 5:2 She wasn’t that keen. she is of the belief that three meals a day everyday is the best with a varied diet of protein and vegies and a few carbs to keep up energy. Its not what I wanted to hear. she was supposed to encourage me to take part!!
    she also said stay off dieting/fasting for a while due to the surgery. So I’ve decided to leave it until this annoying cold has gone…..please let that be soon!
    I tried to explain to her that I can’t ‘stick to a healthy diet’ every day of my life and hope I lose weight. I’m an all or nothing kind of girl. So give me a few weeks and I’ll be doing 6:1 for two weeks and then if all well I’ll be doing the 5:2.

Audrey I hope your Mum recovers well and I hope you look after yourself too!!

Hi again Athunusia, sounds like a sensible decision you are making. I hope you both get over your nasty bugs quickly.
    What can we do but weigh up all the different advice we get from professionals, and then make the best decision we can?
    I’m sure your doctor would agree that you can trial 5:2 and see how you go. My dad was a doctor so I am very aware they are only human! Plus, they get a bit worn down by people following fads, and she might think this is one.

Hi Pea Jay, best wishes for your Fast Day!

Well Hello Athunsia and welcome.Have you read Dr Mosleys book its quite good and there is a chapter with all the different health problems and how to ajust the diet to suit.I watched the program he did and it had all the recent research on how fasting extends your life.My doctor is open minded and had also watched the program and was giving the 5.2 fasting a go.He said for me and my husband to go for it.I had a operation and I emailed Dr Mosley about the fast and my health and they helped me with good advise.

Morning ladies,

Mum came home yesterday very battered and bruised…. she has a big gash on her leg and has cut her arm through to the muscle!

I am going to be here until Saturday then hopefully going to be home until Tuesday, but think I may have to come back here next week. When dad was ill I did 3 days home 5 days here for months. …..

I will be in touch when I can, stay strong

I didn’t manage to eat anything yesterday so completed a fadt day even if it wasn’t planned. ..

Audrey

Hi everyone. Good luck on your first fast day lovemylife, I enjoyed mine the other day and was pleasantly surprised.
    So sorry to hear about your mum’s fall Audrey, hope she’s soon on the mend.
    Its a pity your doctor has put you off Athunusia but hopefully you’ll be joining us soon. I’m fasting today and weirdly looking forward to it. I’m hoping for a nice weight loss after my first week as it will enourage me to continue.

Good morning fasters 🙂

Audrey – that sounds like a nasty fall and no doubt your mum will be a little in shock following it. Best wishes to you both. 🙂

Athunusia – I had quite the opposite reaction at my Health Center. The attitude was very much – if it does you no harm and it helps you lose, then it’s good! Before my mums situation intervened I was finding this a very easy way to live/eat and I want to get back to it.

Zen123 – I’m fasting today too; half a grapefruit and a boiled egg for breakfast and lots of things to distract me through to supper at 7.00pm.

Success to all fasters today!

Oh dear Audrey, what a way to have a Fast Day!
    I am so glad your mum does not have broken bones, and I do hope she heals quickly. It must have been a nasty shock for all of you.
    What a wonderful daughter you are.

Hi KeeLee, Zen and Elf!

It is lovely to look forward to Fast Days, and look forward to non fast days!

Best wishes Fasters!

Hi Athunusis
    I also have had people think 5:2 is s fad diet,
    My fiancé’ was one of the worst until he watched ” Eat Fast and live longer” now he is willing to do a fast day with me. He doesn’t have much to lose 15 pounds or so, but he does have some health issues that I think 5:2 could help. Hope you’re feeling better soon, I can’t fast when I’m sick.
    Audrey hope your mother gets better soon!

Hello
    I am returning to the 5:2 way of life having been v successful before – for various reasons I lapsed and the weight has been creeping back on! what a surprise!
    I am now on my second week and lost 1.5kg in the first week which was v encouraging – I found the first week v easy but today I am on my first fast day for this week and have found it hard – maybe it’s the awful weather we have been having here in Cumbria.
    I find reading your posts v encouraging – I am 57yo and have found that since hitting the menopause in my early 50s that I now tend to put on weight around my middle instead of of on my hips and thighs as previously!

Here’s to staying positive

Hi all and welcome to AT…

Thanks very much for your good wishes for my mums recovery, she is very very sore, battered and bruised, looks a bit like road kill….

Will be in touch again in a few days when things start to calm down a little bit.

Keep in touch stick together and support each other ….. Good luck everyone

Audrey

AT well done,your doing so well,Im the same as you and I saw a photo of me riding my horse the other day and hated the way my fat around my middle looked even bigger than I thought.OOOO My fasting day tomorrow.

Hi Cinque
    I have to clarify that the Dr was not my usual GP Unfortunately he is on a months holiday. How selfish 🙂
    It will be interesting how he evaluates the situation. He may be a bit more ‘alternative’.
    I am in awe of how Drs can sit and listen to all the patients telling of their medical complaints and personal problems. My grandson is going to study medicine next year #veryproudnanna
    KEELEE123
    No I have only watched to TV shows here in Oz. I’m trying not to buy books as we are on a tight budget. If I bought a book which one is the most helpful in your eyes?
    It’s lovely that Dr Michael allows us to email him. He is really committed to this isn’t he!
    Audrey
    Wow your Mum certainly did a good job on herself! Best of luck to her in the healing process.
    Mitzday
    I don’t talk to my husband about it. He never agrees with my ‘latest idea’. He loves his food and wouldn’t think of fasting even on his deathbed 🙂 I’m still feeling drugged up and snotty thanks ?
    AT
    I feel your pain. Muffin top doesn’t look attractive hey. I don’t want to look like a model but my belly embarrasses me ?
    Good luck to everyone. Fast away! We all know that we eat far too much. We just have to convince some little gland in our brains. We girls can do that can’t we ??

Hi Everyone,
    I am 55years old, 155cm woman and was 66kg over a month ago. Ive done the alternate fast -500cal on Tue, Thursday and Friday. I am now down to 60.7kg but have reached a plateau.
    I find that going to the Gym and jogging has really helped. I have just started on the machines to get a little more tone.
    I feel heaps better and would love to lose another 5kg – wish me luck

PS: I have also reached menopause. I find this blog really encouraging

Hi At, its called the fast diet by Dr Michael Mosley and Mimi Spencer, the simple secret of intermittent fasting, lose weight,stay healthy,live longer. I got the paper back and its the best book I have ever read.It cost me$24. nz

Morning all,

Just a quick post again today.

My mum is very sore and is struggling to manage to walk bless her. We have the district nurse coming tomorrow to change her dressings so I am hoping to get a bit more news then.

Hope you are all doing ok I am not fasting again this week as I am trying to get mum to eat, it seems more important….

Will post again tomorrow, thanks for all your best wishes

Audrey

Sorry meant to say welcome to Prema….

Hope you enjoy our little group ….we are very friendly and spreading out all over the world now! Hehehe

Audrey

KEELEE123
    Thank you re book. We live in a small country town so when we go into the ‘big smoke’ I’ll check out the book.

Good morning everyone!

Hi Athunusia, I do hope your own doctor is supportive, and that OH comes to support you eventually! Congratulations to your grandson and to you, proud grandma! ( I have one granddaughter but she is just 15 months old…. but extremely clever too! 😉 )

Welcome AT. I find it completely bewildering that some Fast Days are so easy, and some are so hard. I guess most of mine have been on the easier side, (thank goodness!) and at least on the hard ones you can just count the hours til it ends! I hope the weather has got a bit better!

Welcome Prema too! You’ve lost over 5kg in a month! Wow, that is amazing. Your body probably needs a plateau now to catch up with itself! Keep plugging on and you will get there.
    I’m also at the point of needing to lose 5kg more. I know it can take longer as you get closer to your healthy weight, so I am just being philosophical – while enjoying all the new clothes I have had to buy!!!!

Audrey, it is good to hear your little snippets of news. Your mum must be so stiff and sore now. Tell her hi and best wishes from Australia!
    I hope you can do good things for yourself, inbetween caring for her.

Fast Day for me today!

Hi Girls, Thanks for the warm welcome. Athunusia, wish your mum the very best and good for her to start walking.
    Girls you are right – I have plateaued, will be having the weekend off and going to enjoy some wine.
    Clinique your words are certainly encouraging.
    All the best to all of you

Cinque
    Awe a lovely little granddaughter. I only have my g’son but he’s a treasure. He’s 19 and very good hearted.

Prema S I had to laugh when I read the message above. You mentioned ‘my’ Mum walking again. I think you meant Audreyg. My Mum passed away many years ago and if she started walking we’d all be very amazed!!
    The very best wishes to everyone. Stay strong and love yourselves ??

Athunusia – Im so sorry. Please forgive me
    No wine for me this weekend

Prema S
    No need to apologise dear. My hubby and I think my Mum would have laughed too. She had Alzheimer’s so she’s in a better place I assure you ?❤

Oh and have a wine this weekend for sure ?

Thank you. You are a real treasure.

Hi ladies

Glad you are all ok. I am trying my best to be good, but away from home is hard.. it’s been decided I am going home on Saturday and returning again on Tuesday. ….mum not very well at all. …

Keep in touch your posts are lifting me…..

Prema thanks for the good wishes, your slip made me laugh too and believe me I needed a good laugh….

Audrey

Audrey
    My deepest and heartfelt best wishes for your Mum. I’m sure that all your love and strength will help her fully recover. It may be a very long process though by what you say. She needs rest and encouragement. Watch for signs of depression and loss of appetite. Sorry I was a nurse and I can’t help but put out my thoughts ❤

Athunsia

Thanks for the advice it’s much appreciated. I had a very trying day yesterday not helped by my brother suggesting respite care…. mum got very upset and thought he wanted her placed into care home ..

After several hours we have agreed that I will go home Saturday until Tuesday to have a few days with Ian. … I did this for months when dad was ill but it isn’t very good for relationships, luckily ours is pretty solid, but I was emotionally and physically exhausted by the end, I hope this does not last as long.

The nurse is coming in today to re dress the wounds so I am hoping to get some sort of timescale then.

Sorry I am moaning, I will stop now no one likes a moaner! Once again thanks

Audrey

Audrey
    It’s always more than ‘just’ an accident. It effects so many people doesn’t it. You’re not moaning you’re venting!

Hi everyone
    I’m a newbie on the forum. Started 5:2 last week. Fasted really well Tues and Thurs. Other days, I didn’t binge, just ate normally. This week, however, I fasted on Tues, no drama. Ate normally yesterday. Fasted today until I came home from work and wow, did I eat!! Two pieces of toast with unsalted spread, 3 pieces of pizza and 3 pieces of garlic bread, a cornetto and I’m currently half way through a bottle of chardonnay!!
    My question is, should I fast again tomorrow or just wait until my next fast day which will be next Tues? How can I avoid a blowout like this happening again?
    Thanks in advance for any advice and all the very best to you all on your weight loss journeys. Cheers! fiftytwobee xx

Holy cow 52bee
    That sounds like a binge that I could do. Especially on one of my ‘I hate myself, I’m a fat slob kill me now’ days!
    I haven’t started my 5:2 yet. Had gall bladder out recently.
    With no experience at all I’d say just stick to your usual fast days and put the binge out of your mind. It won’t happen again for months……..will it…….
    Welcome to the forum 🙂

Fiftytwobee

Don’t beat yourself up we all fall off the wagon and I know when I fall I fall big style.

Put the day behind you and fast your normal days next week. I can’t advice you on how to avoid this again next time except perhaps try to remember how bad you feel now and try to be stronger next time. ..

Hope it helps

Athunsia good luck for your journey too….

Audrey

This is my first post: I agree with Athunusia and Audrey – stick to your same fast days. But I disagree with ‘remembering how bad you feel now’! I’ve been reading many people’s posts, and the words ‘good’ and ‘bad’appear so frequently. Admittedly I’m not really doing 5:2 for the weight loss aspect so perhaps I see things differently? I think the most important thing is to eat mindfully – I love pizza and cheesecake, and sometimes have them at the weekends but, and this is the really important part for me, I eat slowly, savouring every morsel and ENJOY! The rest of the week, on my non-fast days, I eat a fairly Mediterranean diet because that’s the food I enjoy (including red wine, and a bit of dark chocolate!) I’m 54, and about 6 years into the menopause. My mother died last year (at 89) of cancer, and in an extreme stage of Alzheimer’s, so perhaps that’s also why I make sure I enjoy every moment of my life. Which so includes NOT going to the gym…

Hi 52B! Welcome here,
    My latest trick is to eat something ( preferably a good little meal) and then make myself wait an hour, to give me time to really feel whether I am still hungry. Also to make sure I drink something as I tend to feel hungry when I really am thirsty.
    If I am still needing to eat after an hour I do.

I tried this out for the first time last non fast day, so only one day! But it worked really well. I did need to eat more both breakfast and lunch, but it felt good, and not that feeling of dumping a big amount of food on my poor digestive system.

Another tip is to break your fast with low GI foods ( ie not white toast) .

Good luck and best wishes working it out for you.

Edit: Hi Hope Springs, lovely post!

Welcome hope springs,

I love your name and I live your philosophy about food.

I think if we deprive ourselves of all our favourite foods we will not last the distance, I am a firm believer of a little of what you fancy. …..

Don’t be a lurker in the background come join us. … I do like your philosophy on the gym also hehe

Audrey

Welcome Hope

We will get on well, I delight in the good days and reckon the bad days are what we need to differentiate, so we know how God ‘good’ is!!!

And Gyms and I haven’t quite met yet!

On the other hand, I am inspired by the gym bunnies, and we all have to find what works, and its probably a tad more difficult when the purpose of 5:2 is to turn a lump of lard into something beautiful, or at least looking less lumpy, as is my reason for being here!!

I’m looking forward to the time when I can look beyond the scales.

Hello everyone
    I’ve bought Dr Michael’s and Mimi’s book. Only $16 at Big W here in OZ
    I’ve started reading it. It’s written so you can understand it and want to read more. Full of information but entertaining.
    I’ve put a few details in the tracker here. Later I will do the dreaded measurements!!
    My BMI 33.4
    BMR 6193kj or 1480cals
    TDEE 8516kj or 2035cals
    I’m not good with kilojoules. I had to google the spelling!!
    Best wishes for all of you today ?❤

Hi everyone, hope you’re having a good week. Wishing your mum a speedy recovery Audrey and remember to look after yourself too.
    I’ve moved my weigh day to Friday so weighed myself this morning after my first 6 day week and I’ve lost 5lbs! I’m over the moon as you can imagine and don’t care how much is water and how much fat as long as it shows on the scales. I also know the first week loss will never be repeated, nor should it be but it has certainly given me the impetus to continue and a pound or two a week will be great in future. I’ve ended up doing ADF (alternate day fasts) this week as fast days are still a novelty so not too hard, will probably go 5:2 soon.

Hi Audrey, I hope you take up whinging again. I am keen to know how your mum is, whether your brother has driven you up the wall again, and how your day has been!

Zen. How wonderful! A lovely boost to help you on your way!

Hi Athunusia, I hope it hasn’t been too hot where you are, but hooray that you have been reading a good book if it has been!

Hi Milena, and everyone else! Best wishes for today! I hope it is a good one!

Hi i am 63 and I have posted on this thread a couple of times before, when I first started the 5:2 back in January. I haven’t got a great deal of weight to lose about 1.5 stone. For the last few months I reach a plateau where I couldn’t lose any weight and even putting it on some weeks in spite of my walk/jog for 50 mins 5 times a week and palates stomach exercises most days. On fast days I would drink 1 oxo cube for lunch and either fish or chicken with veg (well under 500 cals) for dinner at about 7pm. Then I stumbled upon the documentary Fat Sick and Nearly Dead on YouTube and was inspired enough to invest in a juicer. Now on fast days I have juiced fruit and veg at dinner (no meat) and water/fruit teas throughout the day and my weight has started to go down again. I lost 2.5 lbs last week and 1.5 lbs this week. The funny thing is I am not going to bed feeling hungry and not sleeping like I did in the past. I just thought I would share my experience in case it could help anyone else who has hit a brick wall! I really love reading your posts especially on fast days it’s what keeps me going knowing I am not doing this alone. Thank You Sukey x

Zen…congratulations on your weight loss really pleased for you

SukeyA thanks for the information will have a look into it when I get home. …

Cinque my mum is slowly improving but my sister in law came last night and was really cheeky. I said I was going home Saturday until Tuesday then staying until the next Sunday and she said that’s when they are going on holiday so can’t I do a bit more or stay a little longer I very nearly exploded. ….

Luckily for me my brothers ex wife is really great and I look on her as a big sister so she is helping look after mum…

I am looking forward to going home even for a couple of days….I have even got a boil in an unmentionable place now, I always do this when I get stressed out….

Is that a big enough moan HeheHe it’s good to vent sometimes but that’s all for now.

Keep on losing ladies and remember together we are stronger

Audrey

Zen123 congratulations. You’re inspiring!! I also hope Audrey’s Mum is improving and things are running smoothly with brother!
    Cinque the weather here was hottish but there was a nice cool breeze in some places. I think I was just happy that my cold is leaving me. I could breath and my eyes didn’t run all day!! I went and did some retail therapy. Bought a few tops and some new plants as well.
    Yes the book is great! Watching Escape to the Country UK and then off to bed to read.
    Hi SukeyA what sort of juicer? I’ve often wondered if the very strong ones may tend to destroy the nutrients.
    I’d love to juice veggies and fruit as I don’t eat many leafy greens! Keep doing what you’re doing! Well done!

Audrey no wonder you’re getting a boil on the caboose! You must have a lot of restraint! Stress has no boundaries and you have to listen to its rather unsubtle message! No matter what ‘others’ say! Enjoy your time at home ?

Viewing 50 posts - 5,851 through 5,900 (of 7,330 total)

You must be logged in to reply.