HELP! All ladies of a 'certain age'-please respond

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
HELP! All ladies of a 'certain age'-please respond

This topic contains 7,289 replies, has 660 voices, and was last updated by  Opal Shine 4 weeks, 1 day ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 5,251 through 5,300 (of 7,330 total)

• Hi Annette

Well done a good loss. That is always a great boost. If it starts to slow and your calorie needs become less have a look at my fitness pal, you can log in online or on the app. Here set your target weight, set the weight that you want to be and then how much you want to be. You will find this under MORE – GOALS this will give you a realistic calorie allowance. Mine is about 1570, I think it is worked out by how much you want to lose. I put 1lb a week in this bit. I know that I can lose more of course as it doesn’t take the 5:2 into account.

I am not sure if it changes automatically as you weight lowers.

Hi Nemum

Yes I had trouble walking up stairs, I haven’t tried them lately. I know that I couldn’t kneel on them yet unwillingly I had to get onto the floor the other day and I managed to get up, it was easier although not easy. There is room for improvement but with nearly 5 stone left to lose you would think I should see some. Am am not quite half way there yet.

If you can ever get a lift to school with your boy then this is the time to try. If not maybe try (and I have heard this so many times that I don’t even want to write it!) to park 1/4 of a mile away at first to see if this improves.

I am pleased to say that last night I couldn’t stop going to the loo, sure enough I weighed this morning and I had lost a pound, part of that retained water gone! In my mind I did cartwheels around the room!!

I still have slightly swollen ankles so I know that eventually I shall lose it. I now try to drink more 5/6 cups of tea a day and I try to drink 3/4 pints of water a day. Sometimes I don’t manage this but I try.

Thank goodness so onto another week tomorrow.

I went to Aldi’s yesterday vine tomatoes are 49p, runner beans 49p, melon 49p and other things. So I got three lots of tomatoes to have with my Heck sausages. Such bargains there.

Enjoy your day all.

Ginette

Oops just posted to Annette who is on another thread 🙂

Ginnette,

Well done on weight loss, a pound in the right direction. I have rediscovered green tea this is helping me drink more other than tea and coffee, which is helping my water retention, also the less bread I eat the less water retention I have.

I have heard before about leaving the car a little bit before you’re destination. I’m going to try parking at the back of any carpark I am at this week. The think is, if I do too much with my knee I’m usually not able to move the next day, which is the case today, as NEdad took me to a lovely day at the races yesterday, lots of standing and a fair but of walking. I am going to book an appointment with the doctor this week and see what else can be done, as I am really getting fed up with the pain this summer as NEdad and my boys are wanting to do so much.

NEmum

Hi Nemum

Take it easy with the walking only you know your limits.

My doctor keeps offering me a referral to a swimming pool. I am far too overweight to think about it. I will after about another 3 stone. I am seeing her in a couple of weeks and I shall see if she will do a gym referral instead. I know they did do these.

Maybe you might consider this, (the swimming) it will stop your knee taking the strain and it is worth a thought. It is open to those overweight and those with medical conditions and it is free.

When you go to your doctor remember you can go in head held high and proud that you have lost the weight you have.

Ginette

Ginnette
    my doctor offers me nothing like that, I used to love swimming and really dont mind bearing my 18 stone body in a swim suit, but the last time I went it felt like my lower leg was going to fall off as my knee has no muscle to hold it together … oh I feel im having a right moan this morning. I may try an early session this week when everyone is still in bed.

Gym is good too, NEdad and I got a free day pass last year to one we had a great few hours and a sauna too mmmmmm.

Fast day today off with my boys to get school uniform and to fill their pencil cases and then the beach.

Have a lovely day ladies

NEmum

Hi Nemum

What a shame. You need to get a leisure card as these will really take the price down. They are free and forms are available in many places. Google it to see details.

Ginette

Hi Ladies,

Fasting with my hubby is so much easier, I thought I would resent him getting 100 calories more than me, but he seems to waste it on 2 milky coffees, whereas I drink herbal on fast days.

Yesterday we saved our calories for a lovely 300 calorie tea of gammon, egg and 2 tiny new potatoes with enough left for 40 cal hot choc before bedtime … truly the best fast day I have had yet.

How is everyone else doing?

NEmum

Hi Nemum

I’m doing ok, a fast day today and as always no problem with that.

I am so glad that you are enjoying fasting more and that you and Nedad can work together. This makes it so much more enjoyable.

Did you ever try Heck sausages? I think Nedad will like them as well.

Ginette

Hi everyone

On a fast day today. Looking forward to my evening meal of salmon, noodles and veg.
    I am seven months in on this WOL and its a struggle most days but I keep telling myself constantly its just one day. That seems to work.
    Does anyone watch food/cookery programmes incessantly? Its almost as if I get my calories by just looking at food. Lol
    TopsyT

TopsyT

I love cookery programmes too! I have Great British Bake Off recorded from last night but I’m not keen to watch it tonight, as I’m up to 485 calories today, and I know I’ll end up weighing a chocolate chip cookie and seeing how much I can eat for 15 calories.

It’s just a day, I can eat what I like tomorrow.

NEmum

Hi All

Hi Topsy, yes I have been on this for 7months as well. From the 8th of January, which I think was a Thursday, I remember thinking that if I wait until Monday I might change my mind. 🙂

I am surprised that you still find it a struggle though. I think I have only ever had one or two fast days that I have found a struggle after getting past the first week. I think it is all in the mind. How much more have you got to lose Topsy?

I only watch Bake Off, I am addicted to that. I watch Jo Brands follow up shop on Friday as well, sheer pleasure and entertainment!! They put such strange flavours together. I think the Rosmary biscuits man is very consistent. I was surprised that Marie went home though.

I don’t find it makes me hungry thankfully. Next week is bread.

Hi Nemum

I watch it on a fast day, thankfully it doesn’t make me hungry. I shall remember not to talk about it until the weekend so you would have watched it.

Have you weighed yet for the week? I am sure that you and Nedad weigh on the same day.

I have lost 2 lbs this week. So getting nearer my half way mark. Of course when I get to my final target I may move the goal post and want to lose another half a stone!! This is so far off about a year and a half I reckon.

I think Audrey will be back soon. So she will join us soon.

I know two of my friends are in caravans and Audrey, such lousy weather for them here. One is on her way home now for a short break as her daughter is due to have a baby. Hopefully when she is ready to go back the weather will have changed.

How have you all done this week?

Ginette

Hi All

I haven’t tried this yes but it is worth trying according to comments.

Chicken and mango salad 108 calories from Aldi

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1606592752939209&set=pcb.827239900725747&type=1&relevant_count=2

Ginette

Hi Yesterday was a fast day for me. It helps me fast doing it with my husband. I have been on 5:2 since mid Aug 2013. I have been at my goal weight since April 2014.

Recently we had an extended 5 wk holiday with no 5:2 and I apparently gained 1/2 stone. Back on the regime and am feeling better. After two weeks of 5:2 I have not lost anything. I am expecting I am eating too much on 5 days. In past scales have shown decrease before shrinkage in body. At least I am back on track so far as 5:2. Hope this is an encouragement (the 1st paragraph). I am on 5:2 for life.
    Pea Jay

Hi PJ

Nice to see you here. Well as you probably have found it has taken your body a while to realise you are on 5:2. It took others a few weeks before loss. I hope this will start to show soon.

Did you lose much before?

Ginette

Hi all

Ginette I have never struggled on fast days. I know what I am doing on those. Apart from three weeks when I have been on holiday I have religiously stuck to the fast days. Its the other feast days I struggle with. I know its not a free for all but I find it hard to eat sensibly on those days. A whiff of cake and I am off. I think I have probably got a stone or so still to lose. Its all on my stomach though. I have tried to look at all these “lose a bit of belly fat each day posts on the internet but I think they are all a con to get you to buy some tablets!!
    I will keep trying though. hard to change when I have been overweight all my adult life. This is a way of life though which I agree is totally sustainable so am still sticking to it as best I can.
    NEmum – cookery programmes are a bit unrealistic I guess because they make me want to eat but I never have the time to do the recipes. Will have to find another hobby I guess.
    May the fast be with you all.
    TopsyT

Hi Topsy

You can still bake or prepare food but use low calorie or sugar free recipes. I still have a lit on my stomach. My health trainer said the best way to lose this is exercise.

I am happy when I go down from one BMI category to the next. I am severely obese at the moment but this is an improvement on Morbidly obese. The next category down is obese which is about 12lbs away now. My targets are always half a stone but the next half a stone I reach will be my overall half way mark. I enjoy setting the targets as it keeps me motivated.

I must say re belly fat. Anything with Konjac or Glucommanan in it is not a con, it is a very expensive way to but it and I think the suggested about is too much.

Both of the above are the same thing. They are made from a yam and have the starch taken out. So natural products, these have been used for over a thousand years by Asians. They can also be used as a thickener to soups and other dishes it is where we would normally use cornflour or cornstarch. You can buy the powder or flour in Asian grocery stores. It is really good at lowering cholesterol and helping food pass through the body. There have been some scientific studies on it. I will see if I can find one to post here.

Also psyllium husk. Bear in mind that all of these can be bought more cheaply than as anything with the word diet or slimming in it. Psyllium husk is also a natural product. I have had to resort to taking laxatives on this WOL as the one side effect that I have is being constipated. I have been reading about these for about three weeks and so I will buy some when I am near an Asian food market. They are just pure fibre.

Ginette

Here is a bit about the first two

http://www.dietpillswatchdog.com/glucomannan-for-fat-loss-is-it-any-good/

I have also read that green tea is good for belly fat and these are available in supplements

Ginette

Topsy

Have a look at this one as well. It is about green tea

http://www.nutritionexpress.com/showarticle.aspx?articleid=1119

Ginette

Hi Ginette
    Thank you so much for that. I too was severely obese. The weight has come off pretty well though so I mustn’t grumble. My worry is definitely the mind set. I have lost five stone or so before on several occasions and have put it all back on. I like this WOL and I am hopeful I will be able to keep it off and will fast one or two days for the rest of my life.
    I have tried those Konjac noodles and find them really good. I have just bought 24 packets of rice/noodles/pasta on a groupon offer so they should keep me going.
    I too suffer from constipation so will try physllium husk as soon as I can get some. Bought some senocot yesterday for that purpose so will use that tonight but physllium sounds more natural.
    Will definitely start drinking green tea. Can’t blame having babies for the belly fat. They are 31 and 28 now!!
    Thanks again Ginette and here’s to the next half stone.
    Topsy

Hi Topsy

Senacot doesn’t work for me. I have taken three and four and they have absolutely no effect. The difference as far as I can see is that you need to lose less of the Glucommanan, I like the fact that I can use it in cooking and this can be a long term thing to keep the fibre going in and me at a good weight. I have lost nearly four and a half now and so I can get into clothes I haven’t worn for years.

Like you I have a worry that when I eventually lose the weight I will stay there. I believe maintenance is one day a week fasting. I hope that will do it. I am worried about losing the momentum but I have a long way to go yet. How much do you still need to lose?

You and I better stick together!!

I know a friend who was in his late nineties when he died. He always fasted one day a week.

Ginette

Hi Ginette

I am on the green tea. Have had about four cups today so far.

Yes we will stick together. I started on the 06 January so only two days in front of you. Got Christmas and the New Year over, had a good think and then started. Health is the primary reason for doing this. The doctors kept saying I was diabetic and I now have to have yearly eye tests for diabetic retinopathy. My sugar levels are now normal. My weight has been a lifelong battle. I vowed I wouldn’t be fat and forty and I was. I vowed I wouldn’t be fat and fifty and I was. The big 60 is next year so……here’s hoping.
    I am not sure how much more I need to lose. Probably a stone. I think I have lost a very similar amount of weight to you. It doesn’t matter if you have more to lose I will be with you every step of the way and we can help each other on the journey and in trying to maintain our weight loss.
    I am going to my son’s tonight for tea and cake. Have not ate much today in anticipation. I am noticing small changes with my choices which can only be good. For instance on the weekend we were away and I ordered the small breakfast not the large. Yipee.
    Topsy

Hi Topsy

Yes I was overweight at 10. I was about a normal weight at 7 years old and between these two ages my parents were going through a difficult divorce. I have lost weight twice, a lot of weight but I have always put it back on. I hope that this time with 6:1 I can maintain.

You must feel so great to not be far from target. Yes I agree it doesn’t matter what other people have to lose we need to support them whatever. I am pleased to have someone to buddy me. Where abouts do you live?

I am in England. I always think that it is a shame that we can’t send private messages to people. But techs have a hard time of it as I got a spam message removed from this thread and three yesterday on different threads.

There is a fast friends Facebook site where there are only a few of us. About 15 at the last count. A nice site shiv came about from people on the threads wanting to share things. Have a look for it. If not look for applepie on an old post and click on her profile her email is there and she will join you to it. It is a closed group so messages from there will not be shown on the normal newsfeed.

Ginette

Hi all,

I am back from my holiday and am pleased to see some new faces on here welcome to you all.

I am pleased to announce I have only gained 3lb in 4 weeks away and that includes my birthday celebrations it would have been a lot more prior to 52.

My back is playing up I have been to see the Dr this morning and he has referred me back to the pain clinic for some cryogenic treatment so no exercise for me at the moment!

Good luck to you all be it fast or feast..it’s fast for me today…

Audrey

Do agree with other posts, but as a bus pass holder and habitual dieter on and off over the years the Fast diet is the easiest to keep to because of its excellent flexibility. I think the whole country should be on it and save the NHS a fortune!! I have found the weight stays off but only if I do without lunch quite regularly and not just on fast days. I find this quite easy as it saves time, money, though I do tend to live off black coffee instead. When I am lighter I feel healthier in every way so thank you Michael especially.

Hi All

That is interesting Angelina. Food for thought (Lol) when I reach where i want to be.

Hi Ginette

I can remember when I was 11 weighing the same amount as my teacher!

I live in the south west of England. I will have a look on facebook and see if I can join the group.

Feeling pleased because was very careful yesterday and had a piece of cake at my son’s and felt that was still within my TDEE.

Fasting today – no problems so far. Am making chili for tonight with some Konjac rice.

Still wondering when and if I should weigh myself. Getting closer to that point I think but then I don’t want it to weaken my resolve and for it to play with my head. What does everyone think?

Topsy

Audrey – that is such an achievement just 31bs in four weeks. Well done you.

Hi Audrey

Welcome back, we have missed you here. The weight will soon come off. I hope you can get some relief for your back.

Hi Angelia

Welcome to the thread, yes I agree everybody ought to do it one day a week for health reasons and obviously two days for weight loss.

I very rarely eat breakfast and have a very late lunch and it seems to work.

I am sure that Michael Mosely didn’t realise how many people’s lives he was going to change by his experiment.

Hi Topsy

You and I were both overweight children then and have obviously had problems for many years. I hope we both manage to now continue with this long term. Maybe when one of us is getting weak the other can give a good talking to and vica versa. 🙂

Yes Konjac is a good product. I hope over time it gets cheaper though.

Well if you weigh yourself on a Saturday you can relax at the weekend and you have 18 weeks until Christmas so if you lose just over 1/2 a pound a week that is 9lbs before Christmas. 1lb a week is one and a half stone. I always aim for an average of 1lb a week. If I stop losing at this level I then change to 4:3, it does work for me.

But the choice is yours. Do you measure yourself?

Ginette

Hi everyone,

Yippee its Friday. Have had a gin and tonic at lunchtime plus a pulled pork burger. Delicious so not feeling guilty one bit. (Alright a little as I had some chips as well).

Hi Ginette

Yes keep posting and stay strong together.

I have made a decision that I am not going to weigh until Jan 06 2016. If I lose 1/2 lb from then until now I will be happy but will take stock then as to where I am and what I want to be.

I am just going on my clothes and what size I am.

I was thinking that apart from the fast days the other days are also very different. Prior to 06 Jan this year my calorie intake was probably 3-4,000 per day so even on a feast day my calories are cut in half. This is what ism life changing I guess.

Going to a barbecue tomorrow and family roast on Sunday so maybe will have to do three fast days next week.

Have a good weekend everyone whatever you are doing.

Topsy

Hi All

At long last I got those Morrisons mushrooms. The once with leek, cheese and bacon and lattice pastry. They were very nice but they did shrink. They are 100 calories each. I had them with another new food, well new to be that I saw recconended this was weight watchers pork Cumberland sausages. These are 60 calories each. I only had two as I wanted to have some cantaloupe melon which is my favorite.

So a good fast day, I have also got my car back after two weeks without it. So independent again!!

Hi Topsy

I like your Gin and tonic comment 🙂 and lunch sounded lovely. I take it that you mean half a pound a week before January. Yes food does cut down a lot on 5:2 and although I think I still have non stop eating days they are much less than before. Carbohydrates start me off, this I can guarantee.

I think I am going to start make soup again soon. I am going to make an effort to add more fibre as well so I shall add half a can of cannelini beans in a pot to increase fibre content……or maybe a can. They are really high in fibre so they will be good about half an hour before the main meal, I liquidise my soup as I have one of those soup makers so they will just dissapear with everything else.

I have read that fibre is one of the keys to burning tummy fat. I seem to be shrinking nicely everywhere else but could do with that reducing gradually as well. It also makes you feel full for longer so that is good especially on a fast day.

Hi Nemum haven’t seen you in a while, the soup made me think of you.

I am pleased to say I have an extra slice to watch now. I love bake off I didn’t start watching it until last year.

How’s everyone doing?

Have a good weekend all.

Ginette

Ginette, glad you got your car back, have you tried tesco healthy living Cumberland sausage? They taste really good and are 74kcal each. We prefer them to “normal” sausage as they are less fatty.

I have found my tastes have changed and I no longer like fatty/greasy food.

I am feeling better today, had a good fast day yesterday and over 10 hrs sleep last night so I think I have shaken off the pain killers now. My back is still very sore but I prefer pain to sitting in chair out of my head and feeling sick, which is what the tablets were doing to me!

Have a great weekend everybody,

Audrey

Hi everyone,
    Hope all are well. Have had a ridiculous over eating weekend. Just sat here trying to get it in proportion. Watching Les Mis which is not helping. Am off to bed. Tomorrow a fast day and a new start. Two steps backwards but not a total landslide if I get back to it tomorrow. Oh dear what a battle.
    Good night all.
    Topsy

Hi Audrey

Yes, I am thankfully independent again.

I shall try the sausages you suggest another time. I will probably eat them on a non fast day. I don’t shop at tesco very often and apart from the heck sausages I normally don’t eat other processed meats. I do like a treat once in a while though.

I saw a program on Heck and I know that they have very high meat content in their sausages and only good ingredients.

Hi Topsy

Yes I had a day like that last week. Seem to have been in control this weekend though. We all get these days, the secret is just to keep it to one day, this way you don’t really do any damage.

You will hopefully return to normal now the week is here again.

This is the reason I am doing 4:3 as I was getting too out of control, this reins me in.

I am sure you will be ok after you have done your first fast of the week.

Ginette

Hi everyone

Fasting day for me so feel much more in control. Just been reading some of the posts on this forum including some old posts which were really helpful regarding sugar addiction. Its a great forum to get us back on track.

Hi Ginette

Am now on the physllium husk – senokot didn’t work and also green tea by the bucket so should have squeaky clean insides. Lol.

Going to add cannelini beans or other beans as well to my diet so have more fibre as suggested by you.

Going to try not having carbs for breakfast tomorrow in the hope that it gives me a good start and no cravings.

Have a good evening everyone.

Topsy

Hi Topsy

Senakot doesn’t work for me either. I will interested to see how you find the psyllium husk. I had bare naked noodles today which is made from the Konjac root, the same as Glucommanan. I was feeling hungry so I had some about an hour ago with a pint of water. These is about 10g of fibre in this.

I don’t eat breakfast and only have a late lunch. On fast days I try not to eat around tea time, I still have some calories left for later.

Yes my canellini beans are being believed today. I just hope that the weight starts moving again soon.

Ginette

Hi all,

The family and I had a week away again, great fun, making memories for our boys. I even dosed myself up with ibuprofen and did a 5 mile walk up a mountain and back, and boy did I suffer afterwards, but really proud of myself. What I’m not proud of is the eating that went on last week, there was so much of and so often too, I did manage a 24 hour fast 8am – 8am that was after a hearty cooked breakfast, I was almost craving a fast. So back now and I have really enjoyed my fast today, I think I may be 6cals over my 500 but hey, I need a 40 calorie hot choc before bed.

Ginnette,
    Well done on the continuing weight loss. Those morrisons lattices sound lovely. I still haven’t tried the Heck sausages. I feel like I need to get the boys back to school, to get back into a sensible eating routine.

Topsy T,
    I like you’re attitude, and I hope you’re barbecue went well, I think 5:2 is liberating to allow us to enjoy indulgent (and delicious) occasions like that and not feel guilty because we can take control by fasting. Taking control of our eating is not about our naughty moments (be they barbecues cakes or a huge cooked breakfast) it’s what we do about it afterwards. I feel that 5:2 has empowered me.

Strength to you all
    NEmum

Hi ladies,

I have just been to the Dr’s and had my blood test, normally after I would go to morrisons for a big breakfast. Today however when oh asked if we were going I said NO.

Perhaps at long last my mindset is changing?

Oh I also have had a crafty hop on scales 1 lb loss so far, fast day today and proper weigh in day tomorrow

Welcome back Nemum

Good luck everyone

Audrey

Audrey,

Thanks for the welcome back and well done on the weight loss before a fast day too, that’s impressive! After my wonderful and indulgent week away with the family I wasn’t going to weigh myself until at least 3 fast days in, but I couldn’t resist this morning and was pleasantly surprised at only 1lb on. I’m putting that down to the mini fast I did mid holiday to give myself a rest from all the food that was going about. Like you with not going to Morrison’s (well done for that) we are learning control.

I made a fabulous accompaniment to my chicken breast last night of 12 pasta swirls, it didn’t look much until I mixed in a sauce of half an onion finely chopped and fried in 2 squirts of 1 cal spray, mixed with fromage frais and a squirt of tomato puree, delicious and the whole thing was only 230 calories.

Have a good fast day

NEmum

Hi Nemum

I am glad you managed some time away, what rotten weather we are having with all of the children having time off from school!!

Well sone on only putting on a pound, I call that a success. It will soon come off as well. The lattices did taste nice but at £2 a time were expensive. I have bought some pastry and I will cut it into small squares and put it in the freezer, this way I can make them myself, well that is the plan anyway.

Dinner sounded nice.

Hi Audrey

Oh how you make me feel guilty! You being so good and me being so bad, I am well and truly far to interested in chocolate at the moment and when I eat one thing it triggers me off. I know that the gym would help me crave less of these types of foods, but after paying out £600 on my car I can’t afford it yet so it will have to wait.

I know the doctor used to refer people and it was free, while my doctor was happy to refer me and the gym contacted me they mentioned price. They now charge £25 a month.

This is an enormous amount for someone who is just starting out and may not use it much. My muscles have got to get used to it and that means teasting them and only doing a little to start out with. You would think that being obese was a reason for the government to fund it wouldn’t you.

Hi Topsy and everybody else

Ginette

Morning ladies,

Have been on scales have lost 2lb, then 1,5 then 1 lb ……think scales are broken. …..

Can definitely say I’ve lost weight not sure how much may try again later, if I get the same twice can log that in my book!

Keep in touch, happy fasting

Audrey

Hi All

Just wanted to say they have the bare naked rice in Morrisons. I think I shall have it next week with curry or something else spicy. It is about £1.95.

Ginette

Thanks ginette

Will pick some up when I next go

Audrey

Audrey

I found that it wasn’t on the same shelf as the bare naked noodles, in fact I am lucky I saw it as it was on the bottom shelf!!

Fast day today to make up for my excesses yesterday.

Ginette

Hi All

Fast day didn’t go to plan, no problem until I got to my Stepmothers and saw here dishing up a dinner for me!! She had forgotten it was a fast day so I didn’t have the heart to tell her I couldn’t eat it after she had cooked it.

So fasting today with no one around to scupper my plans!!

As the weather has changed I find that I am thinking more of soups. So I have been looking for some low calorie recipes. Here is a link to them.

http://www.fatsecret.com/recipes/collections/nutrition/low-calorie/under-100-calorie/Soups.aspx

Also if you are feeling lazy and want to buy one, glorious skinny licious San Antonio is a soup that is in the chilled cabinet. So just need to heat up. The price is about £1.99 and it saves two. One portion is 99 calories and full of fibre so it will be very filling.

How is everybody doing?

Ginette

Ginette

Hi all

Just back from another few days away, the weather looked good so NEdad and I took the boys camping in Edinburgh – great trip but didnt manage a fast yesterday.

Ginette
    I had a wee look at your soup site, it looks great, lots of ideas. I think someone mentioned canelloni beans in another post but I cant remember for what, anyway I’m going to put them in a soup, maybe a creamy broccoli.

Love and strength to you all

NEmum

Morning all welcome back Nemum

I am on a fast day today so am having home made chilli con carne made with turkey mince, barlotti beans, kidney beans, mixed beans and lots of veggies served with bare naked rice! Comes in just over 200 kcal!

I am not to keen on the taste of the bare naked rice and noodles but they are filling and good for fast days.

Good luck to my fellow fasters.

Audrey

Audrey,

I’m still not sure about the Bare Naked stuff. It’s made from the Konjac root, which while on the face of it has fabulous weight reducing properties, including inhibiting the absorption of cholesterol and glucose. But along with the things that should go with a warning is it’s ability to absorb water, while this is good in the stomach because it makes you feel fuller for longer, if the food gets lodged in the oesophagus before reaching the stomach it could swell, and there has been scare stories of people needing to be operated on to remove the mass. Also if anybody has any reflux, they should be very wary of this product.

Rant over.

But your chilli sounds lovely

NEmum

Nemum

You make it sound so appetising hehe!

I will be careful when I eat it, i have given it a VERY LONG rinse today as it does seem to have a strange taste/smell.

The chilli is really hot and spicy so hopefully the rice will take on the taste of that.

Have a good day

Audrey

Hello, new here (sort of). Have been reading along in this thread. I too am a lady of a certain age (48, post menopausal, on hrt). You ladies are so nice, helpful and encouraging! I can’t help but jump in. I’ve tried the 5:2 before and didn’t seem to help. So, back at it again. I was feeling exasperated by my weight and decided to give a real go this time. I am trying. Been doing it for a three weeks now. Not really much loss, maybe a pound or two. And, no, clothes not looser either. But am determined. One problem I have is that the day after a fast I am very hungry. I am being careful not to overeat on these days. I do MyFitnessPal somewhat so I can keep in range. My goal is to do the 5:2, even if I see very little results, until late October (my birthday). I’d like to lose 12-15 pounds. I am so encouraged by other’s results. Even if I only lose 5 pounds and keep it off the whole time this will be success as i’ve had such a hard time since the goofy menopause thing (!!). Another problem is that I do get incredibly weak on fast days. Maybe it’s just me. I’m going to try to come up with a standard meal plan for the 500cal days so it’ll be a no brainer. I’d like to NOT eat on those days but I’m a busy working mom/wife and, as I said, i get really weak on fast days. Well, that’s all for now. I’ll keep reading all you ladies wonderful posts and chime in when fitting! Thanks!! I already feel like i have friends here! That alone is encouraging.

Hi veronica and welcome to our group.

I too use my fitness pal as I think the TDEE on here is too high. I try to keep to between 1200 and 1400 kcal per day on feast days but usually stick to the lower end. I started my journey in Jan this year and have lost 22lbs. I had lost more but have overeaten whilst on holiday.

I found on average I could lose 1.5lb a week this was with diet and exercise. 5 2 is not quick but it is steady and doable.

I am sure some of the others will be along soon to welcome you. If u need help with anything just shout out.

Audrey

Hi all

Hi Nemum,

That was possibly me that told you as I bought some for that reason. There is a lot of fibre in beans and they seem ideal to use. I have heard about fibre for years but I have been looking into this and the soluble fibre in beans, peas, porridge, Brussels sprouts and the like is very high. Also in Soya. Although I am not a vegetarian I do use some of these products, namely soya mince as they are much lower in fat. In face tomorrow I intend looking a batch of dried soya mince. I used to use this years ago and I thought I would try it again. A little goes a long way so ideal for fast days.

You are right about Konjac, you have to drink water with this as it swells up in your stomach. This helps it swell and also saves you getting constipated. There is no mad rush to the loo though and it is far kinder than a laxative. You also have to drink water with any fibrous food as this will tell it pass through the system. This is why I was getting constipated plenty of fibre but not enough water. It is the tablets that caused a problem as they could get stuck in your throat, this from what I have read was very rare, also people with throat problems shouldn’t take them.

Any supplements are now sold in capsules, either this or the powder is good. I have been taking two scoops (which are tiny) of powder with some water 45 mins before a meal. With another glass of water to follow and they a cup of tea. So plenty of fluids. The proof will be if I don’t need laxatives and if my cholesterol lowers. Also it does make you feel fuller, I have them before lunch and dinner as I don’t eat breakfast.

Hi Audrey

Yes those rice should be fine, you just need to add the flavour to them as they haven’t got any of their own. They do come in some strange liquid but that washes off after a couple of rinses. The Konjac rice and noodles are both made up of Konjac fibre (also called Glucomanan and elephant yam) this is mixed with water to make the noodles. They showed them being made in a documentary on channel 4 I think called food unwrapped. It was fascinating.

Let me know how you have found them. I have bought some rice but so far not tried it. I am back eating lots of vegetables again to see if the weight starts to move.

Hello Veronica

Sorry I have been rambling on as I like to answer the posts in order. Welcome to the thread, it is always good to see a new face here.

I agree with you about the TDEE, this is only showing how much energy someone of our size and weight should burn every day, so you will need to be below this. I use my fitness pal as well.

I lost regularly for six months without problems but changed what I was doing about 6 weeks ago it the last 5 weeks I have lost one pound!! This is obviously down to the change in diets and so now I have changed it back to see how this effects things, when you have a winning formula why change it?

I have been thinking about the reason you are not losing and I know how frustrating it is. Are you weighing everything and measure calories, or are you using guesswork? I did weigh and count everything for about three weeks at the start and I do now every once in a while for a week. I felt as if I had to refresh myself on different calorie content. I still do check all new foods.

Maybe it is the types of food that you are eating that is the reason you are not losing. Look back and see what you are eating and see. I must say that for me even if I came in under calories and as well as doing three fast days I did not lose. The difference was I reduced the amount of vegetables I ate. On a fast day now I have at least 300g of vegetables again.

Before this I always ate on a fast day fruit at lunch time and chicken and vegetables or fish and vegetables for my main meal. I have always still had about 5 cups of tea on a fast day and I allow for the milk. I changed to a slice of wholemeal, egg and beans for dinner and maybe a tomato and mushroom. Occasionally I would have noodles with a spicy sauce and a few vegetables in with the sauce. So I am back to the old routine this week.

I have been doing this since Januuary and I have lost just over 3 stone and a stone in the 9 months before just by cutting back on some foods.

I hope that you find the answer to why you are not losing. Did you measure? This is important. I must say I always have a struggle losing weight in the summer but not in the winter, I am sure the vegetable play a big part for me. I normally eat salad in the summer so maybe that is the difference.

I must admit I buy frozen vegetable for two reasons, firstly they have more vitamins than fresh ones (unless picked from your own garden) secondly I can have a huge variety that are ready to cook. That isn’t to say that I don’t buy courgettes my onions and tomatoes and some vegetables but I keep some standard ones in. Broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, Brussel sprouts and peppers are used on a regular basis.

I keep beans in cans, canellini and kidney as I add this to mince and soup, I also keep a few tins of tomatoes and some baked beans in. I won’t have a shortage any time soon.

Ok All, I have been rambling on for far too long and so I shall end here. I hope your fasts went well Nemum and Audrey, I am fasting tomorrow.

Boy can I talk! ………..

Night All

Ginette

Hi All

So quite on this thread, where is everybody, how are things going?

I am pleased to report a 2lb loss this week of course one is that I put on last week but still an overall loss.

Let’s hope things continue in this way now.

Ginette

Viewing 50 posts - 5,251 through 5,300 (of 7,330 total)

You must be logged in to reply.