Hello – Starting on Monday

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  rajiv1974 6 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• Hi All,

Been on Brad Pillon 5:2 for 2 months now but dont think the 7pm – 7pm is working .
    Planning to move to the original 5:2 and doing 250 calories for BF and 250 for dinner on fast days.

Cheers and glad to join.

Brad Pilon is into weight lifting. His fasting is tightly coupled with heavy exercise. I don’t remember ever reading about it being a 5:2 plan, and I’ve read most of his books. He just doesn’t like fasting more than 24 hours. There are also the OMAD (One Meal A Day) fasters that typically limit their calories to around 1400 per day. Often these people fast everyday and tend to avoid exercise. Of coarse there are wide variations in what people do.

I personally see a few ways of doing 5:2.

1) Eating up to 500 (or even 800) calories on FDs and then being restrictive on NFDs. Here calorie restriction is accounting for the bulk of the work but hopefully the fasting keeps the metabolism up.

2) Doing a water fast for 36+ hours on FDs and just eating normally on NFDs. Here one is depending more on hormone levels to get rid of the fat. Often this can be a slower but possibly more profound way to loss the fat because one is pushing the body is to using fat over sugar.

3) Eat a ketogenic diet on NFDs and then do true water fast on FDs. This is probably the fastest way to burn the fat, however there could be negatives long term from the higher fat/protein consumption. (That is highly debatable.)

I’m sure one could come up with more variations, however the key is there is roughly 36+ hours of fasting twice a week. Night, fasting day and night is the typical 5:2 fasting approach. If you only go 24 hours and eat a normal to large meal that isn’t 5:2 the way it is practice here.

Hi Dykask

Thanks for the reply and letting me know on Brad’s diet thought it was similar to 5:2, this is what I did for day 1 and seems good to follow and see progress atleast for a month ( fat loss and muscle gain).

First fast day complete ;
    – Last meal Sunday 8:30 pm
    – Monday morning Protien shake (plant protein) 150 cal
    – Monday Night Chicken Salad – 240 cal
    – During day 1/2 carrot and 1/2 medium apple – 70 cal
    – workout on Monday morning weight training at gym

Fasting was easy and today Tuesday morning 8:30 am protein shake.

Thanks
    Rajiv

Hi Rajiv, that sounds like a typical FD many practice here. The key is to then only eat up to your TDEE on non-fast days. However determining what your TDEE really is can be a bit of an art.

Your protein intake sounds more like a body builder level. Maybe that is what you are doing. It is also a common trick to help cut fat since protein requires more energy to digest. I take it that you are trying to build lean body mass. In that case the scale might not be a friendly as a measuring tape!

Hi Dykask

Yes the weighing scale just does not move , in case last few months since I been building the scale has remained same and maybe gone up 2-4 pounds .
    Some movement down on the scale is always encouraging hope to see some results from 5:2.

So while I increase protein you are saying to cut fats within the tdee count .

Plan to do a dexa in two weeks

Hope to see fat percentage reduction if not on scale then in inches 🙂

I think the general advice is to cut back on carbs and increase fats if you have to. Carbs like bread, pasta, cakes, etc are very fattening.

Personally I push fruits and vegetables but avoid refined added sugar. I live in Japan and going low carb tends to be very expensive and restrictive but I tend to cut back on the portions of rice and noodles. Vegetables are carbs but they have lots of fiber and nutrition. My focus is more on nutrition than anything else. That is just what works for me.

My protein intake is low compared to most westerners. I’m slowly building muscle but my approach is too slow for most people. I took about six years to get from 106kg to my typical 84kg. (82.5 today but I just fasted yesterday.) For me it was about improving my health more than anything. If I stopped working out and kept up the diet my weight would probably drop into the upper 70’s over a year. I just like having some muscle. My body fat is around 18% to 20% … so I still have room to improve.

I am trying to get rid of body fat and get lean while increasing muscle (never achieved this ever)
    Hopefully I can try 5:2 and see where it goes .

5:2 has worked for me … learning to workout in the fasted state took some time but it is easier now that working out in the fed state for me. Losing body fat is the hardest part because you have to eat at least enough to build muscle. What has happened to me is my upper body and lower body have become lean but my middle still has a couple of good handfuls of fat in the front and about 1/3 of that in the back. It is like my body fat has move to my middle. However my mid-section around my belly button has gone from 96cm to 83cm since I started cutting back on sugar and started fasting. It is hard to image now that I was that much bigger, but my old pants will fall off me without a belt and they are really baggy.

Food and protein intake is easy for me since I have been doing it for few minutes the now .
    The belly fat is the issue which i will try and conquer with 5:2.
    Trying to keep proteins at 60-75gm on fast days

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply.