Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,902 replies, has 831 voices, and was last updated by  thinatlast 2 hours, 28 minutes ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 4,351 through 4,400 (of 28,006 total)

• Go MK88! Great result. You’ll be at your goal weight in no time. I agree the calorie counting can be unreliable. And the stated calories in a recipe is sometimes quite inaccurate. All this walking to work might become a habit! Did your OH get the job?

CM: have you converted the NYers yet? We have a couple of morbidly overweight friends in Hawaii, we’ve been very concerned about their health, or lack of it, for a long time. Having seen me on skype the other day, they’ve decided they will get on 5:2. They said they wouldn’t have recognised me if passing me in the street. Thank goodness, it will save their lives. I feel as we’re at the cutting edge of some kind of food revolution – I can’t work out why everyone isn’t doing it but I have converted 11 people now! Sometimes I see very young women who are already so overweight and destined for diabetes, I just want to help them change, I feel like handing them a card with two numbers on it. 5 and 2.

Purple – That loaf sounds delicious. I’m looking forward to trying a fig, walnut & fennel loaf when the visitors have left.
    MK88 – Wow, you are powering along. Well done on the loss this week. How’s OH going? Yes, I agree, MyFitnessPal does have a lot of discrepancies for the same items and I will try to confirm those numbers through another source as well.
    Thin – NYers do seem very interested, so have sent them the website address and will investigate more when back home.

So, for my weigh-in this week. Ta-Da & thank the Gods! I’m down .1 to 66.6 – the devil’s numbers so watch out!! Ok, now I know it’s nothing to right home about, but with booze, fish AND chips, curry AND rice, nibbles, wine, etc, etc. I’m VERY happy. I was sooo good last night sticking to mainly water, 1 glass of wine, and (almost) NO nibbles….you would have been proud of me!! Even OH & his daughter couldn’t believe how strong I was being…and it felt great getting into bed knowing I managed another FD even with visitors & entertaining as well. It CAN be done.
    More touristy things planned today. Must go, but will check in later.
    Have a great Friday. CM xx

Thin that is fantastic that your friends in Hawaii are undertaking 5:2, I have converted my Mum and her partner just this week which I am thrilled about. Neither of them are overweight but could stand to lose a few and if it means I have them around a bit longer, fantastic πŸ™‚ I’ve converted my sister too who is a bit overweight and only 22 but she is a procrastinator and keeps saying she ‘wants to do it’ and I just want to scream, THEN DO IT! JUST START!

CM, don’t you just love going to bed at the end of a FD with that sense of accomplishment? Well done you for resisting temptation! And that’s why you are an amazing 66.6 this week!! What a great result, well done.

Just had some yummy sushi for lunch, I just feel so grateful for good food after a FD and want to treat my body well! This WOL is such a lovely way to care for your body.

MK88

Brilliant news CM. A loss is a loss and being allowed to indulge as you have this week is just a bonus. Well done with the self-restraint last night. You are highly motivated and deserve all the success this WOL has to offer.

I had a big shock on the scales this morning. 64.9. It’s as if they were scared of the number 65, finally dared to show it and then quickly moved along. In reality, I know it’s only temporary as I incorporated some of Dr M.’s fast exercise into my walk this morning, really pushed myself into a big sweat. Nevertheless, I did as Purple once suggested and took a photo of my feet on the scales!

MK88: Like your sister, I have a friend that is ‘gonna’ do this when she gets round to it. We’ve been walking buddies twice a week since 2001. She has watched me drop all this weight and still thinks it’s all too hard. I’m not pushing her, but the whole family need to be doing it. I think eventually she will but it is frustrating listening to her excuses when I know they would all benefit so much.

I agree with you – there’s such a sense of accomplishment when you breeze through a fast day.

Thin, sorry I missed your question! Thank you for asking, OH felt he nailed his second interview and is feeling confident he will be offered this job πŸ™‚ He got an email this morning with links to psych tests and criminal history checks he has to pass but they are wanting to have the role secured before easter so there won;t be much mucking about! Very exciting opportunity for him πŸ™‚

That is tough that your friend has procrastinated so much, I wish people knew how simple it really is and that it doesn’t require the effort that other diets and exercise regimes do. They can only find out by trying it! You’ve just got to get stuck in don’t you. No time like the present!

64.9 is fantastic! Your are officially ‘under 65kg’ πŸ™‚ Well done!

Have a great weekend all πŸ™‚

Fingers crossed for Mr MK88! Yes, it is a shame especially as we weigh in together every Thursday, have done for years through all the losses and inevitable re-gains, now she’s just losing a kilo, gaining a kilo in a vicious cycle, hovering around 93kgs. Her daughters (19 and 20) are obese and heading for some serious health issues with a Dad who already has diabetes. She exercises like crazy but her diet leaves a lot to be desired – well actually, I don’t think it leaves ANYTHING to be desired!

I love reading your posts and in time I will get to know you all. You sound like old friends and I really hang out for the latest news. I have to admit that I have been fighting this weight war for a very long long time. Up down up down, I have a weight diary that goes back to 1990 and I can track where there have been hiccups in my life by my weight gains. At my heaviest I was 109kg, that was the marriage breakdown. 19 years later 87kg, somewhere inbetween I did manage to get to 71kg. They say for my height, 167cm, I should be around 66kg, a daunting and I thought unachievable goal this late in life. 1st February this year I started the 5:2 journey and it sounds like some of you have done the same. Today I had my two month weigh in, I was a little disappointed as it turned out the person who measured me last month did it wrong but I still lost a few cms and another 1.5kg, so my loss so far is 3.5kg. My BMI and body fat are also going down. My new scales arrived today so I will be able to track myself daily. You are all amazing and I hope you realise how much hope and inspiration you give. Who needs weight counsellors when you have this remarkable site. I’m really looking forward to this journey as it does seem achievable if you just keep believing that it will happen. Have a great weekend. I’m having lunch with a friend who hasn’t seen me since i started this so it will be interesting to see if I get any comments.

Good job Intesha. We’re all here to change a lifetime of bad habits. You’ve made a great start! It can be hard to remember who said what as the pages fill up, I think I joined this forum on page 43. People come and go. Please continue to share your progress on this journey, have a whinge, celebrate the success, whatever’s on your mind! Enjoy your lunch and your new scales.

Woohoo Thin!!!! In the 64’s in the blink of an eye. Forgot about the exercise being responsible 64 is 64, cos the scales said so!! I’ve got some catching up to do. Sooo happy for you. Gotta remember that photo idea with the scales.
    Good luck to Mr MK88 & his job interviews ….hope it all goes well for you both.
    Intesha you are doing so well. I’m with you, I truly didn’t think it would be possible to get my weight back down, being in my mid-50 & with everyone saying the only way is UP at this age. Rubbish. You can do anything you set your mind too, and although I sound like a broken record, this DOES work. Don’t get disheartened when you have moments of frustration with the scales. Things will get moving again if you follow the rules & be patient. We ARE all friends here & I really look forward to reading the days posts too. I’ve never been on a forum before, but without you all I wouldn’t be where I am today. It’s like having a bunch of buddy’s along for the ride. Thanks gang.
    ….and yes, we should get business cards with 5:2 Change Your Life! printed on them. We could save some lives & save the government a fortune in the process.
    CM xx (from the banks of the Swan River…cheers!)

Thin, I had a chuckle at the desirability of the friend’s diet. Spells it all out, self-restraint and discipline need not apply!

Intesha, I’m about the same height as you. I have been doing 5:2 for about eighteen months. You have made an excellent start, with that first step being beginning on this regime, and now showing positive weight loss. Have you measured yourself? I didn’t think of doing that, but as the clothes get too big I know I have reduced both weight and size. Let us know the feedback from your friend.

Well done, all those who have recorded losses on their scales or tape measures. Excellent efforts (even with built-in lapses) πŸ™‚

Purple, my confession. Topsy is no more. πŸ™ Unfortunately we do not eat sourdough bread – we are all out at work during the week, and not enough was being eaten in the weekend. I will stick with making a healthy loaf in the breadmaker at the weekends for the current time, but have enjoyed the experiment, and will keep the recipe. Roll on retirement!

Hi everyone. I need your help. Seven weeks ago I started the 5:2 plan and in the first week I was thrilled to have lost 1.1kg! The second week I put on 0.4kgs. Since then I have put on and lost between 200 and 300gms each week! The upshot is in 7weeks I’ve only lost 1.1kgs. I’m getting quite disheartened as I’ve been exercising 5 days a week and trying to eat reasonably well on non fast days. Any ideas??? Are other people losing this slowly. I really need to lose at least 20kgs – preferably more and want this to work.

Hi Life and welcome:

If you have not lost weight in six weeks, you probably are eating too much. See number 3 in this post: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

If you started exercising when you started the diet, the exercise may be slowing your weight loss – see number five in the above post.

Good Luck!

Hi LT and welcome! Here are some tips that might help: Firstly, have you read the official 5:2 book? If not, do yourself a favour and buy it. Calculate your TDEE and make sure you keep below that on non-fast days. On the FDs, make sure you’re rigidly sticking to less than 500 calories if you’re female, 600 if you’re male. This includes counting cals in milk with coffee, tea bags, drinks, etc. Any exercising you do on FDs doesn’t change the 500 calorie limit. You haven’t given any personal statistics other than wanting to lose 20kgs so I’m assuming the generally accepted 500/600 calorie limit applies to your situation.

If you’ve already done the above, other things you could do are making sure you’re drinking lots of water on FDs and examine exactly what you’re eating on both fast and feast days. For some of us, we have to combine 5:2 with reduced carbs for example. You could be over-exercising.

Take lots of measurements – waist, thighs, hips, arms, etc because it may be that you’re off to a slow start in kg loss but are still losing cms. This is advice I didn’t heed and wish I had because we all plateau at times on the scales.

Others, who’ve been doing this a lot longer than I, will have other advice and tips. Keep posting and tell us what you’re doing and how it’s going. It WILL work for you so don’t give up!

P.S. Hi CM and Barata, I didn’t mean to ignore your posts!

Hi Barata, thank you for your input. I go to Curves gym and they have monthly weigh and measures so I am able to track myself monthly as well as weighing daily and now being able to feel the difference in my clothes. Losing weight is a very personal journey and I think once we have committed and found that something actually works without resorting to food deprivation it gives us more motivation. How has your weight loss been? Charlie’s Mum I think we listen too much to the negatives and sometimes this is our excuse not to do something, also putting time limits, like saying if I haven’t lost X amount by a certain time it doesn’t work. previously when I saw older women looking trim and terrific I would say well they haven’t been through what I have and there is no way I could ever look like that. But now I am going to give it a damn good try. My first goal is to get under 80kg. Yesterday I weighed in at 84.2, starting weight was 87.

Hi all. Welcome Life! Yes, listen to all the good advice here and you’ll be alright & definitely watch your eating on non FDs. Carbs REALLY affect me, so do some experimenting…Don’t eat any in the evening. You might like to complete your profile so we know a little more about you. We all help each other here, as we go thru our 5:2 journey. It DOES work so keep at it. We’re here to help & support you. Draw a line today, measure yourself & start a new FD on Monday & start heading towards to new you. Good luck.
    Hi Barata – Awww no more Topsy! Takes a bit of attention doesn’t it.
    Hi Thin! Over a Penguin Island with NYers. Beautiful day.
    Have a great weekend everyone!
    Cm xx

Hi everyone! Happy weekend! I have only been going 7weeks so still feel very much like a newbie although I did officially start originally in Oct 13 after the Horizon programme had aired in NZ, just seemed to make so much sense to me!! Lost weight last year but put it all back on again and it decided to bring along some of it’s mates to keep it company!! Now it has all been told in no uncertain terms that the party is over and it all has to go, friends an all! Seems to be understanding me so far!! Planned it out quite well by chance, having a FD today so can have a couple of guiness tomorrow night to celebrate the Black Caps win!! Plan to have crackers, dips, salami and cheese for dinner tomorrow night so don’t have to cook, will make a welcome change for me plus I won’t have to miss any of the game!!

I guess their will be lots more of us out there watching the game tommorrow????

Enjoy your weekend!!:-):-)

Dream on Turnabout!!!! Go the Aussies. CM x

Great start Intesha. Of course you can do it. I’m 58, at my worst I was 86kgs, I can’t believe I let myself get to that point but that’s all behind me now. When you get into the 70s, we’ll all be here cheering for you.

CM, those NYers will be glad to get home for a nice rest. Have fun on Penguin Island with them, yes it’s a perfect day here in Perth.

Turnabout & CM, no idea what you’re talking about. Cricket? What part of the UK do you come from Turnabout?

I’m with you CM I have to admit I’m not a greAt sports fan but having Dad live with me I don’t have an option, so we will be watching the Aussies win tomorrow!!!! Thin how long have you been on the 5:2?

Intesha, I started 5:2 in August last year. Lost 13kgs since then. Before that, it took me from Jan-Aug to shed 5kgs, so 18kgs so far but the 5:2 method was a lot less painful!

CM, I wondered who would be the first to bite!!! Hahaha!

Hi Thin, originally from Cambridgeshire but lived in the North West, near the little village of Hayfield before we shifted to NZ 19 yrs ago, can’t believe it’s gone so quickly!! Heading back this June for hols, catch up with friends and family, great to se them all again, but could never go back there to live permanently. How about you? You from the UK??

Yes, Shoreham-by-sea, Sussex – but I always say Brighton for those who don’t know the area. After uni, I left England to live in the USA where I met OH. We’ve been in Perth since the early 90s. Could have easily settled in NZ and sometimes wish we had, been many times and love it. Never thought I would want to return to the UK but lately I find I do envy my brother who can spend a weekend in Switzerland or zip over to Paris for a day. I wouldn’t mind having a few more options a bit closer – those 23 hour flights are getting more than tedious these days! Your friends won’t recognise you when you go back this time!

Checking in: we flew to Christchurch today, and had dinner tonight at a place down the road from our motel. As we discussed a few weeks ago the plate sizeswere large so we had 1 main meal and ordered a green salad and split these, then 1 dessert between us also, DH had 1 glass of Cab sauv, what else would you have in NZ, and I had sparkling water (I’m a no alcohol gal).

Saw my GP for 2 nd follow up after my low BP incident landed me in an ambulance and emergency, and I’m continuing on my new 1/2 dose of BP medication, and better equipped to pip another incident in the bud for when I have to delete BP medication for good, as my weight goes down.

OH has just had cholesterol/tryglicerides/ etc tests done, and his cholesterol is now way down in very healthy low territory. For someone with Familial Hypercholesterolaemia, and consequent heart attack in his mid 30’s,and years on statins that only did a moderate amount of lowering his results, this is such an amazing result!

For the newbies, I’ve been able to lose on 5:2. I’m 64 and have a forced sedentary lifestyle from severe debilitating symptoms after a very severe (unknown) viral incident 17 yrs ago. I cannot exercise or do cardio at all. I am nowhere near doing 10,000 steps a day. If I get over 4000 it’s a good day. I had nowhere else to go or anyother way I could possibly lose weight other than 5:2, and the only thing left I could do to improve my health was to get back to a normal weight, for me at 169cm or 5’6″, is 58-60 kgs. The weight went on after my post viral life began. I lost 10 kgs over several years, lost another 2kgs over 2 months last year, and couldn’t go further. I was literally praying for something to help me get the last 22 kgs off, when 5:2 made itself known to both OH and I seperately but around the same few weeks. We started 5:2 on 17 th November. I was 81.2kgs and currently I am 73.4 kgs.

I’ve had a cold for a couple of weeks, in bed for 1 of those and came good enough to go on our holiday 2 days ago. Very rushed packing BUT WE’re here. No weight lost in the last 2 weeks, but I can really tell the difference in my functioning with that 8 kgs lost on 5:2 so far.

Thank you everyone for your encouragement and friendship through this journey/ adventure we’re all on together!!! Will check in when I can while we’re travelling around πŸ™‚
    Cheers,
    Merry

Congratulations Merry, thank you for sharing your story. What’s that saying ‘when the student is ready the teacher appears’ something like that. I am blessed to have good health but I am the same age and height as you. You are an inspiration. I do 4 x 30 min gym sessions a week and have to push myself at times to get in the car to go. After all that you have been through and have still managed to lose that amount of weight is a true testament to the 5:2. I think 58-60kgs is a bit low for our height but if I could get to 66 I would be a very very happy person.

Enjoy your holiday and look forward to following your progress. You are amazing.

Sorry about the late reply Thin, we had the most terrific storm last night, the lightning show was just fantastic, haven’t had a storm like that for so many years, but, lost connection!! Only been to Brighton once ever, beautiful architecture though, you don’t appreciate what you have on your doorstep until it’s too late!! I know what you mean about the long flights, they seem to get longer! Spending a day sightseeing in London with little sis and family, BIL’s birthday treat, quite enjoy that, did it a couple of years ago when we were there, would never have dreamed of visiting the capital when I lived there!!! Flying back out of Paris too, would never have dreamed of making a weekend out of it in Europe back then either, how times change. I have to admit I do enjoy being in the city at times because we live semi rural here in NZ, so it’s nice to get back into civilisation but I can’t do it for long and wouldn’t survive long on a daily basis! Struggle with crowds and busy roads now we’ve been out of it for so long! It’s great really, can highly recommend stepping back from the rat race!!!

Just indulged in breakfast, wow, just lovely, only boilded eggs and soldiers but heavenly!! Off on the bicycle soon before back into watch the best cricket game ever!

Happy Sunday everyone!! Go the Black Caps!!!!!

Welcome to NZ Merryme and well done for losing so much weight with so much else happening too, sometimes the will to focus can be real tough, i guess it’s just so much easier to keep on with the habits of a lifetime eh!!! So congrats and keep sharing those meals!!:-):-)

Thank you for your advice and ideas simcoeluv, thinatlast and CharliesMum. I will keep at it and see what happens. I have read the book and bought a 5:2 recipe book. The book makes it sound so easy and says there are no “bad” foods and implies that you don’t have to keep counting calories on NF days or change your lifestyle that much. Well that’s not really so is it? With regard to exercise simcoeluv, it just doesn’t make sense to me that I can go from doing practically no physical activity to 5 days of exercising a week AND cut down to 500 calories 2 days a week and still not lose a reasonable amount of weight. I have taken measurements – hardly any change. Having said all that I do feel healthier and fitter so will continue doing the fast days. You have all done so well and are quite inspirational! Thanks again.

Hi,
    Reasonable weight gain on the 5:2 is 1 lb/week.
    You may be eating more calorie dense foods than you realize, so write down everything that you eat and drink for a week and see what the numbers are and how they compare to your TDEE.
    Just because you measure a particular part of your body, it doesn’t been that is the bit that is shrinking. Take a good long look at the naked body to assess for any changes and then try on all of your clothes. You may well now ‘see’ where you are shrinking from. This was how I realized that I was gaining a waist and that the fat on my back was disappearing.My dresses were hanging longer as the fat across my shoulders, back and above my chest had gone.See how your clothes hang as the weeks tick by and don’t let the tyranny of the scales hold you back or make you miserable.
    Exercise is good for you, will build more muscle, which will burn more calories hours after you finish exercise, so keep that up.It will also tone, so that you will look slimmer too. Win win.

Hi Life. I can understand your frustration but there must be a reason, because 5:2 does work. I’ve been going since early Feb & have lost 4.2kg & that’s with 2.5wks of travelling, entertaining & visitors – with little loss. Back to normal next week though. At least initially, record EVERYTHING on MyFitnessPal – it helped me understand the high/low calorie values of diff foods – & that’s my best advice. You can eat “normally” on NonFDs, ie UP to your TDEE. If you normally eat more, then YES, you WILL have to reduce your intake. Personally, after a FD there is no chance of me wanting to eat anywhere close to my TDEE because I just don’t feel like that quantity of food. Eat fresh healthy foods. Sure you can have a treat, but be careful. Reduce all carbs, particularly at night. I walk daily, but don’t exercise heavily. That will come later for me – my choice. Remember muscle weighs more than fat.

We’re here to help you. It’s working for us all here & many have lost a lot or have (or are close to) achieving their goal weight. So stick with it & don’t give up. Your clothes are looser & you feel healthier – all good things. Follow the guidelines & advice & soon you’ll be giving us your dropping numbers at Fridays weigh-in. Good luck & I mean that. CM x

Life – Sorry, just re-read your last post & also want to say that I have not found 5:2 to have been a huge change to my lifestyle, nor have I found it difficult. On the contrary, I’ve found it really easy, apart from the first week or two of FDs. You are correct, there are no “bad” foods, however logic tells us if you eat too much chocolate, bread, icecream or whatever, it’s not good. Everything in moderation….including moderation! Thinatlast & I both have issues with carbs & that’s why we mentioned it. Others don’t. Hope this helps you.
    ……oh, & maybe I shouldn’t mention the cricket.
    CM xx

Please note;
    A ton of feathers and a ton of steel are both the same weight= 1 ton..
    A lb of muscle and a lb of fat are exactly the same weight. What is different though is that muscle is far more dense.

Do have a look on the internet at the comparisons between 5 lb of fat and 5 lb of muscle. It is quite extraordinary.

For all of those who feel that 1 lb is not much of a loss, just look at 1 lb of fat to 1 lb of muscle…..it is a huge difference.

Great point Annette.
    Another way to clearly visualise this is to put 1kilo of grass-fed, lean beef, next to 1 kilo of butter, dripping or lard. The fat takes up a much greater volume than the meat.

The muscle in your body will take longer to grow, than your fat. But the muscle will use more calories to merely exist, especially if you continue to use them. So being as active as you can, is always a more positive thing than being inactive.

Also the 5:2 tends to assist in reducing the percentage of fat in your body overall, rather than your normal dieting regime, in which one loses BOTH muscle and fat. And if you ask me, I really don’t like the idea of losing muscle! I want to be an active, healthy older woman, who can run after grandkids and pick up and easily move things in the garden, as well as continue my massaging as a career.

It’s been great to continue reading everyone’s posts. And this is the place to pose questions, vent frustrations and generally ponder the meaning of how, why and when this way of life works. Well done all of you, especially Charlie ( your cows, work and studies! )

So far this is my 102nd week of 5:2 and I’ve been plateauing along for 8 weeks, but this isn’t all a bad thing as although my weigh is at a standstill, I’m feeling leaner and stronger. My waist is still shrinking!! As well as my boobs and thighs. My huge upper arms have gone back to a much more normal shape with my biceps and triceps gaining better tone and definition, So I can easily wear nice tops nowadays, without cutting off my circulation! Yay!

Waiting on my blood tests after seeing the doc on Thursday, she was happy at my progress and low blood pressure. She and her husband have both been 5:2ing, and gaining great results.

Have a lovely week everybody,
    Cheers!

Oh dear Turnabout, even I know who won the cricket, headline news last night. Hope you didn’t shed too many tears in your guinness. Just having a josh, I know nothing about cricket probably due to all those years living in the USA. Agree with all you say about London, on the last few visits we have spent a fair bit of time exploring it and enjoying the magnificent architecture, bridges, museums and galleries. Highly recommend the ‘war rooms’.

Merry: you and OH have been through the wringer, your progress is inspirational. Thanks for posting. My skinny OH (who does 6:1) just received blood test results and all the readings were a big improvement. Unfortunately, his previous tests were done over two years ago – long before fasting began, so scientifically the results can’t necessarily be attributed to 6:1 – but it’s good enough for me.

IHAW: good luck with the test results. After completing two years of 5:2, it’s great to read your continued progress.

LT: I totally appreciate your frustration, most of us didn’t need to examine feast day food types or quantities until we reached our first plateau. I interpret it as you can have ‘what you want’ on feast days but, as CM explained, only up to your TDEE. With more FDs under your belt, you will probably find that ‘what you want’ becomes less and healthier. The other thing is that we really need to learn to eat only what will be required to maintain the goal weight.

Annette: I read your thread about headaches and fast days. I’m happy to report that, since starting 5:2 last August, I have only had one very mild migraine. This is anecdotal, of course. But at times I was getting them every few weeks so I am encouraged.

I had a great fast day yesterday, 3 hours of kayaking before a 103 cal lunch. Then a 90 min walk followed by a 240 cal dinner. I hope all you Monday fasters have a good day today.

Thanks again for all your good advice everyone. I’m going to be more careful with what I eat on my NF days and TRY to ignore the scales! Annette and ihaveawaist, your comments really make sense to me and have encouraged me to keep up the exercise. Hopefully I can post again soon with good news. How good were our boys yesterday? – World Champions!

Hi all, no not too many tears shed into my Guiness!!! The better team won on the day and well done Aussies, but watch out in the future, it was a great road however and has done much for the awareness of cricket not just in NZ but generally, and of course, also, the fact that we can dream big and believe. This goes for all of us 5:2β€˜ers, if we can believe we can achieve, so keep on going everyone, we can do this!!! Happy monday everyone, weighing in again tomorrow!!!!

Hi all, hope you had a happy weekend. I am still sulking today over the cricket… Thank you to the Aussies here for not rubbing it in! Working today has been less than fun with every patient that knows I am a Kiwi asking with a smirk, “Did you watch the cricket last night?” to make matters worse my bosses have kindly put out a huge jar of easter eggs on my desk for patients and staff to help themselves to and I have to keep topping it up. My goal is to not have any at all, even on feed days! We’ll see how that goes…

Intesha, did your friend notice a difference in you at lunch? If she didn’t, she certainly will when she sees you next! Your perserverence and determination are fantastic, obviously this WOL is working well for you and you should be really proud to have lost almost 3kg! Well done!

Merry, what an inspirational story. Thank you for sharing and what an incredible weight loss so far! Lovely that your OH is doing it too so you can do things like share a main meal together when you’re out πŸ™‚

Life traveller- stick with it, I really hope you see better results after assessing your calorie intake. I too am losing slowly but surely but isn’t it fantastic to feel healthier and know we are doing something good for our body.

Made another low- cal discovery today, fellow Aussie residents- have you discovered slendier slim? they make REALLY low cal pasta and rice! http://www.slendierslim.com.au

You can resist those eggs MK88, just remember, sugar is addictive and it’s usually not particularly nice chocolate anyway. Maybe you could reward your abstinence with some good quality dark chocolate when Easter’s over. Big fan of the Slendier noodles, only 8 cals per serving! Their Angel Hair Spanish Style Fideos recipe is one of my standard FD dinners, 142 cals and really filling and delicious.

Turnabout: that’s a lovely, positive message that you posted!

Hi all fellow losers. Start of week 7 for the OH and myself. Had an interesting girls week end away the weekend before last. Ate more than normal and paid for it both with a bellyache as well as the scales….but on reflection it wasn’t that over the top just a reflection of my bod’s NEW FULL. Promise to myself listen sooner to the full signals. Moving forward a couple of questions for you all. We fast on Monday and Wednesday’s one meal in the evening. Works for us both, however I have found myself tired, quite often in the past week even on feed days. Sleeping well, so not sure what’s going on. The OH works part time in an office 2 weeks on 2 off. He is heaps more active around the yard on his off weeks. However on his weeks off he is really lethargic come Thursday and it takes him till the weekend to get his mojo back. This is not the case when at work…..don’t want him to loose his enthusiasm for this WOL so any ideas to overcome these glitches??

Wow, so many posts, I’ve never spent so much time on my iPad. So much great information and stories. My daughter lives in Essex in the UK and I try to visit every two years and she does the reverse. I love walking around London soaking up the atmosphere. The war rooms were amazing and being able to hop over to Europe is just wonderful.

Went to Coles today but couldn’t find the Alpine bread, what does it look like. Those noodles sound good, where do you buy them?

MK88 no my friend didnt say anything but I felt good and my clothes felt looser. Next time will be the clincher.

Secret Poster, I can’t really help you out except to say I feel quite lethargic on FDs sometimes, always go to bed early and sleep really well that night. I think for me it has something to do with having no coffee on FDs. I suppose you could experiment with spreading the FDs out a bit more – but you’ve already said those days work for you so perhaps not an option.

Intesha, you can get the Slendier noodles at Coles and Woolworths but not everywhere. I can’t get them where I live but pick them up when I visit other towns. They’re usually near the gluten free type foods but just ask; they’ll point you to the right aisle if they’ve heard of them. I can’t comment on all the varieties – I’ve not tried the rice one – but I think the fettucine and angel hair ones are great. You can look on the web site that MK88 posted above to find some recipes. I’m sure no-one would be as stupid as I, but I did try freezing a meal once as OH had to change a FD at the last minute – they definitely do not freeze well!

PS I can’t believe how much time I spend reading these posts too – I have never even looked at a forum before this, let alone contributed to one!

Annette – Yes, great point……and I should learn not to comment after a glass of wine!!
    IHAW – You’re an inspiration. Such a wealth of knowledge with 102 weeks doing 5:2. WOW. I guess you are showing us all that this truly is a new way of life. I hadn’t thought about comparing a lump of meat vs a lump of fat. Good (yuk!) mental picture! Best of luck with the blood tests. You’ve encouraged me to restart yoga this week!
    Merry – OH must be thrilled with those blood test results. Enjoy your time in beautiful NZ.
    Thin – Another good news story with OH’s bloods…and you put me to shame with your walking, kayaking & low-cal lunch! Blimey, I feel exhausted just reading…
    Turnabout – Your boys played so very well throughout the tournament…such a shame for you guys. Just between you & me, I really thought you would win.
    MK88 – Stay strong with those “extremely dangerous” (one is never enough) EGGS!! You can do it… No haven’t heard of Slendier, must take a look.
    Secret – I did feel tired, sick and grumpy in my first couple of weeks, but after my system adjusted, I’ve felt great. Are you having enough protein? Actually, I might leave it up to other more experienced minds to assist you. Hope you feel better soon.
    For me, today is a FD. Visitors leave tonight. Hasn’t been easy at all keeping my 5:2 in check for 10 days. Felt obliged to offer dessert, nibbles, etc. each night. Anyway, hope the damage is not too great by Friday’s weigh in. Back into the (serious) swing of things tomorrow.
    Such a wealth of info here on our thread and great positive stories too. You are all just so motivating.
    Have a great evening everyone! CM xx

Hey Intesha, hmmm is your Coles a small one? Alpine bread is made here in Victoria, which state are you in? Maybe it’s only available to Victoria? As for the Slim rice/noodles they should be at most supermarkets. As Thin said, have a look in your health and gluten free aisle. Thats where I find them. Check out the website so you know what packaging you’re looking for πŸ™‚ I’m having the noodles tonight as well but jazzing them up a little with chicken and mushrooms and sauce as it’s my feed day!

Well done CM on maintaining your WOL so well while hosting visitors, I think travelling and having guests stay will be what throws a spanner in the works for us!

Day 2 sharing my desk with the eggs and despite today being my feed day, I have not had ONE! Thin, I like you’re idea of spoiling myself with some better chocolate after the eggs are gone πŸ™‚ What an incentive!

Secret poster, what foods are you eating on your fast days? Maybe you need to opt for really low GI foods if you’re not already? Are you drinking enough water? I don’t know enough about this all just yet but do stick with it and mix it up on your fast days to see what works for you.

MK88

Hi guys,
    Thanks for all the great stories, sorry that I am not good at remembering all of your posts, but I just popped in before I go to milk the neighbours cows, and wow, what a lot of chatter on the site, this is great.
    This morning I spent shuffling mother around assessments for her aged care, as she wants to stay at home rather than going into care. When you go through all this you realise why we choose this WOL/WOE, so that we can be healthy in our old age.
    Also saw a lass up the street that used to work for us and prided herself that she could weigh herself on our shed scales that only went up to 60kg. That was 15 years ago, and now she looks to be over 100kg, she has really stacked on the weight. She was too embrassed to comment on my weight loss. From now on if ever I need an incentive to not put something in my mouth, I just have to think of her, it is really quite sad.
    Thank you IHAW for thinking of me, well done on your achievements as well, you really are the wise owl of 5:2, and I am glad you had a good holiday there a while back,
    Cheers everyone, enjoy Easter however you celebrate, Mum has her birthday on Easter Sunday and wants one homemade bun, and some homemade chocolate to celebrate. The doctor said that she could as she is turning 84.
    Charlie. πŸ™‚

Hi MK88, no it is huge Coles, I went up and down the bread aisle several times, is it near the wraps? I live in Sydney, anybody else in Sydney seen it? Today is a FD, I am finding it easier and just keep telling myself I can have that treat tomorrow. I think that is what is so good about this WOE/WOL if you are desperate for that piece of cake or chocolate you can have it, within reason, if you are sticking to the rules.

My first goal is to get under 80kg, once I have achieved that there will be no stopping me. I have an outfit I bought for my daughters wedding 7years ago that I have not been able to wear since, it cost me a small fortune and I am so looking forward to fitting into that again.

What is my fitnesspal?

Hi all, been reading your posts all very interesting. I started my first FD today so far so good. I am really determined to stick with this. I retired a few years ago and my weight has been rising ever since. Wasn’t sure that it was ok to do this at my age but after reading the book I am sure it is fine. Will be reading your posts for inspiration. NannaP Perth

Hi NannaP, and welcome, I have only been on this for 8 weeks and already amazed at the results. Everybody here is so supportive and encouraging. I am sure you will find all you need from these amazing people. From what I can gather there are a few older people following this, me included. So enjoy the journey.

Hi All. Visitors gone and, thank God, all is returning to normal. FD today and so far, so good. Chicken and a big salad for dinner…think I’ll skip the wine, Thin!
    Intesha – MyFitnessPal is both an app and a website. Take a look its very handy. It will track your weight, daily food diary, calorie counter, etc & tells you how much you have left. I use it every FD to track my cals. It’s fairly good – lots of 5:2ers use it. You’ll be into that dress before you know it.
    CharlieG – Wish your Mum a happy birthday & I hope it’s a great Easter for her. Been through this with my Mum …. oh, the red tape!! Mine is still living independently within a retirement village. Once you get the assessment done, there are lots of options for Home Care such as cleaning, showering, transport to doctors/hospital etc. Good luck. Isn’t it amazing how seeing an old friend who is no longer slim and/or wanting to stay healthy as we age, can be so motivating. Lucky us…we’ve found the answer!
    MK88 – Very impressed! Stay strong girl! I’ve just hidden some eggs & chocs I’ve been given. Still sealed, it’s all ok – if they get opened, they’ll be gone!
    CM xx

Hi NannaP and welcome. You will see from our earlier posts that we chat A LOT. It’s great to know that we’re not alone on this journey, particularly at the beginning. You will have questions that we will all do our best to answer – so go ahead and ask us. For me it was comforting to know how many others are on 5:2…and WOW the weight loss stories just within our group. My doctor happily recommends it to her patients as well. Until you (& your body) gets a handle on how it all works, just stick with the basics. If you falter, that’s ok, tomorrow is another day. If you have a social engagement, move your fast day (FD) – yes, it’s that easy. There really isn’t a reason to fail, because it is so adaptable. Please take the time to measure yourself today. You may have weeks when you don’t lose as much as you expect, but you will be losing centimetres. We’ve all been there. Apart from the weight loss, I feel the best I’ve felt in years – seriously I feel fantastic. Stick with it, Nanna, you won’t be sorry. Good luck.
    CM xx

Welcome NanaP! (what a cute name) Good on you for getting stuck in right away and not waiting around. This is a fantastic WOL and this forum offers amazing support to keep you going!

Charlie G how sad for that poor girl, we all know that horrible feeling of seeing someone after you’ve gained weight. I find myself wanting to tell everyone about 5:2 but of course you can’t do that without offending! All the stories here are so inspiring.

CM, good girl for hiding those eggs! This jar is really testing my will power but I know whats in them and 10 seconds of YUM is not worth it. I know if I have one I’ll have 8!

MK88

Viewing 50 posts - 4,351 through 4,400 (of 28,006 total)

You must be logged in to reply.