Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,903 replies, has 831 voices, and was last updated by  Anzac65 1 hour, 27 minutes ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 4,101 through 4,150 (of 28,007 total)

• Be kind. Enjoy your get together. 🙂 P

Thin: You were reading my mind! Yes, Perth 5:2ers come join us. Purple…come on over.

Lovely to read you guys are getting together for a walk, have fun guys!

A quick 5 hour flight? I’ll let you know when I’m coming over next. Enjoy your walk. P

Where’d everyone go? Thursday’s a fast day for most so I was expecting to see some chit chat today. I sneaked a peek into the Maintenance thread today. The question was asked why are there so few participants. As for me, I reached my original goal but as I decided to go for another 10kgs, I thought I wasn’t really a candidate for that thread yet. Since I am not yet maintaining but losing, I don’t really have anything to offer but look forward to joining in.

Maintaining will be the toughest part of this for me because I have lost huge amounts of weight in the past and, like so many, it always piled back on over the ensuing years. As of today, I’m 16kgs down, and I am staring down six sour dough rolls. This is always my problem, I lose weight, people start telling me I look great, I get cocky and eat something I know I shouldn’t.

Greatly looking forward to meeting CM and Charlie tomorrow (all Perth losers welcome, walk and maybe a coffee afterwards, 7.30am at The Boatshed, South Perth). I’ve never read or contributed to a forum prior to this, let alone met someone from a forum. Teen finds this hilarious after all our lectures on cyber safety!

With a handle like Thinatlast, I can’t imagine why you haven’t joined us on Maintenance 🙂
    Most of us have continued to lose weight when we thought we were ‘at goal’. Come on over and share your experience. ..maintenance definitely takes eternal vigilance. ..just like freedom! But well worth it.
    See you “on the other side”. 🙂 P

G’day PVE: Thinatlast was just a hopeful dream when I started this 5:2 journey!

No longer a dream mate. Reality. 🙂 P

Thanks PVE. Still have a round tummy. Thin face – and where did my ar*e go?

With that description,Thin, you sound like us! I don’t know that the tum ever goes 🙁 P

Drat. ‘Us’ being you and Mr P? Or the M Crowd? Oh well, still have a few more kgs to go, meanwhile, I’ll be a lurker on the ‘other’ side in preparation.

It has been quiet hasn’t it? I had my FD yesterday, then at 3pm daughter-in-law invited us for dinner! Yikes. Unfortunately, she’s a great cook….but I HAD to say yes. I was very strong up until I tasted her food. When my plate was empty I said “bugger the fast – I’m having some more”. Needless to say, I’m fasting again today. But I thought at the time – why not enjoy it, you can fast again tomorrow. That’s the beauty of this amazing way of eating. If you fall off (or choose to) you just jump back on the next day…..and I still lost weight!
    Thin (& any other Perth 5:2ers) – See you tomorrow at 7.30.

…..ditto Thin, first forum I’ve been involved in as well. Hubby thinking the same about cyber safety. Had to assure him we’re meeting in public place! Tell your kids I’ll be on my best behaviour (not sure about charlie though)! See ya.

Both Thin 🙁
    It is amazing how it drops off everywhere except the stomach, unless it’s just spare skin? P

CM: there you are then, we already have so much in common!
    PVE: no it’s not spare skin, I have still have that fold over the first stomach.

It’s great fun reading this thread, especially the cyber safety issues, what was that saying…..do as I say not as I do!!!!!!! Coming up to the end of my first four weeks on AF and so looking forward to my weigh in Mon morn, I feel so much thinner and lighter and have so much more energy, OH can’t quite believe it!! Out for lunch tomorrow so something light I feel. Lol

Well done Turnabout. Great result.

Hey Turnabout. You’re going great. Being around food all the time must be hard. Good luck for Monday. Let us know how it goes.

Thanks for your contributions everyone. I’m happy to read from you.
    2nd week for this newbie and enjoying it. Have lost some weight and gained some insight.
    Appreciate the support available here.

Hello,
    I am new to this site but find all the comments a real support. I am a young 71yr old and have been on the 5.2 since 24th January. I have lost 71b so far. Yes the fasting days can be tough but knowing I can have that piece of toast and marmalade the next day keeps me from giving up. This is the first real eating plan that works for me and as I have an underactive thyroid I always found it really difficult to lose weight. I try and eat carefully on the non fast days but still eat out and have some treats.Don’t give up if you find that some weeks you lose nothing. That happened to me but I kept going and lost 31b this week. Good luck everyone.

Morning all!

Thanks everyone for the great advise. I have been reading this site like a maniac. It’s great to have such a wicked support network and encouraging to see how you are all enjoying your new way of life.
    I have been on 5:2 for just over a week now and have lost 0.7kg which is great!! It is a bit slower than I expected but that’s ok, slow and steady wins the race 🙂
    The week has been reasonably pain free although I ended up wrecking my third fast day (beginning of week 2) at dinner time. Like a lot of you, I’m fine at work but then as soon as I get home I want to eat the house. No worries, I am moving on and putting that down to a learning curve – eat an early dinner rather than wait til temptation gets the better of me.
    I am really glad I have started this new way of eating as I have recently quit smoking so am having cravings for all sorts of delicious (but very unhealthy) food. Knowing I can eat junk/have that glass (or 4) of wine tomorrow is so helpful because by the time tomorrow comes I usually don’t feel like the junk food any more. I’m always keen for wine though 😀

So again, thanks to everyone for keeping this page alive. It is great to read your stories of success and I’m also feeling a teeny bit accountable for my choices because I know I will update you lot as often as I can. Being held accountable is exactly what I need (even though it’s not intended by you guys) – so thanks so much!

Does anyone have any weekend plans?
    I’m of to the bottom of the south island (NZ) to see my nephew for his first birthday. Only two hours drive so it’s easy for me.

YAY for Friday!

Purple, I am giving Topsy another outing this weekend, and have a query. Given that the sponge is now on, would it be better to overnight as sponge or as dough, as I want to bake it tomorrow evening?

JGF, I’m a Kiwi too, from Wellington. We’ll be watching cricket tomorrow, but at the moment I should be painting the lounge ceiling – just out to get some more paint. As the surface is stippled it is drinking up the paint, drat it!

Welcome, kudjerie and AH. You are right, AH, knowing tomorrow is non-fast makes this wol sustainable.

Hi All,
    I’m here! Sorry I haven’t posted much lately. I’ve recently brought a friend over to this WOE and he is loving it! We have been sending each other text messages on fast days and exchanging tips and encouragement. He has more than 15kg to lose till his goal weight. As for me I was feeling very bloated last week and lost barely anything but this morning I was 1.5kg down! Only 4 kg away from my goal weight of 60kg (I am 165cm tall). Thinatlast can I ask you what your stats are? As in what was your goal weight and what is it now? I have never been less than 62kg and I almost don’t believe it’s possible but I’m also very curious about maintenance mode and how that will work. I can however, see a regular Monday fast being pretty easy to keep up for life. 🙂

Hi Barata
    It doesn’t matter, but as you are going to bake in the evening, overnight sponge, mix and knead in the morning, dough rise all day tomorrow. Enjoy. Don’t rush the last rise. P 🙂
    PS Charlie says hi to Topsy 😉

Hi Fastina!
    Sounds as if you are doing well…the more the merrier in maintenance. 😉 P

Hi Fastina, Sounds like you’re doing really well. No I don’t mind sharing my ‘stats’! You can read my profile. I weighed 83kgs in Jan last year. Am now 67kgs. I’d lost 5kgs before starting 5:2 in August so can only attribute 11kgs to 5:2. I’m 5’6″. I haven’t experienced the rapid weight loss reported by some on this forum but I’m hoping to make this a change for life. I set a new goal of 60kgs as it sounded like a nice round number and one that would give me a bit of a cushion for when I start maintenance 6:1 because I’m sure that will be another learning experience to get it right. Like you, I thought I’d make Mondays my fast day and make a real effort to actually fast for most of the day. But I’m a few kilos away from that yet.

Welcome kudjerie, ah2424 & thanks for sharing your progress JGF.

Pleased to report that CharliesMum is exactly as described. As is Charlie. We met for a walk and a coffee on this cool Perth morning and think it would be great if other Perth losers would like to join us sometime. We both think that the forum is a great source of inspiration and support & meeting in person brings it all to life. Lovely to meet you CM 😆

Hi AH, JGF and welcome. Found having a small tin of tuna (or similar) at lunchtime got me thru the first couple of weeks FD. Helps stop the “snack attack” mid/late aftn. I’m now fasting between bfst & dinner. Agree with “feeling accountable” – its like having buddies on the journey with you & what has motivated me even more. Thanks gang.
    Fastina – I’m the same as you 165cm. Started 18 days ago at 70.8 now 68.2 (2.6kg). First goal is 65kg. This is a breeze & I’m feeling great. Seems to get easier the further in you go.
    Thin – Great to finally meet up this morning and really enjoyed our coffee & chat. She looks great everyone – down 16kg. Fabulous!

Thanks, P. Topsy sends bubbles! Will sponge tonight, rise tomorrow, in the brand new tin, with newly acquired spelt flour.

Thin, I set out at 67+ kg, thinking at 62 I would be happy, rapt at 60. Still losing (58.9 this morning) and really enjoying this wonderful journey. I’m about the same height.

How nice to hear that the Perth locals are setting up a ‘physical’ forum. I can see an international network of meetings evolving from these groups.

I have written up a list of things to do over my three-day weekend, satisfying to tick them off when completed, and helps me to stop thinking about them in the middle of the night. On my way to dead-head the agapanthus I was waylaid by my running battle with the ivy, so a little more hits the dust. Off the clean the front gutter now. The guy in the paint shop recommended not painting during the heat of the day. Heat! 19 degrees at the moment, but very pleasant, not much wind.

It is great to hear 5:2ers all around the world are taking that extra step with face to face meetings. It’s fun to put a face and name to a well known handle;)
    Thin, I’m about 5’5″ and started at 85kg (was only that heavy for a few months before I started, mind you). At the end of a year (April 14) I reached 60kg. I’ve been under 60 ever since. Usually between 56 and 57. Sometimes down to 55, sometimes 58. I never imagined I’d get back to this size and I have every intention of staying here! 🙂 I weigh every morning and evening and gauge how much I can eat, or whether I have a full fast, by the scales. Easy. Reliable and relaxing.
    Have a great weekend folks and remember, always ask yourself ‘Do I really need to eat this?’ 🙂 🙂 P

Hey, thanks Thinatlast & CharliesMum, sometimes it does get difficult being around food a lot but I have learnt to eat before i cook dinners, very often tuna from the can with a litttle apple cider vinegar and black pepper, I always have hard boiled eggs in the fridge, so can pop one of those too, then at least if I do pick I try to make sure its only salad!!! If i’m still hungry later i make a smoothie with frozen berries and almond milk! Fruit teas and black espresso only through the day. Certainly will let you know how I get on on Monday.

Hi Purple,
    Thanks for the advice that you gave Barata, as I was going to ask the same question. Sponge now sitting bubbling on the bench ready for kneading in the morning.
    Another good week with two great fasts. Have really got the hang of fasting from dinner to dinner, and also weighing more than once a day to know what I can eat for dinner.
    I truly love this WOL/WOE, and now I am getting lots of lovely compliments about how good I look, even though I still have 30+ kgs still to dispense with. But I am very happy with my progress. Had a strange encounter with a acquaintance on Wednesday, saw her at the local rural store and I haven’t seen her for more than a year other than to wave to each other on the road. She looked me up and down several times with almost piercing eyes, yet was not brave enough to say anything. Felt quite weird. Oh well.
    Busy weekend now that cows have started to calve. Have a good one folks, and keep up the good work and the wonderful posting. Cheers, Charlie.

Happy baking girls. Wrap the loaf in a teatowel and don’t cut into it for at least an hour….it keeps cooking out of the tin. 🙂 P

Morning all, really loving all the posts. Can’t respond to everything or you start to feel like a ‘moderator’ but it feels impolite not to reply to personal mentions! So here goes:

CharlieG: your progress is astounding. It’s a big boost to your self-esteem when people start to notice. You have really turned your life around and I’m so impressed.

Turnabout: watch the labelling on those frozen berries! What a shame, I used to buy them in bulk. Why we can’t produce enough of our own berries in Oz is a bit of a mystery. I’m a big fan of the hard boiled egg as a standby hunger-beater, usually before bed for me.

PVE: Yours is such a great story. Thanks for sharing how you manage maintenance. So, you don’t have an assigned fast day each week? I’ve found in the past that after losing loads of weight, I can ‘get away with’ a lot for some long time before the weight starts creeping up so I feel I would need an assigned fasting day to adhere to.

Barata: Great inspiration, good work. Agree, and it seems there’s a lot more that could be tapped into within the 5:2 world – 5 and 2 specific restaurants, fast day meal deliveries, clothing hand-me-downs, and of course actual get-togethers. I wonder how many people are doing it worldwide? I feel everyone should be doing it! I have converted 8 friends & 2 family members.

Hi Thin
    No. We virtually always have Mon and Thursday as fast days. The habit is easier to accept.
    Mr P does 2 full fasts every week to maintain his reversal of diabetes.
    I usually do a proper fast on Mondays (post weekend excesses) and don’t eat anything until the afternoon on Thursday. No alcohol at all Mon/Thurs and eat a fast meal in the evening. I often don’t eat until 11 or 12 on normal days as my TDEE is only about 1200, so would prefer to eat twice, but eat more 😉
    My understanding is the health benefits come from the lows and highs (famine and feast) so it is important to incorporate both. Also, a longer non eating period allows cell repair and keeps hunger away. Today is a feast day! Banana, then a salmon and cheese pancakes for brunch. Restaurant dinner tonight.
    Hope that makes sense. P 🙂

Thanks, Thin. Well done on all the convertees. I cannot claim one, now that OH has gone off (to see if his current regime of supplements can help his overall wellbeing – he will return to it in a month or two, once we see the results of these).

I would love some of my workmates to join me, but no interest there at the moment.

Off to watch some cricket – go the Black Caps!

Barata: Um, can we NOT talk about the cricket thank you very much!! Far out. You guys are thrashing us!

Purple: You and Mr P have the whole thing nailed perfectly, hovering well below 60kgs and still eating well, fantastic. It’s a bit of a cruel irony that the harder we all work on this, our reward is a lower TDEE! Only kidding, the reward of course is greater health and longevity.

Barata: Your workmates will come around. I didn’t push anyone into this, they just noticed the results, asked me what I was doing and thought they’d give it a go (initially I think they were gobsmacked by what I could consume at morning tea and still be losing weight!). – I don’t do that any more as I’ve become a lot less interested in stuffing my face these days. In fact, I’ve just accompanied OH for the big breakfast at our local cafe, feeling a bit sickened by how much I ate (still have issues surrounding waste so I had to eat everything on the plate when half would have been plenty), and am off for a second walk…..restaurant meals are holding less and less appeal these days.

Have a lovely weekend everyone, my knowledge of cricket is limited to the facts that Dennis Lilly lives down the road and my Dad’s next door neighbour in the UK was someone called Ashley Giles – so I hope your Black Caps, whoever they are, win!

I hear you Thin. Restaurant dinner last night was delicious, but half would have been plenty. But that second piece of pork belly looked so sad sitting there waiting for its doggy bag, I had to put it out of its misery!! Purple – I should have taken note of your advice “do I really need to eat this?”. Oh well, gonna be a good girl today. Have a great weekend everyone.

Even sadder than having a lower TDEE, and therefore having to eat less, when you are lighter you burn less calories just moving around…less effort to move a tiny body 🙁
    I swam, swept etc this morning, while Mr P just got on the computer. He used as many calories as me! Not fair! 😉 P

Hey P, I just noticed that when a birthday happens and everything else remains the same, the TDEE goes down, 7 calories less for me in a couple of months time – so about one almond less per day.

My last sourdough loaf took nearly three days due to a thunderstorm that resulted in our desktop computer and other electronics getting zapped. I’d just started the porridge stage on Monday evening so next morning just put it in the fridge for another 24 hours while the computer was taken to the computer doctor. It was declared dead as a door knob. The flour and kneading happened Wednesday morning but I couldn’t cook it that night (so back in the fridge for the night)…finally cooked after 60 and turned out fine but next time I’ll wrap my fresh loaf in a towel. Thanks for the tip P

Now I’d better leave the cricketing fun and do some more computing – if only I’d backed up the farm books when I did the BAS return…. OH will have a lot to do too, his cattle records have vanished back till when I last backed up his program in October.
    Cheers, VM

Oh, VM, the dying computer! We rely on them so much for business and pleasure. When mine died last year we discovered that we had lost ten years’ of photos, had been putting them on a drive that OH didn’t realise should have been part of the backup process. So much of younger grandson (who was living with us most of his life)’s growing up!

Well done with the sourdough. The fridge is a good tip when delays occur. Mine is about to go into the oven, will wrap when I remove it.

Barata, we are in a terrible state when the power goes off and I know how you feel with lost photos.
    We had a wonderful surprise when our daughter collected last year’s photos of 3.5 year old grandson into a book of adventures with stories, a brilliant way to actually see the photos and better even than printing and putting putting them in an album.

The half prepared sourdough in the fridge is just something I tried out of desperation, I had no idea what the result would be. It seems the fermenting slows or hibernates in the cold and kicks off again when brought up to room temp. I tell my OH cooking sourdough bread is a post apocalyptic life skill (like knitting) but he still won’t try it… he says he’ll have damper instead.

And remember. ..when all else fails, your sourdough (and the cockroaches) will survive! 🙂
    Just back from a protest against a tunnel stack in our suburb. 30deg. So a swim due. P

And we will be eating both!

Wow! What a game of cricket, and what a way to end it. Well done, everyone.

Congratulations Kiwis! Exciting finish! 🙂

Ok. Credit goes to the Kiwis this time….but I bet we had you worried!! Well done.

Worried? Edge of seat, fingernails to elbows! Phew!

Well done, Kiwis. What a match!

Woohoo!!! Monday morning weigh in and measure, and1 kg off my first goal weight, lost 5.5kgs in the last four weeks of AF. So overjoyed at losing weight and enjoying it!!! Really have been eating well and now feel great. Lets hope it continues, hopefully the end of this week should see my first weight target reached. Thanks for all your support and chat, it is really good just reading the threads even if I don’t add to them and it helps to learn so much! 🙂

Viewing 50 posts - 4,101 through 4,150 (of 28,007 total)

You must be logged in to reply.