Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 22,817 replies, has 798 voices, and was last updated by  LJoyce 1 hour, 45 minutes ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 22,801 through 22,820 (of 22,820 total)

• Cali, thanks for that link. I’m really pleased to see that it shows how to grow a scoby first. I just need to source an appropriate bottle of kombucha – the one I have is flavoured and they say not to use that.
    You wondered about the amount of sugar left in the konbucha. The commercial bottles that I have list the sugar content as 0 grams. In the ingredient list it includes sugar but states that all of the “sugar was fully consumed during the extended fermentation process”. It also seems that the bottle of kombucha I have is diluted, as they’ve combined the kombucha with sparking water, flavourings and stevia.

Neil, I notice the same thing with having enough activity. My TDEE is too low for the amount I seem to naturally eat without exercise. It’s finding a balance that allows for moderate activity levels that can be tricky. Good luck with your Fast800. Good luck too in finding an exercise and eating balance that maintains your weight long term – that can take a while to get right and even then the wheels can fall off occasionally.

Cinque, I’m sure the dips were a hit at your lunch – despite you being unhappy with the hummus.

Lindsay, I concur – that recipe does look good. I also have an eggplant in the fridge but have other plans for it. I’m going to make Cinque’s roasted ratatouille.
    Commiserations on the dead microwave, I hope you find an economical replacement.

Medical appointments were fine. I have to get my health care plan redone every 2 years, so it means having an ECG and lung function test first before seeing my GP to have the new plan finalised. This means it takes most of the morning.

It’s a bit warm for walking here so I used the shopping centre net my GP to get some walking done after my appointments.

Hope you are all having an enjoyable day.

Hi friends

Happy New year!! (Belated)

We are in the beautiful Seychelle islands. I’m sorry for not posting but I’ve thought about you all a lot

Hope everyone is well

Morning all

Morning Anzac, Seychelles looks awesome in all the pics I’ve seen of it. I hope you’re enjoying yourself.

I weighed in down 2.1 kilos from last week weighing in at 87.6 kilos so I wiped out all but 200 grams of last week’s gain.

Good morning,
    Another smoky day, but we are not suffering nearly as badly as some places (with the smoke, let alone everything else). They don’t count the burning areas in the pollution stakes because they aren’t big towns or cities, I guess.

Cali, big good wishes that you can break that festive spell and get back into some nice lean 800 calorie days and feel easy and healthy.

LJoyce, nice to have those appointments over and done with.

Anzac, a treat to see your post.

Neil, your usual quick efficient work! Congratulations.

My dips did go well yesterday. It was a lovely day and I did manage to keep my liquid levels up, but it is hard to catch up with a whole family you love and haven’t seen all year, in a few hours, so I did over do it and eat too much snacky stuff and be upright too long etc, so having a good rest day today.

Fast Day tomorrow!

Sending best wishes to everyone. Do all the good things!

Good morning all.

Thanks to the cool change that came through last night and the nice breeze through the windows I slept very well. I can keep cool with airconditioning, but if the cool breeze is fresh air I seem to sleep better.

Cinque, glad your family lunch went so well. Enjoy your rest day.

Neil, congrats. It’s nice to know that the system that got your weight off can deal with lapses too.

Anzac, have a lovely relaxing time in the Seychelles – a bit of a change of pace (and climate) from Europe.

I was up early and did a shopping trip to Bunnings. I now have all the requirements for repotting the orchids that live on my kitchen windowsill.
    I also bought some seeds for autumn planting – parsnip and broad beans. I will plant purple sprouting broccoli, spinach and peas too. I normally have a flurry of planting and harvesting focussed on summer crops and then forget the winter ones. Well the ridiculous price of parsnips has given me the resolve to not do that this year.

As it’s a lovely day I need to go for a walk too. With the heat, I’ve been doing short or indoor walking the last couple of days.

Good Afternoon

I have just read all the posts I have been missing out on (three full pages and a bit!) Lovely to catch up on what you have been doing.

It was back at work for me on Monday and my first FD for three weeks! I am amazed at how quickly the weight piles back on with just three weeks of eating/drinking whatever I like and not exercising (much). The not fasting was my plan but the not exercising was due to the thick smoke in the air for most of the time I was off work. It was so thick at times that it made my eyes sting as soon as I went outside. There was no way I was going to exercise in that!
    Today is my second FD and this morning I resumed jogging. I walked yesterday but thought I better ease myself back into jogging. Well that changed when I stepped on the scale this morning (the first time for over a week) and saw a number I never expected to see again. Back to jogging….. When I came back from exercising the scale showed .9kg less LOL. Great but I still have a few more to go.
    Anyway putting all that holiday period behind me and looking forward to another great 5:2 year.

Words can’t begin to describe the fires Australia is experiencing. I hope you are all ok now as some of them are getting under control.
    The Gospers mountain one came quite close to my parents’ house but thankfully they didn’t have to evacuate. The smoke has been really thick up there too which has been hard on them also.
    We have been safe during all this despite one day receiving text message warnings. We are surrounded by water on three sides and have cow paddocks on the other so should be ok. There is only one way in/out so that day the authorities closed the road. We were concerned about flying embers as the winds have been extremely strong, so we were keeping an eye out for them. All was ok thankfully.

Thank you to those asking about my Dad. He has lost a bit more weight but is still going ok, although he rarely gets out of bed now. It’s really hard to see him like this. I’ve never experienced anyone going through a terminal illness before and I hope that he doesn’t suffer for too long. I also think about my Mum all the time too. She is the strongest woman I know but I can see it taking it’s toll on her too. Damn you, cancer.
    Our friend with cancer is also nearing his last stage. Treatment is not working for him now and the only other option is a really bad treatment that will make him extremely sick and covered in sores. Not something he wants his young sons to go through. He’s only 53 years old.
    On the weekend we found out another friend lost her husband suddenly on Christmas Eve. He was 75 years old but had just received a clean bill of health three weeks earlier. He felt unwell and went and laid down and had passed away less than 15 minutes later.
    Sorry for all the bad news.
    When our FDs get a bit tough we will remember why we are doing them. It’s not just to look and feel better, it’s also for our health. We want to be here to enjoy our lives, and our families, for as long as we possibly can. So grateful for this WOL.

On a lighter note, our ensuite is half finished. We have had a bit of a journey with this one! It all started with the quote from the tiler. The price he gave us came back ridiculously high, like more than double what we expected. That ended up being sorted out (he had quoted us for both bathrooms in error).
    Then the people putting up the gyprock failed to cut out a hole for the power point, which we only noticed after the tiler had put on all the wall tiles! That resulted in a frantic call to the electrician and he rushed out to help us sort that problem out. The only thing we could do was to cut a smallish hole (about the size of an ipad) in the spare room wall on the other side and come though from there.
    Then, and yes there is lots more, OH’s stepfather called to arrange to come and install the vanity and toilet (he had already done the plumbing work before the tiling was done). He asked us to check something on the vanity and when we opened up the box it was the wrong size! As they are custom made we had to order a new one which we have been waiting almost two weeks for! This was the fault of the plumbing place we ordered the vanity through.
    Next, when OH’s stepfather came to install the toilet he discovered the plumbing was not in the right place. A bit of a huge problem when it’s all in the wall and the tiling had been finished already. The boys had to chip a tile off the wall (a 600mm x 300mm, big tile!) and move the plumbing and then cut a tile, put it in place, re grout and try and make it look like it had never altered. They have done an amazing job actually. This error happened because we had the specs for two different toilets and OH had given the wrong sheet to his stepfather to work from. An easy error when the names of the toilets only differed by one word in the heading!
    Then (uh huh) the boys thought they would install the shower rail while the stepfather was there as they couldn’t finish off the toilet until it was all dry. It was then I heard some very loud swearing from both of them. I had been hiding away in the kitchen (making pesto with my garden fresh basil, Cinque) but thought I had better check on them. OH was so angry he couldn’t even voice to me what had happened but luckily stepfather could. OH had had the shower rail upside down when they marked out the measurements for the plumbing so unfortunately the hole where the water comes out was in the totally wrong place. So, yes, back into the spare room for a much larger hole to be made in the wall for the problem to be fixed. This hole about the size of a large suitcase. No wonder OH was not happy. He always says he hates renovations, I can see why. He now has a wall to fix in the spare room and a whole room to repaint. Great.
    It is unbelievable how many things have gone wrong with this tiny bathroom. Me being ever optimistic, tried to find something positive to come out of all this… at least all these errors have been made before we do the main bathroom! That is the saga (so far) of the ensuite.

Anyway I had better go and do some more work. It’s my usual lunchtime now and I need some lettuce or salad mix to go with homegrown salad veggies for dinner but I’m not sure if I want to go to the supermarket as I am feeling really hungry right now. I’m worried I may succumb and buy something to eat.

No nonsense, non-negotiable FD today. I WILL stick with it.

Hi Quacka, lovely to hear from you. The renovations sound like a bit of a drama, but it will all fade into the past (hopefully) once you have your new bathroom done – and had that hole in the bedroom wall fixed.
    I see you are joining those of us that had a rude shock on the scales after christmas. A bit of regular fasting will hopefully sort it out – although I suspect most of us will take a bit longer than Neil did.
    Sorry to hear you have been dealing will so much illness with family and friends.

Good Morning everyone

Well it was my first week of back to 5:2 and yesterday was my first failed FD for the year 🙁
    Never mind, I can’t turn back the clock to yesterday so I will only look forward. I considered trying another one today but I remembered doing that last year after a failure and then also failing that one too. That made me feel worse than ever. So my next FDs are Monday and Wednesday and I am actually looking forward to them.

I will get back into the swing of things because I will not give up.

On a happier note, we woke up to the sound of rain on the roof! It was a nice gentle rain but a lot more than a sprinkle and lasted about half an hour. So beautiful.
    We are expecting more over the next few days,so says the BOM and I really hope they are right.

Wishing you all a happy weekend x

Big thunderstorms yesterday evening, drenching rain, followed by waves of delight from the garden, cicadas waking up and making a huge noise, and air quality at comparatively lovely ‘unhealthy’ level.

Thanks for sending the rain and cool change over, LJoyce! I slept much better too. So did Miso the cat.

I’m sad the rain didn’t get to Mallacoota though.

It is lovely fast day for me today!

LJoyce, won’t your orchids be happy to be repotted (I know they are best restricted, but they must love to stretch their roots out after a while!).
    They are warning of 50% price rises in vegetables because of the fires, so I had better start thinking about Autumn planting too! It used to be that the winter veggies go in on Australia Day (a couple of generations ago) but it might need to be a bit later now. However, need to get them to seedlings stage first!
    I hope you got a lovely outside walk.

Quacka, so GLAD to see your post, and what a wonderful catch up it is.
    Oo wouldn’t it be lovely if every jogging session took off nearly a kilo! Haha.

Oh dear, the last thing your parents needed was to have to worry about fire evacuations etc. I am so glad that terrible fire didn’t come any closer.
    I am glad to hear news of your dad, it is a sad, uncanny, sacred time. It is hard for you to have so much death around you, so much sadness and shock. I hope it is a gentle time for a bit, with perspective it does become all part of the weave.

Oh dear all those renovating dramas, and poor Mr Quacka, I know he is a talented, careful and expert worker, no wonder he was so pissed off with those mistakes, especially that upsidedown one! It is a sign of the stress you have been under, I do hope for a gentle time so the work can be finished nice and straightforwardly!

Well, I am off to make a) coffee b) dashi and c) put some bread to start (first rise today, second rise and cooked tomorrow, ready for Saturday morning breakfast). I haven’t felt like doing the chunky vegetable additions yet, but I am going to cook and mash some pumpkin to add.

Lindsay, LJoyce, did your eggplant dishes work? Mine did, woot! Even though I doctored the recipe a bit. Hooray, because it made it easier. It will be waiting for me to have another helping tomorrow!

Quacka, just saw your latest post. Hooray for the rain, and commiserations for your failed fast day. It has been this years theme I think, that people are finding it is a bit of a process getting back into 5:2 after the feasting season. We’ll be cheering you on Monday! You have the perfect philosophy so you will be fine.

Cheers all

Morning all, Everyone’s into eggplant recipes at the moment. I tried out a coconut/peanut eggplant curry last night. It was pretty popular. I was going to take the leftovers for lunch today but when I got up in the morning my wife had woken up earlier and eaten it all 🙁 https://www.olivemagazine.com/recipes/quick-and-easy/coconut-and-peanut-aubergine-curry/

Good to see you guys have had a bit of rain to get some relief, hopefully you’ll get a bit more during the rest of the week.

Have a great day everyone

Good afternoon

Went out for morning tea and am pleased to say I restrained myself and just had a pot of tea. I put together a plate of raw veg, cottage cheese and a hard boiled egg for lunch and it hit the spot nicely. It needs to get me though the afternoon and babysitting.

Neil, it would appear your boys aren’t the only one’s who deprive you of leftovers.
    Thanks for that link, not only did I copy the recipie you made I found others that I’d like to make too.

Quacka, glad you are getting some rain. Hopefully you’ll be back into the swing of FDs soon.

Cinque, You are welcome on the cool change. I did well, managed to keep it here and send it your way! I think we have a week of cool temps – no rain here though.
    I didn’t give the orchids larger pots, just new ones – now all matching.
    My eggplant is still in the fridge, the baked ratatouille is on the agenda for Saturday.

I made the Greek gigantes dish last night and did an quicker stove top version – still delicious though. Not sure which ancient cook it was that discovered that tomatoes and cinnamon go together, but they deserve a hug. There is something about that combination that makes my toes curl with delight. When I has in high school I remember watching a friend’s Greek mother adding cinnamon to a tomato dish she was cooking and thinking it was weird – until I tasted it. I’ve been a convert ever since, I love that deep warm note that it adds to the flavour. I’d grown up in a home where cinnamon was strictly used for desserts and baking and it was a revelation to know it could be a savoury spice too.

Time I got some exercise. Sitting in a coffee shop all morning has done nothing for my step count!

Hi all, Cheviot, Thursday evening.

Still warm and sunny here, been hovering around 18/19’c all day, but with a coolish wind, just can’t seem to lose that wind, it really cools down the evenings so we can’t enjoy them outside. Moved on today after about 10 days just north of the city, had so many little things to see to, like hospital appointments, watching the T20 cricket at the Hagley Oval, and stuff done on the truck and van! OH collected his new bike yesterday, so with having been given the all clear with his prostate it’s all go on the cycling tomorrow. He’s got a trip planned out to the beach at Gore Bay, around (hopefully not over)Cathedral cliffs! Should be fun.

Had our first weekly weigh in this morning and we both lost just over a kilo each, I’m down to 77.9 from 79 so a great start, long may it continue. Of course the first milestone will be 75 so hope to be there soon!

Those eggplant recipes sound great, I might have to try some of them, I find it such a bland flavoured vegetable, it really needs lots of flavour added to it. Mind you, I do have my herb trough travelling with me, so we do have some flavour, need to do another one now with some different flavours, am missing my fresh chives!

So sorry to hear about all your renovation woes Quacka, been there, done that, annoying, frustrating and energy zapping it may seem, but it will all be worth it in the end! Awful to hear of your sad news too, I had an awful phone call from Mum, just before Xmas about Dad, he ended up in hospital, but is on the mend now. It appears to have been a mild stroke so he is off all medication bar one and he seems a lot better. We put this years travel plans on hold though, just in case. Funny how I just expect them both to live forever…….

So glad you got some rain Cinque, you so badly need it, the picture you painted sounded lovely.

Congratulation Neil on the continued weight loss, hope you enjoyed your time at Millers Flat with the boys, so much to do there and so very safe for children.

Glad you are enjoying the Seychelles Anzac, you so deserve it!!

The wind has finally abated slightly at 8pm!!!!

Enjoy the rest of your Thursday everyone,

Turn

Morning all,

LJoyce, yes the eggplant recipe came from a site called “41 best eggplant recipes” so there was a couple that I was interested in. Next time I’m going to try the tomato lentil eggplant curry 😋

Turnabout Well done on the post-Christmas loss. It seems like everyone in this forum let their hair down over Christmas. I would say congrats on the T20 win as well, but since your win meant we missed out on a home final, I think I’ll just say 😛

Last day of being on my own at work, I’m looking forward to getting my workmate back next week. In the meantime I’m getting my bike serviced today ready for a weekend ride or two.

Have a great day everyone.

Good air quality today. Lovely and cool too.

My fast day was a good one. I didn’t get round to cooking the pumpkin, so I did my English muffin recipe instead, which means I got muffins for breakfast. My recipe makes 12 so I have plenty more in fridge and freezer to keep me going for a while.

Ooh yum Neil, that recipe looks delicious. No wonder Mrs Neil got up early to scrape the bowl!

LJoyce, I bet the orchids look beautiful on your windowsill in their matching pots!
    It was lovely to see your gigantes recipe on the legumes thread, I have made it, and I love how the kitchen smells cooking it! What a lovely point about cinnamon in savoury dishes!

Turnabout, how wonderful to see and read your post! Cheviot looks such a lovely place to be. Congratulations to you and Mr T on kilos lost, and I am glad his prostate check went so well.
    Yes, eggplant needs lots of flavour to suck up, and long cooking to make it silky soft. Nothing as disappointing as flavourless rubbery eggplant!
    How nice to have herbs with you, I hope you can get some chives in too, they are such a lovely addition to things, no wonder you miss them.
    Hope the wind is still gentle!

Enjoy your quiet day at work Neil, I am quiet here today, too. Nothing I HAVE to do, but hoping I can work my way through some of the 1,000’s of things I could do.

First… filing.

No, first… coffee 😉

Cinque, so glad to hear you got a lot of rain. Too bad it didn’t clear out all of the smoke, but maybe you had more later. All of Australia needs some big rain. What we read here about the fires is frightening. It will take a long time to recover from this summer.

LJ, I usually think of cinnamon in sweet dishes too, using only very small amounts in savory dishes. I’ll have to try it with cooked tomatoes. It does sound good. I’m not doing very well on our 2020 walking challenge, but I’m determined to catch up. I just feel so slow lately. My to-do lists each day are short but I barely get into them. Maybe it’s the cold weather. I have a bad case of the blahs. And gaining weight over the past few months hasn’t helped.

Quacka, I’m sorry to hear all the sad news. I hope you’ll be able to visit your parents again soon.
    We are still undecided on a granite or quartz pattern or color. OH and I went to look at slabs yesterday but it was so cold in that big warehouse that all I could think about was getting back in the nice warm car. We did see a couple of “maybes” though. I’m sorry to hear about all the problems you’re having with finishing yours. Just having things torn apart is such a mess.

Anzac, so glad to hear you’re having a wonderful, relaxing time on holiday. You certainly deserve it.

Neil, thank you for the eggplant recipe. I love eggplant but didn’t have any curry recipes for it. That one sounds good.

Today is my Thursday FD. I usually do well on FD’s but NFD’s are still a problem. All of my good intentions seem to fade by dinner time. I hate counting calories every day. WW apparently has a few flexible plans that count points. They include free foods that are 0 points which are basically whole foods without much added. Anything not on the list has a point value. There are websites about it all over the place, giving the basic idea. (I quickly lose interest in meetings.) I think I’ll try that for my NFD’s for a while and see if it will get me on track. I can’t seem to stick to 800 calorie days. 2 days of counting calories on FD’s is enough. I just need to break the overeating on NFD’s habit.

Stay well, everyone.

Good afternoon everyone.

I’ve been for my walk and managed to go to the Telstra shop and arrange for my internet service to move over to the NBN. Thankfully I didn’t have to choose a different package I was able to keep the data allowance and cost the same.

I also called in to the green grocer and they had beautifully fresh eggplant for $2.99 kg. I now have 5 of them in the fridge – what was I thinking! I’m going to have to make several of those eggplant recipies now. Tomorrow I’ll make Cinque’s baked ratatouille and I think I might add cubes of haloumi too so that it’s a complete meal. I also plan on making that coconut peanut eggplant curry that Neil posted the link too, although I decided it would be good with the addition of oyster mushrooms, so I also bought some of those to go in it.

For those of you who use konjac rice, I saw a new product in the supermarket today. https://imgur.com/k9PioAM The packs contain 2 small tubs of konjac rice – two single serves. This might make them more useful than the slendier version which is 2 serves in a bag – fine if someone else is eating it too, but not as useful if you just want one portion for a FD.

Neil I’m going to have to have another look at that website as I think even the 2 eggplant recipes I’ve chosen won’t be enough to use the 5 I have in the fridge.

Turn, I had to look up Cathedral cliffs – it looks like a pretty spot, enjoy.

Cinque, enjoy that coffee, and filing! Oh and the muffins – yum.
    The orchids look well very cared for now, although only 2 plants are still in flower at the moment. There will be a flurry of new flower spikes in autumn-winter when the gentle northern sun comes through the kitchen window – the orchids just love it.

Cali, I’m sorry to hear that things are still a struggle. I’m sure the cold weather isn’t helping your energy levels or mood either.
    I had to remind myself to start using waiting time for walking again – I had let that slip, but I use the kettle and microwave often enough that it adds significant steps to the day. It might be a start to get you moving again. I find there’s as added benefit as if I’m waiting in the kitchen I’m really tempted to snack, so getting out and doing a few laps of the hallway gets me away from the danger zone.
    Remember you aren’t alone with the weight gain. There are a few of us in the same boat at the moment with regained kilos to shift. It can be a scary prospect when you hoped never to have to battle with weight loss again. I’ve had a few false starts on getting those kilos off over the last 3 months but things finally clicked into place this week. I found I had to get frustrated enough with my lack of progress to finally get into the right headspace. Sometimes we just need to do the best we can to manage until our mindset is right. Just doing the FDs is a start and the rest will come.

I’m channeling Cinque today and making miso soup for dinner. I bought some enoki and shitaki mushrooms to go into it and I also have 1/2 bag konjac noodles, snow peas, spinach and a chicken tenderloin.

Have a nice day all.

Hi Everyone!

Happy New Year, and I hope you all had an enjoyable Xmas and holiday period.

It is raining today here in the Illawarra, and I hope you’re getting rain too, and not too much all at once.

I have much to catch up on here, so hope you are all doing well 5:2 wise.

Our long period of health and international wedding in 2 countries pre-occupation has come to an end this week, and all is well on both fronts.

Check-in:
    3 yrs after reaching goal weight and was 62.6kgs for the wedding and Now 64.7kgs after Xmas and the 2nd reception, so 2.7 kgs over goal weight.

Bye for now,
    Onwards and downwards,
    Merry and Mr M

Good morning from sunny España. I’ve woken to a beautiful sunrise over the Med. Pleased to hear about the rain some of you are getting. Great to read your positive news Merry. I’m still managing to stay under 60kgs with 6:1 but, with very decent wine at 2 euros a bottle, and so many tapas to sample, there are constant temptations … fortunately, we can take daily long walks on the beach and on the many mountain tracks. Quacka, so true what you wrote – we are doing this for longevity and a healthy future. What could be more important?

Good morning wonderful people,

Cali, sorry to hear healthwise things are a struggle at the moment. Is your BP behaving itself? I must remind you about drinking more water, just because that so often makes a difference for me.
    I definitely think you should give 800 calorie days the flick, they don’t work for you. And if 0 point foods and other things help you on non fast days, then hooray.
    My non fast day tricks are: no snacks, 7 serves of veg, remember to drink water.

My hardest time is after my evening meal, so my new strategy is that, once I have eaten my meal, I won’t eat anything else (not even my cup of cocoa) until I have had 2 glasses of water. I think that will work for me as my brain is so stuck at telling me I am hungry when I am actually thirsty. If I have a good meal, two glasses of water and then my cup of cocoa I think it will be bedtime! I’ll report back!

Haha LJoyce, it is eggplant festival! I pulled something, I wasn’t quite sure what it was, out of the freezer to supplement what I had in the fridge, and it turns out it was eggplant bharta. So I had a serve of eggplant in coconut sauce accompanied by the mashed spicy tomatoey eggplant (and a big serve of chickpeas and greens). Ha, but it was very nice!

My go to eggplant recipes are babaganoush, eggplant parmigiana, baigan bharta, imam bayeldi, and that roasted ratatouille.

LOVELY to hear from you Merry and Thin! It is like old times! (Nearly)

Merry, so glad you are enjoying rain and big celebrations on the health and wedding counts! Such excellent news. Do say hello to Mr M from me. Well done on how well you have managed your weight.

Thin, hooray for long walks and very decent wine. So glad you are having a wonderful holiday.

Talking of longevity and a healthy future, this quiz came up on my feed https://www.healthdirect.gov.au/risk-checker/heart-kidney-diabetes?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8Y_VktCL5wIVipOPCh2fkwTZEAAYASAAEgLGq_D_BwE and when I filled it in they said I should see my doctor as I was obese and at extreme risk of heart disease and diabetes.
    I expect some black marks because I am so sedentary and hardly eat any fruit, but this was a shock… until I realised I put my height in as 30cm less than it really is!

Off to have a healthy weekend. Day before fast day! Cheers all.

good morning

I finally had a good weigh-in, lost 1.9kg this week. I’m the lightest I’ve been in about 3 months. What is weird is that last week my measurements went down and the scales went up, this week my measurements barely moved but the scales went down – I really struggle with things that defy logic.

Cinque, I’ll look up a few of those eggplant recipies you mentioned as I might need a third option. I’m making your baked ratatouille today and Neil’s eggplant curry tomorrow so I can eat them alternate nights and not get bored. Not sure if that’s enough recipies to use 5 eggplant though.
    My zucchini have kindly produced 2 nice sized fruit for the ratatouille – for once their timing was good.

Merry, glad those wedding celebrations went well. Also good to hear that Mr M is doing well now.

Turn, well done on those weight losses for you and Mr T. I’m also aiming for 75kg.

Thin, glad to hear that Spain is providing good climate, walks and wine.

I think I take a different approach to 800cal days than Neil, so I thought I should share my approach. There are 3 things that have a big impact on whether I can stick to a Fast800 program:
    being mentally ready to do it;
    keeping my carb intake moderate so ketosis suppresses my appetite;
    and strictly limiting my food options.
    I find that the more choices I give myself the worse I am at sticking to 800cals. So I allocated the 800 calories between lunch, afternoon snack, dinner and milk for cups of tea and then worked out a small list of options for lunches and snacks. For example, my snack options list is 100g greek yoghurt with fruit, an almond milk fruit smoothie, raw veg with dip, a low carb bar, a piece of fruit and a hard boiled egg or a scoop of ricotta/cottage cheese. (The low carb bars are not something I normally eat, but because they feel like a treat there are days when that’s an important option to prevent me reaching for something that’s full of sugar.)
    For dinner I do have variety and I don’t have a list, I just aim for a meal that is built around vegetables and includes a little lean protein and is light on added fats and no starchy carbs. I actually have 4-500 calories left for dinner and most healthy meals will fit within this as long as the portion isn’t too large. I have always planned my evening meals in advance to help with shopping so I still do this.
    I do not count calories. By having a list of options that I know fit within my predetermined calorie limits for lunch and mid-afternoon that eliminates the need to count calories on a daily basis. I shop to those lists, plus what I’ve decided to cook for evening meals and I don’t buy snacks/foods that aren’t on the list – as I live alone this works for me.
    My list of lunch and snack options is on the fridge so I just choose one when I’m ready for that meal. After a few failed attempts to do Fast800 earlier this month I have realised that I have to use this approach or I just can’t stick to it.
    I also can’t have an occasional day off in the normal sense of that phrase. If I do, then I come out of ketosis and my appetite and sugar cravings roar back into life, making it really challenging to go back to Fast800 the next day. I deal with meals out by avoiding the starches, sugars and high fat sauces – and no desserts unless there is fresh fruit. It may mean that on those days I will exceed 800cals as the protein portion is often generous and there will usually be fats used in cooking, but as long as I stay in ketosis I can remain on Fast800 without having days of dealing with cravings. My family and friends are so used to me doing 2 FDs per week that they accept me refusing foods sometimes.

Hello to everyone else who’s reading but not posting.

Viewing 20 posts - 22,801 through 22,820 (of 22,820 total)

You must be logged in to reply.