Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,907 replies, has 831 voices, and was last updated by  thinatlast 2 days, 14 hours ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 20,151 through 20,200 (of 28,011 total)

• Eat 9am. On our way to Adelaide for the weekend. Have some bits n pieces to pick up for the house reno. We’re staying at Glenelg which is a beautiful beachside suburb so looking forward to spending some time at the beach.

As I wont be able to weigh myself tomorrow morning my weekly average is for 6 days instead of 7. Happy to report I am down another. 4kg on last week. Considering we went out for dinner Tuesday night to the Indian restaurant and shared a banquet it’s a good result. My fitbit weight chart shows I have lost 4.6kg in the last 6 weeks. Was definitely the alcohol that was inhibiting weight loss…absolutely no doubt on that one.

Will post again later as it’s tricky typing on my phone in a moving car.

Good morning everyone,
    A happy garden here this morning, it has been raining.
    Melbourne, Saturday morning, 10am

Neil, the change of seasons does make such a difference. Dawn times are changing rapidly.
    I am like you, I am only in the background of family pictures through my obese years.
    I’m thinking of you off in the wild with your kids and having a wonderful time together.

LJoyce that hummingbird cake looks delicious and not so rustic, compared to ones I used to make!
    The (2) beans I collected from my bean bushes also went brown, I think they were scarlet runners (seedlings were gifts from a friend and I can’t remember). I planted them at the wrong time and they died over summer. I bet you will get a few good meals from your harvest!

Thin, so good to hear that DD is having an easier time, even with the study. Fingers crossed for a brilliant job.
    Your glorious frog seems to have appeared to celebrate World Frog Day!

Cali, please pass on to Crickets my sympathy for the loss of her dear cat. I am glad he had such a good life and gentle death.

Anzac, good luck getting life back to a bit of normalcy. It sounds like your work is trying to fit as much into your last couple of weeks as possible!

I’ve also been eating more than is good for me, on these few days where I meant to be so mindful. That delicious barley bread mostly. I will be glad of my fast day tomorrow. Here is the pic of the lovely salad I made with Klondi’s feta (and the greens are from my garden). https://imgur.com/a/pcvQJ9Z

A new day, a new chance to make good decisions. I’ve planned good, sensible food for today.

Hope your day is a good one. Cheers.

Rosy, congratulations on your new home! It sounds like you will have lots of fun doing that. I was blown away by your hotel expenditure! I’m still trying to keep our hotel budget to around $100 – but that’s Asia, not Australia. I understand hotels in Perth are very expensive. Great that you still lost 200g with 4 FDs so there’s a clue. I’ve never been convinced that extra FDs = extra weight loss but that could just be my excuse for not tackling them! You seem to thrive on those water fasting days so if suits you, why not. Well done for your great result so far.

Morning Cinque. Was it world frog day? Is there anything that you don’t know? I love that salad with its perfectly soft boiled egg.

Ooh, crossed posts.

RosyPosy the caravan seems like a great purchase. Your arguments are all good!
    And if your current eating pattern is sustainable, don’t feel you have to change it.
    On the other hand, you could try a change for just one week and find out what it is like.
    Anyway, congratulations on being even closer to your goal!

Congratulations to you too, Gday. Have a great weekend!

Edit: And hi Thin!

To Cinque and Thin, thanks so much for your advice re looking at fasting a different way. I know from experience to listen to your advice because it has been proved on numerous occasions to be sound !

I just remembered about the second time around designer clothes charity event that Thin attended. I personally think designer clothes are way overpriced and overrated and in many cases, poor taste. Just look at what the stars wore to the recent academy awards! The majority of them were dreadful and these were designer clothes selected by personal stylists. It just reminds me of that story of the Emporer’s new clothes!

Hi all

Calif. sad news about your DS cat. He would have been part of all your lives and our pets do give us enormous pleasure and love. Have you a nice spot in your garden for him.

Rosy. Congrats on the caravan. We have had ours for 4 years and love our grey nomad trips in winter to Queensland and other holidays with family in our summer. Ours is quite humble compared to yours. We have an expanda where the beds fold out each end and it gives us generous living space for not much weight. As OH has epilepsy and doesn’t drive, I did a towing course before we bought it, to make sure I was capable of doing the driving and to learn how to back it. That was invaluable but we still have some terse moments when parking it. if you make it to Melbourne, Cinque and I can catch up with you.

Thin, your DD absolutely deserves this break, from the way you described her workload especially when they shortened the course plus working, she wouldn’t have had time to breathe. The extra knowledge she must be gaining studying, even if she doesn’t sit the exam, will help her in the future. Sounds like she takes after her parents, wanting to work anywhere but home.

LJ. you must be the auntie/niece we all would like to have. Great food, taxi driver and babysitting. I hope you are properly appreciated by all.

Kind thoughts from all, please. I am going to a cheese fest tomorrow, how am I going to cope. The wine is not a problem but cider will beckon and oh dear, the cheese in all its forms. Somehow I think this will be my first major hiccup. Maybe a FW rather than a FD might be in order. Oh well, life is to be lived and I will savour every mouthful.

Good afternoon everyone

Went for a long walk up to the ocean and along the esplanade with my best friend this morning. It was further than we planned and I still feel a bit tired.

Klondi, I can add one more ring to the auntie halo. I’ve volunteered to take the 5 & 7 year olds to the new Lego movie next Sunday. I was babysitting them anyway so this will stop them getting bored. It wills probably also involves a fast food lunch – when given the option they invariably choose Maccas or KFC.

Rosy, that’s quite a home away from home you have purchased. I like the washing machine that’s hiding under the bathroom counter. Will you be able to take some little holidays in it before your actually retire?

GDSA. hope you enjoy Glenelg. It’s probably too cold for swimming this weekend but nice for a long beach walk.
    Glad to hear your weight continues to head downward.

Thin, very cute frog.
    I’m with you hotel prices. I want a reasonable standard but am horrified by the idea that Perth hotels cost $400-600.

Cinque, I’m glad the barley bread and feta were both delicious. I actually had a slice of bread with lunch today. My first for the week as I avoid bread when doing Fast800 days.

Neil, I was the same and have very few photos of myself especially when larger. The few I do have are almost all from group photos at family weddings.
    I hope you are enjoying your weekend with the boys.

Cali, I wish you could join me too. Enjoy the Italian I’m sure it will also be lovely.

I have dinner at the French restaurant in Crafers tonight, but my appetite is a bit flat after a week of Fast800 so I hope I do it justice. I will be doing a normal 500cal FD tomorrow. I weighed myself this morning and was happily back in the 73s which is in the middle of my new comfort range. My body does seem to want to head straight back up to 75-76kg unless I’m being a lot more careful than usual. I get nervous when I’m right at the top of my range.

Hope you are all having a fabulous weekend.

Hi Klondi, definitely sending kind thoughts your way. I am a huge cheese lover (Brie is my favourite). I am a passionate believer in living life to the max to which the posters who have known me longer will attest. I’m on my second marriage and feel I have been a given a new chance at a happy life(I deserve it after 28 years of misery ) so hub and I have a very active social life. I also lost a beloved friend to stage 4 brain cancer last November. These two reasons have made me determined to seize the day ! My life goes from partying, eating and drinking on the weekend to liquids only fast days during the week and I have still managed to have lost 20.5 kg. So in other words, enjoy your cheese fest and in 3 fast days you will be back to normal.

Also what things do you find invaluable in your caravan ? For example, do you need to buy those pots made of plastic? I have even seen a collapsible, plastic electric kettle!

Rosy, the caravan sounds like a great idea for traveling around the country. I tried looking up some pictures of it but couldn’t find any of the inside. Do you have photos?
    I agree with you about designer clothes being way overpriced and overrated, especially many of those worn at the academy awards. But surely you don’t mean the custom gown Melissa McCarthy wore:
    http://pbs.twimg.com/media/D0O8CqeX4AAHaFP.jpg 😁😆 That had to be an all time favorite! It really made me laugh.

Thin, thanks for the suggestion of The Legend on Netflix. I’ll have to see if we have it here. We just binge watched After Life starring Ricky Gervais on Netflix. It’s 6 episodes. All 3 of us loved it.

I watched the first 2 episodes of Russian Doll yesterday and found it very weird. But OH and every critic I’ve read seems to love it, so I’ll have to watch at least one more episode before abandoning it. The episodes are a half hour or less.

LJ, your hummingbird cake looks beautiful! I hadn’t heard of it before but see that it’s a cake that’s popular in the southern states. And I think I probably have eaten similar without knowing the name. You seem to be getting a good crop of beans this year.

Cinque, that salad with Klondi’s feta is a work of art. What a beautifully arranged salad!

Klondi, have fun at the cheese fest tomorrow. I love trying different types of cheeses. That should be fun. Hopefully there will be a lot of people you know there. It’s usually easier to pace yourself when you’re busy talking to people.

Gday, have a nice trip down to Adelaide. How long does it take to drive there?

Oops sorry LJ that post went before I had replied to you. Yes we will go away at weekends, we can take long service leave days off and we get lots of holidays.

Your weather must be nicer over there if you are able to go for long, beachside walks.

You can get much cheaper hotels in Perth but hub likes the best ones more and while we are both working, why not ? We do all our own cleaning , gardening and work long hours so expensive hotels are a deserved treat.

The drive across the Nullabor is awful and the accommodation pretty dismal so I am looking forward to travelling it in our lovely van.

At Cali , there is a similar drive in the US from Browning (Glacier national park which is amazing) to Rawlins .

Good morning everyone.

Have a wonderful time at that cheese festival, Klondi!

It is Sunday fast day for me, soup things are soaking.

I love that designer dress Cali!
    Aren’t those catwalk fashions so often ridiculous. But I must say that the nicest things: design, cut and attention to detail, that I have found (at op shops) have been made by a designer brand. Although, come to think of it, I have found some wonderful things from gorgeous natural materials and beautifully crafted, that are from way out of the normal clothes trade and seem to be made in the depths of the Indian sub-continent, China or South America.

I’ve got a quiet day at home, after a busy week last week and another busy week ahead. I am looking forward to just pottering around and, hopefully, getting a lot done.

Hoping your day is lovely. best wishes.

This is a test. I have been trying to submit a post since yesterday. It won’t accept it. Fortunately, I did copy/paste it so I can keep trying.

Hmmm, strange. Anyone else having this problem? I hope we don’t suddenly see 10 thinatlast duplicates.

Oh well, it’s a good day today. Fasting and 58.5kg. Couldn’t be better. Mexican Chicken Soup for our family fast day dinner. Have a great day all.

Aha! I worked out that it didn’t like my link to Ricky Gervais’ skit on The Bible. The funniest thing he’s ever written IMHO but I suppose it could upset the OBEs….

CalifD, I haven’t seen After Life but I loved Humanity. Just so funny. I had to look up Melissa McCarthy and the dress as I hadn’t heard of either. Funny that you are having to ‘persevere’ with Russian Doll. A good friend recommended, ‘Roma’ to me. Firstly, it has subtitles, secondly it’s in B&W. Hard work on the couch! Although I haven’t got very far with it because it’s not OH’s thing at all, she urges me to keep going and, because of the subject matter, I wondered if you three (CalifD, Mr CD and Crickets) might like it? See what you think.

Rosy, I am sorry to read that you had 28 years of misery. That’s horrible but at least you’re out of it now. I agree about the designer clothing. Some of it is hideous. I really went hoping to get better quality and something a little different. One of the dresses I tried on apparently cost $1200 new. Crazy! It had the designer’s signature all over the fabric design. But that hasn’t helped me remember who it was. You are taking our unsolicited advice with good grace! But you must find what works for you and if you like the 2:5 lifestyle, well that’s fine. We are all different.

Klond, thanks for your nice words for DD. Those caravanning trips sound fun. I don’t think I’d be too good at backing up a caravan, I can barely manage a small trailer. Have a lovely cheesy day tomorrow. It’s not a FD so who cares?

Rosy and Klond, we also have friends diagnosed with horrid life-changing illnesses. I have a slightly different take on the ‘life is too short’ mantra to some. These stories don’t make me want to throw caution to the wind and eat like I might die tomorrow. Instead they inspire me to take even better care of my health so that I can enjoy a long, disease-free retirement. (I still think you should enjoy all the cheese you desire tomorrow because it’s a NFD).

LJ, I hope the restaurant was fun. Are you having escargot? I’ll be fasting with you tomorrow. I was back at my absolute lowest weight since starting 5:2 today, 58.5kg, for the first time since we were in Spain doing all those hilly walks. We had mahi mahi for dinner so I might be even lower tomorrow.

Neil, as an outdoorsman and hunter, I’m wondering how you feel about the proposed new gun laws in your country. Have you had a fabulous time with your boys?

Cinque, LJ, the frog is back on his magnolia leaf tonight. Perhaps he’ll hang around. I wonder why he’s keeping so quiet. Envious of your rain, Cinque. It was a cool 27C in Perth today and no humidity. Just about perfect, eh Rosy?

Hi Quacka, Anzac, Betsy, Lindsay. And everyone.

9:30 Sunday, Adelaide
    Good morning everyone.

Klondi, enjoy the cheese. I also adore it in all its forms (except blu and goats I’m not too fond of). The only way I manage a cheese platter at parties is to cut a piece and than walk away. If I stay near it I tend to keep eating. Maybe try the same thing at the festival. If they are offering samples of cheese take a small piece and step back. I’d also suggest having it without any crackers, unless it’s a soft cheese that can’t be eaten without them. That way you save a few more calories for more cheese!

GDSA, have a safe drive home. Hope you enjoyed your weekend at Glenelg.

Cali, the recipe I have for hummingbird cake says it’s from the southern US. I always think that any cake that’s been around for a while, comes with cream cheese frosting is almost certainly American in origin.

Rosy, glad to hear you are out of a bad marriage and happy now. It does sound like you enjoy life to the full.

Cinque, I too am fasting today. Enjoy your soup.
    I have field mushrooms, asparagus and baby zucchini to griddle which I will probably have with a poached egg.

Thin, it would appear the posting gremlins have finally relented and allowed you to talk to us again. No I didn’t have escargot. I have eaten them before and they are fin – although all you really taste is garlic butter. However I can’t manage 3 courses. I had the pastilla for main and a creme brulee with raspberries for dessert.

My dinner out was lovely and modest portions so although I am fasting today I don’t especially feel like I need to because of overindulgence. Hope everyone has a fabulous Sunday.

Glad you enjoyed the French cuisine LJ. My OH used to fly helicopters for Jacques Cousteau and he said they ate really well on the Halcyon. Rich sauces and modest portions. Excellent food was a high priority for the French crew. But if he needed a screw for the chopper, he’d be filling in endless forms in triplicate trying to get the funds approved!

Good morning all! Thin your mention of Jacques Cousteau made me think of the song John Denver wrote and sang to honour him. Was it Calypso ? These are the words I remember, ‘Aye Calypso I sing to your spirit ………’ I love John Denver’s music so much , we visited Aspen where he lived a lot of his life. It is a ski town in the Rocky Mountains but we saw it in Autumn and it was still spectacular. There is a park in the town dedicated to his memory with huge rocks upon which are inscribed with his most famous songs. We also went to Monterey, the place where he died in a light plane crash.

I’m having a gloriously lazy Sunday morning,( hub has gone to sign. The paper work for the caravan. I will post a link but will have to go to my laptop as I am not sure of how to do it on an iPad without losing my spot here.

I’m just going through a chemist’s catalogue of a vitamin sale and as I was circling some possible purchases, the thought came to me, do you take vitamins and if so, what?
    Here are the vitamins I circled:
    Hipprex (cranberries) for preventing UTI
    MSM powder ( joints, muscles, bones )
    Glucosamine, chondroitin and turmeric
    Hawthorn
    Celery
    Viraforce
    Curcurmin and Boswellia

@lj there are some that are meant to help with rheumatism.

https://www.retreatcaravans.com.au/product/fraser/

Okay , I’m on my laptop now. The only difference is that ours has a sideways u shaped club lounge not cafe benches, our bed is east west (you get more cupboards and the ensuite is at the opposite end to the bedroom.

Hub is placing the deposit today to take advantage of the show special which is $5000 off total and we take delivery in December (we are in no hurry).

Well we’re back, it was a gruelling 3.5 hours out this morning including a 340 meter climb up the side of a mountain. But I’m feeling pretty good about the trip, and I’m proud of my two boys who at 10 and 12 managed fabulously. I’ll try to put up some pics but I’m not sure of the best way to do it but I’ll try to post some links to flickr

This is the view from the hut up to the top of the mountain that we had to climb this morning https://www.flickr.com/photos/43493775@N06/46729514794/in/album-72157707524648655/

My boys eating Scroggin at the summit, seven hundred and seventy seven meters https://www.flickr.com/photos/43493775@N06/47452619321/in/album-72157707524648655/

And after climbing the 340 vertical meters known as “The Devil’s staircase” you reach “pulpit rock” to preach a sermon and banish the demons https://www.flickr.com/photos/43493775@N06/46729514494/in/album-72157707524648655/

Hi All,

Apologies for the long absence and lack of updates! I miss you all, though long hours at work and then some at home have intervened.

Cinque, I’m glad your garden is happy and that the plentiful drinks from nature have continued! It’s Sunday here too which means is a FD for you? Happy FD!

LJ ocean walks along esplanade sound beautiful! Might you be walking along Glenelg? I’ve walked along ocean there when staying at nearby caravan park. Love that stretch of coast! Happy Sunday FD

Rosy, that home on wheels looks 5 star for sure!

Did I read ‘cheese festival’? Yum! I could go for that!

Neil, what a climb! I looked up those places and I found a ‘Devil’s staircase’ in New Zealand, a ‘Pulpit Rock’ in New South Wales and ‘Scroggin’ I researched to discover it is a New Zealand phrase, so I am guessing you scaled those peaks on South Island?

Thin, I’ve continued to maintain within my goal weight envelope practicing 6:1 via my 500 calorie Friday Fast Day. However, I began practicing 6:1 not long after finishing the Silly Season Challenge and at that time I was happily losing weight on 5:2 following my Silly Season Challenge commitments. Finishing the SSC, I was at the bottom of my goal weight envelope range. Since then a very stressful work situation arose that continued on for the past month or so and I found myself ‘stress eating’ regularly in response. Because of that, I worked my way back up to the top end of goal weight ‘wiggle room’. I know it isn’t a good excuse, since none are though the stress eating saw the practice of my heeding my daily calorie bank balance, go by the wayside. Thank goodness that on Friday one of the bosses came to me to let me know that the stressful scenario is now out of the hands of our organization. Yea! What a relief! I’m now looking at returning to the SSC practice that I started in December which worked so well. I’ll keep you posted!

Rosy, one more thing I meant to ask… I’m still pondering moving into lower carb and higher fat. You mentioned that you ‘failed spectacularly’ with ‘keto’. I’m curious what your experience was since it’s always good to know what ‘sharks are in the water’ before I dip my toe in!

Cheers!

Yes in the South Island, I’m in Dunedin and the start of the track is only 20 minutes out of town. We parked at the Semple Road car park and basically followed the yellow track on the map on this brochure.

https://www.doc.govt.nz/globalassets/documents/parks-and-recreation/tracks-and-walks/otago/silver-peaks-tracks.pdf

Scroggin is what the Americans usually call trail mix. It’s an energy mix of nuts, dried fruit and dark chocolate.

Sunday 4.30pm. Driving back home now, 3 and a half hour trip. As I expected we over ate. Pasta, risotto, garlic bread, bacon and eggs…. All nice restaurants with lovely sevice so was enjoyable. Definitely fasting tomorrow.

My tboughts on discussions over the weekend –

Vitamins- I think unless one has a blood test to show there is a deficiency in a particular vitamin or mineral then there is absolutely no need to take them. But in saying that, the majority of vitamins on the market are synthetic and don’t offer what they claim. The vitamin industry is unregulated and they can get away with anything. Finding non synthetic vitamins is like looking for hens teeth.

Keto – I’m a big fan of the keto lifestyle as well as paleo. I think both have a lot to offer for good health. I would like to get back to living the keto/paleo lifestyle. I’ve given up alcohol so just need to give up the grains. The one thing I will never give up is full fat dairy and because of that I can never be 100% keto/paleo.

Cheese – OMG I love white cheese. Goats cheese is my a absolute favourite and then feta, bocinelli etc. Not a big fan of camembert or brie.

Oops typing in a moving car is tricky. I was also going to add that I follow Dr Eric Berg, Luke Hines and Pete Evans (I can hear some of you groaning as I mention Pete….lol) for their paleo and keto lifestyles.

As the cool change has arrived I have lots of doors and windows open to let the fresh air through. Unfortunately a neighbour with a roast in the oven had the same idea. The aroma has been tormenting me on my FD for the last 2 hours! I think I’ll need an early dinner.

Neil, thanks for the photos, it looks like you had a wonderful time trekking through the mountains. I too had to look up scroggin. I have to tell you though that the trail mix that I see here doesn’t contain chocolate – I think that makes scroggin superior and probably necessary after that climb. I hope the boys really enjoyed their weekend too – I like the photo of one of them hiding between the matresses!
    If you keep up all this climbing you may not need that recumbent bike to stay fit.

Minka, it isn’t Glenelg beach that I walk along – that’s a short driving distance not walking distance for me. I can get to the shore of Brighton beach and back home in a 1 hour walk. So to go along the esplanade for a few blocks turns it into a 90 walk which is my upper limit unless I go slowly and take a few breaks (my knees swell too much otherwise).
    It sounds like I had a similar experience to Rosy with a low carb diet. I can handle 80g carb as a limit as long as I have a lots of veg and some fibre supplements, but any lower and it actually makes me feel ill and really upsets my digestive system. I quickly figured out that my body requires a high fibre intake and a high fat diet causes incessant gastric reflux.
    The people I know who do well and feel better on this kind of diet are those either with diabetes or insulin resistance – and that’s not me.

Rosy, I do take some supplements, but cost is factor for me. Because I spend quite a bit of money on prescribed medications I don’t buy alternative medicines that aren’t supported by scientific evidence – I just can’t afford to and I don’t believe the hype or marketing without seeing the evidence. Unfortunately none of the things you listed are useful for rheumatoid arthritis (which is an auto immune disease and quite different to things like rheumatism and osteo-arthritis).
    I do take some non-drug supplements that my doctors have specifically advised me to. The only non-drug treatment that has any evidence of aiding rheumatoid arthritis is fish oil – and only if you take at least 20ml a day. I don’t take this much as it’s just too many calories for me to allocate to something other than food (I take 5ml as there is evidence it’s still useful for other health issues at this lower level). As it’s proven benefit for RA is a very slight one I don’t feel too badly about this decision.
    My GP has advised me I need to take vitamin D as I am deficient, so I take one Ostelin capsule per day. He also advised me to take one cranberry extract capsule per day as I was getting frequent urinary tract irritation and occasional infections. Surprisingly the scientific evidence showed cranberry was effective for reducing UTI symptoms in women but not in men. It certainly does work for me, just 3 days without it and the irritation starts again. (I found all brands of cranberry capsule have been fine as long as the strength is at least 15000mg – which is most of them. I always hunt for the cheapest option when I need more.)
    The only self-diagnosed supplement I take is calcium – although it was in response to information the dietitian provided – and I did check with my GP if this was advisable before I started. I take one 600mg capsule of calcium per day because the national guidelines say that women over 50 need 4 serves of dairy (or calcium rich alternatives) per day – that’s 1200mg. I struggled to eat this much dairy without adding too many calories to my day. If I eat the amount of dairy that feels comfortable to me, I only average 2 1/2 serves so I’m making up the difference as a serve contains about 300mg of calcium.
    The only other deficiencies I’m prone to are iron and potassium but these are monitored with regular blood tests and I can always fix the potassium issue with one banana a day – it solves the problem within one month every time. With iron I usually need to both add a bit more red meat to my diet (as I eat very little of it) and I also need to take a Ferro-gradumet supplement for a while until my haemoglobin levels recover.
    I know lots of people swear by all sorts of supplements and if they work for you that’s fine. I would check with your GP though if you are taking a lot of things as some combinations and higher doses can be dangerous. The other way of staying safe is to took at the recommended daily intake in the national guidelines, if a supplement is giving you more than this amount then it could be problematic – in high doses some vitamins can have a toxic effect.
    This is the source doc that I have from the dietitian: https://www.eatforhealth.gov.au/sites/default/files/files/the_guidelines/n55a_australian_dietary_guidelines_summary_book.pdf
    I do try to get most of the nutrients I need from my food by including as much fresh seasonal produce as I can. For me it’s a healthier way of getting the vitamins and minerals I need – especially as in food form I also get the 3 different types of fibre which are quite important to me as I’ve found I need 45g of fibre a day to avoid IBS symptoms. I do sometimes need a fibre supplement like psyllium as well but my body does better with a range of different fibre sources.
    Most people don’t have fibre needs at anything like this level. I think the daily recommended intake is 20-30g, which is far more modest.

Thin, I remember reading the “French Women Don’t Get Fat” book where she described the way dinner ever night was commonly 3 courses with very modest portions but lots of variety and a focus on fresh ingredients that were picked or purchased daily. It hit a cord with me because it was the first diet approach I came across where food was to be enjoyed not avoided.

It’s taken me so long to write this that I’ve made it to 5:30pm and can now cook my FD dinner.

I should add that my average intake of 2 1/2 serves of dairy per day does not include the occasional cheese binge!

Hi Minke, to answer your question re Keto. I really like the idea of a low carb wol especially with the anti grain info GDay supplied. I truly believe that carbs (sugar)are the enemy(=I would never eat a banana )With Keto, it is quite inflexible. It also didn’t specify exactly how much meat to eat. I was eating far too much. Also, you can’t have a social life, so as soon as you drink or eat something with carbs, you undo all the good you have done. I have a friend who started Keto when I started the Fast Diet Sept 2018. She and I lost at the same rate. When she had lost 5 kg, she couldn’t
    sustain it because it banned food groups permanently so she really suffered when socialising and ended putting on the 5 kg back on. Then a friend at work recommended Slimming World and the same thing happened. She has finally listened to me and has lost ten kg and coping fine. Fasting is much better than Keto because if you crave something you don’t have to live without it, you just wait till your nfd. Mm recommends the low carb Mediterranean which is what I will do when I am at maintainance. I think it is a psychological thing, that if you think you have to live permanently without your favourite food then it won’t work. Yes the good fats are satiating. Hope that helps.

Re vitamins while I am fasting 5 days a week, I need to take extra.

Hi Rosy, I would love to give you a few tips but it might end up a long post of little or no interest to anyone else. I will put my email address on my profile and once you have it, then we can have a nice chat about caravanning.

LJ. Definitely an extra glow on your halo. Sometimes these kids shows are a sneaky pleasure for us adults. Years ago, we were in your area and went to the Wacky Wood with our kids. I hope it is still around because we had so much fun there.

Cheese fest was held in the beautiful gardens of Werribee Mansion, a very elegant building which has become quite a tourist attraction. There wasn’t as many tasting options as I expected but I did have half of a lovely mozzarella burger, some cider and now have a source of fresh goats milk which is hard to get locally. Weather was warm, music was good and company was pleasant and not too much damage to the calories.

Gday hope you are close to finishing those renos and you can have your house back and can spend your time on the finishing touches

Cinque I am glad you enjoyed the feta. It is in good company with your home grown greens.

Hi Minka, good to read your update and that you’ll be persevering with the 6:1 regime despite the hiccups caused from work.

GDSA, I’m with you about supplements and have only read bad reports – the industry is about as honest as the tobacco industry and there are many studies showing that not only do they often offer no benefits but that they can be harmful. When I lived in California, it seemed everyone I knew was taking them by the handful which I could never understand because there was such an abundance of good quality fruit and veg. – and other foods. Is this still the case CalifD or has the industry finally been exposed?

Nevertheless, like LJ, I take fish oil but only ever Melrose in its liquid form and only on NFDs due to the high calorie content. I have it on good authority from Perth’s top orthopods that fish oil capsules are completely ineffective. I also take Ostelin vitamin D, and absolutely hate the fact that I’ve been told that this will be necessary for life. Different food combinations affect absorption so you can never be certain of the amounts. And you don’t need to be a rocket scientist to work out that, if a vitamin isn’t water soluble, A & D for example (high school domestic science), then the only way to monitor if it’s being taken at toxic levels requires repeated visits to the GP for blood tests. As a well person, I completely reject this model. Every five years for the PAP smear will do me nicely, thank you.

Neil, I meant to thank you for posting the link for the kidney bean cake. That led me to the Fast800 site which I hadn’t really looked at before. There are some very sensible articles on that website. Sounds like you had a wonderful time with your boys.

It’s been another good FD, aren’t they all? But, like you LJ, I had endure aromas. We went to the Fremantle Arts Centre to listen to courtyard music and we had to sit near the pizza oven. Not that I eat pizza but I could have done without that for 2 hours.

Penguin, what’s happened to you? That seems a very long holiday in Portugal if that’s where you are. Hoping all is well.

Rosy, I wonder if you’ll spend a few nights sleeping in the caravan in the driveway when it arrives in December? It will be fun to take delivery and check it all out. Was the camping show you attended in McCallum Park in Vic. Park? I don’t remember seeing it on my walks.

P.S. Klond, pleased the cheesy day was so good and with little (anticipated) damage on the scales. I love goats’ cheese, haven’t had any goats’ milk that I know of. I love mozzarella and just about all cheese. I’m not a huge fan of brie or camembert but only because they’re always on sale in the supermarkets which makes me suspicious! Handing the fasting baton over to you now ….

Rosy, thank you for your earlier message. Noted.

7:30am Mon, Adelaide
    Good morning all.

It was a wet and stormy night… No not the beginning of a horror story, just a definite move into autumn here. The storm was a bit noisy and hard to sleep through. For once it was fences rattling rather than the dog that woke me early.

I have the nurse coming at 9:30 to do my infusion. So I needed to be up early to hydrate properly, otherwise it’s hard to get the drip jelco into a vein.

Rosy, I agree that a multivitamin might be necessary when fasting. I would recommend that you check the ingredients in your shakes (if you are still using them) because they should also contain micro nutrient supplements, so you may need fewer other supplements than you thought.

Thin, yes of course the FD was ok, I think we’ve gotten to the point where we refuse to let it not be – did I ever mention that stubbornness was one of my traits? All I can say is that tonight I’m glad lamb chops are on the menu to make up for that roast that drove me crazy yesterday! Maybe I’ll leave the windows open ans return the favour.

Minka, it’s good that you’ve had an assessment of keto/low carb from those it didn’t suit and someone who it really does. You may also find Lindsay’s comments helpful too because I think her preference is for low carb.

Klondi, glad you managed that cheese challenge so well.

Have a good day all.

Good morning! A rainy morning and much cooler. Yesterday was hellishly hot and humid but it looks like that was the last of the really hot weather

So I managed a very controlled eating day yesterday, despite the fact that we were once again entertaining. So have managed to limit the damage over the last 4-5 days to a half kilo gain. Today’s FD very welcome and SIL flies home today so we can go back to our normal schedule.

Boss just arrived (early – gah!) so will try and post later.

Well I ploughed through a bit of food when I got back yesterday, but I don’t think it will hold me back too much because I definitely burned off plenty of calories over the two days away.

I’m trying my hand at making some biltong at the moment, I’ve become quite fond of it since starting the fast800 since 40 grams has only 100 calories but has about half of your daily protein requirements. It’s the perfect snack for the fast800. I hope it turns out ok

Up at 4 dark thirty this morning. By torchlight, I saw that the motorbike frog is still in position on his fallen magnolia leaf despite DD building him a lovely personal pond nearby. I wonder if he went for a dip overnight. Annoyed to be up so early but I did go to bed early so feel quite rested and will be meeting my friend for walkies shortly.

Anzac, did you manage to secure some time off in between jobs?

Envious of your rain LJ and Anzac. It’s hovering around the high twenties, low thirties here – absolutely glorious days and cool nights.

Cinque, hoping you too had a great FD yesterday. LJ, waft that lamb down the road.

Enjoying a frothy coffee, looking forward to bridge. Who knew Mondays could be such good fun? My partner is away so I will play with another lady today. Tomorrow, I’m playing with the big kids again, sheer terror but supposedly good experience. Just hoping to get through it without annoying anyone. Sounds fun, eh?

Hi everyone,

Well Monday noon here in NZ, gorgeous day yesterday but cloudy and windy here today, like Aus, autumn has certainlly arrived!!! The leaves are changing colour and the mountain tops I look at from the lounge window look real threatening!!! My favourite sseason.

Can’t beleive so much time has passed since my last post announcing almost reaching my 1st goal of 80kgs, been doing so much since then, travelling around, house sitting down in Queenstown, visiting friends, having overseas visitors visiting us and tripping up to Auckland to purchase our new forever home on four wheels!!! Not disimilar to yours Rosy, we went with the Jayco, 23ft with slide outs, felt we needed the room with being in it 24/7, 365!!!

Weigh in this morning and finally got to 78kg dead!! Seem to have been hovering hear for ages, still doing the 800 every day although we have been contemplating having one day off a week, it does seem to be a bit slower than I had hoped for but the weight is coming off and we are socialising so much so why worry, there is no rush I have decided, and find I can control getting it off to get back where I was again. Ususally we have just the two meals a day, first one around now and the second one, dinner, around 6-7pm, drink a lot of herbal teas, black coffee and water so keeping our TRE to 16:8. Walk 5-6kms most days, not much else exercise!!!

Feeling so much better and healthier, feeling tempted to get my bloods done just to get a benchmark check!!

Great to hear how well everyone is doing, happy fast day to all,

Turnabout

Lovely to hear from you Turnabout! Welcome back and good job making this a sustainable WOL. You have been busy.

I just came back to brag about my new PB. 58.4kg. This is the lowest weight I’ve been in 40 years. It’s not sustainable and I haven’t been aiming for it – it’s just where I am now.

Monday 11am. Well I definitely suffered last night and this morning from my carb overload on the weekend. At home when I eat pasta it’s spelt pasta, bread is rye and rice is brown and I never have gut issues eating these. The weekends indulgence was all bad white flour based carbs – normal pasta, white bread and also white rice. I’ve certainly learnt my lesson – stay clear of white carbs and eat small amounts of good carbs which is what I normally do.

Rosy I have a different philosophy in regards to food. For me, food is medicine. Over the last few years I no longer crave the bad foods I used to love. Now I crave the nutrient dense whole foods that I have grown to love. And even now that OH and I have given up alcohol we don’t feel like we are missing out socially. We still go to our local regularly and do the same as we did when we were consuming alcohol. The only difference now a is night at the pub costs us $10 instead of $100….lol.

I have friends who have successfully been keto and paleo for many years and find it so easy to sustain. They have reversed physical and mental health issues and tell me they could never go back to their old way of eating.

It comes down to our individual lifestyles, what we want to achieve and how we feel comfortable doing it. For me it’s about total health and wellbeing, for others it may be a weight loss goal only.

I know after my carb consumption on the weekend my body can no longer tolerate a white carb hit so next time we go to the city i will be much wiser my food choices.

Wow Thin, that is amazing, gosh probably 40 years ago since I was last that!!! Been speaking to BIL and he wanted to know our weights in stone and pounds, got quite a shock when I converted!! Hahahaha

Thin, I don’t have a start date at the new job yet. There has been a delay because the program manager had a personal emergency and the girl who is getting me on board had to step up in her absence. This is good as my current manager is begging me to stay for another week to get them over the line for this phase. So I think they only just started the background checks and they can take anywhere between 2 and 4 weeks. I will definitely have a least a couple of days off in between or hopefully as long as a week. Congrats on your very very low weight!

Gday sorry you aren’t feeling well but at least you know why and what to do in future to avoid feeling this way.

I hope your infusion went well this morning LJ. So glad you are enjoying some cooler weather too, what a relief isn’t it?

Rosy, you and your hubby have a familiar view on life to my hubby and I. We like some luxuries sometimes, especially when we travel. So we are as frugal as possible and then don’t worry about spending when we want. In fact that is my hubby’s mantra: ‘Save where you can so you can spend where you want’. I was sad to hear your first marriage was miserable but so happy for you now.

I could never in a million years pay for designer clothing or handbags. I do love bags but the thought of paying $1800 or more for one makes me shake my head. I have some gorgeous bags that have bought overseas but what makes them special is their uniqueness, not the price. I have a shoulder bag that I bought at an elephant rescue place in Thailand and a hand-made clutch that I bought in Cuba from a shy young girl in a market – amongst many others. OH calls me a bag-lady sometimes, the brute 🙂

Penguin, where are you? I posted some pictures of Maxx the other day and I think you have missed them.

I thoroughly enjoyed my husband/SIL/Maxx-free days but was also so happy to see them come home. I came home from lunch with two girlfriends to find them back and I launched myself at Maxx and we had a cuddle and a play on the floor. Then I looked up to find hubby standing there with his arms out waiting for a hello kiss. OOPS!

Hello Turnabout, nice to ‘meet’ you. Where are your from in NZ? My hubby is from Wellington but he has lived here (in Sydney) for 30 years now

This week sees the start of an accelerated weight loss as time is ticking away. Hubby wants to take me to a big sale that Katmandu are having to buy our padded jackets for the holiday. They are half price so if I like the one he has picked out for me I will buy a smaller size and then I have even more motivation…because to spend $320 on a jacket and not be able to take it to Europe at the end of the year would be a savage waste. I’m just not sure exactly what size to get but I will figure it out when I see it I guess.

Hi Cinque, Cali, Klondie, Lindsay, Intesha, BetsyLee, Quacka, Neil, Minka, Merry, Kanga and anyone else I have missed. Take care 🙂

Thin, congrats on your new 58.4 low! That is definitely something to be proud of. And I bet you could maintain right around there. Just keep doing what you’ve been doing.
    I finished watching all 8 episodes of Russian Doll on a Netflix. That is one f^$#@ weird series. I guess I sort of enjoyed it on some ‘existential’ level, enough to finish watching it. Great acting.

Neil, thanks for posting the photos. NZ is such a beautiful country. That hike uphill sounds brutal though. You have 2 good looking sons! I had to look up Scroggin. It sounds much more fun than trail mix. 😁

Rosy, thanks for posting the link for the caravan. It looks luxurious inside, a home away from home. You’re going to have so much fun with it. I agree with some of the others that most of the vitamins and supplements we need should come from food, but we do take Vitamin D because with sunscreen and all, we’ve tested low in the past, occasional B12 for the brain, omega 3, and Curcurmin. We’ve also tried various brands of probiotics when we’re not eating a lot of fermented foods. Thin, yes, vitamins and supplements in every type and color are very popular here. Gummy vitamins are the latest thing. One could make a meal of them! 🤪

The Keto diet seems to be very popular here lately. I’m not very familiar with it because this 5:2 fasting works well for me and I have little reason to look further. I do know several people that have lost weight on it, but as soon as they go off of it they gain it back. It seems difficult to eliminate food groups for the long term.

LJ, that walk down to the beach and back sounds wonderful. Your new neighborhood sounds like a good place to walk without all the big hills. I hope your infusion went well.

Anzac, good luck on the accelerated weight loss prior to shopping for that new jacket. Most jackets do have a little more leeway than some other types of clothing. But I suppose it depends on the style.

Thanks for all the alerts to snags when practicing the lower the carb intake.

Congratulations Thin for reaching back to a weight you haven’t experienced in 40 years!

Well, haven’t gotten back to practicing the SSC way and I’m traveling for the rest of the week on business, attending a work conference, so I don’t even see that I’ll be able to pull off 6:1 this week! Definitely 5:2 will be in order for following week! I’ll let you know!

Turnabout thanks, funny you should say that about converting as it was just today that I converted 58.4kg into lbs which is the unit I identify with the best – from when I lived in the USA. It’s 128lbs. I was 132lbs in my twenties at my absolute fittest when I was an obsessive 5 mile a day runner. Windsurfed all weekend. I also did step aerobics after work and trampolined for 45 minutes. Putting your cells through g-forces was not only for fitness but an anti-ageing strategy. (I can now reveal that didn’t work, ha!) Anyway, I might revise that 40 years and make it 50 years since I last saw this weight!

Thanks also Minka and CalifD. Just had a shot glass of ‘Baileys’, no idea why, so there’s the self-sabotage kicking in already.

CalifD, we started watching ‘Russian Doll’ last night. I could tell from the blurb that it wouldn’t be my thing but I thought OH would like it as he does fantasy, sci-fi, grey areas, etc. He didn’t like it so we had to find something else. He found a violent action movie and I fell asleep on the couch. I might try again when he’s out.

CalifD, I know nothing of paleo or keto either. I found this thing called 5:2, it works so well for me and I can’t imagine doing anything else.

Anzac, hope you don’t have to work too hard finishing up where you are! How exciting to get your new jackets and have a great reason to shed more kilos.

Safe trip Minka, hope it’s somewhere nice.

Hi everyone, lots of interesting posts, can’t respond to them all. For me – frustrated as I’ve hit a plateau, which I didn’t expect as I avoided my last “usual” plateau. Still down 2.2kg for the month, but I was aiming for 3.4 kg, and unless this plateau shifts, it’s not going to happen.

Interesting discussion about supplements. I was put on Vitamin D because my levels were found to be low when I had breast cancer in 2007. Because of my very fair skin, and resultant skin cancers, I now avoid the sun a lot, so definitely need to take it. Osteoarthritis causes pain in my hands and especially feet, so (because NSAIDs are not allowed with BP medication) my doctor recommended I try taking Curcumin (the active ingredient in turmeric) as a natural anti-inflammatory – the highest dose one I found is Bioglan, and I always buy it when it’s on special. It seems to help a bit, though I’d prefer to be on a NSAID – my hope when I lose enough weight is for less foot pain, and no need to take anything! 🙂

Apart from that, 500 mg Vitamin C because without it I bruise a LOT; still bruise easily anyway, but not as much.
    I also take a multivitamin and multi-B. Yes, I can get vitamins from food, and I do, but it doesn’t seem to be enough. I feel much better if I take the supplements. Interestingly, I’ve tried a few brands, and there are certain brands that I know are NOT right for me – one I threw out most of the container’s worth because my body was telling me I wasn’t getting what I needed.

Actually, the multi-B I used to take because I do a lot of “brain” work, and it’s supposed to be helpful (or used to be said to be helpful?). However, I actually had my DNA sequenced last year, and the nutritionist I saw (who has a PhD in nutrition, so knows his stuff) identified two pathways where there were problems with the way my body uses vitamins – with vitamin D (not surprised) and with B Vitamins, so that confirmed my sense that my body needed the supplements. I agree there are shonky brands out there, and often poor quality control, but once a person find a regime that works for them, I think they should settle for that. Not everyone is the same.

Magnesium supplements? Wait till you’re older! – many older folk get leg and/or foot cramps, especially at night. I certainly didn’t when younger, but I do now. I only need to take it, powder form in 200 ml water, about twice a week to stop the foot cramps.

Sorry, long rant about supplements, but …. it depends on what your body needs. Interestingly, the nutritionist expected me to be low on some minerals, etc., because of lacks in the Australian soil, which is passed on to the fruits and vegetables we all eat here – copper and zinc in particular can show up as deficiencies, but for me those were fine.

Well, back to the fasting tomorrow – and the next day, and maybe the next. Have to shake this plateau.

CalifD, I haven’t seen After Life but I loved Humanity. Just so funny. But this is still the funniest for me: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4qtmfv I think you and I discussed it once before. I had to look up Melissa McCarthy and the dress as I hadn’t heard of either. Funny that you are having to ‘persevere’ with Russian Doll. A good friend recommended, ‘Roma’ to me. Firstly, it has subtitles, secondly it’s in B&W. Hard work on the couch! Although I haven’t got very far with it because it’s not OH’s thing at all, she urges me to keep going and, because of the subject matter, I wondered if you three (CalifD, Mr CD and Crickets) might like it? See what you think.

Rosy, I am sorry to read that you had 28 years of misery. That’s horrible but at least you’re out of it now. I agree about the designer clothing. Some of it is hideous. You are taking our unsolicited advice with good grace! But you must find what works for you and if you like the 2:5 lifestyle, well that’s fine. We are all different.

Klond, thanks for your nice words for DD. Those caravanning trips sound fun. I don’t think I’d be too good at backing up a caravan, I can barely manage a small trailer. Have a lovely cheesy day tomorrow. It’s not a FD so who cares?

Rosy and Klond, we also have friends diagnosed with horrid life-changing illnesses. I have a slightly different take on the ‘life is too short’ mantra to some. These stories don’t make me want to throw caution to the wind and eat like I might die tomorrow. Instead they inspire me to take even better care of my health so that I can enjoy a long, disease-free retirement. (I still think you should enjoy all the cheese you desire tomorrow because it’s a NFD).

LJ, I hope the restaurant was fun. Are you having escargot? I’ll be fasting with you tomorrow. I was back at my absolute lowest weight since starting 5:2 today, 58.5kg, for the first time since we were in Spain doing all those hilly walks. We had mahi mahi for dinner so I might be even lower tomorrow.

Neil, as an outdoorsman and hunter, I’m wondering how you feel about the proposed new gun laws in your country. Have you had a fabulous time with your boys?

Cinque, LJ, the frog is back on his magnolia leaf tonight. Perhaps he’ll hang around. I wonder why he’s keeping so quiet. Envious of your rain, Cinque. It was a cool 27C in Perth today and no humidity. Just about perfect, eh Rosy?

Hi Quacka, Anzac, Betsy, Lindsay. And everyone.

@thin – I’m happy with the proposed gun laws. There really is no reason to have a military style semi-auto rifle. I have two rifles, a semi-auto .22 for rabbit shooting which won’t be affected by the proposed ban, and a bolt action .308 for bigger game. In my mind anyone who wants one of those rifles is just a poser.

Good morning everyone

Just a quick check in as I am really busy at work.

Successful FD yesterday but really hungry this morning so I had breakfast. I’ve already had 400 calories and its only 9:20am! Oh well, at least my tummy has stopped protesting.

I hope you all have a lovely day and a successful FD for those on one. x

Good morning, similar to Quacka I am so busy at work so just a quick update

Had a good FD yesterday and my plan this week is NFD’s will be simulating a FD during the day (so just a salad with a small amount of protein at lunch and nothing else) and then a normal, healthy dinner. This is to try and get some traction/acceleration and I will let you know how it goes. I also must start exercising again as I’m not even doing my lunch time walks now. And I have this dratted 6.00pm conference call Mon-Thurs that eats into my evening and by the time I get home, play with the dog, talk to hubby it’s time for the meeting so no exercise there either.

Have a great day all!!

Sorry everyone for the duplicate post, the one I’d been trying to post several days ago eventually appeared. But at least it meant that Neil could see my earlier question to him – and thank you for your answer Neil. My OH will be interested to read it. We’ve had a lot of interesting ‘discussion’ about gun control over the years we’ve been married. I’m now a fence sitter as I believe both sides have perfectly valid arguments. When politicians come up with knee-jerk responses, OH makes comments like, ‘we’d better outlaw pressure cookers too’. Your reference to ‘posers’ made me laugh. Are you teaching your young lads to shoot? I think I forgot to say but I loved seeing your photos.

Betsy, most of us know how you feel. All I can suggest is that it might be time to re-examine your TDEE and perhaps look at some of the foods you consume on NFDs. I resisted the advice for a long time when I was losing as I thought it just didn’t apply to me. But cutting down on carbs made all the difference to kick-starting my weight loss. I wasn’t obsessive about it but I cut out rice, pasta, bread and potatoes and continued to eat other veg containing carbs. After I reached goal weight, I re-introduced these foods in tiny quantities but still avoid them wherever possible. If you’re an alcohol drinker, you might want to try cutting that down/out for a while. Alcohol is a carcinogen and contains empty calories. (Great advice from the one who had a shot of Baileys last night for no reason whatsoever!).

Quacka and Anzac, enjoy your lovely post-FD.

Cinque, are you OK?

Hi everyone

The infusion went well, but I am feeling a bit seedy and tired this morning. I need to head out for a walk as I’m afraid I’ll fall asleep on the couch if I sit too long today. The wind is quite cold out and I’ll actually need a jacket for walking – on Saturday I needed a sunhat!

I’m a bit worried about my food challenges next week – 4 lunches out!
    Sunday – junk food lunch with my great niece & nephew after the movies
    Tuesday – lunch and movie with neighbours over at the local shopping centre
    Wednesday – lunch in the city with ex-work colleagues at an Asian restaurant
    Thursday – lunch at a cafe on the beach with my best friend
    Two FDs can cope with one meal out but not usually more.
    All I can think of is to order the healthiest lowest calorie option on the menu each time and hope for the best.

Viewing 50 posts - 20,151 through 20,200 (of 28,011 total)

You must be logged in to reply.