Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,901 replies, has 831 voices, and was last updated by  thinatlast 10 hours, 29 minutes ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 19,051 through 19,100 (of 28,005 total)

• Good morning!

Such a busy weekend, I’m almost glad to be at work for a rest. Didn’t eat all that well so the scales crept up a little but two FD’s, tomorrow and Thursday, will fix it

Welcome Peanutnz and Mrs Peanutnz! You won’t regret this WOL (way of life) and this forum is such an amazing place, full of wisdom, fun and friendship. Lots of people here are on 5:2 maintenance and have lost amazing amounts of weight and are very inspirational (you know who you are šŸ™‚ )

Wow Intesha, that trip sounds totally awesome. If I ever do a cruise again I would choose a smaller boat too as the huge ones with 2-3 thousand passengers just doesn’t appeal. I’m very sorry to hear about your friend. 55 is too young; but you are correct, you don’t know what is around the corner so we must enjoy every day and try to stay positive – which you are doing very well I can see šŸ™‚

Congrats on your first FD Kanga, so glad it went well.

Happy Birthday Fasting_Me! And -13…Crikey that’s cold. Keep warm

Thin, glad your kayaking was fun but 4 hours is a long time. I think I would last about 4 minutes! There will be 10 people at our party, all very good friends most who haven’t been to our place for a year. So the inside of our house has been totally transformed by OH so they will get a big surprise. Our bedroom used to be upstairs but that is now a dining room with ceiling to floor sliding glass doors opening to a small balcony with a lovely view over a nature reserve. Our bedroom is now downstairs; he turned a waste of space area into a cosy, cave of a bedroom. It has a door out to a little courtyard that we never used but is now busily turning it into an oasis with an outdoor bath! It is totally private. Nice!

Ha ha Lindsay, of course you are allowed to confess to being hung over. We are all friends here and your party sounded like lots of fun and obviously a success if they didn’t leave until 4.00am! I enjoy red wine a bit (lot) too much too so you are definitely not on your own there. I also enjoy gin & tonic which is pretty much the only other thing I drink other than wine. So nice on a hot day.

If you are flying back soon you will really feel the difference in temperature. Almost all of Australia is heading for an awful heat-wave this week.

I used to love a milky coffee but in my 30’s became lactose intolerant so had to start having black coffee. At first I hated it but now absolutely love it and the thought of milk in it now makes me feel quite green. I have stevia in mine too Kanga

We took Maxx to the off-lead beach again yesterday and he had a ball. He is so well behaved there, we just don’t understand it (but aren’t complaining). Here he is executing a perfect sit after recalling beautifully.
    https://imgur.com/a/q59PaL9

Hope the family dinner went ok Quacka and good on you for going with a positive attitude. Good luck with your first FD today after your break. I dreaded mine last Tuesday but it turned out to be the easiest one yet. I think I was looking forward to shedding the Christmas gain so much that I actually embraced it.

How many cats do you have Cali? I giggled when you said they sound like elephants running around upstairs. Maxx is the same, he gallops around sometimes and if you are downstairs it honestly sounds like a herd of elephants.

I hope Miso wasn’t in the cat fight Cinque, but it does sound it may have been. Sorry you were woken so early by it but hope your FD went well yesterday anyway

I was really touched by your post about sprinkling your Mum’s ashes Rosy and the pod of dolphins that swam by. I’m sure our loved ones can send a final goodbye somehow, I know I experienced it with both my grandmother and mother.

LJ, your recipes are so inspiring and when I get time I am going to copy and paste them so I have them stored.

Hi to everyone else, hope you are all well and have a great week

Good Morning everyone

I have just quickly read all your posts. A quick reply as its my first day back at work and I have lots to catch up on.

Thanks for the encouragement Kanga and Anzac, re FD. I am well prepared with two bottles of mineral water and a container of cucumber and cherry tomatoes from the garden. I will have a black coffee later and then have the veggies in the afternoon when I get to that 3pm hungry time for me.

Dinner last night was fine. My positive attitude helped alot. Its over for at least another year although as we were leaving OHs sister called out “I’ll see you before I go”. Great.
    She came over unannounced on Saturday night and didn’t leave until after 10pm. We had our dinner in the oven already and after having it on lowest heat to keep warm, OH finally got jack of waiting for her to go so decided to eat. Needless to say it wasn’t very nice. She had the hide to carry on about it yesterday at the dinner about how we stuffed up the cooking of our dinner!! So I told her that no actually her brother is great cook and we were just being polite as we had unannounced visitors turn up. Cow.
    Oh, we are going away this weekend simply so we don’t have to be around in case she wants another family dinner or to turn up at our house again. Lol

Ok better go. Take care all x

Up early to go for a walk at 6am before the sun got too high. It was lovely at the river and yesterday we saw one dolphin which we haven’t for a long time.

Working backwards, Quacka your post was hilarious. Where are you going for your weekend away?

Anzac, that photo of Maxx is gorgeous. Butter wouldn’t melt in his mouth (well, hopefully). Did you see the article on ABC about vet bills? Your OH has made some fabulous changes to your home. He sounds highly skilled & talented. My OH can do anything I ask but doesn’t have design skills so that’s where I come in handy. I gave up sugar in coffee/tea very easily at age 18 back when my grandmother was diagnosed with diabetes controlled by diet. The whole family supported her by giving up added sugar. Not sure why giving up milk in coffee is so hard but I’ve tried many times.

Rosy, Deep Water Point is a favourite spot of ours (but not where we went kayaking). We have often seen dolphins there. Did you know that the cafe was closed for ages for renovations and has now re-opened as a Dome I believe? How lovely to have scattered ashes there and had the dolphins appear at that moment.

Oh dear, it might be two posts because I can’t remember what else I read on the previous page before my walk and don’t want to risk going back.

Unexpected drop ins….I don’t enjoy it when it happens. I have pretty much managed to get that across to friends and family.

OH’s brother used to do it a lot and once he brought this dreadful friend of his, despite knowing I had no time for her since she gave me an earful of negativity plus said some nasty things about my husband. Who, by the way, she barely knew. Anyway, she walked into my house and said ‘oh what a horrible, cold house’. Well. I don’t get aggravated or vocal often but the red mist came down and I asked them to leave. He’s never done it since. GOOD!

Another time friends called to say they were in the area and could they drop in and of course we said yes. But they stayed and stayed and we had already asked them to stay for dinner as we were doing a roast and there would be plenty. But they declined….but didn’t leave until about 7.00pm at which time we started the roast and of course didn’t eat until 9.00pm! They don’t cook much so probably didn’t associate the time required. Sigh.

Thin, I forgot to include a cute story from the beach trip. A lady was just about to give her dog a treat and Maxx shoved his way in between her and her dog, did a lovely sit and gazed up at her adoringly! She asked if she could give him one and of course we said yes. He then toddled off with them, his new parents, until OH whistled and he came zooming back, into a perfect sit and gazed up adoringly (as depicted in my picture above) – waiting for treat number 2!

Hello everyone. A bit late posting today as I needed to get all my errands done before it got to hot to leave the house.

Welcome Mr and Mrs Peanutz, I hope your first FD goes well. Having each other for support will help.

Lindsay, a 4am finish sounds like you had a lovely long catch up with your husband’s family. Hope the hangover clears soon – you know the drill, drink plenty of water.

Quacka, I think a weekend away sounds like a perfect idea. I’m sure you’ll have a perfect FD today.

Anzac, life will will never be boring and often amusing with Maxx in the house. Clearly he’s a food oriented dog – like all labradors.
    Good on you for expelling an unwelcome visitor – I’m not good at that, I just sit there getting annoyed and trying to keep smiling.
    That outdoor bath sounds awfully brave – I’d be cecking every possible vantage point to make sure no one could see me – and I’d still worry that I’d missed a spot.

Cinque, the semi-dried tomatoes do taste good, although I’d use even less salt next time. They are still a lot jucier than I expected though. I’ve frozen most of the yellow ones and eaten the remaining ones. I’ve kept the red ones in the fridge and plan to turn them into a pesto today with some more of the basil in the garden. I managed to take zucchinis and cherry tomatoes to my friend yesterday that has helped me manage the build up. Unfortunately the high heat this week will probably get everything growing fast again.

Kanga, I understand why today didn’t feel like a good day to fast. I find a day where I haven’t had enough sleep spurs my appetite – it doesn’t mean I can’t fast, it just makes it a lot more challenging.
    I think you’ll probably be the only regular faster on Saturdays, although a few of us regularly fast on Sundays. Sunday is my favourite choice for a FD. I think it’s because I think of my week as being from Sun-Sat and I like to get a FD done at the start of the week – it feels easy then, I have 6 more days and only one more FD to fit in.

Rosy & Thin, I’ve tried to like tea without milk but have never succeeded. Like you Thin, I gave up sugar in my cups of tea as a teenager and that was easy. I then tried to do the same with milk but it didn’t work.

The heat is making it easy to eat less as usually the only sweet thing I feel like in this weather is icecream, and I never have that I the freezer.

Have a nice day everyone.

Now back from bridge where my partner and I came 1st out of 7 pairs plus we beat the top of the opposite 7 pairs by miles with our personal best of 70%. It doesn’t sound like much of a score but it’s huge for us! Betsy will understand.

Cinque, thank you, yes I read your post while drinking my frothy coffee at 5.30am and pondered licorice tea. It doesn’t appeal I’m afraid but I do drink herbal teas throughout the FD.

Kanga, it does take a while to settle down with eating on NFDs. For years, I would grab a handful of cashews the night before a FD. And most people here know how my OH (who is no longer fasting with me) heads straight to the kitchen for a big fry up the morning after MY fast day! Don’t beat yourself up, as Minka often reminds us, you’re allowed a piece of pie five days a week if that’s what you want! In time, you’ll find you no longer want it and your portions will be more controlled as 5:2 shapes your eating behaviours without your even realising it.

Lindsay, I suppose you couldn’t really leave Glasgow or Dublin without getting a hangover! Enjoy London. What a trip you’ve had, it seems you’ve been gone forever. Thanks for keeping us up to date.

Quacka, how is your first FD in a while going? LJ, you’ve answered my question about yours.

LJ, I won’t risk looking at your photo until I’ve hit ‘submit’ but I have also been baking my vine tomatoes which are still going strong. I did them with a little olive oil, some shallots and garlic for 20 minutes. Put them over some chargrilled eggplant and topped it with ricotta cheese before putting it all back under the grill. Really flavoursome. We’ve never had a tomato plant yield such a great crop before.

Intesha, that sounds like a fun cruise and “right back at you, unhelpful brother and SIL”. Hoping they have to step up while you’re gone.

Welcome Mr and Mrs Peanut. From which part of NZ do you hail? Hope your 1st FD is a successful one.

Well that’s two posts today due to the split page. If there are now more posts on the new page, sorry I missed you today.

I’ve been watering the veggie patch and the many potted plants over the last 2 hours or so. Halfway through I left the hose running on the tomatoes and came inside to a large bowl of salad with a tin of salmon forked though and my favourite dressing of lemon infused olive oil and apple cider vinegar. It was lovely and fresh and just right for such a hot. That was until I got outside again and was assaulted by te aroma of someone’s BBQ – then I started craving lamb chops! Don’t worry, I didn’t came back inside and cook some.

Thin, your baked tomato dish sounds really nice. I have now dealt with all of my semi-dried ones with a batch of pesto that included some now in the freezer.
    Well done on the bridge win. I am actually wary of saying that as every time I do you seem to come last next time! Maybe that’s just the nature of bridge.

Hi everyone, back after a few days off – feeling tired despite adequate sleep, and not doing very well with the WOL. Still, I came across a very helpful comment in Dr M’s new book, which I think explains the things I’ve been experiencing: on Pg 143, he writes (as a question to ask yourself): Are you feeling light-headed or feeble? and goes on to explain that it can happen to people as they are adapting to burning ketones instead of sugar – “It is sometimes called keto flu” and has various symptoms, but he encourages that “like the flu, it will pass”. Okay, that means I have to tough it out when it happens, and it will get better.

Hi thinatlast, what a great bridge effort – huzzah, huzzah!!!

Melbourne city had a 32 degree day today, but up in the northern suburbs where I live, it was 41!!!! Not pleasant. Watching the Aussie Open tennis at the moment, and thanks to a Christmas present from a friend, have a ground pass to attend it on Wednesday – a real “desire of the heart”, especially while some of the greats I love to watch are still playing (Federer, Selena Williams, Nadal, etc.), plus some great new faces. Week one attendance means you can be lucky enough to see some of the greats on outside courts or the show courts. Really looking forward to it!!!

LJoyce, I’ve also been gardening lately, but not vegies, unfortunately; the possums just have a feed. I refilled my back bird baths this evening – not much water around for the poor birds – and put a big bowl out the front as well. That’s in the middle of the concrete so they have time to be alerted if my cat decides to go for them. There’s not usually a big range of birds, but more seem to be around with the need for water – white cockatoos, ravens, magpies (the boring usual), then rainbow lorikeets, blackbirds and wattlebirds, plus occasional ones I can’t identify. I enjoy watching them through my kitchen window.

Good morning, FD today. 2kg lighter than I was at the beginning of the month but still 1kg up on same time last year.

I have two trips in the next two months so enough motivation to get back to my lowest weight in 2016 which is only another 4kg doesn’t seem as daunting as when I first started this WOL some 20kg heavier.

Thin you make me laugh, my brother and SIL will never step up and that along with a few other issues have made me resolve to do as much as I can for me this year as I feel life is just passing me bye. I don’t have a social life other than my gym and my cooking hobbie is expensive and not conducive to weight loss šŸ™„šŸ™„

My life revolves around Mum and Dad and that’s just the way it is so I am going to try and do as many little breaks as possible to keep myself sane.

I understand how annoying it can be to have unwanted/unexpected drop ins but sometimes I wish someone would. I don’t like being caught out especially if I have no make – up on and in old clothes.

Quacka, families!!!! True what they say, you can’t choose your family but you can choose your friends.

Off to the hairdresser this morning and another scortcher here in Sydney not looking forward to that.

Hello Anzac, Cinque, LJoyce and all our new converts hope you all have a good day.

Good morning everyone

Congrats on the bridge win, thin. May you have many more šŸ™‚

My FD went well yesterday. I had one black coffee and two bottles of mineral water until 4pm when I then ate some of my cherry tomatoes and cucumber. The girls at work have their lunches just a few metres away from me at a spare desk so the smells from their food always makes me hungry. Not as bad as the bacon smell from the cafe next door though! So LJ I understand how you felt when you smelled that BBQ! Itā€™s like the smell of sausages cooking. I rarely like sausages when I do eat them but I still crave them when I smell them cooking. That big green shed is the worst for it!!
    I made a huge plate of cooked veggies for dinner and OH had some with a piece of meat as well. My plate of veggies was 220 calories and with the cucumber and tomatoes from earlier I was under 300 calories for the day. I felt full but then I needed something more. I had a small piece of corned beef (20g lol) that I had cooked for OHs lunches and felt a bit better but STILL wanted more. I then ate 5 corn chips and finally I felt satisfied. This brought me up to 350 calories for the day, my lightest FD ever!
    I am trying to understand why I needed something else as I was quite full from all the veggies. Whether it was psychological or what, I donā€™t know. I think next time I just have veggies for dinner I will have some Parmesan sprinkled over or a bit of feta cheese.
    Strange thing is I donā€™t feel hungry this morning. I was sure I would be ā€˜starvingā€™ when I woke up but I actually feel good. I will eat later when I am hungry though. Then tomorrow is my next FD. So happy to be back into it!
    Betsy, itā€™s interesting about the keto flu, isnā€™t it. Are you following a keto diet? When I deicided I was going to lose weight I researched keto (and paleo, shakes and various other things) but I didnā€™t think it was right for me. I hope you get through this stage quickly.

Oh look at the time. I have to get ready for work. I will check back in later and maybe quack some more šŸ˜‰

Take care x

Good morning, 8.00am on another hot day in Sydney.

FD today and not a good start. I had the beginnings of one of my very bad headaches which, if left untreated, could turn into one of my rare migraines. I can’t take the strong medication without food so I had four vitaweats. Not a disaster, I will still stick to my calorie limit, but I just haven’t fasted for very long. The drugs are kicking in now and what a relief. I honestly thought I was going to have to go home and I am running two big workshops today so that would have been very bad.

Quacka, congrats on such an awesome FD! Hope being back at work isn’t too depressing. We are busy so I’m glad about that as it makes the day go faster, especially when it is a FD.

Thin, congrats on the bridge win and I hope it is the first of many. I see it is very hot over in Perth today – as well as Melbourne AND Adelaide! Stay cool everyone

LJ, we have a lovely Greek family next door and they are often barbequing exquisitely smelling food and our mouths start watering! This is mostly on weekends so we often decide to have a Barbie ourselves that night šŸ™‚

Sorry to hear that you aren’t feeling great Bestylee. I do think it will pass, it did for me. Hang in there

Intesha, I am really enjoying reading your posts. They are so positive, despite your challenges with your parents; they help me to be more positive too!

I’m really hoping to be in the 86’s after today’s FD. Fingers crossed as then it is only a hop-skip-jump to mid 80’s and then a few blips down and…..the precious 70’s might be seen in a couple of months. YAY! I haven’t been in the 70’s since I got married 26 years ago. I’m not in any hurry as I just need to be at goal by about August so when we buy our new coats for our Europe winter holiday at the end of the year I can buy the right size.

Have a great day everyone, I will be lurking and posting lots as I always do on FD’s šŸ™‚

Good morning everyone, 9:40am
    Melbourne in a comparatively gentle heatwave, but still worth complaining about! At least the nights haven’t been too hot.

Anzac, I do hope the meds are kicking in, take it gently today.
    Your renovations sound just stunning. What a lovely home.
    Fingers crossed for the 86s!

There is a post up from Dr Mosley this morning: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/january-2019-update-from-michael/

Kanga, I hope you got a sleep in this morning! Cheers for your ‘no sugar in the house’ idea. Sweet things is the way kids start learning to cook, which is wonderful, but the brakes have to come on sometime! (Speaking from the same thing happening with my daughter. She was known as the cupcake queen).

Re drinking water on fast days, and ‘waking up the hunger dragon’. I think it is more likely that your brain is doing a common thing, which is to send hunger signals when it is actually thirsty. If you drink water and it makes you feel hungry, keep drinking water. See what happens. It is pretty hard to drink too much water.

The tomatoes look great LJoyce. I sometimes just roast them gently and take them out when they look good.

Thin, big congratulations for such a wonderful bridge result. I always feel vicariously triumphant when you do well, and it is most of the time, so yay!

I tend to do the same thing of eating more (and even that handful of nuts!) on the evening before fast days. Aren’t we silly!

And I have been thinking about the difference between complete fasting and having milk in cuppas, and Lindsay’s link and Betsy’s quote from Dr M, and equating all that with how I feel on fasty fast days, and I am sure that, inspite of my milk in cuppas, my body is doing serious work.
    It wasn’t like this when I started 5:2, it is the closer I get to the bottom of my healthy weight range (I can still lose a few kilos without being underweight). I get so irritable and skritchy and can’t concentrate in the afternoons. It is not quite how they describe ketosis, but my body must be working hard (digging down to those ancient fat deposits?) and milk in my tea doesn’t seem to interrupt it.

Betsy I hope you can get over the tiredness, it makes everything hard doesn’t it. Eep 41! But what a wonderful view you have watching the birds out of your kitchen window.
    I’m in the inner north (Darebin), so maybe one day when the weather is kinder we can meet for a cuppa somewhere between your place and mine?

Nice veggie eating Quacka. I agree, it is so fascinating what it is that makes us feel satiated.
    This is interesting (My Giles Yeo on the Naked Scientists: https://www.thenakedscientists.com/articles/questions/why-do-i-always-have-room-dessert

Time to close the house up and plan my delicious veggie serves for the day.
    best wishes to all.

Thanks Betsy, Anzac, Quacka, Cinque and LJ, we do seem to be understanding what’s going on a little better lately which has meant that we haven’t come last at bridge for a while. We’re still having fun with no plans to move across to the ‘dark side’ and I’m really enjoying the company; it’s hard to believe it’s been a year since we started lessons together.

Betsy we have a lot of the same birds. I love white cockatoos. We also have black cockatoos and a variety of honeyeaters and a willy wagtail pair that have nested in our garden for a few seasons. Hope you get your fasting pizazz back soon. Keto ‘flu has been mentioned here before but not for a very long time. Have fun at the tennis, what a lovely present. One of the bridge ladies was telling us yesterday how, when she lived in London in the sixties, they’d open the gates of Wimbledon to the general public after 5pm when the members were leaving for the princely sum of 50p (although I’ve just noticed a flaw in that story in that we didn’t have decimalisation in Britain until 1971!). Many of the tennis greats were still in play during the late afternoon and evening and she loved seeing them.

Anzac, I missed your second post yesterday. How rude of your BIL’s friend to make such comments about, and in, your home. Some people have no filter. I wonder if Maxx will find that treat-bearing lady at the beach again. Do you have to bath him every time he’s taken to the beach? Not quite as exciting but two of our lizards shed yesterday. They look shiny and glossy compared to the other two.

LJ, I got a calendar from the Humane Society and the week begins with Sunday this year – whereas theirs from last year started on Monday. It’s interesting that you like Sunday fasting for different reasons from mine. Although I haven’t worked for quite a while, I couldn’t think of the two weekend days occurring in two separate weeks – so my week starts on Mondays. It takes me ages to hand water our garden too.

Penguin, now that we’re a bit quieter here, I hope you will return with winter tales from Britain.

Intesha, I always think if people are judging me by the clothes I’m wearing, whether I have make-up correctly applied, or the car I’m driving, that says more about them than about me. My neighbours drop in all the time and I love it. We all know to say if it’s not a good time or how long before they need to leave! One in particular has the messiest house you could imagine so I stopped worrying about ours being a a bit untidy when she drops in (I’m a neat freak but OH is a very untidy person). I’m pleased you are taking charge of looking after number one this year. That’s the only way you can be an effective carer. Your weight sounds fabulous considering all that cookie making.

Quacka, aromas can be tantalising. OH announced that he’s going to try making a sourdough starter. Groan. The smell of toast or freshly baked bread may well be my undoing. I don’t want to stop my OFMs from eating how they want but I’m absolutely dreading this new addition to the food in our house especially as I assume, if successful, that it will be an ongoing thing for me to have to overcome. Wondering if I can sabotage that starter?

Anzac, sorry to hear of that bad headache. I get migraines too so I empathise. You will feel SO good when you say goodbye to the 80s! I can’t wait to hear about that. It’s just 31C today which seems cool compared to what’s coming at the weekend. 40C and 38C. Maybe we’ll finally see Bohemian Rhapsody if it’s still playing while it’s so hot. We still haven’t been since the opening night when the cinema was full and we couldn’t get in.

Cinque, thanks for reminding us to drink more water. And I’m glad you wrote all that about the milk in coffee and its probable minimal effects on us. I feel better now. I tried a few sips of black coffee (I do buy good Grinders beans which come from your neck of the woods) but it just tastes awful. I might try the technique that I used to give up sugar in coffee and tea which was reducing it a little each day until I get used to it. My A&C coffees already look like an oil slick. The A&C milk is fine when fresh from the box but, once frozen, it keeps separating from the coffee and looks pretty awful.

OK losers, keep the end goal in sight, you’re all doing so well! Have a happy day. I’ll end with a bill board sign from Indian Springs, Co that someone sent me: “To become a vegan would be a big missed steak”.

Good morning SHs

I unfortunately have medical appointments today and tomorrow, so will have to venture out into the heat. Until then I’m staying inside where it’s bearable – so far I haven’t needed the aircon this morning as it’s still ok inside.

Betsy, I’m sorry to hear you’ve not been feeling good. I hope it does improve soon.

Intesha, congratulations on the 2kg. I’m really glad you have some trips away to look forward to.

Quacka, it’s the Bunnings sausage sizzle that gets to me. I have to walk past it to get to the local shopping centre.
    I understand wanting something else when I’ve eaten my “worthy” FD dinner. For me it’s often a small slice of cheese. I’m not sure what causes it but I’d guess it is psychological – I’ve always assumed it’s my mind not my stomach that wants to keep eating.

Anzac, glad to hear that you have dealt with that pending migraine. I’m sure you will manage your calories ok for the rest of the day. Even though you now have 800 as an upper limit you have managed to stay around 600. This gap should give you the leeway to deal with situations like today.

Thin, I gave up sugar the same – reduced it from 2tsp to none by cutting a 1/4tsp at a time. I’ve tried drinking tea with less milk rather than no milk but it doesn’t hit those please receptors the way a cup made the way I like it does. I think I’ll just live with the consequences. I have been easily managing to have my first cup at 10am or later for the last few days.

Cinque, I don’t normally roast tomatoes as I find the skins unpalatable once the tomatoes are cooked and getting the skins off it too fiddly for cherry tomatoes. However I noticed that the skins on the yellow cherry tomatoes were fine when semi dried – it was only the red ones that were already falling off. This probably means I could successfully roast the yellow ones – I might try that once the weather cools down.

Time to get some lunch ready as I have to leave for an appointment at 12:30. I seem to be wanting smoothies for lunch in this hot weather. I think it the ice and frozen fruit in it – it cools me down from the inside out.

Thank you for your kind birthday wishes. ODH suggested that we go out for dinner on Tuesday [15 Jan] and that sounds nice. On the actual day, we’ll have “Florentine Sandwiches” which our son and his wife enjoyed in Florence and then perfected for home use. He gave me the recipe for the sandwiches and for the home-made fococcia on which he served it. Should be yummy. Cali, thanks for the ‘flowers’

I do so enjoy reading all your descriptions of your delightful doings. What a lively bunch you are! And all the trips you take sound great.
    Fasting today: Cheesey Bake for breakfast and Maltese Spinach-Tuna Pie for dinner. Both good.
    Stay cool, all of you. Wish I could waft you some of our super-chilled air.

FD going well….just had my salad for lunch and loads of water. Head is a bit achy again but I’m trying to ignore it. Darn it. I think it is because I lost my retainer that I wear on my teeth at night to stop the grinding for the last two nights. I convinced myself that Maxx ate it but hubby wouldn’t believe it because it is extremely hard plastic and has wires in it. It’s basically a mouthguard I guess. I searched everywhere…and was despairing because when I lost it about 15 years ago it cost $1100 to replace it so goodness knows how much now! However, thankfully, legend hubby found it on a shelf that I searched at least 5 times…..oops. Between things like this, leaving lights on, being so clumsy I do frustrate the poor thing I’m afraid. He doesn’t understand how I can be such a brainless blonde at home but hold down a challenging and complex job in IT!! To be honest I wonder myself but am just glad I’m good at ONE thing!

I read that article about the FD calories now being 800 (thanks Cinque). What does everyone think about this?

thin, we do hose Maxx after he swims in the ocean to make sure he doesn’t itchy from the salt and sand. He doesn’t like it! He also doesn’t like the heat and last night was funny. My Dad arrived as usual for our dinner together on Monday and Maxx barked at him or a few seconds then realised who it was and lay back down on the cool floor with legs out straight looking very hot and uncomfortable. We turned the air-con on and within about 10 minutes he was bouncing around with his plastic bottle, then a ball, then a different ball almost doing gymnastics! Dad was chuckling away. We can’t have the air-con on all day unfortunately as it will cost a fortune but we make sure he has the fan on him during the day.

Stay cool LJ, hope the medical appointments were all ok.

We sure could use some of the chilled air fasting_me. Send it over! Are you in Canada? I’m guessing because of the time you posted meant you were either up in the middle of the night if you are in the UK otherwise Canada. You don’t have to tell me if you don’t want to šŸ™‚ I’m just nosy šŸ™‚

Quacka I too always seem to be looking for something to eat after dinner on FD’s. I always keep a diet jelly made up in the fridge and find that helps with the craving and the sweetness.

I love the smell of BBQ’s. There is just something about the smell of meat cooking.

Anzac thank you for your kind words. I feel like I have been in a fog the past 4+ years and often feel depressed and anxious about my future. It’s only very early days but I hope I can stay positive.

I received an invitation from the cruise people who I just booked my trip with inviting me to an inspection and lunch on board the Celebrity Solstice. There is a cost of $99 but in my current frame of mind I thought why not. When I went to book it was waitlist only. Email just received to say they have added a few more tickets so guess whose going to lunch. This new attitude is expensive šŸ˜‰šŸ˜‰šŸ˜‰ I guess someone is making sure I stay postive and focused if not broke.

I have a glass of water kefir everyday I wonder if that would be classed as breaking your fast.

Checking in. Today is day 2 of my Monday/Tuesday b2b. A good day yesterday. No breakfast then ate lightly during the day. In the morning I had a couple of hours of winter digging in the veg patch. A little late, should have been done about two months ago. The routine is to dig the empty areas roughly then let the snow and frost break it down for me. In the afternoon I walked in the Forest with OH. We walk for about an hour, 3 or 4 miles, every day. Some steep hills yesterday. The afternoon is a quiet time for wild life and the only thing we saw of interest was a large Red Kite. The weather has been strange lately (where has it not?). It has been dry and the temp has been above freezing. Fasting again today, not a total water fast, probably about 500 calories. Pilates session this morning and the walk this afternoon, so unlikely to get much done in the garden.

Thin, I haven’t been away. I have scanned the posts every day. It is just that I haven’t had anything to contribute to the recent conversation.

Anzac. MM published an 800 cal book four or five years ago “The 8 week blood sugar diet”. It was interesting but that was 800 a day every day, which is less than a third of my TDEE, and I didn’t need to do that so I decided to stick with the original 5:2. It works for me. Keep telling us about Maxx – I miss my old Lab. I have become one of those irritating people who says hello to every dog he meets.

Intesha, I think the tour and lunch is a great idea – it will help you imagine and look forward to that trip. I often find the anticipation adds to the joy.

Anzac, at least one of you is good at finding things!
    I left a response to the 800cals on the new forum thread about it. I think it depends on your TDEE, whether 800 is suitable.

Penguin, a cold winter’s walk sound lovely – not much chance around here!
    I agree – 800cals every day is a tough gig. If you have a huge amount to lose or have serious health issues that require immediate weight loss, then I think it’s a good approach. For most people I think a gentler (and slower) journey is more sustainable.

FM, home made foccacia sounds lovely.
    I wish you could waft some of your chilled air over to us too. The heat is rather oppressive here at the moment. Although I’m not sure I’d want to go quite so far as your -13!

Thin, I’d suggest you could have just a small piece of the sourdough loaf, especially if it’s rye rather than white wheat. Although stopping at a small piece of bread when you normally avoid it could be challenging. I know my willpower doesn’t stretch that far when it comes to freshly baked bread.

Dinner tonight was yummy and quick – a simple tossed salad with dressing and some pan-fired haloumi. I love most cheese (except blue or goats), but I think I love haloumi just a bit more than all the rest.
    It was a nice controlled NFD today.

Hi everyone. Coming up to the end of my second FD today! Today was my first one for this week, technically. My next one will either be Thursday or Saturday. Haven’t decided yet. Most likely Saturday. The rest of the week is busy for me, and with our extreme temperatures at the moment, I need to be sure of what my body can stand before I head out on an empty stomach. Still a bit nervous with it all! For those wondering, it was 43ĀŗC in the town I was in today. Just 39Āŗ at home – “just” lol. Thankfully I wasn’t spending much time out of the car or a building!

I have a question for all of you: A friend learned today that I have started the 5:2 WOE, and was very concerned. She said a client of hers on 5:2 had been hospitalised due to not eating enough, and asked that I be very careful. She was genuinely worried for me. Could you all let me know your thoughts? And what to look out for that I should avoid or be concerned if I notice? Aside from being a little lightheaded at times and occasionally a headache (drank a LOT of water today, and didn’t have a headache), I feel okay on it. Obviously feel hungry too, but it’s not unbearable. Like Quacka says, I’ve had kids, I can handle anything. LOL. But what should I be careful of, like my friend asks?

Anzac: The older I get the more lactose intolerant I get as well! Isn’t that odd? I used to be able to have milkshakes, icecream or cereal in any amounts. Now I’d be feeling the effects of just one of those things for two days. Not worth it. I’m glad 5:2 doesn’t “allow” milk on a FD – I’m learning to enjoy coffee without milk! Black coffee tastes better with stevia than with sugar, I’ve discovered! Maybe the milk has been masking the horrible taste of sugar.

LJoyce: Why do a lot of you fast on Sundays? Isn’t that traditionally the Sunday roast and BBQs day? That would be hard for me! Saturdays are pretty predictable for me, so make more sense in my schedule. My week is usually Sun-Sat as well, but I started on a Saturday, so I figured my “fasting week” is Sat – Friday. I don’t know. It makes sense in my little head. (Shush, Quacka!)

Thinatlast: That’d be hard to resist – a big fry-up post-fast day! Ouch. I hope you enjoy every bit that you feel like eating then! Having a FD beforehand would surely make the breakfast more enjoyable? Or do I have that wrong?

Cinque: Unfortunately no sleep-in for me. It was an early start for work for my OH, who has trouble waking up, so we were woken up to alternating BEEP-BEEP-BEEP and a bugle every five minutes or so. He’s lucky he’s alive, that man. Hahahaha. What you say about drinking water on fast days makes a lot of sense! So many other days I look back and think, “I didn’t actually drink much water today, but ate non-stop”. I’m re-learning my body’s signals, which is really great.

I just wrote a lovely long post, saw it publish, and now it has disappeared again. I wonder if, in my being distracted by the OH and kids, I accidentally deleted it when I meant to edit it. Sigh. Forgive me for not writing it all out again.

In short: I’ve just completed my second FD – another 500 cal day. I’ve also learned that 40g of sliced turkey is a lot more than I thought it would be. And only about 43 calories as well. I had to triple-check that, as it seemed wrong. (I hope it’s not, or it will have thrown out my FD.)

I wanted to ask you all for some info and opinions.

A friend of mine found out that I’ve started the 5:2 WOE. She was genuinely worried and asked me to be really careful. When I asked why, she said that a client of hers had been hospitalised due to not eating enough on 5:2, and that she was worried about me eating in this way. A bit of background from her: She’s always been a dancer, and more recently a Zumba teacher. She doesn’t teach Zumba since having her two babies, but they’re still quite young.

So my question is: What should be careful to avoid? What telltale signs would tell me that things are not quite right?

Also, my fast days are typically (the whole two of them I’ve done so far LOL):

– one or two black sugarless coffee/s (morning)
    – two boiled eggs (lunch)
    – a huge salad, a piece of grain bread, 1 tsp olive or macadamia oil, a little sliced turkey (early dinner)
    – sliced turkey and occasionally a slice of bread if calories allow (for a late evening snack)

Does this sound healthy to you all? Of course I’m adding lots more water since I got the headache on my first FD. Didn’t have the headache this evening, thankfully.

What do you all think? This friend has me doubting my decision now šŸ™

Hi Kanga, I am a long way from being experienced with this wol and I bow down to the wisdom of the other ladies, but I have read a lot and from my comprehension,Fasting is very healthy, MM quotes lots of people who Fast for more than 5:2 and with much less than 500 cals. I have monthly consults with my gp and it was she who put me on to the Fast Diet in the first place. I only drink liquids on my fast days which is why I allow myself milk in coffee. My gp also said once we reach menopause ladies need to keep up their calcium intake which suits me as I hate black coffee. I am on my 3rd day of btb fasting on liquids only (against the ever patient, kind advice of ladies here as 3 days is unsustainable) because I am on a mission, to look remotely ok in my ABBA outfit at the party in 4 days time. I am still trying to bounce back from the paella party, 3 days ago. On Thursday I have a girlsā€™ lunch which may slow me down a tad. My gp assures me that fasting is perfectly healthy and much more preferable to over eating on the bad stuff.

@intesha, I just read your profile and you have had an amazing weight loss achievement ! Re getting hungry @ or after dinner, have you ever tried Metsmucil ? MM actually recommends it in his latest book, it is orange flavoured physillium powder which swells up once liquid is added. I have it every Fast day Late afternoon, early evening and I am so full ( after a liquids only fd, I canā€™t even contemplate food.

Totally agree with you re smell of barbecues, cooking meat and onions. Ambrosial ! I admire the principles of vegetarians but could never be one.
    What about the smell of cooking bacon ? Sublime !

@ANZAC , re your question about 800 calories, I personally prefer 5:2 as if you are missing a certain food, you donā€™t have to go 2 weeks without it. If you promise yourself a small amount of that food on your nfd , it gives you the willpower to fast . Usually! I find the fantasy is better than the reality. I.E I often ask myself why was I dreaming of that particular food? When I finally got to eat it, it didnā€™t taste as wonderful as I had imagined. I havenā€™t posted for a while as I havenā€™t had the courage to jump on the scales but tomorrow I will.

I am the all or nothing sort of person so I prefer not to avoid food altogether on fast days and just have a liquids only rule, It works for me but we are all different. I find a little food makes me want more.

@cinque, totally agree with your wonderful water advice. While Iā€™m on holidays, I make a huge glass of water with lemon/lime slices, sliced cucumber and mint leaves and keep topping up the ice and water all day. Whenivam hungry, I drink that and if I am Everv feeling hungry afterwards (usually late morning ) and only once a day I have a huge mug of chicken stock cube (bouillon) dissolved in boiling water and that is surprisingly filling too !

@Thin, no I didnā€™t know the Deep Water Cafe had become a Dome! I am impressed by your early morning walks which for me as a full time worker and an owl by nature , makes me feel a tad disconcerted . However I have an interesting phenomenon to share, while I am fasting and not at work, I am awake at 6.oo am at the latest, if not 5.00 am. Hub attributes it to the FD WOL. What do you think ?

Hello all the SHs. My FD today became a CD instead, as it has been horribly hot.

Cinque – it depends on where you are in Melbourne whether the heatwave temperature is mild or not. In the northern suburbs, yesterday it was 41 degrees, and today 39, while the bayside suburbs were a pleasant low thirties. By the way, according to Dr M’s book, one of the ketosis symptoms is irritability, so you may be experiencing some ketosis reaction.

Quacka, no, I’m not on the keto diet, I’m doing 5:2 with TRE (time restricted eating). Dr M says that the body goes into mild ketosis after about 12 hours of no calories, and that in that situation, some dieters may experience “keto flu” – his words, just the physical effects experienced by being in mild ketosis. It seems from what he wrote that you need to tough it through, and it improves.

With regard to that, LJoyce, thanks for the good wishes. As I just wrote, I need to tough it out. Actually, I may be better just having lots of fluid on my fast days; I’m just concerned because I should take a couple of meds, and I have trouble swallowing tablets unless I take them with food. Not sure what to do yet.

thinatlast, yes, Sunday as the first day of the week can be a bit confusing – officially it IS the first day of the week, and has been accepted as such for nearly 2000 years, but in modern times a lot of people don’t seem to realise why. The Jewish sabbath day, the last day of the week, is Saturday, and the early Christians decided to start meeting (i.e., the early church) the following day, the first day of the week, in the early morning before going to work. Over time, that day became a day when Christians didn’t work, so they had Sunday as a holy day (where the word holiday comes from) then worked 6 days straight; it distinguished them from the Jews. I’ve also found some diaries and calendars varying, with Sunday as the first day in some and as the last day of the week in others.

Well, weatherwise, at least the Aussie Open tomorrow won’t be really hot, which is a relief. Looking forward to it! Won’t even try to fast, of course, and will try to make it up the following 2 days.

Tuesday 10.30pm. Im in Adelaide for 4 days this week for work. Just skimming through posts before i go to bed as I’m so far behind. Incredibly hot back home this week, yesterday 48 deg, today 52 and predicted 47 for the next 2 days. OH said it has been unbearable and he is feeling ill from the heat. Aircondioners are barely coping.

My back is feeling better although I have aches and pains on waking which dissipate after moving around for a while. Still have healing sores and purple bruises from the Lego encounter….who would have though Lego could be so harmful !!

Kanga, I use bentonite clay as a face/body mask and I drink it (mixed with water) as it binds to free radicals in the body. As a mask it draws out toxins from the skin. As a drink it binds and flushes free radicals from the body. Free radicals are cells that split and become rogue and mutant which can become cancerous and all other sorts of nasty things.

Cinque, yes I’ve certainly come a long way since joining this forum and starting 5.2 two or so years ago. As most of you know I have a thirst for new information/knowledge and love to learn about the different health and fitness ideas out there. I take what I feel is relevant and do-able for me from each of them. There’s no one size fits all for me…lol.

Rosy, my motivation for my change of lifestyle was weight loss, health, fitness, concionce about the future of our planet and my child’s future. Life back to basics is my way of living now.

I reached my goal weight after 7 months of 5.2, eating healthy, giving up alcohol, daily high intensity workouts.
    I dropped 15kg to be at my goal weight.

In 2010 I fractured my knee and had constant swelling and discomfort. After losing 15kg all my knee issues disappeared, I felt so healthy, went from a size 14 to size 8 and felt amazing. Cellulite disappeared as well which was fantastic.

I’ve put on a few kgs since my loss and I know why. I track my weight on my fitbit and the increase started from 2 months after OH and i started going out together. OH loves going to the pub for meals and beer so unhealthy food and alcohol has certainly contributed. We started drinking red wine each night with our evening meal. I stopped HI workouts because my gym was put in storage due to house renos. All getting back on track now and the kgs are dropping off again so I have no doubt I will be back to my goal weight again very soon.

I must get to bed and sleep. For those fasting tomorrow have a good one.

Good morning all

Work avalanched yesterday and it’s all due this week so just a quick post to pop in and say ‘hi’. I read your lovely posts on the train but no time to respond but I hope everyone has a great day

Good morning everyone, Wednesday, Melbourne 8:30 am,

It is cooler outside than in here, at the moment, even with windows and doors open all night, I am getting very envious of those of you with air conditioners. But we have a cooler day forecast, and I have a good fan.

Betsy, big apologies for making it sound as though I was speaking for all Melbourne weather, I will be careful not to do that in future.

Thin, I can’t help being a bit excited about the sourdough happening in your home, even though I can see it could cause you great difficulties!
    I was disappointed in the second Hairy Bikers Baking show, but the first one had the most wonderful Norwegian sourdough bread, I can’t stop thinking about it.

LJoyce, sending you best wishes getting out and about in the dreadful heat. I hope all the appts go well.

I made the zucchini bread and butter pickles yesterday and I will try them tomorrow. I used half the sugar but with all the vinegar and salt I am hoping they will still keep well.

Fasting_me, your birthday ‘actual day’ has started since it is Wednesday here! Happy Birthday! Australian flowers for you: http://www.bloomsofbowral.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/MixedNativesBouquet.jpg

Anzac, I am so glad you found your mouthguard.
    Re your question about the 800. I am keen to read the book and see what Dr M says about 800 being a magic number, but I am glad to see the easier number. So long as it is clear that it is a maximum, and that it is fine, useful and sometimes necessary (cue LJoyce’s point about TDEE) to have less calories on fast days, all to the good. I know I’ve said this several times, but it was really good for me to start at 800 and whittle down to about 350.

I also appreciate that he did give this old forum a nod.

Intesha, Ooh! what a treat to have that special lunch. You are worth it! I think it will be well worth the money spent. Wonderful experiences are what you need to balance out the restraints of your life. You will make great decisions about how to have them without blowing your bank.

Penguin, great to have a catch up, I hope your second fast day was a good one. I mulched my garden the other day, also a couple of months late! It is very grateful.

Good point about the previous book. It was different too, I think, because it was very much for people with pre-diabetes to do that 8 weeks of 800 a day. But since it was embraced by people who wanted to lose weight, he now has a good workable compromise to start off with 800 a day, go to 5:2 when you can’t do it any longer, and make 5:2 really sustainable with the higher maximum.

Kanga, Oh No, the disappearing post! Isn’t it horrible.
    Cheers for your second fast day. And what an excellent fast day menu you have worked up.

Re your friends concern: I can’t imagine how her client could have been hospitalised from a 5:2 fast day. Surely there must have been serious underlying medical issues. It is made clear that people with medical issues should discuss 5:2 (or any diet change) with their doctor before starting.

Maybe your friend conflated 5:2 with fasting generally? A friend of mine told me I would become even more obese from doing 5:2 because fasting would put my body in starvation mode and lead to overeating in response (this was when I had been doing 5:2 for a couple of years and was already maintaining my healthy weight). I remember saying “Eating lightly twice a week will put my body in starvation mode? Really?”
    I always rather hope she sees the new research as it comes out, supporting this way of eating.

Rosy Posy, I enjoy reading your posts. you are a good planner, and good at putting plans into practice (you teacher you šŸ™‚ )

Betsy, you make me so keen to read the book. If I can go into mild ketosis with milk in my cuppas, and small snacks, then all the better.
    Enjoy the tennis!

Fast day for me, and our forecast temp is not too high, so I might manage to get some things done.

Scream !!!!! YAy!!!,YIPPEE!! Guess what? After 3 days of btb fasting, I woke up feeling fabulously different (the bloat had gone) , jumped on the scales ant was thrilled to find I have lost another kg! This takes me to a total loss of 16.5 kg in 18 and a half weeks , my bmi is 23.5 (still too high) and my weight 67.2!!! 5 kg to go!

Hi ladies. I have another question for you, aside from the one about what I need to look out for re. warning signs and concerns during this 5:2 WOE. (In case you missed it: A friend of mine asked me to be careful as a client of hers was hospitalised for not eating enough on 5:2. She asked me to be really careful, but I donā€™t know what I need to be careful of or what to watch out for. Thoughts?)

My question for today ā€“ and thank you all for being willing to answer my Qs – is this: How on earth did I lose 1 kg in 3 days? Is that possible? I weighed myself on post-fast Sunday, and then this morning (Wednesday). I always way myself twice each time to make sure the number is the same. Iā€™ve been trying to drink a lot of water (43ĀŗC here yesterday!) and not over-indulging on non FDs. Iā€™m concerned that this weight loss is too fast?? Is it even possible, without having a really bad gastro bout? LOL

Rosy Posy: Thatā€™s what I thought too. I was telling my OH that we should both try 5:2 because the science in the book seemed sound. Iā€™ve fasted once before this journey, for spiritual reasons, and I felt so much better afterwards. Iā€™ve fasted twice now for 5:2 and have felt better since I started. I canā€™t help but think there was something else this client was doing that ended up with her being hospitalised ā€“ maybe not drinking enough water or fasting too many days in a row. I have no idea. Thanks for your thoughts! These ladies here really know their stuff! And congrats on your weight loss! Wonderful! How tall are you? That non-bloat feeling is so good. I love the feeling post fast day. How on earth did you handle 3 days of fasting BTB? Yikes. I think I could manage two, but three would be pushing my luck!

Betsylee: I know what an FD is, but whatā€™s a CD? Thatā€™s a new abbreviation for me. Iā€™m learning them slowly. ļŠ Interesting you mention keto flu. I fasted yesterday, and this morning Iā€™ve woken up all sniffly and feeling blah. I was absolutely fine yesterday, so even a cold wouldnā€™t come on this suddenly.

Anzac: Work has a way of doing that sometimes. I hope reading the SH forum helped you to relax after a busy day!

Fasting_me: Happy birthday! Sorry I missed it yesterday. I hope you had a nice one!

Cinque: Yes, so frustrating. Another post disappeared into the void. And thanks ā€“ I was hoping it was a good FD menu. I really donā€™t know what Iā€™m doing unless I get feedback! Much appreciated. I have to wonder whether her client wasnā€™t taking care of herself in another way that resulted in her being hospitalised. Thanks for the encouragement. Iā€™m glad someone somewhere is getting a nice day! We have 41ĀŗC predicted here for today, and I was in a nearby town yesterday when it was 43Āŗ. So awful, especially when itā€™s supposed to be a bit cooler up here in the mountains!

Have a lovely day, everyone! For all those fasting today: YOU CAN DO IT! x

Rosy Posy, Woot!

Kanga, our weight is constantly fluctuating. Drink a glass of water and we put on a quarter kilo. We have water and food going through our system and our body holds water when we have inflammation, after exercise when muscles are repairing, during menstruation etc.

Every time you stand on the scales you need to plus or minus one or two kilograms.

That is why weighing weekly (or even monthly) will give a vetter indication of your weight than weighing daily.

Opps home help is here, must run.

Thank you for the birthday wishes, all, and for the flowers, Cinque. Lovely! We did go out for dinner and I opted for the ‘small plate’ option which was mussels in coconut milk with lime flavors as well. Very good, along with a White Bordeaux. We split a dessert, much to the amusement of a party of 6 Ladies of a Certain Age next to us. It is now19:13 hr here and I hope we ate early enough that it won’t sit in my stomach like lead tomorrow. But no regrets.

Rosy — great work!
    Kanga — weight loss not too fast. It will slow down in time. Good job so far. Some people fear that Fasting will cause people to obsess over calories and that will lead to anorexia. While it might in some people, most of us can handle it without any dangerous side effects. Carry on.
    Penguin — any time you work in the garden is time well spent.
    Anzac — I am in New Hampshire, USA. 42nd Parallel.

Question for you all: What shellfish are to be had in the Southern Hemisphere? Here [New Hampshire] we have oysters, mussels, soft-shelled clams, hard-shelled clams, then of course Northern Lobster and Snow Crab. As I ate my mussels tonight, my ODH wondered what was available to all of you.

LJ, I think I’ll just live with the consequences too. With these hot days, I’m walking earlier and sometimes foregoing my coffee until I get back. Not that it makes it very late for the first cup but I suppose it shows that change is indeed possible even for old dogs. Today’s a FD, back to normal days, and I’ve had the walk and one cup with A&C milk. It equates to 20 calories for two cups.

Cinque, OH has decided it might be a bit unsupportive to be baking bread on a regular basis and has, for now, abandoned his sourdough idea. I’m stuck at 59.7kg no matter what’s going on! This is the most stable my weight has been in my adult life.

Kanga, CD is a controlled eating day. One of the few acronyms I know. Commiserations with the lost post, it’s happened to all of us. Try copying the entire text before hitting ‘submit’ of a long post. Then if you do lose it, at least you can paste it back. It’s sometimes possible to hit the back button and find your post too. Infuriating. As far as it not being healthy to fast, I can’t agree with that. There may be some medical conditions that preclude fasting and I’m not a doctor. It has been suggested that it’s not suitable for people with a history of certain eating disorders (such as anorexia). I’d be looking more at the motivation of the person who said that to you. My neighbour’s GP told her she shouldn’t fast because she is pre-diabetic. That’s more about the doctor being unfamiliar with fasting. Two other neighbours, both doctors, practice 5:2 or a variation on the theme. If you are concerned about your health as it relates to 5:2, discuss it with your GP but I’d be inclined to get on with it and ignore the noise.

Anzac, sorry you’re too busy at work to post! Hope all is well with you. I have never thought of you as a brainless blonde. Maybe Maxx had taken the mouth guard so it wasn’t there when you looked. Then he decided it wasn’t too tasty so he put it back on the shelf just in time for Mr Anzac to find it.

Penguin, nice to have you back. I didn’t mean to imply that you’d been away geographically – just that that you hadn’t been present here. You once wrote that if there are too many posts, you just read them and don’t reply. So it was just to let you know that you hadn’t been forgotten! I, too, greet all the passing pooches.

Intesha, enjoy your special lunch. Perhaps you’ll meet a dashing sailor to sweep you off your feet.

Rosy, seismic weight loss. You will be fabulous in your ABBA costume.

Hi Betsy, Quacka, FM. I hope I haven’t forgotten anyone.

P.S. FM, your post wasn’t there when I started. That birthday dinner sounds lovely. We have all the crustaceans but I’m not sure about seeing clams on the menu. Chilli mussels are a big thing here but I’ve never seen the attraction. I find them overpriced and messy.

11:15am Wednesday, Adelaide
    Good morning SHs,

FM, I know it’s not quite Wednesday over in the US yet, but happy birthday. I hope you enjoyed the meal out you were planning for Tuesday.

Kanga, I think your lost post has finally appeared – that happens sometimes (I think we have gremlins in the system).
    I don’t see a problem with what you are eating on FDs. The only rule is that it needs to be within your calorie limit – the choice of food is up to you.
    It’s definitely possible for weight to change by a kilo in 3 days, but unlikely that it was all body fat (sorry). A lot of things will impact our weight on the scales, body fat is only a little bit of what’s happening. That’s why it can be confusing when the scales don’t reflect how well or poorly you think you’ve been eating. Things that impact what we weigh:
    – the volume of fluid and food moving through our system
    – the level of fluid we are retaining – things like hormones, hot weather and inflammation levels can affect this
    – changes in muscle mass if we start or stop exercising
    – glycogen stores – this would vary most for people who switch in and out of eating low carb
    Kanga, a CD is a controlled day – basically a NFD where you eat carefully and usually a bit below your TDEE.

Betsy, if ketosis was causing these issues then I would think skipping food on FDs might make it worse. That’s just my guess.

Cinque, I’m so sorry you have to manage the heat with just a fan, I remember those days. I think it’s only 2 more days and we get a short break of milder weather.

GDSA, I feel bad about commenting on the heat as I can guess just haw awful it’s been up your way. I know there were a few heat records broken in the mid north yesterday with some towns nearly getting to 50C.

Rosy, well done on the weight loss. A FD can have an impact on how I sleep that night, so I think it is possible that it could be affecting the time you wake up.

Quite pleased that I managed to get an hour of walking done this morning. Often during these hot days it’s too hot even at 8am, but the cloud cover this morning helped.

I have my 6 monthly review at the hospital this afternoon. This is the examination that determines whether I get to retain PBS subsidised access to the treatment drug that I’m on for RA. Thankfully my GP looked up my blood test results yesterday so I know I’ve passed those requirements. Now I just need to get through the joint exam and hope they don’t find too many inflamed joints. I feel pretty good so I’m not going into this appointment with the trepidation I often feel.

Have a good day everyone.

As usual I take so long to write that new posts pop up.

FM, we have several varieties of oysters, mussels and several varieties of crabs too. I think we have hard shell clams but not sure about soft shelled. We have lobster but we call them crayfish here. We have prawns (I think you guys call them shrimp). We have moreton bay bugs (they have a fatter tail than a prawn and a similar taste to crayfish). In our river system we have yabbies (I think some countries would call these freshwater crayfish). Because Australia goes from temperate in the south to tropical in the north we have different varieties that are native to different regions.

Thin, there only so much compromise I’m willing to make on the milk in cups of tea. I have decided to stop having the decaf chai late in the evening and am trying to have that by 9pm. As I can easily hold off until 9am for my first cuppa I’m content with a 12 hour fast from all calories.

@kanga I am 169 cm, I used to be 171 cm but have shrunk as everyone does when the joint spaces narrow with age due to cartilage compressing etc It is very hard to measure your height accurately so for the purpose of bmi I went to my local medical centre and the nurse measured me.

Iā€™m actually on my 4 th day btb today. Itā€™s easy as I am on holidays so basically can drink as much fluid as I like. This is my holiday fasting routine . Two coffees with milk on rising, then I make a massive glass full of ice and water and floating in that are slices of lemon or lime, cucumber and mint. I drink glass after glass throughout the day whenever I feel like it. By mid morning or lunch I dissolve a massel chicken stock cube in boiling water which is surprisingly delicious and sip that. More iced water followed by a huge glass of Metamucil early evening.

I am also in the right mindset as I have to fit into my challenging costume for the ABBA party on Sat. If you google Womenā€™s Costume – Abba Diva $60.50 from Party Savers and you can see what I mean.

Once again see your GP if youā€™re worried. I have a check up every month and she oks what I am doing.

I am also sick to death of the roller coaster ride of weight loss weight gain and as this wol is working, Iā€™m determined to see it through and become slim at last like Thin!

@Thin, so relieved for you that you no longer have to endure the smell of baking bread! That would be unbearable and would totally undo me. I donā€™t even like any food on fast days as I know it will open the flood gates. I would be able to resist freshly baked bread which I would slather with butter. Anything home made like pastry, biscuits, cakes etc have the same effect. I am an all or nothing person !

Hi everyone

FD for me and so far its going well. Well, it was until I read LJs post above and now I am really really hungry!! Not really, just trying to convey how much I love seafood. We live in an oyster growing area and, at this time of year, everyday I drive past a place that sells them. Sooooo tempting. I love oysters natural or cooked, prawns, mussels, bugs, and pretty much anything else that comes from the sea.

Kanga, I think the ladies above have answered your concerns about 5:2 but I wanted to add to it. Firstly, the lady who was hospitalised had to have had something else going on health wise, or as you said was fasting too many days in a row and this triggered something else. There are people on other forums here that have water fasted for extended times and actually Penguin has as well. They have come through fine although plenty lighter in weight!
    Some people say 5:2 can trigger eating disorders. I think there is probably a million things that can trigger eating disorders and I know it is something that is definitely not understood as it is such an individual thing.
    You are not losing weight too quickly. Your weight will fluctuate a lot as LJ said so just take it as it comes. Keep a track of it and check it over a period of time. If the general trend is downward then you are doing great.
    You asked what you need to be careful of or watch out for. I am being serious when I say this. Be careful how many clothes you buy as you start to lose weight. You will continue to lose weight and then they won’t fit you either!! I went a little nuts when I got to a size 12 and now some of those clothes are also big on me.
    The last thing I wanted to say is something from experience in the time I have been doing 5:2. Beware of friends, acquaintances, family, shop assistants (anyone really) who is negative to your weight loss and the method you are doing it with. I have had so many people be really negative towards me that I actually stopped telling people about it. I got upset at first but then the ladies here helped me though it. I am still wary of talking to people about it. The only people who have been really supportive of my weight loss and method are certain family members and my OH and one friend at work. Oh and of course all the lovely fasters in this forum! You are just the best!!

I would love to respond to everyone’s posts but unfortunately I have to go as I am at work.

Take care everyone and stay cool in this awful heat, or warm overseas!

Happy birthday FM. Hope you have a lovely day!

Another quick post…

LJ, I sincerely hope you are able to continue getting subsidised for your RA drugs. Please let us know how you go.

Quacka, glad your FD is going well and thanks for your thoughts about 5:2. Interesting and I agree with it all

Rosy/Thin – my biggest downfall is bread. Especially fresh bread. Especially freshly BAKED bread. I wouldn’t be able to resist if it was being cooked within 5km let alone in my house!

Penguin, sorry you are missing your lab. We still miss our first one and waited 7 years before we got Maxx as we couldn’t bring ourselves to replace him. Despite Maxx’s challenges it was a great thing to do and I recommend it. Go on…a cute little furry puppy angel who does nothing but sit and wait for you to pat him/her. HA HA HA I CRACK MYSELF UP. Anyone who has ever had a puppy Labrador will know why. They are DEVILS with sharp teeth. Fortunately once you are through the initial puppy stage they calm down (or they are supposed to) and turn into the best adult dogs you could want. I long for that! Last night I went to bed first and when OH had his back turned Maxx snuck downstairs and jumped into bed with me! He is NOT NOT allowed on the bed and he is so huge I couldn’t get him off! He thought it was a great game. OH shouldn’t have left the baby gate open!

Someone said to me the other day ‘you only ever post about your dog on FB’. It’s true! Hubby doesn’t ‘do’ social media and I don’t do much except the odd FB post. Even my FB photo is one of Maxx and not me. I’d do the same on linked-in except I don’t think I would get too many job offers. Speaking of which I must remove my digit as my contract here is up in 6 weeks and I need to start looking for the next job in case I don’t get extended. Sigh. The ups of contracting are great but obviously the biggest down is the uncertainty.

Stay cool Australia and stay warm UK/USA

Back from the gym. After yesterdayā€™s FD I am down 500g so slow and steady.

Thin I could only wish for someone to come along and sweep me off my feet šŸ˜‰šŸ˜‰

This heat is so so draining and with air con the house is like a hot box. I am so glad we got cooling for Dads room otherwise I am sure he would be in heat stress.

FD tomorrow, gym and then pack for my weekend in Oberon, hope itā€™s not too hot there. It will also be the first time Iā€™ve seen my brother since Xmas last year(2017). It is his son who is getting married and I was surprised to get the invitation as it has been years since Iā€™ve had anything to do with them. So there will be first wife and third wife, fun times.

Hope everyone is coping with the heat.

Intesha, I hope the weather is kind to you this weekend and the family dramas are kept to a minimum.

Anzac, good luck with the job hunt. Hopefully your contract will be extended – do they leave it until the last minute to tell you? I don’t envy you the uncertainty of contract work, the stress of that would always be present.

Rosy, I see what you mean about that costume – you are a very brave woman even attempting a costume that unforgiving!
    If I’m reading your posts correctly you’ve been fasting for 4 days in a row without a break. Do you usually do extended fasts, or is 5:2 your normal approach? I’ve never felt that even 2 consecutive fast days was manageable – maybe I’m just being a wimp.

Quacka, I grew up in a little town on the river Murray – I was an adult before I’d tried things like prawns or crayfish. We caught yabbies every year though. I’m not a big fan of seafood, but there’s only one I absolutely won’t ever eat again – oysters. I’ve had food poisoning twice and both times they were the culprits. They don’t get a third chance.

My hospital appointment went well today. I passed all the necessary tests to qualify for a new script for my main treatment drug. I wasn’t worried this time, but it is always a relief to know I can continue.
    It’s always a reality check to sit in that waiting room. There’s always someone in a wheelchair and it reminds of how lucky I’ve been to find a treatment that keeps most of my symptoms in remission and allows me to have a relatively normal life.

I just went over the check out what was new today on BBC recipes and found this:
    https://www.bbc.com/food/diets/intermittent_5-2_diet

They have a range of recipe links that might be useful for those of you looking for FD food ideas.

So many postings! This has become a very busy thread!
    Anzac, Quacka and Thin, there are many tempting food smells, like steaks on a neighborā€™s barbie, but freshly baked bread has to be my favorite. I remember in first or second grade, going on a tour of a large commercial bakery with my class and telling my mom when I arrived home that I was going to be a bread baker at a big bakery when I grew up. šŸ˜€ There is no way I could bake bread here without eating a sizable amount of it. Cinque and LJ, how do you manage not to scarf down the whole loaf?

Betsy, I didnā€™t know you had white Cockatoos in Melbourne. I thought they were all further north. I would love to see a Cockatoo in my garden. I would probably be fined for feeding them since I understand youā€™re not supposed to.

Thin, congrats again on your bridge victory. That must make you feel so good after all the effort youā€™ve put into learning. It must be fun since youā€™ve been playing for around a year. Regarding drinking coffee black, you already said youā€™re using a good coffee that you like but try making it just a little weaker. Not too much, just a bit more water, like a tablespoon or two. That worked for me and now I enjoy both black or with soy or nut creamer. On FDs itā€™s usually black.

FM, those ā€œFlorentine Sandwichesā€ sound interesting. Could you post a recipe? Are you getting tons of snow there? It seems like a lot of the country had snow over the weekend. Itā€™s mostly in the 40ā€™s (5 – 10) here these past days and Iā€™ve been freezing. I wear layers of Cuddl Duds and fleece.

Cinque, thank you for posting the link to Dr. Mā€™s new posts. The whole meal replacement thing seems at odds with the original program that most of us practice. LJoyce, I agree completely on the 800 calorie thing. Doing it every day would not be much fun and more importantly, would not be sustainable for me. Upping the 500 calories twice a week to 800 would probably slow weight loss if you had a low TDEE and I think it might make maintenance more difficult. I suppose being more careful on NFDs might make it doable. Iā€™m still doing at least a 1kg bounce between FD and NFD. I wonder if eating 800 calories on FDs would help me eat less the other 5 days? Iā€™m kind of afraid to try since 5:2 with 500 cal FDs has been working well for over a year. Is anyone else thinking about trying it?

Good evening everyone.
    A quick post and then off to bed for me. FD complete. I made a yummy zoodle dinner with spiced chicken, mushrooms, cherry tomatoes and home made pesto. I measured the ingredients but am unsure of the pesto calories and how much there actually was. Also I am not exactly sure of the portions of the whole dinner. So I overestimated the calories (by a lot) and still came in just under 600 cals for the day. It was really hot here today again and OH was having a beer and I really wanted one but I didnā€™t! Instead I had a plain mineral water with a small passion fruit squeezed into it.

Cali, I just read your post. Iā€™m interested in the 800 cal fast but would probably only consider it when I reach the maintenance stage. I think the other time I would consider it is when I am trying to do a 500 cal fast and it just seems so hard and I want to give up. Knowing I can go to 800 cal for that day would make the FD successful still rather than a complete failure.

Well off I go to bed. Iā€™m planning a light eating day tomorrow as it is going to be even hotter than today.
    Good night all šŸ™‚

Hi guys, have been working hard in the garden while it is still cool enough in Perth. The yuccas have scratched my arms to shreds !
    @lj so happy you had a positive hospital visit.
    Re doing 4 fast days btb, it has been easy on holidays. MM says in his new book that the latest research shows that rapid weight loss is motivating and I can attest to that. Iā€™m sick of hiding behind layers of clothes. I had morning appts and hub mentioned unsolicited how slinky I was getting which is even more motivation. My mind is switched on and I say to myself, if not now (weight loss), when? My gp is the one who suggested fasting to cure my ailments and it is ! She supports everything I choose to do re diet. I have a girls ā€˜ lunch tomorrow so wonā€™t be doing 5 days of fasting btb.
    Re seafood, Western Australia is a massive state, bigger than Texas and Alaska combined , so we have a huge range of seafood available. One of my favourites is scallops which are found from Broome in the tropical north west to Esperance in the temperate south east.
    When hub and I were in the US, we became mad about clam chowder in a sour dough bread bowl. We donā€™t have clams as such but scallops are similar, so I recreated clam chowder Aussie style. I asked the local baker to make me sour dough rolls double the normal size. Then I scooped out the middle , keeping the top to perch on top,sprayed it with olive oil, crisped it up in the oven before serving. I then googled the clam chowder recipe which I made without potato and used prawns and scallops, lots of chopped chives and freshly ground black pepper. The result ? A totally delectable, special occasion, signature dish which is absolutely delicious ! Thank you USA šŸ‡ŗšŸ‡ø!

Rosy, we usually buy canned whole baby clams for clam chowder. Fresh ones in the shell are only available certain times of the year although we can get them frozen, probably imported, often. Manhattan Clam Chowder is my favorites. I also make linguini & clams, one of OHā€™s favorites, and itā€™s so easy. Itā€™s just linguini, sautĆ©ed garlic (I add sautĆ© onions too) and a good olive oil and some chopped parsley for garnish. Some recipes add butter or anchovies or basil. You can find lots of variations on the web.

Good morning all (good afternoon Cali and Fasting_me over there in the USA and good evening Penguin)

Still crazy busy at work so a quick post. Scales are being stubborn, I guess because I over-ate on the weekend – but I didn’t think it was that bad plus I had a good FD on Tuesday. Gah! I swear I only have to think about food and I put weight on. Plan was a controlled weekend and week to get prepared for our party on Saturday. No point saying I wonā€™t overindulge because I will and 5:2 is supposed to absorb things like this. But I need to do my bit better!

FD today and it will be successful. Tomorrow is Sydney’s hottest day for this dreadful heatwave and I will be working at home as well as madly cleaning so hopefully the extra activity will help

Cali/Rosy – my hubby adores seafood and ate his body weight in seafood chowder when we went to San Fran in 2017. We have tried to replicate it here but it is never the same he tells me. I will tell him to try your prawns and scallops with chives and pepper Rosy. Thanks

Quacka, congrats on the fab FD and your dinner sounded really delicious. I need to find some time to research different meals for my FDā€™s because I am starting to get tired of the same thing all the time. After this weekend our social events have finished for ages so I will have more time. Iā€™ve copied your link LJ (thanks!) and will check it out soon

So glad your appointment went well LJ. Iā€™m assuming RA is rheumatoid arthritis? My mum suffered terribly from it too and it was awful to see how much pain it caused. I truly hope you are not in so much pain ļŒ and glad you are getting the medication you need to help.

I agree that I will not consider 800 cals on a FD until Iā€™m in maintenance Quacka. Iā€™m still having 600-650 but as I lose weight this will come down to 500 until I get to my goal. That is WHEN not IF note!

Have a great time in Oberon for the wedding Intesha. Did you mean your nephew is getting married for the third time when you said there will be first wife and third wife?

Hi everyone else, take care..

Very warm, grey and humid here. Thursday, 8:40am. Melbourne. I think I am starting to get used to it.
    Very grateful not to be in the hottest parts of the country.

Minka, thinking of you and hoping you and your clients are coping ok.
    Gday, thinking of you in the heat. An article yesterday said stone fruit was burning from the inside https://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2019-01-16/heatwave-burns-stonefruit-from-inside-out/10717496

Lovely to have my morning after fast day. Yesterday was heaps cooler here and I had a lovely afternoon opshopping, chief beneficiary being little Miss 4 who is growing so tall she needs a size 5 wardrobe. Happy to contribute! Quite a fasty fast day. Feeling good.

Fasting_me, more best wishes as your birthday draws to an end. Here is my contribution about Australian shellfish: http://tasteaustralia.biz/bushfood/native-meats-seafood/shellfish/

Thin, your OH is a gem. And that is a stable weight to enjoy. Happy MAFD (Morning After Fast Day. New acronym to keep everyone on their toes! šŸ˜‰ )

LJoyce, so glad your assessment is successfully done and dusted.
    A great response about fluctuating weight. And a good find: that link to 5:2 recipes.

Rosy Posy, you are the btb queen, and the only indicator for if we should do them or not is how we feel. They clearly suit you well. Mostly they don’t suit me, but once I did just two days btb and it felt wonderful. (I’m waiting for the feeling to come around again!)

Quacka, lovely response to Kanga’s questions.

Anzac, fingers crossed re your contract. Good luck this hot day. And just keep on keeping on with 5:2. You are heading in the right direction, just keep plodding on.

Intesha, sending best wishes for a great weekend. I do hope the weather is cooler and the family behaves itself.

Cali, it is weird how they use the meal replacements in all the research. I guess because they can count the calories more exactly. But it does put it outside how most people seem to practice 5:2.
    My aim is to have 800 calorie fast days, but it is a sad indictment of my eating habits that I would start putting weight on, at the moment, if I didn’t keep fast days fasty. However, I am on a good run at the moment, so maybe…

Kanga, one of your lost posts came through last night, back in the place it should have been all along. It was nice to read.

Best wishes fasters.

Viewing 50 posts - 19,051 through 19,100 (of 28,005 total)

You must be logged in to reply.