Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,901 replies, has 831 voices, and was last updated by  thinatlast 9 hours, 44 minutes ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 18,501 through 18,550 (of 28,005 total)

• CalifD, such great news about your eye improvement. Except that now you can not only read without them, but also spot the cobwebs! Thanks for your nice comments also. It’s a great feeling to have another FD under your belt.

Successful FD today, hurrah! Now let’s see if there’s any difference on the scales tomorrow morning.

Cinque – yes, wasn’t the rain incredible, and then it poured down again today. Amazing levels of rainfall for December. Hope it won’t mean too much greenery growth and bushfires in March. You asked about my study – a doctorate degree which I’m doing part-time, so there are 3 more years to go.

LJoyce, yes, as kids we called them spiders, and I’d forgotten, it did used to just be cold, not frozen soft drink. I think the ones I bought are called McSpiders because of being from McDonalds. That’s about all I ever buy from McDonald’s. I saw a DVD several years ago called “Supersize Me” about someone who for an experiment only ate food from McDonald’s for 4? 6? weeks. His weight skyrocketed and his blood chemistry went haywire. Ever since then, I have largely avoided all forms of fast food; it put me right off them.

Thinatlast – re leaving food on your plate, we should all live in China, as I did for several years. There, it is polite to leave some food on your plate. Otherwise the host/hostess thinks they’ve not given you enough to eat and they’ll cook you some more.

Which brings me to an old funny (true) story – an American guy I knew in China and his 2 sons once had dinner at a Chinese lady’s place. They politely ate everything they were given, according to polite Western custom. She then got up and cooked a whole lot more food, which they (politely, even though they were full!) struggled through and finished. She then got up again, and as she went to the kitchen exclaimed “how much do you all eat?!” – 🙂 just a difference in custom.

Hi everyone

Funny story Betsy. Sounds like something my family would do too even though we are from a Greek background not Chinese. Lol

It’s a beautiful morning after all the rain yesterday. It is still cloudy though and more rain and thunderstorms are forecast later today. I have to clean these windows! I think it will be getting done in the rain, like it or not.

Weight this morning is 67.2kg although that was before my cup of tea. Maybe it’s gone down again now hahahaha

What made me smile yesterday was the things that are getting done around the house for Christmas and OHs enthusiasm to do them. I must clean these windows (I know I already said that but I am just reaffirming it in my mind lol)

Just a quick post from me as I have to go and get the day started properly (windows) and I have spent a long time on my post in the SSC. Hope everyone has an awesome day x

Good morning all from sunny (finally) Adelaide – Saturday 9am.

Holiday update. Well I survived taking MissD to the rap concert on Thursday night. Honesty I can’t understand how it can be called music but MissD had a wonderful time, we had a front row spot and MissD met and had a photo taken with the rapper (so did I….lol) I paid extra for VIP tickets. I have to admit I was probably the oldest person there. After one and a half hours listening to the distorted, ear piercing music of the DJ (Oh was that called music ?) and another one and a half hours of awful rap music (again…music….Really ?) I was so happy to get out of there believe me.

Yesterday was spent shopping. Central Market in the morning and Rundle Mall in the afternoon. I love the markets so much and bought lots if wonderful goodies to cook with for our stay. MissD loves shopping and I managed to restrain her from buying too much junk. We both love browsing through book shops and found lots of wonderful bargains. Apart from books all I bought for myself was some socks….lol.

Over the next 2 days we will go to the River Torrens and take a paddleboat ride and go on the Popeye boat, go to Bonython Park playground, St Peter’s Cathederal tour (amazing architecture) and maybe the cinema.

Time to cook some of this wonderful produce for brekky. MissD is sleeping in….has been a busy few days as well as 2 late nights. Happy Saturday everyone.

Good morning, it is a grey and misty moisty morning (but no sign of an old man, clothed all in leather),

Anzac, I am so glad your ankle is healing well.

LJoyce, that is one impressive niece.

Thin, congratulations to your DD on that HD! I’m feeling proud of her too, through association.

Betsylee, congrats on another FD under your belt. And wow, that is impressive study. Research based?

Isn’t it fascinating about the whole ‘leaving food on the plate’ thing. From being rude to leave any of that precious food that someone has taken time to cook, to indicating that they didn’t give you enough the first time.
    I remember being fascinated the first time I saw a family put the food in the middle of the table (I was a teenager by then), and the family helped themselves. Revolutionary, except that serving is more of a recent way.

I remember when ‘Supersize Me’ came out, my daughter saw it at school and the whole class vowed not to eat Maccas again. Didn’t last long though.

Happy Birthday Mr L for yesterday, I hope you are having a great time!

Cali, congrats on a good FD and no reading glasses!

Gday, much sympathy on that rap concert, but didn’t you make your DD happy! And the rest of the holiday activities sound much more enjoyable.

Day before Fast day for me. I was a bit tempted to make today my fast day, but I haven’t got the brain energy to make the logistical changes. I’ll concentrate preparing for a nice one tomorrow.

Cheers to everyone. Look after yourself. Here’s something that made me smile from when I visited my friend on Wednesday. After having a plant in her garden for ten years, an aloe style plant, it had this extraordinary flower. https://imgur.com/a/JPsRlVD

bye now.

Cinque, thank you. That plant is extraordinary! I was also contemplating moving my FD to today to counter yesterday’s event. But, like you, had nothing planned so it was just a fleeting idea. In any event, I wasn’t planning on eating again until I got back under my trigger weight of 60kgs. Fortunately, my walk has since sorted that out so, by a whisker, I am allowed to eat sensibly today. Overindulgences explained on the SSC.

Betsy, what strange & differing customs we all have around the world. Was it Lindsay recently explaining how her Chinese friends order more than they can eat at a restaurant in case anyone should think they couldn’t afford to eat out? I can’t handle that kind of waste. I remember that supersize me documentary. Horrid. Good job with the successful FD.

GDSA, that sounds positively awful! What a tolerant mother you are! Hoping the rest of the trip will be more peaceful and that Miss D didn’t buy the rapper’s CD for the drive home.

Quacka, we had a few miserable drops of rain overnight. But it’s a lot cooler today at 30C. No point cleaning the windows, surely?! That would be like Penguin washing his car.

CalifD, I’m thinking of bringing the Xmas tree down from the attic today. What do you think? Too early?

Hi all

Just a quick check-in to say hello but I am having a mad day cooking and helping OH with some reno tasks that I don’t have time for a proper read or reply. Have had a few treats yesterday and today but haven’t overdone it. Just finished cooking a bit batch of lean mince and veges for my FD’s next week and we are having a barbie tonight so have spatchock marinating in brandy, orange juice and pepper. OH has some ribs in his fiery marinade but I don’t eat them. We also have a small piece of fillet steak each and a big salad. Yum, can’t wait! Oh oooked steak sammies for lunch and I had half a one and he happily ate my other half.

Maxx is in disgrace, yet again, but that will have to wait for a later update. My stovetop is calling!

3:30pm Saturday, Adelaide

I’ve had mixed success with the food challenges over the last 2 days. Yesterday I did well until I was baking biscuits in the evening – I broke several and you know what I’m like on the issue of wasting food. The irony was they were chocolate shortbread decorated with smarties (for the kids party today) – I don’t even like chocolate shortbread! It turned a successful day into a frustrating one at the final hurdle. Today was my great nephew’s birthday party. I had assumed there would be healthy food but there wasn’t. I had a hot dog, a small slice of pizza and a party pasty for lunch! The worst of it is that I was still really hungry when I came home so I had 2 boiled eggs with rye toast. The only positive thing I did was avoid any of the sweet things on offer.

GDSA, I’m glad that, apart from the rap concert, you have been having a good time. I think the weather for the next few days may be kind to you.

Anzac, good planning, getting next week’s FD meals prepared ahead of time. I think the planning ahead really helps for successful FDs.
    I will wait patiently for news of Maxx’s latest misdemeanor.

Betsy, interesting how the customs of polite eating differ.

Cinque, that is a really unusual plant. I had trouble even working out which parts were leaves and which petals.

Quacka, hope you get the windows clean without any ladder mishaps. I’m doing a good job of ignoring mine!

Cali, I see Thin is still trying to get you to use your improved eyesight for cleaning. Don’t listen to her, I say go read a book – much more enjoyable.

Thin, it’s definitely time to put up that tree, christmas will be over soon. Does your daughter still get to put Hark on the top?

What made me smile yesterday. I walked around the shopping centre and did a bit more christmas shopping. It was busy and there were quite a few queues. The longest queue by a very long way was kids, all lined up for their turn to sit on Santa’s knee – and not a single seemed annoyed at having to wait.
    And I’m too impatient to wait for tomorrow to tell you what made me smile today. I got to hold and stoke a sugar glider. My nephew’s wife has two (both males) and one was woken from its day time slumber by the kids at the party. I got to hold him in his pouch and stroke his head and back in an attempt to lull him back to sleep. For Cali and Penguin who may not know what a sugar glider is: https://www.petmd.com/exotic/care/all-about-sugar-gliders They are one of our tiniest native marsupial possums. They are very tiny (100-150grams), seriously cute and have the softest fur you’ve ever touched. They are also very friendly and this one loves being stroked.

What made me smile today was a photo of my great niece meeting Santa for the first time. She is 5 months old and I asked my niece whether she laughed or cried. She said ‘she gave him a stern look’. Too cute

We had a huge storm last night and another one is just rolling in now. The weather radar looks very scary and I hope we don’t lose power

Gday, you are a saint for sitting through that concert. What a great Mum you are 🙂

LJ please don’t worry about the party food, any damage will be minimal and gone in a day.

I must start drinking tea Quacka, if it might have the same impact on me as it does on you! Ha ha

I read your party report on the SSC Thin and it sounds like a lot of fun. Congrats on already getting back under your trigger weight.

Cinque, what an interesting plant

Congrats on the successful FD BetsyLee. You have taken to this WOE so well

We took Maxx for his walk this morning and he was being such a good boy, coming running to us every time we called him when he was off leash at the dog park. But then his head whipped round and sure enough there was Bear the chocolate Labrador being walked up on the footpath, right next to the road of course, and he took off like a rocket – up the stairs and onto the footpath – completely ignoring the whistle. GAH. He could so easily get hit by a car. OH did a remarkable rugby tackle trying to catch him but missed and ended up face-first in the mud. So we now have to think whether we can trust him off leash until he grows up. Bear’s Mum grabbed him thankfully and decided to bring Bear down for a rumble but OH and I were seriously shaken.

Well, he makes our lives very interesting and we just love him so much we can’t help worrying. He will HOPEFULLY improve with age. He is only 13 months old after all.

Must go prepare our salad for dinner. Have a lovely rest of Saturday all, chat tomorrow

LJoyce, that sugar glider is seriously cute! How nice that you got to hold one. I’ve heard of them before but didn’t realize they were so small or so social. Do you ever see them in the wild there? I guess, given their size and coloring it might be hard to spot them. Thin, is that an animal that DD has ever treated?

LJ, I found a recipe for your zucchini’s. Like you, I rarely follow recipes exactly. I used 5 eggs for a 9 x13 inch casserole and used fresh spinach, lots and lots of it. It turned out well. A NFD meal, but definitely several servings of vegetables. I didn’t use any oil and added a bunch of mushrooms that needed to get used up. It turned out really well.
    https://www.justapinch.com/recipes/side/vegetable/spinach-and-zucchini-vegetable-bake.html
    Thin, get that tree down from the attic! Christmas will be over and you’ll be required to leave it up until Valentines Day and hang hearts on it! (Do as I say, not as I do – ours are still half decorated.)

Anzac, scary story about Maxx charging off toward the roadway. I would be afraid to leave him off-leash after that. I can imagine OH wasn’t too pleased with him after ending up in the mud, especially after all that rain you’ve had recently. Does it normally rain so much in the summer? I thought it was dry like here. But lately I keep reading about big rains all over. I think because of all the links here, and occasionally looking up names of towns in Aus, Google thinks I live there part time. 😁 A week or so ago I did a search for a new restaurant’s site that recently opened in Calif. It took me to a yelp review of a restaurant with the same name in Perth. I didn’t realize until I saw the phone number that it might be a bit of a drive (and flight). Google also throws in Aussie sites from time to time when I do a search. Amazing how much info those search engines collect.

Cinque, that aloe flower is beautiful! There were lots of aloe plants around when we lived in the Bay Area but I never saw one in bloom. We had a barrel type cactus in a pot where we used to live, that bloomed every couple of years. It had one big white flower that didn’t even look like it belonged on a cactus and it was extremely fragrant, similar to a gardenia. It was at least 15 meters from our back patio doors but I could smell it as soon as I opened them.

Before I forget, this is a link for a cool site with a map for times to view the space station. It can be seen with the naked eye if you know when and where to look. I haven’t braved the cold night or early morning air to venture out in my bunny slippers to see it yet, but a friend of mine did and said it was pretty easy to see.
    https://spotthestation.nasa.gov

One thing that made me smile yesterday was unpacking a Christmas decoration that my aunt, who passed away this summer, sent a few years ago. It is two dogs on a pillow, one with a Santa hat, that move side to side and sing, “I Got You Babe” in alternating voices when you push a button. It’s one of those silly things, funny because of the song and the male and female voices. My aunt told me she saw it in a store and it made her laugh. So she bought 4 or 5 of them for family members and before posting ours, lined them all up on a table and started them. She and my uncle laughed their heads off. She was so anxious for it to arrive here in the mail. It made me smile to put batteries in it and start the dogs singing. It reminded me what a kick she got out of them and hearing her laugh when I called to thank her with it playing in the background.

Anzac, I’m sure Maxx will be perfectly behaved when he’s 13 year rather than 13 month! Although it hopefully won’t take long. I’m not sure I’d feel safe with him off the lead either. Why is that every time to take Maxx to the park one of you ends up muddy?

Cali, I’ve seen lots of possums in the wild, but not sugar gliders. It has me wondering whether I might like a pair of sugar gliders instead of a cat. The only thing is that they are nocturnal, so they come out to play when I head off to bed. That’s the only drawback that I can see to them as a pet. Thankfully I live in a state where it’s legal to keep them as pets (although you need a license for breeding pairs).

I’ve just finished dinner, which was home grown veg and some chilli con carne. Filling and mostly vegetables. It feels good to end a day that started with an unhealthy lunch with a healthy dinner. That’s something that I have a great deal of difficulty doing. I’ve had a long standing attitude that once a day has been ruined by a bad food decision it’s a write-off and I might as well keep going with more bad choices. I really hope I can break that pattern as it’s one that still persists.

Hope everyone had a good day. I will be doing a Sunday FD (my favourite day for fasting).
    At this stage I’m planning to pull some veg-lentil soup out of the freezer for dinner, although it might depend how many zucchinis have grown overnight and might need to be used in an omelette. I gave away a pile of podded peas, zucchini and cherry tomatoes to neighbours this afternoon. Then I cooked up a pile of veg for myself and yet I still feel a bit swamped with produce. The amount of meals I’m eating out over the next few days won’t help either.

CalifD, I’m wondering which restaurant that was in Perth and whether it had good reviews! OH enjoys watching the antics of the Russians repairing things at the space station – amazing, isn’t it?

LJ, I didn’t know that about you – the ‘keep on ruining an already stuffed up day’ rule. I tend to feel instant guilt and then try and salvage it. Sugar gliders are so sweet. That would definitely get my vote over a cat. Or even a lab, maybe! No, DD has never mentioned treating one, probably because we aren’t allowed to keep them as pets in WA. They are popular pets in the US though.

OK, you two, I got the tree down from the attic. Yes, DD still puts Hark on top. OH put the lighted reindeer with its moving head on the roof. I like hearing children walking down the street, notice it and then, a few seconds later exclaim excitedly to their parents that its head moves (but not enough to put it up early!).

Anzac, being below my trigger weight isn’t much to sing about – it’s still 900gm above yesterday’s weight. Oh well, joining Cinque and LJ in our traditional Sunday FD – comforting, that! I see the wx report for next Saturday is 39C. This does not bode well for my turn to host Christmas dinner. Speaking of dinner, I must get on with it.

Thin, I think the ‘keep on ruining an already stuffed up day’ rule fits into a whole list of other patterns that I’ve had forever that support each other in an unhelpful way:
    – It’s part of my history of binge eating.
    – It also fits in my long standing tendency to be harsh on myself for less than perfect behaviour.
    – It also part of being an all or nothing person – either overindulgence or complete restraint, it’s the “normal” space in the middle that I have trouble occupying.

Cali, thank you for that recipe link. I have not only copied the recipe, I also went foraging through the website for more zucchini ideas, there was a nice sounding zucchini pancakes that I might have a go at too. It contains instant potato which I’m hoping I can replace with real potato.

LJ, “it’s the “normal” space in the middle that I have trouble occupying” reminds me of myself. And must be true for many of us – or we wouldn’t be here.

I got into trouble at dinner for suggesting that a sugar glider would make a good pet. Stick with the cat idea. DD came home in tears as it was her final day working as an ‘animal attendant’ after 7 years. Her work mates bought her the latest technology stethoscope and one of those massive goodbye cards with comments that made me cry. They’d threatened to bake her one of these cakes which made me smile earlier in the week. Intesha, close your eyes.
    https://imgur.com/oEyOICQ
    https://imgur.com/8Xy7yrJ

Good morning,

I did some research on the amazing plant and found it is a kind of bromeliad called a puya, that grows in the Andes (and in Darraweit Guim).
    Cali your scented cactus sounds so beautiful.

Anzac, yummy cooking. It is my turn today, I am making tamale pie.
    Oh Maxx.

LJoyce, sympathy and congratulations too, another blip behind you.

I lived in Gippsland near Mt Baw Baw in the bush (years ago ofcourse) and was walking through a bush track just after dark when I heard an animal high in the trees, and was just able to make out a sugar glider take off and glide down over the path, then I could hear it run up the tree it had landed on, and then it would glide down again. Very special.

Thin, although sad, what a special threshold for DD. Glad she didn’t get one of those cakes 😀 😀

Well, I’ve got a busy day. It is still rain and thunderstorms here, but not as mad as Friday and the temperature is kind (much kinder than your way Thin!).

I’m expecting I will be so busy today my fast day will go at speed. Hope your day is a good one.

Cinque, LJ, just recently I heard an interview on the radio with mammal ecologist, Ross Goldingay, who’d convinced the NSW govt. to install poles on the sides of major roads enabling sugar gliders to cross with success. I just looked up his work: https://www.news.com.au/technology/environment/conservation/proof-glider-poles-are-the-solution-to-australias-highway-crisis/news-story/82e201a2407492b144ce5392a8a79fcc

Enjoy your busy FD Cinque. I’m having a cruisey one but I do need a good, brisk walk with some HIIT this morning.

1:30pm Sunday, Adelaide

Hi SHs, hope you are having a lovely weekend and are not getting too stressed about christmas.

I weighed myself this morning for the SS challenge and then shifted the position of the scale slightly and double checked – 2 different results. So I tried a few other spots on the bathroom floor – every single time a different result across a 3 kg range! I put a new battery in – same thing. I suspect the scales need to be on a level surface and bathroom floors are deliberately sloped (very slightly) so that water flows toward the floor drains. I think I’m going to have to use the wooden floor in the hallway as that is level and I get a consistent result.
    The result of all that weighing was a week with no change to my weight. Given all the food events I’m ok with that.

Thin, isn’t that such an easy solution – providing poles. It is amazing though that such a tiny creature can glide across a multi-lane highway.

Cinque, enjoy your busy FD. I had to look up tamale as I couldn’t remember what they were.

As most of our weather seems to head from west to east, those of you in Victoria and possibly NSW should get some nice weather soon. The rainy days are just about finished here, then a week of fine weather is forecast. Next weekend here is low 20s – that should reach the eastern states by Christmas day I think. I’m a bit worried about the weather heading east from Perth though – I don’t want their weekend of highs 30s here on Christmas day! Thin can you hang onto that a bit longer please?

I have house guests arriving tomorrow so I had better get back to the cleaning.

Good afternoon all, it’s 32 degrees and still very humid in Sydney. Poor Maxx is flat out on the tiles in the laundry

Cali – Lately we seem to have either floods or droughts in Sydney. It’s been mostly drought over the last 18-24 months but then we get periods where it just rains and rains. Do you know the poem by ‘My Country’ by Dorothea Mackeller? Part of it goes

I love a sunburnt country
    A land of sweeping plains
    Of ragged mountain ranges
    Of droughts and flooding rains
    I love her far horizon
    I love her jewel-sea
    Her beauty and her terror
    This wide brown land for me

Sums it up nicely!

Hope your scales start behaving LJ and good luck with your cleaning. It’s a chore but so nice when it is done

Hope your FD’s are going well Thin and Cinque, not that I have any doubt they are.

Weekends are so busy and I don’t get time to have a good read and lots of replies to you all but tomorrow will be back in the office so will have lots more time. I know that sounds weird but I get in really early so I can start the work day leisurely

Take care everyone

Yikes, I thought my sister and brother in law were here Tuesday night, turns out it’s tomorrow. That means 14 people here for dinner tomorrow night, and I’m in the city for lunch and short on time tomorrow!!!!
    I should be cooking cleaning right now, I don’t have time for posting. You can call this avoidance tactics to take my mind off the panic!

Hi all, hope you are having a nice weekend.

FD for me today. I find that by doing 2 or 3 FDS it keeps my weight stable so I am not stressing about the uncontrolled eating I seem to be doing lately which I know is caused by what is happening around me. Time enough to get my mind back into a good place once the silly season is over.

Thin I don’t know how to screenshot. You must be one proud parent. Your DD has done so well and been so focused on what she wants to achieve. Not my style of cakes I have to agree.

We had the mother of all storms yesterday afternoon and our power was out from 6.30pm until 7.30am. Luckily I have sensor lights on the floors where Dad travels otherwise it would have been another stressful time.

This morning I had to clear up the damage, the garage was flooded and it looked like someone had gone through with shears and cut the bushes to pieces.

Finished my Xmas cake today but the humidity plays havoc with the fondant and my snowmen kept losing their arms so very much a patch job. The snowmen where a last minute decision as I thought it would be nice for the grandchildren and I had to do two so there were no arguments.

Will check back tomorrow after my weigh in. Shame I like my own cooking, made mince pies, chocolate nut and seed slice and some seed crackers so I tell myself it is all healthy🙄🙄

My Xmas cake

https://imgur.com/a/leGuvxc

Lovely cake Intesha! Gosh, you are a hard self-critic though. I love that blue colour that seems to be one of your decorating trademarks. It makes everything look very classy. Your cooking sounds tasty too. So there are four of us fasting today! Fantastic!

To screen shot (on a mac anyway), you just click the ‘Command’, ‘Shift’ and ‘4’T keys simultaneously and then extend the box it produces around the item and let go. The screen shot appears in Finder on your desktop.

Those light sensors for your Dad sound a good idea – are they like on an aeroplane? Thanks for your nice comments, yes we are so proud of DD and I know I have gone on about her here just a little too much lately. It’s nearly over though so thank you all for bearing with me and I promise to get a life of my own in 2019 …. not that any of you have so far been very helpful with my request for empty nest tips.

LJ, like you, I got the day wrong of a major event this week. I thought DD’s graduation (here I go again) was on Saturday but I just realised that it’s Friday. At least I have my outfit as you all know (but she doesn’t!). It makes no difference to my FDs, etc or my hair appt. on Thursday. But I’m reminded that it’s a certificate ceremony in the morning followed by a catered lunch and then the dinner/dance in the evening – a lot of excess food and drink all on the same day. I really need some serious restraint this week. I had also forgotten about another food thing on Tuesday night – again, nothing to do with Christmas, just catching up with friends for sundowners. Fortunately, they are both 5:2 converts so they ‘get it’.

Annoying scales LJ but, really, you can’t expect much more than to stay the same weight at this time of year – unless you’re a Penguin.

Anzac, I will look forward to your post from work tomorrow! When is your last day before the holiday break? So, finally, we know how to calm Maxx down. Move to Darwin.

Cinque, I missed the word ‘tamale’ in your post. I know tamales, of course, from living on the Mexican border, but how do you make a tamale pie? Have you heard of that CalifD, Betsy or Minka?

Thin, it’s a good thing you found your dress a few weeks ago – one less ting to worry about this week. I have no doubt you’ll manage the food challenges.

Intesha, they are very cute snowmen and I’m sure the grandkids will appreciate them (even if an arm goes missing)! I agree with Thin, I love the blue.

Anzac, thakyou for the reminder that the changeable and dramatic weather is normal for our patch of the world.

It’s been a flurry of activity here since I realised my mixup about the days. I’ve raided the deli counter of the local Foodland supermarket and now have fridge full of cured meats, cheeses, veg, bread, fruit etc to make up cold savoury platters and a fruit platter for tomorrow night. I’ve bought one premade dip and will make tsadziki and hummus tomorrow to serve with raw veg. I cut a chicken in half and did the poaching-roasting method again – once cool I’ll add it to the cold meats for the platters. I have also made a tray of very quick sausage rolls (with sheets of frozen puff pastry and thick beef sausages that I removed the skins from) – I’ll bake these tomorrow. The only other hot things will be shoestring fries and crumbed prawns – which I bought frozen and they just need 20 minutes in the airfyer tomorrow night (much easier than my original plans). I wasn’t going to do fries, but I was worried about whether the youngest kids would like the cold platters.
    I’ve also just put a pavlova in the oven (my brother in law’s favourite dessert).
    I’m very glad that I always get the guest bedroom ready to go again as soon as people leave, so there’s nothing I have to do in there. Bathrooms have been quickly cleaned and now I just have to tackle the floors. If anyone dares to comment on the state of my windows or the lack recent dusting I’ll be trowing a cleaning cloth at them.

Time to heat up some soup for dinner. It’s been a busy FD!!

Whew, LJ, it makes me tired just reading of your flurry of activity. You respond well under pressure. All of the food choices sound lovely, and probably more than you need unless you have some big eaters there. How long are they staying? Just the one night?

Intesha, I love your Christmas cake. The color of that frosting almost matches LJ’s new mixer. The snow men are cute. You can always stick their arms back on if they come loose again. Good thing you had those emergency lights for your Dad when the power failed. And glad it’s warm there this time of year. Our power always seems to go out in the winter when it’s cold. We seem to have had fewer in recent years. Makes you thankful for electricity and realize how much we depend on it.

Anzac, I like that poem. Maxx is just resting up for more chaos as soon as it cools down a bit. 😁

Thin it was pure coincidence that the cake is the same colour I didn’t even think of it until you mentioned it. That’s how it was pictured in the book.

I’ve had the lights for a few years. The last lot I bought in the Uk because I couldn’t find them here again. They are round like a tennis ball and can be stuck on but I just have them placed in corners where Dad goes and a couple near my room. They sense movement, even fluttering curtains, come on and stay on for about 60 seconds, battery operated.

Funny story, I had bought some for Mum and Dad when they were living in Queensland. When Mum was starting to decline with the dementia she would walk into Dads room with it in her hand and say it wouldn’t go out. I would take her back to bed and then a few minutes later she would be doing the same because every time she got out of bed it would go on. I laugh about it now but at the time it drove me crazy.

Had another big storm this evening but luckily not as intense as yesterday .

Yes Cali it’s just one night. Based on past experience with the appetite of the teenagers I think I’ll need every scrap of this food.
    I have stopped cleaning now – I had to, I broke my mop! The floor have been vacuumed and half mopped – luckily I started washing the dirtiest patch first.
    I think it’s a sign that I’ve done enough.

It’s the end of the weekend, 2 NFDs over, but not excess eating. Unlike some of you, I’m in the “have to lose weight” phase, not maintenance, so I am trying to be careful. Still have occasional snacks but not huge amounts. Getting enough sleep is crucial!!!

Thinatlast, Yes, there are all sorts of strange food customs around the world. Once in South China I was offered sandworms as a delicacy – they were very expensive, and I did try a mouthful – very like rubbery squid – and left the rest for my hosts.

Quacka, did the windows get done? I can’t remember when I last washed mine, so …. you are way ahead of me!!

Cinque, Yes, I have to do research for my study. Some done already, but a lot more to do in the early part of next year.

Anzac65, I enjoy your descriptions of Maxx’s exploits – did you manage to keep a straight face when OH ended up facedown in the mud? Or were you actually too concerned about Maxx to find it at all funny?

LJoyce, I sympathise with your “I’ve blown it, so let’s eat anything for the rest of the day”. I’ve done it all too often in the past. I’m trying not to do that any more, so let’s hope it sticks. I also remind myself of my mother losing lots of weight many years ago. Due to heart problems she was told she HAD to lose weight, so she stuck strictly to 3 meals a day, and any time outside that, if she wanted to eat, she would immediately drink a glass of water. She gradually went down from around 160 lbs to just over 100 lbs. Had the best figure she’d ever had in her life during her 60s!!
    Oh – weather – it’s been crazy, coming from the east instead of from the west, down from tropical storm Owen. Today should be the end of the worst of it here in Melbourne, and better weather for a few days. Not typical of December at all for Melbourne!

Good morning from a sunny Monday morning in Sydney.

Unfortunately weight is up 69.4 but being mindful it doesn’t go any higher.

Have a good day everyone.

Good morning,
    Lovely sunny Monday morning in Melbourne,

Aren’t glider poles a wonderful idea!

LJoyce, I hope you find a nice level place for your scales.
    Goodness I am impressed by how your managed that change in plans. Gold medal. I nearly killed myself just making a tamale pie.

LJoyce and Thin, My tamale pie has turned into an interesting subject. I made it because it was meant to be Mexican: it was in a recipe book with the Mexican recipes. I was interested to see how it differed from my corn pone pie recipe.
    It is not Mexican. It is a Southern US pie with a cornbread topping, same principle as my corn pone pie recipe. (A bit of research shows both types can have the cornbread as the topping or the base).

Intesha, I laughed at the story with your mum, sweet too, but I can imagine how it drove you crazy at the time.
    What a nightmare with those storms. So glad you and your dad managed everything okay. And made such a wonderful Christmas cake! Won’t the kids love the snowmen!
    Congratulations on keeping yourself stable among all those treats.

Betsy yes, the longtimers here have all got to maintenance, and nothing to do now but post every day. Haha. But how we cheer on those that are losing weight, we haven’t forgotten what it is like. Vigilance and good sleep are the best!
    Hmm, I should have asked: field research or book research? Not that you need to explain yourself, but I was hoping to do a doctorate myself, before I got too ill, so I am fascinated by the areas and topics people choose.

Well my sister and daughter and I are getting together on Monday afternoons to do a bit of planning together, and we are having a go at bringing food to help each other. Last time we did an Indian theme, my daughter made a dal, my sister a lamb curry and I made a chicken curry so we each had three different dishes to help us through the week instead of one. This time we decided on Mexican, hence the tamale pie. I admit I found it a bit stressful, especially since I didn’t even end up doing a Mexican dish, but we will work out how to make it easy as we go on.

Added stress because I got overenthusiastic and decided to make a salsa too. Bought all the ingredients so not easy to back out. Better see if I can wind myself up to get it done before my lovely neighbour comes down for Monday morning coffee. It is my social whirl day!

Best wishes everyone on your day.

Good morning! A gorgeous sunny day in Sydney, as Intesha said. Bit too humid for my liking

So after a mindful three days I am down to 87.4 again, a loss of 500g! Over a weekend! That is very unlike me but I’m happy. FD tomorrow and Thursday will hopefully see me into the 86’s. Gosh, it has been a very long time since I saw that

Cinque what a lovely idea to get together with your daughter and sister to share food. I’ve tried to cook Mexican food a few times and it never quite turns out right. I cook a lot of Indian, African and Asian but anytime I stray from those cuisines I tend to muck it up. Sorry your Mexican pie turned out to be Southern American but I bet it will be yum. Good luck with making your salsa too.

hey Betsylee, I’m in the ‘have to lose weight’ phase too and I have never been so hopeful. I’ve been trying to lose weight for over 20 years and finally something is really working. I’m looking forward to sharing this journey with you. You have really had some fascinating experiences in your life – sandworms! Oh, and you caught me…I really had to think about some terrible things to stop myself from laughing when OH hit the dirt…or rather the mud, chasing Maxx.

Definitely a sign to stop cleaning when your mop has to break itself in order to have a rest LJ! Your food sounds absolutely amazing and I am waiting for my invitation please! I was horrified with you about realising your visitors were coming a day early…I would have totally lost it especially with 14 for dinner and you had to go out during the day for lunch! Crikey. I’ve never cooked for a crowd, hubby does that with me being assistant chef. I only started cooking a few years ago so am still in the ‘mess it up often’ stage so now way can I cook for more that about 4. I laughed at your thought about throwing something at anyone who dares to comment on your windows. I’d do the same only it would be something heavier than a cleaning cloth.

These storms are a worry aren’t they Intesha? Glad yesterday’s wasn’t as bad as the day before. I’m with you about the brilliance of 5:2 means you can fast away excess eating due to stress or lots of unavoidable social events. Sorry to hear about your power loss and thank goodness you had those lights. The story you told about your Mum was sweet. And your Chrissy cake is amazing!

Cali, yep, Maxx was recharging. When it cooled down in the late afternoon he came alive and was actually galloping around the house! We had the air-con on so he was cool. We got a bit distracted at his dinner time cooking our own dinner so he picked up his food bowl and brought it to me with pleading eyes at 6.13pm. He knows, on the noggin, when it hits 6.00pm so he was telling us it was late and he was about to pass out from malnutrition! And that’s one thing that made me smile yesterday 🙂

I love hearing about your DD Thin, so please don’t think you have talked about her too much. I didn’t go to university so am always fascinated by all that it entails. I’m sad about your upcoming empty nest, but this will be time to focus on YOU and spend quality time with your OH. I laughed and laughed at the thought of moving to Darwin just so we can have a calm puppy…I have four more work sleeps until my precious two weeks off. Last day is this Friday and I’m hoping the boss will send me home early.

Hi Quacka, Lindsay, Gday, Penguin, JudyS

Maxx antic for the day. We just spent a few hundred dollars getting some of the excess of our new carpet overlocked and turned into mats for the high traffic areas. Three are in our room and he must have become bored in the night as he has delicately nibbled one corner each of all three. Just enough to render them looking ragged. Couldn’t he just focus on one of them? No. OH was very unhappy as you can imagine. He is the treasurer and said we are spending too much at the moment and things like this don’t help. Sigh. You are correct LJ, maybe he will grow up when he is 13 years rather than 13 months.

Have a great day and good luck to anyone has a FD today

Good Morning everyone

Its Monday FD for me and I am very prepared again, mentally and food wise. I have some mineral water in the fridge and a basic salad of red and green cabbage and home grown cucumbers and tomatoes. Just enough to keep the worms away!
    After staying the same weight all weekend this morning’s weigh in was a shock. I am up to 68.8kg! I did eat bread yesterday with lunch and then chinese smorgasboard for dinner. I didn’t eat any rice and mainly just had protein but it is still showing up badly today. Thank God for FDs. 🙂

Well I am pleased to say that the windows got done on the weekend. It was really funny because OH started cleaning the insides while I was doing other things. He finished them and then started on the outside, which I helped him with. We got the outsides so clean that it really showed up the bad job he did on the inside! Not his fault though to be fair – he couldn’t see what he was doing as the outsides were so dirty. The sea spray and the wind make them dirty quite quickly where we live. By the way he used car wash to do the outsides. I have volunteered to go around with my metho to clean up the insides. We have 16 windows with most of them being big double ones with the extra panels at the bottom that go down to the floor. A lot of window to clean!! lol

What made me smile yesterday. My Mum messaged me and said she is going to put some money in our account for my birthday and Christmas presents and also to help pay for Christmas food etc. It was a huge amount! I argued with her that I didn’t invite everyone for Christmas and expect them to pay for it! OH was not happy and said that he will have to talk to her. Lol
    It made me smile that she cares so much and also that OH will have to deal with her. Too funny!

I have to go now and start work. I am really smiling today as I only have four days left of work! Yippee

Have a great day all X

Good morning SHs

Quacka, I suspect the sodium in the Chinese food has had a water retention effect.
    Well done on getting all those window washed. Mine look terrible but I’m determined not to care it about it at the moment as I don’t have time to fix it.

Anzac, I did have a moment of panic, but I’ve been doing regular family dinner for this crowd for awhile which helps. Because the main meal was always going to be cold meats and salad it’s not that tough to pull together.

Betsy, it’s tough having to be restrained nearly every day, especially this time of year. Your observation about the between meal snacks being a problem is very true. By biggest problem used to be after dinner snacking – I ended up setting a curfew on when all eating stops for the day – that seems to work for me.

Cinque, as you described your tamale pie with the cornbread topping, it actually reminded me of a Moosewood recipe that I make that has a “cobbler” topping that is essentially a cornbread mixture. I hope you liked the result regardless of whether it’s Mexican or American.

I still don’t know why my weight and measurements don’t seem to match what they’ve been in the past. I fitted into my smallest jeans today and I usually have to weight 2kg less than my current weight to manage that.

I’d better go. I have a few things to organise before I head to the city.
    Have a good day everyone.

Good Morning all and hi and welcome to newbies.

Having gone AWOL for the last 5 or 6 weeks I’m glad to be back.

Lindsay, I hope everything has been progressing in a positive direction.

Hope everyone else is going well in their 5:2 ing and in life in general, and our Melbournites didn’t get washed away. Cinque – hope you, Miso and your home survived the deluge without too mych energy expenditure.

We have now travelled to our daughter’s place for a birthday and on to Christmas with our family. Our last little while has been consumed by a learning curve and a various trips for medical appointments etc as my OH has a cancer challenge ongoing over into next year. We’re doing well now that the immediate head-spinning and accelerated learning curve have been conquered, and treatment is underway. It is only a short while since a dear friend passed away from the same cancer so a little extra emotion contributing to the head-spinning, but we’re good now, and scrambling a bit to catch up with Christmas preparations while also enjoying being with grandchildren.

Check in:
    (Sigh) 66.5kg the day we left home and my travel scales have decided to go on the blink and were even ornery enough to not like the new battery I fed it. Ce la vie. Off to put my weight in the tracker and joun the Silly Season Challenge which I’m presuming Thin has started at the beginning of December.

Bye for now,
    Onwards and Downwards
    If you fall off the horse climb back on.
    Merry and OH

Merry, I’m so sorry to hear of your husbands health troubles. I hope he has an excellent result with his treatment.

I’m just heading home on the train.
    We ended up at a Mexican eatery for lunch and I had a delicious summer salad bowl with a garlic and lime dressing. Then we wandered over to a cafe for tea/coffee- and we shared a lemon curd tart. The only saving grace was that it wasn’t great pastry so I just ate the filling from my portion.

I’m very sorry too Merry, what a worry for you both and your friends/family. I hope the treatment is very successful

Quacka – when is your birthday? I remember it was very close to mine and I thought I wrote it down but now can’t find it. I hope we haven’t missed it!

Merry good to hear from you but I too am sorry to hear about your husband,particularly as I have met you both. Thinking of you.

LJoyce, we share the same dilemma if you can call it that. I am actually up nearly 4kg from my lowest weight back in 2016, that is frightening to say but all my size 12s still fit nicely. I really think it has something to do with the body catching up to the weight loss. I chase my scales all over the bathroom until I get a reading I am happy with 😱😱

Betsylee as you can see there are still several of us not in maintenance but just keep going regardless as we know this WOL works when applied correctly 🙄🙄

Hello losers, I was all up to date with posts before I left for bridge this morning but had no time to comment. Now there are a few more and I’m having to re-read the earlier ones.

Merry, sorry to hear of Mr M.’s health issues. Is this the same problem that you explained to me before or a new challenge? Either way, here’s hoping for a good outcome with the treatment. Enjoy your time with the family and let’s hope your run of bad health luck doesn’t extend into the new year. At least your weight sounds very stable from what I recall from your previous posts.

Arel, wondering if you are still reading. I miss your posts. Hope is all is well with you and Mr KD.

Betsy, what a saving grace that local custom was when the sand worms were served. I won’t be googling that.

Anzac, you must have arrived at work nice and early this morning as you supplied me with a good update over my first coffee. Too bad that all I can remember of it was Maxx and the carpets.

Quacka, lovely that your mum wants to chip in. I’d feel the same about taking money from invited guests, then again, she is family and only you and she share the history so I’m sure you’ll work it out satisfactorily. Good job with the nearly washed windows.

Cinque, I’m not much of a cornbread fan but the tamale pie sounds intriguing. You are so adventurous with your food preparation. Lovely that your sisters are able to support each other like that.

Intesha, I know you’re one for living for the moment so you won’t mind dealing with any excesses after the madness of the season ends. You have enough 5:2 experience to know it works for you ‘when applied’ as you say. In a way I wish I could do that but my personality requires a different strategy because a kilo here and a kilo there for me could spell the beginning of a slippery slope. Consequently, I am stressing over being 59.8kg this morning. CalifD, to the rescue please!

LJ, no wonder the family love coming to your house for dinner or to stay. All that running around will have your clothes falling off you. Have fun with them tonight.

I may have missed some replies, apologies if so. I read them but forget too quickly. Hi Lindsay if you’re reading.

LJ, your summer salad at the Mexican restaurant with the garlic and lime dressing sounds good. I think Cinque got everyone in the mood for Mexican food with her tamale pie. Even if tamale pie is a US dish, tamales themselves are Mexican. Here’s a recipe that looks good for the pie: https://www.aspicyperspective.com/perfect-tamale-pie-recipe/ Cinque, is that similar to the one you made?

Merry, I’m so sorry to hear that your OH has to deal with treatments into the next year. Hopefully he has good meds that help with the side effects so he can get through it as easily as possible. They have come so far with newer drugs. My OH went through that 9 years ago, this same time of year. He got through it and has been fine ever since. You know a lot about nutrition and healthy foods, which can be so helpful as well. I’ll be thinking of you both and sending lots of positive thoughts and prayers your way.

Thin, no rescue from this side of the pond. I was 60.6 this morning. Thank goodness tomorrow is a FD!

We got most of the Christmas decorating done today. I love all the colored lights, especially with the short days here in the northern hemisphere this time of year. It started to rain late this afternoon and is around 8 or 9C tonight. We had a warming beef stew tonight that I cooked in the Instant Pot. We don’t often eat beef, but it just sounded good tonight. There was actually more parsnips, carrots and potatoes than beef.

Hope everyone is having a good 5:2 day. 😊

Merry, I had wondered where you were. Welcome back. Give your OH my best. He is a positive sort of guy and hospitals don’t phase him, which is one advantage.

FD over today, hurrah! Enjoyed healthy vegies with eggs and tofu, and a couple of thin slices of cheese melted over it all. Yum! Then some gingerbread as dessert, so all up about 650 cals, not bad.

Quacka, I’m bracing myself for tomorrow evening as I’m also having Chinese food. The salt and MSG is a killer for fluid retention. Just be patient a couple of days, don’t over-indulge, and it will all drop off again, as LJoyce has already said.

thinatlast, the sandworms were a local delicacy of that area of south China, not even found elsewhere in China. Supposedly very expensive, but they can keep them! 🙂

Cinque, you asked about my doctorate research – basically looking at second language English speakers in church congregations communicating with each other when they have to use English as the medium of communication, what kinds of problems they have, in what areas of communication, etc. I’ve been to one church and its offshoot, but need to go to several more, hopefully in the early part of next year – basically asking volunteers to do a survey, and then I’ll also interview some of them who indicate willingness. So, surveys, interviews, then analyse the data and try to interpret it. Fortunately I’m part-time with 3 more years to go, so there’s time. It seemed like something important to investigate, plus keeps my mind active now I’ve finally retired. If you have the opportunity to do a doctorate, I’d encourage you to go for it.

Intesha and Anzac65, it’s very encouraging that you’re both still in the weight loss phase with me. It was starting to feel intimidating with so many in maintenance.

LJoyce, good comment re setting an evening curfew on snacking. That time of day has always been my hardest where eating is concerned, especially if I happen to be feeling a bit bored. A friend has been sticking to an 18:6 pattern and lost heaps of weight. I’m aiming for a 17:7 pattern, which I hope will also do the job, as well as the 5:2 eating.

I’m feeling grateful for our easy, cool weather at the moment. Grey and quite humid, but easy temperatures.

I’m tired as I have been overdoing it and it was enough to lead to a bad night. Luckily I have some slow days ahead and can do all the things that are good for me.

Merry, I am very glad to hear from you, but so sorry to hear of Mr Merry’s cancer challenge. Do pass on my very heartfelt good wishes. I bet you have had a learning curve and a half, and I am so glad to hear that you are doing well at the moment and are having birthday’s and Christmas with your dear family.
    You have done brilliantly to have kept your weight in the mid 60’s.

Anzac, what a lovely friendly writer you are. Thanks for your posts. Hope Maxx’s damage count today isn’t too high.

Quacka, fortune favours the well prepared, I do hope yesterday’s fast day was a great one. Enjoy breaking your fast today!
    What a lovely mum you have.

LJoyce, I hope it was a joyful family dinner last night.

Thin, I hope it was enjoyable bridging ( 😉 ) yesterday.

Cali, the recipe you linked was one of the ones I checked out in my tamale pie research! My recipe is a vegetarian one, the filling is mostly potato, kumara and green beans. My cornpone pie recipe started off similar to the recipe you linked, but I was a vegetarian in those days and converted it into a yummy red kidney bean and pumpkin filling.
    The cornbread topping in the one I made on Sunday had finely diced red pepper and corn kernels added to it, so I am looking forward to trying it.

Say hi to Crickets, and also cheers to your OH I am glad he came through his cancer treatment so successfully.

Betsylee, what an interesting subject for your doctorate, and how useful it will be for those church communities, and other places where the situation is similar.
    I’ve been joking that the conceptual plan come business plan I am writing for my community food idea, is my doctorate. (It should only be about 12 pages 😉 ) (plus appendices 🙂 ) But it might take me three years…

Day before fast day for me, and time for coffee. Best wishes everyone.

Good morning SHs

What made me smile yesterday? Showing my 5yo great niece my veggie patch and letting her and her brother pick peas. You should have seen the look on her face when I split one open and let her see the peas all lined inside the pod. She’s only even seen them in a bag in the freezer. She’s familiar with snow peas, but hadn’t seen podded peas in their pre-frozen form before.

Betsy, the thing I found with the curfew on eating was that it had to be an absolute rule for me. If I allowed myself to break it sometimes then sometimes became too often.

Cinque, enjoy the mild weather, it looks like the hots days won’t arrive until after christmas.

Cali, a beef and root veg stew sounds like just the thing for your chilly weather. I can imagine how your christmas decorations are coming together, you always go to so much trouble for holiday decorating. I’ve just put a small table top tree on the cabinet next to the tv – and that’s it.

Thin, my clothes won’t be falling off despite the running around. I didn’t stick to meat and salad last night, I also had garlic bread, sausage rolls and some chocolate that one of the guests brought.

Hello to everyone else that I’ve missed.

NFD (controlled hopefully) for me today.

Good morning all, a cloudy day in Sydney. Still humid but not as bad as the last few days

FD today and I’ve had two black coffees with Natvia. I just washed up my mini plunger standing in front of two large glass containers full of biscuits. They are always here in our office unfortunately. One contains Vita-Weat crackers and the other Arnotts assorted biscuits. I wasn’t even remotely tempted for a change!

Glad you had a great FD BetsyLee, your dinner sounded very nice. Your research sounds very interesting and I’m keen to hear how it all progresses.

We are fasting together again Cali, you are mid way through your Monday and I’m just starting my Tuesday fast 🙂 Hope it is going well

I was early yesterday Thin, Maxx had us up even earlier than usual so I decided to come in before 7.00am to have a big catch up on everyone’s great posts.

Glad your size 12’s still fit nicely Intesha. I’d love to be a size 12 but might even be happy with a 14 from the ‘normal’ clothes shops (that is very different from a size 14 in the ‘big girls’ shops). We shall see! I bought some clothes from Target at the end of last summer that are a ‘normal’ size 14. They were on sale and incredibly cheap so I thought even if I never get into them I haven’t spent a lot and they are there to motivate me. I tried a bikini top on last weekend and before I couldn’t even get the two ends to meet behind my back. I actually got it done up but couldn’t breath as it was so tight but progress! Not that I would ever wear a bikini outside my own swimming pool!

Your lunch sounded really nice LJ; I just love interesting salads. How did the big dinner go with all the family?

I hope your scales did a massive reversal Quacka after your FD. Windows….hmmm…very frustrating to clean. I did our two glass sliding doors recently and every time I thought I had removed every smear I’d find another one! They stay clean for a very short time as a little black nose makes adorable (NOT) smears almost immediately. Maxx also likes to lick the glass – no idea why!

Have a great day all, as it is a FD I will check in more regularly to get motivation when those hunger pangs bite.

Hi Cinque & LJ, I took so long to write my post ours crossed. Sorry to hear your busy times have caught up with you Cinque. Take it easy for a while and get back on your feet.

How sweet the looks on their faces must have been when your great niece and nephew opened those peas LJ. Don’t worry about the bad food, we have to allow ourselves treats sometimes and you will reverse any damage before you can blink. I hooked into some crackers yesterday on my controlled NFD but today’s FD will sort it out.

It’s just after 9.00am and I’m pretty hungry but going to get a nice cold bottle of water from the fridge and have a big drink of it so hopefully that will help.

Good Morning everyone

I am happy to say that the scales did do a big reversal this morning Anzac! I’m down 1.5kg from yesterday to 67.3kg. I had a really good FD yesterday as I wasn’t even hungry all day. My carefully prepared salad is still in the fridge upstairs so that will be lunch today. I had a lovely light dinner but I also had a couple of refreshing beverages so I’m guessing I probably had about 800 calories. I am happy with that.

I am on a B2B today so I am joining many of you on a FD. It will most likely end up around 800 calories again but I am happy with that. Better 800 calories than no FD at all.

Betsy, it definitely is something about Chinese food. I always weigh heaps more the next day and I never eat the rice. It must just be the sodium and MSG, like you also said LJ. I sometimes wonder why I eat it but there is not much choice for takeaway out where we live and going to Chinese is usually a last minute decision when we are feeling too lazy or tired to cook.

Merry, I’m sorry about your OH’s health issues. I understand what you mean about the head spinning. It’s nice that you have family around to support you both. Best wishes for a speedy recovery

By the way Betsy, I am also in losing weight mode it’s just that at the moment I am trying to at least maintain my current weight through this holiday period. I am around 8 – 9 kgs away from my goal weight which I may reassess as I get closer to it. I don’t want to be too skinny.

Windows argh!! So after cleaning these **** windows all weekend we had a huge storm on Sunday night and now they look atrocious again. I started to clean the insides with metho and I think I may have got myself confused. I have used that before on mirrors with great effect but it does require polishing or you still get the streaks. I think I used to use white vinegar so that is what I am going to try next. The other alternative is to just give up on them completely! lol

Anzac, my birthday was 28th November and no, you didn’t forget it! Thank you.
    Maxx loves licking the glass. That is too funny. You will be soon able to wear that bikini top without it being too tight. I also kept several bikinis from when I was much slimmer and I can now fit into all of them. I am yet to wear one to the beach as this weather is very changeable and I like it really hot to go swimming. I hope to soon. Maybe I will even buy a new one.

Hi to everyone I haven’t already mentioned – Penguin, thin, Cinque, Cali, Intesha, LJ. Also hi to anyone reading and not posting, feel free to jump in anytime.

Have a great day everyone X

My NFD has become anything but a controlled eating day. First of all I notice the pieces of rocky road left over from last night – I ate all of those. Then I got stuck into home made biscuits that I’d taken out of the freezer so that my sister and brother in law could have some while they were staying here. I have no idea why it’s so difficult today, although lack of sleep last night isn’t helping.

Quacka, my vote is for the last option, just give up on the windows completely.

Cinque, I was looking online to see if I could find Mollie Katzen’s “Frijoles con queso etc casserole” from the “Enchanted Broccoli Forest” book was online. (It’s a version of a vegetarian tamale pie – although I don’t like her cornbread topping as it’s too dry I use my own cornbread recipe.) Not only did I find the recipe, I found a recipe page where she’s posted other recipes that aren’t in the cookbooks I have of hers. http://www.molliekatzen.com/archives.php I’ll be bookmarking that one. In the years that I was vegetarian I cooked more things from her books than anyone else’s. Hers are also the main vego recipes I continued to cook even when I started eating meat again. I think it’s her generous use of cheese and eggs, both of which I love.
    Yes Cinque it was a joyful and rowdy family dinner.

Anzac, I am very happy being a size 14. I do occasionally fit into something smaller but my measurements best fit 14 standard. I used to be a size 26 so it still feels like a massive change and I do absolutely feel “normal” as a 14. I don’t think it’s the size that matters it’s a question of whether you are in good health or still have weight related health issues, whether you can maintain that weight (a big issue for me when aiming for anything smaller) and whether you feel content at that particular size/weight. My weight related health issues were all solved once I got under 80kg, but the other things I’ve found have moved a bit over time – a couple of years ago I was scared of losing more weight as I didn’t believe I could maintain it – I guess it took time to stop being afraid of that. I actually think it’s normal to choose a goal and then adjust a bit once you get there.

LJ, thankyou, that is very encouraging. I think I was a size 14 when I got married and at the time I thought I needed to lose weight but looking back at the pictures I would be more than happy to be that size again. I also think anything smaller will be too hard for me to maintain. My knees, back and various other body parts creak and hurt every time I stand up right now, and I know it’s from 25 years of being well overweight so I am really looking forward to that not happening anymore soon!. I am so in awe – size 26 to size 14 is incredible. I was pushing out of size 20 when I went back to Weight watchers early this year and now am 16-18 in ‘large’ size shops. I can’t really feel the difference yet, not much anyway, maybe because it has been mega-slow…but whatever, it will be amazing to feel good again. Soon. It will happen.

My goal is to be 71 kilos by hubby’s birthday next June. As you said, aim for the goal and adjust once you get there

Sorry, babbling. Trying to keep busy as it’s getting to my ‘trigger’ time where my FD’s have fallen down in the past. Have my emergency apple at the ready!

I haven’t yet read today’s posts, I miss you all, but I’m SO behind as I spent too long on the SSC thread and then got very busy. I just skimmed through and read something about bikinis so thought I will just add some humour to today’s posts until I can catch up tonight. “I’ve had this bikini since I was 21 and it still fits”. https://imgur.com/a/JGBsZQs

BWAH HA HA HA HA HA HA Thin!

We miss you too. Hurry up and stop being busy 🙂

There’s a saying about confession being good for the soul. Well coming clean about the rocky road and bikkies (US translation – cookies) that I ate this morning must have helped. I actually had a small healthy lunch of leftover poached chicken and salad and I’ve just had a mid afternoon snack of raspberries. I feel quite full and am not tempted to keep eating. That’s twice in a week that I’ve stopped a binge day before it got completely out of control – at this rate I’ll be setting a new trend!
    Thanks for listening, it helps – Anzac you can babble to us as much as you need to, if it stops you thinking about food.

Lol thin! I am now rethinking my idea to wear my bikini next time I go to the beach lololol
    Well done LJ on controlling the binge. You are doing great 🙂
    Anzac, I have no doubt that you will reach your goal. Just keep on going and you will get there
    My FD was going fine until I had my lunchtime salad with a can of salmon (surprisingly only 75 calories for the salmon). I was really hungry today and when I got home I had some gherkins, salami and cheese (not the Brie though)! Then I felt sick. I’m feeling better now but I think I will be over my calorie goal of 800, probably more like 1200. Not to worry.
    LJ I understand about the lack of sleep not helping. Prior to the weekend I have been barely sleeping. I managed to have two nights of ok sleep and then bang, not sleeping again. Awake from 1am-5am this morning, then fell asleep just in time for OHs alarm to go off less than half hour later. 🙁
    By the way it is definitely vinegar with a dash of water for cleaning the inside of the windows. I’ve been working on them again today and I can happily say that I am ready to see the end of this job! But at least we can see out of them now 🙂 🙂

Viewing 50 posts - 18,501 through 18,550 (of 28,005 total)

You must be logged in to reply.