Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,897 replies, has 831 voices, and was last updated by  Anzac65 2 hours, 27 minutes ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 18,151 through 18,200 (of 28,001 total)

• Anzac, that’s the best feeling ever when someone notices your weight loss! Of course, they all noticed when we stacked on the same amount of weight but were too polite to mention it. Ha ha.

Jude, you’re going well it seems. We’ve all found that walking is excellent for well-being, improving mood, general good health and maintaining weight but not much help in losing weight. Nevertheless, 11,000 steps at work is surely better than sitting at a desk.

GDSA, all that talk of home gyms is making me tired. Have fun with it – will it be temp. controlled in the shed? I can barely enter ours in summer, let alone do a work out!

Happy Birthday Lindsay. Hope you are having a lovely day x

5pm Friday, Adelaide

Late post for me. I spent most of the day finishing christmas shopping for the younger members of the family. I felt quite exhausted when I finally made it home.

Lindsay, happy birthday. Hope you are having a lovely day.

Anzac, I had quite a giggle at your misinterpretation of “you’re shrinking!” It is lovely when people notice. It can be hard to see the progress when we see ourselves in the miror daily.

Intesha, drive safely tomorrow. I hope you have a fabulous trip.

Hello Thin, Cinque, quacka, Jude, Cali, GDSA, Penguin, and anyone else who’s reading but not posting.

Although tomorrow was going to be another NFD I’ve decided to do a FD. These last two NFDs have had too many poor food choices.

Happy Birthday, Lindsay! (This time on the right day, I hope!) http://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/n-arxsrf/zw4pw/products/121/images/426/RM_141_Beautiful_Birthday_Cake_of_Flowers__84379.1399216227.1280.1280.JPG?c=2
    It’s so good to hear the wonderful news about your OH’s improving eyesight. I hope you see more in the coming days.
    I hope you both are enjoying the Amazon Echo. We got oneof the first ones 4 years ago when they were first available here. We’ve added them to other rooms in the house over the years and really enjoy the convenience of having light bulbs connected through them which we can control with voice. They can do so much more these days than they could do 4 years ago. They update themselves all the time. Ask Alexa to sing Happy Birthday. Or tell you a joke. Or play music from the 60’s or 70’s. Or how to say “good morning” in French. She is so smart! Penguin, Siri lives on my phone and is a lot more snarky than Alexa. 😁

Thin, I had to laugh at your comments about your neighbor and the alien rubbish. I thought that was what extra food on FD was called. 😁

Cinque, good to hear you are getting rain. Please send it in our direction when you are finished with it! Yesterday the smoke from the fires to the north of us was blowing in our direction. Although it was actually a sunny day, it looked like a thick fog and smelled awful. The sun looked like an orange ball. I can only imagine how much worse it must be up there. It has now grown to 141,000 acres – 40% contained.

Intesha, your new cookies are lovely. But $90 to mail them to the UK! Ouch! Have a safe drive down to Melbourne. Is it a scenic drive?

LJoyce, you had an incredible op shopping day. The clothing you bought is beautiful and I imagine it cost a fraction of what it would be in a regular store. Our friends wanted to go to the op shop here yesterday and today and bought a couple things. (She volunteers at one near their home.) Our store just had a big Christmas sale so it was really kind of picked over. But they continue to put out new things, so I was glad she found something.

Our friends leave tomorrow morning and I’ll get caught up on reading all of the posts then and write some more. Hope everyone is going well today.

We survived the 37C day without needing air-con. Our house stays cool for one day but becomes an oven by the second hot day. Today will only be 27C. It’s smokey though so there must be a controlled burn somewhere.

LJ, CalifD, I get irritated by Christmas decorations and carols in the shops so early in the year and refuse to do anything about it until December. Bah humbug.

CalifD, did you manage to practice your normal FD while your friends were staying? I read that the Ca fires are raging on, how awful, so many missing and dead and such destruction of property.

Question – I’m making chicken broth today and the new recipe I’m using says to simmer gently for 12 to 24 hrs to get the most flavour and nutritional benefits. I’m not too keen on leaving the pot on the gas burner overnight while I’m sleeping so thinking I might put it in the oven (which is electric) on low overnight. Your thoughts on this please ?

11am, Sat, Adelaide. The last mild spring day before a couple of hot one’s (sent east by Thin)

I read an article this morning about scientists agreeing to base measurement of a kilogram on a method. The article did mention that this won’t make the bathroom scales any kinder. So you see, even scientists agree that the scales are mean little sods who like to ruin our day!

Thin, I too get irritated by early easter or christmas promotions – but not as much as I hate crowded shops. Which is what I have to endure if I wait until December. Thankfully much of my family is happy to receive cash, boxes of cherries and home baked shortbread, so it’s really only the children that I buy “normal” gifts for. Mostly I buy them clothes because I figure they get of toys from others.
    I haven’t made it to Bohemian Rhapsody yet either, maybe next week.

Cali, I hope you enjoyed your time with house guests.
    The news from the California fires is getting worse. They said yesterday that the fire season for California is now 8 months long.

Cinque,
    You’ve probably already seen this but I thought of you as I was reading it. https://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2018-11-17/going-vegan-is-it-worth-it/9930816
    I found the debate between meat production, highly processed meat alternatives and sourcing local interesting – especially the question about which is most sustainable. It hasn’t changed my mind about my current approach to food choices.

Jude, I expect there is an extra layer of challenges managing a FD with shift work. If you haven’t already looked for advice on this site, I’d suggest you search the forums on this website for discussion threads on shift work:
    Go to https://www.google.com/advanced_search then put “shift work” in as your search words. Scroll down to “site or domain” and paste this link in: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/
    This should give you all discussion threads on this forum which have shift work as their main topic.

Quacka, there is nothing like distraction to stop you thinking about food. I’m sure 59 boxes of stock would accomplish that nicely.
    I agree with you and Anzac on the creamy dressings. I have always hated dressings like mayonnaise, salad cream, thousand island etc but unfortunately I recently discovered that I do like aioli. I hadn’t heard of green goddess dressing but it sounds lovely – I can imagine it as a great dip too, I think the addition of yogurt would make it more appealing than I usually find guacamole to be.
    Actually I’ve never understood why there’s a general belief that salads are low calorie – do people not realise how much fat (and calories) there is in most salad dressings? – presumably not.

GDSA, I hope you do get your gym functional soon. Is it going to be a cool enough space to use in the summer?

Hope you all have some nice weekend plans. I am hoping (and planning) for better food choices. My best friend is coming to afternoon tea tomorrow, but instead of baking I’m planning raw veg & hummus, and perhaps some watermelon wedges.

I’m doing a FD today. Two cups of tea so far. Dinner will be a 2 egg omelette with tomato and zucchini (yes I still have a glut of them to use). If I feel hungry this afternoon I may have some celery sticks with the last of this week’s batch of hummus. I’ll make a fresh bowl of it tomorrow for the coming week.

Hi all

Just a quick check-in as we are crazy busy with spring cleaning ready for the big family day next weekend. Had a pretty bad day yesterday food-wise but today am being much more controlled. Woke up with a sore throat and head cold so feeling pretty ordinary.

Everyone sounds like they are having a good weekend. Hope it continues!

GDSA, only just noticed your earlier post – I’m sure it wasn’t there when I posted earlier.

I have put things in the oven that are meant to be simmered on the stove as I am less likely to burn them that way. I have never left anything overnight however. The main risk is that it will burn dry and you aren’t there to check it and top up the liquid.

An alternative is to simmer it all day to day, then refrigerate overnight and simmer it again tomorrow.

hi all just a quick check in. Arrived in Melbourne all checked in, scotch in hand and some smoked almonds (sorry). Just noticed the almonds are from California.

The trip was about 9 1/2 hours and that was with stops. It took me over 45 minutes just to get around the ring road to my hotel but I’m here.

Cali everyone’s scenic is different. I came straight down the freeway and I love the wide open spaces, seeing cattle and sheep grazing. Even though we’ve had severe drought there are places where it is very green. The other way is via the coast which is a longer trip but very scenic. If I had someone with me it would be lovely to meander down that way and stop off as the mood dictates.

Anyway Cinque I am here and so looking forward to a catch up.

10:45am Saturday, Northern Calif

Good morning everyone. As your temps are getting warmer, ours are getting cooler. Our high today will be a sunny 18c. I love sunny weather, but hoping the predictions of rain beginning Wednesday and continuing through Sunday, for here and up north where the fires are, turn out to be true. I’m requesting group rain dances from now until then. Cinque, maybe you could submerge your tea candle in a bowl of water. 😁
    The air here has been clear the last two days but they were closing schools in the Bay Area a couple days ago. Today the Camp Fire up north, has grown 148,000 acres but is 55% contained. The big Southern California Fire is 98,362 acres – 82% contained. So many homes and lives lost.

Intesha, glad to hear you’re in Melbourne. When we drive from here to LA, we have a similar choice of freeways. There’s the Interstate 5 which is pretty straight, not much to see, but abouta 6 or 7 hour drive. The scenic coast highway is prettier but takes a few hours longer. I usually opt for the quicker one.
    Have a wonderful and relaxing trip. And have a good meetup with Cinque.

Gday, I agree with the others about not leaving agas stove on overnight. I would just refrigerate it and start it again the next day. Soups and stews and broths always seem to taste better the second day anyway.

Jude, welcome to the forum! I have been doing 5:2 for about a year and a half. I’ve been doing it as maintenance since the beginning of this year. I lost about 13 kg last year to get to my goal. In maintenance, I just eat a little more on NFD. I hope you find it as useful as I have in getting to your goal and then staying there.

Thin, I did my regular Monday and then moved my Thursday fast to a Friday because of having houseguests Tues – Thursday. I really needed that FD yesterday. I’m at 59.6 today. Next Thursday is Thanksgiving here and having a second celebration next Saturday. So NFD will have to be a lot more mindful this next week!

Looking forward to my Sunday FD today as it’s been a rather indulgent three NFDs. Who’s in?

It’s been a long time since we made a road trip in Oz. Those distances! I remember once driving for four days before seeing the first sign for our destination, “Darwin 1400kms”!

CalifD, good for you for fitting in the FD. We’re expecting 23C today in the west, not much higher than your 18C. I hope you get that rain. So much destruction is hard to comprehend. Not to mention the plight of furry friends. https://www.washingtonpost.com/science/2018/11/17/surviving-camp-fire-was-hard-enough-now-these-animals-have-find-their-humans/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.a8696be078d8

Excited to discover that the tomato seeds I planted a while back are vine tomatoes. They’re growing in groups of eight. So tasty, I can’t wait for them to ripen.

Hi all. I ended up simmering the broth on the stove for 12 hours and didn’t worry about going any longer. It looked, smelt and tasted delicious so thought it would do. The new shed will be fully insulated, lined and will have reverse cycle heating and cooling so no probs using in all weather conditions. I’m making a huge batch of pasties today to restock the freezer so I must get cracking as it’s quite time consuming Oh and I’m loving my scales today….1kg down. Happy Sunday all.

Gday, That sounds like a good decision.

Intesha, I hope you got my message and are having a lovely Melbourne morning.
    Call out to other Melburnians who might be interested in a meet up?

Jude, my sympathy re the shift work. It puts a large toll on the body. I hope you get some good tips.
    Grazing through a late shift is in an interesting problem, taken over from cigarette smoking a generation ago, I expect.

LJoyce, I hope you have a good recovery: baby sitting then Christmas shopping. Exhausting!
    I am glad you understand my bread thing. Must start some off today, since my loaves are made over a couple of days.
    I did see that interesting article about the tricky issues of eating ethically. It was good and I put it up on the YD fb page. It is a rabbithole, isn’t it!

Cali, No more rain here, but I did my best to incorporate rain magic for California while watering my garden with my watering can! Hope it works.
    I saw an amazing video of the smoke plume forming over your state. So scary.

My sister, whose birthday is on the 20th of November, is very strict about no Christmas anything until after her birthday! I am obeying her. She is VERY strict!

Anzac, hope you are feeling better today!

I’ve had a busy few days and a busy week ahead, so today I am home doing as much nothing as I can, and glad to be fasting, except boy am I hungry! Lucky I’ve got lots of little home things that need doing so I can keep distracting myself.

Better head off and do some!
    Cheers everyone.

Hi everyone. Sunday at 11.00am and it is mostly sunny but only 21 today. There is a cool breeze…I can’t believe summer will be here in two weeks because lately it has been feeling more like autumn

Intesha, glad you are in Melbourne and enjoying the start of your break. Cali, I am doing a rain-dance for you as well

Congrats on the 1kg down Gday! Your shed sounds amazing

Enjoy your FD Thin, I’m looking forward to mine tomorrow. I normally can’t do Mondays, which I actually prefer, but my Dad isn’t coming tomorrow night because of my head-cold. He catches things easily so will stay away from my germs.

Has the hot weather arrived as predicted LJ? I am really hoping for some heat next weekend so the family can enjoy our swimming pool. It is heated but if it is cool outside it is very cold when you get out

Anyway, hope everyone is having a great weekend

10:45am Sunday, Adelaide, warm day today, hot tomorrow

GDSA, I’m pleased that your stock only needed one day of simmering. Good luck with all those pasties. And well done on the 1kg loss – your scales are having a friendly day.

Cinque, congrats on the emergence of your tomatoes. I’ve had little bunches of green cherry tomatoes on my plants for a while – but none of them show any indication of changing colour yet.
    I’m about to head out to do some grocery shopping and yeast is on my list. Time to get back into bread baking for me. You’ve inspired me.
    Hope you enjoy your day of relaxing.

Cali, I’ll do a rain dance or anything else that might help you. The news we hear here seems to get worse daily. They said this morning that air quality in northern California was a problem. I really hope the fires are out soon.
    What are your Thanksgiving plans. Does that involve any house decoration? I always get the impression that Thanksgiving is a really important holiday in the US – although what we see on the media and movies can’t be relied on for accuracy.

As usual I inspected the veggie patch again this morning to see what had grown overnight. I decided to investigate a bit deeper into the legume patch this morning and found plenty of snow peas ready to pick – I hadn’t even noticed them before! They will be handy as I’m going to do a dip platter for afternoon tea when a friend visits and I need some raw veg for dipping.
    I also picked my first cucumber, but it doesn’t look anything like the long dark green cucumbers that I thought these plants would produce, so I won’t be sure it’s edible until I cut it later.
    https://imgur.com/a/vhxTRgd Today’s picks and an update of how much the veggie patch has grown – the empty area in the front is where I removed the spinach plants that had been attacked by bugs.

Time to head to the shops now. Have a nice Sunday everyone.

Anzac, your post arrived after I submitted mine. Today and tomorrow are in the 30s here, then back to quite cool and possibly wet days days until next weekend. As the short burst of heat seems to be heading east it will probably get to the east coast, although not sure which states it will get to. Hopefully you’ll have it next weekend so you can enjoy the pool.

LJ, Thanksgiving is the biggest holiday in the US, at least in terms of air travel. More people fly home or to be with friends and family than they do on Christmas Day. I used to always work when I lived there so my work colleagues could enjoy it, since it really meant nothing to me.

GDSA, that shed sounds pretty spiffy.

Anzac, I home you get the wx you desire for your pool. And I hope my neighbours do not! Today is perfect for gardening. Nice and cool.

Cinque, I started the day feeling very hungry, too. It’s because of all the rubbish I ate on the three NFDs. Thank goodness for FDs otherwise I’d already be face planted into something sugary by now. It feels as if I have been poisoned. Not a good feeling.

6pm and I’ve just cleaned up the kitchen after making 28 pasty slices. A marathon 7 hour effort but glad the freezer is stocked. In fact the freezer is quite well stocked with soups, stews, spaghetti Bolognese etc which makes week night meals so easy

Miss D’s friend who slept over on the weekend has gone home but MissD not so keen on cleaning up the mess they made. Time to put feet up, do some reading and an early night for me. 36 degrees today and 39 tomorrow….yuk

7pm Sun, Adelaide

GDSA, sounds like you deserve to put your feet up for a while after that cooking day. Hope you are managing to stay cool.

Thin, thanks for conforming my impression about Thanksgiving. It did seem to me that more importance was placed on it than Christmas.

Sorry to hear that Cinque & Thin have had hungry FD. Thankfully my FD yesterday broke the bad food cycle and I managed a very light NFD today.

By the way, the cucumber that I was dubious about was actually delicious. I had the whole thing in tonight’s salmon salad.

I went for a walk late afternoon and came to a realisation about how I can walk in hot weather. I figured if Cali can manage 10,000 steps without leaving the house, I can use the huge air-conditioned shopping centre nearby to get my walking done on hot days. I can walk early on a hot day. But I’m trying to walk in the afternoon as well and on hot days it isn’t cool enough until 6pm and I don’t feel safe walking by myself from 6-7pm. I’m hoping the shopping centre will solve that problem. Although the crowds in December might make it a bit slow and frustrating. Still, any time I spend standing and moving rather than sitting is a good thing.

Hi all. A quick post as we are on the island and I left my dongle at home so internet is confined to my phone which I dropped and now have a shattered screen. Oh well.
    Thank you for my birthday wishes all…it’s been perfect.
    Oh’s spirits are high. He didn’t tread on any children’s toys (or the baby!) and the family didn’t let me lift a finger.
    And I got a great present from my son and dil … a bee hive for native bees. They know me so well… I’ve always hankered over bees.
    Hope those of you who are doing well continue to do so, and things look up for those who aren’t.
    And praying for rain in California.
    Good night all.

Lindsay, your hive sounds interesting. Please keep us up to date with the progress.

Gday, it sounds like your freezer is now well stocked after your cooking marathon. You deserve some leisure time now! Your shed sounds like it will be a great place for the treadmill and exercise bike with the temperature control. How niceto have a dedicated space for exercise.

Anzac, your weather yesterday when you posted, sounds like ours today. It should get to around 21. Still praying for rain for the fire areas. Here’s a link for info on the fires. The Camp Fire is the one north of us. http://www.fire.ca.gov/current_incidents Thin, the article you posted about the animals is heartbreaking. Getting the pets out is one of the things I worry about most if there would ever be a fire here.

LJ, your vegetable garden seems to grow by the minute! That cucumber you posted looks like a pickling cucumber. I don’t usually pickle them, but I often buy those small ones and slice them for salads, like you did. Thanksgiving and Christmas are both big holidays here but Thanksgiving is my favorite because Christmas has become so commercialized with the shopping and gift giving aspect that it kind of takes the enjoyment away. Thanksgiving is just a big meal with friends and family, and it’s one of my favorite meals to cook. We are going to OH’s neice’s house for the holiday and then I will do a meal here on Saturday here for friends. Traffic does seem to be worse on Thanksgiving and thankfully we’ll only have a 15 minute drive. Thin, how nice it was for you to offer to work on the holiday when you lived here. I’m sure your co-workers were thankful.

Intesha, will there be pictures of your meetup with Cinque? I know you probably wouldn’t want to post them on a public forum like this, but Cinque has my email and could give it to you.

We already have a lot of fall decorations up from Halloween, so I swap out the pumpkins for turkeys and such. Here’s a photo, plus a photo of the trees in front that are very colorful this time of year. https://imgur.com/a/xLYuJRt There are 3 of those trees in front, an Ornamental Pear tree that doesn’t bear fruit. About half of the leaves are down and in the driveway already. There’s also a picture of our Meyer Lemon tree in the garden. The lemons still have a lot of green on them, but I’m guessing they should be ripe in another week or two. We planted that when we moved here.

Hope everyone is having a nice Monday. It’s great to read all the posts here.

Good morning, it is blue sky and sunny before a hot day (only 30c but hot enough for a little complaint).

Lindsay, so glad to hear you are being pampered and that Mr L can see enough to avoid squashing the baby. A native bee hive is such a wonderful gift!

Anzac, I hope you are feeling better today, and if you aren’t that a fast day is just the thing to help your body fight that nasty virus.
    You need to be well for the weekend, the timing should be perfect!

Thin, my hungry fast day was for exactly the reason yours was. Too much food the days before. I wonder if I had been eating really well (ie real food, not too much, mostly plants) those lovely couple of weeks when I enjoyed B2B fasts. Oh well, hooray for reset day.

Gday, that is one nicely stocked freezer! You will enjoy eating it empty!
    Oh dear, sympathies to MissD not wanting to clear up, and sympathy to you for having to make her.

The 39c can go straight up to Anzac thanks!

LJoyce, good idea to use an air conditioned area for your steps. Wow, you will get to know that place well!
    There is nothing as crisp and juicy as a freshly picked cucumber. So glad it was a good one. You are right Cali, the little bumps make it look like a gherkin.

Cali, I will do more rain magic as I water my plants in a minute.
    Your trees are beautiful, and so many lemons!
    Enjoy your thanksgiving decorating and cooking and sharing time with family and friends.

Best wishes to everyone

Good morning all

Well this morning I cracked the 87’s! Happy dance :):) Having a cold helps because you don’t really feel like eating too much.

We are having a claytons spring, it is normally much warmer than this 2 weeks out from summer. But I’ll be moaning about the heat once it arrives 🙂

So glad you had a lovely birthday Lindsay and your hubby is feeling more confident with his footing. What a lovely and unusual gift – a bee hive!

Does it get very cold in winter where you live Cali? I’m still doing rain dances for a deluge to help with those awful awful fires.

Cinque and Thin, it was interesting to read your comments that your FD’s are harder if you eat more on NFD’s. Makes perfect sense but I never thought about it that way. My first FD of the week always seems much harder than the second one and I guess it is because I eat more on weekends.

Glad to hear you had a great FD on Saturday and a light NDF yesterday LJ. I love cucumber and yours straight from the garden sounds delicious. I’m going to ask my in-house gardener (hubby) to try and grow some. Our tomatoes are coming along nicely and he planted basil, parsley and chives from seed and they are sprouting. We have lots of different chilli plants as well as thyme, oregano, mint, sage and capsicums. I’m sure there are others but I can’t think what they are at the moment. We have a miniature lemon tree but it never does that well and we only get a few each year.

Marathon effort cooking Gday. Well done! I like having a well-stocked freezer too so there are always healthy options to hand when we can’t be bothered cooking.

How is the holiday going Intesha?

I’m very hungry already but just about to make a nice coffee to distract myself.

Have an awesome day everyone

Who’s fasting with me today ? Im having 2 boiled eggs for afternoon snack and salmon fillets with green salad for tea. Happy Monday all

Test

Ok weird, when I tried to reply using my laptop I received a message saying I am blocked. I even tried re-registering with a different user name and email address. Same. Am on my phone now and thankfully ok. I hope it gets sorted as I will find it hard to type on my phone.

I’m with you today G’day. Happy fasting

9:15am Monday, Adelaide Forecast has been reduced to 34C. The sky is completely overcast here so I suspect there will be rain tonight.

Cali, lovely photos. What beautiful autumn foliage – both alive on the tree and also the garland you have on the stair banisters. I also like the tartan turkey, very cute – is that a McTurkey? Thanksgiving sounds like a nice holiday actually. We don’t have anything like that here. Getting together with family without all the gifts and expense sounds rather nice.

Cinque & Cali, the cucumber might have looked like a gherkin, but it was much bigger – about 20cm (8 inches) long. That’s just a guess as it was a bit bendy. It reminds me of one the cucumbers that was commonly available when I was a child, but is never in the stores these days. Those little dimples were actually a bit spiky, but I used the vegetable brush to scrub them off. A lot of the older varieties of cucumber do have little spikes, I wonder if that is why we can only buy continental and lebanese cucumbers these days – no spikes. Even the varieties of zucchini that I am growing are quite prickly to handle – they are covered in sharp hairs. I’ve learned that they are best picked wearing cotton gloves!

Lindsay, sounds like a lovely birthday. I didn’t even know you could buy a native bee hive – I hope it gives you a lot of joy.

Anzac, I too have lots of herbs. They are one thing I always try to have growing, even if I’m limited to pots as they are rarely practical to buy. It’s usually $3 for a big bunch of something when I only need a sprig. I seem to do better with some than others. Coriander always bolts to seed the moment I plant it.

GDSA & Anzac hope your FDs go well. I’m on another controlled NFD.

I have to babysit this evening from 4:30-8:30 so I have a bit of an unknown around dinner. I’m thinking I might even eat before I go as the children usually end up with something that is mostly pasta and cheese. I have half a tin of salmon left from last night and was planning another salad, something I only really enjoy when it’s a hot day – like today.

The home made dips and veggies were well received as an alternative to my usual baking for afternoon tea yesterday. That’s good to know as I don’t like using the oven on hot days as it quickly makes my living space hot. Also quite a bit healthier as my standard dips are hummus and tsatziki.

Have a good day everyone.

I’ve only just had a chance to read all the posts since my last one. My FD ended up going well and it broke the sugar chain. I feel much better now. Cinque, hoping you had a good day after fast.

Lindsay, glad you had a good birthday weekend. A bee hive. Wow. I’m afraid I can’t share your enthusiasm after coming under a sustained attack by a swarm in Sri Lanka but what a unique gift and one that I hope you will get much pleasure from. (Sorry, terrible sentence construction but it’s late at night). An elderly neighbour used to keep bees and, when another neighbour’s tree developed a hive, he donned all his gear (funny that, because his name was Don) and smoked them out from our side.

Anzac, congratulations on the new weight! Hoping you get unblocked very soon.

Quacka, I think you must be camping now. I hope that’s going well.

LJ, good idea to walk around the shopping centre in the cool. As I’m not good with crowds, it wouldn’t suit me well and I always seem to get stuck behind dawdlers in shopping malls which hampers my walking with purpose. How did the babysitting work out?

CalifD, I hope you have fun on Thanksgiving. And again with friends on the Saturday. It’s funny to think that we only eat turkey once a year.

Penguin, did you get that 6lbs off?

I think that’s all, except that my partner and I came first at bridge today, beating some of the grumpy bums which is satisfying to say the least.

Hello to everyone else – Arel, how are you getting along? Night all.

Lindsay, I think your gift of the bee hive wins the prize for unusual birthday gifts. I hope it was a really enjoyable birthday.

Thin, congrats on the first place results on bridge. This is getting to be a regular thing! Turkey is sold all year round here but it’s usually minced turkey that I buy during the year, because a whole turkey is a lot to eat or store. They are on sale everywhere before Thanksgiving though, often under $1 per pound. I wish I had space to store an extra one. I usually get a 20 lb one and have lots of leftovers. Then I make turkey soup with the carcass several days later. Baking it in the oven makes the house smell so good.
    Still waiting for your book to arrive from Amazon. It’s from a 3rd party seller, so takes longer.

Anzac, congrats on breaking into the 87’s. Before you know it, you’ll be under 85.

Cinque, thank you for your rain magic. The weather prediction for Wednesday up in Paradise, CA where the fires are is showing 100% chance of rain. I hope they are correct. It would be a huge help for the fire fighters.

FD for me today. I’m still trying to decide whether to move Thursday’s FD to Wednesday or Friday. (Could probably use both this week!)
    Have a great day, everyone.

Hot grey morning in Melbourne, but rain is on its way.
    I’ll incorporate it into rain magic for your fires Cali. That 100% chance sounds good.

Thin, the best thing about our native bees is that they don’t sting!
    Actually, the best thing might be the taste of the honey. I remember the wonderful tangy taste of ‘sugarbag’ when I was teaching in the NT.

Congratulations, winning bridge again! Especially against grumpy bums.

Anzac, it really does seem to be true that fast days are harder after EFS days. But on the other hand, more appreciated! I suspect it isn’t so for everyone, and that there are other factors too. (And I am glad the site let you back in!)

I had a bit of a messy day yesterday, I think I accidentally ate an extra meal! Today will be strict and sensible. And especially lovely as I am heading off to have coffee this morning with Intesha and her good friend.

LJoyce, I picked my first couple of zucchinis this morning, so cute, and yes, fuzzy.

Yes to herbs in the garden! Herbs and greens and I have always got a meal!

I have been trying to grow coriander for years and I am almost at the stage where I have it continually self seeding. It is an autumn and spring plant here, as it bolts in summer and can’t survive winter.

Enjoy babysitting tonight LJoyce. I’m doing some tomorrow evening. I am like you and don’t eat with them. I generally eat something when I get home.

Bye now.

Good Morning everyone

I read all your posts yesterday but didn’t have time to post myself. It was one of those days at work where I wasn’t super busy but there was lots of different things going on and I felt like I was achieving nothing!

Yesterday’s FD was successful and I really needed it after the preceding three days of EFS. I don’t know what got into me but I have put it behind me and am looking forward. I am doing a B2B today as I start holidays (a few days off) tomorrow. We were supposed to be going camping later this week but of course there are things working against that happening. Firstly, the weather is meant to be terrible, especially for camping and fishing. If it doesn’t rain it is still going to be really windy. We camp on top of a hill overlooking the ocean so it is not very pleasant in the wind. Secondly, due to rain last week, OH’s job has been delayed and there are things he needs to be on site for. So who knows, we may get away for day or two but I don’t think we will be camping.

I made a really lovely FD dinner last night. I baked some shallots (scallions, Cali?) and also asparagus in the oven. Then I dressed them with a miso dressing that also had honey, sesame oil and rice wine vinegar in it. I also stir fried up some kale with garlic and two very small pieces of pork for me, a bigger piece for OH. There was some dressing left over so I put some over the kale and mmmmm. The whole dinner was delicious. Now, I don’t know if it was really as good as I thought or if it was just that I was on a FD and we all know how good food tastes when you haven’t eaten all day! I will be making it again though and OH also liked it. He did mention (and I agreed) that the shallots are a bit chewy. Maybe next time I will cut them into pieces before roasting.

I better go and start work. If I have time I might post some more later. Hope you all have a lovely day and an easy FD if you are joining me 🙂

Take care x

https://www.saveur.com/miso-scallions

This is the recipe if anyone is interested. Of course I didn’t use 1/4 cup oil. Sometimes I think it is ridiculous how much oil is used (and wasted) in recipes. I used about half a tablespoon, probably a bit less.
    The asparagus was just an addition of mine and I think this dressing would work well with any vegetable, especially green ones. Carrots would be really yummy too, I think.
    I used red miso instead of white as that is what I had at home already.

Phew, back using my laptop and not blocked. That was very strange but I can tell you I was quite panicked at the thought of not being able to be here with you all anymore!

Nice sunny day in Sydney, 25 degrees later. Just a quick post as a bit busy at work this morning

We have tried to grow coriander several times and finally gave up. We love it and use it constantly but it just goes to seed straight away just as yours have done LJoyce.

Enjoy your catch-up Cinque and Intesha. I wish I could join you 🙂

Glad there is rain on the horizon Cali. I hope it is the end of these tragic fires. I still can’t fathom the amount of lives, property and bush that has been lost

Congrats winning bridge Thin!

My FD yesterday wasn’t the best but wasn’t the worst. My next one is tomorrow and today I want to have a very mindful eating day. Have brought healthy food to work and will NOT graze. Will NOT 🙂

Have a good one all

I seem to be totally losing the plot with everyone’s plans, birthdays and so on. Sorry, Quacka, I knew there was a camping trip coming up and then, when we didn’t hear from you, I made an assumption that you must be away. Sorry to hear that it might not happen anyway but hope you enjoy whatever you do (as Arel says).

CalifD, oh yes, you’re quite right – I, too, eat turkey mince during the year. We also have discounted frozen turkeys in the lead up to Christmas but most people I am sure have no room for stocking one until Christmas so the plan from the supermarkets must be that we buy one now, eat that, and then buy another. Not that I wish to talk about Christmas yet but it’s my turn this year and we do the turkey in the BBQ and the ham in the oven.

Cinque, I didn’t know that about native bees. Lindsay, will the hive live at your main house or on ‘your’ island that you refer to?

Anzac, good that you’re here. I would be so disappointed not to hear from you again!

I have found coriander one of the hardest herbs to grow. In fact, I’ve never enjoyed any success with it. We called it cilantro in California so it took me a long time to find it when we first moved here.

We had a verge collection this week. OH says it’s more like the relocation of junk from one neighbour’s shed to another’s. I love that idea and find it fun to see a discarded BBQ being rolled down the road to find its new home. This year, we only put junk out despite my neighbours trying to pass me a few ‘perfectly good’ items. We also get people from other suburbs cruising to scope out the pickings all weekend long. I find it a bit creepy as the street is usually very quiet. My OH left a lot of unwanted tools out (which could have fitted into our normal bin) so that someone could enjoy them. But one of the kerb crawlers (not that kind!) decided they wanted the table they were laid out on and scattered all the tools into the verge garden before deciding the table wasn’t good enough, tossing that into the road and driving off. Rude.

Thanks for the messages about our bridge results – it has taken me since February to learn this dastardly game! Not that I know what I’m doing most of the time but we are still having fun trying.

10:20am Tues, in a wet cool Adelaide. I’m going to be saying that a lot. We have a whole week of col temp and rain forecast here. That rain dance worked a little too well – the rain has been going no-stop here for the last 8 hours!

Cali, I’ve very pleased to hear that rain is heading toward those fires. I hope the rain helps the fire fighters get them completely controlled.
    I’m doing a FD today as well, and another Friday.
    20 pounds sounds like an awful lot of turkey. I hope you have a lot of good recipes for leftovers.

Anzac, you will not graze, you will not graze! I hope you can keep yourself distracted enough to avoid the food temptations today.

Quacka, thanks for the recipe. I can see asparagus and a number of other veg working in that recipe too. Green beans and broccolini perhaps. I’m also wondering if you could substitute oven baking for BBQ grilling once the summer gets here.

Thin, congrats on the bridge win. It’s always good to gently annoy the grumpy bums. Some people take themselves, or perhaps just their bridge a bit too seriously. I agree about the crowds, but on hot days it will either be a slow afternoon walk in air-conditioning or no walk at all, so I figure slow is the better option, at least I’m moving rather than sitting.
    The babysitting went well, they really are quite well behaved children – mostly. (Only one short tantrum last night – the 5 year old wanted to go first in every game of dominoes and didn’t like being told to give her brother at turn at starting the game.) The babysitting was at short notice due to a death in my nephews’ in-laws family. I probably won’t be needed Thursday this week as I think my niece is covering that.

Cinque, enjoy those first little zucchini. I always think the same thing about my garden – if I have herbs and a few leafy greens (and eggs) I have dinner.

I’m glad it’s not just me that has trouble growing coriander, it sent me off to do some research. I planted a punnet of seedlings which of course gave me too much coriander at once and as it bolted to seed it was a short harvest. I have since found out that coriander grows really well from seed and prefers not to be transplanted. So I think the only way to approach it from now on is to buy a packet of seeds and plant 1-2 seeds every 6 weeks through the warmer months. That should give me a more manageable quantity and a steady supply. I might also try this in a pot as it will give me a longer growing season. I might try leaving a plant to go to seed, although I have done that with parsley in the past and it self seeded a little too well and I had an overcrowded pot.

I’ve been a bit concerned about my over indulgent eating on many NFDs lately. Especially with December approaching and the more frequent meals out to deal with. I promised myself one week (this week) with no overeating, only controlled NFDs. I started Sunday and so far it has gone well. My only concern is that now that the weather has cooled down it may increase my appetite. I’ve decided to deal with that by making two soups. Red lentil-sweet potato-zucchini soup and also Cinque’s sorrel-potato soup. I also have home made hummus and tsatziki and cut pieces of raw veg in the fridge. I’m hoping those things will help me deal with hunger in the NFDs without feeling too deprived. I am limiting myself to no more than one slice of sourdough bread a day, which has surprisingly been ok. I cut it really thinly and made it into melba toast to have with the dips – having a little bit of the toast along with the raw veg helps me think of the dips as a treat and not a diet food.

I’ need to do a little pottering in the kitchen today and make those soups. I’m going to have to brave the rain to pick sorrel and zucchinis.

Have a good day everyone. I’ll wish for a mindful day of eating choices for everyone without regrets.

Sorry to hear your camping trip may not be going ahead Quacka. But I agree that camping in bad/windy/rainy weather is not pleasant. Glad you had a great FD and good luck with your B2B

Thin I laughed at your OH’s analogy about clean-ups resulting in the relocation of junk from one shed to another. It’s so true! My hubby loves sneaking up to neighbours verge collections and finding treasures. He is good though, he only nicks stuff that he can restore and use in a practical manner.

LJ, thanks for the info re coriander, I have copied and pasted it into an email for hubby to try. I like your plan about stopping overeating on NFD’s. I have the same issue when I am at home and I am going to get myself more organised. I didn’t mention this earlier because I was depressed about it, but my scales jumped up 1.1 kilos overnight. I told myself it is a glitch, or fluid but deep in my heart I know there has been more overeating that I have been honest with myself about. I desperately want to get down before the Hunter Valley weekend on 30 Nov – 2 Dec and then through December where I have 5 birthdays (including my own) plus Christmas! I don’t want to be heading back into the 90’s any time ever.

Today has been good; I have eaten exactly what I planned and no grazing. When I’m tempted I say to myself ‘what are you? Cow or girl?’. Ha ha

Kitchenaid update for Cali & Intesha
    I made a huge stockpot of soup this morning and I used to rely on the mincer blade in my old food processor to chop the veg for most soups, and sometimes the grating discs. I decided to see if I could get everything cut to my liking by the Kitchenaid food processor, even veg like onion and celery. I was pleasantly surprised that the dicer blades did such a good job, even with the onions and celery. A perfect size for soup – in fact better than the smaller pieces that the old food processor produced. I took pictures of the process: https://imgur.com/a/jbDxnzr The dicer blades handles soft veg like zucchini as easily as veg like sweet potato. I will definitely be using this dicer a lot during the colder months when I make a lot of soup. I’m a lot more confident now, that the combination of the food processor and mincer attachments that I purchased to go with the Kitchenaid mixer will do all the things I need it to.

Anzac, bounces up and down in the scales are not unusual and some people suffer them more than others. I’ve never been someone who easily has a steady weight. I weighed myself Sunday morning and I was 2kg up on my weight from about a fortnight before. I weighed this morning after 2 careful NFDs (no FDs) and that 2kg is now gone. It means it was mostly water weight not body fat gain. But even if we understand that the gain must be mostly water, it doesn’t seem to stop the emotional reaction we have when the scales go up. I often react badly to this by overeating – one of the reasons I stopped weighing myself regularly.
    Yes I know I’ve weighed twice in the last 3 days! – I’ve put them away again until next Sunday – I want to see just what impact a 5:2 week with careful NFDs can do.

I have had a little salad for lunch and a beautiful white nectarine – I love summer fruits! I am looking forward to a steaming bowl of the lentil veggie soup for dinner. Even the smell of it cooking now is comforting.

Good Morning everyone

Anzac, I laughed at your ‘cow or girl’ comment. I love it! I did that all weekend, mindlessly eating because I could and also because I had things in the fridge that I could graze on. It’s my own fault because I buy this stuff that I know tempts me and then think I can control it. Sometimes I can, over the weekend it was definitely not happening.

After a great FD Monday and then a really easy B2B Tuesday day I broke my B2B last night. I still remained under 1000 calories for the day but I can’t exactly call that a FD. My weight today is back in the 67kg range which I was surprised to see.
    I have just put some shitake mushrooms on to soak and am having a miso soup for lunch today. I’m hoping a light eating day will make up for breaking my B2B yesterday.
    As I am at home I can add some extra veggies in which will be even better.

It is raining this morning. I love listening to the rain on the roof.

Coriander is a pain to grow. I bought a huge packet of seeds (for cooking with) from the Asian grocer and I use them as my planting seeds. I also researched into why it goes to seed all the time and it is said that they don’t like their roots being disturbed, hence no transplanting. I think I might do what you said LJ and just plant a couple seeds every few weeks. I have a tonne of basil seedlings at the moment. Every other year I have planted seeds and I would be lucky if one came up, so this year I planted two lots of seeds and they have all come up. The rain is wonderful for making seeds sprout, so much better than watering.

I know a few of you do a Wednesday FD so I hope it goes really well. I will be thinking of you all x

Good morning, beautiful sunny Melbourne, 7am.

I had a lovely coffee and catch up with Intesha yesterday, and her good friend she has known from school days. It was great to hear the story of Intesha surprising her with her visit. Such fun.
    And I am also so lucky as to have some of her Christmas biscuits for my grandchildren. I think I will tell them about them, and send pictures, so they can enjoy the anticipation, before giving them to them at Christmas. (Am I right or would that be cruel to a 4 and a 2yo?)

To add to the coriander research going on here, I discovered that planting the seeds from my pantry, increases how quickly they will bolt and go to seed. They are bred for going to seed quickly.
    I bought some ‘coriander for leaves’ seeds and that turned out much better.
    My good friend bought a lovely variety (through Diggers) that have pinkish flowers, she had such a wonderful crop and gave me seeds that I had great success with, so I hope they are the ones self seeding now.
    But now is not the time to plant them for a long crop. The hot weather will send them bolting quickly. That doesn’t stop us from having a plentiful short crop though! And yes, so true that they don’t like being transplanted!

I’ve decided to fast tomorrow. Today is home help and baby sitting and enjoying the garden after a rainy night.

Cheers everyone.

Good morning, happy hump day

FD for me today. I briefly toyed with the idea of throwing myself face first into the shelves holding the freshly baked bread as I walked past the German bakery on my way to work this morning but managed to stop myself 🙂 Have just had a lovely (NOT) glass of cold water with 2 teaspoons of physllium husk in it and have now settled down with a nice coffee to catch up on posts.

So glad you had a lovely catch up Cinque and Intesha. And lucky you for having some biscuits Cinque! I know you can’t eat them and I’m sorry for that but your granddaughters will love them

Quacka, I’m the same at home. Some days I barely think about grazing but others I just can’t stop myself. I have to not buy anything that tempts me but there is always bread in the freezer

LJ your kitchenaide sounds like a mini computer! Glad you are getting to know how to use it and gaining confidence. I wish I had more time to get into more cooking. I spend a lot of my weekends cooking nice meals for us and for my Dad but I could honestly spend much more time as it is my favourite thing to do – second only to reading. I love summer fruits too and white nectarines are actually my favourite of all. They are still a bit hard and very expensive so I will give them another week or two before I start buying them.

Thin/Cali – I quite often make bolognaise out of turkey mince as it is low in fat and very tasty. Yum.

I have a big temptation today…I have to attend a ‘lunch and learn’ session and lunch is provided. I will have my salad before going in and will simply ignore the food and make sure I sit at the furthest seat away from it. I will take a coffee in with me to keep me occupied. I do worry a little about how many coffees I have on FD’s. For years I have only had one coffee per day as I used to drink too much of it. But now on FD’s I have 3-4 but it gets me through so I’m not going to stop it for now. I don’t have milk as I am lactose intolerant and I have natural sweetener (Natvia) so there aren’t any calories.

Anyway work calls….is anyone else fasting today?

Yes Anzac, I’m fasting with you today. I feel sorry for all that temptation you face but an ‘all or nothing’ approach would work. The only trouble with that is that people tend to feel the need to make comment and make a big deal out of it.

Cinque, good that you and Intesha caught up. Personally, I wouldn’t mention the cookies – 4 weeks is an eternity to wait at that age.

LJ, that kitchenaid sounds amazing. Maybe you can train it to do a few other household chores. Yes, I see what you mean about walking in the mall or not walking at all.

Quacka, enjoy your post fast day. Sounds like you’ve earned it.

Hi all. Cold, blowing a gale, no rain in the Flinders Ranges today. 11.30am.

I purchased a new book on the weekend. The Dirty Diet by Kate Harrison it’s a spin off from MM’s 5.2 books. It’s main focus is on the 5 non fast days and how to eat well for those days, while also partaking in a few treats. Started reading last night and enjoying it so far.

Weight has gone down again today by half kg. Have cooked some lovely meals the last 2 nights – crispy skin salmon with green salad and baked sweet potato, cut in half with cauli/broccoli rice on top, sprinkle parmesan and grilled – this has become OH’s new favourite meal. Although they were delicious, I could only manage to eat one of the 2 salmon pieces on my plate (They were small pieces) and only one of the 2 baked spuds (again they were small) so usure why I’m feeling full before I finished my meal but also happy that I stopped eating rather than feeling the need to finish my plate. Makes great leftovers for work lunch so all good.

Must get back to work. Have a great day everyone

11:30am Wednesday, in a cold and very wet Adelaide – it’s been bucketing down all morning. I managed to get a break in the rain for a walk yesterday afternoon. Not sure if I’ll be that lucky today.

Cinque, I agree with Thin. At that age their strongest concept of time is “now” or “not now”. They could teach us a lot about living in the moment.

Intesha & Cinque, how lovely that you got to catch up. One of these days I’m going to head interstate and catch up with some of the lovely people on this forum.

Quacka, I can’t handle B2B at all, so I’m amazed you managed to follow a FD with 1000cals. Id recommend you just treat it as a very controlled NFD and add another FD later in the week if you feel like it.

Thin & Anzac, you can get the Kitchenaid mixer to do a lot of tricks, but the problem is, you have to buy the attachments first. There are many optional attachments (juicer, grain mill, spiralizer, pasta roller…) but they range in price from $100-$400 each. That adds ups quickly. I bought the food processor and mincer as I could see myself using them a lot. Everything else I would use so occasionally, I couldn’t justify spending the money.

Anzac, all the nectarines in the shop were hard here too, but they did still ripen quickly when I got them home. If none in the shop are soft, just look for those that aren’t as shiny. I found three nectarines that had duller looking skin and bought those. I put them in the fruit bowl, not the fridge, and they were soft and ripe within 2 days, although they were warm days, which helped. It is still hit and miss as to whether they will be sweet or not – thankfully these have been.

Thin & Anzac, hope you both have very successful FDs.

I think I went over my calories on yesterday’s FD. The cold weather got to me and I had a hot almond milk drink in the evening – it probably put me about 50 cals over – nothing much to worry about.
    Controlled NFD for me today. I haven’t eaten yet, but am planning mushrooms and a poached egg on a slice of rye toast for lunch. Dinner will be the sorrel soup and I have an apricot, nectarine and raspberries for afternoon tea. Probably another hot almond milk drink this evening too as the forecast is just 16C.

Have a nice day everyone.

Hello GDSA, we must have been typing at the same time. Leaving food on your plate uneaten is a wonderful skill to develop. I still have trouble with this one – childhood training!
    Really pleased to hear that your scales are sill moving down.

My FD going really well, just had my emergency apple as I was very very hungry. All good, it tips me just over 500 calories so I am not remotely worried

Thanks for the tip about how to pick nectarines LJ, I had no idea. Will definitely do that in the future if they are too hard. Good luck with the rest of your controlled NFD

I too have trouble leaving anything on my plate so well done Gday. We are learning so much on the WOE aren’t we?

Thin, I got through our ‘lunch and learn’ easily as I had my salad and took a coffee in as planned. I didn’t even feel tempted by the sandwiches and I don’t have a sweet tooth so the cake wasn’t even in my sights!

Must run….

I’ve been trying to catch a break in the rain to go for a walk. There was one as I was just siting down to my lovely cooked lunch. So as soon as I’d eaten I put on my walking shoes and anorak and just I opened front door the rain started again. There was another break at 1:30 so out I went again – doing loops near home in case I had to run for it! I managed 45mins before the rain started again and I had to race for home. I think it should count as resistance training too – every time I walked north the wind tried to blow me backwards.

Anzac, glad your FD is going well.
    Another tip for choosing ripening fruit is to press gently close to the stem. Most fruits ripen there first, so it there is a tiny bit of give you know they will ripen soon – that works for avocados too.

Cinque, thankyou for the sorrel soup recipe, it’s worked out beautifully – in the end – with an unfortunate detour along the way! I wanted to make enough for 2 serves and I wanted to use the veggies I had on hand. So in addition to the stated veg, I added 2 small pale green zucchini to the soup and I also added a huge amount of sorrel leaves (many times the amount mentioned in your recipe). I was expecting the soup to be lemony, but not pink (from the red stems) and definitely not bitter – after simmering the pretty pink broth was very bitter. So I drained off the broth, rescued all of the veggie chunks and discarded the cooked sorrel leaves. Then I added fresh stock to the veg and I actually obeyed your recipe and added only a dozen shredded sorrel leaves right at the end. I chose to puree the soup. It is very nice – creamy, slightly lemony and no longer bitter. Sometimes taking an individual approach doesn’t work out so well.

Viewing 50 posts - 18,151 through 18,200 (of 28,001 total)

You must be logged in to reply.