Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,904 replies, has 831 voices, and was last updated by  Lindsay L. 7 hours, 8 minutes ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 17,701 through 17,750 (of 28,008 total)

• Very good advice, thanks. To add to the dilemma just about everyone I know has a birthday between now and mid December (including me) so I have re-jigged my spreadsheet to be 85 by my birthday (mid December) which is a smidge over 0.5 per week and a total loss of 6.8. Then I would like to maintain through my two week Christmas break and start losing when I go back to work in early January.

Suz, that sounds like a very good plan and I look forward to sharing our good days and commiserating over the bad ones.

Your scale experience gave me a laugh as I have done the same thing on my dodgy old scales. I have a new set now and they are much more stable. Glad you are having a positive FD….I am too

LOL thin!!

I must admit I did say a few bad words with the first weight. I may also have repeated those same words when the third weight came up and it was totally different, in fact I may have even added some new bad words and also I may have called the scales a few different things!!

It is kind of a good thing. It is a reminder to not place too much emphasis on those nasty little numbers 🙂 🙂

Thin, your reminder had me feeling momentary panic.
    December is usually deadly for me when it comes to maintaining weight. I’m hopeful that the silly season challenge will get me through as it did last year. But I do need to have any overindulgent tendencies brought back into line in the next six weeks so that I’m starting from a mentally strong point.

Hi everyone. Sunday night here and looking forward to my Monday FD. It was a sunny 24 degrees here today but rather windy which made it seem cooler. I think I may be getting sick because I feel a little achy today. I hope it wasn’t the bit of kefir I drank yesterday that had been in the frig for weeks. It smelled sour but not off. I added the grains to new milk and all looked ok.

Cinque your chair garden looks like the great Melbourne hurricane of 2018! 😁 I couldn’t figure out what that silverbeet vegetable you were all talking about was until I saw your photo. We call it Swiss chard here. There’s white and there’s red. I love it sautĂ©ed with a little olive oil, salt and garlic. It looks like you have a great crop growing there.
    Miss 2 looks so cute eating her “tulip”. Such nice healthy treats! She has grown a lot since the picture you posted of her by the pool. Glad you were able to find a way for Miss 4 to scare away the insects. It sounds like the fear is the sort of thing she will grow out of.

Gday, congratulations on your engagement! Happy for you that it is finally official. How is OH feeling? Has he started the new medications yet.

Lindsay, I hope your OH Surgery was successful. We are all worried. But there is probably recovery time before he will know. Just want you to know we’re thinking of you.

Anzac, Quacka and Suz, please be patient with 5:2. Cinque is right, about 500 grams per week is the average loss. But the good thing is that it’s pretty easy since you only have to count calories 2 days per week and eat mindfully the other 5.

DS reached her goal yesterday but has now decided to lose another pound. She told me the other day that she was surprised at how well 5:2 worked. (I had been trying to convince her for the last year and a half.) Yesterday she went to the op shop with me for the first time. It turned out to be a great day because she found a winter sweater and a dressy jacket and also some casual jewelry that she liked. I rarely look at the shoes because I’ve never found any that I liked, but yesterday I spotted a pair of blue suede shoes that looked like they had never been worn. The soles were in spotless condition. I also found a Mikasa serving platter that I had been trying to replace for a few years, but it’s not made anymore. The first one I had, I dropped and broke years ago. I found another but made the mistake of putting hot corned beef and cabbage on it right out of the oven (St. Patrick’s Day a few years ago) and it was too hot on the cold platter and it shattered. I always liked the platter because of the raised edge, especially when I have to bring food somewhere without spilling it. I couldn’t believe it when I saw it for $3.79 at the shop. The shoes were also under $5, so it was a very good good shopping trip. Here are pictures of both: https://imgur.com/a/EwMbT9X

LJ, your crop of veggies and herbs looked beautiful. How nice to have such a nice variety so fresh from your own garden. Are you feeling better today? Good luck with finding a new refrigerator. I hate spending money on things like that but when they start to go, it’s such a problem.

Thin, your Christmas Silly Season challenge last year was just what I needed to keep me in line. I ended up hitting my goal on the last day of the year and probably wouldn’t have if it wasn’t for the support of the challenge. There certainly are a lot of sweet things around that time of the year, exactly the type I’m attracted to.

Anzac, hopefully the weather improves for Harry and Meghan’s trip. Has she been to Aus before?

Cali, I’m glad you and Crickets had such a good day at the op shop. I especially like the blue suede shoes. There is something about having suede shoes in winter that makes me feel spoiled.
    We seem to be at that time of year again where our temperatures are in the same range. It’s mid 20s here too today, although extremely windy.

Today I’m continuing with the “fresh fruit only” policy for snacks. It’s interesting how I change my mind about whether I actually have an appetite when my options are an apple or some strawberries, rather than the muffin or biscuit I wanted. It doesn’t stop me eating those things, but if they are at the end of a meal I eat less than if they are afternoon tea. So I plan to continue this for a few more NFDs until I get myself back into a better pattern.

Hi Cali, how nice for your DS to get to her goal weight. And a nice shopping trip in the mix. Prince Harry has been to Aus many times but this is the first time for Meghan I believe. It’s only 19 degrees! My wedding anniversary is in 10 days (26 years) and it was mid thirties that day. I prayed for a sunny day and got it in spades…a bit too much as OH was sweating when I met him at the end of the aisle (ick) plus there was a very strong wind. I had a long veil and it whipped up around my head on several occasions! Be careful what you wish for I say

Sounds like you are on a good path LJoyce. Good luck!

Monday FD complete. I had my pickled cabbage, carrot and capsicum just before 3pm. OH was late home from work so I had to wait to cook dinner. Two gherkins and a cup of decaf tea did the trick. (Have I mentioned I have an obsession with gherkins?) Dinner was a small piece of steak and veggies – roasted cauliflower, steamed broccoli and carrot and also mushroom gravy. I am satisfied but still feeling a little hungry, not unbearably so though. Looking forward to a NFD tomorrow.
    Hope you are all doing well x

Good morning, grey and cool and drizzly rain in Melbourne. My garden is SO happy.

I’ve set the carrot drink up and if it works you’ll get photos! I do so hope it does as carrots are wonderfully cheap and yummy. The price of the purple ones have stopped me from buying them, but after hearing how sweet we are breeding veggies, and that we should choose heritage varieties, I wonder if they are worth the expense. Do they taste different, Thin?

A series of ‘The Diet Testers’ aka “How to Lose Weight Well” started on SBS last night and they had a little segment on konjac. Dr Xand was checking out if you could have zero calorie, or even negative calorie, foods: ie that use more calories to chew than you get from them. An experiment with celery indicates it is a myth, he did get some calories, but he went on to find the food with the least calories, and konjac was the answer. The chef whipped up an Asian salad that Dr Xand loved.

LJoyce, I used to have a big pot of French sorrel. It looked like this at it its best: https://www.mygardenlife.com/uploads/2011/10/6194_19.jpg and provided me with leaves for many years, and when repotting it I could give bits to friends. I popped it in everything that asked for greens, but my favourite recipe was this French soup, which makes just one serve, a good lunch, and was always a treat when I had lots of sorrel (and a leek):

Heat a little oil/butter
    1/2 leek, chopped, and 1 small potato in 1cm cubes: saute 5 mins until glistening.
    Add 2 cups stock and bring to a simmer
    Have 6 – 12 sorrel leaves, julienned. Add half a few minutes before the potato is cooked, and then the other half, and salt and pepper, just as you serve. (The cooked sorrel goes grey, but flavours everything, the last added leaves just wilt and stay green and zingy).

Thin, such a sensible warning about the weeks leading up to Christmas. I am so much in the backwater now that I don’t have the run of Christmas parties and End of Year things on, for every workplace and social group. And avoiding sweet things makes any I go to much less damaging, but even with all that, the Christmas season is stressful and busy and messes with my routines.

I love how your Silly Season Challenges have allowed us to think ahead and make decisions about how we want to tackle the season, and break down expectations that we will sail along like we do the rest of the year.

Anzac, I hate cockroaches. (Survivor of a couple of infestations.) (Lucky for Miss 4, I don’t have one now!) (Touch wood and whistle).
    How exciting to have your wedding anniversary coming up. Oh dear that hot windy day! As they say, if it doesn’t make for a wonderful day, it makes for a good story!
    It sounds like yesterday was a very fasty Fast Day. Excellent. And sensible planning for the upcoming celebratory season.

Quacka, hooray for your Fast Day too. What cheeky scales you have.
    I hope you are enjoying a lovely ‘morning after Fast Day’.

You too Anzac!

Sympathy to you LJoyce, moving house, family weddings and celebrations, and now Christmas thundering down on us. But you will do it, as you say, there are a few weeks yet. As my sister says: Don’t dare start thinking about Christmas until after her birthday (November 20th).

Cali, I do hope you are feeling fine now, and not coming down with something awful. You will be pleased to know the chairs are off my garden, and the seedlings are all bigger and stronger and enjoying some drizzly rain, so I mightn’t need to put the chairs back.

Re the silverbeet, when I was a kid, we thought silver beet and spinach were interchangable words as my mum used it whenever spinach was called for. It is chard of course, but we never called it that. I call rainbow chard ‘chard’ that has much more delicate stalks (red and orange and yellow ones) and I still call this ‘Fordhook Giant’ silverbeet. Can’t work out where the ‘silverbeet’ name came from!

Hi to Crickets, and congratulations on getting to goal weight. And now one more
    pound! Great Op Shop trip! What a find, a platter you have been missing, you have a gain. And O I love those shoes too!

How are you going to manage your Halloween challenge? It seems to me to be even more difficult than Christmas.

Fun reading all the posts on this page over my first coffee.

Anzac, good thinking about your first goal. We once had a discussion about why we use cake to celebrate birthdays. My OFMs were so disappointed when I announced that I no longer wanted a cake for my birthday. At that point I realised that it had little to do with celebrating my birthday. It had been a family tradition that we’d walk to the local patisserie, the birthday boy or girl would select the cake which was so enormous that we’d have a piece every day for about 4 days until it was gone. I achieved a mini victory the first year by convincing OH that we could freeze half of his and bring it out for mine a month later! Congratulations on your upcoming anniversary! When I started this, I thought we were married a few weeks before you. But now I think it’s 27 years.

Quacka, your FD is complete, hurray. Did it go well? I hope you have an enjoyable NFD today.

CalifD, hope you’re feeling better. Your DS is a convert now. What a great op shop day. Yes, those Christmas treats are so tempting because we don’t see them all year. We will enjoy everything on offer, perhaps in lesser quantities. And we will make time for FDs.

LJ, don’t panic. We will get through it! Strength in numbers with like-minded people.

Cinque, I don’t think the purple carrots taste much different. I just use one or two when I’m making a salad platter as the colour is so spectacular on the plate. You and LJ have prompted me to buy some sorrel seedlings next time I’m at Bunnings. I do like their garden centre. I always check out the near dead plant stand and get a few bargains. These plants do so well in my garden as they’re apparently so grateful to receive some attention.

Pool season has begun next door! OMG, the shrieking. The cheeky tenant came round to ask us if our trees can be cut down because they don’t get enough sun on their pool. I told her that I really questioned the wisdom of installing a pool right at the fence line and under our tree line. The then-owner removed a row of beautiful mature trees to make way for the pool, which was his right, but it doesn’t follow that we must also take down our trees to accommodate pool activity next door. They’ve already been excessively pruned at the fence line which has removed all the screening properties just above fence height where it’s most needed. They’re allowed to do this although our local council now discourages it now due to significant loss of tree canopy in our suburb from people wanting to build on every inch of their block. We hired a tree surgeon at huge expense a couple of years ago to accommodate some other noisy tenants. We were left totally exposed and the tenants moved on. DD says we should put them on a gold star system. For every month they show some consideration wrt noise pollution, we lower the trees a metre!

First world problems, eh? Now it’s time for another coffee.

Hey, all–

Just a quick hello, since I’m at work today. Love reading all the posts, hearing about life where you are.

It’s a FD for me, so I’m standing in solidarity with any others doing the same. The rest of you, holding good thoughts for you as you do your NFD.

Hope your day is filled with peace!

Good luck with your FD Suz 🙂

Weight this morning 68.9kg, checked three times lol. The scales must have just been having a wobbly yesterday.

My FD went very well thanks thin. Amazing how my attitude really helped to make it an easy one for me.

I know how it is with problems with neighbours. (warning thin…snake story coming up)
    Both our side neighbours are lovely people although I think they are also a bit stupid. They both have these “snake repellants” around their back yards. These so called snake repellants actually emit a loud beeping sound at very regular intervals throughout the day and are worse in the warm sunny weather when of course we have all our windows open. This sound is purely to annoy the hell out of your neighbours as snakes do not have ears! It drives me a little crazy actually. The stupidest thing is that in the four years we have lived at this house those two neighbours are the only ones nearby that have had snakes in their back yards, my left hand neighbour has had two in this time! Obviously the snake repellants really work….not!!
    The left hand neighbour has this old vegetable garden up the back which he has let get so overgrown that the weeds were higher than our fence line, which is not a low fence! Then the neighbour on the other side has a chicken coop which we know attracts rats/mice which in turn attract snakes. Our neighbour over the back also has chickens.

The snakes they have had are actually only red bellied black snakes and help to keep the other more venomous snakes in control. We live in an area where tiger snakes are common so I know which ones I would rather have.

Anyway sorry for my rant.
    Hope you are all having a lovely day x

Hello LJ, Thin, Calif, Cinque and any other of you kind souls I’ve missed. I’ve been reading sporadically but just can’t manage regular posting at the moment. Things aren’t going too well here. With his eye covered, OH was virtually blind for a day but when they took off the patch the following day he could see and read some of the chart. He’s gone downhill since then – he can get around, but can’t read or watch television. He is due back to the surgeon on Friday, but they have given us an emergency appointment this morning, so we’ll know more then. I guess it was unrealistic to think he wouldn’t have some after effects – it’s highly traumatic surgery. As my DD pointed out, if it was a kidney removal (yep, he’s had that too!) he’d be black and blue and with huge dressings and we would expect it. With the eye, there’s no wound to speak of, no dressings either. I will check in later with the news from the surgeon – do you have a spare candle Cinque? x

Thin I am outraged for you. The idea of cutting down trees so you can suffer even more with noise from a warmer pool. Are the suburbs just getting noisier, or are people becoming less considerate?

Lindsay: I lit three. xxx

Thinking of you both Lindsay x

Oh Lindsay, so sorry for the distress. This comes with a wish for peace.

Lindsay, maybe there is just swelling or things just need to settle down with OH’s eye. I’m glad you got an appointment this morning. I will also light a candle and hope for a positive outcome.

Thin, your neighbor’s request that you cut down trees so they get more sun in their pool is outrageous. Sounds like the trees were there first. What were the owners thinking, building a pool under a bunch of trees? I’m surprised they had the audacity to even suggest such a thing. Do you get shade from the trees? How much would your energy bills increase in the summer? Tell them the trees are blocking the noise. Sheesh!

Quacka, a beeper to scare snakes away? How about an air horn aimed in their direction? Aren’t there sprays or pellets or something that are supposed to discourage snakes?

Cinque, I don’t think I’ve ever seen sorrel in a grocery store and the nurseries don’t seem to carry it. Amazon has seeds so maybe next spring I’ll try planting some.

Lindsay, I’m so sorry that things aren’t going well. I truly hope there is an improvement very soon

Thin…neighbours…when OH first embarked on the backyard renovation the couple at the back said he could take a panel out of the fence and access the road via their driveway. This meant he could get a digging machine in to do most of the hard work. Then they changed their mind and made him stop about 1 month in. This meant he had to take the rocks and dirt down to the road at the front of our house (we are on a sloping block) in buckets. He cleared tonnes of rubble and now has a bad back and knees. Also a 1.5 year project took instead 4 years. And the cow wife had the audacity to often hang over the fence and ask why it was taking so long and how much longer did they have to put up with looking at a building site? Well. Hubby is a gardener amongst all his other talents so he planted palm trees and other natives that quickly grew and grew and now their house is completely obliterated from our view from the backyard and they no longer have a view over our house. Oopsie

Congratulations on the good FD Quacka, mine was too. I didn’t weigh this morning but will do tomorrow or Thursday. Fingers crossed!

I’m working from home and just watched Harry and Meghan greet Daphne, the 98 year old war widow who has met Harry twice before and they spent ages with her and she didn’t want to let go of their hands. Have a few tears flowing, it’s so lovely to watch

Good luck with your FD Suz

Cinque – interesting information about Konjac. I’d never heard of it before so I googled it and did you know is also known as konjaku, konnyaku potato, devil’s tongue, voodoo lily, snake palm, or elephant yam.

Better get back to work…have a great rest of the day everyone

Lindsay, very glad to hear from you but so sorry things aren’t going as well as we all hoped. How distressing for you both. I’m so hoping Mr L. gets a good outcome and that this is just a post-surgical hiccup.

In light of this, my earlier rant seems ridiculous. I saw Quacka’s post first though and, because I’m perverse, I did read your snake story Quacka (appreciated the warning though). You are a very great story teller. It really made me laugh imagining those neighbours.

CalifD, your post crossed with mine. You have also made me laugh with the notion of snake pellets. Can you get them on Amazon? What about neighbour repellent?

Anzac, your post also arrived while I was writing. You have also made me laugh this morning. I bet you and OH are so quiet in your pool that no-one even knows you have one. And what rude neighbours! One of my friends in our street has a large, established right at the back of their property. Their neighbour over the back put in a spa right at the fence light and regularly shouts over the fence, “Oi, when are ya’ gonna’ trim yer tree, mate?”. It’s the “oi” greeting that makes me laugh whenever she tells that story. I have so many wonderful neighbours in my street who have become good friends.

Here is a picture of the fence separating us from the nasty neighbours at the back
    https://imgur.com/a/6MeCTt2

Note the blue sky…it has finally stopped raining! More coming apparently but we were able to finally get some washing on the line as well as wash Maxx’s overdue bedding and get it on the line to dry and the house isn’t looking like a Chinese laundry any more 🙂

Anzac, brilliant. Goodbye neighbours! And beautiful. Very talented Mr Anzac. See reply above yours. “Cow wife” was so funny.

Anzac, I love all those palms and tropical plants at your back fence. It’s a jungle back there! It looks like a resort.
    I just watched some videos of Harry and Meghan and it looks like it turned into a lovely sunny day after all. So sweet that they gave her baby Ugg boots and and a stuffed kangaroo with a Joey in her pouch. Very appropriate gifts, huh? Such happy news for their Australian tour.

Thin, plant a row of Italian Cypress trees behind the ones they trimmed back. https://www.fast-growing-trees.com/ItalianCypress.htm Planted close together they form a wall. 😁
    Do they sell them on Amazon? Silly question. 😆 Snake-away at your service. https://www.amazon.com/Snake-Way-Snake-Repelling-Granules/dp/B0042XAOJI/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1539658350&sr=8-5&keywords=Snake+pellets

Awwww was hoping it was a link to the neighbour repellants!!!

You girls are cracking me up today. CalifD, honestly, I thought you were kidding about the snake-be-gone. You and OH (mine, not yours) must think alike. While I was busy painting the front wall, he went to Bunnings (our hardware store) and popped in to their garden centre to pick up some lilly pilly trees for just that purpose. They grow 2m per year, form a thick hedge and have the nickname, ‘goodbye neighbours’. To be fair though, he did also significantly trim our mature bay leaf tree today (at the tenants’ request because the bay leaves apparently fall into their BBQ!) but pruning this one won’t deliver more sunshine to their pool. You can’t please some people – I’d be happy if I had readily available herbs falling onto my food.

Quacka, don’t worry, CalifD will soon be posting Amazon’s neighbour repellent link. I have faith in her.

Lol I now have the inspiration and the ability to post some great photos of our lilli pillis and also our (stupid) neighbours Norfolk pine tree. Yes, you read that right. A Norfolk pine in a back yard ***$#@“**…….
    Apparently it was a Christmas present ( a tree in a pot) that they planted and is already huge!
    Did I mention anything about stupidity??

Going photo taking tomorrow 😉 😉

7:22pm, Tues Adelaide

Hi all, I’m a bit late checking in today and as usual you’ve been a chatty lot – I have a bit to catch up on. Multiple doctors appointments kept me out of the house for much of the day – and some overdue grocery shopping. (Running out of milk for cups of tea is the one thing that will force me to the supermarket!)

Lindsay, thankyou for letting us know how your husband is going. I hope it’s just more time to heal that he needs and that his sight will improve.

Thin, I’d have thought fresh bay leaves on the barbie would be an advantage – goes beautifully with lamb!

Quacka, so pleased that your Monday FD went so well after your difficulties last week.

Suz, I hope you’ve had an easy FD today.

Cali, You have to be making that up! I can’t believe snake repelling granules even exist, let alone are sold on Amazon. No wonder Sears filed for bankruptcy today – I bet they didn’t sell snake repelling granules! 😀
    As to the baby gifts that were given to Meghan and Harry – I expect there will be an avalanche of such gifts every time they show up in public now.

Anzac, your effort to screen out those unhelpful neighbours have been rather successful. It reminds me I need to decide what shrubs to plant along my back fence. Luckily the lady over the fence is a lovely neighbour, but I want to screen out some of the western sun and the fence.

Cinque, thankyou for the sorrel soup recipe. I will try it once my sorrel plant has grown a bit – the leaves are all pretty tiny at present. Fine as garnish but not up to much else yet. I actually think this could be ok calorie wise for a FD as long as I use a small potato. I can also imagine this soup working as described and also pureed.
    I also saw the Diet Testers last night. I spent half the episode trying to figure out if it was new or a rerun. As I couldn’t remember the konjac segment I decided it was probably new.

On the subject of konjac and the Slendier brand that we are all familiar with I found some new products at Foodland (an independent supermarket in SA) today.
    https://imgur.com/a/xSX4qyi These are Zero brand konjac noodles – a bigger packet than Slendier brand for a lower price. This is 400g (250g drained), so 2 generous serves per pack, and it cost $3.39.
    https://imgur.com/a/o8uyC0P This is a new Slendier brand product – dry pasta made from legume flours. They have 2 styles (spaghetti and fettuccine) and 3 different legumes flours (black bean, edamame and soy). As far as processed foods go the list of ingredients is reassuring – legume flour and water.
    There are two main differences between this and pasta made from grain flours: This pasta contains only legume flours and water. Normal pasta isn’t made with water all the moisture in the dough usually comes from eggs. Which probably leads to the other main difference – the calorie count is about one third of normal wheat flour pasta. Compared to normal pasta however this is a pricy product at $4.99 for just 200g.
    I have used legume pastas before and I do like them, but I haven’t come across one with such a low calorie count before.
    Once I have a chance to use these products I’ll let you know what they taste like.

Hello to anyone else reading who I’ve missed responding to.

Today was a NFD for me and I have definitely eaten too much. Only 3 meals with no snacks but given that some of that eating was done in a shopping centre I didn’t make great choices. I have decided to do another NFD tomorrow so that I have another chance to do better – the repentance I feel the day after I’ve overeaten usually helps me behave well. Then I’ll do my FD on Thursday – I don’t need to feel repentant to do that properly.

Have a good evening everyone.

Quacka, some great FD amusement for you. And me!

Hello LJ, thanks for that legume pasta link and the zero noodles. Both look interesting.

Thin, Happy that you didn’t doubt that I could find a neighbor repellent on Amazon. Whenever the shrieks from the pool get too unbearable, one short blast from this baby ought to get the idea across that they might want to tone it down: https://www.amazon.com/Sabre-Compact-Sport-Safety-Audible/dp/B01AT3RFXW/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1539710840&sr=8-6&keywords=Air+horn 😼

Back a couple pages ago, I think it was thin or LJ who asked me how Pizza night was going without the dairy cheese. I got that sliceable vegan cheese to where I thought it was perfectly acceptable on a pizza (or crackers) but OH and DS weren’t convinced. So rather than ordering 2 pizzas, one without cheese for me, I decided to just give in and eat the cheese. (We get pizza from a take and bake place.) But I still plan to make that “cheese” to use on other things because I like it. Here’s the page with the recipe in case anyone is interested: https://lovingitvegan.com/sliceable-cashew-cheese/

I do want to cut back on animal products in our meals and will be using them more like a condiment or add-on in most cases. I also make a lot of plant based meals. I found this salad on Pinterest today and thought it looked so pretty, and has some healthy ingredients like Brussels sprouts and quinoa. It would be easy to cut down on the amount of dried cranberries and nuts. I’m thinking of adding some sliced persimmons which are in season here now, and maybe orange segments to give it a fall look. I hate measuring and breaking down ingredients for FD meals but it could probably be adapted quite easily. OH isn’t a big Brussels sprout fan, but if they’re disguised a little, he usually will eat them. I have a recipe for Thanksgiving that has them halved and sautĂ©ed with olive oil or butter and caraway seeds that he likes. Anyway, here’s the recipe page. See what you think:
    https://www.gimmesomeoven.com/brussels-sprouts-cranberry-quinoa-salad-recipe/

Good morning, all!

Thanks for all the good wishes on my FD yesterday–happy to report that it went well. Another one for the books.

So much here: snake repellant, neighbour repellant, more slendier products, sorrel, and a salad recipe that looks YUM. Thanks, Cali, for some salad inspiration. This forum is a goldmine!

Lindsay. continuing to hope that there is improvement in Mr. L’s health–and in the wellbeing of both of you. Do be kind to yourself today.

Wishing everyone well!

Good morning, back to grey drizzly skies in Sydney today. Quite warm and humid though (proven by my crazy hair today! It hates humidity)

I hope both you and your hubby are ok Lindsay

HA HA HA – neighbour repellent! Love it

Cali – I’m with your OH on brussel sprouts. Ick I’m afraid – even disguised!

Thin, how annoying those shrieks from the pool must be. We are pretty quiet I hope, just maybe some laughs as my hubby can be very funny and makes me laugh a lot. We also have an outdoor tv that we can watch from the pool but we don’t put the volume up too loud. Having the telly is a bit shocking, I know, but we love to watch cricket in the summer whilst lazing in the pool.

Suz, well done on your FD. Hope you have a great NFD today (unless you are doing B2B?)

LJ – sorry to hear you had multiple doctors appointments and don’t worry about some bad choices whilst out and about. It is very easy to do when the preparation of a meal is out of your control. Have a good NFD today as you said and all will be well

A Norfolk pine Quacka? Sorry that is insanely stupid.

FD today for me. I was doing so well yesterday on my NFD but then did some non-mindful snacking. Still under my TDEE but I really wanted to have a much more sensible day. The scales were down 300g today but I am officially weighing on Thursdays which, for now, is the day after my second FD.

My elderly father is currently visiting friends in the country but when he is in Sydney he always comes for dinner on Monday nights so that means I can’t really do a FD on Monday. Dad is almost 93 and still living independently and still driving but my sister and I cook his meals for him. She lives in the Blue Mountains so can’t get down to see him as often as OH and I(we only live 10-15 minutes away). Anyway when he is back my FD’s will move to Tuesday/Thursday then.

Take care all

Good morning, grey and wet in Melbourne this morning.

Lindsay, thanks so much for taking the time to post. It must be such a worry at the moment, and so hard and frustrating for Mr Lindsay to do anything. I’ve lit another three candles for hope and healing this morning.

LJoyce, I think that sorrel soup was originally pureed, but i found I liked in better not.
    Cali, I was so excited to find sorrel as I grew up loving the weed we called sour grass (an oxalis I’ve just discovered is known as ‘common yellow wood sorrel’). Green and lemony! We also have another little wild sorrel that grows as a weed, but I didn’t know about it until after I got my pot of French sorrel.

Anzac, all those names for konjac! (LJoyce, I had to work out if that show was a repeat or not too. So glad it wasn’t).

Thin, lilly pilly’s are perfect. I love the fruit so I hope they aren’t ornamental, but have pinky purple fruit to rain down on the BBQ and pool. Any complaints and you can give them a recipe for lilly pilly jelly!

LJoyce, I hope your big day out yesterday didn’t knock you too much But at least you have milk for your tea!

Happy day after fast day Suz. You have passed the baton to me. Wednesday Fast Days are becoming entrenched for me. I am heading out of town to see my dear friend who is struggling with her health at the moment. It was she who started me on 5:2 so it is easy to tell her it is a Fast Day, and we will have a coffee together.

The program on ME/CFS on Insight last night was really good. Did you catch it Merry? It did remind me how my health has improved since the hard years when my daughter was little. I’ve been frustrated lately that I am not able to do more, but deep breath Cinque. So grateful that I can do what I can.

I could see my seedlings growing yesterday, in the warm and rain, I think they are twice the size they were yesterday morning.

Hope you have a lovely day everyone. Fasting, not fasting, enjoying every mouthful of what you decide to eat, and every moment of what you decide to do.

Good morning all

Weight this morning 68.8kg. Today is my second non B2B FD for the week and again I am feeling really positive. I have some pickled cabbage, carrot, yellow capsicum and a few cherry tomatoes for lunch which I usually save until about 3pm. Hoping for a bit more down on the scales tomorrow but will also be happy if it the numbers are in the 68kgs somewhere. I am happy for the weight loss to be slow as I am always mindful of how long it took to put it on. I still look forward to hopefully being able to go into maintenance mode one day but we will see how that goes when I come to it.

LJ thanks for the info on the new slendier products. Will look out for them next time I am in the supermarket.

Also Cali, the salad looks very yummy and makes me want to make it very soon. The vegan cheese looks yummy too. I read a lot of the reviews for it and maybe I will give it a go purely because I like to try new things. Oh and I love cheese.

I have never eaten Brussel sprouts much as my mum would make this dinner when we were young which Dad loved and we all hated. It was like a braise or a stew and it had pork and Brussels in it and it really stunk! lol
    I have tried Brussels as I got older and still don’t like them just boiled. I have had them in a lovely warm salad before that has finely sliced Brussels (well the recipe says to pull of each individual leaf but as if I am going to waste time doing that!) bacon and onion all lightly fried and then dressed with a balsamic dressing. Its yummy.

Hope your FD goes well Anzac and also anyone else fasting today.

Lindsay still thinking of you and OH. Also Rainbow if you are still reading, hope you are doing better too.

If anyone else is unwell or just not feeling great let us know 🙂 We will try and find some more funny stories to cheer you up xx

Sunny, 29C, Perth

Cinque, I watched the Insight programme out of solidarity with you and Merry. When I’m whinging about less important things, you two often help put things into perspective (momentarily at least!) with your positive attitude despite the huge challenges life has given you. It was interesting to meet the sufferers, learn how they cope and to know that it is possible to recover for at least a small percentage of people. How frustrating that there’s no proper diagnosis or treatment. I’m pleased that you feel that you’ve improved since the onset. I’ll have to research that lilly pilly jelly. OH also came home with Swiss Chard seedlings so I’m looking forward to picking the leaves from that crop.

I’m joining you and Quacka for a FD. Hardly needs mentioning I suppose. Well done Quacka, so pleased that you’re back on track and feeling so much more positive than a week or so ago. I do love Brussel sprouts but they have to be cooked just right and it’s one of the few foods that I feel really needs salt. I’ve never thought of adding them to a salad.

CalifD, that salad looks lovely and would be a good diversion from standard salads. I like your idea that meat, when eaten, is not the main part of the meal. Thanks for the bear repellent link. You are too funny. OH could have done with some of that when he was attacked by a grizzly in Alaska.

Anzac, cheers to your wonderful Dad living alone at 93 with a bit of support from his kind daughters. Laughter and happy sounds coming from your side of the fence are unlikely to annoy anyone.

Suz, glad your FD went well. Another one under your belt. Yes, we do go on!

Lindsay, I don’t want to add pressure on you to post but, if you are reading, just wanted you to know I’m thinking of you and we’re all cheering Mr L. on for a good outcome.

Have a wonderful day all.

11:37am Wednesday, in an overcast Adelaide
    Hi everyone

Anyone going hunting for those noodle and pasta product I photographed – they were in the health food isle.

Cali, I hope you enjoy the pizza even with the cheese. I think using animal products as a garnish rather than the centre of the meal is a approach I also feel very comfortable with. The only product I’d struggle to cut back on is milk because I don’t like the plant substitutes in tea.
    That salad is so pretty, the cranberries look like little jewels. Not sure I can imagine using brussel sprouts though – not a favourite.

Quacka, I haven’t liked brussel sprouts since childhood either. I don’t like food with a bitter flavour and I remember brussel sprouts being bitter. I have since discovered that ifyou can pick them fresh and cook them within a few hours they are actually sweet rather than bitter. Not really an option unless you grow your own.
    Have you seen the kale-sprouts or kalettes in your local shops? They look like a brussel sprout with the “petals” opened. They are a new veg that is a cross between brussel sprouts and purple kale. You prepare them the same way as brussel sprouts but they aren’t bitter, they actually taste nice – they are very pretty too.

Suz, glad that your FD went so well. It sound like you’ve slipped into the 5:2 pattern quite seamlessly.

Cinque, I watched the Insight program and was quite horrified at how little is still known and the lack of useful treatments. It reminds me of the situation that RA was in 50 years ago. I had thought CFS was an auto-immune disease and was surprised that they still don’t know how it is triggered. I am also impressed with how well you and Merry do at living your lives given how bad this can be. It’s definitely time for some proper larger scale studies to be funded.

Anzac, hope the FD goes well. I am impressed at how independent your father still is. I also understand wanting to have a normal family meal on a Monday when he’s with you.
    When I was losing the bulk of my weight I’d take my dad out fortnightly for lunch and just order a veg salad. He’d get so stressed about the lack of “proper” food on my plate that he’d try to sneak bits of his own lunch onto my plate. I’d look down to see a chunk of battered fish next to my lettuce leaf.

Thin, lillypilly is also one of the shrubs I was thinking of for along the back fence. The only thing that had me concerned is that some types spread like weeds and I need to be sure the variety I choose isn’t one of those. I hope the shrubs do a good screening job for you.

Have a good FD Quacka, Thin, Anzac and Cinque – and anyone I’ve missed.

I still have no appetite so I’m hoping today will be a NFD of considered choices.

One of my closest friends had CFS in her twenties, so about 20 years ago. It took 7 years before she could have a normal life, her marriage broke up (not just for that reason) and she couldn’t work at all for about 5 years and then gradually did part time until she was better. She has never had good health and I suspect it was due to the CFS. Back then she was ridiculed for ‘having a holiday’ by certain inhuman disgraceful people and if it wasn’t for the fact that she is so mentally strong I think it could have ruined her whole life, rather than a chunk of it.

I’m gathering that you Cinque and Merry have or have-had CFS by the posts above? I’m very sorry as I have first-hand experience of just how awful it is.

Cinque- I thought the Insight program was so well balanced. Many people I know were very nervous that it might have been more slanted towards those who believe in “controlled exercise” & CBT to “cure” CFS. Dr Mark Donohue who treats many people with MCS, as well as CFS (sometimes they can overlap) was the voice of reason I thought. I’m hoping that one day there will be an Insight program on MCS. Jennifer Brockie & her team do such a good job of tackling so many different subjects.
    I’m still reading all of your posts & enjoying them & still doing 5:2.

Tuesday 11:55 pm. About 13C and clear

I made that salad with the sliced Brussels sprouts, dried cranberries, walnuts and quinoa tonight for dinner. OH and DS thought it was good. The dressing probably helped with the flavor. It was interesting that several of you thought Brussels sprouts tasted bitter. To me they don’t. But there are several other vegetables that people have referred to as bitter that never tasted that way to me, and that got me thinking and wondering if people have different taste perceptions. After some research, it turns out that they do, and some of that is genetic. But the food industry also breeds out or removes compounds that cause the bitter flavor to make the vegetables more palatable to more people. The problem is there some of those compounds are phytonutrients that protect against cancer and other conditions.

There is a really interesting study here from the The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition that goes into a lot of detail about this. It’s kind of dry, but interesting reading. I skimmed some parts, but never realized that what we think are unprocessed vegetables can be manipulated for taste and nutrients, just like so many processed foods. https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/article/72/6/1424/4729430

NFD today with too much snacking! I was at 59.4 this morning after yesterday’s FD, but I’ll probably be above 60 in the morning.

I like the name of that tree/bush, the Lilly Pilly. It sounds very Australian, just lopike the Coolibah tree. But then when I looked it up, I think that is the same variety of gum tree that we have in California, but we just refer to them as a Eucalyptus. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Lilly Pilly here but the temps would probably be okay for them. But it looks like they need a sandy loamy soil and it’s mostly clay around here. The berries are really pretty. And how nice that it goes so quickly.

I took too long to edit that last post. Please excuse the lack of proofreading. “how nice that it grows so quickly” among others. 😗

7:24am Thurs, in an overcast and drizzly Adelaide
    Good morning SHs,

Cali, that’s very interesting. I had heard that there were compounts that can make people more susceptible to tasting bitterness. The story I’d heard was about why some children don’t like the taste of veg like broccoli.
    To me broccoli isn’t bitter, the only three veg that are (to my taste buds) are endive, radicchio and brussel sprouts. I suspect there is probably just one compound that these 3 have that I’m sensitive to – I’m glad it isn’t more than this.

Hi Cate good to hear from you.

I’m expecting tradesmen here shortly to do some repairs to downpipes and gutters. Hence the early start.

FD for me today. My planned dinner is a cup of cauliflower soup and an omelette with spinach & tomato.
    Have a good day everyone.

5.30am Perth, 18C, thunderstorm forecast

Morning LJ, I wasn’t expecting any posts earlier than mine this morning as I’ve been up since 3.40am. So annoying. I fell asleep on the couch at 8.45pm so it’s not really surprising. I was feeling guilty about making coffee so early thinking I’m breaking my fast in the middle of the night!

You might remember that I suggested lilly pilly to you when you were still at your old house seeking a quick growing neighbour screen (from memory, they’d removed the dividing fence).

CalifD, thanks for the link. I’m not keen on having my food ‘messed with’ as CharliesMum described it. I love all the cruciferous vegetables and don’t find brussels bitter at all. I think of brussel sprouts, cauliflower and broccoli as anti-carcinogens and try to eat them often. I just looked up all the vegetables in the cruciferous category and hadn’t heard of arugula. Those kalettes sound nice but I wonder how much manipulation has occurred in that process.

CalifD, in Perth we have a huge city park called Kings’ Park which is very close to us. OH took me up there on his motor scooter yesterday afternoon when the neighbours were going off in the pool. It’s so serene and beautiful and has always reminded us of Balboa Park in San Diego. Although the latter has a lot of palm trees, much of the flora that grows is the same – and also grows in Southern Africa.

Yesterday must have been the easiest FD I have ever experienced. I even went grocery shopping and didn’t think about eating all day. I was very busy all day so that helps.

I hope all those fasting today have an equally easy time.

Good morning everyone,
    Wet and grey again here, but not too cold.

Making my morning-after-Fast-Day breakfast. Happiness.

Quacka, I hope your second-non-B2B-Fast-Day went well! (The hyphens are getting a work out this morning!)

Cali, a lovely salad!
    I would definitely substitute something else for the cranberries. It was cranberries that made me link sugar with how terrible I was feeling. When I looked them up and found they are usually soaked in a sugar solution to counteract their sourness, it made sense that they made me feel so sick. I’d better substitute fresh raspberries. (I am a Brussel’s sprouts lover).

I just realised that lillipillies would be a good substitute (although their pesky seed might make it tricky. They are an indigenous plant and lillypilly is from the indigenous word. They are of the myrtle family, not eucalypts. But watch out: they might become a weed over there just the same! Different ones taste sweeter or more mouth puckering. Lots of pectin I think.

LJoyce, that tale of your dad is the sweetest example of undermining someone losing weight!

Thin and LJoyce and Anzac and Cate, thankyou for your solidarity with us CFS sufferers. It is such a frustrating syndrome.
    Anzac, yes, Merry and I have both had it for a long time. Hence our relief that 5:2 works even when our lives are very sedentary. I think the hardest thing is that overdoing it makes everything worse, and so the ‘just do it’ and ‘push through’ and ‘soldier on’ ideas that are in our heads are counter productive.
    Awful to hear of your friend, it is too common and we have all been judged in that way. But as you say, hooray for her mental strength and making what she can of her health limitations.

I am beginning to realise how coming to terms with CFS when younger might be very useful as I face all the things that tend to go wrong as we get older. Sigh. I hadn’t quite understood the reality of health issues when aging and how, as we get more and more doddery, we have to face more and more assaults on health and our lives. And our dear friends. And without the strength and resilience of youth. Hooray for wisdom and experience (even if it is just a morsel).

Cate, you are right about Multiple Chemical Sensitivities. It needs to be better known and better understood. It might be the most invisible illness of all as you are shut out of so much of society by the perfumes and sprays and varnishes etc that are everywhere.
    I was afraid I was getting it. When my health was worst I couldn’t go near the laundry aisle in the supermarket. Luckily as I learned to manage my symptoms, it was one thing that lessened and pretty well disappeared. But I do know several people who have CFS and MCS severely.

Lindsay, I am keeping the candles going.

Well, I wonder what things I will be able to tick off my great big list of Things To Do today. I’ll go make a coffee and consider.

Best wishes to everyone. I hope today brings good decisions and a nice spontaneity, and some good news and relief.

Good morning, everyone!

Don’t you wish we could all sit in a circle and have a good face-to-face convo? I always want to respond to everyone, but I find that as I get to the end of the posts, I don’t remember who said what!

I DO remember those with CFS, though, and want to add my words of support. Wishing you kindness and understanding from those around you.

Peace to all.

Good morning, drizzle is clearing in Sydney and the humidity (and mozzies) have descended. Here comes summer

Yesterday wasn’t my best FD but certainly not my worst. I felt light-headed in the late afternoon and had already had my fruit so I had a few dry crackers and felt better. So that tipped me just over 600 calories but I’m not too bothered as I have a lot to lose so I don’t think it will be too bad.

Official weigh-in day and I’m down 900g! yay! So a total loss of 2.7 in 4 weeks.

Thin – I believe arugula is what we call rocket here. Sorry to hear you woke up so early.

LJoyce – how funny that your Dad used to try and sneak food to you. It’s just a way to show how much he cared

Cali – very interesting that people have different taste perceptions. I have always hated various vegetables and I thought it was because I was made to eat them growing up. But perhaps I am genetically geared towards disliking the taste? Hmmm

Anyway, must get back to work. Have a great day everyone 🙂

Two crossover posts! Good morning Suz and Cinque

Cinque I couldn’t believe how my vivacious, active friend turned into someone who couldn’t get out of bed most days. I truly feel for you and Merry and I am so glad you have been able to find a WOL/WOE that works for you.

Good morning everyone

Day after FD for me today and I am pleased to say that it was a successful one again! I feel really good this morning and my weight was 68.1kg which is nice too. Strangely I have woken up not hungry (but I don’t know why I find it strange as that is how it was after FDs before I started doing B2B) I am having an almond milk coffee from the bacon cooking cafe next door and I am loving it. So glad there are no bacon smells today though 🙂

Very interesting regarding the bitterness of vegetables and how we all taste things differently. I know that our taste buds do change as we get older and so things we didn’t like when young, we may like now we are older. This is true of several vegetables for me. I love veggies of all kinds now and I seriously do actually love them and not just because they are good for me (and low cal). I am wondering if also it is because we can prepare them how we like them.

An example is my OH. When I met him he wouldn’t eat broccoli, or potato and pumpkin mashed together, zucchini, mushrooms and various other things. Basically potato,carrot and peas were his veggies. He loves mushrooms now, he makes mashed potato and pumpkin together when he is making dinner and he eats broccoli. I trained him with the broccoli by serving it with a squeeze of lemon juice over it as that is how we ate it as children. He will eat zucchini if I make it into fritters. He loves mushroom sauce with his steak. Although I made my zoodles last night and the centre part I chopped up into fine little cubes and put them into the bologanise sauce, hoping they would break down and he wouldn’t see them! He noticed them straight away lol but he still ate it!!
    Eggplant was one of his worst vegetables and he loves it now as long as I crumb it and fry it (not the healthiest preparation and so I make it rarely). He will also eat zucchini chips crumbed and baked in the oven.

Argh I have waffled on a fair bit, sorry 🙂

Cinque, I didn’t know you have CFS. You are amazing 🙂 You too Merry. I really love that you have found this WOE and it works for you. Actually I love that we all have found 5:2 and it works.

Hope everyone has a really great day and I hope your FD LJoyce (and anyone else on a Thursday fast) goes really easy. x

9:14am Adelaide

Good morning Anzac, Suz, Cinque & Thin
    I’m still waiting for the tradesmen to arrive – they aid they’d be here between 7:30-8:00am. Apparently none of them own a watch!

Cinque, it is possible to find dried cranberries without the added sugar, but not in the supermarkets. I have seen them in a Ditters Nuts store.

Anzac, congrats on the weight loss. It’s nice when a FD actually does what you expect. I wouldn’t worry about going to 600 as DrMM has said that up to 800 is OK if it meas your can stick to the FDs.

Thin, yes I do remember the lilly pilly recommendation. I did end up getting two of them and putting them a pair of huge pots for the staging – I used them to frame the front porch. In this house, they are on my back verandah.
    I wouldn’t feel guilty about your early coffee. I’m already onto my second pot of tea.

Suz, yes I do often wish we could all get together for good long chat. I think it’s mostly the Perth contingent that manage that.

Quacka – a crossed post! Well done on the weight loss. Glad to hear you are resisting bacon this morning.

Anza and Quacka, congrats on your weight loss. A little each week will add up to a lot by the end of the year.

I haven’t seen roasted kale sprouts in he stores around here but I haven’t really looked for them. Here are some great photos and serving suggestions: https://www.davidlebovitz.com/roasted-kale-sprouts-kalettes-recipe/ I’ll have to try a couple other stores.

Cinque, I usually prefer dried cranberries without the sugar too, but it’s hard to find them because most people think they’re too sour. Sometimes the sweetness is good on a salad. But balsamic vinegar adds enough sweetness for certain dressings.

We have a crepe myrtle tree in our garden that I thought might be related to the lilly pilly tree, but it appears not to be. Ours has dark pink flowers but no fruit. It doesn’t grow very fast either and it’s deciduous.

The greens that taste bitter to me are arugula, endive, mustard greens, and radicchio. I like all 3 of them when mixed with other greens or mustard greens when sautĂ©ed. Curly endive is great mixed with crumbled bacon, vinegar and oil. (Or a bit of the bacon grease after wilting it a bit in the same pan). I can no longer look at arugula and not think of Obama. 😁 https://newrepublic.com/article/117504/obama-failed-foodies

Hi, LJ 🙂
    Hi, Cinque. I think MCS & CFS overlap fairly often. Do you know if any of the people you know with both are members of AESSRA? It’s a very supportive & informative association. I know how badly I felt in March when I had a major reaction to fragrance. I would hate to think how that would feel on a long-term basis. I wear a mask in the supermarket now, but even with that on I itch like crazy for a day afterwards & am very tired. It’s great that 5:2 is so beneficial to you for weight-loss & your health in general, I would think.
    NFD today for me, but only eating in moderation.

Viewing 50 posts - 17,701 through 17,750 (of 28,008 total)

You must be logged in to reply.