Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,903 replies, has 831 voices, and was last updated by  Anzac65 6 hours, 34 minutes ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 17,651 through 17,700 (of 28,007 total)

• Thursday 9:15am sunny cool day in CA

Minka, I can view that MM video here! I don’t have time to watch it right now but will later today. Thank you so much for posting the link! Most of the programs from abc don’t work here, even though I registered on their website.
    I did the monthly challenges for many months and found them helpful, but I spend so much time posting here that I didn’t have time to keep up with both. And I got to know the people here better because it’s a smaller group.

LJ, your new blinds for the veranda look great and just in time for summer. You are really moving ahead with getting everything finished on your new home. Are all of your window coverings in place now?

Lindsay, it’s good to hear that your OH is in good spirits. Sometimes that’s half the battle. Fingers crossed that his doctor’s report is positive. I’ll be checking back here to see how he’s doing. Tell him to be meticulous about prescribed eyedrops. My aunt had what sounds like a similar surgery a few years ago and decided that the eyedrops were too thick and obstructed her vision for too long after using them, so she stopped or didn’t use them as often. Within a couple years she had many more problems. The drops were important even though they seemed like a nuisance at the time.

Quacka, I felt kind of crook yesterday and the day before. Maybe it’s something going around on this thread. 😏 It did result in a better NFD and My weight was down this morning. (Along with my BP) So starting my Thursday FD at a good weight.

Hope everyone is having a good morning. I’’m keeping acwatch on the world as you sleep and will check in later.

Here are some of my Halloween decorations. We keep the fall garland and lights up until after a Thanksgiving which is around the end of November: https://imgur.com/a/8EBHPos

Good morning, all! Great to hear all the news from everyone yesterday, though I’ll admit to feeling a bit like I’ve barged in on a conversation . . . appreciate the warm welcome from what appears to be a strong community here. I look forward to getting to know your stories.

Off to my aqua aerobics class in just a bit, but I wanted to check in with greetings–and to let you know that thinking about this forum was truly helpful during my FD yesterday. Thanks so much!

It looks to be a gorgeous Friday in Melbourne. Hope it’s beautiful where you are, too!

Cheers!

Goodmorning everyone,
    Suz, isn’t it a beautiful morning here in Melbourne.

Rainbow, hoping it is okay where you are. In Florida. (My brain, sigh, it hadn’t put it together yesterday). Sending good wishes to you and everyone around you.

Suz, so glad you had a good FD. I think it can be a bit intimidating coming in here when we are in full flight, but know you are SO welcome, and just ask us to explain anything that is too bewildering.

Just when you think you know us all, someone will pop in like Minka, who has been a longterm poster here, but a busy life means she can only pop in occasionally. (And we get all excited to hear from her).

Cate, I understand what hard work chairing a feisty meeting is, and what an important job it is. Congratulations! And I do know how you need to wind down after.

Woohoo Greece!

LJoyce, Your guests were thrice blessed by us too, as it is lovely to have you back. I’m so sorry that lung infection is still hanging on. I hope the new packet hits it quickly.
    Enjoy getting back to your good food routines.
    Those blinds look just wonderful! What a lovely airy, sheltered space it is now.

Lindsay I do hope the surgeon is pleased today, My fingers are crossed for Mr Lindsay. Haha re the dentist.

Quacka, I hope you are feeling better this morning.

Minka, I enjoyed that ‘One to One’ episode with Dr Mosley too. And I also really enjoyed this radio one: http://www.abc.net.au/radio/programs/conversations/conversations-michael-mosley/9867346 it is nearly an hour, so you mightn’t have the time, but just in case. If I remember rightly, he talks about how he came to write the Blood Sugar Diet.

So fascinating to read about the mindfulness exercises you are doing too. If the effects of it impact on your eating through the rest of the week, that is really important and something I would like to try.

Thanks so much for the feedback about my kvass. I have just made another batch with a couple of cloves in it. Yum. The second ferment was good (I do only put a small abount of brine for that one), I decanted it yesterday and roasted the beets (as well as some carrots) and they were SO delicious with my meal yesterday (that cabbage gratin, which is just ok) and plenty more in a container in the fridge.

Cali your Halloween decorations look gorgeous. Congratulations on a lower weight and a steady BP, I hope you feel wonderfully well now.

The biggest thing that messes with my mind if I move my Fast Day from Thursday to Wednesday is that Friday becomes my ‘lull day’ (the day with no Fast Day before it or after it) instead of Tuesday. And, for some reason, that lull day is important to me in the rhythm of the week, and I miss my Tuesday lull day, However, it’s Friday, and I am loving my Friday lull day today so maybe I’ve finally got my head around it!

Hah, who’d live in my brain.

Oh well there you go. Cheers everyone, best wishes for a lovely day. And I am so hoping that Rainbow pops in to let us know she is okay.

Perth, drizzle, 21C

Working backwards in my responses today because revisiting a previous page is always dodgy when you’re mid-post.

Cinque, I’m so pleased that your morning posts have returned. No pressure. Friday was your original lull day. No pressure there either but there’s something comforting and stable about your FDs still being the same as mine when everything else on this forum is dynamic. What happens on a lull day?

Suz, it’s good that your FDs are going swimmingly with the help of our thread. Ask us anything! We know everything. Not really, but we do have a strong 5:2 corporate knowledge base here.

CalifD, love your Halloween decs. Is that column on a front veranda or in an internal room in the house? I meant to say the other day that I finally got back to below 60kg again. Let’s see how long it takes me to sabotage that result. We are in a routine of eating less meat now and I think that helps. Last night OH had a pork chop (sounds horrible to me now) and DD and I had grilled haloumi. The latter is high in cals but we don’t eat much.

So, the rest is from memory:

Lindsay, thanks for checking in with a Mr L. update. What a nerve-racking wait for you both. Since he has such a great sense of humour, I think you and the ophthalmologist should both be standing there naked when the bandages are removed.

Cate, Greece, well there’s a great incentive to get the kilos off.

Quacka, looking forward to hearing how you’re feeling this morning (wrt your fast yesterday) and what plans you have for the weekend’s consumption.

Minka, always good to see your posts. Good that Mr M. is taking such an active interest. Dr M. changed my life. I’m grateful to him for providing this website. I seem to be reporting spammers on a weekly basis now and wish they’d leave us alone but JJ is diligent in removing them.

LJ, I like your blinds. Friends of ours did a similar thing to enclose their patio some years ago. They’ve always called it the bird cage since then. It’s essentially given them an extra room and they usually entertain guests out there where we can enjoy fly and mossie-free dining. Thanks for the congrats on coming first at bridge – just in time to coincide with our results of coming last yesterday!

Well, the OFMs are rising and I have spent far too long here. I hope I didn’t miss anyone.

Hello from a still drizzly Sydney! After barely any rain for 8 or 9 months, it hasn’t stopped for over a week. It is cold too; a delayed winter perhaps? Either way I am tired of the rain and the damp dog smell in the house and my poor muddy haired-up car!

Busy at work today so another short post. I have enjoyed skimming through everyone’s posts and will have a big catch up on the weekend. One call out to Lindsay – everything is crossed for your hubby

The scales still haven’t moved and I’m really disappointed. I am going to track what I eat on NFD for a few days as I think my estimates are somewhat wrong.

Have a great day

Okay–gotta tell someone, and I’m not ready to confess this to my OH . . . he’ll see it soon enough when he comes home from work.

Just had a crazy accident while doing housework. OH has some shave gear up on a shelf in the bathroom, and as I was wiping down the shelf a fairly substantial jar of shave cream flew off, bounced against the wall (leaving a big ding), then ricocheted to hit the toilet bowl and take a BIG chunk out of the porcelain. Not the rim, mind you, but sort of in the middle area of the bowl. There’s now a big, gaping hole.

Honestly, I couldn’t have done that if I’d been trying. I’m still a bit stunned. Glad it hit the toilet and not me, though; I think it would have knocked me out.

Adventures in Domestic Life!! Time to head to the Bunnings website and price toilets. sigh.

Thursday night, almost the end of my FD.

Suz, it’s your OH’s fault for buying jars of shave cream that are too large. 😁 What a weird thing to have happen. Hopefully the wall can be easily fixed. It sounds like the toilet will have to be replaced. They are actually pretty easy to replace. We’ve done 3 ourselves. Thank goodness the jar didn’t hit you on the head!

Lindsay, I hope your OH is doing well tonight and that some of the stress is disappearing for both of you.

Thin, that column leads to an indoor room, the living room to the left and the dining room is to the right of it. The staircase is nice for decorating but that 2 story entryway is where all the heat goes in the winter. The open floor plan downstairs loses all its heat to it. We don’t have to turn on the heat upstairs. It’s really not very efficient in an area where heating costs are high.

Cinque, good to see your morning posts again. And thank you for your kind words about the decorations. The lights brighten the house as the fall days are getting shorter. (We’re sending the longer days down to you.) I bought the Kindle copy of that Leigh Sales book, “Any Ordinary Day”. It sounded so interesting from the interview link you posted the other day.

Rainbow, I hope everything is ok down by you with the hurricane and storms. I wonder if you lost electricity?

Anzac, counting calories for just a few NFDs can give you an idea where calories are sneaking it, if that’s the case. Or it could just be a plateau. Those happen. They pass.

Suz, feel free to join in any and all of the conversations here. As you’ve probably noticed, we talk about everything under the sun. (Or in the rain!)

My FD went really easy today. I managed to get in about 8000 steps so far. I’m hoping that will help with the BP. It doesn’t really make much difference with weight though.

3:05pm Fri, from a mild but cloudy Adelaide

I’ve had a slow start to the day. The lung infection now also includes a sore throat, head cold, headache and hacking cough. I’ve been feeling a bit worse for wear today.

Quacka, glad to hear you had a better FD. I hope this is a sign of things to come.
    I remembered some advice Thin had when I started that I also found useful.
    When planning your FD, don’t allocate 500cal – keep some in reserve just in case. I think Thin had a boiled stashed away just in case. I kept enough calories for a hot milk drink, in case I had trouble sleeping. I often didn’t need it, but felt less stressed knowing I could. Having those calories in reserve can help you deal with an unusually hungry time without having to abandon a FD.

Suz, you know they say the truth is stranger than fiction! There is a solution to knocking things off shelves – ban dusting!
    If you can’t find what you need at Bunnings I’d suggest Reece (not sure if they have stores in your state). After a bathroom, kitchen & laundry reno in the last house I tried all suppliers and they seemed to have the best range with better customer support.

Cali, as usual you have outdone yourself with holiday decorations. I am grateful that my house has no internal steps, but your light wrapped staircase had me wistfully wishing for an upper floor.
    I hope you get your BP stabilised soon. It seems that you’ve been battling this for quite a while now, along wit the BP medication issues. I’m sure a period of calm and a nice stable BP is about due.
    Cali, I’m hoping that’s all the blinds I need for the house – this summer will be the true test of whether I have enough as I’ve chosen not to put them on windows where I don’t think they are essential. Although I did contact the blind installers this morning and order a flashing for the outdoor blinds. This is a metal pelmet that goes behind the roller. I had hoped not to need these but there’s a tiny gap between the top of the roller and the timber support for the verandah that lets an annoying shaft of afternoon sun into the kitchen.

Anzac, I hope your NFD tracking helps. I found I needed to make some adjustments to my NFDs to keep losing weight as I was eating more than my TDEE. I had to change some foods and my serving sizes.

Thin, The thing I hate about eating outdoors is the bugs. I’ve always loved that American idea of a screened porch. When my new blinds are down they do have a tiny gap at floor level, but hopefully they will keep most bugs out.
    Sorry about the Bridge loss – I suspect it’s a reminder that any card game is as much about the cards that chance deals you, as it is about skill and determination. (Actually I think that’s also a life lesson.)

Cinque, glad you are still enjoying making your beetroot kvass. I haven’t been tempted to make it as I don’t like beetroot and I don’t even think cloves would change my mind. I’m sure it would make a very pretty drink though.

Minka, I got a bit confused between MrM and DrM in your post. I had to read your post twice before I realised you didn’t have DrMM sitting on your sofa! I think this respiratory infection is messing with my brain cells!

Rainbow and Lindsay, wishing you both well.
    Hello to anyone else who’s reading and not posting.
    Have a nice afternoon, hope you all have some interesting weekend plans. Mine will be quiet as none of my family and friend want my germs!

Hi Southern Hemispherites! or should I say ‘Southern Hemispherites!! for fun and make others’ eyes roll with the reminder of that unnecessary extra exclamation mark in our group name! Tee, hee!

I do have to chuckle about one thing Dr. M said in his ‘One Plus One’ interview! He said of all his efforts, the movement he started around Blood Sugar Diet is the one he’s most proud of. Upon hearing this, I immediately felt like an envious older sibling whose ‘dad’ is more proud of the baby of the family which so happens to be in the form of the Blood Sugar Diet crowd!

Cali, that’s fantastic that you were able to access the ‘One Plus One’ interview with Dr. M! I’m happily surprised that you were able to watch too! Yes, well, I’m not so good at posting here or in the challenge group and I even felt sheepish for how little I posted in September; another reason to give the October challenge a miss.

Thin, I remember when I was around more, how many spammers I too would come across and report to JJ. I haven’t been looking to see if the usual strange ‘cheap kitchens’ were still spamming away by starting new threads!?!? I remember how relentless those were a couple years ago! …Yes, we are so lucky that Dr. M continues to fund this forum.

Cinque, thank you for providing the extra link to the ‘Conversations’ interview on ABC radio! I will download, place on USB stick so I can take Dr. M and Richard Fidler with me in the car as I go along my day!

LJ, …yes, I can understand getting the two mixed up! How wonderful it would be though to for me to host Dr. M in our home and be able to sit with him on a couch to be able to ask him some specific questions. In fact after watching the ‘One Plus One’ interview, I thought of a question I wanted to ask, though can’t remember what it is just at this moment… it’s been a long day! …Sorry to read of your infection and hope it clears soon.

…My long day started when I left the house at 8:00 am and arrived back home from work at 7 pm and I’m fasting today. …Though I’m very tired, thank goodness my hunger and craving levels have been fine. However, I do feel a bit brain dead. I work again tomorrow, Saturday. I might have said I have Sundays and Thursdays off. The rare two days off in a row is a rare gift only afforded by the odd holiday that lands on a Monday. I’m also grateful that I love the work I do. I was asked to work this past Thursday which would have meant a 6 day work week. I declined, citing burn out. The roster lady said, she knew it was a long shot but thought it couldn’t hurt to try, since we are currently short staffed. In any case, I’m not completely overdoing. I know my limits.

Suz, glad the shaving cream didn’t injure you!

Anzac, Good for you for tracking NFD foods. That is something I’ve aspired to for a very long time. The few times I have tracked all NFD foods consumed was very helpful and I leaned toward reaching what I call my ‘maintenance goal’ which is to be able to consistently pull of only fasting one day a week instead of two!

I reached my weight loss goal by shedding 10 kg in the first 3 months of practicing 5:2 and during the intervening 2 years since reaching goal weight I’ve yet to reach my desired ‘maintenance goal’ of being able to move onto practicing 6:1. This is because as soon as I reached goal weight, I inadvertently began eating more! Tracking my weight since reaching goal weight I see that during every NFD period, I simply eat my way back up to an impending need for that critical second extra FD per week! When I speak disappointingly about this to Mr. M, he simply says ‘Well, that’s why you practice 5:2, so you can indulge in those extra treat, so what’s the problem!?!?’ In any case, I’m continuing with the mindful eating, since that is the only thing that I’ve come across that has felt to make any lasting difference in the soundness of the quantities eat and the choice I make.

Here’s to a mindful NFD when I break my fast tomorrow!

PS I just had a peek at that ‘younger sibling’ The Blood Sugar Diet website and happened across pages of products for sale which surprised me since the last time I visited I saw less than one page of products and at that time I saw mostly nuts and low carb flours of various types for baking. When I just looked now I was reminded that Dr. M has since written his ‘gut’ book, and the extra products reflect this! I saw a wide range of offerings of inulin, fermenting equipment including that to make sauerkraut, kombucha, kefir. Seeing these for sale on the sibling website helps support me in continuing to take inulin and to keep with fermenting!

Speaking of which, I’m ready to post another update about my 1 year inulin adventure experiment about the latest body scan that I underwent in August of this year. Too late to write all about that here and now, since I’m tuckered out, though will do so in near future!

Saturday 7am – slight breeze in the air ahead of a warm 34 Dec in the Southern Flinders Ranges.

Welcome to the new posters. Wow so much conversation since my last post I have no hope of catching up….lol.

Well OH finally plucked up the courage to propose this week after 3 months of false starts. No hurry to get married as we have so much going on with house renovations and such a busy year this year with travel etc. We have so much work to do in the house, new shed and the back yard it’s actually quite daunting.

Weight is still yoyoing (if that’s a word) and I can feel my body is retaining water. At least it is yoyoing in an ever so slightly downward spiral.

After an absence from yoga of about 2 months I will start back with classes on Tuesday night so really looking forward to that. Now the cement has cured in the new shed floor I can get my gym equipment set up…..yay. It will be another 2 weeks before the electrician can wire up the shed so I will have to run an extension cord to the back verandah for the treadmill. I have really missed my daily treadmill run after having to put my equipment in storage to accommodate renovations.

I was so proud of my food shopping trolley contents last weekend. After being in Adelaide for OH operation the fridge was bare so I needed a big shop – $160 – bearing in mind in my regional location food is more expensive than the city. Every item in the trolley was fresh produce and SA produced dairy with the exception of cat biscuits. My poor fridge was bursting at the seams. I also found Grass Fed meat at Coles which made my day. Have made some lovely fresh meals this week and there’s still plenty of goodies left in the fridge to keep me going for the rest of the week.

I’m also getting back to my strict fast days this week. Monday and Thursdays. School goes back on Monday so good time to get routines back in order.

One last thing before I make my second coffee for the morning. I made cauliflower rice for the first time last weekend…..yummo !! I added lots of extra fresh goodies and it was divine. Enough left over for lunch at work the next day and when OH asked if he could take some leftovers home too.

Happy weekend to everyone

Greetings, all . . . another lovely day in Melbs. So glad I got all the housework done yesterday (bathroom catastrophe notwithstanding!) so that hopefully I can get out today and take advantage of this gorgeous weather.

GDay, I don’t think we’ve yet met. Hello–and congratulations on your engagement! Would you mind to post a link for the recipe you used for the cauliflower rice? I’ve never tried it.

Minka, your post has me thinking I need to get educated about the science of IF. I haven’t read the book by Dr. M; I’ve been basing my WOL on a book by Dr. Jason Fung, “The Obesity Code.” Think I’ll order Dr. M’s book today and see how the two differ. Anyway, your mention of “inulin adventure” has me intrigued.

Thanks, LJoyce, for the Reece recommendation. I’ll check into that today.

Everyone, best wishes for a lovely weekend, wherever you are! Cheers!

Good morning,
    Glorious Melbourne again. Anzac, quick! Come down! 8:15am

Day before Fast Day.

Good question about my lull day, Thin. I think it is because I do put quite a bit of energy into my Fast Day.
    I’m not saying that is bad. When I was putting on weight I spent SO much energy stressing out about food and trying not to overeat etc, so Fast Days are comparatively simple and pleasurable.
    But I do need to plan around food and activity, and prepare in case it is one of those irritable fast days when I can’t concentrate.
    The day before – I am preparing,
    on Fast Day – I am doing it,
    and the day after – I am enjoying the lovely feeling.
    Unlike a lot of people here, I am hungry the day after Fast Day and I need concentrate on sensible eating (while enjoying every mouthful).
    So I think I feel that the day before FD, FD, and the day after FD are all work days for my food issues. Wonderful, productive days, but work days all the same. Even after nearly two years of maintenance.
    Lull day is my day. And I think it centres me. It’s like the weekend.

So it is day before FD and I am checking I haven’t got things going off in the fridge, and that I have the ingredients for my miso soup (it doesn’t take much for it to feel like a work day 😉 ) And I am spending the day mentally preparing for a good FD tomorrow.

Well, I have just reread that and even I can’t believe that lull day is so important to me, but there you go. It is.

Suz, what an awful accident! But funny! I hope you are able to replace the toilet easily. Another argument against housework!

Cali, hooray for your excellent Fast Day. Surely your BP will love all those steps.

LJoyce, sending get well wishes. I hope you can hunker down and just look after yourself. Catch up on your favourite TV programs and that sort of thing.
    https://1florist.florist/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/getwell-678×1024.jpg

Minka, it is interesting Dr Mosley saying that about the Blood Sugar Diet. I guess diabetes is a bigger issue for him personally, than obesity. 5:2 is the preventative WOE re diabetes, but the BSD might actually reverse it, so that is the pointy end. There seems to be more and more anecdotal stories of people reversing diabetes with diet and it is huge and dramatic.

Mind you, I remember that information coming out from Pritikin in the 1970’s. I guess Dr Mosley’s triumph is his excellent ability to bring it to the masses. He should be proud.

You are doing so much work Minka, it must be hard, but so wonderful that you are enjoying and making sure you look after yourself at the same time.
    I’m looking forward to the inulin report.

Well I did lots of gardening yesterday, planting zucchini, basil and lettuce. Very tricky as I have a tiny garden made up of pots and one small raised bed, which were full of silver beet and other things. Plus I have mad blackbirds around who think I spent all that time preparing a banquet for them to dig around in, so I have everything covered with pots and sticks and even upturned chairs. And also a whole pile of silverbeet to cook.

And all this posting and gardening and cooking means I am well behind with my YD work (STILL finalising the business plan!). So off I go.
    Quick! The grandkids are coming for lunch!

Bye everyone, have a good day!

LJoyce, just checked: there’s a Reece Plumbing Centre in the next suburb! Thanks again for the tip!

Ooh posts while I was writing!

Gday, congratulations! On your engagement! And also on your fridge full of good food, you yoga classes and your strict FD’s upcoming, the cement floor getting ready for your gym, and the cauliflower rice!

And Suz, hooray for a nice close Reece!

Good morning all,

Cinque, gosh, I’m worn out just reading about your lull day explanation! You poor thing. No wonder so many of us stick to the same food routines each week. See you tomorrow. I’m planning Spanish Fideos, 142 cals, for me and I’m not sure about the OFMs yet.

CalifD, thanks for the house layout explanation. Enjoy those decorations and festivities.

Suz, what a crazy accident. And an expensive one too. I highly recommend reading Dr M.’s book for the reasons outlined in my post on the previous page.

Anzac, do you want some help? Is it the weekends that are wrecking your weight loss? Happy to thrash it out with you but only if you want to, of course! How is Maxx?

Minka, thanks for your long, thoughtful posts over the past couple of days. Get well soon LJ. Well done Mr GDSA.

I’m in a rush this morning to get out walking before the heavy rain sets in. To be honest I really just checked in here quickly to see if Lindsay had updated. I have been thinking of you for two days Lindsay and anxiously await the outcome of Mr L.’s surgery. So hoping it was successful.

Some light relief is needed here I feel. This is from my friend who still lives in California. We were at uni together in England. She was always the skinny, flat chested one of the two of us. Now she has stacked on the kilos, is often asking me about 5:2 (but not practicing it) and her boobs are twice the size of mine. It was within that context that it made me smile this morning and hope it does you too:

“My goal for 2018 was to lose 15 pounds. Only 20 to go.

Ate salad for dinner. Mostly croutons & tomatoes. Really just one big round crouton covered with tomato sauce. And cheese. FINE, it was a pizza.. I ate a pizza.

How to prepare Tofu:
    a. Throw it in the trash
    b. Grill some meat, chicken or fish

I just did a week’s worth of cardio after walking into a spider web.

I don’t mean to brag, but I finished my 14-day diet food in 3 hours and 20 minutes.

A recent study has found women who carry a little extra weight live longer than men who mention it.”

10:40am Sat, from a 29C Adelaide
    Although despite the warm day I’m rugged up in winter clothes – feeling chilled at the moment.

Good morning all, I hope you are enjoying the start to your weekend.

Thin, thankyou for post from your friend – very funny.

GDSA, congratulations on the “official” engagement. I had been assuming it unofficially for a while now.

Suz, you are welcome, I hope they have what you are looking for. Remember to measure your existing cistern carefully. Including to location of water source and the connection pipe to the toilet bowl. Not everything that is available now will fit – I found that out the hard way! If you have to choose a different size cistern I also recommend going slightly larger – smaller will leave noticeable tile/paint gaps on the wall – larger will cover them all up.

Cinque, thankyou for get well wishes – what a vibrant and cheery bouquet.
    Enjoy that pile of silverbeet. I didn’t plant any, but my spinach plants are just starting to show real growth now. I suspect in the current weather your zucchini will do well – mine have many more leaves now and also some tiny little zucchini sticking out from the centre stem.
    Enjoy lunch with your grand daughters.

Minka, I can also see why DrM would focus on the BSD given the fact that diabetes is in epidemic proportions now. I also think he’s more comfortable with promoting people to eat a healthy Mediterranean diet as opposed to 5:2 which lets you eat what you like of the 5NFDs – and some people may still fill those days with junk. I know a lot of us are trying to eat mostly healthy foods on our NFDs, but the book doesn’t tell us we have to (not from memory – although it is some time since I read it).

Cali, well done on the FD and the 8000 steps.

Lindsay, hope your husband’s sight is ok after the surgery.

I’m still feeling a bit poorly but I think slightly better than yesterday.
    One positive of nobody wanting to be near my germs is that I have no reason not to fast tomorrow. So I get to fast on my most preferred day – Sunday.

Thin, thanks for the laugh of the day!
    Cinque, I think we’d all love to see a photo of your garden and its upturned chairs! 🙂
    LJoyce, great advice; thanks. I’m kinda thinking that a call to the plumber or handyman is in order, rather than my OH (or me!) mucking around with it.

HA HA HA thin, thankyou for the very funny quotes. And thank you SO much for the offer of help, I will definitely take you up on it. When I sat down and wrote down what I was actually eating on NFD’s I realised I was actually going over my TDEE as opposed to my thinking that I was way under. I think that has been my problem always; the mindless eating. So today I am very mindful and I have stopped myself from the little bit here and there that actually add up enormously. Just as you said LJoyce & Cali

Maxx just finished the equivalent of a dog tantrum. I put him outside because I wanted to clean the floors. Not clean around the skulking hunk of yellow fur but clean them properly. The little boy wanted IN and wanted IN NOW. I ignored him and he eventually stopped making sounds that the neighbours I’m sure interpreted as us torturing him and is snoozing in the sun. We have visitors arriving soon and I want a hair-free house just for a few hours! Oh did I mention the sun? YES it has stopped raining and the sun came out. Yay!

GDSA – I’m so happy for you! Congratulations 🙂

LJoyce, sorry to hear you are still feeling unwell 🙁

Cinque – your garden sounds amazing!

Suz sorry to hear about your loo accident, but as you said at least it wasn’t your head!

Hubby just arrived from the shops with Jaffa cake for afternoon tea with our friends. Luckily I don’t have a sweet tooth so it doesn’t tempt me. I will, however, have a treat of a few cracker with hummus.

Have a great weekend all of you lovely people. And thanks again, I’m so glad I found this forum. I’ll report a nice weight loss in the next few days, I’m sure of it :):):)

3:39pm Adelaide

Anzac, enjoy the company, and the hummus.

Suz, I think calling a plumber is a good idea. The reason I suggested measuring etc was that when I renovated the wet areas in the previous house I bought a very elegant, but modestly priced loo from Reece. When my plumber removed the old one and went to install the new, it didn’t fit. The plumbing wasn’t in the right spot for the loo I’d bought. Reece were happy to exchange, despite the fact that it had been unwrapped. My plumber actually took it back to the local Reece and swapped it for something that he knew would fit and they had in stock. Unfortunately it was nowhere near as elegant as my original choice and it cost more! When there is no functioning toilet in the house is not the time to go shopping for a better option! I won’t forget that lesson.

I’m doing better food wise today. Yesterday, despite subdued tastebuds at the moment, I couldn’t stop snacking. Today I promised myself that between meal snacks would be limited to a piece of fruit. I had 1/2 punnet raspberries this morning and just ate a banana as a mid-afternoon snack. So I’m feeling better about my moderation today. I think I was using ill health to justify eating whatever I felt like. (Basically I was behaving like spoiled child!)

Anzac, I’ve just realised that you probably joined the forum after Cinque suggested picturing all the food you eat in a day piled onto the table together, then Thin suggested actually doing that and taking and posting a photo of it.
    When I moved into this house just over 4 months ago I really struggled with my NFDs and knew I was eating too much. I found it difficult to get back to my pre-move behaviour. I found the idea of seeing the whole day’s food together really helpful. I piled everything I planned to eat onto the bench in the morning and took a photo, then posted it here. This helped in 2 ways: it enabled me to visually see if my quantities were over or under done and also if my balance of different food groups was ok. It was also like making a commitment to myself and everyone else on the forum that this is what I’d eat that day – most of the time I stuck to it, despite all the trouble I’d had before that.
    It wouldn’t work if you mostly eat away from home, but there would be nothing to prevent you pulling out the iphone and taking a photo of food every time you are about to eat something. A pictorial record can be very confronting.

Those three NFDs whizzed by but I managed to stay under 60kgs (just) and am greeting my FD with 59.8kg.

Anzac, it sounds like you’ve worked it out. I didn’t tackle the issue of NFD eating for a long time after starting 5:2. The whole appeal of this WOE was not having to count calories on NFDs and not feeling deprived. I’d never been an unhealthy eater but was definitely an over-eater. FDs changed my habits in that I learned to prepare food without ‘sampling’ everything (i.e. mindlessly stuffing my face); I learned to eat slowly and savour every bite instead inhaling food; that I didn’t need a second helping and what a portion should look like. The biggest revelation was rice. I used to fill my plate with it before adding the other food. Now I don’t eat it at all.

I think it’s especially daunting to count calories on a NFD as there are too many odds and ends being consumed. Yet this may be the very reason for giving it a go because being writing it all down (or photographing it) makes you think about whether you really need it. When LJ kindly did a sample of my NFD intake calorie count, it wasn’t totally horrible but definitely more than I thought. And that was after a couple of years of 5:2 ‘shaping’.

Perth Girl, who used to post here, told me when we met for coffee that she never snacks. If she wants something like nuts, say, she incorporates that into her lunch. She is very lean! Did you know that several of us have met for coffee? I think I’ve met seven Perth losers and, on the east coast, Merry has done a good job connecting with Intesha, Cinque, Penguin, maybe others.

Anyway, it sounds as if you are already making the necessary changes so well done. And hello Maxx.

10:38am Sun, Adelaide, 29C humid and expecting rain later.

Good morning all, hope you are enjoying your Sunday morning.
    Cali, what’s the plan for Saturday night pizza – did you solve the vegan cheese issue?

Thin, well done staying under 60 over 3 NFDs. Given some of the bad foods I’ve eaten over the last two days I doubt my weight has been stable, I need my FD today.
    Normally I don’t have junk in the house, but because I had family over for dinner last week I ended up with potato chips in the pantry and icecream in the freezer. The result of that for my NFDs was not good. Hence the promise I made to myself yesterday about fruit only between meals.

I’m looking forward to a FD today although it doesn’t feel like soup weather to me. I may need to make either a salmon salad or a veggie omelette.
    By the way, my perpetual lettuce plants have grown enough to keep me supplied with sufficient lettuce now. I’ll only need to buy lettuce when catering to extended family.

I am feeling slightly better again today. A trend I’m hopeful will continue.

Have a nice Sunday everyone.

Good morning, eep no, took so long to write it is 12:04pm.

Another warm sunny day. It is just glorious (apart from the sense of impending el nino).

Suz, how sensible to ask for a photo of my chair garden, instead of an explanation of lull days! Live and learn Thin 😉 !
    So far the chairs have done a great job protecting the seedlings from sun and blackbirds: https://imgur.com/a/k0QNy1y

Thin, very funny. I especially loved the first one.

Good wishes LJoyce, I hope you are less chilly this morning. I bet you were snacky because your core temperature was down.

I had lunch with my daughter and granddaughters and then kept Miss 4 as she doesn’t like dogs and there was a young bouncy one at the party. Even suggestions of locking it inside didn’t help. She is also scared of insects (her dad has lots of anxieties, and she got this one from him I think) so that made for an interesting day in my garden and open home. We made it fun though with lots of flapping scarves to chase them out.

I thought I would share this pic from the party. Miss 2 with a tulip made from carrot and a snow pea. (The theme was a garden party). So clever and elegant. https://imgur.com/a/muueAaE

Anzac, it is such a relief to be able to work out so easily what we are doing wrong, when things aren’t working. We have all those advertising images and messages messing up our heads, so it is no wonder portion sizes swell up and snacks sneak in, and little tastes, and low nutrient foods that take up too much of our intake. I do rather resent that I have to RE-learn things so often, but eventually it sinks in. Surely….

And hooray for the sun.

Well, it is Fast Day for me. I finished my yuba, so I have a chicken tenderloin for my miso soup this evening, and fresh mushrooms. I will blend some silver beet with the stock so that I don’t have long bits wrapped around my spoon, but use the centre stems as a vegetable (I used to be amazed anyone would bother eating chard stems, but now I like them).

Lindsay, I worry that we haven’t heard from you, and send good wishes to you and Mr Lindsay.

Rainbow, it would be a relief to hear from you too.

Cheers to Thin and LJoyce and all the other happy Sunday Fasters.

Hello fellow happy Sunday fasters, LJ and Cinque. Glad you’re on the mend, LJ. A veggie omelette sounds yummy as does chicken tenderloin miso. I think I mentioned I’m having Spanish Fideos and that lasts me for two FDs. It’s been a long time since I’ve had Slendier noodles and we haven’t mentioned them here for ages so I wonder if Anzac knows about them?

We have an extensive drinks cabinet (years of duty free) but rarely drink these days so I was looking up recipes to make use of our alcohol. In particular Pernod. On Friday night, I made the most delicious chicken dish with a creamy Pernod sauce. It was so easy but I’m sure it’s dinner party quality. No idea of the calories unfortunately but the Pernod is evaporated before adding stock so I’m hoping that means the calories are too? Anyway, no weight gain so it couldn’t have been too terrible.

Gorgeous photo of the little one, Cinque. She may not like animals but look how much pleasure she gets from eating her veggies. Rose must have a circle of very healthy eater friends. I recognise some things from your garden. Love silver beet (as long it has the ‘silver’ in front of it). Now we just need a photo of your lull day and your mission will be fulfilled.

Already completed my walk dodging showers and gusty winds. We had a terrific thunder storm late last night. I have a peaceful day alone today as OH went to a fly-in with some friends and DD is at uni completing her equine rotation. Poor thing hasn’t had a day off in three weeks. OH built and installed a wonderful ladder and safety rail for a mezzanine space in our home office and today I’m motivated to de-clutter the office.

I, too, am concerned about Lindsay and Mr L. Hoping so much that they’re off celebrating somewhere.

2pm Sunday, south coast NSW

Well my Thursday FD was going great until I got home, and then I abandoned it. At least I made a conscious decision to do this. I didn’t binge eat, just ate more than I should have for a FD. Friday and Saturday were proper eat days. I didn’t even eat mindfully unfortunately. Weight this morning is 69kg on the dot. I have been down to 68.2 and up to 69.8 all within the last two weeks.

Tomorrow I am looking forward to a FD. Then NFD then FD again. Monday and Wednesday used to be my FDs and I’m going back to that. Feeling really positive

Really love your funny post thin. I’m sitting in the sun and I was smiling (I’m sure OH thought I was a little strange lol)

Hope your feeling better LJ. Hope everyone is well 🙂

I don’t think I mentioned about my extremely rude doctor and the debacle I have had to deal with from her. I have been going to this practice since I was 10 yrs old, I’m now 40. I was seeing other doctors in this time but she then became my main doctor. She is a very busy doctor and also trains new graduates and other doctors in certain procedures. She is the one that put me straight onto the blood pressure medication. I made a one month follow up appt which she kept and the she asked for a six monthly check up appt. That appt was cancelled and rescheduled for 3 months later. On the morning of that appt I got a call from her office saying they would have to cancel it again. They then told me they couldn’t reschedule it until March next year and when I questioned them about this, they said they probably can’t rebook me at all. They said it was because of how busy she is, the fact she has other patients that are regular patients and also that I have only seen her a few times. How rude. I haven’t been sick!! Also when I have made appointments they have been cancelled before and so I just end up seeing another doctor at another practice.

The whole reason I am telling you this is because I have decided to wean myself off the blood pressure medication. Don’t worry!! The medication I am taking is an ace inhibitor and it is not dangerous if you suddenly stop taking it or forget to take it. I have been taking a tablet every second day and have been monitoring my BP. I have a machine at home and my BP has been fine. I will keep monitoring it and recording it and then go see my other doctor and see if she will take me off them for good. Will let you all know 🙂

I will be checking in tomorrow as it is my FD, although I am expecting it to be nice and fasty! It will be so much easier knowing whatever I want tomorrow I can always have on Tuesday if I still want it. I think I will find it good for me just like it was at the start 🙂 🙂

Anzac, and anyone else not seeing the results they want – please don’t give up. Just keep at it. You will get what you want 🙂

Take care xx

Checking in later than usual today–busy Sunday morning, as my OH preached at the church we attend. On the way to church we discovered that a bridge was closed, meaning a long detour . . . not a problem, unless someone in the car is the preacher of the morning. All was well, though, and we arrived with 5 minutes to spare!

Cinque, loved the pictures! The overturned chairs are brilliant, and Miss 2 is precious! Thanks for posting.

Question: What are slendier noodles??

And another question: Does anyone in this community have–or has anyone in this community had–a large amount of weight to lose? That’s where I find myself, so I’d love any thoughts, suggestions, or personal stories of how you’ve done it.

Thanks, one and all!

Suz, here’s the link to Slendier:
    https://slendier.com/shop-online/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIl6C32peF3gIVEnZgCh0x-wwOEAAYASAAEgLZS_D_BwE

The noodles are available at major supermarkets, usually in the health food section. From the website photos, you will know what you’re looking for.

…and here’s a link to our recipe page where you find some recipes that use Slendier including my Spanish Fideos:
    https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/southern-hemispherites-fd-recipes/

Along the way, JustJulie explained to us that Slendier was made from konjac which she used to eat in Japan. We discovered that most Asian grocers stock blocks or ribbons of konjac (konnyaku) for a fraction of the price of Slendier. I still use the Slendier Angel Hair noodles because it’s hard to slice the blocks thinly enough to make Angel Hair. You’ll find a white version (not to be confused with tofu but sold in the same section of the fridge) and a brown, speckled version which CharliesMum named pond scum. You’ll see why.

Konjac is basically free food. Almost no calories and very filling. You must rinse it very well though as it does have a pungent smell and some people (Minka) find it too rubbery.

That’s the lowdown on Slendier, and I think LJ might appear any minute to answer your other question. She is the weight loss queen. I thought I’d lost a lost, 25kgs, but LJ lost more than double that and has kept it all off! I’ll leave it to her to tell her amazing story of all she has overcome along the way.

Quacka, all the best for tomorrow’s successful fast and many more to follow. That is rude of that doctor – sounds like she operates some kind of frequent flyer programme rewarding ill health. Had you already joined us when I related the story of what happened to me when my BP medication wasn’t properly monitored by my then GP? I woke up in the back of an ambulance having experienced a witnessed grand mal seizure in the park. Damned inconvenient as I was prohibited from driving for 6 months and had to have a 24hr ‘minder’ for several weeks – my OH was working o/seas at the time. After that, I found a new GP and he determined that I didn’t require BP meds in the first place. Good to shop around for a doc you trust.

Suz, I’m sorry it wouldn’t let me paste the link directly to the noodles and now they’ve increased their range so it’s confusing. From that link I posted above, select ‘Konjac’ from their menu items on the left hand side.

And, sorry, not enough time to edit so s/b ‘thought I’d lost a lot’.

3:30pm Sun, Adelaide, thunder and rain here now.
    Good afternoon all.

Cinque, I can see why you are picking silverbeet at present – those plants are at the point of keeping you supplied almost daily I imagine. Very inventive use of plastic garden chairs!

Quacka, it sounds like you have decided how to approach fasting this week with set days. I hope returning to your original 5:2 system goes really well for you.
    It does sound like you might need to choose a different doctor in that practice to be your regular doctor – is that an option? As you’ve had BP issues it’s not good that the monitoring appointments keep getting cancelled – the GP doesn’t know you are monitoring it yourself, they should be doing that. (I haven’t had high blood pressure for 3 years now, but because of my history of it my GP still checks it every 6-8 weeks.) I also think the reception staff need to be reminded that this is no way to treat someone who’s been a patient at that practice for 30 years.

Suz, sounds like the morning journey to church was a bit of an adventure, glad you made it in time.
    Slendier is a brand of “konjac” noodles. They are made from a fibrous corm that has very calories. Most supermarkets sell them, but you’ll mostly find them shelved with the gluten-free products in the health food isle rather than with the other noodles. Most are 8-10 calories a serve. They are not a particularly good substitute for pasta, but they work well as a rice noodle substitute in Asian soups and stir fry. Because of their high fibre content they are also quite filling.

Suz, I’m currently 53kg (117lb) lighter than I was 6 years ago. I didn’t lose it on 5:2 though as I hadn’t heard of it when I needed to lose weight quickly for surgery. I came to 5:2 early last year when I had regained over 10kg of my lost weight. I was desperate to stop the gain, to lose that weight and to also find a way of maintaining my weight long term. (If you click on the LJoyce next to my post it will take you to my profile which gives some more detail.) On 5:2 I got the gained weight off, and another kilo besides and it has been enormously helpful in helping me maintain a relatively steady weight. There are others on this forum who lost considerable weight with 5:2.

I’ve just had the delight of picking some leafy veg and herbs from my garden to use in tonight’s omelette. https://imgur.com/rbJeFfd I have english spinach, sorrel, continental parsley and dill. I will add some (shop bought) halved cherry tomatoes to this as my filling and perhaps a small spoonful of grated parmesan.

Thin, our posts crossed!

Melbourne very warm afternoon but enough cloud to be kind to my garden. 5pm

I’ve tried to have a gentle day (babysitting and gardening recovery) but I have henna’d my hair, cooked bread, made ‘red lentils and lime dal’, shopped. Not in that order. I look very fetching with a spotty shower cap over my henna hair, but decided against shopping with it on.

Now I am starving, but not long til miso soup time so a good time to post.
    Btw, I bought broccoli so I get a meal without silver beet for greens!

Thin, I hope you have had a happy declutter. Goodness me your house sounds beautiful. I do hope DD gets a good break after this rotation.
    The Pernod chicken sounds wonderful too. I’d ask for the recipe but I have no pernod. (Unless Chinese cooking wine would suffice? 😉 )

Quacka, so glad you are set for a good simple 5:2 this week. Hope it works beautifully.
    What a rotten doctor story. I hope you find a new good one. A good doctor is a precious thing.
    I got a fright when you said you were stopping your BP meds as my dear friend stopped hers and then had what was probably a small stroke or a couple of them. (Her PB was still a bit high but she did it with her doctor’s approval).
    I can see that your case is different and especially that you are monitoring it well. Fingers crossed you can stay off it.

Suz, I’m glad you got to church on time!
    I’ll leave someone else to tell you about Slendier noodles. I looked at them and decided they are not for me.

Others also have had more weight to lose than me. I lost 30kg, but I lost the first 20 by cutting out sugar. However I then plateaued and started putting kilos back on again, even with no added sugar (or even fruit). I was so distressed. 5:2 was my saviour and I lost 15kg and now I am nicely at the lower end of my healthy weight range and still doing 5:2 for maintenance.

The flappy bits that are a result of my being old and fat are very gradually disappearing (two years on maintenance and it is only in the last couple of weeks I can be confident to say that).

Ooh well, only an hour to go before I make my soup. Cheers everyone, see you on the lovely ‘morning after Fast Day’.

Hi Thin and LJoyce, lovely to find your posts there.
    LJoyce I didn’t realise our similar relief in finding 5:2. Such a relief!
    🙂
    Lovely harvest!

Cinque, I keep forgetting that you lost 30kgs. I see your photo occasionally and think of you as only ever having been a slim person. Very encouraged to learn that there could still be hope for my flappy bits. Just completed my first feeding.

I got no de-cluttering done at all. My neighbour came round for a cup of tea because her teens were irritating her and stayed 2.5 hours. Just as she left, my OH arrived back.

LJ, those greens look fabulous. I wasn’t able to name the sorrel but got the others right.

We are so lucky to have discovered this sustainable means of keeping our weight off.

Hi, Thin & Cinque, sounds like neither of you had quite the day planned!

As the rain has cooled things down a bit here I decided to alter my FD dinner a bit. I defrosted a tub of cauliflower soup and had half of it, without adding the usual parmesan to it. Then I made a small omelette with 2 x 45g eggs (500kj), a dessertspoon of parmesan and all those greens.
    The soup was almost as nice without the cheese as it is with it – I’ll have to remember than in future when I need to trim the kjs a bit.
    My omelette was a flavour explosion, although it wasn’t just my fresh greens that did it – those tiny cherry tomatoes were so sweet once warmed through in the omelette. I hope that the cherry tomato plants in my garden produce fruit that nice.
    I’m looking forward to having it all again on my next FD!

Hope the other fasters have an equally delicious dinner.

Hi everyone, just checking in.

Just home after spending 4 days with 12 family members visiting my younger Brother on the east coast of Australia.

No time yet to catch up with all your posts as it’s been too many days!

Hope all is going the best it can be. Enjoy whatever you are getting up to and bye for now xx

Hi Arel, hope you had a lovely family time.

Cinque & Merry (and anyone else interested), I see that the Insight program on SBS Tuesday night is about chronic fatigue syndrome.

Good morning, all!

Hmm, pond scum slendier; significant, long-term weight loss (way to go, LJoyce, Cinque, and thin–remarkable!!); and yes, a doctor who appears to operate with frequent flyer points!

Just caught up on a bunch of posts from yesterday and am feeling motivated for the week. Hope you all are as well.

Happy Monday everyone.

Harry and Megan touched down this morning and I’m afraid the weather isn’t going to be great while they are here. It is supposed to bucket down AGAIN today but right now it is mostly blue sky but very cool for this time of year.

EDIT: by the time I finished typing my post the weather changed and now it is raining!

I have enjoyed catching up on your posts. Glad you are feeling a bit better LJoyce and great idea re taking photo’s of what you are about to eat. It’s so easy to take quick pictures these days with our phones always to hand

Lovely photo of Miss 2 and her tulip Cinque – and is that you behind her? Very nice and stop calling yourself old! None of us are old, we are just experienced 🙂

Thanks for the info about the noodles thinatlast. I have tried them before and I didn’t really like them. But that was a long time ago so I am going to give them another go as it will be nice to have such a low-calorie filler-upper (new word of the day) that ‘feels’ like noodles.

Quacka – that doctor is so rude, I simply can’t believe they did that to you. Best to get a new one for sure. We changed doctors about a year ago and it made me realise how important it is to have one who actually gives a darn about your health. Our old one never recommended me to go for mammograms or other girl tests nor anything for my hubby. As soon as we changed our new doctor sent us both for lots of check-up tests and it came up that hubby had an enlarged prostate that would have caused big problems later if not fixed. He had a small procedure and is now on medication and all is well. Mr lazy ex-doctor would never have picked this up

Hi Arel, glad you had a nice time with your family

If I’ve missed anyone I’m sorry…posts build up so quickly 🙂

Suz – I have a significant amount of weight to lose. About 6 months ago I got to 96-97 kilos and the thought of triple figures terrified me. So I joined Weight Watchers and lost about 5 kilos but it was slow and I was fed up with counting points. So I started 5:2 just over 3 weeks ago at 91.8 and quickly dropped to 89.5 but then, due to overeating on NFD’s and having a few not-so-good FD’s I jumped back up to 90.3. I ate more mindfully on the weekend and dropped a few hundred grams So today I am starting afresh on exactly 90 kilos. So we can do this journey together if you like, I would really like that but please don’t feel obliged if you prefer to keep your tracking to yourself. I will completely understand as it is a very personal thing

FD today and I have a salad with some chicken breast that I marinated in lots of spices and baked in the oven for lunch. Yesterday I cooked up a big pot of lean beef mince with lots of veges and spices that I portioned into small meals and froze so I will have one tonight in lettuce cups. A couple of pieces of fruit this afternoon and that will do me just nicely

Have a great day everyone

Good morning, Monday 8:47am

They should have come to Melbourne first!
    (Talking Harry and Meghan and the weather)

Anzac, good idea to post weight once a week (or whatever suits you) here. We have had several people who used this thread for accountability: mightn’t chat, but pop up their Fast Day calories and weight and gain or loss.
    Infact Merry might pop back in a minute with hers.

The photo I posted of Miss 2 was at the party, and her mum is holding her. I am 35 years older than my (one and only) daughter (and have probably felt old from the day she was born 😉 😉 😉 )
    I was back here dealing with the scary tiny fly in the living room with Miss 4. And feeling very ‘experienced’ 🙂 Thankyou.

I SO need to cook up a few big batches of things so I have meals at the ready. Your spiced beef and veggies sound wonderful.

Beetroot season seems to be over so I am going to try carrot kanji, a similar fermented drink to beet kvass, but from Northern India and traditionally made from purple carrots, but I will use orange ones. It has mustard and ginger and chili powder added so it will be sparky!

Thin, allowing a neighbour a break from her teenagers is high priority, Decluttering can wait.

LJoyce I had never seen the red veined sorrel before, but next minute it popped up on Gardening Australia.
    Thanks for the note about Insight. I am looking forward to it. It should put together the latest research, which is always interesting (it tends to go in several different directions).

Arelkade, what a wonderful family gathering. It must have been very busy, and full of pleasure, I hope. I hope it is also nice to be home and settling into your good routines.

Suz, I do hope this will be an especially good week for you. I remember how it feels to be carrying all that extra weight and it is hard work. Even though it is not immediate rewards, every week on 5:2 is a step toward lightness, better health, and getting food habits organised for the future.

All power to everyone today!

Morning all, I LOVE Mondays almost as much as Thursdays!

LJ, not sure if you’re using the same cauliflower soup recipe but I find 1tbs of plain yoghurt makes it creamy and substantial. Parmesan cheese sounds a perfect match but I wouldn’t dare on a FD.

Cinque, I hope we get a photo of the carrot drink. I love purple carrots but they can be expensive. I like to grate them and add them to a salad platter which confuses my friends at first as they wonder why I am adding beetroot when I dislike it so much.

Arel, how are you going? What a large family gathering. I don’t have that many relatives altogether!

Anzac, congratulations on saying it out loud. I think that will really help you with accountability. I found it useful to set smaller goals because it’s much less daunting. My current and wonderfully supportive GP understands being overweight as he once had lap band surgery. He can drive you crazy sitting in the waiting room but, once you get in to see him, he makes you feel like you’re the only patient he’s seeing that day.

I was daunted and depressed by the amount of weight I needed to lose and it consumed me. When I was at my worst (GP says 87kgs) and before I started 5:2, he told me to stop thinking that I had 20kgs to lose and instead aim to lose 1kg every year for the rest of my life. How hard could that be? I started thinking like that and lost 5kgs over the next several months. Then I discovered 5:2 and my life changed forever. At that time, I hoped to lose 10kgs and would never have anticipated seeing 60kgs on the scales, let alone 59.3kg where I am this morning. My GP is totally supportive of 5:2 and recommends it to all his patients.

Anyway, I’m just thinking Anzac – you and Suz could perhaps set yourselves a small goal to achieve by Christmas. In December, you could join my Silly Season Challenge which is whatever you want to make it – most participants aim to maintain their achieved loss throughout the Christmas period while enjoying all that’s on offer (in smaller quantities). We do it though good planning and not abandoning FDs. It’s not inevitable that we must gain weight at that time of year (or when on holiday). In the past, I would gain 3kgs and perhaps get 1kg off in January. It’s not sustainable as we all know. Good luck with today – planning as you have is the key.

Quacka, thinking of you today too. A hugely successful, easy FD is underway I’m sure.

Lindsay, special thoughts for you and Mr L.

Not feeling hungry post FD so off to bridge later armed with a small banana at LJ’s suggestion.

8:50am Mon, in a very windy and slightly damp Adelaide
    Good morning all

Anzac and Suz, The initial smell from opening a bag of konjac noodles is a bit fishy and off-putting, but I find they improve with the right preparation. I put them in a colander and wash them really well under the tap, then shake off excess water. Then I put them into a non stick frying pan and move them around over a moderate heat for a few minutes until they feel dry and “squeaky” (you’ll understand what I mean if you do it) – it takes about 10 minutes as they also release water. Then I remove them and use with my meal. I find this process removes the fishy smell and improves the texture. If I’m adding them to a soup they don’t need to be dried, but for other dishes they tend to release to much water and can make a stir fry or a pasta sauce too runny.
    My main use of them is in a FD stir fry – it makes it into a substantial and filling meal.

Cinque, I have never been able to find sorrel anywhere, either fresh or as a plant. I was very excited to see it in the Bunnings nursery and very quickly snatched a pot off the shelf and put it in my trolley – I didn’t see any variety other than purple veined. I have a French cookbook which uses sorrel in a number of recipes. I’ve never been able to make them with sorrel. I’ve always had to use baby spinach and a squeeze of lime or lemon to get that sorrel flavour. I’m going to have to go back to my European cookery books and see what other sorrel recipes I can find.

Quacka, I hope you have an east FD and great week with your new Mon-Wen FD routine.

I am currently trying to plan my meals for the next couple of weeks from the freezer. Before I moved house I did this to ensure I wouldn’t need to move a pile of frozen food and also wouldn’t be wasting food. I now need to do this again. No I’m not moving again – just replacing the fridge.
    I can’t find a place in it where lettuce doesn’t freeze and it’s so loud some nights it keeps me awake. The fact that it backs onto the wall of my bedroom where the headboard is doesn’t help. I have had to resort to getting up and giving it a shove – that seems to quiet it down for a while. A bit like the 1960s when a blurry tv reception was fixed by thumping the top of the cabinet – at least my grandfather certainly believed that.

On Saturday I halved lengthways some kiffler potatoes and small sweet potatoes and roasted them in the airfryer – I have plenty of those left so I’ve pulled out a bag of kale-sprouts that I had cooked and frozen a few weeks ago and a serve of Nigerian bean stew. I think I can get two generous dinners from all of that. That should be my Mon-Tues NFDs taken care of. My next FD will be either Wens or Thurs.
    I love the feeling on a Monday of knowing I fasted on day one of my week (Sunday) and looking at the next 6 days as options to do just just one more FD. It always feels so easy when I fast on a Sunday. When I have a rare week where my first FD is a Tuesday or Wednesday I always feel a sense of panic that I won’t squeeze that second FD in. I guess for those of you who always stick to the same weekdays as your FDs, this is not an issue.

Have a good day and good week everyone.

Crossed post yet again as it took me half an hour to post!
    Thin – I use a cauliflower cheese soup recipe from one of the Moosewood cookbooks – although I have tweaked it to my own tastes. It is different to your recipe – mine had cauliflower, onion and carrots and is always a pinky-apricot colour once pureed. (Also meant to have potato but I never add them.)

Funny how other people’s posts remind you of things you’d forgotten. I agree with Thin’s advice on the “small goals”. When you have a lot to lose the journey can feel endless and impossible. When I was faced with losing 50+kg I tended to focus on the next 5kg at a time. Only once I was more than half way through my weight loss, did I look more at the total numbers. Once you have the “weight” of a big loss behind you it adds to the confidence that you can make it to the end of the journey, but in the early stages it’s just scary.

That’s a great idea. My goal is to be 83 by Christmas which is just over 10 weeks away. That’s about 700g per week between now and then. That would be a total loss of 8.8 on 5:2 and hopefully a whole dress size 🙂

Good luck with your meal planning LJoyce. I find is absolutely essential else I will just eat something ‘handy’. I am so full of admiration for your 50kg+ loss and take a lot of encouragement from that, and everyone else’s too. Thinatlast, I can’t see myself getting anywhere near 60g, but I will be happy if I can be a size 14 in the ‘normal’ clothing stores (as opposed to ‘big is beautiful’ type stores)…but then again it happened for you so you never never know 🙂

Poor Miss 4 Cinque and her fear of insects. I hope she grows out of it but meanwhile your ‘experience’ certainly helps I’m sure 🙂 I have a phobia about cockroaches but let’s not go there! Give me a snake or a spider any day over those disgusting creatures.

It is 10.15 and have had some hunger pangs but they were fleeting and I resisted those dratted crackers in the kitchen here at work. Had two black coffees and lots of water and feeling very good. Yay!

Good morning Everyone

Well, it is amazing the difference in my attitude to a FD today. I am having a cup of black coffee and I am really enjoying it. I have some pickled cabbage, grated carrot and red capsicum to eat for lunch (or about 3pm when I usually get hungry)

I weighed myself this morning and almost fell off the scales with fright. I was up to 71.5kg from 69kg yesterday. Not believing this could be right, I stepped off and back on again. This time 69.2kg. Just to double check I did it again and the weight was 67.5kg! What a joke. I am taking the 69.2kg as my weight lol

Hope its a nice easy FD for those of us fasting today. Anzac I am thinking of you.
    My goal is to be consistently weighing in the 67kg number range by my birthday (6 weeks away). That is only about 2kgs but that is my next goal. I want it to be consistently in that number or under but not creeping up to 68 or 69kg.

Suz I have lost 14kg so far and I would like to lose another 10kg. Not as much as some of the other people here but I am really happy with how it is going. The best thing for me has been to be able to fit into some of my old clothes again! Also to be able to buy some new ones (though not too many as I am still going to be changing size in the near future)

Hope everyone has a lovely day. I will be checking in again throughout the day x

Nice to meet you Suz. I cant post a link to the cauliflower rice recipe for 2 reasons. 1) I have no idea how to post a link or photo to this page (technically challenged) and 2) as I do with most recipes I make it up as I go along.

Ljoyce Do we still have the recipe thread for our page? If so can you (or someone) post the link (again I’m technically challenged so don’t know how to find it). I will try to remember what I put in the rice and post the recipe there. Note to self- write down my ‘fly by the seat of my pants recipes’ for future reference

Thanks, Anzac, for the offer of tracking together! That scares me too much to agree to it, I’ll be honest, but I will certainly be cheering you on, especially as you aim for 83 by Christmas. In fact, while I don’t feel comfortable posting my numbers right now, I will set a goal of 7kg by Christmas like you and keep you posted on how I’m progressing. Fair enough?

Quacka, I applaud you for not just taking the lowest number! 🙂

Thanks again, everyone, for the warm welcome and the great words of encouragement. What a lovely community!

Quacka, your weight is 67.5kg! If you don’t like what you see on the scales, move them to another part of the house and try again. Jump up and down on them and give it another go. Go for a brisk walk, have a hot shower, say a few bad words and get back on. And always record the lowest weight you see that day! 🙂

GDSA, the link to our recipe page is in my earlier post on this page.

Suz, there’s no need to share the ‘numbers’ if you’re not comfortable doing so. But if you do, no-one here will be judging. Whatever led you to that weight gain, you’re here now. Many of us had food ‘issues’ dating back decades. Some are shared here, others privately via email, others not at all. We love weight loss success.

Just popping in to remind everyone that 500g a week is the average for losing weight with 5:2. (In my sedentary way I was more like 500g a fortnight).
    Losing 5kg by Christmas is a good sensible goal and any more is a wonderful bonus.
    So just letting you know I will be setting off (virtual) celebratory fireworks when you lose 5kg. Make sure you let me know.

Here is the recipe thread: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/southern-hemispherites-fd-recipes/

And specifically the Cauliflower Rice: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/southern-hemispherites-fd-recipes/#post-165423

Cheers all!

Cinque, good advice but also wanted to add that it might be sensible to factor in that The Silly Season doesn’t start on Christmas Day. There are often many festivities and temptations in the lead up. Therefore, I’d recommend setting a goal to reach by the start of those – say, the first week in December. For the month of December, you’ll be doing well if you simply maintain on a plateau. Just something to think about so you don’t set yourselves up for failure. Of course, you can lose weight if you’re completely determined but it may seem like you’re dieting when others are indulging.

Viewing 50 posts - 17,651 through 17,700 (of 28,007 total)

You must be logged in to reply.