Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,901 replies, has 831 voices, and was last updated by  thinatlast 18 hours, 21 minutes ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 15,601 through 15,650 (of 28,005 total)

• Good afternoon SHs,

I had a photographer here at 9am taking photos. It should all be in the online ad by late today. First open is early afternoon on Sunday. Apart from some raking and sweeping outside and probably washing the floors, I don’t think there’s much I need to do as the house is ready as long as I don’t mess it up – I will be careful.

Not sure how the expectant father went, I had a different photographer this morning – the other one probably had a busy night and is sleeping it off.

Cinque, I think your hot weather is coming from SA – we had 35C+ for the last two days and really strong hot winds (and naturally a few bushfires that are now under control). Today it’s low 20s – still windy but much cooler. So if your weather is sill coming from the west you should get cooler weather and then rain very soon.
    Although I don’t care much for rodents, they don’t deserve to be mutilated as a message to councilors.
    Hope your FD goes well.

Thin, I don’t think you can be too paranoid when it comes to trusting personal details online. Did I tell you that on facebook I gave a D.O.B. that makes me 94 years old. Amazing that I get no advertising at all – I thought they might at least try to sell me denture adhesive and incontinence pants. Unless I’m doing something important like applying for a loan I never give accurate personal details online, I figure they have no right to know unless it involves a formal signed contract.

NFD for me and as I was up at 6am watering the garden I ate muesli with kefir at 8:30am. Lunch was a wholemeal salad sandwich and a date scone and several cups of tea. I have taken some beef sausages and cooked brown lentils out of the freezer to make a casserole for dinner – should get a few evening meals from it. I’ll make a big pot of mixed veggie mash to have with it (I have potato, sweet potato, pumpkin, cauliflower and carrots to go it in.)

The nurse has just left and the infusion went well. No sign of side effects at all yet. I’m going to have a very lazy afternoon with my e:reader – haven’t had the time to do that in quite a while.

You deserve a nice rest LJ, we’re all exhausted just reading what you’ve been doing lately. You’d better start eating that freezer down quickly so its contents don’t have to get moved to the next house. I’m betting on an early offer and a quick sale of your house.

Yes, you mentioned before about giving the wrong DOB to FB which is a good start. I still wouldn’t trust FB with any of my information and, just recently, it’s been revealed that 300,000 Australians have had their personal information compromised. I’ve tried not to say ‘told you so’ to too many people! It’s unbelievable that FB is still not required to reveal a ‘privacy’ policy so its users have no idea how their personal information is being used. By ‘information’ I don’t just mean what you provide to them, real or fabricated, but data gathered from what others post on your page, what you ‘like’, and just by virtue of your association with your FB ‘friends’ and their online behaviour. I see it as the largest, most powerful political platform in the world capable of influencing over 80% of the world’s inhabitants but without being elected. That alone is enough to keep me well away. We have enough entities telling us how to think and what to say.

I spent the morning realising how much I don’t know about bridge at a supervised playing session. Luckily, there are many others in the same boat and everyone is really friendly and forgiving. I was lucky to be assigned an experienced player as a partner. I learned a lot but I doubt it was a particularly great morning for her. I was blown away by the sheer number of people, there must have been over 100 players.

Thin, glad you had someone useful to learn from at bridge. It sounds like it’s popular – maybe they all watched the same aging doco that we did and decided to get their brain cells working.
    I do actually have a lot of empty space in my freezer these days. I have been using my freezer stash of precooked meals – they’ve been really useful while I’ve been so busy. I only have about 9 frozen home-cooked meals left in the freezer and 1 litre of soup. Luckily about half can be used for FDs, which helps me get through it a bit quicker. It was actually rather nice to spend some time cooking this afternoon. Lately I have limited myself to really quick cooking, like omelettes. I have enough leftovers from tonight’s cooking that it will cover the next 2 NFDs and there will probably still be a serve of the mash that I can freeze. I’m cooking again tomorrow. I’m using the rest of the head of cauliflower to make a pot of cauliflower cheese soup – a cold weather favourite of mine and a nice FD dinner.

Hi everyone.
    Thought I’d better check in now that I’m feeling a lot better today, though still not quite 100%. Managed to get very good cold and flu tablets from the chemist that seem to have worked really well (at half the prescribed dose). Did go and water the garden this evening – nearly carted away with the mozzies!

Just had a read of all your wonderful posts. Thank you for my well wishes – helps make me feel good even when I feel ‘yuck’!

So glad you are enjoying your bridge Thin – very good brain exercise and, I imagine, lots of fun. Have a very Happy Birthday next week – we’ll all be thinking of you and sending good wishes for a wonderful day.

All the best for your first open home inspection on Sunday LJoyce – I feel that a quick sale is in order as your home looks just perfect. Also congrats on your new low kgs – all the milestones feel very rewarding, happy for you. Hope you feel ok after having your treatment.

So glad you found what works and you now feel much better Cinque. Adding lemon and a pinch of salt sounds like a great idea, especially if we don’t drink enough water to start with!

Big hi to everyone else as well, be you posting, browsing, or just having a rest. There are a few names that I haven’t seen for a while – you are surely missed!

Must go, getting a bit weary. Enjoy whatever you may be getting up to, and bye for now!

Good morning everyone,
    Poor Arelkade, I can hear your tiredness in your post. I do hope you get to 100% soon. Keep resting and looking after yourself as much as you can.

Thin, thanks for the clues but (I’d be no good at bridge) if it is the fast day we share, I have to work out if it is the one when your daughter is flying off, or the one when she returns. What day does your week start on, when you say ‘next week’?
    It is lovely that there is such a big Bridge community. I hope it keeps being interesting and enjoyable.

LJoyce so glad the photos are done and it is all rolling ahead. So pleased it was an easy infusion. How lovely that you had a chance to do some cooking. I am very glad that cool weather and rain are coming from your direction.

This might really be the last day I have to peg up an old sheet to protect my seedlings. They are coming along so well. Even the selfsown rocket I transplanted and then nearly let the sun kill it, has sparked up after living under a plantpot for a few days.

I had a really fasty fast day yesterday. There is some interesting research up on another thread https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/related-science-articles-people-might-be-interested-to-read/page/14/#post-251060
    It says fast days work best if what you do eat is low in vitamin C and E (antioxidants).

My kimchi is wonderful but just one cabbage made so much. I managed to give a jar to my sister, but I still have 3 jars. On Wednesday I managed to have kimchi and chickpea flour pancakes for breakfast, and kimchi and sweet potato frittata for lunch. Today I will add it to my soup. I love the stuff! Kimchi with everything!

I’m off to do some work. It is my turn to work on the business plan. I’m excited!
    Cheers all I hope it is a good day.

Cinque, pleased to hear that Yam Daisy is still in the works and that you had a successful FD yesterday. Cinque you are a very good detective – because you are a great listener. More clues to follow perhaps.

LJ, I think I may have forgotten to say ‘well done’ on your new low weight (prompted by Arel’s post, another attentive listener). I hope your house is now proudly on display on the appropriate website attracting lots of hits. How will you spend your time while it’s open for viewing? If it’s like WA, you need only drive to the end of your street, make a U-turn and return. The homes are open for the blink of an eye and then the agent dashes off to the next place.

Arel, glad you’re feeling better and thanks for your good wishes – I am accepting them on whichever day they are offered!

Just a quick post before I head out to the garden to hunt down any cheeky weeds.
    The online ad for my house is up. I thought I’d share some of the photos they included in the ad as they were taken with a wide view lens.
    Outside: https://imgur.com/a/AE6Zh
    Inside: https://imgur.com/a/65FWI

The for sale sign (with photos) should go up at the bottom of the driveway sometime today.

LJoyce – how beautiful is that – if I had the money I would buy it, sight unseen!!!

Magnificent LJ! Who’s going to be eating those cookies? 😆

Sybs, thankyou – do you really want to move to the other side of the country?

Thin, I’ve told the agent that he can offer the biscuits to those who come to the open inspection, if he thinks it’s appropriate. I thought it added a homely touch. That’s not to say that a biscuit might not find it’s way into my tummy at some point – one already has!
    You are right about the short opens. I remember when places were always open for an hour – these days it’s usually 30 mins.

As I’m doing NFDs for the whole weekend I decided that today needed to be a controlled day (I’ve already fasted twice this week). I’m sort of following a normal FD pattern today (one meal and fruit if needed), but with more generous food choices. I had 2 pieces of fruit for lunch and am just about to have a plum with a pot of tea. Dinner is leftovers from last night – mixed veggie mash with a stew of beef sausages, lentils, mushrooms and onions. It’s nice warm filling meal – very suitable now that the weather has just turned cold.

The rain arrived about half an hour ago, it’s meant to turn into thunderstorms tonight. I just hope it doesn’t bring any trees down on my place. At least I won’t have to spend 3-4 hours watering daily as I have been.

I have compiled my list of properties to visit over the weekend. I’m trying to get to 7 opens tomorrow and 2 on Sunday. Hopefully one of them will be close enough to perfect for me.

Hope those of you fasting are having an easy time.

LJoyce, your home is beautiful! The photographer did a great job of capturing all the rooms, both indoors and out. They look larger than they did in the photos from your cellphone. The water tanks outside look like they would hold enough water to last half the summer. Do they only get the rain that falls on them, or is there some type of runoff drain from rain that falls on the roof? We’re starting to see some much smaller ones advertised and in a couple of the stores around here. In California they would be very useful since it rarely rains in the summer.

I hope you find lots of suitable homes to move into. It would be nice if there were a few that fit your needs. You’ll probably get a quick sale on your home. Open houses here last several hours, or at least they did the last time we were looking.

Thin, you should have a lot of extra brain cells by your birthday next week, with all the bridge lessons and practice recently. 🤓 I had no idea that 100 people would show up for a bridge practice session. Hopefully it was a large enough place to accommodate them all.

Cinque, that study on Vitamin C and E was interesting, but it was too small of a study to really know that for sure. It seems kind of hard to believe, doesn’t it? But who knows?
    I went briefly to the op shop late this afternoon and found a pair of taupe lightweight cargo pants and a short sleeved white blouse that I wanted to go with a couple jackets this summer. Both looked almost new. I really enjoy going there, looked for unexpected treasures for not much money.

Arel, I hope you’re feeling better by the time you read this. I had a bad cold/flu a few weeks ago and it took about a week to get back to feeling better. It seems like this one is going all around the world. So many people on different threads here seem to have gotten it.

LJoyce, is your vegetable mash all of those root vegetables just chopped up and mixed together, or do you actually mash them together, like in mashed potatoes? It does sound good.

Cali,
    This time I made the mixed veggie mash the easy way. I put the carrot and potato into a big pot of salted water to boil for 15 minutes (they take longer so they go in first), then added the butternut, sweet potato and cauliflower and boiled for about another 15 minutes – I just stick a knife through the various veg to make sure everything was cooked. I don’t even peel the carrots or potatoes – just scrub them well. I cut everything into quite large chunks (the larger the pieces the less water they absorb). Once cooked I drain off the water and leave them to sit for about 15 minutes. I then remove the cauliflower and squeeze the water out, then put it back in the pot. I add lots of freshly ground pepper and whatever other flavours I feel like. Yesterday I added a big dollop of low fat cream cheese and a little unsalted butter. I have also been know to use parmesan cheese, minced garlic, fresh parsley or fresh thyme leaves. Normally I’d use a potato masher or a stick blender to mash it all together, but yesterday I just used a fork, which makes a lumpy texture that’s a bit like champ (Irish mash) rather than a smooth puree.
    If you have the time, you can bake the butternut, sweet potato and white potatoes whole and boil the carrots and cauliflower. You then have to scoop the baked veg out of their skins and add it to the drained boiled veg before mashing. It’s more work and takes longer but you get less water in the mash and a better flavour from the baking.
    The reason I like a mixed veg mash is that I just have to make one thing and I have a range of veg – it beats having 3-4 saucepans on the stove just to get veg variety.
    Cali, when I bought this house it ran entirely on rain water and wasn’t connected to the mains water supply – I added all those pipes. All the rainwater is caught on the roof of the house and drains into the 2 tanks that are close to the house. There are another 2 tanks up the back of the property. To get the water from the catchment tanks up the hill to the back ones requires a pump, which I no longer have since the last one died. Collecting rainwater off the roof into a rainwater tank has been the norm in Australia. I think it’s part of the building code (in my state anyway).

Good morning,
    Your cold wind has arrived LJoyce, and rain expected. So excited for my garden.
    You’ll definitely want that fire going if it is like this over there tomorrow.
    The pictures are wonderful. You seem to have nailed everything perfectly! Congratulations.
    Hope you find some nice homes today. (Was it today you are going looking?)

You are right Cali, that link was to a very small study.
    Nice OpShop work. I had a fail last week when I bought a skirt without trying it on, and it is too big. Oh well, I do have enough skirts already!

Thin, best wishes to your daughter for her trip. Hope she gets rid of lots of ticks and does some welcome neutering too. I’ve got a good contingency plan if I miss your next clue.

Merry, haven’t you finished your project yet?

I’m off to see the little ones today. We’ll need raincoats so I can take them for a ‘wok’.

Day before fast day for me, but cheers for those who are having a Saturday Fast, and those who plan on mindful healthy eating today.

Good morning SHs from a cold wet and windy Adelaide. I had to drag our some winter clothes this morning to go house hunting. I get to wear my new purple poncho that I bought at a second hand store a couple of weeks ago.

In an effort to avoid the temptations of fast food and bakeries today I made a pot of oat-barley-rye porridge for breakfast. I now feel quite full and hopefully it will stay that way for a while as I think it will take quite some time to digest the coarser grains – they certainly take a bit of chewing. In deference to that research about raw honey being helpful to our gut bugs, I took great delight in drizzling a teaspoon of honey over the bowl of porridge.

At the last minute my best friend has decided to come with me today – that way I can look at the surrounding streets while she drives. I have a full day planned, with 7 open inspections from 11am onwards.

Given that I started my day with porridge it is obviously a NFD. Hopefully one with good choices.

Cinque, enjoy your day with the grand kids, hopefully there will be a break in the rain for a walk with them. When you pull skirts off the rack, do you overestimate size, thinking you are bigger than you actually are? I think a few of us still do that.

Cali, well done on your op shop finds. Looks like we’ve converted you to the joys of rummaging through second hand clothes. I think that part of the joy is that we are finally able to buy the “thin” clothes that everyone else has donated because they can’t fit into them anymore – just like we used to do when we gained weight.

Arel, I’m pleased to hear you are finally feeling better.

Thin, has the family all left yet? Hope your daughter enjoys this vet experience as well, she’s certainly getting variety.

Well I might do a little bit of cleaning before I leave so there is less for me to do tonight.

Have a nice weekend.

LJ, I hope you’ll be able to remember which was which while looking at all those homes. Perhaps you can follow one piece of advice for homebuyers in CalifD’s recent link by taking some notes. Great that you can examine the neighbourhoods as someone else does the driving. If I ever buy another suburban home, I plan to camp outside and make sure I know what it looks and sounds like at all hours. Good luck with it all. I have a feeling it will all fall perfectly into place.

CalifD, yes that Bridge Club is enormous. A sort of L shape allowing it to be divided into two levels of beginner groups. And when I returned in the afternoon, having left my precious notes behind, it was equally packed with the more stern, serious looking experienced players. I think we were having more fun. Perhaps that’s why some confessed to having been in the beginners’ group for two years or more!

Cinque, have fun playing in the rain. Too bad about the skirt being too large but at least you only paid $22. I had turned on my central heating last week but now it’s warmed up again. We have a last gasp 32C forecast for next week. I’m glad all your seedlings have survived. Thank you for your good wishes for DD’s spey trip and I will remind her about checking herself for ticks as well as the hounds.

LJ, OH has been away up north for two weeks. Today they wanted to send him to Alice Springs but there was no connecting flight so he is about to land in Perth in about five minutes (I must hurry to get to the airport) and will leave again tomorrow at 6am. So we have an unexpected bonus of him being home. (Quick clean up and pretend I’ve been doing things other than practicing bridge for two weeks). DD leaves at noon tomorrow. CalifD, to give you an idea of the vastness of this state, OH’s commercial flight takes two hours to get from Perth to the closest airport to where he’s been working and it’s another 1800kms from there to where our DD will be working! Must go.

Thin, WA is huge! I found a map comparing WA to CA: https://mapfight.appspot.com/western.australia-vs-california/western-australia-australia-california-us-size-comparison

Here’s another interesting map show Aus climate areas to the climates in other parts of the world: https://awol.junkee.com/this-fascinating-map-shows-us-australias-climate-twins/30294 Thin, LJoyce and Cinque have weather similar to different parts of California. It seems to me though that Adelaide and Melbourne get hotter in the summer than the Bay Area and are more like the Sacramento area.

Thin, were you able to recover your notes? It is sad if you lost them.

Cinque, have fun with your grandies, playing in the rain.

LJ, can’t wait to hear about your house hunting adventures. Hope you remember to take pictures so you’ll remember which is which afterward. After you’ve seen a few they all seem to combine in your mind with all the different floor plans and such. Glad you have a friend to go along.

Interesting maps CalifD! Is this how you spend your down time when you’re on the road? Thanks, yes my file of lesson notes was at the club exactly where I left it – what an idiot, obviously this is doing nothing for my brain!

Hi SHs,

Of the seven houses I looked at, I found 2 homes that I really liked. One had just been put under contract and final offers close on the other this Tuesday. Unless I get a brilliant offer myself tomorrow, that will be too soon for me to make a serious offer. However there were some pluses. I did find new areas within my search zone that I really like and I hadn’t looked at properties there before. I’m also a lot clearer on the type of compromises I’d prefer not to make.
    It was such a mixed bag, with some houses carefully staged like mine and other just exploding at the seams with the current owners stuff – clearly some of them haven’t heard of storage PODS.
    There was one open I drove to and decided to just keep driving. It was a nice house, but it had “the hoarder next door” on steroids. The neighbouring property had a front and side yard (couldn’t see the back) full of junk – old bikes, prams and all sorts of rubbish. I don’t envy the agent who’s trying to sell that property. Can you imagine the vermin that would live amongst all that junk.

My aunt is in hospital so I visited her after the house hunting, then came home to clean the house – yet again. Tomorrow all I have to do is make my bed and then try to restore some order to the garden after the stormy day we’ve had – the lawn and paving is a bit of a mess. There is still more rain forecast tomorrow, so I may be fighting a losing battle trying to get it clear of leaves.

Thin, enjoy your unexpected night with your OH, though it sounds like they all desert you again tomorrow – time for more bridge.

Cali, I didn’t need to take photos. You get a glossy brochure at each place that contains a floor plan, and lots of photos. They also have even more photos attached to their online ads. I do take a list of the places I’m going to with me that includes my comments from the pictures I’ve seen online, and also some queries I have that I need to either look at or ask the agent about. I add more comments as I walk through. I found that the more properties I visited today the clearer I got about what to focus on. I’m hoping that will help me eliminate more places by looking at their online ads and just going to the open inspections for those I’m likely to be happy with.

My NFD went fairly well, although I was craving a treat after dinner so I pulled a date scone out of the freezer and had that warmed up with a cup of tea.

I better get an early night as I need to be doing my last minute prep on the house from 7am.

Good Morning
    another beautiful day in FNQ!
    in case anyone is interested, tomorrow evening, Monday 16 April, on SBS at 8.30pm MM “trust me….”
    Michael joins volunteers in a study to discover whether just changing your diet can lower cholesterol as much as taking drugs like statins
    FD today, so just enjoying a black coffee, which I have actually become used to – never thought that would happen
    Off to Rusty’s Market to get fresh fruit and vegies – I usually go on Sunday because the traders mark down prices before packing up, which means that for around $10 I can get almost all the produce I need for a week.

Good luck today LJ.

Sybs, I have tried so hard to make myself like black coffee, I just can’t deal with it even with the most freshly ground, high quality beans. Consequently, I am enjoying my almond & coconut milk coffee this morning. It does make the frothy coffee days all the better though.

I hope you had a lovely day yesterday Cinque and that your absence this morning isn’t because you’re worn out.

Good morning everyone,

I hope today’s prep is going well LJoyce. I love your way of doing things, all things are pointing to you ending up in a lovely home that suits your needs perfectly. Then all you will have to do is find an acrofit class to join.
    Sending good wishes for today’s inspection, may all the right people turn up.

Hi Sybs, thanks for the TMIAD thumbs up. Love a trip to a veggie market! Envious of your weather, we only need one cold, wet, windy day for me to start complaining about Melbourne!

The garden got its rain: cold, hard rain. I think my basil will curl up and die. I made pesto last night (yum), but I had better harvest the lot and make a bigger batch.

Great maps Cali, yes, WA is huge and wonderful. And all those climate connections to California! But Sybs and JJulie, in Florida 😉

Thin, nice to have your OH home. 🙂

That beginners group for bridge does sound lovely, I think I’d like to be there for two years, if I could get there at all.

That skirt cost a whole $4! But I will donate it to a shop with a good charity. Giving twice.

I’m not quite sure what my concept of my size is. It can be so confusing (especially when marked sizes don’t match the standard) I’m also not always sure what will actually suit me. I really need to try things on! But it is a nice game.

Had a wild walk in freezing wind and horizontal rain with the littlies that made the three year old cry til we found some big puddles to splash in and then bought chips to warm us up. The little one just walked happily along, trying to avoid holding my hand. She is such a dag. It was a great adventure.

The cold weather is making me hungry this fast day. I might make the veggie soup I meant to make on Friday, so I can have a cup of that if I need it.

Sybs, I’m impressed that you are drinking your fast day coffee black.

Thin, just in case: https://fyf.tac-cdn.net/images/products/large/BF107-11K-BBU.jpg

Just took a long time writing Thin 🙂 .
    1. Haven’t had coffee yet.
    2. Cold makes me slower.
    3. The cat was on my lap and kept demanding I stop typing and scratch her head. Plus a bit of letting her out and letting her in again.
    4. Yesterday did wear me out!

Will make coffee now and hopefully get some things done! 😉

Good morning Cinque. And thank you for the flowers!

Hi everyone

It’s a gorgeous Sunday morning at the moment – Sun is shining, birds are singing; think I’ll spend some time in the garden this morning. My head still feels ‘fuzzy’ and sinuses still a bit wet with this head cold, but overall so much better than last Sunday! Been resting and a little lazy this last week, but finally feel like getting out and achieving results, be they pleasure, 5:2, or just because! Thank you all once again for all the well wishes – much appreciated.

Not sure whom it was that posted the link to magnesium oil, but after reading same, went to local health food store and purchased same, ready-made, with the intend on buying the magnesium flakes, at a later date, to make my own and using my current bottle to store it in. Thank you for the link!

Cinque: so glad your seedlings are doing well. Hopefully your cooler temperatures – 19’C top today, won’t cause any harm! Is it easy to make your Kimchi as it sounds like you really like it, and is it similar to sauerkraut. I’ve seen Yam Daisy mentioned as your new intended business, but was wondering what it will be – I thought a special type of café, but maybe not! All the best with doing up your business plan – sounds exciting for you. Enjoy your time with the little ones, they bring so much joy.

Thin: your bridge club sounds like a whole lot more fun as a beginner, than the more serious experienced players – I think I’d stay as a beginner if it was me playing bridge – rather laugh, and have happy brain cells, than be competitive! Sounds like your home is very busy with all the comings and goings of family members. I’ve also tried to like black coffee, but knowing this WOL is a lifetime commitment, settled on full cream milk instead so I can enjoy my coffee, or tea, as I truly like it!

LJoyce: Thinking of you today as you have your first open home inspection day – all the best for a quick sale, and equally, for a quick and fulfilling purchase that meets all your needs! Who knows, you may have a few really interested buyers, who then have to outbid each other, and the monetary result could be amazing and well above your current expectations – your home looks delightful, I’d struggle to leave it if it was mine! If it’s still cold over there, enjoy your first slow combustion fire for the year! I agree with Sybs – beautiful!!! I also wondered, as Thin did, about the cookies – I liked your answer! Enjoy visiting all the properties on your list and hopefully there will be a few that are perfect – decisions, decisions! Best wishes for your Aunt having a speedy recovery and being home soon.

Calif: so happy for you with your op-shop purchases – your buying for Summer, we are buying for Winter: so nice to have worldly friends!

Sybs: Enjoy your FD and your time at the market – our Farmer’s Markets have the best fruit and veg – no comparison in taste to local shops ie Coles or Woolies.

Hi to all others, be you losing, gaining, plateauing, maintaining, or lurking – we have all made a very good choice with this WOL, and ongoing support is wonderful – thank you! Have a wonderful Sunday everyone.

Time to get out into the garden – enjoy whatever you are getting up to and bye for now!

I totally overspent today – I love cauliflower and bought one, but at $6 it mucked up my budget. And to top it all off, I also bought a Mezzaluna for $4 – a steal, since the brand I got costs $16 retail.

Sybs, I saw that you purchased a mezzaluna and figured that was another type of e optic Aussie fruit. After Googling it, I see that it’s a type of knife. I’ve seen those I the stores but never knew the name of them. Ouch! on the $6 price of the cauliflower. I hope it was a large one! I thought the $4 prices I often see here was high.

Cinque, I can just imagine you and the littles out in the cold pouring rain. I’m with the 3 year old – I would have cried too! Hot chocolate in front of a warm fire is a more civilized place to spend a rainy day. 😉 It sounds like the younger one is turning more independent, with a sense of adventure. Since LJoyce didn’t like our other exercise ideas, maybe the Acrofit classes would be more acceptable. I see they involve trapezes. Maybe she will find a home with a big chandelier instead. 😁 https://www.fashiongonerogue.com/sasha-luss-swings-chandelier-new-dior-addict-campaign/
    http://theybf.com/2010/07/21/foolery-diddy-flashes-his-manties-for-gq-mag

LJ, good luck on your open home showing today. I’m so excited to hear how it goes. Hope the weather is nice.

Thin, Happy Whenever It Is! https://sf.tac-cdn.net/images/products/large/TBC01.jpg

Thin – best wishes from one Aries to another

optic = exotic (missed that)

Hi SHs,

Thankyou Sybs, Thin, Arel, Cinque & Cali, for the well wishes for my first open. I was mostly prepared, I just couldn’t rake the leaves off the lawn due to the unrelenting rain. I haven’t heard how it went – I told the agent it was fine to call me tomorrow unless there was urgent news. I can tell by the footprints on the tiled porch floor and the missing biscuits that at least a few people came through.

I saw two homes and drove past two others but none will suit me.

Sybs, it’s so good that you have a local market for sourcing fresh fruit and vegies. That’s one of the things I’ll miss about living here, having access to fruit and veg that’s grown in the area.
    I saw the TMIAD listing and was trying to figure out if it’s a new series or a repeat. I usually have to watch an episode or two before I start remembering things I’ve seen before.

Cinque, what is acrofit? I’m almost too scared to ask. I suspect it’s something that’s beyond my ability and agility.
    Oh dear god, I’ve just read Cali’s comment on acrofit – tapeezes, seriously, are you ladies trying to kill me? I’m trying to stay fit AND alive here.
    Cali, unfortunately the weather was very wet for my first open. Luckily my competition had the same weather, but I suspect the number of people who came to the open was probably down a bit. The forecast is predicting sunny high-20s temps for next weekend so the garden should show much better and hopefully encourage more people to drive to the hills to look at houses.
    Also on a positive note, when I came home I couldn’t get into my driveway – someone was parked across it while they read the For Sale billboard.

Arel, it sounds like you are on the mend if not clear headed again yet. I really hope your morning in the garden helped you feel better.

Thin I’ll ditto Cali, happy birthday for whichever day it is.

I went out for lunch – a very belated birthday lunch with my best friend. We went to a cafe called Froth & Fodder. Very trendy and popular (which means it was filled with people half my age) and quite nice food. They have plenty of meat options but cater quite well to vegetarians too. I had beef brisket quesadilla with black beans, avocado, salsa and jalapeno. Yummy and extremely filling. Not that feeling full stopped me eating 2 biscuits with my cup of tea when I returned home. Good thing I’m fasting tomorrow.

Evening cherubs. Long time no on here 🙂

Too much has been happening for me to be on here. Too much stress, too much sickness, too much BS. Anyway enough of that.

LJoyce your house is absolutely beautiful. I love, love, love the floors – my folks had polished floors in their house in Mount Isa. Gorgeous. And your garden, OMG. We live on a “large” block in Perth (about 680m2). They are now selling blocks that are only 200m2+ – a postage stamp is bigger.

To all the other lovely ladies on here, I hope our FD’s have been easy and productive. Mine have been up and down, pretty much the same as my weight. I think I am going to have to rethink what I am putting into this big gob of mine.

I confess I have a question to ask that may seem weird to some but I have no idea what Miso Soup is. I have seen a heap of recipes for Miso soup being low in calories but I have no idea what it is or what it tastes like etc. HELP!!!

Hope everyone has a greatt week ahead.

Cheers Paula

Hi PaulaMac – I am one of the newbies here. Miso is a paste based on fermented soya beans, and can be found in the Asian food section of Coles – I guess Woolies as well. It comes in red, white or yellow. Basically you dissolve the paste in water and use it as a base for soups. Be careful, it has quite a high salt content (in case you are watching your salt intake).
    It sounds as if you have had a bit of a rough time, hope the new week brings better things for you

Hiya Sybscairns, thanks for the info about the Miso paste – does it have a specific taste? Like soya sauce or bitter or sweet or hot as in chillis? I don’t eat a lot of salt so I will watch it and how much I use. I do not want anything too salty. I am assuming you are in Cairns, or am I way off base with that assumption? I haven’t been a member long myself and found all of these lovely people so very helpful, so welcome. This week will be like all the others in the past 2 years, appointments, appointments, appointments. Have a great one yourself. 🙂

Welcome back, Paula! Good to see you again. I’m sorry to hear that you’ve had a rough month. Hope things will be looking up now.

Miso isn’t bitter, sweet or hot. It’s salty which can sometimes be a good thing on a FD when you’re not eating a lot of other things with salt which can occasionally cause headaches. (Or so I’ve read.) It’s hard to describe the flavor. I guess it would be closest to soya sauce or a tofu type flavor, but it really has its own mild flavor. The different colors of paste each has its own flavor, but even the “sweeter” ones aren’t really sweet in the sense of a dessert type thing. It’s subtle. It’s a nice base for soups. You could add any veggie, but mushrooms seem to be a popular choice here. You can also buy it dehydrated, in single or multiple serving sachets. I use the paste, in tubs, like Sybs mentioned, but that lasts for months unless you have it many times per week. The sachets might be a better way to try it without a big commitment. But it’s so mild flavored that you would probably like it, unless you don’t like salty things or have to seriously watch your salt intake.

Arel, glad to hear you are having some warm, sunny days. Maybe that will help to dry out your sinuses. Some nice fruits and vegetables, especially greens, can sometimes help with getting over the flu and colds. Hope you have your appetite back. (For healthy foods!)

Good morning everyone, I am up early enjoying my ‘morning after fast day’ feeling with pleasure.

Paula, so glad to see your post, but sympathies for the rough time you are having. Hoping the BS calms down as your stress levels and your health would probably improve. It is so hard to do things for your health when you are dealing with stress so congratulations for keeping on with 5:2, and probably for just going up and down and not ballooning. All power to you.

Here is my bit on miso.
    It is one of the staples of Japanese food, and when I first had it I figured it was a vegetarian version of the ‘Bonox’ we had growing up. It is a paste that, mixed with hot water, makes a savoury, salty broth. (not super salty)

In Japan they make miso with a stock called ‘dashi’ that is generally made with seaweed and dried fish flakes, so it adds a bit of sea to the flavour. (But it can be made with water or other stock). Then all sorts of vegetables, fish and maybe meat, are simmered in the stock. Then mix the miso paste in and maybe add some garnishes.

The miso paste itself is not boiled, it is made from fermented soybeans and grains and gradually turns into something that is almost like vegemite. Because it is fermented it is full of wonderful probiotics and these would be killed if it was boiled.

So, it is a light and healthy soup full of goodness. In Japan it can be eaten for breakfast, lunch and supper. The miso pastes are judged like wine! People arguing over their characteristics and subtleties. But in Australia people are more likely to make miso from the little sachets that have the lovely savoury flavour, but none of the probiotics.

I have it as my evening meal every fast day because a big bowl of that salty savouriness (I add salt) is just what I need on a fast day.

Off to get a cup of tea and respond to other posts.

Arelkade, so lovely to hear of you feeling a bit better. I hope you had your lovely day in the garden and that it did you good.

It NEARLY got to 19 degrees here yesterday, and the garden here seems to be coping more easily than I am.

I think kimchi is related to sauerkraut as kimchi is the Korean version of Asian fermented cabbage, and they say Ghengis Khan introduced Asian fermented cabbage to Europe, which turned into sauerkraut. But (I just had to look it up 😉 ) sauerkraut is cut fine, is just cabbage, and is fermented longer, while kimchi is hot and includes other veggies (infact some are not made with cabbage at all). Mine was made with only a couple of days fermentation, instead of a few weeks, but I gather it will keep for at least a month in the fridge.

You are right about my community food project. YamDaisy intends to be a special kind of cafe, to make eating well easy for people, especially those with chronic illness, disability, or stressful lives. We are trying to make a start by partnering with another organisation and we came very close a year or so ago… so I was talking about it on here a lot. Gearing up now for our next try. http://www.yamdaisy.com/

Sybs, that must have been one beautiful cauliflower! The mezzaluna was a bargain, so they balance out!

Cali, haha that chandelier! LJoyce, I have friends who do and teach acrofit classes so that’s how come I thought of suggesting it for you 😉 I’ll find one of their videos doing a sequence. I wish I could do it.
    (A bit later) Can’t share any of theirs, but here is the sort of thing they do: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHsraMgYcYk

LJoyce, so glad to hear about your day, and keen to hear what the agent says today. Are you finding it stressful now? I hope it isn’t too bad.

Well, time to go and enjoy my delicious post fast day breakfast. Enjoy your day everyone!

Cinque – do you use dashi or just any other stock?

Hi Sybs, Most of the time I use the water the dried mushrooms have been soaking in, and just extra water.
    I tried making a vegetarian dashi (no bonito flakes) but I made it so subtle I couldn’t really taste it! I have some kombu knots left over, so sometimes I add a couple with the veggies and bring it to the boil slowly and then take them out. Can’t really taste them but figure they must be adding goodness. I might try making dashi again one day.
    Does anyone else make dashi?

Good morning SHs,

The agent said that about 20 groups came through the house yesterday. Two seriously interested and one possible. The next open is Wednesday late afternoon so that a person who missed the open can see it and another couple who want to see it again can come back. Most were viewing it as a house that they could and would extend. This isn’t a surprise to me as there is a large flat area next to the house that really lends itself to an extension.

Paula, sorry to hear things have been so stressful for you, I hope things improve soon.

I am an occasional miso user. I just use the single serve sachets that make about 500ml broth. I treat miso as an alternative to other soup stocks. I mostly use it when making asian style soups. Like Sybs, I find mine in the local supermarket but as Cinque has pointed out I’m missing out on the probiotics. I just don’t use it often enough to justify buying a pot of it.

I’m cooking this morning, making soups that will be the basis of meals for a while (and probably a bit for the freezer). I’m taking a saucepan of the pumpkin soup to my uncle shortly as he seems unable to fend for himself without my aunt there to cook for him. I think she’s likely to be in hospital for a week.

I’d better get going and make my soup delivery and then go and get more firewood.

I’m fasting and despite the cold weather it’s going well.

LJoyce, 20 groups in an afternoon would be considered a great turn out if it were here, even more so considering it was a rainy day. Are there only a few houses in your area for sale at this time? I’m not surprised though, it’s such a pretty house. It sounds like it could be sold before the week is over.
    I’m sorry to hear that your aunt is in the hospital. Tell her your friend in California wishes her a speedy recovery.

Cinque, you’re up early today. A sheet of crumbled nori (seaweed) gives miso a nice flavor. I often just add some small cubes of tofu, mushrooms and sliced onion.

Tomorrow (Monday) is another FD already. I’ve a little off all day today. My DS hasn’t felt good either and there are a couple people in her office that have been sick in the past week. Hope she didn’t bring a bug home. Hoping for a good nights sleep to get past this. Spring is in the air! A couple trees in our garden are covered with beautiful pink blossoms and flowers on a couple of the azaleas and the camellia today.

Cali, I was also surprised by the number of people who came to the open, given the weather. I suspect it’s because there is very little in my price bracket available here at the moment. I guess those who’ve been looking who will go to see each new listing when it first comes onto the market. There are also a few hills locals who are just nosey and go to every open that nearby.

How lovely that your azaleas and camellias are starting to bloom, they are two of my favourite plants. Camellias do really well in my town – I think they like the colder winters, hilly terrain and the naturally acidic soil. My soil is acidic enough that the hydrangeas turn blue without me needing to add anything to make it happen. I had a matched pair of lovely pale pink camellias (japonicas) in the garden that are now in large pots so that I can take them with me when I move. I didn’t leave “holes” I replaced them with other appropriate shrubs.

I’ve tried to get a bit ahead with some cooking today. I have 2 pots of soup made and I’ve also boiled half a dozen eggs as I find it easy to base lunch around a couple of hard boiled eggs. It should mean I won’t have to use anything but a microwave and toaster for a few days.
    I suspect I’m going to be hungry for my FD diner quite early today – cold weather tends to do that. I’ve mixed up 2 eggs, parmesan, spinach, broccoli and tomato to make an omelette.

A late post for me although I did get a chance earlier to read all the other posts since yesterday morning. Thank you for your virtual flowers CalifD and your well wishes LJ and Sybs. I hope you had/have a lovely birthday Sybs. How did you/will you celebrate?

I couldn’t add to the miso paste discussion because I, too, buy the sachets and use as needed. On my FD yesterday, I made a big pot of mung bean soup (not for the FD) and all I have to do tonight is add the spinach and tomatoes and cook for 10 minutes. I can hardly wait to squeeze in the lime juice and get started on it. And I will have it every night for ….. not sure how many nights it will last. Perhaps all week? It is very strange being here all alone but I am certainly not missing having to come up with something for dinner for the OFMs.

What an amazing number of people through your first home open and what a terrific result LJ – it’s at that early stage where you need the action and momentum so let’s hope those three parties all show more interest. As for those neighbourhood looky loos, I hope they didn’t eat too many biscuits or poke through too many undies drawers. That would be my biggest nightmare about selling. Hopefully with that many people, they all kept each other honest!

CalifD, lovely that your spring is in the air. I have edged up to 59.7kgs. Must have a cautious week.

Arel, I loved your post yesterday – birds singing and sun shining.

Cinque, looking forward to hearing the next instalment about Yam Daisy.

Oh yes, I went to Bridge this morning and my partner & I came 5th. Out of six. Oh dear. Not that we are at all competitive in our beginner mode. We are still having a laugh. But I think I prefer the smaller Monday group.

Thin, if they’re looking for a thrill, they’re barking up the wrong tree by rifling through my underwear drawer. I’m a sensible knicker girl, not a thong in sight. Do you think I should count them before each open to see if there’s a knicker thief out there? The agents say that the reason they takes names and numbers at opens is for security. I’m not sure I’d want to report that my valuables are all safe (I lock them away), but I’m missing a pair of knickers.
    Enjoy that mung bean stew. I have one lonely portion left in my freezer and am saving it for a FD when I feel like something special.

I fell better for today’s FD. It always makes me feel lighter and healthier especially after a day when I’ve eaten too much, or eaten the wrong foods.

Good morning,
    LJoyce, it sounds like all is going really well re the house. Sending good wishes for your aunt and uncle.
    Thin, coming fifth sounds fine to me. Onwards and upwards!
    Cali, crumbled nori in miso is a lovely idea!

I had such a good eating day yesterday. Delicious home made food and sensible portions. No snacks! Hope I can do it again today. And again tomorrow. And then it will be Fast Day!

Best wishes all

Good morning SHs,

It’s funny how I continue to imagine that eating a bit extra food or a high cal item on a NFD will put kilos on me. I know that hasn’t happened lately, my FDs are taking care of any poor choices I’ve made on NFDs, but I still think it will happen. It’s not unfounded, I have experience of temporarily gaining up to 3kg after a single restaurant meal. I guess I still expect this irrational response from my body. I find that each week I’m having a mental battle with myself over whether 2 FDs is enough to deal with the extras from the NFD. Despite knowing that lately 2 really has been enough because I’m more active now, I continue to distrust that recent pattern in favour of the old one I remember. The end result is that I seem to be adding either a third FD or more often a controlled day (800-1000cal) in most weeks. I think that’s largely why my weight continues to drop at the rate it is.
    I’m finding it hard to stop doing this. Partly from fear, but I think I’m also getting addicted to the seemingly effortless weight loss. That’s a very new experience for me. Part of me doesn’t want to put the brakes on this, and yet I know how unhealthy it usually is for me to focus on what I weigh.

Cinque, I need to get back to a NFD pattern that sounds like yours. Well done.

I’m sitting the lounge room with the autumn sun on my back. As my front windows face north I get lots of sun in the cold weather, unless it’s cloudy and wet like the last few days. It feels like a treat to have that warmth on my back.
    Today I can get out into the garden and clean up the leaves that litter all the lawns.

Have a good day everyone.

Morning girls. And boys if there are any these days. We seem to have scared away Joffy and Penguin.

LJ, it sounds like you might be ready to enter the next phase of your weight loss with added confidence. I know from what you’ve said in the past that you don’t want to put a lot of focus on your weight and that you’re perfectly happy where you are. I can also see that it could be tempting to attain a weight in the 60s as you’re now so close. If I were sitting opposite you sharing a pot of tea I’d probably suggest just seeing where it takes you without adding the third FD and without the pressure of trying to reach any particular goal.

I think it is those fears that you describe that keep thin people thin. Constant vigilance. I also sometimes think what if I wake up one day and just don’t want to do this anymore? Can I sustain this for the rest of my life? What happened to stalwarts like bayleafoz? Is four years long enough to accept that it is now my WOL? I do believe there’s a thin line (pun intended) between a food addiction and a fast addiction. At least that is the case for me. But with the latter, you’re in control of the food rather that it controlling your life. So I know where I’m happiest.

Cinque, it is lovely when we can be proud of our NFDs too! My mung beans were so good. I have the ingredients ready for my miso soup tomorrow. I eliminated the chicken as you know some time ago and will add a small stick of bean curd, some shiitakes and wombok. I have never heard the latter term before buying one this morning. Not to be confused with a wombat. I’d always thought it was a Chinese cabbage. Tomorrow, I am meeting a woman at a cafe that I first met at my garage sale and who is a new arrival to the area (from your neck of the woods CalifD). She told me she doesn’t drink coffee but will happily have a piece of cake. Being a FD, I shall be having a pot of peppermint and ginger tea. Setting a good example and perhaps finding another convert?

Hi everyone🙂

Hope you are all well and happily 5:2ing, the newbies are excitedly finding their clothes a bit looser, the maintainers contentedly maintaining, and the readers and lurkers, hope you’re 5:2ing or looking at getting started.

My project time is over, and unfortunately I wasn’t able to achieve world peace, but very happy with what I was able to achieve. In other words, I wasn’t able to finish in time for the deadline, about 15% still to do, but will continue working on it slowly now till the next opportunity comes along. And, sorry, I still can’t tell you what it is.

Now OH and I are looking after grandchildren through 2 weeks of school holidays while their parents are working. Today is a low energy day, as I overdid it a bit yesterday. Keeping track of a busy,busy 5yr, old with no fear, on an extensive tidal rock platform at the beach, was an exercise in itself. The blueringed octopuses are having a bumper year this year around here.

Away from home, not in my own kitchen, is always a bit of a challenge. I was staying in the 64kgs quite well, going down slowly, but back up to 66right now. Eating gluten free bread, and carbs always whack the weight on me, then it goes quickly when I stop.

Back later,
    Onwards and downwards,
    Merry

Lovely to hear from you Merry. Hope you will have more time for us now that your deadline has passed. There’s always next year (I assume).

Hi everyone.

Merryme, great to see you back here! Sorry to hear that you didn’t have time to finish your project, but accomplishing 85% is still a cause for celebrating. We’ll look forward to having you back here more often now. 2 weeks with the grandies ought to get you plenty of exercise, whether or not you need it.

Cinque, happy to hear you had a good controlled NFD. It sounds like we all need more of those. I know I certainly do. I’d like to stay below my 59 kg goal or maybe set a new one at 58.

Thin, I guess I have that fear of waking up one day and deciding I’m tired of fasting. But I hated being overweight and feeling heavy. Doing 5:2 isn’t really very difficult so I don’t know why I’d give it up. I think buying new clothes, even at the op shops will keep me motivated. The only problem is that I have plenty of jeans and pants now and will run out of closet space for them if I buy many more. (I did get rid of a box of unloved old clothes yesterday, with more to follow.) So is trading being overweight with being a clothes hoarder a good option? 😁🙄

LJoyce, I think just continuing like you are with losing can’t be a bad thing. You can always stop and maintain from wherever you are. But I know that it’s hard not to obsess over weight sometimes. Maybe the thing is just to keep busy or to find something else to obsess over. 😁 You could always obsess over your floors in your new home and keeping them as shiny and beautiful as the ones in the house you’re leaving. That will be no small task with all the rollerblading, salsa dancing and jumping from chandeliers! 🤣😆😉

Hi Thin and CaliD,
    Thanks for the welcome back😀 Good to be back among my 5:2 buddies.

Yes, that does mean I didn’t get finished for this year, but there’s next year to finish the other 15% for. I gave it a really good go though, and was able to do more than I could have a few years ago, so there’s a good side to the bad side. There was a section of it I knew would take quite a lot of time , but I still underestimated how much. I’m very happy with how it’s shaping up though, and very happy with the result of that section. I kept working right up to the end of the last hour of the deadline, by which time I needed some time off. Didn’t happen , been busy non-stop ever since lol.

I was going really well with FDs till the last week when I started stress eating a bit, and for me that always means starchy carbs. Given I barely left the house it was good to get out, go to movies and a couple of meals out.

I’ve brought my travel scales with me to my daughter’s house, and the goal is as usual to stay level.

Thin, how is the neighbour airbnb situation? Any response from council yet?

CaliD – you may not get tired of fasting. I don’t but when I fall of the horse it’s situational. The important thing is to keep going, or get back on the horse quicklly after the situation is over.

Welcome back Merry, I’ll add my praise for your hard work on “the project” and commiserations that despite that intense effort a pesky 15% remained. Having spent some years managing projects at work, I remember the stress and long hours to try and stick within deadlines and still do the quality job that is important to you.
    I can’t say that I think 2 weeks of looking after active grandkids full time qualifies as a break. But enjoy your time with them anyway – you can rest when you get home.
    I agree that the place or situation has an impact on eating behaviours and weight. At home is easier than being away and normal weeks are easier than special occasions like easter, christmas, birthdays… I think it’s because life often gets into a good rhythm that helps our habits and I find any break to the pattern usually spells danger. My current problem with wanting (and having) treats every FD started with easter. The pattern got interrupted and I haven’t managed to get back into it again yet.

Thin & Cali, thanks for the advice. I think I just need to commit to not adding extra FDs for a while, regardless of any overeating on other days. Even writing that down feels awfully scary. I suspect adding extra FDs actually increases my desire to eat treats on the NFDs. If I don’t stick to 2 FDs I can’t get back to my usual relatively healthy eating pattern. So I hereby promise to do no more than 2 FDs this week.

Cali, I think hoarding jeans and pants is preferable to hoarding pounds.

I had a productive morning. I needed to mend a wooden fence as some of the planks had either fallen off or were coming loose. I don’t own any outdoor extension cords so it took 3 indoor extension cords to reach all the way to the fence. Luckily putting in some screws with the electric drill was very straightforward. The fence is old but it looks ok now. Getting that done seemed to make me brave and I tackled something I really have no clue about. I have a section of pavers that don’t sit flat as rain has moved the sand under them. So I dug up the worst one and moved the sand around to level it out. Of course once I fixed that one the other looked worse, so I kept going and ended up doing the whole 2 metre section. It looks much better and I’m glad it worked out as I really didn’t know what I was doing.

I’m just having lunch then I’ll tackle the house cleaning.

Viewing 50 posts - 15,601 through 15,650 (of 28,005 total)

You must be logged in to reply.