Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,907 replies, has 831 voices, and was last updated by  thinatlast 2 days, 10 hours ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 15,001 through 15,050 (of 28,011 total)

• Have a great walk this morning Sybs and JJulie.

I’m a non-traveler with you Nap, we can enjoy everyone else’s jetsetting vicariously!

I am so glad you savoured your cheese sandwich and piece of pizza. That way the pleasure of them will last longer. And ooh how wonderful to have the soup and sauce from your homegrown tomatoes.

I’ve got heaps of tomato plants coming up from spreading my compost around. I’ve repotted a nice strong one, it will last through the winter in my sheltered garden. I’ve pulled out at least two dozen pumpkin seedlings, but very glad to see coriander (not from the compost, but self sown).

Glad to hear your judgement on milk Penguin. I have just a dash in my tea, but I’m so close to 8:16 otherwise!.

PS Did I confuse you about your young wife? because I gather your ‘health age’ is even younger! She’s a cougar!

Thin, I watched a bit of the pacemakers, it looked lovely, but I set up the fb live q and a with people from the gut program and then turned the tv off so I could concentrate. It was really interesting. Questions were coming in every few seconds! But they answered lots of interesting ones.

Some takeaways:

More and more evidence for the benefits of the Mediterranean Diet.

More and more evidence that ‘fibre’ in foods isn’t one thing, there are lots and lots of different kinds.

Reminder that the fodmaps is meant to be a 4 – 6 week intervention for people with IBS, not an ongoing diet.

Probiotics: the yeast and bacteria in foods (or supplements) that get down to your large intestine alive and that are good for your health
    Prebiotics: good food (mainly fibre) that gets down to the large intestine and feeds the good microbes
    Symbiotics: taking the the yeast and bacteria together with the food they need.
    and a new one
    Postbiotics: medicine/supplements containing the short chain fatty acids and the others things that the good microbes produce (which is why we need them).

Just to underline Cali’s weight changes, here is a typical graph of weight loss over 6 weeks. http://www.weightware.com/images/weighttrendgraph1.gif

I’m off to an early meeting (YamDaisy) over coffee. My plans for this year depend on how it goes, so I have my fingers crossed.

Best wishes everyone for your day!

Cali you were post 15,000!

I am going to have to give this system some study. Back tracking a page to look at the posts I lost what I had written. Considering that when I last worked for a living it was in IT, that counts as dumb.

Cinque, she is a cougar in chronological age as well – if two and a bit years older than me is enough to qualify. I have never called her cougar, but I have claimed to be a toy boy. If I disappear from this site she didn’t like cougar!

Cinque, wow, I’m honored to have the 15,000 post! Post # 10,000 was by Merryme on Dec. 31, 2016. That was before my time. 😁 Thin invited me over here from another thread on July 8, 2017 and I think it was Arel who said that I digitally migrated to Australia since then. 😁 I did notice lately that when I do a Google search it often comes up with .au sites, even when I’m looking up something unrelated. It must be because of all the links I click on here that all of you post.

Good morning everyone,

Cali, your daily chart reminded me why I do not weigh daily anymore. I was forever asking myself “how is that even possible?” I have a bad habit of letting my reaction to the scales affect my behaviour in unhelpful ways.

Thin, I didn’t watch the Pacemakers. I was tired last night and only lasted until the end of Catalyst.
    Cinque, thankyou for the list of takeouts as I didn’t listen to the discussion after the program. I can add one more thing to your list of takeouts from the program and discussion – honey. Despite years of being told that honey and sugar are both just empty calories, there is a big difference as honey helps the the good gut bugs (as long as you use the raw single-source honey, not the pasteurised blended honeys that are more common in supermarkets. I don’t add any sweeteners to my diet often, but on the occasions that I do I may be reaching for the honey instead from now on. Porridge is going to taste good this winter!
    http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/scienceshow/honey-offers-beneficial-boost-to-our-biome/8541442

Sybs and JJulie, I hope you manage to find each other and have a lovely walk. I’ve always found the time goes so quickly when I have someone to chat to as I’m walking.

Penguin I hope you and Mrs P are still feeling well after starting to eat normally again. Did you pay any special attention to the “refeeding” process? I’m assuming the book gives some pointers on how to do that.
    I bet those self-sown tomatoes don’t survive the first frost. I have to be careful here not to plant tomatoes too early in spring or the frost kills them.

I have appointments and errand that will take me out of the house for most of the day. I also have my hospital assessment this afternoon which should ensure I can continue my treatment drug for RA for another 6 months. I’m not expecting any problems passing the requirements.

Have a good day everyone.

LJoyce, didn’t you see penguin’s post on another thread about refeeding with “a very large gin and tonic”? 🐧 Well, hopefully he had some real food along with that! 😁

Penguin, it’s deadly to start a post and then flip back a page. When I must, I copy what I’ve already written before going back (I learned the hard way).

I found the Catalyst doco draining and didn’t stick it out. I’d enjoyed the previous episodes on the same subject. If you can watch The Pacemakers on iView, I recommend it. It’s about some inspirational 90 somethings around the world (UK, Peru, USA, etc) competing in running events in Perth and long jump in S. Korea. I want to be like them. One of the men, a retired UK dentist, opens the programme with the statement, “I didn’t start running until I was 95”.

Nap, did your OH believe that cutting down Sunday’s junk day meant that he could bring pizza home on a Tuesday instead? I think he needs a good talking to! CalifD has a lot of a restraint stopping at three slices. I could never have eaten pizza and expected to lose weight. Nowadays, like bread, rice, pasta, etc it’s just not on my menu and I can’t say I miss it at all. Once in a while I give pizza to the OFMs on a FD. Sometimes it smells rather nice but that’s temporary. Nothing tastes as good as being slim feels!

OH will be home from the back of beyond in Qld tonight. My objection to the change of land use next door is due tomorrow. I finished it last night (while watching Catalyst). I collected 59 signatures and was proud of my effort in a street with 42 houses. As mentioned, I know almost all of the residents so it was a time-consuming process warranting a big chat at each stop. I got to know a few more people too. I love my street and I hope the stupid council doesn’t destroy us.

Hi everyone
    My goodness – I’m so impressed with all the wonderful, encouraging and supportive posts over the last few days, especially in reply to Naptime and ongoing concerns.

Cinque, Thin, LJoyce, CalifD – well said, and shared, from each of you – I’m forever learning here, and what each of you write about: both from your individual experiences and knowledge shared is just amazing! I also learn a lot from each of the others as well and so glad you are all happy to ‘lead the way’ so willingly.

I now have to ‘reset my button’ – the last 2 weeks has been difficult, but will easily be overcome – just have to reset my mindset and get back on track again! I know 5:2 is doable and better than any alternatives.
    About a week ago, I started going through the different threads – came across a cholesterol one, and within it simcoeluv had a link, back in 2015, to a youtube video that included Dr Stephen Phinney, with another doctor, being interviewed for 1 1/2 hours re: insulin resistance, metabolic syndrome, etc. It really resonated with me as my insulin levels have been high for a long time – they mentioned ‘carbohydrate intolerance’ and why it’s so hard to lose weight. I’ve ordered the book and look foward to learning what I can do about the insulin levels, in association with 5:2. Being healthier would be my ultimate outcome!

So pleased for Penguin, Mrs Penguin and JustJulie for your recent extended fast results – well done all of you.

LJoyce – hoping all goes well for you in being able to continue you current assisted medication regime.

I have to promise myself to get back to checking posts daily, as trying to catch up with days worth is just too hard. I’m sure I’ve missed replying to so many. Think of you all often and thank each of you for just being there.

Enjoy whatever you are getting up to today and bye for now!

Hi Julie. Yes, another traveller! I live for it. There’s never a plane that flies overhead, that I don’t want to be on. How wonderful to be taking your daughter to Singapore. Have a wonderful trip. Mine this time is a bit of business (well, research) in Vietnam and all pleasure in HK. We often popped down to HK when we lived in China, so we’ve spent quite a lot of time there over the years. I highly recommend it Thin. Where did you go to in Vietnam? This time we are having 10 days in Hoi An before finishing up in Saigon for the work part.
    Penguin I laughed at the idea of tomatoes being weeds. I love it when the volunteers (do you use that expression in the UK?) pop up in my garden…my 3 year old grandson adores searching them out and picking the cherry tomatoes before popping them in his dear little mouth. On last year’s Easter egg hunt in the garden, Miss 4 found the eggs while he put all the little tomatoes in his basket.
    Calif thanks for the reminder about the weight fluctuations. It won’t keep me off the scales each day, but it will remind me it’s not always about weight.
    Where are you this morning Cinque? Hope you’re well.
    enjoy your day all.

Hi Arel – our posts crossed. Do you have the link, or the name of the book? Sounds like an interesting watch/read. Sorry you’ve been through a difficult time …hope the ‘reset’ does the trick.

Hi LindsayL
    Thank you for your comments.

I found this link by simcoeluv in the “higher cholesterol when fasting” forum, from 2015 – goes for 1 1/2 hours via interview on YouTube with Dr’s Stephen Phinney and Jeff Volek:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFD2q5iqevY

I hope it copied and pasted properly!

I found it very informative and hope you do too.
    Enjoy your day!

Hi again LindsayL

The book title is:

“The Art and Science of Low Cholesterol Living”

By Dr’s Stephen Phinney and Jeff Volek

Bye for now!

Arel, I hope the book gives you the answers you seek. Please stay with us but don’t feel you have to comment on everything – I’ve had a really busy few weeks and had to let some posts slip by. It feels rude not to respond but sometimes it’s overwhelming to go through all the ones we’ve missed. We love having you so join us when you can.

Lindsay, the first time we went to Vietnam, we went to Ho Chi Minh, spent a lot of time on the Mekong and travelled up to Hoi An where we stayed quite a while. There we met and sponsored a young girl for home schooling, spent time with the teacher at her home and arranged for the payments (a mere pittance for her uniforms, books and schooling) and then travelled to her fishing village to meet her family. Our DD was 5 then and she went out selling postcards with the local children every day! They called her ‘Nam Doi’ which means Five Years. Everyone wanted to touch her blonde hair. We also met a guy from Perth on that trip who has now been our very great friend for the past 18 years! We loved it so much that we went back the following year, this time to Hanoi and explored Halong Bay. Again we travelled down to Hoi An. I fear it would have changed a lot now that tourism has really opened up there.

This is the first year ever that we haven’t had at least one overseas trip planned. Our experiences in the hotels of Thailand last year have had a bit to do with that. Certain guests ruining the experience for everyone are enough to put anyone off travel. Merry, Cinque, yes PEACE is all I want! (As in peace and quiet).

My passion is Africa where we’ve been nine times for periods of up to a year. My OH worked in CAR for a year a couple of years back flying helicopters and living in a remote camp with US special forces. Incredibly, he ended up staying about 50 miles from a village in Zaire as it was then where my girlfriend and I ended up for 3 months just before hitching from Nairobi to Cairo in 1980. I never expected to know anyone who would be able to share that experience – and I had no photos so it was amazing to see OH’s photos and re-live the experience.

Hi Thin
    Thank you for your understanding comments.

I love reading every post and, like you said, it does get overwhelming to try and answer each one. You are all so interesting with lives in general, and also so knowledgeable with 5:2, I wouldn’t like to offend anyone by appearing to ignore them, as that is not the case. I appreciate each of you, and 5:2 is the best WOE/WOL and fits into my way of thinking perfectly.

We all deserve a big pat on the back for what we all achieve from this method – both in being healthier, and also weight loss – with a bit of weight gain just to keep us on our toes. I’m in for the long haul!

Have a great day everyone!

Thin I just watched The Pacemakers…I’d recorded it. What an excellent attitude those older athletes have. I must say though I found the 97 year old dentist a real creep…. going online looking for a relationship (all power to him) but then being so hypercritical of the bodies of the women on the site. Wouldn’t you think that by age 97, he’d have learnt there’s more to women than their bodies.
    Arel many thanks for the link and for the book title. It’s great to have this information from a fellow traveller.
    Thin your travel sounds amazing. How extraordinary that you and your OH share such an experience.
    Your sponsorship to educate a Vietnamese child would be life-changing for her and her family.
    I worked in HCMC and Hanoi for a couple of years, and first went to Hoi An about ten years ago, I guess. We go back a couple of times a year and I don’t see much change at all … I guess its World Heritage listing protects it to a degree. Unfortunately we do see the development around the beach, and back up towards Danang, encroaching every time we go back.

Lindsay, I’m afraid I just thought it hilarious. I’m not very PC as everyone knows by now. What did strike me was the state of his teeth for a dentist!

Are you at liberty to say what kind of work you did in Vietnam? It’s good to learn that things are changing slowly. For a communist country, they’re a nation of hard working capitalists. The Vietnamese are tough people. It’s funny how our western view on how things should be isn’t always correct. We were so taken with that beautiful young girl whose parents hadn’t been able to educate her (the state educates children until age 8 I think it was). If some years are missed, you can’t return to school unless you’ve been home-schooled to catch up with your year level.

Some months after returning home, the teacher contacted us to say that Nhung hadn’t been able to show up for home-schooling because her dad, a fisherman, needed the income she generated from selling postcards to support the mother and 7 siblings. Imagine a balance so fragile. We had inadvertently upset the economic balance of the family income. So many lessons learned – we decided against chipping in for the postcard revenue. But how wonderful that the teacher and her husband wanted to return our money when they could have just kept the monthly income payments and said nothing!

A couple of years after that, DD’s primary school teacher went to Hoi An. We armed her with a photo of Nhung and some gifts for the family and of course she only had to show the photo to some street kids to be taken straight to her. We received a beautifully written letter in return – she had remembered us and Nam Doi. I’m sure that Nhung, now a young lady, has done very well; anyone willing to learn English and get involved in the tourist industry was destined to thrive……I’m more of an observer these days.

Whoa, way off topic. It’s a nice way to spend a FD reminiscing about travels though. Almost time for my cauliflower soup ritual.

Hello all….yes im still around but havent logged on for ages. Hope everyone is going well. I am sooo busy but extremely happy and content. OH is still spoiling me to the max and MissD turns 10 on Saturday..
    Wow where has that 10 years gone ?

Kefir question – we’re going away for a weeks on Friday and I’m not sure what to do with my kefir. I need to strain it tonight (Wednesday) but not sure if once strained do i put the grains in fridge as they are, do i add milk and put them in the fridge of what else do i do to preserve the grains until i return.

Hi Everyone
    Sorry Its been so long since I posted. And I agree with you Arekade its so hard to keep up with all the conversations.
    I did watch some of the Pacemakers last night. The boys were watching it when I came home from pilates. i was worried some of those old men would fall flat on their faces!!
    Penguin, you make me laugh and I hope we do see you again. We are very busy at the moment with tomatoes and are making lots of jars of passatta. Last year I made lots of tomato paste and we still have plenty but with 3 adult children living here as well I’ve run out of all bottled, frozen tomatoes and passatta.
    Ljoyce, I also will be eating more with honey.
    I do enjoy traveling as well but have only gone to Europe it the last few years when our youngest turned 18 yo. We have been overseas every year since. We are planning to go back to Africa (Uganda) this August but I sort of forgot its my mothers 80th..oops. We can’t go earlier as DH has commitments. He is retiring in August, but we can’t go any later because our eldest daughter is expecting baby no. 3 in September. 🙂 We will be helping them out looking after her older 2 as she will probably have to have another caesarean. We are actually celebrating my mums 80th with my siblings and our partners all going on a cruise to N.Z with her after Christmas.
    I did put on 2 kilos while away and tho I lost 800 grams in the first 6 days back, I put that on at a Curry Night at my sister’s (she’s married to a Sri Lanken)on Sunday to celebrate my nephews birthday. Oh well I will lose it again slowly
    Have a good one everyone!! xx

Some of our posts crossed as OH came home while I was typing and I posted a bit later.
    Thin, we have a similar story. My DD went to the Solomon Islands when she was 14 and did some work with an adult friend of ours and a team with WHO. My OH also went there on a temporary deployment for 12 months a few years later and was keen to visit the village she had gone to. One of the daughters of someone he met had a photo on her wall of “her best friend” and yes it was our daughter!
    Hi Gday, time does fly! My oldest granddaughter has just started school and I can’t believe how fast those 5 years went! Are you having a party?

Gday, if you mean ‘a week’ then add fresh milk and put them in the fridge with a lid on until you get back. On return, you can drink the milk you strain away if it smells OK. Carry on with the kefir as usual.

Stay, what a great story. And nice to have you back here. Are you going to see the gorillas or why did you choose Uganda?

Hi all – just popping in to say hello. FD yesterday which was fine but I felt a little light headed for most of the morning and then again this morning. Have been trying to think what could be causing it – am on light bp meds but think it more likely that it’s low blood sugar as I’ve been hypoglycaemic in the past. I think I didn’t eat enough on Monday as was conscious of FD on Tuesday. Have upped my carbs today and feel much better. Will keep an eye on it

LJ, am fortunate to have a nephew who works for a large plumbing supply business so was able to get all my tapware etc at quite a discount. I was able to pick a dearer range so am very chuffed with that. Kitchen cabinetry has been delivered – still living rough but getting there. Son is taking a well earned weeks break seaside so things will take a bit longer but that’s ok

Good luck to all fasting tomorrow

Hi wwall. Good to hear your kitchen is coming along. Once that’s all in place it will be a lot more comfortable.

Regarding feeling lightheaded, do you have a home blood pressure monitor? Please check your BP. Blood pressure can improve quickly (and unexpectedly) on 5:2 and if you’re taking BP meds, your doctor may need to reduce them. Mine was getting too low before I realized what was happening. Weight seems to play a big part in high blood pressure so when you start losing, problems with it start disappearing.

Stay and Gday, good to see you again! You’ve both been busy!

Too many posts.

A Penguin and a Cougar… interesting couple!

I often open the SH thread in two windows. One to write my post, and the other one to scroll through. (But not when I am working on my ipad)

Cheers for your reset Arel.

Watched that show Thin, agree with Lindsay about the dentist guy. The only thing he was interested in, was someone being interested in him.
    I’ll come and cheer you when you win Old People Gold though! 30 years to work on it!

Wwall, Excellent nephew! Good luck with the kitchen. Hope you don’t get lightheaded again. Low GI carbs sound like the trick. You were drinking enough water? Hope you can get a week at the seaside sometime yourself.

Gday, lovely to hear all is so happy. Enjoy your break. Happy birthday to your daughter!

Wonderful to hear the travel stories. But my favourite is the story about Mr 3 and the little tomato easter eggs.
    Lindsay I snuck in a morning post right up the top of the page.

My tomatoes should be fine over winter, I live in a concrete sink and it hasn’t frosted once in the 14 years I have lived here. If it does freeze… well new seedlings will come up in Spring.

I hope Sybs and JJulie got back from their walk okay.

I’m fasting tomorrow. Woohoo!

Gosh. Harsh critics!

I liked the others!

Well, I’m still here. Mrs P, who does not follow the celebrity gossip, immediately thought “strong, powerful, graceful animal” chuckled at that and was comfortable with it. When I pointed out that it refers to strong, intelligent, attractive older women, she was comfortable with that as well, but did remind me that there isn’t that much difference.

Cinque, In both my military and civilian careers I had more female bosses than most guys. I have also been married for over 50 years. I know how a Penguin can survive with a Cougar.

Hello all!!!

I started to post a couple of times today, but got waylaid each time.

Sybscairns and I met at the designated place this morning at 7am.

I forgot the aeroguard!!!! but thankfully she thought to bring some with her for me just in case. The area here is lovely and natural, but after all the rains we have had it is abuzzing with mozzies!!!
    We had a lovely walk, talking and get to know each other. I found out about a wetlands in Singapore that we can visit on our next trip. Sybs sent me the link by text message and I have checked out how to get there by train/bus.
    We are meeting up again on Friday morning and will probably do a longer walk. This area is just so lovely to walk through that it does not seem at all a chore to do the walking and 45 minutes went so quick and there was still so much more we could have seen.

Taiko practice tonight had us moving our bodies as well as the drumming arm movements. My legs are just not used to all the ups and down movements and I am feeling stiff already. But hoping that it was all worth it as a form of exercise for weightloss.

2 minutes to 8.00pm here and I have finished my food for the day. I will make a coffee soon and that will be me for the night.

CalifD, I am waiting for the “woosh” effect to happen as I believe it must be soon.

sorry if you were worried Cinque.

catch everyone tomorrow

I forgot to tell everyone a secret………..

I AM A COUGAR!!!!

Goodness, so many posts!

Penguin, thanks for letting me know about the 16:8 and milk. I will keep it up as is until Friday morning, and see how weigh in goes with no milk. Then next week I will try it with milk, and see if there is any difference. Love your tomato story – I have no luck with the ones that self seed, they don’t produce much fruit. On saying that, I chucked in a whole heap of pumpkin seeds straight into the ground, thinking only a couple would take – and I have 13 plants growing strong!

CalifDreamer, thanks for saying you do enjoy your pizza. I want to be able to maintain, not only my weight, but also this lifestyle, which does mean enjoying some things like pizza from time to time.
    Thin, I cannot let OH take the blame solely for the pizza – I did cave and agree to it. And it was really nice. I love my pasta, rice and bread – it probably has a lot to answer for with my weight issues. I try and not have bread everyday now – and treat it as an occasional thing. I also don’t eat as much pasta as I used to, and rice no more than once a fortnight (usually much less). I have recently discovered cauli mash, which does have a small amount of potato, but is mainly cauliflower.

Yes, Cinque, we will just sit at home and hear about everyone else’s jet setting! I haven’t been many places at all – born in UK, and came to Australia as a youngster. Other than Japan for a choir tour, I haven’t travelled really at all. That must sound so boring to you travellers!

Morning, all.

I kept forgetting to mention the link Cinque posted, regarding the whoosh effect.
    http://100down.org/the-whoosh-effect/

It was really interesting reading. He also mentioned calorie cycling
    http://100down.org/calorie-cycling-the-metabolism-boosting-plateau-breaking-super-plan/
    and I have been thinking about that. I just wondered what others thought about this? I am really interested in the different thoughts/opinions and the science behind these.

Fast day today, then weigh in tomorrow. Bit nervous about this weigh in – I’ve done 16:8 since Sunday night, and have not been calculating calories in nfd, so we will see tomorrow.

I hope everyone has a good day today, whether fasting or not.

Good morning everyone. Fast Day for me!

Penguin, so glad you are with someone who is stong, powerful and graceful. And so glad she is with a penguin 😉
    (Witty, artistic, intelligent. http://animalinyou.com/animals/penguin )

JJulie, the more strong, powerful and graceful members here the better!

So glad your walk with Sybs was lovely. Although I notice she hasn’t been back. I will start worrying soon!

Taiko practice sounds just wonderful. Hope the aches ebb away before too long.

Nap, fingers crossed that you can be like me and keep bready things as an occasional part of your diet, but Thin’s experience shows that even if you end up realising that you have to give it up, life can still be good.

I’ve got some vegetable soup out of the freezer and I’m going to jazz it up a bit with some extra spices and herbs for my lunch. Oops I forgot to soak my yuba and shiitake, for my evening miso soup, better do it now.

Cheers all, Best wishes.

Good morning,

The saying goes like this “It doesn’t happen overnight but it will happen!!!!!”

Well they were wrong!!! ………It does happen overnight!!!!!

and I am in shock!!!!!!!

After getting on the scales for so long and getting readings like 85.3 to 82.2 etc.
    This morning they told me 78.1!!!!!

I have been honored with the “whoosh effect”!!!!

And what a fitting time for you to post the link Naptime.

Cinque, Sybs messaged me saying she could not walk this morning (Thursday) as she was going to spend the night at an area near Cairns, but a distance from her house. She would return lunchtime today. That is why we had plans to walk again tomorrow. But it is full on rain here today with thunderstorms at this time of the morning. if it continues we wont be venturing out tomorrow morning, especially with the thunder/lightening around.

I am going to check out a recipe book I bought years ago that had some nice low calories recipes in it. The Tony Ferguson cook books “World of Flavours” and “Affordable Flavours” have some lovely recipes. I especially like the individual meatloaves, made in a muffin tin each is only 74 cal. I am looking for new ideas for the weekends.
    I have also got out the 5:2 fasting cook book, but the first recipe I opened up to although sounds nice has ingredients either I have not seen or know what they are. Has anyone found lamb stock? or know what flageolet beans are?

Coffee time, so catch everyone later

Fabulous news JJulie! Very happy for you. You deserve it.

Congratulations Julie on your recent ‘whoosh effect’ – well done, you deserve a long wiggle dance 💐

Thin it was a typo….were away for 1 week so thanks for the kefir advice.

Miss D is having a party with 11 kids but thankfully not at home. Ive hired a venue that is specifically for kids, filled with climbing structures, slides, jumping castles etc. Plus they supply the party food and decorations so my only chore is the bday cake…..easy peasy.

I decided for Miss D’s birthdays from now on she will receive ‘experiences’ rather than a present that would be discarded when she lost interest or wasn’t the latest ‘have to have’ item anymore. So along with OH we are going to spend a week in a delux cabin at Adelaide Shores Caravan Park. The park has a pool, splash zone, go carts, jumping pillows etc plus close by is putt putt golf, skate park and the mega adventure skymate structure. Plus the park is on the beach front….yay. MissD knows she is going away but doesn’t know where.

Good morning SHs,
    It’s unseasonably humid here at the moment with intermittent rain that the garden is loving. I have a lot of plants to go into my collection of terracotta pots and have decided I’ll spend the remainder of the morning potting them up. Over the last 2 weeks I’ve been to all the places where I know I can get cheap plants and now have about 2 dozen plastic pots to deal with. I want to be able to put groups of plants in terracotta pots around the paved areas. I’m hoping we don’t get any more really hot days as the plants tend to cook in their pots when it’s 40+

GDSA, A beachside holiday for a kid who lives so far from the ocean sounds like a real treat. Hope you all have a good time.

JJulie, Well done on the weight loss.
    Flageolet beans are used commonly in french recipes. They use them fresh and also dried. When fresh they are pale green and dried they are fairly small and white. I normally use canellini or navy beans in these recipes.
    I don’t think you can buy lamb stock. I make it occasionally as it was the most common stock my mother made (she grew up on a farm with mutton as their daily fare). Put 2 lamb shanks and one peeled onion in a saucepan with some peppercorns and a bay leaf. Cover with lots of water and simmer until the meat falls off the shanks. Strain the stock (you can use the meat in a soup or stew or pie), then leave it to cool completely. You will get a disc of white fat that sets hard on top. Lift this off and you have a jellied fat free stock. If you don’t want to go to that trouble just use a weak beef stock.

Nap, I’ve always thought that 5:2 does give us calorie cycling.

Penguin, if you’ve lasted 50 years then I think you’ve both mastered an inter-species relationship.

Cinque, I’m amazed that you can get your tomatoes to survive the whole winter in Melbourne. I used to drag my potted cherry tomatoes up against the brick wall of the house under the eves and facing north so they got the autumn sun. They still only made it to May before keeling over. Although I can get eggplant and capsicum plants to survive the winter this way. I don’t get any veg through the cold months, but they start producing the following spring, months ahead of new plants.

WWall, glad you were able to get nice tapware. When you say the kitchen’s arrived, does that mean installed or are you waiting for your son to do that? I think looking it at and not being able to use it yet is torture. My cabinetmaker has told me to expect my kitchen to go in at the end of next week.

Stay & Lindasy, I’m a little jealous of your travels, but living vicariously is ok. I will eventually get to do my own travelling.

Arel, I agree with the other comments, sometimes there isn’t time to respond to everyone. Just a quick post to stay in touch when you can manage it is ok. I find my posts help me stay on track, so don’t give them up completely just because you don’t have time for lengthy posts. Even reading and not posting can help you stay in the right mindset to do the 2 FDs.

My assessment went well yesterday. Although the paperwork still needs to go through the proper government channels, there should be no issues with me continuing treatment for another 6 months.

I have more medical appointments today and a massage, so it will be difficult to settle into tasks. I’m in the mood for being outside, so potting plants this morning sounds inviting.

Have a good day all. Hope those fasting have an easy one.

Good Morning All

back from my friend’s place and catching up.

Julie – I reckon the “woosh” was triggered by our lovely walk :-))

I am going to check out the Tony Ferguson books.

When I have trouble getting up to the 16 hours in the 16:8 my trick is to start preparing my first meal about 30 – 45 minutes before the target time. By the time the meal is ready, I have arrived at the target time – anyway, it works for me, and I just thought I mention it.

Stay, what a great idea and birthday present. I spent so much of my childhood summer holidays in caravan parks or renting cabins/unit on the beachfront. I have great memories of Semaphore Caravan Park, was part of Fort Glanville now called Discovery Parks. We used to play in the WW2 bunkers that were there. It has all changed from what I can see and Fort Glanville is now separated, I believe. Probably a good move for the conservation of the Fort and it’s history. We also spent time at Edithburgh, Ardrossan and Port Hughes.

Lots of good memories!!

LJoyce, thank your for the lamb stock recipe. As I was reading your post I remembered this was exactly how my mother made her homemade vegetable soup, using lamb as the base. It was always the best!! And yes the layer of white fat on the top in the morning. I wonder how that will go up here? I rarely leave anything out of the fridge for fear of it fermenting overnight. I could put the pot into the fridge for it to cool and the fat to set……problem solved!!

Sybs, Yes the walk must have done the trick!!

The Tony Ferguson books available at Terry White chemists are just small books. He put out a couple of big ones as well, but most of the recipes I liked were in the smaller, cheaper books. Hope they are still available as I bought these many years ago.

Well it is now lunch time for me and I have made a lovely spring vegetable soup.

catch up later!!

Hi everyone
    Just checking in. FD for me today – going ok!
    Enjoy whatever you are getting up to and have a great day. Bye for now!

LJoyce, forgot to thank you for the info on the beans. I thought there was another type I could used instead, just did not know which ones until you told me.
    The recipe is Lamb and flageolet bean stew with 288 cal per serve.

I also found a recipe using a spice called Ras el Hanout. Another lamb dish, Braised lamb with Ras el Hanout. I just happened to find the spice at the local farm market this morning. 339 cal per serve.

I am wanting to make full flavour low cal dishes for the weekends as something to look forward to while keeping to my vegetarian mimicking fast diet during the week.
    I am going to try the Ras el Hanout dish this weekend.

JJulie, if you like middle eastern flavours you’ll love Ras el Hanout. It’s one of my favourite spice blends. Fabulous with legumes, veggies, lamb or chicken. I forgot to say that after the stock has cooled to room temperature, put the lid on and put it in the fridge overnight. The fat layer will set harder and is easier to remove that way. All the soups I ate growing up had this as the base. Mum would just remove the fat, the whole spices and the bones and leave all the meat in the soup. Even her “chicken” noodle was full of chunks of lamb shank meat. She also made a potted brawn, buy adding veal shanks, mace and salt to the pot (along with the lamb shanks and bay leaf)and used much less water. Once cooled a little, the bones and whole spices were removed, then it was all pressed into a terrine dish with just enough of the stock to make it all set. I hate the brawn made from pork, but this one is lovely.

Hi Everyone
    Julie, glad someone could help you with those beans. They sounded to me like something my OH wouldn’t want me to eat, haha. Congratulations on your Whoosh! It sounds like your extreme 2;5 is working very well!
    Gday, Im sure DD will love that present! I would!
    Arel and Cinque, Im joining you in a FD today -went right over TDEE yesterday 🙁
    Have a good one everyone! xx

CalifD, thank you for sharing your weight fluctuations the other day. There are so many factors involved, undigested food, dodgy scale readings, water retention, but I still rely heavily on my daily weigh-ins for guidance. I am on my way to joining you & Minka in the 58 zone. Go the Californians! My InBody scan thought I was 2kgs overweight. I haven’t been making a conscious effort to lose it but it has been easy with OH gone for 4 weeks as the focus in the house hasn’t been on food. I’ve enjoyed eating mostly plants. It’s my Frothy Thursday and I’m happy to be 59.2kgs this morning which I haven’t seen since last August after a 24 hr fast before flying out to Thailand. My lowest was 58.5kgs when we were walking 15kms a day in hilly Spain & Portugal. I have been very lazy about resistance training, I just hate lifting weights, it seems so pointless. OH got home last night, straight into the kitchen this morning for a big fry-up. His insulin. 😆

My LD book has only just been despatched so it will probably be another week before I get it. LJ, Cinque, I don’t have the benefit of having read the book – if we do the FMD, do we have to buy these meal products in packets and take supplements or would we try LJ’s modification? Penguin, I know you and Mrs Penguin weren’t doing it for the weight loss but did either of you re-gain some of the weight lost in the ensuing couple of days?

GDSA, one week will be fine for the kefir as I outlined including being able to drink the milk it’s in if it smells OK (or you can discard it if you’re inclined). Either way, you should drain it and start with new milk when you return. I wasn’t sure if you’d meant x weeks which would be a different regime.

I think experiences are a brilliant present for your daughter. That’s what our DD gets too – skydiving, black water rafting, swimming with dolphins, flying lessons are some of the presents she’s had (not when she was 10, of course!). We also followed JJulie’s lead from last Christmas with her 18 y/o and paid for an airfare to India for a uni trip she’s going on this year. Have fun at the beach!

I can’t believe the weather this summer. We have only had two hot days. February is often the worst but it’s stayed +-30 all month. It has been more humid than usual but I’ve barely had the air-con on all summer. JJulie, OH watched a heck of a storm in Cloncurry this week. Lost all his hand-washed laundry! Maybe you have it?

Arel, hope your FD is going well. And everyone else, fasting or not. Cinque – what’s the latest with Yam Daisy?

Hi thin:

In response to your question about whether you have to purchase the FMD – the answer is no. All you have to do is water fast for 96 hours. (I think penguin did it for 120). The FMD is for 120 hours, but if you water fast, it is a day shorter.

No one on this site I am aware of has put together an effective homemade version of the FMD. I say effective because the diet is designed to mimic a water fast and if it is formulated improperly, it does not work and simply becomes a multi-day low calorie diet. That is because you eat between 1100 and 750 (by memory) calories for each of the five days. Dr. Longo said that when he put out a ‘recipe’ for the diet in Italy, it was a “disaster” and he now believes no one should try to duplicate it themselves. I don’t think that the recipe is in the U.S. version of the book. The real FMD is almost a drug, and if you are ill and want to use it (by purchasing it through L-Nutra) to help with your illness (whether cancer, MS, diabetes, crones disease or whatever) you have to get your doctor to first approve its use. Clinical trials of the FMD are currently being monitored by the FDA in the U.S. and other governmental agencies in Europe, supporting the idea that it is not a simple diet, like LF or LCHF diets are.

So if you want to follow the five day FMD, you can buy it (it is around $275 U.S. dollars for the five day package and comes with on line counseling), or you can water fast for four days for free. Otherwise, you will just be doing a five day low calorie diet.

But there is nothing wrong with doing a low calorie five day diet – you would lose more weight than if just doing 5:2!

I have a question, and hope someone can clear this up for me.

As far as I am aware, there is the “old” 5:2 with 500 cal on FD, and then there is the “new” 5:2 with 800 cal PLUS 14 hour fast either before or after the 2 FD. Is (or should) the end result be the same?

Hi Syb:

No. You will lose weight more slowly under the ‘new’ program. The 14 hour ‘fast’ is irrelevant.

thank you

well, then I better change down to 500 cal on FD

Hi Sybs, you are the only person I’ve heard talking about the 14 hour fast before or after the 800 calorie fast day.

I’ve gone back to look at what I could find (thanks google) which is mostly articles written about a year ago when Dr Mosley said that 800 calories worked nearly as well as 500 calories.
    In the same articles he talks about eating supper earlier (or breakfast later) so that there is a 12 or 13 hour fast without any eating.
    One article explains that in version 1 of 5:2 the recommendation was that best results come if there is a 12 hour break between breakfast and dinner (I’d never noticed that bit of advice!) so that is why they give the happy news that the 12 – 13 hour fast works just as well if it includes sleeping time.

So the two changes are:
    1. if 500 calories is too rigorous for you: make it up to 800.
    2. The 12 -13 hours without eating works just as well overnight, as through the day, and that will be easier for most people.

If you have a link to the info you were given about the 14 hours, I’d be interested to see it. But otherwise, it sounds as if 14 hours is more enthusiastic than needed.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/03/12/good-news-dieters-52-relaxes-rules-allows-800-calories-day/

http://www.bodyandsoul.com.au/nutrition/nutrition-tips/the-rules-of-the-52-fasting-diet-have-changed-says-founder-dr-michael-mosley/news-story/f609c657bb62bfb08e4d470ff88df536

https://www.beckhealth.com.au/new-52-diet-200-calories-fast-sleep/

Hope this helps.

Hi all, just back from the GP and remedial massage. The massage really hurt today, but I think those cramping thigh muscles might actually let me sleep tonight. I had my potassium levels retested yesterday and got the results today – back to normal – the daily banana did the trick.

Thin & Cinque – I will not be spending nearly $300 on the FMD bars, packet soups and supplements. Nor will I be water fasting – I’ll leave that spartan approach to Penguin. I am happy to follow the program I calculated for myself which is based (for days 2-5) on a caloric intake of 3 to 5 kcal/lb of body weight (9% protein, 44% fat and 47% carbs), less than 20g sugar and be plant based (apart from fish oil which I will take daily). I will make adjustments closer to the time as it will depend on what I weigh just before I start. It may not be the real deal but I don’t care, this is what I will be doing. I haven’t worked out a day 1 program yet, will do that later.
    Thin, I’m just having a giggle imagining that laundry flying off into the sunset!

Sybscairns, I think for people with a high TDEE, 800 cals would probably work nearly as well as 500. For those of us with a TDEE well under 2000, I’d be worried that 800cal isn’t an adequate reduction. However, I remember Dr Mosley saying that the best program is the one you can stick to. So whatever you do has to be sustainable long term.

Although I didn’t plan it, I have almost done 3 FDs in a row. I did a genuine FD on Tuesday, but because I was out of the house from lunchtime to late afternoon both days I didn’t get to have lunch (just took a banana with me). As I don’t eat breakfast that means 3 days in a row where I’ve only eaten a banana and dinner. Tonight it’s Cinque’s mung bean stew – to which I’ve added some miso broth and cooked brown lentils and turned it into a huge bowl of soup. I think yesterday would have come in at about 600cals (borlotti bean & veg shepherds pie for dinner) and today probably 500. Although my clothes feel pretty loose, I doubt the scales would agree, because I can feel the extra inflammation around some of my joints and my fingers are puffy with extra fluid – humidity has a bad habit of doing this. I’m afraid I could never live in a tropical area.

End of fast day approaching. Soon to enact Sybs’ tip of starting preparing the evening meal way before eating time! (I was doing the same for my lunchtime soup when I saw your post Sybs. Yes chopping things then sitting down to read the 5:2 forum, then getting herbs from the garden….)

Ha Simco, before I saw your post I was going to assure Thin that I wasn’t going to spend $300 on the proper FMD so I wouldn’t call it anything similar, to avoid you popping in and cautioning me! (And for respect of the reasons you would pop in and give caution).

I would make it as liquid as possible and as low protein and low carbs as possible. And happily fry onions with olive oil. ie water and veggie soup and a few cups of tea.

I won’t read the book until it is in the local library!
    And still not at all sure I will do it at all, so feel free to start without me Thin.

JJulie, this should have been the first thing I said…. WOOT! https://media.giphy.com/media/nbJUuYFI6s0w0/giphy.gif
    Hooray for having that lovely number on your scales. About time, and such good timing to give you encouragement and confidence.

LJoyce I have copied and pasted the lamb stock recipe and it is in my file. Thankyou very much! So glad your appt went well too. Hope the plants are all in. And yes extraordinary the difference concrete, roads and climate change makes!

Thin, I had a good meeting yesterday, thanks for asking, and have a very competent person committing to work with me this year. Starting at 3 hours a week, but will take on running projects once we get them up (planning to be able to pay her by then!). So happy!

How about your Objection submission. Do you just hand it in, or go to a meeting? Hope it is all done and Good Luck!

Evening all

Viewing 50 posts - 15,001 through 15,050 (of 28,011 total)

You must be logged in to reply.