Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,907 replies, has 831 voices, and was last updated by  thinatlast 3 days, 17 hours ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 14,901 through 14,950 (of 28,011 total)

• Penguin, thanks for your info. I am liking the way the 16:8 has been easy to step into. I dont usually eat breakfast so dont usually have any food to lunch time so that part was not the problem as far as I could see. My problem was the snacking later at night, but by sticking to the 8pm rule I have been able to cut that out.

CalifD, At this time I was trying something like a 5 day fast. Therefore instead of doing a 5 day water fast which I knew I could not do, I decided to try 5 days of no more than 400 calories but keeping to the 16:8 rule. With starting my fast on Monday I thought to finish on Friday and have the weekend to enjoy myself a little. This was because I thought my body needed a jolt and I was finding it hard to get back to 5:2 after the last trip.
    Yesterday just did not work out as planned and I actually only ate about 200-300 calories as I did not get my dinner due to coming home later than 8pm.
    I agree eating no more than 400 calories for a long time would be hard to sustain, but as I have 5 weeks before my next overseas trip, I was wanting to be extremely strict on myself and keep to this for at least that time.
    It is also a little experiment as well.
    So far with this being day 4 I am feeling great!! And I have lost some kgs!!
    It is all about getting my mind into the right frame so I can make better choices when it comes to food and drink.
    Thanks for your info too. I can see how easy it is now to fit the 16:8 into a 5:2 diet.
    Another question.
    Does anyone make low cal jelly to have at all? and If you do, is it classified as a food or a fluid?

Good morning everyone.

Welcome Tishval, have fun getting ready for your first fast day! I bet you find the whole 5:2 thing is a money saver. Two days where you don’t eat more than a quarter of what you normally eat! And if you are like me, you will have less snacks through the week, which is also a great money saver.

Wwall, I hope the blue tongue is happy next door!
    I’m feeling pretty good this morning, and lovely to hear you got a good fast day in.

JJulie, so glad you are having such a great time on your new regime! It is wonderful to find something that really suits you. You have so many tools within 16:8 and 5:2 to chuff along and adjust things as you go until you find what works for you in the longterm. All power to you.

Sybs, congrats on those 15 hours! Are you finding your intermittent fasting is fitting well into your life? It is so lovely that your walks are such a treat.

Thin, I bought some of those tofu beanskin sticks, and added some to the minestrone I made yesterday, which was fine. I have soaked another one overnight to add to my miso soup this evening instead of chicken (which I have run out of). I hope to make a nice dashi to cook it in.

My computer friend has helped with the computer, cleaning up stuff, but will organise a super something to go in the hard drive (yep, I’m clueless) and maybe a fan has gone in the hard drive that means it can’t cope on hot days. So I am right to potter along, especially if we don’t have anymore heat waves.

I’m having an easy fast day today (extra bowl of soup for lunch) and planning a fasty fast day for Sunday (just my evening bowl of miso). With cuppas.

Best wishes all, we will never be younger. 🙂 Enjoy the day.

PS: Interesting program about coping with cravings: http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/allinthemind/craving/9333844

JJulie, sounds like you have a spring in your step at the moment.
    I haven’t made diet jelly for a long time, but I used to use them. Jelly is a fluid. (When you are in hospital and on fluids only they will give you clear broth and jelly to eat.) I hadn’t realised you were doing a 5 day fast. You are the first of our group to try it.

Penguin, If I remember correctly you and your wife start your 5 day fast in the morning. I hope it goes well for you both. Let us know what happens.

Cinque, glad your computer is on it’s way back to full health.

The nurse should be here within the hour to do the infusion for my rheumatoid treatment drug (abatacept). I’m just having a pot of tea and a banana and watching the morning news. It will be a quiet day, no reno planned for this afternoon. I do need to go to the hardware store to get a couple of things, so I might do that this afternoon and then continue with packing up the many photos, candles, etc that cover every surface in the lounge room. (Lounge is the next room to be painted.)

This morning I tried to put on my loose jeans and they are living up to their description, they are now so loose they look like baggy clown pants! I decided to weigh myself (This is getting to be a bit of a concerning pattern – I don’t want to get addicted to the scales again). I’ve lost another 1.6kg in the last week. Considering I had 4 days off of any strenuous work from Fri-Mon I can’t see how that’s possible – not that I’m complaining, just perplexed. I’m now 75.2kg which is near the bottom of the range I had set 3 years ago when I first lost weight – I’d aimed to stay in the 75-78 range. Because I’m not controlling these losses, I have no idea where it will end up. I have no objection to being lighter, it’s just maintaining it when I’m not as active that I’m uncertain about.
    I might have to head to the op shops to look for more jeans soon.

Have a good day all.

Julie – before I started this, I downloaded the kindle version of The 8 hour Diet book – it’s by David Zinczenko, and about 50% of the book is taken up by how the diet works. It only cost AU$5.50 and you don’t need a kindle to read it – you can download the free kindle apps from the amazon website. For recipe ideas I use another 5:2 Diet cookbook which I really like, as it does not just give the calorie value for the complete meal, but also the calorie value of the individual ingredients, which means that the recipes are easily modified.

Cinque – since I live on my own, things are easy for me – no fussy eaters, no OH who may not be supportive. I love both the 5:2 and the 16:8, and my morning walks are just super energizing.

LJoyce, this is not really what I would call a 5 day fast. What Penguin is doing is a true 5 day fast, which is water only. I am just trying to keep to the lower calories intake for 5 days but also incorporating the 16:8 theory. I am probably doing something like what Penguin’s wife is going to do, I think. But it was all the talk of 5 day fasting that started me and there was no time like the minute to do it.
    I have worked out a plan for tonight. If I dont have anything until 1pm today then my eight hours finishes at 9pm instead of 8pm, so I can have something light at the birthday dinner tonight. Then tomorrow I wont eat until 1pm again, then nothing after 8pm to put me back on track again.
    So since I have not eaten since 2.30pm yesterday and I will have nothing until 1.00pm (which is now) I have probably fasted for about 22.5 hours with water and tea only.

Sybscairns, I will have a look at that 8 hour diet book you mentioned. thank you

Well as it is now 1.00pm I can have my soup!!

LJoyce,hope your infusion today goes well. Congrats on the weight loss! Maybe you are still losing even though you haven’t been doing strenuous work the past 4 days, but you have been painting and sanding. That involves a lot of energy. And no doubt you’ve built up some muscle with all the work over the last weeks. It takes more calories to sustain muscle than it does fat, and it doesn’t sound like you’ve increased your calories, so you’re probably burning more on sustaining that muscle. After all the reno work is done on this house and your next home, you could always use resistance bands or light weights to maintain that muscle. You’ve mentioned a thinner waist and better fitting clothes so you can’t go back now!

Cali – I hadn’t thought of muscles using more calories. I am definitely more toned than I was. I am happy to keep this up long term at the fitness centre. I don’t mind using their weight machines, and once I’ve moved I should have more time as I won’t have a large garden to look after.

We started the five day fast yesterday evening so we are now 15 hours in. This means absolutely nothing – eight hours of that were sleeping. We normally eat in the 16:8 window, or more accurately 17:7, so I don’t really start to fast until I miss lunch. For reasons I don’t understand, when doing a limited cal fast, OH has a small breakfast, which she doesn’t normally do. She has just had half of an unsweetened grapefruit.

Congratulations Penguin. I am interested in how the water only fast goes.

We went to our dinner. I had salmon sashimi with Japanese green leaf salad and miso dressing. It was definitely enough food for me but probably over the 400 calories for the day. I am not too worried about that though as I am pleased with what I have done so far. Tomorrow is another day.

good night all,

Good morning everyone,
    It is a lovely morning here.

LJoyce, woot! Those baggy jeans. What a nice milestone. I hope you can find some wonderful new ones!
    It sounds like your infusion went well too? I hope so.
    When I got to down under 60kg, my goal, I decided to just see where 5:2 took me, and I gently coasted down and down, losing more slowly as the slope got gentler and then flattened out at 50kg. I don’t think I would lose more as my natural hunger asserts itself.
    You are in a similar lovely position of knowing you are a healthy weight, and just gently making decisions for your future.

Sybs, Snap! I live alone too. (But I took a bit of playing around with different fast days and different meals before I settled on what suited my life best). (Typical me).

JJulie, what you are doing is pretty much Fast Mimicking! That is the idea (like 5:2) that you can eat some things that don’t interrupt your body thinking it is fasting. Isn’t it nice that jelly is counted as liquid! Your birthday dinner sounds just lovely.

Penguin, I hope you found some wonderful productive things to do with that energy and are able to sleep okay tonight. Yes, we need to be patient and hear how you go on the 4th and 5th days.

I really enjoyed the yuba (bean curd sticks) in my miso soup last night. It was good and chewy! I think I will use it instead of chicken from now on.

Even though I had a bowl of vegetable soup in the early afternoon yesterday, it still felt like a proper fast day, I would still have been under 500 calories and I had my usual hungry afternoon. Pleasure having breakfast this morning!

Time for another cup of tea. Best wishes to everyone!

Good morning SHs,
    Just finishing my first pot of tea for the day. Then I need to head out to the hardware store again as I couldn’t find the sealant I needed in Mount Barker yesterday. I have a few gaps to fill before I can start painting the external window frames.

My infusion went very well yesterday, no side effects at all this time which is a real blessing.

Cinque, I think where my weight settles will depend a lot on my activity level as it was quite stable around 78kg when my activity level was low. I don’t think I’m likely to maintain this level of activity long term. The question will be whether my body can maintain a lower weight without it, unless I also cut back more in what I eat which is unlikely as it already feels quite restricted. I’m hoping that whatever kilos I lose during this period of activity I keep off, but I’m even keener to keep the muscle tone that I’m acquiring as that will be of real benefit to me in the long term.
    I’m familiar with bean curd, but never heard of yuba. Glad you found a new ingredient you like.

JJulie, they sound like sensible choices at a restaurant. Eating out is always a challenge, especially on FDs.

Must go now. Have a good day all.

Hi everyone, hope everyone is well snd fasting well on this exciting journey we’re all on.

Check- in: :65.2kgs still and starting starchy-carb free today after arriving back home. That means not only no grains, or gluten free carbs, but no potatoes, sweet potatoes, corn, peas, beans, lentils, chickpeas etc. Yes I know there’s healthy things in there, but for some reason I cannot lose weight while eating any of thrm. Tested it many times now. I can maintain weight on a limited amount of them but can’t lose, and I really want to grt back to my goal weight now, which is 62kgs. I achieved it through ising 5:2 in Nov 2016, and for various non5:2 reasons am a bit up, but I know it’s just being systemmatic now to get that extra 3kgs off, and I can’t do it eating any starchy carbs.

Deadline for my project in 6 weeks.

Onwards and downwards,
    Merry

Hi Merry, so glad to see your post. All power to you, and your project. As you always say: Onward and Downwards.

For LJoyce (and other breadmakers) http://thebreadoftheworld.com/en/front-page-2/#recipe Fascinating.

So glad the infusion wasn’t a problematic one.

You may lose some of your muscle tone if you have to be more sedentary LJoyce, but I don’t see why you would put on weight again. I guess it is wait and see, but my guess is that this is your new normal.

I’m on to my pot of coffee now, and a nice pottering Friday.

Merry, I hope the absence of starch helps you get those pesky 3kg off. Good luck with the project with the deadline nearing.

Cinque, thank you so much for the link to the bread of the world recipe. I really enjoyed the Swedish video of the group of diverse people baking bread together. I won’t be baking bread again until I move house, but will definitely try this then – I’ve saved the recipe pdf. I have to say I’ve never seen a decilitre (100ml) used as a unit of measurement for cooking before – maybe that’s a Swedish thing. The ingredients such as linseed and kibbled rye are things I’d commonly put into my own bread so I think the flavour will be good.
    Are you planning to make it yourself?

I’ve had a disrupted morning, as I got a phone call from my GPs practice to say that the doctor filling in for him while he’s overseas had looked at my blood test results and I needed to come in and see a doctor today. As I’d spoken to the nurse on Wednesday and been told my ESR was good I was surprised and a bit concerned. It turned out that my potassium levels are low – nothing a few more bananas won’t cure hopefully. As I think back, I’ve eaten far fewer bananas over the past month as there has been so much stone fruit available. It needs to be one per day for a few weeks otherwise I’ll need a supplement. I’m still a bit perplexed that this required an immediate docotor’s visit, didn’t sound that serious to me.

After I finish lunch I should actually be able to get some work done.

LJoyce – decilitre is also used in German, Austrian and Swiss recipes :-))

Hi All,

Cinque, Yes that must be what I am doing, Fast Mimicking, is it a good thing? I hope so. And yes good that jelly is a liquid as I am going to start making some Low Cal ones for something to snack on.

I had forgotten about Yuba. I will go looking for it at my local Japanese Shop.

LJoyce, I use the decilitre measuring cups for my Finnish and Swedish recipes. If you are looking to buy one they are available at Ikea.

Making pumpkin soup today and tomorrow I have a big salad organised for the BBQ we are going to tomorrow night. It is BYO meat and drinks affair, so I am going to take my own salad bowl just for me, with my own salad dressing and a small amount of meat mixed in. I am not sure which meat as yet because I wanted to keep away from anything that would be high calorie. I was thinking thinly sliced beef, diced chicken breast or thinly sliced peppered kangaroo fillet. I am not a big fish eater, but I do have a can of tuna at the ready, or I could just add tofu and keep it vegetarian. OH is taking chevaps.

I am over my scales telling me different readings!!!!

Hi everyone
    I’ve just spent time, in Newcastle, with my brother and sister – went to a lovely club overlooking Lake Macquarie for lunch: beautiful scenery over the water, with many boats at their moorings, or crewsing the lake. I always enjoy their company, and also like being near the lake or ocean – star sign ‘cancer the crab’ must be the influence I think!

Have enjoyed reading all the happenings since my last post 3 days ago. So much going on with you all. Wont try to answer each post but happy to learn what some of you are doing with 16:8/5:2. Also happy for those that are doing extended fasting ie JustJulie, Penguin and his OH – all the best for success.

So glad you are feeling better Cinque – take care of yourself and rest as you need to.

Warm welcome trishval.

Congrats on your weight loss achievements LJoyce. Your home must be looking truly lovely after all your hard work. Enjoy!

Wishing you success Merry with your starchy-carb free eating plan; and also your special project – can’t wait to hear what it is!

Hi to all others – so many of us now, which is a good.

Must go. Off to one of the local rivers for a swim with OH.
    Bye for now!

LJoyce, on maintaining the recent extra weight loss after all your physical work around the house is over, it seems that once weight is lost and kept off for a couple weeks, it doesn’t come back that easily. The losing it to begin with seems to me to be the hard part. Even with TDEE being a little lower, it seems that beyond water weight, it’s just as hard to gain it back as it is to lose it. For me, when I used to diet and lose a bunch of weight and then go off the low calorie diet, I would eat way more than I might eat after a FD now. I used to feel so deprived I’d go crazy and eat everything in sight for days and gain weight back as a response to that.

But now, on the 5:2 I don’t often feel deprived and have less reason to do the out of control eating for any length of time. My hypothesis is that unless we’re going to dangerously low weights, our bodies just kind of reset regularly if we lose weight. FD seem to make up for eating that is above that.

I haven’t been maintaining long enough to test it, but some of you who have been maintaining longer must have some experience with it.

Arel, I laughed when you said my house must be looking truly lovely. It looks like bomb’s hit it! Some of the decorated rooms are piled high with furniture & boxes that I’ve moved out the the rooms that still need to be painted. I feel like this month is about pulling everything apart and next month I get to bring it all back together again. No, it doesn’t look lovely yet, but I can already see the potential that it will in a few week time.
    I hope you enjoyed your river swim.

Sybs, thanks for that info. I have used a German rye bread recipe but it didn’t use DL – probably already converted by whoever posted it.

Cali, I hope you are right. The last time I weighed mid-low 70s was 2 years ago and I was working just as hard – digging out new garden beds from the rock and clay. After I finished the hardest of the work my weight went up again, but as you’ve reminded me, I didn’t have 5:2 then and I was still in the grip of binge eating. That’s all changed thankfully, so hopefully the outcome will be too.

JJulie, your plan for the BBQ is very sound. As long as the portion is small and the meat is lean, I would suggest you choose the meat you like the most and savour every mouthful. When lean, these meats all have modest calories. 5:2 (or 2:5 in your case) shouldn’t be a punishment, you can have things you like, just in controlled quantities.

I finally managed to get some work done on the house this afternoon. I now have two windows fully patched and sanded and ready to paint. I bought the paint for the house exterior wood trim today, so I can paint these tomorrow.

I’m having a very legumy dinner. I raided the freezer and pulled out a serve of coconut lentil dahl and also a tub of chilli con carne (made with both edamame and broad beans). I had half of each with a wholemeal chapati, so 3 different legumes for dinner. Hope that makes the gut bugs happy. I now have leftovers of everything for my next NFD meal. Haven’t yet decided whether to fast tomorrow or Sunday.

Hope you are all making nice plans for your weekend.

CalifDreamer/LJoyce. That weight re-setting has been my experience as well. Over the last few years my body has had several ideas of what it should weigh, each one less than the one before. When it settles I can take quite a few liberties before I gain. Equally it can take determination to move down.

Hi again! After a week or two of 6:1, I”m back to 5:2. In other words, I fasted Tuesday and Friday this week. Today is a fasting day. It’s great to have the improved energy to do this.

I’m also going back to working 5 days next week which will be a relief. Lots has gone by the wayside with working the extra day, not just one of my fasting days! So can’t wait for the extra reprieve to catch up on things!

I trust all is going well with the Southern Hemispherites members!

Good morning SHs

Had a successful FD yesterday – water fast until dinner then a 250 calorie meal and early to bed as the last few hours were a bit of a struggle. However I’m happy that I stuck with it and didn’t give in. Next FD on Tuesday which should be easier as I’ll be at work that day

LJ, I would like half of your determination. My body is sore in places I didn’t know I have from moving and cleaning. Yesterday I gave myself permission to take it a bit easier but boy the day dragged. I think it’s better to just keep moving ahead so will try and follow your example next week

Off to choose tap ware and bathroom fixtures today. New kitchen hopefully arrives sometime next week. I’m getting there but it’s a long journey!

Good luck to all fasting today and tomorrow. Have a great weekend

A beautiful morning here (again!)

Forgot to say yesterday, LJoyce, fingers crossed you CAN keep that wonderful muscle tone.
    I posted that World Bread article on the YamDaisy fb page and a couple of the core people are keen to make it. I’d like to, although I am taken aback at the amount of sugar in it (I never add any these days) but I would like to try it anyway.

Enjoy your bananas!

JJulie, the Fast Mimicking Diet is a real thing, and good! FMD for short. You’ll notice people on the forum talking and putting up links about Dr Valter Longo and the Longevity Diet and the 5 day fast. He is doing interesting work on the benefits of fasting for a long healthy life and has found that a low calorie, low carb, low protein diet on the ‘fast’ days means our body still thinks we are fasting and so still does all the good things. So that is what Mrs Penguin is doing.

Give your naughty scales a kick and ignore them for a few days. That will teach them!

Lovely to hear about your beautiful water world Arelkade. I adore water too (and I am sure one of my planets is in Cancer 😉 ) The best I can do at the moment though is walk to the local creek, or visit my daughter at Docklands. It may be time for a drive to the Bay.

Cali I do agree that 5:2 is the wonderful factor that allows us to lose weight and then not put it back on. Thanks 5:2!
    But I have had to work on the 5 as well as the 2.
    Love your take on it Penguin.

Minka I am so glad your life pace has slowed a tiny bit. I hope the extra day gave you lots of good experience and pay, but that now you can 5:2 happily and chat here a bit more often (I missed you).

Excellent fast day Wwall, congratulations. And good luck at the ‘just getting it done’. It does sound like a good plan. Hope it isn’t too painful and exhausting.

Has Thin been trapped in a game of bridge, or up all night setting off crackers to amuse her neighbours? Missing you Thin!

And Intesha, how are you going?

I’m trying to get a few things done and then to head over to visit the darlings. Taking a bag of freshly picked lettuce leaves from my garden 🙂

Better get organised. Cheers everyone. It is day before fast day for me. Best wishes for your day: whatever it is!

Good morning SHs

WWall, I know what you mean about the sore spots. I had to do some serious ham string massaging last night to stop the cramping that was keeping me awake. I normally have either a massage or physio treatment every 3 weeks – I’ve changed my cycle to fortnightly at the moment as my body needs the extra help.
    I hope you find some bathroom fixtures that you love that don’t break the bank. I had to get a new sink and tap for the kitchen and after looking at several places I found that Tradelink had better prices than elsewhere for reliable brands. I bought this kitchen mixer tap for less than $100. http://tradelink.com.au/retail/products#/c0/Raymor/c1/Kitchen/c2/Mixers/c3/Sink%20Mixers/c4/Projix/item/14153434

Cinque, I did something unheard of on a FD, I ate a banana at 10am. Hopefully it won’t make me hungry all day.
    Glad to hear you are picking your own lettuce – it doesn’t seem very long since you described planting – must be fast growing lettuce.

Minka, Good to hear you are back to 5:2 and also able to ease back to a normal working week. I hope that makes life and health easier to manage.

I did the grocery shopping early this morning – on a FD – something I normally avoid. I hoped that by going early when I don’t have an appetite, I’d get away without being tempted too much. It’s all put away in the fridge and cupboards, and out of sight now. That was important as I’m expecting family to come and help at some point in the next week so I bought things like biscuits and white bread rolls. I did buy some nice broccoli, snow peas, capsicum, zucchini and spring onions to make a stir fry for my dinner. The amount of veg should be enough to make 2 bowls of food, so 2 that’s FDs covered.

Hope you all have a wonderful Saturday.

@cali https://www.facebook.com/Salemalikoumm/videos/1669374379824197/ Parrot taught to speak by crying kiddie. 😀 😀 😀

Thin, you need to find out who owns that parrot that Cinque just posted and borrow it – drive your annoying airbnb neighbours nuts!

Despite stating a FD with food, I have managed to confine myself to cup of tea since, but I have stayed busy.
    I finally tackled a job I’d been putting off because I wasn’t confident. There is a section of wall in the kitchen that has always been tiled, but needed to be returned to smooth rendered/plastered wall and a masonry window sill with a curved edge. It’s a bit beyond my skill level and it’s 30 years since I’ve done any serious rendering. However this after I decided I couldn’t put this off any longer. I now have a rendered wall and window sill with a pretty good curved edge. Tomorrow I’ll attempt the plaster layer. I’m finding that the further I go along with the reno the more confidence I gain to tackle jobs where I doubt my skills. I have done most of these things on my first house. But I owned that in the late 1980s and my dad (who was a builder) was very fit and able then and helped me learn the skills I needed. Today I was trying to remember the conversation I had with him when I was rendering some sections on internal wall in that house. I remember that the render wasn’t sticking to the brick and calling dad who asked if I’d wet the bricks first. To which I’d said no, of course not, how was I meant to know I had to do that? Needless to say, that even without dad here now, I actually remembered to wet the wall and window ledge before applying the render.

I’m just having a pot of tea a a break before tackling a bit more window frame sanding. I’m trying to fin indoor jobs for the middle of the say so I can avoid being in the sun as I burn easily even on mild days.

Cinque, thank you for posting that link. It’s hilarious! Those Amazon parrots are so talented with speaking and mimicking different sounds. There was a pet shop near where I used to live that had a bird like that. It wasn’t for sale, it belonged to the owner. It could whistle several songs, fairly long ones, and sounded just like a person whistling. It could also sing, “How much is that doggie in the window?” I used to go over and try to get it to sing, by singing the first few words. One day I walked in and over to the cage, and the bird sang to ME, “How much is that….” Then, “Come on, give it a try!” I laughed so hard I almost wet my pants!

LJoyce, I’m really impressed with your building/repair skills. Rendering a section of wall isn’t easy. Is the finished wall a smooth surface or will you have to match a texture? I think a router is usually used for curved edges, especially if you have to do a bunch of them. I’ve never used one, but I understand that they can do different edges fairly quickly. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Bosch-2-25-HP-Variable-Speed-Fixed-Corded-Router/50056435

Minka, good to see you again. Glad your work schedule is getting back to normal as well as 5:2.

Where is Thin? Are we going to have to limit her Bridge time? 😁😁😁😁

Hi all. Just catching up after a few lovely days over on our island, and then a couple of full-on work days.
    LJoyce full marks to your doctor for calling you in. Low potassium can hit hard and fast. Last year my niece arrived home from work just as her Dad crashed to the floor. She resuscitated him and heart attack was diagnosed and we were all called to his bedside. The next morning we got a call from his son to say his father was sitting up in bed (in intensive care) eating breakfast. Not a heart attack at all, but his collapse was caused by very very little potassium in his system. He was out of hospital 48 hours later, and was so happy he went and bought himself a new car. What a thorough doctor you have LJoyce.
    Off to dinner tonight with friends. Usually we eat at Asian restaurants but that gives me less control (too much shared food, and our group seems to prefer fried foods and few vegetables) so we are having a pub dinner. Fish, I think, or maybe a salad. I’m not fasting til Monday, but am trying for better control on weekends.
    Good wishes, SH friends.

Two and a half days into our fasts. OH, who is doing her usual 5:2 low cal fast, has lost three pounds. I am fluids only and have lost five pounds. No problems for either of us as long as we keep hydrated.

Cali, I have a special trowel with a curved edge that my dad gave me many years ago, along with a normal flat plastering trowel. It made the task simpler. I can’t see how your would get a good finish without them. Luckily I need to end up with a smooth plastered finish on the wall and window sill not textured. Once the plaster layer in on and dried it can be sanded, so I can deal with any remaining imperfections then, before I paint.

Linsday, thanks for the info on low potassium. I thought they were being overly dramatic, I hadn’t realised it could be that serious. I’m eating my daily banana and I have blood tests done again next Wednesday, so hopefully my levels will be up a little. If not, then I’ll need to start taking Slow K tablets. I’ve had low potassium several times before and extra bananas have always remedied it in the past so hopefully it will this time too.
    Hope you enjoy the pub dinner. I find they are usually a safe option as there are always grilled meats with salad on offer. You just have to be strong and not eat the chips that usually accompany it.

Penguin, well done to you and your OH on the progress so far. I guess tomorrow will be the interesting point, when you get beyond the 3 days that you are used to. I trust you are both still feeling well. I hope you both acquire smaller waists, and a batch of new healthy cells.

I made stir fry vegetables and chicken for my FD dinner, with enough leftovers for the next FD too. I have made a pot of my decaf lamington tea blend and and now enjoying that too.

Not sure if we’re doing family brunch in the morning or not. As it will be a NFD I can actually eat brunch if I happen to feel like it. Usually I fast Sundays so I just order a pot of tea.

**Catalyst Tuesday night is about gut bugs. I don’t know if it’s a new episode or a repeat. I think it starts at 8:30 on ABC1, but you’d best check your local tv guides.

Good morning,
    Congratulations on that rendering LJoyce. Good luck with the plastering today. So glad you have the wisdom of your father with you as you work.

Did the banana work ok with your fast day?

Thanks for the thumbs up about Catalyst. Looks very interesting: http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/4796770.htm

Lindsay, I am also glad to understand about potassium. Best reason to buy a new car!
    Interesting comment on shared food. Very true. I hope it was a lovely pub meal

Penguin, thanks for the update. Nice work, both of you!

Thin, pretend your name is Johnny https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wa5TTKzRRS4
    But really, sending good wishes if things are hard.

It is my Sunday fast day, I have yuba and shiitake soaking for my miso soup tonight, but about to pick myself up with a pot of coffee.

Best wishes all of you.

Hi all, I am back with my tail between my legs…
    I used to be around, and lost my extra 25kg with 5:2 (lost the first 25kg with cal counting). I was sort of maintaining, but didn’t really every feel in control of my eating (if that makes sense).

Since Xmas, the wheels have fallen off the wagon and rolled down the hill. I kept slowly gaining, despite still fasting. I was calorie counting 1200/day as well, except for the weekends, where my OH and I tended to eat badly.

I increased my daily cals to 1400/day and limited the ‘junk’ day to one day only. I lost 3.5kg in one week, but since then, have gained a bit of that back.

I don’t know what I am doing wrong. I am on 1400 cals/day, plus do 5:2. We do have that one day on the weekend, where we have a junk day – but I would have thought the two days of 5:2 would have meant that was ok. I know I shouldn’t have a junk day, but after calorie counting/ being so restrictive for 3 years, I enjoy our one day of letting go.

I am getting desperate. I feel like everything I try isn’t working anymore, and I am really close to giving up. The thought of calorie counting for the rest of my life (and then perhaps still gaining) is really depressing.

Good morning Cinque! Thank you for your messages and the video clip. I’ve come home! Sorry to have been sporadic for a while. Everything is fine thank you. I’m still under 60kgs. I’m fasting with you today – Spanish Fideos 142 cals. Later today, I hope to have some time to read the last few posts – I know there is renovating, marathon water fasting, a newbie and a cheeky parrot to catch up with …. and welcome back Naptime, our posts crossed. You’ve made the first correct step to get back on track by posting here. What is your current weight please? It sounds like it might be time to investigate what you’re eating, not just how much.

Good morning,

Well the BBQ last night went well as far as my food was concerned. I made a large tupperware bowl of salad using baby spinach and rocket with cucumber diced, grated carrot and beetroot, bean sprouts, cherry tomato, finely sliced spanish onion and an artichoke cut in half on the top. I decided on the kangaroo as it is the leanest meat I know apart from fish (which I am not keen on). I made the kangaroo my special way with cracked pepper for some tang then finely sliced it and tossed it on the top of the salad. I used a mixture of freshly squeezed lemon and orange and poured over the top as my salad dressing. This mixed with the pepper on the kangaroo makes a tangy dressing. I ended up not eating it all!!
    Just as it was getting dark the mozzies came out in full force. I decided to go home to have a shower to relieve the itching and put something on my skin, then return to the party, but 2 minutes later OH came home too as he was suffering from the mozzie bites. He said that everyone else had left the party too except the immediate family. I had only just gotten into the shower when we went into darkness. We have been having some problems with our power supply at our house and we thought that it had happened again, but OH looked out and said that the whole street was in darkness. Our youngest daughter rang from where she was staying at her boyfriends parent’s property in Fishery Falls which is about 40 kilometres south of Cairns to ask if we had power. It seems it was out at their place too. So the party ended quite abruptly.

Penguin and Mrs Penguin, congratulations!!! you sound like you are both doing very well with your fasting.

With my weigh in on Saturday morning I was a little disappointed to see that I only lost about 2 kg all up. (about 4.5 pounds) I am not sure if it is my scales telling me the wrong reading before I started or if it is telling me the wrong reading now. I am thinking of purchasing another scale.
    Which brings me to a question. I dont really have a place in my ensuite to put the scales so they are not in the way, so I usually tuck them to one side and then bring them out to weigh myself. This means that they are being moved each time and probably placed in a slightly different spot each time. I am wondering if that could be causing the erratic readings? I am thinking I would get a more accurate reading if they were not moved at all.

Lindsay thanks for the information about low potassium as well. My daughter was told she has low potassium but they did not seem concerned with it. I know my mother had low potassium too when she was very sick and the doctor told me to make her banana smoothies. I will make sure my daughter asks her doctor a bit more about her readings.

Cnque, that parrot was so hilarious but also could be so annoying, thank goodness we only have it on video and not living at our house with us. When I played the video OH was sitting on the back balcony reading the paper and having coffee. He thought there was a baby crying from one of the houses behind us. When I told him it was the parrot he laughed.

Hello Naptime and welcome. Please dont give up!! I know how you feel as I am going through a similar thing at the moment with trying new things but not seeming to be getting the results I feel I should have. It helps to talk here with all the lovely people that are on this forum. Ask questions you will get answers or suggestions that might help. I am only relatively new to this but others on the forum have succeeded and are on maintenance. They are the best help. Hope to hear more from you.

Welcome back Thin!!! Missed you…….

Yay Thin, so glad you are alright. And under 60kg!

Nap, so lovely to see you here, but sorry it is to do with a stressful situation. Hopefully you will be able to nip it in the bud with a new strategy.

So first, Congratulations for losing that second lot of 25kgs! That is brilliant!

So frustrating to be doing everything carefully and find the weight creeping up again. Do you think it relates to that theory that our metabolisms become super efficient at getting every calorie from the food we eat?

I bet we will all have ideas and you will just have to try what seems most likely, and if that doesn’t work, try something else.

How junky is your one day junk food day?
    I am a great believer in us eating feast food, and how important it is to feel that we are not depriving ourselves all the time.

If you are having a Macca’s type junkfood day, maybe that could become once a month instead of once a week, and your weekly feasts could be to eat as much as you want, but of healthier food?

Keen to see what others write.

I have to say that I am like you, and still not feeling really in control of my diet. I know sugar sets me off, and I still mess myself up with that (Too much watermelon recently 🙁 ) but I also have those emotional issues of needing to comfort myself with food, and to make sure I don’t feel deprived of food. I’m so grateful that each fast day gives me a break to reset myself, I think I am changing those old patterns, but it is a slow process.
    Sending good wishes

Naptime,

It sounds like your journey was a bit like mine. I also lost around 50kg in two 25kg stages. I also did the first 25kg with calorie counting. Unlike you, I did the second 25kg very quickly with a VLCD meal replacement plan. I found maintenance very difficult as my calorie needs seemed unusually low. It was a constant battle to keep my weight stable. If I ate like other people I gained weight. After 18 months I’d regained 9kg and I started 5:2 to get it off. I’ve stayed with 5:2 for maintenance, but I’ve learned some unpalatable facts along the way.

My actual calorie needs are well under the TDEE that the calculator tells me. I suspect that my metabolism has always run a bit slower than average, but losing and regaining weight over the decades probably hasn’t helped either. It’s possible that you have a similar disadvantage. My actual TDEE is about 200 calories under the TDEE that the calculator on this site gives me. Unless I am particularly active my real TDEE is 5800jk or 1380cal.
    My body doesn’t tolerate more than one small portion of “junk” per week (eg one slice of cake). If I eat more than that, even with 2 FDs, I gain weight. I had to accept that the two FDs doesn’t give me a license to eat what I want on the NFDs – not if I want a stable weight. I had thought I’d have more leeway than that, but the hard truth is that I don’t. I gradually moved to healthier food choices that include a very high fibre level as this helps me feel full on the limited calories I have to work with and my body feels better for it. Each week I do 2 FDs at under 500cals, most NFDs I eat approx 1400-1500 calories and I may have one treat one one day, although I don’t specifically go looking for it – it’s mainly for socialising. That maintains a fairly high BMI of 28 for me (weight in mid 70s)- I would need to be even more restrictive to maintain a lower weight in the “healthy” BMI range. I no longer count calories, but I did do this meticulously daily for a very long time. I’ve now reached a point where I have confidence of the foods and portions I need to be eating to not gain weight.

My eating pattern sounds similar to yours in terms of calories (without the junk food day) and for me this is weight maintenance not weight loss, so I’m actually not surprised that you aren’t losing weight. With a low TDEE, the 2 FDs only save me about 1760 calories for the week – one binge day can chew this up very quickly. Unfortunately I think you are going to go through the painful exercise that I also did of facing up to a very low TDEE and what that means for future food choices and portion sizes. It doesn’t feel fair, but I came to accept that I couldn’t change it so I just had to work with it. It meant changing expectations and that did take a bit of time.

Over the first few months on 5:2 when I was aiming to lose weight, my weight loss was quite slow and I struggled to keep my eating to a reasonable level on the NFDs. I have a history of binge eating and trying to reform this behaviour took me quite a long time. I found that eating mindfully helped, so that I got maximum enjoyment from the things I did eat, as too much of my eating was done through snacking on high calorie foods that I scoffed down and barely tasted. Slowing things down and enjoying just a few mouthfuls of something actually helped.

I suspect that your FDs are fine, but it’s your NFDs that may need to change if you want your weight to decline. I really hope you find a path forward with this.

Good morning SHs, I hope you are all enjoying a lovely relaxing Sunday.

Thin, welcome home. Hope your absence meant you were having fun.

JJulie, Souns like you made good food choices for the BBQ – it’s the bugs that always put me off outdoor meals as well. I’ve always liked that American tradition of a screened porch – you get the outdoor light and breeze but you also get shade and no mozzies or flies – best of both worlds.
    If you have digital scales they don’t respond well to being moved. Mine say that they have to be recalibrated every time they are moved. I keep mine in the wardrobe – it stops me weighing very often as I have to calibrate them before use! Have you been taking measurements – I often find that those changes can keep me motivated when the scales are not giving me good news. Although 2kf for 5 FDs doesn’t sound unreasonable – Two fast days in a week used to mean about 0.5kg weight loss for me (or sometimes none).

Cinque, Thin and others fasting today – hope you have an easy day.

Naptime, something I forgot to mention earlier. I do choose foods I like – not just look at calorie content. It’s important that food choices on both FDs and NFDs don’t all feel like a punishment or a massive compromise. Choosing mostly foods you enjoy helps avoid that sense of deprivation that I think leads you to the need for a junk day. There’s a definite limit to the amount of deprivation we can tolerate before we feel we are owed a food reward. I also found that it was important to understand my appetite, as I ate for many reasons, but it was rarely because I was actually hungry. It helped me become more aware of matching meals to appetite rather than time or day or mood or emotion or tiredness or loneliness…

NFD for me, as I fasted yesterday.
    I’ve had a lazy start to the day, but I need do to spend some more time prepping external window frames ready for painting – I’ve nearly finished the prep for the frames at the front of house. My new back door and laundry doors should be installed tomorrow – more things to paint!

For those of you who are interested, this link was posted on the science articles site: http://www.bbc.co.uk/guides/zg3hk7h
    Just click on the picture of Dr Chris van Tulleken and it will take you to the test.
    It’s a bit of fun rather than an accurate assessment, as it doesn’t look at blood tests, BP, disease history, etc, just some very broad lifestyle indicators.
    Although I was rather chuffed to be told I was actually 41 – I wish!

Nap, how long have you been doing your latest regime? Losing 3.5kg in one week is amazing, it is no wonder that your next step on the scales showed some of it back on. You’d hope to lose half a kilo a week, so you might still be ahead, depending on how much you’ve put back on and in how many weeks.

Good grief LJoyce, I came out 6 years younger than I really am!!!!!

Hi again, thanks for the responses. It is nice to ‘see’ some familiar faces – Thin, Cinque, Merry. Great to see you are still around and are maintaining.

Thin, current weight is 76kg. I was down to 73kg which was my target (just because it was a nice round 50kg loss – I hoped to move my goal down to 70kg after sitting at 73kg for a bit). My OH keeps saying ‘you only put on 300g (or whatever) – but a gain is a gain, and that is where the slippery slope starts, which scares me so much.

Cinque, how junky is my junk day? Um, well, the junk is usually an extra 500 – 1000 cals I would say – but sometimes there is also a take away meal in there, too. After being so strict, both OH and I were enjoying relaxing a bit – but it has gotten out of control and we are both finding it hard to rein it in. One week I’ll be strong and OH buys the junk, the next week it’ll be me who buys it. We seem to both encourage each other, but in a bad way.

Joyce, it’s interesting that you say you need less than TDEE. It doesn’t seem fair, does it? I also wonder if this may be the case with me – I am coming from an eating disorder background, so wonder if I have done some ‘damage’ to my metabolism through years of self abuse.

Cinque, the week before Xmas I noticed the scales were showing a gain – and it has really not changed since then. It hasn’t been a huge gain everytime, but as things stand, I am still 3kg over my original goal weight, and 6kg from where I want to be. But in reality, I have been treading water since I hit goal in April. My diet/food has been controlling me, if that makes sense. Everything I do is thought of in terms of food, calories, and weight gain.

I was on 1200cals for nfd for a while, but was still gaining. So I increased it to 1400 (in case it was too low with the two fd as well) and planned everything I ate. It was a great week and I had that massive loss. The next week though I just went up a bit, and I’m not sure where to go from here. 1200cals/daily is really tough going, especially after being so strict on that for nearly 2 years. 1400cals is more doable, as it means I can have a piece of fruit mid morning and a yoghurt in the afternoon – which helps get me through the day. I also make sure I factor in my dessert (skinny cow ice cream or something similar). But I do wish I could have another 100 cals a day or so.

I always thought when I reached maintenance, everything would be different. I was looking forward to real bread, maybe peanut butter and cheese! But in reality, nothing changed. I still had to watch what I ate, and I was still having to weigh in every week and still fast twice a week. It has been a hard, hard lesson – that I will always have to watch my diet. And when I think like that, then I start to get quite disheartened. I want to have proper bread, I want to have peanut butter and cheese sometimes – will I never be able to have that sort of thing again? Cinque, you mentioned how important it is not to feel deprived – but how do you do that?

So, what do you all think? Do I continue to count cals and keep it to 1400 on nfd? Do I do 16:8 as well for a bit to kick it in the butt? How do I rein in the junk days?

Sorry, for the long ramble…

Thank you for the welcome home LJ, JJulie and Cinque! I dropped 8 years! We all did better than those on British TV! Questions a little dubious, nonetheless, better than being on the other side!

I’m just having my FD soup. Some things never change. DD has just left for a mixed vet practice down in the southwest of our state and OH still hasn’t returned from Qld so I’ll be spending this week by myself. It will be interesting to see what, if anything, I make for dinner with no-one else to worry about.

Is yuba what you’re calling the tofu skin Cinque? I saw a few (dozen) posts back that you had bought some bean curd skin. I haven’t tried it for a FD because I need a microscope to read the nutritional value on the packet. Have you managed to spend some great grandma time with the little ones without getting your sleep interrupted? I read that you had gone there for a sleepover one night.

It sounds like Mr & Mrs Penguin are wasting away on their respective water and otherwise FD marathons. I wonder what, if anything, has been planned for the breaking of the fast! That’s Monday night, I believe?

JJulie, you’re also doing a fastathon? I won’t go back to the previous page or we’ll all be here all day with my catching up. I don’t mind kangaroo, nice lean meat, but don’t really know any good ways to BBQ it. DD and I have had a largely vegetarian diet for the past month while OH has been away and she’s been doing production rotations which she says are enough to put anyone off eating meat. I’m all for people getting connected with where their meat comes from and seeing how it’s slaughtered and processed.

Anyway, the ‘eat mostly plants’ style of eating suits me well, my weight’s been well down without much effort. As everyone knows, I don’t really drink alcohol these days and that’s a really calorific addition for anyone wondering why the weight’s not coming off.

How are your ‘better control’ weekends going, Lindsay?

LJ, it sounds like the renos are still in progress.

Hi CalifD, I’ve just read your post. That bird must have been hilarious. Yes, bridge is taking up a bit of my time. I should have tackled it a few decades ago when my brain was more pliable. I’m following along OK so far but have to keep checking my notes in between lessons.

I’ve also spent a lot of time fighting the illegal operation next door. Besides my own submission, I started a petition in our street because it hasn’t been properly advertised to warrant a major zoning change so I wanted to gauge how people felt. All but one person on my street signed so I guess that will give the local council something to chew on. It was very time-consuming collecting signatures because each house visit lasted about 45 minutes! The current guests have really worn me down. Anyone who’s been located next to the newly wealthy mainland Chinese in a hotel lately will empathise. I got a good recording of them to submit to the council and then I asked them over the fence to please be quiet, explaining that this is not a hotel. I really wanted to play my obnoxious recording (which by the way I haven’t been able to get off MY mind since I posted it here, grrr!) but couldn’t bring myself to do it. Thank God I’m A Country Boy.

Enough of that. Enough of me. I hope everyone’s doing well – Minka, Merry, Arelkade.

P.S. Nap, yours arrived while I was writing and now I have to go out – I’m not ignoring you, will read it later. Don’t give up! This is for life as you know. We’re all here to help.

Thin, Yes I suppose you could say a fastathon!! I am doing 5 days fast with 16:8 at the same time. I am being strict on myself so I can get this to budge!! I also hear you about the alcohol and I have not been having any at all. I had the Kangaroo last night with my salad as I know the meat is lean. I cooked the meat at home myself and sliced it thinly. Then put the slices on top of my salad. I think BBQing kangaroo may make it tough, as you have to be very careful to not overcook it and the secret is letting the meat rest. Another secret is the lemon and orange juice which also helps to tenderise it as well as taking a lot of the gamey flavour away. This was the first meat I had eaten all week as I had been on my vegetarian diet again due to loosing a lot of kgs when on it before.

Dont get me going about the Chinese!!!! I agree they are noisy. They cant just talk to each other they just yell at each other. I have been in hotel rooms near or next to them and have complained to the hotel about the carry on. My daughter ended up getting out of bed at 3am in a hotel one night, opening the room door to find this woman standing in the passageway yelling into her hotel room from there. The death stare that my daughter gave her was enough to let her know what we wanted to say to her. This hotel is my regular hotel in Osaka and I am a member of the hotel group. I told them to never put me near chinese again!!
    I have also read that a lot of hotels in Japan are refusing to take bookings from Chinese due to the number of complaints they have received in the recent years that they have been traveling to Japan. And be careful you dont get caught up in a shop when they all arrive on a guided shopping trip!!!

Naptime, I think that what you’ll have to do to lose more weight is different to what will maintain your weight. Obviously losing means more sacrifices in the short term, but in the long term keeping the FDs will give you more leeway. To lose weight, I don’t think a junk food day works because the extra calories and the 2 FDs basically cancel each other out. To lose weight I’d suggest:
    – Change your junk day to one special meal. eg one takeaway or cafe meal or something that is a little special for you – don’t overdo it. That way you still have something to look forward to, but don’t undo an entire week of weight loss effort.
    – Only continue to count calories on NFDs if you think it helps. If it makes you feel like you are on a diet every single day than I don’t think that’s helpful, it just makes you want that junk day even more.
    -If you don’t count calories then you need to know that your food choices and serving sizes are appropriate for your needs. It might mean that you reduce your serve of the high calorie portion of a meal and add a few more veg to go with it.
    – Only do 16:8 if it suits your eating and hunger pattern. I do it because I’m never hungry at breakfast time and because my biggest problem with binge eating was in the evening, so it works well for me. If you think it will fit into your life then try it, but I it’s not a sustainable option for everyone.
    – Keep your calories a little lower on the FD if you can do it comfortably. I eventually found that I could manage with just dinner and cups of tea on FDs. My low cal meal choices mean I’m normally around 350-400cals. It just gives me a little more of a buffer for the other days. However do what feels sustainable for you long term.
    – Be realistic about the rate of weight loss. If your TDEE is low then you may only lose 1-2kg per month (after week one which was a large loss this was my weight loss rate).
    – Increasing activity levels can make some difference, unless it makes you hungrier, in which case you probably end up eating more extra calories than you burn.
    – Remember that showing more restraint than usual while losing weight is temporary. When you get to your goal weight you will be able to eat a little more on the NFDs when you are just maintaining.

Thin, I really hope your petition gets good results.

Well, I’d better get back to cooking the chicken & chorizo rissoles – they also have lots of grated & minced veggies hiding in them.

Lots of interesting posts. I have never eaten Kangaroo but it is possible to get it here so I may give it a try, at least there will be no mosquitos. There are disadvantages to living in a small village with sheep over the garden wall, but at least they are usually quiet neighbours. Having spent a year of my youth dividing my time between the Kowloon YMCA and the back room of a temple in a Chinese fishing village I remember the noise. Mostly I liked the bustle and constant activity, but on my free days I paddled my kayak out to an otherwise uninhabited island.

OH and I did that BBC real age quiz yesterday. OH is apparently 15 years younger than her birth certificate and I can be 20 years younger, depending on how I answer the smoking question. I claim that over 25 years since I last smoked a pipe qualifies me as a none smoker. Good to hear but I have my doubts. We are now three and a half days into our fast. No problems. I don’t know what this is doing to our interior but the outside is disappearing.

Coffee now, then off out – going to take my sketch pad to a small aviation museum on an airfield about 20 miles. away.

Today was FD – I am doing the new 5:2 which includes 14 hour fast and 800 cal – for me it starts with a 14-16 hour fast from the evening before. Get up and do a 1 hour walk around the lakes and Botanical Gardens in Cairns (I walk every morning FD or NFD). Plenty of water during and after the walk. Breakfast at around 10.30 – huge mug of coffee with 150ml lite milk, stewed 1 apple and 1 nectarine (both small) with a sprinkle of cinnamon, 1 tbs flax seeds and 1 tbs sunflower seeds mixed into the stewed fruit – yum. Nothing until 6pm dinner – kanga steak with stir fried garlic, fresh chilli, leek, cabbage, mushrooms, snow peas and chopped kale – seasoned with juice from 1/2 lime, 10 g crushed home roasted peanuts (no added oil or salt), 1 tsp kecap manis (sweet soy sauce) and some ground turmeric. The timing of the meals is an 8 hour window according to 16:8
    The reason why I posted this, is because I am interested in finding out what other SHers eat on their FD, and also what the other oldies (I’ll be 71 in early April) do for exercise.

Nap, I felt a bit sad when I read your last post about everything you do being thought of in terms of food. I can really identify with that because I spent most of my life being controlled by food and it’s only really in the last 2-3 years that I can finally say that I am in control of food and not the other way round (most of the time, anyway). What a shame we have to reply like this because it doesn’t ever come out quite as well as it would sitting at a table with a nice, frothy coffee (which I am very much looking forward to tomorrow morning).

Everyone will have their different ideas so you just have to decide which bits feel right. I agree with LJ and Cinque. And I think you need to celebrate having stayed the same weight since last April – that’s got to be good having lost 50kgs surely. I agree with you too about the slippery slope. Don’t get on it. I take my trigger weight very seriously because I still remember how easy it is to let it all go. It does take constant vigilance. Maintenance 5:2 is boring and looks much the same as weight loss 5:2 for me but without the excitement of losing weight. I still think it beats the alternative. So here I stay.

I can’t help feeling that junk day isn’t doing you any good. Even its name isn’t helping. I didn’t lose even half the weight you did but over that year and the ensuing years of maintenance, my food preferences and portions were shaped without my even realising it. On one plateau, I did finally cut out all bread just to see if it would make a difference and now it’s really not even a part of my life. I could have it occasionally but find I just don’t think about it at all. I believe that if you do just keep going, over time your preferences will change. I agree calorie counting is the pits and it’s nice to have a treat now and then. But do you really hang out for that junk day and enjoy it as much as you think? Or do you love being slim, healthy and eating moderately at least as much? How do you feel after you’ve had the junk day? I tend to feel horrid if I eat things no longer on the overall plan. And I usually pay on the scales. I wonder if you could liven up the 5 days a little and ditch the junk day.

Can you reward yourself with something besides food? What about a romantic his ‘n’ hers massage? A new summer dress that shows off your smaller frame? A new hobby or class?

JJulie, thanks for the kangaroo tips to reduce the gamey taste. Yes, I think it must be cooked on a very hot grill for a short time. Your post made me laugh. In Thailand last year, hotels were contemplating the prospect of ‘Chinese only hotels’ and ‘non-Chinese hotels’. The Thais are so mild-mannered and loathe to enforce the rules but certain guests didn’t feel the pool curfews, etc applied to them and that was upsetting other guests’ stay. Some of the behaviour at the breakfast buffets was something to behold as well. The poor staff could only follow them around with a mop and bucket. Now I don’t even have to leave home to experience it and can’t request a non-smoking room or one away from the pool area. Thanks LJ, I’ll let you know if my petition and 8 page submission are successful.

Hi Sybs and welcome to our forum. We have a thread for FD ideas here: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/southern-hemispherites-fd-recipes/
    I tend to stick to the same FD foods a lot because I’m lazy. I’m 61 and walk daily for exercise but that’s about all with an occasional kayak. I am psyching myself up for a bit of resistance training one day.

Well done Penguin and Mrs P.

Hope your FDs are going well nowadays Cinque. Was today’s great? I think I will get another pot of mung beans started tomorrow. I think I could eat that every night.

JJulie, when’s your fast over and what are you having to eat to break it?

wwall, I’m pleased that blue tongue found a new home.

Must get to bed now. It takes a lot to catch up, doesn’t it?

Argh! I had written a response, and then the iPad decided to wipe it all out!
    I really appreciate all the support and advice – I have missed this place!

Congrats Thin on staying under 60kg. How long have you been on maintenance now?

Joyce, I appreciate all you wrote. I am going to try and limit the junk to one meal or one afternoon. I would love to get rid of it all for just a couple of weeks, but I don’t know how we would cope with that. OH wants to lose weight as well (but refuses to fast), but it is hard to resist the old patterns of eating!

I do keep my fd cals down under 400 – usually 385 as I eat pretty much the same thing.

And you are right, tightening up on things like cals on nfd only has to be temporary – once the weight is back down, I can relax into maintenance a bit.

Thin, it’s funny, I never think I have done well to lose the 50kg – I always just think how much I am mucking up at the moment! And I hear how people like you are keeping it at a maintenance level, and I think how awesome you are.

I am glad someone understands about food being so controlling. How did you ‘learn’ to not have food controlling you? Do you know?

I don’t enjoy the junk days very much, no. I usually end up feeling guilty and hating myself for doing it. And then the eating disorder patterns start to rear their head, which is worrying.

I will have to think of some other way to reward myself…

Fast day for me today, as yesterday we had a family lunch. Still going to 16:8 as well, with no brekky or milk until 12pm. I’ll keep the 16:8 going until Friday’s weigh in, then reassess.

Hope everyone has a good Monday, and those who are fasting have a great fd.

Thin, what an excellent catch up! I hope you got a lovely sleep after all that.

I had a good fast day yesterday, I might be back into a bit of a good rhythm. Touch wood and whistle, we’ll see. Yuba is the beancurd skins. They are brilliant in my miso soup, and it worked well to soak it (just one stick) with the dry mushrooms overnight.

You make me hungry for those mung beans. Enjoy your solitary time and cooking for one. I hope it is a real pleasure.

And well done for your signature work. How exhausting, but I bet it was good for building networks in the street, and fingers crossed it helps the council make a good decision.

JJulie, congratulations on your special fasting, you are doing wonderfully.

Penguin, what a young wife you have! It is 25 years since I stopped smoking so it would be lovely if it didn’t count. I was a very light smoker, but I managed to spread it out over many years. Luckily having a cat knocked a year off (I thought she was adding years with all the stress of trying to make the cat flap work!).
    You will be into new territory with your fasting now, hope it is going well!
    And I hope it was lovely sketching.

Sybs, I am a decade younger than you (I’ll be 61 in June) so I am super impressed by your lifestyle. Have you always been interested in such delicious healthy food, or did that come with starting 5:2?
    My life is constrained by chronic illness (ME/CFS) so I do very little activity, but luckily 5:2 works anyway. I might have told you about my fast days already: lots of water, cups of tea with a dash of milk, one pot of coffee with about half a cup of milk in the late morning, and a bowl of miso soup with vegetables in the early evening.
    And I am playing around with adding in another bowl of soup in the early afternoon to make the day easier.

Nap, I am thinking about what you have written (especially about the peanut better). I’ll write another post after a cuppa with a neighbour who is coming in a minute.

And a special shout out to all the nice quiet Chinese people (and the loud ones) reading our thread. 🙂

Welcome home, thin! Glad to see you back here.

I’ll post more later because I have several errands to do in a few, but just wanted to say welcome to Naptime and add a suggestion or two if I may, on the weight loss. The way I deal with junk food is that I try not to bring it into the house. Or if I do, it’s only an amount that I and OFM will eat in one serving. Preferably, we eat it away from home. (And no fair eating a liter of ice cream in the car!) That way there are no leftovers to call out to me late at night. There is one exception, a dessert that we can only find here a few times per year. That is a Danish pastry called a Kringle. We do have a few of those stashed in the freezer in the garage, underneath all the bags of frozen vegetables. We only eat them on special occasions like holidays. So far, that hasn’t been a problem.

I’m on maintenance and do 5:2. I have never counted calories on NFD, but I try to make healthy food choices most of the time. On FD I count every calorie and eat about 500. On NFD I eat a fair amount of bread but it is mostly whole grain breads. I’m careful with the butter and only have that and a little Vegemite on it in the mornings. Eating lots of steamed vegetables, preferably before or along with other food helps keep me full. I eat a lot of legumes because the fiber is very filling. There’s a Nigerian Bean Soup recipe that Cinque posted a couple months ago in the recipe section that’s really good. Several of us here made it and liked it. I don’t feel like I’m on a diet except on FD. They usually cancel out any indulgences on NFDs.

Alcohol can really slow weight loss. I mostly avoid it. That’s all I can think of to add right now, I hope it’s helpful.

Viewing 50 posts - 14,901 through 14,950 (of 28,011 total)

You must be logged in to reply.