Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,907 replies, has 831 voices, and was last updated by  thinatlast 1 day, 15 hours ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 11,601 through 11,650 (of 28,011 total)

• I look away for a short time and see what happens …. so many posts to catch up with. Good to see every one back. It’s a fasty Wednesday and I know exactly how it’s going to unfold. I couldn’t even contemplate it if I knew it would extend until Friday morning. We can always look for ways to make our eating patterns more healthy but a fasting marathon isn’t one of them, at least not for me. This is a WOE for life which means we have the rest of our lives to get it right. A downward trend is all we need strive for, or at a minimum, no upward trend. So, relax, take it easy, enjoy the NFDs. If you overdo them, you’ll learn from that and there’ll be a FD coming up to set it right again.

LJ, I haven’t done anything about the mung beans yet but at least I have the recipes now.

Cinque, thanks for the lowdown on your weight loss history. Haven’t you done well! Yes, I agree with you & Merry, my scales have gone awry with my BMI, hopefully not my weight too. Merry, you seem to be staying steady, good job.

Redmoon, have a safe road trip. Can you pack some meals to avoid those greasy spoons?

Joffy, good to hear that your Winery Walkabout was a success. And you’re already looking forward to next year’s event!

Relle c, after reading Joffy’s reference to it, I scrolled back and saw that your post had re-appeared. With respect to managing your calorie bank on a FD, most of us have found that it’s helpful to go as long as possible without food on a FD. This prevents awakening the ‘hunger dragon’ but also saves a decent number of calories for a teeny evening meal lookalike which can include some protein so you don’t go to bed hungry. If, like me, you’re addicted to a morning coffee, you can still enjoy this either black (heaven forbid) or with an adaptation such as almond & coconut milk which is so low in cals. I personally don’t eat anything until 2pm when I have home made cauliflower soup, 103 cals, so filling, and then again at 5pm, a small meal of approximately 140-250 cals.

Apart from managing my FD calories this way, I find I enjoy the discipline that not eating requires of me. It sometimes makes me feel quite smug especially if others are eating around me. And, of course, this affords a longer fasting window (notwithstanding the cheating over coffee). Not having the coffee is the one thing that would prevent me fasting twice weekly long-term so I make that 20 calorie concession to make the FD as ‘normal’ as possible. You’ll find what works for you.

I’m going to stop now as I see I have an email from Minka coming through! Is everyone having a great day? I hope so!

Minka, that raspberry cube sounds lovely – but then I love all things raspberry. I think your attitude to it was spot on. When you do commit to a discretionary food like that there’s no point being half-hearted about it, just enjoy.

Some time ago we were discussing freezing leftover zucchini slice. I said that I didn’t freeze it as it was always soggy when thawed. Someone (can’t remember who, sorry) said they crisped it up in a frying pan. For dinner tonight I thawed a piece that I’d frozen a month ago. I wasn’t confident as it was a 4cm thick piece which can hold a lot of moisture. When it thawed it was exactly as I remembered – like a sponge that was saturated with water. But I pressed on and heated up a frying pan. I also decided to sprinkle the damp surface of the zucchini slice with a little dry cornmeal to help soak up the moisture and hopefully create a crisp surface. I cooked it for about 4 minutes on each side. The outside texture and taste was great, really crunchy. The inner texture wasn’t overly wet, but it wasn’t as good as a freshly baked zucchini slice – still quite palatable though. I think when I reheat the remaining slice I’ll cut it into smaller pieces first – then I can maximise the amount of crunchy surface area, which was definitely the best part of tonight’s dinner. So, whoever provided the pan-frying idea for reheating zucchini slice – thankyou.

That was me LJoyce! And I realised after I had said it that one of the things that makes a difference is letting it thaw slowly in the fridge. But the pan was the other thing, so yay! And yes it is yum, but not as good as freshly baked.

Minka so glad you posted. It sounds like a good trip south. Just as well you didn’t contact me, I would have made a moaning sound and lots of sniffles and explained I was too sick to see anyone.

It was tonight I was going to have my granddaughter, but decided to wait a few more days til I got a bit more vim (I don’t have much at the best of times!).

Relle, I went back and found your post too! Thankyou for the birthday wishes!
    I wonder what you think, listening to us, how obsessed we all still are with what and when we eat! 😉 😉 😉
    But I think we get healthier thinking as well as healthier bodies, as we go along.
    That is a good plan for Non Fast Days re being careful with portion sizes.

I hope you have had a lovely day Thin, it is nice for it to be stable and steady and smug! 😀
    That is what I am hoping for tomorrow!

Good evening all! Best wishes for the winter solstice!

Hi LJ,

Good tips about the frozen zucchini slice! I’ll have to make more use of our freezer. For some reason I find that when I freeze something it goes out of my mind and I forget it is there! Of course we have an old fridge/freezer that frosts up and things are difficult to identify beneath the icy snow that pervades the space! I’m looking forward to a frost free version that we’re now considering.

By the way, I’m up to page 232 and I saw your query about the inulin powder. I buy mine via ‘Natural City’ and since I buy 2 kg + at a time, I pay around $49.95 for the two kilograms (last time I ordered I bought 4 kilograms since I’m committed for the long haul with this). I found Natural City customer service very good since I’ve had to ring them since 2 kg was missing from my last order, though that was rectified pronto! I take Morlife Certified Organic Inulin Powder that is derived from Jerusalem artichokes though admittedly imported, though it is ACO Certified Organic and packed in Australia in a food premises with ISO rating. Morlife is an Australian owned company. Hope that helps. Here’s a link to what I buy… https://morlife.com/products/inulin-powder-certified-organic?variant=33931616079

Here’s what the Zumbo dessert looked like both inside and out! Note, I ate the individual portion and that was plenty. I wouldn’t have desired the bigger cake, as this delicacy had an ‘X-Factor’ that truly filled me up on so many levels, is why it was worth the calorie and dollar spend!

Outside view: http://zumbo.com.au/product/v8-raspberry-ind/

Inside view: https://www.zomato.com/photos/pv-res-16562937-u_k0ODc5NTIxNzc1

Thanks for sharing the innards of that cake Minka! Truly amazing, I’m sure I’ve never seen or eaten anything like it. Your description of your freezer had me howling with laughter. We have a bar fridge with a small freezer like that and you described it perfectly. Since embarking on 5:2, my proper freezer is always full of neatly stacked portions of FD things, mostly cauliflower soup and A&C milk as you would have guessed.

Cinque, I hope you are the full container of vim very soon. I knew you’d understand what I was on about wrt relle c’s post! If you’re reading relle, sometimes our posts disappear for a while or even indefinitely when we edit them. It’s a glitch the webmaster, JJ, is working on.

Yes, it was a smug and tasty FD thanks Cinque. I had the bacon & chicken casserole family FD option tonight. It’s hard to believe it’s a FD meal as it’s so filling. Yes, we do go on about food a lot, don’t we? We had our first rain for ages today, showers really but, at 19C, if felt like winter. So, yes, the solstice. How did your FD go Minka?

Good wishes to the Thursday fasters. LJ, I’ve lost track of your days as I believe you did alternate FDs (Sat/Mon was it?) this week. Serves you right for having such an exciting & full social life. Not jealous at all.

Good morning, hoping to have a stable, steady, smug, fast day today!

Cheers for yours Thin!

I have woken up hungry though. I’ll put off having the last of the cauliflower soup as long as possible. Maybe a boiled egg with it. Better write a list of activities to distract me too!

Stay strong Cinque. Waking up hungry poses an extra challenge on a FD. But you’re a veteran and you can do it.

Hello all.

LJoyce yes I would love any crafty bits and pieces you are happy to give away – thank you so much for the offer.

Havent ‘officially’ started Keto as yet. Have been slowly cutting back carbs to get me in the flow of things. Found a wonderful book for $2 at the op shop a few days ago. Its about Paleo and is as thick as a brick. Im not going Paleo but the book has a wealth of info which relates to Keto so have had my nose stuck in the book the last few nights – really interesting reading.

The cold mornings (minus 1 on Tuesday) are playing havoc with my morning exercise routine but healthy eating and fast days going well.

Hi everyone, another “quickie”, Minka that raspberry Zumba looks absolutely delicious, I also love anything raspberry and sweet! Thank you for the great advice and encouragement with my NFD’S I have managed to do the last 2 with less calorie intake than I normally do so hoping I can stay on track. Today is my FD but I’m a bit worried about it as we leave this afternoon ( Hubby changed day on me) to head to Sydney and I know he’s going to stop to get dinner. We are towing a trailer so it’s not going to be easy to stop anywhere that I could get a salad unless there’s a subway at one of the service stations along the way.I don’t have time to make food to take but am taking some protein bars in the hope I eat them instead of crap. Have a good fast day non fast day all. Cinque you are amazing like Thin with all the weight loss you have achieved and kept off.

Minka – thank you for the inulin powder stockist details. I’m always wary of buying online until I’m sure a site is legit and reliable. Also, thankyou for the photos – I can live vicariously and imagine the raspberry flavour. I’ve never been to Zumbo as it’s been years since I went anywhere east of the great dividing range. In the 2 decades from 1990 I used to travel to Sydney and Melbourne regularly for work, but I haven’t been back once I moved to a job that didn’t require the travel.

Redmoon, good luck with the trip. I’d suggest that you allow enough calories for a cup of coffee or tea when you stop. I find it’s easier to stick with the food I’ve brought with me if I can at least order a cup of hot tea, rather than nothing.

Cinque, hope your energy levels pick up a bit soon. While I don’t have your condition, fatigue is a symptom of the RA and some days I feel like I’m wading through treacle trying to do simple tasks.

On the issue of overstocked freezers, I found a couple of approaches helped me make the most of those spare serves of meals that had been tucked away for another day.
    Because I live alone I put a lot of homemade meals into the freezer as I don’t see the point of doing a lot of cooking to end up with just one serve of something – I make the full recipie and freeze several serves and I always make soups in bulk and freeze some. My only freezer is the compartment at the top of the fridge but it is usually crammed with meals, soups, bread and raw meats and packets of frozen veg. Frankly I could not shop for a month and survive quite well – except for the lack of fruit and fresh milk for my cups of tea.
    That means I have to get on top of what is in my freezer and have a plan to use it. I realise this is going to sound a bit excessive, but I keep a rough list of the meals that I’ve put in. I have an excel spreadsheet that I use to roughly plan my meals for the week (eg the daily NFD lunch plan is usually “soup, toast & cheese” and I’ll sort out which soup on the day and I might change the cheese to a couple of boiled eggs if that’s what I feel like). The list is just a text box that sits on the side, reminding me to choose some things from the freezer rather than buying all new fresh ingredients to cook. Often my meal plan will just say “freezer meal” for dinner and I’ll choose what I feel like on the day – I find this really helpful on busy days when I know I won’t want to cook.
    I also tend to shop the way my mother did, with everything I could possibly ever want in my pantry. If I don’t plan meals that use these ingredients there is a lot of food waste. To help with this I have at least one week per month where I try to buy as little as possible in the weekly grocery shop and plan all meals from what is in the pantry, fridge and freezer. I usually need to buy milk and fresh fruit, but even veg I can mostly do from my freezer. Not only does this make me look at what is actually in the pantry and freezer and use them, it also saves me money as I have at least one week per month with a very low grocery bill. I also waste less which helps my peace of mind.

It’s a FD for me today. I could have done it today or tomorrow but it felt like a FD when I got up this morning, so that’s what I’m doing. Just one pot of tea so far and not hungry yet. For dinner, I have half a container of lentil veg soup in the fridge that I thawed out a couple of days ago. I might have a boiled egg with it.

Good morning. Cold and clear here.
    I’ve already broken my fast with sardines on toast (which also made the cat happy as she LOVES the briney bit). Coffee is on the stove.

I had to laugh when I saw your barracking post Thin, because I only lasted about half an hour after I wrote yesterday. But I had a small meal of soup with the crust of bread, and then I was fine til I had my soup in the evening. I think the whole days calories kept under 500 and I felt much better for it.
    It was a good fast day.
    I really enjoyed being hungry towards the end of yesterday. It was lovely how it heightened the pleasure of my miso soup and how much I looked forward to today!

I’ve been having backache and (I think) trouble with shallow breathing, so I am really working hard to do deep breathing exercise and my yoga stretches twice a day. With that, recovering from my cold, and getting some cooking done, I am feeling very productive and healthy.

Today I am making my mung bean soup again (using the last cup of mungbeans, the whole bag has gone into this recipe!) and a chard and ricotta tart (rainbow chard from my garden) and a big pot of Shrewsbury stew (never heard of it? neither has google! It thinks it is a building! But it is a great stew of meat and veg with lots of mustard in it!). That should set me up til mid next week.

I only have a small freezer too. My strategy for making sure things don’t get lost in there is to periodically ‘eat the freezer’. ie every meal has to include something from the freezer, and I am not allowed to do a big shop until it is empty. I really need to do this every couple of months.
    (But ofcourse you do it with a spreadsheet LJoyce! 😉 🙂 )

Yesterday was such a good day that I defrosted the freezer (yes my fridge is that old!) and I have set myself the job of eating the few things in there within the week (since I will stack Shrewsbury stew and mung bean soup in there!).

Redmoonstar, I hope your trip went well. That cuppa tip was an excellent one LJoyce!
    I feel so lucky to have found 5:2 Redmoonstar, it changed my life after decades of trying other things. The no sugar is hard, but luckily there are lots of wonderful things to eat that don’t have sugar!

Have fun with your paleo book Gday!
    I have my nose in my African Recipe Books (again). How I wish I was well and could cook for people! I have so many things I am itching to make, and I could get my community food project off the ground so easily! Oh well, no point in crying for the moon.

Off to start the day. Oh and I am going to fast on Saturday… tomorrow! as I will be busy at my daughters place on Sunday.

Best wishes to everyone fasting today, and best wishes to everyone not fasting today!

Good morning everyone,
    Unfortunately I haven’t been up to thinking that much lately so it was good to get back on here and read what you have been up to and how you are all going.
    I felt really good after my first two fast days last week. We went out Friday night and without any forewarning I went into a short period of unconsciousness and ended up in coronary care for the weekend. Doctor thinks it was my heart (have family history) or possibly brain. I’m home but am now on the merry go round of tests etc. hoping to find out what happened sooner rather than later.
    I told him about the diet but he dismissed it having anything to do with it thank goodness. Weight loss is what is needed regardless of my diagnosis. I am impatient to start my fast days but think it’s best to wait untiI I feel better.
    I’d be interested in hearing how others have dealt with illness and the diet. I’m on a heart monitor at home until Sunday but once it’s off I want to restart my diet.

Have a great day everyone 🙂

Relle – so sorry to hear you are having such serious health issues. I hope you are getting good ongoing follow-up care and soon have clear answers of what caused the unconsciousness. Hope you also feel well enough to tackle your weight soon.

Cinque – I know of a Shrewsbury sauce for lamb – the key ingredients are red currant jelly and worchestershire sauce (I have seen some versions that contain english mustard instead of the worchestershire sauce, although I never make the mustard version). I use it with both lamb chops or chicken breasts. I often add similar ingredients to a slow braised casserole if it contains mainly lamb. You can make it as a gravy to serve with roast lamb, but I don’t use it that way, I’m a mint sauce girl when it comes to roast lamb.

Not sure what happened with my FD yesterday. Usually by mid-afternoon on a cold day I’m quite hungry, but not yesterday. Even at dinner time I still didn’t feel hungry. I did eventually have a bowl of soup because I was worried about being able to sleep on a totally empty stomach. This is quite an uncharacteristic way for my body to behave. Just when I think I have it figured out it leaves me guessing again.

Well I’ve made the soup and had a bowl for lunch (delicious!), and the chard tart is in the oven, so a piece of that will be second course!
    No redcurrant or Worcestershire sauce in this Shrewsbury recipe LJoyce, but it has parsnip and turnip instead of potatoes which means I like it better thawed and reheated!

Yesterday sounds like a great day for you , good body reading! best wishes for a lovely day today.

Relle, good to see your post, but what a fright you have had! I so hope it was just a blip (not a blimp!) and doesn’t ever happen again! I also hope you soon feel ready to have your next fast day, but slow and steady will do it best! I hope you have people looking after you for a bit! Sending good wishes.

I do 5:2 while having me/cfs (same as Merry). I was so frightened the first day as, so often, trying something new leads to a relapse and a long time of recovery. But I think the fact that 5:2 is very gentle (it isn’t even a proper fast, since we have those 500 calories!) and my poor body had been crying out for a break from eating… it has all been good. I have been able to do it over Christmas, through other busy times (in fact it makes a busy time easier to not have to think about meals for a day!) and through my bad cold.
    Saying that, I have made the most of its flexibility also.

Well, I need to lie down before tackling the Shrewbury Stew (even though it is an easy pressure cooker recipe), so cheers all.

Catching up with reading; day after FD; 64.0kgs this morning; still not back to my usual normal but did get out for a little while todayafter 3 days of rest; think I’m fighting off a bug.

Posting today for Rellie. Good to know that the Drs have said the fasting could not be the cause of your episode, and hoping it doesn’t happen again. Whatever happens, getting your weight back to normal can only assist your health. Rellie – as Cinque has said, we both have Myalgic Encephalomyelitis, commonly known as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, which compromises our health and ability to live ‘normally”. I also put on a lot of weight after getting this disease, and of course, extra weight compromises health.

I lost over 10kgs on my own and then 21kgs on 5:2 to reach my normal weight. I had been on blood pressure medication pre 5:2. My GP, who supervised my health while I was losing weight, advised me I would need to graduate off blood pressure meds. I halved the meds part way through then a couple of months later passed out in the bathroom one night and off to hospital by ambulance. When the ambos arrived my blood pressure was quite low.

Like you, 5:2 was dismissed as being any cause, in fact they thought it was good, and a good thing I was partway down towards my normalweight . The final verdict was that I had passed out due to my blood pressure going too low. There were 3 factors: people with ME/CFS usually have a slightly lower blood volume so we need to drink lots and take a little extra salt to keep our blood volume up. That afternoon and evening I’d forgotten to drink enough. I was getting tired, it was after 9pm and I had stood up and down several times in about 5-10 mins. Then I went to the loo. All these things lower blood pressure a bit and I’d done several at once. Bingo.

It’s never happened again. I went to the GP a couple of days later and was taken off the last amount of BP meds. My GP and I were both surprised that I no longer needed them so quickly after halving the dose. My BP remains normal and I make sure I don’t get into that sort of situation again. I went on to reach my goal weight and it has been very important in improving my heart health. I have gone from needing a yearly batch of tests to no linger needing them eegularly. Every 5kg of weight loss improves cardiac functioning.

Hope you are feeling better now and you continue onnwith your 5:2 journey uneventfully.
    Merry

Here we go again, ‘Most Popular’ menu showing a post from Merry 30 minutes ago, but Merry’s post is nowhere to be seen. What’s the deal?

Sorry to hear of your health scare relle. I don’t think anyone here would want to be passing out advice under those circumstances. However, I do find it hard to think of many circumstances whereby eating less would harm many of us. As Cinque says, it’s not even a true fast and you’ve already said you need to lose weight (which after all IS the cause of many of our ailments). It seems you have enough on your plate for now though (pun intended). Let us know what happens after Sunday and take care in the meantime.

A dash of Worcestershire Sauce was my secret weapon in spag bols and other dishes for years. It really lifts things. I notice that I rarely buy those types of condiments, sauces, things in jars these days.

OH and I walked into the city (my second 11 km walk this week) and got lost in a Boffins Book store which had Dr M’s guts book available for $29.99. I read a bit of it but decided my ‘10% Human’ book on guts was more comprehensive. This one’s quite basic from what I could ascertain. However, I did have to smile when I read in print Dr M. debunking the long held, ‘calories in/calories out’ myth. I remember writing last year that I’d been reading how one person could glean more calories from a certain nutrient than the next person depending on their gut microbiota – and getting well and truly put in my place by another poster for saying so! Anyway, we must look after our gut microbes.

I always think of Bay when guts come up – are you still out there Bayleafoz? Long time, no post.

Cinque, I hope you’re feeling good today and able to breathe deeply. I have been noticing some difficulty breathing as well as usual when I lie on my left side at night. I’m ignoring it.

LJ, how nice that you felt you should eat in case you felt hungry later. That’s a nice place to be on a FD. Yesterday, I managed to have a restaurant meal out for lunch without any damage. My Wednesday fast lasted until about 1pm on Thursday and then I didn’t have any dinner. All good on the scales today.

Redmoon, I hope you’re home safe and sound and without too much roadhouse style food on board!

Hi All,

Thin, my Wednesday fast went splendidly! …One of my best! Not sure why since I thought it would be more difficult after indulging in Adriano Zumbo’s Raspberry V8 the day before! From a comment on a previous page that you made, I want to add that when I start to venture down below my goal weight envelope, meaning when I venture into the 55 kg range, I start to get very hungry which is often accompanied by a lack of stamina and poorer than usual stress response. It is this set of symptoms that alerts me to know that 56.0 is pretty much my bottom line healthy weight. I’ve noted in my journal that each time I drift lower, I just don’t feel as well. You’d mentioned about feeling extra hungry while sitting at 60 kg. which, if I remember correctly is the lowest end of your ‘wiggle room’ so may be same or similar to what I’ve experienced?

Along these lines also add that the Inbody 770 body composition report recommended that I actually gain weight! It advised that I would be best to weigh 59 kg, though only if I gain weight in the form of muscle mass and at the same time shed fat kg. Knowing this makes me underscores that numbers on the scale alone can be deceiving. As far as me gaining muscle mass, probably won’t happen since I’ve yet to be able to exercise to the extent that would make this possible, due still to being in recovery mode with adrenal insufficiency.

One more story I hope I haven’t already shared (if I have, you can skip over this one!)

A fellow classmate commenced a 6 week on a meal replacement shake program. Prior to starting, her dietician scanned her body using the Inbody scanner. At the end of the 6 week program my fellow classmate jumped for joy at having shed so many kilos in such a short time. She shed 8 kg in 6 weeks and reached her goal weight! I was happy for my classmate knowing that she worked hard by cutting out all sweets and ate only plant based home made meals and visited the gym daily for vigorous workouts for the duration of the 6 weeks. However, all her joy ended when she returned to see the dietician soon after the end of those 6 weeks. This is because the dietician again scanned her body using the Inbody scanner and the resulting report revealed that my classmate had lost far more muscle than fat including a sharp increase in visceral fat! In effect the report showed that her total fat percentage was higher and lean muscle mass lower than before she started on the meal replacement program. Her dietician was shocked at the results as much as my classmate, since prior to this, theoretically at least the dietician hadn’t seen any reason to caution her client as why not to follow the program. In any case, my classmate no longer celebrated her weight loss. She now realized that the numbers on her bathroom scale could be misleading in that they didn’t accurately reflect whether her state of health was increasing or decreasing and that just because she lost weight didn’t mean she was losing fat. Note that the dietician didn’t put my classmate on the meal replacement program, it was something that my classmate was ‘sold on’ via a friend who was into this MLM company that sold the meal replacement shakes. The dietician had heard of these shakes and wanted to support her client and was there to help measure results and effectiveness.

relle c. I had to visit the emergency room several weeks ago and was kept in overnight for testing. Mine incident was due to difficult breathing, chest pain and tightness. Turns out my predicament was due to severe inflammation of the lining of my lungs due to chemical exposure. I’m chemically sensitive and encountered a ‘perfect storm’ which pushed me over the edge, so to speak. The lack of sleep during my hospital stay and stress of it all was worse than the episode itself and sapped my energy to the point of requiring me to forego some days of fasting, which more me were necessary. However, as soon as my energy was up to fasting again, which was about a week later, I was back into it. I support you in following your body and always returning here to remain inspired if you find your body needs to take a break. Returning to read these posts makes all the difference for me. I’m coming up to my 1 year 5:2 fasting anniversary soon and I wouldn’t have made it this far were it not for this group!

Good morning, still no sign of Merry’s post!

Relle, how are you feeling today? Improving I hope.

Minka what a fright for you too. So glad you are feeling better.

Thin, that is interesting about the Guts book. I think my sister is buying it for me, but she actually owns the 10% human one, which I think I would prefer. She will lend it to me when she has finished.

My cooking went well yesterday (Shrewsbury stew is delicious!) and I am breathing well whenever I think of it (and I do notice I am not breathing well!). I try to take 20 deep slow breaths, abdominal breathing, morning and night, but oh dear I lose track! I think it is helping me sleep better though, and that is a huge win!

And now it is Saturday fast Day! Cheers anyone else who is fasting today, and those of you who are practicing good non fast days!

Good morning all, lovely sunny day after dreary skies yesterday,

First time I’ve had a post disappear – will contact JJ and see if it can be resurrected. I think it must have disappeared after I edited it.. it was in response to Rellie and just outlined my experience of an incident during my weight loss phase, though mine was determined to be blood pressure related.

One of the challenges for some of us on 5:2, or any weight loss method really, is that we are older, and have significant health and medical issues that need to be monitored a bit more closely by both ourselves and medicos as the weight normalises.

I have recently had to sort out a bit of a health challenge and am so glad that my weight is now normal. It has made a significant difference to be looking towards my “older” and “elderly” years at a normal weight. Given that my health is compromised by ME/CFS, being a normal weight gives me the best chance at doing the years ahead as well as possible. Like Cinque, I started 5:2 with great trepidation, knowing that if it wasn’t compatible with ME/CFS then I was in for months and possibly a year or 2 of recovery. But, thank God and thank goodness, I had no repercussions at all for my ME/CFS symptoms. In fact, it worked even better than that because even with no exercise, that’s NO exercise(yes I’m still amazed by that) 5:2 still got the excess weight off me.

Cinque and Minka and I have all walked this journey of being scared when we started 5:2, but with great hope , and now all 3 of us are at a normal weight and living in a better place. Like Minka, I owe so much to the encouragement, knowledge of past andvpresent members of this group, and so b……. grateful!
    Merry

Cheers & congratulations to the three of you, Merry, Minka & Cinque! Wonder women.

Hi SHs

Minka, thanks for that story and the info of your own search for the right goal weight. I have felt for a while that our bodies will tell us whether the weight we are is healthy for us – but it can be difficult to let go of that dream weight that’s been dangling there just out of reach. I absolutely agree that the number on the scale is never the whole story.
    I’ve looked up the Morlife Site – their prices have gone up from the last time you purchased, but they are having a 30% EOFY sale at the moment, so it makes it more affordable. I’m thinking I’ll start with a 1kg pack as I was planning to use 1tblsp per day, so it should last me a while. What do you mix yours into to take it, and do you spread the quantity across the day or take it all at once?

Thin, I agree that sticking with 5:2 would have been so much harder without the online support and example from those who already made that weight loss journey. It really is much appreciated.

Relle, hope you are feeling a bit better.

Cinque, hope your lung function is getting better. I have frequent lung infections (side effect of the immune suppressant treatment) and it always amazes me how often I have to remind myself to breathe deeply – we just assume that breathing is something we should be able to do without thinking about it.

I’m feeling a bit better about my NFD food choices. I’ve talked myself out of every discretionary food over the last few days and stuck to the basics. I’m back to using fresh fruit as snacks which is pleasing. I just need to keep it up for a while so I can break that cycle that has be looking for “something extra” on NFDs. The trouble is, the more often I give into that temptation the more normal it feels. Letting foods that should be occasional become everyday items is really bad news for me. I’m think I’m always going to have to be mindful of this.

I’m on another NFD today. My new week starts Sunday and I want to do a FD sometime from Sun-Tues (yet another Wednesday lunch to go to). It still feels odd to go into a week knowing I have so much choice about where to put the FDs. I know this will start to feel normal eventually, but at the moment it still feels like a novelty.

Have a good weekend everyone.

I’ve had a clear reminder of how normal it is for me to either have a between meal snack or to just graze all afternoon.
    I’m taking antibiotics for a lung infection at the moment, that have to be taken at least 2 hours after eating and also at least 30 minutes before eating. This means I have to have at least 2 1/2 hours between food (even small snacks). The tablet I take in the morning is easy as I haven’t eaten overnight and I don’t eat breakfast. But it’s become very apparent to me that I rarely have 2 1/2 hours between eating something through the afternoon. I always have afternoon tea, even if it’s just a piece of fruit or a hot milk drink, and often I snack on a range of foods like fresh and dried fruits, nuts and fibre crackers through the afternoon.
    I might need to try eating a little more for lunch and see whether it helps me eat less often through the afternoons. Perhaps I can start by having a piece of fresh fruit as dessert with lunch instead of saving it for later. Hopefully the worst that can happen is that I end up having 2 pieces of fruit – one with lunch and another mid-afternoon. If that fails I may try having my main meal for lunch and moving the soup & toast to dinner time. I think the reason that I always resist going down this path is that I fear eating a lot of calories at lunch time and not having enough left to deal with my appetite through the afternoon & evening.
    I will start to experiment with my options starting tomorrow I think.

Whinge alert!

Interesting stories Minka. Yes, Merry, JJ can restore your post if you just tell her the approximate time.

Thanks for your kind comments LJ. It works both ways though. I definitely reap plenty from these pages. Had I not stuck around, I doubt I’d have found a statistician willing to analyse my daily intake in such detail 😆 Not to mention all the lovely cyber friends I’ve made, several of whom have since become ‘real’ friends. How cool is that?

As for your second post, it’s hard to break old habits sometimes. I grew up eating ‘dinner’ at lunch time but haven’t practiced this for decades. I find it easier to reconcile having calories in the bank. This is particularly true on a FD where I fear expending my cache before the day is done. I can deal with a bit of hunger knowing there’s something else to come rather than knowing that I’ve run out. I’m trying to carry this over to NFDs too. When I wake up, I don’t ever feel like food so could never follow the ‘breakfast like a king’ mantra. Apart from anything else, I feel I haven’t yet ‘done’ anything to deserve any intake. A late breakfast usually keeps me going until dinner which we eat early. I’m not sure when I stopped snacking after dinner, it just happened. These changes I attribute to 5:2.

My husband eats by the clock. We enjoyed a substantial cooked meal out for lunch the other day as mentioned (larger portions than we would normally have for dinner). Yet at ‘dinner time’, while admitting he was still full, he said he’d like a small dinner with DD. I could see that he wasn’t really interested in it; it’s just a ritual. So, there ends my ramble, be glad you only have to cater for YOU! And good luck with working it out.

Hi all.
    My stomach has been in knots all day. My brother was involved in a fatal car accident last night. His car was hit head on by a car that crossed the highway after being hit from behind. He’s badly injured and has a long road of recovery and rehabilitation ahead. The police crash investigation team said if it wasnt for the bull and roll bars he fitted to his car he wouldn’t be with us now.
    Feeling sick about it all and am so thankful he survived.
    You never know what life is going to throw at you next do you. Will catch up on posts over my morning coffee tomorrow. Hope all is going well for everyone.

So sorry to read your post GDSA. Are you living nearby or are you having to worry from a great distance? You really are having the worst year possible. Wishing your brother all the best for a full recovery. Take care.

GDSA, so sorry to hear your news. Thinking of you, and hoping you brother’s recovery goes without a hitch.

Gday, my heartfelt good wishes to you and to your poor brother. Can’t the world change in an instant. He is so unlucky, and so lucky!

It is hard to change the subject after such news, but I will just say that I had a good fast day yesterday, I am going to my daughter’s today to help her do a big batch of cooking for the week.

My deep slow breathing is helping!
    LJoyce I hope your lung infection is clearing up.

Best wishes everyone for a gentle, healing day.

Skipping ahead here to write before I head out for a walk on the beach…

OH, GDSA how awful! What a tragedy for all involved and your poor brother. Sending healing energy in your direction and you take care during this difficult time. You’ve been through so much and you are so right about all of us being aware of how the simply living of life can throw us the unexpected.

Thank you Merry and Thin for the acknowledgements with my pursuit of 5:2 despite my adrenal fatigue health issues. As Merry pointed out in her post, yes, I too was afraid I’d do more damage than good practicing any form of intermittent fasting. If it weren’t for Merry and Cinque who I originally found on the 5:2 Chronic Fatigue page, I might not have even experimented on my own. It was your experiences, Merry and Cinque that made all the difference for me and allowed me to question other ‘experts’ who were advising me against 5:2 at the time.

LJ, When I just now went onto the link I posted to actually place an order myself for more inulin powder, I still see the 1 x kg Morelife bags for $29.95.

Given you mentioned the kg bag you ordered costing more than that, LJ, I’m wondering if you meant that you are buying your Morelife inulin directly from the Morelife company website? Granted, buying from the company who actually makes the products guarantees you aren’t getting a cheap substitute labelled ‘Morelife’ when really it is not. In this world it isn’t far fetched to know this type of thing takes place.

Since I’ve been happy with the inulin powder I’ve purchased from ‘The Natural City’ at the #29 per kg compared to the $62 per kg that Morelife charge for their own product on their own website, I’ll continue to order from them. Just a note that ‘The Natural City’ isn’t just an online business. They do have a physical retail shop in Brisbane and I’ve phoned them before, as I’ve mentioned and have been happy with their customer service.

How I started on the inulin powder, LJ, was to start with 5 grams, hold for a week or until you feel your body has adjusted to that single 5 gram teaspoon. Then add in a second 5 gram teaspoon. I found that when I added in the second teaspoon I took the second dose at a second time of day. So, I take one dose in the morning and a second dose in the late afternoon or early evening. My digestive tract has adapted to this routine and when I’ve varied this, I find the experience isn’t as harmonious and a bit ‘windier’! I’m sure I could slowly change my pattern to taking the inulin 3 x a day and that might be even more helpful in the long run, in that the supply of food for good bacteria is spread out more evenly through the dya. However, it is currently more convenient for me to take inulin powder via 2 x doses per day. I might have said that I’ve worked myself up to 30 grams over many weeks and I take this as 15 grams morning and 15 grams late afternoon or early evening. I started out simply taking my inulin by measuring a teaspoon. I did the same with the second teaspoon. When I increased above that I started weighing the inulin powder and continue to do so since the inulin powder sticks to the inside of the teaspoon and the more teaspoons the more residue collects and I felt my spoon measurements were inaccurate. The powder is very fluffy and the weight/volume ratio can vary greatly I’ve found. In other words it compresses easily and I find larger amounts are just too difficult to measure without a scale.

I take my inulin mixed with different foods or liquids. Inulin powder doesn’t add much flavor to anything. Mixed in I only detect a slight subtle bit of sweetness and sometimes not even that. The powder can take time to mix since it starts out a bit lumpy and I feel my digestion is happiest when I actually take the time to stir the inulin lumps to dissolve them as much as possible in the mixture. Other foods I stir my inulin into are: yogurt, cottage cheese, whey protein concentrate powder/water, molasses/water, juice, almond milk, coconut milk. I’m pretty sure it could be stirred into porridge or even hot drinks.

Flatulence: Why I started with 1 teaspoon is because taking more can cause flatulence and discomfort and not everyone can even take inulin powder. I’ve downloaded the Monash University FODMAP app because Mr. M. now follows the FODMAP diet at the recommendation of a dietician. Inulin powder is on the banned list for those on FODMAP diets, so even I proceeded with caution when starting on it. However, that said, any flatulence I’ve experienced was tolerable and never embarrassing and resolved itself! I’m inclined to think that my particular flatulence may have resulted because inulin powder feeds the good bacteria and as these good guys rise up and grow in numbers, a war breaks out between the good and bad bacteria and until the good bacteria prevail and the die off of bad guys is completely eliminated, we experience extra wind! Each time I raised my dose, I went through a few days or so of extra wind which I feel might have abated, as I said, because the casualties were finally flushed out and disposed of. …Well, at least this is how I’ve pictured it!

By the way, enjoyed another worthwhile fast day yesterday (Saturday) judging by how well I feel today; svelt!

Okay, I wrote another ‘essay’ here! Time to go for that beach walk!

Hi all,

Minka – thanks for the inulin info. You are right I did go to the Morlife page where their base price is so much higher. I have now found the Natural City page that you mentioned. Luckily I hadn’t placed the order on Morlife yet, I was planning to do that tonight. I’m pleased to hear I can put it into hot drinks as that will probably suit me best. Currently I have 1-2 cups of hot almond milk per day that I flavour with either cocoa or “natures cuppa” (made from chickory-a source of inulin!). I think something like inulin that adds a slight sweetness would be fine in that. In the hot weather I can add it to iced tea.
    I’ve been doing a bit of reading and found out that I already consume some of the food sources of inulin every day. But I strongly suspect I don’t have enough.
    I have a history of IBS and have found that changes to my diet can cause unpleasant side effects. When I started increasing my legume consumption I also noticed an increase in gas and colic pain, but within 3 weeks this stopped happening. I think with any change I need to be realistic and give my body time to adapt. I like your idea of starting with a teaspoon and building up slowly.
    I worry about the survival of my gut flora because I repeatedly have to take antibiotics (I have at least one course every 8 weeks). It means those poor good bacteria have to keep trying to rebuild their numbers after being killed off.

I did mention that I needed to choose a FD. Well, it won’t be today. I went out to brunch with family this morning and had vegemite toast with my usual pot of tea (everyone else had either pancakes or eggs benedict, but I was very happy with my toast). I’m thinking tomorrow might be a good FD as I’ll be busy and out of the house for most of the afternoon.

Have a nice Sunday.

Hi everyone,
    I’m slowly getting back to normal. I have found it hard to get my head around reading without causing a headache but have managed to read all your posts for the last couple of days.
    Thank you for all your concern and advice. There seems to be a wealth of experience and knowledge between you.

Even after only 2 fast days and week of being unwell I have realised how much I was overeating. I have had what I considered a healthy diet for many years but my portions have been way too big. I was brought up to eat everything on my plate and not let good food go to waste. I am now trying to teach my husband that I don’t need vast quantities of food to survive. I’m trying not to sound ungrateful, he has been looking after me and cooking our meals.

I am also interested in gut health and the microbiome, I researched the 5:2 diet after watching the episode of Insight about Gut Health with Dr Michael Mosley. I had also watched him on Trust me I’m a Doctor and thought he seemed to know what he was on about. There is so much conflicting advice out there, but this diet made sense to me. I tried Paleo for 4 months and ended up feeling worse and not losing any weight.

GDSA what a shock for you and your family. I hope your brother is on the mend and receiving the care he needs.

Wishing everyone a good Sunday afternoon.

Hello Everyone,

Relle, so good to hear from you, and that you are slowly getting back to normal (whatever that is 😉 ).
    I am another one who had to work hard to rejig portion sizes. Like you I find it hard to hear my body tell me it has had enough (I think every bit of me is confused!).
    In spite of all the huge serves at restaurants, and on ads etc I did realise that I have a fairly good picture in my mind of what a fair portion looks like, and I do best when I plan it well ahead in my mind. I don’t skimp because I want to be satisfied and not need to snack, but I have found that a normal portion is satisfying, and a lot smaller than what I used to help myself to!

I agree that Dr Mosley knows what he is talking about. It is a good thing that he presents things in a very ‘user friendly’ way and makes concepts simple and clear. Sometimes though I want something more academic to get my teeth into! Luckily I can have both!

Minka I do hope you had a great walk on the beach! And that the last assignment is just about done!
    Good luck with the inulin LJoyce.

Had a good session with my daughter and grandkids. We both have a good stack of food now!

Time for an afternoon rest. Best wishes all, especially to you Gday.

Cinque, I hope your back is feeling better. I really liked your strategy for ensuring nothing in the freezer is forgotten about. I just need to defrost ours a bit more often and when I do, I’m adopting your methods! …I fasted with you yesterday (Saturday). You usually fast on Sundays? So this was a ‘one-off’? I usually fast on Saturdays. Wasn’t always the way, though I’ve fasted so many Saturdays, my body just seems to go that way, like a horse that knows its way home, once Saturday arrives!

LJ, when I worked in a health food shop, we used to sell a type of probiotic created especially to take when on antibiotics, to help maintain and even replenish flora while taking them. Below is a link that briefly explains this, though you have to scroll through all the ‘features’ to find the sentence in the blurb which explains this. I originally learned of this from the Herbs of Gold rep who used visit when I was working at the health food shop.

https://www.herbsofgold.com.au/products/product/1727

I’m pretty sure I’ve seen the above at Chemist Warehouse and selling at a discount compared to elsewhere. …Just a thought, since you are required to repeat courses of antibiotics. …Happy FD for tomorrow.

Morning everyone.

In a rush, so I’ll be brief for once.

Minka, thankyou so much for the advice. I have taken probiotics after finishing antibiotics before, I just always wondered whether they really were effective or just a marketing ploy. I don’t think I used the brand you mentioned though. I’ll take a look.

Yesterday was a NFD and I did something I’d been talking about – I moved my main meal to lunch time and soup & toast to dinner. I didn’t feel hungry through the afternoon and ended up eating dinner later than usual. I’ll try this on a few more NFDs to see if this is my best solution to the afternoon munchies.

Today is a FD and a busy day for me. I’m heading off to some medical appointments shortly. I have a stir fry of veg, cashews & konjac noodles planned for dinner – this comes together very quickly and doesn’t require me to thaw meat (which I won’t be here to do).

Have a good day.

Good morning!
    I am recovering from the bad sort of stuff up that comes from impulse buying Coles croissants. Not only tasted horrible but gave me a sugar reaction. Because of my Saturday fast, I’ve got extra days between fasts. I considered a reset fast day, but I am doggedly working on eating well with spaces between meals and I think I am just about back to normal (she says hopefully at 9 am in the morning 😉 )
    Cheers to all of you!
    How is your week going?

Hello Everyone,

Yes it’s been a while I know. I’ve been vaguely stalking but also busy with life.
    I’m still going with 5:2, I’ve hit the magic 10kg down, and also surpassed the 10% of my body weight down.
    I’m trying not to say lost weight you might notice, I have done a bit of Think Slim hypnosis and the guy (his name escapes me for now -Australian) says to think about it differently, if you lose something you’ll want to find it again, to think of it as gaining slimness. I thought this was quite a good way to think about it. I know when I’ve lost weight in the past I’ve always found it again eventually, and sometimes right away.

So I’m struggling a bit with something at the moment. My first IVF cycle failed, and so I’ve been seeing a natural health practitioner to make the second one a success, I need to see him to get acupuncture in my town. First off he starts talking about this “zonal diet” I think he means The Zone Diet, and I thought oh okay you’ve found what works for you, but I’ve already found what works for me and that’s 5:2. 5:2 is what I’m doing for life until something better comes along, and The Zone Diet seems worse to me. So after a few weeks and making me pay for a booklet he’d made on his computer and handed to me with nothing about a cost for the “zonal diet”, he asks me how the diet’s going, so I just said I’m trying to get my head around it. Then he resorted to what I can only describe as emotional blackmail, saying well I don’t know how much further we can go with this treatment if you’re not following the treatment I’ve prescribed. I’d already taken all his supplements for a supposed jaw infection, dysbiosis, candidiasis (really? I learnt only chemo patients get that), and parasitosis. So I guess I’m going onto the Zone Diet. Anyone else done this? Did it work? I think I’m still going to do the 2 fasting days though, no one’s gonna take those away from me. It seems a bit wishywashy to me, while 5:2 has a defined maintenance phase (cut back to 1 FD a week), ZD says try this and if this doesn’t work maybe this will work instead.

He’s also tested my watch and Fitbit to see if they’re draining my energy, apparently my Fitbit is. He said I realise how important it is to you, but if it were me I wouldn’t wear it. Hey I didn’t ask you to do that, or even want you to, and frankly you’re sapping my energy a bit at the moment.

I just don’t see how anything called a diet is going to work, when only a change in lifestyle works longterm, but I guess I have to do it if only to humour him and to get my acupuncture. I’m going to start next week, any advice?

Jody

Cinque, having four NFDs in a row can test your resolve. Did your neighbours enjoy the other two croissants? Now that our Coles have finally given up pushing hot x buns, the 3-packs of croissants are a permanent feature by the entrance. When I see these products, the cynic in me says, “you’re trying to influence my buying habits, I’ll resist even harder”.

Relle, we recently had this discussion about wastefulness and many of us were raised not to waste food. Portion control seems to develop naturally with adherence to 5:2 and we learn that we require less food as we age (and of course as we lose weight). I still can’t deal with waste of any kind, not just food but this ‘throw away’ age irks me no end. In particular, the need in people to follow like sheep ‘upgrading’ mobile phones every few months. In April, Optus rendered my perfectly working iPhone3 obsolete on their network forcing me to upgrade. I know this will probably make most people laugh but I’d had no intention of ‘upgrading’ that phone until it died. Anyway, I digress. Are you back fasting now?

Cinque, I soaked my mung beans on Sunday noting that they didn’t change size all day. By Monday morning though, they were about three times the size. I made your African soup recipe. I found it a very good texture and I did need all four chilli peppers to give it some zing. The lime juice is a great addition.

P.S. Hi Jody, welcome back. I can’t help at all with what you ask as I don’t have any knowledge of it whatsoever. But from reading your post objectively, it is clearly upsetting you, you’re not embracing the ‘diet’, you don’t seem to trust the practitioner and so my advice would be to steer well clear of that person altogether. If there was any merit in acupuncture, you surely wouldn’t needn’t to go through that other programme first.

JodyW, I get the impression that this healer’s approach is overreach and is making you uncomfortable. That’s never a good combination with someone you need to be able to trust. I know you said that you went to him as he is in your town. But, you may want to consider looking further afield and driving to a neighboring town to find someone you feel more comfortable with. Ask around to see if anyone you know has recommendations.

I’ve just eaten my way through 3 slices of buttered fruit loaf. Not at all what I should be eating. I missed lunch as I went to the funeral of a friend’s husband, who died unexpectedly last week. I just couldn’t be bothered putting together a proper lunch when I got home. My only compromise to common sense, was to buy a fruit loaf that doesn’t have added sugar and is 100% wholemeal – but frankly I think that’s kidding myself that this is in any way a healthy late lunch. I think it had a lot to do with a need for something sweet to lift my mood. Thankfully dinner just needs reheating so I have no excuses.

Hello at the end of a busy day.
    Ha Thin. My brain put the croissants in the freezer and tagged them to give to my daughter, and then the sugar loving colony of bugs in my gut took over and I heated up and ate one. And a little bit later the other one.
    Sigh.
    But back on track today!
    And at least I know I won’t be tempted by them again. Not very nice croissants!

I am glad the mung bean soup worked. They do take ages to hydrate!

Jody, I had to look up the Zone diet. Interesting. I thought this was a good overview: http://www.webmd.com/diet/a-z/zone-what-it-is . Is it? No good science supporting it, but doesn’t look harmful: just a lot of hassle and not meshing well for fast days.
    If you want to keep the acupuncture going, maybe do the Zonal stuff a couple of times so you can lie convincingly to him that you are doing it. I mean, really it should be you deciding what you do and don’t do. But if he is too arrogant to understand that, then bullshit is warranted!
    Your little IVF bub will be impressed by your sassiness!

LJoyce, I hope the fruit loaf was more delicious than my croissants, and that you can recover from it easily.

Making a yummy dinner now. Food. mostly plants. Not too much!

Cheers all.

Hi!

Happy 5:2 Anniversary to me! It’s my first! As I looked at my diary this morning to mark that today will be a FD I saw that I’d written ‘Happy Fast Day Birthday’ to myself! What better way to celebrate the date, than by fasting on my anniversary/birthday?! As I’ve said before, I know myself well enough that if this group weren’t here, I know I wouldn’t have made it this far.

I admire you JodieW, that you’ve been fasting along behind the scenes! When I stray from this forum, so does my commitment to 5:2, so well done for continuing on solo! With regard to your healer, I’ve been to ‘healers’ who have done the same to me and usually I end up feeling worse for following their advice because it goes against the grain of what I know deep down what is right or that I need to do for me. I support you in trusting and following your deepest voice within, even if it is small in comparison to the ‘healers’ instructions.

Cinque, you asked about school assignments and I’m thrilled to report that I did finish my final assignment for the term last week and now am on school holidays until middle of July when I’ll return for the last term in the Diploma course! Hey, hot croissants are a weakness of mine and I can think of nothing more heavenly to eat except, not sure Coles brand would ever reach that taste sensation, even if heated! I’d be tempted too, if someone made a gluten free variety! I’m sure glad that doesn’t appear to be possible!

Cheers to all other Wednesday fasters this week and all the best for enjoyable and mindful eating to the non-fasters today.

Happy First 5:2 Birthday Minka!
    https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/e5/10/37/e51037b56915cd50ec4591c3d2538a5f.gif

Congratulations on well deserved holidays too! You will be on the final run next term!

I’m thinking of you Intesha. How are you going?

best wishes to everyone else too from cold grey Melbourne!

I knew there was someone else I wanted to send good wishes to (blame my blimp brain).
    Gday the good wishes are for you. I am really hoping no news is good news and that your brother is doing well.

Hi Fasters I was wondering if I could get some advise from some over 50s women who have successfully fasted down to their ideal weight as my problem might be hormonal or an age problem. I started fasting alternative day fasting methods in 2016 and I found myself too hungry and since then I’ve gone 16:8 and that seems to be much easier as I don’t start eating until noon and finish by 7/7:30 . I eat a lunch then an afternoon snack then dinner and I’m satisfied I don’t go to bed hungry and I’m a high carb vegan which means I eat a lot of veggies and veggie based patties soups sauces etc . But my weight hovers around the 90 kg mark I’m 5 ft 7 and I look my best at 67/72kg mark .

I don’t eat huge meals but I do love bread and have been thinking about cutting out bread from my lunch as I usually make a chickpea and salad sandwich , I eat very much in tune with Happy Healthy Vegan couple in you tube only I do not eat the large fruit smoothies and I don’t eat desserts , I also like High Carb Hannah’s recipes who lost around 40 kg doing high carb . High carb is well researched diet and it does work and I believe as humans we have centuries of examples to prove that’s how our ancestors ate , grains and veggies.

Hi Alitalia,

OK Im 50% of what you asked for, Im over 50 but Im a male. 5’10” 70kg BMI = 22 but I used to be 92kg two and a half years ago. been in maintenance for 1 1/2 years now. My simple take is this. Ask yourself a basic question. Is what youre doing working for you? If its yes then no problems keep doing more of the same. If no, then change it!! You want to be 67 kg and your 90kg so Id say what you are doing isn’t working for you. Sorry for being so blunt. People make this erroneous connection that vegan = good health. It might be true but in many cases its not. I could be living off sugar and alcohol and be classified as a vegan. Would my diet be healthy?

Im assuming you want to stay vegan? You say you eat a lot of veggie patties and soups, do you make them yourself or buy them premade? If you buy them read the labels carefully. Better still start making the food yourself from raw ingredients, that way you know what goes into the food.

Don’t eat bread or any grain based products. Its nutritional merits have been WAY over sold. Personally I don’t think grains are healthy for you. But that’s just me. Do you honestly believe that your ancestors ate bread as it is made now? Part of the processing to make flour is that the bran is removed from the process as it plays havoc with the processing machinery. For breads with “high bran” content this is then artificially added in at the end of the process. Do you really think its the same result? If Im baking a cake and put all the ingredients into a bowl and I do not mix the ingredients at all and put the bowl into the oven, do you think the cake will turn out well? Same concept as what is being done with modern breads. End result is nutritional junk.

Eat mostly cruciferous veggies, avoid starchy veggies like potatoes or sweet potatoes. Where do you get your protein and fats from? Eat lots of nuts, legumes, beans, avocadoes, tofu. Avoid all fruit juice. Eat whole fruits and go for your berry fruits or tart fruits like granny smith apples.

You say the high carb diet is well researched and works well. Does it work well for you? Im trying to be very pragmatic here. If its not working for you then change it. Good luck with it.

Thanks for your reply that was quick , thanks. Everything I eat is home made , my chick pea patties are made with potato and chick pea , my soups are from scratch and I use a heap of herbs for flavour . I’ve been going over my food diary and do mimic Happy Healthy Vegan recipes on you tube , but I’ve noticed a hunger point at around 5pm when I’m preparing my evening meal as I like to eat around 6 pm , so I’ve noticed on some days I’ve reached for vegan crackers with Home made oil free dips , so I have a feeling the bread ( vegan ) Ezekiel bread and the brown rice cakes are what’s bringing my calorie count up too high. I’m glad I have been recording my intake ( not always) because you can look back and see what’s upping your in take. Thanks for input it’s very much appreciated.

Hi Alitalia,
    Welcome here!
    I am SO over 50 that I have just turned 60! I have been at the lower end of my healthy weight range since last November.
    I’m just coming up to two years of 5:2, and a couple of years before I started 5:2 I cut out sugar.
    I became a vegetarian when I was 14 and although I now eat some meat, my diet has lots of vegetarian/vegan meals.

The first thing that came to mind reading your post is that being hungry is really the point of fasting. Some people seem to have less of it (hunger pains), and many of us have intolerable hunger if we eat the sugar or carbs that set it off.
    I need to keep off high and medium sugar foods, even fruit, (they set off the munchies, among other things) but even so I am very hungry most fast day afternoons. I have learnt to roll with this and get very excited by the fact that I can eat the next day!

It is a good idea to try cutting out bread and seeing how it goes. Try smaller portions. Maybe try avoiding the snack in your 8 hour window.

Quite a few people do 5:2 and 16:8 at the same time, so maybe that is something you can work toward. ie twice a week keep under 500 calories for the day. You could start at 800 calories and then see if you can work down to 500 calories on one or both fast days.

Good luck! Do let us know what you try and how it goes!

Thanks everyone for your advice, I knew I’d get some great advice here. I especially love Cinque’s advice. I figure I can do Zone Diet until I get pregnant, and then I can’t possibly diet anyway. Still wearing my Fitbit. I had to do his bowel purge twice because it didn’t work, I told him it’s not a good time because I didn’t have a clear day off, I ended up eating before completion which is a big no-no. It had been 8 hours of nothing happening so I gave up. Then it worked that time, so I don’t think that was a big deal in the end. I do feel a lot better for it, I had had intermittent bad diarrhoea since the second lot of antibiotics for my wisdom teeth/dry socket debacle, and that’s gone now. He said he had to test me for things that will block the acupuncture, and treat those first, at least he’s started the acupuncture now. The neighbouring town isn’t really an option, it takes three hours to drive there on bad roads, there are smaller towns but they have nothing much going on. He is the only one in town I can see after work, and he does Chinese Medicine and acupuncture. I think I’ll just have to grin and bear it, knowing that I’m doing the best I can for my IVF cycle. I’ve told him I’ll start Zone next week, I didn’t want to stop and start. I was visiting my mother last week and she’s a feeder, probably because I had to see a paediatrician when I was a child because I was very underweight, so there was no way last week.

Alitalia I think it was, my mother lost a lot of weight on Weightwatchers in her late 60s, she weighed less than me for the first time in my life. 5:2 has worked really well for my brother and his wife, they are looking a lot slimmer, they’re in their 40’s now, but I think it’s still kind of relevant, as I’ve found once I got to 35 it was nearly impossible to lose weight, and once I became pregnant (ectopic) for the first time at 38 the weight just started piling on. I still got cravings but there was no baby to walk or breastfeed to get the weight off. Looking at my Fitbit scales graph it is so clear that’s where my biggest weight problem started. But since I started 5:2 there is just a steady downward progression in my weight. I haven’t really noticed hunger, I try and spread it out, so I skip breakfast, have a small lunch and then dinner, and I’ve got some 100 cal snacks ready to go if I find I need something between meals.

Good morning (late morning) all, it’s been a busy week an not stopping as it is end of financial year (sigh) I want to thank everyone especially Cinque, Thinatlast & LJoyce for the fantastic advice and encouragement on this journey ( although I’ve only been on it a short while) you are all a wealth of knowledge. GDaySA I’m sorry to hear about your brother and sending cyber well wishes for a speedy recovery. Alitalia356 these are the best people to ask as they are the success stories, Cinque, Thinatlast, Minka (I hope I’m not aging you) LJoyce & GDayfromSA.Happy anniversary/ birthday Minka awesome achievement Witt both 5:2 & study 👍🌹🎂 Good luck Jody with IVF and I agree with LJoyce regarding your acupuncturist you need to be comfortable with the treatment for it to work. I didn’t do so well on our quick trip but didn’t gain so that’s a+. I’m back on track however have family visiting from Qld so need to be careful with calories (alcohol) as this is usually the only time I have alcohol when I Have visitors. Hope everyone is enjoying their day, I actually have some sun yay even though I think it’s only 11 here.

@Alitalia. OK you’ve answered your own questions. So cut out the bread and replace it with more fibrous foods. Where do you get your fat intake from? Fat is a very satiating macro nutrient and is essential for life. Of all the macro nutrients carbs is the only one not essential for life. You can still source fats from plant based foods. I eat nuts, cheese, olive oil every day. Have never counted calories. Don’t be scared of fats.

Hunger comes in waves. Ghrelin release is a learnt response and peaks just before your nominated/self imposed eating times. You have dinner at 6pm and your hungry at 5pm. That hunger is in response to your ghrelin production in anticipation to your meal at 6pm. Learn to work through that period. I water fast every Monday, have done it for 2 years now. I virtually get no hunger pangs on a Monday as my body has gotten used to the concept of no food on a Monday. It took six months before I noticed the change. So cut out the “bread” snacks and either replace it with something else or push through that 5pm period for a few months until you get used to the change.

Good luck with it.

Good afternoon everyone.

I’m back from a calorific Italian lunch with ex-work colleagues. The pesto gnocchi was delicious but a pretty heavy lunch. Thankfully I have a FD tomorrow.

Alitalia, I have used ezekial bread – because it uses sprouted grains, with plently of them left whole, I find it causes me no problems and has a good level of fibre, but some people are more sensitive to grains than I am and have to be more careful. The trick is to eat a little and not a lot – and that can be tough with bread.
    It might be worth reading the discussion on 16:8 https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/52-vs-1681410-who-has-tried-both/ I remember giving a lengthy discussion on that page. I am over 50 and have a low TDEE, so I follow both 5:2 and 16:8. The key difference is that 5:2 reduces my calories and allows me to lose weight. 16:8 does not restrict calories and on it’s own has no effect on my weight, it just helps me manage my tendency to eat too many calories in a day and it gives me the benefits of a fasting period every night.
    It would be worth looking at your TDEE and carefully checking a few of your days against it so that you know whether you are eating too many calories to lose weight. I find I get to my TDEE all too easily. I have to be careful with the calories I consume as mid-afternoon snacks as they can amount to the calories of a meal if I’m not careful. I usually try to limit myself to either one piece of fresh fruit mid-afternoon or a cup of hot unsweetened almond milk with either vanilla or cocoa added.
    There have been a few support groups for vegans/vegetarians on this forum, but I’m not sure if they are still active. Below are a few you many want to check out for useful info:
    https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/hello-vegan-52er/
    https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/any-plant-based-vegan-people-following-52/
    https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-fast-vegetarian/
    https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/beans-and-lentils-recipes-tips-and-information/
    https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/vegetarian-vegan-raw-recipe-exchange/
    https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/any-vegans-out-there/
    https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/veggie-police-recruit-training-and-52/
    https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/really-simple-ideas-for-100-cal-and-200-cal-vegetarian-meals/
    https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic-tag/vegetarian/
    There are probably a few more out there is addition to these.

Redmoonstar – well done surviving the road trip without weight gain.

Minka – happy anniversary.

Am I the only Wednesday faster – or are you joining me today LJ? (OK just saw your post and that would be a ‘no’!). Feeling a little hungry with 15 minutes to go until my first feeding of the day. I enjoy the rumbling sensation and remember why I’m doing this.

Redmoon, very pleased to hear that you’re home safe and sound with no damage on the scales. Well done! Have fun with the rellies.

Jody, good that you formed a plan from the advice offered. Good luck.

Congratulations Minka! That’s a great milestone and probably represents about 100 successful fasts. I know exactly where I was one year ago today too – observing five elephants and a crocodile at a waterhole in beautiful Mapungubwe. Today I have to be content with more mundane happenings.

Alitalia, welcome to our thread. I read your post earlier but wanted to think about it for a while. I’m well over 50 (61) and lost 23kgs at 58 which I’ve maintained for nearly two years. I was once a vegetarian but gave it up as I found it too hard when we moved to Australia (I know things are different now). I agree with bigbooty in that there’s no point continuing the same thing if it’s clearly not working for you.

I notice you say you started by trying ADF but were too hungry. This is a punishing regime by most people’s standards. Why not try naked 5:2? You only have to make a sacrifice on two days a week and the rest of the time, you can eat what you like (this doesn’t necessarily mean you should, but you can). In time, you’ll work out how to best manage your fast days and get used to them as ‘normal’. Most of us feel some hunger at least some of the time but, really, so what? Nothing in life comes without some effort. Hunger comes in waves and can be distracted with activity. I have learned to embrace it and feel content that my body is healing.

I’d also try to think of 5:2 as a way of life rather than a ‘diet’. I feel it’s best not to make too many changes all at once as you constantly feel deprived and risk setting yourself up for failure. How about mastering a few fast days as a start? You’re already halfway there as you don’t eat until lunch time anyway. I also agree that it’s worth cutting down on the carbs to evaluate the effect. We are all different but this has worked wonders for many of us here. You can always gradually re-introduce these foods once you’re at your goal weight.

I wouldn’t focus too much on what a couple on youtube are claiming! That might be fine for some people but we all have completely differently gut microbiota so the same regime cannot have the same effect on the next person. 5:2 is also new in the scheme of things and we don’t yet know whether we’ll be able to do this for life. We hope so. In the meantime, there are thousands of testimonials on these pages to show that it does work for weight loss. As the years pass, we can begin to prove that it works as a way of life. Give it a go!

Viewing 50 posts - 11,601 through 11,650 (of 28,011 total)

You must be logged in to reply.