Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,907 replies, has 831 voices, and was last updated by  thinatlast 3 days, 1 hour ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 10,951 through 11,000 (of 28,011 total)

• Good evening everyone,
    Nearing the end of my Monday FD. Didn’t do my usual Thursday FD last week, I started it then got a little worried about having to drive to Melbourne late on Thursday night as I had poor sleep the night before so went with some sugary drinks and travel food to make me feel better. Stupid roadworks and detours on the supposed fast toll road meant we didn’t arrive until midnight.
    I went to Melbourne to go to the Grand Prix with my son and had an awesome time. I would have made an effort to catch up with other fasters but I knew I would be pushed for time with my boy in tow and getting him home to my parents place each day for dinner and bed to be ready for the next day. You certainly do some miles at the Grand Prix getting to all the activities and you know young boys, they have to do everything. Along with going to an event for three days you indulge a bit so today’s FD has been a nice reset. My mum and dad did look after us with our dinner’s with whiting and shark fillets and calamari caught by my dad which we always look forward to as a treat.

Welcome newbies, I don’t count calories on non FD’s though I have changed my ways with minimizing snacking between meals and being OK with having food leftover instead of having another half serve so as not have to store it. It sounds logical but these are the silly habits you have to overcome.
    When starting out I would recommend keeping it simple for the first few weeks, plain old 5:2, keep your intake under 500cals on 2 days a week and that’s it until you get a handle on your nuances with this way of eating. It will help you get a system for your FD’s and after a bit you can tinker with different things if you don’t get results. The most important piece of advice I can offer is have patience, it took a while to put on weight, it will take a while to lose it. Good luck to all of you.

LJoyce, I asked for two chicken breasts at the deli a while back and when on the scales the server informed me they weighed 800grams I said to remove one, the remaining one came in at 420grams. It looked wrong when I was cutting it up that evening.
    Thinatlast, you should have had the Antique Roadshow doing a special at your place it sounds like $60,000 in clutter!! (Double exclamation for extra emphasis Ha Ha)

Meals for the day:
    2 x white coffee’s 300kj, 500g minestrone soup 800kj, 100g kidney beans in the soup 400kj Total 1500kj or 358cals.

Hi everyone,
    Sounds like you had a great time with your son Joffy, and the Thursday driving thing- that’s one of the absolute benefits of 5:2 – it doesn’t hurt if you have to change things occasionally. Your parents were great assisting with the seafood and fresh caught even better. It is wonderful as a parent seeing your adult childrenngetting healthier.

Check in : 62.5 after FD yesterday.

Sorry to be absent: managed to un click myself from the list, and extra busy- goid busy not bad busy, which is nice. Will read backwards soon.
    Get back on the horse,
    Onwards and downwards,
    Merry

Yes me again. Just bursting to tell someone so here i go….I put on a summer dress today that i never wore when i purchased it early last year as it was too tight and i couldnt bend over or sit down in it. I never tried it on before buying as it was on sale and too good a bargain to pass up (yep that’s me). Well it is now too big !! Even with the belt pulled to the smallest hole it looked too puffy and baggy around the waist. Wow what a great incentive for my fast day today….although my belly is growling at the mo.

Good to have you back Joffy. What a great trip you’ve had with your son. How ironic to be headed to the Grand Prix, zoom zoom, and stuck in roadworks. Good tips for the newbies. Yes, Antiques Roadshow! Some of our clutter would have qualified – in fact, I neglected to mention that the oldest and most expensive item I sold, after considerable research, raised US$10,000 – it being a first edition religious book from 1885 passed down the generations of OH’s family. I encourage everyone to de-clutter. You never know what you might find in the shed!

GDSA, you’re back on a different page now but I remember reading about your second treadmill effort last night. You’re on a roll. Literally.

Have a great day all – thinking of those in Qld.

Posts crossed, hi Merry! hi GDSA! That’s some lovely news and so motivating. I recall being equally excited when I was able to zip up my wedding dress (with me in it).

Wow that’s great. Good on you!

Morning from sunny Wagga Wagga, I completed my 3rd FD yesterday and felt great although a little tired after 3 nightshifts. I must admit I went a little crazy after the fast and ate more than I should have. Having said that it was no more than I used to eat on a regular basis so with 2 FD a week I figure I’m still ahead of the game. It’ll take some getting used to and I’ll definitely have to be more mindful about what I eat after a FD. I had a lovely walk along the levy at the Murrumbidgee this morning which is a 5km round trip. I’m hoping to do another 5kms around the lake later today. They’ve just installed solar powered lights at the lake which means more flexibility when it comes to times to walk. Have a great day everyone ๐Ÿ™‚

Hi all

Had a good FD yesterday, although I had to quickly throw together a miso broth & konjac noodle soup. It was a colder day and I hadn’t planned for any hot food and found myself really craving something hot. I made enough for 2 bowls so I’ll have the remaining one on thursday, my next FD.

Joffy – sounds like you had a great weekend. One on one time with your son is precious – kids just don’t get to monopolise a parent’s time like that very often.

GDSA – congrats on the dress – although it is a shame you didn’t get to wear it at all. Time to look for some new bargains that fit. I don’t regularly shop at the central market anymore, but I do get there about every 6 weeks. I regularly catch up with a group of people I used to work with for lunch at a little asian cafe that’s been in the central market for at least 4 decades (it even predates the Chinatown arcade). I take the opportunity to do my shopping there after those lunches and find things that just don’t appear in the shops where I live.

Goldenheart – I had a bit of a struggle with overeating on NFDs in my first month on this diet – but I was mainly doing 4:3. I do better with 5:2, and I think time has also helped as I’ve relaxed into the program. Hopefully this will settle for you to – I think in time we start to realise that there will be plenty more NFDs, and we don’t have to eat all of this food today as there will be plenty more opportunities to enjoy these foods. I guess you manged to figure out how to fit the fast day cycle around nightshift hours – I imagine that would get tricky if you need to move between day-afternoon-night shifts.

I’m off to do the grocery shopping now, have a good day everyone.

Hi everybody!

So impressed with you all and how you are taking each day and making it work for you!

GDSA – way to go with the dress! Even though its too big – I reckon that counts as a fantastic non-food reward?

Joffy that was great advice for a newbie like me.

Thin – you’ve made me think about my OHs family bible he inherited. Its a great big huge thing. He wanted to chuck it a few years ago – but I thought it should be kept for its family historical value if nothing else. Doubt its worth anything to anybody else – looking forward to when I can pass it on (read ‘offload’) to the next generation!!

I put on 1kg as a result of my licorice binge on my NFD in the weekend! How can that even happen??? Have been pulling myself back and my FD yesterday was pretty good. Then I discovered that the Strepsils I’ve been taking for this recurrent sore throat have both glucose and sucrose!! AAAAARGGHHH!! Teach me to read the labels. Finally made an appt to see the Dr as its been off and on for 3 weeks now.

With that gain I’m going to have to really pull it out of the hat to reach my goal of 83.something before holidays to Europe in exactly 2 weeks. Currently 85.1.

I really appreciate being able to link in with you guys. My family is totally over hearing anything diet related from me ๐Ÿ˜‰

2nd FD tomorrow!

Slimm – I’ve given up trying to figure out how you can eat food that weighs 200g and gain 1kg. When I used to weigh myself daily I noticed that after a restaurant meal my weight would be up 2-3kg the following day. All the food I ate the previous day would have barely weighed 500g. I figure that the only answer can possibly be fluid as it’s the only other thing I ingested that has weight. The good news is that it means most of the weight gain must be fluid not body fat and should come off quickly. I’ve found that both a high salt or a high sugar meal can have this effect.
    If your family have had enough of discussing diet, come and talk to us.

Hi Everyone,
    I’ve loved reading the posts over the last couple of days, but I will just send a collective thankyou as I need to keep moving today!
    It is my Wednesday fast day and I am heading down to the Friends of the Earth Shop this afternoon to fill up my miso jars.

Thinking of all the people who suffered through the cyclone, what an awful sustained stress.
    But I saw this and thought I would share it: http://i.imgur.com/aYpY6cc.jpg

Ha ha ha Cinque! Did you get your test results back? Fingers crossed for you. And how’s your friend with the TIA? FD for me too and I’ve opened a new packet of A&C milk. 45 cals for 250 mls. It’s delicious. Sanitarium, unsweetened. I freeze 80ml portions for FDs. Running low on cauliflower soup portions so will have to make some more soon.

Good luck off-loading the bible Slim. My family are long over any talk of 5:2 so I just quietly get on with it. That’s why the forum is so good, everyone here ‘gets it’.

I haven’t bought a block of konjac for ages LJ; I must get some in as it lasts for ages and is a good standby ingredient.

Goldenheart, don’t worry about eating a lot the day after a fast – feasts are every bit a part of this ‘feast and famine’ lifestyle and, in time, you will find yourself eating smaller portions and making healthier choices without even making a conscious effort.

Hi all. I had a good FD yesterday and my morning belly rumbles disappeared after a cup of miso & hot water.
    Lowest weight so far this morning 69.3.

In response to weight gain posts after a binge or eating out I think i read somewhere that when taking in food high in salt the body retains more fluid than it usually would – makes sense as restaurant/takeaway food is usually heavy on salt.

GDSA, I really notice how much water I drink after eating out. I’m always very thirsty for the rest of the evening and throughout the night. I don’t cook with salt at all so it’s a big difference for us.

Had to give myself a bit of a talking to this morning.
    As most of you know I only weigh myself monthly and the end of the month is looming fast. I had a moment of panic this morning that I won’t have lost much again this month, now that I’m doing 2 NFD between my FDs. I thought – I could squeeze in an extra FD, do one today and again Friday – instead of tomorrow as planned. I needed to remind myself that alternate day is not a good idea, I’ve already tried that and I binge on the NFDs. The whole point of moving to a routine of 2 NFD between FDs was to minimise the binges and to learn to eat more moderately on my NFD. After arguing with myself for a while I came to some conclusions:
    – For me, extra fast days aren’t the answer to more consistent weight loss.
    – I need to focus on eating moderately on NFDs.
    – I need to move more, as I still spend too much time sitting.
    So I’m back on track now doing a NFD, will do my last FD for the week tomorrow – as planned.

Wow! It is yonks’ since I posted, well it feels like it. Been away but kept to the eating habit. Still loosing. Yea!
    GdayfromSA, I know how you felt when you tried on your dress, isn’t a lovely feeling when you know that not only loose weight but the inches have gone as well.
    I am still swimming every morning even though the water is getting cooler. I want to go all through winter so I will just have to fork out my big sweatshirt to put on when I get out of the water. Fasting days have become a habit now, when I first started them I seemed to think of nothing but food. Now days 2pm comes around and it suddenly pops into my head that I can eat if I want to! They don’t bother me anymore. I feel so much more healthy and have also found that if I don’t do that swimming exercise in the mornings my days are sluggish to say the least. I can actually walk a bit further now days without my hips playing up so swimming seems to be improving my health as well as the 5-2.
    I agree with you “Thinatlast” I used to tell my family about the 5-2 and how I felt on it but it completely went over their heads. I don’t bother anymore and as you do, just get on with it. Just hope that my son who lives in Sydney notices my “shape change” when I go down there in September.
    Up to date I have lost 4 kilograms plus quite a few cm. May not sound much but when I think of 2 bags of sugar I think WOW! well done me!
    FD today, had 2 cups of coffee since 5am and about to have a nice egg salad.
    Stay safe all.
    Charlotterose

Wow charlotterose i never really thought of it that way. 4kg weight loss = 2 big bags sugar. Guess what i will pick up and examine when im in the supermarket next time just to see what it feels like…..2 x 2kg bags sugar !! Haha

Hey Everybody

Lost half my gain thank goodness! FD today and full of beans.

Iโ€™ve been researching the internet far and wide for info on Intermittent Fasting. I came across this absolutely brilliant podcast by Dr Mark Mattson โ€“ a neurologist at Johns Hopkins University who has done much research on IF. He covers heaps in this 2016 podcast โ€“ from effects on weight loss to alzheimers, (which is of great personal interest to me having lost my mother to it 4.5 years agoโ€ฆstill grieving โ˜น) and exercise. One critical point he makes is the importance of refeeding properly at the end of a fast so that cells have the fuel they need to go through the regeneration process.

http://smartdrugsmarts.com/episode-120-intermittent-fasting/

The actual interview starts at about 8:00 โ€“ prior to that itโ€™s website advertising. Its about 30 mins long.

Be really interested to hear what resonates for everybody โ€“ if/when you get time to listen – or if you have come across it already!

Slimmerella podcast sounds interesting will try to get to it on the weekend.

Charlotterose couldnt wait till i went food shopping just had to see what 4kg felt like so my D and i rummaged through the pantry cupboard and put together 4kg of weight. OMG we seriously cant get our head around how heavy it is and thats how much weight ive lost since 1st January….well done to me too !!

Thought it was time to put the tape measure around the waist again. On 26th Jan I was 95cm – 8th March was 93cm and today I’m 87cm. Im pretty chuffed indeed.

Cooler weather here for next 5 days – low 20’s. Daylight savings ends on Sunday morning so as an early riser (5am) looking forward to not having to wait until 7am for daylight to arrive.

Time for a cuppa tea and bed. Have averaged 7 hours sound sleep most nights which has been nice.

Hi All,

Checking in to say ‘hello’ and that I’m still here, in spirit at least! …Continuing to fast two days a week through this busy time of work shifts, classes and assignments that are due means that I’ve had to shift my FDs around. Last week and this I’ve had to fast on Tuesdays and Thursdays, which isn’t my ideal since I prefer 2 NFDs in between two FDs (not to mention those 5 days that end up between one week of FDs and the next), however it’s this way or reducing to 6:1 which I’m choosing not to opt for at this time. I really need my 2 x FDs per week.

At the moment I’m making a concerted effort to sense when anxiety arises and to feel when that turns into hunger. Today I felt anxiety arise as I worked on an assignment question that gave me chagrin. I’d just eaten a salad lunch a half hour before. When the anxiety arose, I was aware of it for 3 seconds before hunger replaced the feeling. At that point I realized that the hunger feeling must be some automatic response. For the rest of the day I felt the fluctuation between anxiety and hunger as I worked through more of my assignment. I began deep breathing through the anxiety as a way of helping myself through it and drank a big glass of water each time hunger surpassed anxiety.

Slimmerella, the link you posted very much interests me. I’ll definitely have a listen as a way of treating myself when I’ve completely finished my term assignments.

I’m on a roll with one assignment, though will not continue typing since it is 10 pm and though I’d love to continue since my head is clear and I’m enjoying the thought process, I also need my sleep. I find that I’m hungriest when I’m in sleep deficit and I’m fasting tomorrow, so will retire for the evening!

Another treat I’ll give to myself when I’ve completed my class work is to catch up on all the Southern Hemispherites’ posts I’ve missed over the past week! Cheers!

I’m still getting ready for bed! As I sit here and floss, I’ve begun listening to the Mark Mattson podcast!

I’m only a quarter of the way through the talk and what I’m finding interesting so far is that Dr. Mattson infers that he’s actually conducting animal studies based on 5:2 principles. Up until now, I’ve only heard of animal studies based on Krista Varaday’s 4:3 method.

A second surprise is that Dr. Mattson states that after fasting from between 13-16 hours, the body has completely used up liver glycogen stores and then starts to break down fat in the body as an energy source which results in the burning of ketones for energy which is beneficial for the brain. …This is the first that I’ve heard that the body moves into ketosis so quickly. My understanding is that it takes much longer such as 24-36 hours without food to reach that state. I’m trusting Dr. Mattson has tested and checked this out? I’m still listening, though won’t get through the whole talk tonight!

GDSA, Congratulations on the 8 cm mid body loss! I found that part of my body to be the most stubborn and it is the first place I gain when my weight goes above my goal weight envelope, so I understand what a great milestone that is to have shed that amount there!

Good morning everyone,

I had a good fast day yesterday. It was nice to have my traditional fast day miso soup again. I had a little snack as well to add some (complex) carbs, but didn’t go to sleep easily so thinking that doesn’t make any difference for me.

Minka, so interesting to hear you analyse anxiety and hunger. I am going to start noticing if that is how it works with me.

I listened to the podcast too. Thanks for the link Slimmerella. I was also surprised at him talking about starting ketosis in one day.
    I really liked listening to it, especially at the end of a fast day. I thought Dr Mosley covered his main points well in the 5:2 documentary, but it was good hearing the details. All the exercise stuff had to wash over me, sigh, as chronic illness means I am extremely limited. Lucky 5:2 works anyway!

Charlotterose and Gday, hooray for those two bags of sugar!
    I’d need a trolley to carry around the 15 bags I’ve lost since my heaviest weight. Woot! It is a wonderful vision.

LJoyce, what an excellent little list of healthy things to remind yourself about. Best wishes for a wonderful fast day today!

Thin, glad you enjoyed that link :). I don’t get my results til Wednesday 5th. My friend has been moved to a rehab place and is able to have visitors now.
    I hope you and yours are all going well!

I’m just about to break my fast with a lovely breakfast. Hope everyone has a great day!

Morning all

FD going well – no appetite yet.

The 2 bags of sugar is a good idea – I used to try and lift the 5kg bags of potatoes in the supermarket as a reminder of weight lost. It always amazed me that my skeleton could cope with moving all those extra kgs around when I was struggling to list it a few cms.
    I don’t like those TV demonstrations when they pile up the kgs of butter or margarine as a demonstration of how much fat people have lost, because it leads people to believe that every gram they’ve lost is body fat, in reality they also lost fluid and probably some glycogen along with the body fat. I found that when I realised that weight loss and fat low were very different things, it helped me accept unexplained fluctuations in weight more easily rather than getting frustrated.

Regarding the Mark Mattson vid, I don’t believe liver glycogen stores are used in 13-16 hours, but if his experiments are in animals (probably mice or rats) it’s possible that these figures apply to them not to humans. My dietitian said that our liver holds approx 1.5kg of glycogen and is stored with another 1.5kg of water and there is a similar amount also stored in our large muscles (that’s 3kg glycogen+3kg water in total). She also said that once you have exhausted those stores it can take 2 weeks to completely replace them, depending on what you are eating after depletion. Having tried a low carb diet a few years ago, I know it took me 3 days not 13 hours to get to ketosis, and I was eating less than 800 cals daily at the time. (Not a time I remember with any fondness – never doing that again.)

Thin, you mention a “block of konjac”. I’ve only ever found it as noodles, is it possible to buy konjac in other forms? I use the noodles regularly in asian soups and also stirfrys as I find them a good substitute for rice noodles.

Happy Thursday everyone! Haven’t been back since Monday morning, but here I am! Monday was my first FD, managed to get through it ok – I even had one less cup of coffee than I usually do (just can’t do black coffee! Maybe its good that I’m cutting down!) and didn’t start getting a headache til just before dinner. Had a poached egg and smoked salmon for breakfast, and some leftover bbq’d fish fillets plus a huge bowl of salad (all weighed and measured) for dinner – so big I couldn’t finish it all! Had so much water on Monday I didn’t notice the hunger pangs – too much! Back to a Non FD on Tuesday, and found I picked a little more than usual (fruit) during the day. Out for lunch yesterday with a friend so I made sure I only had a salad with salmon for dinner to compensate for the lunch! 2nd FD today, had brekky (egg and smoked salmon again) and planning on making couscous with lemon and mirin tofu for dinner (from the 5:2 book). Exercise has been good every day – 30 minute HIIT on the treadmill, followed by another 30 mins of hill walk (treadmill) an hour or two later, after breakfast. I’m sorry to say a little bit of chocolate has made its way into my mouth on the non FDs – bugger! Dark choc though – at least its better for me! (I know, stop eating it!!!) ๐Ÿ˜‰
    Snuck a look on the scales this morning. I don’t know why I do it before I promised myself I would (Monday mornings as soon as I get up) – the number had gone in the wrong direction – but I am hoping its because I was full of water and my breakfast!

Off to guzzle another drinkbottle of water as my tummy is grumbling a little!
    Have a good day everyone, stay safe Queenslanders.

Hi all FD going well so far. Have decided to forego brekky (except my standard 2 cups black coffee) for my FD’s this week to stretch out the fasting time but found i needed something by late morning today as i felt faint so had half cup of my homemade onion soup which helped. Tea tonight will be steamed veg & a small portion of spaghetti bolognaise with a sprinkle of parmessan. Weighed exactly 69 kg this morning – you cant believe how excited I’m feeling about hitting tbe 68’s !

Well done Tori,
    Ignore those devious scales this time! ๐Ÿ˜‰
    Dark chocolate is such a wonderful treat, enjoy it when you have it, and if it is just an occasional treat, no guilt required!

LJoyce, I am wondering if Dr Mark Mattson, who does his fast and heavy exercise 5 days a week, might go into ketosis quickly because his liver never gets the chance to store 1.5 kg of glycogen?

Gday, woot, the 68’s are coming!

Hey all!

Traveled much better through my FD yesterday and finally lost the licorice gain! Work dinner with my husband tonight so about to peruse the menu online and make some choices ahead of time. Might try and stay off the wine too as it sends my willpower out the window.

I agree LJ and Cinque – can’t see how you could get into ketosis from scratch in that short timeframe. It just took me 3 days after the weekend and that is usual for me too. That was useful info from your dietician LJ.

G’day – I share that faint feeling and not keen. I’ve upped my salt a bit and I think that’s helped. Not a natural water drinker – but I see you and others are having soup which would help get the fluid up. Need to investigate miso more. I’ve finished off my D’s sachets so might go on a hunt.

Want to investigate konjac too – that’s a new one for me.

13 days till we are off to Europe. I’ve never worried about my eating when we’ve travelled before – but I don’t want to lose these great gains ( or is it gain these great losses??) I would love to hear any tips anyone has

Cheers!

Hi 5,

The liver stores only about 100-120g of glycogen. Definitely not 1.5kg!!! If youre about a 100kg person you might store about 1.5 kg in your muscles….maybe. When I first started water fasting it would take me about 48 hours to get into ketosis. It now takes me 24 hours to go into ketosis. This is based on a level of at least 0.5mmol/L being the definition of ketosis. I measure ketones using a glucose/keto meter. Unless you are on a keto diet I don’t think you will go into ketosis if “fasting” is simply a reduction of calorie intake to 500 calories for the day.

Hi all, I’ve been reading the posts but haven’t had time to comment – well done to all. Newbies seem to be going very well.

Just a note on the konjac noodles as two people have asked. There were several of us using Slendier brand noodles for a while a couple of years back. They’re available from major supermarkets (and in NZ) in the health section in various forms – spaghetti, rice, fettucine, angel hair, etc. They’re made from konjac which is a Japanese vegetable with virtually no calories (8 per serving) so they’re great as a filler on FDs when you’re starting out. On their website, http://www.Slendier.com, you’ll find some very good, low cal recipes including the Spanish Fideos which I often mention here, 142 cals. (I’ve just double checked this and there are new recipes on their site now and they’ll also send you a free ebook with recipes).

Then a poster called JustJulie joined us who’d lived in Japan and told us that the same thing was available from Asian grocers in block and ribbon form at a fraction of the price. So we all switched to that version which is not in the sanitised, commercial packaging but sold in a tub rather like buying silky tofu. The block form that I mentioned LJ. comes in either white or brown with specs. CharliesMum named the latter ‘pond scum’ as it does resemble that a bit. They both taste the same but the white looks more appetising. It keeps in the fridge for absolutely ages and you cut off thin slices and then cut those into skinny strips. If you can’t be bothered doing that, Asian grocers also sell the ribbon form which come in little packets and are cleverly tied with beautifully crafted little ribbons. You put the whole bunch into a soup or stew. You might have to ask for it as it won’t be labelled – and not all the staff knew what it was the first time I checked.

I still buy the Slendier occasionally just for the angel hair version as I can’t cut the konjac block that skinny. As I say, it’s quite a bit more expensive but then there is the convenience of the two portion pack already shaped into whatever pasta/noodles you’re trying to emulate.

Have fun with it and let us know what you think!

*RAMBLE ALERT – CAN BE SAFELY IGNORED IF NOT GOING ON HOLIDAY!

Slim, I appreciate your fears about going on holiday – another challenge for people like me who, prior to 5:2, never gave any thought to what I ate on holiday, typically gaining 3kgs or more. It happened that I’d completed my weight loss in between two overseas holidays and I was already in maintenance when we left for 7 weeks in Portugal and Spain. In the months leading up to it, I became very anxious about it all and definitely didn’t like the advice I was being given to just enjoy it and worry about the weight gain on return. I wanted to find a way to incorporate my new WOE into our overseas trips as well. And I didn’t want to spoil it for the OFMs by obsessing with food. But I had no intention of gaining any of that 23kg back while on holiday!

Planning a strategy is important because you typically have no control over what’s going to be on offer when you’re out and about in a foreign town. How you tackle it depends on the kind of holiday you’re having and for how long you’re going. Ours was self-catering so I was in control. I decided that, as I was in maintenance, I would move to 6:1 for the duration of the trip. I put together some really simple recipes using ingredients that I knew would be available – my trusty cauliflower soup as it only has 3 ingredients, miso soup – I took the sachets with me, and so on. I intended to try all the food offerings but in moderation (there are a lot of pastries calling out to you in Portugal).

Oh, and have I mentioned the travel scales? I don’t leave home without them! They weigh 700gms and are worth their weight in gold. After three weeks of walking 10-15kms a day, I noticed I was losing quite a bit of weight and got down to 58.5kgs. I was worried that if I completely stopped fasting, I’d get out of the habit and it might be hard to start again on return. So, I checked in with the MC thread people and they advised me to set a ‘trigger’ weight and just stop fasting altogether unless I reached that weight.

So, that’s what I did. I didn’t fast for the remaining 4 weeks but was mindful of everything I ate. It was over Christmas too but by then we were in Spain, eating healthily and hiking in the Sierra Nevadas every day. I came home weighing a little less than when I left and immediately started 6:1 on day one which I continued for four months until the weight started creeping up to that ‘trigger’ weight and I reverted to 5:2 until our next trip six months later.

On that trip, which was to Africa for 5 weeks, I again switched to 6:1. I was even more worried about this one as we are less active when we go there – typically spending a lot of time inside a car (there are lots of things to kill you where we go). I kick-started that holiday with a 27 hour fast which gave me a week to play with. I made sure any accommodation with breakfast included didn’t fall on the FD. All worked out fine, we did manage a few good, long hikes and climbs, I had no weight gain at all and I carried on with 6:1 for a few months until, again the weight started creeping up and I’ve been back on 5:2 since about October last year.

Now, I have a new challenge. We’re going for a short break to Asia this year. I’m already worrying and planning even though it’s only for 2-3 weeks. A lot of the accommodation will have a breakfast buffet included (OH’s dream, my nightmare). And no, I can’t just not go down there – I’ll have paid for it! So, on this one, I’ve decided to do a 24 hour fast on the outbound travel day. Two other weekly fasts will be breakfast to breakfast. I think this will work – I’ll have the buffet breakfast one morning which will give me my coffee fix too. Then I’ll go all day with no food until the following morning when I’ll try to have a lighter breakfast. OH can get dinner in a night market and snack during the day. There’s a lot of deep-fried stuff that won’t be hard for me to pass.

So my tips are get yourself some travel scales; plan a little strategy ahead of time depending on the nature of your holiday and length of time away; try everything on offer but eat mindfully; check into the forum if you need help – and enjoy yourself!

Well, I’m sorry for the length of this but I hope it gives you confidence that you can go on a nice, long holiday and not gain weight. I do believe that we need to find ways to incorporate this WOE into every aspect of our lives and this is my way of doing it. There are others who will say, ‘just have fun, eat what you want and worry about getting the weight off when you get back’. And that’s absolutely fine if it works for you. But if you’re in weight loss mode and you return home at the same weight as when you left, I promise you that you will feel so good about yourself!

Thanks thin, I’d never heard of konjac in blocks, but I will look out for it. I have been using either Slendier or Changs konjac noodles regularly but a cheaper option would be welcome. After a bit of internet research at lunch time I discovered you can also get konjac powder/flour, which looks like it behaves a little like cornflour.

It’s amazing just how much the weather affects how active I feel like being. This afternoon I spent 2 1/2 hours in the garden digging, planting, carting soil and spreading straw. Throughout the summer I was lucky to last any more than 20 minutes doing anything that strenuous. The lack on sun pelting down on me, and cool air to stop me hyperventilating seems to make quite a difference. If this weather holds I can start planning my other gardening jobs – many of which are overdue.

Time for cream of mushroom soup and some strawberries for dinner. FD has gone well. Hope the rest of you fasters have also had good days.

Woohoo…..68.7kg & BMI of 25.5 this morning ! Now that’s made my Friday.

Have done some research on body fat – so much conflicting info out there its hard to work out whats correct. Will post more later when I have time.

Hi all,
    Busted out another FD and noticed the difference this morning. Dropped back down after my weekend of indulgence to where I was previously which is pretty awesome having skipped a FD last week also. I don’t know what it is but as I have mentioned before bad breath in the morning means scales falling for me. After my last FD on Tuesday morning it was as per normal in relation to how your breath feels then this morning, phew, it disappears after a coffee and the eventual brushing of teeth. No brekky yet got a little bit of work early today so I will have brekky after 9am when I get home.
    Summer finished here earlier in the week. Funny it just stopped and I had to put a jumper on in the evening and daylight savings goes this weekend bringing on dreary, dark winter arvo’s. Oh well all good things must end, like this post.

Meals for the day:
    2 x white coffee’s 300kj, 500g minestrone soup 800kj, 100g kidney beans in the soup 400kj Total 1500kj or 358cals.
    *Note for newbies my white coffee is instant with 50ml of milk.

Goodmorning lovelies,
    Just had another interrupted night with little miss two and a half. She had been sleeping through at home so it might be better if I just take her for hunks of the day for a while!

But it is a lovely morning. Cool, but I like that! Yes summer really seems to have ended this time!

I think I will look for shirataki noodles next time I am in the Asian grocery! I see they are selling the Miracle brand of them in Coles.

G’day you made the 68’s already! You might float back up for some reason, but you know you will be back for good! https://bugburrypond.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/dance-of-joy1.jpg

Happy dance for you too Joffy. A good day!

Bigbooty thanks for the info!

Thin and Slim, I’m thinking how lucky you are to be travelling! Hope you can make eating well work! That way you can enjoy it much more!

@5 no probs.

Well, my time in the garden yesterday has come back to bite me – I have lots of aching joints this morning. Hopefully it will settle down in a couple of days.

Took a drive out to Mylor this morning so I could order a pea straw delivery from the Farm Store (they supply local farmers, but if you have a large garden they also stock things that are useful and good value). Definitely cheaper than going to a garden centre for these supplies, 10 bales cost $79 delivered. That should be sufficient to cover all of my flower beds and fruit trees.

Then I went to the local cafe for lunch. I had a delicious sandwich with grilled haloumi, mushrooms and pesto on sprouted rye – yum. The have wonderful cakes but I didn’t have any room left for one so I bought something to take home with me, which I have already frozen for another day.

Thin – your talk of holidays is making me wistful. So many places I’d like to travel to.

I just had a rather stark reminder of how little strength I actually have. The bales of pea straw that I ordered this morning have just been delivered. The young man delivering them also unloaded them by hand, by himself. Pea straw bales come strapped in groups of 6. He didn’t unstrap them he managed to get the bundles of 6 bales off the truck and over to the spot I wanted them with no help. I can’t even lift 1 bale by myself – I have to drag them! Maybe I need to start lifting weights, I feel rather inadequate after witnessing that!!

Thin โ€“ thanks a million. They were brilliant tips. We are going to Paris and London via Hong Kong, then have 5 days each around Netherlands and Belgium. Not self catering so need to be careful and donโ€™t want to be too painful for my H who has planned and booked this whole thing. We will get a good amount of exercise โ€“ we like to just walk around and fall over interesting things as well as anything weโ€™re targeting (but not hiking and kudos to you in the Sierras!!) Reckon it could be 15,000 steps in the Rijksmuseum alone based on a previous excursion!

From your ideas Iโ€™m thinking:
    – A seriously solid fast just before we leave. I know I can do that now.
    – Not eating while travelling on the flights, train or car trips when not getting any exercise and the food can be bad anyway.
    – A conversation with my H around me mostly not needing/wanting breakfast โ€“ but its Ok for him.
    – Stay lo- carb at the buffet breakfasts in Hong Kong. So hear you on that one Thin!
    – Working out what I absolutely want to eat and trying to plan around that. Canโ€™t pass up French Onion soup in Paris, or the most amazing roasted cauli with tahini at an Israeli place called Miznon in the Marais. And I really want to get a home grown Rijsttafel which is a Dutch/Indonesion rice dish I love.
    – He has booked a couple of restaurants so I will try and go lo-carb and keep to one bottle of wine with those.

LJ โ€“ glad you got some good garden time in. Probably one of the best things for the soul there is! With so much rain in Sydney I race outside to get even 30 mins of sun if its on offer now its cooler. Plus Vit D etc as Iโ€™m really deficient.

Thanks for the konjac info!

Joffy โ€“ minestrone sounds like a great idea as the weather starts to cool.

Gโ€™day โ€“ you are nailing it!

Thanks for all your support!

Good morning everyone,
    Cool and grey here.
    LJoyce, I hope you are recovering from the gardening! I used to lug those straw bales around. In fact I often use them to describe the burden of chronic illness, ie that it is like trying to live your day with a bale of straw tied to your back! Good days there is a lighter load. Bad days it is even heavier and you can’t even get up.
    Luckily here in yuppy suburbs they give us a plastic bag full that costs twice as much as yours, and contains a quarter the amount! But at least I can lift it!

Yesterday I was dealing with how hungry exhaustion from lack of sleep makes me! I did okay. Glad it wasn’t a fast day, in fact it was my lovely lull day. Today is day before fast day! And I think it will be a good one! I’m going to make a chickpea curry!

Slim, great planning!

Best wishes everyone!

Morning all. It’s been raining here in Adelaide but the sun has just peaked its nose out from behind the grey clouds. If it stays that way I may get out into the garden this afternoon and start spreading some pea straw around.

To ease some of the soreness from gardening I had a soak in a hot bath last night. I was reminded of how my bottom used to be so wide it used to create a dam in the bath. It definitely doesn’t do that now. Funny the odd things that remind us that we’ve lost weight.

Which brings me to my weight loss for March. As it’s the 1st of the month, it’s weigh-in day for me. I am finally below 80kg, 79.2kg this morning which is a loss of 2kg for March. Given how little I lost in Feb I’m happy that the weight loss is moving again. I’ve also had some real changes in measurements this month with -1cm off my bust, -3cm off my waist and -2cm off my hips.
    Over the 3 months that I’ve been doing intermittent fasting that’s a total of 8.4kg lost, -1cm from my bust, -8cm from my waist and -6cm from my hips.

No wonder my previously tight jeans now fit comfortably. I can even sit down in them and keep breathing!

Might go celebrate with a pot of my favourite tea.

Have a nice weekend.

Yippee GDSA and LJ! Great news, well done, that’s plenty to celebrate. Your bath story is funny LJ. For years I didn’t have a bath because it was just too hard to get out – I was too too fat to turn and my knees were too sore to kneel that way. No problem now. That konjac flour sounds interesting.

Perth is enjoying that glorious, short-lived weather that we get in between summer and winter. 30C. Just perfect.

You’ll have a wonderful, guilt-free, planned holiday Slim!

Halitosis is an unsurprising symptom of weigh loss because most excess fat is excreted via respiration, coupled with the fact that there’s less saliva production when we’re fasting, without which the tongue and palate breed billions of extra bacteria. A good reason to drink plenty of water although I’m not very good at remembering.

Cinque, sleep deprivation is a form of torture. Do look after yourself first.

Hope everyone’s enjoying a great weekend. Still deciding what to have for FD meal tomorrow,

Hi all, just taking a quick 2 min treadmill break while I post this before I forget!
    Slimerella, I wouldn’t stress too much about your European holiday! We (family) just had over a month in Europe over the Christmas holidays – pre 5:2. I wasn’t going to go through all the months of organisation then have to worry about what I was eating! We did an awful lot of walking while we were away, and an awful lot more eating, and I only put on 1.5kg for the whole trip. I was happy with that considering what I ate (easy-to-eat winter food: pizza, pasta, croissants, etc – you get the picture)! Having said that, it was easy to do a lot of walking (when the kids weren’t moaning!), because if we stopped, we would have frozen to the spot (European winter!!). Once we got home to hotter than hell temperatures in Sydney (that few weeks of well over 40 degrees) I found that I didn’t move at all, and I put on more weight in less time!!! I imagine that if I had even SLIGHTLY watched my food intake on holidays I probably would have lost weight.

Well, that took more than 2 mins off the treadmill, so time to put my phone away!!! Back on Monday after my first week’s weigh in. Wish me luck! ๐Ÿ˜œ

Good morning. I got an end-of-daylight-saving sleep-in! Will visit my daughter and grandtots later…. oh dear they will be having a long day! I remember.

Thanks Thin, yes, sleep deprivation is torture! I am back to my normal bad sleeping now! Always trying to improve.
    I am so glad you are enjoying your glorious weather!
    My glorious weather bar is situated just a few notches below yours! Lucky I live in Melbourne! Mind you, right now it is feeling cold! But I have a snug dressing gown on!

LJoyce, Congratulations! Wonderful figures!
    Isn’t a hot bath a wonderful thing! I can’t manage showers, too much standing up, so I get to have baths all the time. (Not enough to stop me putting on weight though ๐Ÿ˜‰ https://theconversation.com/a-hot-bath-has-benefits-similar-to-exercise-74600 ) Hooray that you don’t have to contend with that dam any more!
    Hooray for sitting down in jeans, and being able to breathe!

Wishing you luck for Monday, Tori! Hope you have a good day today!

I made my chicken curry yesterday but had a go at adapting it to cook in the pressure cooker. Hmm, I made a few mistakes, so while it is a good curry, it isn’t great. Oh well, living is learning. Next time I will get it right!
    My daughter is going to give me her spaghetti squash, they are trying to pack a huge house and moving into a small apartment (lucky they have only been there for a year) so it is full on. Hopefully I will have my cooking mojo (never cooked spaghetti squash before) and make something they can share. Tomorrow.

Lucky it is early on my fast day I can’t bear thinking about delicious food later in the day! Apart from my miso soup that is!

Best wishes all!

PS Minka, are you North enough to be affected by the floods?

Morning all, so glad Daylight saving is over for the time being. I’m a morning person and had trouble staying in bed this morning so got up early for a walk along the river (Murrumbidgee), beautiful. I’ve taken to listening to various podcasts and the latest one is “Conversations” on ABC radio. Is anyone around the Lismore/M’bah area? I have a house in M’bah near the river. Fortunately the water only lapped the second step so the interior is fine and most importantly the tenants are safe. So much devastation ๐Ÿ™ I completed my second week and fourth FD on Friday. I’ve lost just over a kilo which I’m happy about. I found that during fasting I seem to have more energy, am less sluggish and less aches and pains. Is this the same for anyone else? Can anyone share a good Miso soup recipe? Have a lovely Sunday everyone ๐Ÿ™‚

Happy sunday morning everyone. Well its the end of daylight saving here is SA. I had a terrible nights sleep last night and am feeling very lethargic and flat this morning. Ive got that achy feeling around the eyes and I cant stop yawning.

Had planned a busy day at home but no longer motivated. Think i might have a lazy afternoon – read a book if my eyes feel up to it ! Lovely day outside so a bbq on the veradah sounds like a plan.

68.2kg this morning not bad considering i over indulged a bit yesterday.

Hi everyone,
    Hope all in the flood/cyclone area are safe and your homes, belongings and animals are too. We’ll be driving through the flood zone today. It’s been a bad one. The rivers came up so fast with a humungous rate of rainfall, and happening during school pick up time as well with so many on the road.

Congratulations to all with new numbers to celebrate! Especially a big well done to everyone getting under one of those 0 numbers!

Life is very hectic in the Merry household but we’re going well and celebrating some rellies getting their first 5-6kgs off. So cool, and they’re enjoying the process and noting how different 5:2 is to other forms of weight loss.

Looking forward to seeing Dr Moseley on Insight on SBS on Tuesday night.

About to get off a train……
    Onwards and Downwards,
    Merry

rs

Goldenheart, there are some miso soup recipes on our recipe page here:
    https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/southern-hemispherites-fd-recipes/
    We’d asked to keep that thread for recipes only, no chatting, and that all the recipes appear in the same format so that anyone could copy and paste the whole file of recipes into their own document. There’s a lot of chit chat in there now making it harder to find a recipe but you might get some inspiration. Feel free to add your own.

Hi all, I’m doing a FD today – I hadn’t considered in advance that with the end to daylight saving that means an extra hour of fasting.

I managed to divide and spread 4 bales of pea straw yesterday afternoon and also dig up some arum lilies and move them to another garden bed. I’ve noticed that the last few nights with time spent gardening every afternoon, I’ve slept much better – even with the extra joint pain at night. Because I’m physically tired, I am going to bed earlier and getting at least 6 hours before I wake. Considering how bad my sleep pattern usually is, this is a great improvement. I think the colder temperatures help sleeping too. All encouragement to keep in gardening. Although my finger joints are so sore today I might need to do some lighter tasks.

Hi!

Tori, it’s good to meet you and read how well your first fast day (FD) went!

Congratulations from me too LJ and GDSA for slimming down into the 60’s range!

Slimerella, your travels sound wonderful especially all those scenic places you’ll be visiting and walking around on foot to see, which as you see will be a lot of good exercise!

Thin, I’m with you on getting the money’s worth out of the breakfast buffet! What a great idea about fasting from breakfast to breakfast while traveling! Perfect idea since you’ll utilize it in a way that allows you to save money!

Goldenheart, I attend Murwillumbah TAFE and on Thursday at around mid-day we were ordered to evacuate Murwillumbah and go home before we wouldn’t be able to do so.

Cinque, thankfully our local vicinity fared quite well during cyclone Debbie and we’re grateful that our local creek didn’t break its banks.

Merry, I too found driving around during the flooding very stressful, I did see so much devastation which was quite alarming and finding my way making detours around flooded streets and resulting traffic was difficult. I can’t complain though after seeing dwellings sitting in water and after hearing stories of those I personally know whose homes were affected.

…Hey, is this new or had I missed seeing it previously? Dr. M. now has extended his Blood Sugar Diet services by supporting those wanting to succeed with the 8 week Blood Sugar Diet with a 12 week a paid online course for GBP99. Prior to 5:2 I joined a similar program called the ‘Adrenal Reset Diet’ whose template was almost exactly the same as I see being offered by BSD. What happened for me is that I did succeed in stellar fashion for those 12 weeks I was supported with that almost identical sounding program (with a few dietary detail variations) though strayed far and grew ‘wide’ soon after it was over! Here’s the link if haven’t seen it and you’d like to read more about it:

https://www.thebloodsugardiet.com.au/home-thebsd/the-12-week-online-program/

Am I grateful for the simplicity of 5:2 and that I can get all I need here for free.

I see Dr M also sells various associated BSD products on the site you can buy such as bags of almond and coconut flour, water bottles and zoodle makers. One thing I find interesting is that he sells Fitbits, Jawbone and Polar fitness trackers. Wasn’t it this past season of ‘Trust Me, I’m a Doctor’ that his team tested these devices only to find they weren’t accurate? I remember a group of walkers all taking 100 steps and then reporting the results. If I remember correctly every device was either grossly over or under calculated steps taken with an average 25% error rate and participants concluding that they’d come to the conclusion that the devices weren’t reliable enough to merit buying one! I’ve asked a few friends of mine who use fitness devices if they’ve ever counted out 100 steps and then checked to see if their devices was accurate and not one of them has ever performed that test, with one arguing that they just ‘know’ it’s correct. Interesting though that same friend wonders why she walks 16 kilometers every day and is still in her words ‘fat’? Anyone who has a fitness device and has conducted their own 100 steps test, I’d like to hear from you since I’ve thought of getting one, though want one that is accurate!

Hi Minka, I didn’t know anything about the BSD paid programme. Nor had I seen the TMIAD episode about the fitbit assessment that you mention. We are lucky to have you here questioning everything. The way you have written about this has really made me laugh which has cheered me up no end as I’d been in a grumpy mood. (wondering how that 16km a day walker friend of yours finds time to eat?) I can’t find the merchandise section on the BSD site though. I suppose, having built people’s trust and having a huge following, selling add-ons makes sound business sense for Dr M. A sort of healthy version of, “would you like fries with that?”. But you’re so right, it does start to lose credibility when you endorse something you’ve previously shown to be a bit of a dud. I’m very interested in all this as DD writes a blog describing her exploits as a vet student and her followers are growing rapidly in number each month so I want to learn how she can best capitalise on this while maintaining credibility and professionalism.

Gosh, all that about driving around those flood-affected areas sounds unnerving.

LJ, I’m pleased you’re getting some decent sleep with all the gardening exercise. You mentioned getting your place ready for sale so that you can downsize and do some travelling. I feel daunted by this – as much as I keep selling stuff, we still seem to have so much. Nice to have you with us on this Sunday FD. Hi Cinque, how’s your FD going?

I’m having a repeat of last week’s chicken miso soup. Goldenheart, here is my recipe for today which serves 2 and claims to be 132 cals. I started working it out for myself and believe it to be closer to 146 cals so please check your own ingredients to be certain.

2 x 15g Japanese miso paste sachets (36 gm = 56 cals)
    1 chicken breast, skinned and sliced (100 gm = 172 cals)
    1 clove garlic, crushed (4)
    ยฝ tsp grated ginger (1)
    8 shiitake mushrooms, sliced (ยฝ cup = 40 cals)
    dash soy sauce
    ยผ Savoy cabbage, finely shredded (19 cals per cup)

Pour 600 ml boiling water into a pan and whisk in the miso paste. Add the rest of ingredients, except cabbage, and simmer for 10 mins. Stir in the cabbage, cook for 3 mins.

The reason I was grouchy this morning was because I started to doubt myself about whether I would be likely to continue fasting long-term. I woke up not particularly wanting to fast despite being over my trigger weight yet again. A good long walk sorted that out and I returned 600gms lighter. OH says that’s not possible. I don’t care, I still record the lowest weight for the day.

Anyway, while out on a different walking route, we stumbled on a very large market and there were samples of really nice looking food which I would have liked to have tried but didn’t. I wasn’t at all bothered that OH could try them but, instead of supporting me in being strong, he kept telling me that it wouldn’t make any difference if I did try those things saying I could have a spoonful less of something else today. I tried to explain that it’s not the ‘one spoonful of something’ that’s the issue – it’s a total discipline thing. I have never blown a FD and I feel that once I cave in, I will have failed.

A sample here, a spoonful there just won’t work for me. I’m reminded of other addictions like alcohol and how the AA members know how many days they’ve been alcohol-free. If they fall off the wagon, it’s not just a question of getting back on but they have to start from scratch. That’s how I feel about fasting and I do know this doesn’t apply to everyone. But, for me, giving in could signal the start of a slippery slope. I do know that 5:2 is much more forgiving than this but fasting for me is an addiction that has replaced an addiction to food. I just wonder why people close to me try to weaken my resolve.

Oh well, never mind, it’s nearly time for my miso soup and I’ve yet to make it. It’s been a good FD as it turns out and I’ll be so thankful for it tomorrow. End of whinge.

Viewing 50 posts - 10,951 through 11,000 (of 28,011 total)

You must be logged in to reply.