Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,903 replies, has 831 voices, and was last updated by  Anzac65 2 hours, 52 minutes ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 10,701 through 10,750 (of 28,007 total)

• Good morning everyone, it is a beautiful fast day morning in Melbourne.

Congratulations on a great book club LJoyce. It sounds like you made the most of it, and I bet you feel good this morning too.

Lovely to see your post here Intesha and that those caring duties are not completely swamping you at the moment.
    My mum did cake decorating and made the prettiest little flowers and things!

Happy fasting!

…and it’s a lovely fast day on this side of the country too. So there are four of us fasting, maybe five if PerthGirl’s in. Too much food and alcohol yesterday and, although I didn’t gain any weight, I woke feeling horrible from the excesses and very pleased to be fasting. I’ll be doing a Joffy-style fast with minestrone soup that’s been in the freezer too long 115 cals, jazzing it up with some black beans and fresh chilli from the garden. Glad you’re back with us Minka. Hope you’re all having an easy FD.

Hi Cinque would you mind sharing your recipie for zucchini slice ? The one i have been making for years contains half cuo oil so would like one thats oil free if possible.
    Thanks to everyone for my daughters birthday wishes. Was a quiet day just the 2 of us. Had some chocolate cake, lucky i dont have much of a sweet tooth so a small slice sufficed.
    Ive been averaging around 13,000 steps per day and exercising about 4 mornings per week following Michael mosley’s Fast Exercise book. Finding it not much of a chore as i only spend about 15-20 mins on exercise each time.
    Im loving miso so much that i have teaspoon of miso and hot water each morning at work instead of coffee.
    Its Sunday late afternoon writing post while cooking roast chicken and vegies in the webber. Back into the working week tomorrow…..ho hum

I’ve got the same half cup of oil in mine Gday! I bet it is the same recipe. I put a little bit less in than they say, but pretty close to the whole amount.
    I’m glad you are liking that miso. It does make an easy savoury broth type drink!

Ooh it is the end of a fast day and the thought of roast chicken is making my mouth water! I’m off to make my chicken miso soup!

Cheers to all the Sunday fasters…. and the Sunday non fasters!

Enjoy that minestrone, Thin!

Thanks Cinque, not really looking forward to it that much to be honest – it was a so-called home style soup from Woolworths and was a bit bland from memory which is why the other half found its way into the freezer. However, I’d written the cal count on it so it seemed an easy thing for today. I’ve converted the black beans from kj into cals and then divided all that into the portion I have left (56 gm) so, by my calculations, I’m adding another 63 cals to the soup which will hopefully make it taste better along with the chopped chilli.

I felt positively horrible this morning after too much food and alcohol yesterday (it probably wasn’t much by most people’s standards as I skipped breakfast and dinner to enjoy that lunch with friends). But for us fasters, it was an over-indulgence. Anyway, hurray for fast days and putting on the brakes – after just 120 cals so far today, I feel completely cleansed and so much better now. Ready for a fresh new week and, hopefully, better food choices.

I hope you were able to make that soup enjoyable Thin, lots of chili!

I have the lovely feeling of waking up after a fast day πŸ™‚
    I have an important meeting this afternoon at 1:30 so please send good wishes!

All the best for the meeting Cinque.

Reading about HCG diet today, as a couple of twenty-somethings at work announced they’re starting it today. I find it rather alarming actually. 500-1000 calories every day, that’s after the preloading where you eat as much fat as possible to build up stores for the next phase, aren’t you meant to be getting rid of those fat stores, isn’t that why you’re dieting to start with. Sone people even inject the HCG! Bad enough having to do it for IVF which may or may not lead to a baby. Not to mention one of the girls has not one ounce of fat on her, I think she’s just doing it because her mother told her she needs to lose weight, that’s just what mothers do I think well in my experience anyway. I’m so glad I’ve got 5:2 now and all you people to help me along. 5kg down today, and it wasn’t even hard. Lost all my love handles on my back, which I’ve never had before this year.

Hi GDSA – your roast inspired me. Yesterday was a FD so the idea had me salivating. So I’m making up for it today – tonight I’m doing roast lamb.
    You asked about zucchini slice recipies with little oil. I have 2 recipies, but they make up for the lack of oil with a rather large amount of cheese. I prefer them because I think the cheese provides more flavor than oil even if it doesn’t reduce the fat level much. The ingredients are:

ZUCCHINI-SWEET POTATO SLICE:
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 small red onion, very finely chopped
    2 cloves garlic, crushed
    2 tablespoons fresh oregano leaves, chopped (or 2 tsp dried)
    100g lean bacon,chopped (I use 4 short cut bacon rashers)
    300g zucchini, grated and moisture removed
    250g sweet potato (kumara), peeled and grated
    1 cup finely grated parmesan
    1 cup self raising flour
    salt and pepper to taste
    5 eggs, lightly beaten
    Β½ cup (125ml) buttermilk (you can add a few drops of lemon juice to 1/2 cup normal milk – good substitute for buttermilk if it isn’t something that you commonly have in the fridge)

ZUCCHINI SLICE:
    3 zucchini, grated with moisture squeezed out
    1 carrot, grated
    4 spring onions, finely chopped
    1 cup self-raising flour
    4 lean bacon short-cut rashers, diced
    6 eggs, beaten
    1 cup grated matured cheddar cheese, loosely packed
    1/2 cup grated parmesan
    seasoning to taste

The method is the same as for other zucchini slice recipies:
    Preheat oven to 180C
    Grease a 16 cm x 26 cm lamington tray
    Mix all ingredients together and pour into tray.
    Bake 35-45 minutes until set and golden.

Optional – I sometimes sprinkle the base of the tray with polenta or semolina (it adds a crunch to the texture). I also usually add tomato slices to the top before baking. I also sometimes add up to 3/4 cup of sweet corn kernels to the zucchini-sweet potato slice.

Going to be a hot week in parts of oz – so please stay cool if you can.

Hi to all the cooks out there.

What will happen if I leave out all the flour from the zucchini slices? Just finishing a Fast Day with one cup coffee only, plus lots of water.

Thanks, Bay πŸ’πŸ’

Well done, Thin. πŸŒΊπŸŒΊβ˜€οΈβ˜€οΈπŸŒΈπŸŒΈ

Hope your meeting went well, Cinque. πŸŒΊπŸŒΊβ˜€οΈβ˜€οΈ

Thanks Thin and Bay! <3
    It was a great meeting but won’t know the outcome for a while.

I think without the flour the zucchini slice will be more like a quiche. It should work!

Cheers for your fast day!

Hi bay, I agree with Cinque, without the flour you have a mixture that is like a lot like a frittata or the filling for a quiche. It will probably have a wobbly eggy texture, whereas the flour gives it a more solid and stable texture. If I was to try making it without the flour, I’d be tempted to also reduce the amount of eggs by 1-2 for a less wobbly texture.

Hi all,
    Still loosing so I am happy. I am going to try that Zucchini and sweet potato slice, it sounds neat. I have been running to and from for the last 2 weeks, busy busy busy but I have still managed to eat properly and that’s the main thing. Tomorrow when I get time I shall read through all the posts that I have missed.
    Have a great day
    ……..

Good afternoon everyone,

That’s a good suggestion Joyce! (I was trying to think of ‘frittata’ when I wrote quiche!)

Hi CharlotteRose, so glad you could pop in with your good news! Eating properly and losing excess weight, is excellent, especially when life is so busy!

It’s a hot week in Melbourne!

Cheers all!

Thanks everyone for zucchini slice/frittara/quiche recipies and suggestions will certainly give them a try. I use good quality olive oil in mine so cant be too bad i suppose.
    Had to go out of town for work today so went to the shops in my lunch break. Bought 2 skirts, a top and a stunningly beautiful summer dress for $50 all up on sale. And the best part is they were all size 10 and fit perfectly. I dont think ive fitted into a 10 since my very early teens. I couldnt believe it when the 12’s were a little baggy. So just a little bit happy today hehehe !!
    My bone density test came back all good so more reason to celebrate. Fast day today but treating myself to a couple of glasses of Moscato as i write.
    Glad everyone seems to be going well. Love reading your posts. Take care especially those of us in SA who are having another hot week.

Bayleafoz, could you use a flour substitute in the zucchini slice (which by the way sounds delicious)? For some reason coconut flour jumped into my brain, or maybe oat bran or something if it’s a gluten thing. Finishing a fast day with one coffee and lots of water??? Does that mean you just did a water fast??? Wow, that’s amazing! Still don’t know if I’ll do one but I look up to those of you who have.

Doughnut day tomorrow at work and I decided I didn’t even feel like ordering one, or eating it. When I really thought about it, I realised the only part I really like about them is the custard filling. So I’m going to buy some real good quality custard and just eat a couple of spoonfuls. I have begun to even hate the icing on the doughnuts, I used to think there wasn’t such a thing as too sweet, but oh how my palate has changed in just six short weeks. I’m finding I really struggle through the icing now because it just tastes so sickly.

The HCG girls at work on the other hand: moody, emotional (both were crying at work yesterday), starving and craving all sorts of “bad” foods they’re not allowed. So far on 5:2: I’ve felt euphoric, no cravings, rarely hungry, and one of the best parts is that I can eat anything I want. One of them saying how much weight she’s lost in just one day, well that’s not going to be fat. I’d tell them about 5:2 if I thought they’d take any notice. I think they already tried IF for a day or two and not really having given it a chance, they think it didn’t work for them. They were doing the one where you don’t eat until 2pm, and then eat as much as you like, I guess just extending your fasting window, and they seemed to be doing it seven days a week. I think 5:2 is far superior, although the other probably does work, 5:2 is a lot more life proof.

Yay size 10 Gday, that’s great!

Good to see you back here CharlotteRose, and good to hear you’re still losing weight and eating great (hehe rhyming). I was worried I’d upset you with my last post to you, and that really wasn’t my intention. Just tell me off if I’m getting too know-it-all. I’m just learning too, and I’ve only been doing this for about at long as you. I just read a lot and I want to see every single person on here succeed at 5:2. So I’m thrilled that you are.

I’m not losing weight particularly the last couple of weeks, but I feel a lot leaner, and I just feel good. So full of energy, and I catch myself singing a lot, and even more so on fast days which seems odd. I can bend over to tie my shoelaces without getting short of breath (I think my lungs were getting squished), I used to get reflux almost every night and I just don’t anymore, and no more back fat. I’ve also left the 80’s (kgs) behind for good. That was the heaviest I’ve ever been in my life and it really didn’t feel good. Bring on size 10 again. 5kg down, 20 to go, but I finally feel it is achievable. I’m starting every day with lemon juice in water, something I could never quite make a habit of before, and my digestion seems so much better for having that little rest every week.

Hope everyone else is well. Thank you all for just being here, with your great advice and tips.

Hi! It is so refreshing reading the posts here! I feel like a wayward traveler who has returned home!

Jody, I know someone who lost a heap of weight with HCG and has since gained it all back and more. I’d been thinking of going down that route at one point and like you, am so glad I opted for the more sustainable 5:2. Great to read that you are feeling lean and that feel that 5:2 has been a mood lifter.

Cinque, I’m so glad the meeting went well! I’m envisioning the seeds you planted there as sprouting healthily and turning into a lush plant that flowers prolifically!

GdayfromSA, how wonderful to be fitting into the size you wore as a teen!! …And the fact that the clothes were on sale too!

Thin, the black bean chilli soup sounds delicious! I’ll have to re-check the SH recipe thread to copy that recipe! I’d like to start relying on soup from the freezer instead of from the LaZuppa package!

I trust that you Thin and the others who all fasted synchronistically on the one day, fared well and feel healthier and slimmer in the aftermath!

I’m fasting tomorrow and am looking forward to my evening start for that, which will be in about a half hour when I’ll be taking my final supplements for the evening.

CharlotteRose – the recipe with the sweet potato in it is my favourite too – I have a bit of a soft spot for sweet potato and I look for any excuse to add it to recipies. When I can get fresh corn, I strip the kernels from 1 cob and add them to the mix as well – it adds more texture to the cooked slice. You can also turn this recipie into a tuna slice – just replace the bacon with a well-drained 400g tin tuna (the finished slice will taste very different from the original version).

JodyW – I hear you on the custard filled donuts. I never met a custard I didn’t like. I have been known to buy a custard tart, eat the filling with a spoon then throw the unappealing soggy pastry away – I usually treat vanilla slices the same way. Now don’t get me wrong, I do like pastry – when it’s made and baked properly and a lot of commercial bakeries do a pretty poor job of it. I figure if I don’t waste calories on the things that aren’t wonderful, it leaves more scope for things that are.

Isn’t it gorgeous when you get a top out of the wardrobe that you have not worn for quite a while and wow, it is loose on you!
    Feeling good.😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊

Well I have to admit, this morning was a bit of a let down for me. As it’s the 1st of the month it’s weigh-in day. I lost the grand total of 0.3kg in February. I’m trying to be OK about it, but I am feeling a bit peeved actually.

I’ve looked back over my food/calorie records and done some comparisons. In January my average calorie intake was approx 1150 per day and I lost 6.1kg (although I know most of it was water weight as it was my first month on the diet). In February my average calorie intake was approx 1100 per day and I lost 0.3kg. In fact the last 2 weeks of February I ate less than 7000 calories per week for each of those 2 weeks.

As a retired statistician I expect to be able to make sense of the numbers, I find it rather frustrating when I can’t. I do understand that while there is a reliable relationship between calorie reduction and loss of body fat, that is not necessarily reflected in body weight as it includes a lot more than body fat (bone, organ, muscle, fluid …)

The biggest complication for me at the moment is an increase in inflammation levels. Both knees are 2cm larger than last month and my fingers are currently so swollen I can’t close them into a fist. Coupled with an increase in joint pain, it tells me that my inflammation levels are higher than they were a month ago, which means more fluid retained around each joint. The reality is that the increased inflammation is more of a worry than the small weight loss – if my inflammation levels aren’t controlled then I may risk losing access to my current treatment drug for RA (something I can’t really bear to contemplate).

Well, that’s my whinge for the day. I know my diet was pretty good in Feb, so hopefully my weight will eventually reflect my efforts. Time to dust myself off and face the next month with a positive attitude. I’m using a lent commitment to help me increase my activity levels and I’m hoping the extra movement will help my joints.

I have a couple of favourite recipie sites that I check regularly. One is by a food blogger and cook – Lorraine Elliott. She reviews restaurants and cafes, tests and reviews other people’s recipies and also creates many of her own recipies. I have always found her recipies reliable ad I do trust them. (Her blog is called “NQN – Not Quite Nigella”, which has always amused me).

Well went I went to browse her blog today and what did find – today’s new recipie is a low oil zucchini slice! For those of you who want yet another option here is the link:
    http://www.notquitenigella.com/2017/03/01/zucchini-slice-recipe/

Happy cooking to those of you baking zucchini slices.

Good afternoon all,
    I have been a bit slack with foruming last week and will make up for it this week.
    FD last Thursday was an easy one then I skipped Monday for selfish reasons (it was hot and I wanted to have a beer after work) completing my FD on Tuesday during which I was grumpy all day and at night. I thought I better go to the green grocer for some salad ingredients to have with my regular soup as I was super hungry and thought I needed an extra meal. When I got home I thought of having a Vodka with soda and a piece of lime 300kj or 71 cals then told myself off and settled for a soda water with lime, very refreshing, after another one I had cooled done my mood had cooled down and my hunger had cooled down.

Went to Sydney last weekend for my cousin’s 40th, stayed in Coogee close to where she lives. Got a swim in on Friday, rained all day Saturday and got a swim in on Sunday before leaving for home just after lunch. Stopped at the surf shop to buy some new thongs and spotted some board shorts that I needed to have, they were a size smaller than my normal ones I have and tried them on and they fit perfect, made my trip to Sydney all the better with a new pair of boardys and a smaller size at that.

Charlotterose25 that’s the feeling you look forward clothes fitting you differently having to get new stuff, it’s the best.

JodyW your lifestyle is changing with this Way Of Life knocking back a doughnut you would normally look forward to, it’s a great feeling when you notice it and it is the little things that change, no more snacking between meals, better thought out meals, smaller portions just little changes happen naturally here and there and bang your eating totally different to how you would before 5:2ing.

Bayleafoz congrats on the water fast. I still won’t plan on doing it again but maybe later on it might be an option. Did you have to burst through that 9.30pm time until you realized you were not getting to eat tonight?

Thinatlast I don’t know what minestrone your eating to be bland I think mine is called Country ladle and I find it bursting with flavour. I used to do the frittata’s with 2 eggs (60g eggs 376kj or 90cals) and three egg whites (3 egg whites is around 100g 197kj or 47cals) I found the whole eggs added flavour.

Meals for last Thursday:
    1 x white coffee 150kj, 500g minestrone soup 800kj Total 950kj or 227cals.

Meals for Tuesday:
    1 x white coffee 150kj, 500g minestrone soup 800kj, 100g kidney beans in the soup 400kj Total 1350kj or 322cals.

Today’s fast is going very well! This is from someone who realized she hadn’t fasted since 11 Feb! Thank goodness for ‘wiggle room’!

Joffy, your visit to Sydney sounded delightful, especially discovering you now fit into the smaller sized board shorts!

…And on that note, or rather conversely, Charlotterose, that you found clothes in your closet that are now very loose! Woohoo to being able to fit into smaller sizes!

LJ, that makes perfect sense that the lack of weight/scale results would be the result of your body retaining extra water due to an inflammation flare up. ‘Ouch’ to any pain that may be associated. …I have autoimmune flare ups too with my Hashimotos and these can be triggered by a number of factors. Thankfully I’ve been able to pinpoint and eliminate some (such as gluten), though not all and I too can have waves of symptoms. Here’s to your inflammation easing.

I’m now attempting to work out when I might be able to fit in a second FD for this week!?!?

As I mentioned earlier I’m having some real inflammation issues at present. I don’t use anti-inflammatories often as they make my blood pressure rise if I stay on them for more than a few days. So I only dig them out when I’m really desperate. I took one mobic tablet at 2pm – now 8 hours later the swelling in my fingers has reduced so much I can actually make a proper fist with both hands – not without pain but certainly more bearable than it was this morning. It’s not a permanent solution of course, but I’m hoping that a few days of reduced inflammation will help me get my activity levels up, which usually also helps me lower my inflammation levels. I’m hopeful this will help me turn the corner with my symptoms – feeling more positive than I was this morning.

Good luck LJoyce, so difficult to have to balance between medication and pain and the limitations it puts of everything you do. Fingers crossed that after a few days you can do without the medication easily…. and with all the swelling and inflammation gone (or down), you will get a better reading of your weight.

So lovely to read of the good clothes stories! And all the veggie slices! And that you were having a lovely fast day Minka! I had a good fast day yesterday too, and I am enjoying my breakfast and cup of tea now.

I have another busy day so best wishes everyone and I will love you and leave you!

Hi all – have been AWOL for a while now but am happy to report I had a successful FD on Tuesday and am going well for FD today. Happily, even though I was AWOL and struggling with FDs for some unknown reason, I have only put on 2kg so hope to shift that pretty quickly.

Thank you Joffy for your support when I last posted – when in the supermarket I did look at 13 tubs of butter to visualise what I had lost and was pretty chuffed but couldn’t seem to be disciplined enough to fast. However, hopefully that’s behind me now and I am back into the swing of things. I have been lurking so have kept up with you all.

Cheers all

Finally got my new Fitbit Scales up and running a few days ago after hours of stress trying to get them to connect to home nbn wifi that i just had installed at home last week. Id read that they were a pain to set up so the forum posts i read weren’t kidding.
    My tolerance for setting up IT stuff or fixing IT that stops working isnt that great at the best of times it just frustrates me to the max. But i did manage to sort out my daughters ipad which refused to update or download for about 6 months now so proud of myself for sorting that one although not quite sure what i did to fix it !!
    Struggling with fast days this week and being healthy in general. Family hassles have led me to take solace in a few glasses of red each night, some beers, food snacking and minimal exercise. This is the first time ive been craving unhealthy food and alcohol since starting 5:2. The ‘hassles’ are going to linger for quite awhile so i really need to get myself into a better head space so i dont slip back into old habits. I was so happy fitting into size 10 earlier this week i dont want to lose that feeling but im struggling.

Good afternoon, I’m having a little quiet time between minding a nearly 3yo this morning, and minding my miss 2yo this afternoon.

Welcome back Wwall! I hope that 2kg is gone within a couple of weeks. I hope you can work out what has made FD’s a struggle so that you can avoid it happening again. It is amazing how many different things can make it hard! And the best trick is to be able to fit it sustainably into your life.
    Anyway, take it slowly and step by step, and allow us to cheer you on!
    I hope today is going well!

Same to you Gday. Family stress is so hard, whether it is the family around you, the family you grew up in, or the inlaws! Hopefully those glasses of wine and dreadful foods have helped you get through, and that soon you can wean yourself off the old habits and get back into the new ones that will help you better long term.

PS You are my IT hero! Congratulations on those IT successes!

Hi all – happy to report that I successfully completed 2nd FD yesterday albeit went to bed a little early! It seems I am back on track to continue on with this WOL.

Thanks for your support Cinque – I don’t really know why I struggled so much when I was so chuffed to have lost the weight but think that perhaps I got a bit ahead of myself and was disheartened when I hit a perceived plateau. In reality, it was probably just my body adjusting and I am now aware of a possible failure trigger.

Hope all went well for you Gday. Know that you are not alone and we all have a struggle some times but this WOL is forgiving and it is possible to regain lost ground.

Happy fasting all

GdayfromSA, I also have the Fitbit scales and you will both love and hate them. You’ll love that you can’t hide from your weigh ins, you will also hate that you can’t hide from your weigh ins. You will love it when it doesn’t recognise you because you’ve lost 5kg, you’ll hate it when it recognises you even though you’ve gained 2kg. One great thing I noticed properly this week was the Fitbit app tells you the weekly average weight, and I’ve just seen it’s been going down steadily since I started 5:2. So while I feel I’m not losing weight at all, I can see I actually lost 0.5kg off my average last week.

LJoyce, I never thought of not eating the pastry, or only eating things that are wonderful. Great tip.

I got “the FastDiet Cookbook” in the mail today. I actually forgot I ordered it. The contrast to “the Fast Day Cookbook” is massive. I don’t really identify with the latter. It’s written entirely by the American Mimi Spencer, the recipes just seem a bit too American for me, a bit too processed and a bit short on green. The FastDiet Cookbook though is written with Dr Sarah Schenker (don’t know where she’s from) and it emphasises fresh, green, healthy foods. Just about every page has a picture of a dish with a lot of green. I’ve been to the US once for just three short days, and twice I got offered a packet of potato chips as a “vegetable?” side dish to a meal where the potato chips would’ve been the only “vegetable” in the meal. One of which was a (white bread) sandwich, I mean really? Simple high GI carbohydrates on top of simple high GI carbohydrates? Then on the third day, I discovered Mexican food made by Mexicans, barely resembled the “Mexican” we get here in NZ, fresh delicious green and healthy it was. Barely a gram of grated cheese in sight.

I’m coming to rely on butter or tandoori chicken a bit much on fast days. I really want to be cooking something else as well. I just make the chicken with free range chicken thigh, spoonful of tandoori or butter chicken paste, yoghurt, and lots of veges. So it’s pretty low calorie (<300 I estimated) and tastes amazing, and it’s simple, but it’s probably not good to have it every fast day. So I’m looking forward to some great new recipes to make. I bought this great little Ecopot cooker, just enough space for a meal for one, you just put ingredients in switch it on and leave it. It cooks by sensor and when it decides it’s cooked, goes into Warm mode. One of the best kitchen gadgets I ever bought, I probably cook about 50% of my meals in there these days. I was sick of burning stuff on the gas hob.

Hi all

Hope you are all having a good day FD or otherwise. I had a FD yesterday and will do another one tomorrow and again on Monday. The reason I’m doing 3 in 5 days is because today and Sunday have some high sugar/fat challenges. Tonight I’m going to a dessert & chocolate tastings supper as a birthday celebration with my family and Sunday is high tea with my best friend. I want to enjoy both occasions and actually eat the things that I really like (I have no problem with not eating or not finishing things that aren’t wonderful.)

JodyW, glad you find the idea of focusing on the part of a treat that’s wonderful helpful. A few years ago I read a book called “French Women Don’t Get Fat”. It was a revelation, as it was the first book I’d read about weight that didn’t see food as the enemy and apply lots of restrictions about what you shouldn’t eat. It’s description of the vital role that food plays in the way we bond with family and friends (even over a normal evening meal) really rang true for me. The attitude in this book was that you eat a small amount of many foods not huge portions of a few things. That you buy fresh and seasonal and take the time to really enjoy the flavours. That you celebrate the role that sharing food plays in your bonds with other people. It really reinforced the concept that food should be a joy, if it’s not why am I eating it? I often ask myself whether what I’m eating is worth the calories and often the answer is no – I’d rather save the calories for something I really want and not make do. The problem for me with making do is that I can eat a lot of calories but on some level I’m still not satisfied if I didn’t eat what I really wanted – for me this often leads to binge eating.
    Hopefylly you find some great new recipies for your FDs in your new book. I like tandoori too, but I use lamb. I take 2 lean lamb loin chops and marinate them in 1 tblsp Patak’s tandoori paste + 2 tblsp natural yoghurt, then grill (I use an airfryer but you can put it under a grill) and serve with a salad.

I’m on day 3 of my lent commitment of adding extra activities to my daily life. So far so good. It’s been helpful that this is a daily commitment as it stops me telling myself it won’t matter if I miss a day. I already feel a little better for the yoga that I’ve started doing again after many weeks of not doing any. My balance and flexibility have both gotten worse since I stopped doing it, hopefully I can regain some of this.

Happy Friday evening everyone.

Finished work at 3.30 and then had an hour long deep tissue massage to push out the stresses that i can feel building up in my body. Wow there were certainly some tight muscles. This is my second massage since xmas so thinking will have one every 6 weeks as part of my new healthy lifestyle change.

Feeling a bit more positive today had some unexpected support from a work colleague regarding my family hassles – it was so comforting to be asked ” are you ok” and then provide a listening ear and advice. Thanks to all on the forum for your support too i certainly appreciate it.

Have planned a day out tomorrow with my daughter at the local pool. Packing a picnic lunch, a good book and plenty of pool toys. Really looking forward to it.

My next fast day can wait for a few more days yet. Im really happy with how far ive come to date so im ok with a bit of time off to regroup.

Take care all and enjoy your weekend πŸ™‚

Good morning lovely Southern Hemispherites,
    I had a busy week containing lots of under-three-year-olds and not the best sleep, so I am glad to wake up today after a reasonable sleep, and I can tidy up the house, and hopefully do a lot of gardening. (It is hot here and I have seedlings to plant, but maybe if I rig that big old tablecloth up to shade them….)

Wwall, I hope things are still going well. It is so easy to get ahead of ourselves and then be disappointed if we are not quite on that trajectory! Even though I know that I want 5:2 to be my way of life, and I want to make it sustainable, there is still part of my brain that thinks I am working hard for a while and then I will be able to tick it off and not have to think of it again! Yes it is forgiving. Hooray!

Jody I am glad that cookbook looks so good! I just checked my library but they haven’t got it yet. I agree with you about the presence of green!
    I had never heard of an ecopot! What a smart little saucepan.

LJoyce aren’t you wonderful, negotiating your way through those social engagements. I hope the chocolate tastings were delicious!

Haven’t we grown up with strange social ideas and expectations regarding how we eat and what we look like. It is such a relief when we get a good sensible look at normality, like in the ‘French Women don’t get Fat’ book. My first wake up was way back in the day when I read Susie Orbach’s book ‘Fat is a Feminist issue’.

I’ve been going really well with planning my meals better, and sticking to my plans. I didn’t manage it yesterday, and it was a good reminder of what chaos I descend into! (I couldn’t descend too far in one day thank goodness!). I’ll get planning today, and it is fast day tomorrow. How lovely it is to live a life full of new days!

Gday, how lovely to have a good deep massage! What an excellent way to end a working week! And I am so glad you’ve had support from your work mate. Enjoy the pool!

Best wishes to everyone!

We’re bracing for several 38C+ days here in the west. I’ll be under house arrest in the air-con.

GDSA, a massage is a great reward for weight loss. I found a little hole in the wall close to home where they have some young Chinese lads who really get stuck in. I much prefer that to the foo foo day spa where a giggly girl gives you a bit of a rub down with some aromatic oils while boring you to sleep with her life history. It’s also less than half the price so I don’t feel quite as guilty as when it cost $120.

Laughing about the Mexican food in NZ Jody. Mexican restaurants in Australia are all TexMex and with some very strange added ingredients (beetroot). TexMex is also what’s commonly served along the US/Mexican border but the deeper you get into Mexico, the more authentic the food. There was a great little dive at the end of my street near the border called Alberto’s run by illegal aliens. Fast food had a completely different meaning to me back then! We regularly went south of the border for dinner in Tijuana and got to know some great restaurants there – not just Mexican.

You’ll find Australia exactly the same as the US wrt finding a restaurant serving low carb, healthy meals. In fact most eateries around the world seem to think everything has to be served between two chunks of bread with a huge side order of chips or wedges. Salads are so unimaginative that I rarely order one even though that’s what I’d love. I miss Southern California for readily available, simple raw food. My family’s favourite Italian place has offered the same three salads for the decade we’ve been frequenting it! I’ve yet to find anyone in Perth that knows how to make a proper Caesar salad (in Tijuana, our regular French restaurant had chefs making them at your table which is the only way to serve them).

Hence, we eat at home most of the time where I have more control and don’t have to waste so much food. Not that I’ve done particularly well with my nonFDs lately but thank goodness for FDs which are my anchor. No matter what happens on the other five, I know I’ll always stick to my FDs. I look forward to them. I sometimes think it’s an odd way to live but it works so well.

Well done to all who’ve enjoyed losses or battled demons this week. As for me, I’m teetering on the brink of my ‘trigger weight’ and hoping to do better next week.

As you know I went to a dessert and chocolate supper last night – there’s a chocolatier & cafe near where I live that opens Friday & Saturday nights just to serve desserts & chocolates. I have to admit, I’m feeling a bit shocked about how the night went. I went into it having given myself permission to enjoy myself and eat what I wanted without guilt. I managed to get through yesterday, including the desserts & chocolate and still stay well under my TDEE – I added the number up 3 times as I didn’t quite believe it (the whole day was approx 1,300cal). I did eat very little during the day – I ate just one small meal late afternoon so that I would go into the evening with my hunger blunted. I had planned to have the dessert platter – these have 1 whole dessert, a small taste of 4-5 desserts, 2 macaroons & 6 truffles. However I didn’t like the idea that the staff chose what went onto the platter, there are high calorie items I wanted them to be things I knew I’d love. I wanted to choose my own tastes, so instead of the platter, I chose 2 desserts that appealed to me the most (a raspberry blondie and a pistachio green tea cheesecake). I had one bite of the blondie, decided it wasn’t worth the calories and then offered it around for everyone to taste. The pistachio cheesecake was absolutely amazing. As I savoured each mouthful I found that the first 3 spoonfuls were absolutely incredible, but that sensation faded quickly with each spoonful. So I ate 2/3 then handed it around for others to taste. I also had a spoonful of several desserts that others had ordered. My old habits would have had me eating everything on my plate, regardless of whether I was enjoying it (in fact I probably wouldn’t have even been aware of whether I was really enjoying it or not). I hadn’t noticed before how quickly the taste sensation can change from “absolutely wonderful” to “just another mouthful”. I thought – “I don’t think I want any more of this” and then tried to make sense of a though that felt quite foreign to me. I handed the remaining dessert around before I could change my mind.

This experience has reinforced how important it is for me to eat slowly, take the time to taste every mouthful, make my own choices and not be dictated to by old habits.

To round off a lovely evening my cousins gave me a spa treatment voucher for my birthday. I often give this type of gift to others but never seem to spend money on these things for myself, so it feels like a wonderful treat.

LJoyce, what a lovely feeling and a lovely lesson for us all to take notice of! Congratulations!
    I was glad to see your post here this morning, because my computer said it was there last night, but I couldn’t see it.

Thin, Oh that heat! Hooray for air conditioning.

I remember a friend saying ‘All Mexican food tastes the same!’ Because in Victoria (as well as the rest of Australia!) in the nineties it was all beans and cheese with a wheat or corn soft or crispy thing. Luckily I got a gorgeous book out of the library going through all the regions of Mexico and the wonderful array of dishes and cuisines. Unfortunately so many of the ingredients were/are not known here.
    But I have some great recipes (that may be more TexMex than Mexican) and a good friend who is from New Mexico and a chef! And I have had the pleasure of some of his food.

Today is my fast day. It is a warm grey morning, which is great for the seedlings I planted yesterday evening. I’m going to henna my hair and keep catching up on getting organised. I think it is another busy week ahead, and I am behind with emails again!

Best wishes to everyone, I hope you can make today a good day!

Cinque, I was also confused by the forum saying LJ was the last to post on this thread all evening – yet there was just a spam post (reported) after mine. This happened last week with one from you too. My favourite Mexican dishes are seafood based and I love how they cook food wrapped in banana leaves and corn husks. Do you have a new venue for your cafe? How’s it all going?

LJ, it sounds like 5:2 is helping to shape your food habits for the better. Well done for exercising so much restraint.

The temp has been revised down to 37C, that doesn’t seem quite so bad but I think I’ll do an hour on my treadmill instead of walking outside in the sun and humidity this morning.

Hope all the Sunday fasters are having a good day so far.

Hi Cinque, Thin I am joining you again today for an FD. For the next two weeks my FD’s will be Sunday & Thursday as I am doing a coaching course to enable me to mentor young adults. My daughter in law talked me into it. The course is worth a few thousand but because I am volunteering my time for the next 8 months they pay for it and I guess they hope that people will continue past that. 😱

Finished one of my cake courses and of course had to sample my efforts. It was so sickly with all the ganache and royal icing but it was good. Oh well that’s life and then there’s 5:2 our saviour. Start another cake this week, oh dear!!!!!!

Weight is fairly constant, when I’m not eating cake, so happy with that.

Lots of rain making it unpleasant but not cold.

GdaySA must feel good to have someone at work notice and support you

LJoyce you are doing an amazing job with all that socialising happening. Well done.

Hi Merry, hope all is well.

Minka have you started your new job, how is it going?

Hello fellow Southern Hemispherites!

Intesha, The cakes that you baked and sampled, I’m envisioning as decorated themed cakes, am I on the right track?!? I too have difficulty resisting beautifully presented works of art that are food and why not sample if it is something I’ve created?! I would have sampled and enjoyed too! I’ve adopted your motto of 5:2 being the way we can have our cake and eat it to, meaning we can indulge and look svelte!

Thank you too for enquiring about my work progress Intesha! It just so happens that yesterday I just completed my first shift in the new position and slipped in an unplanned FD at the same time (which means was first time in a month that I fit a second FD in a week!) I just wasn’t so hungry while working and counted calories when I got home and realized that the total qualified as a FD so went with it! The co-worker who was helping to train me on this first shift commented that our employer was really throwing me in the deep end by putting a newbie like me on this shift. Thankfully all went well and I didn’t find it overwhelming, taxing or perplexing. In many respects I found the work rewarding and delightful!

LJ, your strategy of handing around parts of desserts sounds like an excellent way of approaching such a social outing! Like Intesha, you too were having cake and eating too, which like I said is the 5:2 way as far as I’m concerned. In other words, no forbidden foods.

I’m glad it is a bit cooler than expected today. Are you fasting today with Cinque (don’t you both fast on Sundays)? …If so, good for you for both fasting and spending time on treadmill! Happy FD Cinque!

GDSA, I trust you are having a refreshing time at the pool, especially if it is one of those very hot days there like Thin reports about in Perth.

JodyW, my understanding was the Mimi Spencer is British and that she lives in the UK. I even remember her commenting in an article that she wrote once where she visited France and wrote ‘Thank God I’m a Brit…’ in tongue in cheek manner.

Yes I’m fasting Minka. My OH came home with a beautiful looking cauliflower yesterday so, even though I had plenty of soup frozen in portions, I’ve used the fresh one to make another batch today. I abandoned the treadmill idea as it was still fairly cool when I went out to water the garden so I decided to walk at the river instead.

Congratulations on starting your new job and an easy shift with a FD t’boot. Perhaps you’ll soon have your colleagues converted to 5:2.

Exactly what I thought as I read Intesha’s post – decorating her cake and eating it too! And why not? I hope you enjoy your new course Intesha – is it business mentoring, troubled adults or something else?

I hadn’t really thought of Mimi Spencer as being American, I only knew that she lives in my home town of Brighton which of course doesn’t exclude her from being American. But Jody, I’d also wondered whether you’d mixed her up with someone else because of the way you described her recipes.

Anyway you’ve both prompted me to re-visit the meal planners in the original Fast Diet book which Mimi Spencer co-authored with Dr M. I remember now that I hadn’t used them initially as they tended to be too high in calories for me. The photos show simple, healthy, fresh ingredients assembled on small plates. A closer inspection of the recipes reveals a lot of fish, eggs, fresh vegetables and berries. I’m really pleased that you’ve brought this up as now that I’m at maintenance and only eating two meals a day, they’d suit me really well.

I have another book with tips and recipes containing minimal fresh ingredients. It’s called, “The 5:2 Lifestyle” by Delphine De Montalier. I like it because, recognising that people don’t always have the time or inclination to spend hours in the kitchen on FDs, the recipes are written for double portions (500 cals) so you can have the same thing twice in one day or save a portion for another FD. Also, each ingredient’s cal content is listed so you can omit/substitute things.

Glancing through it, it asks, β€œDo you have trouble getting to sleep at night on Fast Days?”
    We found that the combination of protein and vegetables at dinner time could disturb sleep. This problem seems to be solved by adding a small amount of unrefined carbohydrates (brown rice or quinoa). In effect, carbohydrates stimulate the absorption of certain proteins that are used to make serotonin, a neurotransmitter that helps promote the sleep cycle.

I don’t have this problem but I’ve read posts from people who do so maybe that’s worth considering.

Wo Thin, Just making my soup with protein and vegetables! Given I have such insomnia I will add complex carbs next fast day! Maybe even a little something tonight!
    I’m glad the weather was kind enough to give you your walk by the river!

Minka congratulations and hooray for your first work shift! It sounds like it will be a good fit even with everything else you have going on!

I’ve had a good fast day thankyou, and it is 6:30 now so the pleasure of my soup! I’m slurping as I type.

Intesha, what a wonderful mentor you will be. What a precious thing to be able to offer. I hope it is a very enjoyable course.
    I bet it was lovely to eat your beautiful cake. I wish it was easier to unobtrusively leave most of the icing though! Lovely to look at but too much to eat!
    I hope you have had a lovely fast day today!

Hi all SHs

Sorry about this fasters – I’m just home from a very decadent high tea. It was lovely, although a bit too much pastry for my liking – pasty tends to cause acid reflux issues for me. The big difference between the food today and last Friday night was choice. I got to make my own choices on Friday and today I didn’t and I found Friday easier. High tea comes with lots of variety but you don’t choose your own elements so I was faced with different decisions today. I actually found it more difficult to decide what to eat and what to leave today – there was limited opportunity to offer things to my best friend as we both had the same things on our plates already. I ended up leaving some things that I know I don’t love (like macaroons) and I ate the lemon curd out of the tart and left the pastry shell.

I’m sitting at about 1100 calories so far today, so scope for dinner later if I actually feel like it.

Tomorrow’s another FD. I get a few days of normality before the celebrations start again next weekend. I’m planning lots of veg and lean protein this week to make up for the fact that most of my weekend calories seem to be coming from fat and sugar.

I hope we get some cooler weather in SA soon – I’m missing veggie soups.

Take care all. I think I need to go for a walk now it might help with my digestion.

How did it work LJoyce? I thought a high tea would have all the treats laid out in splendor and everyone would just pick what they fancied.

The tip Thin read led me to eat a little unrefined carbs which made my fast day a little less fasty, but on the other hand, I slept okay.
    I think I will change my soup on fast day evenings to a small bowl of soup that does have chickpeas or something in it. The era of miso soup might be over!

Enjoy your fast day today LJoyce, and anyone else who is fasting!

Bummer, totally lost everything I had typed. Hi all, haven’t been here for a while, but I do read your posts everyday. I too like Mexican and I have found a place called Mexicali at the Mount that is fresh, gluten free and paleo. My new favorite place.
    I reached a new milestone today, the scales where below 110kg for the first time. I am celebrating with another fast day to try to cement the new low in and stop the scale “bounce” that happens. They bounce as much as 2kg in 24 hours. All the scales fault of course, nothing to do with meπŸ˜‰.
    Wheat is my nemesis, it causes inflammation in all my joints but lately I have noticed that sugar does the same thing and it might be worse. One day I will have to decide if the discomfort is actually worth it. Happy fasting everyone.

Fantastic Pint well done! Your plane seat will seem huge! And well done for going for another FD instead of what we might have all done in the past, rewarding with food.

Cinque, glad you slept OK with a little added carb. Reading that paragraph reminded me of the value of eating a balanced diet. With all the messages of don’t eat this and that food group, it’s easy to forget the relationships that they have on one other in inhibiting or promoting absorption of other nutrients.

I love Mondays! Frothy coffee. A cooler than expected start to a hot day. Thoughts of how to eat mindfully for the next two days. Cinque, I won’t be fasting with you on Sunday due to a family birthday but I’ll perhaps be joining Minka when I switch to Saturday.

Morning all – it’s a mild overcast day here in Adelaide. I’m hoping we get a little rain by tomorrow as it’s been taking me 2hours per night to water the garden over the last week (it still takes me 4-5 days to cover the whole block).

Cinque – most high teas I’ve been to provide a carefully counted number of each food item, so that there is one of each item per person (some places do provide extra scones). This means you can choose to leave things that you don’t want, but you can’t politely eat more than 1 of anything without checking with the others there as it means some else doesn’t get to try that item at all. I went with my best friend so our 3 tiered serving plate arrived with 2 each of 5 different savoury items (each one was the size of 2-3 mouthfuls and most were pastry based)and 2 each of 5 different mini sweets (each one was 1-2 mouthfuls each) I did end up trading some items with my friend as we have quite different taste preferences in sweet things. I went to the same venue last December for a high tea with my book club and swapping items for those you liked was easier with more people as there’s a lot more variety in peoples taste preferences in a larger group. This particular venue has a dessert trolley that comes around after you’ve finished the food served and each person can choose another large plate full of desserts, including many that weren’t part of what we’d been served already – This adds $10 to the cost of the high tea. (Their basic high tea is $39 which is the cheapest around so the extra $10 isn’t a rip-off.) When I went there last December, despite feeling full I did get the extra plate of desserts, yesterday I did not.

I’m feeling a bit woolly headed today from a lack of sleep, but I’m thankfully not hungry as it’s a FD for me. I have some zucchini, mushrooms, asparagus and a fresh corn cob to put onto the griddle plate for dinner and I’ll head into the back garden and pick a few blackberries to have as well.

LJ, I don’t know how you do it. I found it quite stressful just reading about how YOU navigated that high tea! I tend to avoid those situations altogether as, even at $39, I would be conflicted between wanting to get my money’s worth and not wanting to over-indulgence on carby treats. It’s up there with cruising and buffet dinners! I’d calmed right down by the time I got to your para about asparagus, mushrooms and fresh berries! Enjoy your fast day. I’m going to try and eat healthier this week, my nonFDs are all over the place.

Hi Thin – I just got back inside from fighting with the blackberry thorns – I think I won the battle I have 2 cups of ripe blackberries and a few scatches for good measure.
    You are not wrong about the stress of facing a 3 tiered selection of goodies. The reason I found yesterday much harder than Friday night actually helped me understand how I react to different food situations. On friday I made the decision about what to have then selected and paid for those things – so I had done the process of what I was willing to forego before facing the food and I only paid for what I chose to order. Yesterday the selection of food was made for me and I paid for it even if I chose not to eat some things. The difficulty was: 1. It was paid for and not eating it would be wasting food; 2. I was tempted to taste every item because otherwise I’d be missing a flavour I might enjoy; 3. It was sitting right in front of me and it I can see it I feel compelled to eat it. This says a lot about the food messages I grew up with and also my own ingrained behaviours. While it was a challenge I did actually learn more about myself and it gave me some ideas about how handle food decisions in social situations.
    As to the carb content – I have never had blood sugar issues or insulin resistance so I don’t avoid carbs and have no issues including them in my diet. However the type of refined carbs that I ate over the weekend are not part of my normal diet, I mainly choose whole unprocessed carbohydrate foods that give me plenty of fibre.

LJ, I can identify with what you wrote. I know how it feels to see all that food beautifully displayed right in front of you. When I was losing weight with 5:2, I was much better disciplined. I find maintenance more of an effort. Fortunately, I’m not often faced with the challenge as we’re within walking distance of a lot of cafes so my neighbours and I are content to walk down the road just for a coffee.

I’m not an advocate for eliminating anything completely, but I do see merit in cutting right back on sugar regardless of blood sugar readings just because it’s so addictive and it offers little in the way of nutrients. My OH believes that, because his blood sugar readings are WNL and he’s very slim, sugar is not a factor. It’s a difficult conversation. Enjoy those blackberries!

Bay, are you out there? Are you doing your sugar-free lent?

Viewing 50 posts - 10,701 through 10,750 (of 28,007 total)

You must be logged in to reply.