Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,904 replies, has 831 voices, and was last updated by  Lindsay L. 9 hours, 54 minutes ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 10,651 through 10,700 (of 28,008 total)

• Cinque I hope I still have youth! I do online surveys sometimes and I always choose the “young, single, living alone” option on the survey, because age is a state of mind, right? I don’t feel middle aged, and peopel usually just about fall over when I tell them I’m over 40. Thanks for the ๐Ÿ’๐ŸŒท๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒบ๐ŸŒผ here are some more.

I read Buttonboot’s story, that was great, and amazing. She started at 140kg and now she’s down below 90. I hope she’s okay though, in the end she’s got bronchitis and seems really unwell. If she can lose all that weight, with all those medical problems unable to exercise, and a German mother trying to feed her cake at every turn, I think we all can manage it.

It inspired me to get my new spiraliser out of the cupboard tonight, and make courgettini to go under my butter chicken tonight. I can’t wait to eat it, well it is after 9pm. I was so tired earlier I tried to have a little nap, didn’t work but I feel better for the lie down.

Morning all. Hope everyone is motivated to face another Monday, should be a great week ๐Ÿ™‚

…on Macadamia nuts. My cousin has a Macadamia farm near Byron Bay – we still have a few left over from last time we visited (left there with about 9kg of them!) Having them in their shell, where you need to crack them yourself before eating them, really slows things down! (they are still yummy though)

I’ve been doing an interesting exercise for the last few days… we’ve had a bit of a discussion on Thermodynamics, and I know a few people here are big fans of Dr Fung, so I paid closer attention to what he had to say on it all in his book Obesity Code (he makes a strong argument for calorie reduction being irrelevant)… at least it sounds pretty strong until you actually go and read the studies he references to back up his points.

For anyone who believes that calories don’t matter and that Dr Fung has all the answers, I encourage you to read the studies he references for yourself and draw your own conclusions. While I think he has a lot of great things to say on hormones and some effects of insulin, cortisone etc. his logic behind calories is severely flawed IMHO and the conclusions he draws from these studies to make his points are not the conclusions I get from reading the same studies (I’ll leave it at that).

To get you started, here’s a link to the Women’s Health Initiative Dietary Modification Trial:
    http://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/202138

It’s a study that many of you will find interesting, even outside this discussion. It was a massive study of 50,000 post-menopausal women over 7 years, that aimed to see if there was any weight gain over time when following a lower-fat, higher-carbohydrate diet.

Whether you’ve read Dr Fung’s book or not (he references this study in Ch3 The Calorie – Reduction Error, ‘Eating is not under conscious control’) I’d be interested to hear what you get from reading this study.

…and I encourage everyone to read some studies and verify conclusions for yourself before taking anything as gospel, no matter how many letters they have after their name.

Good morning everyone,
    My ugg boots are still on! 17C high yesterday Thin, which feels wonderfully warm at the end of winter, but is quite a shock in February.
    Porridge cooking for breakfast.

Yes Jody you are so so youthful! And the wonderful attitude to go with it!

Vaderz that is a great study you linked.
    I wish, when the research came out to say saturated fats aren’t as bad as previously thought, everyone didn’t presume that meant lots of fats!

Re hunger: when I was a kid hunger was such an easy natural feeling!
    I quite blame sugar (and probably my gut biome) for having that artificial desire to eat.
    Certainly, especially on fast day afternoons, I get the weakness and lack of concentration, but since it DOES go in waves and I am quite distractable, it is probably only level 1 out of 10 hunger.

Well, I am off to face Monday morning! Best wishes everyone, and cheers to people who are fasting today.

Yeah, it’s funny temperature perception. I turned the electric blanket on last week, looked at the temperature and it was 20′ in my bedroom. It had been so hot before that, up to about 34’C for a couple of weeks. I live in Gisborne I wish I lived in Tauranga, I love it there, I just need a job.

I’ve had a sore throat since Friday, and I’m getting angular cheilitis (split corner of mouth) too. Dr Google was very helpful, told me they’re classic symptoms of HIV! I’m pretty sure it’s not. I wonder if I’m deficient in a B vitamin, I also saw something about ketosis flu, and then another thing suggested drinking some salt water. So I took a Berocca and a drink of my aforementioned salt solution, and I feel much better today, and my cheilitis is also less sore. I can’t help thinking it’sgot something to do with 5:2 because I’ve never had that combination of symptoms before.

Oh and I forgot to say well done to Joffy for completing the water (er coffee and water) fast. Well done, we’re all very proud.

Hi all, hope you had a great weekend.
    Back to work for me today.

Had three good things happen yesterday.

Had planned to have a glass of wine and a home made Irish Cream in the spa yesterday (it being Sunday) which is my usual thing. Also had planned (also as it was Sunday – pasta day) to cook Spaghetti Bolognese. Thinking I would over pour my two glasses of Cab Merlot for the day, I set down 3 serves.

When I did my calorie count for the day, because my darling hubby had cooked me breakfast with toast, peanut butter, bacon and mushrooms – it meant that I would be 500 kj over my TDEE (which I’ve set at 7531 (1800 calories) for the FatSecret app).

First, I decided to forgo my Irish Cream
    Second, I decided to cook my mum’s fish dish (rice, tuna and skim white sauce) instead of spag bol
    Third, I decided to actually measure out my wine and only had two 150ml serves

Ended up 71% of my TDEE. Felt very pleased with myself. DIDN’T celebrate by eating some of my hubby’s chocolate covered almonds either!

Good afternoon everyone,
    Midway through a FD and rolling along great. I have had a very busy February in regards to weekends away with another trip this weekend to Sydney for a cousins 40th birthday. Staying in Coogee next to the beach so I will be enjoying the beach on Friday and Saturday morning. I have just returned from Bendigo for my son competing in Little Athletics for the Northern Country Region championships, he just missed out on a medal with a 4th place in high jump but he had a great time there. The week before we went to the Nitro athletics in Melbourne and got to meet Usain Bolt (my boy’s hero) and many other athletes including Sebastian Coe who was seated next to us.
    Cinque I did force myself to have 2 crumpets with cheese and vegemite at 5.30am before heading to work after my waterish fast. And speaking of vegemite,
    JodyW I used to get the same thing in the corner of my mouth when I was young, went to the doctor thinking I had a cold sore to which he said no it was a vitamin B deficiency and told me to have vegemite on something at least every week or so. It worked for my teenage daughter who could not eat vegemite until I made it on a vitawheat with cheese and it cured her.

*please note I am not a doctor and all problems should be checked with one. This information is from my own personal experience only.

Meals for my FD last Thursday:
    1 x white coffee 150kj, 1 x salad 300kj, 500g minestrone soup 800kj, 100g kidney beans in the soup 400kj Total1650kj or 394 cals.

Apologies if this is a repetition – I thought I posted but it seems to have disappeared.

I hope everyone had a good weekend. I did, but my husband’s team lost badly at Lawn Bowls Pennants.

Three good things happened yesterday:

As I’m obsessive compulsive, I have routines. Sunday’s routine is to have a glass of home made Irish Cream and a red wine in the spa and to have pasta for dinner. My plan was to cook Spaghetti Bolognese. I usually have two wines total – I figured I’d likely overpour so set it down in the tracker as 3 serves.

With this plan, I entered everything into my tracker – FatSecret. I discovered that, as my darling hubby had made me breakfast: toast, peanut butter, bacon and mushrooms; My plan would put me 500KJ over my TDEE (which for Fat Secret I’ve set at 7531kj (1800 calories)).

I decided then to:
    * Forgo my Irish Cream
    * Cook my mother’s ‘Fish Dish’ (tuna, rice and skim white sauce) instead of Spag Bol
    * Actually measure my red wine so that I only had two 150ml serves

Result:
    71% of TDEE

Very pleased with myself. Was tempted to but DIDN’T celebrate with a handful of hubby’s chocolate almonds!

Dammit. This is the third time I’ve tried to post this. I can’t find the previous posts. Hope it doesn’t appear 3 times.

I hope everyone had a good weekend. I did, but my husband’s team lost badly at Lawn Bowls Pennants.

Three good things happened yesterday:

As I’m obsessive compulsive, I have routines. Sunday’s routine is to have a glass of home made Irish Cream and a red wine in the spa and to have pasta for dinner. My plan was to cook Spaghetti Bolognese. I usually have two wines total – I figured I’d likely overpour so set it down in the tracker as 3 serves.

With this plan, I entered everything into my tracker – FatSecret. I discovered that, as my darling hubby had made me breakfast: toast, peanut butter, bacon and mushrooms; My plan would put me 500KJ over my TDEE (which for Fat Secret I’ve set at 7531kj (1800 calories)).

I decided then to:
    * Forgo my Irish Cream
    * Cook my mother’s ‘Fish Dish’ (tuna, rice and skim white sauce) instead of Spag Bol
    * Actually measure my red wine so that I only had two 150ml serves

Result:
    71% of TDEE

Very pleased with myself. Was tempted to but DIDN’T celebrate with a handful of hubby’s chocolate almonds!

Interestingly, CA, I received all three of your posts as emails. Even though there is only one post on the thread. Weird, hey! Well done. Cheers, Bay. ๐ŸŒบ๐ŸŒบโ˜€๏ธโ˜€๏ธ

Reading about people talking about skin – I’m reminded of a poem I wrote in 2006 about losing weight. It’ starts with a biblical quote which seemed appropriate for my older sister.

************We have a little sister and she has no breasts. What shall we do for our sister in the day when she is to be spoken for? (Song of Songs 8.8)

LITTLE DROOPING DAISIES

My breasts are shrinking.
    Not that I mind so much, but theyโ€™ve gone from roses to violets.

My sister has no breasts โ€“ they were large.
    Fights over brief, blue, bulging bikinis.
    A 70s dress half black, half green โ€“
    cut to the waist โ€“ skin everywhere!
    I wanted to be her.
    Not so much the breasts โ€“ the defiance.

But some things can change to scare you.
    Recently diagnosed, divorced, lately converted
    โ€“ the Anglicans could keep her safe.
    Her decision:
    โ€œCut them offโ€ she said โ€“ โ€œI have no need of them!โ€
    Did she think then it would be so long before the next man?

When I resolved to be beautiful again โ€“ nobody told me.

Weight Watchers talks about Pilates and nutritional panels.
    The fatter girls learn from age nine:
    ice cream is better than chocolate; popcorn is better than chips.

Still โ€“ they keep secrets.

No mention of the skin.
    You canโ€™t make the house bigger then shrink it back again.
    โ€˜Uโ€™ curve under the arm, the saddle bags and
    rolls around the tummy โ€“ evidence of sins never forgiven.
    Youโ€™re in it eternally.

Then thereโ€™s the breasts โ€“
    now little drooping daisies.

ยฉ Canberraangel 2006

Good evening everyone,

CAngel, that is a great poem.

Congratulations on those excellent decisions that led to eating under your TDEE.
    New routines maybe?

Jody I had so much vitamin B to try to cure those sores at the corner of my mouth and it didn’t make a difference. It turned out that I needed pawpaw ointment (or lip balm) on my lips to protect them from saliva that pooled there at night when I slept. Sigh, yes, dribble.
    (And personal experience ๐Ÿ˜‰ )

It seems unlikely that light fasting twice a week (or even three times) could result in vitamin deficiency and sore throat. Are you eating lots of fresh veggies? Anyway, I hope you recover from both of those nasty things quickly.

Joffy what fun things you are getting up to. Congratulations to your son too!
    Glad to hear about the crumpets.

Hi Bay, hi to Minka, I hope your life isn’t too hard at the moment! Sending best wishes! Hi to everyone else lurking. Hoping today was a good one, and if it wasn’t, look, there is tomorrow, ready to shine.

I read on the internet today that burning 3500 more calories than you consume will result in 1/2 kilo of weight loss.

I calculated that (if my food and exercise plan goes right) by the end of the week I’ll have consumed 10,190 less than I have consumed. That equals around 1.5 kg.

I don’t reckon that will work but I WILL weigh myself at the end of the week just to see.

Good morning fellow fasters,
    Completed FD and I have that fantastic morning after FD feeling and thinking of how to have my eggs this morning.
    I did have a moment in my brain last night just prior to dinner which is annoying. I had dinner at 7.30pm as I felt like it earlier than usual, as I was preparing dinner I was thinking if I’m hungry after this I will have more to the extent of calculating in my head what another can of soup was going to cost me in kj’s. This is the unreasonable hungry thinking that can happen and can lead to binging on other days. After I had my dinner I was again happy and satisfied with the amount of food eaten. Isn’t it strange you would think you were over these sort of mind games after four months of this WOL with all the control and will power we show twice a week but I guess not and I will have to keep on my toes for a while longer.

Dropped into a lower kg number today that I haven’t seen for a long time things are still on the downward slide nice and slowly. I will report at milestones when achieved.
    Meals for the day:
    1 x white coffee 150kj, 500g minestrone soup 800kj, 100g kidney beans in the soup 400kj Total 1350kj or 322cals.

Hi all,

I’m new to this forum, new to fasting and saw a topic full Southern Hemispherites, so I thought I’d pop my head in to say g’day.

Today is my first fast day and so I’m checking out websites and forums to a) distract myself from the hunger and b) to read motivational stories from people already succeeding with the diet. It’s proving to be quite effective.

Anyway, just popping in to introduce myself. I look forward to chatting with you more in the future.

Cheers,
    Brad

Hope everyone is having a great week. Seemed to cruise through my FD yesterday, day went by quickly, which was good.

Welcome Brad, I tend to read more on my FD’s too… make sure you drink plenty of water ๐Ÿ™‚

CA – 10,000 calorie deficit in a week seems crazy high – that’s the equivalent of fasting 6 days (average TDEE for women is 2000 calories, so that’s 14,000 total in a week)… I’d be double checking your calculations. A couple of things to keep in mind.

1. Make sure you choose the ‘sedentary’ option when calculating your TDEE if you are adding exercise calories to the total
    2. If you reduce your eating a lot, that’s going to reduce your TDEE as well (it’s already factoring in the amount of energy your body uses to digest your food, about 10% of the actual food calories)
    3. If you’re doing lots of exercise, then you probably aren’t moving as much throughout the rest of the day, meaning you don’t fully ‘save’ all those exercise calories
    4. What the equation tells you your TDEE is, could easily be off by 10-20% because it’s just an estimation.
    5. A few other things could happen here, such as your body sustaining higher levels of cortisol from the stress you’re putting it through which will likely lead to higher water retention and therefore not reflecting on the scale.
    6. 1-2 weeks is too short a time frame to look at anyway, the amount of water retention could fluctuate more than any weight loss.
    7. If you lose some lean muscle, then your overall weight loss will be lower AND you don’t lose as much fat (which is really what you want to lose).
    8. Some people prefer to believe that those numbers don’t matter at all anyway, so why bother.

…you really need to see how your body reacts to different things you put it through and take notice of those results rather than relying too directly on equations (in the 12 weeks that I’ve been doing 5:2 my total weight loss is tracking right on that of a 5000 per week calorie deficit… I haven’t been tracking my calories too closely, but with an average TDEE of 2500 over that time, 2 FD’s at 400c = 4200 saved (2x 2100), only leaves a 160c deficit per day for the remainder… it’s quite possible that I’ve averaged 2340 over my NFD’s, but that would be too crazy close to the spreadsheet being right, and we can’t have that ๐Ÿ˜‰

Personally, I’m happy with the degree of weight loss that I’m getting with 2 FD’s per week and an overall deficit of somewhere between 4000-5000 calories for the week, I don’t care where I am in that range, somewhere there is good. After 12 weeks I’m averaging -0.64kg per week, which is great. I’ve thought about what would happen if I wanted to speed things up and do 4 FD’s per week and for the extra hassle, increasing that weight loss to about 1.0-1.2 kg a week, just doesn’t seem worth it – have to remember this isn’t a race (I don’t mind FD’s, but I do like food, lol).

As I said, assuming everything goes to plan. This is how FatSecret measures all the food and exercise I plan:

Consumed Exercised Net
    Monday FD 534 2739 -2205
    Tuesday FD 496 2739 -2243
    Wednesday 1543 2767 -1224
    Thursday 1367 2763 -1396
    Friday 1337 2454 -1117
    Saturday 1569 2767 -1198
    Sunday 1689 2572 -883
    Minus stated WL /3,500 -2.933142857 lb
    -1.333246753 Kg

Remember I’m not weighing myself, but I’m actually happy if I get .5 per week. I am just measuring this because I’m interested to see if what it said on the internet about 3,500 being .5 kg is correct. Shock horror, I would NOT be surprised to learn that something said on the internet was not true.

I’m pretty sure your exercise is off… 2700 per day is about what you’d get doing a marathon and I’m pretty confident guessing that you’re not running a marathon every day.

…what exercise are you doing?

EDIT – looks like it is adding your TDEE to any exercise you’re doing (is that correct), what does it calculate your TDEE at?

Hi Brad, Welcome here!
    Nice to have a voice from the NT! I was up there years ago as a teacher.
    Woot for your first fast day!
    You will love waking up tomorrow morning!

Hi everyone else!
    I have decided to be a bit more structured on my non fast days as I was tending to overeat (I’d start and then find it hard to stop). So I am trying to be better at planning ahead, and clarifying (to myself ๐Ÿ˜‰ ) exactly what my portion sizes are.

Just when I thought I had that settled I got a date (next Monday) to give a presentation about my community food project. Hooray! The game is on! (as Sherlock says). So now I am excited and busy and food… oh that stuff I need for fuel? I’ll try and fit it in!

But I am going to finish the things I am cooking.
    I have the mushrooms soaking for this: http://carolynnsrecipebox.blogspot.com.au/2011/12/jamie-olivers-hamilton-squash.html
    I have cooked beetroot waiting for me to pickle them. And I have black beans soaking so I can make a big hearty soup. I’d like to put that off a couple of days, but it is partly to use up veggies, so I had better do that!

And ofcourse it is fast day tomorrow so I won’t be eating anything but my yummy miso soup (dashi thawing, shiitake mushrooms soaking, take the chicken out of the freezer in the morning).

Life! Crazy and wonderful!

Leaving all those calculations well alone CAngel and Vaderz, but wishing you good luck with them!

Thanks Cinque, the Darwin in my username isn’t the NT Darwin – I’m actually in Melbourne – it’s an homage to Charles Darwin ๐Ÿ™‚

Oh, that makes sense! Oh well, welcome anyway! ๐Ÿ˜‰
    I’m in Melbourne too!

No. It automatically adds in the calories consumed in resting and sleep. 2290. The brain uses more calories than any exercise. That’s the precise reason why we need a TDEE.

Sounds like a recipe for over-estimation to me ๐Ÿ™‚

My cross-trainer at home tries to tell me I can run 1km in about 3 minutes too (more like 6).

Anyway, the only way you’ll know is to look at your results over the next 8 weeks or so. 10,000 calorie per week deficit is a lot – a 90kg person would either need to be eating something like 700 calories a day (on average), or running at least 10km everyday (and still eating a little under TDEE)… both options sound equally unsustainable ๐Ÿ˜‰

Hi all, welcome Brad – hope the fasting is going well.

I’m 3 days into my planned week of eating just dinner. Although lower calories this week was part of the goal (as I have a lot of high calorie social events to deal with next week). I was also hoping to get in touch with my appetite. As I eat for so many reasons – eating just for hunger is not something I’m familiar with. I find it hard to distinguish between the desire to eat and genuine hunger. What I have found so far is that by 4pm I am actually feeling a little peckish, so if a cup of tea doesn’t tide me over until dinner time, I am having either a piece of fruit or a serve of dairy. Then dinner by 7pm. I have actually looked forward to my evening meal each day, felt hungry when starting to eat it, and really enjoyed the flavours in my meals. I’ve also felt quite full and satiated when I’ve finished dinner – this is never guaranteed for me as sometimes eating just cranks up the cravings for more food, but so far this week that hasn’t happened. I had counted on having some fruit for dessert, but so far I haven’t felt like eating it – it seems to fit better at 4pm. My daily calories seem to be falling in the 700-900 cal range, depending on what I’ve chosen for dinner (tonight it was roast lamb with 5 veg). I have considered doing 2 days at 500, but I don’t think I need that this week as my body is essentially getting a 20 hour fast every day. I’m quite hopeful that the rest of the week will go well too.

Well, obviously I know nothing about eating, exercise and recording it.

Weighed myself this morning – a few days early but I’ve been following the same pattern all week. I DIDN’T lose 1.3kg – I lost 1.4kg.

Damn that overestimation!

I think I’ll join a different forum.

That’s great that you lost 1.4kg CA – only trying to help, sounds like you’re off to a great start.

Good morning!
    Cheers for that loss CAngel!
    And LJoyce, what a great week you are having! So nice to hear about the healthy hunger appearing, and being satisfied.

Fast day for me today.
    Where are you Thin? (well, asleep still probably). I hope you are ok.

I did cook my stuffed pumpkin yesterday,(but the other things are waiting for this afternoon…. or tomorrow) and it was very nice to have some with my dinner, and 5 more portions in the fridge and freezer.

Best wishes to everyone for a good day today!

Good morning all,

CAngel – good loss, well done – congratulations!

All that ‘wandering around with numbers’, my words from a ME/CFS foggy brain, does my head, so I keep it really simple. We all find what I call our ‘best fit’ with 5:2. For some that’s how they work out what’s happening with Intermittant Fasting/cals/food/exercise/TDEE/measurements/forum support/doing it alone. This is all a big experiment IMHO, because we’ve not had a change like this in the Western food world, in a very long time. Changes for ill, yes, but not changes for good. The research on Intermittant Fasting, brought to us as ‘the population’ struggling with ill health and weight issues by Dr Moseley, has given us a ground floor opportunity to change our lives for the better like nothing else has. It’s relatively easy, it doesn’t cost anything, it saves money, it works for most people. However we decide to take part in this giant social experiment/movement, whatever you want to call it, it really doesn’t matter. As individuals we have to personally seek out what will work for us best. It has amazed me how different we are in our individual needs, across so many parameters. As a people watcher, or observer of social phenomena, I find the whole IF movement fascinating, and 5:2 in particular, because it gets right down to the grass roots. As individuals we’re pretty much our own experimenters. We can help each other – ask for advice, give advice, take or ignore or reject advice as we individually see fit for ourselves.

The important thing is that we have the opportunity to find what works for us as individuals. The forum throws up patterns e.g. The Hunger Dragon phenomena – It’s shown there’s a group of people who can eat any time of day on a FD and they’re fine. It’s also shown there’s a group of people where The Hunger Dragon wakes up as they eat their first food for the day whatever time of day, and these people do best eating 1 evening meal and some of them find there fit in not eating at all on FDs.

For me my best fit is this:

1. I have The Hunger Dragon – so I eat all my FD calories at the end of the day

2. I am forced by a severe chronic health challenge to be sedentary. I am mobile, but cannot exercise for health. Stairs and slopes are a challenge. So……my BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) is 1200 and TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) is 1440 – that’s just 240cals over my BMR. I use the BMR and TDEE on this forum website for consistency. I figure this is the site using Dr Moseley’s advice on 5:2 so I’ll use the BMI, BMR and TDEE calcs that are here too. Works for me, but some others prefer to use other calcs elsewhere available. To counter this challenge on my nonFDs I only eat 2 meals – lunch and dinner.

3. I get ‘brain fog’ which is a recognised medical term, for brains trying to think when they don’t have enough energy to do so, for want if a better explanation. It feels like trying to think, remember, and compose speech, through a cotton wool haze. So, although I don’t get it everday, I get it enough to not want to go down the route of extra calculations. I’m in the KIS group -keep it simple.

4. I can’t eat grains and lose weight. I can’t eat, potatoes, corn, sweet potato, beetroot, pumpkin, lentils, chick peas, other beans e.g. Kidney beans, white beans, black beans, bananas, most stone fruit, some melons, and lose weight. This is just me, and in my 2+ yrs on the forum I haven’t found anyone elsewho has had to take so many things out of their diet to lose weight.

5. I do not have a blood sugar problem. But, sugar is not my friend! I keep it for special occasions. Stevia has helped me if I have a small quantity e.g. A bit of Sugar free jelly on FDs, sF lollies occasionally, and about 1/4 teaspoon in coffee but not always. Depends on the coffee. Sweeteners are a no-no for some people, but for they have been helpful in small quantities in losing weight.

6. I would prefer to be largely a pescatarian i.e. Fish + lentils, legumes, with the occasional chicken breast/pork 1 per fortnight and red meat 1/month, but I couldn’t lose weight that way, so I’ve done what’s needed to get my weight down. In maintenance I aim to change gradually to what works best for me in health terms.

7. I don’t expect anyone to be the same as me or do what I do. I recognise that my needs are different to many. I clearly have food needs a bit whackier than most.

Onwards and downwards,
    Merry

I’m here Cinque, fasting with you today. What did you stuff in the pumpkin?

Hi Merry, our posts crossed and I’ve only skim-read yours so far. PerthGirl brought it home when she reminded us that 5:2 hasn’t been around long enough to evaluate any long-term success. It reminded me that I’m not out of the woods just because I’ve maintained my goal weight for 18 months. It requires constant vigilance and fighting off years of bad food habits.

LJ, a long time ago I posted this article about hunger. Perhaps you’ll find it interesting, maybe even helpful. http://www.chuckrowtaichi.com/ch.html

Congratulations to your young son Joffy. And cheers for your continued success with 5:2. Looking forward to hearing about the next milestone – which is almost an anagram of minestrone.

Welcome darwins_monkey. How did your first FD go?

Last night, we enjoyed another hilarious evening at La Soirรฉe in Perth. As before, The English Gents stole the show. Ladies, here’s some mid-week entertainment to feast your eyes on. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98J0vpebt5w Start it around the 3:10 minute mark. What does this have to with 5:2? Absolutely nothing!

Hi thinatlast,

My first FD wasn’t as grueling as I was expecting. I was ravenous at lunchtime (so many delicious food smells around the office!) but a cup of beef stock (stock cube) fixed that up.

One interesting observation I made was when I was eating my dinner. Because all I had was a small lamb chop and a half a potato, I discovered that because there was so little, I wanted to make it last as long as possible and so I slowed down and really savoured the flavours. It was a new experience for me. I guess it was what the trendsetters call “mindfulness”.

I also learnt that I really should be better prepared. 1 chop and half a potato isn’t the most well balanced of meals ๐Ÿ˜‰

I’ll be better prepared on Thursday.

Hi Thin- Wow! The English Gents- Now that’s strength and without being hugely musclebound. Very clever and genteel presentation.

Welcome Brad! You will find us a very diverse group but we support each other along the way. Some of us are losing and some maintaining. Keep posting and let us know how you’re going.

Vaderz – re research. I understand what you mean about research and it’s interpretations. Many years ago I was a participant in the first avocado- choleserol experiment, along with a group of people on the Pritikin Programme. There were 3 groups – a group who normally ate butter who during the experiment took butter out of their diet and replaced it with 1 avocado a day. Our Pritikin group who ate between 3-10% fat monounsturated fat as part of their diet, who added an avocado a day. The third group I can’t remember, but I think they just added an avocado a day without changing their diet. Obviously, to add a whole avocado, though not large, other things would change balancing out calories, but, nothing comsistently.

The results were:

1. The substitute abo for butter – had a fall in cholesterol
    2. The Pritikin group – cholesterol – no statistical significant difference in cholesterol, but there was a non statistically significant slight trend upwards
    3. No change in the control group

This was then seized on by various people, journos, and groups as “avocados drop your cholesterol level”. In fact it was “if you replace butter with avocado and eat a whole avocado a day, your cholesterol will drop”. Very big difference. Since then I’ve been very wary of research results as reported, and when I can I go back to the source, and look at multiple reports. Unfortunately, sometimes assumptions are made at the beginning of multiple experiments based on a previous erroneous finding which then means decades later we find out te reverse is sometimes true rather than something we’ve. believed. That leaves us everyday mortals in a quandary of who to believe.

Good to see so many people here all improving their health and normalising their weight!

Have a good FD Cinque and Thin and any other Wednesday fasters,
    Merry

Joffey – big congratulations to your son!๐Ÿ™‚

Morning all SHs,

DM- glad you got through your first fast day ok. You have already learned an important lesson – be prepared. I also think that learning to appreciate every bite, rather than just shoveling food in at meal times is also a really important step to healthy eating. I believe that food should be a joy and not a punishment, so choosing flavours that we enjoy is an important part of feeling satiated by the end of a meal – I think this is double important on a FD when we only get a small portion.

Thin – thanks for the link. There is a really interesting claim in the article:
    “This gnawing discomfort, termed hunger pangs, results from the irritated walls of the empty stomach coming into contact with one another. Of course, hunger pangs are not true hunger, which is the way we experience a physiological requirement of the cells for nutrients. True hunger is not painful but pleasant.”
    This surprised me, as each day my hunger has been getting to the point where I’m interested in eating by late afternoon, but not that gnawing hunger. I was wondering if I wasn’t waiting long enough as I had assumed that gnawing hunger was genuine hunger. I might need to rethink this – I think I’ll discuss this with my dietitian when I see her next month.

darwins_monkey, pleased you made it through your first FD. I find planning ahead for FDs is helpful, for one thing, I know what to expect and, if it isn’t on the list, it doesn’t pass my lips so there are no impulse decisions which are often made on NFDs.

I know what you mean about slowing down. I remember making, The Hairy Bikers’ Healthy Cottage Pie (it’s on our recipe page) for the first time when I first started fasting and couldn’t believe that it could be a FD meal. When I came to divide up the portions, I realised that it served eight. It is so delicious but the portions are miniscule so I learned to eat very slowly and savour every single little bite.

The English Gents are a polished act, Merry. Last year, one of them also did a solo bubble blowing act which blew my mind. The audience was mesmerised and you could have heard a pin drop.

Hi Thin, Hi Merry!
    Minka and Intesha, you had better post too! I am missing you both!

And hello everyone else!

Congratulations on that first day Darwin! Each one helps you plan the next one a bit better! (Until you get them how they suit you and then it is an easy pattern!)

My butternut pumpkin was stuffed with onion, garlic, porcini, tomato, chili, coriander seed, rosemary, pinenuts and basmati rice, Thin. Very tasty although it wasn’t the best pumpkin. Not the season I guess.

The La Soiree sounds wonderful!

Merry how fascinating that avocado research, and yes, I only read the warped version of the results! (I was very glad to know that avocado didn’t increase cholesterol dreadfully though!)

I had a little salad today at lunchtime, but I was still gnawingly hungry in the afternoon (I think I have the tummy sides rubbing together style of hunger Vaderz ๐Ÿ˜‰ ) so I went op shopping and found a pretty cotton dress, an embroidered vest and a beautifully made black jacket with startling red highlights!

Now I am okay and it is miso soup time in the next half hour. Btw I had run out of dried shiitake mushrooms so I went to an Asian grocery yesterday and I found a packet of the most beautiful specimens! Huge! I’m looking forward to trying them today.

I’ll eat it slowly and mindfully!

Yay yay yay Im down to 69.7 kgs. Happy days indeed !!!

Hooray Gday!
    Hopefully that is the end of the 70’s for you. Lovely!

I had a dreadful night. Fast day insomnia I fear. In the middle of the night I checked my ipad and LJoyce, your post came up as new. Yet when I looked it was up above mine and Thins! Bizarre.

Anyway, interesting that we both zoomed in on the irritated tummy linings rubbing together (and oops I thought Vaderz posted it, and it was you Thin!)
    I liked reading wikipedia’s bit on hunger pangs:

“When hunger contractions start to occur in the stomach, they are informally referred to as hunger pangs. Hunger pangs usually do not begin until 12 to 24 hours after the last ingestion of food. A single hunger contraction lasts about 30 seconds, and pangs continue for around 30 to 45 minutes, then hunger subsides for around 30 to 150 minutes.[3] Individual contractions are separated at first, but are almost continuous after a certain amount of time.[3] Emotional states (anger, joy etc.) may inhibit hunger contractions.[3] Levels of hunger are increased by lower blood sugar levels, and are higher in diabetics.[3] They reach their greatest intensity in three to four days and may weaken in the succeeding days[citation needed], although research suggests that hunger never disappears.[4] Hunger contractions are most intense in young, healthy people who have high degrees of gastrointestinal tonus. Periods between contractions increase with old age.[3]”
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunger_(motivational_state)

I had a bad start to the day. Early optometrist appt, and I got myself lost on the way there (inner city through peak hour). I was half an hour late from driving around! (Must get google maps). I hadn’t had breakfast and what with morning after fast day, lack of sleep and no breakfast (or coffee) when they said I could wait for an hour for an appt, I said no and came home.
    In tears when I got back in the car, but now I am home, had breakfast and a big cup of tea and going out with a friend for coffee soon.

Bad start to the day, but it is getting better!

Best wishes to everyone!

Well done GDSA, it’s always an excellent day when the first number of our weight decreases always feels like a milestone. Excellent work.

I’ve had a busy day as as I found myself up at Mount Barker I decided to take inspiration from some others on this forum and do the rounds of the op shops looking to fill the gaps in my wardrobe. I used second hand clothes a lot while I was losing weight as I didn’t want to spend much money on thinks that would only be the right size for a couple of months. I still have some favourite garments from this time, but have supplemented them with new garments in the last 18 months. Today I actually had more garments that were perfect colour, fir & style than I normally find in the main clothing retailers. I found 2 summer skirts, 2 summer tops, 1 jumper and a pair of yoga pants all for the grand old total of … $34! Happy happy days. That’s what I call nice non-food reward for the weight lost so far.

I have a rule that if I buy clothes I have to donate a similar number of existing garments – so now I have to go and cull my wardrobe to rid it of some things I rarely (if ever) wear so there’s room for the new purchases – I find it’s the only way I can stop myself hoarding things just in case I ever need them.

I do the same thing with a lot of household goods too – providing I have a more than adequate supply of things then replacing worn out or dated things is fine but just adding more and more means my limited storage is quickly bursting at the seams if I’m not ruthless about what I hang onto. I learned this lesson from my parents – they grew up in the depression and never threw anything away that might possibly be useful one day – my sister and I had the unenviable task of dealing with it all when my father went into aged care and their house had to be sold. Every shed was stacked with stuff that took weeks to sort through – It’s easy to lose important things in all that clutter. I find the process of making choices and eliminating things that aren’t really needed is not just a physical de-cluttering it’s also a mentally freeing process.

LJ your post rings so true with me. The happiest times in my life were not when filling a house with a never-ending supply of consumables but when selling absolutely everything I owned to go travelling for extended periods or to emigrate, both of which I’ve done twice. I’ll always cherish that feeling of relinquishing first a set of work keys, then the car keys and, finally, the keys to the home. Days long gone now of course but retail shopping has never made me happy. I agree it’s a reflection of the mind – have you ever watched those docos about the hoarders?

I do believe that new clothes are great to reward yourself for weight loss though. Just not too many as you may pass that size more quickly than you imagined. Op shopping is a great way to transition the sizes without wasting money. When I was working my way back down through the dress sizes, I was so elated to reach size 14 that I did reward myself with too many clothes that summer. It took me some time to let go of those larger sized clothes. Just the other day, I culled the size 12s.

GDSA – great news. What a wonderful feeling to get into the 60s again. Was it your daughter mentioned on a previous page who’d become a class leader? Congrats to her and the proud mum.

Cinque, your stuffed butternut sounds delish. Butternut is one of my staples. Merry, have you re-introduced it now that your weight is so low?

Loving my Thursday, post-fast day. Gearing up for a couple of stinkers 37C and 39C. Hope the Thursday fasters have had a great day!

Hi everyone,

Cinque – because it wasn’t statistically significant, the slight trend upwards in choesterol of the Pritikin group (3-10% fat diet) can’t be counted. The control group, who had a range of ‘normal’ diets, with more average fat levels of various compositions had no difference in their cholesterol levels, up or down. Everyone got the information that was wrongly extrapolated out from the results. The point is, we need to go back to the original source to get totally accurate information. And I would have thought the same as you and just about everyone else, except I was one of the participants and knew exactly what the experiment proved, and didn’t prove. It taught me a good lesson. The same thing happened with HRT therapy for menopausal women being misreported, and the whole issue of sugar/fat/colesterol with large numbers going off statins and a consequent rise in heart attacks. Each time the data wasn’t reported accurately in the press, and there was a massive over-reaction. There seems to be an element of needing a sensational headline and simplistic exaggeration in reporting. Anyway, off my soapbox now๐Ÿ™‚

GDSA- how wonderful to get under that 70kgs – Congratulations, well done!

LJ – great shopping! I agree with you re the consumables! I dislike owning too much stuff. I’ve had some time travelling overseas in motorhomes, and I love having very little, and the simplicity of lack of possessions during those times. A part of me would love to live with very little permanently.

Thin- like you I didn’t realise how quickly I would go through size 14, and I wish more of the 14’s had been from op-shops. I’ve been maintaining for a little while after getting rid of the bit of excess of the last from travelling/birthdays/christmas/visiting etc, so I’ve had a little bit of pumpkin, sweet potato, and corn over that time. I haven’t really decided when but I do want to get rid of another couple of kgs to go down to 60kg, but when the conviction to do that really comes I’ll go back off the extra little bits till it’s done. I’m giving myself the whole year to get stable around 60kgs and readjust to long term maintenance foods.

FD for me today and OH made dinner based on some cauliflower soup from the freezer. He added some chicken stock, hoki fillets, and some extra low cal veggies. Last week I averaged a fraction under 5000steps per day. Today, for the first day in 2 decades, (since inhad that dreadful virus that kicked of my ME/CFS) I actually felt my body wanted to go to the gym and do my rehab gym session a couple of days earlier, and that I could do it. Only Cinque will understand how weird that was, how unusual it is to feel that when I never ever expected to feel that, but it was an amazing breakthrough moment. I still can’t put my finger on it properly but I do feel there is a little bit of healing happening from the fasting. Not sure, but I’m hoping I’m right. Did a bit of extra walking today too. I had to stop and rest in the middle for about 40mins, but that was Ok. Doing well.

Get back on the horse,
    Onwards and downwards,
    Merry

Today is the last day of my dinner only week. It’s gone really well, today is the first day I really wanted food earlier than late afternoon – I had a punnet of raspberries at 2:30pm. Given that I had just spent 2 hours at the fruit & veg market and then the supermarket shopping for food, it’s not that surprising that my appetite kicked in early. Seeing and handling food on an empty stomach usually has that effect.

Tomorrow the food madness begins.
    In the next 3 weeks I’m attending:
    – 1 birthday “chocolate & dessert” supper
    – 1 book club afternoon tea
    – 2 birthday brunches
    – 2 birthday lunches
    – 1 birthday high tea
    – 1 21st birthday dinner

My head is spinning just thinking about how on earth I’m going to handle this. Talk about mad March. How did one family manage to have so many Feb/March birthdays? We’re not even a big family! Most of it is people who’ve married into the family.

All I can say is thank goodness Easter isn’t until mid-April. I may have gotten over my sugar coma by then.

I suspect that 3 FDs per week will be necessary in March. I’m hoping that what I’ve learned about my appetite will also help and I’ll be able to eat less at these social events than I normally would want to. The brunches are the highest risk for me, as they kick start my appetite early in the day and I find it very difficult to control my eating for the rest of the day.
    I have also decided to give up sloth for lent (which starts 1st March) with the goal of 1 active household task and 1 exercise session every day – I don’t care how long or short the effort is on any given day as long as I do something. Hopefully the extra movement will help a little with the extra calories that are coming my way in March.

Thanks everyone for your kind words when i weighed under 70kgs. Ive heard that weighing daily may not be the recommended thing to do but it gives me inspiration and guidance. Today im 69.4. Even that little . of a kg feels good.
    Thinatlast yes it was my daughter. She is so proud to wear her SRC badge to school each day. Was her 9th birthday yesterday so growing into quite a young lady. I am so proud of her.
    Happy Saturday everyone.

Happy birthday to your daughter for yesterday G’day!
    9 is a great age!

I wrote that post two days ago. Went to edit it and then (overtired) lost it on my desk top, then closed windows and realised I closed it. Opened up 5:2 and there was no sign of it. Same yesterday morning (after another dreadful night with Miss Wriggle my 2yo granddaughter) when I was too busy to write. But now it is back in line!

Well I managed to catch up on work yesterday and got a MUCH better sleep so I feel pretty human now. What a nice feeling that is!

LJoyce I am glad you had such wonderful op shop finds! I have found I am more likely to find something I like there than in the main shops.
    I’ll be interested to hear how you get through the week of feasts! Good luck!

I remember someone talking about going to evening do’s and she said ‘Arrive late, make sure you talk with everyone you know, hold a glass but only take a couple of sips, don’t eat anything, leave early’. It was so different to how I thought of social events (and it is different to informal events with family and friends of course) and made me realise that they are to be social and not (as I thought as a child ๐Ÿ˜‰ ) to eat as much party food as possible!

Merry, thanks for the further info. My mum was strictly on the Pritikin Diet back then, and I was affected by it. (The reason I went off eggs for a while).
    I do understand, and I am wowed by your gym session. What a landmark day! Did you do the session and did you avoid payback! Fingers crossed for you!

Thin, that pumpkin was delish and it would be simple to put in something other than rice, and it makes a pretty stunning dish but it is easy. http://carolynnsrecipebox.blogspot.com.au/2011/12/jamie-olivers-hamilton-squash.html
    And I agree, my happiest times involve few possessions and lots of travel!

I am having good days (touch wood and whistle) by planning out meals a bit better. I had miso soup on a non fast yesterday! Weird! But I had the dashi I forgot to use, some left over noodles and radishes (which I have discovered are yummy in soup) plus zucchini ofcourse. Must say: Can’t taste the dashi! Too subtle for me. That will save me making it in future!

Well I got a lot done on my presentation preparation yesterday, but more to do today. So nice to have slept well and to spend some time drinking cups of tea and catching up with you lot!

Fast day tomorrow!

Best wishes

Hi Cinquey, thanks for the recipe. It reminded me that we used to get a vegetable in Perth called spaghetti squash. It was shaped like butternut pumpkin and inside were densely packed strands like spaghetti. I haven’t seen it for years. Do you know it? It would be perfect for fast meals. No matter how much of it you pulled out, it just kept on coming like a magic trick.

I don’t think that lost post was all your own doing – I’d seen your name as being the last to post on our thread but when I clicked on the thread, yours wasn’t there. Also, SHs, we need to get a move on because those pesky Fat Busting Brits are about to overtake us and we will soon be dropping to fourth popular!

GDSA, good that your trend is continuing into the 60s. Happy Birthday to the 9 year old. I can relate to the proud mum thing. My daughter has always made me very proud and now, at 21, continues to do so.

I love your friend’s tips on avoiding eating and drinking too much at social gatherings. And LJ, that’s a punishing celebration schedule but perhaps it will help that at least some of those events will be falling on the same day. Enjoy everything on offer – feasting is important too – but just have one of each maybe!

Merry, congratulations on your continued improvements in all areas. Intesha, hope you’re having fun and not licking too many cake decorating utensils. Where’s everyone else? It’s 40C today and we’re off to lunch with friends in the hills. See you tomorrow Cinque.

Hi everyone,

Trying out different ingredients:

– egg whites in a 500gm carton, 50cals/100gms, 1/4 cup has 31cals. I’ve used this in a frittata with some whole eggs included and this worked well. Just made an egg white omelette with mushrooms and rosemary. That was fine by me but I’ll try it again with a whole egg included to see the difference. Cooked another thin omelette extra and extra mushrooms to go in a cauliflower rice fried rice for later. 500gms goes a long way for a 2 person household, and the carton needs to be used in 7days

– Hakka fish balls, the plain fish balls have 20cals/100gms. Quite processed but I made the choice to use these over the last 6 months. I cut these in half, and use 1tspn oil and fry quickly with a little soy sauce, a tiny bit of crushed chilii, maybe a little ginger and crushed garlic sometimes, but a spare amount I add some baby spinach or mung bean sprouts on the side for about a minute, put the sprouts or spinach in a bowl and the fish balls on top. A very low calorie dish. Can also be added to our FD seafood soups. From Asian supermarkets, 200gm pack gives 14fish balls. Keeps well unopened for a few months. Check the pack for a long use by date.

– Naked Ginger Uncrystallysed – 330cals/100gms. When starting 5:2 I was advised to add strong flavours to dishes as it has the psychological effect of feeling more satieted after eating. I don’t add this to dishes but put it out with nuts or fresh fruit for visitors, and we have often used crystallized ginger as a treat over the years, so thought I’d give this a try. Very deceptive packet! Under ingredients it says : ginger 55%, sugar. So that’s 45% sugar. So really this is just like crystallised sugar only they’ve found a way to get the sugar in their differently. It’s very sweet.

Gday – congratulations to your daughter!

Cinque – slept extra today, making up for the extra walking I think. No, I didn’t go to the gym on Wed, but I was just astounded to feel that feeling after an absence of 20yrs. At my rehab session, (really a keep me functioning session) on Friday I did a teeny bit extra, and did over 5000steps through the day, hence the extra sleep. I made sure my kids had a couple of eggs a week as well as extra egg white in things. Egg white has good protein in it, great for growing bodies. Well done with Miss Wriggles and your presentation work.

Onwards and downwards ,
    Merry

Hi All,

I’m back and just catching up on some of the posts. I’ve taken time off from fasting altogether for a couple weeks for a variety of reasons (which would turn into a book if I wrote about them all)! I wish I could report that I’m eating mindfully and consciously, though that has not been the case. How I look forward to my next FD which isn’t even on my schedule yet, though may be Monday or Wednesday.

I’ve been appreciating everyone’s posts which remind me that I’m only one FD from feeling back in the zone.

Hi GDSA

Lots of us weigh every day. I like to see the Variations. It depends on your preference. So long as you don’t get down when your weight varies up.

Some people find it disheartening to see they have gained weight. It is normal for your weight to go up and down, depending on what you are eating or his much you are exercising or sleeping.

Cheers, Bay ๐ŸŒบ๐ŸŒบ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ

Good evening everyone. Merry that ginger does sound delicious but I think it is candied ginger, it just hasn’t got the ‘rolled in sugar’ coating.
    (Oooh wouldn’t I love some!)

Glad you didn’t go crazy with that exciting feeling (but Oh it can be tempting!). may you continue onward and downward with 5:2 but onward and upward with your health!

I made another zucchini slice today. I find it so good to have on hand. I freeze it in portions but it thaws quickly and is easy to warm in the microwave or toast a bit. 5 eggs in the recipe! But that makes a tray full.
    The zucchini season must be coming to an end soon!

Thin, my daughter has spaghetti squash growing! But she only has one plant so not much fruit. She has a big one just starting to turn yellow, and a little one that has just started growing.

That is interesting that my post was missing for that time, but I am glad it finally made it back!

Minka, so good to see your post! You will love having that first fast back! I hope it manages to fit in soon!

Bay, such a good reminder! I remember the first time I saw that weight loss is so up and down. Like this: http://www.datapine.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/weight-loss.png and how important it is to look at the trend over months, rather than the daily up and down.

Fast Day tomorrow!

Evening all.

Well I’m back from an afternoon at book club. Which usually involves me eating at least 5000 kilojoules or more in cheeses, dips, cakes, chocolates …. I managed to stay well under 3000kj (700 cal) today and most of that was various cheeses. I didn’t risk tasting the chocolates and cakes as I knew I would have trouble stopping at one. With no lunch and a simple dinner I’m actually right on my TDEE for the day – I don’t think I’ve ever managed that before on a book club day. At least I’ve finally proved to myself that I can actually do it if I choose to.

Merry – Your supermarket must have had the eggwhite cartons in their fridge for a while. When the manufacturer makes them they have about 6 weeks to their use by date. I also bought some this week and its useby date is 31 March – about 5 weeks from my purchase date. Something which may help you – the liquid eggwhite can be safely frozen before it reaches its useby date. When I have done this in the past I’ve either used an ice cube tray or little 1/2 cup containers. It means no waste, which is always a welcome option for me.

Due to some family ill health, the birthday brunch I was meant to be going to tomorrow morning has been postponed. So I’m taking advantage of that by doing a FD tomorrow. It should set me up for the other celebrations later in the week.

Hope you are all having a good weekend.

Good morning all. I am still lurking in the background. FD today as well Cinque and Thin. Weight is consistent at the moment so I think/hope the body is doing some internal adjusting but as I’ve said before I’m happy where I am at the moment.

No licking spoons Thin, it is mostly learning how to make flowers and decorate a cake. Maybe just a small taste of the frosting. Yesterday when I was practicing I actually threw away most of the frosting, I was so proud of myself as usually it was always a case of waste not.

Had a vital call installed for Dad this week, so a little peace of mind if he has any falls around the house if I’m not home. Still a few ongoing issues with my Aunt but on the whole life goes on.

Sending congratulations to all that are seeing weight loss and medical improvements, well done.

Viewing 50 posts - 10,651 through 10,700 (of 28,008 total)

You must be logged in to reply.