Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,904 replies, has 831 voices, and was last updated by  Lindsay L. 2 hours, 35 minutes ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 10,051 through 10,100 (of 28,008 total)

• Hi all, I’ve just joined this forum. I’m in Adelaide.
    I lost around 50kg in 2013-15 but had had a constant battle to keep the weight off. I’m currently about 10kg over my comfort level of 75kg. My hope is that I can use the 5:2 program to get back down to 75kg and stay there long term. My main concern is how to address my tendency to binge – I just don’t seem to have an off switch when it comes to food. I’m worried about how this will impact my non-fast days.
    Does anyone have this issue, and if so, have you found tools that help?

Welcome LJoyce! I’ve been a binger myself and have found that 5:2 has helped me immensely.

I’ve found 5:2 incredibly healing. You may find that after you’ve fasted for awhile that an ‘off’ switch suddenly kicks in and becomes operational!

I’m still a work in progress with regard to the bingeing but it is so much better than it used to be and not only that I reached my goal weight in September and have maintained ever since!

By the way, I binged yesterday and really needed to write about it therapeutically so did this on the ‘bingeing’ thread. If you’d like to have a look: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/i-am-a-binger-any-info-on-fasting-and-bingeing/page/57/#post-183517

I’m OK, thanks Thin. Have had a few low energy days after NYEve and 1 commitment on NY Day morphing into a full on day from beginning to end, and a subsequent night with only a short sleep – DFIL needing to go to hospital, for the 2nd time in a few days. Things have settled down, more sleep, lots of s..l..o..w doing of things, resting, more s..l..o..wness, more resting etc. I’ve been a lot better today. Tomorrow should see me right. Good FDs on Monday and today. Will update the rest tomorrow.

Onwards and downwards,
    Merry

Hi everyone Doing a FD today I think i have finally found something that helps my indigestion i have been making my own Kombucha had a glass yesterday and it seemed to ease it time will tell. Lael the fitness watch i have is a Garmen i just love gadgets it gives a beep if i sit to long and has move on it just reminds you to get up and do something.

Hi all – completed my 3rd FD for the week yesterday and have managed to repair the damage done over the Christmas period and am now at my PB by 100gms. However, I found it extremely difficult and ended up going to bed early as I just wanted to eat …. anything!!

How wonderful is this WOL – never before have I been able to repair binge damage so quickly and even though it was difficult yesterday, I am convinced this is doable for me hopefully for life. LJoyce – this works and over time becomes easier. I have been doing this since 14 Oct and have lost 6.1kgs with a bit of a backslide over Christmas. As a comparison, some years ago I did WW (points system), was totally committed and managed to lose only 9kgs over a 9 month period. I gave up on that as I was sick and tired of sitting at meetings where everyone else were regularly getting their 5kgs pins and I got a lowly one for the whole 9 months! I think I threw it away in disgust.

Glad to hear all is OK Merry – we all need to rest at times as our summers seem to be particularly hectic. I spent yesterday watching the tennis although today will go to aqua and then out for some retail therapy.

Happy FD all

Hi All,

Fishing Gran, I too make my own kombucha! I also make sauerkraut! It sounds like you’ve got the fitness gadget that doesn’t need to be recharged every week or so, yes? Is it the “Vevo” model? I ask because I was looking at those and the JB HiFi guy commented that they were difficult to use compared to the ‘Fitbit’. I realized that I wouldn’t be committed to charging another device regularly as he agreed the ‘easier to use’ Fitbit requires, so walked out of JB HiFi without either! I’m hoping the sales guy was wrong and that they are actually easy to use, since I’m still interested! I think the sleep tracking monitor on it is worthy on it’s own! I also like that it at least reminds one to get up out of a chair!

wwall, well done for besting your personal best and so soon after Christmas!!! I enjoy watching the tennis too!

Merry, I’m glad you are able to rest, even with all those commitments. I hope your DFIL is better soon and can be released from hospital. I know how it feels to need complete rest days. I had one of those yesterday, a total retreat day in which I didn’t even step out the door and only opened a couple of the window blinds!

I’ve just finished my second fast day for the week. It’s very hot in Adelaide today and I’ve noticed that the heat seems to suppress my appetite.

My main issue with the 500 calorie limit is cups of tea. I drink quite a few cups per day (although they are decaf after 4pm) and I like my tea very milky. I can easily get through 300ml low fat milk or more per day, just in cups of tea. I’ve tried green tea, black tea, herbal and fruit tisanes etc and they just aren’t appealing. I’m trying to drink a single cup at a time (rather than 2 cups from the pot of tea each time), which does cut my intake a bit. The thing is, if I’m not eating, then the desire to drink cups of tea instead is even stronger than usual. If anyone else has some tips I’m happy to hear them.

It does rather limit the remaining calories for the day. I’ve found that if I want the milky tea I seem to need to limit myself to a single low cal meal. I’ve been having this as dinner as my appetite is strongest then.

I am now a my lowest weight since 1983. scales clicked over at 112.2 kgs today. 32 kgs to go. I have been as high as 135kg, but started on 5.2 at 125, I am wearing my smaller jeans because the others were slipping down and dragging on the ground and the crutch was halfway down to my knees. Feels good, good, good. Nothing like small successes to keep you motivated. Merry sorry you are unwell.
    Lynn

To LLjoyce…. my usual tea is with milk, soy with coffee. On FD I drink weak black tea or weak tea with two or three slices of Ginger. (Bali tea). It is not my favourite drink but two or three cups a day and you get used to it. Otherwise I have a fresh lime squeezed into a jug of water in the frig. When hubby has wine I have lime water. When he has Christmas cake I have lime water… but it is only for one day then the next back to normal. Just try to persevere it is worth it. Yesterday was FD. Pineapple, 2 slices for breakfast, carrot, celery, cucumber and 4 cherry tomatoes mid afternoon and green salad with tin tuna for dinner. The scales were kind today. I am down 8kgs from my top starting weight. My clothes are getting looser, wondering when to take them in.

Don’t forget if you feel hungry, as we should, tomorrow you can eat.

Keep going everyone.

There’s a lot of success being reported on this page – well done to you all – wwall, Lynn & Ladyfish.

Welcome LJoyce, I think when Merry gets back on her feet, she’ll shorten that to LJ so I’ll just do it now. I empathise with you about your tea. I have the same issues with my coffee to which I’m addicted. I just cannot deal with black coffee. Foregoing my frothy coffee made with my beloved Rancilio machine is the only thing that makes the start to a FD slightly difficult for me. However, I wouldn’t consider drinking precious calories on a FD so I have compromised by using coconut and almond milk. It doesn’t froth but it’s way better than skimmed milk and allows me two good cups at only 20 cals.

I’m not sure it would taste good in tea but I have found that there so many varieties of tea that I can amuse myself with lots of different tastes to try. One that I enjoy is Madame Flavour’s choc/orange tea. I can use the same tea bag for about 3 cups at only 5 cals and it smells and tastes just a little bit naughty.

So, I think your choice is between giving yourself one cup of milky tea and doing without those cals for meals or trying to acclimatise yourself to some of the other types of teas you’ve already tried. One way or another, you’re stuck with 500 cals or less so you have to decide what gets you through the FD the easiest. We have to keep in mind that some of these habits are what got us overweight to start with. All the best as you find your way.

Lael, I hope you’re over that horrid experience and that you limit the time spent with that ‘friend’ until she sorts herself out. That whole story says more about her than you. Surround yourself with positive supporters of 5:2! All the best to you and Merry. And now Cinque and Intesha have gone AWOL.

Lael I have a Garmin FR35 and i do have to charge it we have a desk top computer so i just plug it in you can get one with a battery that you change yearly.if your car has a USB port this one can be charged while you drive I love gadgets so it suits me I bought mine at Rebel Sport and asked a million Questions. OH and kids bought it for me for Christmas. Do you make sauerkraut in summer i put it of because i thought it would be to hot i am new to fermenting.

Hi everyone and thank you for all your good wishes,

Welcome to the newbies – Ladyfish and LJoyce, and Thin beat me to it, lol. LJ and Lady, hope you don’t mind, but in true Aussie fashion, and bit of Kiwi, all names get shortened on here when you become a Southern Hemisphaerie unless it’s already short.

Quick word to the newbies – Cinque and I have the same chronic health condition, Myalgic Encephalomyeliti commonly known as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, both of us for many years. We are usually well practiced at managing our energy deficits, but occasionally life gets in the way with something a bit unexpected, or we push ourselves a little bit too hard for a special reason, and we have to go AWOL for abit while we rest up and recuperate. Lael also has a similar situation, but a different medical cause. So this list is perhaps a little unusual having the 3 of us on here. We all met on the CFS thread, but it is not a very active thread, and so for regular purposes, and because we try to live as normal a life as possible,and as we’re all in Oz, we live over here. So….. you don’t have to tippytoe around us, we’re fine, and all just very, very, very, very, did I say very, happy to have discovered, after all taking a flying leap into the medical unknown, that 5:2, minus any exercise, has given us a healthy way to normalise our weight – all 3 of us!!! Huge thankyou’s to Dr Mosely! The man is worth his weight in gold.⭐️

Check -in, 62.9kgs this morning after a disastrous, halo slipping NYEve night, and NYDay. NYE I thought was going to be 5:2, friendly but turned out to be the opposite. NYDay went from 1 function to 3! My FD on NYE maybe wasn’t such a good idea after all as I blithely turned up not having eaten anything all day. The tireder I got closer to midnight, the less fortitude I had, and there were lots and lots of wheat and sugary tempting things.

DFIL is as OK as someone at 99 with considerable dementia and multiple health challenges can be, but quick trips to hospital are becoming more frequent. Unfortunately he is his own worst enemy, and cannot accept he is ageing or that there is anything wrong with him. It’s a sad and somewhat complicated situation that keeps my OH (other half) on his toes. Anyway, enough of that, as everything that can be done is being done. Thank you for your kind wishes Lael.

Joffy and I have been in touch and will be getting together one morning this coming week, which will be great. Intesha will be away unfortunately.

LJ – I don’t waste calories on drinks on FDs. I drink peppermint tea, very weak Earl Grey tea, and a decaf coffee with a little light milk. Also water, sparkling water, and a drink my OH invented – about 3 cm of diet ginger beer in a tall glass topped up with sparkling water and a little lime juice or a couple of lime slices, and ice cubes. Re the tea, could you weaken the tea a bit so you might not need quite so much milk, or just gradually cut back the milk little bit by little bit to wean yourself off the quantity a bit.

OH made dinner tonight -a bolognaise where he had pasta with it and I had Konjac noodles. For the newbies, Konjac/Konyakku noodles are Japanese and made from a root vegetable. They are a bit weird but have 0-10 calories per packet.

Have been doing this lying down, but must get to sleep so…
    Onwards and Downwards,
    Merry

For all the newbies I mentally prepare for the special occasions knowing the weight will go on but going back to our WOL it will fall off. It is not worth the emotional drain having to explain myself. Some of my children are still against this program but others are fully in line with it. The extra weight gained during December is finally starting to come off once again. Considering we have been experiencing extreme heat conditions I am satisfied with this. You just have to try and give yourself some time away from these negative people. The only exercise I do is 4 minutes HIIT on a stationary bike every second day and some arm exercises. After Christmas I sent all excess foods home with my guests so that they are out of the house. All I feel like during this hot weather is meat and salads.

Merry, sounds like you’re doing well now – is 62kg your PB? It’s fun to think of you meeting Joffy. Is he still on holiday? I found some commercial konjac, in the form of Slendier Angel Hair, in the back of the pantry so I’ll have my Spanish Fideos, 142 cals for my next FD.

GL502, just re-read your profile. Truly inspirational. You have lost more than half your one-time body weight! Planning for the holidays was why I started the Silly Season Challenge thread. It seemed to work for most people by keeping it all in perspective. Next week, our DD turns 21, there will be a big chocolate gateau from our local deli. I have to mentally prepare for this. She and OH would happily eat it until it’s gone. I like to freeze some for another time if I’m permitted.

Hi Fishing Gran, have fun doing all that moving about.

Looking forward to my FD tomorrow. Last night we had home made sushi for the first time in years (I know this because the staples were all of out date). It’s easy to consume too much rice when it’s parcelled up like that. I hardly ever have rice these days, and only in very small quantities and I’m paying for it this morning.

Hi All
    Thanks for the advice Merry. Weakening the tea is a good idea as it does allow me to use less milk. As I don’t use sugar I usually do counterbalance the strength of the tea with milkiness. I have noticed that in cafes where tea is made with tea bags and usually fairly weak, I do add less milk.
    I’m pretty fussy with the way I make tea at home (I use quality tea leaves, a pot a tea cup etc). For me it’s not just a cuppa it’s a relaxing rewarding break – it’s a mindful experience. I think I just need to get my head around the idea that it can still be this on non-fast days, but I need to adapt if I want more actual food on the fast days.
    I can also replace the last cup of tea of the day with peppermint – it’s the only time of day that I can face herbal brews.
    My goal is to get my milk intake to 130ml, which is 100 calories. I’m prepared to sacrifice that much food.

I’m currently on the final day of my first week. I’m happy with it. The fast days went well and the other days were mostly within my normal limit. Only one day did I overeat on a non-fast day. Because my normal calorie requirements are very low (1400 calories per day) it’s easy for me eat too much.

Hope everyone is having a good week.

Hello everyone,

Hi LJoyce, I have to stop eating anything sweet (including fruit 🙁 ) to stop the bingeing mechanism. As I am relearning yet again! Sigh.

Hiding from the heat today and recovering from the pleasures of having kids here.

Fast day tomorrow!

Hi again!
    LJoyce, I am like you in that I have milk in my cuppas. I had to think what to do on fast days, and decided that I was happiest having my cuppas (tea and coffee) with milk, and just one meal: being miso soup (with chicken, mushrooms and greens) in the evening.
    I don’t have as much milk as you. I have less than a cup of full cream milk over the day, so 159 cals at the most.

But I do try to have other drinks that don’t have milk: licorice tea, ginseng, lemon and ginger, rose water in boiling water (although I often put milk in that!) and as much plain water as I can get down.
    I know others who use those little miso sachets to make a cup of broth that is great to sip on a fast day and hardly any calories.
    I bet if you keep looking you will work out a solution that suits you.

Hi fellow Antipodeans!

Fishing Gran, that’s good to read how easy it is to use and charge your Garmin! I’ll reconsider! …Yes I do make sauerkraut year round. In fact I have a jar on my bench that I dated 10 June 2016, which is when I made it and it looks perfect! I’ll be harvesting it next week. I don’t find that the heat affects sauerkraut when it is gestating except that it does slow down the fermentation process, so instead of taking a few weeks to ferment, it might take a couple months. That said, that batch with the 10 June date was made in winter! We haven’t used it because we’ve been using previous jars! By the way, only after I open the jar and break the seal does the kraut become vulnerable to going mouldy, so I store it in the fridge from that point onward. I’ve been making sauerkraut for about 5 years and it has been trial and error for sure! I remember one huge batch I simply had to dump because mould grew not only on top, but infiltrated down to the bottom of each jar and smelled horrible! I now use ‘Piklit’ jars that have a one way valve to let gas escape but no air back inside, which has completely liberated my sauerkraut making process by freeing me from any possibility of mould growth!

Merry, I wondered how the NY celebration turned out and I too would have done the same had I been in your shoes at that gathering. We are so fortunate to know about these ‘reset’ days! I don’t know how I coped pre-5:2? I think I just kept on the same pattern of snacking unhealthily through January! …How wonderful to be meeting up with Joffy! …I still have visions of a SH ‘reunion’! I mean we can hardly call it that, given few of us have ever met in person! But I feel like I know so many of you that it would feel that way! I really did feel like I was meeting a long time friend when I met up with Cinque and turned out to feel so during our whole time together!

By the way, Mr. L. and I visit Melbourne twice a year, once in June and once around Christmas if that works for a meeting place, given Cinque will be there too!?

Lol Thin! How fun to be celebrating DD’s 21st! The gateau sounds delicious and your freezer technique sounds perfect for leftovers! I’m actually employing the freezer technique for these ‘fat bombs’ I’m making today, which I’ll mete out for one per day. I did sweeten with stevia drops, but the raw cacao overpowers and they’re more bitter than sweet! Hey, I just had am image of sushi made with cauliflower rice! I wonder if that could even work?

GL, I too was inspired when I read your profile post! I agree that losing more than half of one’s own weight and maintaining is quite a feat!

LJ, great that your FDs have been going well and that you are finding your way with the tea and milk. I especially liked reading about your tea break as truly being a pause and time for becoming more aware or ‘mindful’ as you say. I chuckle that when I’m served tea, I usually wait for it to reach room temp and then guzzle! In my case, the mindfulness is definitely worth considering!

I’m fasting today! It is going well! I spent 20 minutes out in the sun to get my vitamin D, 10 minutes each side!

GL – you’re amazing!! Congratulations and very well done! Take a bow.

Thin – yep, that 1 day I briefly was 62.0, in November before we went overseas, was my PB (personal best) and was my final goal. After our discussion on wriggle room, and the subsequent trial by food and drink over late November December and New Year, I’ve decided to go to 60kgs with my top of wriggle room at 62. Thanks for your advice. The gateau sounds like trial by choc. Hop it goes OK.

LJ – just checked calories in milk which vary a little, as I think your figures are a little high.

Generally – full fat milk 71cals/100mls
    Woolworths full cream milk – 64cals/100gms
    1% fat milk – 51cals/100mls
    Lite White milk – 46cals/100mls
    Skim milk – 36cals/100mls

So I’m presuming you’re using full fat milk – 300mls is 213cals. Perhaps you could also mix 1/2 and 1/2 Lite White and full fat milk – which would be about 59cals/100mls, as another strategy. Whatever you decide you’ll find that you will tweak things re your food and drnk a few times before you reach a regime you’re fully happy with. One thing that’s really obvious on 5:2 is how individually different we are and what works for some, or even 1 doesn’t work for others. But you’ll find your best fit.

Onwards and downwards,
    Merry

Messed up big time today, made the mistake of hot smoking some chicken on a fd. Then just had to eat it,the aroma was phenomenal. oh well, tomorrow is another day.

Good morning everyone – so interesting to hear how everyone is going.
    FG and Lael -I am very interested in fermenting foods and I have been making milk kefir for the last 6 months which has made a huge difference to my gut health. Next on the list is Sauerkraut so I will check out the jars you nentioned Lael. My daughters gave me a lovely cookery book on fermentation which I have just started reading.
    Thin – have fun celebrating your DD 21st birthday, freezing half the cake sounds like a good idea but our lot would demolish it before it got anywhere near the fridge!
    LJ – I’m with you on the milky drinks. I don’t drink coffee and always have milk with my tea. The only way I am managing on FD is to drink peppermint tea and water in the morning and then will have a cup of earl grey with milk after lunch. My latest craze is turmeric lattes (sipping one now) – my family are rolling their eyes as I am into all things with turmeric at the moment!
    My next FD day is due on Mon but will be moved to Tues as I am having our grandson overnight and too difficult and tiring trying to fast while keeping up with a 5 yr old!
    Good luck with your fast today Lael 😀😀

Pintinlin -your smoked chicken sounds yummy.
    Like you say – tomorrow is another day and we all have hiccups, I certainly have and still am having ‘messed up’ Fast Days.
    Good luck for your next FD 😀😀

How do you make a turmeric latte Deb? Someone on this thread gave me some starter grains for milk kefir a couple of years ago and I found it really great. It made more than I could handle and I kept giving it away. Sadly, I killed it on one trip away when, instead of drying the grains, I froze them. It never quite recovered.

Did you know that we have a recipe thread? https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/southern-hemispherites-fd-recipes/ We have politely requested that it’s kept just for recipes, no chit chat, so that we can find the recipes easily. Please include the number of serves and calorie count.

You’re so close to your PB Merry. I’m now thinking of breaking from tradition and making a white chocolate & berry cheesecake instead of supporting the local deli. I’m no baker but I can manage this and I’m thinking that actually seeing all the ingredients will make me more mindful of how much I eat. Sorry to those fasting, this must sound ghastly. It certainly doesn’t sound very healthy to me either but it’s not my birthday so I don’t think I’ll get away with a sugar-free cake. if there is such a thing.

Hi again! I know I wrote a ‘book’ length post again before, but couldn’t resist writing again!

Debjd, regarding the fermentation jars, I originally bought my original 2 x ‘Pikilit’ jars when I visited California 4 years ago and transported them back to Australia in my carry on luggage, since postage to Australia was absolutely out of the question (the jars are heavy!). Thankfully, ‘Kitsa’s Kitchen’ now sells them in Australia for quite a reasonable price given that they are made in Europe and transit the states before arriving here! I was happy to see that and bought a couple more from Kitsa! That said, I have now seen less expensive, smaller jars designed based the same principle at the ‘Pikilit’ jars, that Pete Evans now sells online. …In all honesty, I probably wouldn’t have continued to make sauerkraut after all these years, had I not found the air lock jars. I had to deal with mould growing on just about every batch and though only the one batch became fully infiltrated, I got tired of wiping the insides of jars and spooning off floating mould ‘lillypads’ from the top of the brine and I was always concerned that my efforts would be wasted via infiltration.

Thin, I too once made milk kefir and it also felt very healthy to consume! Like you, mine died while I was overseas once! I thought I did the correct thing by feeding the grains a lot of extra milk and putting them in hibernation in the fridge, since I’d read of this method. Unfortunately, maybe I left them there just a bit too long! They too died! I had a number of friends who used to make the kefir and they’ve all let theirs go! I know one can buy the grains online, though one day I know I’ll come across someone to offer grains again!

I successfully made the fat bombs while I’m fasting! I’ve filled a container that is in the freezer! My mother always taught me to clean a bowl so that there is nothing left to lick, which served me well today! I did have a taste, just. I’m happy to report that the taste didn’t start any cravings for more. This whole exercise is an experiment to see if stevia, in reasonable quantities in a home made treat is something I can tolerate without triggering hunger dragons and cravings.

What I appreciate about the Southern Hemispherites is like you said, Merry, we are all here experimenting to find what works for us as individuals and we acknowledge that there isn’t a one size fits all approach. We are an eclectic group of individuals which keeps this thread lively, interesting, buoyant and educational!

I bought the turmeric latte mix from a little health food shop – the ingredients are turmeric, ginger, cinnamon and black pepper. You add a little hot water and then whatever milk you prfer. It is delicious. I had my first one in Margaret River a month ago and I’ve been keen to have them at home. I believe the turmeric is ‘supposed’ to have lots of health benefits so I’m on that bandwagon at the moment!
    Thank you for the recipe link I will check it out. 😀
    I’m not on a FD soI think the white chocolate ad berry cheesecake sounds delicious 😀😀

Oops, sorry about the errors but it was a quick reply on my mobile.

P.S. …one last time for today! Lynn, I too have had to change my FD plans, once when I was late into the afternoon of my FD. Good thing was that, like you said, I simply started over after dinner and I went on my merry way! I’m wondering though if a piece of smoked chicken could have counted for some of your 500 calories for the day?

Lael, it would have been okay, but it goes so well with creamy potato salad.
    Look at nadialim.com for recipe for turmeric latte.

Thank you Lael for the fermentation jar info – I’ll check it out.
    Thin – if you would like some milk kefir grains I’ll gladly pass some on to you. So far I have found the grains very forgiving having survived being placed in the fridge for over a month while we travelled overseas and also several 1 week stints.
    I have overindulged today so need to get myself back on track tomorrow 😀

Ps Lael if you are in Perth you are also more than welcome to some milk kefir grains 😀😀

Hi all just touching base sorry I have been AWOL Thin. Lots happening for me at the moment. Mum was moved to higher care last week and it has been very traumatic for Dad.

Just when I was trying to get myself back into the zone had a phone call that has now turned my life upside down again. Dads sister who lives in far North Queensland has been in hospital and now needs to go into a nursing home. Although there are 6 nieces and nephews guess who is the only one available to help. So today I fly to Cairns and then a 1 1/2 to 2 hour drive from there to pack up her house etc. I feel like a de Ja Vue moment. Didn’t I just go through all of this with my parents 2 1/2yrs ago!!!!!

Anyway she is on her own and elderly and wants some family around her. Ladyfish where do you live?

So today weight is 67.5 and hopefully with no one but myself to feed over the next week should be able to have my FDs and some mindful eating.

I am really sorry I won’t get to meet Joffy. It would have been good to put a face to the person I saw in my drive by in Holbrook.

Must go and finish packing although mostly old clothes as it will be all manual work and no play.

Good morning,
    Sending best wishes Intesha,
    It is such a big thing to drop everything and go to help your Aunt. Especially when you should be recovering from the hard time you have just been through with your parents.
    She is so fortunate to have you! And your dad will be so glad that you are able to help her.
    I just hope all her other nieces and nephews appreciate what a big thing you are doing.
    You will be such a good person for her to have with her.

At least you can make this week about yourself re food! And really look after yourself!

I am feeling so much better, and relieved I worked out I had to be super strict about super low sugar (since nearly all foods contain some level of sugars). Fast day today and I am enjoying my first cuppa. The chicken is thawing, dried mushrooms are soaking and my zucchini plants are producing madly so I will have zucchini in my miso soup this evening too!

Our heatwave should end this afternoon. Looking forward to it!

Intesha…. sorry I am 8 hours from Cairns. Hope there is not too much rain while you are there. Fast Day for me tomorrow, if the rain stays away I will mow two lawns for my exercise. Slowly slowly wins the race.

So sorry Intesha. I can’t believe it’s all down to you again. You’re a very caring person. Don’t forget to look after yourself. I hope your Dad will be OK by himself. It’s good to know that your mum is getting the appropriate level of care although I’m sure it’s distressing for you & your Dad to accept her decline. Have a safe trip and, if you need some light relief while you’re up there, we’re here.

Morning Cinque. Your heatwave is coming our way. It’s been so cool, I’ve loved it but tomorrow will be very hot, continuing for 3 days. I’m enjoying my FD so far. That sushi did me in and was a big mistake. Lael, that’s an interesting thought about using cauliflower rice to make it – I don’t suppose it would stick together?

I’m looking forward to smugly making this cheesecake without licking anything.

Deb, thanks for the info on the turmeric latte. I understand that turmeric has many health benefits. Thanks also for the offer of some kefir grains. I’ll take you up on that some time please. Lael, I have successfully hibernated them in the fridge before too but you’re right, there is a time limit. I can’t recall what it is but we were away for 7 weeks and that was too long. Someone on the MC thread suggested freezing but it didn’t work.

On the train going to the airport. Shame you live so far out Ladyfish. I am going to Atherton.

Thank you for all the lovely words, I’ll try to keep in touch.

Hello everyone,
    Thin, the Japanese sushi dresses the rice with a sugar and vinegar mixture, I wonder if that contributed?
    I plan to try it the Korean way, that uses sesame oil instead, next time I make it.
    Good luck in your heatwave!

Good luck with your mowing Ladyfish!

Have a good trip Intesha!

I’m off to do my exercise…. henna my hair!

Hi Cinque, the Japanese vinegar I use has no calories so I assume no sugar? It says to add sugar and salt which we ignore. Sesame oil would be nice to try but I’m not planning to have it again for a long time. I think it’s down to consuming stupid quantities of rice – we made several different styles, sizes and shapes and I wanted to try them all. I’d not tried making the inside out ones before and they looked pretty with the orange roe on the outside.

I’ve just been for a good walk though and I’m down 700gm from yesterday’s aftermath so we are so lucky to have found a WOL that allows our bodies to absorb these occasional weaknesses.

Have fun with the henna. I just found some henna for decorating hands that we brought back from the UAE. I might do that for fun on one of these hot days when I’m air-con bound.

It’s been a long time since I went to the Atherton Tablelands but I remember it was beautiful. Intesha, I hope you have time to enjoy it because packing up someone else’s house sounds like a lot of work.

Ah, ok. Well, it’s a good thing that now you know, but sigh, another one off your eatable list!

Have fun if you decorate your hands! I love the look of the pretty henna decorations!
    I henna my hair every couple of weeks. It’s a hassle, but I like the colour and I started going grey when I was at my fattest and I looked so washed out and awful, that it was a relief to turn it reddish. I think I will stop when my hair is all white and see how that looks.

At least it is rather a nice thing to do on a hot day when I want to be inside.

When I wash it off it will be time for miso soup! 🙂

Hi
    Thanks for the responses.
    Merry you were right, I was miscalculating the calories/kjs in my milk. I have have the kj count for so many foods in my head, that rarely look anything up anymore. I use a 1.2% fat milk and I remembered it as 290kj per 100ml – I just checked the label and it’s actually 190kj, so it looks like I can either have more food or more tea on my fast days than I thought – that’s a pleasant surprise.

I guess the over-calculation helped. I weighed myself this morning and have lost 4.7kg this week (down from 87.6 to 82.9kg). As this is likely to be mainly water weight I decided to weight this week so that from now on I’ll have a better idea of a normal weight loss for me on this program. I normally only allow myself to weigh monthly as I can get addicted to weighing if I’m not careful (I have gotten myself to the point of weighing several times per day and I don’t want to revisit that type of unhelpful behaviour). I find monthly weigh-ins helps my motivation and usually avoids the frustration from not losing weight in weeks when I know I’ve stuck faithfully to a diet – for me that usually leads to a binge which is very unhelpful. Less frequent weigh-ins seems to be a better option for me, so from now on I’ll be weighing just at the end of each month and will use my clothing as a guide to how I’m doing between those times.

Cinque – thanks. Your mention of miso soup reminded me I had some miso sachets in the pantry that I hadn’t tried yet. Today is a fast day (I’m trying to do 3 this week), and I had enough calories left in my plan to try the miso. It was surprisingly good – much saltier and flavourful than I expected. I followed the directions, but next time I think I’ll dilute it more in a much larger mug. I think it might be a good option as a stock base for soups this winter too.

Good evening everyone,
    Lots of posting happening in here.
    LJoyce, on a FD I have one white coffee in the morning as it helps me feel right then it is off to work fasting with black tea and now black coffee is tasting ok and water. I think of the tastes of the hot drinks as a reminder as to what I am doing that day but it is also whatever works for you, if you need to have three milky tea’s to get through and less food then that is what you do. At the start of this WOE you will be jumping around all over the shop thinking of what to eat, how much, then after a few weeks you will find a constant that works and you will adjust to it and keep adjusting as your body becomes more used to the FD.
    Vaderz our beach is a small one thus the office hours of 9-5. Speaking of which, Merryme was talking about Yoda’s a page or so back, couple of Star Wars people in here perhaps (yes I am one also).
    I had only one FD this week on Saturday, my last being on New Years Day, and my body was yelling out for it. I had been out to dinner or lunch everyday last week having a ball but the body wanted a FD and it felt good this morning waking up so fresh. It was a big FD as I only had one white coffee then just water and a black coffee at night. I was planning on having a tuna salad for a late lunch but got busy with the kids and forgot about it then planned on a late dinner but got sleepy watching a video with the kids and on putting them to bed thought I wonder if I can get to sleep with no dinner and was successful. I didn’t feel any different in the morning to others. I don’t plan on doing this regularly it was interesting to see no difference the next day.
    Catching up with Merryme in a couple of days and my holidays are over this weekend Boooooo
    Meals for the day:
    One white coffee 150kj (Don’t know the cals)

It’s a lovely cool Melbourne morning and I have the lovely ‘morning after a fast day’ feeling.
    Hope you feel the same Joffy! What a fasty-mc-fast-day you had!

So glad you found the miso sachets LJoyce. I just love that savoury salty goodness on a fast day!

My miso soup was super yummy! 🙂 (as usual 😉 )

Best wishes to everyone, fast day or non fast day!

Same goes here Cinque. Sushi worries behind me. Frothy coffee, blowing up balloons, waiting for the birthday girl to wake up, OH and I pondering the fact that she had been in the world 30 minutes this time 21 years ago – back then, she kept us waiting 12 days. We’re off to cycle round Rottnest Island for the day where it will be 8C cooler. She didn’t want a 21st party and I’m chuffed that’s she’s still happy to spend the day with us oldies. I managed to make a pretty decent looking cheesecake yesterday without licking anything. I’ll probably make up for it today.

I read your post before going to bed last night Joffy. That was an awesome feat. I can feel a 24 hr water fast coming on (for you, not me). I hope you and Merry have a lovely time together. Enjoy the rest of your holiday, it seems to have gone on forever ……

Lael, I’ve been researching the use of cauliflower rice for sushi. Thanks for the idea. Turns out I had a recipe in my, ‘I Quit Sugar’ book. I’ve added it to our recipe page even though it doesn’t include a calorie count/serving number which is annoying.

Hi Thin, Big happy Birthdays to your lovely daughter. Have a great day!
    Enjoy your cheesecake!
    I have THREE other friends whose birthdays are today! All wonderful women!

Off to have coffee with a friend, and shopping. Getting ngredients for my salads in jars. Lots of zucchini this week!

Wow, LJ! You’re powering along! 4.7 kg loss in one weeks is spectacular, even if includes water weight! The average per week is 1/2 kg. so you’re nearly 10 weeks ahead of the average!

Joffy, you may have only fasted one day this past week, but that one fast sounded like an extra effective one, given that you had just the coffee! Great that you felt as good the next morning as after any other FD.

Thin, Thanks for posting the cauliflower sushi recipe in the recipe forum thread! I’d really like to make it sometime! I’ll see if I can put the ingredients in myfitness pal to at least estimate roughly how many calories since the sushi could make for a perfect FD meal!…The fact that your daughter wants to spend her 21st with you and OH, to me speaks volumes about your parenting and what a good relationship you’ve developed with your daughter! At age 21 I wanted to be as far away from my parents as possible! …What fun, cycling around Rottnest! Did you see Quokka’s while on your ride? I’m sure you cycled off any white chocolate and berry cheesecake! I’m not fasting today, so it sounds good to me too!

I’m envisioning colorful fresh salad layers in your jars, Cinque!

Catching up on all these lovely posts i only usually have two coffees a day but i am learning to cut the sugar out .i checked the recipe section out again i keep forgetting its there did my FD yesterday so the recipes made me hungry.I looked at the miso sachets but couldn’t decide which one are any better than others. I am keeping a big bowl of salad in the fridge also making some Homemade Hummus good for snacking on.

eeeyuk Fishing Gran, sugar in coffee! You are as bad as my daughter! (Just a little bigotry in me there 😉 )
    And oooohyum! Isn’t homemade hummus just so delicious!

I’m still feeling so happy that being superstrict about sugars is making me feel so good. Life is lovely.

Plus it is another day of my favourite weather.

Isn’t cauliflower sushi a great idea!

Fast day tomorrow, and lovely mindfulness of everything today! Best wishes all!

Hi Fishing Gran, I work in a health food store part time and we sell the miso soup sachets which are very handy, especially when traveling! Where I work sells ‘Spiral’ brand organic miso soup sachets which contain both brown rice and barley miso plus some seaweed. I’ve used these sachets and they are wonderfully mild and like LJ points out, if I want to increase the mildness, I simply add more water.

I’ve also bought tubs of miso paste, as Cinque has described on previous pages (well Cinque is fortunate to live in Melbourne where you can actually help yourself to big bulk tubs of miso and buy as large or small amount as one desires!) since it is also quite easy to use and very economical. The raw miso paste has added benefits of containing high quantities of alive probiotics that remain active as long as water added to it is just under boiling temp. A good rule of thumb with regard to miso flavors is the lighter the color usually the less fermentation time and so milder. ‘Shiro’ miso is also called ‘White’ miso has a delicate balance between sweet and salty. Toward the other end of the spectrum is ‘Hatcho’ miso which is fermented for 3 years and is very pungent, salty and dark colored.

Cinque, the experiences you write about with ‘sweet’ flavors and how much more balanced you are when foregoing them, is inspiring. I’ve been inspired by your words and am now experimenting with the same.

I’m fasting today and so far so good!

Thanks for the birthday wishes for DD Cinque – wow, three friends born on the same day! How long have you found that the salad jars last in the fridge? I’m trying to remember and thinking you said a week. So, no ingredients that have a tendency to go soggy like lettuce, cucumber and red pepper. More of the bean type ingredients? You haven’t mentioned the cafe for a while. Is everything going ahead now?

Thanks for the lovely words Lael. Like you, I was long gone by 21 and didn’t have the best relationship with my own mother so I’m very grateful that DD and I have a good relationship. Yes, we saw some Quokkas but we were cycling around the island most of the day and quokkas have come to know where they can get the most food. It’s sad to see that people still feed wild animals but uplifting that others are prepared to speak out to educate those who don’t know any better.

What I wasn’t bargaining for though was to be sitting on a white sandy beach just 2m from the water’s edge and sharing my towel with a SNAKE! That’s the first time in 25 years of living in Australia (including one year travelling in a camper van) that I’ve seen a live snake. Although I am utterly terrified, I kept surprisingly calm until it headed off up the beach and then I ran to the water to tell the OFMs who arrived just in time to identify it as a dugite.

Back to business in hand – it would be great if you could calculate the sushi ingredients for us Lael. Thanks also for the miso soup information. Cinque’s a big fan. I take the sachets as a 5:2 stand-by when travelling. Cinque, I also admire your self-restricted sugar intake. Unfortunately, I don’t seem motivated to do anything about it. I am reading, ‘I Quit Sugar’ again. Hopefully, some of it will rub off. I completely get that sugar’s addictive. But cutting it out seems daunting when it occurs in just about everything, or so it seems.

Hey, Cinque, are you on a Sun/Weds fasting regime now or this just a one-off? Other than foregoing breakfast again, I was useless at exercising any restraint yesterday so very much looking forward to tomorrow’s FD.

I’m with you though, added spoonfuls of sugar in tea/coffee are a thing of the past. FishingGran, I found it quite easy to cut this out by reducing it just a little at a time over a few weeks. I did so when my grandma was diagnosed with diabetes in support of her about 40 years ago. I know you’ll be successful too because you’re determined.

Viewing 50 posts - 10,051 through 10,100 (of 28,008 total)

You must be logged in to reply.