Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,901 replies, has 831 voices, and was last updated by  thinatlast 17 hours, 59 minutes ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 9,451 through 9,500 (of 28,005 total)

• Good morning.
    Day after fast day for me. Enjoying breakfast already!
    I had a good fast day/ Even though I have the same menu every fast day, I do change the greens in my miso soup! And yesterday I had baby broad beans from my daughter’s garden. SO yummy!

Fishing Gran, I hope you had a good fast day too!

Merry woot! Won’t it be lovely watching it settle in as the new norm!

Eloelo, I hope it is a short, small flare. I was looking up ‘Spoon Theory’ again so I could print it out for the people I work with to help explain why I am so difficult. The woman who wrote it has Lupus, but it is true for so many chronic illnesses. https://butyoudontlooksick.com/articles/written-by-christine/the-spoon-theory/

Pamie I ate my first ‘salad in a jar’ on Sunday and it was yummy and worked really well! There are people who swear they last a week in the fridge. I’ll test if they last five days as I made four but didn’t have one on my fast day.
    They are great fun and look so pretty (even though I didn’t pack that tidily) and there are so many possibilities!

I tried on my summer skirts last night and they are all slipping down. The ones that sit okay on my hips are still good but I have had to put two in the op shop pile. And a lovely red top that I put on and it was too big. When I was overweight I just loved to have things a bit big! Not any more. Was it you that said that Merry? Very true for me. I need them to be ‘just right’!

Mumsy I love how you really understand your body and fasting in your life! You are right, I do the very basic 5:2 and just keep plodding along with it.

Best wishes to all the Tuesday fasters! And the Tuesday normal eaters!

Hi all SHs

Your posts and 5:2 journeys are very inspiring!

I began last week and yesterday was my third FD. It was the most successful yet, I managed to get to 6pm (on just 3 cups of black tea) which was exactly 24 hrs after I last ate. Mind you, I was at home all day. It’s not as bad as I had imagined, in fact it’s quite bizarre, on FDs I start to notice things, especially things that need cleaning! I find myself more active, doing things around the house, feeling compelled to do them, not just to keep my mind off my hunger, which really isn’t that bad. I also slow down and take things in.
    What’s really strange is the day after a FD, despite returning to normal eating, I am grumpy and irritable, particularly in the morning. The sort of irritable that I would expect on a FD, instead on FDs I’m more peaceful and calm and in a totally different mindset.

What’s going on?! Have any of you experienced something similar?

Hi everyone, I had my first test this week when I decided to change my Monday fast day and on Monday night I wondered if I would stick with it the next day. Well it’s now Wednesday and am pretty happy with myself for changing days successfully. I will change back next week to Monday to even the spread of FD’s.

My brother gave me a set of scales last year to remind me I was too big and I only used them when I got them to check my weight for an adventure course, now of course I jump on them things in the morning after a FD as it has been telling me great things every time I ask.

I lost another 1kg this morning, let’s see how long this goes on for. I didn’t eat until dinner last night which was different but I just kept putting off having some something with some water or black tea. Meals for the day were vegetable frittata with 2 eggs and 3 egg whites, asparagus, mushrooms and tomato with 100g of rockmelon for dessert.

Hi Cinque, I keep my left over salad in a zip lock bag. It has avocado, cheese, tomato’s etc.(10 items in all the kids love the variety) and as long as you make the dressing with the juice of a lemon or lime it will be fine. My ex’s dressing of olive oil, tbsp of red wine vinegar and a lime or lemon squeezed is ace. Last Friday nights salad was eaten with dinner on Monday night.

Good morning everyone!

Hi Aviatrix, isn’t it fascinating how we react!
    I tend to be grumpy and irritable on the afternoon of my fast day, and then feel great the next day. No idea why we would be opposite!
    There is fascinating research about the microbes that live in our gut, everyone has different ones and they multiply according to our diets, and can effect our moods and what we are hungry for. So maybe that is what is going on!

I have also noticed that the extremes of mood change, and hunger and overfullness, have evened out after a year of 5:2. (Still can be a bit irritable on a fast day! 😉 )

Hi Joffy, congratulations on a good ‘change of Fast Day’ it is funny what a challenge it can be. I am so set in my Sunday Thursday fast routine now that it is also a test to change it. Luckily I survived too!

Congratulations too on that steady weight loss. Have you had to head off and buy new clothes yet?

You (and my daughter) are making me SO hungry for avocado! She had it on toast last night when I was there helping her with bathing the kids.
    Salad in a ziplock bag is a good trick!

Hello everyone else! It is grey in Melbourne but the rainbow lorikeets have arrived to bring some colour!

Hi everyone, welocme aviatrix!, well done Joffy!

Had a big day, will post tomorrow
    Onwards and Downwards,
    Merry

Good morning all,

Starting my Thursday FD at 64.1kgs.

How’s everyone going?

Thin – are you out there? I’m missing you. Hope you are well and OK.

Onwards and Downwards,
    Merry

Hi All. FD for me too. Pretty easy to do while working from home. I love that when hunger comes around, it only lasts for 5 mins or so, then realises it won’t be entertained and goes away😄.
    I have noticed a bit of a plateau lately – anyone got any suggestions on how to get things going again??
    Merry, I’ve started my FD on 64.4. Been hovering around there even with alternate day fasting.
    Hope everyone is going well!
    Mumsy

Hi Cinque, Merry (thank you for your welcome) and everyone else

Cinque, what you said about the gut biome is quite pertinent, I’ve been reading a lot about this and think it could very well be part of my post-FD grumpiness. Thanks.

Anyway, tomorrow is my fourth FD so it will be interesting to see if the irritability returns the following day.

Best wishes to everyone for tomorrow, whatever you’re up to!

Good morning, raining here today,

Day after FD 63.5 kg Yay!

You’re going well Aviatrix. Hope you’re feeling better and it irons out.

Back later

Good morning everyone,
    I had a good ‘Maintenance Thursday’ which means I ate around 800 calories.
    But I had a shocking night with insomnia and asthma. Not related to fasting! I’ll head to the doctor for advice.

Cheers for your Fast Day today Aviatrix, and good luck tomorrow! Another thing I thought of is that it is common for people to struggle with not enough water, and/or not enough salt, when they fast and maybe that could lead to feeling rotten the next day?

Merry I hope you are ok after your big day. I’ve been having way too many of them (plus, just between you and me, having to work with someone who is not at all CFS friendly), and it is taking its toll! I hope we can both have some gentle, recuperative days!

Mumsy that is so true about those hunger waves!
    I hope you get off the plateau! Being a ‘non weigher’ I couldn’t be sure if I ever plateaued, but since I gauge myself by mirror and clothes there have been times I’ve thought ‘I bet that’s one of those plateaus they talk about’ but then, within a few days, I would be getting dressed and think Oooh! that’s looser! So I am no help except to hope you try something on today and think: Oooh! that’s looser!

Thin, where are you? Hope you are okay!

Cheers to everyone!

I’m here and well Cinque and Merry, thanks for your concern and thanks to those who contacted me outside our thread. I’ve been lurking while re-assessing my role here and thinking perhaps it was time to let others run with it. I’m following your impressive progress with interest and excited to hear how you both, along with Intesha and Lael handle maintenance. Well done to the newbies who’re sticking with it.

FD went well will do another tomorrow been having asthma problems also. due a DR visit soon.

Hi all, another FD has past. I am enjoying the challenge of FD’s and am now not eating until dinner. I will not be posting my losses anymore (except for milestones) so as not to discourage others who are not seeing the same results. It is not a race and we are all different in many ways age, sex, genetics, etc.

thinatlast if you do not want to post due to having done so for a long time that’s OK but don’t think your posts are not appreciated by us newbies. I have been here for 3 weeks and find all posts awesome, helpful and inspiring. I believe if someone was thinking of lapsing or falling off the wagon from this way of life and came into the forum and see so many different views and stories it may be the little bit of positive energy to help them to continue.
    What I am trying to say is the more comments the better as I feel it all helps.

Funny but I used to love the sweet “stuff” however I had some brownie and some dessert last night and I was up at 12.30 until 2am feeling quite ill. Drinking peppermint tea which did the trick. Goes to show how our bodies change. OH and I are in a community choir and we are off to a workshop today with 3 other choirs for a performance next Friday. Should be a fun day.

Hi everyone,

Thin – so good to hear from you and know that you are OK! There are times when we re-assess our involvement in things and your involvement here must be up to you. But… It you decide it is time to move on I will miss you. You have done so well with 5:2, very steadfast is your journey. You have stayed and supported us and shared your journey moving on to maintenance, and getting used to travelling with us. It’s been wonderful to share that with you. It’s helped me so much to go on this journey of life with you. I think of you as a true friend who encouraged, supported, and kicked me in the butt when I needed it. I hope you stay, but if you decide to go please know that you have been a very important part of my journey and I thank you from the bottom of my heart. Oh, and I made a big pot of cauliflower soup last night, in your honour, minus the cayenne pepper, and I will think of you everytime I have it! It’s delicious!

NFD for me today, and I have a couple of weeks left now before I go overseas on holiday. I’m going to the land of large meal sizes -USA, first to Hawaii then to mainland USA. So…I need a goal and a plan?….

GOAL: to come home the same weight as when I left

PLAN:

1. take travel scales weigh to keep me accountable, and weigh every morning, record
    2. enjoy new foods and drinks, enjoy in moderation, taste small portions of things instead of big platefuls
    3. no breakfasts – maintain doing 16: 8, eating in an 8 hr window, beginning after 12 noon
    4. continue doing 2 FDs per week, Mon and Thursday
    5. Thanksgiving is on while we are there on a Thursday, so switch that FD to another day
    6. order entree sizes instead of main meal sizes
    7. or share main meals between 2
    8. rarely drink calories, drink water, sparkling water, peppermint tea etc
    9. don’t eat the breadroll
    10. skip dessert except try new things at Thanksgiving dinner, sharing single portions

I’m adding:

11. enjoy being at my final goal weight (almost there, and will be there before I leave)
    12. enjoy the reward of buying something new to wear
    13. be flexible
    14. I don’t need to pig out or be influenced by others to enjoy my holiday
    15. be happy when I get back that I haven’t overeaten or been influenced by others

Onwards and Downwards,
    Merry

PS. I have done my travel plan 1 – 10 twice already and it’s worked. I’ve had lovely holidays, enjoyed all the new foods and not felt I missed out at all. It is a great feeling of accomplishment to come home the same weight I left. 5:2 is a wonderful way to live and has given me control of part of my life that I had felt I had no control over.

Hi to joffy and pamie –

Congratulations and well done to both of you! This is a journey of surprises as well as accomplishments and 5:2 seems to allow us to change the psychology of how we relate to food as well as do txhe job of helping us get our normal weight back, and our bodies functioning more healthily. It’s great, and good to see you both benefitting from 5:2 and being on here.

Onwards and downwards,
    Merry

Fishing gran, Congratulations to you too! Well done on a good FD. Hope you are feeling better soon,
    Merryy

Merry, I loved reading your traveling plan! …So many good points for me to consider even though I’m not traveling!

Hi to everyone else! I’ve been writing assignments so don’t have time to answer all the posts individually.

I’m having a very good FD that is helping me get back on track after straying widely, yesterday.

Good morning from a Melbourne morning that has the feel of an imminent thunderstorm.
    I’m on the second of three days of steroids, so I had some breakfast on a my fast day (have to take them with food). Sigh. My asthma has finally gone (hooray!), but I’m still waiting for a better nights sleep. The tablets are working against that!

How are you Fishing Gran?

Thin, thanks for letting us know you are ok. I hope you miss us all so much you decide to keep posting, you enrich this thread so wonderfully. However I will be glad if you just might pop in now and then so we can catch up with you.

Joffy I love how you wrote to Thin.
    Congratulations on your progress and that fast days are getting fastier! Do share your good results sometimes,
    as we love to celebrate with you!

Pamie, what a sugar shock you had! Isn’t it a boon that things we used to love don’t taste so good after a break. Less temptation!
    I laugh at myself for almost swooning with the sweetness of a piece of roasted sweet potato, or creamed sweet corn. I’ve just read some lovely recipes for a sweet potato bake and a sweet corn pie, both had added sugar! Well now, I am quite confident I can cut that ingredient out and still have a sweet dish!

Such great tips Merry! And I am so pleased you have your goal in sight. What a pleasure it will be to get there!

Lael, good luck with all those assignments!

Well I am off to try and catch up on all the things I haven’t been able to do. Tiredness slows me down so I will just plod along and hopefully notice my mistakes in plenty of time!

I am still Sunday fasting, a little bit of breakfast won’t ruin the rest of the fast day! Hooray for adaptable 5:2!
    Cheers to you all!

I weighed in, made myself a coffee and sat down to read news of my 5:2 friends as has been my ritual most days for the past 27 months. And what kind things I read. Wow, I’m a bit overwhelmed.

Joffy, thank you for what you said. I’ve been following your success as you strive to make these healthy changes to your life. I also would be sorry if you don’t post your losses. There will always be some who are unable to make this work for them but I’m sure lurkers and posters alike could only be encouraged by your results.

Merry, you’re a star. Within a hair’s breadth of goal weight after all you’ve been through. You’re the new 5:2 pin-up girl. I almost shed a tear when I read your post yesterday, thank you. Feel free to ask Cinque or Intesha for my email address. I’m sorry for the kicks up the rear! When you read on, you will see you have a chance to return the favour. Have a wonderful trip, armed with your travel scales and plan.

Cinque, I hope you’re looking after yourself properly and the cafe isn’t taking too much from you. It seems you’ve accomplished some mammoth tasks over the past weeks and months. Thank you also for what you wrote.

Intesha, how was the cruise to nowhere? Were there any tall, dark suitors aboard? I look forward to reading of your meeting with Merry.

Lael, I hope your assignments go well and your FD is a breeze. Like you, I’m welcoming a fast day today after going off the rails yesterday. I’m essentially still the same ‘overeater’ person I always was, it’s just that now I’m armed with the tools to deal with it and, thanks to contributors here, I have better nutrition literacy.

Yesterday, some friends invited us for lunch at a beautiful winery. I don’t normally eat lunch so I decided against breakfast. When we arrived, the place was packed out so our friends suggested we first go next door to the wine tasting room. So, it was at 2pm on an empty stomach and with a range of wines sampled that I made my poor lunch choices. Another bottle of wine over lunch and I no longer cared. Then in the evening, my neighbours held a movie night and I grazed throughout. I haven’t done such mindless eating for a very long time.

I blame the wine for this morning’s scale blowout. Like saturated fats, sugar and salt, alcohol is high in calories, low in fibre and nutrient poor. Discretionary intake of all these can help us better manage our weight and reduce our risk of chronic illness like heart & kidney disease, stroke, diabetes and some cancers. I believe alcohol needs to be part of any honest conversation about making healthy changes in our lives. So, Merry, please – kick away! I deserve it.

To Pamie, Fishing Gran, Aviatrix, Mumsy and all the other newbies, stick with it. It works. Although I’m feeling pretty disgusted with myself today, I’m still well within my goal weight range which I’ve been maintaining for about 15 months, thanks entirely to 5:2. I lost 23kgs by the way.

*sorry, I didn’t mean to say that salt itself is high in calories.

Hi Dear Thin!
    I’ve just had my big bowl of miso soup with fresh mushrooms, cabbage and chicken in it this time.
    It was a good Fast day and I did get a lot done. A lot more to do. Sigh.

What an impressive blowout you had! The great binge of 2016!
    I hope you took pictures, the next one is probably further away than the last one!
    (And all that fattening salt 😉 )

My favourite is to have a fast day straight after one of THOSE days! Such a relief. Hope you are feeling better every hour!
    I must say I seem to (Oh dear, before I write any more I must TOUCH WOOD AND WHISTLE) but it really seems that an occasional binge day just washes through me. I guess my binges are smaller (and I don’t go to wineries 😉 – yep another wink!) but it is like they are just a lump on the timeline, no bigger than the day.

I’ll let you know if I have a foul binging day tomorrow and go up a clothes size! Then I’ll eat my words!

Anyway, I am off to early bed tonight, I so hope I get some good sleep!
    Best wishes

Best wishes everyone! See you tomorrow!

Aloha everyone!

We just got home last night from 2 weeks in Hawaii and I’ve a mountain of washing and errands to do so just a quick check in.

I’ve just had a quick read through page 190 posts and great to hear all your news, successes and welcome to the newbies!

Merry, I enjoyed reading your holiday eating plans, particularly

14. I don’t need to pig out or be influenced by others to enjoy my holiday
    15. be happy when I get back that I haven’t overeaten or been influenced by others

We booked our trip for 10 days but we were having such a lovely time we extended a few more so I was away 2 weeks in all. I left at 77.0kg, did 16:8 every day (sometimes 18 or 20 hour fasts if I was out shopping 🙂 but no intentional 500 calorie days. I rarely drink alcohol (which is a blessing I guess when trying to lose weight – one less thing to worry about) and Americans are great at always placing water on your table right at the start so I stuck with that.

I didn’t ‘diet’ per se, ate some lovely seafood (a treat for those of us who live in the country), shared a few club sandwiches and french fries with my husband, had sips from his lovely poolside drinks that had cream in them, ate a couple of oatmeal & raisin cookies (my favourites) and otherwise just ate pretty healthily but didn’t feel I deprived myself of anything.

Before I went, I was wondering if I could manage to avoid the breakfast buffet for 10 days (I love it, as does my husband). We only went once and I didn’t eat much at all. 16:8 or more has now become the norm and I don’t miss breakfast at all.

I’d hoped I could maintain my weight at 77kg or hopefully only gain a little bit. I was 76.3kg this morning, very happy with that. Husband not so happy, he gained 2kg but he certainly enjoyed his food 😉

I spent some time in the fabulous Barnes & Noble bookstore whilst there and bought a copy of Dr Jason Fung’s ‘The Complete Guide to Fasting’. The more I read about fasting, the more it makes perfect sense, not just for weight loss but also the other benefits as well. At the present time however, the weight loss aspect is the most satisfying and exciting.

Best add in the 2 x 500 cals days this week and move things along.

Happy fast day to those fasting today!

Beth x

Hi cant and welcome:

Here are some tips that might help: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

Good Luck!

Welcome back Beth, great to hear from you and I’m so pleased that you had a great holiday and well done for your perfect management of mindful eating while still enjoying everything.

Hi Cinque, glad you had a good FD, as did I. I agree, once the weight is under control, our body seems to absorb the odd blowout. I enthusiastically welcome the FD as it puts the brakes on and re-sets everything. It’s a lesson to me not to stray too far from the thread in future!

Cant: welcome, you’ve come to the right place. I’m sorry for what you’ve been through but you’re here now. This is the start of your new way of life. I suggest changing your handle to something positive and then enjoy your new healthy life as you fulfil the prophecy. I was 83kg when I chose ‘thinatlast’ with tongue in cheek. I’m now maintaining at 59/60kg and have finally come to accept that I am actually a slim person. Set yourself small goals so it’s not so daunting. It doesn’t matter how long it takes, a downward trend is all you need. Ask us anything. Good luck!

Thanks Thin, and great advice for Cant. Small goals are achievable and give you a great boost when you reach them. If you put in your goal weight right at the start, it can be a long time coming…

Hi Thin, Cinque, Merry, Intesha, Beth, Hagar, Aviatrix, Joffy, Mumsy, Fishing Gran, Pamie, eloe, Michaela, nicky, emmsee, therealwil, and Cheeal did you pick a day and get started? …and anyone else I might have missed!

Hey Beth, that’s great to read that you actually returned from your travels less than when you left and that you ate in a way that nourished you along the way (no feeling of deprivation)… YAY! You and Merry are our travel tour guides! …How to make IF work when on a plane, overseas, away from home!

Thin, you are not alone with your blow out! I had one recently and like you felt relieved to be fasting the next day! Mine started on Friday with a classmate bringing pancakes as a treat for fellow students, complete with all trimmings including real maple syrup and fresh fruit. I would have been happy to pass and would have had a good excuse except that they made a special gluten free version for me and another classmate, so I felt touched at the extra effort made so indulged. There were leftovers given to me to take home and I proceeded to eat a couple more that evening smothered in macadamia butter and molasses! I have to say they tasted pretty good! However, I wasn’t surprised that my weight was a kilogram over maintenance when I stepped on the scale next morning at start of my FD! Anyway, it’s Monday and I’m now back to ideal goal weight! There were still more pancakes in the fridge, so I had my partner take them away with the rest of the rubbish that is now awaiting pick up at the kerb. I know if they’d remained there that I would have further indulged in a moment of weakness. I’m finding the stress of so many assignments due by early December, as trigger for emotional/stress eating. In any case, 5:2 is working for me and I’m rapt!

P.S. I hadn’t planned to fast today! I just fasted on Saturday and like Merry, I actually do better leaving 2 days between FDs. However, I’m not hungry and it is now going on 1 pm and all I’ve felt like having is water. I feel clear headed and balanced with my energy levels so I might as well continue on and make this my first FD of the week!

Hope everyone else fasting today is doing it easy too!

For those who had read that I’m trialing the addition of inulin to my regime (which is a pre-biotic that supposedly alters our gut flora and thus helps reduce visceral fat percentages), I started with just a teaspoon a week and am about to raise up to 4 teaspoons. I’m finding my digestion has been fine while taking it as long as I take it away from meals (at least a half hour before). So, so far, so good and I’ll let you know at the end of the trial if it well and truly reduced that stubborn layer of fat around my middle that remains despite having reached goal weight! I’m also aware that after reaching goal that our bodies still continue to improve and heal and that down the track it might just be the continuation of 5:2 practice that sees the shrinking of my belly fat and not the inulin! …I guess I won’t know for sure!

Hi All
    Starting this new way of life today for the first time and its fast day Monday! Halfway through my day at work and am feeling a little hungry but I will have another peppermint tea and see how I feel.
    So looking forward to seeing some fabulous results like the rest of you.

Hi all just wanted to pop in and say welcome to our newbies. This is a wonderful supportive thread with so much knowledge and experience.

I have just come back from my cruise to nowhere. Thursday was my normaL FD and went well until I met my friend to board the ship. Had a bottle of bubbly on an empty stomach, know the feeling Thin. Did try to be mindful but gave up, although did not overeat I treated myself to whatever appealed but also find now I cannot eat as much or as I think it was Pamie who said that sweet things make me sick now if I overindulge.

Weight on Thursday 66.9. This morning 67.7 and I have just had my first food since 12 noon yesterday 26 hours, I am amazed at myself. Back to normal FDs tomorrow.

Lael I make my own pro-biotic, kefir and have been doing it since August last year and I personally believe that this has helped me. If it’s possible I take it everywhere I go, even took a few bottles on the cruise. Not always convenient as it needs to be refrigerated. I look forward to hearing your results as prior to you I had never heard of it.

Good morning everyone,
    It is Cup Day in Melbourne and so a slow easy day for me!
    Although I still have a huge, complicated list of things to work through, so that is why I am sitting here having coffee and a nice catch up chat with you lot!

Welcome U2by and Cantbelievehowbigiam, maybe we can shorten your name to the first three letters? Welcome Can! You Can do it!

It is always good to have new faces here and to get to know you!
    I do so hope 5:2 can become a sustainable way of eating in your life and you get the lovely loss of that excess weight, and all the other health benefits.
    But there is also such a wonderful feeling of control. I think that is the word, you lose so much confidence when your body feels wrong and yet nothing you do makes any difference. 5:2 as changed that completely for me. It is such a relief!

U2by, how did your first Fast Day go? Easy? Hard? Success? Complete failure?

Beth, welcome back! So glad you had such a wonderful Hawaiian holiday! Congratulations on maintaining your weight! What lovely, good, new habits you must have! I hope it is easy to continue now you are home!

Thin, I am so glad you feel so much better after a lovely Fast Day. Yes, I agree exactly, a Fast Day is my reset button!
    I think Thursdays are working for me in that way now, even though I am having 800 or so calories, I still have that hungry afternoon followed by my miso soup (usually) and it has that nice reset effect, without being quite as much (mental) work as a ‘less than 500’ calorie Fast Day.
    I think I might update my profile to show my new routine!

Lael, those pancakes! They do sound delicious, but kudos to you for having the will to jettison them when you didn’t want more. Oh it is hard to throw out delicious food!

It is interesting to see how you go with the inulin.

I too am waiting to see how those continuing changes go, that people talk about. I need them with my odd shape! My bum is getting so skinny that I only have one pair of pyjama trousers that fit now, and only a few skirts, but I still carry weight around the top of my chest and shoulders, and those arm flaps. Being in my late fifties, and so sedentary (chronic illness) means my flesh is so soft (it is so weird to grow old) and I am sure younger people pop back into shape much more quickly! The changes are happening though! My upper arms are gradually looking more normal and not so much flesh squishes out the side of my bra! I think I will get there!

Well, I hope that wasn’t Too Much Information folks!

Intesha, welcome home. It sounds like a lovely cruise! Even with the bubbly on an empty stomach! Is today your fast day? I hope it is a good one! And on top of a 26 hours fast! Impressive!

Best wishes everyone!

Good morning all, another FD completed and managed well. I could feel the hunger kicking in mid afternoon and had 300g of rockmelon and I don’t think it made much difference, I reckon more water or a black tea have the same effect now, so I got busy (mowed the lawn) as getting busy definitely works best. I had 2 bottles of water to replace the beers that I would have on NFD’s which was another test completed.

Dinner was frittata with veggies and 2 slices of shaved salami total of 1800kj for the day.

Hi Joffy,

Good to read of your successful FD and those delicious foods you ate! They all sounded better than my usual FD LaZuppa soups!

Cinque, I sure know about those underarm flaps! Mine are as flabby as ever even at goal weight! Not sure they are actually visceral fat, so I’m not counting on the inulin to help there! You and I can be guinea pigs to see if they eventually reduce or become less flappy over the long term by continuing this WOL (way of life)!

Intesha, your home made kefir would be delicious and I too consider it to be the best probiotic! I used to make my own milk kefir from grains a neighbor gave me. I used to love that tart sourness of the milk kefir! I’d still be making it though a couple years ago, I went away for over a month and left them in the refrigerator and they died. I might go back to the neighbor and ask if she’s still making kefir and if she can spare some grains! I remember how beneficial the kefir was for my digestion and given the latest research on weight and intestinal flora, makes sense to do all we can and the kefir is so inexpensive to make.

Welcome u2by and can! How have you both been doing with this so far?

Today I had a class friend over for a study session. I made lunch of a delicious beetroot, carrot and ginger salad. I also served hummus with vegetable sticks for dipping. For a dessert treat I made a pea protein slice made with the pea protein, nuts, coconut oil, vanilla, cacao nibs and dates for sweetening. I didn’t put many dates in the mix, so the balance of sweet on my radar was fine and I’m thankful that it was nourishing enough to be satiating rather than starting me on cravings.

Hi everyone and to fellow newbies

Thanks so much Merry, Cinque and Thin for your encouragement. On Friday I began my FD after little sleep, so wasn’t my most enthusiastic, but a quick read of everyone’s posts gave me that extra boost and I went on to have my fourth successful FD (they just get better).

Cinque, I didn’t get so grumpy the next day, it had downgraded to mildly irritable which didn’t hang around for long, which is a relief. I’ve lost an inch around my waist and just enough around my upper arms to have felt comfortable (just) wearing a t-shirt with shorter sleeves to my dance class.

What’s upsetting is that just when I was starting to see and feel so much better, I’ve had to put 5:2 on hold whilst studying for exams. FDs are getting easier but they are still not second nature and require focus which I don’t have whilst focussing on study. It’s so frustrating as I was just getting into the swing of it and I really miss my FDs (can’t believe I just wrote that). Sorry for moaning.

Congrats Joffy, Lael, u2by, Cinque and Intesha for your successes, well done! Apologies if I’ve missed anyone!

Good morning all. Day after FD, 66.6, .3 lower than when I went on my cruise last Thursday. So to all you newbies life doesn’t come to an end on 5:2. If you’ve read some of the other posts where people have gone on trips or had days of bingeing it’s just all about getting back on the wagon and keep moving forward. This is a way of life and you just weave in the best you can. Aviatrix life happens so don’t be hard on yourself.

Wasn’t going to have a bet on the Melbourne Cup feeling slightly down after visiting my Mum on Monday, she is not doing well and has declined rapidly over the past few weeks. Anyway Dad talked me into having a bet as he said I always do and he offered to pay. I picked three horses at random. Won the Trifecta didn’t I, what a buzz that was.

Lael I make water kefir, you can buy the grains on eBay.

Cinque you made me laugh with your skinny bum. I’m now getting frustrated that my size 12 pants don’t fit, funny creatures aren’t we. I have to stop buying pants particularly until my weight settles whenever that will be. 65 was my goal but now, well…………..

Have a good day everyone.

Good morning everyone,

Went away for 2 weeks at 77kg, back Sunday, weighed in Monday at 76.4kg. Pretty happy about that. Nasty bout of gastro and now I’m 74.7kg. Happy to have reached my 2nd goal of 75kg but would rather have done it without the gastro 😣 Feeling completely wiped out…

Hi All,

Beth, I hope you feel better soon and that your energy levels are returning. I agree that shedding weight via an ailment is probably one of the least desirable methods! I reached my goal weight when I did, partly because I had a crop of mouth ulcers that made eating a painful endeavor! …Not a way I’d recommend to anyone! Great though that you had a really good holiday and returned lighter!!

Congratulations Intesha!!! Woohoo for winning the trifecta!!! So sorry to read of your mum’s decline. That wouldn’t be easy, though how thoughtful of your dad to fund the bet!

Glad your FDs are becoming easier Aviatrix! I’m studying a Diploma course at TAFE which is stressful enough. I’m constantly aware of eating emotionally when assignments are due, though exams is a whole other level and like you, not sure I’d be able to fast either in the lead up! Thankfully we don’t have exams at TAFE! You’re at Uni? Good on you!! …Sounds like you are taking care by choosing when to fast. I have to be careful about when I fast due to a health issue, so my FDs chop and change from week to week because of that, since I too need certain ducks to line up to merit scheduling one for a particular day.

Good morning everyone, it is a fine sunny morning in Melbourne and I am making my second pot of coffee :0

It is my half fast day now I have gone all maintenancy!

I like how you keep making your fast days fastier Joffy. Lawnmowing and big drinks of water! (Mine is going to be getting my business plan completed and big drinks of water!) (I’ll need that water after a second pot of coffee!)

Lael, it is so nice to know I am not alone with those underarm flaps! Come the day when we have nice straight upperarms to show off in our sleeveless summer dresses!

What a yummy treat you provided for your study pal! Especially the salad, made my mouth water!

Aviatrix, isn’t it hard to do ANYTHING when you haven’t had enough sleep! Congratulations for getting through your fast day anyway! And woot that the grumpiness wasn’t so bad. Hopefully it will fade more each fast day, and soon be completely gone!
    So envious of those shorter sleeves! Although wait, my arm circumference must be about half of what it was when I was at my fattest (30+kg heavier). (They don’t flop down past my elbows, when my arms hang down, any more 😉 ).

Best wishes for getting though the exams.
    Maybe, on the days that are usually your fast days, you can have a no snacks, no dessert policy or something like that so the ghost of your fast days are still there.
    But whether you do that or not, you have the unusual pleasure of getting back to fasting once that last exam is out of the way!
    I do know the feeling of missing them, it reminds me of when I used to do a run every morning at dawn and I would miss it if I couldn’t do it, even though it involved getting out of bed and hard work!

Intesha, Trifecta! Wow! What a lovely thing to happen when other things are so difficult.
    Sending you good wishes, thinking of your mum declining and what a hard time that is. Mum and child is such a powerful relationship. I was a step removed when my mum died a couple of years ago after a long decline of health complications including dementia, because of geography and my health, but it was still a long deep pain at that time.

Good luck finding some excellent size 10 trousers! You will be glad to hear I found some pyjama pants I put away for summer (wondering at the time if I really would be small enough to fit into them – and I am!).

Beth I hope you are recovering from the gastro! Doesn’t it wipe you out. But celebrations for the couple of kilos gone now! You can deal with the rest with normal fasting ok!

Better go now! Sending best wishes to everyone!

Good morning fasters and non fasters alike! slow morning here in Brisbane. I haven’t been around posting much or fasting for all that matter but kept reading the posts on and off while fighting with my lupus.
    Yesterday I felt ok-ish and did eat reasonably, today I’m doing a FD.
    I wish you all a great day and good luck with everything, life, diet, sickness. I also wish everyone new sexy arms, smaller pajama pants, and a healthy lifestyle! So nice to hear about all these progresses.

Elo

Lael, that’s interesting about the inulin, will have to read up on that.

Intesha, well done on the Melbourne Cup!! I used to work with a girl and she picked 3 random horses and won $12,000! Very exciting! I was away sick from work on Cup Day but had asked for some sweep tickets and when I went back to work today, I’d won $60!

Weighed in this morning at 74.4 so I lost exactly 2kg since Monday morning with the gastro thing. The past 2 days have only eaten white rice, white crackers and puréed apple – boring as but I wanted to make sure I didn’t upset my tummy any further so I followed Google’s advice (which aligned with my mothers long time advice). Will hopefully be able to introduce normal food (veggies etc) tomorrow.

7kg down means I’m almost halfway to my goal of losing about 16kg. This will put me at about 65kg and I’m about 5’7″ or 172cm. I put on weight in my 20’s & 30’s, lost it just prior to turning 40. I was 61kg at 40 years old so will see how 65kg feels at 54 years old and reassess then if need be. Can’t believe I even get to say this. There were many times over the last 14 years when I really thought this is what Im stuck with and it’s probably only going to get worse. So exciting to have something that works and is sustainable.

Feeling like I might have reached the point I’ve heard so many people talk about ie. give up sugary things and you’ll stop craving them. Have not bought lollies for 10 weeks I don’t think. Had one ice cream while away but threw half away. Can’t say the same for chips (crisps) – very tempted by them when I walk past them in the supermarket. And a cheese and cracker platter would be my certain undoing.

I have a question about breath…. I’ve often read that when you’re fasting and your body is burning ketones, your breath can be pretty bad. Quite a few times since I started this Ive felt like I have bad breath and a few times my husband (at my request) has advised I ‘need a mint’. Has anyone else experienced this and what do you do to fix it?

Sending good wishes to all those on here dealing with chronic illnesses that make this journey more difficult. Full credit to you for persevering and I hope this WOL brings positive changes above and beyond the weight loss.

Cheers
    Beth

Another beautiful Melbourne morning!
    Dreadful failure of a maintenance fast day yesterday! I was a bit off colour, and the couple of hours minding my granddaughter turned into 6, and I didn’t manage a meeting I wanted to, and then managed to eat a packet of twisties (haven’t had one of them in maybe twenty years!) as well as too much else.

Hooray that today is another day. I’ll make this one easy on my digestive system! I have started with herbal tea.

Eloelo, what is your lupus flareup like? They vary so much, and ofcourse I was hoping it was such a small one it had been and gone. I hope your FD went really well. Loved your post, so succinct and yet responsive!

Hi Beth, lovely weight loss, sugar cravings dying out, and a cup win!

I think my breath is often pongy, but I don’t think it is ketosis with me, I just don’t fast that hard! I researched, and it usually has to do with bacteria on our teeth and tongue (related to our gut bacteria) especially if our mouth is dry. Drinking plenty of water and brushing the tongue, as well as teeth, helps.
    I used to always have a coated tongue (even brushing it every day!), but that has got better over the last few months, so fingers crossed my breath is a bit sweeter too! That is thanks to 5:2, not because of it! But I do often use mouthwash before going out. Probably just as well I don’t have a husband! 😉

Oh well! Onto the day! Best wishes everyone!

Hi all still here been lurking having problems getting back on track doing a FD today.now to read posts.

Good morning everyone, great to see plenty of posting.
    Banged out another FD yesterday and feeling strong completing them. I wasn’t ready for dinner last night and was thinking I would go to the supermarket to get more eggs and veggies but got slack and went with a can of minestrone soup, which I have had before but I was worried it wouldn’t be enough for dinner. It was fine, I did considered having a slice or 2 of plain bread with it but decided not to as it was 4 days old. It is good to know that I can keep a can in the cupboard as a back up for them messy days.
    I wanted to make all my meals from fresh produce and from scratch to go with this WOL for the routine and symbolism when cooking low cal meals for myself. Back to it on Monday.
    Cinque, doing my business plan was probably the most exciting thing I’ve done (workwise), the dreaming and fears of the unknown, I hope your enjoying it and remember to re-visit it after your first year or two so as to compare with real numbers.
    I checked out the TDEE calculator last night and found I am allowed 3000kj on a FD, I’ve been aiming at 1800-2000kj as when we have been at McDonalds (kids) it says 8000kj is the daily amount but the calculator reckons I need 12000kj, I am over 6ft but that is a massive difference in numbers, I think I will keep to the 1800-200kj number as I have been.
    Meals for the day, 1 x white coffee 150kj, 300g of watermelon for lunch 300kj, a can of soup 800kj and a carrot 135kj in the evening. Total of 1385kj

Joffy, I love the way you strive to prepare and cook fresh food on FDs. I like the discipline of being in the kitchen on a FD, preparing food, resisting licking spoons and testing things and making a nutritious, satisfying meal between 200 and 300 cals. I also enjoy the routine and ease of grabbing a homemade cauliflower soup portion from the freezer (103cals), confident that it will see me through to 5pm. Like you, I also had 100gm watermelon on my last FD, having first checked on myfitnesspal, and was surprised that it’s so low cal, being so sweet.

I’ve just introduced my 14th person to 5:2 and always include a large file of recipes in my initial info package. I’m sure a lot of people think they have to survive on celery sticks and cottage cheese on FDs.

Lael and Cinque, you’re dreaming surely about the flabby arms disappearing over time spent on maintenance! I think we have to put in the hard work like Intesha to achieve that. I dislike weight lifting intensely so I just cover mine up. It’s great to read how you’re both managing maintenance and well done for getting there.

Lael, another Perth poster gave me some kefir grains a couple of years ago but instead of drying them out when we went away for a couple of months, I froze them and they were never the same. I must see if I can get some back that I gave away. Would milk kefir give the same effect as your inulin?

Beth, how well you’re doing! I was ‘undone’ by a large platter of cheese, etc last weekend. I’m back to my good weight after two fasts this week. Normally, I put what I intend to eat on a plate rather than constant grazing so I can see upfront what it looks like. I raised the question of halitosis when I first started 5:2. Not many people seemed to think they suffered (or maybe their families were less direct than mine!). It makes perfect sense to me since we’re ridding the body of fat through expiration. I know that overnight fasting isn’t enough to produce ketosis but I doubt there are many people who wake up in the morning with fresh breath! In the absence of food, digestive juices are still released but start to break down which can result in a foul odour. Fasting also results in less oral saliva leading to a dry mouth. Odour can arise due to the bacterial buildup that occurs as saliva isn’t present to remove it from the teeth and tongue. This coupled with the rise of digestive juices causes halitosis. Lovely topic. I use a tongue blade which I purchased in India. Other tips are regular brushing, flossing and drinking water.

Intesha, I’m sorry to hear of your mum’s decline. Merry, not long now until your departure. Have you two met yet?

Hope everyone else is going well. Have a wonderful weekend with lots of healthy food choices.

Hi thinatlast, Yep watermelon, rockmelon and strawberries are all 100kj (24cal) per 100grams which is awesome as when I had watermelon yesterday 300g is a bowl full or having a whole punnet of strawberries is only 250kj (60cal) and they are all sweet.
    I did post a website two pages ago that has all foods, raw and cooked all different ways and tells you the kj’s.

Hi Joffy, thanks for posting details of the website, I’ll look for it now. I have trouble dealing in kjs other than my ability to divide by four to get a somewhat incorrect calorie count. (I appreciate that kilojoule is the correct scientific term, but it just doesn’t mean anything to me).

I wondered about watermelon and insulin resistance as I’d understood it to have a high GI. I try to stay away from sweet things on FDs. I looked it up and the GI value is 72 so it has the potential to raise blood glucose. However, I found an article that offers some good news: the GI of a carbohydrate-containing food is an incomplete assessment and should not be used as the only yardstick for determining foods that can affect blood glucose, according to the University of Wisconsin Health. The glycemic load takes the GI into account, but also measures the quality and amount of carbohydrates in foods. Watermelon has a high GI, but there aren’t a lot of carbohydrates, so watermelon’s glycemic load is relatively low. You would have to eat a lot of watermelon for it to have a big impact on blood glucose.

Hi All,

Fermenting cultivations…

Thin, I’m not sure whether milk kefir would provide the same effect as inulin. Good question! I know that inulin, in the amount I’m building up to taking provides massive amounts of fiber and ‘prebiotic’ which is food that certain strains of good bacteria feed upon to multiply and grow, or at least that is my understanding. I know milk kefir provides good bacteria, though uncertain if it is a strain that would dine on the inulin!?! Maybe they are a good ‘hand in hand’ duo, the kefir and inulin together?

Intesha, I love water kefir! A friend of mine used to make it and I tried making it and not sure what I did wrong but I couldn’t get it to taste as good as my friends’, so gave up on it. I now make kombucha instead, which is similar and I admit I’m addicted to it! I let myself keep this addiction because like with the kefir I trust it supplies good bacteria to help improve digestion.

🙂 🙂 🙂

P.S. I hope this is okay, that I’ve cut and pasted this piece that you wrote, Merry, in another thread. It is so good, I just had to copy it here so I can easily refer back to it as a reminder for myself and to share with others. I’ve been relating my 5:2 experiences with a friend, who since bought a 5:2 book and came back with me saying… ‘So did I get it right? I just drink liquids 2 days a week, correct?’ I replied, ‘That’s not what I’m doing.’ I then found out that she happened to see a 5:2 book written by someone other than Dr. Mosley and bought it, assuming that it was written by whoever I was following! I’m aware that other authors have capitalized on Dr. Mosley’s work and often change and alter content. Merry’s piece below, to me sums up the essence of Dr. Mosley’s 5:2 and WOL:

Merry writes…

“5:2 doesn’t specify anything about fat, just calorie allowances for FDs and TDEE for nonFds. There are people successfully doing 5:2 on full fat, and low fat products. There are people successfully doing 5:2 on high fat, low fat, meat eating, vegetarian, vegan, paleo, lots of fruit, not much fruit, grains, no grains, potatoes, no potatoes, dairy, no dairy, sugar, some sugar, no sugar etc etc etc. Everyone does their own thing. There are people from all over the world and every continent on here. People eat according to their culture, religion, food philosophy, some have medical issues, allergies and need to eat specific ways, and so on………. So, what you eat is up to you. Probably the one thing everyone agrees on is added sugar being very bad for us. That said some say that but have honey whereas others wouldn’t etc so again what people eat is very individual.

“I would encourage you to eat food that you are familiar with to start off. Some people find starting 5:2 morenchallenging than others, so starting with familiar foods makes it easier for you. As you go along you will find that you naturally start to change how you eat to include some other foods and discard some that you’re not happy with. The forum is here for you to get adivce from and for you to give advice too.”

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ EXERCISES TO GET RID OF BINGO WINGS ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    (for Cinque and Lael)

Stand on a comfortable surface, where you have plenty of room at each side.

With a 5kg potato bag in each hand, extend your arms straight out from your sides and hold them there as long as you can. Try to reach a full minute, and then relax.

Each day you’ll find that you can hold this position for just a bit longer.

After a couple of weeks, move up to 10kg potato bags.

Then try 50kg potato bags and eventually try to get to where you can lift a 100kg potato bag in each hand and hold your arms straight for more than a full minute. (I’m at this level).

After you feel confident at that level, put a potato in each bag.

Viewing 50 posts - 9,451 through 9,500 (of 28,005 total)

You must be logged in to reply.