Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,903 replies, has 831 voices, and was last updated by  Anzac65 1 hour, 6 minutes ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 8,601 through 8,650 (of 28,007 total)

• Good morning everyone, a little bit of sun this morning!

Only the occasional sniffle or cough, so my cold is almost completely over. It was short and sharp. I wonder if my healthier, fasting self made a difference? Certainly I got onto cold and flu tablets at the first sign in the hope they could dry me up enough that the cold didn’t go to my chest (before my sister put me onto that trick, EVERY cold ended in a chest infection).

Lael, you are going wonderfully! Is today your second fast day of the week? Woot! How exciting! I am fasting too.
    Cheers to you too Judy, fellow Thursday faster!
    It is lovely that you have your head in the zone again!
    Did you end up getting any snow?

Lael, have you made a decision about the dessert? I love thinking up things to make for others, and I am just like you hesitating between fancy and simple!

Heaps to do today, so I will see if I can get started. Best wishes!

Ah, you are fasting today too Cinque! I’m in good company with you and Judy! Sounds like fasting has played a part in your swift recovery from the cold.

Yes, today is my second fasting day of the week. I’m going well so far.

I’m envious of the little bit of sun that shown your way. It has been all grey clouds and now rain here. You might have gotten snow Judy; do you live in an alpine region?

I’ve gone for something quite complex with regard to the dessert! The recipe is called ‘Dark and Salty Caramel Thyme Tarts’. Here is the link for you to check out, though I doubt mine will look as beautiful as in the photos, since I didn’t go all out and buy the Caramelised Buckinis Clusters used for garnish. I’m also a bit concerned that these might look a lot better than they taste! I’ve previously had that experience with so called healthy or raw versions of traditional type recipes. Often they look just as good though when you bite into them, they are somewhat bland and nondescript! I’ll let you know how they turn out!

Lol! I forgot to post the link to the dessert! Here it is:

https://lovingearth.net/blog/recipe/desserts/dark-salty-caramel-thyme-tarts/

Yum Lael, I hope it works out beautifully!

Well done Merry, slow and steady wins the race.

Lael, this way of life is amazing and once we get our heads around the way it works there is no stopping us. We all still fall off the wagon now and then and I have to admit that I fall off the wagon at least once a week. The munchy monster comes along and I just can’t seem to stop myself from stuffing myself with sugar laden cake/slices or chocolate but this WOL is not about denying ourselves but becoming aware of what we are eating. I can’t completely give up my treats.

My FD’s are Tuesday and Thursday so after yesterday’s FD ……. Drum roll……. 67.7. Only another .6 and I have lost 20kgs since February last year.

I’ve had two people comment this week. A lady I knew from Curves said you’ve lost more weight and my Dr who said you are getting smaller.

My daughter arrives next Saturday, she comes this time every year because of the U.K. summer holidays and I have been madly cleaning the house from top to bottom, this is my yearly spring clean. I bought bunk beads single/double as the little one is now three. Nearly killed myself yesterday trying to make the top bunk. If I hadn’t lost all this weight or been as fit as I am I probably would have had a heart-attack, several times I had to stand on the window sill just to tuck everything in.

Have a good day everyone.

Wow, Intesha only .6 or maybe less by now, to reach 20 kg milestone! Shedding that much definitely speaks to me of perseverance and that rings true to me too that this is about awareness rather than deprivation and sounds like this element is one ingredient in staying with it for the long term.

I hopped on the scale this morning and after yesterday’s FD noted that I was a couple hundred grams heavier than after my previous FD. I’m okay with this and am assuming that some healing has taken place under the surface and that my body isn’t yet ready to release any more fat at the moment. I haven’t been in this low 62 kg range for very long and am comfortably wearing some pants that only a month ago felt too tight for comfort so I’m happy. And no matter what the scale reported, I again feel clear headed, balanced in energy, focused and buoyant, which are priceless perks of this WOL!

As far as the dessert, once I got into making it, I definitely questioned my choice of tackling a new and complicated dessert recipe on a FD! In the middle of it all I realized that next time I’ll go for simple and familiar! Thankfully when I tasted the result this morning, I was pleasantly surprised and the dessert was also well received by those at the luncheon. They were even eager to take extra portions home with them! I’m relieved!

Hi Everyone
    Wow Intesha, you have done really well! I had the munchie monster here the last couple of weeks but this week I’ve done so much better and I’m not even tempted to snack. Im also not allowed to drink while on these antibiotics so thats helping too haha. Lael, ill have a look at that dessert recipe- I love it when visitors take leftovers home!
    Cinque, we didn’t get any snow . I live Outer Melbourne and a town near us was supposed to get snow. Im sure my granddaughter would’ve loved to have seen it!
    Im going to do a semi fast tomorrow as we have nothing planned. Im going on holiday in 5 weeks so want to be at my best then πŸ™‚

Hi all
    I’m another Aussie (Far Nth Coast NSW) newbie to this WOL, just 2 weeks in & feeling fabulous! So far I’m thinking this is all too good to be true, too easy. I’ve been doing my FDs on Mon & Thurs – work days seem the easiest, I ALWAYS need to start my day with a coffee with milk, then I’ve just been sipping on herbal tea through the day, plain miso soup (no tofu or anything else in it) for lunch & a heartier soup for dinner.
    I’ve also been tracking calories on normal eating days just out of curiosity, not living by it, & found that I’m just naturally eating less. Has anyone else found that it seems to reset their appetite?
    I also think it’s so interesting about all of the unexpected health benefits, when my whole life I’ve tried hard not to skip a meal through the false belief that it would totally stuff up my metabolism. So happy that myth has been busted!
    This is the first forum I’ve ever posted on… Sounds like a wonderfully supportive group of people here. I don’t personally know anyone else doing this WOL, so hoping I can chat occasionally here with you good people… πŸ€“

Welcome here Jazmac! So lovely to read that you have got into 5:2 with a swing!
    Isn’t it a treat! If only I had known this trick in my teenage years I could have gone my whole adult life without battling those extra kilos!

I found things exactly the same as you. Fasting feels so nice at the end of the day, and even better the next morning, and my appetite and tastes regulate themselves, especially at first.

I do have to add that since then (I’ve been going exactly a year this week) I have had some nasty fast days where I have been ratty and hungry and can’t concentrate, and some difficult non fast days when I have wanted to vacuum up food! It seems to go in waves. But even the difficult ones are doable, and I know that after a couple of weeks it will be back to easy ones again.

And in the meantime I have lost all those extra kilos and it feels absolutely wonderful.

Lael, I am so glad the dessert worked out well! Worth all the trouble! Especially if you could relax afterwards!

So glad you are concentrating more on the way you are feeling and the way your clothes feel, than what those dastardly scales say. They have a mind of their own!

I do hope your scales are saying the right thing Intesha! And what lovely comments you are getting!

I met with a lovely lovely person about my food project yesterday, but she was worried I might be ill. I certainly didn’t take offence because she is tiny and would like to put on weight, and works with a lot of people who are ill.
    Most people are used to my new size now. I am still losing weight, but very slowly, which is fine because I only have another kilo or two to lose (infact, I am fine without losing them, but I fancy being lean, and so I want to stop just above the lower level of my BMI range. Especially as I don’t have muscle to add a bit weight (although my super fit hairdresser has given me some good non-aerobic exercises I can do with ME/CFS that shouldn’t make me ill).

Judy are the antibiotics because of the minor surgery you had? I hope all is healing well. Snow would have been fun (if it is going to be that cold, why not have a show!) but it is a rare sight here, isn’t it.
    I hope you had a lovely semi fast!

It is day before fast day for me, and I have got an unexpected easy day so I am just planning to potter around and get the house a bit organised, and hopefully cook something delicious (and healthy of course!).

Best wishes everyone for a really lovely day.

Hi folks. Feeling pretty stoked at the moment. Just got back from this morning weigh in @ my doctor’s & I’ve hit my first major goal. I’ve now lost a little over 10% of my start weight. Still got a long way to go, but it’s good to be well on the way. That’s 19.4 kgs off. (Told you I’m a big boy.) Have a wonderful weekend.
    Welcome Jazmac. You’ll do great. πŸ™‚

Intesha and Cinque, this is so helpful for me to read about how you both go through munchie waves and/or sometimes difficult fasting days and simply continue with the program as is possible at the time and that eventually these waves pass. I will definitely keep in mind what you’ve both written since a whole different level/type of hunger can be triggered in me if I find myself in an emotionally challenging situation.

Cinque, well done for handling the comment from the woman who meant well, regarding her concern about you being ill. I had someone say something along same lines once which made me doubt what I was doing.

Intesha, how wonderful your daughter arrives today!

Judy, with the dessert, I added 1/2 teaspoon + salt into the base layer since the pinch of salt called for didn’t seem to me to do the name of the dessert justice! I also spooned a couple of blobs of rice malt into that base layer as well, thinking that would help it have at least a hint of caramel, since again, I saw no evidence of anything caramel like in the actual ingredient list except for in the garnish! …That was a part of the stress I felt as I was making it, that the ingredient list didn’t really match the imagined taste the name of the dessert conjured up for me! I’m so glad I tweaked as I went along! The good thing is that it really did taste like a healthy, only subtly sweet dessert and I’m happy to report that even though I ate two servings yesterday (one serving at the ladies luncheon and the other after dinner), this morning the scales revealed that I’m back at my recent all time low!

Hi jazmac75! I wonder if we are neighbors!?!? I live on the Tweed Coast at a place called Koala Beach.

Awww thanks for the warm welcomes 😊
    Lael, I guess in this great big country we kind of are neighbors, I’m out in the hills near Bangalow. Koala beach sounds like a beautiful place to live. I dream of living by the beach again one day….

Wow dan, what a great effort! Welcome jazmac. Im a bit envious of those who live so far North!! Although we are having a lovely sunny day here- my hubby is even suggesting I mow the front lawn while he’s out. I might even surprise him πŸ˜‰

Hey jazmac! Bangalow is a lovely spot! I love the weekly farmers market there and all the cute shops and cafes, Utopia being a favorite! You live in a beautiful part of the world!

Welcome jazmac, you’ve certainly picked the right forum to join. Everyone is very supportive and a wealth of knowledge. We are missing a few regulars at present due to holidays etc. but they will be posting again soon. We all think it is too good to be true in the beginning but perseverance and end goals makes it so worth it when you are suddenly faced with plateaus and feel like giving up.

Dan what a fantastic achievement, it’s not where you start but where you finish and you are well on your way.

Cinque my scales are laughing at me but I will win. I still can’t quite shake the 70’s at night but I’ve seen that magic 67 so I know it’s there.

Lael my daughter arrives next Saturday night if I make it till then. Had one of those days. Left a cloth in the laundry tub and flooded the laundry while I was washing. I was standing on my three step ladder and thought I was on the smaller one. Fell off and luckily the clothes basket with a large doona in it cushioned my fall and then I tripped over πŸ™ƒπŸ™ƒπŸ™ƒ

Yay Dan, great milestone! Congratulations! What a great journey to be on!

Lael it sounds like you are a wonderful foodmaker. Isn’t it true that a new recipe nearly always needs a bit of fiddling, and there is always that stress about how it will work, and whether you have fiddled the right way!

It is another lovely sunny day, but started off so cold I haven’t gone out yet. Even the cat didn’t go out until a little while ago!

I’m having a lovely slow morning playing ‘plants and zombies’ and listening to the radio (now The Insiders is finished) but I had better get my act together and do some sorting and cleaning while I can.

Intesha, hooray for the basket and doona! I hope today is an easier day!

Fast Day today. Lovely.

Hi everyone,

Another couple of days before I’m home again. A wee bit tired today, but enjoying being with my family. A family funeral in my son-in-laws family, last week, and helping with littlies on the day. They did well. Only did 1 FD last week and really looking forward to one tomorrow when OH and I will be on our own. Small birthday celebration tonight and another special one Tuesday. All systems go. Birthdays are a bit like lighthouses – we have to navigate the shoals and rocks around them so we don’t crash and sink!

jazmac – welcome πŸ™‚learn as you go along, ask questions, and you’ll be fine!

Dan – congratulations. Gonna start calling you Steadfast Dan, well done! You now definitely belong to the Southern Hemisphere success stories.

Not much time to post – last day with my little grandchildren, and lots to do! It’s been a bit colder than Zi expected and I’m really noticing it this winter. Don’t know if it’s because I’m so close to my goal weight and the fats not there any more or maybe it’s just in my head. My BMI is about 22.5 or so.

Onwards and downwards,
    Merry

Hi everyone! FD for me today! I work them around what I have to do otherwise, so each week they’ve been on different days so far. I actually felt really hungry this morning, though remembered reading others say that this often only lasts 10-15 minutes which did end up matching my experience! Thank goodness for this forum!

Dan, I’m so impressed with reading that you reached a major goal of 19.4 kg! Well done!

Intesha, I’ve done the very same thing with a cloth in a sink and flooded the whole downstairs floor of a unit once! Thankfully that floor was lino! I’m glad the doona in the laundry basket was there for a softer landing!

Merryme I love your birthday lighthouse analogy! So true!

Did you get the lawn mowed Judy?

Hi Merry, I wonder if you get home today! Hope it is a good trip!

I’m going to remember the lighthouse analogy too, it suits so many social engagements.

Lael I hope your fast day was a good one. Mine was, but it was a hungry one also! Like you say, the waves of hunger come and go, and I ended up with such a busy afternoon that it flew.

Today is cold and grey so I will have my pot of coffee and get some work done.

Cheers to anyone fasting today! And everyone not fasting!

Good morning all, have just washed all the outside Windows and did a little gardening. What a glorious day here in Sydney. Am now having coffee on the back verandah in the sun.

Cinque it wasn’t an FD for me yesterday but I just wanted to eat all day, must have something to do with the full moon coming. FD today and surprisingly scales were in a good mood, 67.7.

4 more sleeps until my daughter arrives, getting a little excited.

Hello!
    I’m Teri, I live in Sydney & I’m a 2nd try newbie! I started the first time about a year ago & only managed about 2 weeks…this time I want to give it a real try.

My husband has been doing 5:2 for about 4 weeks & has lost 8kg so I’m determined to support him (mainly by not having food in front of him!!!) & hopefully see some weight loss myself!

We have 4 kids & I work full time, I’m wondering how people who have to feed others & not themselves manage? I hate cooking but don’t want to resort to noodles or take away for them twice a week…

thanks for any advice, Teri

I have been feeding 4 your men for several years and for me planning is key, not only to save money and the frantic stress of wondering what we are going to eat. We menu plan as a family at the weekend for the coming week. I like cooking but will always batch cook so that I would make double portions and pop one in the freezer for another time. My boys like chilli and I don’t, they also like macaroni cheese and I don’t so they were both easy to prep and cook as there is no way I will feel tempted to eat them. Essentially, the boys ate what ever it was that they liked and I didn’t.

Try to avoid food shopping on a FD, much easier if you can avoid it.Have a look at ‘The Hairy Bikers’ chilli and Bolognaise-easy to do from scratch without those sugar filled jar sauces and much cheaper. Make 2 lots and pop one in the freezer.

If you want to lose weight, then you have to fast. Have a look at Robert Lustig and Jason Fung on You Tube.

Hi Teri,
    it is only two days a week that you won’t be eating what your family is eating. If you are like me, and prefer to just have a bowl of soup on the fast day, then that is pretty easy to organise (she says hopefully!).
    It could be a good habit to get into, to get your kids to cook themselves a (healthy) meal on your fast days, so you don’t even have to think about cooking.

The best trick for 5:2 is to make it a sustainable part of life, and most of us need to try things and then adjust them, and then tweak them a little bit more, before we get it nice and easy. Hopefully you will keep posting here and talk about your problems. Even if our ideas don’t suit, they might set off an idea in your brain that will work!

All power to you taking this on with 4 kids, a full time job, and a husband who needs your support! It is a big change to adjust to, but if you can do it, then your health, and your husbands health, will really make it worthwhile!

Also, Hi Intesha and Annette!
    Annette do you pick chilli day and macaroni cheese day for your fasts?
    Intesha what a lovely day yours sounds! And what good scales!

Easy, I loathe chilli and find macaroni cheese very bland and boring.

I like fish and my kids don’t. I decided a long time ago that whatever I ate on a FD was going to be something that I really loved, so I often have a salmon fillet(sprinkled with some chilli flakes and wrapped in a foil parcel and then baked for 20 minutes) with peas or salad. I like prawns and often have them too.

I ate a lot of leek and potato soup one winter and I am not sure that I could ever eat soup again! I have made loads of vegetable soup which is frozen in portions…but may never pass my lips. It is all trial and error.

Welcome Teri! I too plan and make extra ahead of time to serve others on my FD. My slow cooker is helpful for making extras to serve the next day. Annette’s tips sound very helpful. On my FD, I like the idea of serving things to my husband that he likes but that I don’t fancy.

Intesha, great news reading that you’ve shaken the 70s! You kept on with the program and the magic happened.

My FD on Monday was a bit more challenging than previous FDs. I think it didn’t help that I’d forgotten to take some of my thyroid replacement medication over the prior two days, so went into FD a bit hypo. In any case, I woke up the day after the fast feeling fabulous, so I can’t complain! This underscores the vigilance required on my part. You see, I have been feeling so well, it is easy to forget the thyroid medication! However, lack of it does eventually catch up! Also, I know I won’t shed fat if by default I end up slipping into a hypo state!

I’ll be fasting again tomorrow (Thursday) and I’m going to take the plunge and fast on a day I attend class at TAFE. I have a bit of trepidation, though feel I’ll be okay. My concern is I’ll over extend and end up feeling fatigued in after math. Effort required is to make the half hour drive each way and enough reserve of mental clarity to pay attention in class!

Brrr, cold, rainy Melbourne! Heater on, a big cup of tea, start of a Fast Day. Hello everyone!

But how was that big fat full moon last night! A truly wonderful one! It might have set me off eating too, Intesha! I had had such a busy day I didn’t get much lunch, so I ate a lovely evening meal, and then a plate of tortilla strips and cheese for a super snack.
    That’s okay! Occasional snacks allowed, and I will do a good fast day today.

Annette, I so agree with your philosophy of eating something really nice for your Fast Day meal (and every meal!). Mine is chicken miso soup with greens and mushrooms. Yum! Only 10 hours to wait for it πŸ˜‰

Lael, I guess it is a nice problem to have, to be feeling so well that you forget your medication! I bet you work out a good little reminder so you can’t accidentally sabotage your good health!

Cheers fellow Thursday Faster! I hope it works well at TAFE, with any luck, being busy will make the day fly by easily. I hope you can find something positive to do over lunch time (I’d just have a couple of cuppas).Let us know how you go!

Merry I hope you are ok! I’m missing you and Thin these days!

Best wishes to everyone!

Hi Cinque and everyone! I’m pretty sure that full moon kept me awake last night! I agree that it was the size of a dinner plate as it rose over the horizon and then shone so brightly through the gaps in our blinds!

I’ve resumed being diligent about taking the afternoon thyroid dose and am feeling much better. I’ve decided that better late than never is a good rule and am going to make sure I always take it by dinner if I’ve forgotten to take it earlier!

I’m surprised at how well I did today at TAFE on my FD!! I actually fared better than I did yesterday which was a NFD! For example, yesterday I felt spaced out and not very with it. Today my head was clearer and I seemed to have the energy that I lacked yesterday. I even got a couple of compliments from other students. One was a type of compliment I haven’t received in years. A woman my age came up to say I looked so good that I was ‘glowing’! I felt that way too, so it was a well appreciated acknowledgement.

Cinque as I reflect on the compliments today, I’m also aware that, like you, I too could eventually attract a well meaning person who might think that illness might be behind my thinning figure. In fact this also happened to me once too when I was in my twenties. Over a period of several months I’d intentionally shed a considerable amount of weight and an acquaintance had only witnessed such a thing take place in response to a particular underlying grave illness, so cautioned me! Well, I’m still here to tell this story, so all was well!

I’m kind of hungry, though haven’t eaten much so far today, so I’m looking forward to a heartier evening meal! Yum! I must say that magic has taken place with regard to my appreciation for food since starting this WOL. All food I eat tastes so much better, maybe because I on FDs at least, I eat when I’m hungry! What I’ve found is simply that food tastes better when I’m really hungry! …And that prior to this WOL I never really let myself get even close to hungry!

Good morning all. Well my daughters flight has just taken off from Heathrow, don’t you love technology, I can track her flight all the way.

Two FDs down this week and still stuck on 67.7. I was really hoping to get under but the body has other ideas.

Lael you are doing so well, that full moon has a lot to answer for, real mood changer.

Welcome TeriR, you’ve come to the right place for support and inspiration.

Good morning,
    I love that renewed pleasure in eating too, Lael! (having my breakfast after fast day now, yum!).

Intesha, best wishes for a great flight for your daughter! So exciting! And she has a three year old? What fun you will have. Is that 4 generations in the house? Precious times.

Cheers all!

Thanks Cinque. She has a 7yr old, Ava and Stanley is 3.

Yes the house will be jumping.

Oh two lovely ones! What a special time!

Hi all, my name is Lee and I started on Tuesday just gone.

It was surprisingly easy to stick to a fast, with a breakfast of scrambled eggs, slice of ham on top a portobello mushroom.
    I drank water and green tea and kept busy 😁 Dinner was some skinless chicken and a heap of veges.
    Tomorrow is my next fast day. I work shift work so it will be easier to do my fast days when I’m at home.

Hi everyone! Welcome Ferret! I’m somewhat new here too, only having started on this program about a month ago.

Intesha, by the time you read this, your daughter and kids may have already arrived! I trust they had a safe journey. I’m wondering if this is the first they’ve seen you since you commenced 5:2?

I hopped on the scales this morning in the aftermath of yesterday’s FD. The scale registered a 100 gram loss! If I had a scale that just registered weight I would be very disappointed after the effort I put in during the two FDs this week! However, my scale showed that I actually shifted fat and muscle percentages favorably. So here’s what took place over the past 9 days:

13 July:

62.3 kg.
    28.2% Fat
    32.9% Muscle
    49.7% Water/hydration

22 July:

62.2 kg.
    28.0% Fat
    33.0% Muscle
    49.9% Water/hydration

I take the above raw/stand alone numbers with a grain of salt since if I add up the Fat Muscle and Water percentages, they add up to more than 100%, which doesn’t make sense! So mainly I use these readings to track direction. So even though I only shed 100 grams over the span of 9 days which included 2 x FDs, the results reveal that I shed fat, gained muscle and improved hydration. I’ve had such difficulty raising the water/hydration number due to adrenal issues, so this is welcome news to see this healthy number returning! It’s been years since I’ve seen the Water/hydration numbers in the upper 40s, so I’m rapt! To me it is confirmation of healing that is taking place under the surface!

Hi Lee! Welcome here πŸ™‚
    Congratulations on your first fast! It was a lovely one!
    Best wishes for todays fast!

I’ve just passed my one year anniversary of my first fast, and it has been such a lovely year! For the first time in my adult life my eating has been easy and ordered, and I am now at a healthy weight.
    I knew it suited me from my first lovely fast day!

Intesha,
    I’m thinking of you joyously welcoming you daughter and grandkids at the airport too!

Congratulations Lael, you have a sensible way of looking at things. It will be the trends over time that are the important ones, and how you are feeling, and how your clothes are fitting!

Well it looks nice out the window than it did yesterday morning, but actually we have hit a cold spell! (Another chance to wear those very wintery clothes of mine πŸ˜‰ ). I am gearing up to my fast day tomorrow!

Best wishes for a good day everyone!

Good solid numbers there Lael! Keep up the great work πŸ™‚

Thanks Cinque πŸ™‚ I’m actually not that hungry today either and I haven’t eaten since 7.30pm last night. It doesn’t help that it’s the first day of the ‘red zone’ if you know what I mean πŸ˜›

It’s bloody chilly here in the southeast of SA, though the sun is out.

Hi everyone, and welcome to the Newbies!! 5:2 is great,as you will find out. You will have your own journey with your own individual quirks to work out but 5:2 works if you’re prepared to work it. Ask any question you want, read Dr Moseley’s and Mimi Spencer’s book, and get ready to for an interesting journey.

I’m home again and it’s been all systems go since we got back. NFD for me today and I might shift Monday’s FD may get shifted to tomorrow instead.
    Wore my new size 12 jacket for the 1st time todayπŸ™‚ Also it was lovely, while I was away, to have my children so excited about the result of my continued journey to normal on 5:2. One of my girls even screamed/squealed. “Oh Mum! Look at you! ” They remember when I looked like this before and so happy for me.

Must go,
    Onwards and Downwards,
    Merry

Good morning everyone,

It is chilly and sunny here this morning, the weather just arrived over from SA I guess! It is pretty gorgeous!

Lee, I hope your day ended well. I do know what you mean, I bet that effects all the women differently, ie how the cycle fits in with fasting!

Merry, Lovely to see your message! Woohoo for the size 12 jacket and the shriek of delight from your daughter!

I had a lazy hungry day yesterday, so very glad to have my fast day today!

Yes, Cinque my day ended well 😊Fasting didn’t make any difference to how crap I felt with cramps etc. I am finding that I don’t feel like eating much after a FD.

Next FD is Wednesday 😊

Hello everyone! Quickly giving you all a cheer on.

I’ve had such a busy day I’m going early to bed!

But I’ll just mention that I wore my (green label) Ralph Lauren trousers (that are getting a little loose on me), and the lovely styled red jumper that was fitting, and I felt so good! Thanks 5:2

Ofcourse, that was inside at my meeting! Outside I needed a scarf, hat, coat and mittens!

See you tomorrow!

Sending best wishes Lee, one nice thing about turning into an old lady is the end to all that!

Hi Everyone, good morning tomorrow Cinque! Hope you had a good sleep. Yay for nice clothes on our 5:2 normalised bodies!! Feels so good.

End, almost, of FD for me, and my cals so far are 291. My 1/4 of TDEE is 375 currently so aiming to be under that.

I’ll be more back to normal by the end of this week. My injuries are much much improved and I’m able to walk a bit of distance now and up and down stairs almost normally.

Hope all you newbies are going well. I’ll read back through your posts.

Onwards and downwards folks, and if you fall off the horse just get back on.
    Merry

Hi all, have a small window of sanity. The children have gone to the park for half an hour. It’s wonderful having them here but they are so full on. I had a little body crawl in with me this morning at 6.15.

FD today and all going as per usual but weight was slightly up 68.7.

Lael my scales also register all the extras when I do my full weekly weigh in and I have never really taken any notice of the water and muscle but I managed to find an early weigh in sheet.

When I was 84.5, water percentage was 36.6, muscle 16.2.

Now at 68.7, water 48.3, muscle 27.7. I’ll take more notice in future.

Merry welcome back what wonderful feedback from your family. My daughter hasn’t said anything about my further weight loss but I no longer crave approval I know I look good.

Hi everyone,

Hi Intesha! once again not able to get to a time for a meet up before your daughter arrives, but we will get there eventually!

NFD for me today. Hope all the Tuesday fasters are having a good FD.
    Onwards and Downwards,
    Merry

Merry I am SO glad to hear your injuries are getting better. What a relief!
    And it sounds like a great fast day!

Intesha, I am glad you got that small window! Much needed! And it is clear your grandchildren are just gorgeous. Happy Fast Day!
    It wasn’t until you said that bit about people not commenting any more, that I realised that is happening to me now. It is the end of that first fasting era when everyone kept being surprised. Nice.

It was lull day for me, a very nice busy day with good food. Next fast day is Thursday.

Hi Everyone
    Once again I’d fallen off the wagon and then don’t join the discussion here which would probably help me get back on track much quicker with all your encouragement. But then I was unwell and had no option but to fast!! So I’m determined to do better at both fasting and posting!
    Intesha, sounds like you are having fun with your grandkids- so nice when they hop into bed with you even if it is a bit early πŸ™‚ You are a great example of this WOL Cinque with a year under your (smaller haha) belt. I will join you in fasting on Thurday. It’s easier for me on a work day and then I don’t indulge in the creamy biscuits that are too accessible. My hubby is on afternoon shift so I’ll be home alone in the evening. This is often my downfall but I need to stay on track as I’m going on holidays in less than a month! Merryme, my TDEE is same as yours but at the moment I’m doing the 500 calls until I’m really back into the swing of things. I will even count the calls on my NFDs as I don’t think I’m eating enough on those days. Nice to meet you Lee. I’m usually starving on the morning after my fast but I try not to eat breakfast so my fast is longer. See you all tomorrow x

Good Morning All,
    Hey Judy – good to hear from youπŸ™‚ – I think just about everyone has had that “I stuffed up, (or thought I’ve stuffed up) , I feel guilty, I don’t want to post…….” Moments, or 2 or 3 or several more in my case, but the secret is that 5:2 is very forgiving of all sorts of things, and the 2 nd secret, as in life, is to just get back on the horse. Fall off the horse, get back on the horse and just keep going? It works. How do I know this……….. The world doesn’t end πŸ™‚ and the weight starts normalising again! Who’d’ve thought we could be so , well, normal, and the weight will still come off.

Intesha – enjoy those beautiful moments when the littlies open your eyelids and climb into bed with nanny – very precious. Not always enough energy to play “lump in the bed”, but we can summon it up from somewhere.

Merry

Good morning all

A quick check in, for me it’s week 4, early days & still feeling good, although the weight is not coming off as quickly now, I have stuck to my FDs really well, but have also had lots of blow outs on NFDs with lots of socialising (involving wine & cake) going on. But it’s all good 😊 Next FD tomorrow.
    Just wondering if anyone caught the Catalyst re-run on gut bacteria last night. Made me wonder about what effect fasting has on our gut health… Does anybody know more about this?

Jaz

Good morning!

So good to see your post Judy! I am sorry you have had a hard time, and I hope you are over that tummy bug now.

Hooray for 5:2. It is so easy to start again after a bad time.
    And it is an ongoing learning curve. I especially like the way the fast day gives me a break to consider what went wrong or right on the non fast days.

I have learnt so much on fast days, but I have learnt even more by thinking about non fast days, on fast days! haha.
    And what makes it easiest for me is planning ahead so that I have good, delicious meals ready, and then the trick is to work out what is going on when that isn’t enough for me. Oh wow, the psychology of eating! (especially mine πŸ˜‰ )

So glad you could check in too Jazmac! It looks like a few of us will be fasting on Thursday!
    It does seem to be the pattern that weight comes off quickly at first, and then slows (especially when all that socialising is going on!), but it doesn’t have to be quick fix, it just has to be a fix. And yay, it is!

I saw the Catalyst program previously, I might catch it again though! (hooray for iview).
    I am keenly watching the research on gut flora. It might play a part in my illness (ME/CFS). I think the research is still to early, although Dr Mercola has written an article about how fasting helps with gut flora. But all the signs are that the healthy bugs are much happier when we aren’t sending through lots of junk food, and are giving them lots of greens and other vegetables.

I bet we will find out more soon, the whole issue of the gut biome is getting a lot of attention, and hopefully lots of good funding!

Hi Merry, Hi everyone else too!
    It is wet and cold in Melbourne!
    I’m off to enjoy my day before fast day!

Hi everyone! This week I fasted on Monday and am again in fast mode today (Wednesday) or should I say ‘tonight’ since it evening and I’m about ready to heat up a serving of La Zuppa soup! You’ve been fasting today too Ferret! How are things going?

I saw the Catalyst episode on the gut flora and fell asleep at the end, woke up and nudged my partner asking ‘Well, did they end up recommending an amount of fiber to help with autoimmune diseases?’ He replied, ‘They reported that they’d go into that next week!’ I still factored in to consume 18 grams of fiber for today’s fast, just for good measure!

It was a joy reading and catching up with everyone’s posts! I feel in such good company here with all those who’ve been at this longer than I have and is also great to read how other newer fasters are faring!

Intesha, your hydration and muscle numbers speak volumes! I’ve been on diets in which both of those go down while fat percentages stay the same. Reading that your improvements match the trend of my results and underscores the efficacy of this WOL!

Jaz, I might have said that today also marks the completion of my 4th fasting week, so we must have started this around the same time! I also shed more kilograms over the first couple of weeks than these last two. I’m observing this and will see what transpires! I keep remembering a story of a woman who practiced 5:2 for 3 months without seeing any weight loss result, though after that the weight began falling off.

Cinque, Interesting about the pondering of NFDs during FDs! I feel FDs have given me clearer perspective and strength to align with what my body really needs. In this way I feel I’m becoming a better ‘mother’ to myself. I care more which is good.

Happy fasting for all of you who are fasting tomorrow!

Hi all,
    I had a busy day yesterday and ended up going to a big shopping mall with my daughter and granddaughters right on lunchtime. I had Vietnamese soup so that was a good choice. Otherwise it all went to plan.
    Today is a FD for me. I’ve made some bolonaise sauce that I’ll have on zoodles. Lunch is homemade pumpkin soup and a boiled egg.
    Have a great day everyone xx

Hello! It’s morning after fast day for me! Lovely! 😊

Lael and Judy, lovely to read your posts, And a nice theme of delicious soups Judy!
    Isn’t it lovely to be able to have Pho!

Lael you have a lovely philosophical way of doing the fasting.
    It does seem that our bodies are doing all sorts of fascinating things. I remember hearing someone talk about how her body kept changing for a few months after she had reached her goal weight and gone on maintenance.

I’ve got my granddaughter for a bit today ❀️ But I had better get some paperwork done first.

Just sitting up in bed listening to Red with my first cup of tea.
    Best wishes for a good day everyone 🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

Viewing 50 posts - 8,601 through 8,650 (of 28,007 total)

You must be logged in to reply.